-------------------------000000000000000000000000000000000000------------------------

Ephiny and Xena had been sparring all morning. She was actually giving Xena a run for her money. “Tired yet warrior princess?” she poked Xena before taking a swig of water.

“You wish.” Xena said with a gleam in her eyes. Just then 2 sentries walked up and bowed. The red head spoke. “Ephiny. Queen Gabrielle and Ava have returned. They should be arriving within minutes.”

“Very well. I will be at the gates momentarily.” Said Ephiny. “You coming with Xena?”

“Go on. I will be there as soon as I put these weapons away.” She said feeling butterflies in her stomach.

Xena neatly tucked each weapon away as she noticed her breath was coming in short waves. By the Gods she was nervous. She had to suppress this. She breathed deeply and started walking towards the gates.  When she was a few feet away from Ephiny, her eyes fell upon a chocolate horse. As her eyes moved up, she saw Gabrielle holding on to the saddle horn, wind blowing her short blonde hair and of course she was midsentence. Xena noticed her head was turned and suddenly she noticed the hands holding the reins of the horse, neatly tucked around Gabrielle, riding in front. She studied the woman. She had dust colored skin and eyes the color of rain. From the looks of it she was a warrior. Her locs hung past her shoulders. She was gorgeous especially with those freckles. It irritated her beyond belief.

She watched as Ava dismounted and held out her hands for Gabrielle as she slid into her embrace. They were so wrapped up in each other that Ephiny startled them when she called out. She could see them having a conversation about something Gabrielle didn ’t like. But she was too far away to hear. Then finally those Emerald eyes met hers, for the first time in months.

 

“I know but, I still think things would be calmer if women ran the world.” Gabrielle argued to the beautiful woman behind her.

“Ok, I am not disagreeing, I am just pointing out that things wouldn ’t be as rosy as you think they would be.” She chuckled.

“Ok impasse.” Said Gabrielle. “I love our talks. I love that you like them too.” Her nose began to scrunch.

“Is the bard blushing?” Ava spoke as Gabrielle smiled. “I love our talks too.”

Gabrielle felt the butterflies in her stomach flapping wildly. Of course, that happened any time Ava was near. “Do you want to have a picnic with me now that we are back?”

Ava dismounted Katsina without answering. She had already noticed who she assumed to be Xena, standing there waiting for Gabrielle. Just then she looked up into those Emerald green eyes sparkling down at her. She almost lost her breath. “Come on beautiful.” She spoke opening her arms wide. Gabrielle swung her leg over and happily slid into her love ’s arms.

“So, are you going to leave a girl hanging?” Gabrielle asked as Ava reached for her Gabrielle ’s backpack and handbag that were hanging on her Katsina ’s saddle.

“I would love to. But we can ’t.” said Ava averting her eyes. She could feel the scowl on Gabrielle ’s face.

“Why not?” Gabrielle frowned.

“Someone is waiting to see you.” She said with half smile. “Go on.”

Suddenly, Ephiny walked up calling out to them. It startled Gabrielle.

“She ’s right Gabrielle. Xena has been here for seven days. “Ephiny spoke. “She has a lot of questions.”

Finally, Gabrielle turned and looked into piercing blue eyes. She still loved her despite herself she fought it. Was it possible to love Xena and Ava at the same time? She couldn ’t be with both. But she wanted to be with Ava. Xena had wanted her to move on. But Ava made her promise to try. So, she would. She looked at Ava with pleading eyes. “I am nervous. Would you come with me?”

“You want me to come with you, to meet Xena?” Ava asked confused.

“Yes, you don ’t have to stay. But I am scared, and you make me feel better. Please?”

Ava could see the gentleness that gave way to the fear of this reunion in her love ’s eyes. She could not refuse. So slowly they turned and walked to towards a nervously waiting Xena.

When they were a few feet away Gabrielle stopped not wanting to get to close. Not wanting to show how much she cared for Ava ’s sake. Silence. Ephiny realized no one was saying anything.  Xena stared, while Gabrielle averted her eyes.

“Go on.” Gabrielle felt Ava ’s strong hand at her back.

Finally, Gabrielle looked up. “Hi.” Was all she could think to say.

“Hey.” Xena replied.

Ava saw the tension needed to be broken. So, she held out her arm to Xena. “Hi, I am Ava.”

Xena clasped her arm hesitantly. “Hi, friend. I am Xena. I hear you have been taking care Gabrielle. I thank you for that.”

“It was a pleasure.” Ava said as she turned to look into Emerald green orbs. They were pleading with her to stay. “Brie, I am going to find Anaiya, to get an update on the council.” She said as she kissed her cheek. “You can do this.” Ava said then she looked at Ephiny motioning for her to walk with her.

 

Ava caught up with Anaiya. She was sparring. Anaiya had just finished a match and she turned to see Ava standing just inside the sparring ring. She smiled as her eyes fell upon her best friend. She ran to meet her.

“Hey stranger I missed you.” Said Anaiya.

“Naiya. I missed you too.” She smiled as they hugged. “Let ’s take a walk.”

As they settled infront of the lake in the woods nearby Ava quietly stared. “Any word from the council?” she asked.

“Yea, they want to meet with us in a spirit connection in two days.” Anaiya spoke curiously.

“Good, we can leave tomorrow evening.” Ava said not looking into Anaiya ’s eyes. Knowing her friend was in distress over Gabrielle, she decided to push a little.

“She loves you, Ava.” Anaiya spoke. “We all see it. She will choose you.”

Ava felt disheartened. She knew she had done the right thing. But she was already so completely and irrevocably in love. “It doesn ’t matter Naiya.” She spoke in a slow long whisper of a voice. “She belongs with Xena. You know the stories.”

“What about your heart Ava?” Anaiya spoke. “Your whole life you have given yourself to everyone. When You found Anessa, I was so happy. When she died my heart ached for my best friend. Now love has found you once again.” She spoke as she got up in Ava ’s face. “What happened up in that cabin that made you so afraid?”

Ava thought about Gabrielle and her heart raced. She didn ’t mean to let her in so deeply, but it was too late. Still, she had a responsibility to all time. She had to stay focused. “It doesn ’t matter Naiya, you know what must be done.” She spoke matter of factly. “We leave for the cabin tomorrow afternoon.”

 

 

The walk to the queen ’s hut was silent. Xena felt her heart beating a mile a minute. But someone had to break the silence. Their dinner long gone; they began to ready themselves for bed. Xena sharpening her sword and Gabrielle picking up her scroll to write. Long moments passed and Xena couldn ’t take it anymore. So, she sheathed her sword and walked over to the chair Gabrielle sat in. She squatted in front of her and took the quill from her hand and placed it on the table.  Then she looked up into emerald orbs. “I ’ve missed you.” She spoke in a whisper.

Gabrielle ’s heart ached as she felt Xena embrace her. Her body tingled as well. “I missed you so much Xena.” She pulled back and smiled. But hurt gripped her heart. She looked deep into blue eyes. “Why were you gone so long?”

Xena backed away. She didn ’t know what to say. “I am sorry Gabrielle; the mission took longer than I ….” Her words were cut off by the bard ’s voice.

“Mission? Xena, I know there was no mission. I know you were giving me space. Space to get over you. But what I can not understand is why you were gone so long. Four months after you said you would return. You sent no word to say that you were ok. I thought you would never come back. Now magically you ’re back. I need more of an explanation Xena.” Gabrielle spoke without taking a breath.

Xena was speechless. She had not meant to stay away so long. But as the time went by it just became easier than facing her feelings.

“I am sorry Gabrielle. I didn ’t mean to lie to you. The funny part is, I actually believed you bought it.” Said Xena feeling remorseful.

“I know you like I know my own heart, Xena.” Gabrielle spoke tilting Xena ’s face towards her own. “I know when you set your mind to something, I can ’t change it. I just want to forget about it, ok.”

It occurred to Gabrielle that if she kept talking that she would have to talk about Ava. She couldn ’t handle that right now. So, she acted as if she was done with the conversations.

“Ok.” Xena smiled back at her friend. “Come to bed. We ’ll spend some time together tomorrow.”

Gabrielle took Xena ’s hand as she led her to the bed. As they settled in, she reluctantly felt like she was home.

 

---------------------------------00000000000000000000000000000000000000000------------------------

Gabrielle had made it the sparring ring just in time to see Ava walk up.

“Hey beautiful, what are you doing here? I thought you would still be asleep.” Ava smiled.

“I just wanted to spend some time with you.” Gabrielle spoke softly. “Besides, Xena being here doesn ’t change the fact that I need exercise, right?”

“I guess.” Ava said shaking her head knowing it was a ruse.

A few hours later they had finished a run, sparring, and a cool down version of yoga.

“That was a new move, right?” Ava said before she began to gulp down water.

“Yep!” said Gabrielle smiling proudly. “Did you like it?”

“I loved it. You know your technique is really developing.” Ava said with pride.

 Gabrielle was content that she had impressed her teacher. She considered the fact that she had never had this feeling with Xena. A need to impress her with her continued learning.  She decided to ask ava to talk.

“Ava, are you really ok? You know with me and Xena, trying?” she asked bravely.

Ava did not want to have this conversation. She was already having a hard time with the idea of not being with Gabrielle, she had to stay strong. This was for the best. She decided to avoid Gabrielle until she and Anaiya could leave quietly later.

“Brie, can we talk about this later, I have to go and talk to Naiya about some things.” She said feeling her heart drop at lying to Gabrielle for the first time.

Gabrielle heard a suspicious tone in Ava ’s voice. But she decided to trust her.

“Alright.” She said narrowing her eyes.

 Xena woke before she lifted her eyelids. She had slept restful for the first time since she had left Gabrielle behind. She felt like she had come home. She smiled with her eyes closed as she reached to her side, where Gabrielle was sleeping. Or so she thought, but when she reached for her all she felt were the furs on the bed. She opened her eyes to confirm the empty space next to her. She looked out the window to see the sun had not even risen yet.  Suddenly the door to the queen ’s hut opened slightly as Gabrielle stepped in wearing a brown top and some sort of short version of pants. She watched her through mostly closed lids until Gabrielle began to take off her boots.

“Well, you were up early.” Xena spoke in a groggy voice sitting up. “When did this happen?”

Gabrielle jumped a little startled by Xena ’s voice. “I ’m sorry Xena I didn ’t want to wake you. It was so early.”

“It ’s alright.” Xena smiled. “You beat my wakeup time. Maybe I should leave you alone more often.”

“Ha. Ha. Very funny.” Gabrielle joked as she made a face at Xena with a silly smile.

