Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“The Reckoning ”

Episode 10

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


TEASER

FADE IN:

EXT. POTIDAEA – VILLAGE – 3 YEARS AGO/AFTERNOON

A house is being built on the outskirts of the village. Herodotus, with Gabrielle, and a few other MEN and BOYS are working on it. The MEN are doing the bricklaying and Gabrielle and the BOYS are fetching the mud bricks from a pile. They are unbaked, just a mixture of mud, sand, water and straw sun dried for a month. There is horseplay, with BOYS trying to tackle the brick carriers and the general roughhousing you will find in the boys that age. Gabrielle trips one TALL BOY from behind, who goes down into the dirt. She pushes and tackles few more BOYS on her way to the pile and picks up a new load of bricks. She nimbly avoids the outstretched hands, using her training to good effect. On return trip, the TALL BOY blocks her way.

TALL BOY

Not so tough facing me, are you?

He shoves her hard, but Gabrielle keeps her balance, already in fighting stance. Other BOYS gather in a circle, sensing a coming fight. MEN look to see what is happening.

GABRIELLE

Can't take a hit and come crying about it? Are you going beat me with your tears? What, drown me?

The BOYS laugh.

TALL BOY, angrily

TALL BOY

Put that body where you mouth is, Gabe. Let's wrestle. Best two out of three.

The MEN go back to work, with Herodotus more watching than working. Both Gabrielle and TALL BOY remove their belts, tunics, and boots and get in a stance opposite each other. They are both wearing trousers but Gabrielle has her upper underwraps on. They circle and the TALL BOY shoots in for her legs. Gabrielle pushes him down and then sinks in the front headlock. The TALL BOY struggles, but it is in tight. TALL BOY passes out and Gabrielle releases the hold, leaving him down on the ground. She walks over to her clothes and throws on her tunic. The BOYS regain their senses and mob Gabrielle, loudly cheering and patting her shoulders in congratulations. Gabrielle looks up to see her father looking back at her, smiling widely and with pride in his eyes. Gabrielle is happy.

CUT TO:

EXT. POTIDAEA – VILLAGE – 3 YEARS AGO/EVENING

Herodotus and Gabrielle are walking toward the town square.

Herodotus, smiling

HERODOTUS

House construction is nearly done, only the roof left and we get paid. And we have your victory to celebrate as well. This calls for a round at the tavern. What do you say, Gabe?

Gabrielle, tentatively

GABRIELLE

Mead?

HERODOTUS

No, milk.

Herodotus laughs, then noticing the change in Gabrielle, quickly corrects.

HERODOTUS

My son is a real man and he drinks with me. Mead it is.

Gabrielle's eyes light up and she is regains her good mood.

CUT TO:

INT. POTIDAEA – TAVERN – 3 YEARS AGO/EVENING

A space has been cleared out at the front of the crowded room. The MUSICIAN is just finishing his performance when they enter. Nearby, a BARD warms up for his part by downing a drink. Herodotus leads Gabrielle near the front and a finds an open spot with ease as VILLAGERS move out of his way. A SERVER makes her way toward him.

SERVER

The usual?

HERODOTUS

And mead for Gabe. Keep them coming, we are celebrating.

The SERVER comes back with their drinks and sets them on the table. Herodotus hands one to Gabrielle who is trying to look everywhere and absorb all the conversations at once.

Herodotus, proudly

HERODOTUS

You earned it. You did good Gabe.

Herodotus toasts her and Gabrielle takes a sip and then another. The liquid warms her insides as it burns past her throat. She starts imitating her father, taking long swallows.

The BARD moves to the center of open space and all voices fall silent. Gabrielle eyes open wide as he begins to speak and she is very excited, almost bouncing on the bench. This is her dream come true.

BARD

I sing of Hercules, hero …

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – FOREST - MORNING

Xena and Gabrielle are walking thru the forest, with Argo following next to Xena. Gabrielle has just finished her tale and falls silent.

Xena, contemplatively

XENA

Life is complicated.

