Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“My Friend ”

Episode 3, Part 2

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


TEASER

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – NEAR BION'S CAMP – MORNING

Gabrielle and Toris are following Bion thru the forest, keeping their distance. Toris makes lots of noise crashing thru the undergrowth, while Gabrielle moves like a ghost. She gives him a halt signal and he stops. She moves on ahead and soon leaves him. Silence falls at first, and then after a while, nature resumes its sounds.

Toris sits on the fallen log, holding his head in his hands, and speaks to the trees.

Toris, working thru the thoughts chasing his mind like mice, scurrying every which way

TORIS

I don't understand her anymore. I had her figured out, knew what I had to do. I wanted to pay for the past, make a stand. Let some good come out of all this. No more running, no more wondering aimlessly. This was to be my penance. I pay this price and I can return home. It was all so clear. A hard thing had to be done as a blood obligation has fallen on our family to restore the honor tarnished by actions of one of our own. Xena dies and some of the balance is restored. I felt sure then, now I am lost. Xena, what happened to you? What hold does this Gabrielle have on you? The stories speak of a ruthless warlord, who brooked no disobedience, showed no mercy, was always in full and total control, and punished betrayal in the most disturbing and example setting ways imaginable. Whose fighting prowess and tactical acumen has long passed mortal ability and became legend. And who treated human lives as a resource to be spent or hoarded, all in pursuit of her goals. That is not the woman I met last night. That was a sister I thought lost long ago. Could it really be …?

 

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – BION'S CAMP - MORNING

Under watchful eyes of the ARCHERS, Xena is transferred into a larger cage near the main tent. LIEUTENANTS are gathered around Bion.

Bion, giving instructions to his LIEUTENANTS

BION

Tell the men to keep an arm's distance from the cage at all times. If they have to open the cage, there better be archers backing them up. Better idea, don't open the cage without my permission. Bring the keys to my tent and leave them with me. Put a guard on my tent and a roving guard of your best on me. Double the patrols in the woods. I want half the men to sleep in full armor. Expect an attack. Xena does not surrender and I am not sure why she did. I do know she has a plan. Let's make sure it fails.

Bion, to Xena

BION

Times are tough and drachmas short. You will be sold to Athens, dead or alive. I studied your campaigns and had some of your former soldiers serving with my army in the past. I have a handle on your tricks and how you think. I know I can't anticipate everything you do so let's make it clear right now: cause trouble and you will pay. I lose too many men, you die. Someone attacks me personally, you die. Anything not covered by above, you die.

Bion turns and walks to his tent. LIEUTENANTS and ARCHERS depart to their duties.

Xena moves to the back of the cage and sits down, her back to the bars. She speaks in low voice.

XENA

Nice outfit. Made it yourself?

GABRIELLE

I got grass in places unmentionable.

XENA

They are now.

GABRIELLE

Har har. You know, I was thinking.

XENA

Of leaving me here? Running away and marrying Toris and living happily ever after?

GABRIELLE

No and triple no. He falling for me?

XENA

Like a stone into a well. You would make a cute couple.

Gabrielle, sighing

GABRIELLE

Why does everybody in my life try to marry me off?

Xena, carefully and questioningly

XENA

Do you feel anything for Toris?

GABRIELLE

Not my type. And before you ask, don't. Please.

Xena ponders this.

XENA

Plan?

GABRIELLE

That's my line. But since you asked, I am thinking of something. I have to scout the area first.

XENA

Other warlords?

GABRIELLE

Exactly.

XENA

Then that's the plan. Careful, us warlords be the murdering and treacherous kind.

In answer, Gabrielle extends a hand between the bars and into the cage, pressing three hard objects into Xena's hand.

Xena, without looking down

XENA

Wow Gabrielle, I can't believe it. You gave me your throwing knives. You actually handed one of those over to another living person without first sticking them in. You don't part with those; they are your kids. Gabrielle, you give me the nicest gifts.

Xena, speaking to the knives

XENA

There, there, little ones. Mother still loves you. She just has to go away for a while. Shh, don't cry. It will be all right. You have me now.

Gabrielle is noiselessly laughing so hard the grass is shaking on top of her.

GABRIELLE

Hee. How did you know I named them?

XENA

You named your weapons? I thought I was the only one.

Gabrielle, giggling

GABRIELLE

Can't wait to meet the family.

XENA

You are a bad bard.

GABRIELLE

What I am is growing roots … literally. Time to go.

