Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“Sins of the past”

Episode 1

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


TEASER

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS - FOREST GLADE - DAWN

Black circle of stones and charred skeletons of branches inside mark the passing of the camp. The clearing is small and well sheltered with undergrowth. Wind gently moves the tops of the trees as pale rose light leaches into the air. The grass sparkles with dew. Xena halters the horse and saddles her, tightening the girth and checking fit. She then stops and takes the moment to check the surrounding, looking around and listening, yet her thoughts clearly not there on here and now as there is a faraway look in her eyes. Her face remains impassive throughout the entire sequence. Taking one long breath and exhaling, Xena turns to the horse and begins brushing Argo's coat with her hand, talking to her softly.

XENA

Well old friend, here we are. Half of Greece screaming for my head on a pike and the other half actively trying to get it for them.

Xena, grimly

XENA

Time to end this.

Xena, speaking with finality

XENA

Time to go home for the last time.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. POTIDAEA – CLEARING BY THE RIVER - MIDMORNING

Xena makes her way to the river when GIRLS' voices and laughter catch her ears. She dismounts and leaves Argo some ways into the foliage. She then cuts thru the thinning forest, crosses the clearing toward a large tree facing the river and looks thru the bushes growing at the sides down to the riverbank. A group of young GIRLS is approaching the water's edge. They range from nine to thirteen, plus an older teen. Most are short, slight and pale looking things, but two stand out from the group. The thirteen year old is a tall, lanky LASS with dark set of hair and light skin. The other …

XENA

Hmm …

She is older; a YOUNG WOMAN really, aged sixteen-seventeen. Towering over others at 5'6”-5'7”, with very well defined and pleasantly muscular build, the tanned arms contrasting with a light tunic belted around the waist and the cloth wrap on her hair. The GIRLS are all in dresses, some with ribbons and braids in their hair. They carry small cloth bundles and lag together behind the one in the front. There is a distance between them that goes beyond age and gender. The YOUNG WOMAN leading them easily carries two heavy bundles of clothes on her shoulders, stepping lightly toward the grass bank and setting down her burden. The GIRLS and LASS drop their packages next to hers and scramble toward the water with child-like glee. The YOUNG WOMAN does not follow. She removes the cloth covering her hair and a long shock of red tinged blonde hairs cascades down around her form.

Xena, thinking out loud, fascinated with this human puzzle in front of her

XENA

Knee length man's boots, trousers, man's tunic and belt, built, tall, and strong like one, who are you my mystery woman?

She starts to settle down to study the object of her interest, then stops and remembers her purpose. Reluctantly, she moves out into the clearing, picking a likely spot and starts to dig.

Xena, talking to herself

XENA

Job first, then you can gaze all you want.

Xena, chuckling, following with, wryly

XENA

Xena, you lost your mind, peeking on young girls washing clothes in the river. No wonder you are going to end it all.

Xena continues to dig, until she looks at the hole and grunts in satisfaction. She removes all her weapons and armor and sets them in the hole, covering it. She is left with a light tunic, a padded undershirt for her armor that comes mid-thigh. She turns toward the river again and is almost at the tree when a sound of approaching men causes her to swiftly leap onto the lowest branch and climb up into the thick canopy, hiding her from view. Thirteen THUGS creep into the clearing and pause in the bushes to watch the GIRLS washing linen in the river. Their leather armor is of poor quality but the weapons look well maintained.

THUG LEADER

Time to make some dice money boys.

They split up in groups and sneak off.

 

FADE OUT:

END TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

EXT. POTIDAEA - CLEARING BY THE RIVER – LATE MORNING

Clean clothes and linens are starting to pile up as the dirty stack gets smaller. The girls chatter and splash each other as they work and then bring the done laundry back to YOUNG WOMAN who sorts and packs it into bundles ready for return trip. Suddenly, THUGS appear down and upriver from them and others step from the bushes lining the riverbank. Two of the THUGS have short bows, strings drawn back and arrows nocked.

THUG LEADER, stepping forward and pointing at the archers, factually

THUG LEADER

You run, they shoot you. You scream, they shoot you. You resist, they shoot you. You go with us quietly and everything will be fine. Do we understand each other?

Affirmative nods from the GIRLS, looking with frightened eyes on their captors. Not her.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. POTIDAEA - CLEARING BY THE RIVER – LATE MORNING

Xena looks between the leaves at the scene below, studying the YOUNG WOMAN. Unlike the girls, YOUNG WOMAN is posed and appears relaxed to casual observer. However, to Xena's trained eye the slight tensing of the muscles betrays the power coiling in the body, ready to unleash.

Xena, fascinated

XENA

Your move, mystery woman.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. POTIDAEA - CLEARING BY THE RIVER – LATE MORNING

YOUNG WOMAN moves towards the THUG LEADER.

YOUNG WOMAN

They are not worth much as slaves, I am far more valuable. Take me and let them go. I will go with you willingly.

THUG LEADER, eyeing her speculatively, appreciatively

THUG LEADER

You are right, you will fetch a king's ransom in the fighting pits.

THUG LEADER, waving at the GIRLS, dismissively

THUG LEADER

The girls are just game money and entertainment.

As if by silent agreement, both ARCHERS draw a lead on YOUNG WOMAN.

THUG LEADER

Take them all back up to the clearing and tie them up. Half of you give me a hand with this garbage.

THUG LEADER, kicking the laundry in disgust

THUG LEADER

Let's dump it in the forest. That will buy us some time for when the village militia comes looking for them.

Two THUGS with wooden clubs out lead the GIRLS and YOUNG WOMAN, now in tight group, into the clearing. ARCHERS are on both sides, watching for any wrong movement. Two THUGS with plain wooden staffs bring up the rear, herding the GIRLS. One THUG drops his and takes out the ropes from the bag hanging on his right hip.

THUG WITH ROPES, pointing at YOUNG WOMAN

THUG WITH ROPES

You first.