GABRIELLE

My father loves me in his own way and I love him regardless of the past. Some bonds are stronger than hate.

Xena, firmly

XENA

No, you are stronger than hate. There was more bad than good for you, but that is how it goes. You get your lot in life and you do the best with it. Not me. Gabrielle, we walk together and there is no going home. Put me anywhere near Potidaea and I will kill your father; not even you will be able to stop me. And you are not going there alone.

GABRIELLE

Xena …

Xena, tearfully

XENA

I took your family away from you.

Gabrielle, gently

GABRIELLE

I will teach you forgiveness.

Xena, unsure

XENA

It is not in me.

Gabrielle, with conviction

GABRIELLE

Love and compassion are in all of us. Even you.

Xena is silent.

GABRIELLE

Drachma for your thoughts?

Xena remains silent.

Gabrielle, nudging

GABRIELLE

Share?

XENA

One day …

GABRIELLE

I understand. When you are ready.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – ROAD – LATE AFTERNOON

Xena and Gabrielle are overlooking a medium village. Gabrielle twirls her staff.

XENA

One reputation to fix and drachmas to make.

GABRIELLE

We are not staying overnight at the inn.

Xena, disappointed

XENA

No room this time?

GABRIELLE

You hogged the inn bath till they closed and I had to visit a cold stream outside town. Then you took the bed and I ended up on the floor.

XENA

That was the last village.

GABRIELLE

That was not the first time.

Xena, invitingly

XENA

We can share the bed.

Gabrielle, decisively

GABRIELLE

Not happening.

XENA

I won't take the blankets.

GABRIELLE

Definitely not interested.

Xena, innocently

XENA

The bed is all mine?

GABRIELLE

Yes. No. Wait, you tricked me!

XENA

Sweet victory.

GABRIELLE

Pyrrhic victory. It will be cold day in Tartarus before I get a room at the inn again.

Gabrielle turns and walks down to the village below.

XENA

Go bard.

Gabrielle waves to her without breaking her stride or turning.

CUT TO:

EXT. PELLA – VILLAGE SQUARE – EARLY EVENING

The open space has a few VILLAGERS, most of whom are heading for the tavern at the inn. The YOUNG MAN leaning on the wall near the front door is watching Gabrielle as she makes her way across the open space. Gabrielle walks up to the village well and brings up the bucket. The YOUNG MAN walks over and hands her the dipper.

YOUNG MAN, with a charming smile

YOUNG MAN

Your prince is here to save you from thirst.

Gabrielle laughs and their hands brush as the dipper is handed over.

Gabrielle, coyly

GABRIELLE

Does my prince have a name?

YOUNG MAN

Aha, now it is official. I am prince Peranis, heir to this fine establishment before you.

Peranis points at the inn with a flourish. Gabrielle follows his gesture and spots a comely YOUNG WOMAN leave thru the side door, probably from the kitchen. The YOUNG WOMAN is carrying two buckets on a wooden carrier over her shoulders. She is wearing a simple cut blue dress. The YOUNG WOMAN walks with her eyes cast down, avoiding looking at anyone. She heads in their direction.

Gabrielle, looking directly at YOUNG WOMAN, mesmerized

GABRIELLE

Who is that?!

Peranis, dismissively

PERANIS

That's Teresia, my sister.

Gabrielle, without taking her eyes of Teresia, just as dismissively

GABRIELLE

Go play in your castle prince, princess has a headache.

Peranis is not sure what to make of that remark and the reason for it and gives Gabrielle a strange look before he heads inside. Teresia approaches and Gabrielle intercepts her.

Gabrielle, cheerfully and with a smile

GABRIELLE

Well … come Teresia, I'm Gabrielle and I will be your attendant today. Water?

Teresia, giggling

TERESIA

You're funny.

Teresia now raises her eyes and looks at Gabrielle. She appears lost for a second in Gabrielle's eyes. She looks down again.

Teresia, shyly

TERESIA

Sorry, drifted off.

Gabrielle, matter of fact

GABRIELLE

I have that affect on people.