“I missed this. The day to day of us.” Xena smiled as she gazed into emerald orbs. “Where ’d you go this early any ways?”

Gabrielle turned her back to Xena not wanting to answer. Saved by a knock she ’d heard at the door; it was two sentries bring in 7 buckets of steaming water for her bath.

“Will that be all my queen?” The young red head asked.

“Yes, Jessa.” She spoke smiling at the young amazon.

“My queen, will you and Ava be sparring at any time today? We just want to know if we should clear the ring at a certain time.” Jessa asked.

“No, Jessa. That will be all.”

 Gabrielle sat again and began unlacing her boots again. She was hoping Xena forgot about her question. But this was Xena, so her hopes were quickly dashed when she heard Xena speak again.

“So, where ’d you go?” Xena asked again, curious that she had not received an answer yet.

Gabrielle avoided her eyes and spoke. “Um, Ava and I went on our morning run and sparring session, and then we did a cool down session with yoga.”

Xena got butterflies in her stomach as she listened to Gabrielle describe her morning routine with Ava. After all, Gabrielle never had a morning routine with her. She decided to ignore the feeling she so clearly recognized as jealousy.

Hours later after Gabrielle met with the amazon council and Xena had sparred with a few of the amazons she decided to take Gabrielle on a picnic.

“So, when do you want to leave?” Gabrielle asked. Their lunch was long gone, and their bellies were full. She knew Xena would get antsy soon and want to leave. She decided she would just request that they return in half moon.

“Why do you want to leave? I thought we could stay for a while. Spend some time together, get used to each other again.” She spoke. Xena didn ’t want to stay really, but she could tell that Gabrielle wanted to stay for some reason. She wanted to give her the space to decide that she really wanted to come with her this time.

“Really?! Gabrielle ’s face lit up. “Thank you, Xena!” She hugged her really tight.

As she pulled back, she felt her breath catch as she stared down into sea green eyes. They were so close they could feel each other ’s breath. She felt Gabrielle pull away. She wondered why but was afraid to ask. So, she let it go for the time being.

 

 

 

“You know she ’s going to be upset, don ’t you?” Ephiny said pacing the room of her hut.

“Yes, my love, but Ava is insisting we leave tonight while everyone is at dinner.” Anaiya spoke not wanting to argue.

“Naiya, what happened in that cabin?” She asked. “Ava has avoided me and Gabrielle all day.”

Anaiya knew she shouldn ’t assume, even though she suspected she was right that Ava was running from her feelings. But she knew she had to say something.

“I am not entirely sure Eph. But Ava seems to insist that Gabrielle spend time with Xena. I am not sure why. I will try and find out. For now, I need you to go to dinner and try and distract Gabrielle for me while we leave tonight.” She pleaded as she kissed Ephiny gently.

“Ok. But she is definitely going to kill me when she realizes Ava left without saying goodbye.” Ephiny spoke as she turned to leave.

“Thank you, my love.”

“Dinner was particularly nice tonight; don ’t you guys think?” said Gabrielle as she walked with Xena and Ephiny from the dining hall.

Xena and Ephiny both chuckled at the bard ’s veracious appetite.

“Eph, I wanted to ask you, where Ava was. We were supposed to talk but I noticed she was not at dinner.” Gabrielle asked as innocently as possible.

Ephiny didn ’t know what to say. She thought it would be morning before Gabrielle asked. She was not ready to answer the question, but she knew she had to. She began to try and formulate an answer when she heard Gabrielle ’s voice sounding slightly aggressive.

“Eph.” she said grabbing Ephiny ’s arm. “Where is she?”

“I ’m sorry Gabrielle, Naiya made me promise not to say anything until..” but her words were cut off.

“Not to tell me what?” Gabrielle said angrily.

“She and Anaiya left during dinner. She didn ’t say when they ’d be back”

 

“What?!” Gabrielle almost yelled.  Suddenly the conversation she had with Ava about talking came back to her head. She realized Ava was avoiding eye contact.

She felt her breathing speed up. Why did Ava insist on her being with Xena. She couldn ’t stand not knowing where she was or if she was safe. Suddenly Xena ’s voice jostled her out of her thoughts.

“Gabrielle? Are you alright?” Xena asked beginning to put the pieces of the situation together.

“I ’m fine Xena.” Gabrielle said barely above a whisper. “I think I am ready for bed.”

“Come on.” Xena said.

Xena was beginning to realize this Ava meant something more to Gabrielle than she was trying to let show. She had never considered the fact that Gabrielle could fall for someone else. She tried to keep the butterflies in her stomach still.

They reached the Queen ’s hut and Xena opened the door for Gabrielle. As she walked in, Gabrielle considered Ava ’s words as they started their journey home from the Cabin.

Brie. I know you don t understand. But your destiny is with Xena. You will understand soon I promise beautiful.” Ava s words hit Gabrielle like a rock in the gut. She had wanted to be stubborn, but she also had the strange need to make Ava happy no matter what.

By the time the memory had subsided she noticed Xena was staring at her while she was in her thought process.

“What?” Gabrielle asked innocently.

“Nothing, I… you just seem so far away.” Xena said sadness in her voice.

Gabrielle could sense a change in Xena since she had returned.

“No Xena, I am right here.” Gabrielle turned her head to the side and stared.

“Now why are you staring?” Xena said half joking.

Gabrielle considered saying out loud what she was thinking. Then she decided to go for it. So, she turned her back and spoke.

“Xena, I was sort of wondering.. um” her words trailed off as her breath sped up.

“Spit it out Gabrielle.” Xena said growing impatient.

“Well, I, will you hold me tonight? I missed you; I promise I won ’t ask again.” Gabrielle spoke.

When she got no answer, she felt her heart drop. Gods she missed Ava.

But then she heard a small voice that sounded like Xena.

“Come on my little bard.”   When she turned, she saw Xena lying in the bed holding the blanket open. She happily slid in.

 

---------------------------------00000000000000000000000000000000--------------------------------------

“You gonna tell me what happened between you two?” Anaiya spoke softly as she handed Ava a cup of herbal tea. They made it to the cabin a few hours later.  Ava had been quiet the entire time.

 “Naiya, please. This is hard enough without all the questions.” Ava said trying to avoid the subject.

“Why, Ava? I know you love her. Why is it so easy for you to let her go? You ’re in love with her, just like Nessa.” Naiya said speaking frankly. “I know the mission and the prophecy. But What if you live? Can you seriously watch her be happy with someone else? A someone who, might I add, left her.

Ava turned to Anaiya. “How do you know that?”

“It helps that my girlfriend is good friends with yours.” Anaiya said before she could stop the words from spilling out. It had not occurred to her that she hadn ’t discussed her relationship with Ephiny yet.

“Wait, you and Ephiny? That ’s wonderful Naiya. I am Glad you have somewhere to settle once the battle is finished.” Ava smiled.

Before Anaiya could respond, they heard pulsing from the communication crystal sitting on the table in front of the couch.

The Council was 2 days early with their call.

 

A few hours later they knew everything.

“What are we going to do?” Anaiya asked. “If it ’s true, and you are the reincarnation of Xena ’s soul, which explains a lot. And with Anessa being the reincarnated soul of Gabrielle, that means, you were always meant to be with her.

“I know.” Ava spoke. “But the mission still must be completed. I will remain here, and you will return to the amazons. I need you to pretend you don ’t know anything. I need a few more days. I am going to move the cabin to a different location. Knowing Brie, she will insist on coming to find me.”

“Ava, I can ’t lie. Why won ’t you just come back with me? We can tell them the truth together.” Anaiya said trying to encourage her friend.

“No. We will tell them the truth but at the right time.  If Daemon is due here in a few weeks, it is the only way to protect everyone. Tell them any earlier and they will only put themselves in harms way. I have to preserve them, all of them.”

 

----------------------------------0000000000000000000000000000000------------------------------------------

 

“You know you still suck at hunting.” Xena chuckled at her blond companion.

It had been three days since Anaiya and Ava left and she and Xena had begun to relearn each other.  Gabrielle had to admit that she was still in love. It was nice to be near Xena again.

“Hey, no teasing.” Gabrielle pushed her back.

Xena felt her heartbeat speed up. She was so happy to be where she was.

“I was wondering if we could have dinner in the hut tonight, just us 2?” Xena asked.

Xena could not help wanting to make the bard happy.

“Ok.” Gabrielle said curiously.

A few hours later they were laughing and joking with full bellies. It felt good to be near Xena again. It felt good to hold her. But still Ava ’s face was strong in her mind. Why did Xena give her time love and affection, when she never planned to be with her. Ava was every bit the dark warrior, yet she loved her so freely.

“Hey, where are you?” Xena spoke pulling Gabrielle out of her thoughts.

“I ’m sorry Xena. I was just thinking.” Gabrielle said averting her eyes. They had settled on the bed.

“Thinking about what?” Xena asked, the butterflies in her stomach growing larger.

She knew even though Gabrielle had not told her so, that Ava was giving her something Xena felt like she couldn ’t. But it still seemed like she had the bard ’s heart as well.

Gabrielle took a deep breath and decided to tell Xena she was still in love. She braced herself.

“Well, I was thinking about how right it feels with you here these last few days.” She spoke with trepidation. “Xena, I, still, have feelings for you.”

Xena ’s heart soared for a moment and then she felt it drop like a stone. Her resolve to refuse the blond was wearing thin. But she still could not herself to indulge. She decided to remain silent. What could she say anyway?

When Gabrielle noticed the prolonged silence, she continued speaking.

“I know you don ’t want to try, but I just want you to know, I can ’t make my feelings go away so easily. If you change your mind, I want to try.” She spoke. There she had said it. Although she couldn ’t figure out why she did. But she promised.

-------------------------------------------------000000000000000000000000000000----------------------------

It had been a week since she had seen Ava ’s face, she went to the spot that the cabin was the last time she had been. But after feeling around the area, she realized that Ava had moved the cabin. She couldn ’t help but wonder if she was safe. Anaiya had returned, said she didn ’t know why Ava left or why she had not returned. But she could tell that was A lie. Gabrielle sat by the lake waiting for Xena to bring lunch down.

 

“You mean, you have known where Ava was the entire time after she left, and Gabrielle has no idea she is here?!” Ephiny yelled. “She ’s going to think I have been lying to her?”

“Yes, my love, I have been helping her keep her presence a secret. I am sure she won ’t be angry at you. There is a mission that needs to be carried out. We haven ’t told you. Ava will tell you in her own time. But she and Gabrielle have to talk. I know that too now. I just need help in getting them to accidentally run into each other.” Anaiya spoke hoping Ava would not be too mad.

