Chapter XIV

 

Judith climbed into bed alongside Leigh, who was curled up wearing only an old t-shirt and her panties. She was facing away from her.

The bedroom was dark and quiet and held a note of familiarity that Leigh found soothing. Maybe she’d find the restful sleep here that had eluded her for so many weeks.

Judith kissed the back of Leigh’s neck tenderly. The blonde stiffened slightly in reaction, but didn’t move to stop her. "I like your hair like this." Leigh had cut it short the month prior. "It gives me easier access to your neck."

"Uh … thanks. It was … it was bothering me before, I guess."

"You can relax, Leigh," Judith whispered, spooning her body to Leigh’s. She drew her hand down the soft skin of Leigh’s thigh, her body easily remembering the many nights of unabashed pleasure they’d shared. She was hard pressed not to moan out loud. "I’ve missed you … missed this."

Leigh didn’t know what to say. She closed her eyes when Judith’s touch drifted across her belly and pushed up her shirt. She hesitated for a split second, then shifted slightly so her shirt could be pulled over her head. Leigh gasped a little when Judith’s warm hands replaced the cotton and continued their lazy stroking.

"I’m not going to hurt you."

Leigh swallowed. "I know." But her muscles were so taut the waitress figured she could bounce a quarter off her ass with little effort. With a light groan, Leigh turned over onto her back, allowing the sheet to pool around her waist.

Judith leaned forward and kissed Leigh lightly on the lips. The kiss was returned and she deepened it, the taste of Leigh’s mouth ringing familiar chords within her. But something felt different. She pulled back, nipping Leigh’s lower lip as she moved away. Leigh’s eyes met hers and in an instant a bone-deep understanding flashed between them.

Judith sighed. Her luck was never going to change when it came to this particular trucker. She would never be hers and Judith knew it. For a moment she gave serious consideration to kicking Leigh out of her bed and life for good. But this time Judith didn’t want to be left with nothing. Beneath Tom Cat’s exterior was a woman she genuinely liked and wanted to get to know better. Tonight she wanted to get to know her breasts better. But she would live with just being friends. "Wanna tell me about it?"

"What?"

"Don’t screw with me, Leigh. I’m horny as hell and that’s just one step from homicidal. So I repeat, wanna tell me about it?"

Leigh sighed. "No."

"Liar."

Despite herself, Leigh chuckled. "How’d you get so smart all of the a? sudden?"

"All of the a sudden?" Judith laid her head on her shoulder.

"Smartass."

Judith took Leigh’s hands in hers. "So tell about who finally broke your heart."

Leigh’s pale blue eyes widened. "Damn. Could you always read minds too?"

"Of course. I’m a fabulous catch. You were always just too busy leaving me to notice."

Judith felt Leigh draw in a deep breath as it moved her body right along with it.

"Jesus, Judith. I’m so sorry," Leigh said honestly, her voice barely audible.

"Me too. So talk." Judith’s arms tightened around Leigh as the blonde began her story with that first night she accidentally stumbled upon a diner in the mist.

They talked until the moon hung low in the sky.

"Wow" was all Judith could think to say. Leigh had long since rolled over on her side and the waitress hugged her tightly to her. "That’s the most horrible story I’ve ever heard." She sniffed back her own tears.

Leigh nodded, the large lump in her throat making further speech impossible.

"When are you going back to her?" Judith asked, her warm breath tickling the back of Leigh’s neck.

Leigh rolled her eyes. She hadn’t made her final decision until that very moment. Judith knew her far too well. "Tomorrow."

"I can’t believe I’m saying this, but good luck."

Leigh took Judith’s hand in hers and squeezed it gently. "Thank you."

The first rays of the morning sun and Leigh’s nearly incoherent mumble finally broke the dark, silent moments that had stretched out between them. "Judith?"

Judith blinked dazedly. "Hmm?"

"Sometimes love …" A long pause. "Som … sometimes love … it fucking sucks."

