Xena: Warrior Princess

 

“The Price ”

Episode 45

by

Bard

Editor

Bleu Gato

 

 

Xena: Warrior Princess is copyright MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures. All original content of Xena: Warrior Princess 2.0 is copyrighted by the author and is not to be used or modified without permission. All rights reserved.

Contact: bard@xena2.com

Blog: www.xena2.com/blog

 


 

TEASER

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – GRASS FIELD – LATE MORNING

Xena and Gabrielle are crossing a knee-high sea of green. Argo lags behind, pausing to sample the choicer bits of scenery. The early autumn sun does not disappoint – it is a perfect day for travel or fishing.

Suddenly, Gabrielle slows down and tilts her head, as if listening to someone. They resume their pace shortly and Xena knows it won't be long before Gabrielle shares the news. She is partially right.

Gabrielle, grinning

GABRIELLE

Guess who?

Xena, not amused, gruffly

XENA

Can you be more cryptic?

Gabrielle, cheekily

GABRIELLE

Not on purpose. Guess what?

Xena, mock threatening

XENA

Do you know why bards have short lifespans?

GABRIELLE

Guess where?

XENA

Gabrielle …

Gabrielle, going for broke, practically giggling

GABRIELLE

Guess …

The expression on Xena's face indicates that she is one second from chasing the bard and exacting the full confession via nefarious warlord tactics.

Gabrielle, finishing impishly

GABRIELLE

… not.

Fortunately, Athena appears behind them and catches up in few steps, squeezing between them. Placing an arm each on Xena and Gabrielle's shoulders, she brings them together. Gabrielle wraps an arm around the Goddess' waist, the action natural.

Gabrielle, affectionately

GABRIELLE

Missed you, love.

Athena, returning the sentiment

ATHENA

Love you, too. Ready?

Xena, gaining a measure of payback on the bard, sweetly

XENA

Gabrielle, your wife is nice to me for a change; bet she wants something.

Athena laughs and releases Xena, who looks disappointed, her plan backfiring.

ATHENA

Liar.

XENA

Champion.

GABRIELLE

Ambitious, aren't we?

ATHENA

Hitching your wagon to another God?

Xena, to Athena, turning serious

XENA

You know the difference between you and Ares?

Gabrielle, naughtily

GABRIELLE

I very much enjoy that difference.

Xena, under her breath but loud enough for Gabrielle and Athena to hear

XENA

Don't I know it.

Pause.

Xena, sincerely

XENA

Athena, you don't ask for loyalty, you give it. Gabrielle has not told me the details of the mission and it matters not. I go.

Gabrielle, correcting immediately, firmly

GABRIELLE

We go.

Athena, obviously touched by the commitment expressed from both, warmly

ATHENA

Thank you.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – GRASS FIELD – NOON

Xena and Athena are sitting in the grass, in the middle of the field. Next to them, Gabrielle is on sentry duty, with a bow in her hand. She patrols the surroundings, focused on scouting and contributing little to conversation.

Athena, to Xena

ATHENA

An Athenian outpost near the mountains is under siege from the Horde. They are cut off and short on supplies and hope. There are other, powerful players here and the transportation is to a clearing in the forest about five hour's walk from the fort. Be careful, the woods are crawling with the savages. You have to run for it.

Pause.

ATHENA

One more thing: Argo stays, take what you need.

Xena, immediately and categorically

XENA

She goes where I go.

Athena, patiently explaining, reasonably

ATHENA

Xena, the garrison ate the horses, the dogs, the cats, and even the rats.

There is a neigh of outrage from Argo, matched by a look of revulsion on Xena and Gabrielle's faces.

Gabrielle, stopping her circling, wide-eyed, wondering

GABRIELLE

What are they eating now?

Xena, darkly

XENA

Don't ask.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

 

 

 

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

EXT. WILDERNESS – OLD GROWTH FOREST - AFTERNOON

The tiny, open space hardly qualifies for the label of a clearing. It is nothing more than a break in the canopy. The woods are thick with green in all directions and bursting with insect and animal life.

Xena, eyes closed and other senses extended, lies on the ground cover, sword across her midriff. Gabrielle's furry backpack sits next to her. The picture of relaxation she paints is broken by the presence of naked steel.

Xena detects something out of place and slightly shifts her body, hand wrapping around the pommel of her weapon. Sure enough, Gabrielle appears and signals safe. Xena stands up, stretching the stiff muscles and yawning. Xena motions with her head in the direction of the fort and Gabrielle shakes her head negative.

Xena makes a quick decision and picks a different destination.

Xena, hushed

XENA

River.

Approval sought and gotten, Xena grabs the backpack and shoulders it. Xena and Gabrielle leave together and head for the river. They walk slowly and deliberately, keeping their voices low and their steps silent.

Gabrielle, right to the point, curious

GABRIELLE

Horde?

Xena, somberly

XENA

They have no spoken language and communicate in grunts and gestures. Every few years they invade and strip the land bare. Then they disappear, leaving nothing behind. No bodies, no animal carcasses, no survivors; they either take it with them or burn it. Locusts leave more behind.

GABRIELLE

Are they … like us?