XENA

If things go wrong …

GABRIELLE

Never.

Gabrielle slowly slithers away as Xena sits starring into a distance.

XENA

…

 

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – NEAR BION'S CAMP – LATE MORNING

Toris sits on the log lost in memories. Suddenly a filthy hand clamps on his mouth and a strong hand presses down on his shoulder, pinning him to the log. Someone smelling strongly of grass, mud, and crushed vegetation leans over him and whispers in his ear.

GABRIELLE

Xena is fine and planning murder. Which with her are one and the same, really. Patrol is nearby, no talking. Take off your boots and follow me. Stay low and keep up.

The presence retreats and he leans down and takes his boots off. He looks up and his jaw drops. Before him stands a … creature of mud, twigs and grass. The humanity of the swamp monster is hinted at by the general body shape and the eyes. Toris reaches a hand towards Gabrielle as if to confirm she is real. He hesitates and pulls it back, dropping it at his side. She smiles, teeth flashing shocking white against the dark and green background, and floats away effortlessly into the woods. She is moving incredibly quickly, passing thru and around obstacles with an ease born of a lifetime. Toris is breathing hard just trying to keep up with her. He realizes that this friend of Xena is no ordinary woman. The conditioning and scouting ability speak volumes. She is a hunter.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP NEAR CRENIDES – AFTERNOON

Toris stumbles into a clearing and drops down, exhausted. Gabrielle is not even breathing hard. She moves to the waterskin, drinks a bit, and then tosses it to Toris. He finishes the rest of it and looks at her. Now there is something else in his gaze that was not there before. He felt it from the moment he first heard her voice and the vision that appeared in the jail ensnared him. Their time together today confirmed it. Now he gives voice to his feelings.

Toris, honestly

TORIS

Gabrielle, I was blind, you truly are special. And beautiful.

Toris looks at her nervously, judging her reaction. He finds it extremely difficult to read her under the camouflage. However, Gabrielle's eyes show promise, so he thinks.

Gabrielle, flashing her teeth again

GABRIELLE

You are sweet.

She moves next to him and crouches as his hope soars. She puts a hand on his arm.

GABRIELLE

I like you, but I don't like you that way. That will not change. Toris, my place is here, at her side.

Toris, professing commitment, pleadingly

TORIS

Gabrielle, give me a chance. I will stay with Xena if that is what you want. I am not so good with the woods stuff, but an extra sword arm is always welcome. I admit, the mead and garrison life has taken its toll, but few months on the road will cure the softness. I will prove myself to you and win you love.

Gabrielle drops a hand from his arm and takes his face in both hands. She looks him straight in the eyes and he is lost completely. Gabrielle, confessing

GABRIELLE

Deep down, in the very core of my being, I am drawn to Xena. It is a compulsion, a madness I can't comprehend or put into words. It scares me. I told her I would never leave her. I don't think she understood the true meaning of that statement. Toris, I know it will always be Xena and I. It goes beyond logic, beyond life, and even beyond death. I have a gift to see things in others. And a curse to see it in myself. And what I see is eternity with her dark soul bound to mine. I am damned for all time, a victim of cruel fate. I did not ask for it, I did not deserve it, but I cannot change it, so I accepted it. And I made a decision. I will not bend to the whims of the Gods and capricious Fates, I will shape my own destiny. Xena is the key. She is a good person who took a wrong step at every turn and is now lost in the darkness. Free her and I free myself. I am sorry Toris, you are not my future. Go home.

Gabrielle is crying. She drops her hands and stands up.

Toris, trying to comprehend what he just heard

TORIS

Does she know any of this?

GABRIELLE

This knowledge is my gift to you and a promise that one day I will return your sister, as she once was.

TORIS

Thank you for being honest. You are right, I don't understand it and I don't want to accept it. But I see the truth in your eyes and I feel it inside. I will wait for you. When you bring my sister back there will be a place and a heart waiting for you. We will have a new future, together. Goodbye Gabrielle.

Toris stands up and they hug. He walks away slowly and keeps glancing back.

Gabrielle looks at departing figure in sadness.

Gabrielle, compassionately

GABRIELLE

The heart sees what it wants, blind to the plainspoken truth. Where, I wonder, is my love, my other half? Will I know right away? Or will I spend the years trying to save Xena and end up with a lifetime of regrets?