YOUNG WOMAN steps forward, as the THUG WITH STAFF gives her a shove with his staff. She loses her balance and goes down, but gets up quickly to be greeted with laughter from the THUGS. The ARCHERS relax into false sense of confidence at the performance. Only Xena, watching from above, notices the YOUNG WOMAN's hands slip inconspicuously into her boots and draw small knifes. THUG WITH ROPES steps forward and as his eyes register the flash of metal and start to open startlingly, cold steel slips into the seams of his leather armor. Two quick flicks of the wrist follow and the ARCHERS drop their bows as their arms are made useless by throwing knives. Another swift motion as the THUG WITH ROPES's staff finds its way into YOUNG WOMAN's hand and she is on the THUG WITH STAFF just as he sets his defense. Not that it helps him, as he goes down, never even seeing the blow that found his skull with speed and precision years beyond his skill level. Now the two thugs with clubs attack, before realizing that their short range weapons are a bad match to the longer reach and the skill of this YOUNG WOMAN. Both go down in short order. The rest of the THUGS realize what is happening and drop the laundry and advance in a group. It is now seven versus one and the odds appear heavy in their favor. The GIRLS continue to huddle in tight group, shaking in fear. One breaks out a little away from the rest and calls out with fear in her voice.

LASS, scared

LASS

Ma! Gabrielle, you tried. Give up now before they kill you.

THUG LEADER, smiling

THUG LEADER

Kill? Oh no, her price just doubled. I want her alive.

The remaining THUGS drop their hands from short swords' pommels and close them on the handles of their wooden clubs. They start spreading out to surround Gabrielle. A sudden yell splits the air and everyone freezes, as Xena drops behind and between two men closest to the tree, bringing their heads violently together with a loud crack and taking them both out of the fight.

Xena, with a sexy grin, invitingly

XENA

Hello boys.

Hands and feet fly out in a blur and the remaining THUGS and the THUG LEADER hit the ground, hard. Gabrielle watches, her eyes and mouth wide open in wonder. Soon, the ground is littered with groaning men as Xena surveys the results of the fight and then lifts her eyes to the figure leaning on the stuff short distance away. Everything stops as they lock their eyes and the sounds of the world fade away. They stand perfectly still, two bodies frozen, starring deep into each other eyes. The world is silent and focused on just those two. Long seconds pass and then sound is restored with a sharp sound of wood striking bone as Xena goes down in a heap. Her head is down, her vision unfocused and her hands blindly reach over the ground, searching for something. They pass over newly disturbed ground cover and start digging almost on their own volition. As they close on the sharp metal of her sword and chakram, the THUG LEADER is already in motion, closing the distance and bringing the short sword up. A step and he yells.

THUG LEADER, triumphantly

THUG LEADER

Die!

As he is about to strike downward a stuff slams end first into his face, crushing his nose. He screams and scrambles back. Xena lift her head and blinks, as she tries to make sense of the blurry figure dancing around her with a staff and further away of figures now surrounding them. Then the vision clears and Xena explodes into motion with chakram and sword in each hand doing their bloody work. All the THUGS dead, she approaches the THUG LEADER and disarms him.

Xena, menacingly

XENA

Who do you work for?

THUG LEADER

You are dead once Draco finds out what you did. Who are yo…?

Xena puts the pinch on him.

XENA

Xena.

Gabrielle, who is busy wiping the blood splattered on her during Xena's slice and dice, gasps in recognition.

THUG LEADER, whining plaintively

THUG LEADER

He worked for you …

XENA

How many men and where is the camp?

THUG LEADER, scared

THUG LEADER

Half day out from Amphipolis, in the hills to the east. 18 men left at the base, we are the raiding party that brings the slaves; rest watches and breaks them.

Xena nods and walks away.

THUG LEADER

Wait …

His voice turns into gurgling. The THUG LEADER fights for breath for a while longer and then drops dead. Xena approaches Gabrielle, a cruel smile settling on her lips.

Xena, testing, coldly and insultingly

XENA

Run home little girl and tell the folks the bodies are theirs for the looting.

Gabrielle, instinctively

GABRIELLE

No.

Xena halts and her smile fades. Her face an impassive mask, she explodes forward until she is in right in Gabrielle's face and towers over the shorter woman. Gabrielle gulps and takes an involuntary step back. Then she sets her shoulders, lifts her head, looks up at Xena and deliberately steps forward.

Gabrielle, sounding little scared and hesitant, babbling

GABRIELLE

I …. I mean …. um ... you must be tired after the fight … and I … um … you saved the village girls and my sister … um … water and food in the village … um … um … you are a hero …

XENA

Stop!

Gabrielle stops talking with her mouth open.

Xena, sounding out each word deliberately

XENA

I.am.not.a.hero.

Gabrielle is about to say something, but thinks better of it, and snaps her jaw shut.

XENA

Besides, river water here is fine.

Gabrielle considers this.

Gabrielle, smiling mischievously

GABRIELLE

I will tell everyone that you are a hero if you don't come into the village and partake of the hospitality.

Xena gives her the look that puts the full force of her dark personality into it.

GABRIELLE

I am a bard.

Xena looks meaningfully at the bloody sword blade and back at Gabrielle

Gabrielle, giggling

GABRIELLE

A very talkative bard.

Xena drops her shoulders and sighs in defeat. Willing defeat, she is surprised to discover.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. POTIDAEA – VILLAGE SQUARE - NOON

Crowd of male VILLAGERS, faces uneasy and eyes showing fear and suspicion, is standing behind VILLAGE ELDER, who is facing Xena. Gabrielle is off to the side, leaning on her staff and ignoring the rebuking looks from the men.

VILLAGE ELDER

We appreciate you saving the girls, we really do. I don't understand why you would do such a thing since you asked neither money nor tribute. But you have a dark, bloody past and you always have a reason, so the tales tell us. What is your purpose here, Xena? Recruits? You taking over Draco's army? What will it cost us in lives and property by the time you are done?