Xena, half expecting an argument, trying to forestall an objection, harshly

XENA

Giants are closer to us than those animals. Gabrielle, the Horde exists solely to destroy; whatever humanity they possess, it does not extend to outsiders.

Gabrielle gives Xena a weird look, but keeps her tongue. Xena files the reaction for later, already suspecting that Gabrielle overpowered one and interrogated him during the time she was gone. Now is not the time for disagreements.

Xena, going for another angle and staying on topic, neutrally

XENA

What did the wife say?

Gabrielle, going along with Xena due to their precarious situation, troubled

GABRIELLE

Something about lost, forgotten tribes and ancient Gods; she was vague and I had a feeling she was not supposed to talk about it. She really does not want to interfere. Or can't.

Pause.

Gabrielle, confessing, sadness prominent

GABRIELLE

You know, after that healing, I told her if she did that again I would leave her.

Xena, blindsided by the revelation, raising her voice inadvertently, crying out

XENA

Gabrielle!

Gabrielle, strongly, with conviction

GABRIELLE

We have a pact: normal, village life and adventures on the road. No powers, no ambrosia, and the fate is our own.

Xena, thoughtful, nodding

XENA

It is important to you.

Gabrielle, upset at the very memory it brings, softly

GABRIELLE

She knows, but her heart overrode her mind.

Xena stops and draws Gabrielle into a hug.

Gabrielle, sharing, tearfully

GABRIELLE

It was our first big fight and it hurt. I was physically sick for days and worried you both needlessly. I don't want to repeat that.

Pause.

Xena, caring

XENA

You feel beautifully; I love your heart.

Gabrielle gives Xena a squeeze and they break and resume walking.

Gabrielle, wiping the tears, fondly

GABRIELLE

Later, I apologized and told her that if I was her, I would have done the same. She would not hear of it, took the entire blame upon herself. I love Athena and don't want her to change.

Xena, words coming to her easily, sincerely

XENA

You belong together.

GABRIELLE

Thank you.

Pause.

GABRIELLE

Plan?

XENA

The Horde attack in overwhelming numbers and cutting a swath thru them is suicide; water is the safest option. We find a fallen tree, float it, and let the current do the work. Can you swim with the blood armor?

GABRIELLE

Long enough.

Xena, teasing

XENA

If you throw a bard into the river, does she sink?

GABRIELLE

She becomes a Fury.

XENA

Alecto?

GABRIELLE

Better looking but angrier.

XENA

Snake hair and bloody tears – anything is an improvement.

Gabrielle, grinning

GABRIELLE

That will be you after Athena and I are done with you.

Xena, contritely

XENA

I will be good.

CUT TO:

EXT. HILL FORT – RIVER – DUSK

The hill overlooks the terrain, bordered by fields and surrounded by woods, with the river on one edge. The village spread below and around the fort is an ashen memory as are the fields and orchards. Tall embankment, palisade, and the men behind the walls are the only things keeping the scorched earth from spreading and consuming all. There is no trace of the Horde.

Lower, down by the grassy embankment, a large, leafed tree drifts to the shore and two figures scramble from the water in the dying light of the day. The danger is underscored when howls pierce the silence and three scores of BARBARIANS explode from the nearby forests.

Xena and Gabrielle take off, running for their lives as the stone axes whistle in the air around them. Ahead, the gate opens and ARCHERS sprout on the palisade. Soon, Xena and Gabrielle are in the middle of a fight, the air thick with arrows and weapons.

They barely make it inside and the doors shut behind them. The dull impact of axes on the wood behind them is testament to how close they cut it. Xena and Gabrielle do a quick equipment and wellness check.

Xena, high on adrenaline, exclaiming

XENA

What a rush; I feel alive!

Gabrielle, drolly

GABRIELLE

I will settle for being alive.

Xena, drinking from a waterskin and then passing it to Gabrielle

XENA

Admit it, you loved it.

GABRIELLE

As trills go, that one is at the top, provided we survive. People try to kill you often?

XENA

After a while I stopped taking it personally and enjoyed the experience.

GABRIELLE

And you say I am strange.

Water finished, they look around the place they find themselves in. Soldiers' barracks are to the right, smithy, armory, and storage to the left, and a large, multi-level stone building ahead of them, past an open space. There are SOLDIERS posted on the walls and activity at the blacksmith, plus the SOLDIERS that let them in, but otherwise the inside is empty. Their observation is cut shorty by an OLDER SOLDIER, a grizzled veteran by the look of him.

OLDER SOLDIER, radiating hope, happy

OLDER SOLDIER

Praise the Gods. How far out is the rest of the army?

Gabrielle, matter of fact

GABRIELLE

I'm Gabrielle, Athena's Chosen and this is Xena, the famous hero. We are the reinforcements … the entire reinforcements.

OLDER SOLDIER, crushed, stuttering

OLDER SOLDIER

Y-y-y-you … I … I …

While Xena smirks in the background, Gabrielle takes charge.

GABRIELLE

Xena has troop command; I run the hospital and the fort. What is the situation?

OLDER SOLDIER, trying again, managing to eke out a semblance of sense

OLDER SOLDIER

Two?

