A Different Time, A Better Time
By: ARS Williams

Disclaimer: Xena and all other characters from Xena: Warrior Princess are not mine, they don't belong to me. They belong to USA Universal Studios and all those other great people. All of the rest of the characters in this story are mine. There are also a few songs in the story, don't worry this isn't a musical. The songs aren't mine either.

Sex Warning: Yes there is some sex between a male and female as well as implications towards sex in this story. It wouldn't be a story with out a little lovemaking. <lol>

Subtext Warning: There's a little cursing but nothing to run home and tell mother about. And there is also reference to two women being together.

Chapter Six: An Old Flame and Saying Goodbye

Back in Amphipolis life was still great for Xena and Ulysses, it had now been five months since Ulysses had been there but it felt like a lifetime to them both as far as them being in love was concerned and they were still spending as much time with each other as possible. Xena was in the Inn behind the bar straightening things up when she got a surprised visitor. "Hello Xena," the voice said and Xena turned around and looked at who spoke to her, surprise in her eyes. "Maphias," Xena said and he grinned at her as he walked over to the side of the bar where there was an opening. "It's great to see you," he said as they hugged and she hugged him back, "it's good to see you too," Xena said and then she pulled back. "Wow you look amazing," Maphias said as he looked over Xena who wasn't wearing the long cloth skirt he remembered her in, but a black leather skirt that came down to her knees and a sleeveless blue shirt.

"Thanks you look great too," Xena said and she went back behind the bar and he walked back over to where he was. "So what are you doing here?" Xena asked and Maphias hunched his shoulders, "missed home I guess," he said and Xena nodded. "So things in Pella are good?" Xena asked and Maphias nodded, "yea they're great, farming is good so business is good. I have a nice house," he said and Xena nodded. "Sounds great," she said and he nodded as he looked down, "it is but um…" he said then looked at Xena who looked at him. "I wanted to apologize to you for the way I ended things," Maphias said and Xena nodded. "It's in the past but you should know Maphias I'm still the same, in fact I'm actually doing what I wanted to do." Xena said and he nodded, "you're fighting?" He asked and she grinned and nodded, "I am and I love training and life is great."

Xena said, "hey Xena where do you want this?" Ulysses asked as he held a heavy box covering his face and she turned and looked at him. "Over there in the corner," Xena said and that's way Ulysses dropped the box and let out a breath. "You're mother must think I'm a god," Ulysses said as he placed his hands on his lower back and stretched back popping things back into place. Xena grinned at him as she took his hand pulling him over to the bar, "you're probably picking things up wrong," she said as she pushed down on a few spots on his back making his back feel better. "Who knew there was a right and wrong way to pick things up?" Ulysses said then closed his eyes and moaned, "you're a goddess," he said and she smiled at him as he stood and she walked up closer to him leaning in for a kiss. "Isn't that what you said last night?" She whispered to him and he grinned at her as he placed her hair behind her ear, "mmm…I think it was," he said and she smiled as they kissed. It was a soft passionate kiss and shorter than either of them would have preferred.

When the kiss ended Xena grinned as she caressed Ulysses' cheek while looking into his eyes, "where's Gemini?" She asked knowing the wolf was always around her or Ulysses. "In the kitchen begging your mother for food," he said then grabbed his shirt from the back of the bar, "she's gonna get fat for a wolf," he said as he put his shirt on. "Oh I'm sorry," Xena said as she realized Maphias was still sitting there, "Ulysses this is Maphias, Maphias this is Ulysses," Xena said introducing them and they shook hands good naturedly. "It's nice to meet you," Ulysses said, "and you," Maphias said then looked at Ulysses and Xena. "I gotta go but I'll see you in a little while for lunch," he said just before he leaned in and kissed her softly. "It was nice meeting you Maphias," Ulysses said, "you too," Maphias said then watched as Ulysses placed a kiss on Xena's cheek and headed through the kitchen.

"So…are you and he married?" Maphias asked and Xena grinned as she looked at him, "no, why?" Xena asked as she leaned on the bar and looked at him. "Just wondering," he said and Xena looked at him and nodded, "then you're a couple?" Maphias asked and Xena nodded as she went about finishing what she was doing. "Well I better get going, I'll see you later Xena," Maphias said and Xena nodded as she watched him walk away then shook her head. When lunch came she was in the kitchen waiting on Ulysses and when he, Virgil and her brothers came in she grabbed the basket and pulled him right back out of the door. They walked to one of their spots which was on a hill where you could look down at the water giving them a nice view and on this hill was a very large tree which they sat under on a blanket or in Ulysses' case, he was lying on his side eating. "You know you shouldn't eat while lying down," Xena said and Ulysses looked at her as he sat his chicken bone down on the plate.

"Oh and eating while leaning back is better?" He asked her and she grinned as she looked at him, "well I'm eating fruit," she said and Ulysses rose up on his elbows then leaned down and kissed Xena softly. "Mmm…strawberries," he said as he chewed a piece of strawberry he took from Xena's mouth and she grinned at him. "Ulysses," Xena called, "hmmm?" He answered as he lay flat on his back relaxing, "I here Ithaca is a beautiful island," Xena said and Ulysses grinned. "It is," he said then looked at Xena. "We have a garden that's so beautiful, I know you'd love the many flowers there and the ponds and just the fact that is peaceful and quiet." He said and Xena grinned, "sounds wonderful," she said and he nodded as he lay there thinking about his home, "it is," he said and Xena nodded. "If it was so wonderful why did you leave?" Xena asked and Ulysses let out a breath as he sat up, "I was suffocating there Xena, I didn't know who I was, I knew who I was supposed to be and what was expected of me but I didn't know."

Ulysses said, "and do you know who you are now?" Xena asked and Ulysses looked at her and shook his head, "no," he said and Xena grinned at him as she caressed his cheek and he leaned into her touch. "Ulysses you are who you choose to be, if you want to be a farmer be a farmer, if you want to be a warrior be warrior. Be whatever you want to be as long as it makes you happy," Xena said and Ulysses nodded. "Sounds good," he said and Xena grinned and nodded, "now here's a piece of advice you really need to take," Xena said as she looked into the eyes of the man she loved. "Stop running," she said and he looked, "I'm not…" he started to say but Xena grinned slightly as she shook her head. "Yes you are and you need to stop, stop running from whatever it is you're running from and face it head on. Problems can never be solved by running from them." Xena said and Ulysses let out a breath as he looked away and Xena looked at him, "you say you want your father to listen to you, to take you more seriously than he has been, well in order for him to do that you have to stop running.

You have to go back to him, face him and really tell him how you feel, then tell him if things don't change you will leave for good. You might not want to hear it," Xena said as she turned his face back towards her and looked into his eyes, "you are a man, a wonderful man with a wonderful heart and it's time that you let everyone else, especially your father and the rest of your family, see that. Ulysses you have responsibilities at home and one day you're going to have to go back home and face them instead of running from them." Xena said and Ulysses nodded as he looked into her eyes, "I know I just…I'm afraid that if I go back home everything will be the same. Nothing will have changed when everything has changed, I'm afraid I'll start to feel like I'm dying again," Ulysses said and Xena looked into his eyes as she took her hand in his intertwining their fingers and brining them up to her heart as she looked into his eyes. "As long as we are together, as long as you have me I promise you, you will never know that feeling.

Sweetheart I know how you felt; alone, lost and empty," Xena said and Ulysses nodded. "I know because I felt those same things. But now that I'm with you, now that we are together and we have joined ourselves in so many ways, I no longer feel empty, lost and alone. Being with you has made me feel fuller than ever, you Ulysses, helped me find myself and when I'm with you and even when I'm not, I know I'm not alone." Xena said and Ulysses looked at her, "I feel the same," he said and she grinned as she leaned in and kissed him. "I know, I see it in your eyes," Xena said and Ulysses grinned. "Oh Ulysses I'm not trying to make you leave, I don't ever want you to leave, I just want you to see that you can't solve anything by running from it and one day its all going to catch up to you. I just want you to be ready for it," Xena said and Ulysses nodded, "you're right and thank you for you advice. I never thought about it all the way you explained it to me, I basically thought if I could get away from Ithaca then everything would be all right, even though in the back of my mind I know otherwise."

Ulysses said and Xena nodded then laughed as Ulysses pushed her down on the ground and hovered above her, "have I ever told you how much I love you?" Ulysses asked and Xena grinned as she ran her hands over Ulysses' arms, "well you did say it last night but not today," she said and Ulysses grinned and nodded. "Well I love you so much," he said then leaned down and kissed her. "Mmmm…I love you," she said and Ulysses grinned as he rested his forehead against Xena's and she smiled at him as she caressed his cheek. "So what is Maphias doing here?" Ulysses asked and Xena grinned, "why, are you jealous?" Xena asked and Ulysses huffed at that, "please, I have your heart as much as you have mine, there is no reason for me to be jealous." He said and Xena grinned at him, "is there?" He asked after a minute and Xena chuckled at him as she shook her head, "no my love, there is no reason for you to be jealous. I am yours and yours alone," Xena said as she looked into his eyes then rose up and kissed him, softly tasting his lips.

"Mmmmm," Ulysses moaned as he caressed Xena's thigh and Xena moaned as the kiss deepened. When it ended Ulysses looked into Xena's eyes, "I am so lucky to have you," Ulysses said and Xena grinned as she looked into his eyes, "as I am you," she said. They were about to kiss again when there was a pink light followed by a giggle," Ulysses rolled off of Xena and they both stood up quickly. "Whoa, chill," Aphrodite said as she looked at them both, "I see my big sis has been doing well with her chosen," the goddess said and Xena looked at her. "You're Aphrodite," Xena said and the goddess giggled as she walked up closer to Xena with a sexy walk. "The one and only gorgeous," Aphrodite said then turned and looked at Ulysses. "Not bad," she said then walked over to Ulysses getting a closer look as she looked over his body, then grabbed his arms feeling the muscles. "Not bad at all," she said and Ulysses looked at her then swallowed hard at her attractiveness and he cleared his throat as he stepped back.