 

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – AGAPIOS' CAMP – NIGHT

Few tents are set up for important leaders and supplies. The majority of the men sit by the fires, where they will rest later. Their armor is well kept and their appearance is that of experienced mercenaries. A figure cuts the back of main tent and slips in. It moves swiftly behind the man sitting at the table studying maps and steps in front of him.

Agapios, startled and afraid, remains frozen in the chair. Agapios, warding off evil

AGAPIOS

Begone, Hades' spawn!

GABRIELLE

Hey, us monsters have feelings too, you know.

AGAPIOS

It speaks!

GABRIELLE

How did you become a warlord with such sharpness of mind?

Agapios, regaining his footing, bitingly

AGAPIOS

I started by killing annoying people and then moved onto the sarcastic ones. You qualify for both.

Gabrielle, laughing

GABRIELLE

You pass. Heliodoros sends greetings. I am his chief scout …

Agapios, scoffing into the pause in her speech

AGAPIOS

Heliodoros is getting soft in the head in his old age to recruit women.

GABRIELLE

… and an assassin. I can get very, very, very, very close.

Gabrielle leans forward further with each “very” until she is looking him right in the eyes. Agapios blinks confusedly and then stops breathing. He notices Gabrielle is holding knives in each hand that were not there a sentence ago. He goes very still.

Agapios, holding his life in his hands

AGAPIOS

Heliodoros is a wise man and his taste in company impeccable.

Gabrielle straightens up, knives gone. She flashes her teeth.

Gabrielle, purring

GABRIELLE

He warned me you were a charmer.

Agapios lets go of a held breath and relaxes. This he understands. Agapios, enticingly

AGAPIOS

I would be willing to pay a lot more than him for your … skills.

Gabrielle, casually

GABRIELLE

Loyalty is so underrated.

Agapios, playing the game, smoothly

AGAPIOS

I speak of fortunes of war and the vagaries of the battlefield.

Gabrielle, sounding and appearing interested

GABRIELLE

I hear the sound of drachmas in your voice and I like it. Melts my cold assassin heart, among other things.

AGAPIOS

I wonder what's under all that camouflage.

Gabrielle, seductively

GABRIELLE

That's for me to know and for you to keep wondering.

Gabrielle moves over to his right side.

Gabrielle, all business

GABRIELLE

Touch and tell is later, we got business first.

She points at the map and starts making marks.

GABRIELLE

Bion's camp here, horses here, three patrols here and those are their routes, and ten guards spaced around the camp. There is a gully at southeast point that goes right past one of the outer sentries. That's your entry. Attack at first light. Bion is getting a visit in his tent from me, he will be out of the way.

AGAPIOS

Will your second visit be as memorable?

Gabrielle, teasing and tempting

GABRIELLE

I can promise lots of screaming …

She rapidly moves to the rip in the tent. Gabrielle, over her shoulder, whispering

GABRIELLE

… the good kind.

She disappears into the darkness.

Agapios shakes himself and wonders if it was a dream. The marks on the map hold the answer.

Agapios, happily

AGAPIOS

Even odds she will kill me. Wow, but what a woman!

Agapios gets up and walks to the entry and raises the flap.

Agapios, to GUARDS

AGAPIOS

Get the lieutenants in here now. Spread word, we are moving out.

 

CUT TO:

INT. BION'S CAMP – BION'S TENT – PRE DAWN

Bion is sleeping uneasily in full armor on top of a cot. Gabrielle circles to the head of it, covers his mouth and presses a throwing knife to his throat. Sliver of red appears and races down his neck, under the breastplate.

Gabrielle, whispering in his ear

GABRIELLE

Agapios and Heliodoros are cutting down your patrols and sentries as we speak. Soon they will start on your troops. You can die with them or come with me and live. Hand over the keys if your choice is life.

With shaking hands, Bion removes the keys and hands them over.

BION

Why spare me?

GABRIELLE

Insurance. Come on, we don't have much time, follow me.

Gabrielle grabs the bag with Xena's gear.

GABRIELLE

That's everything?

Bion points at the sword on the short table and Gabrielle adds it to the bag. She leads him out thru the cut in fabric.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – BION'S CAMP – DAWN

Armed MERCENARIES erupt from the ground at SE end of camp and rise from tall grass at north end having crawled close. The resistance is sluggish and chaotic at first, but some order is restored with effort by LIEUTENANTS and a battle rages in earnest. Three GUARDS at Xena's cage stare at each other and then look at the command tent for instructions. No one is coming out and none are forthcoming.