Gabrielle, objecting loudly

GABRIELLE

Now wait a minute …

VILLAGE ELDER, sharply

VILLAGE ELDER

Quiet you tongue and mind your place girl. This is a matter for men. Go home where you belong and beg the Gods for forgiveness. You embarrass your father with your disrespect toward your betters. Great Zeus, you are to be married this summer, act like a proper woman and stop this foolishness at once.

Gabrielle abruptly turns on her heel and stalks off. Xena's sharp hearing picks up her words.

Gabrielle, mumbling angrily to herself

GABRIELLE

Mind your place. Mind your place. I will show you “mind your place” with my staff up your …

Gabrielle walks out of Xena's hearing range. A small smile plays fleetingly on Xena's lips. She turns her attention back to the VILLAGE ELDER.

XENA

Water and provisions for one.

VILLAGE ELDER

Water from the village well you are welcome to, let no one say the folks of Potidaea are unkind to strangers.

VILLAGE ELDER stops, lowers and shakes his head, then steadies himself before he looks at Xena again and now there is pleading in his eyes

VILLAGE ELDER

I don't want to offend you or make you angry. I am just an old man trying to what is best for our people. Please accept our thanks for saving our daughters from the slavers. Their equipment will be sold and will benefit the whole village. Those still alive will be taken to nearest polis and turned in to authorities. You have our gratitude for the events of today. But we cannot feed you or provide you with provisions. If taken by force and under threat, that we accept and comply with. But if word got out that we willingly and of free will supported you Xena, this village will burn to the ground before the week is out. Quench your thirst quickly and then leave and don't come back. We in turn promise not to talk to any bounty hunters or soldiers after you. We did not see you and this meeting did not happen. You have my word. No one in town will speak of this to outsiders.

Xena nods her head curtly and heads for the well, leading Argo. The crowd disperses, shooting wary glances at her back which they think she does not notice.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. POTIDAEA – GABRIELLE'S HOUSE – EARLY AFTERNOON

Gabrielle passes the house and heads to the barn. She locates her hiding spot and removes some provisions, mainly smoked venison and some wild fruit. She wraps the bundle in a large square of linen and leaves the barn. LASS sees her thru the window and moves thru the house and out the front door of a small, whitewashed brick house. She catches up to her and they walk together towards the village square of Potidaea.

LASS, pointing at the provisions, accusingly

LASS

That's for her?

Gabrielle does not answer and continues walking. LASS puts her hand on her shoulder and stops her. LASS, angry, striking out

LASS

Have you gone mad, Gabe? You are fighting bandits, consorting with warlords, you did not do any chores after coming back, and now you are feeding that monster with our food. And you are walking with your hair out, you know better than that.

LASS, knowing by the expression on Gabrielle's face she cut too deep, attempts to mitigate the damage. LASS gently touches Gabrielle's hair and tries to hug her, but Gabrielle is stiff and unresponsive. LASS draws back, in body and expression.

LASS, hurt by the rejection, keeps attacking

LASS

Gabe, for Zeus's sake, stop and think about what you are doing. Perdicus will be here in three months …

Gabrielle moves abruptly, breaking LASS's hold with ease, and ending a short distance away. Her eyes burn with fire and LASS is suddenly afraid she is losing her mother.

Gabrielle, decisively

GABRIELLE

Lila, I love you, but you are wrong. I am not Gabe. I am not Herodotus' son. I will not be the wife of Perdicus. I am not a proper woman who minds her place and stills her tongue in the presence of betters. I am done being Potidaea's slave.

Lila looks stunned. Her entire world is collapsing in front of her.

GABRIELLE

My name is Gabrielle and I am a woman. I am a bard and a fighter. And I am leaving with Xena. Without you, daughter of mine.

Gabrielle turns and leaves. Lila drops to the ground in hysterics, crying and wailing in anguish. Gabrielle's shoulders twitch and it is taking all of her willpower, but she continues to walk away with a heavy, breaking heart. It is not as hard as she expected. It is worse. Gabrielle wipes the tears with the back of her hand and walks out on her past.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. POTIDAEA – VILLAGE SQUARE – EARLY AFTERNOON

Having drunk her fill, Xena puts away the dipper and mounts Argo, sparing a glimpse around the square for the only borderline friendly face she met in this village. Not seeing it, she sighs and lets Argo begin the steps towards her final destination. Before the horse can break into a trot, running footsteps sound, and as she glances back, a familiar stocky figure cuts across the village and catches up to her on the outskirts. Xena brings Argo to halt just as Gabrielle comes even with her. Despite sprinting a fair distance, Gabrielle breathing is smooth, if only a tad faster.

Gabrielle, grandly

GABRIELLE

Did you enjoy the renowned hospitality of Potidaea, known Greece-wide as the jewel of Thrace, with its magical body-rejuvenating springs of mineral water and culinary delights that inspired generations of artists to sing praises to the Gods for the only piece of Elysium in the mortal realm?

XENA

You must be the local bard, your mouth is moving an awful lot. Well, no one spit in the dipper before it was handed to me, so I guess that counts as friendly. As for the food, if the smells from the inn were any indication, Potidaea must have an excellent healer.

GABRIELLE

Haha, true to both.

Without further words, Gabrielle hands the provisions to Xena. Xena lifts an eyebrow in question.

GABRIELLE

Home cooking, or rather, smoking.

Gabrielle, gathering her courage, boldly

GABRIELLE

Where are you going next?

Xena stares at Gabrielle for a moment, appearing to weigh something, then making a decision.

XENA

Amphipolis.

Gabrielle, instantly, strongly

GABRIELLE

Take me with you.

Xena, with a small grin peeking out, challenging

XENA

You will not go to Amphipolis. I forbid you to follow me. You will stay here in Potidaea. Do we understand each other?

Gabrielle face breaks into wide smile and she nods her head and Xena's eyes twinkle in response.

XENA

Good.