She smiled at him, "loyal, a rare quality in a man when it comes to the one he loves," Aphrodite said then backed up and looked at them both. "I've come here to present you both with a gift," Aphrodite said then held out her hands and a golden box appeared. "What is it?" Ulysses asked and Aphrodite grinned at him, "it's for both of you to find out. I trust you know by now that you are meant to be together." She said and they looked at her then at each other, "we do feel it," Xena said, "a bond, that pulls us together." Ulysses finished and Aphrodite grinned at them, "you two share a very unique, very strong bond. What you feel is strong now but believe when I say it can and will get stronger," Aphrodite said then walked up close to them. "What's in this box is something that will help you two stay connected and when your bond grows to its strongest I will give you another gift." Aphrodite said then placed the box in Xena's hands and she looked at the goddess, "this is a special gift for you two only, so only you two can open this box and since you share a bond you both have to open the box together. From there you'll know what to do, believe me," Aphrodite said and they looked at her.

"Thank you," Ulysses said and she grinned at him, "you're welcome stud. Well now that that's done I have bodacious waves to catch, later," she said and they watched as she disappeared in a shower of pink sparkles and rose petals. "What do you suppose is in there?" Ulysses asked and Xena hunched her shoulders, "we'll see later. Why don't we get back to the Inn?" Xena said and Ulysses nodded and began picking up their things and they headed back to the Inn. When they got there Xena took the box up to Ulysses' room, smiling as Gemini jumped all over her and Ulysses happy to see them both. "I'll see you later," Ulysses said and Xena grinned as she grabbed his shirt while walking up closer to him and kissing him softly tasting his lips. When the kiss ended Ulysses smiled at Xena and she smiled back, "you make it so hard to leave," Ulysses said and Xena grinned. "I know," she said as she wiped below his bottom lip and he shook his head then gave her another small kiss. When the kiss ended he smiled at her as he caressed her cheek then turned and walked out of the door and Xena grinned at him, "stay," he told Gemini who looked at him then turned and headed back over to Xena and Ulysses winked at her before he left.

"It's so good to see my daughter in love," Cyrene said and Xena grinned as she sat down at the table and Cyrene walked over placing a bowl of potatoes down in front of Xena along with a knife. "It feels good," Xena said and Cyrene nodded as she sat down at the table with her own bowl of potatoes. "And you are intimate now?" Cyrene asked and Xena looked at her mother, "yes," she said and Cyrene nodded. "As long as you're okay with it and he's treating you well I don't have a problem with it Xena," her mother said and Xena nodded. "He treats me wonderful mother, he's a fantastic lover, he takes his time, explores my body and makes me feel so many things, great things that I didn't even know were possible to feel. Making love to him is…" Xena said then sat there and thought about a word and when she couldn't find one she smiled, "I can't even begin to describe how good it is." Xena said and Cyrene smiled at her daughter, "I bet you're finding you want to be with him all the time." Cyrene said and Xena smiled and nodded, "all the time. And it's not just sexually, though the gods now I want him that way all the time," Xena said and Cyrene chuckled.

"But it's more than that, I don't know how to explain it mom. It's like when I'm not with him I'm thinking about him, thinking about being with him. When I'm with him, I'm still thinking about him but when we're together there's only us. We talk, we laugh, we play and during all of that we manage to put in caresses and kisses." Xena said with a smile on her face as she peeled the potatoes then cut them into blocks. "It sounds like you think Ulysses is the one for you," Cyrene said and Xena looked at her then down at her potatoes, "I feel that we are meant to be together," Xena said and Cyrene looked at her. "But?" She asked and Xena let out a breath as she looked at her mother, "I know where he's from but he's still hiding who he is from me. And I know he's afraid of what I'll think of him but with the love we share you'd think he'd at least take the chance." Xena said and Cyrene nodded, "true but you'll come to learn that men aren't always good with their emotions. They're supposed to be strong, so they keep everything bottled up and you'll have to work to get it out of them." Cyrene said and Xena nodded, "I guess so but I just give him time, hoping he'll come to me on his own and tell me."

Xena said and Cyrene nodded and they talked a little bit more about the subject then switched to another subject. "So I hear Maphias is back in town," Cyrene said and Xena looked at her mother and nodded. "He stopped by earlier before lunch," Xena said. "And?" Cyrene asked, "and what?" Xena asked back and Cyrene looked at her daughter shaking her head. "Come on Xena what did he want?" Cyrene asked and Xena hunched her shoulders, "he apologized for the way and reason he broke up with me. He talked a little about his life in Pella and it seemed to me he was hinting around he and I getting back together but he lost the nerve to ask me once he saw Ulysses and I kiss." Xena said and Cyrene nodded, "he didn't realize he had a good thing until he lost it," Cyrene said and Xena nodded, "until he lost it and somebody else picked it up." Xena said and they both chuckled. The rest of the day passed and half an hour before dinner Ulysses and the others came in from the fields and cleaned up for dinner.

Since it wasn't crowded in the Inn yet, they ate in the dinning area at one of the back tables, Xena, Cyrene and Corrinna were bringing the food out when Xena saw that Maphias was sitting at the table talking to Toris and Virgil. "Oh hey Xena, I hope you don't mind, Toris invited me to stay for dinner," he said and she gave him a small grin. "Of course not," Xena said then headed back into the kitchen to grab a pitcher of water and one of cider, "I'm going to kill Toris," Xena said and Cyrene looked at her daughter. "Why, what has he done now?" She asked, "he invited Maphias to stay for dinner," Xena said and Cyrene shook her head, "well Xena, all you can do is deal with it and kill your brother later," she said and Xena grinned at her mother. "That's not funny," Xena said and Cyrene nodded, "I know dear, just don't beat him up too badly," her mother said and Xena chuckled then let out a breath and looked at Cyrene who was grinning. "Thanks," Xena said and Cyrene grinned, "what are mothers for?" She asked as she walked passed Xena and Xena followed out behind her.

Everyone was seated at the table by the time Cyrene and Xena walked out, Cyrene sat down while Xena placed the pitchers on the table then sat down next to Ulysses. Dinner began and there was conversation while they ate, "so Ulysses where are you from?" Maphias asked and Ulysses looked at him, "around," Ulysses said and Maphias looked at him. "You don't know where you're from or is it a secret?" He asked and Ulysses hunched his shoulders as he put some food into his mouth, "I know where I'm from, I'd just rather not say," Ulysses said and Maphias nodded. "Understandable, especially if you have a horrible past or you're running from the law," Maphias said and Ulysses chuckled at him as he took a gulp of his drink. "That's quite an imagination you have," Ulysses said. "So Ulysses what kind of work do you do?" Maphias asked, "oh he's great with his hands, does wondrous work around the Inn fixing things." Cyrene said and Maphias nodded, "is that so?" Maphias asked and Ulysses nodded.

"So you're a builder?" Maphias asked and Ulysses shook his head, "nope," he said. "He also helps us out in the fields," Lyceus said and Maphias looked at Ulysses, "so you're a farmer?" He asked and Ulysses shook his head, "so you're from a mystery place and you do nothing," Maphias said. "If you want to look at it that way," Ulysses said. "Well what why should I look at it, it seems to me you don't plan on doing much with you're life so how can you take care of Xena?" Maphias asked and Ulysses grinned, "there it is," he said and they all looked at him. "What you really want to know is, what do I have that you don't that makes Xena want me?" Ulysses said and Maphias looked at him, "basically yes." He said and Xena looked at him, "Maphias let's not go into this alright," Xena said and he looked at her. "Why not? You're afraid that you'll find out something about Ulysses you don't like?" He asked and Xena looked at him, "no but I'll tell what he has that makes me want him that you don't," Xena said and he looked at her waiting.

"He loves me for me, for who I am and who I want to be. He doesn't want me to change, he's not trying to mold me into what he believes to be a perfect woman. HE LOVES ME FOR ME," Xena said stressing those last words as she looked into Maphias' eyes. "And that was something you, or any other man in this village, could never do," she said and he looked at her. "So before you come here judging people you don't know, take a look at yourself first," Xena said then stood preparing to walk away. "Oh and if you thought that you were going to come here and we could pick up where we left off you are sadly mistaken, I am deeply in love with Ulysses and nothing or no one is ever going to change that," she said then walked into the kitchen leaving Maphias sitting there in a stunned silence. "Well…the food was great Cyrene but I think I've lost my appetite," Maphias said as he stood. "I'll see you guys later," he said then left the table and headed for the door leaving the Inn. "I'm gonna go see about Xena," Ulysses said as he stood and headed into the kitchen.

"Toris you're an idiot," Lyceus said, "I agree," Cyrene said and Toris looked at his brother and mother. "What did I do?" He asked, "why did you invite Maphias to stay for dinner when you know his history with Xena and the fact that she's moved on and found happiness?" Cyrene asked her son and he looked at her, "has she really found happiness? I mean Ulysses is a good man, don't get me wrong but Maphias has a point. What can he possible offer Xena as far as a good life when he really isn't doing anything with his life? Does he plan on working the rest of his life in the Inn basically living off of us?" Toris asked, "you know the people in this town judge too quickly," Virgil said and Cyrene and Corrinna both nodded. "You don't know what Ulysses has to offer Xena because you don't know him, but I know him and I can tell you he has a whole lot to offer your sister, more than any ordinary man could ever give her." Virgil said and with that Toris left it alone as he sat there and thought about that.

Meanwhile when Ulysses walked into the kitchen he saw Xena standing by the window looking out of it. He walked over to her placing his hand on her shoulder, "you alright?" He asked and she let out a breath and nodded, "yea, I'm sorry I blew up like that. I'm just tired of people judging me, you and situations they know absolutely nothing about," Xena said and Ulysses nodded as he wrapped one arm around her waist then leaned in and placed a kiss on her temple. "I know," he said and Xena let out a breath as she ran her hand over Ulysses' arm, "thank you by the way," Xena said. "For what?" Ulysses asked and she turned and looked into his eyes, "for loving me for me," she said and he smiled as he brought his fingers up and caressed her cheek. "You're welcome and thank you for being who you are, I like that you're not ordinary, it's what attracts me to you the most." Ulysses said and Xena grinned at him, "come on let's finish eating dinner." He said as he took her hand and she looked into his eyes as she let him pull her, "yea I guess I do need my strength," she said with a smile and he chuckled at her.