Affirmative nod is his answer.

OLDER SOLDIER, composing his bearing, pointing to the stone building

OLDER SOLDIER

Lieutenant Mercer. This way, you need to see something.

Xena, Gabrielle, and Mercer walk side by side.

MERCER

The polemarchos and lochagoi died evacuating the village. We lost a third of the men but we saved everyone. We could do no less.

Xena, sympathetically

XENA

The civilians?

Mercer, affirmatively

MERCER

Soldiers got homesick, families traveled here and stayed.

The three reach the door.

Mercer, opening the door and stepping to the side, emotion raw in his voice

MERCER

This is why we cannot lose; we protect ours.

The large hall is packed to capacity with WOMEN, CHILDREN, and ELDERLY, leaving narrow spaces between the bedding to allow passage. The atmosphere is one of desperation, starvation, and hopelessness. The innocent all look at Xena and Gabrielle and their pleading eyes bore into them. “Save us”, they implore.

Gabrielle, decision made, pledging

GABRIELLE

So do we.

Xena reaches out and touches the bard's arm in support; Gabrielle covers Xena's hand with hers.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT ONE

 

 

 

ACT TWO

FADE IN:

INT. STONE BUILDING – ROOM - NIGHT

Xena and Mercer sit at a table covered in maps. Gabrielle enters, dressed in bloody tunic, and joins them. Xena uncovers and slides a plate of gruel in front of the bard. The congealed, cooled mass has unidentified lumps and chunks of something in it. Gabrielle pays the texture and unappealing nature of her meal no mind, digging into it with relish.

Mercer, apologetically

MERCER

The families come first; the soldiers eat the scraps.

Gabrielle, patting her stomach and smiling reassuringly

GABRIELLE

Hardy peasant stock; important life lesson: when there is food you eat and don't ask what it is. Full belly is a happy belly.

Mercer, laughing

MERCER

Sound advice for a farmer and a soldier.

Xena, seeing exhaustion on Gabrielle's face, concerned

XENA

Rough?

Gabrielle, wearily

GABRIELLE

Typical temple vermin: feckless priests praying while the patients die.

MERCER

The way I heard, by the time you were done, they had a reason to.

Gabrielle, brightening considerably, wickedly

GABRIELLE

Oh yes, I imbued them with faith and spirit of hard work; especially the later. Mercer: put them on the same rations as the soldiers.

MERCER

And if the invoke their status?

Xena, cynically

XENA

Tell them they are welcome to partake in the bounty of the forest creatures and plants. Mention fishing: it feeds the spirit and the body.

Gabrielle, pointing at Xena with a spoon for emphasis

GABRIELLE

What she said.

Mercer, chuckling

MERECER

Might give the Horde stomachache.

GABRIELLE

Hey, eating here.

Xena, tweaking Gabrielle

XENA

Hardy peasant stock not hardy enough?

Gabrielle, pointedly

GABRIELLE

I went by the kitchens and I know what they put in this.

Gabrielle waves a spoon loaded with the grey, gooey, glue-like substance under Xena's nose. A mystery chunk of unknown substance makes a break for it and plops on the table. Mercer and Xena stare at it, unsure whether it is alive or how likely to attack. Unconcerned and oblivious, Gabrielle scoops it up with her other hand and pops it in her mouth; she masticates intently. The other two suddenly feel queasy.

Gabrielle, chewing for a few second and swallowing the escaped bit, then sweetly

GABRIELLE

Xena, do you want to know what is in this delicacy?

MERCER

Zeus have mercy, no!

XENA

There are things that are not spoken of!

GABRIELLE

Thought so. Hospital is sorted; Athena should be back any minute.

Mercer, puzzled

MERCER

When and how did she get here? Why is your wife following you into a war zone?

Gabrielle, mysteriously

GABRIELLE

Chosen's privilege.

XENA

I will say.

GABRIELLE

Shush you.

Mercer, abruptly cognizant of the late hour, standing up, politely

MERCER

I briefed Xena thoroughly and I want to stress again that the situation is dire: food is down to days, arrow supplies are low, and you already know that the wounded outnumber the healthy. We need a miracle. Good night, Chosen. Good night, Xena.

He departs, passing Athena in the entryway and acknowledging her presence with a bow. Athena closes the door and goes over to the table, taking a seat on Gabrielle's lap. The Goddess' matching, bloody tunic speaks of their work in the hospital. Athena gives her wife a smooch in welcome.

XENA

Fair warning: those lips were in that slop.

Gabrielle dips the spoon in the plate and feeds it to Athena, who eats the food promptly and gets a kiss in reward.

Xena, her stomach flipping in revulsion at the thought of eating that gunk, disgusted

XENA

You are both beyond help.

Giggles answer her as Xena heads to her bedroll, spread near the right side of the bed. Her stomach rumbles forlornly she takes off her boots and Gabrielle and Athena realize why Gabrielle's portion was supersized.

Xena, hesitantly

XENA

Gabrielle?

Gabrielle, warmly

GABRIELLE

There is jerky and dried fruit in the backpack.

Xena, relieved

XENA

Praise Athena.

Xena reaches out and drags the furry container to her sleeping area.