Judith rolled her eyes, then gazed fondly at her already slumbering friend. She sighed. "Tell me about it, Leigh."

***

 

RJ stood back and appraised her truck. She sighed and shook her head when a large glop of mud fell off the mangled bumper. After she had sobered up, she, Liam, and Patrick had managed to tow it out of the pond. It was then RJ realized that things had to change.

"It’s not that bad." Patrick tried to sound optimistic as he peered into the water-damaged interior. He opened the door and a surge of water poured over his shoes. A hapless fish flopped out and dropped dead on his toe. "Eww." He kicked it away.

"Yeah. Yeah. It’s going to take a long time to fix her back up." RJ dropped down onto the grass and pulled her cigarettes from her pocket. "I’m not sure I even want to."

"You have to. She was one of the sweetest trucks in Glory." Patrick joined his sister, taking one of her smokes for himself.

"Was being the operative word," RJ said glumly.

"What do you want, RJ?"

"I want Leigh."

"That’s not what I meant."

RJ closed her eyes and leaned back, using her hand to brace her. "I know."

Patrick lit his own cigarette and turned his head to blow out the smoke. "It’s bad to want something you can’t have."

RJ exhaled calmly. "And Confucius say kiss my arse! Since when are my brothers philosophers and head shrinkers? I’ll go to Pete if I want a bunch of annoying advice."

Patrick furrowed his brow. "Confucius?"

RJ dropped onto her back, moaning. "Mary, sweet Mother of Jesus, please help me not to drown my brother in that lovely pond," she gestured over her shoulder.

"Hey," Patrick protested, "you brought it up."

RJ shook her head. "That I did." Her eyes took on a determined glint. "Besides, I’m not so sure I can’t have what I want." She crossed her legs at the ankles. "I’m going to ask to leave Glory."

Patrick’s and Liam’s jaws both dropped. "You’re joking, right? You know Mother already tried–"

She waved him off. "That was Mother." Her voice dropped to its lowest register. "Not me. I’m going to ask." She plucked her cigarette from her lips and held it between two fingers. "I’m not happy here anymore, Patrick." Her eyes went a little unfocused. "I’m not sure I ever really was. My time with Leigh made me understand what I’ve been. There’s no going back now. Not for me."

"RJ –"

"I know it sounds strange, but I really think that we were meant to be together. I’m going to find a way to make it happen."

The two men exchanged knowing looks. "You’re going to get your heart broken all over again. What if you’re told no again?"

"I won’t be told no. I love her and I’ll follow her to the ends of the earth if I must." Her voice was growing stronger and more confident with every word. "I’m going to get out of Glory. I’m going to find her, drop to my knees and beg her forgiveness, and, God willing, I’m going to spend the rest of my days with her."

Patrick regarded his sister carefully for a moment. She’d always had an eye for the ladies. But this was obviously different. "It’s true love, is it." It wasn’t a question.

"Absolutely." She nodded. "I’ve spent the last few months trying to forget and trying to convince myself otherwise, but it can’t be done. I’ve tried to play by the rules and forget what I shouldn’t crave. But I can’t! She has my heart, boys. And it’s time she knew that."

"Then I wish you all the luck in the world," Patrick said seriously.

"You’re going to need it," Liam warned.

Patrick flicked his cigarette at his brother. "Be quiet, shit for brains. She’s made up her mind. Have you ever known her not to get her way eventually once that’s happened?"

Liam happily picked up the cigarette and took a long drag. "No," he admitted finally. "I guess I haven’t."

Patrick looked smug. "If she means that much to RJ, then they should be together."

"And we will be," RJ said firmly. "We will."

***

 

The rain came down in steady, endless sheets as Leigh’s truck speed toward Fitz’s diner. The rhythmic swaying of the windshield wipers were only making it harder for Leigh to stay awake.

