Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“Royal Academy of Bards”

Episode 14

Part 2

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


TEASER

FADE IN:

EXT. POTIDAEA – FOREST – 8 YEARS AGO/SUMMER/AFTERNOON

Gabrielle and Praxiteles crest a small, heavily overgrown hill and step down into a bowl-shaped valley. Small stream cuts it in half and the trees thin out as they get closer to it. The sun merrily dances on them in the breaks of cover and the air is heavier and warmer. They step out into an area of many weathered tree stumps, with small trees and bushes busily reclaiming the space for nature. Gabrielle's eye is drawn to a small log cabin. Large windows with open shutters gaze back at her and the door forms the mouth. Small shed leans against the left side and the other has a semi-covered circle of stones with ash inside, under an awning. The roof is thatched and below it, on the outside walls, skins stretched on wooden frames are hanging, swaying lightly in the breeze. Behind the rustic home, water burbles busily between the rocks, heading for parts unknown. Sizable, fenced garden with plants mostly unknown to Gabrielle completes the picture.

Gabrielle, gushing

GABRIELLE

This is so cute. I love your house, it is straight from the tales.

Praxiteles' expression shows that he considers his home something other than cute.

Gabrielle runs up to window and sticks her head inside. Table with four chairs, few chests, tall wooden cabinet and small straw pallet with skins complete the inside. Bear rug lies stretched on the floor and some skins hang from the walls. Gabrielle withdraws her head and moves to the door. Leather hinges hold it up and a small wooden bar holds it closed. Gabrielle flips it and pulls the door. Stepping inside, she quickly ends up on the rug, testing the fur and finding it soft and plush. It has a faintly musky smell and it's clearly old. Yet it is well maintained and does not appear to have seen much use; its function appears decorative.

Gabrielle, grinning

GABRIELLE

I can think of at least one surprise for Lila in this room.

Gabrielle glances around and spots a carved wooden comb, handle worn shiny with age, sitting on the chest by the bed. It appears to be the only personal item left in the open and it still has some long brown hairs trapped in it.

Gabrielle, connecting the dots

GABRIELLE

Unless Praxiteles is saving his last hair before it all turned silver, I do believe there is a woman involved.

She stands up and leaves the house, beginning her inspection of the outside. Praxiteles stands patiently where she left him, letting her explore at will. She spots a well worn path leading to a small grove of tightly clustered trees and starts in that direction.

Praxiteles, firmly

PRAXITELES

No.

Gabrielle turns and returns to him.

GABRIELLE

You make a poor hermit. Woman's comb and now me running around the place.

PRAXITELES

No, fate and choice.

GABRIELLE

Wow, you sure answer the questions succinctly.

PRAXITELES

Birds prattle, humans talk.

GABRIELLE

Hey, is that a dig at me? I talk. I talk a lot. I can chirp too, kind of. Not that good with bird calls but I want to learn. Do you know any seeing as you live in the woods? Why are you living alone out here and not in the village? Is there a bounty on you? Are you a warlord hiding from justice?

Praxiteles, amused

PRAXITELES

No, yes, yes, nice, sure, yes, choice, no, and no.

Gabrielle, laughing

GABRIELLE

No fair.

PRAXITELES

That's life.

Gabrielle, shyly

GABRIELLE

I like you.

Praxiteles, without thinking

PRAXITELES

Feeling is mutual.

GABRIELLE

Aha, a complete sentence.

Praxiteles, contemplatively

PRAXITELES

You have an ear and a talent for words beyond your years. Marrying young is wasted on you. You could travel to Athens and become a great bard.

Tears form in Gabrielle's eyes and fall on the ground as the dam breaks in her head. Sobs rack her body and she stands shaking in front of him. At first unsure of what to do, Praxiteles kneels in front of her and gathers her in his arms. He starts rocking her gently, whispering in soothing tones. Gradually, the deep reservoir empties and the last drops fade to memory. Gabrielle's body relaxes and Praxiteles lets her go.

Gabrielle sniffs a few times and then looks at the man kneeling in front of her. On the tear streaked face, eyes older than her apparent age drill into his and reach his soul.

Gabrielle, wholeheartedly

GABRIELLE

For the first time in my life someone told me what I could be, instead of what I should be. Thank you.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

EXT. POTIDAEA – GRAZING FIELD – 8 YEARS AGO/LATE SUMMER/AFTERNOON

Gabrielle is shooting the straw targets rapidly, emptying an entire quiver by rotating thru the different ones. She has the technique down and she is now working on speed. Praxiteles prudently enters from the side opposite the downrange of her bow. He gazes around, expecting to meet certain someone he has heard numerous stories about. He raises questioning eyes to Gabrielle who nods in a greeting.

PRAXITELES

Lila?

GABRIELLE

Now there is a story worth telling.

