Extreme Measures

Chapter 5

WARNING: This is a Uber story. All characters are figments of my imagination. Any similarities to living or dead individuals are unintentional.

VIOLENCE WARNING/DISCLAIMER: The violence in this story, is not into gross or gory. There are fight scenes. Please feel free not to read if violence of any kind bothers you.

LOVE/SEX WARNING/DISCLAIMER: This story depicts a love/sexual relationship between two consenting adult women. If you are under 18 years of age or if this type of story is illegal in the state or country in which you live, please do not read it. If depiction's of this nature disturb you, you may wish to read something other than this story.


By Candy

Kasey clung to the tall woman, enjoying the warmth of their lips pressed together, parting slowly.

"I knew you were alive," breathed Kasey.

"You did? Well I felt the same about you." Dru ducked and caught Kasey's lips again not caring that Iggy and Carla were trying to look everywhere but at them.  All that mattered was holding the proofreader, to feel Kasey's heart beat against her chest.  The strawberry-blonde was alive making her soul leap for joy.

"C'mon, I guess we better see how to get out of here." Kasey nudged Dru in Carla's direction where she was sitting next to a small pool. 

Earlier the secretary had dozed off which allowed Kasey to investigate their surroundings.  The proofreader had just sat down when she heard noises.  Out of the darkness she saw a figure form in the likeness of her lover.  Kasey's legs moved under their own volition.  Suddenly she was in her lover's arms.  Her world was upright again.  It didn't matter that they were stranded in a cave-in. They were together.

Iggy squatted down beside Carla concern marking her features.  She took in the splint, flinching at how much it must hurt.  "Is there anything I can do to make you more comfortable?"

"No I'm fine." Carla’s smile leapt to her lips as soon as she saw the platinum blonde emerge from behind Dru.  Her leg and pain forgotten, there was something different.  She liked the way Iggy was looking at her.  Carla had longed for her boss to notice her and now there it was.  Carla wanted to reach out and draw the slender woman into her arms.  Instead she reached up and wiped off some mud that had attached itself to the end of Iggy's nose.  For an instant their eyes held.  Yes, definitely something had changed.

Dru smiled to herself as she watched Iggy and Carla.  Maybe her little conversation with the publisher had made a difference? Wait until she told Kasey.  Who would have thought she could do the sensitive chat thing? 

A nudge from her lover made her look down with a raised eyebrow.

"What's that look for?" The smaller woman asked.

"Tell you later.   You'll get a good chuckle out of it." Dru winked.

"Oh goodie I can hardly wait.  Of course it all depends on if we can find a way out of this place."

"We will." Dru stated with certainty.  They had too much to live for to have it all end here.  That would be the cruelest thing the world could do to them.

Carla tugged on Iggy's remnants of a blouse, "You're all wet and shivering like a leaf."  She turned her look on Dru, "Do you have anything to start a fire?  Both of you need to get dry."

Dru couldn't argue, her goose bumps were chasing goose bumps. Shrugging off her wet pack she began rifling through it, a small tin of waterproof matches appeared in her hand.  Kasey had set out gathering up wood.  It wasn't long before a robust fire was burning.  Dru pulled out one of those emergency moon blankets.  Iggy had opened her own package containing the shiny substance she found in her pack.  The writer moved off into the shadows to peel off her wet clothes.  The crunchy sound of the emergency fabric echoed loudly in the cavern.  Dru and Iggy placed their clothing over rocks by the fire.  The writer wrapped the tissue thin foil tightly around her as she sat down next to Kasey who added a broken plank to the hungry flames.  A slightly wicked smile appeared on the proofreader's face as she wiggled her hand into a gap in the blanket to rub the writer's stomach.  Dru rolled her head in her lover's direction and smiled.  There was no need for words.  Green eyes told her everything she needed to know.  She slid an arm around the proofreader’s shoulders pulling her close.

Four very tired women enjoyed the warmth in the quiet, fire popping silence.  Kasey leaned into Dru as they sat by the fire staring at the flames casting bouncing shadows across the walls and ceiling of the mine.  The fear that had been gnawing at Kasey's insides disappeared with Dru's appearance.  She had no doubt Dru would find a way out of this situation. 

Dru watched green eyes close and enjoyed the smile playing across the proofreader's lips.  She drew her lover a little closer though they were already pressed tightly against each other. The return embrace had the same intensity and need. 

******

Iggy stood up after exiting the tunnel behind Dru.  The cavern they entered was large and very cold.  It didn't help that her clothes were wet either.  Already chills ran up and down her body.  But for a moment all was forgotten.  The first thing that happened was a form hurling itself through the semi-darkness that was only broken by the beams of light from hard hats.  Dru was in instant motion, thumping loudly against the other body hitting hers.  Four arms, finding their way around each other in a fury of movement.   Iggy watched as Dru and Kasey kissed then realized it was a moment that should only be theirs then looked away to see Carla staring at her.  The soft brown eyes gleamed with relief and happiness.  A smile played over Carla's lips.  Iggy realized that smile was for her.  The publisher left the two love birds in their embrace and moved in her secretary's direction.  The small pool mirrored Iggy's form in grotesque rippled movements. 

"Hey," greeted Iggy.  "What happened?"  The publisher nodded at Carla's leg.

The secretary shook her head.  "I guess I was in the wrong place at the wrong time."  Their eyes met.  Iggy knew real fear for the first time, and it had nothing to do with being stranded in the cave-in, but everything to do with caring for another human being.  Iggy's heart hammered against her chest as she stared into hazel eyes.  The leap for Dru's hand earlier was less frightening than this.  Now what was she going to do?  She would know exactly how to handle  it if it had anything to do with publishing.  But this!!  Iggy was totally out of her element.  Then there was that little smile playing across Carla's lips that beckoned.  Iggy hung her head to catch her breath and gather her wits, swallowing with some difficulty.

"You need to get out of those wet things." Carla's eyes twinkled.  Iggy almost choked. 

"Uh yes, I guess that would be a good idea."  Iggy noticed Dru pulling out one of those emergency blankets and did likewise.  The publisher hated the feeling of the thin foil sheet, but she was shivering, and  the wet clothes had to go.  Not being the modest type normally Iggy started to unbutton what was left of her blouse.  Then felt the blood rush to her cheeks.  Stopping in mid-button she grabbed up the foil sheet and headed off into the shadows, turning off the light on her hard hat.  In the darkness she undressed and wrapped the blanket around her slender form.  The heat of the fire wasn't the only thing warming Iggy.  She was having a tough time ignoring Carla.  The woman had this way with her eyes that drew Iggy's attention.  The dim light made them sparkle like gray-blue diamonds.

By the publisher's watch they had spent a complete day and night in the cave. Weariness ached in every bone of her body.  The only clear spot to sit was right next to Carla, which seemed rather convenient.  And that darn smile hadn't left the secretary's face once.  It kept growing larger by the second, as Iggy’s discomfort grew.  The publisher leaned back against the rock wall shoulder to shoulder with Carla.  It did feel good to get out of her wet clothes.  And now feeling the warmth of the fire she started to doze in the silence.  Everyone seemed lost in their own thoughts.  It was strange she wasn't afraid of not getting out of the cave.  Not now, not with Carla sitting next to her.   