They walked out of the kitchen and sat back down at the table and they were both were happy to see that Maphias was gone. With him gone dinner was more pleasant and they all had a good time with talking and laughing. By the time they were finished, the evening crowd began to come in, so they all went about their normal routine. When it got late and people were starting to leave, Ulysses went to take a shower while Xena began to clean up. When the Inn closed, Xena took a quick shower then headed up to Ulysses' room where she found Ulysses sitting up in the bed looking at the golden box Aphrodite had given them. "You've been wondering what's in there like I have," Xena said as she locked the door then walked over to the bed and sat down. "Yea," he said, "well let's open it and see," Xena said and he looked at her then back at the box. "Okay," he said then sat the box on the bed between them. He placed his hand on the lid and she placed her hand on the lid and together they lifted it up, opening the box. They looked inside the box and there lying on a red silk pillow, was two necklaces, the necklaces looked like they were halves of a whole.

One half of the stone was blue like the color of Xena's eyes but a little darker and if you looked deep into it you could see a burning flame. The other stone was a deep red, like the color of wine and it too held a flame in the inside. "Two halves of a whole," Ulysses said as he picked them up and placed them close together seeing that they fit perfectly. "I think they represent us, the love we've found and the bond we share." Xena said as she took the red one from him and Ulysses held the other in his hands then looked at Xena, "you wear one and I wear the other," he said then reached over and placed the necklace around Xena's neck and she smiled as she pulled her hair up so that the necklace could fall. Surprisingly the stone was warm and it fell perfectly between her breasts, "it means a lot to me Xena, that I've found the person I'm meant to spend the rest of my life with. I love you so much and I swear to you and all the gods above that my heart and soul belong to you and only you and I will love you for as long as I live and even after."

Ulysses said and the gem glowed a little but they were too busy looking into each other's eyes to notice it, Xena did notice however, that she had this strong feeling of love and she recognized it, as being the love Ulysses had for her. Xena looked into Ulysses' eyes as she placed the necklace in her hands around his neck, letting it fall to his chest. "I love you so much Ulysses, I don't think you'll ever really know how much. I don't think I'll ever know how much," she said with a smile and Ulysses smiled as well. "I do know that ever since you've entered my world everything has been great, where I once thought my life was miserable, I think it's fantastic and it's all because of you, you and the love you have for me and the love I have for you. My heart and soul are yours and only yours and I swear to you and all the gods above, I will love you until my dying day and even after." Xena said then picked up Ulysses' hand intertwining their fingers, "not even death could keep us apart," Xena said and Ulysses smiled as he leaned in preparing to kiss her.

"Not even death my love," he whispered to her and then they both sealed their promises with a soft, passionate tasting of lips. Ulysses' jewel glowed as well and when the kiss ended Xena turned down the lantern on the night stand until it was completely dark in the room. She lay down in the bed on her side facing Ulysses and he scooted closer to her, "make love to me," she said as she caressed his cheek and he looked deep into her eyes. "All night," he whispered to her just before he kissed her softly but passionately. That night as they made love they had no idea they were sealing what they said in more ways than one. The love they had for each other was at its most when they made love and it was at this time that small pieces of their souls and love went into their necklaces, it was made so that whenever they were apart they would still be together in this small way, they would still feel each other and the love they had.

Ulysses and Xena were sharing a very passionate, very heated tasting of lips as he thrust into her, "Unnngh…unnngh," Xena moaned as she ran her hands all over Ulysses' back, arms and shoulders. "Ummm…un," Ulysses moaned as he continued to taste Xena's lips and while they kissed he caressed her leg bringing it up so that her thigh rested against his back and her foot on his butt. "More," Xena moaned when the kiss ended and Ulysses kissed her on her chin and he didn't question his love as he rose up more on his hands, gripping the sheets as he thrust deeper and a little faster into Xena.

"Unnnngh…aaaahhhhhh," Xena cried out as she closed her eyes tightly and her finger nails dug into Ulysses' back. He moaned into her neck and after a couple of minutes which felt like a lifetime of pleasure, she pulled him from her neck and kissed him deeply. As they kissed, they began to roll around on the bed getting more tangled in the sheet than they already were. When she was on top she rode Ulysses like no woman had ever rode him before, he let her have her fun which was his extreme pleasure, after a while he sat up and ran his hands over Xena's back as he kissed her passionately. As they kissed, his fingers caressed her body and she didn't know how he did it but he was soft and gentle in some places, making her feel so loved and in others he knew where to make his caress firmer in touch, setting her body ablaze.

When the kiss ended Xena threw her head back and moaned as he kissed and sucked on her neck while continuing to caress her while she continued to rock against him. Ulysses ran his hands from Xena's back all the way down her legs to her feet and even there he pressed down firmly on certain spots making her moan. "Don't stop," she moaned and Ulysses moaned as he kissed Xena all over, his lips, tongue and teeth having a ball as he tasted her delicious skin. After a while Ulysses surprised Xena by picking her up and laying her on her back, she smiled at him as she caressed his cheek then moaned as he kissed her passionately, so much so that she moaned as her head was pushed back into the pillow. An hour and a half passed and Xena was on her back with Ulysses between her legs, she was moaning, whimpering and every now and then crying out as he thrust passionately into her. She ran her fingers over his sweaty back digging her fingers into his flesh, causing him to moan, her legs ran up and down his legs and when she wasn't caressing his back her hands ran over his muscled arms.

She rose up once and kissed Ulysses' tattoo on his arm running her nails over it before she leaned back in and kissed and sucked on it. When she was done she kissed Ulysses passionately, "dangerously in love," he whispered to her and she grinned then moaned as they kissed again and she pulled him down on top of her. About twenty minutes passed and Xena opened her legs wider allowing Ulysses to go deeper which he did, Xena remembered crying out in extreme pleasure as her back arched off the bed. Ulysses moaned loudly as well and when Xena threw her arms up to the sides of her head he ran his hands over her arms until his fingers were intertwining with hers. He held her down and as they kissed he moved deeper, harder and a little faster. They swallowed each other's moans and soon Xena was whimpering in pleasure, when the kiss ended they were left breathless. Ulysses buried his head in Xena's neck smothering his loud moans of pleasure, "Unnng…Ulysses," Xena moaned and Ulysses moaned as he sped up a little more.

"Xena…oh Xena," Ulysses moaned and Xena moaned, loving to hear her name on his lips, especially in a moan. "It feels so good, gods," Ulysses hissed as he turned his head from side to side then groaned as he felt his release. He leaned down and kissed Xena passionately, releasing her hands so that he could caress every last part of her. She was getting closer and closer Ulysses could feel it and ten minutes later they both came at the same time. After all the shocks were gone, Ulysses lay on Xena trying to catch his breath, when he had caught his breath some, he pulled out of her and fell back onto the bed. "Gods that was absolutely amazing," Ulysses said and Xena smiled and nodded as she rolled into his arms. "Yes it was," she said and they laid there in silence for a while before they began to talk about any and everything. "You know I really like this tattoo on you, I like what it says and I think it makes you look even sexier." Xena said as she ran her fingers over it and Ulysses grinned at her, "yea I like it too," he said as he thought about it before he looked at Xena and grinned as he leaned in and kissed her softly.

When the kiss ended, they grinned at each other and leaned in a couple of more times for a few soft, brief kisses before they went back to talking. They talked for a while longer then fell asleep in each other's arms with grins on their faces and they even had grins when they woke up. When morning came, Xena got up and went to take a shower, as she stood in the stall with the hot water beating down on her, the door opened startling her and she looked at the intruder. "Mind if I join you?" Ulysses asked and she grinned at him as he walked into the stall closing the door behind him, "not at all," she said and Ulysses smiled as he ran his hands over Xena's wet, slippery soft skin.

They bathe each other and then their activities went a little further to the point Ulysses was on his knees between Xena's legs tasting all she had to offer and moaning in the process. Ulysses had placed one of Xena's legs on his shoulder and he was caressing it while Xena had one hand on the wall to steady herself and the other in Ulysses' hair holding him in that wonderful place as she threw her head back and moaned. When he was done he kissed his way up then backed her into a corner as they tasted each other's lips, when they were in the corner they continued to kiss even as Ulysses grabbed Xena's thighs and picked her up so that her legs were wide open and he was between them with her feet resting on the backs of his legs.

The kiss ended and Xena looked into Ulysses' eyes as he eased his huge cock into her, she slammed her head back on the wall as she moaned and when he was all the way in he pulled out and pushed back in developing a rhythm. There was very hot action going on in there and twenty minutes later there was a loud thud as Xena slammed her hand against the wall in pleasure. In the stall Ulysses was looking into her eyes as her hand slid away and she wrapped it around his shoulder, they were both breathing hard as they tried to catch their breaths after such hot and heavy action. They smiled at each other then chuckled before they took another bath then got out, dried off and headed to their rooms to get dressed. Another week and a half passed by and things were still as great as ever, despite the fact that Maphias said he was moving back to Amphipolis which meant Xena would be bothered with him more and more. Yes everything was going well. Xena thought life couldn't get any better than this. Then came the day however when their love would be tested, it was an hour before lunch when Gregory and the other soldiers made their way into Amphipolis and made their way to the Inn.

"Cyrene there are soldiers headed towards the Inn," Dana said as she walked into the kitchen and Cyrene looked at her, "how many?" She asked as she continued to pushed the peas out of their shell, "it looks to be about twenty maybe thirty," she said and Cyrene stopped what she was doing then stood and wiped her hands on her apron. She walked into the dinning area where Lyceus, Toris and Virgil were since they had come in early for lunch. She didn't have time to say anything when the soldiers walked into the Inn. Gregory walked in and looked around the Inn, "shit," Virgil said as he recognized the soldiers especially Gregory. "Do you know them?" Lyceus asked and Virgil looked at him then back towards Lucius as he spoke, "whose in charge around here?" Gregory asked and Cyrene stepped forward and Lyceus and Toris stood and walked over to their mother standing at her side. "This is my inn, what can I do for you?" Cyrene asked and Gregory looked at her, "we're looking for two men."