PRAXITELES

Pray do.

Gabrielle, innocently

GABRIELLE

Lila rode a sheep home this spring.

Praxiteles, incredulous

PRAXITELES

And you had nothing to do with it?

GABRIELLE

Why, what kind of girl boy do you think I am?

PRAXITELES

I think you are trouble.

GABRIELLE

Well …

Praxiteles, seriously

PRAXITELES

Gabrielle, listen to me. Lie is cowardice, truth is courage. Stand up and shine.

Gabrielle nods. Gabrielle, beginning to show a glimpse of her future bard voice

GABRIELLE

Sometimes my imagination runs wild and that day mother and I had words. You know me; I told Lila how to ride and off she went. Problem is the sheep ran straight home, then past it, thru the village and into the square. Soon half the village was chasing the poor animal and cursing her. Elders, men, and boys running around like fools. Lila was having the time of her life, yelling and laughing at them. The sheep took them around the village and fields. The best part was the animal going back to her holding pen on its own and stopping; all their efforts for nothing. They were mad, let me tell you. Not as angry as my mother, thou it was close. And talk about timing; I walk in with the rest of the herd, innocent like, and the entire sweaty and disheveled male population is looking at me with murder in their eyes. That was one uncomfortable silence. Of course, I just had to open my mouth and go: baaaa. It did not go over well and they were about to start chasing me. Father arrived and told them to go home; that cleared the crowd. Then he hugged me and said I did good. Figure him out. He wanted stories of his boy's mischief to brag about with fellow drunks. Kind of my boy is better than your boy. I won that contest for him and many others; some of my adventures had less happy and more painful, hand on behind, ending. Both you and mother are right, I am trouble.

PRAXITELES

I remember one festival men were chasing and wresting greased pigs. What I would not give to be in Potidaea that day.

GABRIELLE

Mother tasked me with Lila to teach me to be a good mother when I have my own. I raised my sister from the day she was born; changed her, played with her, watched her and taught her. The only thing I did not do is feed her, at first. My life revolved around her and the day I let go would be the day I went with my husband to start my own family. I know I am only nine, but I feel in my heart that Lila is my daughter.

Praxiteles, understandingly

PRAXITELES

You father took her away during the day and your mother is keeping her there.

GABRIELLE

I am responsible for Lila until I leave for school in the morning, during lunch, and the moment I bring the herd back. It is not enough. I want her here in the afternoons.

PRAXITELES

You are lucky your mother did not disown you.

Gabrielle, sighing

GABRIELLE

She sort of kind of did.

PRAXITELES

Gabrielle, I am known in the village and not in a good way. My reputation will not help your cause.

Gabrielle, ignoring him, lost in her thoughts

GABRIELLE

I expect a knock-down, drag-out fight with mother.

Praxiteles, getting her attention, loudly

PRAXITELES

Gabrielle!

GABRIELLE

Sorry. Yes?

Praxiteles, gently

PRAXITELES

There is another way. Talk to her.

Gabrielle, uncertain

GABRIELLE

That is what started the whole problem.

Praxiteles, convincingly

PRAXITELES

Gabrielle, you have the words. Don't speak with your head. She is your mother and you are Lila's. Open your heart and tell her how you feel; mother to mother.

GABRIELLE

It can't be that simple.

PRAXITELES

Love has its own language. Trust me, she will understand.

CUT TO:

INT. POTIDAEA – KITCHEN – 8 YEARS AGO/LATE SUMMER/LATE EVENING

Gabrielle slides into the kitchen quietly and looks at her mother's back pensively. Hecuba is washing the dishes in a basin. She hums a tune to herself as she works. Gabrielle clears her throat loudly and moves over to the table. Her mother takes one long look at her and stops what she is doing. Hecuba comes over to the other side and they stare at each other across the wooden surface, the actual gap between them larger than the space dividing them. Gabrielle breaks the silence first.

Gabrielle, conciliatorily

GABRIELLE

I want to talk about Lila.

Hecuba, dismissively

HECUBA

There is nothing to discuss.

Gabrielle, determined

GABRIELLE

I want to talk about my daughter.

Hecuba sits down hard on the closest chair, hardly believing what she is hearing.

HECUBA

What?!

GABRIELLE

I raised Lila and I am her mother.

HECUBA

Gabrielle, you are a child yourself.

Gabrielle, pointedly

GABRIELLE

She calls me ma.

HECUBA

Gods, not that again.

GABRIELLE

She calls you yaya and father papu.

HECUBA

When Lila grows older it will sort itself out.

Gabrielle, truthfully

GABRIELLE

I love her. Not like a sister, like my own.

HECUBA

…

Gabrielle, miserably

GABRIELLE

Don't keep her away from me.