"Are you all right?" Carla placed a concerned hand on Iggy's shoulder.

Iggy nodded, no words would come to her lips. The publisher berated herself.  Ok, get a grip Iggy.  You own your own publishing company. You chew people up and spit them out on a daily basis.  So what is your problem now?  The problem was she cared for Carla.  The oldest cliché, the boss falling for the secretary. 

"Come here," encouraged Carla, she pulled lightly on Iggy's shoulder.  The publisher leaned back again.  Carla slid her arm around Iggy’s thin shoulders resting it there.  The publisher gave up keeping her eyes open.

******

Kasey tickled Dru's ribs, "Look." She nodded her head in the direction of Carla and Iggy.  Both women were fast asleep.  Iggy's head rested on Carla's shoulder.  "What happened while you guys were alone?"

"Oh umm well we kind of talked." Dru poked her tongue into the side of her cheek.

"Uh huh, and?" Kasey tickled Dru again, "I'm surprised she wasn't all over you since you two were alone." The proofreader bit her lip to keep from grinning.

"Go ahead and laugh." Dru grabbed Kasey's hand and gently pressed it to her lips.  "You didn’t know I could do the sensitive chat routine.” Of course Dru wasn’t going to tell her she didn’t believe it herself and was as surprised as the next person when it happened.  Though sensitive might be a far stretch of the imagination.  She was tired of Iggy’s constant flirting and hidden touches.  Enough was enough.

"Oh yeah, you’d be the first I would go to for the sensitive chat thing.  Yes, the very first one.” A strawberry-blonde eyebrow arched slightly with humor.

"You’re going to pay big time for that comment." Dru growled suggestively.

"Oh I do hope so,” purred Kasey, cuddling down into Dru’s arms. 

Silence with only the popping fire lulled them to sleep.

"AARRRROOOOO!"

Dru jumped up, the emergency blanket falling to the ground, her stance ready for attack.  Kasey was by her side an instant later looking into the darkness beyond their campfire.

"What is it?" Kasey whispered.

"It sounds like a wolf.  But I don’t think it would come this deep into the cavern.”

"A wolf?" Kasey placed a hand on Dru’s arm.

"AAARRROOOO!"

"It’s getting closer." Dru informed.

Iggy and Carla awoke and stared about. The publisher grabbed for her now dried garments, shrugging into them. 

A furry blur burst into the firelight lunging at Iggy.  Dru leaped attempting to intercept the flying animal, she missed.  Down went the publisher catching a ball of orange fur.  

"Damn it Mango! Where in the hell did you come from?” Iggy greeted the dog roughly, but she was apparently overjoyed to see the mutt. 

"You do know what this means don’t you?” Kasey smiled to the others.  "It means there’s a way out.” She gave the dark figure next to her an appreciated look, "Though I love the sight, I think you better get your clothes on.”  Dru, suddenly realized she was standing in her altogether. 

Mango glued himself to Iggy’s side, licking a hand whenever it happened near.  The animal could hardly contain his excitement in finding Iggy and whined for attention.  Dru stroked the animal’s head. 

"Well boy, how about leading us out of this place?” The dog seemed to understand and took a few steps in the direction he had come, turned looking up to Iggy making sure she was going to follow.   When she took a step in his direction he turned again to lead the way.  Carla braced between Iggy and Dru followed Mango.  Kasey grabbed the packs and trailed behind.

Mango bounced back and ran forward excitedly.  He gave a happy little bark then ran off and raced back a few seconds later checking the way ahead for them.  Dru thought it was interesting that the animal was so attached to the hard crusted publisher.

Iggy felt Carla leaning more onto her as time went on.  "Are you  tired?”

"Yeah, I guess I need to rest for a couple of minutes.  Iggy and Dru eased Carla down.  Kasey handed a bottle of water around.  "How do you suppose Mango found us?”

The platinum blonde shrugged, "Don’t know, but I hope he knows his way out, otherwise we’re wasting our time following him.”  A wet canine tongue took a swipe at Iggy’s face.  Mango’s tail wagged as if it had a life of its own. 

"I don’t think that’s going to be a problem,” Dru commented, then pointed, "look.”  A slight glow of sunlight reflected off the rocks. 

"Fantastic!” Kasey yelled.  "C’mon Dru, why don’t you and I check it out while Carla takes a breather?”

The couple started off.  Mango was in a dither whether to follow Dru or stay with Iggy.  "Go on with you! Show them the way out.” The publisher instructed.  The orange dog lowered his head looking from the couple starting down the tunnel and Iggy, reluctantly he turned and caught up with Dru and Kasey.

Dru offered a hand to Kasey climbing over a boulder smack, dab in the middle of their way. "That’s going to be interesting for Carla to climb over."

"Knowing Carla it’s not going to stop her.  We’ll just pull and push her through.  If we find someone waiting on the outside they may be able to help us.” Kasey took the moment to enjoy a quick hug.  Mango got himself up and over nimbly.  The light in the tunnel grew brighter as they moved onward.  There were rocks and splintered beams everywhere.  They picked their way through the earth made obstacle course.  Wooden supports blocked their way, with bright sunlight glowing around them.  Their exit was just beyond.  Putting shoulder to stud, Dru moved the blockage.  Kasey cleared what she could.  Together they walked out of the mine.  It was late afternoon and the sun was warm on their skin.  The fragrance of pine floated about them.  The two women looked at each other and inhaled deeply. Bushes and trees surrounded them.  The undergrowth was thick, appearing as though no one had been in the area for years, or more like decades.

"Gawd, this feels wonderful.  Never knew I could miss being in the open so badly.”  Dru peered up into the blue sky. "I hate closed in spaces.”

"Why didn’t you say anything?” Kasey admonished her partner. 

"And what would you have done?” Dru pulled her partner close as the blonde shrugged. 

"I don’t know." Kasey said sadly.

"Just knowing you wanted to do something is enough.” The writer gave her a tight squeeze before letting her go.  Together the writer and proofreader turned and headed back into the mineshaft.  Iggy and Carla were in a deep discussion.  

"Is there a problem?" a dark eyebrow questioned.

Iggy’s face was a transition of frustration and exasperation. "I don’t think I’ve met a more stubborn woman."

"Oh? Well I know I have!” Carla stated, clearly indicating Iggy. 

"Humph! I’m not stubborn.  I’m concerned, there’s a difference.”  Iggy wasn’t winning her point.  The secretary shook her head.

"That’s not the way I see it.  And I’m not going to sit here and wait for someone to come back and get me.  I want out of this damn mine as much as the rest of you.”  Both women glared at each other. 

Dru covered her mouth, to squelch the laughter threatening to escape.  "Um, are you two done arguing?”  Both women turned the aim of their glare on the taller woman.  

