Part 4

The following morning, Orie informed mother that she had been invited to spend the day with a special friend.  Mother was angry that Orie hadn’t consulted her first before agreeing, after all, it’s Saturday and she had plans to do some shopping because the department stores would have good sales.  Mother still drove and had her car.  What Orie couldn’t understand was why mother didn’t just go by herself.  They never got along on the shopping trips anyway.  So what’s the point?

Orie got in her car and followed the directions that were to left for her in her cubby at work.  It was still pretty early, so she had time to let Essie know there was a seminar at work she had to attend.  Once there, it was standing on a lone hill all by itself, Essie’s castle.  The outside was made of stone, and the house was built to resemble the castles seen in history books.  After driving up a sculpted driveway, Orie got out of her car and Essie Sapphira immediately ran out to greet her favorite teacher.  A hug, kiss, and a good morning later, Essie appeared.  “I’m sorry, Essie, I forgot about the seminar at work today.  It’s supposed to be today until five o’clock.”

“It is all right, princess.  I will tag along with you.  It will give me an opportunity to get some work done as well.”  Essie quickly ran inside the house to grab her purse and send Sapphira inside.

==========

They arrived at work with Orie showing up five minutes before the seminar started.  It was an informative seminar, and Orie learned a lot about their theory of child development.  Five o’clock came and it was time to go home.  She used the company phone to call Essie to let her know she was leaving.  Essie, however, had other ideas. 

“Come on up to my office,” Essie replied.

Orie made it to Essie’s office and knocked on the door, but nobody answered so she stuck her head inside to see if anybody was there.  Just as she did that though, she felt a tap on her shoulder.  She turned around to find Essie standing behind her with a smile on her face.  “Hello, princess, are you ready to go home now?”

“Yeah, it’s time for me to go home.  I’ll be here again tomorrow from eight until twelve then that will be it.  Sorry I screwed up the weekend.”

“No apologies necessary, we will just reschedule for another time.”

==========

Once Orie returned home and started preparing supper, she explained to mother that she had attended a seminar at work that she had needed to be there for and another one tomorrow that would finish at twelve.  In reply, mother slapped Orie, to be followed by inconsiderate child before leaving the kitchen.  It would be at these times that Orie would blame daddy. 

The rest of the night was quiet.  Orie took a little time to pay the bills before going to sleep, not sure how much time she would have tomorrow.

==========

Now that the seminar was over, she understood more clearly their theory of child development and what was expected.  She drove home listening to the radio, using that to let her mind wander to a world that only Orie knew.  As soon as she arrived home, the first thing that happened was mother wanting to go shopping.  Orie attempted to explain to mother that the house needed tending to, and not only that, but the laundry needed to be done.  Sunday was the only day that Orie had to get everything done.  Mother didn’t see it that way, however.  Orie should have scheduled her weekend better and not go gallivanting around town with some person whom she was sure was unworthy.  It is all her father’s fault for being too lenient.

“You are, after all, a lady, and ladies always go shopping.  I simply am not sure if I should get this or not.  What do you think?”  The shirt was on a sales rack and not the style her mother usually wore.  Orie just wanted to go home and get the housework done.  She didn’t need or want to go shopping.

“You told me you didn’t need anything.”

“You are no help at all.  You’re not even looking.  I should know better than to ask you. Well, we are doing no good here.  Come come come come come, we will be going home to get what you want, never mind about me, I am only your mother.”

Ruff ruff ruff ruff ruff.  Well, it’s about time you finish.  I know that as soon as I finish work tomorrow the first thing you will do is tell me the house isn’t clean.  I’ll be able to get the house vacuumed tonight, but that will be it. 

==========

The first thing Orie did as soon as she got home was change the sheets on the beds.  Once that was in the laundry, she started on supper.  She was in the mood for a pizza.  She had all the necessary ingredients to make her own.  Once that was made, she left the kitchen to at least vacuum mother’s room.  She returned to the kitchen to check on the pizza, only to find her mother giving her a dirty look.  Orie didn’t know what the problem was.  Laundry was started, bed made how mother wanted her bed made, mother’s room was vacuumed, so what could it be.  Not willing to ask what the problem was, Orie proceeded to make the salad.  Mother left the kitchen in a huff after realizing that Orie wasn’t going to pay any attention to her.  Supper, as usual, was eaten in silence.  The clean-up wasn’t much because Orie did most of it while waiting for the pizza to finish cooking, finishing the vacuuming and the laundry just before she needed to go to bed. 

Orie just sat on her bed not thinking anything, not doing anything, not feeling anything.  She felt lost in that between place, the place between conscious and unconscious thought.  The ringing of the phone brought her out, and she laughed not knowing why; it was only a wrong number.

==========

There was leftover pizza and salad from the night before, so she packed that up securely in a grocery bag, taping it closed with her name on it.  She heard people talking about people stealing their lunch, and she wanted to help prevent that.  With lunch in tow, she headed off for the safety of work. 

After clocking in for the day, she noticed a note in her cubby simply stating to meet Ms. Sebastopol in her office upon finishing for the day, and to escort Essie Sapphira up to her mother as well.  Orie stuffed the note in her pocket. 

Orie noticed that there was a new three-year-old in the classroom who seemed happy and energetic.  Introductions being an important part of teaching, she introduced herself, finding out his name is Brion.  Always bouncing, always making some sort of noise, he seemed to take his first day at preschool pretty well.  She proceeded as usual, noticing that Debbie left her office as soon as she got there.  Part of her wondered about what had happened, while a smaller part assured her that everything was fine.

==========

Debbie needed to find a security guard to bring her up to the top floor, as she didn’t have a key.  Once successfully on the top floor, she was let into Ms. Sebastopol’s office.

“Good morning, Ms. Castro, please sit down.”  Essie never looked up from her desk.

“Good morning, Ms. Sebastopol.  Is there something I can do to help you?”

Essie gathered her paperwork together and put that aside while pulling out a separate file from her desk.  “It is time for evaluations.”

“Evaluations..?  I thought Human Resources sent a spy to observe us for a day until everyone was done.”

“That may have been the way the prior company with which you worked for completed the evaluations.  I like to do things differently.  I have my own way of seeking the necessary information that I need.  Whom you choose to believe or how that is accomplished is your decision.  I will not tell you who or how I find my information.  Am I clear?”

“Yes ma’am.”  The speech made Debbie a little nervous, not knowing whom it could be that was spying on her.  She knew the building was monitored by video surveillance, and wondered if that was how Essie acquired her information.  The transition has just been completed about two months ago, with her evaluation due three months prior to that.  Debbie thought they forgot.  Could it be the new employee?

“Do you understand all that I have explained to you?”  Essie had heard Debbie’s thoughts quite clearly and already knew the answer to that question, but decided to ask anyway out of courtesy. 