After a few hours of the most restful sleep she’d had in months, Leigh had kissed Judith on her cheek and said her goodbyes. Properly this time. She’d said she’d stop by again sometime, for a burger and some conversation. And Judith had nodded; though in her heart she didn’t think she’d be seeing this particular woman again, she had long ago learned to never say never.

That morning seemed far away to Leigh as she slowed her rig for a slow-moving car. She felt drained, but hopeful. Hopeful that she could talk RJ into giving them another chance, hopeful that her destiny was in her own hands and not someone else’s.

Leigh had replayed their last moments together endlessly since she’d driven away from the diner. At first, she couldn’t see beyond her own anger and pain. But last night as she told Judith what had happened, for the first time, she could look beyond her own emotions and focus on RJ. Not only on the words that had broken her heart. But on the taller woman’s face. On her eyes. On the slight quiver of her chin and the way she ducked her head as she spoke. These were all clues that helped her wade through her confusion and resentment. She hadn’t read RJ wrong. The woman was in love with her. Leigh could see it in those soulful green eyes, feel it whenever they touched. Now all she had to do was make RJ see it too. Nothing was going to stop her.

In her lap sat the small black bear. She lifted it to her lips and kissed it softly as her eyes grew impossibly heavy. The turnoff for the diner and Glory are around here somewhere. She yawned. I know it. Her thoughts began to drift to RJ and finding her. And her eyelids fluttered shut.

Then she was floating and dreaming.

***

 

Leigh trudged up a small hill, running her palms along the tops of the tall, wet grass as she walked. The sun was shining and a cool breeze gently washed over her. Every step was hard, but she knew down deep inside that if she could just make it over the hill …

At the top, she shielded her eyes from the sun with the back of her hand and peered down the other side. It was the edge of a town, quaint and clean. "Glory," she said excitedly. "It has to be."

In a far-off way she realized she was dreaming, that none of this was real. But she didn’t care. It simply didn’t matter as she ran as fast as she could down the long, gradually flattening terrain, teddy bear clutched tightly in her hand. The air smelled like summer blossoms and the wind was at her back, pushing her toward her destination.

Finally, panting, she stepped onto the damp sidewalk and slowed her pace. Spinning in a circle she looked around at the neat rows of houses and lush trees that lined both sides of the street. She could hear the faint music of an ice cream truck and the sound of children laughing and Leigh laughed. It’s a Stepford town, she thought wryly, deciding instantly that she really didn’t mind.

A tiny weathered-looking woman approached her, shuffling along in the opposite direction. "Well," Mrs. Amos stopped and smiled at Leigh. "It’s about time you got here."

Leigh blinked. "What do you–"

"Never mind, dear." Mrs. Amos patted her arm gently. "You’re here now and that’s all that matters."

Leigh shook her head a little. "Is … is this Glory?"

"Of course. And we had all our potholes filled last spring," she finished proudly. In her estimation it never hurt to show off that little fact.

Leigh stared at the woman. "Uh … okay. Glad to hear it. By any chance you don’t know a –"

"She’ll be in the park about now. I’m certain." Mrs. Amos extended her arm and pointed a gnarled finger in the direction Leigh had been heading. "It’s in the very center of town. You can’t miss it. There’s a lovely fountain right in the middle." She gave Leigh a little shove. "Go on now. I can’t stand the thought of her moping another second. It’s only a block or so away."

Leigh grinned and took off running. When she rounded the corner she could see RJ and Pete sitting on a shaded bench, talking. She froze, suddenly unsure of what she was going to say. Thankfully, she was spared too long to worry over it because as soon as she came into view, RJ’s head snapped up and their eyes locked. RJ shot to her feet and she could see her gesture wildly and say something nasty to Pete, who flinched.

"Okay." Leigh licked her lips nervously. "Now or never." As fast as her feet would carry her, she closed the remaining distance between them.

RJ opened her arms and Leigh flew into them, her impact knocking the taller woman back into the damp grass. Each woman’s lips frantically sought the other’s and they kissed deeply.