Kasey seized the moment, "The way out isn’t far.  With everyone working together I’m sure Carla can make it.  That’s if you haven’t changed your mind to stay and wait here for help?”  That was all it took for Carla to struggle to her feet. 

"I haven’t changed my mind.” Carla allowed Iggy and Dru to regain their previous positions on either side of her.  At least the publisher was smart enough to mumble under her breath, still everyone could hear, Carla chose to ignore the mumbled comment about hardheaded woman.

They came to the large boulder.  Iggy’s attitude had soured considerably.  Carla was a trouper just like Kasey expected.  On one side of the boulder Iggy waited to help maneuver Carla through the narrow opening between the boulder and freedom.  Dru gently lifted the injured woman, who winced,  and deposited her in the opening.  Iggy’s hands were waiting and pulled her through.  Dru quickly followed after Carla. 

The glow of sunlight greeted them.  Fresh earth and pine tickled their noses erasing the stale air they had been breathing.  Mango bounced about Iggy whining for attention.  "Yes, you did good mutt!”  As if he understood her praise, he licked her hand.  "Ok, where do we go from here?” Iggy asked, scanning the area, and noting the dense vegetation.  It wasn’t going to be easy to trek through.

"I think we go this way,” Dru pointed.  Mango bounded over a bush and was trying to get his humans to follow.  The taller woman grinned, all they had to do was follow this canine to safety.  At least she hoped that’s where he was leading them, and not to some rabbit hole. 

Iggy made sure Carla was set between herself and the writer.  "Are you going to be ok?”

"Sure I am, stop worrying, Iggy.”  Carla smiled warmly. 

It was too funny to see how dotting the platinum blond had become over a few hours.  What a difference a day makes.  The secretary’s eyes glowed with happiness though for sure her leg must have been killing her.  They were free and the future looked bright indeed.  Kasey could feel the energy radiating from Carla.  The woman was psyched, bringing a smile to the proofreader’s face.  Yes she knew exactly how Carla was feeling.  It wasn’t too long ago she was in her position.  Her eye caught the strong chiseled profile ahead of her. And her heart soared with the knowledge that she found the only person in the world she wanted to spend her life with.  Friends had talked about soul mates, saying there was one for each person, and anyone lucky enough in their lifetime to find the one who complimented their existence, they should thank the powers that be for finding them.  For most it never happens and they end up settling.  She’d known too many who had, and would listen as they complained about their spouses.  Kasey chuckled to herself sadly, it is like a national past-time to rag on your spouse.  She could never figure that out.  Before her friends married they gushed how much they loved their boyfriends, but after the wedding it was like, ok now the fun is over.  As if they were saying ‘is that all there is’?  Realizing maybe for the first time this person they have declared undying love for might not be the all-in-all.  There are no guarantees in life and after the ‘I do’s’ the work begins.  Handling the everyday chores of  life determines how people relate to each other.  At least she found that with Dru.  It didn’t matter if she left the cap off the toothpaste.  It just wasn’t important.  Or if she threw her clothes on the floor in a pile.  She was learning, sharing a life together, growing and nurturing together.  It warmed her heart to know Dru was working as hard as she in making things work.  But was very surprised that it didn’t take much.  She honestly respected who Dru was and didn’t want to change her one iota.  She liked that person she fell in love with.  A sudden realization hit her.  Most of her friends tried to change their lovers in some way.  It was one of those things she learned from Dru, people are who they are, and if you are going to love them, love them for that.  Not for the imaginary one you want them to be.  Life is too short to play games, and love isn’t the place to play those games.  The heart is too fragile to be tossed about thoughtlessly. 

Crystal blue eyes caught her attention.  And it was as if Dru knew what she had been thinking and smiled.  Everything worth anything were in those eyes. 

Branches grabbed at their legs, and it was difficult making their way through the undergrowth.  Kasey’s trousers were ripped and torn, with scrapes on her lightly tanned legs.  The three other women were suffering the same torment.  They all looked like they had gone through knotholes ass backwards.  All of them were dirty, hair mussed with tangles, and their faces a mass of dirt smudges, like war paint.  Too amusing and she caught herself beginning to laugh.  A dark eyebrow questioned her.  Her response; another uncontrollable chuckle. 

Mango began barking.  When they caught up to him they could see down below them emergency vehicles and digging equipment.  And lots and lots of people running here and there.  Off to one side Dru spotted Mason’s large Lincoln.  A small figure in the front seat watched the proceedings.  Even at  this distance the writer could see a rather odd expression on Robby’s face.  She must be worried sick. 

*****

A hot shower and clean clothes, and some time alone with Kasey would right her world, and start things back to normality.  The very idea of losing Kasey hit her and tied her insides into a hard knot, of all of her fears and pain.  Dru wasn’t sure she liked the feeling of being so vulnerable.  In other relationships she kept much of herself locked away, holding herself at arms length.  She turned and noticed Kasey watching her, and she felt a warmth wrap around her heart.  It was startling she had no defense against those green eyes, and felt her soul laid open for the younger woman to claim.  The world narrowed for a moment and only the two of them existed.

Suddenly there were shouts.  People below pointed up.  They began waving and shouting to others.  A rush of bodies swarmed up the hill towards them.  Hands relieved Dru and Iggy of Carla.  Two paramedics eased her onto a stretcher.   Iggy was torn between staying with Carla or seeing her sister.  It took only Carla saying goodbye to have Iggy make up her mind, her secretary wasn’t going anywhere without her.  That left Dru and Kasey surrounded by people hurling questions at them.  It took a moment for the writer to realize many were reporters.  Just what she needed, she thought.  How cruel life could be at times.  Here she stood facing the big eyeball of a television camera.  Hair going every which way, face smudged with dirt and whatever else not quite right her image plaster across America. News at six was never so exciting, she groaned to herself.  Oh well stiff upper lip, onward and upward as they say.  Kasey’s hand touched her arm and with that anchor she was ready for anything.    

They stumbled tiredly down the slope to the base camp and were herded towards an ambulance, which the taller woman had already decided she wasn’t going anywhere near.  A couple of efficient emergency medical technicians  checked both women.   Kasey being the most long suffering of the two endured longer the poking and prodding.  The writer after a few minutes said enough was enough, and growled at the EMT, who took the hint and decided to corral Iggy and Carla. The publisher was still glued to Carla’s stretcher.   The whole time camera lenses were shoved into Dru’s face, which she did her best to ignore.  But she noticed that Iggy wasn’t doing as well.  One young enthusiastic camera operator bounced his lens off her nose and suddenly found himself with a platinum blond, sharp tongue, demon in his face and a camera becoming a part of his groin.  The strangled scream cut off quickly when Iggy informed him if he didn’t back off, he would have more body parts replaced.  With a pained expression the cameraman moved away.  His colleagues took the hint and backed out of Iggy’s reach.

Robby made her presents known then to Iggy by throwing her arms about her neck.  The blond responded in kind.

"Hey, I’m okay.  See, everything is in working order, none the worst for wear.”  She brushed away a few errand strands of hair away from Robby’s worried face.

