A Different Time, A Better Time

Disclaimer: Xena and all other characters from Xena: Warrior Princess are not mine, they don’t belong to me. They belong to USA Universal Studios and all those other great people. All of the rest of the characters in this story are mine. There are also a few songs in the story, don’t worry this isn’t a musical. The songs aren’t mine either.

Sex Warning: Yes there is some sex between a male and female as well as implications towards sex in this story. It wouldn’t be a story with out a little lovemaking. <lol>

Subtext Warning: There’s a little cursing but nothing to run home and tell mother about. And there is also reference to two women being together.

Chapter One: The Beginning;The lives of Ulysses and Xena

It was a beautiful clear night; the moon was high in the sky and the stars were shining brightly. Below the sky was one of the most beautiful islands; an island with a great and loving King with a beautiful, intelligent Queen at his side. They had two beautiful children, one son and one daughter. On this island during the day you could see the most beautiful green grass for miles, along with the tress and a beautiful variety of flowers that covered the land. The mountains seemed like they could reach the sky which was as blue and clear as the water that surrounded the island. During the night the island was totally calm as was the water and the sky above was so clear, if you had the time you could look up and count the millions beyond millions of stars. In the beautiful and wonderful kingdom the people were happy and they had peaceful times; this would seem to be an island of dreams for many people of Greece, of the world who sought a refuge like this every day, whether it be a place or in their minds. This island of dreams was called Ithaca and it was as real as the sun that rose every morning and set every evening. The King was named Julian and he had been king for as long as the people could remember; his Queen was named Marguerite and she was a beautiful, wise Queen who stood by her husband’s side and shared as much as she could in his burdens.

Their two children; the oldest named Ulysses and the youngest named Camilla, both bright and strong in their own right, but only one would be called to rule when King Julian died or stepped down. Ulysses was a handsome young man at the age of 25, yet he seemed to be wise beyond his years. He was a strong young man; he was the best at the academy on Ithaca when it came to training and when it came to his studies. He was the type of man a father would be proud to call his son and King Julian was indeed proud, but Ulysses seemed to be a restless soul. It was on one of those clear nights that Ulysses sat on the railing of his balcony to his room and looked down at the kingdom that was just falling asleep. He let out a breath as he looked over the city then out at the island; he closed his eyes and let the breeze blow over his face and hair. ‘Is this all I’m meant for?’ He asked himself then let out a breath as he listened hard and long as the waves crashed against the shores. ‘I want more out of this life than what is expected of me. There has to be more out there, more to see, more to do, maybe then I wouldn’t feel this ache in my chest, this ache that says I’m alone even though I have family and friends all around me.’

He thought to himself and he continued to think, he was thinking so much that he didn’t hear the knock at his bedroom door or if he did hear it he ignored it. Marguerite was worried about her son, he seemed so quiet and withdrawn lately and she wondered what was bothering him. Julian was still seeing to kingdom business at this late hour so she left their rooms and headed to Ulysses’ rooms. When she knocked and got no answer she tried again and once more and when there was still no answer so tried the door to see if it was open. When she found that it was, she walked into the room closing the door behind her then walked into Ulysses’ bedroom, she didn’t see him there but she saw the balcony doors open, so she walked over to them. When she was there she stood by the doors and looked at her son, “hello mother,” Ulysses said and Marguerite grinned at her son. “So you did here me knock then?” Marguerite asked and Ulysses shook his head, “no, but I heard you when you walked into the room.” Ulysses said and Marguerite nodded, “how did you know it was me? It could’ve been your sister or your father or maybe even Virgil.”

Marguerite said and Ulysses turned and looked at his mother, “first of all I knew it was you because you smell of lilacs all the time, even when I was a child.” He said with a grin and Marguerite smiled at him, “secondly, Camilla makes so much noise before she even gets into the room. Dad thinks or hopes I’m in here with a woman doing the things a man should be doing so he doesn’t come to my room afraid he might interrupt something and Virgil is in his room or in an Inn, no doubt doing the things a man should be doing.” Ulysses said and Marguerite grinned and nodded, “and you didn’t want to be out with Virgil having fun?” She asked and Ulysses let out a breath and looked back over the island, “I wasn’t in the mood.” He said and Marguerite nodded as she looked at him, “Ulysses I’m your mother and I believe I have the right to ask this so…” Marguerite was about to say and Ulysses turned and looked at her with a grin on his face. “Mother to save you from the stress of the question you were about to ask me, I haven’t been a virgin since I was sixteen or seventeen I think, more like seventeen.”

Ulysses said and Marguerite looked at him and nodded, “oh…okay I was just wondering,” she said and Ulysses let out a breath. “Would it have made you feel more at ease if you would have found a naked woman asleep in my bed?” Ulysses asked and his mother shook her head, “no, I just worry about you Ulysses. You seem so unhappy lately.” Marguerite said and Ulysses let out a breath. “I feel lost, like there is more I should be doing; I understand that to rule Ithaca one day is my destiny but is that all I’m meant for? Is that all I’m meant to do with my life?” Ulysses asked and Marguerite walked out onto the balcony and looked at her son, “oh Ulysses you are meant for more I believe, just like I believe you sister is meant to do more in her life than just be a princess. So you want to travel the world, do some things you’ve never done, see things you’ve never seen?”

Marguerite asked and Ulysses let out another breath, “yes, but I have a life time to do that so that’s not what I’m completely talking about.” Ulysses said, “then tell me my son what bothers you, what’s pulling at your heart?” Marguerite asked and Ulysses looked at her then out at the island, “I feel like I should be looking for something. Something important and if I don’t find it then I’ll be lost. I don’t know, I just…I just feel empty and alone, like there’s this greater purpose and I’m supposed to be apart of it, but how can I, when my ties and my responsibilities are here?” Ulysses asked then got down off the railing and faced his mother who looked into her son’s eyes, “tell me what I’m looking for momma,” he said in such a soft voice and she walked up closer to him placing her hand on his cheek as she looked into his eyes where she did in fact see that he felt lost. “Oh my son I can’t tell you that, only you know what is written in your heart,” Marguerite said and Ulysses looked into her eyes. “I do however have faith that one day you will find what it is that you think you’ve lost or what it is you think will help you find yourself.”

She said and Ulysses nodded then closed his eyes as his mother pulled him down and placed a kiss on his forehead. “Why don’t you go see Penelope, talk to her and see if she can help you,” Marguerite said and Ulysses shook his head. “Penelope is a nice woman but she’s not the one for me, although father believes otherwise,” Ulysses said and Marguerite nodded. “Alright then get some rest,” she said and Ulysses nodded as he continued to look out over the island and Marguerite looked at him a while longer then left her son to his thoughts. She made her way back to her chambers and when she got to the bedroom she found Julian sitting on the bed in his robe reading a scroll. “Where have you been my love?” Julian asked as he looked up from the scroll and looked at his wife who walked over to him. “Checking on our son,” she said and Julian looked at him, “is he ill?” He asked and Marguerite shook her head as she sat down next to him, “no, but haven’t you noticed that he doesn’t seem himself lately, like something is bothering him?”

Marguerite asked and Julian looked at her, “I’m sure its nothing, Ulysses is a strong man, I’m sure whatever may be bothering him won’t bother him for long,” Julian said then stood and walked over to the desk where he sat the scroll down. “I don’t think that’s the case, he feels lost Julian he’s told me so himself and I could see it in his eyes,” Marguerite said as she stood and approached her husband and he looked at her. “I have noticed a change in him yes, but I thought perhaps he and Penelope were having a few problems. Perhaps there is more to it, I’ll talk with him tomorrow,” Julian said then placed his hand on Marguerite’s cheek. “Don’t worry about it our son will be fine,” Julian said then leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on his wife’s lips. “Come, lets go to bed, I’m tired and I have an early start in the morning,” Julian said as he walked over to the bed and removed his robe and Marguerite looked at her husband who was wearing his silk pajamas. She walked over to him placing her hand on his arm and he turned and looked at her.

“Are you sure you’re ready to go to sleep?” She asked as she walked up closer to him and Julian looked into her eyes a small grin playing at his lips. “And if not sleep, what did you have in mind my love?” He asked her and she grinned at him as she began to unbutton his shirt, “whatever comes to mind,” she said and he grinned then closed his eyes as she pressed her lips against his in a soft kiss. His arm snaked around her waist and when the kiss ended he caressed her cheek as he looked into the eyes of his beautiful and loving wife, “and who am I do deny my Queen?” He asked with a grin and she smiled at him as she pulled his shirt off of his shoulders. “Who indeed?” She said then leaned back in for a kiss and that night King and Queen made passionate love to each other showing themselves that they may look old, but their actions said otherwise.

Morning came and Ulysses found himself sitting at the head of the table with twelve other men around him, six on each side who talked their heads off about one thing or another concerning Ithaca. They were King Julian’s advisors and would on day be Ulysses’ advisors if he didn’t kill them; he sat forward placing his elbows on the table as he used one had to rub his temple. He wasn’t supposed to be here but his father seemed to be having a late start so they came straight for Ulysses; Ulysses looked up as the door opened and his father walked into the room. The advisors stood and Ulysses leaned back in his chair and looked at his father, “how’s it going gentlemen?” Julian asked, “you’re late,” Ulysses said as he stood and Julian looked at his son then behind him to see who Ulysses was talking to because he knew it couldn’t be him. “You can’t be talking to me,” Julian said as he walked further into the room and Ulysses looked at him not backing down. “No, I’m talking to the invisible man behind you,” he said then let out a breath as he walked from behind the table.

“I’m leaving,” Ulysses said as he headed for the door, “no, you’re staying for the rest of the meeting,” Julian said as he turned and looked at his son. “No, I’m not. Let them talk your head off, I have other things to see to,” Ulysses said and his father looked at him. “Things like what?” Julian asked and Ulysses let out a breath, “things that don’t involve me being here.” Ulysses said then opened the door, “I expect to see you at dinner,” Julian said. “And I wouldn’t want to let you down,” Ulysses said as he walked out of the door closing the door behind him. Julian shook his head at his son then walked over to his seat and down and the other advisors sat down as well. “Alright what was being discussed?” Julian asked and as one of the advisors started talking he listened but his mind was on his son and he could see what Marguerite was talking about, but he could only wonder what was bothering Ulysses.

Ulysses left the council room and decided he needed to burn off some of the frustration he had building up in him so he decided to go for a run. He ran for a while; he didn’t know how long or how far he ran but it was helping him so when he felt that he was far enough from the palace he stopped and did a few push ups, some with both of his hands and some with each of his hands. He then wrapped his hands in some bandages he bought with him and found a strong, sturdy tree limb that was high enough; he jumped up and grabbed the branch and started doing chin ups. It was a good thing that he had taken off his shirt before he started running, otherwise it would have been soaked. He spent a half an hour doing those and when he was done while still on the branch he flipped around a few times until he was still holding the branch but he legs were up in the air. He tightened his hands then let out a breath as he bent his arms then pushed back up; he did thirty of those then let go of the branch doing an aerial flip in the air and landing on his feet. He let out a breath and ran his fingers through his hair pushing some of the stray wet hair back with the rest of his hair. He sat down on the ground with his knees bent as he rested his arms on them giving himself a small break as he thought about a few things.

Five minutes passed and Ulysses decided he had enough of a rest so he laid down on the ground with his legs staying bent and he began to do some sit ups. When he was done he ran his way back to the palace and when he got to the back gate where there was a well he grinned as he saw Virgil and their friend Gary standing there talking. “What are you guys doing?” Ulysses asked as he walked over to them and they looked at him, “seeing how many girls we can get to smile at us then let us possibly sleep with them.” Virgil said and Ulysses grinned as he shook his head then took a drink from the ladle in the bucket. “How about we have a sparring match?” Gary asked and Ulysses looked at them, “and I suppose it would be the two of you against me?” Ulysses asked and Virgil grinned, “of course you’re much bigger than we are,” Virgil said as he slapped Ulysses’ muscled arm and Ulysses looked at him with a yea right look on his face considering both Virgil and Gary were almost as big as Ulysses.

