A Different Time, A Better Time

By: Adrienne

Disclaimer: Xena and all other characters from Xena: Warrior Princess are not mine, they don’t belong to me. They belong to USA Universal Studios and all those other great people. All of the rest of the characters in this story are mine. There are also a few songs in the story, don’t worry this isn’t a musical. Just special times, like dancing, when a song is being played, so the songs aren’t mine either.

Sex Warning: Yes there is some sex between a male and female as well as implications towards sex in this story. It wouldn’t be a story with out a little lovemaking. If you’re not old enough to read it then don’t and if it’s too much for you, then my apologies, I have a very vivid imagination. <lol>

Subtext Warning: There’s a little cursing but nothing to run home and tell mother about. And there is also reference to two women being together. There is no more violence than your regular Xena episode.

Chapter 13: Wedding Preparations

The next month passed and they were now seeing the endings of winter and things concerning the wedding were starting to get a little bit crazy. “I appreciate the offer but I have someone else doing my wedding dress,” Xena said to Denise and Marguerite while they were adding some last minute touches to one of the many dresses that were being made for her. “And who is this other person?” Denise asked with her hand on her hip and Xena looked down at her, “you wouldn’t believe me if I told you,” she said. “Try me,” Denise said and Xena let out a breath, “Aphrodite, Aphrodite is the one making my dress,” Xena said and they both looked at her. “I don’t believe you,” Marguerite said and Denise nodded, “neither do I,” she said and Xena rolled her eyes and hunched her shoulders.

“That’s a problem for you, not me, just know that the wedding dress is under control,” Xena said and no sooner did she say that, there was a pink light in the room followed by pink sparkles and roses. “You called Xena, I was a little tied up,” Aphrodite said with a grin and Xena smiled at her. “I wasn’t actually calling for you, I was just telling Marguerite and Denise that you were doing my wedding dress,” Xena said as she looked over at their stunned face then back to Aphrodite. “Of course they didn’t believe me,” she said, “well that’s understandable, I don’t usually do such things for mortals but since you’re Athena’s Chosen, the best she’s had I might add, she totally loves you,” Aphrodite said, getting off of track for a moment.

“Anyway,” she said as she looked down at her nails more than likely thinking she needed a manicure, before she looked back up at Xena. “When I heard Xena was getting married and to your hunk of a son,” Aphrodite said as she walked over to Marguerite who just looked at her in amazement. “Do they say anything?” Aphrodite asked Xena who grinned, “yea but they’re just in shock, they’ve never been in the presence of a goddess, as beautiful as yourself,” Xena said and Aphrodite smiled at her. “That’s why I like you Xena, you always state the obvious truth,” she said then let out a breath. “Back to what I was saying, I insisted to Xena that I do her dress, as a favor of course, I’ll also be doing her hair and whatever else on the day of the wedding,” Aphrodite said as she ran her fingers through Xena’s hair and Xena moved out of the way.

“I can do my own hair for my wedding,” Xena said, “I’m sure you can but if you want to look absolutely fabulous for the hot Prince on that special day, so hot that he’ll want to jump you right there at the altar, you’ll let me do your hair,” Aphrodite said and Xena let out a breath. “Whatever,” she said then looked at Denise, “I’m going to ask Camilla to be my maid of honor, so can you do her dress?” Xena asked and Denise looked at her for a moment before she swallowed hard and nodded. “Xena…um you need at least two more people to be your bridesmaids, considering your brothers will be in the ceremony and I’m sure Virgil will be Ulysses’ best man.” Marguerite said and Xena nodded, “well that presents a dilemma, I don’t know anyone else who can be my bridesmaids,” Xena said then let out a breath. “Just something else to add to the list and think about,” she said then looked down at Denise who had gone back to work.

“Are you bout done yet?” Xena asked, getting a little impatient, this was definitely not her thing, “You need to learn patience Xena,” Denise said and Xena let out a breath. “I have patience, just not for this,” she said and Denise grinned at her as did Marguerite. “There, all finished,” Denise said ten minutes later and by that time, Aphrodite had not left the room, she was actually walking around looking at things. “I bet this bed has seen a lot of practice since you’ve arrived,” Aphrodite said as she looked down at the bed and Xena almost stuck herself on a pin as she eased the dress off. “You haven’t been watching have you Aphrodite?” Xena asked with a stern look in her eyes and the goddess held up her hands in defense, “easy blue eyes, I haven’t been watching, I’m not allowed to. Athena said you like your privacy,” she said and Xena nodded.

“Although if I were watching I could give you a few pointers,” she said and Xena chuckled at that as she pulled her shift on. “A few pointers on showing me how to pleasure the man I love, I think I have that down,” she said and Aphrodite nodded. “True but I can show you things that can make a grown man beg, after all, I am the goddess of Love and Sex, who better than me to teach you a couple of things.” She said and Xena let out a breath, “what sort of things are we talking about?” Marguerite asked and Xena looked at her then grinned, “well Marguerite, I didn’t think you had a wild, sexy side in you,” Xena said and Marguerite grinned as she hunched her shoulders. “You learn something new everyday,” she said then began walking towards Aphrodite.

“Now I don’t doubt that I know how to please Julian, I don’t doubt that at all but I am interested in those things that can make a grown man beg and I mean really beg,” she said and Aphrodite chuckled at her. “You’re getting you a hot mother-in-law Xena,” Aphrodite said. “So I see,” Xena said. “You know we should have a girls night, where we can talk about these kinds of things and have fun,” Marguerite suggested. “That is so totally a good idea and we can have facials, manicures, pedicures and oh, hot guys giving us hot oil massages,” Aphrodite said with such happiness in her eyes and the others laughed at her. “Anyone you want to invite is of course invited,” Aphrodite said to Xena who nodded. “And when would this magic night happen?” Xena asked, “as soon as you want it to,” she said and Xena thought about that.

“I’ll get back to you on that,” she said and Aphrodite nodded. Xena looked over to the door as it opened and Ulysses walked in. “Look at all these beautiful women in here, I’m a lucky man,” Ulysses said and they all smiled at him. “Aphrodite it’s always a pleasure to see you,” he said to her and Aphrodite smiled at him, “not as much as it is a pleasure to see you,” she said and Ulysses grinned at her and her flirtatious ways. “Well Xena that will be it for today, I’ll see you the day after tomorrow,” Denise said as she packed up her things and carefully handled the dress, “here let me help you Denise,” Marguerite said. “I’ll see you guys at dinner,” Marguerite said then grinned as Ulysses placed a kiss on her cheek and being the gentleman he was, he escorted them to the door.

When he walked back into the room, he looked at Xena who was picking a couple of things up off of the floor. “Hey, where’s my kiss?” He asked with a grin and Xena grinned as she met him half way, “I’m sorry,” she said as she leaned in and kissed him softly but passionately. “Mmmm,” Ulysses moaned when the kiss ended and they looked into each other’s eyes, “I’ve missed you,” he said and Xena smiled at that then leaned back in and kissed him once more. “Can I take that as a I missed you too?” He asked once the kiss ended and Xena chuckled at him, “yes you can and if we didn’t have company I’d show you how much I really missed you,” Xena whispered to him as she caressed his cheek.

“Hey, don’t let me stop you, I’ve see it all before,” she said then stood, since she had taken a seat on the bed. “But since we’re on that subject, where’s my kiss stud?” Aphrodite asked Ulysses who looked at her with a raised eyebrow, “excuse me?” He asked, “you heard me, where’s my kiss?” She asked as she walked up to him some and Ulysses cleared his throat and Xena chuckled at his predicament. “Aphrodite, I’m a one woman man, why must you mess with me so?” He asked with a grin as he wrapped his arm around Xena’s waist and she caressed his back. “Ummm…because I can and because I want a kiss,” she said after she thought about it for a split second. “Fine,” Ulysses said then leaned in and placed a kiss on her cheek, “there’s your kiss,” he said and Xena laughed into his arm.

“No, stud muffin, when I said I wanted a kiss, I meant I wanted one you would plant on your beloved when you desire her,” she said and Ulysses looked at her like she was crazy. “I’m not kissing you like that,” he said and she looked into his eyes, “why not? A kiss like that wouldn’t be hard, after all you desire me, what man doesn’t desire the Goddess of Love?” Aphrodite asked and Ulysses looked at her then at Xena who hunched her shoulders, “she’s…she’s Aphrodite, what can I say?” Xena asked and Ulysses looked at the goddess, “well I’m not kissing you that way, sorry,” he said and Aphrodite nodded. “I understand, after all if you can’t do it…” she started but Ulysses stopped her.

“Can’t?” He asked and Xena grinned as she shook her head to herself, Ulysses was playing right into Aphrodite’s hands, because Xena knew enough that when someone told Ulysses he couldn’t do something, he would prove to them he could, with or without their permission. “I never said I couldn’t kiss you like that, I said I wouldn’t, there’s a difference.” He said as he walked up to Aphrodite, “but understand I don’t know the word can’t, it means nothing to me, I can do anything I choose,” he said and Aphrodite nodded as she walked p to him. “Oh yeah?” She asked, “yeah,” he said, “then kiss me,” she said and Ulysses looked into her eyes and after a moments thought, he wrapped his arm around her waist and kissed her.

First the kiss was a passionate tasting of lips, that soon turned into a very heated, very passionate kiss, their tongues dueling with each other. “Mmmm,” Aphrodite moaned as she ran her fingers through Ulysses hair and he moaned as he pulled her closer and Xena just stood there and watched the whole thing with intrigue and amusement. A couple of minutes later when the kiss they were both out of breath and Ulysses loosened his hold on the Goddess, “see, I can do anything,” he said and Aphrodite grinned and nodded, “in deed you can,” she said then winked at Xena who grinned and Ulysses turned around and looked at Xena who raised an eyebrow at him. “I…I,” he stuttered, not knowing how to explain his behavior and his actions.

“I’ll deal with you in a minute,” Xena told Ulysses then looked at Aphrodite who was straightening her clothes. “Well I guess I’ll be catching some waves,” she said as she was about to leave. “Hold it,” Xena said and Aphrodite looked at her, “what? Did I forget something, did I break a nail?” She asked as she looked down at her fingers and Xena shook her head as she walked up to the goddess, “where’s my kiss?” Xena asked and Aphrodite looked at her for a minute before she responded, “are you kidding?” She asked and Xena shook her head, “you kissed my husband, so I get to kiss you,” Xena said. “He’s not your husband yet and what makes you think I want to give you a kiss?”

Aphrodite asked and Xena grinned as she stood in front of Aphrodite, “everyone knows that the goddess of Love has had her share of both men and women.” Xena said, “so?” Aphrodite said and Xena stepped closer, “you can’t stand here and tell me that you don’t find me attractive,” Xena said as she snaked her arm around Aphrodite’s waist and pulled her tighter against her. “You can’t tell me you don’t want to kiss me,” Xena said and Aphrodite grinned at her as she looked into Xena’s blue eyes, “not bad blue eyes, not bad,” she said, referring to Xena’s seduction skills. Xena looked into Aphrodite’s eyes for permission and when she found it she leaned in and kissed Aphrodite so softly and that soft kiss soon progressed to a passionate tasting of lips.