"I was so frightened, everyone said you all were dead.”  She buried her face into Iggy’s chest as the taller woman held her close. 

"As you can see my death has been greatly exaggerated.  Samuel Clements had the same problem I heard.”  A small chuckle made her younger sister look up.

"You’re so horrible,” she stated, poking her sister in the ribs.  "I was going out of my mind with worried.  Whatever would I do without you?”

Iggy tousle Robby’s hair, "You have Mason, remember?  He’d never let anything happen to you.”  A flitting expression of anger passed quickly over the smaller woman’s face.  The publisher, didn’t understand it, and let it go as the pressures of the current events.  Too much stress for her sister on top of not being well.  Poor thing, so much to deal with.  Iggy pulled her a little tighter to her.  As she held the frail woman, her eyes dropped to Carla being cared for on the stretcher.  Their eyes met.  Sadness reflected back at her.  What was it?  What was she seeing that she didn’t.  The EMTs slide the gurney into the ambulance.  Quickly Iggy kissed the top of Robby’s head and let her go, climbing swiftly into the back of the vehicle along side her secretary.  Everyone moved away as the ambulance drove out of the area.  Mason finally was able to get through the throng to Dru and Kasey.  His expression was one of relief and genuine concern. 

"Oh my gawd, I’m so glad you all made it out.  I almost lost my mind when I heard the cave-in.”  He wiped the back of is hand across his dirt streaked forehead.  His clothes were the same he wore when they all started, rumpled and smeared with mud. And the dark circles under his eyes told the whole story. He must not have gone home at all.  He was so emotional at their appearance that he threw his arms around Dru.  The taller woman suffered the embrace and awkwardly returned it.  Kasey gave Mason a heartfelt hug when it was her turn.  "I’m so sorry this happened.”

"So what did happen?”  Kasey asked as she lightly touched Dru’s arm. 

"Earthquake.”  He shook his head. "Very poor timing, for sure.  Didn’t expect the mine to cave-in from it.  But then you just never know what is going to happen during one of those things.”  Mason shoved his hands into his pockets.  "Hadn’t felt so helpless in my entire life as I did when it happened.”

"It’s over now.  And Mason, it wasn’t your fault.”  Kasey placed a hand on his shoulder.  He gave her a thankful smile.  "But I could do for a hot shower and something to eat.”  She looked up at Dru then back to the man before them, "Could you take us back to Iggy’s?”

"Sure thing.”  They made their way to his car where Robby was already sitting in the front seat, waiting.

"Hey Robby, how’s it going?" Kasey chimed.

"Better now.  You people know how to scare the bejabbers out of someone.” She stated flatly.  "Did something happen to my sister while in there, she’s acting strangely.”

Dru looked over at Kasey sitting next to her in the back seat and gave her a small smile.  Then raised a dark eyebrow, which got her an answering smile.

"You could say that an experience like that can change anyone.  She’s gone through a lot in the last couple of days.  We all were scared.  There’s something about being stuck in a cold dark place with no idea if you will be found to make you look at life in a totally new light.  I’m sure she’ll be back to her old obnoxious self in a day or so.”  Kasey elbowed Dru for saying the last comment.

"You’re right, Dru.  I’m not thinking clearly.  It wasn’t easy for us on the outside either.  We had no idea if you were alive or dead, or if we could find you.”  Robby trailed off her words and stared out the window.  "It was the first time Iggy wasn’t there for me.”

Mason unlocked the door and allowed Kasey and Dru to walk inside.

"Would you like me to fix you something to eat?"

"No thanks.  I think we’ll fend for ourselves if you don’t mind.” Kasey smiled warmly at the haggard man.  "Take Robby home and relax.” 

A smile of relief grew on Mason’s face, "Thanks, I think I’ll do just that.”  He spontaneously hugged both women and left.

Dru let out a large sigh.  "Well I’m glad that’s all over with.”  She slide an arm around the smaller woman next to her.  "Want to join me in a shower?”

An evil sparkle instantly glowed in green eyes, "Oh yeah!"

Arm and arm they headed to their room and a hot shower that waited. 

"I have a question for you,” Kasey announced as she used the meshed pompom to scrub the taller woman’s back.

"Okay, shoot.” Dru faced the spray of water to rinse off.

"Did you think it odd how Robby acted?  I mean it’s one thing thinking your sister is dead and it’s another when you find she isn’t.  There wasn’t much of a reaction from her.  I did sense a degree of antagonism towards Carla when Iggy chose to leave with her.” 

Dru took the pompom and turned Kasey around so she could take her turn scrubbing.  It took her a few minutes to collect her thoughts before she spoke.  Kasey almost thought she wasn’t going to answer.

"There’s something going on here that’s off kilter.  I’ve been thinking about it since we were at Robby’s place.  First off, now this is only assumptions which can really be dangerous to draw.  But there was a underlying smell in the lotion she asked us to try.  I couldn’t place it at first and it bothered me.  Like when you have something on the end of your tongue and you know it’s there and yet you can’t figure it out.  Well this is like that.  When we were in the mine it came to me finally.  Have you ever smelled mascara?”  Dru asked, seeming to have changed the subject entirely. 

"Sure, why?”

"That’s the smell I couldn’t figure out from the lotion.”

"So?”

"I’ll tell you later when I have time to do a little more research.”  Dru slid her arms around Kasey and pulled her wet body up against herself.  For a moment she forgot everything else except the wonderful feeling of slick, soapy skin touching hers.  This must be heaven, she thought.  Soft lips found another set waiting and willing.  Each mouth exploring and finding a home.  Dru took Kasey’s hand and kissed each fingertip then looked deep into her lover’s eyes.  A sudden knot grew in her throat, there was something she wanted to say and she knew if she said it, her world would change forever.  And it meant a total and complete commitment, was she ready for that?  As she stared into two green pools of love, there wasn’t a choice for her.  She knew the instant the cave-in happened her feelings for the smaller woman were deeper than anything she had ever felt for anyone before.  And it happened so fast.  When she thought Kasey could be dead, her whole being felt like giving up breath and heartbeat.  She had only allowed a second for such thoughts.  She would have known or felt something, therefore, she decided Kasey had to be alive.  In that moment of clarity, Dru knew.  She cleared her throat to loosen it up to speak.  Don’t fail me know, her mind forced herself to relax and go with the flow.  This was really what she wanted.  Suddenly realizing, standing in the shower wasn’t the most appropriate place to proclaim undying love and commitment to the woman she loves beyond words. 

Kasey looked up into two ice blue orbs and felt her heart begin to hammer faster against her breastbone.  This tall, tanned woman holding her seemed to be the answer to every question of her heart.  And she realized  Dru was trying to collect her wits to tell her something important.  It was odd watching the expressions change back and forth between a startled deer to a calm composed writer.  One of those contradictory things in Dru’s complicated personality, from self assured to complete insecurity.  She was just like a kid at times.  Awkward and self conscious, nothing anyone would have ever attributed to Dru Warlord, the writer. 

"C’mon, let’s get out of here.”  Dru turned the water off and climbed out of the shower, taking the towel Kasey handed her. 