Hecuba feels her pain and her resolve wavers and then shatters. Hecuba, affectionately

HECUBA

Come here … Gabrielle.

She pats her leg. Gabrielle comes over and sits sideways on her lap. She throws her arms around her mother and buries her head in her shoulder. Gabrielle sniffles a bit but is holding her tears in; only a few escape. Hecuba reaches and removes her daughter's head covering, letting the hair fall free. She tenderly strokes Gabrielle's hair and sobs shake the compact and strong body in her arms. She marvels at the changes in her daughter and quite a few tears fall from Hecuba as well in the memory of what was. She starts humming an old lullaby, Gabrielle's favorite. It takes them both back to the past. As the last words fade, Gabrielle looks up.

GABRIELLE

I love you ma.

HECUBA

I love you too.

Hecuba takes out a small comb and starts brushing Gabrielle's hair.

Gabrielle, wistfully

GABRIELLE

I remember this.

Hecuba, meaning not just the action but what it represents that was lost

HECUBA

I'm sorry.

Gabrielle, touched

GABRIELLE

You still carry it?

Hecuba stops and fingers the comb, assuring herself it is real and in her hand.

HECUBA

As long as I have it you will always be my little girl.

GABRIELLE

I will be your little girl forever.

Hecuba resumes her brushing.

HECUBA

Why did you put Lila on that sheep?

Gabrielle, honestly

GABRIELLE

To spite you. I figured since you already thought the worst of me I was going to prove it.

HECUBA

You put your daughter on an untrained animal. What if something happened? What if Lila got hurt? Or worse? Did you think about that?

Gabrielle, in small voice

GABRIELLE

No.

HECUBA

What did you feel then?

Gabrielle, confessing

Joy after I realized Lila was fine. Satisfaction when I found out what happened.

HECUBA

You found happiness in my suffering.

Gabrielle, ashamed

GABRIELLE

No, I … yes.

HECUBA

What you put me through … what I felt. Gabrielle, I saw the worst happen in my mind. I lived it. You can't hurt someone like that.

GABRIELLE

I did not mean …

Hecuba, interrupting

HECUBA

Did you make the decision, Gabrielle?

GABRIELLE

Yes, I did. I suspected how it would affect you and I did it anyway. In fact, I did it because it would.

HECUBA

Did you learn your lesson?

GABRIELLE

Yes.

HECUBA

Lila comes first. Do you understand me?

GABRIELLE

Yes.

Hecuba, sharply

HECUBA

No, you don't.

Gabrielle looks stricken.

HECUBA

Love is unselfish. Love means putting someone ahead of yourself. Lila is not you. She is not strong or brave. You have to protect her.

Gabrielle is sad. Gabrielle, meaning it

GABRIELLE

I am sorry for breaking your trust and risking Lila. I am really sorry for the pain I caused you.

HECUBA

What do you feel now?

Gabrielle, feeling her guts tie themselves in knots

GABRIELLE

My stomach hurts.

Hecuba places her other hand on Gabrielle's abdomen.

Hecuba, warmly

HECUBA

I forgive you.

Gabrielle feels the knots slowly untwist themselves. She relaxes.

HECUBA

Who comes first?

Gabrielle, without thinking

GABRIELLE

Lila. Always.

HECUBA

Who is responsible for her?

Gabrielle, accepting without reservation

GABRIELLE

I am.

Hecuba finishes brushing and puts the comb away.

Hecuba, softly

HECUBA

She goes with you every afternoon. There is no trial to see if you hold up your end. You want her, you have her. Lila is your daughter and you will raise her right.

GABRIELLE

Thank you.

Hecuba, unexpectedly

HECUBA

You provide for Lila since last autumn?

GABRIELLE

I hunt game.

HECUBA

You took care of her when I couldn't. Gabrielle, you will not bring food to this house for me or your father. No matter what Fates throw at us. Only Lila. Do you understand?

Gabrielle, fiercely

GABRIELLE

Lila is mine.

Hecuba, proudly

HECUBA

You will be married in four years. Trust me, you will make a great mother.

GABRIELLE

…

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

EXT. POTIDAEA – GRAZING FIELD – 8 YEARS AGO/LATE SUMMER/AFTERNOON

Summer is going out in a blaze of heat and humidity, helped along by cloudless skies and day off from wind. Gabrielle is sweating in the middle of her camp, weapons in a pile close at hand. Tiny arms are wrapped around her from the back and the only other thing visible is Lila's head as it peeks occasionally around Gabrielle's larger body.

Gabrielle, calmingly

GABRIELLE

Praxiteles is a good man and he wants to meet you. I warned him about your hugs.

Lila, defiantly

LILA

No hugs. Not hugging him. No way.

Gabrielle, smiling

GABRIELLE

You say that now. Lila, you are the clingiest girl in the village.

