Chapter 2

She pulled up the tan leathers about her waist, fastened her belt to hold them in place and then sat to pull on her boots. As worn as the rest of her leathers they were soft and slipped over her feet and up her calves with ease. She pulled on the long laces on each in turn doing them up. With each boot tied and her pants legs comfortable in them she stamped each foot on the floor out of habit making sure the fit was good and secure. Happy with that she stood and tucked her soft under garment in to the top of her pants then lifted her leather tunic from its place on a wall hook. Opening the leather jacket she slid her arms down the sleeves and adjusted it, lifting the collar from under itself before doing it up at the front. She gave the bottom hem a few sharp tugs before turning to lift her sword from its place on the wall. The half scabbard and metal loops rattled as she lifted it down. Its weight pulled the belt down her left hip slightly, recently unwanted and detested more than ever before. She lifted and adjusted her belt at the front and ran her hands around her waist making sure the belt and sword hung properly and comfortably. With her sword set, she moved and retrieved the single sai from where she’d left it on the top of her bedside drawers. Swiping it from its place she leaned to slide it in to the boot loops.

She made sure the weapon was secure on the boot and then paused as she stood. Looking at the bedside unit she hesitantly reached out a hand and pulled the middle drawer open slowly. It contained only one item. Neatly wrapped in dark layers of silk, the object rest in the drawer. Her hand slowly reached down and lifted the silk wrapped object. She sat on the side of her bed and placed the item on her lap delicately. Her hands rest on its edges. Carefully she began opening the silk layers. As they were peeled away glistening metal was revealed to the sunlight streaming in to her room. Layer after layer was removed. Finally the circular weapon was exposed fully on her lap, the silk hanging over her thighs and knees. Gabrielle ran the fingers of one hand gently around the outer edge of the chakram.

She’d not used the weapon in some years. While totally proficient in its use, and able to devastate almost any opposition with it, she felt some years ago that the time had come to lay it aside. With her reputation secured in the service of Eli and his God, she felt somewhat guilty living off the reputation as the woman with a chakram. Especially as that had been more Xenas idiosyncrasy. Its surface was cold and smooth and so familiar. Breathing in deeply she began to rewrap the weapon to be returned to its place in the drawer.

“You might want to keep that handy.” Said a crystal-clear voice beside her.

Gabrielle looked up, recognising the voice instantly. She could hardly believe what, or to be more precise, who she saw in her room. “Callisto!” She spoke softly deep in surprise.

“Hello Gabrielle.” Callisto’s voice was silky smooth and pleasant on Gabrielles ears. Gabrielles hands rested on the chakram and silk wrap on her lap. “It’s been quite a while hasn’t it.” Callisto tilted her head smiling in sympathy at the sight of the blonde.

Gabrielle’s mind raced as she fought for words to convey how she felt right at that moment. Her facial expression changing almost every second.  “Over twenty years.” Was all she could manage in a hushed voice. Disappointed in herself instantly for not being bolder.

“I suppose for a mortal that is a long time to be alone.” She held a hand up to placate Gabrielle before she could admonish her for the statement. “Which is why I’m here.”

“Explain?” Requested Gabrielle.

“Word has spread of a trader coming from Japan.” Callisto paused to let the significance of her words sink in.

“Lots of traders travel to and from Japan these days. What’s your point?” Asked Gabrielle.

“But how many have come from Japan bearing Xena’s sword and armour?” Remarked Callisto.

Gabrielle inhaled and held her breath and her eyes widened as she mulled over the information. Even she didn’t know the location Xena had chosen to conceal her armour and sword. She grabbed the chakram and placed it on her bed and then stood to face Callisto. “No one knows where Xena hid her sword or her armour. Even I wasn’t told where they were.”

“Believe me Gabrielle. This is real.” Callisto clasped her hands together in front of her. “This trader is a not too far from setting foot on dry land. We all know the name Xena was given after the fall of the old gods.”

“God Killer.” Snorted Gabrielle in derision. “Like she had a choice.”

“Because of that name many, many people have tried to recover her armour ever since hearing of her death.” Explained Callisto. “Especially knowing you returned alone with nothing but her chakram.”

Gabrielle turned and paced as much as her quarters would allow. Bunching a fist and thumping her other hand repeatedly she mumbled to herself. Quickly she spun on her heel to face Callisto once more. “Do you know in which port this trader is set to land?”