Bringing Debbie’s meandering thoughts to a halt, Debbie answered, “Oh yes, I understand.”  She hadn’t heard a thing she was told.

Essie thought a little test was in order.  “Then describe to me the changes that I would like you to make from this point forward.”

Caught red-handed, she asked, “Changes?  Well, the changes have already taken place, ma’am.”

Straightening up fully in her chair and looking Debbie straight in the eye, Essie stated, “I do not appreciate liars, Ms. Castro.  I will only repeat myself one last time before I excuse you.  I suggest that this time you pay attention,” rather forcefully.

Debbie felt it was in her best interest to pay attention to what she was being told.  She always had a good evaluation, and felt that this would be the case now, but was surprised with the results.  She had no idea Ms. Sebastopol knew about anything that went on in her office, now former office, as Debbie’s new desk was to be the front check-in desk.  The list went on from there.  Debbie left the office overwhelmed with what she was told.  She was given instructions to send Cheryl up immediately.  Essie would arrange for security to meet Cheryl at the elevators.

“Good morning, Ms. Richards, please sit down.”  Essie sat, ready for Cheryl. 

Cheryl had noticed the expression on Debbie’s face, and it wasn’t good.  Debbie didn’t say anything other than it’s your turn.  That made Cheryl just a little nervous.

“Ms. Richards, as someone who is an immediate supervisor, do you find your dress suitable?”  Cheryl, as usual, never tucked in her shirt or wore her smock, as they were a pain to do in Cheryl’s mind.

“Ms. Sebastopol, if this is about my dress, I have to get back to the center.”

“Ms. Richards, is that how you always take care of the difficult issues?”

Cheryl was caught in a corner, and didn’t know how to get out.  “I don’t understand.”

“That seems to be a pattern with you.”  Essie went on to explain everything that was documented about Cheryl’s behavior.  Cheryl was, from that point forward, to be properly dressed and behave accordingly if she would like to keep her position.

Never had Cheryl had such a difficult time with her evaluations.  She had always been able to joke her way through the process.  Not this time, and she wondered if the boss was even human.  She returned to find Debbie moving out of her office to take a seat at the front check-in desk.  This was going to be an interesting year.

Orie brought Essie Sapphira up to Essie’s office as instructed.  After a brief chat, Orie left for home.

==========

Over the next few days various employees from the Children’s Center were sent up to the office, only to come back confused, angry, or crying.  Orie saw everyone go and come back and wondered what was going on.  Nobody said anything.  She knew it wasn’t her business, so she just never asked, in a way happy it wasn’t her.

Orie was feeling comfortable at the center, working herself into a comfortable niche.  It was time for Halloween, and it was decided that instead of having Halloween they would have a harvest celebration.  The theme was harvest, and Orie decided to be the farmer’s daughter.  It was a good time the night of the celebration, with a cakewalk, games set up in the classrooms, and the school age kids’ version of a haunted house, or more appropriately labeled, the haunted cornfield.  Orie was busy in the three-year-olds’ room, sitting on the bottom of a large decorated box hanging toys to the magnetic hook that was lowered into the box.  The party winding down, Mary thought it was time to start cleaning up her room.  Once everything was taken down, cleaned up, and put away, everyone went home. 

Orie went to sleep that night very happy.

==========

Once Essie finished the evaluations, she left on a business trip, having several before the week of Thanksgiving.  Monday, the week of Thanksgiving, the center had their annual Family Feast.  Each family was invited to attend a special lunch that day to have a Thanksgiving style meal with their children and friends.  Everything seemed to stop moving as Essie walked into the room.  Once she entered, the world continued to turn.  Orie, David, and Emmett decided that it was best to divide the room into three, assigning a section to each teacher, being sure everybody had food for their section.  Sapphira sat in Orie’s section with her mother, finding herself enjoying Essie’s company once again.  Once lunch was done and the younger kids down for a nap, Essie and Sapphira left for the top floor, telling Orie to come up before going home.  The school age kids had a field trip scheduled the following day to an observatory, and Orie was excited because it would not only be her first field trip, it would also prove to herself and everyone that she was capable of doing this. 

She met Essie in her office as instructed, finding Essie working at her desk.  “Good evening, princess, please make yourself comfortable.  I will only be a moment.”  Essie gathered all of the paperwork, brought up her brief case, put the paperwork inside, and stood up from the desk.

Orie watched Essie, noticing something.  “Essie, if you don’t mind me saying so, you look exhausted.  Why don’t you head on home?  Someone can take over for a day, right?  Tomorrow you can stay home and finish up the paperwork, if you don’t have anymore meetings.”

“That is the princess I know and love, and you have an excellent suggestion.  You are right, I am very tired.  If I do not get a decent night of sleep, strange things happen during the night that I would like to prevent happening.”  Essie gathered her coat and briefcase and motioned everyone out the door, locking her door behind them. 

Orie walked in the direction of her car to get going home.  Car started, she proceeded out of the parking lot, noticing Essie behind her waiting.  Orie made it home, and Essie parked alongside the road.  Essie quickly left her car to speak to Orie before she went in the house.  “Princess, thank you for staying with us, I will always be grateful for everything that you offer to me.  I will see you soon.”

==========

The following day, Orie left for the field trip, and the regional director paid a visit to the center.  The regional director was struck by the odd changes, as the first thing he noted was that unless it was absolutely necessary, Debbie was to stay at the front check-in desk.  The regional director needed to speak with Essie about these changes, as they are highly irregular.  The regional director was only able to talk to the assistant, who would relay the message.  A message was relayed back to the regional director that Essie would meet to discuss the changes the following day.  Having no other choice, the appointment was accepted.

Orie had a good time on the field trip.  Everyone had put on their shirt, designating them as kids from the Children’s Center of Arcadia, Inc.  Once everyone was on board the bus, Orie had a feeling that things would be all right, and they were.  The kids were spectacular, the trip was educational . . . everything was just perfect.  It was a good day.  Orie came home that day in a good mood, feeling proud of herself.  She was proud of herself.

==========

Orie got home a little later than usual, having stopped to fill up on gas.  “Hi, Mom, I’m home!  I’ll get supper started as soon as I change clothes.”

“I had a very interesting conversation today with Peggy.  She told me she was at this fabulous seafood restaurant and she overheard the conversation.  It seems that she was shocked to find out that you are miserable being here with me.  Of course, I was just as shocked as she was to find this out.  I won’t even argue with you if it’s true, but what I will argue with you is if you are that miserable, you could just leave you know,” mother said calmly.

“Mother, I would like nothing better than to just leave you here, but I can’t.”

“Well, if you had a better job then I bet you could find a place without any problem.”

“It’s not about the job . . . it’s not even about the money.”