They collapsed in bed, falling asleep immediately, forgetting all about food and the world outside.

A sound awoke Dru, but she wasn’t sure what it was.  She lay listening to Kasey’s breathing, fast asleep.  A muffled voice from down stairs told her Iggy must be home, and she wondered if Carla was with her. 

An arm hugged her tighter, "You want to go down and find out how they’re doing?”

"I thought you were asleep?” Dru ran her fingers through the blond locks cascading across her chest. 

"I was, but then thought I heard something.” Kasey rose up on her elbows looking down on the tanned woman beneath her.  "Well I’m curious as hell how Carla is, so let’s go downstairs.”  The blonde rolled out of bed in one smooth movement as Dru watched with appreciation.  Then she stretched her long limbs and like a cat climbed out of bed.  Both women took a few minutes to throw on shorts and tank tops before heading out.

As soon as they opened the door the smell of bacon hit them and their taste buds stood up and took notice. "I didn’t realize how hungry I was.”  Kasey stated licking her lips. 

"Honey, you’re always hungry, so what makes this time different?” A sharp elbow in the ribs didn’t stop Dru from chuckling at Kasey’s expense.  They found Iggy and Carla sitting at the breakfast bar in the kitchen.  Both were talking through mouthfuls of BLTs.

"I don’t understand why she did what she did.” Carla mumbled around a mouthful.

The furrow between Iggy’s brows were pulled down tight.  Obviously she was struggling with explaining something difficult, at the same time not understanding it herself. "She must have had a good reason.” She finally stated stuffing another bite of her sandwich into her mouth.

"Ok, what?” Carla challenged.  "She’s never treated me that way before, so I have to surmise it’s because you told her about us that has caused this change in her attitude.” 

Iggy let out a large sigh and realized it could be the only answer, but it was something she didn’t want to think Robby would do because of that.  She should be happy, not angry.

Finally Carla noticed Dru and Kasey standing by the doorway.  "Greetings fellow comrades, how do the old bones feel now after a good shower and some sleep?”  A large grin allowed the stress of the previous conversation to drain from her features. 

"Feel pretty damn good, but hungry as a lion.” Dru admitted.

"Yeah, what she said.” Echoed Kasey.

"Well let me make you a BLT, grab a seat.  Maybe you can help Iggy and I understand something?”  Carla was going to get up and noticing the cast on her leg Dru placed a hand on her shoulder.

"You sit right there, I’m fully capable of making a couple of BLTs.”  Dru looked over at Iggy and found the woman was still upset over whatever the two had been discussing.  The tanned woman made her way to the counter where there was a pile of crisped, cooked bacon on a plate, and next to it a loaf of bread. 

"I’ve got to see this.” Kasey said from peeking around the taller woman’s shoulder.  "Who would have thought Dru Warlord knew her way around a kitchen?” 

"Hmph! I’ll have you know I can make a pretty mean sandwich when I have to.  But don’t get me close to a frying pan.  They attack and burn stuff when I’m using them.”  Dru blessed her lover with a warm grin.

"Those mean old frying pans!”  Kasey sympathized.  The blond took the plate her partner handed her.  They found a couple of bar stools by the counter where the other two women were seated. 

Dru nodded her head in Carla’s direction, "How’s the leg?”

"Broken.” The secretary teased. 

 "Duh! No kidding? Tell me something I didn’t know.” Dru took a large bite. 

Carla winked at Kasey, "Give me six weeks and they may consider taking the cast off.” 

"Hmph!” Iggy grumbled, "She should have stayed in the hospital tonight, but talk about being stubborn.” She gave the secretary a reproachful look.

"Hey, I don’t like hospitals, that’s where they keep sick people.”  Carla did appear a little pale but otherwise none the worse for wear.  "Fortunately for me the bone didn’t splinter as it could have, and they used a local to set and clean up the fracture.” 

"Ewwww, that sounds painful just hearing about it.  Maybe you should have stayed the night?” asked Kasey.

Carla took a moment to look at her now empty plate and in a small voice, like a child, "I didn’t want to be alone.”  The cold hearted publisher melted.  And reached across the counter to hold Carla’s hand. 

"I’m sorry I should have realized,” Iggy choked up.

"Hey, it’s ok, I’m here and that’s all that matters, right?” Her fingers curled around Iggy’s.  For a moment their eyes locked and a million emotions flew back and forth between the two.  Dru tried to concentrate on her sandwich, but it warmed her to feel the love growing between the two women.  Kasey’s foot rubbed up against Dru’s leg capturing her attention.  Their eyes smiled at each other.  The knowing of a budding romance made them remember how their relationship started.  Silence reigned in the kitchen for a long moment. 

"What’s this!!??” Iggy broke the quiet. "We should be celebrating our escape from a fate worse than death.  Can you believe we beat the odds?”

"Oh Dru’s the great one for beating the odds.” Kasey smiled at her lover. A twinkle sparkled in ice blue eyes.

"Well I have to say I’m glad she was there when it happened because I don’t know if I could have gotten out alone.  Don’t know if I would have had the will to bother.  She changed all of that.” Iggy realized she had given Dru a compliment.  Dang, that was a change for adversaries.  But then a lot happened in the cave-in.  She went in as one person and came out another.  Suddenly able to see things she hadn’t before.  Like right now, the woman she once was would have never noticed, the love radiating from the brown eyes sitting across from her.  Instead she would have been in a thousand other places on business deals, and getting ahead.  All of that now seemed a waste of time. 

"Um, if you don’t mind me asking, what were you two talking about when we came in earlier?” Kasey knew she was treading on shaky ground, but took the chance anyway. 

Carla gave Iggy a look questioning as to who was going to tell.  Iggy sighed.  "At the hospital Robby came in and…”

"She acted weird.” Carla finished for her friend.  Obviously it was difficult for Iggy to talk about.  Being her sister she had always been there to stand up and protect her sister from the world.

"How so?” Dru asked, joining the conversation.

Iggy shrugged, "It was like she was two different people. One moment she was happy and falling all over me to make sure I was ok, then the next it was as if I had betrayed her in some way.  I didn’t know what was happening.  Carla tried to assure Robby we both were fine.  As soon as she did Robby turned on Carla screaming, it was all her fault.  And if she knew what was best, she would stay away from me.”

Dru had listened to Iggy, finally a few things were adding up yet too many pieces of the puzzle were eluding her grasp.  "How was Mason?”

Iggy smiled, "Good, he told me he dropped you off and made sure you two were cared for.  I’m glad you decided to stay here.” Again she stopped, realizing she was doing it again.  Where were these comments coming from?  Her whole reputation was going to go down the drain if it kept up.  People may even begin to think she was a nice person.  That could ruin business.  Oh what the hell, what did she care anyway.  She liked Dru and Kasey, and whatever anyone thought she was who she was.  The changes had to go along with the territory.  Life and death situations had to have that kind of effect on a person’s life.  Unconscious of what she was doing, Iggy lifted the hand she had been holding and rubbed the soft knuckles over her lips.  Her eyes closed, no it didn’t matter what anyone else thought.  She liked this feeling. 

