Part 4

Alarica wanted to speak with her newfound friend about traveling with them to America. She felt it would be good to have everyone travel as one for many reasons, including political. “Meschelein, we have spoken before about traveling to America to speak with them about coming to Avalon and Andromeda. Bellona has agreed to come along with me, would you come along with us as well? Please, Meschelein, if you are concerned about accommodations, all of you are welcome to reside with me at the House of Avalon. I have plenty of room.”

Meschelein had thought about nothing else since the subject had come up not long ago. It would be good to visit again, to gain further knowledge of the outside world. It would not be good to be too comfortable, right? Being too comfortable would mean boredom, and being the ruler of a country, being bored would not be good . . . would it? “I will come along with you. I will need to gather a few things in order to come along with you. I will use your portal, as it means an easier way for me to travel. I will return in two days. Are we agreed?”

Alarica was overcome with joy at hearing the news. She had considered Meschelein to be the older sister that she never had. To have her along would make things a lot better than before. “Elmira will be here later this afternoon. I would appreciate it if you would wait until she comes back. She will tell you if there are any papers that you will need to bring along with you.”

“I have not met Elmira yet. Who is she?” Meschelein’s curiosity was peaked at the mention of this new name, as Elmira had not traveled with them to Tutela Isle.

Smiling at the memory, Alarica responded, “Elmira is my younger sister. She is three years younger than I am. She is also my assistant in every definition of the word. She has been courting someone since we originally returned to Avalon. I am not certain, but I do not believe her relationship with this woman is very good. She is not happy. She will travel with us to America as well. Mother will be coming with us as well, now that she has assumed Ernestine’s responsibilities. Is there anything else you need to know?” Alarica could carry on if she did not control herself. She felt comfortable speaking with Meschelein.

“I am sure everything will be fine, prietenul meu. Do not worry. I will wait for her to arrive. I just need to let Nerissa know of our new plans.”

“I understood everything up until something meu. What does it mean?”

“It means my friend.” Meschelein smiled with joy at being able to say those words. She never believed she would be able to find someone outside of Nerissa to accept her, and now, both Alarica and Bellona had proved her wrong.

“You are meus amicus to me as well. I have enjoyed spending this time with you. I must admit that my original assumption was proven wrong. I have never been happier to have been proven wrong.”

Coming together for a warrior’s handshake, Meschelein left Alarica in her study, to speak with Nerissa about the plan to go to America.

==========

Nerissa was excited to hear about the new travel plans. New adventures, new learning experiences excited her, and being able to expose their daughter to those experiences as well made it all that much more worthwhile.

==========

Elmira came back to the palace expecting to find the queen waiting for her at the entry to complain how late she was getting back, how miserable everything is, and so on. It was usually at that point that Elmira stopped paying attention, for survival mostly, that, and to prevent the incurable queenly headache.

Seeing her sister in her study, Elmira greeted, “Alarica, it is good to see you. What happened to the queen? Is she ill?”

Alarica immediately stood from behind her desk to embrace her sister. “Elmira, welcome back, I have missed you. What is the progress of your courting?”

“We have agreed to disagree that our relationship would work. What happened to the queen?”

“I am afraid I do not have the time to explain all of that to you at this time. I have received a message from Ethelmona stating that the American President is willing to see me. I need for you to see to a visitor. Her name is Empress Meschelein of Tutela Isle, and she has traveled with her wife Queen Nerissa and their daughter Princess Gretel. I do not believe that Empress Meschelein will need any formal documents, but speak with her to see if there might be something that she would be willing to bring along with her to help them understand. Be sure she is willing to do this, though. She has her own concerns about the matter. Meet with Breanne to let her know of the events and to start packing procedures immediately. Get to it immediately. Mother is my new advisor as well, and be sure she is preparing herself for the event.”

Elmira went about the task immediately, knowing that when things settled down a bit, she would hear the entire story. After speaking with Breanne and her mother, she set about finding this mysterious visitor. Seeing someone new wander the gardens, she approached them. “Greetings to you. I am Elmira, Sovereign Cyan Alarica’s assistant.”

Meschelein and her family bowed in respect. Rising fully, Meschelein introduced herself, “I am Empress Meschelein of Tutela Isle. You are definitely her sister. Is there something you wish to speak to me about?” Though she knew already, she was not sure how Elmira would react.

“My sovereign has instructed me to ask you if there would be something that you could bring along with you, stories, fables, music, and the like, to help the American President learn more about you.” Elmira stood there waiting for an answer, wondering if she had done or said something wrong. She did not receive an answer right away. She heard footfalls approaching and turned around to see who was coming. Seeing her sister come, she was confused.

Alarica stopped. “Meschelein has just informed me that you need to relax. She has been . . . I am not sure what the proper word would be . . . but she has helped me in more ways than one, Elmira. You need to relax.”

Elmira, turning red while nodding her head up and down, stated, “I did not realize I was nervous. Does she have the gift as well? Just like you?”

“No, Elmira, not just like me. She has capabilities that far surpass mine and any stretch of your imagination.” Giving her sister a friendly pat on the shoulder, Alarica left them so that Elmira could try once again.

“I am sorry. I did not realize I was giving off negative vibrations.” Still a little embarrassed, Elmira scratched a nonexistent itch on her head.

“You do not need to worry. I did that so you would be able to receive just a little love from your family. A family’s love is the strongest cure there is, no matter the problem. As to the question you asked, I will bring along some fables with us. Is that all you need to know?”

“Yes, thank you, Empress Meschelein. I am honored to have met you. Will you be returning?”

Meschelein smiled a little more, feeling the nervous energy in Elmira dissipate just a little. “I will be returning in two days time. I already received permission from Alarica to use your portal. It will be an easier means of travel for us.”

Elmira bowed to Meschelein and her family, as etiquette dictated, and left to supervise Breanne. Meschelein and her family left for Tutela Isle soon after the meeting.

========

“Honey, dear, yoo-hoo, wifey poo. Are we there yet, and are we in one piece?” Nerissa asked while lying down on the floor staring up at the ceiling of their tower.

Meschelein thought it would be best for them to land inside her tower rather than inside the palace, to avoid any problems it might cause. She was able to control her landing, therefore landed on both feet rather in such a position that her wife was in. Meschelein could not help but laugh. Having the ability to control herself once again, she responded, “Yes, we are there, and yes, we are in one piece. Nerissa!” she continued to laugh.