“I would think that obvious.” Said Callisto raising an eyebrow at the blonde.

“Piraeus.” Gabrielle could feel her heart starting to race in her chest. “Can you tell me anything else? How long do I have to get to Piraeus?” She sounded almost pleading in her urgency to know more.

Callisto kept her head down and her gaze from under her golden locks. “You have time.” She smiled. “If you leave within the next day or so.”

“A day or so?” Gabrielle dropped her hands to her sides in disbelief and disappointment. “I thought your one true God knew everything!”

Callisto immediately looked uneasy. “Gabrielle. I’m here more of my own volition. Despite Eli’s judgement I’ve come to help you. I have seen you suffer in your loss and heard your prayers.”

“Eli doesn’t want me to know about any of this?” Asked Gabrielle.

“Eli believes that by guiding you towards ending your suffering I would be stealing you of who you know yourself to be.”

“I love Eli, but he has seemingly chosen to ignore my service to him, you and your God.” Her attitude started to change, going from desperate excited to annoyed. “Now I find out he thinks I don’t deserve this information because I may not like what I find out about myself?”

“Eli.” Callisto paused looking for the right words to soothe Gabrielle and explain her compatriots position. “Eli believes that if we answered every prayer with the manifestation of those prayers then people would become reliant on us rather than themselves.”

“Even after everything I’ve done!” Demanded Gabrielle. “After everything Xena did?”

“You must understand Gabrielle a gods power comes from the faith held in them by their disciples. By not giving everyone just what they want because of prayer, in Eli’s eyes, and many others, is a test of faith.” Callisto could see the struggle going on inside Gabrielle.

“So Eli demands faith believing it to be its own reward.” She threw her arms wide in a gesture of disbelief. “And what reward do I get for being so faithful for the rest of my life?” Her voice was starting to raise as she argued her point. “Is my reward entry in to your Gods heaven, where I’m to live for eternity?” Callisto opened her mouth to speak but Gabrielle went on. “An eternity without Xena?” She turned her back on Callisto and buried her face in her hands. “I can’t cope in this life without her, there’s no way I can live for an eternity without her. Heaven or not!” Dramatically she threw her hands to her sides and turned around facing Callisto as if expecting an explanation.

“We cannot always live the way we want Gabrielle. What you ask for in your prayers could potentially unbalance everything our belief system stands for. Even risk condemning those Xena gave her life and soul for.” Despite Gabrielles posturing Callisto remained calm and spoke as smoothly as ever.

“Xena sacrificed everything she was for others in her final moments.” Tears now welled in her eyes, but her voice was still loud and sounded determined. “Not Eli, not you, not your God, any god, has the right to decide if I’m to be denied the one thing which I ask for in my prayers.” She wiped away tears from her cheeks angry that she’d lost so much composure. “Xena was a mortal who gave everything to save others, surely your all powerful, one true God can do something about the souls Xena saved and secure the balance!”

“While Eli does not approve of why I’m here, he does understand. And he has allowed me to assist you in getting what you want.” She watched Gabrielle carefully, making sure her intent was understood.

Gabrielle wiped tears from her face once again. “What?” He voice was now reduced to a small whisper. “What do you mean?”

“Go to Piraeus, obtain Xenas armour and we shall speak again soon after.” Callisto smiled lovingly at Gabrielle. “If all goes well and if you have faith, if only in me, you will not be spending eternity alone.” Still smiling Callisto faded from view to leave Gabrielle slowly pacing in her quarters, wiping her face dry of some remaining tears.

Standing by her bed she looked down now at the chakram. The silk wrap partially covering its shiny surface. Realising some of what Callisto intended to make possible for her, she smiled deeply at the metal weapon and reached to lift it up. In a mixture of laughter and crying she held the chakram high, her heart pounding in her chest. “Xena!” She whispered and then gently clutched the weapon to her chest. After such an unexpected event shaking her, she now knew she was going to be readying herself for the new task set by Callisto regardless of what she may have found to busy herself doing. Or for whom. Despite being many hours away, she also guessed she was not going to sleep easy that night, excitement and trepidation already filling her mind and heart.