LILA

Am not.

Gabrielle looks down on the arms circling her.

Gabrielle, teasing

GABRIELLE

Lila snake.

Lila makes a hissing noise as she pokes her head out again. A tall figure chooses that moment to appear between the bushes and trees, heading for the clearing. Gabrielle smiles a greeting as Lila's head disappears again. Praxiteles enters the clearing bundle in hand and sits down. He notices right away the tiny figure hiding behind Gabrielle and he tries to appear as small and nonthreatening as possible. And then there are other ways to catch a mouse. Like cheese.

Praxiteles, tempting

PRAXITELES

Lila, I the great wood spirit bring you offerings.

One eye pokes cautiously from behind Gabrielle's back. Praxiteles pretends not to notice.

Lila, smartly

LILA

You're not wood spirit. You're man.

GABRIELLE

Can't fool her.

Praxiteles unwraps a package he set down earlier and goes over the contents

PRAXITELES

I am a man with deer steaks …

Now the entire face is visible, interest divided between the old man and the contents of the bundle. The bundle is winning.

PRAXITELES

… berries …

Arms unwrap from Gabrielle and Lila steps out from behind her. Gabrielle smiles.

PRAXITELES

Hey, there is even some honey.

Small form hurls at him with reckless abandon. Gabrielle's smile widens.

Praxiteles, feigning surprise

PRAXITELES

Would you look at that? How did that get in …

Lila crashes into him, almost tipping him over backwards, and envelops him in a fierce hug.

Lila, intently

LILA

Gabrielle says you're sad. Don't want you sad alone. We are happy.

Gabrielle, coming next to them and positioning herself for what she knows is coming.

GABRIELLE

That took less than a minute.

Praxiteles, smugly

PRAXITELES

Basic hunting technique. Set up traps and see what wonders in.

Lila suddenly breaks the hug and dives for the container of honey. Gabrielle intercepts her easily, being prepared for it. She takes the protesting and struggling girl away from Praxiteles and his goodies. Gabrielle turns back some distance away and looks at him.

Gabrielle, grinning

GABRIELLE

I say she caught you in your own trap. Meet the famous Lila hug and grab basic hunting technique.

Praxiteles starts laughing, knowing he had been had. Gabrielle looks down at Lila.

Gabrielle, sternly

GABRIELLE

We are with a guest. You had your fun, now behave.

Lila stops fighting her and her bottom lip starts quivering. Tears shimmer in her eyes. Gabrielle sets her down and kneels in front of her. She gently pushes the disheveled hair from Lila's face and takes out a comb.

Gabrielle to Praxiteles, without looking

GABRIELLE

Please give me few minutes with her. The fire is ready.

Praxiteles nods and taking the supplies heads for the fire. He notices mixed herbs in a small wooden bowl and wet branches for placement over flame already set out. He goes to work.

Gabrielle works the tangled mess, patiently untying the twists and knots, and removing the debris from Lila's earlier trip into the grove's thick bushes. Lila calms down and gets into the spirit. Tiny hands pull impatiently on own dark curls. Her help hinders progress more often than not but Gabrielle does not mind.

GABRIELLE

You are a brave little girl tackling a stranger. With a hug no less.

Lila, indignantly, sticking her tongue out at the end

LILA

I'm five now. I'm big girl. Prax my friend. There.

GABRIELLE

Lila honey, ma is proud of you. Just don't go grabbing strangers or someone will take you away. You are too sweet to resist.

Lila, pouncing on the opening

LILA

Like honey?

Gabrielle, chuckling

GABRIELLE

One track mind. You are right, Praxiteles is not a stranger. But others are. Promise me you will run away if anyone you don't know approaches you. Scream my name and get out of there. Don't stop and don't look back. Keep running and I will find you.

Lila, insisting, worry apparent

LILA

You protect me?

GABRIELLE

Lila, there is nothing that can stop me if you call for help.

LILA

What about a river?

GABRIELLE

I will swim so fast the fish will think I am one of them.

LILA

What about a mountain?

GABRIELLE

The goats will eat their beards in jealousy at my climbing speed.

Lila giggles.

LILA

Neah, neah, neah. Can a goat eat its own beard?

GABRIELLE

Hmm, probably. If it tried really, really hard I bet it could do it.

Lila's imagination works hard trying to picture such a thing. She gives up.

LILA

What about a forest?

GABRIELLE

I have to go real slow or I will step on squirrels' tails.

Lila, concerned

LILA

If you go slow the stranger will get me.

GABRIELLE

I will run so fast all the trees will be naked.

LILA

And the squirrels too?

GABRIELLE

Yes, naked squirrels with bushy tails. Have to leave them something to cover with.

Lila imagines all the squirrels without fur and with just their tails left covered and bursts into hysterical laughter.