GUARD #1

What now?

GUARD #2

We kill!

GUARD #3

We wait.

GUARD #1

I like the waiting part better. Less traumatic.

GUARD #3

I second that.

GUARD #2

I third that!

GUARD #1

You can't take it back.

GUARD #3

You have committed to an act of violence.

XENA

Hello, I am still alive, isn't someone going to kill me?

GUARD #1

No.

GUARD #2

Yes.

GUARD #3

No.

XENA

Please?

GUARD #1

We need reinforcements.

GUARD #2

We need keys.

GUARD #3

Let's wait for someone to tell us what to do.

GUARD #1 & GUARD #2, shirking responsibility

GUARD #1 & GUARD #2

Yeah.

Xena, smiling

XENA

Bard.

All three GUARDS look at her.

GUARD #1

Bard what?

GUARD #2

Bard where?

GUARD #3

Bard who?

XENA

Bard behind you.

GUARD #2

Like I will fall for that one.

Someone taps him on the right shoulder. He turns automatically and a fist smashes into his jaw. He goes down, lost to consciousness. Gabrielle finishes the other two with her staff.

Xena, philosophically

 

XENA

Men, they don't listen.

Gabrielle opens the locks with haste and hands Xena her gear. Xena dresses and arms quickly. She looks over the camp and then less eco and more human Gabrielle.

XENA

I liked the other outfit. It sort of grew on me.

GABRIELLE

Keep trying. Nice to see you too. Hand over the kids.

Xena chuckles and returns the knives. They move away from the fighting and head towards the tree line in the distance.

Bion, springing ambush

BION

That's them!

Dozen heavily armored and armed MERCENARIES spread out to meet them.

Bion, ordering the MERCENARIES

BION

Kill Xena.

Bion closes in on his target, fresh scar on his neck burning his pride.

BION

Get ready to scream, harlot.

GABRIELLE

Hope your fighting is better than your insults.

Bion roars and charges straight at Gabrielle, intending to bull her over with the shield. She stands her ground, then slides and sweeps his legs. She follows that up, shattering his raised wrist with a quick strike and puts him out with a final blow to the head.

Xena starts on her group. She head kicks the first MERCENARY senseless and chakram cuts the throat of the second. She blocks a mace coming fast and slices deep into the arm holding it. Small sounds of impact alert her to Gabrielle's involvement in the fight. The mercenaries are better than average, but nothing special. And now most of them are injured and easy prey for Xena. She throws the chakram and buries it in the chest of an unlucky MERCENARY, roundhouse kicks another into tomorrow, and switches to beating them up with fist and pommel. Gabrielle throws a few cracked bones and skulls into the pot of pain. She retrieves her knives at the end.

XENA

Bion?

Gabrielle, apologetically

GABRIELLE

Didn't want him directing troops or going after you. Got him out of the way and left tied in the trees. I am sorry, I did not know he had extra reserves. My fault, missed them during scouting.

Xena, waving it off, praising

XENA

You made the right call. You have good instincts and all you need to do is season them with experience. Don't worry, I did not expect that either. The words smart and warlord being used to describe someone are an exception.

Gabrielle, suddenly

GABRIELLE

Drop.

XENA

What?

GABRIELLE

Expected yet unwanted company. Hide.

Xena slides among the bodies and partially covers with one.

Agapios wonders among the ruins of the camp on their side, then he spots Gabrielle and makes right for her. He breaks in a charming smile and his eyes light up as he approaches. Agapios, singing praise

AGAPIOS

If I knew the true face of the goddess that graced my tent last night, I would be building a temple to you …

Agapios drifts off sensing something is wrong.

Gabrielle face is impassive. She steps right in his face and then looks down at the bodies and back at him.

Gabrielle, commanding

GABRIELLE

Bion made a last stand. Report.

Agapios takes in the carnage and looks at her in awe. There is now respect in his eyes and fear in his voice. He has no idea things are about to worsen.

AGAPIOS

Heliodoros is dead, as you promised. We have twenty, maybe thirty men, if any survive the day, from all three armies. Further, just before we left, a scout arrived from Crenides and reported Hesperos marching on the town. That's all the bad news. The good news is that we have all three camps. With the combined supplies and resources, the rebuilding will be simple and quick.

Gabrielle looks at the bodies again.

GABRIELLE

Xena, time to do what you do best.

Xena violently shoves aside the body covering her. Gabrielle moves out of the way and Xena covers the distance to Agapios in few long steps and grabs the front of his armor.