“I feel like I’ve been through the transporter. I have a sudden urge to yell beam me up.” Let me see if I can get up. All right, on the count of three . . . ready, and 1 . . . 2 . . . “Ah. Thank you for your help. That was some ride.”

The fun stuff is over, Sprite, now it’s back to work

“Yeah, but, Lexa, couldn’t we just have fun a little bit longer.” Nerissa asked while on her hands and knees on the ground, begging not to go back out into the summertime heat. They were in the process of redoing the garden, and it had taken all morning for the first step of the process, and Nerissa had a feeling it would take all afternoon in the heat of the sun to finish the second part.

Nerissa laughed at the memory, remembering Lexa caught her sleeping after her shower, so much for supper. Not hearing what Meschelein had said and seeing the hand waving back and forth, she uttered, “What? I’m sorry. I was thinking about something else. What did you want again, the soldier’s purse?”

This statement only caused Meschelein to laugh that much harder. It took quite a while before Meschelein stopped. Nerissa looked at her daughter wondering what she had missed something. In reply, Gretel said, “Momma funny” then joined in on the laughter. Nerissa walked away from both laughing females, muttering under her breath, “Everybody’s gone insane, and nobody will tell me what they want. Pick on the little guy of course.”

I love you, Nerissa, and you do not understand that it is because of you I have made new friends. The sooner we are ready, the sooner we can head back to Avalon. “Nerissa, I need for you to pay attention. I will meet with the council to let them know of the new development. I need for you to take Gretel to mother’s and tell her that we may be gone for quite a while. I will arrange for Alverad to provide transportation to and from mother’s for Gretel’s lessons.”

“Wait a minute. Gretel isn’t coming with us? I thought she would be coming with us. I was excited thinking I could bring along my daughter to show her my country. Don’t I get a say in this? So far you are the one to make all the decisions regarding Gretel’s care from sun up to sun down. Are you ever going to ask me what I think?” Nerissa was angry that she was just given orders instead of being asked what she thought would be best in regards to Gretel’s care. She felt as if her opinion meant anything.

“Nerissa . . . now is not the time for this discussion. While I am meeting with the council you will review, book four, page nine, paragraph three and four of the Scrolls of Protocol. That will give you the answers you are looking for.”

“So that’s how this marriage is going to work. Whenever we have a disagreement, I’m the one that’s need to find a solution, because chances are, after all, it will be my fault. Well listen here, my empress, it takes two to tango.” Nerissa left to do as she was ordered, but not before bowing fully to Meschelein, adding insult to injury.

Meschelein bowed her head as low as it could go, trying with all her might to keep her emotions under control. She knew her wife had a point, but . . . but . . . is that not the way things are supposed to be? She is the head of the household, and is supposed to dictate what would be best for everyone? Is she not?

==========

Meschelein met with the council to discuss the new development. Normally, the council and Meschelein had a good working relationship. Not on this matter however, seeing as the council thought that maybe both Sovereign Cyan Alarica and Sovereign Bellona had placed their empress under a spell. Meschelein was already in a foul mood, made even worse by this belief that the council has that she would be weak enough to fall for such a thing. Thunder and lightening strikes in the council chambers reminded everyone of both Meschelein’s power and temper. Not willing to risk their lives over the issue, the council had no choice but to back down from their stance, and gave the empress their full support, though unwillingly.

Meschelein returned to the tower after gathering a few more scrolls from the archives to bring along with them, giving her a chance to think things through, along with packing a few other belongings that she felt she would need. She heard Nerissa come back, as well as heard the pitter-patter of Gretel’s footsteps, bringing a relieving smile to her face.

Nerissa placed Gretel down for a quick nap, giving her a chance to point out a few things to Meschelein. “I thought I remembered something from studying all those scrolls that I had to memorize. I think you forgot something, oh mighty empress,” she hissed as she said the last word. “It says . . . the children of the ruling family must be given any and all chances they can to learn about the animals, about the village, about its people, as well as about the people that may become future citizens of Tutela Isle, which may include, neighboring islands or neighboring lands. Age is not a factor.” Slamming the book shut after she finished, she looked straight up at Meschelein. Looking at her face for what seemed an eternity for anything. Any sign that she understood what she was told.

Attempting to bring as much control as she could to stop her from screaming . . . from yelling . . . from crying, Meschelein said, “You do not understand, Nerissa. Gretel is as much my daughter as she is yours. I could not live with myself knowing that something happened to her. She is a baby that needs protection and love.”

“You can’t stop the world from turning no matter how much power you have. I don’t want anything to happen to my baby either, but we need to face facts, the time for play is over. It’s time for reality, the reality that we are raising the future ruler of Tutela Isle. I want to give her as much exposure as I possibly can to the outside world. To teach her other cultures, to give her more opportunities. I don’t want our daughter to end up lost and confused if things don’t work out the way they should. We can’t predict the future, but maybe we can possibly stay one step ahead by teaching her what we think she needs to know. Leaving her here with grandma is not going to provide that.”

Not knowing what to say, Meschelein only turned around to continue packing. Things were not supposed to work out the way they were now. It was supposed to be happy and loving.

Nerissa could not believe what she was seeing. Didn’t Meschelein have anything to say? “Don’t you have anything to say?”

Meschelein stood up to her full height and looked Nerissa straight in the eye “I am the head of the household. I will dictate as I see fit. You have ruled against me, so I have no choice but to accept the decision. I warn you though, your royal highness, that if anything happens to our princess, you will pay for your mistake.” She resumed packing, leaving Nerissa there speechless. When did this become a war? Nerissa picked up the book and left to return it back to its rightful place.

Nerissa returned a little later to find Meschelein playing with Gretel. Nerissa needed time, needed space, so following her wife’s example, she, too, packed a few belongings to bring along with them, packing a few of Gretel’s belongings as well. Supper was very quiet, each looking at the other, wondering what the other was thinking, or chanced thinking something.

==========

The following morning found Meschelein leaning against a window. The true test of their marriage was this matter that had arisen. Would they pass this test . . . or fail?

Nerissa sat on the edge of the bed, looking at her wife’s back as she said, “Meschelein, I want to protect Gretel as much as I can, to shield her from the elements, as it were. But I can’t, because she needs to learn how to rule a kingdom, and she can’t do that if every time something comes up we send her to grandma’s house. What kind of parents would we be then?”