Gregory said, "their names are Ulysses and Virgil," he said and Cyrene looked at him. "If you don't mind me asking, what are you looking for them for?" She asked, "they are ordered home by the order of King Julian of Ithaca," Gregory said and Cyrene looked at them all. "Hello Gregory," Virgil said as he walked over to them and Lucius looked at him, "Lord Virgil," Gregory said, "Lord?" Toris asked but Virgil didn't really pay any attention to him, "where is Ulysses?" Gregory asked, "he's in the next town, won't be back for a week, he's doing some things for Cyrene here." Virgil said and Gregory looked at him, "then we'll just go to the town and get him," Gregory said Virgil looked at him. "What's the name of the town?" Gregory asked and Virgil looked into his eyes, "You know, I can't seem to remember," Virgil said. "Well maybe they can remember," Gregory said as he looked at Cyrene, Toris and Lyceus. "Actually can't," Lyceus said with a small apologetic grin, "yea, sorry about that," Toris said and Lucius nodded then, "is that really how it's going to be?

Am I supposed to believe that you don't know where Ulysses is? That you've forgotten?" Gregory asked and Virgil nodded, "I don't think I stuttered." Virgil said and Gregory let out a breath, "we have been searching for you guys for over four months. My patience is gone," Gregory said then signaled the men and they began to surround the Inn. "I don't want to but if I have to I will tear this Inn and this village apart until I find Ulysses." Gregory said and Virgil looked at him, "I don't think King Julian would approve," Virgil said, "King Julian has told all of who he sent to look for you Ulysses, that we are to use any means necessary to find his son," Gregory said.

Xena was in the barn brushing Argo when Ulysses came in and he brushed one side while Xena brushed the other and they talked smiling at each other and at Gemini and Argo, Argo who pushed Gemini away with her nose every time Gemini got close. After a while Ulysses sat on a bale of hay then leaned back on his elbows, watching Xena finish tending to Argo, talking to her, patting her, making sure her water was fresh and she had food, not to mention giving her treats here and there. As he watched her, he thought about how beautiful she was, how in love he was with her and how very lucky he was to have found her. His hand went up to the half circle around his heart and he grinned as he watched her smile and when he closed his eyes he could feel her love deep down into his soul. "What are you thinking about that has you grinning like that?" Xena asked snapping Ulysses out of his thoughts and he looked at her as she walked over to him, "you," Ulysses said and Xena grinned as she sat down on the bale.

"What about me?" She asked and he picked up her hand, "how in love I am with you," he said then kissed the back of her hand and she smiled at him. "The feeling is mutual," she said then leaned in and kissed him softly. "Mmmmm…can I have another one?" Ulysses asked when the kiss ended and Xena grinned as she placed her hand on Ulysses' cheek then leaned in and softly tasted his lips. "Xena," one of the villagers burst in through the door and they looked up, "what's the matter?" Xena asked. "There's a group a soldiers, about thirty in the Inn," he said and Xena and Ulysses both stood. "What do they want?" Ulysses asked and the villager hunched his shoulders, "I don't know, I didn't stick around long enough to find out," he said and they nodded as they headed for the door. "I think they're from an island," the villager said and Ulysses stopped cold once they were outside. "What makes you say that?" Ulysses asked and the villager looked at him, "I've seen those colors before on the uniforms their wearing, now if I could only remember."

He said as he stood there and thought, "their uniforms are black but their shirts are blue and their pants have gold stitching," Ulysses said. "That's it, how did you know?" He asked and Ulysses closed his eyes 'they've found me' he thought to himself. Xena looked at Ulysses as she walked up to him placing her hands on his face and he opened his eyes and looked into hers, "well I guess being this happy couldn't last forever," he said with a hint of a grin that never really made it to his face. "Those soldiers are from Ithaca and they're looking for you," Xena stated and Ulysses nodded then let out a breath as he took Xena's hand in his, "its time to face my past," he said and then they walked towards the Inn. They stood outside the door and could hear Virgil trying to lead Gregory and the other's astray. Ulysses turned and looked at Xena, he walked up close to her placing his hands on the sides of her face as he looked into her eyes. "I am truly sorry my love, for never telling you who I am, I hope you'll forgive me when you find out.

But I want you to know Xena, whatever happens, I love you," Ulysses said and Xena looked into your eyes as well. "I love you too," she said and Ulysses leaned down and kissed her deeply and passionately like it was their last kiss. Xena moaned as she ran her fingers through Ulysses' hair tasting his lips as well. When the kiss ended they leaned their forehead against each other, "time to stop running," he said and Xena grinned as she caressed his cheek then held his hands in hers. "You won't have to do it alone," she said and Ulysses nodded then let out a breath, they listened to what was being said and Ulysses and Xena walked in at Gregory's last words. "…use any means necessary to find his son," Gregory said. "And so you have found him," Ulysses said as he walked into the Inn and Xena was surprised and it showed a little, and everyone else was surprised as well. "Ulysses," Gregory said as he turned and looked at him and Ulysses walked forward as he looked at Gregory, "I know I didn't hear right Gregory. Were you planning on destroying this inn, this town?"

Ulysses asked and Gregory looked at him, "any means necessary to find you, your father said so himself." Gregory said and Ulysses nodded, "my father has never stood for hurting innocent people and I don't think he would appreciate you doing so in his name." Ulysses said and Gregory looked at him, "you're right but now that we have found you we can return to Ithaca. Your father told me to tell you hello," he said as he walked up to Ulysses looking him into his eyes. "And to give you this," Gregory said then punched Ulysses hard in his face. And of course before Gregory could blink he was punched hard and he pulled his sword on Virgil who looked at him, walking up to him so that the blade was at his chest. "How dare you hit him?" Virgil asked and Gregory looked at him, "I was doing as I was told, something you and Ulysses know nothing about. Running away from home, your family, and your responsibilities and for what, so you can run around the country side?"

Gregory said and he and Virgil started arguing back and forth, "Enough," Ulysses yelled and they both fell silent and looked at each other. Ulysses let out a breath and looked at Gregory as he pulled his sword and Gregory looked at Ulysses, "Virgil is your superior, remove your sword from his chest and I'm only going to tell you once," Ulysses said and Gregory looked at his prince seeing no hint of play but the fact that his eyes had gone cold. Gregory removed his sword and Ulysses nodded, "don't ever presume Gregory, that you know what goes on in our lives to judge us, it has been a while since you've been the friend and mentor you used to be, so what you think you know, you haven't got a clue." Ulysses said then sheathe his sword and Gregory did the same. "And never forget your place," Ulysses said as he stepped into Gregory's face and Gregory actually felt that he was in the wrong and he acknowledged the fact that Ulysses was his own man and his lord, so he looked into Ulysses' eyes with respect shinning brightly in them before he bowed his head slightly in respect. "Of course my Lord," he said and Ulysses looked at him and nodded then stepped back.

"How did you find us anyway?" Ulysses asked and Gregory looked at him, "we had a few leads but what really led us to you was a letter from Lord Virgil," Gregory said and Ulysses looked at him then at Virgil who looked back. "Tell me you didn't," Ulysses said and Virgil looked into his friend's eyes, seeing that he wanted to believe that Virgil would never do that but Virgil couldn't give Ulysses the answer he wanted. "I'm sorry Ulysses," Virgil said and Ulysses closed his eyes as he turned his head away, "look I heard news that Ithaca was having some problems with a neighboring kingdom and that there was the possibility of war." Virgil said and Ulysses just shook his head, "its true my lord, Ithaca is on the verge of war, that's why we need to return as soon as possible," Gregory said and Ulysses let out a breath then looked around the room for Xena but didn't see her, his heart sank as he let out a breath.

"We'll leave in two days," Ulysses said, "but my lord…" Gregory started to say then let out a breath as he walked up closer to Ulysses, "Ulysses, it is urgent that we return home as soon as possible," he said in a sincere tone and Ulysses nodded as he looked at Gregory. "I understand but you must also understand that I have a few things to see to here before we leave," Ulysses said and Gregory looked into his eyes. "Two days," Ulysses said and Gregory looked into his eyes and nodded. "Until then relax, I'll get you guys some rooms and don't threaten anyone," Ulysses said then headed for the kitchen. "Ulysses," Virgil called but Ulysses ignored him.

"Don't talk to me," Ulysses said as he walked into the kitchen and Virgil followed. Ulysses stopped and looked at Xena who was busying herself and Cyrene looked up as Ulysses walked into the kitchen. "Xena," Ulysses called and she shook her head, "Xena please look at me," Ulysses said and she raised her head and looked at him. He looked into her eyes seeing hurt and confusion but still he saw a large amount of love for him in her eyes. He walked over some to where she was and looked into her eyes then held his arms out straight, "this is who I am. I am the son of a King, I am a prince and will one day myself be King." Ulysses said then lowered his arms as he walked up closer to Xena.

"But that doesn't make or change how I fell about you any less," Ulysses said and Xena shook her head as she looked at him. "How can I believe you?" She asked then shook her head as tears filled her eyes and she quickly ran out of the door. "Xena," Ulysses called after Xena, "let her be," Cyrene said and Ulysses looked at her and she looked back at him but differently. She no longer looked at him like he was her son or friend all she saw now was that he was a prince and like the people of Amphipolis did she judged him. Ulysses let out a breath, "Ulysses," Virgil called and the next thing he knew he was slammed up against the wall. "Why? Why did you do this? I was happy here, I was happy with her and now it's all ruined." Ulysses said, "of all people I trusted you," he said then let Virgil go and Virgil let out a breath as he looked at Ulysses.

"I just wanted to let them know that we were okay and where they could find us if anything happened," Virgil said. "And what you didn't think they would come looking for me?" Ulysses asked, "I didn't really think about that," Virgil said and Ulysses threw his hands up in the air. "Look Ulysses, all I could think about when I heard Ithaca might be going to war, was if something happened they would need to know where you were. You are next in line and frankly I didn't want my mother and father worried to death about me and you shouldn't want your parents doing the same either." Virgil said and Ulysses looked at him, "I'm tired of worrying about how everyone else is feeling, that's all I did when I was at home, ITS WHY I LEFT," Ulysses yelled at Virgil. "If you didn't want your family to worry that's fine, then you could have went home, but to tell them where I am, knowing they would come looking for me…" Ulysses said then shook his head, "I found what I was looking for Virgil and now…" Ulysses said then shook his head, "now I've lost it," he said then looked at his friend before he looked at Cyrene. "Cyrene they're gonna need some rooms," Ulysses said, "I'll take care of it," Cyrene said.