Xena, growling

XENA

Who is in charge?

Agapios, scared stiff, his voice breaking

Agapios

You are.

Xena slams the other fist into his face breaking his nose with a sharp crunch.

XENA

Remember that. Set up a field hospital and gather the men left around it. No one wears armor or weapons. Gabrielle, kill anyone who tries to run.

Gabrielle heads for the forest and disappears into the green foliage with hardly a ripple.

Xena shoves Agapios hard to the ground, putting a little extra into the effort.

XENA

I said now.

Agapios scrambles on all fours before he finds his legs and takes off at unsteady run back towards the camp. He does not look back. Gabrielle comes out of the forest, now with bow and quiver over her shoulder. She tosses her staff to Xena and starts tying up the unconscious MERCENARIES and Bion.

GABRIELLE

Plan?

XENA

We threat the wounded, load them on the wagons and take them to town. Chain the walking ones and take them behind the wagons. Turn the whole mess over to the town. Then we defend it. Is that greater good enough for you?

GABRIELLE

And here I thought you were taking an army out for a bit of looting and pillaging for old times sake.

XENA

That road led to nowhere. It is not one I care to walk again.

Xena looks at Gabrielle as if suddenly realizing something.

Xena, having a revelation

XENA

I took and I took and I took some more, but I always lost everything in the end. It was not until I gave that I received something, something I never expected.

GABRIELLE

What?

XENA

You.

Gabrielle is speechless. Tears form in her eyes and Xena is looking misty too.

XENA

You are my gift.

GABRIELLE

Thank you.

Gabrielle wipes her eyes and clears her throat.

GABRIELLE

Now, all three army camps will be turned over to the town.

XENA

Greater good said nothing about that.

GABRIELLE

The resources will go into building a town instead of an army.

XENA

Do we have to give them everything?

GABRIELLE

Few small items are fine. Say, what about Hesperos?

XENA

He is mean and stupid, a blunt instrument. He was my dog. As a warlord, you need several tools to do your job proper. When a harsh lesson had to be taught, I dropped the leash.

Gabrielle, not liking the image this forms, troubled

GABRIELLE

Oh.

XENA

Hesperos will wait till nightfall and then burn, rape and murder his way across the town. Nothing will be left alive. It has to be dark, increases the terror. And since there were no flames visible last night, he is coming tonight.

Gabrielle voice is hesitant, almost as if she is afraid of an answer.

Gabrielle, uncertain

GABRIELLE

Were they like this before you met them?

Xena, taking a deep breath, deflecting the blame

XENA

I took what was there and nurtured it. Turned a flawed man into a monster in my own image. Gabrielle, you don't need to hear more. The bards' tales are bad enough.

Gabrielle, determined

GABRIELLE

I want to see Hesperos with my own eyes.

XENA

That is not a good idea. He is my responsibility, my burden.

Xena, intrigued now, inquiringly

XENA

Why? Is it that important?

GABRIELLE

It is everything to me. I need to know.

Xena, worried

XENA

You are not making sense. What can be gained by gazing into the darkness?

Gabrielle, believing

GABRIELLE

Hope.

Xena thinks it over. Xena, deciding

XENA

Very well, Hesperos is yours.

They start waking up the prisoners and move them towards the camp.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – BION'S CAMP – MORNING

Few unarmed men, most with bandages are moving slowly among the hitched wagons which are lined with straw. Shackles are gathered in a pile off to the side. Few more are moving among the groaning bodies laid out on the blankets. Water is being heated on the fires and strips of linen are laid out. An ASSISTANT HEALER, himself hurt, is directing the efforts. Xena and Gabrielle approach.

Gabrielle, to Xena

GABRIELLE

I know a fair bit about treating injuries, you want me to get started?

XENA

Go ahead. I will join you shortly.

Xena, to ASSISTANT HEALER

XENA

How bad?

ASSISTANT HEALER

It was a wise decision to set up the hospital right away. We will probably lose one or two, but the rest should pull thru. Travel won't help, but getting them to town increases their chances. And if the tales are right, you are something of a healer yourself. It is good to have experienced extra hands.

Xena nods and heads for Gabrielle, who is cleaning a wound. She hands her some herbs and moves on to start her own work.

Xena, musing

XENA

Killing is easy, healing takes effort. Something Gabrielle would say.