Meschelein stood up straight and turned slowly, exposing pain filled eyes. Red, swollen, tear filled eyes that looked at Nerissa wanting only to see love. “I have had time to think over what you said. You are right, Nerissa. We cannot protect her from the world. The more knowledge she has, the more powerful she will be. I am so sorry for this argument, Nerissa. I will take Gretel with me to see my mother this morning and explain things to her. When I return, we will leave . . . the three of us.”

Nerissa got up from the bed and held Meschelein as tight as she could for as long as she could. She let go just long enough to look up into Meschelein’s eyes, requesting permission. Meschelein came down to answer Nerissa’s request, and let the love flow between them for as long as they dared. Coming up for a breath, Meschelein breathed, “Thank you, Nerissa. I love you, my heart.”

“I love you because you are my soul.” It was an odd exchange of love, but for them, it reaffirmed their love for each other each time they said it, no matter how odd it sounded.

==========

Meschelein returned to the tower much later than expected due to the extremely loud discussion that followed between Meschelein and her mother, with pretty much the same speech that she and Nerissa had spoken not long before. Meschelein laughed a sarcastic laugh, thinking that she and Nerissa had just rehearsed this conversation. The speech was exactly the same, the roles only reversed. Finally, an understanding was reached. They agreed to disagree on this matter, based on the context that Nerissa used her station to unduly persuade her kindhearted daughter, Meschelein, into doing something that her mother, Celia, knew Meschelein would be dead set against. After all, it is supposed to be like mother like daughter, so if she was against it, then why not Meschelein. It was not a long ride back to the tower if you knew the appropriate route. However, needing time to relax after the discussion, Meschelein took the long way home, enjoying every bit of the scenery on the way back home.

She slowly took each step on the way up back to the living quarters of her tower. Nerissa turned around to see who was coming up the stairs, not recognizing the footsteps. Seeing the expression on Meschelein’s face did not give her the confidence that things had gone well. She remembered, from Lexa, that sometimes words get in the way. Let actions speak for themselves, then, when the other is ready to speak their mind, they will let you know. So, with a cup of tea in one hand and a special treat in the other, she met Meschelein in her laboratory, to place them on a small table. Nerissa did not say anything, just smiled and left the room. Meschelein welcomed the tea and the treat, as well as welcoming the gesture, knowing what Nerissa was doing.

Final preparations were made before their departure back to Avalon.

==========

Alarica sat down with Elmira to discuss the events that had taken place so far. Elmira was excited about hearing the death of Ernestine. Poor lonely old woman, she got what she deserved, though, the old hag. As for the dissolvement of the marriage between her sister and Melisandra, that did not come as a surprise, knowing the difficulties her sister had with the former queen. As for the development of the truth of their beginnings, that was a surprise. She had never known that such scrolls existed. Alarica did not retell the story word for word, but gave Elmira enough detail to know that the history of their beginnings was far different from the one they were taught as children. This led to the story of meeting Empress Meschelein and the rest of her family on Tutela Isle. Elmira saw her sister’s face change as she retold the story. If Elmira did not know any better, she would say her sister was in love. Knowing it was too soon though, Elmira could only wait and see what happened.

Finally, the day of their departure had come, and everyone was ready. Alarica felt strange yet happy to know that Ernestine would not be bungling this arrival, as she had done the last time. Everything would be fine and well on the way to a new future, for everyone. Meschelein instructed Alarica on how to properly use the portal. It was not as simple as it seemed.

Everyone was quietly watching Meschelein instruct Alarica, who was standing there a bit nervous, wondering if she had the ability to do as requested. “Alarica, you need to calm down and relax. The portal will not work properly if you do not.” After seeing Alarica relax, she continued “That is better. Close your eyes and clear your mind. You only see a blank slate in front of you. Think of nothing else, just see the blank slate.” Feeling Alarica make progress, she continued, “Now, see the place you wish to enter. Be very careful though, the place you envision is the place you will be.”

Everyone watched the portal, to see it change suddenly to the House of Avalon’s front door. Everyone let out a thankful glee as they, too, saw the House of Avalon appear on the portal. The last step would be tricky, as Alarica would be the last one to enter. Timing was crucial for the magic portal.

Meschelein turned around to make an announcement to everyone. “Alarica must stay behind to hold the portal, so we must step through quickly. Once everyone is on the other side then Alarica may step through. Now is the time to ask questions.” Seeing no one respond, she motioned the children to step through first, using the older girls to watch for the younger ones as they stepped through. The adults were next, with Meschelein being the last just before Alarica could step through.

Everyone arrived safely, safely on American soil.

==========

Bellona left the House of Avalon with her family to take them to their own house, with the promise of returning later for a celebration of a new day beginning.

Alarica was understandably tired after her short lesson. The mild headache and exhaustion were welcome, because of the reward of being able to land safe and sound. She laughed a little at the memory of their first landing, which was far different, from the one that had happened just a moment before. Breanne and Elmira worked together see to it that everything they had brought along was properly stored.

“It really was amazing. I have learned so much since I met Meschelein.” Breanne was assisting Alarica in putting away all her remedies in the laboratory. Seeing it again brought back memories of their meeting. It seemed so long ago that she had been so frightened and unsure of everything and everyone in the household. Breanne looked up and smiled briefly at Alarica.

With the laboratory set up, with the archives and advisor’s quarters well on the way, Alarica needed to speak with her Prime Minister about the next step in the plan . . . to speak with the President.

==========

Ethelmona was busy talking on the telephone as Alarica stepped into the study. Alarica would normally not mind being ignored by her Prime Minister while she was talking on the telephone, however, with “did you see that awful dress? Oh what a nightmare” and “she did not do that. Oh my God, how pathetic can you be” she doubted it was an official call. Therefore, her patience level was slowly lowering the longer she was ignored. Tired of waiting for the call to end, she decided to end the call herself. Alarica walked up to the desk and pushed that magical button to disconnect the call.

Not realizing who had ended her call abruptly, she said, “How many times have I . . .” before Ethelmona looked up to see her sovereign. Her sovereign was, indeed, smiling, but it was not a happy smile, it was one that told her she was in trouble. So deciding to explain, she stated, “Oh, I did not realize it was you, my sovereign. Welcome to America, and thank you for ending that phone call. She really can . . .”

“Prime Minister Ethelmona, you will return to Avalon immediately on my order. The council will advise you as to what needs to be done. You have exactly one hour to ready yourself for departure.” Ethelmona gulped at that familiar tone, the tone that meant there was no arguing and do as you are told. Ethelmona immediately got up from the desk and scooted herself, literally, over to the door before running to the sleeping chambers to pack.