"I was going to…" Ulysses started to say, "I'll take care of it," Cyrene said and Ulysses looked at her and let out another breath as he headed up the stairs to his room. He walked into the room slamming the door closed and then he turned around and in frustration kicked the door a couple of times. When he was done he slid down the door to the floor and just closed his eyes tightly as he ran his fingers through his hair. Xena ran down to the lake where she stood there looking out at the water then sat down and let out a breath. The water was calm as she looked out at it 'that's how I used to be and now…' Xena thought to herself then picked up a rock and threw it into the water watching ripple after ripple. 'I don't know what to do or what to believe' Xena thought to herself then felt a presence behind her. "Believe in your heart," Athena said and Xena let out a breath. "What do you want?" Xena asked and Athena looked at her as she walked up close to her, "so you're mad at me?" Athena asked, "you did this, you made it so we met each other and then we fell in love…so deep in love," Xena said as she wiped away the tear that ran down her cheek.

"And you knew, you knew all along who he was," Xena said and Athena let out a breath as she looked at her chosen. She shook her head then sat down next to Xena. She looked at Xena as she placed a lock of hair behind her ear then turned her face towards her but Xena fought her and didn't stop until Athena's hold on her face was iron clad. "I arranged nothing Xena, I just knew and was able to tell you. It was destiny that you and he would meet and that you would fall in love, you know that deep down in your heart." Athena said and Xena looked at her, "how can I love him now, I'm a peasant and he a prince?" Xena asked and Athena shook her head at Xena, "you have to have faith in your love Xena, your love for him and his for you." Athena said and Xena looked at her then let out a breath as she looked back out at the water, "tell me what to do," Xena asked because she was at a point in her life where she felt really lost. Athena grinned at her as she caressed Xena's cheek, "I can't tell you that Xena, no one can. This is a decision you and only you can make, but just sit here and think about the man you've come to know and love over these past five months.

Listen to your heart Xena," Athena said then stood, "call me if you need me," Athena said and then she was gone. Xena let out a breath then ran her hands over her face before she ran her fingers through her hair. Like Athena suggested, Xena sat there and thought about Ulysses, she thought about how they had gotten to know each other. How they fell in love and her first time, when they first made love, it was right then and there that she knew that they were meant to be together. Though she felt that, she still sat there and thought and thought until she couldn't think any more. It was hours later that she began walking back towards the Inn, when she got there Gemini met her at the door and she grinned as she picked up the cub then sat down in a chair and pet the wolf as she still thought about things. "Where's Ulysses?" Xena asked as Lyceus walked through the kitchen door from the dinning area and he looked at his sister. "Getting ready to drown his sorrows," Lyceus said then walked over and sat down next to his sister.

"I think the best thing for he and Virgil to do, is leave," Cyrene said and Lyceus shook his head, "personally Xena I think you ought to kick his ass first then kick him out." Toris said as he came down the stairs and Xena let out a breath as she leaned her head back. "You know we're doing exactly what he was afraid we were going to do, we're judging him for what he is and not who he is," Xena said and Lyceus nodded. "That's what I was getting ready to say, mother Ulysses is still that same man who basically helped rebuild this Inn. He fixed basically everything in here and didn't ask any money for it." Lyceus said and Cyrene thought about that and he turned his attention to Toris, "he and Virgil have helped us with the fields, and if it weren't for them we would never finished the fields and got the extra money we did for spring harvest." Lyceus said then turned and looked at his sister, "and he's still the same man you feel in love with." He said and Xena nodded then looked down at Gemini before she placed a kiss on her forehead.

"Go talk to him," Lyceus said as he took Gemini from Xena and Xena looked at him then let out a breath as she stood. She walked out of the kitchen and spotted Ulysses sitting at a table at the end and the guards sat at the table and another. She watched as he took a gulp of port then leaned his head forward, down onto his arms as he let out a breath, she walked over to the table and the guards looked at her. She didn't pay them any attention as she pulled a chair up to the table next to Ulysses and when she sat down, she ran her fingers through his hair. He raised his head up and looked at Xena and she looked at him, "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," he said and she brought her hand up to his eye removing the tear from the corner of his eye before it fell and anyone but her could see it. "Tell me what's in your heart," Xena said and Ulysses looked into her eyes, "I love you with all that I am and nothing will ever change that. I am a prince yes, but I still want to be with you and I want you to be with me." Ulysses said and Xena looked into his eyes as he spoke and she could tell he was speaking from his heart and that he meant what he was saying.

She took his hand and pulled him with her as she stood up, they stood close together and Xena looked into Ulysses' eyes as she caressed his cheek. "Come what may," she said and that said volumes to them both and Ulysses' closed his eyes at that, "I love you and I will always love you," Xena said and Ulysses looked at her then leaned in and kissed her softly but passionately. When the kiss ended they hugged each other both letting out breaths of relief 'you followed your heart Xena and this feels right' she thought to herself. When the hug ended they looked at each other and Ulysses grinned as he leaned his forehead against Xena's while looking into her eyes. "That's two fights our relationship has survived," Ulysses said and Xena grinned as she caressed his cheek while looking into his eyes. "Let's try not to have any more fights," Xena said with a grin and Ulysses nodded, "I agree, I don't think my heart can take any more," he said and she chuckled as she leaned in and kissed him softly on the lips. Ulysses moaned into the kiss and when it ended they smiled at each other, "here let me introduce you to the General of Ithaca's army," Ulysses said as he sat down pulling Xena down onto his lap.

"Xena this is Gregory, Gregory this is Xena my heart, my love," he said and Xena grinned as Ulysses placed a kiss on her cheek and she looked at Gregory, "it's nice to meet you," she said and Gregory nodded. "You as well and I'm sorry about earlier," he said and she nodded. "Though you might want to apologize to my mother for I'm sure almost scaring her to death," Xena said and Gregory looked at her, "I'm sorry, you're mother would be?" He asked, "the innkeeper," Xena said and Gregory nodded. After a couple of minutes Lyceus walked out of the kitchen with a cup in his hands and he walked over to Xena and Ulysses with Gemini hot on his heels. "I don't know why you guys leave this wolf with us," Lyceus said as he picked up Ulysses' mug then sat the mug with cider in it down on the table in front of Ulysses who grinned at him. "Thanks," he said and Lyceus nodded, "Xena when you have a minute mother needs your help in the kitchen," Lyceus said and Xena nodded. "I'll be there in a couple of minutes," she said as she pet Gemini who was now sitting in her lap.

Ulysses shook his head at Xena and the wolf, "you're gonna spoil her," Ulysses said and she grinned at him. "Here keep each other company until I get back," she said as she placed Gemini on Ulysses' lap and he let out a breath as he looked at the wolf then at Xena. "Why do you torture me so?" He asked as he began to pet Gemini and Xena grinned, "oh yeah, it's a real torture," she said then leaned in and kissed him softly. When the kiss ended she stood and headed into the kitchen and Ulysses watched her walk away then let out a breath as he looked down at Gemini who was lying down on his lap. "Don't get use to this," he said and she only blinked up at him with her yellow eyes. "That's a cute puppy," one of the soldiers said as he reached his hand out to pat Gemini who growled at him making him quickly pull his hand back and Ulysses smiled. "Wolf, she's a wolf," Ulysses said as he caressed Gemini's coat. The day passed by quickly, too quickly for Xena and Ulysses and when it got late, instead of Xena helping her mother close like she usually did, Cyrene told her to spend that time with Ulysses.

So she went up to Ulysses' room and looked at him as he sat on the bed just thinking, "hey," she said and he looked at her as she closed and locked the door. "Hey," he said as he continued to sit there and Xena walked over to him standing between his legs as she ran her fingers through his hair. He looked up into the eyes of the woman he loved with all his might, "Xena I'm leaving the day after tomorrow," Ulysses said and Xena looked at him as her heart racing. "Can't you stay a while longer?" She asked him and he looked into her eyes as he shook his head, "I wish I could but I can't. I should be leaving tomorrow but I wanted to spend one more day with you." He said and Xena looked down as her mind raced with her heart, "how are you gonna get home, you need a boat and…" Xena started saying but Ulysses shushed her by placing his finger against her lips. He took her hands and had her sit on his lap with her legs placed on the bed. "Xena, Gregory was in charge of one of the many groups that were sent out to find myself and Virgil.

A ship has been sailing from port to port looking for us, Gregory has sent word to that ship and to Ithaca that he has found me. That ship will probably be here sometime tomorrow," Ulysses said as he looked into her eyes and Xena looked down as she was filled with pain at the thought of him leaving so soon. "I wanted to ask you would you come with me, but I don't know what'll happen when I get home and then there's the prospect of war and I wouldn't want to put you in danger." Ulysses said and Xena looked into his eyes, "I'd go through anything with you, just to be with you," she said as she looked into his eyes while softly caressing his cheek and he looked at her as he brought his hand up and placed a lock of hair behind her ear, before he placed his hand on her cheek. "I know and so would I but my mind would be at ease knowing you were here and safe." Ulysses said and Xena let out a breath as she looked up at the ceiling, "why have I found this love, why has it been given to me only to be taken away like this?" Xena asked and Ulysses brought her head forward as he looked into her eyes, "you're not losing my love, you will never lose it.

I will and I am coming back for you, we will be together forever," he said and Xena looked into his eyes then leaned forward and kissed him softly but passionately. When the kiss ended they looked into each other's eyes, "let me make love to you," he whispered to her and Xena looked into his eyes as she ran her fingers through his hair then leaned forward and kissed him softly yet passionately. As they kissed Ulysses picked Xena up and placed her on the bed and he lay down next to her, their kiss never breaking. They slowly made love to each other, exploring each other's bodies and an hour and a half later when they were finished, Ulysses lay on his back with Xena in his arms. She ran her fingers over his chest and he ran his fingers up and down her back, they had been lying there in silence like that for twenty minutes before Xena spoke. "I'm sorry for earlier," she said and Ulysses looked down at her, "what do you mean?" He asked and Xena let out a breath as she raised her head and looked at him, "I did the one thing that you feared I would do if you told me who you really were. I judged you, we all did and with all of my heart I'm sorry for that."