“Then what would the problem be?”  How is it that mother can stay calm through this conversation?

“The problem would be you, mother.  Would you know whom to call when your precious TV doesn’t work?  Would you know how to pay the bills?  Would you even know how to balance your own checkbook?  Even if you could do all of those things, mother, there is just one other problem.  You see, while you were out shopping during daddy’s stay in the hospital, he made me promise to take care of you.  It was his last wish for us to be together.”  After hearing all of that, mother left the room without returning for supper. 

==========

On Wednesday, Regis, the Regional Director, was led to the top floor, where he and Essie had an extended and heated discussion about the Children’s Center.  Regis was willing to compromise, but the problem, though, was that Essie never compromised.  Regis tried his best to change Essie’s mind, but it was all in vain.  Essie reminded Regis that all of the changes were not against company policy, and that he was just against it because it was not him who had made the changes.

==========

The center would be closed on Thanksgiving, but open on Friday.  Orie was scheduled to work that day, and didn’t mind.  Mother attempted a guilt trip before Orie left for work, telling her that her poor mother would have to go shopping all by herself because her own daughter obviously didn’t care about her own poor mother.  Orie’s only reply, “Okay, have fun.”

Orie needed some time to spend with someone who at least attempted to understand her, and that meant Essie.  She followed the same instructions Essie had given her a while back and found the house, feeling immediately relaxed when she saw it.  Orie walked up to the front door and rang the doorbell.

Maril answered the door.  “Oh, hello, Orie, we were not expecting you today, perhaps if you would come back another day.”

Orie felt like she had just been hit unexpectedly.  “Oh, all right, I’ll just come back later, then.  I’m sorry to disturb . . .”

“Maril, I will speak with you later, now go and get us something to drink.”  Orie heard Essie’s voice and knew that tone well.  Essie wasn’t happy.

Knowing it would be against etiquette to have a discussion with a guest present, Maril had no other choice; she left to do as instructed. 

“Princess, hello, come on in, you are always welcome here in our home.  Never be afraid to come when you wish.”  Essie escorted Orie through the house . . . or castle.  The walls as smooth as marble, gold trimming around the doorways, a staircase with cherry handrails and iron balusters leading up to the second floor.  Orie removed her shoes as soon as she walked into the house, which had a wooden floor throughout.  The design on the floor intrigued Orie, and she had to ask.  “Essie, what kind of floor is that?”

“It is called Dubeau Parquet with natural Maple.”  Essie smiled at Orie as she led her to the back of the house, where a covered patio, of sorts, made entirely of glass, was located. 

“The squares are so small . . . it’s a nice floor.  What’s this room?”

“This is where I come to relax, to unwind after a long day.  It is my sunroom.”

“Another window room . . .” Orie walked over to the window, she guessed, and looked outside. 

Essie stood behind her as she said, “I cannot take a room that does not have a window.  I always feel as if I am in a cage and cannot escape.  Does it cause you to feel uncomfortable?”

 “No, it doesn’t.  I just wondered, with all windows, that’s all.”  Orie let out a long breath and leaned against Essie, who took a hold of her, and seemed to melt into Essie.  Essie saw Maril bring in the refreshments.  You will leave now, old woman, and leave us be.

Princess, you must understand that I only have the best of intentions in mind.  She is no good for you.  She is weak, and a peasant at that.  It would do you no good to be with her.

That is for me to decide.  And from now on, anytime she wishes to come she will be allowed in.  There is no argument. 

Maril left the room knowing there was nothing else to say.

Essie and Maril had been communicating with each other telepathically, unbeknownst to Orie, who was still holding on.  She felt safe and loved here without mother and her ridiculous worldview.  She felt better now, and standing up straight but looking at the floor, she said, “I’m sorry, Essie, I don’t mean to be a rotten guest.  I just needed a break, you know.  My life may seem simple to most, but I don’t know, it just seems to be anything but.  I can never make her happy, never.  I took a psychology class in college and I remember the teacher said that instead of working so hard to make somebody else happy, work on making myself happy instead.  The only thing wrong with that is I don’t know.  I don’t know what makes me happy.  I know the kids do, I know that much.  But apart from that, I don’t know.  It seems that I have always done what mommy told me.  She’s never said please, she’s never said thank you . . . she’s never said I love you.”  She looked up at Essie, and continued, “I’m sorry.  I don’t mean to dump all of this on you.  You’re my only friend.”

Essie finally heard what she had been waiting for . . . the last of the pain leaving the small and tender heart that Essie desperately wanted to have and to hold.  What Maril said didn’t matter to Essie.  She was never going back to Arcadia.  It had been over twenty years now, and realized after high school that she would never return.  She was stuck on this planet.  On the outside she looked just like them, but on the inside that was where things were different, not just body chemistry, but in all things that made her Essie Diamonté of Sebastopol, future Queen of Arcadia.  It was only because of the promise of backing a scientific experiment that she was able to influence the doctor who had performed the in vitro fertilization to keep things quiet.  Essie held Orie even tighter after hearing all of that, not knowing what else to do.

After Orie started showing signs of being happy again, Essie gave her a tour of her house.  Essie had never told Orie that she had instructed the architects to keep all of the counters and cupboards low, so that a very petite woman would be able to reach them without a problem.  The architects thought it was strange, but did as they were told.  The house was nothing like any Orie had ever seen before, not that she looked at any houses. 

Orie stayed for a while, enjoying Essie’s comfort and company.  She had to go home at some point, and even though she didn’t want to go back, she knew she had to do that now.  Orie left feeling whole again, and Essie feeling loved.

==========

Time seemed to go by slowly now that the holiday season was in full swing.  Orie was told to watch out for Brion, who would suddenly stop whatever he was doing and yell words that three-year-olds shouldn’t know how to say.  Orie had been playing with Justin in the block area when Brion came by and pulled Orie’s hair.  Orie excused herself from Justin and went to find Brion, who ran out of the room.  He couldn’t go anywhere because it was a secured floor; so instead, he ran back and forth and was stopped by Ms. Mary.  Ms. Mary only pointed toward the classroom and Brion instantly started screaming, crying, and hitting the wall.  Cheryl, who had always thought she had better things to do, and felt it would be better that the teachers learned how to deal with situations such as this, and would normally leave it to the teachers to deal with, heard the commotion.  One of the changes that Cheryl had to make, however, was assisting the teachers in any difficult situation that may arise.  Cheryl took Brion’s hand and took him along with her until he calmed down, apologizing later to both Mary and Orie.  The rest of the day proceeded normally after that incident.

Brion’s behavior seemed to escalate over time, with various reports of hitting, screaming, and yelling curse words.  His mother had been notified, stating that she wasn’t going to do anything because it was not her duty to change his behavior.  It was against company policy to move him to a room that he was not prepared for, so the only recourse was to warn his mother that if she was not willing to take part in changing his behavior, then she will need to find another means of taking care of her son.