"Leigh," RJ breathed, backing away just enough to kiss the trucker’s chin and cheeks. "What are you doing here, lass? God, you can’t be here." She was shaking. "You can’t."

Leigh kissed her again. "I am here. And I’m not going anywhere." The bear fell forgotten on the soft grass alongside RJ, and she pinned the larger woman with strong arms. "Get used to it, RJ. You’re stuck with me."

RJ shook her head wildly. "Dammit! No!" She pried Leigh’s hands from her shirt and jumped to her feet to square off against Pete, who was trying his best to blend in with the background. "What the hell is this, Pete! She does not belong here." The words were nearly spat, and Pete couldn’t help but back off a step.

"I belong with you," Leigh protested.

RJ grabbed Leigh’s shoulders and gave them a desperate shake. "You don’t understand! You don’t know what you’re saying."

Leigh’s eyes flashed. "I do know."

"RJ," Pete held both hands up in surrender. "She does belong here. She’s right. You’re meant to be together.

RJ advanced a step, her eyes daring Pete to retreat another inch. "Not like this. She’s got a lifetime to live. No, Peter. You can undo this. You fix this!" she shouted.

Leigh’s head was snapping back and forth between them. Why should Pete care one way or the other?

"There’s nothing to fix," Pete said firmly.

RJ closed her eyes and tilted her head back as she growled out in frustration.

Leigh’s gentle touch on her face drew her attention downward. "I don’t understand," she said honestly. "I know you love me. Why won’t you let us be together?"

RJ’s heart clenched at the words. "You don’t truly understand, Leigh. Or you wouldn’t be here."

"But I want us to be together." Leigh stamped her foot furiously. "Why is that so hard to understand?"

RJ pulled her close. "You have to go back."

"She can’t," Pete interrupted. His eyes softened as he spoke to his old friend. Flea, who had been watching the scene from her lounging spot under the large oak tree, jumped up onto Peter’s shoulder and rubbed her face against his cheek. "She’s been on the road to Glory for a while now, Fitz." He spread his hands out in entreaty. "Now is the right time, for you both. Accept it."

"I won’t!"

"You don’t have a choice."

RJ shot Pete an evil look and focused her attention on Leigh. "Lass, you need to listen to me. And listen good." She cupped her cheek, stroking Leigh’s cheekbones with her thumbs. She looked tired and thin, and RJ ached for the pain they’d both already endured. "You can’t be with me. You’d have to give up too much."

"I’ll give up anything," came the immediate answer.

"Your friends? Your job? Your whole life?"

"Yes." Her voice was resolute.

"You can’t! We cannot be together." RJ felt tears well up in her eyes. "Not in this place. Not now."

"But why?"

RJ pressed two fingers against Leigh’s lips to quiet her. "Because it’s not your time. This place is beyond the life you know. Beyond everything you know."

"I can do Mayberry!" Leigh protested.

"Why does everyone keep calling it that?" Pete whispered to Flea.

The cat meowed grumpily.

RJ let out a frustrated breath. But when she opened her mouth speak, it was Pete’s stern words that broke the silence.

"Ask her, RJ."


"Damn you, Peter. Don’t you say that! I don’t have to do that yet. She’s not ready."

Pete smiled sadly. Why did Fitz always have to be such a pain in the ass? "Ask her," he repeated patiently.

"You don’t need to ask me anything," Leigh broke in. "I need to stay here. I need to be with you. I don’t have a life on the road. I want you to be my family. Families should be together."

Hot tears spilled down RJ’s cheeks, and Leigh reached up and tenderly wiped them away. She bent over and retrieved the bear, pressing it into RJ’s hands. "You’re my heart’s desire, RJ. I love you and we were meant to be together. No matter what."

The words were still hanging when Leigh gasped and clutched her chest. Her legs felt wobbly, and it suddenly seemed as though she couldn’t breathe.

RJ wrapped long arms tightly around Leigh, and the younger woman buried her face against RJ’s chest.