Kasey cleared her throat. Iggy didn’t relinquish her hold on Carla’s hand and the secretary didn’t seem to mind in the least, from the stupid grin on her face.

It was late and they all finally realized their ordeal was really over, and life would go on, but first they needed to get some sleep.  Iggy helped Carla up.  "Do you need help to get ready for bed?”

There was a glint in the secretary’s eyes, "Thanks, I think I would like that.”

At the stairs the two couples said their good nights. 

Kasey lazily drew circles with her fingers on Dru’s stomach.  If the larger woman could purr she would have.  "A penny for your thoughts.” The smaller woman asked. There was a long silence, and she was beginning to think Dru had fallen asleep.

"I was thinking of how precious life is, and how much we take it for granted.  In the cave I kept thinking if I ever got out I wouldn’t allow another opportunity to tell those I care about to pass me by.”

Kasey smiled to herself, for she had been thinking much the same thing in the dingy confines of the cave.

Dru turned to face the blond.  Both laid on their sides mimicking the same pose.  Ice blue eyes looked into loving emeralds.  "I know we haven’t known each other long, but in the short time I have been with you,” Dru paused, struggling to find the right words.  "Everything I think of saying sounds so clichéd.  And what I feel for you should be unique.”

The younger woman reached over tucking a stray lock of raven hair behind a delicate ear of her lover.  "Just say what’s in your heart.”

"That’s just it, there’s so much, breaking it down into a phrase or word isn’t easy.”  Dru kissed the tip of Kasey’s nose.  "But I’ll give it a try,” clearing her throat, "I love you.” After the words were out a sudden fear gripped the older woman.  Would Kasey refuse her love?

"I love you too.”  There was no hesitation on Kasey’s part declaring her love.  And the young woman could see total devotion in the eyes searching her face.  Understanding hit her, when she realized Dru had been terrified she would reject her love, or worse, laughed at.  "I loved you from the moment I saw you walk into the publisher’s party.  That dress you wore was a eye catcher along with those long legs of yours?”  Even in the dark Kasey could see Dru blush.  The proofreader ran a hand down the legs she so much admired. "You are my heart’s desire,” the younger woman whispered into Dru’s ear.  A kiss sealed their declaration.  It was more than stating their feelings for each other, but more a commitment to their relationship.  One they hoped would grow and become a lifetime together. 

Dru felt the sigh of relief escape.  She really loves me.  Who knew?  Life sure was funny.  Kasey saw through her façade, when others saw only a grouchy, self-serving, and opinionated person.  Could she really believe and dream of a future now with this young woman?  There were questions, but deep inside there was a special feeling that had real answers.  And all of them laid in her arms in the embodiment of a small blonde.

Kasey sprawled over the larger tanned body of her partner lightly snoring.  Blue eyes stared up at the ceiling while the smaller woman slept.  Dru kept trying to piece together what she had gleaned from listening to Iggy and others, for sure there were a few things that didn’t fit, but now at least some pieces were falling into place.  Slowly edging out from under her lover, she slid out of bed, drew on a terry robe.  Her laptop was already set up on the desk and all she had to do was turn it on.  The screen flickered to life.  Writers had all kinds of places to gather facts and information.  Old FBI files was one site Dru searched for fodder to incorporate into her writings.  For some reason the smell of Robby’s lotion snapped her mind to a file she had read.  The problem was hunting it down.  She had only an idea of what she sought and with any luck she would find it.  Finally the item she had been perusing for blinked to life on her screen.  A hand on her shoulder jerked Dru out of her concentration.  Two green eyes found hers.

"What are you doing?” Kasey asked pulling up another chair, scanning the screen? 

"See for yourself.” Dru leaned back to give the blond better access to the monitor. 

"What does this have to do with anything?  It’s a story about a trial of a man who killed his wife.” 

"Yes, and how did he kill his wife?”

"It appears he decided to give her a helping of frosted cyanide flakes for breakfast.  She died on her way to the hospital.”  Kasey still didn’t see what Dru was trying to show her.

"If you read further you’ll find that she had been given doses of selenium, a colorist and tasteless chemical, over a long period of time.  The guy would have gotten away with it if he hadn’t kept a journal on his computer or been so impatient.  When the feds confiscated his computer they found he had  reformatted the hard drive.  Until they found something tangible the husband was free and clear.  The feds had their best computer hackers and crackers on the job rebuilding the hard drive.  Until something is written over the top of the drive much of the information is still there.  By bits and pieces they were able to reassemble the man’s journal, which laid out all of his plans.  The doses, what, where and when.  They had their man.”  Dru clicked through the pages.

"I still don’t understand what that has to do with anything?” questioned Kasey.

"Here read this.” 

"Wow, that’s what you mentioned in the cave.  The sulfur smell.”

"Exactly.  I caught the light smell of rotten eggs, though very slight, it was still there.  My question at the time, why was it there? I’ve used similar lotions before and they never had that kind of fragrance.”

"So what does that have to do with this?”  Kasey pointed to the laptop.

"The husband was the one who put the selenium in his wife’s makeup.  This was absorbed through the skin.  It was found he had spiked all of her make up and bath supplies with it.  These doses built up in his wife’s system causing dizziness and muscle weakness among other physical problems.”

"Isn’t that much of what Robbie is suffering from?”  Kasey knew the answer before Dru replied.

Dru nodded, "And all of Robbie’s symptoms match these.” 

"Are you saying Mason is poisoning her?”

"Could be, but until I have some proof I can’t say.” 

"But he acts like he really loves her.”  Kasey was upset because she liked Mason.

"Yeah. You have to remember I’m only guessing, there are no facts to substantiate what I’ve said.  Until then I’m just working through this.”  Dru ran a hand down Kasey’s back enjoying the feeling of the warmth found there.  The blonde almost purred causing the taller woman to smile. 

"You want to go back to bed?”  The younger woman asked with a hint of something else.

A dark eyebrow rose, "Sounds like a plan.  I couldn’t sleep earlier until I figured out what I was looking for.  Felt like when I forget something and try to remember it.  Until I do my mind keeps whirling until I find the answer.” Dru pulled the young woman onto her lap.

Kasey snuggled into her arms.  "Hope you didn’t hurt anything with all that whirling going on?”  she chuckled into Dru’s neck.

"GGGGRrrrrrrr.  Go on and make fun of me, but the cost of doing so is enormous.” Dark eyebrows waggled.

"Oh I’m scared.” Kasey felt a poke in her ribs, as both women laughed.

"You will be.”

"Oh?”

"Here little girl, little girl. I have something to show you!”  Dru burred.

"Un huh, and I can’t wait.” Kasey jumped up pulling the older woman with her.  "Let’s get to it.”

Rolling her blue eyes Dru followed.  "You’re incorrigible.  And here I thought you the defenseless delicate creature I first saw in the black dress at that dinner party.”