Gabrielle moves and deftly lifts the carrier from Teresia's back, taking it to the well. She lowers the well bucket.

Gabrielle, eyes twinkling

GABRIELLE

I am a bard on an adventure.

Teresia looks up, intrigued.

Teresia, wistfully

TERESIA

I help in the kitchen, clean the rooms and draw the baths. I am not allowed in the main room in the evenings. Not a proper place for an unmarried woman, they tell me. I dream of hearing a bard someday, maybe my husband will take me. I sometimes lean against the servers' door and listen to parts of the story. Not often, my mother yells at me for blocking the door.

Gabrielle pours the water and lowers the bucket again.

Gabrielle, gently

GABRIELLE

Teresia, this bard sings for you.

Teresia is speechless.

Gabrielle, in bard voice

GABRIELLE

I, too, wish to sing of heroic deeds
(about the Atreides, and about Kadmus),
but the lyre's strings
can only produce sounds of love.
Recently, I changed the strings,
and then the lyre itself,
and tried to sing of the feats of Hercules,
but still the lyre kept singing songs of love.
So, fare well, you heroes!
because my lyre sings only songs of love.

Tears run down Teresia's face.

Teresia, gratefully

TERESIA

Thank you, Gabrielle.

Gabrielle reaches over and wipes Teresia's tears with her hand.

Gabrielle, warmly

GABRIELLE

Dreams have a way of coming true around me.

Gabrielle pours into the second bucket then picks up the carrier easily and sets it on her shoulders. Teresia looks ready to protest, but is disarmed by the smile Gabrielle gives her. Gabrielle picks up her staff set against the well and hands it to Teresia. They start walking.

Teresia uses the staff as a walking stick, staying to the side.

TERESIA

You are unlike anyone. Traveling alone and without a man to protect you. Aren't you scared?

GABRIELLE

I travel with my best friend; a woman. We stand together.

They walk in silence the rest of the way. Teresia is struggling with something, the conflict evident in her face. They stop at the kitchen door and Gabrielle sets down the carrier and takes her staff back. Teresa makes a decision.

Teresia, sharing, sadly

TERESIA

Gabrielle, I know my parents will not marry me. I speak of a husband, but there is none in my future. All the women my age are long married and with children. My fate is to work in the inn for my parents and then my brother until I die alone. I cost them nothing but food and clothes. I am a slave in my own home and to my own family.

Gabrielle backs up and quickly strings together her most advanced and elaborate staff moves at full speed. Teresia watches in amazement.

Gabrielle, locking eyes

GABRIELLE

We make our own fate.

Gabrielle walks up to Teresia and hugs her and Teresia returns the hug, clutching tightly. Gabrielle brings their heads together and they lean into each other.

CUT TO:

EXT. PELLA – VILLAGE SQUARE – EVENING

Gabrielle is almost to the village inn front door when a figure in black leather armor appears in front of her and blocks the way.

ARES

Loved your work in Tracus.

GABRIELLE

One per God.

ARES

Funny. The battle was great too.

GABRIELLE

I had inspiration.

ARES

Me?

GABRIELLE

Xena.

Ares, teasingly

ARES

For the kiss?

Gabrielle, smiling mysteriously

GABRIELLE

One of them.

ARES

You are quick with words. Let's test you with steel.

Ares places a hand on his sword and Gabrielle nimbly backs up and sets with a staff. He unsheathes the blade and shows it off.

Ares, coldly

ARES

Wood versus Hephaestus' finest work.

Gabrielle tosses three knives in quick succession, striking both thighs and an upper arm.

ARES

Ow, ow, and ow.

Ares removes the knives and tosses them to the ground. VILLAGERS are starting to gather around them.

Ares closes on Gabrielle, who suddenly can't move. He calmly cuts both ends of the staff close to her hands, leaving her with a third of its former length.

ARES

You will die slowly and alone.

He puts a point of his sword at her lower left side and stabs her deeply. Gabrielle's eyes open wide in pain. She can't open her mouth to scream.