Xena rides off, breaking into trot till the village and Gabrielle are gone from sight. Only then she pulls off the road, stops, gracefully dismounts and opens the linen square. She hesitantly eats a small amount of smoked venison, grunts in happy surprise, and then greedily devours the rest of contents. She spares a long glance back in the direction of the village.

XENA

Gabrielle …

 

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

INT. POTIDAEA – GABRIELLE'S PARENTS BARN – EARLY EVENING

Some boards are removed from the side facing the forest from the outside and a silent form slides inside behind stacks of hay. It stops, sensing another's presence and then draws the knives and advances stealthily. It relaxes when it recognizes the silent girl sitting on the ground facing the double door. Gabrielle appears behind Lila undetected.

Gabrielle, gently

GABRIELLE

Lila.

Lila, startled

LILA

How did you get…? And how come I did not hear you …? Oh, right …

Lila stands up and faces Gabrielle. Lila's eyes are red and she looks lost.

GABRIELLE

Parents know?

LILA

It is all over the village. Father heard about you fighting and the incident in the town square, run storming from the fields after you left. I told him what happened and then he went to the tavern. He looked mad, not the normal mad, the bad mad, you know how he gets sometimes. I … I don't think you should be here when he returns.

GABRIELLE

Wasn't planning on it.

Gabrielle, softer

GABRIELLE

Why are you here?

LILA

I know you hide stuff in the barn so they don't find out about the extra food and I figured you were …

Lila, quieter

LILA

… I'm sorry about earlier … I want to say goodbye.

She starts crying. Gabrielle hugs her and holds her close. In the arms of her mother, Lila's world returns to normal. Lila, in small voice

LILA

What will happen to me when you are gone and no one takes care of me?

Gabrielle, truthfully

GABRIELLE

You always knew I was going to leave.

LILA

No …

GABRIELLE

Yes, yes you did. We all have a place in this world and I know after today that mine is not here. I finally felt the truth I was denying all those years. The real me, my true soul.

LILA

Was it …

Lila can't bring herself to say the name. Lila, trembling

LILA

… her?

Gabrielle starts to think and realizes she already knows the answer.

Gabrielle, smiling at the memory

GABRIELLE

One moment I was Gabe, the one everyone wanted me to be. Then my hands closed on the knives and it felt … right … I was Gabrielle. I love being Gabrielle, I want the power, confidence and the freedom it gives me to … be myself.

Gabrielle, closing her eyes

GABRIELLE

I will die before they take that away from me.

Gabrielle breaks the embrace and climbs the loft. She roots in the dark corner under the rafters, then picks up and dons the leather armor over the tunic. She checks a large furry home-made backpack to ensure the cured skins are still inside and intact, armor/weapons maintenance and repair kit is present, then adds some provisions and tops it off with few scrolls, quills and ink. She picks three more throwing knives and places them on her belt. The other two go back inside her boots. She adds a small dagger on the left side, and slips the backpack on. The bow and quiver full of arrows are next. Thus dressed, she bounces a few times to settle things and heads downstairs to meet Lila who hands her the staff. Unlike other weapons and gear, this is one thing she never had to hide.

Lila takes in the walking armory with a small smile then turns serious at the implication. This is the moment she dreaded and knew was drawing closer. Now here.

Lila, tearfully

LILA

Ma, I love you. Come back for me.

GABRIELLE

I love you too, Lila. Stay strong and survive. I will return.

One silent embrace later and with a final glance back Gabrielle slips thru the back entrance and Lila puts the boards back in place. Lila slides down into hay and weeps.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. POTIDAEA – 1 DAY'S WALK FROM THE VILLAGE – 2 HRS BEFORE DAWN

In the distance the road fades into and out of existence, pale and naked, as the moonlight plays hide and seek with the clouds. Gabrielle is walking along the edge of the forest, a shadow gliding among the trees, quiet as a whisper. She locates an overgrown bush, and then slides inside with a slight ripple of leaves.

Gabrielle, whispering to herself

GABRIELLE

Had to pick a race with a horse, didn't you? Well, I figure if I walk during the day and half the night, we should arrive at roughly the same time.

She removes the gear and stretches, before grabbing a quick bite and settling down for the night.

GABRIELLE

One day out is the furthest I have gone out hunting before, but if the maps are correct, I just need the follow the road and take the right fork in about day and a half. And then what? “Hi Xena, fancy meeting you here. Who me? Oh, I am just passing thru, going places and such. Say, where are you heading next?”

Gabrielle chuckles softly and her answer is a hoot from an owl. She settles in for her rest.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – ACROSS THE RIVER - 1 DAY LATER/MORNING

Xena stands on a small hill and takes in the view, trying to remember the image from a lifetime ago. The small hills gently cascade down to the river, only to rise again on the other side and nestle around a small village. Well-rutted dirt road snakes down, crosses the stone bridge and then climbs leisurely toward the village.

XENA

Time to face the past …

Xena, adding quietly, as she points the Argo to the east

XENA

… before my future expires.

Xena, as Argo takes off, musing

XENA

Who knows, it could turn out to be fun.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – DRACO'S CAMP - AFTERNOON

The stench of human misery announces the sad collection of wooden shacks and cages long before they come into view. Coming in from the north to get an overview of the area, Xena realizes that stealth was not needed, as sentries are few and they are only watching the cages and the small trail to the west, toward Amphipolis. She picks a likely building, more solid and better weatherproofed than the rest, which is not saying much. All the windows are open and she sneaks from the back, away from open space and peers inside. Draco lays sprawled on filthy skins covering a straw stuffed pallet, loudly snoring away. The stench of stale mead makes her eyes water. She lifts herself over the sill and slips into the room. She walks over to Draco, draws a dagger and in one smooth motion sits on his back and places the blade against his throat.

XENA

Guess who?

Draco tenses his muscles and prepares to fight when the voice of his visitor penetrates his mead addled brain. He relaxes.

DRACO

I just had a pleasant dream with you on top and me on the bottom. In fact, it was something like this, except I was facing the other way and the knife was not the thing that was pointing …

The blade pierces the skin and a trickle of blood starts to flow.