==========

It was Christmas week, and Orie was on vacation.  She had left work early the Friday before for an appointment with a doctor to talk about eye surgery.  Her mother was more than willing to put her daughter under the knife.  The surgery was scheduled for Monday morning.  She would be spending her entire vacation feeling like an invalid. 

Essie wanted to talk to Orie about spending a few days together, and she had sent her assistant down to the Children’s Center to bring Orie up to the top floor during her lunch break.  The assistant came back to notify Essie that Orie had been scheduled to take a vacation and would not return until the week after New Year’s.  Essie became worried about this latest news, and felt she would need to speak to her as soon as she returned home.

==========

It was a successful surgery, an outpatient procedure, so Orie was allowed to go home immediately afterwards.  All Orie wanted to do was lie in bed until the next morning. 

Essie called Orie without any answer.  Trying one last time, she stopped at Orie’s house to speak to her.  Mother was very blunt in her answer, telling Essie that Orie no longer wished to speak to her.  Essie knew better, but not being able to do anything about it at the moment, her only choice was to leave.

==========

It was a very long vacation for Orie, at the same time feeling it was too short.  With the mix of spending time with mother and the surgeries, it was a toss up of which was worse.  She was never so happy to be able to return to work.  As usual, she walked in the front to walk around to the elevator, and was stopped by a security guard that led her to Essie’s elevator.  Once on the top floor, she hurried to Essie’s office. 

Poking her head inside, she asked, “Did you want something really quick?  I only have five minutes before I clock in.”

“Be sure to be here at your lunch hour.  I have something that I would like to discuss with you.”

“I’ll be here.”  Orie ran down the hall to the stairway, thinking it would be a little quicker.  She made it with little time to spare. 

Everybody welcomed Orie back to work.  It felt good to be back.  Orie had been watching Brion, who wasn’t the lively child anymore.  Now he just sulked in the corner of the room.  Orie thought it was such a drastic change in behavior.  The other teachers didn’t seem to be worried about it, so Orie just went about her day.  It was time for her lunch, so as instructed, she left to see Essie.  Arriving in her office, she noticed that her assistant was missing. 

Poking her head inside the door, she asked, “Essie, is it okay for me to come in?”

“Of course, princess, come and make yourself comfortable.  I have lunch for us.”  Essie stood from behind her desk to lead Orie to a round table already set with food.  “Before we begin eating, I feel the need to let you know what happened two weeks ago.  I attempted to call you to talk to you about something that I had planned for us.  No one answered the phone.  I left the office a little earlier than usual to drop by your house.  Your mother answered the door only to tell me that you no longer wish to spend time with me.”

“I had eye surgery, and she didn’t tell me anything about that.”

“Eye surgery?  Why didn’t you tell me?”  Essie leaned closer to look at Orie’s eyes.  With her advanced vision, she would be able to tell of any change in Orie’s eyes, and there was.  “I see something changed.  What did they do?”

“They replaced the lens that Mother Nature gave me with artificial ones, making my vision clearer.  It was the best option, he said.”

“You are fully recovered, then?”  Essie motioned for Orie to begin eating.

“Oh yeah, I’m fine now, although at the time I wasn’t feeling like myself.  Mother never told me you dropped by.  I shouldn’t be surprised though.”

“As long as you are all right, that is what I am concerned about.”

“Have you heard from your mother?”

“My mother...?  My mother has not contacted me for over twenty years.  I have never seen my sisters either since the time I left.”

“How sad, I’m sorry about that.  You must miss them an awful lot.”

“You cannot miss what do not know.  And although I appreciate your sentiment, I have to say I do not miss them.” 

It was a nice lunch shared between two people.  Orie had to leave, promising she would stop by with Essie Sapphira before going home.

==========

Orie was in the midst of setting up an activity for the kids in the afternoon, thinking that with Valentine’s on the way, they could create their own cupid.  While doing that, though, one of the older boys got angry enough to throw a chair in her direction.  She turned to find out who called her and ducked just in time to avoid being hit by the chair.  The boy was instantaneously brought to the director’s attention, and his mother was immediately called.  Orie let them know that she needed a couple minutes to pull herself together before going back.  She went into the break room, drank a cup of water, deep breath in and out, and returned to work. 

It was time for her to go home, but first she needed to get Essie Sapphira ready to go up to her mother.  While in the privacy of the elevator, Essie Sapphira hugged Orie.  Once on the top floor, Essie Sapphira ran ahead to her mother’s office, she couldn’t wait to tell her mother what happened.

“Sapphira, I do appreciate your attitude in seeing me again, but, may I remind you not to run inside the building.”  Essie turned to hold her daughter and give her a peck on the cheek.  Essie Sapphira used that opportunity to tell her mother what had happened.

“Orie, what happened in the center this afternoon?”  Essie asked out of concern.

“Nothing that wasn’t unexpected . . . why . .?”

“You expect to be hurt by a child throwing a chair?”  Essie was surprised with Orie’s answer.

 “I don’t expect to, no, but he always gives David a hard time anyway.  David wasn’t there today, so Emmett had him.  I’m not sure what happened in-between that point . . .  I heard arguing then heard someone call my name, and I ducked.”

“What do you mean you do not know what happened?”

“We didn’t have that many kids today.  I told Emmett I was going to go to the cupboard to get some art supplies.  I asked him if he was okay, and he nodded.  I brought some kids with me to relieve him somewhat.  I thought he had things under control.”

“What happened after that?”

“I’m going to tell you to listen to the rumor mill for that answer.”

Essie had to think after that answer, not expecting it.  “All right, then, I will send my assistant to find out the aftermath of that instance.  Is David the only one that is able to control this child?”

“He seems to be the only one.  I haven’t spent that much time with him, so I can’t tell.”

“Why is it you have not spent that much time with this child?”

“We let the kids pick who they want to be with.  This particular child likes David.”

“You are all right, though.”

“Oh yeah, I’m fine, don’t worry.  I just took a couple minutes before I went back to the room.  After that, everything seemed to be fine.”

Essie nodded her head up and down, making a mental note to be sure her assistant would find out the truth about what happened from the very beginning to the end.  She would not have her family harmed in any way.  “Are you ready to go home?”

“Oh yeah, I’m ready.  I’ll see you tomorrow, Essie, goodnight.”

“Halt!”  Orie immediately froze in place, wondering what she had done wrong.  “We will walk out together.”  Essie got up from her desk to gather her belongings. 

They walked out of the building together.  Essie always made sure to park close to Orie, always safeguarding her princess.

==========

Once Essie and Essie Sapphira arrived home, they noticed Maril behaving strangely, walking back and forth in the hall muttering nonsense.  Maril barely acknowledged their presence, and was startled that Essie and Sapphira were now home.  “Maril, is there something wrong with your health or well being?”