“Mmmm,” Aphrodite moaned as she tasted Xena’s lips and her hands went to Xena’s face as she held her there. Xena deepened the kiss more and as they continued to kiss, she pulled Aphrodite sheer throw down a little just so that she could feel her skin and it was oh so soft. Ulysses stood there, rooted in place, watching what was going on in front of him and it was making him hot and harder by the minute. Minutes later when the kiss finally ended, Aphrodite was breathless and she let out another moan as Xena leaned down and began placing soft kisses on her neck, it was then that she snapped out of this wonderful trance. “O-k-a-y warrior babe,” Aphrodite dragged out as she backed away from Xena who grinned at her. “You’re not the only one who knows how to play the game,” Xena said and Aphrodite nodded, “so I see and you’re also not as innocent as you seem to be,” she said and Xena grinned as she hunched her shoulders.

“Catch you later,” Aphrodite said then disappeared, Xena let out a breath then turned around and looked at Ulysses who had walked over to the table and poured himself a strong glass of wine and was gulping it down and Xena grinned at him. “You alright?” She asked as she walked over to him and he nodded and swallowed hard before he answered her, “yea, yea I’m good, you just caught me off guard,” he said and Xena nodded as she stood in front of him then without warning she placed her hand on the bulge straining against his pants. “Uhhh,” Ulysses groaned and Xena grinned, “I think I caught you a lot off guard,” she said and Ulysses nodded as he drained the rest of what was in his glass. “Would you like me to help you with this?” She asked as she caressed the bulge and Ulysses swallowed hard as he looked into Xena’s eyes, “if you would be so kind,” he said and Xena grinned as she leaned in and kissed him ever so softly.

However when the kiss ended she walked away, leaving Ulysses standing there, “hey,” he called and Xena turned and looked at him. “I think I’ll leave you in that state,” she said and Ulysses let out a breath. “Is this some kind of foreplay?” He asked and Xena shook her head, “nope, this is your punishment for kissing another woman, goddess or otherwise you don’t do it unless by some miracle you have my permission,” Xena said and Ulysses groaned. “Xena…baby,” he said and Xena shook her head, “maybe later I’ll take pity on you…maybe,” she said then walked into the living area and Ulysses let out a breath as he slowly walked over to the sofa and sat down. “You had to fall in love with and marry a woman whose more powerful than you in her own ways,” Ulysses said to himself. “What was that?” Xena asked, “nothing,” Ulysses said then let out a breath as he laid down on the sofa and tried to dose off before dinner.

When dinner came around, Ulysses was slightly less hard but the entire night he catered to Xena hand and foot and she loved it, even though he usually did it anyway. When they got back to the room Ulysses let out a breath as he began stripping, “I’m going to take a shower,” he said and Xena nodded and watched as he left and she grinned to herself, especially when she heard him say a cold shower. As Ulysses stood in the shower letting the cold water beat down on him, he realized it wasn’t helping his current state, the only thing that would help was the love of his life and at the moment she was still punishing him. So he took his shower then got out and dried off, he wrapped the towel around his waist then walked into the bedroom. Xena had already gotten ready for bed and was sitting in bed reading a scroll, “Ulysses you hold court every week?”

Xena asked and Ulysses nodded as he sat down on his side of the bed, “our court deals with more than just punishment for those who are in the dungeons, it’s also a time for people to approach the King with concerns and petitions and things of that nature.” He said as he laid down on his back and Xena nodded as she went back to reading. “It says here that no one can really contest the King’s decision,” Xena said, “only royal blood can contest a decision he makes, so I can contest it, my mother or my sister, that’s it,” Ulysses said and Xena nodded. “Xena,” Ulysses called after a couple of minutes, “huh?” Xena asked as she continued reading, “please, I’m sorry, I swear I’ll never kiss Aphrodite again and you know I would never kiss another woman,” Ulysses said and Xena looked at him, looked into his eyes and nodded.

“Just let me finish reading this,” she said and Ulysses nodded and Xena grinned as she watched with her peripheral vision, him take off his towel and he threw it across the room and got settled under the covers. Ten minutes later when she was finished, she began rolling up the scroll, “you finished?” He asked, “yep,” Xena said as she finished rolling up the scroll and placed it on nightstand and then Ulysses just jumped onto her and Xena laughed at him. “Care to take your time?” Xena asked and Ulysses shook his head as he helped Xena take all of her clothes off until she was naked beneath him. “It won’t be as slow as we usually take it but I guarantee that you’ll enjoy it,” Ulysses said and before Xena could get another word out he kissed her passionately and settled himself between her legs.

Now even though he wanted to just get his pleasure and release, he couldn’t help but at least exploring Xena’s body a little and that’s what he did. When he was done, she was dripping wet, which was also what he was doing and as they shared a kiss so passionate, he eased his erect cock into her. “Unnngh,” Xena moaned as she ended the kiss and Ulysses rested his lips against Xena’s cheek as he pulled out and pushed back in, slowly developing a rhythm. “Gods,” Xena moaned as she caressed Ulysses’ face, she had no idea how aroused he was and now she knew, now she really knew as he stretched her and caused great deal of pleasure for them both. Soon the room was filled with moans and cries of pleasure and forty-five minutes later they both released and Ulysses fell back on the bed, sweaty, his heart pounding and a great big smile on his face.

Xena was in the same condition and when she caught her breath some she looked over at Ulysses. “I…I ought to punish you more often,” she said between trying to catch her breath and Ulysses chuckled at her. “Yea and no,” he said and they both laughed then he let out a breath as he rolled onto his side and looked at Xena. “I realized something today,” he said and Xena turned her head and looked at him. “And what was that?” She asked and Ulysses grinned, “I knew a long time ago that I would never want anyone else, sexually or otherwise but today I learned that my body feels the same way,” he said and Xena chuckled at him. “What?” She asked with a smile on her face as she rolled onto her side facing him, “kissing Aphrodite was nice, don’t get me wrong and it stirred feelings of desire but that’s what she is. But when you kiss me…” he said then let out a breath and shook his head and Xena smiled at him as she ran her finger down his sweaty arm.

“That desire is a thousand fold, not to mention the need and the passion, it just completely takes hold of me,” he said and Ulysses grinned at him. “And of course when you left me in that…need I say between a rock and a hard place,” he said and Xena laughed at him and he laughed with her as she pushed him. “I tried to get some relief by thinking of something that wasn’t arousing but whatever I thought of led back to you and when I tired to get some relief in the very cold shower, it didn’t do a thing,” he said then swallowed since he was probably thirsty. “It was clear then that my body was telling me, all it wanted was you, you were the only thing, the only person who could release this inferno in me,” he said and Xena grinned as she rolled Ulysses onto his back and she laid on top of him.

“That’s good to hear because you know I feel the exact same way,” she said and Ulysses grinned as he ran his fingers through her hair. Xena let out a breath of content as she laid her head down on his shoulder and he caressed her back, “I noticed that my little kiss with Aphrodite really turned you on,” Xena said. “It did,” he said then placed a kiss on her forehead, “I think in the future if you want, that may be something we can explore,” Xena said and Ulysses let out a breath as he tightened his arms around Xena. “Yea, maybe in the future, way in the future, I’m not ready to share you just yet, don’t know if I’ll ever be ready to share you,” he said and Xena chuckled and nodded then placed a kiss on his chest. They laid there for a while, a little talking and a little cuddling before they finally succumbed to sleep.

The next morning when they woke up, they took a shower together, having fun as well as doing a little of the other kind of fun. When they got out they began to get dressed, “can you believe that the wedding is a month away?” Xena asked as she brushed her hair and Ulysses grinned as he stood there in nothing but a towel as he looked over a document, “are you nervous?” He asked as he looked at her, “no,” she immediately answered, “are you?” She asked as she looked at him through the mirror and Ulysses shook his head. “Why be nervous about something that’s already written in our hearts,” he said and Xena smiled at that then shook her head. “Speaking of written,” she said as she went to her closet to pick out a dress to wear, “the priestess wants to know if we’re going to write our own vows or should she just do something traditional?”

Xena said and Ulysses sat the scroll down and began to put on his pants, “I think it would be more personal if we wrote and said our own vows as well as doing some of the traditional,” he said and Xena nodded as she sat down and put on her shoes. “That’s a good idea,” she said, “you know you can still help with the wedding,” she said and Ulysses grinned as he put on his shirt and Xena walked over to him and helped him button it, although he needed no help. “I’m helping now,” he said and Xena nodded, “besides in a couple of weeks, your mother, Corrinna, Lyceus and Toris will be here to help you,” he said and Xena snorted at that. “Mother and Corrinna will help but Lyceus and Toris will be doing just what you’re doing, nothing,” she said then leaned in and kissed him softly before she walked back over to the dresser.

“Hey, planning weddings is a woman thing. What do I know about what colors and fabrics to pick out? What the cake should look like? Things like that,” he said and Xena looked at him, “and I’m supposed to know? I’m not your typical woman remember, I don’t know a thing about planning weddings, Tartarus I never even thought I would get married. But here I am, planning a wedding because I’m getting married, at least I’m trying,” she told Ulysses then shook her head at him, “you could try but I understand,” she said and Ulysses looked at her and walked over to her until he was standing behind her and he placed a kiss on her shoulder as he stooped down and looked at her in the mirror, while she was sitting down fixing her hair. “Do you really want me to help you plan for the wedding?” Ulysses asked and Xena turned and looked at him, “it’s our wedding, so yes I would like for you to help,” she said and Ulysses looked into her eyes and let out a breath. “Alright, what would you like me to do?” He asked and Xena looked at him with a grin, “really? You’re really going to help?” She asked and Ulysses grinned at her as he placed a lock of hair behind her ear, “I’m really going to help, so tell me what needs to be done and I’ll get it done,” he said and Xena nodded then pulled out a list and Ulysses looked at it.

“Wow, that’s a lot,” he said and Xena nodded, “no kidding,” she said then looked over the list. “Got that, got that, your mom’s got that,” Xena said as she went through the list. “Ah, here’s something for you to do,” Xena said. “What is it?” He asked, “I’ll tell you after breakfast,” she said and Ulysses nodded and finished getting dressed. When they were ready they headed for the dinning hall, where they sat down for breakfast, “Camilla, I’ve been meaning to ask you something,” Xena said and Camilla looked at her. “What?” She asked and Xena cleared her throat as she looked at her, “I know we haven’t quite gotten along much since I’ve gotten here and I know your reasons and I respect them,” she said and Camilla looked at her and nodded.

“But I was wondering if you would do me the honor of being my maid of honor?” Xena asked and Camilla sat there looking stunned and Ulysses just smiled. “I know we haven’t exactly seen eye to eye but I know if we just sat down and talked we could become good friends,” Xena said and Camilla looked at her then at Ulysses. “It’s up to you little sister,” he said, not going to pressure her into anything and Camilla thought about it for a moment then looked at Xena, “okay, I’ll be your maid of honor,” she said and Xena smiled. “On one condition,” she said and Xena looked at her, “name it,” she said, “you don’t make me wear some hideous dress,” she said with a grin and Xena smiled. “I swear,” she said and Camilla smiled at her.