Draco, resigned

DRACO

I knew I had no chance with you, not now, not then, but don't blame me for trying. What do you want, Xena?

The dagger goes back onto her belt.

XENA

Slaves?

DRACO

The city-states now know better than to let a warlord rise too far. You ruined it for all of us. Gather more than fifty men and you will have an army or two marching on you. There is talk of a major war in the offing. If it happens, good times will return for us and we can raise armies with impunity again. Until that time, I say, keep your head low and survive.

XENA

Some life …

DRACO

I am kept in wine, food, and body slaves. We just sent a raiding party to Potidaea after one of our scouts returned with great news. The drachmas will keep us going well into next year. We even lined up a buyer from Tracus, his clients like them young and innocent.

Xena, sarcastically

XENA

Best of luck with that.

DRACO

Xena, I still tell my men takes of your conquests and sometimes even I can't believe the very tales I am narrating. But now you are a pariah. You are wanted across Greece and being with you is like standing in Ares' temple, screaming blasphemies and desecrating the place. You just know something bad is going to happen. You are cursed by Gods and men, Xena. No one wants to be with you, near you, or around you. I half expect Zeus to start throwing thunderbolts at this hut. You went too far. You desecrated temples for gold, killed their priests, burned and looted entire villages. Dozens of your former lieutenants, the ones not dead that is, are wreaking havoc in the countryside, keeping your name alive and the hate burning. I will keep my slave ring, thank the Gods daily for the fact that I am still alive, and go on hoping that I won't see you again. Leave my life Xena, this time for good.

Xena gets up from his back and leaves thru the window without a word or look back.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – OUTSKIRTS - EVENING

Xena rides into town, ignoring the gathering crowd. The faces are set in anger and the eyes watching her are hard. Her name is passed around in whispers and low conversations. She keeps her head down and makes for the inn. She dismounts with heavy heart, shoulders slumped, her posture one of defeat and fatigued countenance showing plainly. The square is surrounded by lit torches. Several patrons leave thru the front door and join the gathering VILLIGERS behind her. As Xena steps toward the door, it opens and her mother, Cyrene steps out and stops, standing stiffly.

XENA

Hello mother.

CYRENE

Why did you come back?

Xena, simple, heartfelt answer

XENA

I want to come home.

Cyrene's eyes turn cold. Cyrene, icily

CYRENE

You have no home here. You brought shame to this town and to me with your blood lust and depravity. You sent the sons of the good people here to their deaths and destroyed our family. Lyceus paid the price then and Toris is paying it now. And you took away from me the daughter I dearly loved and killed her as surely as if you had driven in the knife yourself. There is nothing good left in you, nothing worth saving. You have no soul.

Cyrene addresses the VILLAGERS. Cyrene, condemning

CYRENE

My only daughter died eleven years ago. Do what you will with this monster.

Xena, accepting her fate, makes a last request

XENA

Mother, I want to rest with Lyceus.

Cyrene starts crying as she turns around and steps into the doorway. The VILLAGERS lift arms filled with rocks and farm implements. Curses rain down and a wave of hatred sweeps the mob. Xena draws her sword and picks up her chakram. Everything stops and complete silence falls, broken only by nature and sounds of domestic animals.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – TOWN SQUARE – LATE EVENING

Gabrielle notices the lack of people as she enters the village and she starts to run. Ahead she can see the VILLAGERS and feels the dark energy filling the town square. She drops everything, stripping her armor and weapons as well. She starts to move thru the VILLIGERS toward the front. She cannot see anything and then silence falls and the crowd goes still. Metal strikes the ground and the mob roars again. Gabrielle bolts ahead, shoving people out of the way, smashing thru the crowd like a raging bull.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – TOWN SQUARE – LATE EVENING

Cyrene steps over the doorsill and closes the door. Xena can hear her mother leaning against the other side of the door, crying. Xena drops her weapons, facing the crowd unarmed. Rocks start to fly, most striking her armor, but few drawing blood from unprotected flesh. Xena closes her eyes. Suddenly there is a commotion in the crowd and Xena snaps her eyes open in time to see someone bulldoze their way thru the VILLIGERS and shove the few in front into a heap on the ground. Gabrielle breaks free of the crowd and runs straight at Xena. She is wearing the same tunic from Potidaea , now stained with sweat and dirt. Her hair is wild and matted, filled with detritus of the forest. Her eyes are bloodshot. She skids to a stop in front of Xena and throws herself in front of the warrior, trying to cover her with as much of her body as possible.

GABRIELLE

So this is your hometown, Xena of Amphipolis?

XENA

Yes?

GABRIELLE

Mine was friendlier.

Xena laughs at the absurdity of the statement and the reality of their current predicament.

The VILLAGERS gather their courage and rocks start to fly again, now hitting Gabrielle who is taking the brunt of the punishment without benefit of armor.

GABRIELLE

I …

Gabrielle's throat suddenly dries out and her voice falters. She never had to speak in public before. The rocks continue to take their toll. Gabrielle starts to coach herself softly, ignoring the impacts. Xena listens in amazement.

GABRIELLE

Come on Gabrielle, it is just you and Xena. There is no one else here and you are going to be a good bard and tell her one of your heroic tales. That's right, just close your eyes, straighten those shoulders, push out that chest and take a deep breath. Now open your eyes and start the tale …

Gabrielle, projecting her voice over the village square

GABRIELLE

I sing of Xena of Amphipolis, hero of Potidaea , who saved the innocent and virtuous and punished the evil and the wicked. The fair young maidens, in the course of their noble work, were beset by scores of armed brigands. All was lost, all hope was gone, and the darkness rejoiced in capturing those souls.

And then Xena dropped from the heavens into their midst. Unarmed, dressed in in light tunic, but with a heart that shinned pure and true, she drove away the darkness.