“You think we should? “Ephiny spoke.

“Yea. I think we should. I know Ava needs this.” Anaiya spoke.

Ephiny considered her actions and then decided to help.

“Ok so, what I am thinking is this. I asked Ava to train Janessa. I have noticed that those to were getting pretty tight. Well, they train every afternoon by the lake before dinner. Janessa always has her dinner later. So, I can ask Gabrielle to meet you there and you just not show up. But she will see Ava and nature will take its course.” Said Anaiya.

“That ’s perfect.” Said Ephiny.

 

Gabrielle was running late to meet Ephiny. But only by a few minutes. Just as she was wondering what was going on she heard a familiar voice. She peered through the trees. She saw Ava directing and sparring with Janessa. Instead of alerting them to her presence she watched them for a while. She saw them joking and frolicking with one another. Then suddenly Janessa charged at Ava. This landed them both on the ground Janessa on top and staring into each other ’s eyes for a short time. This obviously wasn ’t the first time they had done this. Which meant Ava must have been back for a while. After a while their lesson ended, and Ava sent Janessa back to the village.

Then she sat down to take a rest, when she heard footsteps walking towards her. “Brie.” she spoke without looking.

Gabrielle could barely breathe she was so angry. “How long have you been back?”

“Brie, I, I didn ’t want to come between you two.” Ava said as she stood her back still facing Gabrielle. “You need time with her, and I won ’t be your distraction.”

Gabrielle felt her frustration build and before she knew it, she lashed out. “How long have you been spending time with Janessa?” She knew she shouldn ’t let her jealousy show but she couldn't help it.

“Brie. I was asked to train her. That ’s all. It ’s easier to do that if we are friends.” Ava spoke.

“Why do you avoid me? Why would you not tell me you had returned? I was so worried this whole time.” Gabrielle spoke in a panic as she turned Ava around.

Gabrielle slowly moved in towards Ava grabbing her waist.

“Brie, we can ’t. You promised.” She barely whispered as Gabrielle grabbed her face gently. She was so close that she could feel Gabrielle ’s breath on her lips.

As hard as it was Ava broke the embrace and backed away. Gabrielle ’s frustration resurfaced.

“So, what were those 2 weeks in the cabin. The last 8 months, were you just pretending this entire time?” Gabrielle felt her heartbeat speed up.

When Ava Looked down and did not answer she felt her chest swell.

“You were.” she whispered.

 She felt like she was going to faint, and she turned to run. But she felt Ava ’s strong hands catch her before she could.

“Hey, hey.” Ava spoke as she held the blond in place in front her. “Brie, look at me.”

She slowly raised her eyes. “You know that isn ’t true.”

Gabrielle still felt angry, she struggled against the hold she was in, but Ava was stronger.

“Brie, I, you know how I feel.” She spoke desperate to make the blond understand without uttering the words.

“Just tell me then Ava, please. I need to hear you speak it.”

As Ava looked it to Brie ’s eyes, she felt her heart melt.  She pulled the blond into her so close they could feel each other ’s breath. “I am so in love with you gorgeous.” She spoke as she claimed the blonde ’s lips. She grabbed Gabrielle ’s waist and held her tight.

As the kiss deepened, she backed Gabrielle up against a tree and her hands were everywhere. She felt Gabrielle ’s mouth open in invitation, beckoning her tongue. She obliged. As her hands continued to roam Gabrielle ’s body freely, it wasn ’t until she heard a deep moan from Gabrielle that she realized what was happening.

She gripped Gabrielle ’s wrists against the tree. “Please Brie, we have to stop.” Ava spoke out of breath as she pinned the blonde ’s wrists down by her sides.

Still barely an inch from Gabrielle ’s face her chest heaving, she did not back away, but she did not move forward either. “Please Ava, I love you. Don ’t stop.” Gabrielle spoke.

“Brie, there are things at play, things that you don ’t understand.” Ava spoke finally backing away.

“So, explain it to me. Let me in.” Gabrielle pleaded as she leaned in to kiss Ava. She was determined to love this woman. Right here, right now.  The air between them grew thick and their breathing became audible as Gabrielle whispered one word, her voice thick with desperation. “Please.” Ava ’s grip on her wrists loosened considerably.

She claimed Ava ’s full lips once more. Exploring her mouth. She slowly grabbed Ava ’s hand and slid it between her legs to cover the molten lava that had taken residence. Gabrielle arched her hips so that she pressed against Ava ’s hand, causing her to moan deep in her throat. “Gods Brie.” Ava whispered breaking the kiss. “I want you, so badly but I can ’t. I ’m sorry.” She said breathing heavily into Gabrielle ’s ear. “I know you don ’t understand but you will soon.” Ava said as she moved back staring into emerald eyes. Then she turned and left a tear sliding down her left cheek.

Gabrielle leaned against a tree and slid down the truck and huddled her face in her arms and cried. She felt so confused and alone.

Xena watched as her heart cried. Blue eyes wide with shock. Gabrielle had fallen for Ava. She would have willingly given herself to her, but Ava didn ’t allow it and she was grateful. But if she couldn ’t be with Gabrielle, maybe she deserved to be happy. She knew that she couldn ’t go back to the hut tonight and face Gabrielle. So, she decided sleeping in the stables was best.

She also decided to have a talk with Ava, who had clearly broken Gabrielle ’s heart. She needed to know why exactly, when Gabrielle was so willing. She resolved to talk to her in the morning.

------------------------------00000000000000000000000000000000000000000-----------------------------

A few hours later while laying on a blanket on top a few bails of hay in only her leathers, she felt movement and awoke slowly as she heard rustling to her left on the other side of the wall. She peered over and saw Ava, readying her horse and gear. She was obviously planning on leaving again.

Then she heard her name being called. “Xena, Xena, I know you ’re there.” Ava spoke staring at the wall.

Slowly Xena stood. “How?” was the singular word uttered from Xena ’s mouth.

“I know you were at the lake. I know what you saw and heard.” Ava said with a heavy heart.

“So, why leave her, why break her heart?” Xena practically yelled at Ava. “She ’s in love with you. And from what I heard; you love her too.” It felt like someone had punched her in the chest, letting those words fall from her lips.

Ava said nothing. She could not believe she had to encourage Gabrielle to be with someone so frustrating. She looked Xena in the eyes for a moment. Then she saw it, her soul, it was rough and raw in its form.  But looking into those Sapphire eyes, she saw herself, staring right back at her. Judging from the emotions playing across Xena ’s face, it seemed she was having a similar revelation. Even if she could not identify it for what it was.

As Ava began to mount her horse, Xena spoke. “Don ’t leave her.” It was an aggressive statement, and it got its desired response.

Ava stopped, faced Xena and spoke gently. “As I said earlier, there are things, forces at play, I know you don ’t understand. But I must protect her, you, the amazons, everyone. I can ’t explain now, but I will when the time is right. As for Gabrielle, I will never leave her Xena, in any lifetime. After all, she has you.” Ava spoke cryptically. Then she mounted Katsina and left.

Xena had no idea what Ava meant with that last statement. But she knew that she was truthful in her reply. So, she returned to her makeshift bed.

-------------------------000000000000000000000000000000000000------------------------

Ephiny and Xena had been sparring all morning. She was actually giving Xena a run for her money. “Tired yet warrior princess?” she poked Xena before taking a swig of water.

“You wish.” Xena said with a gleam in her eyes. Just then 2 sentries walked up and bowed. The red head spoke. “Ephiny. Queen Gabrielle and Ava have returned. They should be arriving within minutes.”

“Very well. I will be at the gates momentarily.” Said Ephiny. “You coming with Xena?”

“Go on. I will be there as soon as I put these weapons away.” She said feeling butterflies in her stomach.

Xena neatly tucked each weapon away as she noticed her breath was coming in short waves. By the Gods she was nervous. She had to suppress this. She breathed deeply and started walking towards the gates.  When she was a few feet away from Ephiny, her eyes fell upon a chocolate horse. As her eyes moved up, she saw Gabrielle holding on to the saddle horn, wind blowing her short blonde hair and of course she was midsentence. Xena noticed her head was turned and suddenly she noticed the hands holding the reins of the horse, neatly tucked around Gabrielle, riding in front. She studied the woman. She had dust colored skin and eyes the color of rain. From the looks of it she was a warrior. Her locs hung past her shoulders. She was gorgeous especially with those freckles. It irritated her beyond belief.

She watched as Ava dismounted and held out her hands for Gabrielle as she slid into her embrace. They were so wrapped up in each other that Ephiny startled them when she called out. She could see them having a conversation about something Gabrielle didn ’t like. But she was too far away to hear. Then finally those Emerald eyes met hers, for the first time in months.

 

“I know but, I still think things would be calmer if women ran the world.” Gabrielle argued to the beautiful woman behind her.

“Ok, I am not disagreeing, I am just pointing out that things wouldn ’t be as rosy as you think they would be.” She chuckled.

“Ok impasse.” Said Gabrielle. “I love our talks. I love that you like them too.” Her nose began to scrunch.

“Is the bard blushing?” Ava spoke as Gabrielle smiled. “I love our talks too.”

Gabrielle felt the butterflies in her stomach flapping wildly. Of course, that happened any time Ava was near. “Do you want to have a picnic with me now that we are back?”

Ava dismounted Katsina without answering. She had already noticed who she assumed to be Xena, standing there waiting for Gabrielle. Just then she looked up into those Emerald green eyes sparkling down at her. She almost lost her breath. “Come on beautiful.” She spoke opening her arms wide. Gabrielle swung her leg over and happily slid into her love ’s arms.

“So, are you going to leave a girl hanging?” Gabrielle asked as Ava reached for her Gabrielle ’s backpack and handbag that were hanging on her Katsina ’s saddle.

“I would love to. But we can ’t.” said Ava averting her eyes. She could feel the scowl on Gabrielle ’s face.

“Why not?” Gabrielle frowned.

“Someone is waiting to see you.” She said with half smile. “Go on.”

Suddenly, Ephiny walked up calling out to them. It startled Gabrielle.

“She ’s right Gabrielle. Xena has been here for seven days. “Ephiny spoke. “She has a lot of questions.”

Finally, Gabrielle turned and looked into piercing blue eyes. She still loved her despite herself she fought it. Was it possible to love Xena and Ava at the same time? She couldn ’t be with both. But she wanted to be with Ava. Xena had wanted her to move on. But Ava made her promise to try. So, she would. She looked at Ava with pleading eyes. “I am nervous. Would you come with me?”