Gabrielle, mischievously

GABRIELLE

Oh, I will.

Xena, grumbling as she intently searches for the goodies

XENA

Rats … another sleepless night; figures.

More merry laughter erupts at the table, followed by more sharing and the all-important kisses.

CUT TO:

EXT. HILL FORT – PALISADE - DAWN

The fog blankets the land, hiding the scars on the land and leaving the terrain below the fort in a sea of clouds. A horn sounds in the distance and hundreds of howls answer, somewhere close. They are all around, surrounding the fort.

SOLDIERS pour out of the barracks and run to reinforce the walls. Out of the mist come the BARBARIANS, equipped with makeshift ladder. It begins with a single thud of the first one landing and grows into a constant noise of them, a drumbeat that signifies an all-out attack and bodes ill things for the defenders, already stretched thin.

The BARBARIANS, covered by a barrage of stone axes, scramble up the steps and to the top. They heedlessly throw themselves on the SOLDIERS, knowing that each one occupied is one less stemming the flow from below.

Xena is magnificent. The SOLDIERS give her space to work and she easily holds her ground, sending dead BARBARIANS tumbling to either side and kicking the corpses under her feet clear. Her performance inspires and heartens the SOLDIERS.

Unfortunately, she is only one and the constant stream of BARBARIAN reinforcements is pushing the SOLDIERS closer to the breaking point. There is no respite, no quarter, only the numberless Horde, howling and clambering up the ladders in unceasing numbers.

With the doubt highest among the thinning ranks come the arrows in relief, cutting the BARBARIANS down. Gabrielle is a vision in her blood armor, lit by the rising sun, high atop the stone building, smiting the Horde at an incredible rate. She is not holding back and each missile takes a life, builds morale, and turns the tide. In battle, the mental often beats the physical and when the tipping point happens it affects both sides.

It comes on the heels of one of the most incredible shot Xena and the soldiers have ever witnessed. Three BARBARIANS climb over the same section of the palisade, the ladders close together. Gabrielle switches the bow to horizontal and notches three arrows at once. She draws back farther than normal and releases. Three missiles head straight and true, spreading in flight. They strike and end three BARBARIANS at once, to the astonished gasps of the witnesses.

Gabrielle goes back to the normal shooting position, but the damage is done. The Horde's dreams for the rest of their days will be haunted by the blazing, red woman and the death she cradles in her hands. The BARBARIANS are visibly shocked by the skill and sheer daring of the shot and they fall back, demoralized. The horn makes the withdraw official.

Xena, raising a sword in salute to Gabrielle, starting the cheer

XENA

Athena! Athena!

SOLDIERS, picking up the chant, victoriously

SOLDIERS

Athena! Athena! Athena! Athena! Athena!

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – FOREST – EARLY MORNING

Shrouded by the billowy white, a massive figure turns its head towards the source of the cheer, hidden by the trees and fog, silent by the distance, yet heard nonetheless.

It opens its mouth and roars defiance. The war cry echoes thru the woods gone still, racing past the animal hearts trembling in fear and out into the open, where it soars towards the fort and washes over the walls. The Horde has divine favor too.

CUT TO:

INT. STONE BUILDING – HOSPITAL – NOON

The second floor of the stone structure is converted into hospital. The WOUNDED SOLDIERS and VILLAGERS fill the rooms and cover the floor. Xena walks down the main hallway, threading carefully and looking into rooms as she passes.

Athena, changing a dressing on a YOUNG GIRL, catches Xena's attention and points with her head in the direction of her wife. Xena gives her a smile in thanks and enters the indicated room.

CUT TO:

INT. STONE BUILDING – HOSPITAL SUPPLY ROOM – NOON

Xena looks around the converted supply room. On one side WOMEN are busy boiling strips of linen and surgical tools in water heated over the fireplace as they chat amiably. Gabrielle sits at the table, her healer's kit out, poultices and mixes being prepared and notated in the scroll.

Xena grabs a seat and a welcoming, broad smile greets her. Gabrielle hands her the quill and slides the ink and parchment over, leaving her free to concentrate on the medicine. They work well together.

Xena, troubled

XENA

Why are there civilian patients?

Gabrielle, saddened

GABRIELLE

The Horde ignored the defenders and went after the families. Even dying they would try to kill them. The soldiers had to tackle and fight them hand to hand to protect the innocent, hence the high casualties. What kind of human monsters do that?

Xena, spitting out

XENA

Bastards! Sorry, that is unnatural. Warlords will slaughter entire villages and I am certainly guilty of it but only after securing the location. To go after the weak right from the start, that is not rational; the Horde is wrong in the mind.

GABRIELLE

You heard the thing in the woods this morning?

XENA

Whatever it is, I don't want to meet it. Knowing our luck, we will.

Pause.

Xena, gently

XENA

How is wife doing?

GABRIELLE

It is easy to watch from above, different when you have your hands on them and you feel their life pulse and ebb. I am proud of her.

XENA

She does not have to be here.

GABRIELLE

Life is best shared. Strictly between us: Lila left a void and she struggles to find her new place.

Xena, after a moment of silence, revealing

XENA

… It was Athena's voice that called me back in Thessaly; her love that reached me. For her: anything.