A loud scream was heard shortly after her exit. Alarica looked up to see Meschelein in the doorway of the sleeping chambers, shrugging her shoulders. Shaking her head, Alarica went back to the desk to clean up the mess left behind. Meschelein asked Alarica if she needed her help in being sure that her Prime Minister returned safely back to Avalon. “No, Meschelein, it will be all right if she needs to wait. It will be her punishment for not fulfilling her duties.”

==========

With Alarica busy in her study and drapery closed, Leonessa the same, Elmira running errands for the sovereign, there was very little for Breanne to do. The girls were amusing themselves playing with Gretel. Breanne silently laughed as she witnessed them play with each other.

“I was worried she would not feel welcome here. I am happy I was wrong.” Breanne was startled from the sudden sound of the familiar contralto voice.

Breanne smiled and looked up at Meschelein, who smiled in return. “Hi, ith everything okay?”

“Yes, little one. Everything is perfect, thank you. I wonder, though, little one, I have not been here before, and neither has Nerissa. Would there be someplace to go for a pizza.” Meschelein laughed a little as she shook her head. “I ask because Nerissa would like to introduce the dish to Gretel.”

Thinking a little bit, Breanne made a motion that she would be right back. She quickly ran to the study to speak with Alarica, asking permission before entering. “Hi, the empreth wanths pizza choonight. Could we have that?”

“I cannot see a problem with that. Be sure to find a suitable place for everyone. I am sure everyone misses the dish as well,” Alarica mentioned before resuming the clean up. “Everything has a place and everything in its place, why is it that nobody understands this? Look at this mess.” Picking up a piece of paper, she asked, “What is this? A letter from . . .” she squinted to read the writing, “I think Bambi.” She threw it in the trash. “A list of, I think, websites for . . .” Not being able to find the answer, she threw away that list as well, and the task continued. Having a desire to set all the little pieces of paper on fire was becoming more enticing the longer she scraped through the pile. Not knowing if there were any official documents in the pile that was left behind prevented her from doing just that. She screamed for Elmira to help her sort through all of the miscellaneous papers provided some relief.

Breanne found Meschelein again and told her the good news. Melisent would find a pizza place while Claryvorra made sure everyone knew of the new plan for pizza. That left Emily in charge of being sure that Gretel was properly dressed, while Meschelein and Nerissa sat back and enjoyed the sight. After the task was completed, Meschelein told Breanne that she would see to it that Alarica was aware of the situation.

==========

Knocking on the wall before entering, Meschelein heard, “Come in at your own risk,” from the room. She stepped in to see Alarica and Elmira sorting through what she thought was a mess that was caused by a miniature storm. Either that or Gretel was in the study. Feeling the need to help, Meschelein snapped her fingers. Alarica and Elmira sat back and watched as the papers lined up at about face towards Alarica. Raising an eyebrow as a silent ‘now what’, Meschelein laughed before replying, “I just thought it might be easier for you to sort through the papers. What is it that you are looking for?”

“Any official documents, anything with the state symbol, or anything resembling an official document . . . the rest can be thrown out.” Alarica and Elmira watched in amazement as the papers did just that. All of the official documents neatly piled up on one side of the desk while all the rest dived into the trashcan. Alarica and Elmira just looked at each other with an, ‘did you see what I saw’ expression.

Scratching her head, thinking what to say, Alarica was finally able to stutter, “I . . . I . . . um . . . thank you.”

“You are welcome. I was trying to assist you so you will be able to relax better. Melisent has found someplace for us to go. Claryvorra has notified everyone of the news, and told everyone to meet here at 5 o’clock. Is that all right?” Meschelein was enjoying herself watching her new friend sitting back in the big office chair. She finally appeared relaxed.

“Could you teach me how to do that? You have to understand that I was at a point I just wanted to set everything on fire,” laughing a little before continuing, “In all honesty though . . . thank you for coming along with me. It is not because of your powers that I asked you along. It is because I need someone to offer me wisdom and guidance through this. Not just from an advisory standpoint, but from the standpoint as an outsider.”

Blushing a little, Meschelein said, “I am not sure I am wise though. Thank you.”

“You, my friend, have not been wrong yet.” Smiling as she got up from her desk, she now had the time to enjoy the night with all of her family and friends.

After a night of fun and food, the end of the day beckoned in the form of a yawn by all. Gretel had fallen asleep in her mother’s arms. Melisent and Claryvorra were not far behind. Bellona escorted her family back home while the rest continued.

==========

The following morning found everyone out in the back lot running to start a brand new day. It was strange how silent everything seemed to be now that Ernestine was gone. No yelling, screaming, or complaining, not that anyone was complaining, it just seemed odd that after all these years, she was dead. Elmira had a mess of her own to clear away. She could tell that whoever was the Prime Minister’s assistant did not take care to do things properly. While getting things in order, she thought about the stories her sister had told her. It was a lot of information to absorb, and certainly changed her perspective on life.

A little after the noon meal, the mail arrived. Sorting through the mail, she mumbled, “Let’s see, bill, bill, are you a homeowner, bill, Providence Journal, car loan, seminar on time share . . . oh, this is different.” Throwing away the junk mail, she brought the rest to the attention of her sister.

Knowing what time it was, Alarica held out her hand in preparation to receive the mail. Placing the bills in one pile, and the Providence Journal in front of her, she focused her attention on a specially designed envelope. The texture was rough and possibly even a little thicker than a regular envelope. Opening it carefully, and pulling out a card, she opened it to read the message inside.

=========

This invitation has been mailed to you to invite you to the first meeting of World’s Authorities. This meeting will provide everyone a chance to become familiar with one another, and answer any questions, as well as a chance to have some fun. The topics to be covered will be philosophy of your government, history and culture of your country, and highlighting the major sports of your homeland. We ask that you please keep your presentation short. More information will be provided to those who RSVP by the date stated above. We realize this is not a high school project, therefore, is strictly voluntary. We only ask that your presentation, be it an oral presentation or by using a visual presentation, be done to encompass the necessary information, as well as being tastefully presented. We hope to hear from you.

Sincerely yours,
Afton Richards, Committee Secretary

==========

Alarica was stunned to receive the invitation. Everything just seemed to fall into place now. Working so hard for so long to achieve something like this seemed well worth all of the hard work. She sat at her desk just staring at the invitation, not believing what she was seeing, yet there it was. She read it several times, in fact. After what seemed an eternity, she slowly rose from her desk to show the invitation to her mother, to request the proper information.