 

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

EXT. CRENIDES – TOWN SQUARE – LATE AFTERNOON

Xena walks in front, carrying Gabrielle's staff. Wagons filled with WOUNDED MERCENARIES creak behind her. CHAINED MERCENARIES follow behind and Gabrielle brings up the rear. The caravan stops in town square and TOWN MILITIA surrounds it. The MERCENARIES out for bounty appear to be gone from town, probably deciding there were easier ways to make drachmas. MILITIA COMMANDER and TOWN ELDER meet Xena at the front, staring at the procession in confusion.

Xena, addressing both men

XENA

Bion and Agapios are captured, Heliodoros is dead. Their armies are gone, those men are all that is left. They are yours.

Both men's jaws drop and there is pure awe in their expressions.

MILITIA COMMANDER, flabbergasted

MILITIA COMMANDER

You defeated three armies singlehanded?!!! The tales are true, you are a not human. We were fools to arrest you.

Pause.

MILITIA COMMANDER, narrowing his eyes

MILITIA COMMANDER

You look slightly different than the Xena we had in jail.

XENA

I am the real Xena, you captured an imposter.

Xena, pointing at Gabrielle

XENA

She defeated the armies, not me. Here.

Xena hands the TOWN ELDER the map.

XENA

Gabrielle marked the location of all three camps, everything in them is yours.

TOWN ELDER, stunned

TOWN ELDER

You are Xena, the dreaded warlord. Why are you helping us?

XENA

I work for greater good now and I am not done helping you. There is another warlord coming, most likely tonight.

Xena gives Gabrielle the signal and the bard takes off.

XENA

Gabrielle will scout Hesperos.

Xena, taking charge

XENA

Secure the prisoners and start getting the defenses ready. We will have war council in the inn shortly.

MILITIA COMMANDER, respectfully

MILITIA COMMANDER

My men are yours to command. Ares has smiled on us today.

TOWN ELDER

Your help is most welcome. Thank the Gods you are on our side.

Xena nods and heads for the inn. The square erupts into activity as wagons are unloaded with the help of TOWNSPEOPLE and wounded moved into homes. The two WARLORDS are taken directly to jail and the rest of MERCENARIES are escorted off.

 

CUT TO:

INT. CRENIDES – INN MAIN ROOM – EVENING

Large map of town is spread on the table around which sit Xena and SENIOR MILITIA COMMNADERS. Food and drink spread out in front of them, mostly consumed. Plans are being made for defense.

XENA

The grasses around town are dry enough. We will light it as they come in, should thin them out. We attack them then. Make sure the archers have pitch and clay pots with embers ready. Clear the townspeople from their homes on the side they enter.

Gabrielle enters and heads for the table. She plops down on the bench across from Xena. A server puts down a plate mystery meat stew, loaf of bread and a pitcher of mead as Gabrielle begins reporting, hands reaching and snaring food with eagerness.

GABRIELLE

Hesperos came from the north, looped east. They left the horses, supplies, and few men in a camp off the road. They are approaching from downwind, just as you said Xena. Right now they are in the tree line, settled in. There are clouds comings in. I figure they will make their move after midnight, should be overcast by then. Fifty seven men, quality leather armor, a mix of maces and clubs, some shields. Eleven bows, but the wielders did not look very proficient.

Gabrielle tucks into her meal as they digest the news.

XENA

Hesperos is all about brute force and terror. Smashing skulls and crushing bones sends the right message in his mind. Gabrielle, head out there when you finish and let me know when they make their move.

Gabrielle starts eating faster.

Xena, speaking to SENIOR MILITIA COMMNADERS

XENA

We know their entry point, you have your orders, now make it happen.

SENIOR MILITIA COMMNADERS rise as one and file out.

XENA

Not touching the mead, I see.

Gabrielle, shuddering

GABRIELLE

No thanks; been drunk, then up for two days without sleep. I even sniff that mead and I will be out till morning.

Xena, tossing her a waterskin

XENA

I figured.

Gabrielle opens the stopper and sniffs the water.

XENA

Gabrielle!

Gabrielle, grinning

GABRIELLE

Last one was fortified with herby goodness.

Xena, laughing

XENA

You imbibed dessert wine. It is meant to be cut with water. And you, young woman, have a sweet tooth.

Gabrielle, sighing happily

GABRIELLE

I am a willing slave to honey. It binds me in sweet chains of amber and gold.

XENA

You have an interesting relationship with food and words.