Pause.

Xena, clearly uncomfortable, reluctantly

XENA

This makes what I am about to ask of you even harder.

Gabrielle, accepting the truth and trusting Xena's judgment, matter of fact

GABRIELLE

The hospital is the symptom, the Horde is the affliction, and the fort is stricken and unable to cure itself. What are we going to do?

Xena, with reservations

XENA

You are not going to like it.

Gabrielle, forging ahead, not one to run from responsibility, bravely

GABRIELLE

Plan?

XENA

The grind is not going to work; they bled the fort dry, the toll is already too heavy. I want them to think that the evil spirits walk the woods. Fear is our miracle.

Gabrielle, having guessed the request, hair's breadth from committing

GABRIELLE

I agree: primitive mind breed superstition. Yet … do you know what you are asking?

Xena, tears falling, pain tearing her insides

XENA

Yes, yes I do. Gabrielle, I would rather die than hurt you but this is not about us. This is about them, about that little girl Athena is bandaging outside.

GABRIELLE

You can't?

XENA

I am a warrior, not an assassin.

Pause.

Xena, covering Gabrielle's hand with both of hers, quickly rushing the words out

XENA

Gabrielle, I am sorry, that came out wrong. I want, very; I don't have the skills to carry it out. You have, but not without a cost and that is my guilt to shoulder for asking. Not yours.

Pause.

Xena, looking Gabrielle in the eyes, honestly and openly

XENA

You are at one with the forest and that is what we need. They will spot me coming; not you. Please?

Gabrielle, adding her hand on top of Xena's, courageously sacrificing

GABRIELLE

For you, for Athena, for the innocents.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT TWO

 

 

 

ACT THREE

FADE IN:

INT. STONE BUILDING – HOSPITAL - EARLY EVENING

Xena hangs out near the stairs, waiting for Gabrielle. She does not wait long.

Gabrielle, ribbing

GABRIELLE

Expecting to help with camouflage?

XENA

Whether doing or watching, it is all good.

GABRIELLE

And if neither?

XENA

I take rejection well.

GABRIELLE

As if. If both fail, I rather think you hold out a vague hope of washing me afterwards.

XENA

I see at least three good things coming out of this.

GABRIELLE

You certainly don't give up.

XENA

Only when it comes to you.

GABRIELLE

I like that.

Pause.

GABRIELLE

Tonight …

XENA

Yes!

Gabrielle, concluding, playfully

GABRIELLE

… it's Athena's turn.

Xena, pouting

XENA

Teasing harlot you are.

GABRIELLE

Xena, behave.

Xena, pontificating with a straight face

XENA

It is my learned, warlord opinion that you should limit your outfit to nothing and apply the gunk liberally. Very liberally and with an assistance of experienced hands; I have reputable references. Sadly, I was not in the proper frame of mind to enjoy the Amazon session, but I have high hopes that this one will be exceptional.

Gabrielle, amused

GABRIELLE

Go hump a tree.

XENA

I rather … Athena is behind me, isn't she?

Gabrielle, laughing

GABRIELLE

Yes.

XENA

I will be good.

Athena, walking up between them and throwing her arms around both, guiding

ATHENA

Hold you to it. Let's feast; mmm, gruel!

Xena makes a retching noise and Athena lightly bumps her with her hip. The three laugh as they head downstairs.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – FOREST - NIGHT

A BARBARIAN stands propped against the tree, dozing off; his head drops from time to time and then jerks up a few seconds later. He opens his eyes, heavy with sleep and he is no longer alone. A woman covered head to toe in black substance faces him.

Gabrielle puts a pinch on the BARBARIAN and when he drops, she ties the rope around his ankles. Slowly, she lifts the body and secures it, leaving it hanging at chest level. She melts back into the woods.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – HORDE OUTPOST - NIGHT

A score of BARBARIANS snore by the fire; they lie directly on the ground. Gabrielle threads silently among them, wielding a long stick she picked up. When she gets to the fire, she strikes the burning wood, sending the flaming pieces in all directions.

The BARBARIANS startle awake and panic, trashing around and screaming their primal fear at the natural force unleashed on them. Then Gabrielle drops the improvised staff and starts ducking and weaving with blades in hand and BARBARIANS start dying. Half of them are dead before they realize they are under attack and by that time, Gabrielle is gone, vanished without a trace.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – HORDE MAIN CAMP – 1 HOUR BEFORE DAWN

The BARBARIANS from a fire nearest the outer sentries stand up, stretch, and scratch. One heads for the forest to relive his bladder. Oh his way, the BARBARIAN walks into an object and feels it blindly. Turns out, it is another BARBARIAN, strung up and dead. He turns and blindly runs, only to bump into another body. The commotion brings the other BARBARIANS rushing to his location, torches in hand.

The light reveals a grisly sight. Like a macabre and grotesque decoration, BARBARIANS swing by their ankles among the trees. Something killed the guards watching the camp during the night and left the remains where they would not be missed. Worse, there are no weapon marks on the corpses, just trickles of dried blood from the nose. Whatever is in the woods with them, it is enough to scare the Horde. They hastily abandon their friends and escape back to the camp.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – HORDE MAIN CAMP – MORNING

In the background, the Horde is a dark mass of BARBARIANS, blending together. The assembled Horde watches the SHAMAN move ritually in front of the heavily smoking fire, pausing to toss things that make the flames change color.