“No, not me necessarily . . .”

“No not me necessarily would mean exactly what, Maril?”

“How about we have a nice supper instead?”

“Maril, I demand an answer.”

“Well, it is too soon to tell, but if you must know, your mother contacted me to say it is time to return home.  Her health is failing and needs us to return immediately.”

“She waits for over twenty years to finally contact us to tell us we must return to Arcadia because her health is failing.  Is that all she had to say?”

“Yes, that is all she had to say.”

“You are lying to me again, Maril.  We will not discuss that issue now.  The issue we must discuss is exactly how ill she is that she demands my immediate return.”

“She mentioned that the doctors say she does not have much time.  You must go through the ceremony before her passing to be fully recognized by Acardia.”

“This is a fine time to finally tell me that you have been communicating with my mother regularly, and only because you need me to return home.”  Essie turned her back on Maril and went upstairs to her bedroom.  Not knowing what to do, what to say, or what to feel, she sat on her bed with her face in her hands, letting the tears run.  She heard Sapphira run downstairs to eat supper.  Essie didn’t know if she should eat or not, seeing as how her stomach was tied in knots with emotions. 

==========

The entire company seemed to be walking on eggshells the following day; Orie could feel it as soon as she walked inside the building.  She was sure it would pass though. 

Brion’s attitude seemed to have changed, seeming to have reverted to the Brion Orie had first seen that first day, bouncy and lively.  She wanted to get to know Brion better, and thought a nice way to do that would be to read a story with him.  Sitting Brion next to her on the couch in the room, she started reading the book, when suddenly, he slapped her.  It wasn’t that it hurt . . . it was the shock of the action.  Ms. Mary witnessed the action and urged Orie to fill out a report on the incident.  If Brion’s mother felt nothing needed to be done because he was an innocent little angel, maybe documentation would work to change her mind.

After work, Essie Sapphira followed Orie to the elevator, and not understanding why, Orie asked, “Essie Sapphira, am I supposed to bring you up tonight?”

“Yeah, mom told me this morning.”

“Alright, then, come on and we’ll go on up to the tippy top floor.”  Orie’s day had been a good day.  The boy who had caused the incident had apologized to everyone, but something told Orie that the only reason he apologized was because he had to, not because he understood why he needed to apologize.

Orie was saying goodnight to Essie Sapphira at the office door when suddenly the door was fully opened.  “You leave me without saying goodnight?”

“Your door was closed.”

“Princess, come inside, of all the people to understand me, you would be the one I would most enjoy interrupting me.”

Orie sat down in the chair, dropped her bag on the floor, and watched Essie as she just sat there at the desk, looking at it with what Orie thought was anger.  “If you want to be alone, I can go?”  What’s wrong with Essie?  Nothing happened to her daughter, and if I believe the rumors, the company is doing very well.  “Is Maril sick?”

Essie suddenly stood from behind her desk and leaned against the glass wall behind her, watching the glass get wet.  “No.  Maril is not sick at all.  Maril has been in constant communication with mother.  She did not even tell me, she did not even offer me to say hello to my mother.  Maril said it was all on mother’s order that I was supposed to stay apart from her.  How could she have done such a thing?  Maril betrayed me.  After all these years Maril betrayed me.”

Not knowing what else to do, Orie motioned for Essie Saphhira to wait on the couch in the office.  She then walked around to hold Essie, finally having an opportunity to offer Essie the love and support that Essie had given her tenfold.  Essie fell against Orie, causing her to lose her balance only temporarily before regaining it again, still holding on.  Essie just cried, seeming to have the need to cry.  It wouldn’t be right to put a time on it, so Orie just held on without noting how long she held Essie.  Once the crying stopped, she stood and held Orie, squeezing her as tight as she could.  It didn’t matter though, because this was trust, and trust was the foundation of love, and Orie understood that.

Orie left Essie to look in her bag.  She always carried Kleenex with her, and grabbing that, she returned to Essie, dabbing here and there to dry her face.  Essie’s hand came up at that moment and held Orie’s hand.  Essie kissed her hand and held it against her chest.  “There is something else that I must tell you.  Not here though, we must go somewhere where we will be able to talk, and the best place for that would be my house.  Call your mother to tell her you will be late, and then follow me home.”  Orie nodded and did what Essie asked her to do. 

As usual, mother started an argument, but Orie finished it in a hurry by hanging up the telephone.  She knew she would pay for it later, but Essie needed her.  Mother could wait.

==========

Once they were at Essie’s house, Essie Sapphira put her backpack away then immediately went downstairs. 

Essie led Orie upstairs to her bedroom.  “Orie, I need you to listen very carefully to me.  When I am done will be the time to ask questions.”  Essie stopped to gather her thoughts.  “Orie, I am not of this Earth.  I am Essie Diamonté of Sebastopol, future Queen of Arcadia.  It is a planet many light-years away from this planet.  Over twenty years ago, my mother sent me away to learn how to be among the peasants.  I have never spoken to my mother in all these years.  I found out last night that Maril has heard from my mother and that we are to return home immediately because of my mother’s failing health.  All this time I have felt as if I am garbage to be thrown away, never to be seen again.  Maril has been in constant contact with mother, and she never told me.  She had me believing that my own mother never wanted me.  Suddenly, Maril tells me that we are to return home right away because of mother’s failing health.  How am I supposed to feel?”  Essie finished angrily.

“Essie, forgetting for just a moment about the alien from a different planet thing, Maril has been your mother for as long as you can remember.  She raised you, she took care of you . . . she loved you as if you were her own daughter.  This woman suddenly calls her to say to come on home because the time is right to come home.  How would you feel?  Hurt, betrayed, confused, whatever emotion it is, pick one, any one, and I am sure it’s the right one.  Actually, there is no such thing as the right emotion or the wrong emotion.  Emotions aren’t graded like that.  My mother tells me I’m too emotional, that I’m a cry baby and I should be more like a lady.  The fact of the matter is, though, that I don’t know how to be anyone else other than Orie.  Do you know how to be anyone else other than Essie Diamonté of Sebastopol, future Queen of Arcadia?”

“I do not know how to be anyone else other than who I am at this moment, because for most of my life I have lived here.  I have always wanted to go home, and now that I have the opportunity to do so, I am too frightened.”

“Essie, it will be okay.  Your daughter will be there right alongside of you, asking you if she can paint the moon.”

“Paint the moon?”

“She didn’t tell you about the observatory?”

“She couldn’t stop telling me about the observatory.  ‘Mother, I would really like to go on the field trip that would help me to better understand the galaxy in which we live in.’  That was when I knew that my daughter wanted to go on that field trip.  She would tell me a different story for days, finally stopping after New Year’s Day.”