GABRIELLE

A lot of sweat put the immortal gods
to the forefront of the virtue reaching endeavor.
Long and hard and painful
the road to happiness in the begining.
But when you get there,
it becomes so easy
and pleasant that you forget
all the hardships that preceded .

Xena, gently reminding

XENA

Less bard, more eating.

Gabrielle finishes her meal and takes off. Xena relaxes on the bench after rescuing the lonely pitcher of mead from its abandonment. Her mood improves considerably.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. CRENIDES – OUTSKIRTS – PAST MIDNIGHT

The clouds have rolled in and the visibility is low. Xena waits in silence along with TOWN MILITIA. There is the slightest scuff of boot and then Gabrielle materializes.

GABRIELLE

Halfway thru the field, moving in long line.

The nearest TOWN MILITIA almost jump out of their armor as the sudden voice from a figure they never saw startles them.

TOWN MILITIA #1

Damn woman is a ghost.

TOWN MILITIA #2

Xena always had a reputation for the best.

Xena, whispering loudly

XENA

You are going to have a reputation for broken neck if you don't stay quiet. Archers, get ready.

Xena waits. Xena, commanding

XENA

Now!

TOWN MILITIA ARCHERS light the pitch covered arrowheads and let them fly. A line of MERCENARIES in the tall grass comes into view about ninety yards away. Some of the grass catches fire behind them and so do few of the MERCENARIES. Another group of TOWN MILITIA lights torches and tosses them by hand. Now the fire is all around them and Hesperos' MERCENARIES are starting to panic. Screams of men burning alive fill the air. The rest charge blindly towards the town. Leading them is a bull of a man, with thick neck and the build of a metalsmith. He roars with rage and pain as his clothes catch fire. Gabrielle is waiting for him with her staff, legs set. Hesperos breaks thru the leading edge of the fire and dives at Gabrielle, who dances way from the lounge. He rolls on the ground to stop the flames and then leaps to his feet. His eyes fix on Gabrielle's and they lock. Something passes as Xena watches in fascination. His eyes burn with hatred and they are fixed firmly on the bard. Without breaking her observation of those two, Xena gives orders to TOWN MILITIA.

XENA

Move forward, push them back into the fire.

TOWN MILIA form a line and start driving Hesperos' MERCENARIES back into the fire.

Then Xena realizes something. The bard is looking at Hesperos with compassion and kindness in her eyes. She is smiling warmly. Something is not right.

GABRIELLE

Make a choice.

HESPEROS

Death. Yours.

Gabrielle expression changes to sadness and she attacks with fury and power that leaves Xena shocked. Gabrielle is too fast for Hesperos, scoring multiple strikes, cutting him down with sudden inevitability that is frightening to behold. She leaves him beaten badly on the ground and looks at Xena briefly, lost. Gabrielle is crying as she turns and walks away. Xena stalks Hesperos, who is no longer resisting and has given up. He looks at Xena with blind devotion. Her faithful dog.

Hesperos, worshipfully

HESPEROS

Wanted to avenge you. For you, all for you.

Xena takes his head into her hands. Xena, accepting responsibility

XENA

I know.

Xena breaks his neck with a sudden twist as TOWN MILITIA watch. She lets the body drop as she walks away, following Gabrielle.

 

CUT TO:

INT. CRENIDES – INN – NIGHT

Gabrielle walks into inn and Xena arrives shortly. The innkeeper intercepts both, handing them their keys. They walk up the stairs together and pause at Gabrielle's door. Gabrielle's eyes are haunted.

Gabrielle, exhausted and suffering

GABRIELLE

Deep down, he was a good man. I saw the good in him.

She opens her door, walks in, and closes it without further word, leaving Xena alone.

Xena's room key drops from her hand, the sound jarring in the stillness. A low moan escapes her. She stands there in the company of her thoughts, unable to escape that single sentence. Spoken by Gabrielle, it condemns her with the power of truth.

 

CUT TO:

INT. CRENIDES – INN – DAWN

There is a knock on Gabrielle's door. She throws the covers back, slips on her tunic and pads to the door. She draws her dagger and opens the door slightly, keeping the dagger out of view and a foot on the door as a stopper. Xena is standing there, wearing the same clothes as last night, including armor and weapons. She looks terrible and it goes beyond lack of sleep and exhaustion. She looks vulnerable. Mortal.

Xena, speaking heavily and slowly, hurting

XENA

I need a friend.