Xena said and Ulysses looked into her eyes as he caressed her cheek, "you're amazing and I love you so much," Ulysses said and Xena rose up more so that she met him half way for a kiss. When the kiss ended she ran her finger over his cheek as she looked into his eyes, "will you write to me?" She asked and he grinned as he ran his fingers through her hair, "every chance I get," he said. "And you'll write to me," he said and Xena grinned, "tell me how you, Gemini and Argo are doing," Ulysses said with a smile and Xena smiled as well; Gemini raised her head as she heard her name. "Yea," she said as she chuckled and Ulysses looked at her. "Oh I'm going to miss you so much," he said as he caressed her cheek and she looked into his eyes then leaned down and kissed him softly. She meant for the kiss to be soft to say 'I'm going to miss you too' but it quickly became more as Xena deepened the kiss by plunging her tongue into Ulysses' mouth and gently exploring it which caused Ulysses moaned. "Mmmmm," he moaned as he rose up as he ran his fingers through her hair then he gently eased her onto her back and situated himself between her legs and Xena ran her hand over his arm and moaned as they began to make love once again.

When morning came Ulysses woke and looked down at Xena who was still asleep. He laid there and watched her sleep and as he did, he brought his hand up and softly caressed her cheek. She pushed into his caress but stayed asleep, Ulysses tightened his arms around Xena and just lay there thinking about everything he had been through but his love for Xena outshined everything. He placed a kiss on her forehead and she moaned as she ran her hand up his chest to the side of his head into his hair where her fingers gently ran through his hair. It amazed him how she did that since she was still asleep and he looked down at her as she continued to sleep and even though he knew it was getting late he didn't have the heart to wake her. After a while he placed another kiss on her forehead, "Xena," he called and she moaned as she pushed into him. "Xena," he called again and she moaned then opened her eyes. "It's time to get up," Ulysses said and Xena stretched then looked up at Ulysses, "good morning," he said and she looked into his as she caressed his cheek. "It will be as soon as you kiss me," she said and he grinned as he leaned down and kissed her softly and sweetly.

When the kiss ended they looked into each other's eyes, "take a shower with me," Xena said as she sat up hold the sheet to her chest and Ulysses looked at her. "Really?" He asked and she grinned at him and nodded, "that is, if you think you can handle it," she said as she put on her clothes and Ulysses got out of the bed and grabbed his pants putting them on. "Let's go," Ulysses said as he opened the door and Xena grinned as she picked up her shoes then walked out of the door followed by Gemini then Ulysses who closed the door behind him. They went down to the bathing room locking the door behind them for privacy and Xena walked over to the shower cutting the water on to a perfect temperature and then she undressed and got in. Ulysses took off his pants and got in behind Xena looking at her as she stepped into the water letting it run over her face, hair and body. He looked at her then walked up to her placing his hands on her shoulders as he leaned in and placed a kiss on the back of her neck.

Xena grinned as she let him do that for a couple of minutes before she turned around and pulled him into the water with her. He tilted his head back letting the water run over his hair, face and body and Xena grabbed some soap and ran it over Ulysses' chest. He looked down at her and she grinned as she leaned in for a kiss, she would remember this time with Ulysses in the shower. She would remember how their wet bodies felt pressed against each other, she would remember how her lips caught droplets of water off of his lips and his lips did the same to hers. They softly washed each other sharing soft caresses and kisses. Although they wanted to make love they didn't and when they were finished their shower, they got out and dried each other off. Xena went to her room with Gemini following her and she got dressed while Ulysses went to his room and did the same. Xena went up to the kitchen letting Gemini out and then she looked at her mother, "morning mom," she said as she walked over to Cyrene placing a kiss on her cheek.

"Good morning dear," Cyrene said then looked at Xena who went to work as usual but when she had things on her mind she threw herself into her work. "What's on your mind?" Cyrene asked and Xena let out a breath as she cracked eggs into a bowl, "Ulysses is leaving tomorrow," she said and Cyrene looked at her. "He's coming back for me but we don't know when and I'm going to miss him a whole lot," Xena said and Cyrene nodded. "That's understandable, why don't you help me with breakfast then spend the rest of the day with him." Cyrene suggested and Xena looked at her, "are you sure?" She asked and Cyrene nodded, "yea I am, you need to spend these last hours with the man you love doing whatever you want." Cyrene said and Xena grinned and nodded, "thanks mom, you're the best," Xena said as she walked over a placed a kiss on Cyrene's cheek and giving her a small hug and Cyrene smiled as she hugged her daughter back.

"You're the only daughter I have Xena and I want to see you happy," Cyrene said as she moved a strand of hair from Xena's face. "And at this rate, you'll be the only one giving me grandchildren," Cyrene said and Xena chuckled at her mother. "Maybe you ought to talk to your brothers," Cyrene said and Xena shook her head as she went back to do what she was doing, "I'm not getting into that, besides, they don't like it when I get in their love lives and their not really going to listen to me any way," Xena said as she prepared the eggs. "You're brothers are stubborn, I don't know where they get it from though," Cyrene said and Xena looked at her mother. "You," she said and Cyrene shook her head, "for shame Xena, I am not stubborn," she said. "Yea right," Xena said as she chuckled and they continued to talk, with Corrinna coming in and joining in on the conversation while they helped Cyrene prepare breakfast and when it was done they all sat down and ate breakfast at the table.

When they were done, Xena cleared the tables of all the dishes and when she was finished she walked back out to Ulysses, who was leaning against the bar. He looked at Xena who took his hand, "come with me," she said and he took her hand and began following her. "My Lord," Gregory called and Ulysses looked at him. "I'll be back," he said then looked at Xena who grinned at him, "maybe," he said as he followed Xena through the kitchen door. They went for a walk, then a swim where they let the sun dry their bodies as they talked, joked, laughed and played around. Xena rolled onto her side and ran her fingers over the tattoo on Ulysses' arm as she looked at him, "am I the only woman for you?"

Xena asked and Ulysses turned his head and looked at her, "the one and only," he said and Xena scooted closer so that she could run her fingers over his forehead. "Swear to me that you'll have no other besides me, that you won't get home and be reminded of what you had with all those other women." Xena said and Ulysses looked at her, "I swear to you Xena I won't ever forget what we have shared here, what you have taught me and the greatest gift you have given me. I am so deeply in love with you and nothing, NOTHING will ever change that. There is no other woman in this world for me; when I get home things may be the same but I am a totally different man.

Women may throw themselves at me when I get home but I will tell them that my heart, body and soul belong to another. If my father insists on marrying me to a princess, I won't do it and I'll tell him the same. That I Ulysses, son of Julian, is in love with Xena of Amphipolis and…" he said as he leaned in and caressed her cheek as he looked into her eyes. "And will one day make her my wife," he said and Xena smiled as she looked into Ulysses' eyes. "Really?" She asked and he nodded as he leaned in more, "really," he said then kissed her softly. "Take comfort in the fact that I have never in my life, seriously or just playing around, told a woman those words. They come from my heart Xena and I mean it," Ulysses said when the kiss ended and as Xena looked into his eyes she saw he really did mean that and all she could do was lean in and resume their kiss.

Ulysses was going to end the kiss but Xena placed her hand on his cheek and they continued to taste each other's lips. They lay there for a while and did that, then got dressed and walked hand in hand, slowly back to the Inn. That evening they had a candle light dinner by themselves just talking about any and everything. Their dinner was just ending when Gregory came up to Ulysses, "excuse the interruption," he said then looked directly at Ulysses, "the ship is here so we'll be leaving out an hour after sunrise," Gregory said and Ulysses looked at him and nodded. Gregory left and Ulysses looked at Xena who was quiet in her own thoughts as was he. When night fell they took a small walk holding hands as they talked and looked up at the stars with Gemini following them. Xena smiled as she watched the wolf pouch on anything she saw, "I think Gemini thinks she's a cat," Ulysses said and she grinned at him and then they were quiet as they continued to slowly walk.

"You won't forget me will you? You know, get back to Ithaca and find you a noblewoman or a princess instead of a village girl," Xena said and Ulysses grinned as he brought her hand up to his lips kissing the back of it. "Never my love, I'm interested in you because of the woman you are. I don't like the noblewomen and princesses for a companion, they're just…I've had enough of them." Ulysses said then stopped and looked into Xena's eyes, "the only woman I want or will ever want is you Xena, you and only you," he said then leaned in and kissed her softly. When the kiss ended they headed back towards the Inn and to Xena's room, "if you don't mind can you just hold me tonight?" Xena asked Ulysses who looked into her eyes as he caressed her cheek, "I don't mind at all." He said and so they got ready for bed and when they were in bed they took their usual positions. Xena laid on her side facing way from Ulysses and he was behind her holding her tightly and placing kisses on her arm and shoulder.

He ran his fingers through her hair inhaling her scent while she caressed his arm and they lay that way for a while and when they were both getting sleepy Ulysses lay on his back and Xena moved into his arms with her head on his shoulder. She dosed off before him and he lay there for a while thinking about how everything was going to be when he got home wondering if things would be the same. After about ten minutes he fell asleep and Gemini was on the bed at their feet. Xena woke two hours after sunrise when Gemini was licking her leg signaling Xena to put her on the floor which Xena did. Now that she was woke she couldn't get back to sleep, she was thinking of Ulysses leaving and she never thought it would hurt this much for him to go. She didn't know what she was going to do without him, he had come to mean that much to her. Xena rose up and looked down at Ulysses. 'I'm so in love with him,' Xena thought to herself as she ran her fingers over his cheek.

"I love you," Xena whispered to him and Ulysses moaned, "ummm…I love you too," he whispered back to her and Xena looked at him as she continued to run her fingers over his cheek. "I didn't mean to wake you," she said and Ulysses looked into her eyes as he ran his fingers up and down her arm. "It's alright," he said and Xena just looked into his eyes, "I can't imagine you not being here," she said. "When I think about it, I know how much I love you but it hurts that you're not going to be here," Xena said and Ulysses looked into her eyes then gently rolled her onto her back. "I know how you feel, I can't imagine being without you either," he said as he caressed her cheek. He looked into her eyes as he leaned down preparing to kiss her and he slightly pulled back to look into her eyes once more before he leaned down and kissed her softly. The kiss was a soft tasting of lips that slowly grew and as they kissed, Xena ran her hands over Ulysses' chest up to his shoulders where she pushed the shirt off of him.