The SHAMAN chants among the red clouds, thick and obscuring. Suddenly, a dark shadow appears in the smoke and appears to dance with the SHAMAN, who abruptly falls silent. The smoke flares into life with new addition to the flames and they disappear. Shortly, the smoke parts the SHAMAN lies dead on the ground, his neck broken. There is no trace of anyone or anything around him. The Horde backs in fear, glancing all about, afraid the evil spirit is about to strike one of them next.

CUT TO:

EXT. HILL FORT – PALISADE – AFTERNOON

Xena is on the walls, anxiously scanning the empty, destroyed scenery. Mercer walks up and joins her, making plenty of noise beforehand. Xena is jumpy, barking orders and chewing off heads for slightest transgression. Mercer guesses the source of her stress.

MERCER

No sign of the Horde. That is good, right?

Xena, noncommittally, not taking her eyes from the view

XENA

Maybe.

Pause.

Xena, starting to explain and then drifting off

XENA

She means …

Mercer, putting his hands up,

MERCER

The world; I noticed. Xena, you feel down but there is another worse off. A bit of wisdom from an old man: two carry easier than one.

Xena, suddenly feeling bad for forgetting about the Goddess, exclaiming

XENA

Athena! Thanks.

MERCER

You are welcome.

Xena is gone, thundering down the stairs, on her way to hospital.

CUT TO:

EXT. HILL FORT – RIVER - DAWN

It is a clear, crisp morning. The Horde is back, massing near the river. A huge party of BARBARIANS breaks off and marches for the gate. They are carrying a large tree trunk, no doubt a ram. Axes whistle thru the air, covering their approach. Soon, it impacts with a dull boom and the entire gate shakes; the end is coming.

CUT TO:

EXT. HILL FORT – RIVER - MORNING

One of the BARBARIANS guarding the CHIEFTAIN catches something moving in his peripheral vision and turns towards the lake. A reed is slowly making its way towards the shore. The BARBARIAN who noticed this hits the other one on the arm and points at the object. They both heft their axes and wade into the water.

The water is up to their chests when they reach the reed. Looking at each other and confirming the timing, the BARBARIANS spring into coordinated action. One grabs the impromptu snorkel and covers it. The other gropes under the surface, looking for the body to go with the breathing apparatus.

Gabrielle surfaces between the shore and the BARBARIANS, knife in her teeth and one in her hand. She cuts the throat of the BARBARIAN clutching the reed from behind and when the other one turns, she drives the knife into his throat.

CUT TO:

EXT. HILL FORT – PALISADE – MORNING

Xena jumps down from the wall and runs to a wagon filled with replacement trunks for palisade. She picks up a torch on the way and lights the pitch-soaked contents when she gets there. Muscles straining, she puts her shoulder into the frame and drives with her legs. It creaks in protest and the wheels slowly turn. Inching ahead at first, it builds speed and momentum - a mass of burning wood on a collision course with the gate, pushed relentlessly and single-mindedly towards its destination.

The BARBARIANS deliver the final blow, breaking the crossbar and sending the damaged gate halves inward; with a shout of triumph they pour into the opening. Unfortunately for them, they arrive at the same time as Xena and are run over by a fiery wagon that is rolling at a good clip by then. Xena stops and watches as the massed BARBARIANS are scattered, crushed, and burned. Aided by the slope, the BARBARIANS' bodies are no match for the weight unleashed on them, destroying their ranks. They pressed tightly in an effort to rush the keep once the doors were breached and are now paying for that mistake dearly. And then Xena tears into them.

Behind her come the SOLDIERS, majority forming a construction crew and the rest going outside after her. The builders are dragging carts for impromptu barricade and forming a line to pass the dirt filled baskets to the spaces where they are needed.

With chakram and sword in hand, Xena falls on the demoralized mob of BARBARIANS and starts on the survivors. Many SOLDIERS join her, finding the going easy as the disorganized BARBARIANS are not putting much of a fight, initially. The BARBARIANS give ground for a time, leaving it covered with their own.

Soon, the fighting grows more intense as the BARBARIANS recover. Not even Xena's presence and skill can affect the outcome outside the walls, due to sheer numbers of the enemy. The BARBARIANS are back on the offensive, pushing Xena and the SOLDIERS back.

CUT TO:

EXT. HILL FORT – RIVER - MORNING

The CHIEFTAIN, noticing his guards are missing while his attention was on the fight, looks around in surprise. He finds one BARBARIAN floating face down in the river and the other face up, with a knife sticking out of his throat. Immediately issuing a war cry and lifting the twin axes, he steps towards the river.

CUT TO:

EXT. HILL FORT – GATE – MORNING

There is a loud battle call away from the action and Xena notices that the bulk of the Horde is staying back and not reinforcing; strangely, the BARBARIANS face away from the battle and are looking towards the river. However, the ones storming the keep are more than enough.