And when he thought about it he wasn’t really big; his body was the body of a trained warrior. He was a good looking man he knew that; he was a little over six feet, brown hair, brown eyes and a body to die for. He had muscled arms and chest but he wasn’t overly muscular; he had a six pack for a stomach, strong thighs and a tight butt. Women often threw themselves at him and most of the time he took them up on their offers but as of late sleeping with any and every woman didn’t really appeal to him, not like it had when he was a teenager coming into his own. He let out a breath as he looked up at the sky ‘gods what am I looking for?’ he asked himself and it seemed like he was praying to the gods, any god that would listen. “Hey Ulysses, what’cha lookin at?” Gary asked and Ulysses looked at him, “nothing,” Ulysses said then let out a breath. “So are we sparring or what?” He asked and Virgil was about to answer when a nobleman’s daughter passed by and she was hanging with Camilla and their little gossip group.

“How’s it going Darlene?” Virgil asked as they passed by and they stopped and looked at him, Darlene in particular walking over to Virgil. “You sure are beautiful,” Virgil said with a smile as brought his finger up and caressed her cheek while he looked into her blue eyes and she grinned at him. “Darlene don’t fall for that,” Camilla said as she walked over to them pulling Darlene away from Virgil. “Camilla why do you always have to interrupt something?” Virgil asked and she looked at him, “because I know what you, Gary,” she said turning to look at Gary, “and my brother are all about.” Camilla said and Virgil looked at her, “tell me Camilla, what do you think we’re about?” He asked and she looked at him, “standing here by the well like you have nothing else better to do. Like I don’t know you’re fishing for women,” Camilla said and Virgil grinned as did Gary who walked up to them. “Fishing? You really shouldn’t think of yourself as a fish Camilla,” Gary said and the next thing Ulysses knew they were arguing back and forth.

He shook his head and walked up to them putting himself between the women and Gary and Virgil, “alright that’s enough,” Ulysses said and Camilla looked at her brother. “Ulysses you just can’t say that’s enough like you run things…” she started tell her brother and he looked at her. “I said enough,” he told her with force in his voice and she looked at him. “You’re just taking up for them because they’re your friends and probably because you were doing what they were doing,” Camilla said as she folded her arms and he looked at her. “Camilla I just got here a few minutes ago, I don’t know what they were doing and neither do you so stop assuming.” Ulysses said and she looked at him, “so you just happened to be walking around with your shirt off?” She asked him and he looked at her, “I went for a run and did some exercises and why am I explaining myself to you again?” Ulysses asked her and she looked at him, “I think he has a point Camilla,” a voice said and Camilla turned her head and watched as one of her friends walked up to her side but her eyes were totally on Ulysses.

“Hello Victoria,” Ulysses said as he looked at her and she looked at him, “Ulysses,” she said then tore her eyes from him and looked at Camilla. “We don’t know what they were doing and it’s wrong to accuse them,” she said and Ulysses looked at her looking over her body since she was a beautiful woman. Fair skin that looked smooth to the touch; light brown hair and green eyes. She had nice full breasts from the look of it and nice legs from what he could tell by the dress she wore. “It’s so nice for you to stick up for us Victoria we really weren’t doing anything,” Gary said as he walked closer to her and she rolled her eyes at him. “Don’t think me a fool Gary, we know exactly what you were doing we just can’t prove it,” she said and Ulysses chuckled at them both and Victoria turned and looked at her watching as her eyes turned to a dark green as she got angry. “What’s so funny?”

She asked and he grinned at her, “that you, Camilla and the rest of you, honestly believe you know what they were doing,” Ulysses said and she looked at him. “Oh we know but you think us to be clueless,” Victoria said and Ulysses smiled. “You said it not me,” Ulysses said in a cool manner and Victoria was getting angrier by the minute. ‘She’s even more beautiful when she’s angry’ he thought to himself. “For your information we aren’t clueless Ulysses,” she said stressing his name and he nodded. “Oh really?” He asked and she nodded as she moved closer to him, “we know that you, Virgil and Gary stand at the well hitting on women trying to see which ones will let you sleep with them.” Victoria said and Ulysses grinned at her, “you may or may not be right but don’t include me with them.” He said and she looked at him, “why not? You’re just like them, trying to get every woman that walks.” She said and he grinned at her, “the difference is Victoria, I don’t have to try,” Ulysses said and she looked at him.

“So sure of yourself are you? Well here’s one woman whose not going to fall for your games or throw myself at you,” she said while holding her chin high and stepping more in Ulysses’ face. He just grinned at her and Virgil and Gary hid their grins as they knew the look Ulysses gave Victoria; she had provided him with a challenge and he was about to challenge what she just said. “Really?” He asked with a glint in his eyes and she nodded, “really,” she said and the next thing she knew Ulysses had pulled her tightly into his arms and was kissing her. He tasted her lips first and when given the chance he plunged his tongue into her mouth and explored it like no one had ever explored her mouth before. Victoria at first wanted to fight him but his lips felt so good and then it turned out he was a great kisser. A moan escaped her mouth as she grabbed his hair and pulled him closer trying to match his kiss with one of her own and she was one of the few that came close. She found her other hand caressed his arms and back and when she got to his chest she liked to have gone crazy.

Suddenly the kiss was ended, their lips were torn apart as Camilla forcefully pulled her away, “what do you think you were doing?” She asked Victoria whose face was flushed and breathing labored, “why am I asking you?” She said then turned to Ulysses, “what in Hades did you think you were doing?” Camilla shouted at her brother who grinned at her as he looked at Victoria, “taking Victoria up on her challenge.” He said and her eyes connected with his and it was like a pull and before she knew it she was walking over to him and he grinned at her as she grabbed his hair and pulled his lips down to hers. She moaned as she pushed her body into him while her hand caressed him and the kiss seemed so short compared to the last one and just like the last one the kiss ended suddenly. Camilla shook her head as she pulled Victoria back and looked at her, “Victoria get a hold of yourself,” she shouted to her friend who seemed to snap out of whatever trance she was in. Camilla then turned and looked at Ulysses who was smiling now, “and you stop,” she yelled at her brother who continued to smile.

“Do you want me to stop Victoria?” He asked with a purr to his voice as he looked at her and she looked at him getting ready to fall back into his grasp, “yes she does,” Camilla said forcefully as she gently pushed Victoria into Darlene’s hands. “Come on Ulysses I think you’ve made your point,” Virgil said with a grin on his face as he placed a hand on Ulysses’ arm. Ulysses grinned and nodded as he held up his hands in surrender, “fine, fine we have sparring to do any way.” He said and Camilla looked at him still not trusting him. “Victoria please forgive me for my behavior,” Ulysses said and she looked at him then at Darlene, “I’m okay,” she said and Darlene looked at her then let her go and Victoria walked up to Camilla standing at her side as she looked at Ulysses. “I accept your apology and apologize for my behavior as well. Just make sure it doesn’t happen again,” she said and he nodded. Camilla looked at her brother and then they turned to go when Ulysses grabbed Victoria’s arm and walked up to her leaning down to whisper into her ear.

“This doesn’t have to be the end, if you really want to know why women throw themselves at me then you know where to find me. If not, well I’ll understand,” he said then placed a soft kiss on her neck before he backed up and Camilla looked at her brother. “I knew I couldn’t trust you,” she said and he grinned at her then looked at Victoria as Camilla pulled her arm, “I’m leaving any way,” he said then winked at Victoria before he turned and walked away. “Let’s go,” he told Virgil and Gary as he walked away and Virgil grinned at them, “ladies,” he said then turned to follow Ulysses. “What did he tell you?” Camilla asked once Ulysses and the others were gone and Victoria shook her head as she looked after Ulysses. Camilla looked at her then grabbed her arm turning her towards her so that she was looking into Victoria’s eyes. “Don’t fall for whatever he’s telling you. I love my brother dearly but I’ve seen what he’s done to other women. He’ll sleep with you then throw you away, he won’t mean to hurt you but he will Victoria. Don’t fall into that,” she told her friend and Victoria looked into her eyes.

“But Milla he seemed so sincere,” Victoria said using her pet name for Camilla who nodded. “I know and probably in some small way he is but that’s where the other women have gotten into trouble. I’m telling you this Victoria because you are one of my best friends and I would hate to see you hurt by my brother. For you sake don’t sleep with him,” Camilla said and Victoria looked at her and nodded. Camilla looked at her then nodded and they all headed back inside the palace for lunch. Ulysses, Virgil and Gary made it to the private training grounds where they began sparring, “so what’s up with you and Victoria?” Virgil asked and Ulysses grinned as he hunched his shoulders, “she intrigues me,” he said then blocked off one of Virgil’s attack to turn and engage Gary. “I’d be careful with that one, she looks like she’s a handful,” Gary said and Ulysses grinned and nodded. “A challenge, I haven’t had a good challenge in a while,” Ulysses said then attacked both Gary and Virgil and in a couple of minutes he had them on the ground. “Any way she’s just a distraction,” Ulysses said as he flipped his sword in his hand, “I have no doubt she’ll be in my bed tonight,” he said with a smile then defended himself against their attacks.

“Speaking of distractions, man I had a great one last night,” Virgil said and Ulysses grinned. “I figured that’s what you were doing,” he said and Virgil nodded. “Man, Ulysses when I say I had a wild ride, I mean I had a wild ride,” Virgil said and both Ulysses and Gary smiled. “She’s was the best I’ve had in a while, man I had to slow her down a couple of times I thought she was going to break something,” Virgil said with a smile and Ulysses and Gary started laughing. Ulysses spent the rest of the day hanging out with his friends getting rid of his frustrations and before it was time for dinner her went to his room and took a shower and put on clean clothes. Virgil and Gary waited for him in Ulysses’ sitting room; they were late getting to dinner but it didn’t really bother Ulysses much. “You’re late,” Julian said as Ulysses sat down in his seat which was on his father’s left hand side. “I had a real busy day today,” Ulysses said as he grinned at the servant who poured his wine then picked the glass up. “I’ll say,” Camilla said as she looked at her brother and he grinned at her as he brought his glass to his lips taking a small gulp.

Ulysses ate his dinner and he sat there and listened to his father talk about some things about Ithaca. ‘This and that, blah, blah, blah’ Ulysses thought as he listened to his father then drained his glass then signaled to have it refilled. “You missed an interesting meeting you should have stayed,” Julian said and Ulysses nodded. “Trust me if I would have stayed someone would have gotten killed,” Ulysses said as he leaned back in his chair. “Ulysses you know you need to start participating more in the business of Ithaca and the things that go on,” Julian said and Ulysses nodded but wasn’t really listening to his father since the last thing he wanted was to be more involved in things concerning Ithaca. Virgil leaned in to whisper to Ulysses whose eyes rose up to the door of the Dinning hall where he saw Victoria was walking in with her family. She looked towards him and he gave her a grin, Virgil whispered something else in Ulysses’ ear making him chuckle. When dessert came out they ate and Ulysses looked over every now and then at Victoria giving her little winks and small grins seeing her lower her head as she blushed and smiled.

“Ow…what’d you do that for?” Ulysses asked his sister as he rubbed the sharp pain in his leg from having her kick him hard under the table. “Leave her alone,” Camilla said and Ulysses grinned at her, “her who?” He asked and for that he got another hard kick, “stop that,” he told her and she looked at him. “Leave Victoria alone, I know the games you run on women Ulysses, I’m telling you now don’t think about running them on Victoria. Leave her alone and go find some mindless woman to mess with,” Camilla said and Ulysses looked at her. “I’m hurt Camilla that you think so little of your brother,” he said as he placed his hand over his heart in a dramatic way and his face was straight until Virgil and Gary started laughing and he started laughing as well. Camilla looked at him then kicked him hard again wiping the smile off of his face as he looked at her, “if you don’t stop,” he said and she looked at him. “I’m warning you, stay away from Victoria, get the thoughts of sleeping with her out of your mind,” Camilla said and Ulysses looked at her.