 

The following morning Gabrielle walked to the stables with a positive bounce in her step. Over one shoulder her saddle bags, filled with several days provisions, everything from hard tack to salted fish and meats and cheese, all wrapped for her new journey. Even a fire lighting kit of flints and a small amount of combustible oil in its own small box and metal cask. Over the other shoulder several water casks clattered together. Her hands carried her bedroll and the remains of her breakfast prepared for her by the priests. At her waist, swung her sword in its half scabbard and on her right hip, Xenas chakram. Standing by her horse she carefully let the saddle bags and then the water casks fall to the floor. She dumped her bedroll on top of them and took a bite of the bread she was carrying. She turned to see the priest who woke her in the temple now approaching with another two behind him. Both were carrying what she believed looked like travel packs. One each. Taking a second immediate bite of the bread, cramming her mouth almost full, she watched them draw near, the middle priest smiling his morning welcome.

The priest extended his hands to Gabrielle smiling as he did so. “Good morning.”

“Morning Father.” She replied trying to suddenly use a hand to cover her food filled mouth. She chewed a little faster and gulped the food down.

“I understand you had a vision of the Angel Callisto yesterday?” He said sounding pleased for her as she accepted his hands in hers. “Don’t worry, you weren’t spied upon, but the exchange was overheard at one point.”

“In truth Father Avilius, it was a little more than a vision.” Gabrielle smiled. “More a visit.”

“To do with your current issue in faith I presume?”

“Everything to do with faith.” She released her hands from his and looked at the two accompanying priests carrying the travel packs. “What are those?” she asked softly pointing at them.

Father Avilius turned and indicated the packs. “A few things for your journey. Your renewed eagerness tells us you may be gone some time.”

All she could do was smile at the priests holding the packs and to Father Avilius. “I might be, I don’t know how far this task will take me or how long to complete.” She turned and indicated where the priests should put the travel packs for her. “Please.” She then pulled her saddle bags off the ground and hitched them to her saddle proper, making sure they were secure. The casks were thrown over them and secured in turn. She then hefted a travel pack, feeling its weight before deciding where to place it on her horse tack. It wasn’t large enough to be a problem with space, so it was attached to the rear rigging d-ring and tucked behind the cantle. Sure that pack was safely attached she lifted the other. Slightly smaller and lighter. She simply threw its handle over the saddle horn allowing the pack to fall down the side of the horse and saddle. Turning round to face the three priests again she smiled and held the hands of Father Avilius.

“Thank you Father.” She said heartfully thanking him she looked to the others. “Thank you.” She mounted her horse and gripped the reins, turning the horse on the spot slightly. “I’ll return once this task is completed.” Her expression changed and she became solemn for a moment. “I owe you all here so much.”

“Do not thank us Gabrielle, we did what our Lord taught of us. I am glad we were able to help you.” Father Avilius raised his hands. “This place is and always will be a place for you to find shelter if not peace when you need it.”

Only able to bring herself to smile she guided her horse to the gates of the temple grounds and made her first steps on the journey set her by Callisto.

 

Approaching the port entrance Gabrielle forgot just how big some of the Greek cities had become. Spending much of her time in the country side away from much of the new world as it developed. It wasn’t to say she had never been to such places, just not often. And she liked to keep it that way. Though, looking at the sprawling port buildings, she felt she would experience much more places like Piraeus. Around her, going in and out of the port, were people of all trades and social status’. Only a few paid her any attention. Many too engrossed in their own business in the hectic port life. She rolled in her saddle as she watched people interact with one another. The occasional horse rider went by, some armed some merely travellers passing through. As she made to ride through the main gate a soldier stepped forward and stopped her, holding a hand up and blocking her path. Gently she reined in her horse and looked down quizzically at the soldier. Two more stood and watched.

“Yes?” She asked casually. As she looked from the soldier now moving to stand next to her to his fellow soldiers, she noticed them stopping others entering the main gate.

“Entry is ten denarius.” Said the guard in a flat tone. No doubt he and his compatriots had been doing this for some time, and not just today.

Gabrielle looked at the soldier in surprise. “Seriously? How long have people needed to pay to enter here?”

“Several months now. New rules from Rome itself.” Said the guard holding out a small pouch intended to take her money.

Seeing she was not going to get through without either paying or a confrontation, she reached in to a small pouch hanging from her belt and produced the correct money for entrance.