"Honey, you can’t tell a book by its cover, you should know that.  You’re a great example acting the stoic, grumpy, foul tempered writer.” 

"I’m not grumpy!” Dru stated, pulling Kasey up short from the bed.

It was the blonde’s turn to raise an eyebrow.  "If you say so.”

"You’re going to pay big time for that.”  Dru picked up the smaller woman, who squeaked, and dumped her with a bounce onto their bed then crawled into bed beside her lover.

A shout from downstairs brought Dru upright in bed a second later her long, tanned body was dashing into the hallway.  She was sure it came from Carla’s room.  The door was open.  The house was dark, peering inside the room gave her only outlines of shadows.  Moonlight cast a glow over Carla who laid in bed, staring up with fear-filled eyes.  The writer followed the direction of those eyes and found another form.  A slender shadow all in black, arm raised as if holding something.  Dru realized it was a pistol and froze.

"Who are you and what do you want?”  Iggy’s voice shook with rage. She hadn’t seen the publisher, but was able to pick her out from the direction of her voice.

While Iggy was keeping the intruder’s attention Dru tried to slid in behind the form.  Suddenly the gun was pointed in her direction.  Then waved for her to join Iggy.  For the moment Dru went along with the intruder’s demand.  She noticed that Kasey hadn’t followed, and breathed a sigh of relief, which changed instantly to fear when she noticed her lover in the shadows just outside the door watching.

"I swear if you hurt her I’ll come after you and make sure you never hurt anyone else again.”  Iggy threatened.

Dru didn’t think this was exactly the correct way of approaching this situation, or diffusing it. 

"It’s all your fault!!” the voice instantly shut Iggy’s mouth.  It was one of close familiarity. 

"Robby?” the startled publisher whispered. "What are you doing, honey?”

"Don’t honey me, you are always giving your attention to everyone else.  I no longer fit into your life.”  Robby’s voice was cold.

"That’s not true, I’m always phoning and coming by.” Iggy started to move forward, but stopped as the gun, Robby held, aimed directly at her mid-section.

"No.  You phoned when you found a minute or two in your schedule.  You used to always be there for me.  It was fine when you thought you loved Dru, because we both knew she wasn’t going to return your affections.  I was safe then, but it all changed when you decided to take this other slut.”

Iggy’s eyes glowed with anger in the dark. "What is this about, Robby?  It’s not making any sense to me.  I’m your sister, family!!!”

"That’s just it.” Dru added.  "Isn’t it Robby? For years you were Iggy’s only focus, and slowly her publishing company began to take her away, and now Carla.  More and more time was being stolen from you.”  The writer’s voice was low and soothing.  "When you were kids, Iggy was always there to encourage you, pay attention when no one else did.”

"Yes.  She was mine.  I was the one everyone loved and said would do great things in life.”  The gun in Robby’s hand shook slightly.  "But Iggy started the publishing company.  She became someone.”

"And instead you married and settled down.  That wasn’t enough for you?”  Dru tried to keep the woman talking.  Kasey had maneuver her way closer to the younger sister.

"Being married was like being nothing.  I no longer existed.  All my opportunities kept slipping through my fingers.”

"You still have opportunities!” Iggy declared, frustrated and confused.  "What about your painting?”

"NO! It’s all your fault.  All you had to do was pay attention to me, and you didn’t.”  The gun raised again and steadied.

Dru moved forward to block the woman’s aim of her sister. "You poisoned yourself on purpose to get Iggy here?”

"Yes.  It was the only thing I could think of.  She would come and hold me like when we were kids.  But she would always leave again.”

"Are you going to shoot all of us?”  Dru took another step forward forcing Robby to focus most of her attention on her and not her partner who was almost within arms reach of Robby.  "You’ll never get away with it Robby.”

"I don’t have to get away with it.  My name will be in the papers and I’ll be someone.  People will know who I am.”

Iggy moved around Dru, "You’re crazy!”

The shot rang out and seemed to suck out all the air in the room.  A communal gasp from the inhabitants filled the air.  Everything suddenly stopped.  Breathing, thinking, existing, a lamp by the bed burst into flying glass shards, and everything began moving again, showing Kasey struggling with Robby for the possession of the pistol.

Quickly Iggy and Dru were there to lend a hand.  Kasey finally wrestled the lethal instrument away from the smaller woman.  Iggy pulled off the black hood Robby was wearing exposing her sister’s face.  Dru turned on the lights.  Carla climbed out of bed threw her arms about the publisher who stood broken hearted over her sister. 

The publisher stared at her younger sister. "What on earth were you thinking?  You could have killed someone.” 

Cold eyes locked onto Iggy’s making her take a step backwards.  This wasn’t the sister she had known all her life. 

"What do you want to do now?” Dru asked Iggy.

"Would you mind phoning the police?”  The publisher’s voice was flat and lifeless.  Dru nodded and left the room.

Sirens announced the approach of the authorities.  No one said a word.  The publisher turned to Carla and wrapped her into her arms. 

"It’s ok baby.” Carla stroked the publisher’s head that was nestled in her shoulder.

Not once did Robby say a word to Iggy.  The officers put handcuffs on the slender woman, and read the Meranda to her.  A female officer patted her down to make sure there were no hidden surprises.  There were none.  Holding her head high Robby was led out of the house to the patrol car. 

Each woman was interviewed separately by an officer.  The sun was just peeking over the horizon when they left, leaving the four women to their own thoughts. 

Kasey and Carla went to the kitchen to make coffee.  No one was in the mood for sleep. 

"How are you doing?” Dru asked.

"I’m not sure.  Kind of numb I guess.” Iggy’s pain filled brown eyes looked up.  "I love my sister, and never even knew her.”

"She’s sick, but now she will get some help. Then hopefully you’ll be able to rebuild your relationship.” 

"I just don’t understand Dru.  How could this happen?  She had everything.  If I didn’t give it to her Mason would, we both loved her, and would do anything for her.”

"In Robby’s mind it wasn’t enough.  Somewhere along the line her love for you got twisted.  Give her some time with professional help.  Let her learn no matter who else you love she will always be your sister and that love is a constant.”  Dru patted Iggy on the shoulder and received a grateful smile. 

"Thanks.”

"I smell coffee, let’s go and get some.”  Dru led Iggy towards the kitchen and the two women that loved them.

****

A knock on their door caused both women to groan.  Kasey covered her head with a pillow.  "Go away!”

Dru pulled the covers over her head mumbling something intelligible into the blankets, which sounded a lot like she was going to stuff someone in a box and mail them to Santa.

The door opened a crack, and a platinum blonde head poked in.  "Ok lazy bones time to get up.” 

Dru pulled the blanket down to look at the publisher, "Why?”

"Because there’s a woman down stairs saying she’s your Aunt Florence.” A smile played at the corners of Iggy’s mouth.  The woman seemed to have come to terms with recent events.  Mason came by while they were all drinking coffee on the patio watching the sunrise.  He looked horrible, Iggy was able to get him to go to bed in one of her guest rooms.  Together they would help each other through this.  The man had no one else, and Iggy felt responsible.  Carla seemed to know exactly what Iggy needed and how.  The woman was remarkable. 