"Hang on, lass." She squeezed Leigh as close to her as she could, melding their bodies together and feeling Leigh’s pounding heartbeat begin to fade …

***

"C’mon! Hurry."

"Done." The fireman lifted his welder’s mask as he moved out of the way and a young paramedic scooted around him, dropping herself into Leigh’s partially crushed cab. The rain cooled his sweaty skin and after a moment he called down to the woman. "Is she alive?" He glanced past the milling fire, police and ambulance crew at the highway.

"Barely."

Tossing his wet mask aside, he peered down past the deflated airbag and the twisted pieces of metal. He spoke conversationally as the paramedic worked frantically. There was only room for one in the cab with Leigh so there was nothing he could do. "No skid marks. She didn’t touch the brakes. Booze, do you think?"

"Doubtful," the woman answered as she fumbled for a chest tube in her bag. "Last trucker I worked on like this had me sitting on a mountain of beer cans. She probably just fell asleep."

"Little thing for such a big rig." He squinted and imagined her face without the blood. "Young and pretty too." He shook his head. "Damn shame." There was no answer but he didn’t take offense. The paramedic was focusing on her patient.

"Shit. She’s coding." The woman reached around the mangled steering wheel and pressed harder into Leigh’s throat, trying to find a pulse. "We’ve got to get her out of here now!"


Two other men joined the fireman at her words. "Paddles?"

"I can’t." She tossed her bag straight up and it was plucked out the air by one of the waiting fireman. "Can’t get the right angle. Now, Steve." Her voice had a renewed urgency. "Or it’s not going to matter."

***

 

"That’s it," RJ continued to hang onto Leigh, supporting nearly all of her weight. "It’s almost over, love."

Leigh suddenly gasped. Her eyes popped open as cool, clean air tinged with the scent of her lover’s skin filled her senses and the pressure on her chest began to ease. "RJ?" she questioned weakly, trying to put some weight back on her own two feet.

"I’m here. Relax against me." A small smile touched her lips when Leigh instantly did just that.

"What –" she paused and swallowed, slowly pushing away from RJ’s protective arms. "What happened?" Leigh looked around with wide eyes. Her senses all seemed magnified, and she could feel the breeze caress the downy hair that covered her skin. Then she glanced up into eyes that had always called to her and fell all over again into their endless affection and warm devotion.

RJ thought for a moment about how to say this and then decided to simply be blunt. If ever there was a woman who appreciated blunt, it was Leigh Matthews. "You died."

Leigh’s eyes widened and her mouth formed a tiny ‘O.’

RJ reached out to steady her, but she didn’t falter.

Finally, Leigh muttered, "Wow."

Leigh ran a hand through her hair. "Oh, man. Oh, man. Are you sure I’m not just insane? I’m not going to wake up hungover someplace?"

"No, darlin’. You’re really here." RJ’s gaze slid sideways to Pete. She saw the question in his eyes and nodded quietly. It wasn’t what she wanted for Leigh. But there was no way on earth she was going to give her back now.

Pete smiled and reached up to pet Flea, grateful that he wasn’t going to have to find a new place to live. RJ was not the sort of person you wanted pissed off at you for an eternity.

The pilot let Leigh have a moment to at least scratch the surface of a process that would take a while, knowing she’d have a million and one questions but hoping to convey the most important stuff first. She had half-expected Leigh to freak out. That hadn’t exactly happened yet, and somehow RJ found that infinitely scarier. "Are you all right?"

"I … um …" Leigh took stock of her body. She felt lighter and stronger than ever, though a quick look at her body confirmed that she now had back the weight she’d lost over the past three months. A bird flew overhead and his call sounded sweet and pristine. It was as though she had been viewing the world through a light fog and now the fog was simply gone. Every last bit of her, at least physically, felt fabulous. "Yeah. I don’t know how that’s possible. She pinched herself. "Ouch."

RJ laughed. Everyone did that.