“Your business in Piraeus?” Asked the guard holding the pouch to take her money and pointing at her sword with his other.

“My what?” She had almost dropped her money in to the pouch when she heard the question. In all the years and places she’d travelled she’d never been asked to pay a toll for entry and now she was being asked her reasons for entering.

“Your business in Piraeus? Asked the soldier again, pointing at her sword.

“I’ve been gone for some time. Thought I’d pay a visit, maybe trade a little with some of the ships coming in.” She let her entry payment fall in to the pouch still held up by the soldier.

The soldier gave her a sceptical look but let her pass, nonetheless. She gave the soldier a parting look of curious cynicism. The soldier returned to his two fellows as they stopped and questioned others entering the city port. Turning her eyes forward she entered the port trying to relax in to her saddle once more. Now within the city limits the amount of people seemed to double with every few feet covered by her horses stride. All around her the busy port of Piraeus was humming with life. People were even reluctant to let her through even on horseback, slowing her progress unbelievably. From atop her horse she tried to look for a way out of the main streets crowd and to the main docks.

Dismounting would have been a pointless exercise too, she thought. There were just so many people, she couldn’t remember the last city or port she’d been in that matched the crowds of Piraeus. Looking forward she suddenly realised why the crowds were so dense, she was heading straight for the main market. Just off in the distance ahead were the familiar canvas tops of market stalls. Though to her surprise as she got closer to the market itself the crowds thinned in the middle of the street. The customers mostly flocking to the stalls that lined both sides of the long street. The street leading to where she was now only filled as the patrons no longer had to keep to the sides to shop.

With only a little increase in her pace she decided to watch the flow of people around her as they shopped and traded. A few people turning from stalls found themselves stepping back slightly as she rode by. Her sword clinking at her side and causing a few who were still too close to lean back or receive the tip of the blade across their cheek or chest. She ignored them as she went looking from left to right trying to take it all in. Smoke from incense burners and candles wafted by in a gentle breeze. The smell of the ocean drowned out by the many scented oils and incenses being burned to attract customers to buy them. As she went deeper in to the market the items for sale changed. Not just simple changes ranging from stall to stall, but the entire product range seemed to take a darker tone. As she rode on more and more items intended for various violent or destructive purposes appeared on more and more stalls. She frowned in distaste. No wonder her service to Eli and Callisto and their God had become more and more demanded. Weapons and armour were flooding the stalls. If Piraeus was selling such large amounts of the equipment, and if other ports and cities were matching them, then how were the words and teachings of Eli to ever do any good? She ignored the question. That subject would have to wait. She had more important things to deal with.

Light flashed off a bronze chest plate. The heavy looking cuirass getting her attention. Its simple smooth surface shone brightly as sunlight hit it. Thinking of armour, she thought, Callisto hasn’t told me how to find this trader or the people they’re no doubt bound to meet here in Piraeus. Come on Gabrielle think woman, she berated herself. Inspiration came as sudden as the sunlight reflecting off the bronze cuirass. The port master. Easy, she almost laughed at herself it was that simple. She stopped her horse at one of the many weapons traders and leaned in the saddle. “Excuse me.” The man didn’t hear her. “HEY!” She shouted and waved a hand. “Hey, over here.” The man looked up and eyed her from toe to top.

He leaned forward from behind his stall counter. “Yeah, what can I do you for?” He shouted back. “New sword? Chain mail?” He pointed at her sai sitting in its loops on her boot. “Maybe you’re looking to sell whatever that is?”

Gabrielle looked at her only sai and shook her head. “No, no thank you. I’m looking for the port master!”

Despite looking disappointed at not doing business with her the man pointed in the direction she was headed already. “Straight to the end, right and that will take you straight to the main docks. The port master will be down there, can’t miss him.”

“How come?” She cried back.

“He’ll be the only one not lifting a finger and not covered in dirt.” Sneered the man derisively.