“Camilla, do I look like a little boy who needs you to tell me what to do?” Ulysses asked her and she looked at him, “yes because that’s the way you act.” She said and he looked at her, “fine, then I’m a little boy whose got big toys and the other girls like to play with them,” Ulysses said causing Virgil to start choking on his wine as he started laughing and Ulysses chuckled at him. Camilla kicked him hard again and he looked at her, “I’m not going to tell you again,” he said. “What are you too bickering about?” Marguerite asked her children and they looked at their mother, “Camilla and her control issues,” Ulysses said and Camilla looked at her brother. “My brother who goes around sleeping with every woman he sees,” Camilla said and he looked at her. “Why do you care who I sleep with?” He asked and she looked at him, “I don’t, as long as you don’t sleep with Victoria,” Camilla said and he looked at her. “Ulysses what is this about you and Victoria? What happened to Penelope?”

Julian asked and Ulysses let out a breath, “nothing happened to Penelope I’m just not interested. She’s a good friend but that’s all she’ll ever be. As for me and Victoria, Camilla is just letting her imagination run away with her.” He said as he looked at his sister then picked up his glass taking a deep gulp. “Oh yeah, well why don’t you tell them what you did by the well today,” Camilla said and Ulysses grinned as he recalled that. “What did you do Ulysses?” Marguerite asked her son and he looked at her, “I kissed her,” he said. “More than once,” Camilla put in and he let out a breath, “so what Camilla, get off of it. I don’t hear Victoria complaining; in fact I didn’t hear her complaining when I kissed her.” He said and Camilla looked at him. “Why can’t you just leave her alone Ulysses? You’ve got plenty other women to sleep with, women pawning after you. So why are you messing with Victoria?” She asked her brother and he looked at her then at his glass as he hunched his shoulders, “she’s intriguing and very beautiful when she’s angry.” He said with a grin and Camilla let out a frustrated breath.

“I wouldn’t be opposed of you being with her if I didn’t know how you are,” Camilla said and Ulysses looked at his sister. “Stop assuming that you know me Camilla, you think you know but you know nothing.” Ulysses said and Camilla looked at him, “oh yeah? Well how many women were you with last month?” Camilla asked and Ulysses looked at her then at Virgil who grinned, “too many to count,” Virgil said then started laughing and Ulysses chuckled with him and Gary. “You see mother this is what I’m talking about,” Camilla said and Marguerite looked at her son. “Ulysses what are your intentions toward Victoria?” She asked and he looked at her and hunched his shoulders, “stop acting like you don’t know. You know, tell our mother how you just want to get between her legs and after you’ve gotten what you want you’ll toss her to the side like trash. I’ve seen you do it so many times before,” Camilla said and Ulysses looked at her as he leaned back in his chair. “You know something I’m getting tired of this conversation,” Ulysses said, “as am I,” Julian said and Camilla let out a breath.

“Fine, this conversation will end when I get Ulysses’ word that he will not sleep with Victoria, that he will leave her alone.” Camilla said as she looked at her brother and he looked at her, “fine I won’t sleep with her,” he said and Camilla looked at him then let out a breath of relief. “You’ll be happy to know we won’t sleep at all,” he said with a grin and Virgil and Gary started laughing while Camilla gave her brother an evil stare. “Ulysses I’m not playing, I’m telling you right now…” she started saying but he stopped her. “See that’s your problem right there, don’t presume you can tell me anything little sister.” He said and his eyes were dead serious, he hated when other people started telling him what he was and wasn’t going to do. “Let me be blunt Camilla. You know nothing of things I do between a woman’s thighs; if Victoria wants to be with me then that’s her choice, I’m not forcing her to do anything she doesn’t want. If she doesn’t want me between her thighs as you say, then she’ll keep them closed. I’m not going to force her into anything she doesn’t want; Victoria is a grown woman and she doesn’t need you or anyone else protecting her.”

Ulysses said and Camilla looked at him, “I’m warning you Ulysses,” Camilla said with her eyes dead serious and he looked at her with a relaxed expression. “Ooh I’m shaking in my boots,” he said then rolled his eyes at his sister. Camilla looked at her brother then swung at him to slap him and because of his instincts and training he pulled his face back before she could make contact. “You’ll have to do better than that little sister,” he taunted her and she was getting ready again when the voice of her father stopped her. “Enough,” Julian shouted and some of the others in the dinning hall stopped and looked towards what was going on at the royal table. “What is the matter with you two? You’re acting like children and I will not have it,” Julian shouted at his children and they looked at him then at each other. Marguerite placed her hand on Julian’s arm and he looked at her then let out a breath as he sat back down in his chair and looked at his children. “This is ridiculous this argument that you’re having, but I do know that it’s about to end right now.” By then everyone had returned to their meals and conversation and Julian spoke quietly to his children.

“Camilla you know I don’t tolerate that type of behavior at the table, however I understand where you’re coming from but your brother his right, Victoria is a young, intelligent woman who can make her own decisions she doesn’t need you to make them for her.” Julian told his daughter and she fell back in her chair and started pouting, it never failed that their father always took Ulysses’ side. “On the other hand Ulysses your sister is right; it doesn’t sound to me that you have honorable intentions towards Victoria. So I’m telling you leave her be, I don’t care if she approaches you or not, you are to leave her alone.” He told his son and Ulysses looked at him, “but,” Ulysses started saying but his father cut him off. “LEAVE HER alone Ulysses,” Julian stressed and Ulysses looked at him then fell back in his chair. He looked across at Camilla who was grinning and he let out a frustrated breath as he picked up his glass and drained it, his jaw clenching and unclenching in anger. Marguerite looked at her son who she could tell was real upset so she looked at Julian and with her eyes told him to look at Ulysses and he could see as well that Ulysses was real upset.

Camilla looked at her brother and could tell he was upset probably with her for bringing the whole thing up, “look Ulysses it really is for the best,” Camilla said to her brother in a comforting voice and he looked at her. “Don’t talk to me,” he said in a hard tone and she looked at him, “Ulysses…” she started to say but of course he stopped her. “Are you hard of hearing?” He yelled at her making her flinch and his parents looked at him; it was quiet at the table after that and Ulysses just sat there and sulked while he sipped on his wine. His father looked at him and let out a breath, “Ulysses your mother and I have been noticing lately that you’ve been bothered by something,” Julian said and Ulysses nodded. “Really?” He asked in mocking tone and Julian looked at him, “yea and I believe that you feel that you don’t have enough of a role where Ithaca is concerned.” He said and Ulysses looked at him, “you don’t know how I feel so don’t go around making assumptions,” he said and Julian looked at his son.

“You’re right so why don’t you tell your mother and I what you’re feeling, what’s bothering you.” His father said and Ulysses let out a breath, “its nothing,” he said and his mother looked at him. “It has to be something Ulysses,” she said and he let out a breath as he ran his finger over the rim of his glass. “Well I think I’ve found something that will help; I’ve given you the position of head of security over the entire Island. You’ll be in charge of making sure things are running smoothly in the markets, making the people feel safe if they don’t, putting out trouble that sort of thing.” Julian said as he looked at his son, “that sounds like a great position Ulysses,” his mother said and he looked at them with no hint of a smile or gratefulness on his face. “Thanks but no thanks,” Ulysses said and Julian lost his smile as he looked at his son, “Ulysses do you realize the power and responsibility I’ve just given you?” He asked and Ulysses nodded, “and I don’t want it. You just want to bury me in work, hoping I’ll forget about whatever’s bothering me. I don’t want to forget about it, I want to find out what it is and solve the problem.”

He said and Julian nodded, “and you can still do that as head of security,” Julian said and Ulysses sat up in his chair and looked his father dead in the eyes. “I don’t want the position,” he said and Julian looked back at his son. “Whether you want it or not it’s been given to you and you will do the job correctly,” Julian said and Ulysses looked at him then let out a breath. “I’m going to my room,” he said as he stood then looked at Camilla putting his hands on the table so that he could bend over and speak to her. “Oh and little sister I’ll sleep with whom I’m damn well please regardless of what you or our father has to say,” he told her then looked at his father sure he had heard the words that were spoken to Camilla. Ulysses looked into his father’s eyes then stood and walked away from the table and out of the Dinning hall. “What is wrong with that boy?” Julian wondered out loud; they weren’t the only ones watching Ulysses walk out of the Dinning Hall. Victoria had her eyes on him and after a few minutes she excused herself from the table and followed Ulysses.

She saw Ulysses walking down the hall so she did a light jog to catch up with him, “hey Ulysses slow down,” she said and he turned his head and looked at her but continued walking. “I’m not supposed to be talking to you,” he said as he continued walking, “says who?” Victoria asked and he let out a breath, “my annoying sister and my almighty father,” he said and Victoria thought about that for a minute then grabbed his arm stopping him and he let out a breath and looked at her. “That’s not going to stop you is it?” She asked and Ulysses looked at her, “not really,” he said and she grinned and he just continued his walking. Victoria could tell he was mad by his silence and the way he walked which was hard and fast, “do you want to talk about what’s bothering you?” She asked, “not really,” he answered and she nodded and was quiet as they continued to walk. “Were you and Camilla fighting over me?” She asked after a minute and he let out a breath, “yes,” he said and she looked at him.

“Do I interest you that much that you would fight over me with your sister?” She asked and he let out a breath, “Victoria I’m sure Camilla has told you what a horrible man I am when it comes to women so save yourself the trouble and head back to the Dinning hall.” He said as he slowed down his step until he was in front of his door pulling out a key to open it and she placed her hand on his arm and he turned and looked at her. “What if I want the trouble?” She asked and he looked into her eyes then let out a breath, “suit yourself,” he said as he opened the door and walked in followed by Victoria and he closed and locked the door behind him. Victoria looked around the room then followed Ulysses into his bedroom; he immediately walked over to the table that held the beverages and poured himself a glass of wine. “Would you like something to drink?” He asked her and she nodded as she looked around his room. Ulysses walked over to her with two glasses of wine in his hands, “here you go,” he said and she smiled her thanks to him as she took the glass and watched as he sat down on the sofa in the room.

He took a deep gulp of wine then sat the glass down on the floor as he undid his cuffs, then undid a few buttons on his shirt before he pulled his shirt out of his pants. He picked his glass up taking another gulp before he laid his head back and let out a breath. Victoria looked at him then walked over to the sofa and sat down next to him, she looked at him then sat her glass down on the floor before she hesitantly took his hand in hers bringing it up to her lips and softly kissing the back of it. She looked at him and he hadn’t opened his eyes but he acknowledged she was there. She moved closer to him her thigh touching his as she ran her fingers soothingly through his hair he let her do that for a while then opened his eyes and looked at her. “You know it would help if you talked about it,” she said and Ulysses looked at her looked into her eyes as he brought his finger up and caressed her cheek. “You’re beautiful,” he whispered and she looked at him, “talk,” she whispered back to him and he looked into her eyes then turned his head as he let out a breath.

“Do you believe that we are meant to be what we were born into?” He asked and she looked at him as she continued to run her fingers through his hair. “You’re asking if you’re meant to be king since that is the only choice that has been lain out before you?” She asked and he turned his head and looked at her, “yea,” he said and she looked into his eyes as she answered. “I believe that we are what we want to be, no one can make you the person you are Ulysses, you choose your own destiny, your own path.” She said and he sat up and looked at her turning his body so that he was facing her, “that sounds good to me but those words don’t apply to me. They don’t apply to the son of a king whose destined to be king himself one day.” Ulysses said then looked down at the glass in his hand, “no, as much as I wish, those words don’t apply to me, they never can and they never will. The burden of the first born,” he said and Victoria looked at him.