“Lady Leonessa, I have something I need to show you. Do you have a moment?” Things are certainly more relaxed now.

“Yes I do. I was just entertaining the baby. She is a delightful little one.” Leonessa let Gretel off her lap. Gretel thought that now that she was done with Leonessa, she could find her best friend to color with her.

“She reminds me of Emily when she was that age, always exploring. I need you to read this invitation. Call them to make reservation for all of us, and ask what needs to be done, what sort of information needs to be provided, and to find out about the accommodations. Once you have done that, call Bellona to see if she has received a similar invitation as well. Use everything you have to influence her to come along. I know Bellona does not have any wish to form an alliance with America, however, I feel it would be good for all of us to attend. If she has any questions, tell her to come and talk to me personally about this matter. Once that is done then we can sit back for a minute before beginning the long and arduous process of creating the final product.”

“I thought you were going to say we could celebrate,” Leonessa stated with a bit of laughter in her voice.

“We do seem to be celebrating quite a bit lately, but I think we need to settle down. If my guess is right, this is only the beginning before the real work comes. After we have accomplished that, then we can celebrate. Not until then though, we have a lot of work to do.”

“Could I ask my sovereign a question?”

“Yes, you may ask me a question. What is your question?”

“Why not have Elmira do this? It is her duty to make the phone calls. I can assist her in putting together the information that needs to be provided.”

“I had a feeling you were going ask that, and to answer your question, the reason I need you to place that phone call, I want you to give me feedback that only you, as a weapons master, can provide.” Leonessa now understood perfectly what her daughter intended. It was not that Alarica was confused; it was that Alarica was strategizing her next move to see if this invitation was, indeed, genuine. The only way to find that out without being obvious would be the sort of training that a weapons master had to be able to tell if someone was lying or being honest.

Leonessa nodded before doing as she was instructed.

==========

Alarica left her mother to do as she had been instructed to see what Breanne was up to. After assisting Alarica in unpacking the supplies for the laboratory, she had lost track. She did not need to look very long, as she saw Breanne with Gretel finger painting a picture in the room that used to be her workroom. She smiled at the sight; both looked like they were having fun.

“Have you seen my little chickadee, I thought I saw . . . oh there she is.” Nerissa laughed a little bit at what she saw. “Well, I guess now I have to tell Meschelein’s advisor to be sure she has finger paints available. Look at them painting, they look good together.” Nerissa stood with Alarica watching the both Breanne and Gretel finger paint. Suddenly, Gretel looked up and started running full throttle towards the doorway with hands up. Both Alarica and Nerissa stepped quickly aside to see Meschelein standing right there, and Gretel stopped. She stopped right in front of Meschelein, making Meschelein start laughing at the sight. Meschelein asked Gretel in her mother tongue if she was done painting. Gretel nodded her head, and Meschelein guided Gretel to the bathing chambers to wash away the morning’s activities.

Alarica was curious. She was always interested in learning something new, and Meschelein always provided new opportunities. Seeing another opportunity to satisfy her curiosity, Alarica walked into the bathing chambers to see Meschelein giving her daughter a bath.

“Hello, Meschelein, I was wondering. What is your native language? I do not think we ever discussed that.” Alarica sat on the bench beside the pool ready for the discussion.

“According to our archives, most of the residents of Tutela Isle were gypsies, it is said we have a gypsy tongue. We do not have another name for the language, I am sorry. I could teach you if you would like. I taught Nerissa, and despite what she has told you, I am sure she does very well. She was able to learn the language quickly. If you are not comfortable learning from me, you could ask Nerissa.” Meschelein resumed her attention to Gretel, who splashed the water to get her mother’s attention. Gretel was done, paint washed away, ready to dress her once again for the rest of the day. Nerissa always had trouble with this, so she relegated the task to Meschelein, who was very successful. The secret to her success . . . Gretel chose her own clothes and clothed herself, Meschelein only helping when needed.

“Thank you for the offer, I will take it into consideration.” Alarica heard the girls pass by. “Claryvorra, would you keep watch on Gretel for a little while. I need to speak to Empress Meschelein about a matter that has recently come up.” Alarica asked silently, and Meschelein nodded her approval, knowing that Claryvorra and Gretel played well together. “Let us go to my study.”

==========

Once in the study with the drapery closed, she began. “I received an invitation to an event called the World’s Authorities. My mother is looking into it at this moment for many reasons, one of which is to find out if the invitation is genuine. If the invitation is genuine, I would like for all of us to be there together. If you refuse to come then I have to respect that. Keep in mind, however, that that does not mean I will let it go and accept that answer. I will keep trying until the very end to convince you to come with me.”

“I think Nerissa told me once she will not go down without a fight. I believe that is what you are trying to tell me. You give me no choice but to say I accept, and I will come with you. Whether or not I attend the meetings, though, is my decision to make, not yours. Are we agreed?”

“We are agreed. Thank you. As soon as I hear from Lady Leonessa, I will let everyone know. If you would go to Bellona’s house to discuss with her the importance of attending, I think that would help all of us as well.”

“I hear what you are asking, but you should be the one to do that. This is your project that you need to oversee.”

“Meschelein, this project is important to me. You know how I think, you know how I feel, you know all the important issues that encompass my life. I need to stay here to wait for word from Lady Leonessa. You going over to see Bellona would really be of help to me. I believe that is what is taking so long for her to get back to me.”

“I hear and I understand. I cannot guarantee the outcome of this meeting, you do understand that.”

Letting out a relieved sigh, she replied, “Yes, I understand that. Thank you, Meschelein.”

==========

After getting the directions from Elmira and letting Nerissa know where she was going, Meschelein left to meet with Bellona. She said she understands that I cannot guarantee the outcome of this meeting. I only hope that Bellona is willing to listen. Things have not been good between us since Carissa’s meeting with her mother. Here it is.

Carissa was outside sitting on the front steps of the House of Andromeda. Elmira had called ahead to let the guard at the gate know to expect Meschelein. Walking up the walkway to the house was good, in that it let her think about the possible conversation between her and Bellona.

Carissa looked up to see Meschelein, she smiled then hugged Meschelein for just a moment before letting go. “I’ve had time to think things through about what happened. Um . . . I just wanted to say . . . that . . . well . . . you’re still my friend and everything. The guard told me you were coming, and then I told Bell, and she’s expecting you.”

Meschelein was about to open the door when she replied, “You are my friend as well, Carissa. Thank you.”