When breakfast was over Ulysses pulled Camilla to the side and gave her a hug, “thank you,” he said and she grinned at him. “No problem, I see how much you love her and how much she loves you. I won’t stand in the way of your happiness and neither will anyone else,” she said and Ulysses nodded. “Ulysses come on,” Xena called and Ulysses grinned at his sister, “duty calls, Xena wants me to help her with the wedding,” he said and Camilla smiled at him. “Good luck, I’m seeing to the dinner after the wedding,” she said and Ulysses looked at her with surprise in his eyes. “I didn’t know you were helping,” he said and Camilla nodded.

“Mom asked me to help,” she said and Ulysses nodded, “I’m glad you decided to help, and get to know Xena, I think you’ll like her,” he said then winked at her before he walked away. “See you later bumble bee,” he called her and she laughed at him, “you haven’t called me that in ages,” she said and he smiled at her before he ran to catch up to Xena and his mother. “Where are we going?” He asked, “to the garden,” Xena said and Ulysses nodded, “that’s right, that’s where you said you wanted to have the wedding if you approved of how beautiful I said the garden was,” he said and Xena smiled at him as she grabbed his hand. “It’s nice to know you listen,” she said and he looked at her, “I always listen,” he said, “I wish you’d listen to your parents the same way,” Marguerite said and Ulysses grinned as he placed his free arm around his mother, then placed a kiss on her forehead.

“I do listen to you guys…sometimes,” he said and they all laughed. When they reached the garden Xena and his mother began to explain to him the way they had envisioned things. “What do you think? Day wedding or evening wedding?” Xena asked Ulysses and he looked at her, “I think a day wedding would look more beautiful,” he said and Xena nodded. “You two are too much alike,” Marguerite said with a grin and they grinned with her. “Okay the guests would enter from here,” Xena said, directing her attention to the double doors they had just come through. “By the way, have the invitations been sent out?” Xena asked Marguerite, “they have, so far a hundred have said they’re coming,” she said and Xena looked at her. “I don’t even know a hundred people,” she said and Marguerite nodded. “Neither did I for my wedding but we have to invite neighboring Kings, those who we have treaties with, nobles, people of that nature just to make sure things stay friendly.”

Marguerite said and Xena let out a breath and nodded, “okay, well how many invitations did you send out?” She asked, “two hundred and fifty,” she said and Xena’s eyes nearly came out of her head. “Mother,” Ulysses said as he looked at her, “I think I can speak for Xena when I say, we wanted a small wedding, medium sized at best. You’ve nearly invited three hundred people,” he said and she looked at her son before she placed a calming hand on his arm. “It’ll be fine, besides, it’s not like we don’t have the room,” she said. “That’s not the point,” Xena said, “I know what the point is but like I said, these people had to be invited,” she said. “Oh Ulysses is there anyone you wanted to invite that’s not here on the island?”

Marguerite asked her son and Ulysses nodded, “yea and they have already been informed but I assure you, its definitely not a hundred people,” he said in a sarcastic tone and Xena chuckled at him while Marguerite shook her head at her son. “Now, back to what we were doing,” she said and Xena let out a breath. “Anyway, Ulysses I need you to talk to the gardeners and have them do things exactly as I’ve asked. I want everything to be perfect,” Xena said and Ulysses nodded, “okay, what is it that you want done?” He asked and from there they took a tour of where the wedding would be held and Xena pointed out various things that she wanted done, what flowers she wanted where, how low the grass should be cut and the list went on until about an hour later she was finished and by then Ulysses had to send for ink, quill and parchment to write all of that down. “Did you get all of that?” Xena asked Ulysses as they headed back towards the palace, “barely,” he mumbled to himself then went over the list with Xena as they continued to walk.

“Okay, you think you can handle it?” She asked and Ulysses nodded, “I can handle it, even if I have to get dirty myself,” he said and Xena smiled at that. “Good, then I’ll see you later,” she said then leaned in and kissed him softly before she and Marguerite left. Ulysses looked down at the list and let out a breath before he went to rally the gardeners and one of the builders. “Since we’re getting closer and closer to the wedding Xena, some of those things we talked about early on should start being done now,” Marguerite said and Xena looked at her as they slowly walked through the halls.

“What kinds of things?” Xena asked and Marguerite let out a breath, “well for one, you and Ulysses have to go and talk with Lassa everyday up until the day before your wedding.” She said, “what good is talking to Athena’s priestess going to do?” Xena asked, “Talking with Lassa is to prepare you for marriage, to get some things out in the open, like secrets, feelings, fears and also to see how compatible you guys are. It’s to help you really,” she said and Xena nodded. “Okay, that sounds reasonable, what else?” She asked as they made their way towards Marguerite’s chambers. “Well you’re going to have to have a full medical look over by Pyres, our healer, Ulysses has to have one as well, but your will entail a few more things, nothing painful and nothing to worry about.”

Marguerite said and Xena nodded and by then they were at the room and walking in, where they sat down on the sofa and Marguerite continued to explain to Xena. “Also, two weeks before your wedding, you and Ulysses have to abstain from sex,” she said and Xena looked at her. “What? Why?” She asked, “before the wedding you and Ulysses will each go through your own purification rituals and it is important that you and he not have sex two weeks before the wedding.” She said and Xena let out a breath, “he’s not going to like that, cause I know I don’t like it,” she said and Marguerite grinned at her. “I’m sure you’ll survive,” she said and Xena nodded. “Is there anything else?” Xena asked and Marguerite shook her head, “nothing that comes to mind, this is all done for records of course, few of the advisors look over them, one noble, my signature as well as Julian’s and the priestess and then it goes into the private archives,” she said and Xena nodded.

“So it’s for approval sake?” Xena said and Marguerite grinned and nodded, “now you’re getting the hang of things, we do all of that just to make sure that there isn’t any problems, so that no one can contest anything, inside the kingdom or out, and Ithaca runs smoothly; Julian hates when the kingdom is in a disarray.” She said and Xena nodded and let out a breath, “so when does all of this begin?” She asked, “your sessions with Lassa start tomorrow and your trip to the healer’s is the day after tomorrow,” she said and Xena nodded. “Until then we should continue with preparations for the wedding,” Marguerite said and Xena let out a breath and nodded. “When is your family coming?” Marguerite asked and Xena looked at her, “the end of next week,” she said and Marguerite nodded. “I bet you’ll be happy to see them,” she said and Xena grinned and nodded. “I will be, I haven’t told Ulysses but I’ve been homesick a couple of times, I really miss them, especially my mother around this time,” she said and Marguerite nodded as she placed her hand on her arm.

“I understand completely, I was the same way for my wedding,” Marguerite said and Xena grinned at her, “you’ve been a great help though Marguerite,” Xena said and the woman smiled at her. “You did tell Camilla that my mother would see to the food, I talked it over with Marina and she says she doesn’t mind that mom helps when she gets here,” Xena said and Marguerite nodded. “Well, we’re not going to really have seating arrangements, the most important table will be our table,” Marguerite said then pulled out a parchment with a drawing on it to show Xena what she had come up with. “In stead of Julian sitting at the head of the table, we’re only going to sit on one side of the table. You and Ulysses will be in the middle, Virgil next to him, Camilla next to you and so on. That table will be up on the stage sort of and then Julian and I, along with your mother and will Corrinna be coming?”

Marguerite asked and Xena nodded, “of course, you do know that she and my mother are a couple right?” Xena asked and Marguerite looked at her with shock on her face, “no I didn’t know that, they…I never saw…” Marguerite said and Xena grinned and placed a hand on her arm. “You wouldn’t see any signs, that kind of love wouldn’t be too accepted in Amphipolis, not a lot is accepted in Amphipolis, so they keep it to the privacy of their room and when they’re around me and my brothers or others they trust. They probably didn’t show it around you because they weren’t sure how you would react,” Xena said and Marguerite nodded. “That’s understandable,” she said, “it’s not something you hear of around here, I guess people keep that sort of thing under wraps as well but I’m okay with it as I’m sure Julian will be, so they don’t have to hide it from us.”

Marguerite said and Xena grinned and nodded, “that’s good to hear,” she said then Marguerite let out a breath. “Back to the wedding, Julian and I, your mother and Corrinna as well as Virgil’s parents and a few of the other nobles that we’re friends with, will sit at the table with us, but that day will be all about you,” she said with a grin and Xena smiled as she nodded. The day passed quickly as Xena and Marguerite went over wedding preparations, Camilla and Clarisse joining them and they wound up having a good time. Two hours after lunch they decided to go and see what progress Ulysses was making in the garden and when they got there, they found Ulysses and Virgil hard at work with moving things around and Ulysses was building a small stone wall, like Xena had asked.

Since the work they were doing was hard, they had their shirts off and a light sheen of sweat covered them. Xena could also see a few of the gardeners tending to something else she had asked for. “Look out, men at work,” Marguerite said and Xena smiled as she looked at Ulysses who looked at her as he placed a large stone on his shoulder and carried it over to the wall. Xena was looking at Ulysses, thinking to herself about how good he looked and unnoticed by anyone else, Camilla was checking out Virgil and when he felt eyes on him he looked up but by then Camilla had looked away. “What are you guys doing here?” Ulysses asked as he wiped his hands on a towel as he walked up to Xena, “we were just seeing how things were coming along,” Xena said.

“And it looks to me as if they’re coming along nicely,” she said then looked back at Ulysses or rather over Ulysses’ delicious looking body and he grinned at her. “I’m glad you approve,” he said and Xena nodded, “did you guys stop for lunch?” She asked and Ulysses nodded as he walked over and picked up a water skin and took a couple of gulps. “Yeah, we ate a while ago,” he said and Xena nodded and continued to look over Ulysses before she snapped out of her day dreaming. “Well, I’ll see you at dinner,” she said and Ulysses grinned and nodded and Xena turned to walk away. “Xena,” he called and she turned and looked at him, “I think you’re forgetting something,” he said and she turned and looked at him.

“And that would be?” She asked and he grinned as he crooked his finger at her and she looked down for a moment before she walked over to him and once she was standing in front of him. He looked into her eyes as he pulled on her dress, pulling her closer to him before he leaned in and kissed her softly and the kiss was a nice, soft, passionate, tasting of lips and when it ended Xena’s eyes were still closed and Ulysses grinned as he looked at her and caressed his cheek. “You should be going,” he said and Xena opened her eyes and looked into his eyes, “huh,” she said and they all laughed at her and she leaned into his chest from embarrassment. “Going, yes, I have things to do,” she said then placed a kiss on Ulysses’ cheek before she turned and left with the others.

They continued to move on and before anyone knew it, dinner was upon them. Ulysses and Virgil left the garden at the last possible moment and headed to their chambers to take a quick shower and get dressed for dinner. They met up at the dinning hall then walked in and over to the table, “sorry we’re late, we had to get cleaned up,” Ulysses said as he sat down next to Xena who handed him a glass of wine and he showed his appreciation by leaning in and giving her a sweet kiss. “I hear you’ve been doing gardening work?” Julian said to his son with a grin and Ulysses grinned at his father, “yes I have, Xena wanted some things done to the garden for the wedding and so I’m seeing to them,” he said and Julian nodded.