ARES

That's for the fallacy of pride mortal, thinking you were equal.

Ares puts his sword to her lower right side. He looks into her eyes and grins savagely. Their eyes lock and something passes between them. Suddenly his smile fades as a buckler smashes into his face, fracturing his cheekbone and nose and closing his eye. Gabrielle drops the shortened staff and draws her sword. In her left hand she holds her buckler. Gabrielle is hurt, open wound bleeding profusely, but she is ready to fight. Ares backs up and moves his hand to his face and all the injury is healed.

Ares, looking at Gabrielle, stunned

ARES

That's unexpected.

Gabrielle is barely holding the sword and she is wobbling.

Ares observes Gabrielle and decides that the injury is severe enough. Plus there is something else about her as well, something that makes him uneasy.

Ares, to VILLAGERS

ARES

I am Ares, God of War. This woman is cursed by the Gods. Help her and face our wrath.

Ares disappears.

GABRIELLE

Help me …

The VILLAGERS start to leave immediately.

Gabrielle, pleadingly

GABRIELLE

Please help me …

The VILLAGERS walk away and none look back.

GABRIELLE

Don't walk away …

Her sword falls from her hand.

GABRIELLE

Please …

No one is around as she collapses to the ground. After collecting her remaining strength, Gabrielle removes her belt and armor and cuts her tunic with the dagger to access the wound. She cleans it with water from waterskin. She takes a needle and length of catgut and sutures the wound, hissing her pain thru clenched teeth.

Suddenly, Teresia pokes her head around the corner and quickly runs up to Gabrielle. Without a word she hands Gabrielle some clean linen and then just as fast she is gone. Gabrielle stacks clean linen and a bit of cut tunic over it and keeps a firm pressure on the wound. She drinks some water as she waits for the bleeding to slow down. She gets another linen and applies pressure again. The bleeding stopped, Gabrielle carefully takes to her feet and very slowly walks to her arranged meeting place with Xena.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP – LATE EVENING

Xena rummages thru Gabrielle's side of the saddlebag, looking for food. She finds a linen wrapped bundle with some wild fruit and nuts in it.

XENA

Holding out on me.

She starts to eat when she hears someone in the forest. She draws her sword and circles around the source of the noise. She recognizes Gabrielle and rushes to her side. Gabrielle is in her tunic with a hole in the fabric on the left side and there is a whole lot of blood. Gabrielle keeps her hands pressed against the wound.

Xena helps her to the campsite and sets her down on the bedroll. She checks the wound. The stitches are holding and look okay. Xena cleans the wound with cooled boiled water, applies yarrow spit poultice and covers with fresh linen. She wraps a long strip of the tunic, cut for that purpose, around Gabrielle's middle. Xena then dresses her in a fresh tunic and tucks her in. She mixes some herbs and adds water then gives the mixture to Gabrielle who is drifting in and out of consciousness. Gabrielle falls asleep shortly.

XENA

They cut you bad but you got away. Hope you left some for me.

Xena, barring her teeth

XENA

I really hope you did.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP – NIGHT

Xena wakes up and comes over to check on Gabrielle. The wound is deep, but the cut is clean and even with severe blood loss, things are optimistic. Xena checks Gabrielle's forehead and finds she has a mild fever. Her breathing is shallow but steady. Xena applies a fresh poultice and secures clean linen in place over it. She takes one last look at Gabrielle and then reaches out tentatively to her face. Xena's hand stops and it is shaking. She gathers her courage and gently touches Gabrielle's cheek. Xena draws Gabrielle's hair away from her face and Gabrielle makes a small sound. Guiltily, Xena pulls her hand back. She quickly stands up and walks back to her own bedroll. She lies down and stares at the stars, unable to sleep. Giving up, she sits up then bolts upright as a figure appears out of thin air near her. Ares and Xena stare at each other. Ares expression is one of vague amusement, Xena looks feral.

XENA

You hurt her.

It is not a question, it is a statement of fact.

ARES

Since when do you …

Ares notices the building rage in Xena's eyes.