She raised his chin and looked into his eyes, “I don’t care if you’re a King, a god, nobleman or villager you choose who you want to be no one else can do it for you. Say this life is all you know but it doesn’t make you, it doesn’t define who you are. Just because you are born into a family of farmers doesn’t mean you have to become one, yes its all you know, it’s all you’ve grown up around but there are other choices. I say the same thing to you Ulysses, just because you’re next in line doesn’t mean you have to take the throne. Be who you want to be,” Victoria said and Ulysses looked at her then grinned, “now I know why I find you so interesting.” He said and she smiled at him; they talked for a while longer Ulysses getting to know her and she getting to know a little bit about Ulysses, it wasn’t easy to get him to open up. Ulysses sat his glass down on the floor off to the side then leaned in and kissed Victoria softly. The kisses they shared started off soft and were just a soft tasting of lips, but gradually Ulysses’ increased it.

They were involved in a passionate tasting of lips when Ulysses’ hand started pushing her dress up so that he could caress her thigh. Victoria didn’t mind that too much in fact she pulled Ulysses’ closer and moaned as he deepened the kiss by pushing his tongue into her mouth. Ulysses moved closer and continued to caress her thigh his hand slowly inching inward but she stopped him half way putting her hand on his as she pulled back from the kiss. “What’s wrong?” He asked her and she looked at him, “I’m…I’m not sure if I want to do this,” she said and he looked at her. “Did I hurt you?” He asked and she swallowed as she shook her head, “no its just that…well Camilla said,” she said and Ulysses let out a breath as he removed his hand and gave her some space. “Look Victoria let me be honest with you; I’m not looking for a wife or a girlfriend. I’m just looking for someone I can spend time with, make love to with really no strings attached.” He said as he looked into her eyes and she looked into his, “I’m sure Camilla has told you all kinds of things about me. How I’ll sleep with you then leave you,” he said and she looked down.

“I will admit I have done that in the past, but that’s not what I’m trying to do with you.” He said then raised her chin so that he was looking into her eyes and she was looking into his, “I’m not trying to hurt you Victoria,” he whispered to her and she looked at him. He leaned in and kissed her softly and when the kiss ended he went in for another and when he went to kiss her again she turned her head. “I don’t know Ulysses,” she said and he looked at her, “I’m not going to pressure you into anything Victoria, but you knew what you were getting into when you approached me in the hall.” He said and she looked at him, “I saw you’re argument with your sister and father and thought you could use someone to talk to,” she said and he looked at her. “That may be, but you were also thinking about earlier. About when we kissed, how good it felt to have my arms around you tightly. To be pressed against me while my lips are pressed against yours; I felt earlier how much you wanted me, tell me you weren’t thinking about all of that when you thought about approaching me.”

He said and she turned her head looking away from him and after a minute he let out a breath, “you’re a grown woman Victoria make your own decision about if you want to be with me.” He said, “I just…” she said then let out a breath; Ulysses looked at her and gently grabbed her chin and turned her face towards him. “Trust me,” he said then leaned in and kissed her softly, when the kiss ended he looked into her eyes and saw no objection about him kissing her again. This kiss was a passionate tasting of lips and when it ended he leaned down and started kissing and lightly sucking on her neck. “I know you want me I can see it in your eyes,” he whispered in her ear then flicked his tongue over her earlobe feeling the shiver run through her body. “I can feel it in your body,” he said then kissed her right below her ear, “I can make you feel real good Victoria if you let me,” he whispered seductively in her ear and she let out a gasp as his hand rubbed the heat between her legs. She was so occupied with his kisses and voice that she didn’t notice his hand was under her skirt and caressing her through her underwear.

He rose up and kissed her the kiss slowly turning passionate and when it did his fingers went into her underwear and down to that moist heat. When his fingers made contact she moaned as did he and he began to stroke her as they kissed. When the kiss ended he looked at Victoria who had her eyes closed as she moaned her hands clenching at the sofa. Ulysses kissed her lips softly as he slowly eased his finger down, “you want me?” He asked her and she moaned, “yes,” she whimpered then moaned as he pushed his finger into her. He stroked her a few times then crooked his finger and rubbed her inner walls; he looked at her as she started moaning in pleasure and he leaned down placing soft kisses on her lips, around her lips and on her cheeks. Her release was building fast and a few minutes later she came hard and fast; she lay on the sofa catching her breath and Ulysses looked at her. He stood and before Victoria knew it she was being lifted up into his strong arms; Ulysses carried her over to the bed gently laying her down in the middle. He kicked off his boots then took of his belt before he got into the bed laying on his side next to her as he caressed her cheek with his fingers.

She looked at him then met him half way as he leaned down to kiss her. As time passed their clothes was scattered all over the floor and Ulysses kissed Victoria’s entire body slowly making his way down. When he was finally between her legs she looked up at the ceiling her eyes wide open as was her mouth as Ulysses tasted her. He went slowly for her, letting her get use to the feeling, so sometimes he pulled back and kissed and sucked on her thighs and legs before he went back. Eventually she started pushing into his mouth and he moaned as he gripped her thighs and began to pleasure her with his lips, teeth and tongue. She turned her head to the side one hand gripping the sheets while the other gripped Ulysses’ hair as constant moans left her throat. “Unnnngh…un…un,” she moaned then nearly screamed as Ulysses pulled back and held her lips open with his fingers then leaned forward and sucked on her labia moving his mouth up to her clit. Her hands started pushing at Ulysses’ shoulders and he took them and pinned them to the bed.

“Ummmm…Aaaahhhh,” Victoria moaned as her back arched off the bed and Ulysses moaned as he looked at her then added more pressure to his suck and worked his tongue while he used his teeth to scrape at the sensitive flesh. Victoria fell back down to the bed when Ulysses raised up to look down at his handy work; he held her open a little wider then leaned down and licked all around. Victoria’s body shook with pleasure and her hand ran over Ulysses’ arm as she moaned constantly; seven minutes later Victoria cried her release to the ceiling and Ulysses moaned as he lapped at her. She fell back down on the bed breathing hard as she tried to catch her breath and Ulysses caressed her softly with his tongue after he was finished with his clean up. When he was done he placed a few soft kisses on her thighs then kissed his way back up. He looked down at Victoria who was still trying to catch her breath, “you alright?” He asked her and she opened her eyes and nodded. “Yea, that was amazing,” she said and he grinned at her. “That was just a taste,” he said as he caressed her cheek with his finger then leaned down and kissed her softly.

He let her rest so for a while they lay there lazily kissing until she let him know she was ready by grinding into him. The kisses became deeper, more passionate and longer. Ulysses held his erect cock with one hand and brushed the tip against her nether lips, sliding it in between them getting it slick before he slid down to her opening. The kiss ended and she looked at Ulysses, “I’ve never been with anyone as big as you,” she said and he grinned at her. “It’s okay just relax,” he said then started placing soft kisses every where. He kissed on her neck making his way up to her neck, “relax, I promise I won’t hurt you,” he whispered to her then continued kissing her. He was sucking on a spot on her neck that she was real sensitive to and it was causing her to moan a lot. Ulysses took this time while she was relaxed and occupied to push into her. He rose up in time to look at her the surprise look on her face as he filled her like no one else ever had. He kissed her softly then after a minute slowly pulled out and pushed back in.

“Unnnngh,” she moaned as her hands clung to Ulysses’ back; he started a real slow rhythm letting her get use to the feel of him. As time passed, they shared passionate kisses as he thrust in and out of her and he swallowed all of her moans as he created pleasure in her she had never felt. Half an hour passed and Ulysses was kissing and sucking on her neck as he thrust into her at a medium pace, sweat covering both of their bodies and moans filled the room. Eventually Ulysses rose up and kissed her deeply and as they kissed he raised himself up so that he pushed her legs open wider and went deeper into her. As a result she moaned loudly and left four scratches on his back; in this position Ulysses seemed to be in better access to her body and he drove her wild. Before she released she was whimpering; when the final moments came all she could do was moan and caress Ulysses’ back as he kissed on her neck. His lips rested on her jaw as he did a few more thrusts then groaned as he released and Victoria moaned as she arched into him holding on tight to his arms.

After that they lay in the bed the sheet covering their naked bodies; Victoria lay in Ulysses’ arms running her hand over his chest as he caressed the back of her neck and they lay there in the dark in complete silence. After a while she raised her head and looked at Ulysses who was staring out at nothing and it was obvious that he was thinking about something. “What’s on your mind?” She asked him startling him out of his thoughts and he turned and looked at her then let out a breath, “what we talked about earlier,” he said and she looked at him. “You want to talk about it some more?” She asked him and he shook his head, “I doubt that it would help,” he said as he turned his head back and she looked at him. She placed a kiss on his chest, then another and another; she turned his face back towards her and kissed him softly. When the kiss ended she looked into his eyes, “you never know. Tell me,” she said and he looked into her eyes seeing that she honestly wanted to know that she cared.

“Today at dinner my father told me that he has given me the position of overseeing the security of the entire island,” Ulysses said and Victoria looked at him. “Well that’s good isn’t it?” She asked and he let out a breath as he raised his arm some then dropped it, “I guess so but I just don’t want to be that much involved in Ithaca right now. I’m trying to figure things out for myself without having other responsibilities thrown at me.” He said and she looked at him, “why don’t you sit down and have a talk with your father, tell him how you’re feeling,” Victoria suggested and Ulysses shook his head. “He doesn’t want to hear it, as far as he’s concerned I’m a man now and I should be involving myself more where Ithaca is concerned. All he sees when he looks at me is the heir to his throne,” Ulysses said and Victoria looked down for a moment as her fingers caressed his chest. “I don’t think anyone really know how hard it is on you,” Victoria said after a minute of silence and he looked at her. “No, they think its fun and games all the time; oh look Ulysses’ with another girl that’s all he does,” Ulysses said and Victoria looked at him.

“Well I don’t think that’s all there is to you granted you do what you do well,” she said with a grin and Ulysses smiled up at her. “Well Victoria if I didn’t know better I’d say you actually like being with me,” he said as he rose up and she grinned at him as she caressed his chin. “I do, you’re amazing,” she said and he grinned then leaned in and tasted her lips and as they kissed Victoria ran her hand over his back then pushed him down flat on the bed and he looked at her as she straddled his waist. “I was surprised before,” she said as she ran her hands over his chest and he caressed her thighs as he looked at her, “but now that I know just how impressive you are let me show you how amazing I can be.” She said with a grin then leaned down and kissed Ulysses. Forty five minutes later Victoria was still on top riding Ulysses moaning as he even now he filled her completely. “Unnnngh…ummmm,” she moaned as she tilted her head back and started moving her hips faster and faster. Ulysses moaned as he looked at her and ran his hands over her thighs up to her waist then caressing her stomach.

After a couple of minutes he sat up and wrapped his arms around her pulling her closer as he devoured her mouth; she moaned as she held onto his arms while still moving and when the kiss ended he started kissing and sucking on her neck. He kissed his way down to her breasts where he sucked on each nipple for a little bit then kissed his way back up. “Push your hips down harder,” he whispered to her as he kissed on her jaw line and Victoria moaned as she placed her hands on his shoulders and pushed down harder like he told her. “Unnngh,” she cried out I pleasure her fingers digging into his shoulders. “That’s it,” Ulysses moaned as he caressed her back. She was good on her own but he could teach her how to be better and so he continued to give her pointers. About twenty minutes later Ulysses fell back on the bed and Victoria fell on top of him both sweaty and breathless but both had grins on their faces.

They lay there for a few minutes resting and then Victoria raised her head, “okay I think I’ve got it now. What’d you say we give it another try?” She asked as she leaned down and kissed his jaw and he grinned at her, “if that’s what you want,” he said. “It is,” she said as she raised her head then kissed him and as they kissed Ulysses rolled Victoria onto her back and deepened the kiss and they started all over again. This time an hour passed and Victoria thought she had died and gone to the Elysian Fields. She started out on her back and Ulysses was driving him crazy and then she wanted to test out what she learned so she rolled him onto his back and had a go at it. She was definitely getting the hang of it and her hands pressed down hard on Ulysses’ chest as she continued to ride him. Her head tilted back and constant moans and cries came from her mouth; Ulysses moaned as he held on tight to her waist and a couple of times he hissed in pleasure as she started adding her own little small touches here and there to what he had taught her.