Praxiteles gazes over at them to see what is happening and Gabrielle gives him a little smile and a shrug. He goes back to cooking.

Gabrielle has to stop brushing for a moment as Lila works the merriment thru her system. She is laughing so hard tears are running down her face.

Lila, merrily

LILA

Hee hee. Yaya will make them little tunics in different colors. Hee.

Lila pictures lots of squirrels in tiny clothes and erupts into another round of uncontrollable laughter. Finally, Gabrielle just draws her into a hug and holds Lila till she settles down. She resumes brushing the wild hair, which strangely seems to have a life of its own. Once again her young one relaxes, the soothing action having more than the practical value. Guess that's why mother did it, Gabrielle thinks and begins to understand a bit more about the woman who raised her. Or tried to. Ever since that day …

Gabrielle, whispering under her breath

GABRIELLE

You are wise, mother. I wish I listened to you more often.

Lila turns her trusting eyes to hers. She thinks Gabrielle said something to her, something she did not catch.

Lila, utterly believing

LILA

I know you will be there for me. I promise.

CUT TO:

EXT. POTIDAEA – GRAZING FIELD – 8 YEARS AGO/LATE SUMMER/AFTERNOON

The steaks are but a pleasant memory as Lila nestles on Gabrielle, whose back is leaning against a trunk in the shade, legs stretched out. Gabrielle is working a waterskin and small piece of linen, trying to remove plentiful traces of food from Lila, with most of it already ending up on her own tunic. Lila is busy talking with Praxiteles, with Gabrielle only half listening, intent on her task. Those small hands are hard to catch, gesticulating all over the place, so like hers. Praxiteles lies on his back in the shaded grass nearby, hiding from the scorching sun as is everything living.

Lila, inquisitively

LILA

Do you have a pet?

PRAXITELES

I have the entire forest of animals.

LILA

Do you have a squirrel?

PRAXITELES

They sometimes come down from the trees looking for food. I will toss them a few nuts now and then. One time when it was raining, one of them came over and scratched at the door, demanding food.

Lila's eyes grow wide at the tale.

LILA

A squirrel knocked on your door asking for nuts? Ma, did you hear?

GABRIELLE

It was a trained squirrel. Like at that one festival a year back.

PRAXITELES

Hey now, I don't train squirrels in my spare time and definitely not to knock on the door. Don't be starting rumors.

LILA

Does she have a name? Is it a she? Can I see her? Can we go see the squirrel?

Lila punctuates her attention seeking effort by reaching up and knocking on Gabrielle's forehead with a tiny fist.

Gabrielle grabs the hand and holds it. She uses the opportunity for some cleaning.

GABRIELLE

Ouch. Lila, you don't punch people in the face.

PRAXITELES

Only bad people.

Gabrielle, sharply

GABRIELLE

Leave the mothering to me. I told her to run away from strangers.

Lila, proud to remember

LILA

Run fast and yell for ma.

PRAXITELES

I'm sorry. I did not mean to undermine you.

Gabrielle takes the lesson from him.

Gabrielle, conciliatorily

GABRIELLE

It is my fault, I overreacted. Please understand, her father, my father, tends to talk with his fists. I don't want her to follow his example.

PRAXITELES

Herodotus, right? I don't have anything nice to say about him so I will just keep my peace.

LILA

Papu fights and you fight. Yaya was talking to papu about you fighting older boys. He was happy you won and she was mad at him. He said you kicked …

Gabrielle, interrupting

GABRIELLE

Watch your language. No fighting you scrawny thing. You got long legs, use them. You keep your hands down and let me protect you.

PRAXITELES

Listen to your mother. She watches you like a hawk and you are safe with her.

LILA

Feel safe with her.

She burrows further into Gabrielle's tunic. Gabrielle puts away the cleaning supplies, takes a long drink of water and passes the waterskin to Lila.

Gabrielle, to Praxiteles

GABRIELLE

Thanks.

PRAXITELES

I am old and the idea of you raising her is strange at first but after I got to know you I cannot think of a better person. I would let you raise my own.

GABRIELLE

That means a lot to me. However, I am looking for a younger husband, someone around thirty or forty. Over fifty and people will talk.

PRAXITELES

You rascal, making fun of your elders. Young men and women these days; no respect for older generation.

GABRIELLE

I think it is universal. Every older person in the scrolls complains of the same thing.

Lila, catching her favorite word

LILA

Read scroll.

GABRIELLE

Yes?

LILA

Please read scroll.

GABRIELLE

Good bunny.

She reaches over for a small bundle of her things and selects one of the children's stories used to teach youngest boys to read. Gabrielle has an idea.

GABRIELLE

Honey, do you want to learn to read?

Lila, enthusiastically

LILA

Yes! After the story?