"I feel great," Leigh said in amazement. She reached out and laid her palms against RJ’s chest. She felt a heartbeat and her chest’s steady rise and fall. Then she removed one hand and placed it against her own chest and frowned. "My heart is beating? But I’m still dead?"

"Yes. And you eat and sleep and do all those things you did before. Only you’re not quite so ruled by your physical self. I’ll explain it all.

"And you’re dead too?"

RJ nodded and let out a slow breath. "For sixty years now. Though I was allowed a second chance at life with you when we went our trip. When you dropped me back at the diner our time together was finished, Leigh. I swear, I didn’t want to leave you. But I had no choice."

Leigh put her hands on her hips. "So that’s why you dumped me like yesterday’s trash? Because you were some sort of ghost?"

"I am no such thing." RJ looked aghast. "And just remember, whatever it is I am, you are too." Her face went serious. "I did what I thought would give you a life, Leigh. Because I love you. And for no other reason."

Leigh’s eyes narrowed. She reached out and grabbed and handful of RJ’s shirt, pulling them nose to nose. "We’ve got a lot to talk about. But this very second there is only question I have."

"Yes?" RJ asked reluctantly.

"Are we in this …" She gestured broadly. "Whatever you call it. Life or next life ... together?"

"Forever."

"Promise?"


"That’s two questions."

"Shut up."

"Gladly." RJ pulled Leigh into a crushing embrace and occupied her mouth with something far more pleasurable than talking.

Leigh moaned her approval at RJ’s choice and hoped it was one her lover would make for lifetimes to come.

Pete sighed. It wasn’t unmanly to shed a tear for true love, was it?

Flea jumped off his shoulder, and they both began strolling toward Pete’s car. Over their shoulders they heard Leigh exclaim delightedly, "I knew I could never love anyone who owned a piece of shit!"

Pete laughed. "I guess she finally got a glimpse of RJ’s truck in all its glory."

Flea padded along quietly, ignoring Pete and already thinking ahead to the next glorious time she could finagle two more squirrels into Glory.

"Maybe we should change the name." Pete opened the door and Flea jumped in, taking her customary spot on the dashboard.

She looked at Pete.

The big man rolled his eyes. "But everyone already calls it Mayberry! Why fight it? And no, I will not submit the request to you in triplicate. I don’t care what you say."

Flea licked her paw with an air of boredom and superiority that could only be possessed by a cat.

"Fine," Pete huffed. "But don’t blame me if you drown under a mound of paper work."

Flea closed her eyes for a short nap. They were serving liver at the diner tonight, and she wanted to be rested and ready when it came time to chow down. She had her priorities.

"And another thing …"

If Pete didn’t stop droning on and on and on, Flea was going to be forced to do something drastic. The last time that had happened the world ended up with the platypus. And that was before she’d really gotten creative and learned what antifreeze could do.

***

"So this is your brilliant plan?"

"We’re not currently being digested by Flea, are we?"

"No," the male groused. "I suppose not."

The male and female squirrels scampered across the hot roof of the garage that sat next to Fitz’s diner, heading for the forgotten hammer they’d seen from their nest. "The human female should really be more careful. Leaving a heavy object on a slanted roof could be dangerous."

"For our sake, you’d better hope so." The female plopped herself down next to the hammer, breathing heavily. "Okay, do I need to repeat myself?"

"No! I started paying attention after the fourth time you went over your instructions." He puffed out his chest. "I can handle this. No problem."

The female’s blood went cold at his words.

"Really," he insisted.

"Uh huh."

"Really!"

"Fine." She moved away from the hammer. "Hang your head over the edge and see if she’s still sleeping down there."

Her mate peered warily over the edge of the tall roof. "Yup. The fat cat is lying there sound asleep." He laughed gleefully. She was about to meet her maker.

The female shrugged. "So, push the hammer over the edge and squish her."

"It’s a brilliant plan."

She beamed. "I know." I knew there was a reason I married him.