XENA

Retreat!

The SOLDIERS break and Xena stays behind to cover their escape. Already, a temporary wall is being erected in the opening and the SOLDIERS scramble on top of it. Since the Horde's attention is divided and the nearest BARBARIANS focus on Xena, ARCHERS lean over the palisade and start raining arrows, covering her withdraw. The enemy is quick to respond and the axes fly again; Xena has to run and leap over the barricade in a hurry, chased by a swarm of deadly missiles. Their goal achieved, the ARCHERS duck behind cover, but not before paying the price as the deadly thrown weapons target and end a few of them.

CUT TO:

EXT. HILL FORT – RIVER - MORNING

Gabrielle breaks the surface and stands up. She fixes her eyes on the CHIEFTAIN as she approaches the shore, still covered head to toe in camouflage. Adding to the confusion, affected by the gift of truth boring into his eyes, the CHIEFTAIN involuntarily backs up a few steps, unsure of what it is he is facing. Is this a woman the shape indicates or the spirit haunting the forest?

When Gabrielle walks out of the water and raises the knife, the spell is broken. With the BARBARIANS not engaged in the fight now watching the developing situation, it is clear to all what the gesture represents – a challenge. This the Horde knows, this the Horde understands, and the CHIEFTAIN accepts it.

CUT TO:

EXT. HILL FORT – GATE – MORNING

A SOLDIER moves up and hands Xena a spear and a shield and she joins the front ranks, right behind the barricade. The formation is tight, nearly shoulder to shoulder. Spears are lowered and set. Xena and the SOLDIERS don't have to wait long.

The BARBARIANS charge screaming over the short wall; they flow like a wave of fur-clad bodies, right into the teeth of prepared defense. Greeting them is a forest of sharp spears and their attack falters on the cold steel. However, the BARBARIANS coming behind stop on top of the impromptu wall and lift their axes.

XENA

First three, kneel!

The SOLDIERS in the mentioned rows take a knee, including Xena.

XENA

Next three, throw!

Spears and axes trade live, with the SOLDIERS, equipped with shields, winning the exchange by a huge margin.

CUT TO:

EXT. HILL FORT – RIVER - MORNING

The CHIEFTAIN easily exceeds Xena in size and the thick furs only increase his presence. The axes he wields are larger than normal; he is a supersized BARBARIAN with a painted face and bones, likely human, threaded into his hair. The CHIEFTAIN roars and the match begins.

Gabrielle feints one way, then another; the CHIEFTAIN does not bite on the first but the second gets him and the bard goes low the other way. She ends up behind the CHIEFTAIN and he tries to follow but his leg gives out and buckles; she got his hamstring, hobbling him. Powerful low kick to CHIEFTAIN's good limb costs him his balance. As the CHIEFTAIN falls, Gabrielle pounces and the last thing he sees is the knife heading for his eye. He lies on the ground twitching and then is still.

The Horde stands stunned, shocked into inaction. Only when the horn sounds is the spell is broken and to the men, the BARBARIANS prostate before Gabrielle. At the same time, the portion of the Horde attacking the fort begins withdrawing, heeding the call. The battle is over.

CUT TO:

EXT. HILL FORT – GATE – MORNING

One of the SOLDIERS up on the walls above updates Xena.

SOLDIER, shouting

SOLDIER

They are retreating to the river!

Xena drops the shield and spear and taking a running start, leaps onto the barricade. She spots Gabrielle in the middle of hundreds of prone bodies, with the CHIEFTAIN's body behind her. The BARBARIANS that she was fighting run up and join the others on the ground, growing the living fur carpet. There is something very strange about this behavior; it appears more akin to deity worship than paying respects to the victor of a duel. Without knowing why, acting purely on her gut, Xena explodes into action, sprinting even before her mind can process all the facts. This is why she survived eleven years on her own and she is proven right once again.

Behind Gabrielle, the unthinkable happens; the dead CHIEFTAIN rises, knife and all. Running all out, Xena realizes by the sudden appearance of tension in Gabrielle's body that the bard knows that the opponent she defeated is not so. Locking her eyes on Gabrielle and noticed in turn, Xena wills understanding of intent; she trusts in their bond. The chakram is unhooked and thrown with everything Xena has, whistling towards its target.

CUT TO:

EXT. HILL FORT – RIVER - MORNING

The chakram rockets to Gabrielle's left side and she catches it with her right hand in midflight as she turns that way. Continuing the motion and the momentum, the arc of the traveling blade takes the CHIEFTAIN's head off in one clean strike.

The headless body collapses and the Horde howls in lament; their greatest warrior and favorite of the Gods killed for the second and final time. The BARBARIANS jump to their feet and run for the forest; in seconds the field of battle is clear.

Xena covers the distance between them in record time, she is there in time to catch the slumping bard. Hugging and supporting by half, she speaks her heart.

Xena, emotionally

XENA

I'm here. Forgive me?

Gabrielle stiffens and half steps back, still in Xena's arms. She tosses the bloody chakram aside and touches Xena's cheek tenderly with her hand. Xena closes her eyes and presses her cheek into the palm.