Ares, surprised

ARES

You do care.

Pause.

Ares, considering the possibilities

ARES

The ice is melting. This is promising.

The chakram is drawn and thrown with lighting speed and murderous intent. Ares has trouble pulling it out of his chest, but manages with effort. He holds it upright in the palm of his hand and makes it spin in place, his blood staining it black in the moonlight.

ARES

Not here to fight. The villagers watched Gabrielle bleed to death and did not help. No one called for a healer, no one offered assistance. They watched the whole thing and then walked away, leaving Gabrielle, in the dirt, like a wild animal. But the vultures were quick to take her bloody equipment.

Ares tosses the chakram to Xena who catches it.

ARES

Benitar is coming with dozen men at dawn. Gabrielle will be avenged.

Ares disappears.

Xena dons her armor and secures her weapons. She walks over and looks down on sleeping Gabrielle.

XENA

Gabrielle, I know what you want me to do. You want me to leave you here and go save the village. Because you care for them and you want to protect them; because you forgive them. Gabrielle, that's not me. I want those eyes that closed to you turn cold in death. I want those mouths that refused to comfort you scream in pain. I want those backs turned to you broken. I want those ears deaf to you to ring with anguish. I want those hearts grown distant to beat in my hand. I want their blood for each drop of your own. Gods, I want vengeance.

Xena starts pacing.

Xena, anger growing, voice rising

XENA

How can anyone deny you? How can anyone look at you and not want to return the love and compassion you show all?

Xena takes a step away from Gabrielle.

Xena, determined

XENA

The peasants die.

She takes another step and her legs give out and she goes down. She is silent for a moment.

Xena, surprised

XENA

I can't move.

Xena tries to get up and her body is not responding. Xena considers the situation.

Xena, resigned

XENA

I can't …

Tears run down her face and finally she bows her head.

Xena, whispering

XENA

I forgive.

CUT TO:

EXT. PELLA – VILLAGE ROAD – DAWN

A line of THUGS walks down the road toward the village. Benitar rides to the side of them. An arrow strikes the last THUG in the chest and he drops. Second one takes the THUG next to him in the throat. THUGS are starting to react when XENA drops from the tree near the road. She puts down the bow and quiver.

Benitar, outraged

BENITAR

You are on our side!

Chakram cuts him down and he falls from the horse.

XENA

Not really, genius.

Xena does her war cry and draws the sword as she comes at them. Four THUGS run away, but the rest make a stand. Xena runs the closest THUG thru the gut, feints at another THUG and deeply gashes his sword arm. Xena steps into the next THUG's guard as she parries his sword away and lands a reverse elbow. Another THUG charges, and she lets him pass by her and stabs him in the back. She disarms the next one and the last thing he sees is her fist closing fast. The THUGS had enough and those able to move take off. Xena stretches and goes to retrieve her weapons.

The VILLAGERS approach, drawn by the sound of fighting. VILLAGE ELDER steps out of the crowd and addresses Xena.

VILLAGE ELDER

You saved us, hero. Who do we thank?

XENA

Xena.

VILLAGE ELDER

The Xena?! That Xena?!

XENA

Xena had two choices. Do nothing and let the village burn or to join the warlord and speed things along.

VILLAGE ELDER, bewildered

VILLAGE ELDER

Then why save us?

XENA

The woman you walked away from, the woman you left to die, the very woman left unprotected in a campsite in the woods would not want either of those. Her name is Gabrielle and even after you turned your back on her, she would defend you. Because that is who she is. And since she cannot be here, I took her place and carried out her will.

VILLAGE ELDER, astonished

VILLAGE ELDER

Who is she to you?

XENA

Everything.

CUT TO:

INT. PELLA – INN/ROOM – EVENING

Lit candles show a small room with a bed, chest, and a table with chairs. Xena is dozing on one next to the bed. Gabrielle wakes up with a groan and Xena is instantly awake. She checks Gabrielle's forehead and hands her a cup of water. Gabrielle finishes it and then has another one.