“Ulysses…oh Ulysses…ooohhhh,” she moaned as her release started and before he knew it her hips were going crazy and she rode him hard and fast back and forth. “Aaahhhh,” he moaned as he closed his eyes tightly while holding on to her as his release took him. Victoria fell on top of Ulysses sweaty, exhausted and out of breath, “how…how was…that?” She asked and Ulysses grinned as he caressed her back then raised her head so that he was looking into her eyes, “much better,” he said and she grinned then closed her eyes as he kissed her softly. When the kiss ended she lay her head back down on his chest, “I’m just going to lay here for a second,” she said and Ulysses let out a breath, “okay,” he said as he pulled the sheet up their bodies then placed his hand back on her lower back. Before they knew it that second turned into a minute that minute turned into minutes and those minutes turned into an hour and they were knocked out. Hours passed as they slept and it was late when Ulysses’ body woke him up letting him know he had a little too much to drink.

He opened his eyes and looked down at Victoria then let out a breath as he laid his head back down and looked up at the ceiling. He thought it was possible to hold it but he could see that wasn’t going to happen so he gently eased her off of him; he looked at her as she let out a moan but didn’t wake up. He sat up, stood up and walked quickly to the bath chamber. He let out a breath of relief as he let all that water out and when he was done he pulled the lever flushing the chamber pot then walked back into the bedroom. He sat down heavily on the bed then laid down feeling as if he hadn’t gotten any sleep, he pulled the sheet up so that basically his waist was covered and then he closed his eyes and fell back to sleep. Victoria moved her way back into Ulysses’ arm laying half on him. Morning came and the sun was starting to rise and when the beams of the sun started shining into Ulysses’ room through a crack in his curtains he groaned as he turned on his stomach grabbing his pillow to covering his face and Victoria continued to sleep but she moved so that she was laying some on Ulysses’ back.

It was an hour after sunrise and Ulysses and Victoria showed no signs of waking up. “Sarah are there any signs that say Ulysses is awake?” Marguerite asked the head maid and Sarah looked at her, “no my lady but the prince rarely calls me to do anything,” she said and Marguerite nodded. Ulysses knew he had to get up but he didn’t care, he didn’t want to head of security, there were times when he didn’t even want to be a prince. Still he knew as much as he wanted to he couldn’t neglect his duties his father would never stop harassing him about it. So he got up and went into the bath chamber where he took a hot shower. He let the water beat down on his neck and back then raised his head and let it beat down on his face and hair. He stood there for a while then he eventually grabbed some soap and a cloth and began bathing himself. While he took his shower there was a knock at the door but he couldn’t hear it, but Victoria could. She groaned when she heard the knocking, “Ulysses are you going to get that?” She asked not bothering to open her eyes but when there was no answer she opened her eyes and sat up some looking around the room for Ulysses.

She didn’t see him but the knocking was getting more constant but she wasn’t sure if she should answer it or not. After a minute she got out of the bed and looked around the room for something to wear. Seeing Ulysses’ black robe she grabbed it and put it on and being that it was too big for her even after she tied the belt she held it to her as she walked into the front room and opened the door. When she opened the door she was surprised to see who was on the other side of it, “my…my lady,” Victoria stuttered and Marguerite looked at her equally surprised to see her. “Victoria,” Marguerite said then walked into the room and Victoria closed the door behind her. “Where’s my son?” Marguerite as she turned and looked at Victoria who looked at her, “I don’t know,” she said and Marguerite looked at her then walked into the bedroom and looked at the bed where she saw it was all messed up. Victoria followed her into the room and watched as Marguerite looked around and they both looked towards the other door and Ulysses walked through it with a towel around his waist while he dried his hair with another towel.

He raised his head and his eyes connected with theirs, “good morning mother, Victoria,” he said then walked over to her giving her Victoria a brief kiss before he walked over to his closet. “Ulysses your father is expecting to see you at breakfast,” his mother said and Ulysses only rolled his eyes as he used the closet door for privacy and put on his pants. “Yea well I’ll get there when I get there,” he said as she took a shirt out of the closet and put it on then closed the door and looked at his mother as he walked over to the bed to grab his boots. Victoria looked around the room for her clothes and began to pick them up then walked over to the changing curtain and put her clothes on. Marguerite walked over to her son who had sat down on the bed and was putting on his boots, “Ulysses your father told you to leave her alone,” Marguerite said in and low voice and Ulysses looked at up at his mother. “And I told my father and my sister they don’t control who I sleep with,” he said then stood and walked over to the dresser where he picked up a brush and looked into the mirror as he brushed his damp hair.

“Ulysses I understand that you have some things you need to figure out but this attitude you have is not going to help anything. Like yesterday, your father put such trust in you when he gave you this position and you just threw it back into his face.” Marguerite said and Ulysses turned and looked at her, “because I don’t want to be involved in anything that concerns Ithaca, why can’t you guys understand that I’m just trying to find myself and I can’t do that with father constantly throwing responsibilities where Ithaca is concerned in my face. Slowly pushing me into the position of king,” Ulysses said as he began buttoning his shirt and his mother looked at him, “because Ulysses your father won’t be here always. He pushes you to become the man we know you are because he wants to make sure that Ithaca is in great hands when the day comes that he should step down or the gods forbid die.” Marguerite said and Ulysses let out a breath, “Ulysses I’m gonna go,” Victoria said as she walked over to him and he looked at her then walked up to her.

“Alright, I’ll see you later,” he said and she grinned and nodded then leaned in and kissed him softly but passionately. When the kiss ended she looked at him then turned and looked at Marguerite, “my lady,” she said bowing her head some before she headed for the door and walked out. Ulysses tucked his shirt into his pants then picked up his belt and put it on as well; Marguerite looked at her son shaking her head at him then let out a breath. “We should be going,” she said, “I’ll be there in a minute,” he said and she looked at him then turned and headed out of the room. When he heard the door close he let out a breath and sat down heavily on the sofa. He ran his fingers through his hair and let out a frustrating breath wishing everyone would just leave him alone. After a couple of minutes he stood and headed out of his room and headed to the Dinning hall. When he got there he walked over to the table and sat down in his chair, “I was wondering if you were going to show,” Julian said to his son and Ulysses let out a breath.

“Where else would you have me be?” He asked his father and Julian looked into his son’s eyes, “I would have you be at my side like my son should,” he said and Ulysses looked at him then down at the plate that had been placed in front of him. ‘And like the perfect son that I am that’s where I’ll be’ Ulysses thought to himself as he began to force himself to eat not really having much of an appetite. “Ulysses can I ask you a question?” Camilla said, “what?” He asked as he continued to look down at his plate. “Last night Victoria left the hall right after you did, she didn’t say anything to her parents so I was wondering do you know what happened to her?” Camilla asked and Ulysses rolled his eyes at his sister, “maybe she ran away,” he said ‘which is beginning to sound like a good idea’ he thought and Camilla looked at him. “Or maybe she was in your room,” she said and Ulysses let out a breath, “Camilla we’re not going to have the same conversation we had last night this morning.”

He said and she looked at him her eyes flashing, “you slept with her. You did, even after father and I told you not to,” she said and Ulysses let out a breath as he played with his food. “Camilla will you leave it alone, gods find a new topic of conversation,” Ulysses said and Camilla looked at him. “Ulysses how could you? After I asked and pleaded with you,” she said and he dropped his fork and looked at his sister. “For Zeus sake Camilla it’s not like I raped her; she came to me and we had a great time last night and it won’t be the last,” he said and she looked at him. “If I have anything to say about it, it will be,” Julian said and Ulysses turned and looked at his father. “I told you to leave Victoria alone Ulysses, you disobeyed me and probably did it on purpose.” Julian said and Ulysses looked at him, “she came to me,” he said stressing each and every word. “I told her you and Camilla didn’t want me with her, SHE decided that to be with me was what she wanted. SHE made the choice not me,” he said as he looked his father dead into his eyes.

“And frankly I’m tired of you and Camilla telling me who I can and can not see, what I can do and what I can’t do.” He said as he stood getting ready to leave, “I’m twenty five years old I’m not a child,” he said. “Well then act like the man you claim to be,” Julian said as he stood as well and looked at Ulysses who looked back at him. “You don’t want me to be the man I want to be you want me to be the man that you’re trying to mold.” Ulysses said, “what are you talking about?” His father asked and Ulysses looked at him, “this head of security position you’ve given me. I don’t want the position, I’ve never once come to you asking to be more involved in Ithaca’s business,” Ulysses said and Julian nodded. “I know and that was a problem, as you say Ulysses you’re twenty five, you’re a man now, a man that should be learning how to take care of his island. So I decided that this was something you needed, something that would help you,” he said and Ulysses shook his head. “This isn’t helping me, its helping you but not me.

Father I feel empty, lost and alone and I want to find myself I want to do something more than what has been lain out before me. Something is calling to me and I need to find out what, I can’t do that if you keep constantly throwing things at me that I have to do for Ithaca. More and more responsibilities that I’m just not ready for right now,” Ulysses said as he looked into his father’s eyes deciding to let him know what he was feeling. “Daddy, please why can’t you understand that?” He asked and Julian looked at his son his eyes softening, “Ulysses I know how you’re feeling and I know where you’re coming from, but son this is the path that has been lain out for you and its time that you start walking it.” Julian said and Ulysses looked at his father and shook his head, “you haven’t heard a word I’ve said,” Ulysses said as he looked at his father then looked down. Julian let out a breath as he sat back down in his chair, “I have heard you Ulysses but it’s you that hasn’t heard me. I’ve given you this position to help you, to push you a little in the right direction hoping you’ll take it from there.”

King Julian let out a breath as he looked at his son, “I can see now that you need more than a little push,” he said then let out a breath. “So in addition to your new position you’re to start attending the meetings I have with my advisors and you’re going to start handling the trade. What we trade, who we trade it with, when it comes in and the protection of it. I’m putting more of Ithaca into your hands and I know you feel like it may be too much but you’ll see that its not. This will help you Ulysses, I’m doing this because I believe this is what’s best for you.” Julian said and Ulysses’ jaw clenched and unclenched as he contained his anger and he couldn’t believe how his father had just dismissed what he had said all together. It was like he was dismissing his feelings, how he felt and what mattered to him. “May I be excused? As you’ve just pointed out I have a lot to prepare for,” Ulysses said and Julian looked into his son’s eyes which were hard, cold and full of anger and hurt. “Ulysses,” Julian said in a soft voice, “may I be excused?”

Ulysses said again and Julian looked at his son and nodded and Ulysses quickly left the table and the room. He walked quickly down the halls feeling like he needed some air and the next thing he new he was running. Even when he was outside the walls of the palace he continued to run until he finally stopped by a pond. He stood there breathing hard then decided to take his frustrations out on a nearby tree and started kicking it hard and hit it with his fists. Finally an hour later with his hands bloody, his legs hurting and body covered in sweat he stopped. He fell down to his knees placing his hands on the tree as he closed his eyes and leaned forward, “someone, anyone help me,” he prayed then let a few tears drop for his lost soul. Unnoticed by him there was a god listening to his prayers, “soon Ulysses, soon you will find what you’re looking for,” the voice said as it watched Ulysses through a portal high up on Mount Olympus.