PRAXITELES

The dirt here is no good. I will bring sand from the stream tomorrow and set up a proper tablet for you to teach her.

Gabrielle, innocently

GABRIELLE

You will watch her and show her when I go hunting?

PRAXITELES

I would love to spend time with her. That hug was something else. You were right, I am stealing her and taking her to my cabin in the woods.

LILA

Yay!

GABRIELLE

I warned you, she grows on you.

PRAXITELES

They say children are a reflection of their parents, wrought small. You can walk with your head held high.

GABRIELLE

Praxiteles, you don't have to praise me.

PRAXITELES

I am too old to play games. I call them like I see them. Gabrielle, praise is important. You scold Lila when she steps wrong and reward her when she does right. You deserve the same. Do others praise you?

GABRIELLE

No. Not for things that matter to me.

PRAXITELES

Then I will.

Gabrielle, happily

GABRIELLE

I like that.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

EXT. POTIDAEA – CABIN – 7 YEARS AGO/EARLY FALL/AFTERNOON

Gabrielle walks in front as they clear the last large trees and Lila, high on Praxiteles' shoulders, takes the opportunity to pelt her one more time. Her high vantage point affords her the perfect height to grab and hurl various things at Gabrielle. Her efforts are foiled as once again Praxiteles shouts out a warning and the cone sails harmlessly past dodging Gabrielle. Lila takes out her dissatisfaction on her carrier.

Lila, complaining about speed

LILA

Go horsey go!

Just then they enter the area around the cabin and proceed straight to it. Lila's eyes and head are going in all directions, trying to decide where to look first. They make it to the cabin and Praxiteles stops and kneels down carefully. Gabrielle sets her weapons to the side of the door and lifts Lila off his shoulders. She sets her down and Lila takes off, eager to check around the place. A hand on her shoulder stops Lila.

Praxiteles sits down on the ground and takes out his waterskin.

Praxiteles, wearily

PRAXITELES

Horsey is feeling his age. Every single year, month, week, and day.

Gabrielle nods sympathetically, noticing that despite the words, Praxiteles is happy. She addresses Lila, held in place by her arm.

GABRIELLE

Lila, what do we say?

LILA

Thanks for the ride. You were slow but I keep you.

Gabrielle lets her go and Lila is gone in an instant.

GABRIELLE

I think that's a complement.

Praxiteles, shrugging

PRAXITELES

Been called worse.

GABRIELLE

You didn't have to carry her.

Praxiteles, wistfully

PRAXITELES

Gods didn't bless us with children. To get another chance in the twilight of my existence is a gift beyond price.

GABRIELLE

There is more.

PRAXITELES

We had a long, happy life together. I didn't feel anything was missing until I met you. Hard to put into words but it was like a piece of something that was unknowingly lost got found.

Gabrielle, thoughtfully

GABRIELLE

Everyone tells me in great detail how to be Gabe. No one ever told me how to be Gabrielle. You did.

PRAXITELES

I am an old man who lives alone in the forest.

Gabrielle, her yet unknown gift guiding her, speaks mysteriously

GABRIELLE

You are more.

Before he can ask her what she means by that, she heads for the cabin door and opens it.

Gabrielle, loudly

GABRIELLE

Lila, there is a bear in the cabin.

She disappears inside as Lila comes running around the corner of the shed. Lila looks questioningly at Praxiteles and he nods. Deciding it is safe, she approaches the door slowly and peeks inside. Curious as well, Praxiteles joins Lila and looks over her at the rug. Which has developed a large bulge in it. He smiles and waits for the fireworks. Lila glances with trepidation at the teeth in the open mouth and gathering her courage she moves in, slowly circling the rug. Satisfied it is dead, she approaches from the tail end and stretches a small, tentative hand towards the fur. Softness rewards her and she gets on all fours and crawls onto the rug. She lies down on her belly in the middle of it, right over the strange raised part. She snuggles into it, happy.

LILA

Soft.

She strokes the fur with her fingers then puts her ear to it. She thinks she can hear something. And that's when the bear comes alive. She bolts screaming and heads for the door only to stop and realize that Praxiteles is not running. And her mother is nowhere to be found. She turns to the rug and sure enough, Gabrielle's smiling face is looking at her from the folds of the skin and an open embrace is inviting her back. Lila, fear forgotten, runs right into her arms.

LILA

You scared me.

GABRIELLE

You kept throwing things at me after I told you to stop.

LILA

I'm sorry.

GABRIELLE

Are you going to listen next time?

LILA

Yes, listen and be good.

GABRIELLE

Good bunny. How do you like the fur?

Lila, whispering

LILA

Fluffy and comfy. Can we keep it? Our bed blankets are scratchy. I like this bear better.

Gabrielle, teaching

GABRIELLE

This bear is not ours and we cannot take it. If you want things you have to pay for them. You have to give someone something for it.