“What was your first clue?”  Orie was curious.

“‘Mother’ and the full explanation I would normally have to remind her to give me . . .”

“Oh, okay, and she wanted to paint the moon because the guide that gave us the tour told us that despite popular theory, the moon is not made out of green cheese.  That was her inspiration.”

 “I wanted to ask you if you would come with me.  Come with me back home to Arcadia.  I do not believe earthlings would have a problem on Arcadia.  Our atmospheres are very similar, from what I have studied.  Please come with me, my golden princess.”

“Could I?”

“Yes you could.  I want to so badly take you away from the beast that calls herself your mother.  Ever since I can remember, even back then, she tormented you and beat you.  With me you will find love and acceptance.”

“But what about your company, and how will I explain this to mom?”

“Stuart will take charge of the company, and tell your mother you will be going on an adventure of a lifetime.”

“Okay, well, I better get going.  Will we be back tomorrow?”

“Yes, we will be back tomorrow.  I am not planning on leaving for a few more days.”

“Goodnight, I will see you tomorrow.”  Orie left the house to go home.  Orie wanted to talk to her mother, at long last letting everything be known. 

==========

“Where have you been?  A proper lady always comes home on time.”

“I told you where I would be, mother, and if you weren’t listening then fuck you.”

“How dare you speak to me in such a manner?”

“I finally have the freedom to tell you to fuck off, mommy dearest.  All these years, ever since I was a kid, you never told me you were proud of me.  You never told me I love you.  You expect me to give you respect, but you never earned respect.”

“I am your mother, and I will wash your mouth out with soap right this minute.”

“No you won’t, mother, and I use that term loosely.  And one more thing, you cannot demand respect, you have to earn it.  You never did.  You always went on about a proper lady does this and a proper lady does that.  Fuck that proper lady bullshit, because I am sick and tired of hearing it.”

“I knew that friend of yours was wrong for you.  I did everything right, so it was nothing I did.”

Orie left for her bedroom, locking the door behind her.  She heard her mother struggling to open the door, but Orie didn’t pay any attention to it.  She just packed some clothes she thought she would need.  As soon as she stepped out of her room, Orie’s cheeks were pinched hard and slapped seemingly endlessly.  She got as far as the kitchen when her mother began again.  Orie reached for the closest thing she could grab, which was an iron skillet, and her mother hit that instead.  Orie used the distraction to get away from her mother.  “Now you will know what I had to do all these years that you never appreciated, Mommy dearest,” she said while holding the doorknob.

“You are nothing but an ungrateful child who is no child of mine.  I cannot even imagine that you are my daughter.  Get out of this house and stay out!”

“My pleasure, mommy dearest; and by the way, you better pay the bills tonight, they will be due next week, and you know how slow the post office is.  I cannot even imagine that you are my mother.”  Orie slammed the door and got in her car, throwing her bag in the back seat and returning to Essie’s house.

==========

Once at Essie’s house, Orie was content on just staying in the driveway.  She had just adjusted her seat to be comfortable when suddenly, her door opened. 

Essie saw the red and swollen face, instantly knowing what had happened.  Orie was numb, very numb after her encounter with her mother.  She just sat there in her car.  She knew Essie was there waiting for her, but what was she going to do again?  Why was she there?  Suddenly, everything was a puzzle.

“Orie, come inside now.  I will get you something to eat.”  Essie gently pulled Orie out of her car and leaned her against the car while she reached in the back seat for Orie’s bag. 

Bag in one hand and Orie in the other, they walked into the house.  Essie brought both upstairs to her bedroom, placing the bag inside the closet while Orie found a place to sit on her bed.  Orie looked like a rag doll, just hanging there limply with no sign of life.  Essie looked into Orie’s eyes and they were lifeless, just two eyes gazing into nothing.  Essie picked up Orie and laid her on the bed, making her comfortable before she went downstairs to the kitchen to gather a few things. 

Essie returned to her room a short while later with a bowl of soup.  Once the soup was safely set aside, she cupped Orie’s face in her hands, used her healing magic to heal the physical pain of Orie’s face.  “Orie, eat the soup first.  It will be easy on your stomach.” 

Orie sat up and mechanically ate the soup.  Essie took the bowl to give to Essie Sapphira to take back to the kitchen.  “It is all right, princess, it will be all right.  I have healed your face to take away the bruises and the physical pain.  I will speak with Debbie later to let her know you will not be coming in.  Stay here now; you are home now . . . where you belong.”  Essie gently kissed Orie to bring a little sparkle into the dull entity that is now Orie’s soul.

There was no blood, and that was a good thing.  Essie needed to see if Orie’s teeth had been affected by the constant hitting she had endured.  She encouraged Orie to open her mouth, noting that all of her teeth were still there.    “That is all that can be done now.  Rest, Orie, I will return in a moment to help you with your clothing.”  No reaction from Orie, not a word, not a sound, nothing.

Once Essie returned to her room, she said, “I am sorry I was delayed in returning.  I spoke with Debbie, letting her know that you will not be returning.  Lay here and rest, Orie, let me take care of you.”  Essie changed Orie’s clothes while talking to her and what she saw only made her angrier.  Orie was so small, made even more so by the lack of eating a proper meal, no doubt due to mother’s encouragement.  “I promise you, my golden princess, that everything will be better from now on.”

In a raspy voice, Orie asked, “Essie, can I stay here?  I don’t know where else to go?”  Orie lay on her side watching the digital clock, just staring at the numbers.

“Of course, Orie, you may stay.  I had this house designed for your needs, Orie.  Maril believes it was designed for her, but truth be known, this house is for you.”  Orie tried to smile, but it just hurt too much.

“Thank you.”  Orie stood up, plodded her way to Essie, and held her, holding Essie as tight as she could.  Orie didn’t have any tears left to cry.  “Maybe I should just save you the trouble and do away with everything.”

Essie heard the words and Orie’s thoughts, and they were conflicting.  Though Orie’s words were vague, her thoughts were much clearer.  “No, Orie, no, you are not any trouble.  There is nothing and no one to do away with.  I need you, my princess.”

“Then you would be the only one.  Essie . . .” A sob escaped from Orie.  She couldn’t bring herself to do it.  She didn’t have anything left.  Orie let go and lay down on the bed.  She was tired, so tired.  She thought she would be excited, at last ridding herself from mother, but instead, she was tired.  She never realized how tiring it was carrying all that weight for as long as she had.  She couldn’t wait to leave. 

==========

It was about midnight when a strange sound was heard.  Essie awoke to find the source of the noise and realized that it was Orie, crying.  Finally, the tears had come.  Essie wrapped her arm around Orie’s waist, pulled her closer, and held her through the night.  Orie seemed to sense Essie’s closeness, and the crying started to ebb away to the love that was being offered.  Orie shortly drifted off to sleep.