Knocking on the wall before entering Bellona’s study caused Bellona to look up from her desk to see Meschelein standing there waiting for permission to come in. Bellona looked at her for a moment then looked at that mysterious spot on her desk before getting up to greet her visitor.

“Meschelein, I have a feeling I know why you are here. Let us go outside and talk; it is a good day today, I think.”

They walked side by side until they reached the porch and Bellona suddenly stopped and turned around to face Meschelein. Still not knowing what to say but knowing she had to say something, she spoke. “Meschelein, I apologize for my atrocious behavior. It was not warranted, and you were only trying to help. I had a long talk with Carissa about our relationship. I think she knows now that it is all right to form friendships outside of the family. I do not know for sure, but I think she may have been frightened to do that before you gave her the gift of insight. The same gift you have given me. Now, I think she feels free to be with her queen and her brothers and to show them her love. She told me that later today she was going to take the boys to the park, knowing that if they do not have an opportunity to expel that pent-up energy, it can be rather maddening.”

“Bellona, you have nothing to apologize for. You needed an opportunity to think, to feel, to see what love had been trying to show you all along. It is good to see that you have confidence now to let Carissa be. As for why I am here, Alarica believes that if we are together for this first meeting with the world powers, then things should go well for all of us.”

“You suspect something else though. You are reading something more into it than what she had told you.”

“You are a very wise woman, and yes, I did. I believe the real reason that she would like us along is that she is scared to stand-alone. She has stood, all this time, next to someone, whether they were of help or not is not the issue. The issue is that, for the first time since she has taken the throne, she is there by herself and is scared to do so.”

“You may be right. To be honest, I did not think of that. I have always seen the strong, confident woman that Alarica is. To know that she may be scared to do this by herself, I just could not imagine. I do not have the same aspirations that Alarica does. I am happy with the way things are. The only reason I came to America is to find a consors. I did, in fact, find a consors, so there is no other reason for me to be here . . . but . . . if she needs my help then I will stay and assist her in any way I can, provided, however, that it does not mean that we will become a part of the union, as it were.”

“I understand and I agree as well. I am fearful that if the American President were to find out about Tutela Isle and learn of my abilities, it would be the downfall of us all. We must be very careful.”

Bellona nodded her head in understanding. “Just go back and tell her what I just told you. I will call later on today to see if she would like to meet with me privately tonight over either wine or supper to discuss the matter further. Thank you for coming, Meschelein.”

Meschelein nodded her head and smiled as they entered the house.

==========

Meschelein returned to the House of Avalon a short time later to deliver the news. As Leonessa walked by, she could not help but to overhear the conversation between Meschelein and Alarica. Being unable to persuade Bellona herself caused Leonessa to be just a little suspicious of Meschelein.

Peeking her head inside the study, she asked Meschelein to accompany her back to her office. Leonessa stared at the invitation intently before beginning. “Meschelein, it really has been good for my daughter to have met you. I will be honest with you and say that I am suspicious in your intent. What your intent truly is or what your plans are, only you can answer that. And until you are able to prove otherwise, I say you are not good for Avalon. I consider myself fully capable of being able to persuade someone to do what I need them to do. Therefore, I am highly suspicious of your capability of being able to persuade someone that I tried very hard to persuade myself. How is it that you are able to do that without using magic?”

“Lady Leonessa, I understand your concern.” Meschelein held up her hand to forestall Leonessa’s banter. “You should be suspicious because you are her mother first then her advisor. There is nothing I can do or say to persuade you to listen to me without Beelzebub whispering in your ear.” Meschelein bowed and left the room, leaving behind a perplexed advisor. Anybody else would have been outraged at being accused of lying. Meschelein, however, understood and gave no indication of anger.

==========

Nerissa overheard the conversation and waited for Meschelein to leave then entered the advisor’s office. “Lady Leonessa, may approach you?”

Leonessa looked up surprised to see Nerissa. “Yes you may. What can I do for you?”

“Lady Leonessa, just as my wife has told you, there is nothing that I can do or say to persuade you otherwise. What I can do however, is tell you that for the first time since we met, Meschelein is truly happy, happy to be with people that she can call friends, and she would not do anything to jeopardize that. She is not the evil monster that you think she is. I may be biased because she is my wife, but above all else, just give her a chance and let her show you who she is. I don’t expect you to remember, or listen, or take this conversation into consideration, because in the end, it is your decision.” Nerissa turned around and left without another word.

Alarica had overheard the entire conversation and was puzzled by what she heard. “Mother, what is going on?”

“I have not been able to persuade Bellona into coming along with us. However, I was able to persuade her to call back later so that we may have another discussion.”

“That will not be necessary. Meschelein told me word for word the conversation she had with Bellona. It is because Meschelein was willing to be candid with her suspicions that Bellona agreed to come along.”

Leonessa was even more confused now. “She told you what was said exactly? How can you trust her?”

“How can I not trust her?” Alarica turned around and left Leonessa sitting there even more confused than she was before. Was she wrong? Could she have misjudged Meschelein?

==========

Leonessa met with Alarica that night to tell her that the invitation is, indeed, genuine. The packet contained information for making reservations at the designated hotel, the itinerary, guidelines for the presentations, should it be decided to do a presentation, were included in the information packet, as well as any miscellaneous information.

Alarica sat down with Meschelein and Bellona to decide how they were to go about with preparations for the event. Everyone went to sleep that night knowing the undertaking they were assuming with such a project, and knowing full well that it might be the last good night’s sleep to be had by anyone.

==========

The following day, Elmira and Leonessa gathered all the necessary information to make the final presentation. It would be difficult to transport themselves to and from Avalon to make a film of their home. With Breanne’s help in recreating the beauty and splendor of Avalon along with the gathering of information, everyone believed that this would, indeed, work for the presentation part of the event. Alarica would be the one to do the final presentation, with help from the younger members of her family. Long days and nights spent brainstorming, gathering information, and arguing produced something that they all knew would be respected with as much information as they dared provide without revealing too much information.

Two weeks later, it was done.

==========

It was the day before the World event. Everyone agreed that arriving a day early would provide an opportunity for everyone to relax before the main event. Alarica and company entered a hotel, the Abshire Hotel, to be exact. The Abshire Hotel is well known for its opulence, a butler to help make you more comfortable, large luxurious suites complete with a steamer/shower and whirlpool bathtub, as well as many more amenities that simply cannot be found in the average hotel. The Abshire Hotel was designed for the elite in mind, the millionaires, diplomats, congressional representatives, and anyone willing to pay a little extra to be just a little pampered. The event would not be at the hotel itself, it would, in fact, be held in the building right across from the hotel.