“You want me to come with you, to meet Xena?” Ava asked confused.

“Yes, you don ’t have to stay. But I am scared, and you make me feel better. Please?”

Ava could see the gentleness that gave way to the fear of this reunion in her love ’s eyes. She could not refuse. So slowly they turned and walked to towards a nervously waiting Xena.

When they were a few feet away Gabrielle stopped not wanting to get to close. Not wanting to show how much she cared for Ava ’s sake. Silence. Ephiny realized no one was saying anything.  Xena stared, while Gabrielle averted her eyes.

“Go on.” Gabrielle felt Ava ’s strong hand at her back.

Finally, Gabrielle looked up. “Hi.” Was all she could think to say.

“Hey.” Xena replied.

Ava saw the tension needed to be broken. So, she held out her arm to Xena. “Hi, I am Ava.”

Xena clasped her arm hesitantly. “Hi, friend. I am Xena. I hear you have been taking care Gabrielle. I thank you for that.”

“It was a pleasure.” Ava said as she turned to look into Emerald green orbs. They were pleading with her to stay. “Brie, I am going to find Anaiya, to get an update on the council.” She said as she kissed her cheek. “You can do this.” Ava said then she looked at Ephiny motioning for her to walk with her.

 

Ava caught up with Anaiya. She was sparring. Anaiya had just finished a match and she turned to see Ava standing just inside the sparring ring. She smiled as her eyes fell upon her best friend. She ran to meet her.

“Hey stranger I missed you.” Said Anaiya.

“Naiya. I missed you too.” She smiled as they hugged. “Let ’s take a walk.”

As they settled infront of the lake in the woods nearby Ava quietly stared. “Any word from the council?” she asked.

“Yea, they want to meet with us in a spirit connection in two days.” Anaiya spoke curiously.

“Good, we can leave tomorrow evening.” Ava said not looking into Anaiya ’s eyes. Knowing her friend was in distress over Gabrielle, she decided to push a little.

“She loves you, Ava.” Anaiya spoke. “We all see it. She will choose you.”

Ava felt disheartened. She knew she had done the right thing. But she was already so completely and irrevocably in love. “It doesn ’t matter Naiya.” She spoke in a slow long whisper of a voice. “She belongs with Xena. You know the stories.”

“What about your heart Ava?” Anaiya spoke. “Your whole life you have given yourself to everyone. When You found Anessa, I was so happy. When she died my heart ached for my best friend. Now love has found you once again.” She spoke as she got up in Ava ’s face. “What happened up in that cabin that made you so afraid?”

Ava thought about Gabrielle and her heart raced. She didn ’t mean to let her in so deeply, but it was too late. Still, she had a responsibility to all time. She had to stay focused. “It doesn ’t matter Naiya, you know what must be done.” She spoke matter of factly. “We leave for the cabin tomorrow afternoon.”

 

 

The walk to the queen ’s hut was silent. Xena felt her heart beating a mile a minute. But someone had to break the silence. Their dinner long gone; they began to ready themselves for bed. Xena sharpening her sword and Gabrielle picking up her scroll to write. Long moments passed and Xena couldn ’t take it anymore. So, she sheathed her sword and walked over to the chair Gabrielle sat in. She squatted in front of her and took the quill from her hand and placed it on the table.  Then she looked up into emerald orbs. “I ’ve missed you.” She spoke in a whisper.

Gabrielle ’s heart ached as she felt Xena embrace her. Her body tingled as well. “I missed you so much Xena.” She pulled back and smiled. But hurt gripped her heart. She looked deep into blue eyes. “Why were you gone so long?”

Xena backed away. She didn ’t know what to say. “I am sorry Gabrielle; the mission took longer than I ….” Her words were cut off by the bard ’s voice.

“Mission? Xena, I know there was no mission. I know you were giving me space. Space to get over you. But what I can not understand is why you were gone so long. Four months after you said you would return. You sent no word to say that you were ok. I thought you would never come back. Now magically you ’re back. I need more of an explanation Xena.” Gabrielle spoke without taking a breath.

Xena was speechless. She had not meant to stay away so long. But as the time went by it just became easier than facing her feelings.

“I am sorry Gabrielle. I didn ’t mean to lie to you. The funny part is, I actually believed you bought it.” Said Xena feeling remorseful.

“I know you like I know my own heart, Xena.” Gabrielle spoke tilting Xena ’s face towards her own. “I know when you set your mind to something, I can ’t change it. I just want to forget about it, ok.”

It occurred to Gabrielle that if she kept talking that she would have to talk about Ava. She couldn ’t handle that right now. So, she acted as if she was done with the conversations.

“Ok.” Xena smiled back at her friend. “Come to bed. We ’ll spend some time together tomorrow.”

Gabrielle took Xena ’s hand as she led her to the bed. As they settled in, she reluctantly felt like she was home.

 

---------------------------------00000000000000000000000000000000000000000------------------------

Gabrielle had made it the sparring ring just in time to see Ava walk up.

“Hey beautiful, what are you doing here? I thought you would still be asleep.” Ava smiled.

“I just wanted to spend some time with you.” Gabrielle spoke softly. “Besides, Xena being here doesn ’t change the fact that I need exercise, right?”

“I guess.” Ava said shaking her head knowing it was a ruse.

A few hours later they had finished a run, sparring, and a cool down version of yoga.

“That was a new move, right?” Ava said before she began to gulp down water.

“Yep!” said Gabrielle smiling proudly. “Did you like it?”

“I loved it. You know your technique is really developing.” Ava said with pride.

 Gabrielle was content that she had impressed her teacher. She considered the fact that she had never had this feeling with Xena. A need to impress her with her continued learning.  She decided to ask ava to talk.

“Ava, are you really ok? You know with me and Xena, trying?” she asked bravely.

Ava did not want to have this conversation. She was already having a hard time with the idea of not being with Gabrielle, she had to stay strong. This was for the best. She decided to avoid Gabrielle until she and Anaiya could leave quietly later.

“Brie, can we talk about this later, I have to go and talk to Naiya about some things.” She said feeling her heart drop at lying to Gabrielle for the first time.

Gabrielle heard a suspicious tone in Ava ’s voice. But she decided to trust her.

“Alright.” She said narrowing her eyes.

 Xena woke before she lifted her eyelids. She had slept restful for the first time since she had left Gabrielle behind. She felt like she had come home. She smiled with her eyes closed as she reached to her side, where Gabrielle was sleeping. Or so she thought, but when she reached for her all she felt were the furs on the bed. She opened her eyes to confirm the empty space next to her. She looked out the window to see the sun had not even risen yet.  Suddenly the door to the queen ’s hut opened slightly as Gabrielle stepped in wearing a brown top and some sort of short version of pants. She watched her through mostly closed lids until Gabrielle began to take off her boots.

“Well, you were up early.” Xena spoke in a groggy voice sitting up. “When did this happen?”

Gabrielle jumped a little startled by Xena ’s voice. “I ’m sorry Xena I didn ’t want to wake you. It was so early.”

“It ’s alright.” Xena smiled. “You beat my wakeup time. Maybe I should leave you alone more often.”

“Ha. Ha. Very funny.” Gabrielle joked as she made a face at Xena with a silly smile.

“I missed this. The day to day of us.” Xena smiled as she gazed into emerald orbs. “Where ’d you go this early any ways?”

Gabrielle turned her back to Xena not wanting to answer. Saved by a knock she ’d heard at the door; it was two sentries bring in 7 buckets of steaming water for her bath.

“Will that be all my queen?” The young red head asked.

“Yes, Jessa.” She spoke smiling at the young amazon.

“My queen, will you and Ava be sparring at any time today? We just want to know if we should clear the ring at a certain time.” Jessa asked.

“No, Jessa. That will be all.”

 Gabrielle sat again and began unlacing her boots again. She was hoping Xena forgot about her question. But this was Xena, so her hopes were quickly dashed when she heard Xena speak again.

“So, where ’d you go?” Xena asked again, curious that she had not received an answer yet.

Gabrielle avoided her eyes and spoke. “Um, Ava and I went on our morning run and sparring session, and then we did a cool down session with yoga.”

Xena got butterflies in her stomach as she listened to Gabrielle describe her morning routine with Ava. After all, Gabrielle never had a morning routine with her. She decided to ignore the feeling she so clearly recognized as jealousy.

Hours later after Gabrielle met with the amazon council and Xena had sparred with a few of the amazons she decided to take Gabrielle on a picnic.

“So, when do you want to leave?” Gabrielle asked. Their lunch was long gone, and their bellies were full. She knew Xena would get antsy soon and want to leave. She decided she would just request that they return in half moon.

“Why do you want to leave? I thought we could stay for a while. Spend some time together, get used to each other again.” She spoke. Xena didn ’t want to stay really, but she could tell that Gabrielle wanted to stay for some reason. She wanted to give her the space to decide that she really wanted to come with her this time.

“Really?! Gabrielle ’s face lit up. “Thank you, Xena!” She hugged her really tight.

As she pulled back, she felt her breath catch as she stared down into sea green eyes. They were so close they could feel each other ’s breath. She felt Gabrielle pull away. She wondered why but was afraid to ask. So, she let it go for the time being.

 

 

 

“You know she ’s going to be upset, don ’t you?” Ephiny said pacing the room of her hut.

“Yes, my love, but Ava is insisting we leave tonight while everyone is at dinner.” Anaiya spoke not wanting to argue.

“Naiya, what happened in that cabin?” She asked. “Ava has avoided me and Gabrielle all day.”

Anaiya knew she shouldn ’t assume, even though she suspected she was right that Ava was running from her feelings. But she knew she had to say something.

“I am not entirely sure Eph. But Ava seems to insist that Gabrielle spend time with Xena. I am not sure why. I will try and find out. For now, I need you to go to dinner and try and distract Gabrielle for me while we leave tonight.” She pleaded as she kissed Ephiny gently.

“Ok. But she is definitely going to kill me when she realizes Ava left without saying goodbye.” Ephiny spoke as she turned to leave.

“Thank you, my love.”

“Dinner was particularly nice tonight; don ’t you guys think?” said Gabrielle as she walked with Xena and Ephiny from the dining hall.

Xena and Ephiny both chuckled at the bard ’s veracious appetite.

“Eph, I wanted to ask you, where Ava was. We were supposed to talk but I noticed she was not at dinner.” Gabrielle asked as innocently as possible.

Ephiny didn ’t know what to say. She thought it would be morning before Gabrielle asked. She was not ready to answer the question, but she knew she had to. She began to try and formulate an answer when she heard Gabrielle ’s voice sounding slightly aggressive.