XENA

Good, no fever and the wound is healing without infection. We are at the inn, free room and board until you recover. And you get the bed.

GABRIELLE

There are easier ways to win that argument.

XENA

Yes, and you had to go and win it the hard way.

Gabrielle smiles weakly. It fades as she recalls the memory.

Gabrielle, seriously

GABRIELLE

Ares evened the score.

XENA

I would not be so sure. No second wound?

GABRIELLE

Buckler to his face.

Xena, thoughtful

XENA

Gabrielle, mortals don't break his control over you.

Gabrielle tests her side and winces in pain.

GABRIELLE

I feel very mortal.

XENA

What happened?

GABRIELLE

We locked eyes before the second stab, but nothing happened. Just like in Tracus. Well, except that I could move and I shield punched him. Xena, I know when there is a connection; Ares was unreadable. And that's not how it works anyway. My gift is of sight, not of action.

Xena, contemplating

XENA

Ares had a reason.

Short silence falls.

Gabrielle, carefully

GABRIELLE

Are you safe?

XENA

I have God's blood in me; one of my ancestors was favored.

GABRIELLE

That whole vessel thing. Pass.

Xena, teasing

XENA

Morpheus left you at the altar and Ares went from love to murder in two weeks. Gabrielle, you have not lost your touch.

Gabrielle, grinning

GABRIELLE

Correction. From what we understand, you stopped the wedding. And your ex-lover God tried to seduce and then kill me.

XENA

Ouch.

Gabrielle, satisfied

GABRIELLE

Well, my mind seems fine.

XENA

Hungry?

GABRIELLE

Bowl of soup would be nice.

Xena nods and heads for the door. Just as she is about to open it, Gabrielle speaks.

Gabrielle, with conviction

GABRIELLE

Xena, you are stronger than hate too.

Xena stops and just stands there for a long while, not moving or speaking. Then she quietly opens the door and leaves, closing it behind her. Gabrielle can't see the tears in Xena's eyes but she knows they are there.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

INT. PELLA – INN/ROOM – LATE MORNING

Gabrielle is lying in bed, writing in a scroll. She is propped on pillows. There is a knock on the door. Since the person does not enter, it is not Xena, but someone else.

GABRIELLE

Enter.

The door opens and Teresia appears. She is wearing a worn dress that is not very clean. She is tense, but as Gabrielle smiles at her, she relaxes and shyly smiles back. Teresia closes the door and stands in front of it, not going in any further.

Teresia, by way of explanation

TERESIA

I finished the rooms early.

GABRIELLE

I approve. Come on over, don't make a sick person strain her voice.

Teresia eagerly runs to the side of the bed and trips, landing across Gabrielle's feet.

GABRIELLE

Woo hoo, women are throwing themselves at me. Bless you Aphrodite.

Teresa scrambles off the bed and stands back.

Teresia, flustered and concerned

TERESIA

Gods, what have I done! Did I hurt you?

Then Gabrielle's words register and she turns red and looks down. Teresia wrangles her hands.

GABRIELLE

Teresia, I liked it. I like you.

Teresia hesitates then relaxes and her hands fall down to her side. She raises and turns her head slightly and playfully peeks at Gabrielle under her lashes. Gabrielle sticks her tongue out and Teresia laughs.

Gabrielle, smiling

GABRIELLE

Sit on the bed already, you making me tired doing the statue. And no jumping on the bard …

Teresia sits on the edge of the bed, facing Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE

… this time.

Teresia giggles.

Teresia, taking a chance, flirting

TERESIA

Promise?

Gabrielle, innocently

GABRIELLE

I am weak and helpless. I am at your mercy.

Teresia, amused

TERESIA

Gabrielle, you fought Ares, God of war. And you have Xena …

Teresia trails off and falls silent. Gabrielle guesses the reason.

Gabrielle, gently

GABRIELLE

Teresia, me and Xena have different … interests.