They arrived at the front desk, only to be rerouted to a private room designated for VIP guests. “Good morning and welcome to the Abshire Hotel. My name is Michelle, and I will be your personal liaison. What that means is, should you need transportation to the airport, dinner reservations at a special restaurant, things like that . . . I would be the one to do that for you. Does everyone understand?” See nodding heads all around, she continued. “Good, I’m glad. According to my records, I have all of you booked here at the hotel for the World event. What I need from you is the confirmation number that you were given when the reservations were made.” Elmira pulled out her notebook to retrieve the requested information. A few keystrokes later, “I have all of you here logged into my computer. I have one butler for all of you, and there are three families here, correct?” Seeing a round of nods, she went on, “All right, then, the man outside the door is Patrick. He will show you where you will be staying and carting the luggage to your suites as well. All of you have a wonderful stay here at the Abshire Hotel.”

Patrick led them out the doors and into another building. Pushing the elevator button to open the doors, he led them all inside and pushed the button for the top floor, or the fifth floor. Turning left, passing a seating area, the door on the left then the right were opened. Then passing the seating area again, the door at the end of the hall was opened. “As you all know, my name is Patrick and I will be your butler during your stay. I am in charge of being sure your room is cleaned, fulfill any special requests such as a special soap, or cuddle toy, laundering or mending any clothes upon your request. All of you have your room key, and should you need me, push numbers 1-7 on the telephone and ask for Patrick. Does anyone need anything before I go?” Everyone looked at the each other and shook their heads ‘no’ in reply. “All of you enjoy your stay.” Patrick bowed to everyone before leaving to return the luggage cart back to its rightful place.

“Bell, is this normal?” Carissa was overwhelmed, to say the least, since entering the hotel.

“Carissa, you are asking me if this is normal?” Bellona was surprised at the question, overwhelmed herself, not knowing how to answer the question.

“Somehow it’s comforting knowing I’m not the only one that feels that way.” Carissa re-entered the room, trudging along her belongings, leaving Bellona at the doorway looking straight at Alarica.

“Timor, perhaps you know the answer to that question.”

“I am sorry, Mugio, but I do not. I need to unpack my belongings and see to my family. Enjoy yourself while you are here. I will meet with you tomorrow morning in the seating area at 7 o’clock?”

“That will be fine. Enjoy yourself as well, Timor.” Bellona and Alarica both closed their door to attend to business.

Emily snuck out of her room after putting away everything, sneaking all the way to the end of the hall and knocking on Meschelein’s door. Meschelein opened the door, surprised to see Emily standing there at her door.

Emily heard the door open and when she looked up, she saw Meschelein standing there with a puzzled look on her face.

“Emily, why are you here? Did you get lost?”

“No, I didn’t get lost. I just came to play with Gretel. Could I?”

Meschelein turned around to tell Nerissa what was going on and that she would be back. Meschelein walked Emily to her room and knocked on the door. She heard talking inside before the door opened.

“Emily, there you are. Come inside so we will talk.” Alarica watched Emily go inside before looking up to see Meschelein smiling, “Thank you for bringing her back. I told Bellona we would meet at the seating area at 7 o’clock in the morning tomorrow because the event is to start at 9 o’clock. Elmira and Clarissant have agreed to stay behind and look after the children. Do you have any questions?”

“No, I do not have any questions, and be gentle with Emily, she misses her friend.”

“I understand. I only hope she understands the predicament she could have put herself into. This is a strange place for all of us.” Stepping out of the room closing the door behind her, she leaned up against it and looked at Meschelein once again. “Meschelein, I am sorry for what my mother said. You believe that she is being a mother by worrying about her daughter. The fact of the matter is that she must first think of herself as an advisor then mother then grandmother. You did nothing wrong. And to remind you, I am grateful to have met you. I think things have gone smoother than they would have gone had we not met. Well, take care of yourself and have fun today. I will see you tomorrow.” Alarica stood up straight and inserted the key card into the slot. The door opened to let her inside.

==========

A short time after Meschelein returned to her room, there was a knock at the door. Opening it to see who it could be, Meschelein saw Carissa standing on the other side.

“Hiya,” Carissa started laughing. “I thought I would take the kids out to have an opportunity to blast their energy before meeting for supper tonight. Would you mind if I took Gretel? I have everybody except Gretel. Between the bunch of us, we should be able to take care of a three-year-old.”

“We are meeting for supper tonight?” She had not heard this.

“Yeah, it was just decided, I think. Bell told me to be sure to be back here by 3 o’clock so we could get cleaned up for supper. We’re meeting everyone downstairs at five or five-thirty.”

Meschelein stood to the side to let everyone into the room then quickly told Gretel that she would be taking a walk with everyone. Nerissa could not help but laugh that it took a group to look after one three-year-old. Now ready to go, Meschelein reminded everyone to stay together and be aware of their surroundings. Gretel in hand, everyone left the room, happily looking forward to their new adventures.

==========

It was a little after three when the group returned. Gretel came back tired, but safe and sound. Claryvorra, Melisent, and Emily returned to their room while Carissa and the boys returned to theirs. At 5 o’clock, everyone met downstairs to have supper together.

There was a restaurant on the lower level of the hotel they were staying. Leonessa had called ahead to reserve a table. They were ushered into the back of the restaurant where a large, wooden table draped with a burgundy damask tablecloth, and the light just right for the guests to see the intricate design of ivies carefully woven into the fabric was waiting for them. The ivory cloth napkins were draped on their laps as each one sat down. Each was given a menu, everyone excited to see what sort of food would be served in a place with such opulence.

Carissa was the first to speak up. “Oh, Bell, I have a question.”

“Yes, Carissa.”

“What’s pâté?”

“Pâté is a form of spreadable paste, usually made from liver, and is served with toast or crackers. Here in the States it is better known as liverwurst. Why do you ask?"

“I just never heard of it, and I saw it on the menu. And for the record, they make it out of liver.” Gulp, I won’t be eating that anytime soon, yuck.

Bellona laughed as a reply to Carissa’s statement, while Meschelein and Alarica laughed for their own reasons. Leonessa chose this time to bring up a subject of concern, feeling that this would be an opportunity to test the will of her daughter’s newfound friend.