Praxiteles clears his throat.

Praxiteles, remembering

PRAXITELES

It was my wife's favorite. She used to sit on it during the warm days and wrap in it on cold days. It would make me happy if you would use it when you are here. She would have liked it too.

Gabrielle turns to Lila, her expression expectant. Lila recognizes the look.

LILA

I want to sleep and play with the bear. My bear. Thank you.

GABRIELLE

Looks like you found a buyer, not that it was a hard sell. I appreciate you letting us use it.

PRAXITELES

The purpose of things is to serve. I forgot that. You and Lila reminded me once again of that simple truth. Enjoy.

Gabrielle, seeing

GABRIELLE

Everything and everyone has a purpose. It feels good to be wanted and useful.

PRAXITELES

The worst fate is to be left alone and forgotten.

CUT TO:

EXT. POTIDAEA – CABIN – 7 YEARS AGO/WINTER/MID AFTERNOON

The air is crisp and on the cold side. Light wind chases itself thru the small trees and bushes reclaiming the land. Gabrielle and Praxiteles sit by the blazing fire. It devours wood and spits sparks at them. Iron pot is set off to the side with boiling water. Numerous pouches with herbs and their freshly picked versions are spread on a long bench against the house. It now serves as a table. Praxiteles is teaching Gabrielle folk medicine.

GABRIELLE

We have a healer in the village and a midwife. Is this the same?

PRAXITELES

Yes and no. Your healer is a priest of Apollo first. He knows common remedies and can mend wounds and broken bones, but he leaves too much in the hands of his God.

Gabrielle, defensively

GABRIELLE

He is a respected and educated man.

PRAXITELES

He is a fraud. He takes credit for successes and shifts the blame to the Fates. Gabrielle, appearance of competence is not the same as proficiency.

GABRIELLE

Oh.

PRAXITELES

When judging someone, looker deeper. Bring their soul into the light. There are small villages around Potidaea, yet none attend to your healer or midwife. Why?

GABRIELLE

They know what you know. I am sorry for doubting you.

PRAXITELES

I am their healer and midwife. Men are not present at birth, only women. That is tradition but I don't follow it. You wonder why I am absent sometimes. That is the reason. And on those weekends when you stay with the herd overnight, you will leave Lila here and accompany me as my assistant healer. You will acquire knowledge and skills and put them into practice.

Gabrielle is not ready for that.

Gabrielle, scared

GABRIELLE

You mean midwife?

PRAXITELES

Gabrielle, who do you want to care for Lila and your future children? Mother knows best.

Gabrielle, agreeing

GABRIELLE

Mother knows best. I want to learn everything you know and I will go with you. I can bring Lila when she is older.

PRAXITELES

We went over the medicinal herbs and their uses. You know when and what parts to harvest. Let's put that to good use. We start with stitching wounds, poultices and bandages.

He reaches under the bench and takes out a freshly killed rabbit that is missing most of its fur. Gabrielle swallows audibly and starts to feel nauseous. She fights back the urge to vomit. She washes her hands and gets ready.

PRAXITELES

First, rip the linen into strips and place in boiling water. Go ahead.

Gabrielle tears the strips as instructed and throws them in, stirring the bubbling pot with debarked stick. She takes them out and hangs them to dry.

PRAXITELES

Gabrielle, you will practice only on dead animals. Then you move to actual patients. I know it is hard but it is important to master the techniques. And we will eat the rabbit afterwards. Now, place the blade into the water and hold for a few seconds. Good. Now, make a shallow cut on the side of the rabbit. Good.

Gabrielle has turned pale but is keeping her stomach contents inside so far. Praxiteles hands her a length of gut and a needle.

Gabrielle, gritting her teeth

GABRIELLE

How many of those do I do?

PRAXITELES

There are two rabbits and there is plenty of exposed skin. The key to avoiding scars is to bring the edges of the wound as close together and make the stitches even. Begin.

CUT TO:

INT. POTIDAEA – GABRIELLE'S ROOM – 7 YEARS AGO/SPRING/NIGHT

The moon's silver hand reaches into the bedroom thru the open shutters. It covers the floor and slowly approaches the bed as time passes. A figure appears in the window and a voice calls out softly.

Praxiteles, whispering loudly

PRAXITELES

Gabrielle!

Lila has worked her way on top of Gabrielle and it is she who first opens her eyes. They widen in surprise at the sight of him.

Lila, delighted

LILA

Prax!

Gabrielle opens her eyes and looks down on Lila draped over her and then at the window where a friendly nod of a head lined in moonlight greets her. She gently, yet firmly disentangles the human octopus around her and lies Lila down on the bed. She makes the shush sign with a finger on her lips and Lila grows quiet and lies still. Gabrielle pads over to the window with bare feet chilled by the cold surface.