==========

Out of habit, Orie woke up at her usual time to start her morning routine, starting with a walk around the block.  Essie was still sleeping, so she quietly slipped off the bed, changed her clothes, and crept downstairs to walk out the front door.  She noticed Essie didn’t have an alarm, so as quietly as she could, she opened the front door very carefully and closed it quietly, creeping down the steps that led to well-worn path Orie thought she could use for walking.  She had just reached the bottom of the hill when she heard, “If I had known you wanted to go for a walk this morning, I would have alerted Maril.”

Bringing her hand up to her mouth and turning around slowly, she uttered, “Soooorrrrrryyyyy.”

“You are sorry for what exactly?”

“For waking you up . . .?”

“You woke me up as soon as you climbed out of bed.  I thought you would be returning, until I heard the front door open.  I was not that far behind you.”

“I just thought I would take a walk, to sort of sort through all of the cobwebs.”

“We will have a good morning, then, of walking a little and talking a little.  Tell me what happened yesterday after you went back to your house.”

“Well, it wasn’t pretty, as you can imagine.  I told her everything that I had been through, how I felt about her and her ideas, of who I should be.  After that, she thought that if she slapped me enough times I would change my mind.  It did the opposite though, and only confirmed it.  I needed to leave, to go somewhere.  After I left my house I didn’t know what else to do.  My cheeks are better this morning.”  Orie suddenly stopped, turned around, and look up at Essie.  Essie saw that the redness had gone away, but the swelling was still there.  “Essie Diamonté, I want to say thank you.  Thank you for all the times you have been there for me.  I don’t think I would have been able to save my sanity if wasn’t for you.  It started with Becky, and it finished with mother.”  Orie reached up to cup Essie’s cheek.  Essie rubbed her cheek in Orie’s hand.  “I am going to say this now while I have the courage to say it.  You see, you showed me what loves means, a give and take, an exchange of trust, I understand that.  Of all the people in my life, you are the one that I trust.  I want to be with you, if you will have me.”

“My golden princess, I am only returning the love that you have given me ever since that day in the fourth grade.  No one in my life equals who you are.  Of course I will have you.”  Essie kissed Orie’s hand before lowering it to hold in hers as they continued their morning stroll. 

==========

They returned to the house forty-five minutes later.  Orie thought she could use the unoccupied bathroom to shower.  Essie being Essie, had other ideas.  Essie always enjoyed a back scrub, and since the opportunity presented itself, well, who was she to pass up an opportunity. 

After a good breakfast, which Orie ate heartily, Essie declared she would use the home office instead.

Maril had given not so subtle clues that she wished to speak with Essie this morning about the latest development.  Walking out onto the back patio, she stated, “Princess, I forbid this relationship to escalate any further.  She will have to learn to fend for herself instead of relying on you to save her from I am sure is something that she deserves.”

Essie started laughing.  Maril didn’t know what to think when Essie started laughing.  When Essie quieted down, in a strong yet soft voice, she responded, “Maril, you no longer have the power to forbid anything.  Orie is here because this is the place that she feels loved.  I will not turn Orie away, so never expect that to happen.”

“Princess, we will be leaving in seventy two hours time, what will we do then?  Take her with us.”

“Yes, Maril, I plan on taking Orie with me back to the place that I once called home.”

“You cannot be serious!  You must think about the consequences!”

“I am very serious, and I have thought about the consequences.  The consequences of leaving her behind are far greater than taking her with me.  That is all, end of discussion.  I have work to do.”

“She is no good for you.”  Maril had never liked Orie, and only Maril knew the reasons why.  With this change in their status, she wasn’t sure what to do.  She would have to take matters into her own hands.

Essie walked away, hearing Maril’s thoughts quite clearly. 

==========

Essie and Orie left to drop off Essie Sapphira at her school then returned to the house with orders for Orie to relax and enjoy herself, asking only that if she had a need to leave the house, to let Essie know so she wouldn’t worry.  Orie didn’t know what to think about that.  She had never been told to just enjoy herself.  She stood in the middle of the family room, scratching that spot on her head, thinking what to do now.  Essie laughed as she took a hold of that hand, telling Orie she would rub a hole in her head.  Well, she had a little bit of money and thought that now would be a good time to get Essie something to let her know she was loved.  She told Essie she was going shopping and would be back in a couple of hours. 

==========

She had a good idea of what stores to go to, knowing all the little shops in the area pretty well.  The first stop was a candy shop.  Essie loved white chocolate, and this particular candy store had an assortment of specialty candies.  As soon as she stepped inside, the sweet scent of vanilla and chocolate assaulted her senses, putting her into a blissful heaven.  They specialized in truffles, and had a box of six white chocolate truffles right there just calling her name.  Once that was done, she drove to a flower shop.  They had a wide assortment of flowers, and while all of them looked very pretty, there was one that caught her eye.  It was a beautiful bouquet of roses with a special name called Remember Me.  Orie thought the name would fit with the feelings she held for Essie.  With Orie’s shopping completed, she left for home, so Essie could receive her gifts.

===========

Essie had given Orie a key to enter the house so she could come and go as she pleased.  Candy and flowers in hand, she walked to Essie’s office, and as she entered, she saw Maril floating in the air.  “Uh, Essie, why is Maril flying?”  Orie asked, looking up at Maril.

“She had dusting to do.  Did you enjoy your shopping?”

“Oh . . . kay, and yes, I did.”  Orie knelt on the floor as she gave Essie the box of chocolates. 

Essie could smell the sweet scent, and as she opened the box, a large smile showed on her face.  She removed a truffle from its place in the box and held it in the palm of her hand, looking at the intricate detail.  She picked up the truffle very carefully from her palm and placed it in her mouth.  Sounds of pleasure emanated from Essie as she chewed the divine treat.  She then covered the box and placed it carefully on her desk for later consumption. 

“I think these flowers say a lot about how I feel about you.”  Bringing the roses within view of Essie, Orie continued, “These roses are called Remember Me roses.  I thought they were the prettiest ones in the case.” 

Essie’s eyes opened wide at the flowers.  She had never received flowers for any reason before now.  She held them up to the sunlight to view their full color, and they were absolutely beautiful, with an orange base and red tips.  She didn’t know what to say, as she was mesmerized by everything, the chocolate and the roses.  Instead of saying something, she stood Orie up on her feet and got close.

“Essie, what are you doing?”

Essie gently placed her finger on Orie’s lips, and Orie understood the silent message.  Essie tried again and kissed Orie gently and lovingly to show her appreciation.  Orie could read Essie’s face and knew then how she felt about the gift.  This time Orie initiated the kiss, and it was gladly accepted.  Essie found her voice and whispered, “Thank you.”