“Meschelein, I was wondering if maybe you would not mind Gretel staying with us tonight. The girls have spoken of nothing else since they arrived. Both Alarica and I attempted to quiet down their desire, however, unsuccessfully. It will be the only thing that would quiet their desire.”

“You promised them something knowing that you may not be able to fulfill their requests, I see. Why would she do that not knowing how I would answer? What is it that you are looking for, Leonessa?

“That was not what I asked, and I believe you have misinterpreted.”

Meeting Leonessa’s challenge, she asked, “Melisent, perhaps, then, you could clarify for me what your grandmother said previously to us meeting for a supper.”

Feeling everyone’s gaze and the weight of her answer, she took a deep breath and did what mother Alarica had always told her to do, tell the truth. “Well, you see, um, Miss Meschelein, it’s just that we got used to everyone sleeping together, and the way we slept in the house was that us girls would surround the baby. Claryvorra and I would always laugh at how adorable she looked while sleeping. We sort of missed that, and I asked mother Alarica if we could ask you to let Gretel sleep with us tonight, or vice versa. The beds are high up off the ground, but Claryvorra and I could sleep on either side so she doesn’t fall off. You don’t have to say yes, and I understand if you do you say no, but I just thought it couldn’t hurt for us ask.” Grinning, she added, “Please?”

“If you could clarify for me why Leonessa said that the only way she could quiet your desire to sleep with Gretel, I would be able to decide. It seems as though you had already accepted the possible conclusion to your inquiry.”

“I don’t why grandma said that, because I didn’t think it was that big of a discussion.”

Meschelein knew that if she wanted the truth, the only way to find out would be to ask a child. They have an ability to see and hear things that adults often miss. Making up her mind, she stated, “Let us have supper first, then I will talk about this with Nerissa when we are all in our room. Agreed?”

Melisent was happy to hear that she would at least think about it. “Yes, ma’am, agreed.” Smiling, she resumed reading the menu.

Meschelein could hear Leonessa’s thoughts quite clearly, whether on purpose or not, she did not know. What she did know, though, was that the conclusion to the discussion was not what Leonessa had planned.

The rest of the meal was quiet, besides the occasional giggle from the younger ones in the group.

==========

Once in their respective rooms, Alarica and Leonessa had a rather involved chat.

“Mother, I do not know why you fabricated a simple discussion. Perhaps you could clarify that for me, Lady Leonessa?”

Hearing that tone meant disapproval from her sovereign. Who the sovereign is made no difference, simple fact was . . . disapproval from the sovereign was just that. “I apologize, my sovereign. My only intention was to see to it that she truly is right for Avalon. I apologize for casting my suspicions for all to see, my sovereign,” she bowed fully before Alarica, “please forgive my rude behavior.”

“I am the one to decide what is right for Avalon. Meschelein has never given me cause to cast suspicion upon her. I acknowledge you, as you my mother, will say that it was done with love and concern for her child. Might I suggest, though, that you accompany the girls to do what you know must be done.”

Leonessa lifted her head just enough to see her daughter’s face, who in turn raised her eyebrow. Leonessa lowered her head again and sat there for just a minute longer before standing up. Not knowing if she had another choice, she resolved herself to do as her sovereign had ordered.

==========

Leonessa and the girls walked to Meschelein’s room. Claryvorra knocked on the door, announcing herself as well. The door opened and Meschelein stood aside to let them in. The girls were definitely excited about being with Gretel again. They took Gretel into another room so the adults would have a little privacy to talk about what had happened.

Leonessa stood there with head bowed, looking at the floor. Meschelein slowly and quietly moved toward Leonessa to embrace her, hoping that it would help Leonessa to feel more at ease. “Now I know why my daughter likes you so much,” she said, brushing the miniscule tears that released at the show of affection and laughing just a little. “I came to say I am sorry. I should not judge you so harshly. You have been kind and considerate to all of us, and I challenged that. The girls are welcome to stay if they please, or Gretel can return with us to our room, and I promise that Gretel will be taken care of. She definitely is a little princess, so beautiful, so angelic.” Leonessa looked at Meschelein in the eye, “So much like you.” Both women smiled for two reasons. One, a new bridge had been formed, and two, the happy laughter emanating from inside Gretel’s room.

“Gretel is a reflection of both of us, and thank you for the compliment. What you chose to do is fine with us. I do not think she knows how to open the door yet, and the door is much too heavy for her pull open. But just be sure she cannot open it.”

“I promise I will be sure she cannot . . .” A knock at the door interrupted Leonessa’s guarantee.

Meschelein opened the door to see Carissa standing on the other side with a large smile on her face. Any adult would be highly suspicious of this, and the first questions might be what is it, and how much . . . most adults, anyway. Meschelein always had a different approach to things, and this would be one of those instances.

“You seem to be very happy about something, Carissa. Did you have a nice talk with Bellona?”

“Oh . . . um . . . yeah, I did. Actually, I came to see if maybe I could get all the kids together and have sort of a slumber party.” Meschelein was becoming suspicious, only because Carissa scratched that nonexistent itch incessantly.

“And you are going to wash everyone’s hair?”

Carissa smiled once again while clasping her hands behind her back. Leonessa was amused to watch the goings on, wondering the outcome.

“You see, Queen Clarissant and I thought we would bring all the kids together in our room and just have a night of fun before business starts tomorrow. Bellona will be there, of course, but it’s mostly just the queen and myself and the kids . . . so anyway . . . um . . . would you mind?”

“And that is what made you happy and your scalp itch?”

Carissa started turning red at this point, not quite sure how to respond. Should I answer? Shouldn’t I answer? She’s always got me licked, dang burn it.

Leonessa started laughing at this point, with Meschelein grinning, looking at Carissa to see how she would answer.

After a few minutes, she finally answered, “Well? It’s just one of those . . . aw, hell, so could I? Please? And I promise I don’t have lice. If I did I’d be bald, I think, either that or Bell would put me in quarantine.”

Meschelein nodded her head, and told Nerissa what was going on. “So have you been appointed the resident baby sitter?”

“Sort of . . . I mean, I just thought we could have a little bit of fun. You know? We’re right down the hall, so I just thought it would be okay. I don’t know what will happen tomorrow, but I know tonight we will all be sleeping together. I even called down for extra beds.”

“All right, sure. Just remember to lock the doors securely, and she should be fine. I’ll get you her stuff.” Nerissa walked back into Emily’s room to tell everyone of the change in plans.

A happy exclamation later, everyone was on their way to a good time.

next part

Return to the Academy