Ulysses sat there for a while as he looked out over the calm water wishing his raging body inside would be as calm as that water. He sat there for about another hour until he heard the pounding of hooves but he didn’t even look up as the sound got louder but slowed down. “Hey Ulysses are you alright?” Virgil asked as he got down off of the horse and walked over to Ulysses who looked out at the water. Virgil looked at his best friend then stooped down next to him, “your mother was worried about you so she sent me to find you,” he said then looked at the front of Ulysses’ shirt which was wet and his eyes traveled down to his hand where he saw the bloodied mess. He looked at the tree Ulysses was leaning against and saw the blood and guess what pretty much happened. “Why don’t I get you back to the palace so we can get your hands fixed up?” Virgil said as he placed his hand on Ulysses’ shoulders and that seem to draw Ulysses out of whatever trance he was in and he looked at Virgil.

“You’re my friend aren’t you Virgil?” Ulysses asked and Virgil grinned at him, “of course, we’re brothers,” he said and Ulysses nodded then looked back out at the water. “If I were to leave this place would you come with me?” Ulysses asked and Virgil brow scrunched up in thought, “what do you mean? If you leave the pond?” Virgil asked and Ulysses shook his head, “If I leave Ithaca with the intentions of never coming back, would you leave with me?” Ulysses asked and Virgil looked at him the out at the water, “my family is here, all my friends Ithaca is all I’ve really ever known except when we’ve been in wars and stuff. But I guess, yea I would leave with you, travel the world and see what else is out there.” Virgil said and he grinned and nodded as he thought about that, “yea I could do that, meet new women.” He said and that brought a smile to Ulysses lips as he looked at his friend, “don’t ever change,” Ulysses said as he placed his hand against Virgil’s face and Virgil looked into his friend’s eyes seeing so much and most of what he saw he didn’t like. “Why would I change when I like who I am?”

Virgil said and Ulysses looked at him, “at least you know who you are,” he said and Virgil looked at him then took Ulysses’ hand from his face. “Come on let’s get your hands looked at,” he said as he stood and he pulled Ulysses up with him. Ulysses wobbled some his legs still hurting and Virgil helped steady him, “I got mad and kicked the tree,” Ulysses said and Virgil nodded as they walked over to the horse who was munching on some grass. “Yea that could be it or it could be you ran at least twenty miles from the palace,” Virgil said as he got onto the horse then reached his arm down for Ulysses to grasp. “Yea that could be it too,” Ulysses said as he took Virgil’s arm and help pull himself up onto the horse. When he was on he settled himself behind Virgil and they rode back to the palace. Virgil didn’t like the deathly silence so he found a mutual topic to talk about, “so how was Victoria?” He asked and smiled when he felt Ulysses chuckle, “she was a little hesitant at first but you know how fast that flies out the window.”

Ulysses said and Virgil grinned and nodded and that was their topic, sex, while they rode back to the palace and when they got there Ulysses got down first then Virgil and a stable boy took the horse. They walked up the stairs entering the palace and then they walked to Ulysses room where his mother waited for him by his door. “Thank the gods you found him,” Marguerite said and Ulysses just walked into his room heading to his bedroom. “I’ll get some stuff for your hands,” Virgil said as he walked into the bath chamber and Marguerite walked over to her son, “what did…?” She started to ask but when she picked up Ulysses’ hands she frowned at the damage. He took his hands from hers and walked over to the bed where he sat down, “its nothing,” he said and she looked at him. “Ulysses,” Marguerite started to say and he looked at her, “why didn’t you say something? Why did you let him put all that on me?” Ulysses asked his mother and she looked at him as she walked over to him, “Ulysses your father believes he’s doing what’s right for you.” She said and he shook his head, “he didn’t even listen to me, I thought if I told him how I felt he would understand and maybe help me but if this is his version of help then I don’t want it.

I want nothing from him,” Ulysses said then stood and walked away from his mother and she turned and looked at her son. “All I want is to be able to find who I am what more I’m meant for and all he cares about is Ithaca.” Ulysses said, “oh Ulysses that’s not true, your father loves you.” She said and Ulysses let out a disgusting chuckle at that, “yea, he loves me because I’m his heir but if he were to find out that this is not what I want to do.” Ulysses said then shook his head, “Ulysses you said it yourself you don’t know what you want. Your father is just trying to help you see that this is it, yet its not. A prince is who you are and a king is who you will be someday, he’s just preparing you for it.” Marguerite said then walked up to Ulysses placing her hand on his cheek and he looked at her, “oh my son you can’t run from this. Ulysses why don’t you give it a try you may see that this is indeed what you need,” she said and he looked into her eyes and shook his head.

“I thought you understood me momma,” he said in a sad lonely voice and she looked at him. Ulysses backed away from her touch and turned to walk over to the window where he looked out at the city. Marguerite looked down for a moment then looked up as Virgil walked back into the room and he looked at them as he walked over to the table where he placed the basin full of warm water that held a powder mixture in it down on the table. “What’s wrong?” He asked them and Marguerite looked at her son then back at Virgil, “take care of my son,” she said and Virgil looked at Marguerite as she turned and walked out of the room. Virgil shook his head then looked at Ulysses, “come over here will you?” He told his friend and Ulysses let out a breath and walked over to the table where he sat down. “Put your hands in the basin,” Virgil said and Ulysses placed his hands in the water wincing at the herbs in the water began to clean his hands. Virgil grabbed some bandages and salve from a draw then walked back over to the table where he sat down.

“You want to tell me what happened that made you go all postal on the tree?” Virgil asked and Ulysses looked at his friend, “my father has decided to give me more duties.” Ulysses said and then he explained what happened this morning as his hands soaked. “Man, that is a lot to be putting on you all at one time,” Virgil said and Ulysses just let out a breath as Virgil took one of his hands out of the water and dried it off dabbing at the scarred skin on Ulysses’ hand. “He’s basically just put half of Ithaca’s welfare in my hands,” Ulysses said and Virgil nodded as he rubbed some of the salve on Ulysses’ hand. “The thing that gets me is he basically ignored what I said, like what I was feeling didn’t matter. I thought my mother understood me but she doesn’t she sees that what my father is doing will be good for me in the long run.” Ulysses said as Virgil started wrapping his hand, “well if you want I’ll help you. My father has been getting on my case lately too; he thinks I should be doing more as an advisor because one day I’ll take his place as head advisor.”

Virgil said and Ulysses nodded, “isn’t that something Virgil we don’t even get a choice as to what we wanna do, who we wanna be. Kings, Queens, noblemen, we’re all supposed to be so much better than the peasants we rule over, but if we’re honest with ourselves they have more of a life than we’ll ever have. Freedom is that they have and we don’t have it at all, we’re bound by the rules and appearances of royalty. Do you know the most freedom we’ve had is when we had to go fight in a war or battle. We explored, had a little fun, some wild times,” Ulysses said and Virgil grinned and nodded as he wrapped Ulysses’ other hand, “yea that’s true and I’ve never thought about us being captive versus the villagers being free, but you’re right it is like that.” He said and Ulysses just let out a breath, “there’s nothing I can do but suck it up and live with it,” Ulysses said then looked at Virgil. “Thanks,” he said referring to his hands and Virgil nodded, “there was one other time when we were free.” Virgil said and Ulysses looked at him, “when?” He asked and Virgil grinned, “I can’t believe you’ve forgotten,” he said then let out a breath.

“How about our teenage years at the academy, you, me and Gary, started singing and ditching classes,” Virgil said and Ulysses grinned and nodded, “yea, life was perfect up until three years ago,” Ulysses said and Virgil looked at him. “It’s more like two years ago,” Virgil said and Ulysses looked at him then stood. “Maybe that’s it, maybe I’m just having a hard time adjusting,” Ulysses said and Virgil nodded. “Could be, maybe that’s why we still sleep around so much,” Virgil said and Ulysses hunched his shoulders as he sat down on his fresh made up bed. “Victoria was the first I’ve had in a month; I just haven’t been feeling the excitement of it lately. Last night was good, she surprised me because we went three times but it just wasn’t there.” Ulysses said then looked at Virgil, “do you know what I’m talking about?” Ulysses asked and Virgil nodded as he stood and walked over to the bed sitting down. “Unfortunately I do, lately I’ve been feeling what you’re feeling but I keep doing what I do hoping it’ll go away but it hasn’t.”

Virgil said and they both let out sighs, “you know Virgil we’re twenty five maybe its time that we do grow up,” Ulysses said and Virgil looked at him. “What do you mean? Like settling down, getting married, having children and actually taking our jobs seriously stuff like that?” Virgil asked and Ulysses grinned at his friend, “yea stuff like that but you don’t have to do it all at once Virgil so you can relax,” Ulysses said and Virgil nodded as he let out a breath. “I’m just thinking if maybe we should start acting like the men we are,” Ulysses said and Virgil looked out at the room. “I guess,” he said and they both continued to sit there for a while just thinking about what they had just discussed. The following week passed and Ulysses took his new duties seriously, his father often grinned at him and smiled as he son was doing a good job and becoming the man he knew he was. Ulysses put on a brave front but he felt like he was dying in the inside, things that use to matter to him didn’t matter at all anymore. Virgil true to his word helped Ulysses with his work he was his right hand man the way Ulysses knew he would be even when Ulysses became King one day.

Ulysses spent a few nights with Victoria sometimes they just talked and other times they had sex all night since it was the only way Ulysses could feel alive. At breakfast, lunch and dinner he was quiet as he sat there and ate his food, he didn’t really talk to his father if it didn’t concern business and he was still upset with his mother for not helping him, for not taking his side and for not understanding. Camilla didn’t talk to him because she was upset with him about Victoria and the face that they saw each other but Ulysses wouldn’t really call it that. She was more of a good friend who he could vent to and at the same time received pleasure from being with her, he let her constantly know that what they shared wasn’t going to evolve into anything and she said all the time she knew. Another week passed and things were still the same though Ulysses felt like he was getting worse, like he was suffocating in the inside. It was dinner time and they were all sitting at the table eating and they were all talking all except for Ulysses who heard them but at the same time he didn’t.

“Ulysses, Ulysses did you hear me?” Camilla called and he raised his head and looked at her, “what?” He asked and she let out a breath as she looked at her brother. “What’s wrong with you? You’re just sitting there,” Camilla said and he looked at her then let out a breath, “what do you want me to do Camilla jump around the room?” Ulysses asked his sister as he picked up his glass and took a deep gulp, “well it would be better than you just sitting there saying nothing,” she said and he ignored her. “Your sister’s right Ulysses, for two weeks now you’ve just been sitting there not saying anything, sulking about only gods know what.” Julian said and Ulysses just hunched his shoulders, “so,” he said, “so, what’s wrong Ulysses?” His mother asked and he didn’t look at her, “nothing,” he said. “Well something’s wrong and since you’re obviously not going to tell us whatever is bothering you fix the problem so you can stop sulking.”

Julian said and Ulysses slammed his glass down on the table as he looked at his father, “what do you want from me, what in Tartarus do you want? I mean you give me all these things to do and I do them and damn well, but its not enough for you, for any of you.” He said and they looked at him, “Ulysses we’re just concerned about you,” Marguerite said to her, “well keep your concern I don’t need it, I needed it two weeks ago you didn’t give it to me then so I don’t need it now.” He said and Julian slammed his fist down on the table, “don’t talk to your mother like that,” he said and Ulysses let out breath as he picked up his glass to take a drink but his father knocked the glass out of his hand and Ulysses stood his eyes flashing and Julian stood too his eyes flashing as well; the whole dinning hall went quiet as they watched the scene unfold.

“I’m just about tired of all this Ulysses; so you’re not happy with your current life we can’t always have what we want. You have responsibilities here and its time you took them in grace. You are to be King one day Ulysses and its time that you act as a prince taking your responsibilities seriously and stop pouting because you’re not getting your way. Stop acting like a petulant child,” Julian yelled at his son and Ulysses looked at him, “you care nothing about me only about this island.” Ulysses said as he shook his head, “Julian, Ulysses please,” Marguerite said as she stood and put a calming hand on her husband’s arm and looked at her son with pleading eyes. “I’ve done all that you’ve asked of me, but it isn’t enough for you, it’ll never be enough. You won’t be happy until you’ve drained me of life until I’m as dead as you are,” Ulysses said and the next thing Julian knew his hand flew out and he punched his son hard in the face. Ulysses’ face turned to the side and blood rolled down the corner of his mouth.