Xena face is an impassive mask and only her eyes reveal the tumult inside. She hears the inn door creek open and hears her mother step into the opening. The crowd is captivated, no longer hostile, lost in the tale and the magic of Gabrielle's voice.

GABRIELLE

Flesh and bone against metal and armor, the battle raged in the clearing as the Gods themselves admired the courage and bravery of the lone hero fighting against the impossible odds. And they smiled their favor at the heart that would not break and the will that would not bend. Xena alone stood at the end, victorious. She saved the young village girls. She saved my sister. She saved me. Xena saved us all and asked nothing in return. Now I ask you for her life.

Silence. Then the VILLIGERS part and leave a path out of the square. Gabrielle picks up both weapons from the ground, grabs Xena by the hand and leads her to the horse. She then guides them both thru the open space in the crowd. Gabrielle stops at her gear and hands Xena back her weapons. Xena appears to be in shock as she mechanically secures her blades and stands there not reacting to anything. Gabrielle dresses rapidly and stows her gear around her person. She gives one last look at the slowly dissipating VILLIGERS. Her eyes are drawn toward the still figure framed by the inn door who looks at them in great sadness. Then Gabrielle turns and gives Xena a slight push forward and the warrior starts moving along the road out of town.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – ACROSS THE RIVER – NIGHT

Xena comes back to her senses with startled breath. She catches her bearings with quick glances at the terrain. They left the road after the bridge and are now heading into thick forest next to the river. Gabrielle, thou obviously tired, is alert and moving at a fast clip thru the undergrowth that is growing denser with each step. They step into small clearing and Gabrielle looks around and then at Xena for confirmation. She drops the backpack with a relived sigh and takes most of the weapons and armor off, keeping the staff and few knives. Gabrielle digs into the pack and removes the remaining provisions, dividing them in half. They eat in silence.

GABRIELLE

I left home in a hurry. You have an extra tunic I can borrow?

Xena walks over and picks up the bag Gabrielle is carrying.

XENA

What's in here? Rocks?

GABRIELLE

Cured skins for sale, my funds for the trip.

XENA

You going somewhere specific?

GABRIELLE

Was going to Athens to become a bard.

XENA

When you leaving? Was?

Gabrielle, smiling

GABRIELLE

Never. I became a bard on my own.

Xena is getting confused by the direction of the conversation.

XENA

Wait, what? What are you going to do now?

GABRIELLE

Truth. Now, I am going to take a bath and wash my clothes. You going to share the tunic or what?

Xena throws up her hands in defeat and moves over to her saddlebag. She picks a clean, newer and nicer tunic and tosses it to Gabrielle along with soap.

GABRIELLE

If you hear fighting, I am probably getting kidnapped again when washing clothes.

Xena rolls her eyes. Gabrielle giggles and picking up her staff, takes off toward the river.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – ACROSS THE RIVER – NIGHT

Gabrielle comes back toward the camp. The long tunic is hanging low and tight on her body. She stops to cut a bunch of soft, leafy braches, and carries them to the clearing. She picks a spot near a tree, and makes a makeshift bed. She hangs her washed tunic and underwraps then takes out the kit and starts working on armor and weapons. Xena, doing similar tasks on her side of the clearing, grunts her approval, and Gabrielle nods in acknowledgement. Long minutes pass.

XENA

What's next?

GABRIELLE

Draco.

Xena stops what she is doing and looks at Gabrielle.

XENA

Do you understand what's going to happen?

GABRIELLE

We stopped one raid and captured some of his men. He will get more and resume the operation.

XENA

Then you want this? Tell me you want this to happen.

Gabrielle, frowning

GABRIELLE

Why did you fight them at the clearing if you were not going to finish this? What's going on? You did not wait for me, you did not go after Draco, you went to your hometown and … dropped your weapons and waited to be stoned and bludgeoned by a mob? And in the clearing, you buried your armor and weapons … Do you want to die, Xena?

Xena ignores Gabrielle, puts everything away and gets into her bedroll. Gabrielle lets it go, for now. She finishes her tasks in silence and settles down onto her makeshift bed then looks at Xena's back.

GABRIELLE

Yes, I want Draco.

Xena, coldly

XENA

Be careful what you ask for.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – ACROSS THE RIVER – PRE DAWN

Gabrielle stretches limbs gone stiff during the night. Something flies at her and she catches it by reflex. It is a small wooden comb.

XENA

After you tame that mane of yours, I want breakfast.

Gabrielle notices a small fire is now burning and water is heating in small pot.

GABREILLE

The great hunter of Potidaea will tame the wilds of her hair and then bravely risk life and limb in a to-the-death struggle with the killer rabbits of Amphipolis. Nothing is too good for your Majesty, no sacrifice too small, no pain too great …

Gabrielle ducks a small stick flying at her, sticks her tongue out.

GABRIELLE

I saw tracks last night, plenty of game around here. Any requests?

XENA

Edible.

Gabrielle, fondly

GABRIELLE

My kind of customer.

XENA

You can keep the comb.

GABRIELLE

As payments go, I worked for less.

Xena sighs in answer. Gabrielle picks her bow and quiver, secures throwing knives and slips into the forest.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – ACROSS THE RIVER – EARLY MORNING

Gabrielle returns with couple skinned and gutted rabbits. She puts small sticks thru both sets of hind legs to hold them together and then spits both rabbits on a nice smooth sapling she prepared earlier. She rubs some herbs and sets the whole thing over Y-shaped poles on the side of the fire and turns it occasionally to ensure proper cooking. Xena hands her a cup of tea. Gabrielle reaches inside one of larger pouches on her belt and takes out a leaf wrapped package. She shares the berries with Xena.

XENA

You will provide food, you will take care of my armor and Argo, and you will stand with me in fights. You will set and break up the camp. That skin fund of yours is mine. You stay away from my weapons and you stay away from me. I honed my reflexes over the years and don't want you getting anything broken. And I can just tell you are the huggy type. Keep your hands to yourself.