“Well as long as they don’t have you trying on dresses…” Julian said with laughter in his voice and Ulysses chuckled at his father. “I don’t think its going to go that far,” he said. “Speaking of which,” Marguerite said interrupting their friendly banter, “Julian you and Ulysses need to go and see Denise about getting fit for your clothes for the wedding, especially you Ulysses,” she said and Ulysses nodded. “I’ll do it tomorrow,” he said then dove into his plate of food that had been placed right it from of him. “That goes for you too Virgil,” Xena said and Virgil groaned, “I hate getting fitted for things,” he said, “imagine how I feel, I’ve been getting fitted for dress all week,” she said and he let out a breath and went back to eating.

When dinner was over, they sat there for a while eating dessert and talking amongst themselves just having a good time. When it got later on, one by one they began to excuse themselves, until no one was left at the table. When Xena and Ulysses got back to their chambers, Xena sat down in a chair, kicked off her shoes and let out a breath as she got ready for bed. She grabbed a few things from the desk then flopped down onto the bed and began looking over some of the parchments, some dealing with Athena’s temples and others dealing with the wedding. When Ulysses walked into the bedroom from the bath chamber he got ready for bed then got in on his side of the bed letting out a breath as he laid on his back.

“Ulysses,” Xena called, “hmm?” He asked as he relaxed his eyes, “your mother informed me today that we have to have daily talks with Lassa until the day before our wedding,” she said and he opened his eyes and looked at her. “What for?” He asked, “I guess it’s a counseling thing, to make sure marriage is what we want, what we’re ready for, that sort of thing,” she said and Ulysses let out a breath and closed his eyes. “Okay,” he said and Xena nodded, “I’m glad you agree because our first talk, starts tomorrow after lunch,” she said and Ulysses groaned and nodded. “I’ll be there,” he said and Xena nodded. “Also you have to have a medical check up by Pyres as do I, it’s required for the records,” Xena said and Ulysses nodded.

“Anything else?” He asked, “well, there is one more thing but you’re not going to like it,” she said and Ulysses opened his eyes and looked at her. “What is it?” He asked and Xena let out a breath as she looked at him, “we have to stop having sex two weeks before our wedding,” she said. “What?” He asked as he sat up and Xena sat up as well, “I know, I know but your mother says it has something to do with some kind of purification ritual we have to go through,” she said and Ulysses let out a breath and he flopped back down on the bed. “This wedding business is beginning to be a bit much,” he said as he brought his hand up and rubbed his temple and Xena leaned over and caressed his chest.

“I know, believe me I know, I never knew there was so much to do for one day,” Xena said then placed her hand on Ulysses’ cheek and he opened his eyes and looked into her. “But it’ll be worth it, on our wedding day to have ever thing perfect and beautiful,” Xena said and Ulysses let out a breath and nodded. “I guess so,” he said then picked up Xena’s hand and placed a kiss on the back of it. “I know you told me that you never thought you would get married but you must have dreamed about what your wedding would be like if you got married?” Ulysses asked and Xena let out a breath as she laid there and thought about that, “well it wasn’t much really, after all, not even in my wildest dreams did I think I would be marrying a Prince,” Xena said with a grin and Ulysses smiled.

“But I always thought it would be a small wedding of course, since I’m not that popular in Amphipolis, of course if I would have married Maphias that might have changed but that’s the past. I always dreamed that it would be close family and friends, of course the man I love, Toris and Lyceus would fight about who would give me away, like I’m sure they’re going to do when they get here.” She said and Ulysses chuckled at that, “we would have it in the back yard of the Inn, flowers lined everywhere and my mother would make my wedding dress. And on my wedding day she would look at me with such pride and happiness in her eyes and I’d know I had finally become the daughter she could be proud of,” Xena said and by then she had cuddled closer to Ulysses and he wrapped his arm around her.

“I think she’s proud of you now,” he said and Xena nodded, “I suppose so,” she said then let out a breath. “I just want our wedding to be perfect, I just want it to be the best day ever,” she said. “It will be, I promise you that,” he said and Xena grinned as she rose up and looked down at Ulysses. “And you always keep your promises,” she said and Ulysses grinned as he caressed her cheek, “I do my best, especially when it comes to you, I know I’ve said it before, but I want to be everything you need, everything you want. Whatever you want, I want to be able to give it to you and whatever you need, I’ll make sure I’ll give it to you because you’re my world Xena, you’re my Queen,” he said and Xena smiled at that then leaned down and kissed him softly but passionately. “Now,” Xena said as she reached behind her for the parchments, “back to wedding stuff,” she said and Ulysses grinned as he let out a breath, “everything is basically seen to except for our wedding song and the honeymoon,” Xena said.

“I’ll take care of both of those,” he said and Xena looked at him, “I’ll have Virgil take care of the music and I know a song we would both love for our wedding song.” He said and Xena nodded, “alright,” she said, “as for our honeymoon, you know I have that handled,” he said with a grin and Xena smiled back at him. “I have no doubt but will you at least tell me where we’re going, what we’re doing?” Xena asked and Ulysses rolled Xena onto her back and she smiled as she placed the parchment on the nightstand and Ulysses settled himself between her legs. “Well, my father says he can do without me for a month, so as we speak, I’m having one of our grandest ships prepared for a wonderful trip.

When we leave the reception, we will take a carriage straight to the docks and onto this ship and I know the perfect, beautiful waters where we will sail for a week, have some fun,” he said and Xena grinned as she unbuttoned Ulysses’ shirt and pulled it off of his shoulders. “Then I thought we’d sail to Italy or would you prefer Egypt,” he said and Xena looked at him with surprise in her eyes. “Egypt is good,” she said and Ulysses smiled, “then Egypt it is and while we’re there we’ll get us a nice room at a upscale Inn, do some sight seeing and I’m sure you would like to buy a couple of things,” he said and Xena smiled as she rose up and kissed Ulysses. “I love you,” she said and he smiled at her then leaned down and kissed her.

The kiss soon turned into something more and they made love that night. The next day, things went as they usually did, they had breakfast and then they went their separate ways, Xena made sure to remind Ulysses of their appointment with Lassa an hour after lunch. He went to check on the progress of the garden then headed to his father’s office to see if there was anything his father needed him to do, besides the work he already had to do. When lunch rolled around Xena ate it with the other women, who she was becoming friendly with but she kept a watchful eye on all of them, her past telling her, that she couldn’t always trust things or people at face value. When lunch was over Xena made her way over to the temple with two guards following her, that was definitely something she was going to have to get use to.

For Xena, the temple was in walking distance and it took her about twenty minutes to get there. Once there, she walked into the temple, the guards staying outside in respect and as Xena walked in she looked around, she had never been in this temple to Athena but she knew in the future she would be here a lot. “You got that right,” Athena said as she appeared in front of Xena who looked at her with a tolerant grin, “what did I tell you about reading my thoughts?” She asked the goddess and Athena looked at her, “well excuse me, I hear everyone’s thoughts when they enter my temples, you are no different,” she said then walked up to the altar with Xena who placed an offering of flowers and a few coins there.

“I need to ask a favor of you Athena,” Xena said as she turned and looked at the goddess who looked back at her. “Ask and I’ll see what I can do,” she said and Xena nodded. “I would like for you to perform the ceremony,” she said and Athena looked at her. “I would be honored Xena,” she said and Xena grinned then looked over as Lassa entered from the back room. “Goddess,” she said as she bowed to Athena then looked at Xena, “my lady, you’re here for our session?” She asked and Xena nodded, “I’m a little early but I felt like taking a walk,” Xena said, “that’s okay and where is the Prince?” Lassa asked and Xena shook her head, “running late probably, he’s never on time,” she said with a grin.

“Hey, I resent that,” Ulysses said as he walked into the temple and Xena grinned at him as he walked up to her and gave her a brief kiss. “I’m not always late, I just run on a different schedule than everyone else,” he said with a grin and Xena smiled at him. “Ulysses this is Athena,” she introduced him to the goddess and Ulysses looked at Athena with surprise and awe on his face and in his eyes. “My goddess,” he said as he bowed his head in respect and Athena grinned as she raised his head and looked into his eyes. “You need not bow to me Ulysses, I really must thank you though,” she said and he looked at her, confusion shown plainly on his face. “Thank me for what?” He asked and she grinned at him, “for making Xena as happy as you do,” she said and he smiled at her then looked at Xena before he looked back at Athena.

“It’s my pleasure,” he said, “I asked Athena to perform our ceremony, if that’s okay with you Lassa?” Xena said to the priestess who grinned and nodded, “that’s quite alright with me,” she said and Xena nodded then looked at Ulysses. “What about you? Are you okay with it?” She asked and he looked at her, “are you kidding? I would be deeply honored if Athena performed our marriage ceremony,” he said then looked back at Athena who smiled at them both. “Well, you guys have some talking to do and I have some things to see to,” Athena said and with that she was gone. “Wow, I finally got to meet Athena herself, wait until I tell dad,” he said and Xena chuckled at him.

“If you two are ready, follow me,” Lassa said with a grin of friendliness and from the humor of Ulysses’ remark; with that she turned around and headed back into the back room of the temple with Xena and Ulysses following her. They followed her down a hall to a room with huge windows where the light from the beautiful day shined in; there was a sofa and a chair across from the sofa. “Have a seat,” Lassa said and they sat down on the sofa next to each other while Lassa closed the door. “Would either of you like something to drink?” She asked and they shook their heads, “thanks, but we’re okay,” Xena said as she held Ulysses’ hand and Lassa nodded as she sat down in the chair. “I assume you know why you’re here?” Lassa asked and they nodded, “it’s one of the requirements for our marriage,” Ulysses said and Lassa nodded.

“It is that but more than anything our time together is to help you prepare for your marriage, the transition from two lives to one.” She said and they listened to what she had to say, “what do you think it takes for a marriage to work, for it to stay strong, full of love and life?” Lassa asked and Xena and Ulysses looked at each other before they began to answer, “well, I believe one of the key elements of making a marriage work is communication, nothing can be done without communication, you won’t know what your partner is feeling or what they need,” Xena said and Lassa nodded then looked at Ulysses. “What about you Ulysses?” She asked and he looked at her as he answered, “well communication is definitely a key element but I also think acceptance is another. In a marriage you have to be able and willing to accept the changes and the challenges there will be.

I mean over the years, we’re not going to stay the same, of course we’re going to grow in many ways and it’s important that we keep up with each other’s changes and accept those changes for what they are. After all, a marriage is about making things work and for things to work you need acceptance and compromise,” he said and Lassa nodded. “It seems to me as if you two are on the right track,” she said and they grinned at each other, “Ulysses tell me what it is that makes you love Xena, that makes you love her so much that you want to marry her,” Lassa said and Ulysses let out a breath as he thought about that. “It’s a simple yet complicated answer,” he said, “just try your best,” she said and he nodded.

“Well, what makes me love Xena the way I do is a long list,” he said with a grin as he looked at Xena and she grinned at him. “But there’s just something about her that pulls to my very core, to my soul. When I look into her eyes, I know I’m home,” he said then looked at Lassa, “does that make sense?” He asked and she grinned and nodded, “yes, please go on,” she said and he nodded and looked back at Xena. “Xena is unlike any other woman I have ever met, I told her once, while we were taking a walk, that she was a complicated woman and I love that about her.” He said, “give me some examples of what you mean,” Lassa said and Ulysses nodded. “There are times when she can be so soft, it amazes me and then there are other times when she can be hard, strong, defiant to very end and oh how I love that about her,” he said and Xena chuckled at her.