Gabrielle nodded in understanding as she sat upright and went on her way making a few nearby shoppers at another stall move suddenly. She smiled in apology to them and guided her horse in the direction instructed. As she went she tried as best she could to keep to the centre of the street, the crowds of shoppers still thronging about the stall fronts. Only once did she move to the side without choice. A trio of camels were being led in the opposite direction. Gracefully she made her horse side step to allow them to pass, narrowly avoiding squashing several shoppers not paying attention to what was going on around them. Watching the camels be led off through the crowd through which she’d just come herself, she then turned back to finding the port master. The end of the street finally came to view proper ahead of her. A row of low roofed buildings, with overhanging porch rafters signified its end. Making the street appear to be darker than it actually was because of the shade under the porch fronts. They led off left and right. The crowd now somewhat thinner than just behind her in the market. Which she now ignored and took the right as told to.

Rounding the corner the smell of the sea came back to her with a vengeance after the many scents she’d been exposed to in the market. The smells of sea water and fresh fish came to her nose. She breathed them in deeply enjoying the more natural element the docks had over the market. In the right-hand street now buildings on both sides of her provided a little shade giving the street a narrow restrictive feel. Intended to make to the docks at one end and the crowded market at the other feel more open than they were. Casually she rode towards the sunlight at the end of the street. Stopping at the end of the street she gazed about taking in the new surroundings. To her left the main quayside with ships of various sizes and designs floated at their moorings. Crew running back and forth to unload cargos and passengers. In the centre of the scene was a relatively open area, now filled with more crew and passengers milling about or slowly starting to take their leave. Large crates and boxes and sacks of many varied goods were stacked at various points depending on which ship they’d come ashore from. To the right of it all was a series of low roofed warehouses with large wide-open doorways. The dark interiors hidden from view by her current position. At the far end of the warehouses appeared to be what she hoped would be a small office building.

Dismounting her horse slowly she grabbed the reins and made her way through the throngs of people and goods. Looking this way and that as she went in case the port master was out and about doing whatever it was he didn’t do to get dirty in his work. People ignored her for the most part, too busy meeting shipping schedules to worry about another wanderer in the port. Everywhere she looked the people looked nothing like she was expecting of a port master. Even though their attire varied from nation to nation, crew to crew, none looked as though they had the air of arrogance about them to be in charge. Plus, they were all involved in manual labour, something she’d been told the master wouldn’t do. She carried on picking her way through the quayside masses heading for the building adjacent to the warehouses.

Standing now in front of the small building it was indeed offices. The front door and its windows had been opened to let as much of the days heat flow through to keep those inside as cool as possible. She moved to the hitching-rail set to one side. Idly making sure her horses reins were secure enough, she stepped up the small steps to the office and stepped inside slowly, looking about in curiosity. A single figure occupied one side of the room she found herself in. Sat behind a simple wooden desk covered with records and other official paperwork. Some scrolls were neatly rolled and stacked while others were partly unrolled across his desk. His head was down as he looked over records and papers of the port. The fingers on the hands holding the official items were ringed with gold and gems. A long gold necklace hung around his neck and his bald pate reflected a little sunlight.

“Two moments.” He said firmly. Not seeming to care that someone had entered the office.

Gabrielle stood facing his position head on, her thumbs dug in to her belt, feel slightly apart. The man ignored her some more. She tilted her head and examined him. No dirt, fine clothes and jewellery. Stern tone. Definitely the man she needed to speak with. The man carried on looking down at his officialdom. She waited only a little longer before stepping up close to his desk.

“I’m here about a ship.” She enquired.

“Wouldn’t be a port if you weren’t.” The man snorted as though he’d heard the words a thousand times before. “Lots of ships come here all the time. Incoming or out?” He asked when Gabrielle didn’t rise to his first comment.

“Incoming.” She replied flatly. “From Japan.”

She noticed the man pause ever so slightly in his reading of the paperwork. His eyes glancing up very quickly just enough to see her around the waist maybe, no more, then look back down at the papers again. He shifted his body and rest an elbow on the desk. “Nope.” He said.

“Nope, what?” Said Gabrielle.

He looked up from his paperwork. A face with thin lips sat under a long-hooked nose perched under beady eyes peered up at her. He paused again taking in the sight before him. Then he returned to his paperwork. “No ships due from there.”

“A friend of mine has told me otherwise.” Gabrielle informed him, speaking firmly herself now. She looked at the scrolls laying on his desk as she waited for his answer. Fortune, or maybe Callisto, thought Gabrielle, smiled on her now. One of the partly unrolled scrolls showed the intended arrival of an unnamed ship due from the east. No mention of Japan specifically or estimated arrival, but far east was too obvious to be anything but the ship Callisto intended her to find.