Gabrielle tilts her head and looks teasingly at Xena. She stands up and spreads her arms in embrace, then moves toward Xena as a mischievous smile breaks out on her face. Xena stands up abruptly and then freezes as Gabrielle hugs her. Her arms are hanging straight down and her posture is rigid and tense. Her hands ball into fists. Her breath stops as Gabrielle's arms squeeze her with unexpected force.

GABRIELLE

Thanks for saving my life in Potidaea.

Small rub of Xena's back and then Gabrielle breaks the connection and returns to her place by the fire.

GABRIELLE

No sudden contact, got that. I reserve the right to hug with abandon on a prior notice and with a full forewarning of the impending hug.

Gabrielle grins and Xena lets out a long held breath. Xena regains her balance and control and moves toward the horse.

XENA

Come here.

Gabrielle moves to her side quickly.

XENA

This is how you care for my friend Argo.

 

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – DRACO'S CAMP - AFTERNOON

Nothing has changed since the last time Xena placed her eyes on the reeking pit of misery. The few guards that are out do appear sleepier, as the whole place bakes in the strong sun of the late spring day. Xena considers her options and glances at Gabrielle. Time to find out.

Xena, casually

XENA

Ever kill?

Gabrielle snaps her eyes to Xena. She wonders what new game is this.

Gabrielle, hesitantly

GABRIELLE

… No.

XENA

Would you kill if I asked you?

Gabrielle's eyes open wider and now there is something uneasy in them.

Gabrielle, with more certainty

GABRIELLE

No.

XENA

Would you kill if that was the price to stay with me?

Gabrielle looks at Xena with a stunned expression, confusion and fear on her face and in her eyes. Gabrielle, protesting

GABRIELLE

You don't know what you are asking … By Zeus, Xena …

XENA

What happened to “never”? You made a choice yesterday, made it willingly and with a full knowledge of who and what I was.

Xena walks up to Gabrielle and grabs her chin in her hand. She tilts Gabrielle's head up until their eyes meet. Xena discovers there is no effect and notes to herself that knocking Gabrielle off balance inhibits the strange effect of her eyes.

XENA

You are responsible for your actions. You make a mess, you clean it up. You make a choice, you live with the consequences. This is not Potidaea, this is the real world. You kill to survive and you kill them before they kill you. Open your eyes silly girl and face the harsh truth of life.

Gabrielle reaches out a hand gently and places it on Xena's hand holding her chin.

GABRIELLE

You weapons and you lethal hands are just tools. Your heart decides how you use them. It is a conscious choice to take another life. It probably gets easier for you with each kill, but there is always a choice, even for you. Xena, my heart will not allow me to kill. And I don't want to become like you, where the decision has no more importance attached to it than deciding to have mead or cider with dinner. I chose to stay with you, not to become like you.

XENA

Why? Gods and men curse me, I have no home, no friends and no money. Bounty hunters and polis soldiers count the drachmas in their dreams of my capture. My mother chooses to believe her daughter died long ago rather than face the facts of my existence. My hometown, the people I grew up with, were doing a great job stoning me before you showed up. Look at me. Look at the monster I am. That is your future if you stay. That is what you will become, your good heart notwithstanding. Gabrielle, take the skins, go to Athens, leave me.

Xena drops her hand from Gabrielle's chin, but Gabrielle keeps her hold on that hand.

GABRIELLE

Stop hating yourself Xena. What you are is the hero of the tale I told in Amphipolis. You want to know about my gift? You want to know the truth?

XENA

What?!

GABRIELLE

I see the good in you.

Gabrielle releases Xena's hand and leaves her, allowing the warrior time to compose herself; along with giving Xena private space to think things over. Gabrielle lies on the crest of the hill some distance away and observes the activity below. Xena sits, lost in thought. Then she looks at Gabrielle and the look is not friendly.

XENA

I think it is time for the bard to met the monster, up close and personal. She will be on the way to Athens by evening.

Xena smiles to herself and flexes her hands in anticipation.

XENA

Oh yes, just like old times.

Xena flares her nostrils and can almost smell the blood soon to be spilled. She gets up and heads to where Gabrielle is.

XENA

Plan is, you stand there on that short hill and shoot anything that is not me. You will be in range of the entire camp. Kill them or not, your choice.

Gabrielle puts on a bracer and leather glove, makes sure the quiver is in the right position, and then picks up the short bow in left hand and staff in the right. She circles around the hill and sneaks toward her target, a natural raise in the valley. She lays in the dip just behind it and waits for Xena to start trouble.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – DRACO'S CAMP – AFTERNOON

Xena sneaks to the slave cages and closes on the GUARDS quietly. At least that was the plan. But this is a show for Gabrielle and Xena can't disappoint her audience. Xena lets out a yell as she closes on the first GUARD and takes his head off. The second looses an arm, before she runs him thru. The third starts to advance on her when he gets an arrow in the thigh and goes down. Xena smashes him full strength in the temple with the hilt of the sword in passing. Cages now secure she heads for the barracks shacks, where the remaining men spend the day in mead, games, and comforts of slaves. The THUGS pour out in various stages of sobriety and dress, some just in their underwraps, many in dirty tunics, and few in armor. Most THUGS have either wooden clubs or short swords. The arrows rain and find their unprotected victims in a blitz of hits.

Xena is impressed. She had good archers in her army before, but this bard is exceptional.

XENA

Leave some for me Gabrielle.