Xena moaned as the kiss deepened and Ulysses settled himself between her legs; when the kiss ended they were both a little breathless as they looked into each others eyes. "Make love to me," Xena whispered and Ulysses looked at her, "only if you make love to me," he said and they grinned at each other. Xena rose up preparing to kiss Ulysses when he pulled back and she looked at him and grinned when he grinned, Ulysses leaned down and kissed Xena softly and as they kissed Ulysses lowered himself down more onto Xena. Xena moaned as she ran her fingers through his hair and they slowly made love exploring each other's bodies. An hour later Ulysses lay on top of Xena still between her legs both of their bodies covered in sweat. They had just released and Ulysses' lips were resting against Xena's lips as they both tried to catch their breaths. After a few minutes, Xena ran her fingers through Ulysses' hair and he closed his eyes as he felt her fingers caressing his sweaty back. He placed a kiss on her cheek kissing his way over to her ear, "gods I love you so much," Ulysses whispered in her ear then kissed below her ear.

Xena closed her eyes and continued to caress his back as her thighs squeezed him and her feet ran up and down the back of his legs. Ulysses kissed his way back up to Xena's lips and he looked down at his love, he brought his hand up and caressed her cheek. Xena opened her eyes and looked into the brown eyes of the man she had come to fall in love with. Ulysses brushed his lips against hers and they shared a soft kiss. When it ended, Ulysses softly kissed his way back over to Xena's ear, "can I make love to you again?" He asked her then sucked on her earlobe and Xena moaned as she arched into Ulysses' body, "yes," she moaned and Ulysses kissed her passionately. As they kissed, he gently grabbed her arms pinning them to the side of her head then pulled out and pushed back in. Xena moaned and arched into Ulysses as they kissed their fingers intertwining. Ulysses was using a deep penetrating thrust while they kissed. Ten minutes passed and when Ulysses let Xena's hands go she caressed his back then soon rolled him onto his back.

Ulysses smiled as he ran his hands over Xena's back then closed his eyes, tilted his head back and moaned when she started kissing and sucking on his neck while moving against him. They made love once more and an hour and a half later Xena was on her side the sheet covering her as she slept and Ulysses lay behind her holding her tightly as he watched her sleep. Ulysses ran his fingers softly over Xena's arm then leaned down and kissed her arm, Xena moaned but she continued to stay asleep. Ulysses watched her sleep for a while longer then fell asleep himself. It was an hour before sun rise when Ulysses woke up; he looked down at Xena who was still asleep. He placed a kiss on the back of her neck then eased himself onto his back as he stared up at the ceiling of the room. 'I'm leaving today and I wish I could stay. Maybe I should run again but what would that solve? I would just be on the run again and I would be without the love I have found' he thought to himself then looked over at Xena. 'But if I ask her she will come with me. Then that's not the kind of life I want to live with her. Go home Ulysses and face this, face your father. The sooner you do the sooner you can come back here and be with the love of your life' Ulysses thought to himself.

He lay there for a few more minutes then eased himself out of the bed; he looked over at Xena as she moved and moaned but she didn't wake up. He quietly put on his clothes then opened the door, "come on Gemini," Ulysses said softly to the wolf. Gemini trotted over jumping up and down ready to go outside. Ulysses grinned as he shook his head and walked out of the room softly closing the door. He went up to the kitchen where Cyrene was already up and cooking and he let Gemini out, "Ulysses," Cyrene called and he stopped then turned and looked at her. "Yea?" He answered and she looked at him, "I'm sorry for how I treated you when I found out who you were, I…I'm ashamed to say I questioned your motives when you gave me no reason to do so and I just became protective of Xena." Cyrene said and Ulysses looked at her, "it's alright Cyrene, I understand where you're coming from but I love Xena and I will never do anything to hurt her. Just because I'm royalty doesn't change the fact that I love her with all of my heart and soul and I think we are meant to be together.

Hopefully whatever's going on at home won't take long and I will be back for her," he said and Cyrene looked into his eyes seeing that he meant what he said and that he was deeply in love with her daughter. "Then I wish you good luck and hope you return quickly," she said and Ulysses gave her a small grin and nodded. Ulysses headed to the bathing room where he took a shower; when he was finished he headed up to his room where he picked up his bags from off of the floor sitting them on the bed and going all the way to the bottom of one to pull out a silk, blue, long sleeve shirt and a pair of black leather pants with gold stitching. Clothes he had hoped he would never wear again but in the back of his mind he knew he would. He got dressed then sat down and put his boots on and when he was done he packed up all of his things then picked up the lyre Xena had given him and he sat down on the bed and played a short tune on it as he thought about a few of the great times he and Xena had.

Back in Xena's room the sun shinned into the room onto Xena's face and she moaned as she rolled over and instinctively reached out for Ulysses. When she felt nothing but cold sheets she opened her eyes as shot up in the bed and looked around the room. Her heart started racing as she began to panic thinking Ulysses had left without telling her goodbye so she quickly got out of the bed and found some clothes to put on before she raced up the stairs. "Where's Ulysses?" Xena asked, "well good morning to you too," Cyrene said and Xena looked at her. "Mom," she said and before Cyrene could answer Ulysses walked into the kitchen with his bags in his hands and Xena looked at him. "What?" He asked as he walked over to the table to sit his bags down and Xena looked at him and shook her head. Ulysses looked at her and watched as she ran her fingers through her hair and he walked over to her, "is something wrong?" He asked and she looked at him, "I thought you had left without telling me goodbye," Xena said and Ulysses shook his head as he looked into her eyes. "I would never do that," he said and Xena nodded and just walked into Ulysses welcoming arms and she felt so comforted by them.

When the hug ended he pulled Xena over to a chair where they both sat down, "you look so different," she said as she looked at him and Ulysses looked down at himself then back up at Xena. "Yea," he said then looked at her and caressed her cheek before he placed a lock of hair behind her ear, "I have something I want to give you," he said and she looked at him and watched as he pushed a bag on the table forward. "What's in there?" Xena asked and Ulysses looked into her eyes as he took her hands in his, "money, money that I've been saving since I can't remember," he said and Xena looked at him. "I can't take that," she said and he looked at her, "why not?" He asked, "because its your money and you might need it," she said and Ulysses grinned as he shook his head. "I have lots more at home, besides I'm giving you this as a small token of my love for you. While I'm gone I want to make sure you, your mother and brothers and this Inn is well taken care of. You may fall on hard times and need this one day or may need to buy something if something should break. Anything you need to use it for you use it," he said and Xena looked at him.

"Ulysses I can't…" she started saying but Ulysses stopped her when he placed his finger on her lips. "Please, it'll make me feel better to know that you will at lease be alright as far as money is concerned." He said and Xena looked into his eyes and nodded, "alright but I'm only taking it to make you feel better," she said and he let out a breath of relief and nodded. "You're taking your lyre with you right?" Xena asked and Ulysses picked it up from the table and looked at it, "this was the best gift I have ever gotten," he said then looked at Xena. "Well you were the best gift I have ever gotten, this is just a perk that came with it," he said with a smile and Xena smiled as well. "But no, I'm not taking it, I was going to leave it here with you," he said and Xena looked at him. "I want you to take it with you Ulysses, practice a little more and write me a few songs," she said and he grinned at her and nodded. As Cyrene walked out of the back door Gemini ran in and over to Ulysses and Xena. Ulysses picked her up and held her as he scratched behind her ears and she licked him on the chin and as Xena watched them she grinned at them both.

"Stop that," he told the cub but she just continued and Ulysses smiled as he shook his head. "Now listen Gemini," he said as he held the wolf up and looked into her yellow eyes. "You watch over and protect your mother, you keep her company at all times and never leave her side," Ulysses told Gemini who seemed to look at him with some understanding in her eyes. When he was done talking to her he placed her on his lap and just rubbed her coat and she leaned into him, "you're going to spoil her," Xena said as she watched Ulysses pick up a piece of bacon off of the table and feed it to Gemini. "As her father it's my right," he said with a grin and Xena smiled at him. When she was finished, Gemini started gnawing on Ulysses' finger and he growled at her. Gemini stopped and looked at him then stood up and started growling at him and Ulysses just growled back. "Ulysses stop teasing that wolf," Cyrene said as she walked back into the kitchen and Ulysses grinned. "I'm not teasing her, I'm just making sure she remembers what she is," he said as she played with Gemini.

Xena just watched him and grinned; Virgil came down the stairs and said good morning but Ulysses ignored him still angry with him. Xena watched as Virgil looked at Ulysses then walked out of the kitchen into the dinning area, looking like he had just lost his best friend. "Hey," Xena called and Ulysses looked at her, "hmm?" He answered and she reached her hand out and caressed his cheek, "do me a favor?" She asked, "anything," he immediately answered and Xena looked at him. "Forgive Virgil and don't be angry with him. He was just doing what he thought was right, as your best friend, he was looking out for you, Ithaca and your parents. So please don't be angry with him," Xena said and Ulysses let out a breath. "I just feel like he betrayed me in some way. I mean here I am happier than I have ever been, I finally feel like my life is on track and he goes and ruins everything by telling them where we are as if he didn't know they wouldn't come for us. I feel like he's taken away what time we could have had left," Ulysses said and Xena looked at him.

"Maybe he did, maybe he didn't but don't ruin your life long friendship with Virgil, who is like a brother to you, over a couple of extra weeks you and I could have had. That's in the past, there's nothing we can do about it now but make the future better." Xena said and Ulysses looked into her eyes and grinned, "I've found me a woman with wisdom," he said and she smiled at him. "But seriously, I'll think about what you've said," Ulysses said and Xena stood and so did Ulysses who put Gemini on the floor. "That's all I can ask for," Xena said and Ulysses grinned as he stepped closer to Xena until he had her wrapped tightly in his arms as he looked into her eyes and she looked into his. "I'm going to miss you so much," Ulysses said and Xena looked at Ulysses as she caressed his cheek, "I'm going to miss you too," she said. "My lord," Gregory called from the kitchen door and Ulysses looked at him, "its time to go," he said and Ulysses nodded.