Teresia, hopefully

TERESIA

Then …

Gabrielle, honestly

GABRIELLE

I will never leave Xena and you cannot go with us. I will recover for three weeks in this inn and then I will continue my journey.

Gabrielle reaches out and takes Teresia's hand.

Gabrielle, affectionately

GABRIELLE

Teresia, I offer you this gift. Twenty one days of memories to last a lifetime.

Teresia is crying. She covers Gabrielle's hand with her other one and squeezes.

TERESIA

I accept.

CUT TO:

INT. PELLA – INN/ROOM – AFTERNOON

Gabrielle is sleeping when the door opens quietly. Xena comes in and walks over to the bed. She stands still, looking at Gabrielle.

XENA

I know you are awake.

GABRIELLE

When?

XENA

Caught the rustle of blankets when I opened the door. Kids?

Gabrielle shows her right hand which is holding a dagger. Gabrielle then hides it. Xena steps closer and arranges the pillows. She helps Gabrielle sit up and notices the discomfort.

XENA

You want something for that?

GABRIELLE

Rather in pain than dead. Not with our lifestyle.

XENA

When did you hear?

GABRIELLE

Right at the door. Easy on the dose tonight, takes me half a day to clear my head.

Xena nods.

XENA

Had lunch?

GABRIELLE

Yes, the server brought it.

Without thinking, Xena blurts out what's on her mind.

Xena, sarcastically

XENA

Did you make her an offer too?

GABRIELLE

Whoa, back up the wagon. First, you don't talk to me that way. Ever. Do you understand?

Xena realizes she made a huge mistake and looks ready to bolt out of the room.

Gabrielle, determined

GABRIELLE

You walk out of here and I will follow you, even if I have to bleed all over the place.

Xena avoids Gabrielle's eyes. Xena is fiddling with her outfit and her posture and expression are one of great discomfort.

Xena nods her head.

GABRIELLE

You heard the whole thing?

Xena reluctantly nods again.

GABRIELLE

I met Teresia earlier, before Ares. Teresia faces a life of servitude at the hands of her family. They won't let her marry and leave, they plan to keep her as free labor. Xena, she has no future. No husband, no children, no grandchildren. I know she is not me; she does not have the strength to walk away or survive on her own. My place is with you and she is not coming with us.

Gabrielle throws back the covers and begins to slide to the edge of bed so she can sit there. Xena moves to hold her down in place and strong arms grab her. Xena realizes she can't break the hold without hurting Gabrielle.

Xena, with admiration

XENA

Sneaky bard.

Xena is now above Gabrielle and looking directly down at her.

GABRIELLE

Please sit on the edge of bed and let's talk.

Gabrielle releases her hold on Xena.

Xena hesitates, not sure what Gabrielle will do.

GABRIELLE

Hands off, huggy type.

Chastised, Xena lets go and takes her seat facing Gabrielle.

GABRIELLE

I want to give Teresia memories of us.

XENA

I understand but I don't accept.

GABRIELLE

Do you want me to call it off?

XENA

What?!

GABRIELLE

I will always choose you. If you don't want this, tell me.

Xena can't believe what she just heard.

Xena, shocked

XENA

Gabrielle, do you realize what you just said?

GABRIELLE

I was wrong, this is not my decision to make alone. You have to agree to this. What affects you affects me; we are too close.

XENA

You want me to say it?

Gabrielle, pointedly

GABRIELLE

This goes both ways.

It is an easy choice.

Xena, accepting

XENA

You come first. Always.

GABRIELLE

Plan?

Xena, thoughtfully

XENA

You want a life within the constraints of the choice we both made. And this … gift is your way of honoring that. I have to respect that.

Pause.

Xena, admitting

XENA

I'm sorry. I agree and I accept, but I don't want you to do it. Does that make sense? Is there a compromise?

Gabrielle, considering

GABRIELLE

Things will get to certain point and no further.

XENA

And next time? How long before you start lying to me?

GABRIELLE

I will just go ahead and do it and then tell you about it. I won't lie.

XENA

Gabrielle, you are honest to a fault.