Kasey had taken Dru’s hand.  "I’m going to try and catch a few ‘zzzzs before the day is too far gone. Want to join me?”  A small smile played on her lover’s mouth.

"Sure.” Dru then looked over at Carla, and the secretary nodded indicating she would take care of Iggy.  Sleep came quickly.  Until the knocking on the door.

"Aunt Flo?”  Both Dru and Kasey looked at each other.  "We were suppose to meet her. Iggy, would you mind letting her know I’ll be right down?”

"No problem, I’ll fix her a cup of coffee.”

"You know how to make coffee?” The good natured jab was a total turn-around from their normal hostile attitudes toward each other.  Another fact measuring the changes in both women while suffering their experience in the cave together and facing a gun totting Robby.

"You’d be surprised, but now I may not give you any if you complain too much."

"Me complain? I never complain!” Huffed the writer.

"Yeah, right.” A muffle reply from under a pillow next to her responded.

"Hey, no wise cracks from the peanut gallery.”  Dru then found the ticklish spots available to her on the smaller woman next to her.  Fits of laughter and screams of revenge followed Iggy down the steps.

"They’ll be down in a few Ms. Warlord,” Iggy took in the family resemblance.  Even the eyes had the same intensity.  She sported a white blazer over a purple silk blouse with matching white pants.  Her tastes were similar to Dru’s also, noted the publisher.  If Dru ages as well as her Aunt she’ll look good for years to come.  She could only hope she’d be that lucky.  Her eye caught Carla’s.  A connection of high intensity was immediate.  Even with her cast on, Carla didn’t let it slow her down last night in showing Iggy exactly what she thought about her.  Whew, she thought she was lucky she lived through it.  But what a way to go.  The woman was incredible.  The heat began to build between her legs just thinking about it and it was as if the secretary could read her mind because she winked, causing her partner to roll her eyes.

This hadn’t escape Flo’s attention, and she smiled when Iggy handed her a mug full of dark coffee.  "Thank you.” They walked out to the patio where pastries filled a plate.  "I went crazy when I heard the news of the cave-in.  But I couldn’t get anyone to tell me anything, and they wouldn’t let me up near the mine.  Only this morning did I find out from an officer that they found you all safe and sound.”  Her glance at Carla’s leg caused a raised eyebrow by the woman.

"They found us?? That’s a laugh, we found them.” Came the alto voice of her niece from behind Florence.  Dru leaned down and placed a loving kiss on her aunt’s cheek.  "Sorry Flo for not contacting you.  Everything just happened so quickly.”

"That’s what you always say.” The older woman grunted good naturedly, and patted the hand on her shoulder. 

"Always say? How many times have I been in a cave-in?”  Dru bantered with her aunt while pouring a cup of coffee for herself and Kasey, who just finished up giving her own kiss on the cheek to Florence.

"What is this with repeating everything everyone asks you today, honey?” Kasey said sliding into the chair next to her lover, nudging her friend with a chuckle.

"Because everyone keeps saying things that amaze me.  Like when am I ever grumpy?”  She asked, with a smirk.

All of the women at the table stared at her with the exact same expression of ‘Yeah right’.  A sudden burst of laughter from Kasey set them all off.  Even the stoic writer. 

"Ok, I admit maybe once in awhile I may get a little out of sorts.” Dru admitted,  Iggy snickered, Carla covered her mouth, and Kasey outright laughed having to hold her sides.  Florence just shook her head. 

"Sorry honey, but you’re never going to convince us.  We know the truth.”  Flo winked.

"Now even my family is turning against me.  What is this world coming to?”  For the rest of breakfast they filled Flo in on all the events they had endured.  The matriarch listened and thanked the gods that be, for the protection of her niece and her friends.  It took a couple of hours sharing coffee and conversation to catch the woman up to date. 

"Why don’t we head to town and grab that ice cream we were supposed to get the other day, my treat?”  Florence offered. 

"Sounds good to me.” Dru popped up.

"Me too.”  Kasey chimed in.  Iggy and Carla agreed along with the others.  They all piled into Iggy’s car and headed to Jackson.  Other than grabbing the door handle and covering her eyes twice Dru was happy to finally have the car parked.  All climbed out and found themselves traipsing into the local ice cream parlor.  Chairs scraped across linoleum scratched floors, from years of other people seating themselves. 

Kasey leaned her head on Dru’s shoulder, batting her eyes up at the taller woman planting a silly grin on her face. "And what may I ask are you going to have?”

Two dark eyebrows disappeared into dark bangs.  Then a wicked grin responded quickly, "are we talking ice cream or something other than?”

"Whatever you want baby?” Still Kasey poked her lover in the ribs. 

"Now children be good!” Flo admonished good naturedly.  Iggy and Carla chuckled.

"I think I’m going to have the monster banana split.” Dru expressed as she folded up her menu.  Iggy mouth was bouncing on the table top.  "What?” Dru asked her. "Love them.”

"How do you keep your shape eating like that?  If I ate the way you pile it away, I’d be rolling into my office instead of walking.”

"Don’t worry baby, I’d love you no matter what your size.” Smiled Carla.

"Oh you would?”  Iggy grunted, "Would you also pay for my hospital bills for my first heart attack?”

"Hmm, you may have something there, but once in awhile no biggie honey.” The secretary patted the publisher’s hand.

"The way Dru exercises she’ll burn her banana split off in no time.”  The smaller blonde clued the other in.

"Dang, are you saying I’m going to have to exercise?”  Iggy smirked.

The waitress took their orders and went off chuckling. 

The door opened sending a draft along with it.  An older woman with white hair walked in.  Kasey elbowed Dru as she greeted the woman. "Ms. Bussard, how are you?”

Startled the older woman flashed a brilliant smile in their direction.  "My goodness, this is a small world.” The older woman stopped.  "What a wonderful surprise to see you both again.”  She winked at the couple, and for no reason Dru felt herself blush. "Have you decided if you’d like to rent the bungalow?”

"Umm, we haven’t had much time to really think about it.” The dark haired woman replied, but her eyes connected with her lover’s. And everyone could see the sparks fly between them.

"Well, the place is just waiting when you finally realize it’s made for you.” Kairen chuckled.

It was at that moment Dru knew beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the woman was correct.  The place was perfect for them.  And having experienced all they had in the short time they’d been together, it was the only way to really start out their lives together, in their own place.  Dru turned to see Kasey watching her very closely.  For a moment it was only the two of them in the ice cream parlor.  Green eyes swimming in azure blue.  "Would you live with me for the rest of our lives?”

Kasey’s eyes misted up, but twinkled with love and devotion, and nodded. "Yes, and beyond.”

THE END OF EXTREME MEASURES

I would like to thank everyone who waited for the conclusion of my story.  I apologize again for taking so long.  Hope I didn’t disappoint you in how I ended it? (smile) 

Candy

Return to Main Page

Copyright © 2001 All Rights Reserved
Webmaster:Dru Warlord