Realising the woman was still stood in front of his desk he looked up again. “Then your friend is wrong.” And he ignored her again.

She picked up the scroll and threw it on to the desk in front of him. “My friends are never wrong.” She watched him look at the particular scroll she’d thrown before him. He twitched the fingers on one hand, the rings clicking loudly together enough to be heard. “Let me guess, you have no record of any particular ships due from a particular region and no determined arrival date, you don’t have to notify your superiors of the cargos those ships carry. You get a profit from both captains and buyers of those cargos.”

The port master was now looking at her coldly. She ignored the stare; much more fearsome opponents had instilled less concern in her than this man was trying to right now. “That ship is carrying property of mine. When’s it due?” She tightened her hands on her sword belt anxiously.

“Your property is it?” The man sneered. He sat up slightly and shouted. “Oulixes.”

Gabrielle sighed. She knew full well what was coming next. And sure enough, it was almost comical to her how right she was. Entering through the door behind her came a man, no doubt one of the port masters own hired delinquents to escort her out of the building. She glanced over her right shoulder slightly, just enough to get a glimpse of her opposition. While not a huge man, some she’d met with were purposely the largest their bosses could find, this man was not the smallest of men either. Taller than her by a full head height she gauged, and broad at the shoulders. His heavy steps behind her taking him to her right, no doubt to make it easier for him to throw her through the door behind her on her left. A dagger, long and curved in the blade, stuck out from the top of a sash around his waist. She turned her attention back to the port master and shook her head slowly.

“Don’t do this.” She advised him quietly.

“You think a sword will make me take you seriously!” Said the port master. “Get her out.”

Gabrielle now turned to see Oulixes move toward her. As he reached out one hand to grab her collar Gabrielle reacted. Her right hand came up and smashed the hand away while her left fist was rammed in to Oulixes’ forearm. The man grunted in pain as Gabrielle then rapidly swung around him as he grabbed his arm injured with his good hand. Behind Oulixes now she kicked the sole of a booted foot in to the back of his right knee. Oulixes went to his knees crying out as he did so. Gabrielle knowing that the man wouldn’t be down for too long then kicked him square between his shoulders as if she were kicking a door in. The force sending him face first in to the floor. As he put his good hand to the floor to push himself back up Gabrielle stepped on his fingers pinning his hand down. He winced under her foot. Looking the port master in the eyes Gabrielle twisted her foot on Oulixes’ fingers, pushing down hard as she did so. The man started to cry out in pain, his injured right arm trying to get his hand to lift her booted foot from him. Feeling his fingers scrabbling about over her boot she pressed down as hard as she could, hearing the bones in several fingers crack.

Gabrielle lifted her foot from Oulixes’ hand and stepped over the man as he rolled away from her on the floor, grimacing in pain and holding the broken fingers on his left hand. The port master shifted back in his seat nervously as she approached his desk. She reached down and took the scroll and held it up for him to see.

“When’s the ship due?” She said darkly.

“Barring bad weather and piracy, three days’ time.”

Gabrielle threw the scroll back at him for it to hit him in the chest. “The name?”

The port master shook his head as he fumbled with the scroll. “It has none. But you can’t miss her when she lands. She’ll have a red hull and green sails.”

Gabrielle eyed him angrily before turning to leave. On the floor was Oulixes clutching his ruined hand. He flinched as she squatted down in front of him. “You’ll need to get help splinting those fingers. Make sure the bones are aligned straight before splinting.” She stood and looked down at the pain-stricken man. “A new line of work will help avoid future accidents.” She said and walked out to her horse. Casually she lifted herself in to the saddle and slowly guided her horse away from the office building. Inside the office the port master sat dejected at his desk while Oulixes got to his feet and left still clutching his hand. He didn’t care what pay he was offered; he was in no way prepared to meet that lady again.

Riding back through the market Gabrielle thought about her next step. Staying within the port limits could prove difficult. No doubt the port master had more people on his payroll, and the incoming trader would have their own guards too, especially considering the precious cargo they carried with them. But leaving the port would mean she ran the risk of missing the trader and whomever it was they were destined to meet with in Piraeus.

To be continued in Chapter 3

Back to the Academy