GABRIELLE

Is it permission or forgiveness then?

Xena thinks for a minute.

Xena, with a heavy heart, whispers

XENA

Forgiveness.

Xena gets up and walks to the door, her posture defeated.

XENA

I will get another room.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – ROAD – LATE MORNING/THREE WEEKS LATER

Xena and Gabrielle have stopped for a rest and are sitting with their back to the large tree trunk. The shade is a welcome respite from the summer heat. Argo grazes nearby. Gabrielle is drinking from waterskin and some of water ends up on her front.

Xena, teasing

XENA

Keep getting poked and you will be sprouting leaks everywhere.

Gabrielle, musing openly

GABRIELLE

Things one does to impress a girl …

XENA

Gabrielle, you keep seducing innkeeper's daughters, it does not matter how much my reputation improves. We will be chased out of every village.

Gabrielle, hopefully

GABRIELLE

You said daughters.

XENA

Most people stop at one. You are not most people. I am serious, there are mobs in our future if you keep on this road.

GABRIELLE

Do you think I will chase anything young, pretty and available?

Xena, honestly

XENA

No. Anastasia seduced an inexperienced young woman. Teresia was sweet, but naive. Good first match for you.

Gabrielle, smiling

GABRIELLE

Teresia said you talked to her. She liked you.

XENA

Gabrielle, if you are with someone, I want to get to know them as well.

Gabrielle, wondering

GABRIELLE

Do you think that if I am with someone it weakens our commitment?

Xena, decisively

XENA

Yes.

Gabrielle, understanding

GABRIELLE

You view our bond differently. I now know what happened to you in Potidaea; you declared it in Tracus.

Xena, quietly

XENA

Yes.

Gabrielle, sadly

GABRIELLE

The last three weeks …

XENA

Hurt.

GABRIELLE

Do you want me to be honest? To tell you the truth?

XENA

No. If you don't say it, then it is not real. It leaves me with hope.

Silence falls.

Gabrielle, thoughtful

GABRIELLE

Xena, Perdicus and I would have grown close together in our arranged marriage.

XENA

Not fall in love thou.

GABRIELLE

No.

Xena starts crying.

XENA

I'm sorry.

Gabrielle, sighing

GABRIELLE

All the times I was trying to get away from them, it turns out I was in one all along.

Xena, fiercely thru tears

XENA

I won't let you go.

GABRIELLE

Past that point already. Onto the part called making the best of it.

Xena, nervous

XENA

What now?

GABRIELLE

You keep your arranged marriage paws off me, that's what. Now I want to break this bond.

Xena is speechless.

Gabrielle, with unwavering conviction

GABRIELLE

Neither God nor woman will dictate my fate. It is my destiny to save your soul. That has not changed. Xena, I free you, I free myself. That is the whole truth.

XENA

By Gods, why did you not tell me?!

Gabrielle, truthfully

GABRIELLE

I did, most of it. The last part I kept back for obvious reasons. Xena, the truth I accepted initially is that I would spend my entire life with you, pursuing this Sisyphean task.

Xena, mouth moving without a sound, devastated

XENA

…

Gabrielle gets up tenderly and stands in front of Xena.

GABRIELLE

Come here.

Xena stands up shakily and falls into Gabrielle's arms, almost taking her down.

Gabrielle starts stroking Xena's hair gently.

Gabrielle, convincingly

GABRIELLE

We will walk the ends of this land together, my friend. We will walk the beyond, the land of the Gods; straight to Tartarus. I hold on to hope of life beyond the bond just like you hold on to hope of us. It is good to have a dream.

Gabrielle, deciding

GABRIELLE

Xena, I will fight the Fates but not your dream. Quis ero, ero.

Xena, smiling thru tears, grateful

XENA

Thank you, Gabrielle.

Gabrielle breaks the hug and drops her hands. She holds Xena close by the waist. Xena returns the gesture and they stand, bodies connected and eyes locked.

GABRIELLE

Together, for all eternity.

Xena, believing

XENA

Never.

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

 

Return to the Academy