Essie stood from her desk and was almost out of the room when she suddenly stopped.  She turned around and spoke to Maril.  “Never question her worth again, old woman.”  Maril was slowly lowered to the ground.

Orie didn’t understand what was going on, and thought that if Essie wanted her to know then she would have told her.  Orie would not push.  Orie followed Essie to the kitchen.

It was a wonderful day.  Maril stayed far away from both Essie and Orie, volunteering that she be the one to pick up Essie Sapphira from school.  Essie wanted to move up the timeline for their departure to Arcadia.  The sooner the better as far as Essie was concerned.  Orie was feeling better, and getting healthier because of the increased nutritional intake.

Maril had shown Essie the location of the spacecraft they had used to come to earth, with Maril visiting the site every year to be sure everything was still in working order.  The craft was located in an area known as God’s Vessel, so called because over 150 million years ago a meteor created a bowl in the earth, a crater.  An entirely different eco system had developed within the crater, making it a nature reserve, housing creatures as well as plant life long thought to be extinct.  There was a natural tunnel that led anyone from the outside world to the view the inside of the crater.  Finding this tunnel, though, was very difficult because it was not mentioned on any map, someone would have to happen upon it by extreme luck, such as the case with Maril.  Maril was very careful when she showed Essie the location of their ship many years ago.  The craft was veiled with a cloaking device, and unless someone had the proper equipment they would not be able to find the craft, which could not be seen, felt, or heard. 

Essie started preparations to leave the following day.

==========

Orie was sitting in a chair looking at a book from the huge library in the house when Essie approached her.  “Princess, I would like to leave tomorrow.”

Orie was startled to attention.  “What now?  I’m sorry, could you repeat that.”

“Of course, princess, I would like to leave tomorrow.”

“Leave for where tomorrow?”

“I would like to leave Earth tomorrow.  Upon arrival at the landing site, be sure the spacecraft is ready to leave.”

“We’re leaving tomorrow . . . really?  Oh wow, um, do I need to bring anything.”  Orie remembered the conversation, but the words just hadn’t sunken in until now.

“I would like to leave tomorrow, yes, and you do not need to bring anything along with you.” 

Orie appeared scared to Essie.  Everything would be brand new for the both of them.  Essie had distant memories of a time long ago spent on Arcadia, and to finally come home, it was an all too real answer to a dream, at least one of her dreams.  She knew how Orie was feeling.  She could always feel Orie’s emotions, scared, excited, loved.  All of them mixed together, but none being dominant over the other.  She needed to be sure, so she asked one last time, “Are you certain you are willing to come with me?”

“Of course I’m sure, Essie.  I’m nothing without you.  What kind of a friend would I be if I let you go all alone to a place that you only have memories of.  I want to be with you for a lifetime if I can.”

“That is exactly what I needed to hear.  Thank you for coming along with me, my golden princess.”

“You’re welcome.”  Orie smiled a true smile, the sort of smile that shines as bright as the morning sun.  It was good to see.

==========

Maril had avoided the two at any lengths she could.  The eight thousand square foot house allowed that without any problem.  She didn’t know what the princess saw in this commoner.  What could this commoner offer her princess?  Really, to think she brought her here to fall in love with an earthling.  It was too late to do anything about that now. 

After supper was finished, Essie Sapphira went upstairs to prepare for sleep.  Tomorrow would be a long day.  That left Maril alone with Orie and Essie, without any other choice. 

Essie spoke up first, “Maril, we will be leaving tomorrow at sunrise.  Everyone in this house will be leaving for Arcadia.  Be sure that you are fully prepared.”

“Princess, must you bring her along?”  Maril asked with anger showing in her question.

“Yes, Maril, I must because it is to your benefit that she is here.  It is because of her that you are alive,” Essie replied in a quiet voice that meant business.  Maril’s only reaction was to look at Essie, not knowing how to reply to that.

Essie found her way upstairs.  First, she checked to see if Essie Sapphira was well, and found her watching television.  Essie started laughing when she saw that it was ET her daughter had chosen to watch.  “Sapphira, are you all right?  Do you have any questions?”

“I’m all right, Mom.  I don’t why you and Maril are fighting, but I’m sure Maril will explain it to me one day.  So other than that, I’m fine.”

“How do you feel about leaving tomorrow?”

“It’ll be strange, I’ll tell you that.  You and Maril have showed me pictures, and given me lessons, and all, but someone told me once that seeing pictures of something is a lot different than seeing the real thing.  I just thought I’d deal with it when I got there.  You’d be there, right?”

“Yes, I will be, and so will Orie.  Does that bother you?”

“No it doesn’t.  I like Ms. Orie, she’s nice.”

“We will be leaving at sunrise, so get to bed, Sapphira.”

“But it’s not the end of the movie yet,” Sapphira whined.

“End of the movie or not, get to sleep.”  Essie moved the covers back, waiting for Sapphira to climb underneath.  Sapphira gave a deep sigh, turned off the TV, and slumped her way over to the bed and underneath the covers.

“Goodnight, princess, remember I love you.”  A kiss on Sapphira’s cheek was rewarded with a giggle.

Once back in her bedroom, she closed the door silently and leaned up against it.  “The house is at peace once again.”  Essie opened her eyes to see Orie sitting on the bed with a pink elephant nightshirt on.  My golden princess could not look any more adorable than she does right now.  The chocolate candies and the flowers given as gifts of love.  “Princess, if you are tired, you can go to sleep now if you wish.”

“No, I’m just sitting here thinking, that’s all.  Do you think everything will be all right?  I mean, I’m sure that everything is going to be fine, your daughter and your mother are coming along, it’s just that . . . well . . . I was just wondering . . . do you think the people will like me?”

“I have no doubt that the people will like you.  Sapphira adores you, you are her favorite teacher.”  The mother finger came out as she said, “Never call Maril my mother.  Yes, she has taken care of me, but . . . she has never attempted to see the world through my eyes.  That is something that I make a point of doing with Sapphira.”

“I know you’ll be there, and that’ll help quite a bit until I get used to things.  If I become a brat, though, you have to tell me.  Do you promise?”

“Princess, do not ever worry about becoming a brat.  You never have been, and I seriously doubt you will ever become a brat.  To save both of us from an argument that neither of us will win, I will agree that if you ever become a brat, I will tell you.”

“Thank you, Essie.”  Orie stood from the bed and hugged Essie.  Looking straight into Essie’s silvery eyes, she declared, “I think I love you, Essie Diamonté.”  She then let out a big sigh as she held onto Essie. 

Essie smiled, knowing the strength it took Orie to declare her feelings.  “I think I love you as well,” she returned. 

Both went to bed that night wrapped in each other’s arms, dreaming of their future together.

To be concluded in the conclusion.

Return to the Academy