“Eph.” she said grabbing Ephiny ’s arm. “Where is she?”

“I ’m sorry Gabrielle, Naiya made me promise not to say anything until..” but her words were cut off.

“Not to tell me what?” Gabrielle said angrily.

“She and Anaiya left during dinner. She didn ’t say when they ’d be back”

 

“What?!” Gabrielle almost yelled.  Suddenly the conversation she had with Ava about talking came back to her head. She realized Ava was avoiding eye contact.

She felt her breathing speed up. Why did Ava insist on her being with Xena. She couldn ’t stand not knowing where she was or if she was safe. Suddenly Xena ’s voice jostled her out of her thoughts.

“Gabrielle? Are you alright?” Xena asked beginning to put the pieces of the situation together.

“I ’m fine Xena.” Gabrielle said barely above a whisper. “I think I am ready for bed.”

“Come on.” Xena said.

Xena was beginning to realize this Ava meant something more to Gabrielle than she was trying to let show. She had never considered the fact that Gabrielle could fall for someone else. She tried to keep the butterflies in her stomach still.

They reached the Queen ’s hut and Xena opened the door for Gabrielle. As she walked in, Gabrielle considered Ava ’s words as they started their journey home from the Cabin.

Brie. I know you don t understand. But your destiny is with Xena. You will understand soon I promise beautiful.” Ava s words hit Gabrielle like a rock in the gut. She had wanted to be stubborn, but she also had the strange need to make Ava happy no matter what.

By the time the memory had subsided she noticed Xena was staring at her while she was in her thought process.

“What?” Gabrielle asked innocently.

“Nothing, I… you just seem so far away.” Xena said sadness in her voice.

Gabrielle could sense a change in Xena since she had returned.

“No Xena, I am right here.” Gabrielle turned her head to the side and stared.

“Now why are you staring?” Xena said half joking.

Gabrielle considered saying out loud what she was thinking. Then she decided to go for it. So, she turned her back and spoke.

“Xena, I was sort of wondering.. um” her words trailed off as her breath sped up.

“Spit it out Gabrielle.” Xena said growing impatient.

“Well, I, will you hold me tonight? I missed you; I promise I won ’t ask again.” Gabrielle spoke.

When she got no answer, she felt her heart drop. Gods she missed Ava.

But then she heard a small voice that sounded like Xena.

“Come on my little bard.”   When she turned, she saw Xena lying in the bed holding the blanket open. She happily slid in.

 

---------------------------------00000000000000000000000000000000--------------------------------------

“You gonna tell me what happened between you two?” Anaiya spoke softly as she handed Ava a cup of herbal tea. They made it to the cabin a few hours later.  Ava had been quiet the entire time.

 “Naiya, please. This is hard enough without all the questions.” Ava said trying to avoid the subject.

“Why, Ava? I know you love her. Why is it so easy for you to let her go? You ’re in love with her, just like Nessa.” Naiya said speaking frankly. “I know the mission and the prophecy. But What if you live? Can you seriously watch her be happy with someone else? A someone who, might I add, left her.

Ava turned to Anaiya. “How do you know that?”

“It helps that my girlfriend is good friends with yours.” Anaiya said before she could stop the words from spilling out. It had not occurred to her that she hadn ’t discussed her relationship with Ephiny yet.

“Wait, you and Ephiny? That ’s wonderful Naiya. I am Glad you have somewhere to settle once the battle is finished.” Ava smiled.

Before Anaiya could respond, they heard pulsing from the communication crystal sitting on the table in front of the couch.

The Council was 2 days early with their call.

 

A few hours later they knew everything.

“What are we going to do?” Anaiya asked. “If it ’s true, and you are the reincarnation of Xena ’s soul, which explains a lot. And with Anessa being the reincarnated soul of Gabrielle, that means, you were always meant to be with her.

“I know.” Ava spoke. “But the mission still must be completed. I will remain here, and you will return to the amazons. I need you to pretend you don ’t know anything. I need a few more days. I am going to move the cabin to a different location. Knowing Brie, she will insist on coming to find me.”

“Ava, I can ’t lie. Why won ’t you just come back with me? We can tell them the truth together.” Anaiya said trying to encourage her friend.

“No. We will tell them the truth but at the right time.  If Daemon is due here in a few weeks, it is the only way to protect everyone. Tell them any earlier and they will only put themselves in harms way. I have to preserve them, all of them.”

 

----------------------------------0000000000000000000000000000000------------------------------------------

 

“You know you still suck at hunting.” Xena chuckled at her blond companion.

It had been three days since Anaiya and Ava left and she and Xena had begun to relearn each other.  Gabrielle had to admit that she was still in love. It was nice to be near Xena again.

“Hey, no teasing.” Gabrielle pushed her back.

Xena felt her heartbeat speed up. She was so happy to be where she was.

“I was wondering if we could have dinner in the hut tonight, just us 2?” Xena asked.

Xena could not help wanting to make the bard happy.

“Ok.” Gabrielle said curiously.

A few hours later they were laughing and joking with full bellies. It felt good to be near Xena again. It felt good to hold her. But still Ava ’s face was strong in her mind. Why did Xena give her time love and affection, when she never planned to be with her. Ava was every bit the dark warrior, yet she loved her so freely.

“Hey, where are you?” Xena spoke pulling Gabrielle out of her thoughts.

“I ’m sorry Xena. I was just thinking.” Gabrielle said averting her eyes. They had settled on the bed.

“Thinking about what?” Xena asked, the butterflies in her stomach growing larger.

She knew even though Gabrielle had not told her so, that Ava was giving her something Xena felt like she couldn ’t. But it still seemed like she had the bard ’s heart as well.

Gabrielle took a deep breath and decided to tell Xena she was still in love. She braced herself.

“Well, I was thinking about how right it feels with you here these last few days.” She spoke with trepidation. “Xena, I, still, have feelings for you.”

Xena ’s heart soared for a moment and then she felt it drop like a stone. Her resolve to refuse the blond was wearing thin. But she still could not herself to indulge. She decided to remain silent. What could she say anyway?

When Gabrielle noticed the prolonged silence, she continued speaking.

“I know you don ’t want to try, but I just want you to know, I can ’t make my feelings go away so easily. If you change your mind, I want to try.” She spoke. There she had said it. Although she couldn ’t figure out why she did. But she promised.

-------------------------------------------------000000000000000000000000000000----------------------------

It had been a week since she had seen Ava ’s face, she went to the spot that the cabin was the last time she had been. But after feeling around the area, she realized that Ava had moved the cabin. She couldn ’t help but wonder if she was safe. Anaiya had returned, said she didn ’t know why Ava left or why she had not returned. But she could tell that was A lie. Gabrielle sat by the lake waiting for Xena to bring lunch down.

 

“You mean, you have known where Ava was the entire time after she left, and Gabrielle has no idea she is here?!” Ephiny yelled. “She ’s going to think I have been lying to her?”

“Yes, my love, I have been helping her keep her presence a secret. I am sure she won ’t be angry at you. There is a mission that needs to be carried out. We haven ’t told you. Ava will tell you in her own time. But she and Gabrielle have to talk. I know that too now. I just need help in getting them to accidentally run into each other.” Anaiya spoke hoping Ava would not be too mad.

“You think we should? “Ephiny spoke.

“Yea. I think we should. I know Ava needs this.” Anaiya spoke.

Ephiny considered her actions and then decided to help.

“Ok so, what I am thinking is this. I asked Ava to train Janessa. I have noticed that those to were getting pretty tight. Well, they train every afternoon by the lake before dinner. Janessa always has her dinner later. So, I can ask Gabrielle to meet you there and you just not show up. But she will see Ava and nature will take its course.” Said Anaiya.

“That ’s perfect.” Said Ephiny.

 

Gabrielle was running late to meet Ephiny. But only by a few minutes. Just as she was wondering what was going on she heard a familiar voice. She peered through the trees. She saw Ava directing and sparring with Janessa. Instead of alerting them to her presence she watched them for a while. She saw them joking and frolicking with one another. Then suddenly Janessa charged at Ava. This landed them both on the ground Janessa on top and staring into each other ’s eyes for a short time. This obviously wasn ’t the first time they had done this. Which meant Ava must have been back for a while. After a while their lesson ended, and Ava sent Janessa back to the village.

Then she sat down to take a rest, when she heard footsteps walking towards her. “Brie.” she spoke without looking.

Gabrielle could barely breathe she was so angry. “How long have you been back?”

“Brie, I, I didn ’t want to come between you two.” Ava said as she stood her back still facing Gabrielle. “You need time with her, and I won ’t be your distraction.”

Gabrielle felt her frustration build and before she knew it, she lashed out. “How long have you been spending time with Janessa?” She knew she shouldn ’t let her jealousy show but she couldn't help it.

“Brie. I was asked to train her. That ’s all. It ’s easier to do that if we are friends.” Ava spoke.

“Why do you avoid me? Why would you not tell me you had returned? I was so worried this whole time.” Gabrielle spoke in a panic as she turned Ava around.

Gabrielle slowly moved in towards Ava grabbing her waist.

“Brie, we can ’t. You promised.” She barely whispered as Gabrielle grabbed her face gently. She was so close that she could feel Gabrielle ’s breath on her lips.

As hard as it was Ava broke the embrace and backed away. Gabrielle ’s frustration resurfaced.

“So, what were those 2 weeks in the cabin. The last 8 months, were you just pretending this entire time?” Gabrielle felt her heartbeat speed up.

When Ava Looked down and did not answer she felt her chest swell.

“You were.” she whispered.

 She felt like she was going to faint, and she turned to run. But she felt Ava ’s strong hands catch her before she could.

“Hey, hey.” Ava spoke as she held the blond in place in front her. “Brie, look at me.”

She slowly raised her eyes. “You know that isn ’t true.”

Gabrielle still felt angry, she struggled against the hold she was in, but Ava was stronger.

“Brie, I, you know how I feel.” She spoke desperate to make the blond understand without uttering the words.

“Just tell me then Ava, please. I need to hear you speak it.”

As Ava looked it to Brie ’s eyes, she felt her heart melt.  She pulled the blond into her so close they could feel each other ’s breath. “I am so in love with you gorgeous.” She spoke as she claimed the blonde ’s lips. She grabbed Gabrielle ’s waist and held her tight.

As the kiss deepened, she backed Gabrielle up against a tree and her hands were everywhere. She felt Gabrielle ’s mouth open in invitation, beckoning her tongue. She obliged. As her hands continued to roam Gabrielle ’s body freely, it wasn ’t until she heard a deep moan from Gabrielle that she realized what was happening.