She charges into the increasingly hobbling and pierced mass of THUGS, going after the uninjured or armored foes. Two THUGS break free and make a mad dash for Gabrielle.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – DRACO'S CAMP - AFTERNOON

Gabrielle stands on the short raise, staff at her feet, as she fires an arrow every 4-5 seconds. Xena is now dicing her way thru the increasingly incapacitated THUGS. Suddenly two THUGS break free and head for her at a run. Time slows as Gabrielle's training and instincts take over and the arrow that was aimed at the leg shifts to point at the throat. This is not a conscious decision, this is hunting reflex honed over the years with the knowledge that she was going to go out into the world and survive at any cost. Her eyes open wide in horror as she realizes what is happening and at the very last millisecond she pulls the shot to the left, just grazing the THUG's throat. The bow slips from her suddenly wooden fingers as the flow of time returns to normal. Two THUGS close in and knives fly in their direction, injuring and slowing them. In smooth motion Gabrielle picks up the staff, advances on the THUGS and makes short work of them. She then goes back to the bow and resumes her firing, taking far more time and making her shots very carefully.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – DRACO'S CAMP - AFTERNOON

Xena is finishing up the remaining THUGS and making sure each one on the ground is dead. A movement from another hut catches her eye as she watches Draco stumble out.

DRACO

What in Tartarus …?

His eyes close on Gabrielle aiming a bow at him. He violently dodges, but the Gabrielle is better and a shot pierces his right shoulder. Second arrow embeds in his thigh. As he slumps to the ground, he sees a second, this time familiar figure head for him.

Xena closes the distance to Draco.

Draco, spitting out vehemently

DRACO

Curse you Xena, may …

Xena takes his head off then heads for Gabrielle. She stops at the two THUGS lying unconscious, throwing knives sticking out of arms and legs. She raises an eyebrow at the spot on THUGS's throat where the arrow passed and left a mark. She looks at Gabrielle speculatively.

XENA

Come here.

Gabrielle shoulders the bow, picks up the staff and moves to Xena's location.

XENA

You don't miss.

GABRIELLE

Not unless I want to.

Xena, pointing at the wound

XENA

Then this …

GABRIELLE

Was me being true to my heart.

XENA

This time. What about next?

GABRIELLE

I don't regret my skill with the bow. It kept you alive in the fight and evened the odds. I realize that training and reflexes take over in tight spots, and that is the key to long life as a fighter. Being with you, the day I take a life is as inevitable as sunrise and as sure as sunset. I will resist the coming of that day with all my will and pray to the Gods for the strength to survive it when it comes. It will not be an active choice on my part. It will be a weakness of the spirit.

XENA

You tell yourself that.

Xena draws the dagger and slits both unconscious THUGS' throats in quick motion.

Gabrielle watches her with sadness.

Gabrielle, voice colored in sorrow

GABRIELLE

I expected that. You made sure they were all dead before you came here, I saw you. More importantly, you took my choice of not killing and threw it back in my face. You are doing all this on purpose. Why would you hurt me like that?

XENA

“Yes, I want Draco.” Now you know the price. Go free the slaves and meet me at the trail to the west. I will bring Argo around.

GABRIELLE

What about the bodies?

Xena, hiding her discomfort with humor, chuckling

XENA

Wildlife will eat well today.

GABRIELLE

No.

Xena slams the bloody dagger into the nearest dead THUG in frustration.

XENA

I won't tolerate disobedience. I gave you an order. Leave the bodies and go free the slaves.

GABRIELLE

No.

Xena grows angry. Her body is tensed and her hands tighten into fists. She towers over Gabrielle. Time to teach the girl a lesson.

Xena, harshly

XENA

Discipline is the core of the army. I cut you slack because you did not know better before, but now you do. Do your job or suffer your insolence.

Gabrielle, locking eyes with Xena, quietly and forcefully

GABRIELLE

I am not your army. I am your … friend. I care about the things you do and say to others and to me. You want to kill every warlord, thug, bandit, and lowlife in Greece, fine. But you do it the right way. If they surrender or are injured and unable to fight, you let them live. You threat the dead with respect. And most important, you honor and support my decisions.

Xena can't deal with this. She drops her eyes and stalks off to where they left Argo.

Gabrielle sighs and looks at the departing figure, then at the dead bodies. She walks over to the slave cages and frees the SLAVES.

SLAVE #1

Gods bless you brave warrior for saving us.

SLAVE #2

Who do we thank for our freedom?

GABRIELLE

My name is Gabrielle and the warrior is Xena.

The SLAVES fall quiet, uneasy ripples of fear and apprehension spreading thru them.

SLAVE #1

She will sell us the first chance she gets.

GABRIELLE

Xena has changed. She is a hero, like Hercules. You are free.

SLAVE #3

How do you know?

Gabrielle, believing, assuredly

GABRIELLE

People change; she did. She fights for the greater good now. I should know, I fight at her side.

Gabrielle, looking around, questioningly

GABRIELLE

Is that all of you?

SLAVE #2

There are some in the shacks … you know …

Gabrielle, nodding sadly

GABRIELLE

Gather everyone. I saw a wagon or two and horses; go ahead and take everything you can from here and load it up. Amphipolis is half a day's travel to the west, you will be safe there. Oh, and build a funeral pyre for the bodies.

SLAVE #1

Do you need a hand with the bodies?

GABRIELLE

No … no, that is something I have to do alone. Just ready the pyre.

Gabrielle starts with the three THUGS at the cages, grimly stripping the weapons and armor then tossing them into a pile that is picked up by the SLAVES. She then drags the bodies near the growing pile of wood. She moves onto the larger group. Suddenly, Gabrielle doubles over and throws up. She waits for her stomach to settle, then grits her teeth and returns to her sordid task. Then Xena is there, and without a word, starts taking the looted bodies to the pyre.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. AMPHIPOLIS – ACROSS THE RIVER – NIGHT

Gabrielle and Xena sit on opposite sides of the fire, enjoying the meal of fish.

GABRIELLE

So you just catch them, with your bare hands?

Xena, frustrated

XENA

Again, yes. Why did you not just come out and watch me? I told you I was fishing.

GABRIELLE

You were taking a bath.

Xena, seizing the advantage, reasonably

XENA

We are both women.

Gabrielle turns beet red, and averts her eyes, looking anywhere but at Xena.

GABRIELLE

….

Gabrielle, changing the subject

GABRIELLE

I really appreciate you helping with the pyre today. It's what a friend would do for one another.

Xena, admitting quietly

XENA

I think I like having a friend too.

 

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

Return to the Academy