Gabrielle swings open the door and lets her in. She removes the weapons and armor and guides Xena to bed. She pushes her onto it and takes Xena's boots off. She then covers her and tucks her in.

Gabrielle, gently and protectively, comforting

GABRIELLE

I am here.

Gabrielle brushes the hair back from Xena's face and sings a lullaby, continuing to stroke the dark hair. Lila's favorite melody relaxes the lines on Xena's face and soothes her soul. Xena closes her eyes and dreamless sleep takes her immediately. Gabrielle breaks contact and brings the chair over to the bed. She sits on it, resuming her watch.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. CRENIDES – OUTSKIRTS – AFTERNOON

Xena and Gabrielle are heading south out of town. The atmosphere has changed. While the TOWNSPEOPLE and TOWN MILITIA are not friendly, they are not hostile either. They appear ambivalent about them, as if not sure what to believe. The CHILDREN are different. They run around them with abandon, staging fights and reenacting heroic deeds.

Gabrielle, happily

GABRIELLE

You have fans.

XENA

Says the woman who defeated three armies and four warlords.

GABRIELLE

Let's try to keep it down to one warlord per week. As fun as four in one day is, we have to think about job security. At this rate we will be done by Solstice and then there will be nothing left to do.

XENA

We?

Gabrielle takes a deep breath and sets her shoulders, then looks at Xena.

Gabrielle, testing the waters

GABRIELLE

We are a team. I distract them with creative insults and enrage them with lurid details of their parents' choice of partners from other species, you punch them out.

Xena laughs and Gabrielle relaxes, knowing another positive step was taken.

Gabrielle, seriously now

GABRIELLE

You are the person in the bards' tales. That is who the people know, that is who the people respond to, and that is who they expect. I will change that. I will write down your adventures and start telling them at the inns.

Xena is struck speechless, her mouth is moving soundlessly. No one cared before. Not this much.

XENA

…

Gabrielle, proudly

GABRIELLE

Many a storyteller calling himself a bard came thru the inn in Potidaea and in all those years, not one had the iota of ability and talent that I have. And I will prove it. But there is a more important reason.

Xena, regaining her voice

XENA

Gabrielle, I … you don't have to do this for me.

Gabrielle, tearfully

GABRIELLE

Those tales continue to haunt you. They open old wounds and bring back a past that no longer exists. You are not that person, I know … I believe that with all my heart. I am your friend and it is in my power to make you happy. Let me. Let me stop the pain.

Xena, gratefully

XENA

Yes.

 

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP – EVENING

Gabrielle and Xena sit across the fire. Xena is working on her weapons; Gabrielle is cleaning both armor sets and her own weapons.

Xena, raising a concern that is hitting her right in the nose, wind bringing the bad news

XENA

There is an issue with baths.

GABRIELLE

You already take one every day. With soap. You are the most pampered warrior I know. At least the cold water is a point in your favor. Still, I say you are a softy.

XENA

Baths and you.

GABRIELLE

At home, we had one per week. Not to mention swimming in the river, except in the winter. Here, I plan to have one every three days.

XENA

You will bathe every single day. Your less than sweet bardic behind will be in the water every day, either by choice or by force. Understand?

Gabrielle sniffs herself. Gabrielle, defiantly

GABRIELLE

I so am sweet.

XENA

Disease was the biggest problem in my army until I learned to prevent it. You get sick, you are a liability to yourself and to me.

GABRIELLE

I am sure thugs and brigands will tremble at my …

Gabrielle, smelling the soap tossed to her

GABRIELLE

… pine scented visage.

XENA

If they were here now, they sure would be trembling.

GABRIELLE

Har har. Fine, let's balance the scales. You take free time away from me, I take free time away from you. I splash daily and you help around the camp so I have time to work on my scrolls. Deal?

XENA

Cooking is not an option.

Gabrielle, looking at her in horror

GABRIELLE

Great Zeus on Olympus, is it not an option, it is a blasphemy to even suggest it. There was that story where you defeated an entire army with your cooking.

Xena, slowly, enunciating the sentences

XENA

I poisoned the meat. On purpose. During the siege. There was no cooking involved, except by the enemy, but that does not count.

Xena, sighing

XENA

I am not going to win here, right? Chores it is, you have a deal.

Gabrielle, cheering loudly

GABRIELLE

Woo hoo, compromise. We may yet survive each other.

Gabrielle gets up and heads for the stream.

 

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

 

 

Return to the Academy