She gripped Gabrielle ’s wrists against the tree. “Please Brie, we have to stop.” Ava spoke out of breath as she pinned the blonde ’s wrists down by her sides.

Still barely an inch from Gabrielle ’s face her chest heaving, she did not back away, but she did not move forward either. “Please Ava, I love you. Don ’t stop.” Gabrielle spoke.

“Brie, there are things at play, things that you don ’t understand.” Ava spoke finally backing away.

“So, explain it to me. Let me in.” Gabrielle pleaded as she leaned in to kiss Ava. She was determined to love this woman. Right here, right now.  The air between them grew thick and their breathing became audible as Gabrielle whispered one word, her voice thick with desperation. “Please.” Ava ’s grip on her wrists loosened considerably.

She claimed Ava ’s full lips once more. Exploring her mouth. She slowly grabbed Ava ’s hand and slid it between her legs to cover the molten lava that had taken residence. Gabrielle arched her hips so that she pressed against Ava ’s hand, causing her to moan deep in her throat. “Gods Brie.” Ava whispered breaking the kiss. “I want you, so badly but I can ’t. I ’m sorry.” She said breathing heavily into Gabrielle ’s ear. “I know you don ’t understand but you will soon.” Ava said as she moved back staring into emerald eyes. Then she turned and left a tear sliding down her left cheek.

Gabrielle leaned against a tree and slid down the truck and huddled her face in her arms and cried. She felt so confused and alone.

Xena watched as her heart cried. Blue eyes wide with shock. Gabrielle had fallen for Ava. She would have willingly given herself to her, but Ava didn ’t allow it and she was grateful. But if she couldn ’t be with Gabrielle, maybe she deserved to be happy. She knew that she couldn ’t go back to the hut tonight and face Gabrielle. So, she decided sleeping in the stables was best.

She also decided to have a talk with Ava, who had clearly broken Gabrielle ’s heart. She needed to know why exactly, when Gabrielle was so willing. She resolved to talk to her in the morning.

------------------------------00000000000000000000000000000000000000000-----------------------------

A few hours later while laying on a blanket on top a few bails of hay in only her leathers, she felt movement and awoke slowly as she heard rustling to her left on the other side of the wall. She peered over and saw Ava, readying her horse and gear. She was obviously planning on leaving again.

Then she heard her name being called. “Xena, Xena, I know you ’re there.” Ava spoke staring at the wall.

Slowly Xena stood. “How?” was the singular word uttered from Xena ’s mouth.

“I know you were at the lake. I know what you saw and heard.” Ava said with a heavy heart.

“So, why leave her, why break her heart?” Xena practically yelled at Ava. “She ’s in love with you. And from what I heard; you love her too.” It felt like someone had punched her in the chest, letting those words fall from her lips.

Ava said nothing. She could not believe she had to encourage Gabrielle to be with someone so frustrating. She looked Xena in the eyes for a moment. Then she saw it, her soul, it was rough and raw in its form.  But looking into those Sapphire eyes, she saw herself, staring right back at her. Judging from the emotions playing across Xena ’s face, it seemed she was having a similar revelation. Even if she could not identify it for what it was.

As Ava began to mount her horse, Xena spoke. “Don ’t leave her.” It was an aggressive statement, and it got its desired response.

Ava stopped, faced Xena and spoke gently. “As I said earlier, there are things, forces at play, I know you don ’t understand. But I must protect her, you, the amazons, everyone. I can ’t explain now, but I will when the time is right. As for Gabrielle, I will never leave her Xena, in any lifetime. After all, she has you.” Ava spoke cryptically. Then she mounted Katsina and left.

Xena had no idea what Ava meant with that last statement. But she knew that she was truthful in her reply. So, she returned to her makeshift bed.

 

--------------------------------00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000----------------------

A week later Gabrielle was in her hut looking over documents and she heard a knock at her door. “Come.” She spoke. Ever since she had discovered Ava ’s absence, she was withdrawn only coming out to eat or spend small amounts of time with Xena.

“An emergency council meaning has been called.” Said Ephiny as she closed the door.

“Can ’t you handle it?” Said Gabrielle in Monotone.

“Gabrielle, It ’s Ava. She wants to speak to all of us.” Ephiny spoke. “Xena your presence has been requested as well.”

 

When they entered the throne room. Anaiya was standing at the head of the room. The council was there as well as the heads of the Amazon army. When Ava saw they had entered she glanced at Anaiya and took a deep breath before she spoke.

“Thank you all for honoring my request of your presence. I suspect you are all wondering why I asked of it.” She spoke slowly.

“First, I want to thank you for welcoming me here, opening your heart and treating me like family. I told you why I arrived here 9 and a half months ago. But I did not tell you the whole truth.” She glanced at Anaiya once more.

“You see, there is a great danger coming tomorrow. And I am fated to battle this danger and defeat it.” Ava spoke.

“But what danger? Why do you have to fight it alone?” She heard a few voices speak from across the room.

"These are valid questions.” She took a breath. “I first want to start by saying I am not from this time. I am from a time in the future.  I am what is called an Avatar. But not the kind of this time. I have magic within me, and I can control the natural elements as well.” A few gasps became audible. “But to fully understand what is happening I must tell you all my story. Please be seated everyone.”

 

This story begins some hundreds of years after the fall of your Greek Gods had come and passed. There was chaos in this world. We as humans were restless. Wars began to brew. In the physical and spiritual dimension. There was a source that all of this had come from. It had been evolving for hundreds of years since its birth into the mortal world as human. A human that was once known by the name Alti.” She glanced at Gabrielle and Xena listening intently. “Her evil began evolving every time it traveled to its next life.

The concerning evil ’s existence created a need for a great good to combat its power. This awakened the Sovereign Avatars. Wise elders whose very existence helped keep Alti ’s Evil at Bay. There were 3. Their powers were naturally sourced from the earth. They controlled the elements by simply thinking it. They were fated to live unnaturally long lives, but their existence was not endless. Eventually they too would have to die.

This worried them. For they knew that Alti ’s evil would grow and evolve with each lifetime. If they were not there to meet it and defeat it, her evil would become untamed. It would destroy each time in existence, past, present and future.  They knew her evil would grow and learn until it culminated into its greatest form.

So, then a Prophecy was born. The first group of witches were created at this time born as humans to help with their protection.  A witch is a more evolved form of a shamaness. Their powers were to be passed down from generation to generation. So, then the first line of protection against this evil was fortified. Their magic was fueled by natural energy as well. But it was converted into what is now known as magic. Then, a race of lesser, human avatars was created and would be born into the world every 100 years. These avatars would be an evolution of a single soul ’s power evolving and growing in strength as well. This soul ’s power would be split into Four each wielding one of the four elements, earth, air, fire and water. Until the culmination of all the avatars would be born into one human form at the same time as the culmination of Alti ’s Ultimate evil form. This would be the last Avatar.

So, a council of the Avatars was formed. They were given omens to look for at the time of the Culmination of what was to become known as the time of the great evil. They did not know who the Avatar would be. Only that She would be born of a Witch in an African tribe. Nigerian to be specific.  The council was reformed countless times over hundreds of years. Waiting for the time when the Avatar ’s final form would emerge.

Unbeknownst to the council of Avatars, when Alti realized she could not accomplish the evil exaltation to its full extent in one lifetime, she decided to form a council of her own to ensure her soul ’s evolution and survival. She wanted her reincarnation to be calculated just right, dying and being reborn at just the right time.

She knew she would have to protect her future soul, if it was to evolve in the correct manner. So, not only did she design and safeguard her own reincarnation, but that of her council of dark Avatars as well, complete with the memories and knowledge of all their past lives.

With this advantage she knew she would be able to incubate and nurture her skills until it ’s culmination.

Over her lifetimes her and the council gained servants and warriors, known as the soldiers of darkness. They constantly hunted for any sign of the child of prophecy. The Avatar fated to take part in the big battle to end all battles. Deciding her fate, and the fate of all time.

So, in short, I am the final form of the Avatar. I am to fight Alti ’s final evil form. A form that now goes by the name of Daemon. The reason this time was chosen for our battle, is because just like Alti, this time is the time of my soul ’s original birth into the world. Since the beginning our soul ’s have been at war each time we met in each lifetime. It is where I am the strongest. I will face my fate tomorrow. In a field not far from the village.” Ava finished.

Low audible voices began to form. Everyone was taken back by what they had just learned.

“There is one more thing I must ask of you.” Ava spoke. “I must ask you not to interfere or aid in any way. Anaiya is the only one here allowed to help me.”

The voices grew louder. “You are one of us now and we protect our own.” Said General Helvetica.

“I appreciate that my friends. But this I must do alone, or Daemon will be reborn, and there will be no one to meet him in the next life in battle. It has always been me.” Ava spoke addressing everyone but staring deep into Gabrielle ’s eyes. “Thank you all.” 

With that the meeting was adjourned. Ava began to walk quickly to the exit after motioning for Ephiny to join her outside.

Ephiny walked hesitantly up to Ava. “What is it, Ava?” she spoke in a shaky voice.

“I must ask you a favor.” She looked deep into Ephiny ’s eyes.

Ephiny nodded.

“I know the amazons will not heed my warning about not helping once they figure out that I am gone. So, I need you to keep them here as long as possible when they do. Especially Gabrielle.

Ephiny knew her words were true.

“Ava!” Gabrielle screamed across the yard. She could not believe that Ava had kept this secret. The weight of the world in every time on her shoulders. But she was too slow Ava heard her voice and walked quickly to her hut and shut the door behind her.

-------------------------------0000000000000000000000000000----------------------------

The next morning came too fast. Ava lay awake unsure. Not of the battle but of her heart. Apparently, she loved Anessa ’s soul in every time including this one. But she had a job to do. No matter what. So, she rose and readied herself for battle.

 

 

“Gabrielle, are you alright?” Xena asked as she watched her heart stare at the hut wall. She could not blame her after everything they just learned.

“I ’m fine Xena. I, just, I mean she told me but, I, she never told me everything. I am just a bit in shock.” Gabrielle said contemplating the things she had just heard. She knew Ava had asked her to stay away but she could not honor that. She would not lose her. No matter what Ava said.

Xena watched as Gabrielle ’s thoughts were displayed in the form of emotions across her face. She could almost hear her thoughts out loud.