The male spit on his hands and began to push.

The hammer didn’t move.

He gave it a withering glare and then threw his scrawny back into it, grunting loudly. "I…" Grunt. "Can’t… move." Grunt. Grunt. "Move it."

"I can see that."

He stood up, sweat pouring off his furry brow. "Help me! I need your bulk."

"Ooooo, that sounds so sexy!"

He winked charmingly. "Later. After the felinocide."

The female began to push on the hammer along with her mate and little by little the heavy tool moved closer to the edge. Where it stopped.

The male burst into tears. "Why can’t any of our plans succeed? It’s not fair!"

The female uncharacteristically joined her mate and burst into tears too. How much could one rodent be expected to handle? "I don’t know!" she sobbed. "But let’s try one more time."

They both began to push with all their might, and magically, somehow, the hammer began to move. Unfortunately, so did Flea. At the last second the female tried to stop the hammer and change its trajectory. But she lost her balance and stood helplessly, teetering on the very edge of the roof.

"Help! Help!"

For a long moment her mate was paralyzed by fear. Okay, he was really deciding whether or not to give her a good shove. But figuring that it wouldn’t get rid of her permanently, he decided to save her. Sadly, he tripped along the way. The male fell straight forward and slammed into his mate, sending them both off of the roof and careening toward the ground at frightening speed.

"AHH!!" the tangled Ball O’Squirrel screamed.

***

 

"AHH!!" Randi sat bolt upright in bed, sweat dripping liberally from her face and neck. Panting and wide-eyed, she flicked her gaze around the shadow-filled bedroom.

Mac threw her hand across Randi’s lap. "Go back to sleep," she slurred tiredly, never bothering to open her eyes.

"I can’t." Her chest was heaving. "God, I … it was the most fantastic dream."


"That’s nice," Mac answered into her pillow.

"You were in it, but your eyes were the wrong color and you were a truck driver with a naked woman on the side of your truck." Randi looked down at her naked lover. "She was hot, by the way."

Mac only grunted.

"And I was a handyman in heaven or some other screwed up place where you go when you die." She made a face. That part had never been very clear. How pathetic. "And the squirrels from the park, the ones who spy on us, they were there too."

Mac lifted her head tiredly. Her hair was plastered to the side of her face, and she opened one eye to stare at Randi. "I told you to stop going to that park and talking to them. It’s creepy."

"It is not."

A pale eyebrow lifted.

"Okay, it is. But I swear they’re talking about us. I just know it."

Mac’s head flopped back down. "They’re rodents, Randi. They can’t talk."

"That’s what you think."

"Yes," she pushed herself up again and kissed Randi gently on the lips, smiling at the sweet contact. "That’s what I think. I also think that I’m going back to sleep and that you should too." She sighed. No more burritos before bed for her.

Randi looked annoyed but didn’t have a real reason to argue. It was the middle of the night. "Okay. Good night, stalker."

"Don’t call me that," Mac mumbled softly.

Randi straightened their covers and glared at the fat, black cat with golden eyes that was lying at the foot of their bed. She sneered. "I hate you."

The cat purred happily.

"I don’t care if Mac did run you down with that godawful Volkswagen of hers," she grumbled petulantly. "You’re going to the pound tomorrow."

"Stop lying to the cat," Mac interrupted unexpectedly. "She knows it was you that hit her. Not me. And she’s staying until she’s healed. Go to sleep."

"Fine." Randi lay back down and pulled the sheet up to her neck. She glared at the feline. "Stop mocking me!"

"Randi," Mac warned.

"Okay. Okay. If she has to stay at least we can give her a name."

"I already did that this afternoon while you were calling all the shelters and cursing them out for not taking injured cats."

"Well, what is it?"

Mac rolled over and fluffed her pillow before closing her eyes again and groaning inwardly. She had to work the next morning. "Flea."

"AHH!!"

Unseen in the darkness, Flea just grinned.

 

THE END.

Back to the Academy