Abruptly, Gabrielle parts with a sad smile; she walks away, towards the fort. She does not look back. Xena looks crushed by withdraw of affection and rejection of hers.

Athena appears and puts a restraining hand on Xena's shoulder before she can chase down Gabrielle.

Athena, shaking her head, warningly

ATHENA

It's not yours to ask. It is not about your guilt; it's about hers.

Xena does not listen and tries to struggle free.

Athena, arresting her in place, insistently, projecting power

ATHENA

Xena, don't. Gabrielle has wounded to attend and work to distract her. Besides, wife is sending a “want to be alone” vibe. What about you? How you feeling?

Xena, weakly

XENA

I could use a friend.

Athena puts an arm around Xena and guides her to the keep.

Athena, amiably

ATHENA

Let's get you cleaned up and sorted, dear friend.

CUT TO:

EXT. HILL FORT – RIVER – 2 DAYS LATER/LATE MORNING

Xena and Mercer sit near the river, watching the currents. Xena smells rather than hears Gabrielle and turns her head to exchange smiles with the bard. Gabrielle is definitely in need of a wash and a scrub, looking like part of the forest stepped out for a stroll. Xena hands her smoked fish and Gabrielle tears into it. Mercer stands up.

Gabrielle, inhaling the food, contently

GABRIELLE

Tasty. Horde vanished.

Xena, pointedly

XENA

Not from you.

GABRIELLE

Tracked them for a day, they won't be back.

Mercer, gratefully

MERCER

Athens owes you a debt.

Gabrielle, humbly

GABRIELLE

The Chosen serves the Goddess.

Mercer, with great respect, worshipfully intoning

MERCER

Blessed be Athena, Goddess of War and protector of Athens.

GABRIELLE

Exalted be her name.

Mercer, bowing to both, respectfully

MERCER

Xena, the tales that reach here are few but thousands would not do you justice. You have this soldier's sword. Farewell heroes.

XENA & GABRIELLE

Farewell, friend.

Mercer leaves towards the fort, where below it a new village is rising from the ruins.

Gabrielle, sticking her grubby hand out, demanding

GABRIELLE

More.

Xena reaches to the side and produces additional food.

Xena, handing the fish to Gabrielle

XENA

We need to have a talk about your eating habits. Later, when my eyes are not watering from the stench.

Gabrielle staggers and Xena leaps to her feet. Before she realizes what is happening, they are both in the river. Both women come up at the same time, Xena spitting water.

Gabrielle, innocently

GABRIELLE

Better?

Xena, promising darkly

XENA

One day, bard …

Gabrielle playfully dunks Xena and makes for the shore, only to be pulled back. A very vigorous bard scrubbing ensues, among the laughter and splashes.

CUT TO:

EXT. WILDERNESS – CAMP – NIGHT

Gabrielle and Athena are on their sides, facing away from each other in their bedroll. They are close. Blankets cover them up to the neck. Gabrielle is crying and sobs and shivers shake her. Athena tries to draw Gabrielle closer again but the bard fights her, refusing contact.

Athena, her distress showing, tearing up and growing desperate, begging

ATHENA

I am going out of my mind here, please talk to me.

With supreme effort, Gabrielle pulls herself together. Unable to face the pain and worry in Athena's eyes, she lies on her back and stares at the night sky. Slowly her breathing calms and the tremors subside. And then Gabrielle takes the first step, still unable to face her wife.

Gabrielle, trusting and sharing, admitting

GABRIELLE

I'm hurting, love.

Athena leans in and kisses her tenderly. It is about being there and offering reassurance. Now Gabrielle meets her eyes.

Athena, fondly, with hint of sadness

ATHENA

You know, in as long as we are together you provide comfort and I cuddle up to you. You are only vulnerable when we make love. I want more; I want you to trust me completely.

Pause.

Athena, lightly brushing Gabrielle's bangs from her face, with great affection

ATHENA

Let me take you in my arms; let me share your pain. When you are weak, I am your source, your strength. Tell me when you hurt inside. I love you, Gabrielle.

Gabrielle captures Athena's looming face with both hands and returns the kiss, filled with need.

Gabrielle, surrendering, lovingly

GABRIELLE

I love you, too. Please hold me.

Athena takes Gabrielle in her arms and Gabrielle snuggles in. Love is being vulnerable in front of another.

Gabrielle, shakily, unburdening her guilt and shame

GABRIELLE

The Horde, they were different; savage, primitive, yet undeniably human. What happened … what I did was murder men and string them like trophies. Cut them down without a thought, each strike a calculated killing blow. No mercy, no choice, just death and callousness. Me … all on me …

Athena, gently, lovingly

ATHENA

You are good and pure, unmarked by the sins you profess. I forgive you.

In the background, on the other side of the banked fire, Xena is propped up on her elbow, watching the scene from her bedroll. Her face is unreadable; her eyes full of sorrow and regret, bleeding tears.

Athena's eyes find her and lock onto Xena, as she holds her sobbing wife in tight embrace. She gives Xena a small smile, forgiveness and love brightening the night. Xena acknowledges gratefully and shifts to lie on her back. It is not enough to assuage her conscience, but it is a start.

FADE OUT:

THE END

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page