“She can defend herself, quite well as you can imagine, and most men wouldn’t approve of that but I don’t mind it because her fighting, her training is apart of what makes her, her, frankly, the fact that she can kick my ass, sort of turns me on,” he said with a grin and Xena smiled as she pushed him and he looked at her. “And that smile, gods when she smiles it lightens up a room, when she smiles, my world is okay,” he said as he placed his hand on his chest while he looked into her eyes. “My world is okay,” he said once more then smiled as he thought of other things. “When she looks at me, she makes me feel like I am so important, like I’m the only thing in this world that matters, she makes me feel that I am her world and that just feels my heart with so much love,” he said and Xena brought up his hand and kissed the back of it.

“You are my world, my everything,” she told him and Ulysses smiled and looked at Lassa who was grinning at them. “And her voice, it’s just so silky, it drives me crazy sometimes, I can just lay in bed and she could talk and I would listen for hours on end, just to hear her sweet voice. Or when we make love…” he said then shook his head as he looked at Xena then at Lassa, “there isn’t enough time in the world for me to explain to you how I feel when we make love, all I know is that its one of the greatest feelings I have ever felt in this world.” He said and Lassa smiled and nodded, “Xena can you tell me what it is about Ulysses, that makes you love him so, that makes you want to marry him?”

Lassa asked and Xena grinned as she thought about that, “I don’t even know where to begin,” she said then laughed and Ulysses laughed with her. “The main thing that makes me love Ulysses so much is the fact that he loves me for me and that he isn’t trying to change me for him or anyone else.” She said and Lassa nodded, “and that’s important to you?” She asked and Xena nodded, “in Amphipolis I was never really accepted for the life I had chosen to live, the person I had chosen to be, the only people who really accepted me were my family. And then, here came Ulysses, he didn’t care about anything,” she said and they laughed at that. “All he wanted was to get to know me and even when he knew me, when he knew things that would send other men heading for the hills, he just wanted to know more.” She said as she grinned at him and Ulysses smiled back at her, “I was a peasant and as he got to know me, he treated me like a Queen, every girls dream and mine was coming true,” she said as she caressed his cheek while looking into his eyes.

“Then there was something about him that just drew me to him, like a moth to a flame, as hard I tried at first to fight it, I couldn’t. I kept walls up around my heart from getting hurt again and somehow Ulysses came in and brick by brick he took the wall down and eased his way into my heart until all I knew I was so in love with him, I couldn’t live without him,” Xena said and Lassa grinned and nodded. “Most importantly, Ulysses chose to give me intimacy rather than sex, at night he would hold me and we would stay up all night sometimes, just talking and holding each other. And when we did reach that point in our relationship where we felt we could give ourselves to one another, he was all I had ever dreamed of; he was my first, he is my last, my everything. He’s a great man with a kind heart and I just love him,” she said and Lassa nodded.

“Compared to past relationships, you think this one has gone the best?” She asked, “definitely,” they answered simultaneously and Lassa grinned. “Obviously or you wouldn’t be getting married,” she said and they grinned at her, “what do you think went wrong in your past relationships that went right in this one?” She asked, “Well for me, my past relationships were all about sex and conquering, nothing more but when I met Xena I immediately knew that I wanted more than that from her, I wanted to get to know her, inside and out,” Ulysses said and Lassa nodded. “Xena?” She asked and Xena let out a breath, “men were more interested in my body than they were of my mind. There was one relationship I had that almost led to marriage,” Xena said.

“And what happened?” Lassa asked and Xena let out a breath, “he tried to change me and when he saw that I wouldn’t change for him, he left me,” she said and Lassa looked at her. “That must have hurt you a lot,” she said and Xena nodded, “it did, I suppose that’s when I really began to put up those walls, to prevent something like that from ever happening again.” She said and Lassa nodded, “that’s definitely understandable, no one wants to go through life with getting their heart broken all the time,” she said. “That’s it,” Lassa said and they looked at her, “that’s it, that’s all?” Ulysses asked and she grinned at him, “that’s all for today, we’ll meet up again tomorrow at the same time,” she said and they nodded, then stood and left, able to find their way back into the temple.

“That wasn’t so bad,” Xena said as they walked out of the temple, “no it wasn’t,” he said and on their walk back to the palace they talked and clowned around but when they reached their destination they both went their separate ways, both having work to do. After that, the day passed by fairly quickly and after dinner, Ulysses and Xena were too exhausted to do anything else but sleep so that’s what they did. When the next day came, they did their usual, got up, took a shower and got dressed then headed to the dinning hall for breakfast. “Xena you remember you have to see Pyres today?” Marguerite asked and Xena nodded, “yea I remember, though I don’t relish the thought,” she said. “I’ll go with you if that’ll make you feel better,” Marguerite said and Xena hunched her shoulders, she didn’t care either way, she just never really liked going to healers, she saw enough of them when she was a child, thanks to her father, and at that moment she shook her head to get those bad memories out of her head.

“Ulysses, you go and see Pyres tomorrow,” his mother told him and he nodded. When breakfast was over, they all had business to see to but a couple of hours later Marguerite and Xena met up to go to Pyres’. Xena getting another tour of a different part of the palace, “this is the healer’s wing, our healers stay here as well as recovering patients,” Marguerite said and Xena nodded. When they reached the main room, they walked in, “I was just preparing for your arrival,” Pyres said as she walked into the room. “Xena this is Pyres, she’s the head healer in the palace,” Marguerite introduced them to each other. “I here you know a little about healing,” Pyres said and Xena nodded, “I know a lot,” she said and Pyres nodded.

“Good, then I’m sure you’ll know everything I’m going to do today, just things to make sure you’re in perfect health,” she said and Xena nodded. “Whatever, lets just get this over with, I’m not a big fan of being around healers,” Xena said and Pyres nodded. “Right this way,” she said and Xena followed Pyres into the next room, where she stripped down like Pyres had asked her to and once that was done Pyres began her exam, from head to toe and finally an hour later, Xena thought she was finished but little did she know. “Well I’ve checked everything and you’re in perfect health,” Pyres said and Xena nodded, “who would have thought it,” she said, getting edgier and edgier the longer she stayed there.

“Can I get dressed now?” She asked, “I just have one more thing to do,” Pyres said and Xena looked at her, “what could that possibly be?” She asked and Pyres asked, “I have to do an exam to make sure you’re able to bare children,” she said and Xena blinked her eyes at that, “excuse me,” she said. “In my report it has to say if you’re able to bare children or not,” she said and Xena shook her head as she got off of the bed. “I don’t think so,” she said as she got dressed, “now I have been in here for over an hour, letting you poke and prod me in every place imaginable, I think you have enough information for your report,” she said and when she was dressed she headed out of the room. “Xena this has to be done,” Pyres said as she followed her and Marguerite stood and looked at them, “what’s the problem?”

She asked and Xena looked at her, “you didn’t tell me that she had to examine me to tell whether or not I can have children or not,” Xena said and Marguerite nodded. “That’s part of the work up Xena, it must be done, we have to know if you can provide Ulysses with an heir or not,” she said and Xena shook her head. “I’m not doing it, that’s a private matter…I’m just…I’m just not doing it,” she said and with that she left the room in a hurry and decided she had to go somewhere, anywhere but there, so she headed back to their chambers. When she got there she looked around the room and poured herself a small glass of wine before she walked outside on the balcony and sat down in one of the chairs and just relaxed as she let her thoughts run rampant.

Meanwhile, when Marguerite left the healer’s wing she headed straight to find Ulysses and she knew the best place to look was in Julian’s office where they both usually were. When she got there she wasn’t disappointed, her husband was hard at work at his desk and Ulysses was the same on the sofa, “is there a problem Marguerite, the way you just burst into my office?” Julian asked, “hush up,” she told her husband as she waved him off and he shook his head at his wife and Marguerite looked at Ulysses. “Ulysses,” she called and he looked at her, “I haven’t done Camilla anything, I’ve been here all morning,” he said as he picked up a parchment and placed it to the side. “I’m not here about Camilla, I’m here about Xena,” she said and Ulysses looked up at her mother.

“What about Xena?” He asked and Marguerite let out a breath as she told him what happened. “Do you have any idea why she reacted the way she did?” His mother asked and Ulysses shook his head, “no but its not like I would want Pyres looking at my most private parts either,” she said, “well she’ll be doing that tomorrow,” Julian informed his son and Ulysses looked at him. “Are you serious?” He asked and Julian nodded and Ulysses let out a breath, “I hate going to the healers,” he mumbled, “something else you and Xena have in common,” Marguerite said and Ulysses looked at his mother. “What would you like me to do mother? I can’t force her to have the exam done, if she doesn’t want it done then she doesn’t want it done. What’s the big problem?”

He asked and Marguerite let out a breath as she sat down and looked at Julian, “explain it to your son,” she said and Julian grinned then looked at Ulysses. “Its like this son, we have to make sure that Xena can provide you with an heir, the next line, so this has to be done, if it isn’t then you can’t be married and that’s law,” Julian said and Ulysses let out a breath. “And what happens if she can’t provide me with an heir?” He asked and Marguerite and Julian looked at each other, “well more than likely, the heir to the throne would be left up to your sister,” Julian said and Ulysses nodded. “I’ll go and talk to her,” he said and they nodded, he straightened up his things on the sofa. “I have an order to this, don’t mess it up,” he told his parents who nodded then watched as he left the office.

Ulysses didn’t even know where to begin looking for Xena so he went back to their chambers and hoped she would be there. When he got there Gemini greeted him and he grinned at the wolf, “is your mommy here?” He asked Gemini who bounced up and down then turned in circles before she headed into the bedroom. “I’ll take that as a yes,” Ulysses said to himself and walked into the bedroom but he didn’t see Xena, he did however, see that the patio doors were open so that’s where he went and he found Xena sitting there sipping on a glass of wine which was unusual for her. “Your mother sent you?” Xena asked, knowing Ulysses was there and he grinned as he walked out onto the balcony and stood in front of Xena, leaning against the railing.

“Yea, she doesn’t understand why you don’t want to have the exam done, to tell you the truth I don’t understand it either,” he said and Xena let out a breath as she took a gulp of wine. “It’s not for you to understand, it’s for you guys to accept and leave it alone,” Xena said as she looked into Ulysses’ eyes and he looked into hers. “Hey, this is me,” he said as he placed his hand on his chest, “the love of your life, don’t go throwing those walls back up, it took a lot of hard work getting them down,” he said and Xena let out a breath as she leaned her head back. “Xena you have to learn how to let me in, instead of blocking me out every time you think something you know, I’ll hurt you with it, you know I won’t do that, you know that, you know me,” he said and Xena let out a breath as she closed her eyes and rubbed her forehead.