“Gabrielle, I know this is an odd time to ask. But why did you not tell me you were in love with her?” Xena spoke surprising herself. “Why would you insist that you want to be with me, when it ’s clear you want her? Did you just feel sorry for me?” Xena spoke feeling her anger surfacing, how could she go and fall in love with someone else while she was gone. Did I mean nothing to her?

Gabrielle ’s head began to spin. How dare she speak to her like this when she is the one who left. “You ’re serious, actually serious?!” Gabrielle spoke and then paused for an answer. When Xena just stared defiantly, she continued.

“Ok you want answers fine. I did not mean to fall for Ava. It just happened. You want to know why I continued to pursue you despite that? Well first, I never fell out of love with you Xena, I know it ’s complicated but it ’s true. Second, Ava told me, she told me we belong together, she said that my love evolves your soul, and that a lot depends on that. She also said that she would have to leave after this battle tomorrow. She made me promise to try with you before we came back from our trip.” Gabrielle ended her speech.

“Yeah, the trip. I remember, I get back and you are off alone with her. What exactly happened in that cabin between the two of you?” Xena took a breath after her rant. She was scared but still, she needed to know. She walked aggressively towards Gabrielle, effectively trapping her between the wall and herself her hands on either side of the wall near her waist.  Gabrielle refused to look her in the eyes.

“Look at me.” She whispered angrily. “Look at me Gabrielle!”

Gabrielle looked up into her eyes defiantly.

“Did, did you let her take you?” she spoke in a low volume.

Gabrielle continued to stare. She did not answer. Then again, she didn ’t have to. Xena could see the truth in her eyes. It hit her like a punch in the stomach. She quickly grabbed her things and started towards the door.

“I ’ll be in the stables.” She said over her shoulders.

Ava and Anaiya were in her Cabin midday. Their last meal was long consumed. Anaiya ’s wrist tattoo began to glow. Ava ’s tattoos on her arms and chest pulse glowed as well. They knew it was time. “You explained everything to Ephiny right?” Ava spoke.

“Yes, she wasn ’t too happy.” Said Anaiya.

“Well, she has nothing to worry about. It ’s time.” She said looking Anaiya in the eyes with a plea. “You with me?” she spoke in a shaky breath.

“To the end.” Said Anaiya.

 

They arrived at the field that the council of Avatars had described.  They slipped out during lunch, while everyone was in the dining hall.

They began to meditate in preparation. Ava could feel that Daemon was nearby. She could feel his force nearing the present time. The battle was only a candle mark away at most.

 

 

Lunch had ended and Gabrielle felt she had to at least say goodbye to Ava before this battle. But when she and Ephiny entered the hut, she was staying in she was gone.  Panic set in.

She walked back to her own hut and began to pace. How could Ava not say goodbye. Ephiny entered and sat her down on the bed. “Gabrielle, calm down. Ava said this was her destiny. She can do this.” She said trying to soothe.

“No, I must help her. I don ’t care what she said. I love Xena but I can ’t lose Ava. Not now no matter what she said.” Gabrielle said angrily.

“Gabrielle, don ’t. Ava told me to keep you here. If you go, then me and the rest of the Amazon squad leaders must go too. I swore to Ava, I would keep you safe.

“I ’m coming too.” Xena said from the door frame.

“You want to come with us?” Gabrielle asked surprised.

“Of course, Gabrielle, I ’m angry but I want you safe.” Xena said annoyed at herself for the statement.

 “Well, mighty Avatar, how considerate of you to be early to your death.” Daemon spoke as he walked on to the field.

Ava opened her eyes from her levitating meditation and saw the embodiment of her foe across the field from her. She maintained her stoic expression. She wanted nothing to give Daemon strength. Not even an expression.

“I ’m always on time for a good fight.” Ava said with a smirk.

“Look at that, the Ultimate Avatar has a sense of humor. Well, you are going to need that before you die.” He chuckled. “I believe your soulmate, in her earlier form has come to watch the show. Careful, something might “accidentally happen to her.” Daemon said as he chuckled

Just then, Ava turned to see Gabrielle, Ephiny, Xena and the rest of the squad leaders running up.

“Oh no.” Ava turned to Naiya in a panic as she ran up to stop them. She reached Ephiny first. “I thought you said you ’d help me keep her, them in the village.”

“I tried, but you know as well as I do, once she decides something there ’s no stopping her.” Ephiny spoke.

She felt a hand at her back. “You should have known I would insist.” Gabrielle spoke as she walked around Ava to replace Ephiny.   “You, never said goodbye.”

Just then, Xena noticed Ava look Anaiya in the eyes, and then Ephiny. She realized in that moment that Ava prepared for this eventuality as they directed the Amazon squad leaders to stand back as well as Xena.

Then she turned to Gabrielle. “Brie, I am sorry that I never said goodbye. That expected you to be ok with not being with not being with me as I fought this battle.” She said as she cradled her face with her hand. She felt the softness of Gabrielle ’s hand as she brushed her own cheek with a similar embrace. She felt herself being pulled into a hug and she sank into the warmness of it. She closed her eyes for a moment or two. She heard Gabrielle speak.

“I forgive you, my love.”

Still embracing Gabrielle tightly, she opened her eyes and saw Ephiny standing there, and they stared in agreement.  “There is just one more thing I need to say.”  She spoke.

“What ’s that?” Gabrielle asked still holding her.

“I ’m sorry.” She said as she pushed Gabrielle back into Ephiny ’s arms to be held back by her and the rest of the Amazon squad leaders. “Naiya, now!!!”

Then Ava and Naiya formed a triangle on their chest and began to chant in Nigerian. They pushed their triangle shaped hands forward. A protective dome formed miles high and around the entire field. Effectively separating them from Xena, Ephiny, Gabrielle and all the Amazons.  Gabrielle finally broke loose and ran to get to Ava, but she was stopped effectively by the invisible barrier that Ava and Anaiya had just invoked. She began banging on the barrier.

“Ava, no, you can ’t, don ’t do this!!” she yelled at Ava through the barrier. “Please!”

She watched as Ava pressed her hand against the barrier, a tear streaming down her left cheek. “Brie, I ’m sorry, I am so sorry my love, but it must be this way. I love you forever beautiful.”

Just then she looked up at Xena who had just realized the words she always spoke to Gabrielle when she thought it was the end.

“Love her, don ’t lose her Xena, or all is lost.”

Then she turned and walked to meet her fate head on. She was ready now.

 

Ava walked out to the field Anaiya trailing behind. Ava turned to Anaiya. “You know he ’s going to use conjured soldiers to wear me down. But I am not going to fight in full Avatar mode until absolutely required.

“Ava. You know he could conjure hundreds. You need to be at full strength.” Anaiya pleaded.

“No just get into position and don ’t come until I call. Besides, he wants to wear my strength down, but he is always looking for a good fight. He won ’t conjure too many. Go.” Ava spoke.

“Ava, I love you forever, you are my best friend, and I wouldn ’t trade that for anything.” She said hugging her friend fiercely.

“I love you too, Anaiya, you never cared that I am the ultimate avatar, you treated me like a human.”  Ava said. “One more thing. After the battle give Xena and Gabrielle this scroll.”

Anaiya nodded and put the scroll away.

“Come Ava, surely we do not have to fight. Join me, there would be no time and space that could stand against us.” Daemon said with an evil smile.

“Maybe you could seduce my past incarnations for a time Daemon. But I will never join you. This ends here today!” Ava shouted with a sneer.

“So be it.” Said Daemon with a low growl. “Mo ki awon omo-ogun Okunkun wa sodo mi ki won  dide.”

Suddenly the ground began to rumble, and men began to burst from beneath the ground.

Fifty men, now stood between Ava and Daemon. They weren ’t Ordinary soldiers of darkness. This wasn ’t going to be an easy fight. Ava knew that much.

“Get them!” Daemon yelled.

Gabrielle, Xena, Ephiny and the Amazon squad leaders looked on in helplessness as the soldiers charged across the field towards Ava.

“Here they come Naiya. Do not move until I call.” Ava growled.

“Yes Avatar.” Anaiya said as she backed off.

Ava planted her feet and lifted her power to 10 percent only. ‘Ancestors give me strength. ’ she thought

Ava formed a circle in the air in front of her with both hands.  Noting the position of the soldiers charging her she recognized their formation and held still until she knew she could strike just the right blow. The moment came fast

“Awọn eroja ti aiye ati ọrun ṣe iranlọwọ fun mi ni ija mi.” Ava chanted.

She began to run forward hands out to the side. Then she abruptly stopped and pushed her hands forward and stomped the ground and the earth lifted under the soldiers directly in front of her. They flew into the air and landed on their backs before disappearing.

Soldiers were directly at her side. She ducked spun around and placed her two wrists together, palms facing out and 3 consecutive bursts of wind emanating from her hands plowed through six soldiers on her right and four to her left.

She looked up and 20 more soldiers charged towards her. When they reached within ten feet, Ava leapt into the air kicking her feet out in front one at a time. She landed in a v form power stance and punched forward shooting fire out of her fists.

 Dodge left fire, duck air punch, spin around lifting the earth like a rug from underneath.

 

Meanwhile Gabrielle stood watching outside of the barrier Ava had constructed. Ava was so amazing. She had no idea how powerful she was.

As Xena watched Ava fight, she began to recognize her form, her instinct. Even though Ava possessed amazing power, she could tell the skill that was needed to wield the power. Suddenly Ava ’s statement echoed in her mind. As for Gabrielle, I will never leave her Xena, in any lifetime. After all, she has you.”

The reality that she might be watching her future incarnation fight to save all time was mind blowing. No, it can t be she thought.

Ava finished disposing the rest of the conjured soldiers. She over sold her breathing to make it look as if she was tired out. She knew Daemon would only fight her when he thought she had exhausted her energy. So, she purposely labored her breathing.

“Well Avatar, it seems you are already tired. And I thought I would be entertained for a while. The great and mighty Avatar, reduced to breaths in under a 2 candle marks. My my this is going to much easier than I thought.”  Daemon cackled.

“Enough Daemon, this fight has been looming throughout lifetimes, it is time to end this, once and for all.” Ava spoke, base suddenly booming through the surroundings as thunder rumbled the sky.

“Very well Avatar, so be it.” Daemon said with an evil look in his eye.

She could feel Gabrielle ’s eyes on her. She looked at Anaiya and nodded. She bent to the ground one knee, her fists pushing against the ground. She looked to the side to see green eyes piercing into her rain-colored eyes. She stared in sadness as to what they were about to witness of her. But it was necessary. She faced the ground and closed her eyes once more. Then she stood.

