When I decided to start writing and posting my stories on the internet, it started me on a journey that I couldn't begin to imagine. Since 2001 I've answered quite a bit of mail on my work and have made more than a few friends along the way. Though I started with the Nile Series with Ramses and Sarah, "Play It Again Sam" was a work of love that came to me in the strangest of places.

So instead of reading the story you clicked on to read, I'll instead tell you the story of why and how "Sam" came to me. Ten years ago, my partner was diagnosed with cancer. For anyone who's gone through that process from beginning to end, you know what a life changing experience it can be. First came the surgery, then the realization of what was happening to her. It came about two days after the operation at about three o'clock in the morning when we were talking because we both couldn't sleep. A week after that, the oncologist told us it would be a year of treatment then a wait and see game. You get to wait and see if it comes back in case you were wondering.

About a year after the treatment ended, we went to a Billy Joel concert and at one point as we were on our feet dancing, I looked at her and it was like someone handed me a gift. It was a gift I shared with all of you entitled "Play It Again Sam." When my girl read it for the first time, or should I say listened to it since I was doing all the reading to her, her first comment was "You killed me?"

Cancer took from me the girl I knew, and after the treatment I got a girl who knows how to enjoy the hell out of life. Our days are gifts, each and every one, so we look at them now in a new light, because like Poppy Valente, I want to reach the end of my road having not wasted a one.

"Sam" will now be published by Bold Stroke Books in the summer of 2006 under the title "Carly's Sound." I hope you like the book and have enjoyed the online version. If you have any questions please drop me a note at terrali20@yahoo.com.

Thank you,

Ali


Return to Main Page