“If I am drained of life it’s because I’ve proudly made sure Ithaca remains full of life,” Julian said his face full of anger as his own son disrespected him. Ulysses wiped the blood from his lip as he looked at his father, “and you want me to be exactly like you,” he said and Ulysses shook his head. “That’s one thing you will never get from me, never,” Ulysses said then moved his chair out of the way, “don’t turn your back on me,” Julian yelled but Ulysses just continued to walk out of the dinning hall. Ulysses walked determinedly down the hall all most running into Virgil, “whoa where’s the fire?” Virgil asked then looked at Ulysses, “what happened to you?” Virgil asked and Ulysses looked at him, “I’m leaving,” he said then started walking and Virgil turned and followed him. “What? What do you mean you’re leaving?” Virgil asked trying to get some answers out of his friend, “I’ve had enough of it. Enough of them all trying to mold me into a man I don’t want to be, I feel like the life is slowly draining from me and I won’t let that happen. I won’t become like my father the great King,” Ulysses said and when he got to his room he went straight to the bedroom and to his closet where he grabbed two bags and started throwing clothes and items that meant something into them.

“Ulysses slow down and think, I mean you’re upset don’t do something you’re gonna regret,” Virgil said and Ulysses looked at his friend. “I’m not gonna regret it. I’ve been thinking about this for a while,” Ulysses said then continued packing then stopped to turn and look at his best friend, his brother. “Come with me,” he said and Virgil looked at him, “Ulysses I can’t just drop everything and leave,” Virgil said and Ulysses looked at him. “Why not? You were mostly helping me and if I’m not here there’s no reason for you to be here. What about what you said at the pond Virgil? You said you wouldn’t mind experiencing some knew things, doing new things, meeting new women.” Ulysses said and Virgil grinned, “I did say that didn’t I?” He asked and Ulysses grinned and nodded and Virgil looked at him a smile coming to his lips, “I go where you go,” he said as he held out his arm and Ulysses smiled as he grasped Virgil’s arm in a warrior’s handshake. “Brothers in arms,” Ulysses said and Virgil grinned. “Let me go get my stuff,” Virgil said and Ulysses nodded.

“We’re leaving in secret so don’t tell any body,” Ulysses said and Virgil nodded and left the room quickly heading to get his things. Ulysses finished packing his bags then went over to his bed where he got down on his stomach and crawled his way underneath the bed crawling his way up to the head of the bed. When he was at the wall he pushed on two stones at the same time and a small piece of the wall moved to the side. Ulysses reached his hand inside and pulled out one sack then went in and pulled out two others. He pushed the stones again closing the wall then pushed the sacks from under the bed and he went behind them. He stood and grabbed the sacks placing them on the bed and he opened one; what the medium sack contained was money had been putting on the side since he couldn’t remember when. He placed some clothes in the bottom of the bag then placed the three sacks in the bag that he had also pulled from the wall; he pushed the sacks down then placed a few pieces of clothes on the sides of the sacks and on the top cushioning them so that they didn’t really make noise.

He pushed down on the bag then fastened it closed when he was done he looked around his room trying to see if there was anything else that he wanted to take with him and when he was sure he had everything he sat down at his desk and wrote his quick short note. “Ulysses,” Victoria called and Ulysses spun around and looked at her, “are you alright?” She asked as she walked over to him and he turned back to his desk folding the note, “I will be,” he said then stood and walked over to her. She looked at him then to his bed where she saw the packed bags, “are you going somewhere?” She asked and he looked at her, “I’m leaving Victoria and I don’t mean to come back,” he said and she looked at him. “But you…you can’t just leave,” she said and he looked at her. “I can and I am. Please understand Victoria I’m dying here I need to go out into the world and see for myself what I’m missing and hopefully I’ll find what I’ve been looking for.” He said and she looked into her eyes then looked down as she nodded, “I’m going to miss you,” she said and he looked at her then walked up closer to her pulling her into his arms as they shared a hug.

“I’m going to miss you too, you were a good friend to me Victoria and I enjoyed being with you, talking with you,” Ulysses said and when he pulled back from the hug he placed his hands on the sides of her face looking at the tears that feel from her eyes. He looked into her eyes and shook his head, “don’t.” He said and she looked at him, “don’t wait for me Victoria. Live your life to the fullest, fall in love with a nice man who I know will be lucky to have you as his wife.” He said and she looked at him then looked down but he made her look back at him, “oh Victoria I warned you, I told you if you didn’t want trouble if you didn’t want to get hurt stay away from me. I’m hurting you now I see it, I’m breaking your heart and I never wanted to do that, but I can’t be the man you’re looking for, I can’t be what you need.” He told her and she nodded, “I know, but still I couldn’t stop it, I couldn’t stop myself from feeling.” She said and he looked at her, “promise me you’ll forget about me, promise me you’ll fall in love and get married be happy. I want that for you Victoria,” he said and she looked into his eyes and nodded, “I promise.”

She said and he nodded, “I need you to do something for me,” Ulysses said, “anything, “Victoria replied and Ulysses handed her the note he wrote. “This note is for my mother, give it to her two weeks after I’ve been gone,” Ulysses said and Victoria looked at him. “I know it’ll be hard, she’ll be worried about me, probably crying. She always did worry a lot,” he said with a small grin then looked back at Victoria. “But it is important that you give it to her no later than a week, I don’t want them finding me. Promise me,” Ulysses said and Victoria nodded, “I promise.” She said and Ulysses nodded then looked up as Virgil walked into the room and Victoria turned and looked at him then back at Ulysses. “Be safe,” she said and he grinned at her, “of course,” he said then hugged her again. When the hug ended he placed a kiss on her forehead, “goodbye,” he said then grabbed his bags off of the bed and walked towards Virgil and the left the room; Victoria sat down on Ulysses’ bed with his note in her hands as she shed tears for what would never be.

Ulysses and Virgil walked down the hall making sure no one saw them and then Ulysses stopped at a closet door, he opened it and walked inside. “What are you doing?” Virgil asked and Ulysses grabbed him pulling him into the room with him and closing the door behind him. “Ulysses why are we in this broom closet?” Virgil asked and Ulysses looked at him then started moving a few boxes out of the way. “You were never shown this were you?” Ulysses asked as he looked at the wall for something, “I was never shown what?” Virgil asked and when Ulysses found what he was looking for he pushed down on a stone in the wall and the wall began sliding to the side. “This,” Ulysses said and Virgil looked at the secret passage way, “no I didn’t know about this passage.” Virgil said and Ulysses nodded as he picked up his bags placing the one with the gold in it on his back since it was the heaviest, “that’s because it was for royalty only. Only a few people know of it,” Ulysses said and Virgil followed him through the passage way and Ulysses grabbed a torch from the wall light it with a spark from the two stones he hit together.

The torch lit and the small passage way was lit up; Ulysses turned and searched for the stone that would close the wall and when he found it he pushed it and the wall closed and they began walking. “Where does this lead?” Virgil asked, “out of the palace and out of the city,” he said and so they walked for a half an hour and when they finally reached the exit Ulysses found the stone and pushed on it watching as the wall slide out. They walked out into the fresh night air and Ulysses put out the torch placing in back in the passage way in a holder then closed the wall back. “I see no one’s been this way in a while,” Virgil said as they looked at the over grown veins and bushes and Ulysses nodded as he pulled his sword and went to work creating a path. When he was done they made their way out of the brush and walked into the forest. “I’m assuming we’re heading to the docks,” Virgil said and Ulysses shook his head. “Nope, I want no trace of me anywhere,” Ulysses said. “Then where are we going? Ulysses?” Virgil called as they continued walking.

They walked for two and a half hours, getting out of the forest then walking up hills that turned into a little bit of rough terrain. The next thing Virgil knew they were climbing down a mountain and when they hit the bottom there was a cave on the other side and a ship that sat in the water. They walked over to it, “hey Ulysses,” a voice called from the ship and they looked towards it and Ulysses grinned. “Danny,” he said and he and Virgil walked up the plank to the ship and when they were on Danny walked over and grasped Ulysses’ arm. “I was wondering if perhaps you had changed your mind,” he said and Ulysses shook his head, “just needed the opportunity,” he said then turned and looked at Virgil. “Danny this is my best friend Virgil, Virgil this is Danny he’s one of Ithaca’s smaller traders.” Ulysses said and Danny smiled, “pleased to meet you, any friend of Ulysses’ is a friend of mine. I owe my life to this man here,” Danny said and Ulysses grinned at him.

“Are we ready to go?” Ulysses asked and Danny nodded, “alright lets get to work, I want to be away from here in ten minutes,” Danny yelled to his crew and Ulysses grinned. “Make yourselves at home, we’ll be about a week and a half at sea,” Danny said and Ulysses grinned and nodded. Ulysses headed below deck and Virgil followed him; when they were below Ulysses chose one of the hammocks that didn’t seemed claimed by anyone and Virgil chose another. “You’ve been thinking about this for quite some time,” Virgil said as he watched Ulysses fix up his hammock and Ulysses looked at him. “That surprises you?” Ulysses asked and Virgil shook his head as he rolled up two small blankets to make a pillow then sat down on the hammock, “not really you’ve been like this for a while now. I kind of know how you feel?” Virgil said, “do you?” Ulysses asked as he laid down using the bag that held the gold as a pillow, it was a hard pillow but he meant to keep the money safe.

“I don’t think you really know Virgil; I felt like I was suffocating, like someone was slowly squeezing the life out of me. Slowly dying,” Ulysses said and Virgil nodded, “oh I know, but I didn’t have the responsibilities you did to help increase that feeling. But I do know it,” Virgil said and Ulysses turned and looked at his friend, “why didn’t you ever try to leave Virgil, you have more freedom than me. I don’t think Lucius would have opposed of you going out and doing things if he thought you were doing them for Ithaca.” Ulysses said and Virgil grinned, “yea right, my father wanted to have as much control over me as the king had over you. He was always harassing me about one thing or another, that’s why I was always out and I praised you when you asked me to move into the place. I thought finally a little freedom,” Virgil said and Ulysses nodded. “When I have my children I’m never going to be this hard on them, I’ll let them be who they want to be,” Ulysses said, “even if they your heir doesn’t want to be King or Queen?”

Virgil asked, “especially, I know I’ll understand it,” Ulysses said and Virgil nodded. “So where are we headed?” Virgil asked and Ulysses let out a breath of relief as he felt the ship drifting further and further away from his prison away from the place he was his home, he knew deep in his heart he could never really escape it but he was try hard. “I don’t know; I was thinking of having Danny drop us off some where in Macedonia and we could travel from there. See what things we can see, do what things we can do,” Ulysses said, “sleep with what women we can sleep with,” Virgil said with a smile on his face and Ulysses chuckled at his friend. “Yea,” Ulysses said, “sounds great. Good thing I brought some money with me though we might need it, with all the inns we’ll be sleeping in.” Virgil said and Ulysses shook his head at his friend, “don’t go throwing money around Virgil. We’re only sleeping in Inns when we have to, other than that we’re roughing it,” Ulysses said and Virgil groaned.

“You’re so spoiled,” Ulysses said with a grin as he turned on his side facing away from Virgil. “I don’t want to stand out Virgil I want to blend in like we are normal, average people. I don’t want anyone to know who I am, in fact I’m changing my name.” Ulysses said and Virgil rolled his eyes, “whatever all I know is if you’re gonna completely change yourself we’re gonna have to get some new clothes ‘cause these say that we have money.” Virgil said and Ulysses nodded, “yea I guess you’re right, I’ll think about it more tomorrow right now I’m tired.” Ulysses said and Virgil looked over at his friend then turned on his side and thought about the new life he was about to start. Ulysses closed his eyes and just thought about how he was finally about to be free, “free,” he mumbled in his sleep and then he fell into Morpheus’ arms welcoming peaceful dreams.