“I know,” she said, “well then tell me what’s wrong,” he said and Xena let out a breath as she stood and approached Ulysses, “I’ve never told you about my father because the memories are just too painful for me,” Xena said as she stood in front of Ulysses and he nodded. “I can understand that,” he said and Xena let out a breath, “my father was a drunk, a miserable drunk at that, when he would come home from battles he would use up all the money mother had made to buy ale. We tried to stay out of his way and off of his bad side when he was drunk but sometimes that was just impossible,” she said then swallowed hard. “Most times he beat on my mother and other times he beat on me,” she said and Ulysses took Xena’s hand in his trying to provide her with some comfort, that she was grateful for.

He never beat on Toris or Lyceus and they tried their best to protect mother and I but sometimes their best wasn’t enough. I don’t know what it was about me but I always seemed to anger him so and at those times he would beat me terribly.” She said and her mind went back to those times and she wiped away a stray tear as she continued telling Ulysses, “Corrinna was always there to patch us up, that’s how I began to learn about healing. A couple of times my mother put my father out but he would eventually come back, always claiming that he had changed but I knew better and I thought mother did but I guess she was blinded by love.” She said then swallowed hard as she got to the really hard part, “one day, I went for a walk and I didn’t know it but he was following me. I went down to the stream to take a swim and afterwards I dried off and just let my feet dangle in the water.

He surprised me when he came from behind a tree and in the back of my mind I had been wondering if he had been standing there watching me the whole time. I didn’t say anything and he just came and sat down next to me and we talked, at first I thought everything was okay but my gut knew otherwise. It happened so fast, I wasn’t even sure it happened but…but he leaned in and kissed me,” Xena said then looked down and Ulysses could tell this story was getting harder and harder for her to tell and he wanted to tell her that’s okay, she could stop, but a part of him needed to know this.

“When he kissed me I was in shock but when I realized what was happening I pushed him away then stood. He stood and looked at me and at first sorrow and regret filled his eyes and then anger filled them, anger like I had never seen and before I knew what happened he lashed out at me and punched me so hard I fell to the ground.” Xena wiped her face of the tears that had fallen as she continued to tell her story, “he grabbed me by my blouse and picked me up and punched me again and again and again. When I fell to the ground again, I tried to crawl away and all I could hear was his laughter and then there was this loud crack. He caught up to me and kicked me onto my back and I saw that he had a tree limb in his hand and all I had time to do was raise my arms to protect my face as he began to beat me with it.

I tried to fight back but it was no use, he finally hit me so hard with the branch that it broke and it seemed that he got mad at that and he began to kick and beat me, I begged him to stop, I begged him…” Xena said unable to go on and Ulysses just embraced her so that she could feel the comfort and safety of his arms. She cried into his chest from a pain long ago but it was just as strong as though it had happened yesterday. When her tears had lessened up she continued to hold onto Ulysses, “I think that day, he scared even himself because we never saw him again but he left me there, beaten, bloodied and bruised. At first I crawled and then some where I found the strength to get up and walk, or barely walk in my condition. I took the back way to Corrinna’s and she fixed me up but there was a lot of internal damage, especially to my stomach.”

Xena said then let out a breath as she walked back into the bedroom, “when I had healed up all the way she examined me and told me that there was a lot of scarring to my womb and that it could be possible that I might not be able to conceive,” Xena said as she sat down on the bed and Ulysses sat down next to her. “So that’s why you don’t want Pyres to examine you?” Ulysses asked and Xena nodded, “what if she tells me that I can’t give you children? That I can’t give you an heir to the throne? Ulysses that would hurt me so much,” Xena said as she placed her hand on her chest and he nodded as he took her hand. “I know it’s a scary thought Xena but if you can’t give me a child, it won’t be the end of the world, I’m not going to say oh you’re barren and I’m not going to marry you.”

He said then shook his head, “we haven’t really talked about children but having a child with you would be nice but if we couldn’t have children that’s okay. There are other alternatives and as for an heir, it would be left up to Camilla to carry on the line, which I’m sure she would,” he said with a grin and Xena nodded. “Have faith Xena,” he said then stood with her hand in his and she stood with him, “I’ll go with you for the exam,” he said and Xena looked into his eyes and nodded and that’s what they went and did. As Xena lay on the bed while Pyres prepared everything all she could do was pray that she would be able to give Ulysses children. He sat in a chair by the bed holding her hand and caressing her hair, “you ready?” Pyres asked Xena who let out a breath and nodded, “okay, relax,” she said and Xena closed her eyes when she felt Pyres’ fingers gently enter her.

Ulysses continued to caress Xena’s hair as Pyres propped around, “okay I’m going to push down hard,” Pyres told Xena as she rose up a little off of her stool to press down hard against Xena and at the same time she pushed down on Xena’s lower abdomen. “Ssss,” Xena hissed as she squeezed Ulysses’ hand, the intense pressure becoming a little much for her to handle. “I’m almost done,” Pyres said and Xena just had her eyes closed as she nodded and a minute later Pyres was done and she eased her fingers out of Xena and began to wash them of while Xena sat up in the bed. “I felt none of the scarring you spoke of Xena, it could be that over time it healed itself but you’re perfectly capable of bearing children and with your hips, I’d say you’ll be giving Ulysses a couple of sons,” Pyres said with a grin and Xena grinned then smiled as she looked at Ulysses.

“See, having a little faith helps sometimes,” he said and Xena smiled as she leaned in and kissed Ulysses passionately. When the kiss ended they looked into each other’s eyes, “I love you,” Xena said with a smile as she caressed his cheek and Ulysses smiled back. “And I you,” he said then placed a kiss on her forehead. “Thank you Pyres,” Xena said and the healer grinned and nodded, “my pleasure,” she said to Xena who had gotten up and started getting dressed. “I’ll be seeing you tomorrow Ulysses,” she said and Ulysses grimaced and nodded before he and Xena left the healer’s wing. “If you’re okay, I have to head back to my father’s office to get some work done before we go and see Lassa,” Ulysses said and Xena nodded and walked up to Ulysses and kissed him passionately. “I’m good,” she said and he looked at her and grinned as he shook her head, “you’re bad, that’s what you are, giving me a kiss like that, now I won’t be able to concentrate,” he said and Xena smiled and winked at him before they each turned and left.

The fact that she could give Ulysses children was definitely a load off of her mind, she really didn’t have much to do, so she changed her clothes and went down to the training grounds where the soldiers were more than happy to see her and she sparred with some of them while she showed others moves. She even had lunch with them and found that she really enjoyed their company and when it came time for her to go to the temple, she got cleaned up and walked over there, meeting Ulysses half way. “And where have you been?” He asked and Xena grinned, “I decided to take a break from wedding planning and went down to the training grounds, I actually had a great time with the soldiers,” she said and Ulysses nodded. “You don’t mind that I hang out with them do you?” She asked him and Ulysses shook his head, “no not really, just as long as they know to keep their hands to themselves,” he said with possessiveness in his voice and jealousy in his eyes.

“I love when you get jealous,” she said as she shook his face then leaned in and kissed him softly before she placed her hand on his arm and they continued their walk to the temple. When they got there they went straight to the room they were in before and sat down on the sofa and waited for Lassa. They only had to wait a couple of minutes before Lassa walked into the room, “how are you two today?” Lassa asked, “we’re doing good,” Xena said as she and Ulysses continued to hold hands. “I heard you had a little excitement today,” Lassa said as she situated herself in her chair, “news sure does travel fast around here,” Xena said, “too fast sometimes,” Ulysses said as he relaxed and placed his arm on the back of the sofa.

“Would either of you care to tell me about it?” Lassa asked and Xena let out a breath, “how about another time?” Ulysses asked Lassa, seeing that Xena was uncomfortable with the subject at hand. “No, its okay,” she said as she looked at Ulysses, “I realized today that I can’t keep things locked up all the time, that I have to deal with them,” she said to him and he looked into her eyes and nodded. “My childhood wasn’t exactly a happy childhood, I had an abusive father, a very abusive father. He was a solider or is still one, we don’t know where he is now or even if he’s still alive,” Xena said and Lassa nodded telling her to continue and Xena let out a breath as she leaned forward.

“When he came home from wars and battles he would spend the money mother had made in the Inn on ale and just get drunk. Most of the time he beat on my mother and sometimes he beat on me. We tried to stay out of his way and keep him happy but sometimes it just didn’t work, sometimes, I guess, he just felt the need to hit us.” Xena said as she hunched her shoulders while reliving the painful memories of her childhood. “He never hit my brothers though and they did their best to try and protect us but…” Xena said then shook her head as she let out a breath and looked around the room for a minute and Ulysses just placed a comforting hand on her back to let her know that he was there.

“When I was fourteen he followed me to the lake where I decided to go swimming but I had this feeling that someone was following me, then I knew nothing about listening to my instincts, so I just ignored the feeling since I didn’t see anyone. When I was finished swimming I dried off and sat on the bank and just looked out at the water and all of a sudden he came out of no where and he came and sat down next to me,” Xena said and her voice had gone into this dreamy type voice as she described to them what happened but to her it seemed as if she were reliving that moment precisely at that time.

“He sat there and he talked to me and I just listened, I didn’t say anything for fear that I would upset him and he would hit me. Then all of a sudden he leaned in and kissed me and for a moment I was shocked, I couldn’t believe that my father, the man who had a part in giving me life was kissing me. When that registered in my mind, I roughly pushed him away and for a split second I saw regret and sorrow in his eyes and just as fast as it came, it left and an intense anger filled his eyes. Before I had time to react he began hitting me, punching and slapping me,” Xena said then inhaled as she ran her fingers through her hair as she relieved that painful moment.

“I tried and tried to get away but it seemed as if he was a quick as Hermes and as powerful as Zeus. He broke a thick branch off of the tree and he beat me with it until finally…I guess, he had beaten all the anger out of himself. Through my bloody and bruised eyes I remember seeing him standing there above me looking down at me, breathing hard, he looked at the branch in his hands and looked at the blood, my blood that covered his hands and clothes. He threw the branch in the river and walked away, leaving me there, bloody and bruised.”

Again, Xena was silent for a moment and Ulysses looked at her as well as Lassa, “perhaps we should finish this later,” Lassa suggested and Xena snapped out of whatever trance she was in and looked at the priestess. “I’m alright,” she said then let out a breath and continued her story, “I just laid there for a while, I think I lost consciousness and when I woke up then sun was beginning to set and even though I was in so much pain I began to crawl my way back to the Inn and when I felt that I had enough strength I stood with the help of tress and limbs and I limped my way back.

I took the back way to our healer, Corrinna, and she tended to me. I was unconscious for a couple of days and when I woke up, my mother was next to me. I hadn’t been able to tell Corrinna much when I got there, I think I just muttered the words Atrius and she knew what happened. My mother told me that my father hadn’t been back since that day and since then we haven’t seen him or heard from him. My brothers swore if they ever saw him again they would beat him to death. Corrinna told me I had a lot of internal damage, especially to my stomach.

It took months but when I had finally recovered she examined me thoroughly and everything was fine except for the fact that there was a lot of scarring to my womb and she told me and my mother that it would be next to impossible for me to conceive if at all.” Xena said then looked at Ulysses, “I should have told you that, it wasn’t right for me to keep it from you,” she said with pain in her eyes and Ulysses placed his hand on hers. “I understand why you didn’t tell me and it’s alright, it’s alright,” he said, saying it’s alright for more than her not telling him about the scarring but also about her father and to let her know that everything was alright and if it wasn’t than it was going to be, because he was going to make sure of that.