Suddenly her tattoos on her arms, chest, and face began to glow brightly. When her eyes opened, they were glowing as well. Lightning flashed across the sky and began radiating from Ava ’s hands. Thunder boomed and the earth shook as Ava ’s power began to pour out of her.

Daemon began walking towards Ava. With a wave of his hand, he tried to hit Ava. She defected the magic with her hand. One, three, seven more shots he took at her. Ava deflected them all. Suddenly a sword appeared in his hand just as he reached Ava.  But Ava was quick, and she stretched out her right arm and hand to call lightning to her palm. Which she formed into a sword, and she met his blade.

 

Three candle marks later, neither had grown tired. Ava knew Daemon would begin to enter his end game strategy.

Suddenly Daemon was charging towards her with a dark sword of his own. Ava ran forward and their blades met.

“I ’ve waited so long to cut you down. Generations of feeding my power so that I can finally rid myself of the only soul standing between me and the destruction of all time.” Daemon hissed.

“Too bad you waited for nothing! Ahhhhh!!” Ava grunted as she pushed his blade back and they circled one another.

Ava saw that Daemon had stopped. She was about to approach when she noticed he was weaving hand signs and chanting. She knew he was focusing all his power into creating 8 dark soldiers. Each with the power of 10 dark soldiers. She and Anaiya had prepared for this eventuality.  She turned to her right behind her and nodded at Anaiya. She spoke telepathically to her.

“It is time. I love you with all my heart Naiya. When this is over you be happy.” Ava spoke to her heart as she saw a single tear exit violet eyes as Anaiya nodded back.

Once the soldier appeared they immediately charged Ava in formation. But she was the bait. So, although she assumed a fighting stance she remained still. While the soldiers focused on Ava, Anaiya was able to move swiftly in front of her at the last moment.  Since her birth element was earth, she bent her left knee forward and stomped down on the earth. Fist out, palm side facing the sky, right leg stretched behind she guided her fist higher, and the earth lifted. The huge boulder in front she repeatedly punched forward shooting the rock pieces at the soldiers. They charged straight forward, thinking they would kill 2 birds with one stone.

While they were preoccupied with Anaiya, Ava was gathering power. Fully charged, body glowing, she levitated, she raised her hands to the sky and chanted. “Mu manani.”   

Suddenly lightning touched her palms from above and she distributed the strike equally to the eight soldiers turning them instantly into to dust.

She touched back down to the ground and fell to her knees and looked up at Anaiya. “I need a few minutes to recharge. Can you protect me?”  She asked already knowing the answer.

“With my life. I love you Ava, always.” She spoke as she turned to face Daemon.

“Ahh the sidekick.” Daemon chuckled. “This shouldn ’t take long.”

Anaiya just stared. Not willing to stray to far from Ava she moved forward only a few feet. Daemon, however, did not need an invitation to attack. And attack he did.

 

Meanwhile Gabrielle watched as Ava assumed a meditating position and a shield began to form as she charged. Suddenly she her a sniffle coming from her right and she looked to see that Ephiny was crying softly. “Oh Eph, it ’s ok. Anaiya is a great warrior, and I am sure Ava won ’t let anything happen to her.” She said soothing her friend.

“I know. I can ’t help but worry. Gabrielle this is Alti we are talking about. She was already powerful in this time. Can you imagine how much power Daemon has now?”

 Suddenly, Daemon completely stopped attacking Anaiya. This was suspicious enough. But he too sat down and began meditating as well. Anaiya remained in her protective stance.

After a few moments Ava came out of her meditation shield, she fully recharged both her Avatar and witch powers. Anaiya was still staring at Daemon.

“What the hell is he doing?” She said out loud not realizing.

Ava placed a hand on Anaiya ’s shoulder. “He is calling his current soul incarnation, Alti, to his side. He is going to merge with her to destroy me.” Ava said more calmly than Anaiya liked. Suddenly it hit her. She looked into rain-colored eyes. “You knew, didn ’t you?” she said the hurt in her voice apparent.

“Yes, I had my first vision as a with, ironically it is also my last. Therefore, I must fight alone. I can not have any help even from my former soul incarnation, if it is won with any strength other than my own, Daemon will be reborn. But I will not.” Ava said hugging her best friend fiercely. “You were the most amazing person to me Naiya, you looked past the ultimate Avatar and saw just plain Ava. Thank you for that. Now get out of here.” She spoke in a matter-of-fact tone.

She turned as Daemon and Alti stood together, poised to merge. And so bright flashes of black and gold began to spray out everywhere as they began the merge of their two forms.

She knew Daemon would use a spiritual bomb, to destroy her. He was done with hand-to-hand combat and conjuring soldiers.

As they finished their body combination, Ava raised her head to the sky, eyes, tattoos and body glowing. She began her walk forward.

She knew she had to draw Daemon in and seal them in a magical shield so that he would also be destroyed in the spiritual blast.  She called lightning once again and reformed her blade. Daemon took the bait with a chuckle reforming his own dark blade.

This time when their blades met it seem to shake the entire world. Daemon chanted under his breath to conjure the bomb.  As soon as she realized the blast was near, Ava struggled to lock her arm around Daemon but after a few minutes she managed it. She conjured the shield around their 2 forms.

“No!”  He shouted as he tried to break away from Ava, but she kept her hold on him. He grabbed a knife from his side and stabbed Ava repeatedly, but she stood her ground.

“You die too if this bomb goes off. Give up!!” Daemon spoke.

“It was written and so it shall be.” Ava whispered her strength waning. She looked into green piercing eyes for the last time and suddenly, white gold lights flash within the shield and the earth rumbled once more. Suddenly, the shield and dome around the field dissipated. Ava lay on the ground barely breathing and next to Daemon ’s dead body.

Anaiya, Gabrielle and Xena rushed on the field. Ephiny kept everyone else back.

Gabrielle could not get there fast enough.

“Ava, please. Don ’t go.” She cried, her eyes turning a most clear shade of green.  “Please.”

Xena could feel the pain emanating from Gabrielle as she watched her hold a dying Ava in her arms.

Ava hated to leave her even in death. She knew this would be the last time their souls would meet. But Anessa ’s soul was still in it ’s first form in Gabrielle. She could not speak the words she wanted. She lifter her hand and caressed Gabrielle ’s cheek. “Hey, hey beautiful, it always had to be this way. I love you forever.” She spoke as her body felt lifeless in Gabrielle ’s arms.

 

`````````````````````````````````00000000000000000000000000000000000000````````````````````````````````

 

A few hours later Gabrielle lay quiet in her hut, on her bed. She had not spoken 2 words since Ava had died in her arms. Xena had tried everything. She was beginning to worry. Gabrielle had a blank look on her face as Xena sat on the bed beside her. Then a knock came to the door.

It was Anaiya. “May I come in.” She asked as Xena opened the door. “It ’s important.” She implored.

Xena stepped back and Anaiya walked inside.

“I ’ve brought something, a scroll Ava made for you.” She spoke.

“Ok. I ’ll give it to her, and we can leave so she can read it alone.” Xena spoke.

“No, actually. It is for both of you to read together.” She spoke surprising Xena. “When you open it, don ’t be afraid. It is an enchanted scroll; you will see Ava ’s likeness. She will speak to you and answer like she is right here with us.” Anaiya spoke.

“But how?” Xena spoke.

“It ’s magic, Ava was a natural born witch. Anyways, I hope this helps.” Ava turned to walk out after she handed Xena the scroll.

 Suddenly Gabrielle spoke barely above a whisper. “Wait Naiya, stay. I want you to be here.”

Xena helped Gabrielle up and all 3 knelt on side of the bed as Xena lay the scroll down. “Ready?”

Both Anaiya and Gabrielle nodded. Then Xena rolled open the scroll.

Suddenly white and gold light filled the hut. And Ava appeared sitting before them.

All three women gasped audibly at the sight of her.

Ava ’s essence looked down and spoke. “Welcome you three.”

Gabrielle was about to speak when Ava held up a hand.

“I know you all have questions. Obviously if you are seeing this then I am already gone. I have known for a long time this was my destiny. Naiya, I love you my friend, you were the closest thing to a sister I have ever had, you brought my life joy and meaning. You will be apart of me forever.  I love you fiercely. Thank you for loving me.” She spoke.

“Forever Ava.” Anaiya spoke tears freely flowing.

Then she turned to Xena and Gabrielle.

“Brie, I love you with all my heart and soul in every life, every lifetime, every universe.  Always. I am sorry for the things you had to witness, and for leaving the way I did.” She spoke.

“Then why, why would you actively choose to leave me Ava? I do not understand.” Gabrielle yelled; she didn ’t understand how she could love some one as fiercely as she currently loved Xena, but she did.

Ava looked at Xena before she spoke. “I did so because, I am still with you Brie. Our souls meet in every lifetime Gabrielle, every situation, every timeline and every universe. You have not lost me; my soul has always been with you. If you want to be with me, truly turn to the woman sitting next to you, and love her, with all your heart.”

As Ava spoke, the realization of her words hit both Xena and Gabrielle at the same time.

“You mean, I am your soul ’s original incarnation?” Xena spoke almost in disbelief.

“It ’s true.” Anaiya spoke. “She found out about a month ago.”

“Now my time to speak with you is over, be happy you two, you ’re going to be together for a long time.”

With that Ava ’s essence dissipated and the room hushed. 

They sat quietly on the bed after Anaiya exited their hut.  Xena broke the silence first.

“Gabrielle, I, I am so sorry.” Xena spoke. Xena knew there was no more avoiding loving this woman fully. She had lost her heart a long time ago. She realized she did not want to fight giving Gabrielle her soul and body anymore. So, she took a deep breath, knelt in front of a quiet Gabrielle and spoke.

“Hey, look at me please Gabrielle. I am so totally, completely and irrevocably in love with you. I have been so stubborn, pushed you away thinking you deserve better. But it seems in every life we belong to each other. I know I don ’t deserve it but please, please give me a chance to love you.” Xena finished and waited for an answer patiently.

Gabrielle flashed back over the past months and realized in her heart that everything Ava did, every time she insisted Xena was meant to be with her, she was sacrificing her love. She knew that Xena needed her love in order to evolve. It all made sense. She looked up into cerulean eyes. Then she saw it, Ava ’s soul in its raw form. Her heart melted in her chest. She knew that Ava had been sitting there in front of her. The entire time.

“I am so in love with you Xena of Amphipolis. Forever.” She spoke as she leaned in to kiss Xena ’s lips gently and then passionately.

When the kiss broke Xena spoke as she smiled.  “Forever.”

   THE END

 

Back to the Academy