Amphipolis…

The town of Amphipolis was in the backwoods some would say, but the town was better than some and at the most the people seemed to live in peace going about their days without trouble. In the center of the town was its tavern and Inn, the Innkeepers name was Cyrene and she had three children. Tow handsome sons and a daughter; her two sons, Toris who was the oldest and Lyceus who was the youngest, were handfuls together, but her daughter, Xena, she was a handful all by herself. Tall, intelligent and the most beautiful girl in her village, with hair as black as the night sky and deep, piercing blue eyes that reminded you of the ocean on a clear day. However Xena wasn’t your ordinary village girl, she wanted more out of life than to get married and bare children. It wasn’t that she didn’t want those things, on the contrary she did, she wanted to have her own family, but she just felt that she wasn’t in that particular place in her life right now.

Her mother often pushed her about doing lady like things but Xena didn’t want that, it wasn’t who she was. She wanted to learn how to fight and she had in fact, she was learning from the best there were and when her mother found out who was training her Cyrene seem to see that her daughter did have a greater purpose in this life, so she stopped harassing her about doing those lady like things. It was a late evening and Xena sat in her room on her bed with her knees drawn up to her chest as she looked out of the window while she thought. Xena spent most of her days helping her mother around the Inn while her brothers tended to the fields they had. Other days she spent practicing her sword drills and exercising, keeping her body in perfect shape. She sat there and thought about how she felt that her life was missing something, that there was a greater purpose but she didn’t know what it was. Even with the things she did she still felt lost, alone and just plain old empty. Try as she might she couldn’t fill that void and it didn’t help that she was seemed strange among her own people.

Because she thought for herself and was able to protect herself more than other men could protect themselves, men didn’t approach her about courting her so she was left alone and that made her feel even more alone. Xena just sat there and thought until there was a knock at her door, “yea,” she said as she turned her head towards the door and she grinned as her younger brother, Lyceus walked in. “Mother said you didn’t get anything to eat for dinner so I brought you something,” Lyceus said and Xena smiled at her brother as he walked over and placed the tray on the table then walked over to the bed sitting down next to his sister. “Are you alright?” He asked and she nodded, “yea I’m fine,” she said as she looked at her brother. He had light brown, curly hair that went perfectly with his skin and his body was built quite nicely which came from working in the fields all day and sometimes practicing with her. “You don’t seem okay,” he said and she looked at her little brother, “something’s bothering me but I don’t really know what it is.

It’s like I’ve lost something or maybe there’s something out there that’ll help me find myself, fill this void in my heart.” Xena said and Lyceus looked at his sister, “I don’t know Xe it seems like it’s a problem only you can handle.” He said and she nodded then gave her brother a small grin, “thank you for bringing me the food,” she said and he smiled at her as he wrapped his arm around her pulling him against her chest and she smiled as she leaned against him. “You’re welcome, I only wish I could help you with your problem. I hate seeing you so unhappy,” he told his sister and she grinned at him. She and Lyceus were close, they were the best of friends and she loved her brother deeply. “Maybe when I find out what’s bothering me you can help me then,” she said and Lyceus nodded then placed a kiss on her forehead. Lyceus stood and looked down at Xena, “eat and get some rest maybe that’ll help,” Lyceus said and Xena grinned and nodded. He smiled at her then turned and walked out of the room closing the door behind him.

Xena let out a breath then stood and walked over to the table where she sat down and ate what was brought to her. When she was finished she decided since she wasn’t sleepy and it would probably be hard for her to get to sleep she would tire herself out. She went upstairs to the kitchen where she sat the tray down on the corner, “could you use some help mother?” Xena asked her mother and Cyrene turned her attention away from the dishes she was washing and looked at her daughter. “I could,” she said with a grin and Xena grinned and nodded and left the kitchen heading into the dinning area of the Inn where she helped clean up. When they were done Xena looked at her mother, “I’m gonna go for a run I’ll be back in an hour,” Xena said and Cyrene nodded. “Alright but be careful,” Cyrene told her daughter and Xena grinned and nodded, “always,” she said then walked over to her mother placing a kiss on her cheek.

“Good night mom,” she said, “good night dear,” Cyrene said then watched as her daughter walked out of the back door in the kitchen and into the cool night’s air. Running often helped her clear her mind or think more clearly about things so as she ran she tried to get in touch with that part of herself that seemed to be looking for something, but try as she might she couldn’t find it. She let out a breath as she stopped by the lake she ran to and just looked out at the water then closed her eyes and let the breeze sweep over her, her hair blowing beautifully in the wind. She stood there and then all of a sudden she jumped up and flipped in the air as an energy ball came towards her when she landed she landed softly on her feet and looked towards her attacker. “Always prepared,” a voice said and then a golden shower of sparkles herald Athena’s arrival and she looked at Xena. “You always taught me to be prepared,” Xena said and Athena nodded. “Your training is coming along beautifully, the best I’ve had yet,” Athena said and Xena nodded and Athena looked at her, “You seem distracted, what’s the matter?”

Athena asked and Xena looked at her then let out a breath as she turned back and looked out at the water, “I just…” Xena said then shook her head. “I don’t know…I feel like I’m missing something or should be doing something more. Before you started training me I was lost, I didn’t know what I wanted to do…no that’s not right. I knew I wanted to fight, but with the life I live, with the things that were expected of me how could I do what I wanted. Now that you’ve started training me its like my life became clear, becoming your chosen meant that I was meant for something more in this life and I would do something more. I was happy and now…” Xena said, “and now?” Athena asked as she looked out over the water, “now I feel like there’s more out there. More for me, something is calling to me and I don’t know what.” Xena said then turned and looked at Athena, “am I missing something Athena? And if I am what is it that’s causing me to feel this way? Like I won’t be complete until I find what I’m looking for,” Xena said and Athena turned to look at her chosen seeing in the depth of her eyes how she was searching for answers.

As her chosen Athena was bound to Xena so she felt what Xena felt, but it was more than that. Athena felt almost motherly towards Xena or maybe an older sister whatever it was she couldn’t stand to see her in such pain. She placed her hand on Xena’s cheek as she looked into her eyes, “yes Xena you are missing something, something very important in your life and you’ll never reach your full potential until you’ve found it.” Athena said and Xena looked at her, “then tell me what it is so that I may seek it,” Xena said and Athena grinned at her. “Oh my dear Xena you still have much to learn, you can’t always find what you’re looking for, sometimes you have to let it find you. That is so in this case,” Athena said and Xena let out a breath as she looked up at the sky tears of frustration in her eyes but she didn’t want her goddess to see her tears, she didn’t want to seem weak in front of this great being that had took her under her wing, made her believe in herself and who had taught her so much in the two years since she appeared before her.

“You could never be weak in my eyes Xena,” Athena said reading some of Xena’s thoughts and Xena looked at the goddess and try as she might she couldn’t stop the tear that rolled down her cheek. “Oh Xena you are meant to do so much, many great things,” Athena said as she wiped the tear away while looking into Xena’s eyes. “But what you’re looking for, what’s calling to you will be the greatest thing you’ll ever accomplish in this life.” Athena said and Xena looked into her eyes with wonder in hers, “fear not, what you’re looking for will be here soon,” Athena said then grinned. “Only it may take you awhile to realize it,” Athena said and Xena looked at her. “What do you mean?” She asked and Athena smiled at her, “come now, I can’t tell you everything. Life wouldn’t be as exciting as it is if I go around telling you every wonderful thing that’s about to happen to you,” Athena said and Xena grinned and nodded. “Come you need your rest,” Athena said as she held out her hand and Xena took the goddess’ hand and suddenly she felt the world swirl around her and as quick as it started it ended and she found herself standing at the back of the Inn by the back door of the kitchen.

“Thanks,” Xena said and Athena grinned and nodded then looked at Xena running her hand over the leather strap that Xena wore on her upper right arm. “In time you won’t have to hide my mark, the people of Amphipolis, the world will come to accept you and see you for the great woman you are and the great things you will do.” Athena said and Xena grinned at her, “Athena can I ask one thing?” Xena asked and Athena gave her head a nod, “will I like it? This thing that I’m missing?” Xena asked and Athena grinned at her, “I can assure you you’ll love it,” she said then leaned forward and placed a kiss on Xena’s forehead. “Sweet dreams my daughter,” Athena said and Xena grinned at the goddess then turned and headed into the Inn and when she turned around to close the door Athena was gone. Xena grinned to herself as she closed the door and locked it then went to her room where she got ready for bed. That night Xena fell asleep and she had wonderful dreams about how she would find what she was looking for and finally be happy.

The next morning came and Xena was up bright and early beating the sun; she decided to go for another run and as she ran she practiced her flips and a few sword drills.  When she reached the end of her run she did more sword drills then some push ups and sit ups. When she was done she ran back to the Inn where she quickly took a shower and got ready for the day. She walked into the kitchen where her mother already had breakfast underway, “good morning mom,” Xena said as she grabbed her apron from the hook on the wall and put it on. “Good morning dear, did you have a good run last night and this morning?” She asked and Xena grinned and nodded, “yep,” she said as she began helping her mother cook. Cyrene grinned at her daughter, cooking had been the one thing she had been able to get Xena to pick up and she picked it up well. Xena cooked well and Cyrene also was able to get her to pick up sewing, Xena had fast hands and nimble fingers which came in handy when something needed sewing and quickly.

“Good morning ladies,” an older woman around Cyrene’s age said as she walked into the kitchen through the back door, “good morning Corrinna,” they said and unison. “Something smells good,” she said as she walked over to the stove and looked down into the pots. She was ready to stick her finger in when Cyrene smacked it away with the wooden spoon she was using. “Gods Cy you know that thing hurts,” Corrinna complained and Xena smiled as she watched Corrinna rub her hand and Cyrene looked at her as she stood with one hand on her hip. “Serves you right for getting ready to stick your finger in my pot,” Cyrene said and Corrinna shook her head as she walked over to a chair and sat down. “You’re lethal Cyrene,” Corrinna said and Xena chuckled at that, “you have no idea,” Xena said. “Xena I have a lot of things to see to today so I was wondering if you could come over to the house and help me, if your mother will let you go.” Corrinna said and Cyrene grinned at her, “its fine with me,” Cyrene said and Xena nodded.

“Corrinna you know I don’t mind helping you but you really should get a healer apprentice,” Xena said with a grin and Corrinna smiled at her, “I have one,” she said and Xena looked at her. “Oh yeah? Who is it?” She asked and Corrinna looked at her, “I’m looking at her,” she said and Xena raised her head. “Me? I’m not your apprentice,” Xena said. “But you are, I’ve basically taught you everything I know about healing and considering what I know and how good you are at it I’d say you’re a great apprentice the best I’ve ever had.” Corrinna said with pride in her voice and Xena smiled at her, “if you say so,” Xena said and Cyrene grinned at them. Xena may not have been the type of daughter she had once hoped for but she was definitely a daughter that she was extremely proud of. ‘Now only if I can get her married’ Cyrene thought ‘if only I could get them all married’ she thought again as she thought about her children. She was proud of them all; her sons tending to the fields while she and Xena tended to the Inn, but none of them seemed to want to settle down.

Toris who was her oldest and he was twenty six had three girlfriends but the relationships never really lasted. She wasn’t really worried about Lyceus who was her youngest at the age of seventeen he had some time yet to find a wife though he pretty much ignored all of the village girls who swooned over him. And then there was Xena, her gorgeous daughter, but because she wasn’t like most girls and because she could beat up most men, most men didn’t want to be bothered with her and those that took a chance she politely dismissed them and when they continued to harass her should would get forceful in making her point that she wasn’t interested. Cyrene began to wonder if she would ever be a grandmother.

Continued in

Chapter Two: Ulysses’ Quest

Return to the Academy