“The excitement today was had to do with the fact that I didn’t want Pyres to examine that part of me because I was afraid that she would confirm what Corrinna had told me.” Xena said and Ulysses wrapped his arm around Xena’s shoulder pulling her into his arms, “and did she?” Lassa asked and Xena looked at the priestess and shook her head as a lone tear fell from her eyes, “Pyres said that there wasn’t any scarring at all and given my wide hips I would be able to give Ulysses many sons,” Xena said with a grin and Ulysses grinned as he placed a kiss on her forehead and she just let out a breath as she leaned into him, seeking that safety and comfort she felt when she was in his arms.

“And is that important to you Xena, to provide Ulysses with children?” Lassa asked and Xena let out a breath as she sat up then looked at Ulysses. “We’ve never really talked about children,” she said and Ulysses shook his head as he looked at Lassa. “But…if we both wanted children…” Xena said then looked back at Ulysses to see what his perception on having children was. “I guess we assumed that was something we would talk about later in our marriage,” Ulysses said and Xena nodded then looked at Lassa, “but yes, it is important to me to be able to have children, to bare Ulysses’ children, to give him an heir, a son, the next line and ruler of Ithaca,” Xena said and Lassa nodded.

“And why is it you guys have never talked about having children?” Lassa asked and they looked at each other and hunched their shoulders, “the subject never really came up I guess,” Xena said and Ulysses nodded. “Do either one of you want children?” She asked, “somewhere along the line, yes I would like to have a child,” Xena said then looked at Ulysses waiting for his answer. “The same thing for me I suppose, I mean I’ve never really thought about having children one way or the other. Its just a thought that’s never entered my mind, I guess I’d have to think more on it but I don’t see a problem with having children,” he said then after a minute of thinking about it he grinned.

“I would actually like to be a father one day,” he said and Xena grinned at him. “So, it seems that there was a bit of excitement today,” she said, “mainly Xena dealing with her past pains and letting you, Ulysses, into that part of her life that’s so painful for her.” Lassa said and both Xena and Ulysses let out breaths and smiled at each other, “it has been a trying day,” Xena said and Ulysses grinned. “How about we talk about something a little more cheerful now?” Lassa suggested and they grinned and nodded. “That would be much appreciated,” Xena said with a grin and Lassa grinned, “I know that was painful for you, it is always painful for us to relive a painful part of our past but when we do, when we deal with what has happened and when we accept it, it releases a burden we have been carrying around.”

Lassa said as she looked at Xena who nodded, “yea I do feel…like a load has been lifted off of my shoulders,” Xena said with a grin and Lassa grinned back. “And its easier to go into a marriage with less problems, you know, you can’t go into a marriage with your problems, past or present,” Lassa said pointing her hand in Xena’s direction. “And you can’t go into a marriage with your problems,” she said to Ulysses, “because all of those problems, the ones that are hidden and not so hidden, will come together,” she said, using her hand as an example as she intertwined her fingers.

“And then you have one big problem and as your marriage moves on, that big problems breaks into little problems and before you know it, you’re in an argument every day or every other day and your marriage becomes miserable and you don’t want that,” Lassa said, “no we don’t,” Ulysses said and Xena nodded, agreeing with him. “That’s why talking with me or another priestess is recommended, believe it or not, its not to torture you,” she said with a grin and they grinned back, “but its to help you and especially because you two will be next to rule and how can you even begin to handle the problems of the kingdom and other kingdoms when you can’t even begin to handle your own?”

Lassa asked, “you’re right,” Xena said, “I never really thought about it that way, I just always thought that this was something to make the marriage process more difficult,” Ulysses said and Lassa shook her head. “Not at all, you must be aware that we offer our services to anyone, any couple who needs to talk and work out problems that they believe can’t be worked out among themselves. Marriage is a most sacred bond not to be taken lightly, so if you feel that you can’t go into a marriage, into this binding of one with your all, then you should step back and take a look at what’s wrong.”

Lassa said and they listened intensely to her, “in a marriage you’re equal, and you’re equal because you’re each a half of a whole,” she said, “isn’t that what those necklaces symbolize?” Lassa asked and they both simultaneously brought their hands up to their necklaces and nodded. “Now if you go into a marriage not giving all of yourself then that can’t possibly make a whole,” she said and they both nodded as Lassa spoke some deep but truthful things to them about what they were about to get into. “You can not go into a marriage not giving all of yourself because one, its wrong and its hurtful that the person you are marrying is giving you all of themselves but you refuse to do the same. And two, its going to create problems because for whatever reason you chose not to give all of yourself, its going to come out and its going to hurt your marriage.”

Lassa said then stood and went over to a shelf and pulled out two scrolls and walked back over to Xena and Ulysses. “You two think you know what a marriage is all about, what it takes to keep it working, then I want you to read this, they’re both the same, just one for both of you,” she said as she handed the scrolls to them then went back to her seat. “Read that, discuss it together and if you find that you can’t do just one of those things then you’re not ready for marriage,” Lassa said and then looked at her and nodded. “I’ll see you guys tomorrow,” Lassa said and they nodded and stood and in silence they left the room and the temple.

They walked in silence back to the palace and when they reached their chambers they went in and Xena sat down on the sofa. “You have anything else to do today?” Ulysses asked Xena and she looked up at him, “yea but it can wait,” she said then began unrolling the scroll. “Yea, I have work to do but I’m going to read this,” he said and Xena nodded and Ulysses walked over to her and kissed her softly before he left the room and went to his father’s office, grateful that his father wasn’t there. He sat down on the sofa and looked at the work he had to do but then he looked at the scroll in his hand and decided this was more important. He let out a breath as he began to unroll the scroll and began reading.

Ten Keys in Making a Marriage Work

 

 

 

Ulysses was sitting there reading the scroll and as he read it he began to think about some of what he was reading. Back in their chambers Xena had reached Acceptance and Openness and she knew from recent experiences that they had one covered but not the other but Ulysses had promised to work on that. Xena let out a breath as she continued to read and she continued to think, wondering if they were really ready for such a huge responsibility.

 

 

 

When Xena was finished reading the scroll she sat it to the side then stood and decided to go for a walk, Gemini right at her side as she did so. The scroll had enlightened Xena to some things, things she needed to think about, things she wondered if she was ready for. The garden had become her favorite place and even though it was being worked on for the wedding she went and took a walk to help her think about all she had read and a part of her wondered if Ulysses was ready for any of those things. She knew some they had down pat and others they knew nothing about, at least she knew nothing about them so she wasn’t sure if she could do them or not.

She reached the pond and just sat on the bank and looked out at the still water as she let her thoughts consume her. When Ulysses was finished reading he had the same doubts as Xena had and instead of him taking a walk he did some exercising which always helped him think. Before either of them knew it, dinner time had snuck up on them but neither of them were in the mood for eating with the family. So Xena had dinner sent to their room and when Ulysses walked into the room Xena was preparing the table for a candle light dinner.

“You’re back early, I was going to surprise you with a candle light dinner,” Xena said with a grin as she walked up to Ulysses who grinned as he leaned in and kissed her softly. “Thank you,” he said, “you’re welcome,” she said as she looked into his eyes then at his appearance, “why are you so sweaty?” She asked and Ulysses let out a breath as he walked over to a chair and sat down. “I had some things on my mind so I did some exercising,” he said and Xena nodded. “Would those things be what that scroll contains?” Xena asked and he looked at her, “you read it all too?” He asked and Xena nodded, “yea, and I needed time to think too so I went for a walk in the garden,” she said and Ulysses nodded and all was silent as Ulysses began to undress so that he could take a shower.

“I think we should talk about it, I mean some of those things on there or things we really have to consider if we’re able and ready to do,” Xena said and Ulysses nodded. “After dinner,” he said as he looked up at Xena and she looked into his eyes and nodded, “I’m going to take a shower,” he said and Xena nodded and watched him leave and she walked out onto the balcony and looked out at the city and let out a breath. Soon, dinner was brought to the room and sat up on the table and shortly afterwards Ulysses was out of the shower and he put on a pair of pants and a shirt before he sat down at the table where Xena was already sitting.

“Thanks for having dinner brought here, I wasn’t really in the mood to have dinner with the others,” Ulysses said and Xena nodded. “I know what you mean,” she said and from that point on, they ate but barely said anything which was unusual for them but considering what they both had on their minds, no one could blame them. When they had finished dinner and dessert, servants came and collected the dishes and Ulysses and Xena moved to the fur in front of the fireplace with their glasses of wine and they both sat there and stared into the flame before Xena finally broke the silence. “You know, one of us should really say something,” Xena said with a grin to break the tension and Ulysses grinned as he looked at her and they fell back into the silence.

“Of the ten, which ones do you think we don’t have and which ones do you think we need to work on?” Ulysses asked and Xena looked at him and she let out a breath, “well to be honest with you Ulysses I think we have them all, there are just some we have to work on.” She said and he nodded, “like what?” He asked and Xena looked at him, “communication, surrender and openness.” She said and Ulysses looked at her, “I wouldn’t have thought communication,” he said. “It shouldn’t have taken me this long to tell you about my father and I shouldn’t have had to find out from a concubine about that part of yourself you don’t show.” She said and Ulysses nodded as he looked down, “true,” he said and she looked at him. “Be honest, you were never going to tell me about that part of yourself were you?”

Xena asked and Ulysses looked at her, he looked into her eyes and told the truth, “no,” he said and Xena let out a breath and looked into the flames of the fire. “At least not until we had been married for a while,” he said. “But that wouldn’t have been fare to me Ulysses,” Xena said and he looked at her, “I know but…” he said then shook his head before he ran his fingers through his hair. “I just didn’t know how to tell you, I wasn’t sure if you were ready for it and I wasn’t sure if you would accept that part of me. I…I was afraid,” he said and Xena looked at him. “Look at me,” she said and he looked at her, “I accept you, every last inch of you, I love you Ulysses, how can I not accept you especially when you love and accept me.”

She said and Ulysses nodded, “I guess that’s where openness and surrender comes in,” he said and Xena nodded. “That’s what you were thinking so hard about?” Xena asked and Ulysses nodded, “we have all the others, its just those three that we need to work on and two of those are mainly on my part,” he said and Xena shook her head as she took his hand in her. “No, we are one, we will work on this together,” she said and Ulysses looked into her eyes and nodded. “I love you Xena and I hope you know I’ve trusted you with my heart and I trust you with my life and I’ll trust you with Ithaca’s well being. I honor you,” he said then grinned as he kissed the back of her hand, “I worship you like a goddess,” he said and she smiled at him.

“We always compromise, I love it when we compromise in fun ways, like a pillow fight,” he said and she laughed at that. “We forgive each other all the time, you know I am loyal to you to my death and even after, you’re all that I’ll ever want. And I respect you, with all that I am I respect you,” he said as he looked into her eyes and Xena just smiled as she leaned forward and kissed him softly. “Likewise,” she said then leaned in and kissed him again and when the kiss ended they looked into each other’s eyes as Xena caressed Ulysses’ cheek. “When will you let me in to that part of you Ulysses?” She asked and he looked into her eyes, “you’ve shared women with Virgil I know, if you want to share me with him you can,” she said and he looked into her eyes and shook his head.