PRAXITELES

Saw the glow from my cabin. One of the settlements was hit by bandits and they probably need a healer. I could use an assistant.

GABRIELLE

Turn around.

PRAXITELES

Huh?

GABRIELLE

I am wearing light cloth and underwraps.

Praxiteles quickly turns around. Gabrielle opens a nearby chest and selects a thick tunic. She grabs her belt and boots from near the door and accessorizes. The staff leaning on the wall is picked up and then she is at the bed.

GABRIELLE

Lila, I have to go out. Go back to sleep.

Lila, sadly

LILA

Can't sleep alone; I wait for you.

Gabrielle thinks a moment then picks up her sleep shirt and hands it to Lila.

Gabrielle, affectionately

GABRIELLE

Here bunny, ma is with you.

Lila clutches the shirt to her chest and curls up around it. Gabrielle tucks her in and kisses her on the forehead as Lila falls asleep. She quietly walks to window.

GABRIELLE

Ready.

Praxiteles slides to the side and Gabrielle disappears in the opening. The moonlight slides to the bed and protectively covers the innocent child lost in dreams. Safe in the knowledge she is in the arms of her mother.

CUT TO:

INT. SMALL VILLAGE – INN – 7 YEARS AGO/SPRING/NIGHT

Gabrielle and Praxiteles enter thru the front door. The numerous tables have been set as temporary beds, with blankets covering them and WOUNDED VILLAGERS in various states of injury on them. Other VILLAGERS mill about, doing their best to comfort relatives and try to ease the pain of those suffering. At the sight of the healer arriving the mood changes to hope and relief is visible on tired and suffering faces. The INNKEEPER, a portly older woman in her forties, emerges from the kitchen carrying large bowl of hot water. She is followed by others, bringing fresh linens and more water. Praxiteles takes charge.

PRAXITELES

Everyone clear the tavern unless you work here. If we need more hands, we will call for you. Gabrielle, walk with me and once I finish triage, start cleaning the wounds of those we can save.

Gabrielle, overwhelmed by the visuals, the groans of pain and the smell of blood, looks ready to pass out. Now there is another concern. Death.

Gabrielle, turning even paler and starting to shiver

GABRIELLE

We won't save everybody?

Praxiteles, truthfully, sorrow tingeing his voice

PRAXITELES

Gods willing, no. Realistically, yes.

Praxiteles looks at her and places steady hands on her shoulders.

Praxiteles, encouragingly

PRAXITELES

Steady. Take a deep breath and release. Good. Now take another. Release. One more. Release. Good. The goal of the healer after battle or natural disaster is to save as many lives as he can. Those that cannot be helped are left in Gods' hands. Later, when the others are stable, the healer will return and do what he can. This is an efficient system and it gives people the best chance to survive. Gabrielle, you are strong, you can do this. I believe in you. Are you ready?

Gabrielle, shakily

GABRIELLE

Yes.

PRAXITELES

Follow me.

Praxiteles quickly makes the rounds. Only one man with a crushed skull is left with a blanket covering him almost entirely. Praxiteles quietly instructs the INNKEEPER to bring his family around him as Gabrielle keeps her eyes averted. They finish the triage and Gabrielle starts on the patients in the order she was given. Most are lacerations from swords or punctures from arrows. She removes those, cleans the wound, sprinkles some yarrow and then applies even pressure with a piece of clean linen to stop the bleeding. Once that is in place, she calls over the INN STAFF to keep holding it before she moves to the next. She quickly gets lost in the job and the world shrinks to each patient she is currently working on. Praxiteles glances at her from time to time and a small smile shows on his face with each look. He guessed right.

CUT TO:

EXT. POTIDAEA – CABIN – 7 YEARS AGO/SUMMER/LATE AFTERNOON

Praxiteles paces in front of his cabin, torn between waiting and the gnawing fear that is eating at him. Gabrielle was due hours ago and there is no sign of her. He wants to give her privacy if she decides she wants to be alone on this particular day but is worried sick that something happened to her. She is very responsible and would not miss their training unless it was a genuine emergency. He curses his decision to live here, cut off from the village.

Suddenly there is a sense of other and he visibly exhales only to catch his breath again when Gabrielle slowly walks toward him. Her normally long and beautiful hair has been roughly shorn short. Numerous cuts mark her face and neck. She is looking at him with a lost, almost pleading look. Praxiteles knows who is responsible but all he can feel is soul crushing pain. Tears run down his weathered face as he falls to his knees and spreads his arms in embrace. Gabrielle is hurt and she needs this. She needs him. With a sob, Gabrielle runs into his arms and finds comfort and love.

Gabrielle, sniffling and thru the tears, affectionately

GABRIELLE

Da.

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

 

Return to the Academy