"Walk with me to the docks?" Ulysses asked as he picked up his bags and his lyre and Xena nodded; Ulysses walked out of the kitchen first and Xena was right after him but Cyrene stopped her and gave her a bag. Xena walked into the dinning area and saw Ulysses by the front door saying goodbye to some people. When everyone was ready they headed to the docks, Xena and Ulysses holding hands; and as they passed through the market people were telling Ulysses goodbye. When they got to the boat Ulysses went and brought his things down to the cabin below while Xena walked around the ship having never been on one though she admired them and always wanting to sail at sea. "We sail in five minutes," the captain yelled and Ulysses walked over to Xena taking her hand in his and they walked off of the ship down the plank until they were standing on land. Ulysses stood in front of Xena and they looked into each other's eyes as Xena looked into Ulysses' eyes she saw so much love for her in them and she felt his love, their love for each other.

She shook her head as she lowered her head, "I didn't know this would be so hard and hurt so much," Xena said and Ulysses raised her chin and looked at her to see tears had fallen from her eyes. "Tears for me?" He asked as he wiped them away, "I'm sorry, I'm usually not this emotional," Xena said and Ulysses looked into her eyes then leaned down and brushed his lips against hers. When the kiss ended they were still so close as they looked into each other's eyes while Ulysses ran his hand over the back of Xena's neck and through her hair. "Sing me my song," he whispered to her and she looked into his eyes as she began to sing the part of the song he loved the most. "And now, ain't nothing else I could need; and now, I'm singing cause you're so, so into me. I got you and we'll be making love endlessly. I'm with you and baby you're with me. So don't you worry about people hanging around they ain't bringing us down. I know you and you know me and that's all that counts; so don't you worry about people hanging around they ain't bringing us down. I know you and you know me and that's…that's why I say. No body gonna love me better I must stick with you forever, no body gonna take me higher, I must stick with you.

You know how to appreciate me I must stick with you my baby, no body gonna ever made me feel this way I must stick with you." Xena sung and Ulysses closed his eyes as he listened to her glorious voice and those wonderful words that touched more than his heart, they touched his soul. "I will forever remember those words and I want you to remember that I love you, I will always love you. My heart and soul belong to you and only you and I will…I swear to you on the love I have for you, that I will be back and we will be together." He said and Xena nodded as she held back the tears that tried to flood her eyes. "I love you too and I'll wait for you," she said and Ulysses looked into her eyes and he suddenly looked down as tears filled his eyes. "Now I'm crying," he said with a grin and Xena smiled as she wiped away the tear before she leaned in and kissed him softly and soon the kiss turned into a passionate kiss where they were wrapped in each others arms.

When the kiss ended they looked into each others eyes then Ulysses leaned in and kissed her lips softly once more before he pulled back. "Promise you'll never take this off," Xena said as she caressed Ulysses' necklace the other half of the one she wore. "As long as we wear these we will never be apart, I will always feel you and you will always feel me." Xena said and Ulysses nodded as he looked into his loves eyes, "it will never come off," he said and Xena nodded. Ulysses picked up her hand and kissed the back of it before he looked into her eyes once more then turned and headed up the plank to the ship. "Don't forget to write," Xena yelled once Ulysses was on the ship and walked over to the railing and looked at Xena, "I won't," he yelled. Xena stood there on the docks and watched the ship sail away until she could no longer see Ulysses' face and when that happened she headed back to the Inn. When she got there she headed to the kitchen to keep herself busy not really wanting to think about the face that Ulysses was gone.

On the ship Ulysses stood at the railing until he could no longer see Xena and then he let out a breath and headed below to the cabin since he wasn't on a trader's ship, he was on one of Ithaca's royal ships. He sat on the bed then lay back with his arms behind his head and he just lay there and thought about Xena until he dosed off. When he woke up he sat up in the bed then went into his bag and pulled out a piece of parchment, ink and a quill. He walked over to the desk in the cabin where he sat down and let his mind be consumed by thought of Xena and it was then that he sat there and wrote a letter to her. Half an hour letter he was still sitting there writing but thinking of what he wanted to say to her since there was so much even though he just left her a couple of hours ago. "Yea," Ulysses answered since there was a knock on the door and Virgil walked into the room with a tray in his hand, "I thought you could use something to eat since we didn't have breakfast," Virgil said and Ulysses nodded. Virgil looked at him then walked over to the bed where he sat the tray down and was about to leave when Ulysses stopped him, "have a seat Virgil."

Ulysses said and Virgil looked at him then sat down on the corner of the bed and Ulysses turned his chair and looked at Virgil. "I'm angry with you," Ulysses said and Virgil nodded, "really angry," Ulysses said. "I mean I'm so angry, I could punch you," he said and Virgil looked at him, "alright, you're angry I get the point," Virgil said. "But Xena told me not to be angry with you," he said and Virgil looked at him with surprise in his eyes. "Really? I thought she would hate me more than you, since I'm the cause of you leaving," Virgil said and Ulysses shook his head. "That's not the kind of woman she is, she said she understood why you did what you did and for the record I don't hate you, we're friends, brothers, I could never hate you." Ulysses said and Virgil looked at him and nodded, "I know and I'm sorry Ulysses but when I heard a couple of weeks back that Ithaca could be going to war with Paxos, I had to let them know where we were. So many things could happen, could go wrong and you're the heir to the throne and I wanted to let our families know we were safe."

Virgil said and Ulysses nodded as he listened to his friend, "I understand that Virgil, I just wished you would have come to me and told me those things, instead of going behind my back to send a message. Virgil you and I have to have trust, I will one day be king and you my head advisor trust, will be crucial in that relationship as well as our relationship as friends." Ulysses said as he looked at Virgil who nodded, "I just didn't think you would send a message," Virgil said and Ulysses nodded. "We probably would have argued about it but in the end I would have found a way to send them a message without letting them know where we were. I was just so happy Virgil and I wasn't ready to let that happiness go," Ulysses said and Virgil nodded. "I know and I'm very sorry," he said then let out a breath, "truth be told I…I was jealous," Virgil said and Ulysses looked at him. "Of what?" He asked, "of you and Xena. What you guys had found; I mean I found unbelievable calmness and happiness just working everyday on in the fields until I was exhausted but I was still empty and feeling alone."

Virgil said and Ulysses sort of lowered his head as he listened to his friend, "then I saw you with Xena and I saw how happy you were, how much she made you happy. She completed you I saw that and I was jealous that you were complete and I was still feeling empty. You've fallen in love, found the person you want to spend the rest of your life with and I envy that." Virgil said and Ulysses looked at him and nodded, "I understand and I'm sorry for not being a better friend Virgil." Ulysses said, "what are you talking about? You're a great friend," Virgil said and Ulysses shook his head. "You were looking for the same thing I was looking for and when I found what I was looking for I forgot all about you. I just engulfed myself in what I was feeling for and with Xena that I didn't pay attention to how you were feeling. I should have been a better friend especially for all that you've done and given up for me," Ulysses said and Virgil just looked at him. "Its okay Ulysses, believe me, if I had found what you found with Xena I would have unintentionally forgotten about you."

Virgil said with a grin, "or intentionally," he said his grin turning into a smile especially when Ulysses smiled as he pushed his friend. "But seriously Ulysses its okay I understand I really do," Virgil said and Ulysses looked into his eyes and saw that he did indeed understand and Ulysses nodded. "I'm gonna have to make it up to you though," Ulysses said. "Let's see if we can find you someone when we get home," Ulysses said and Virgil nodded. "Or at the very least get me laid, I haven't had any in months," Virgil said and Ulysses grinned at his friend. "I'm glad to say I can't say the same," Ulysses said and Virgil looked at him. "Yes well, you don't have to rub it in," Virgil said and Ulysses chuckled at his friend. Ulysses ate the lunch Virgil brought him and when he was finished they went up top where they clowned around with the crew and guards then helped the crew out. When night fell, he and Virgil shared the cabin and they lay there and talked about the old times and the women until Virgil dosed off to sleep. Ulysses lay there a while longer thinking about Xena and then he rolled onto his side facing away from Virgil and managed to dose off to sleep where he had great dreams of he and Xena.

Back at the Inn in Amphipolis, Xena helped her mother out in the kitchen intent on keeping herself busy, when she had a break she ate something then tended to Argo with Gemini trailing behind her doing as Ulysses asked. She took Argo for a ride then brought her back to the stables where she cooled her off, the brushed her down, gave her a few treats, food and water before she left. Night came all too soon and when the Inn closed and she and her mother were finished with cleaning up Xena went down to her room. She looked around the empty room so used to seeing Ulysses lying in her bed where most of the time he waited for her and on those rare times when he was asleep she knew it was because it had been a long, hard day. Xena let out a breath as she picked Gemini up, "I guess it's just you and me for a while Gemini," Xena said as she rubbed the cub and Gemini looked at her sensing the sorrow in her mistress she cuddled into her and Xena grinned.

Xena sat down on the bed placing Gemini down on it then Xena thought she ought to get ready for bed. She took off her boots placing them to the side then stood and walked over to her dresser where she opened the first drawer and was about to pull out a shift when she spotted one of Ulysses' shirts laying across the chair in her room. She closed the drawer and walked over to the chair where she picked the shirt up, it was the blue sleeveless shirt that she had bought for him because the fabric was so soft. He often wore the shirt when they were just lounging around, Xena brought the shirt up to her nose where she closed her eyes and inhaled his scent and it took her back to a sunny day where they were lying under a tree after a picnic. The wind was blowing and she and Ulysses were talking and he was making her laugh, she lay on his chest and she leaned into him often as she laughed. 'That was a great day' Xena thought to herself as she opened her eyes, she took off her dress and put on his shirt feeling in some way that he was surrounding her, holding her.

She turned down all of the lanterns then got into bed and under the covers. She looked over at the pillow Ulysses usually lay on and she just reached out to it. Gemini cuddled up to Xena by her stomach and they both let out breaths before they fell into Morpheus' arms. A week passed and Xena threw herself into her work at the Inn and her training with Athena, anything to help her keep her mind off of how much she missed Ulysses and how lonely she was and how much she hurt without him.

Continued In
Chapter Seven: Facing the Past

Return to the Academy