“I can, I want you to, show me all of you,” she told him and Ulysses looked into her eyes and saw that she meant it and that meant so much to him that he just leaned in and kissed her passionately and when the kiss ended he looked into her eyes as his hand was against her cheek. “Thank you for accepting me, for accepting what I know can’t be easy,” he said then looked down for a minute. “But I don’t want to share you with Virgil or any other man or woman, I just want you, I just want you,” he said and when she looked into his eyes she saw that he meant that and she grinned as she leaned into him. “Then let me in,” she whispered to him as she ran her fingers through his hair and he grinned as he caressed her cheek.

“You’re a persistent woman,” he said and Xena smiled at him, “and you didn’t know that?” She asked and he laughed at her, “oh I knew it, I knew it,” he said then let out a breath. “Here comes the compromising part,” he said with a grin and Xena grinned back, “how about on our honeymoon, I show you that part of me,” he said and Xena grinned as she bit down on her lower lip. “I’d rather have all of you on our honeymoon,” she said and Ulysses smiled at her as he leaned in, “oh you will, you most definitely will,” he said then kissed her passionately. As they kissed Xena pushed Ulysses back until he was leaning on his forearms and she began to unbutton his shirt.

“Ummm,” Ulysses moaned as he ran his hand over her back pulling her closer. Just as things were beginning to get heated, there was a knock at the door and they both groaned. “Maybe whoever it is will go away,” Xena said and they waited then lowered their heads when they heard another knock. “I’ll go see who it is,” he said and Xena nodded as she got up and Ulysses got up and went into the sitting room to answer the door. “We just wanted to make sure you two were okay?” Julian said to his son and Ulysses nodded as he opened the door so that his parents could come in.

“Yea we’re fine, Xena and I talked and she went to the healer and she can have children, I’m sure all of the specifics are in Pyres’ report,” Ulysses said and Julian nodded. “It is but we still wanted to make sure that Xena was okay,” Marguerite said, “she was really upset,” his mother said and Ulysses nodded. “We worked it out, it had something to do with her father, he used to beat her and her mother,” he said and Marguerite nodded. “I remember her mentioning something like that to us,” she said and Julian nodded. “But she’s okay, we worked it out some more with Lassa,” Ulysses said and Julian grinned, “see, she’s great to talk to, especially since you guys are about to get married,” Julian said and Ulysses nodded.

“Can’t argue with you there dad,” he said and Julian placed his hand over his heart, “be still my heart, I’ve found something that my son won’t argue with me over,” he said and Ulysses and Marguerite smiled. “Yea, yea, don’t get use to it,” he said and Julian laughed at him. “The work on the sofa I didn’t finish today because I got really sidetracked with something Lassa gave us but I’ll finish it tomorrow,” Ulysses said and Julian nodded. “Take your time, I know this is an important and busy time in your life,” Julian said and Ulysses grinned as he looked at his father.

“Okay, who are you and what have you done with my father?” Ulysses asked and Julian smiled as he pushed his son, “I can add more work to that if you like?” Julian asked and Ulysses shook his head, “I’m fine,” he said and Julian nodded. “We’ll see you guys in the morning for breakfast,” Marguerite said as they began to leave and Ulysses nodded and placed a kiss on his mother’s cheek. “Good night,” he said and they bid him goodnight just before he closed the door and locked it. He walked back into the bedroom, stopping just inside because there was no light except for the fire place.

“Are your parents gone?” Xena asked as she walked from around the bed and Ulysses noticed she was wearing her robe. “Yea they’re gone,” he said as he walked further into the room until he was standing in front of Xena, “good,” she said as she finished unbuttoning his shirt and pushed it off of his shoulders and he threw it into a near by chair. “I have you all to myself now,” she said as she ran her hands over his chest before she leaned in and placed soft kisses all over and Ulysses closed his eyes at the touch of her hands and lips.

She slowly moved her way up to his neck and Ulysses bit down hard on his lip as she found his spot and began kissing, licking and sucking on it. Even though Ulysses was trying to not show that he liked that Xena could tell by the way his fingers dug into her back and he unknowingly pulled her closer. “Mmmm,” she moaned as she sucked on that spot and around it as she ran her fingers through his hair. “Uhhh,” Ulysses moaned because after he heard Xena moan that was a wrap and she smiled as she continued her exploration of his neck. “Xe,” Ulysses called ten minutes later and she was still busy with his neck, “hmmm?”

She answered and just as he was about to say something she hit another spot and all his mouth did was open wide in pleasure. When she was finished with that spot he was breathing hard, he licked his lips and undid Xena’s robe and ran his hands inside and he moaned at her warm, soft skin. “Xe,” he said again, this time making sure she had moved away from his spot, “hmmm?” She answered once again not intending to come up from her delightful task, “I think…I think I need to lay down,” he stuttered out then moaned as she found another spot. ‘Where does she find these places?’ Ulysses asked himself then ran his hands over Xena’s thighs.

After a couple of minutes she pulled back from his neck and leaned in and softly tasted his lips and this action made him whimper and it made Xena grin. When the kiss ended she looked into his eyes as she ran her fingers through his hair, “show me something new tonight,” she said as she ran her hands over his chest and down, down they went until she was caressing the bulge in his pants. “Whatever you want,” he said and Xena smiled as she leaned back in and kissed Ulysses and that kisses started off soft but soon became passionate. Ulysses pulled the robe off of Xena’s body then swooped her up into his arms and carried her over to the bed where he laid her down.

He took off his pants and got in the bed, laying between Xena’s legs and they slowly began to make love to each other. Ulysses kissed Xena’s entire body, spending most of his time on her breasts and between her thighs where she came twice from the things he was doing with his mouth and Xena definitely returned the favor. An hour later, they were sharing a passionate kiss while Ulysses thrust deep into Xena while he caressed her thigh. When the kiss ended they were both breathless and Xena had her hand on Ulysses’ cheek as they looked into each other’ eyes, “Unnnngh,” she moaned then closed her eyes and bit down on her lower lip.

Ulysses leaned down into Xena’s neck as he moaned while he began to thrust harder and a little faster. “Unnnghh…oh Ulysses,” Xena moaned as she held on tightly to his back and Ulysses moaned as he ran his hand over her thigh while moaning into her neck. Xena rose her head some and began kissing and sucking on Ulysses’ shoulder and neck, making her way up to his ear where she sucked on the earlobe. “Show me a new position,” she whispered in his ear and Ulysses nodded then kissed Xena passionately and he thrust into her a couple more times before he pulled out and was on his knees. “Roll over and get on your hands and knees,” he told her and Xena looked at him then did as he said.

Once she was in that position he moved up behind her, and opened her legs a little wider. “Relax,” he told her as he caressed her butt and her thighs. He then spread her cheeks open so that he had a total view of her sex and Xena moaned as she felt the cool air hit her most private places. Ulysses saw how wet she was and he licked his lips and couldn’t stop himself as he leaned down and tasted that gloriousness. “Unnngh,” Xena moaned as she leaned her head down between her arms and Ulysses moaned as he ran his tongue every where imaginable and used his lips to suck on the greatest places.

He lad a slap to Xena’s cheek and jumped at that but also moaned as she realized that sting of pain sent shocks of pleasure through her. Ulysses squeezed the flesh of her butt as he continued to eat her out and he once more slapped her butt and Xena moaned as she pushed into Ulysses and he grinned as he pulled back. ‘You like that’ he thought to himself, “you ready?” He asked and Xena nodded, “more than ready,” she said and Ulysses nodded as he took his erect cock into his hand and guided it to her entrance where he teased her for a couple of moments. Finally, he pushed into her and Xena’s mouth and eyes opened wide in surprise, “Un…Unnnngh,” Xena cried out and Ulysses moaned as he began a slow and steady rhythm to let her get use to the feel of him being so deep in her.

“Ummm…I’m so deep, can you feel me?” Ulysses moaned then tilted his head back and moaned as he held on to Xena’s waist and thrust into her, and as he sped up, multiple moans and cries came from Xena. ‘Gods this feeling is amazing…oooh’ Xena thought to herself as she gripped the sheets tightly. After a couple of minutes Ulysses slowed down his thrusts and Xena moaned as she pushed back on to him surprising him, “Oohhhh…Unnnngh,” Ulysses moaned as he held onto Xena’s waist as she pushed back on him hard and fast, constant cries coming from her mouth.

After five minutes of that he stopped her and took control again and was giving it to Xena for all he was worth, sweat covering his body and hers. Soon, Xena’s arms gave out and she laid down on the bed and Ulysses followed her. He laid down on her back and continued to thrust into her, “feels good huh?” He asked her and she cried out into the sheets then turned her head to the side so that she could breathe. “Oohhhh…Ulysses,” she moaned and he moaned as he leaned down more and kissed her then kissed her back. He held himself up on one hand and used his other hand to caress her back as he slowed his thrusts down to deep, penetrating thrusts that had Xena whimpering.

“Ohhh…Uhhhh…Unnnnngh,” Ulysses moaned as he closed his eyes tightly and turned his head to the side. “Don’t stop…don’t stop…Unnnnngh,” Xena moaned as she gripped the sheets even tighter. “I’m not…I’m not,” Ulysses moaned then winced in pleasure, “oh shit,” he moaned, the pleasure had become so good he was back on two hands. Ulysses licked his lips and shook his head and he began to moan constantly ‘this never felt this good’ he thought to himself and soon he could feel that Xena was on the edge but he stayed at his current pace until she screamed her release into the sheets. As her release took hold, her body began to shake and Ulysses leaned down and whispered sweet loving things into Xena’s ear as he continued to thrust into her.

“Uhhhh…Unnnngh,” he moaned as his release snuck up on him and his face looked as if he were in pain as he released but it was just that the pleasure was just that intense. When he was finished and the tremors had left his body and hers, he laid there on top of her for a couple of minutes just to catch his breath before he fell back on the bed. After a minute he looked over at Xena who was still on her stomach, “you okay?” He asked and Xena just made a noise that made Ulysses smile, “yea, it was that good for me too,” he said then stared up at the ceiling and Xena hadn’t much energy left so she used it to crawl on top of Ulysses and that’s where she stayed. No words were spoken, Ulysses just wrapped his arms around her and caressed her as she fell asleep, he pulled the cover up over their bodies and soon as was asleep as well.

When morning came and Xena woke, she was so comfortable where she was she didn’t want to move and she didn’t. She just pushed into Ulysses more. “Mmm,” he moaned as he tightened his arms around her and at that moment she felt so loved, so safe and protected, it was the best feeling in the world. “It’s almost time to get up,” Ulysses said softly and Xena nodded, “I know but I just want to stay here in your arms a while longer,” she said and Ulysses just placed a kiss on her forehead and she stayed there a while longer. When it finally got time for them to get up, they got up and took a shower together which was really fun then they got out, dried off and headed back to the bedroom where they got dressed.

Continued in Chapter Fourteen:
The Wedding

Let me know what you think.
Negative and positive feedback is welcomed, it is encouraged.
asimpson86@yahoo.com

Return to the Academy