Indiscretions

by Cruise


Disclaimers: This is an alternative uber fan fiction story about two consenting adult women in a loving, sexual relationship. If this offends you or if you are under the age of 18 please search out a new story. The characters in this story are my own creation.

Language: moderate.

Sex: Sexual innuendo between two women.

Special Thanks: To my supporting cast, Mary for her proofreading and editing prowess, to Stoley for maintaining my web site and to them both for their wonderful friendship and unwavering support. To my beloved Peruvian Princess Monica, for being so supportive with my writing passion and for putting up with a nut like me! To all of the fans who love and enjoy the story and keep my muses busy!

Comments: You can feed the bard at Cruise@clububer2000.com

and visit my sites: www.geocities.com/cruise1313 or www.clububer2000.com


Part 4

Two captors broke Lark's grip and pulled her away from Rayne as they headed to the door. Lark locked her greens with Rayne's blues hoping she'd be able to look into her sexy blues again. Rayne smiled to calm the fear she saw in Lark's eyes despite the fact that she was scared as she watched them exit the door. "You shouldn't have killed my brother bitch...now, you shall find out what it's like to die." The leader shouted with a laugh as he followed behind everyone out the door. Rayne struggled with the knot that had her wrists bound, as the clock on the bomb seemed to tick off double time she thought as she looked at it.

Rayne was fortunate that she had hyper mobility in her wrists and was able to contort her wrists enough to slip one out. "Yes!" Rayne exclaimed as she turned to untie the other wrist and then her feet. She glanced back at the clock to see it ticked down to 10 seconds. "Fuck...I'm not going to make it!" She shouted as she ran for the closest window and hurled herself through it.

Lark heard the blast as they pulled farther away from the house and let out a blood-curdling scream... "Rayne!" and began to cry as her heart pounded with fear and she sunk down against the seat. The pain she felt in her heart for losing Rayne again was too much for her and she wanted to die to join her soul mate in their afterlife. Lark was glad that she was able to tell Rayne that she loved her and to hear Rayne say it to her. 'I just don't want to go on without her.' Lark told herself as she cried harder and thought about everything she loved about Rayne. She loved her blue eyes and how they made her feel complete when they looked at her, her wonderful personality, her cockiness which she found to be very sexy, and her stubbornness. Lark's thoughts trailed off as she thought about her stubbornness and had renewed hope because she knew that Rayne was too stubborn to go out like that. She smiled as her emotions calmed and she didn't have that awful feeling of Rayne being dead. 'She made it out...I know it.' Lark thought trying to convince herself of that fact.

Rayne crashed through the glass window, landed on her side and rolled to break the impact of the fall. "Aah!" She shouted out in pain from the glass that penetrated her skin, and got up to run to get clear of the impending explosion. "Bite me!" She yelled as the pain of the glass in her body pressed against her, especially the piece in her right foot, which increased her pain as she tried to run.

The bomb exploded sending her to the ground from the blast. She struggled to collect her breath as the wind was knocked out of her from the impact of the fall. She tried not to panic knowing that it would eventually come back which it did fairly soon, much to her delight. Rayne sat up and pulled the piece of glass out of her foot receiving instant relief. She took her shirt off and found a bigger piece of glass imbedded in her side. She decided it was best to leave it right were it was because she could bleed to death if she removed it. She tore her shirt and wrapped part of it around her foot that bled profusely despite the small size of the cut. Rayne took the other part of her shirt and held it to her side where the piece of glass penetrated out from to stop the bleeding. Rayne got up and headed towards the car as quickly as she could despite her injuries. She was grateful that she didn't feel too much pain...yet and figured it was probably from her adrenaline pumping. Rayne wondered how she was going to find Lark and figured the best place to start would be at headquarters where the two assailants were being held for interrogation. She'd get them to talk she thought confidently and with anger as she reached the car much to her relief. Rayne sped the car down the road until she found a phone and alerted her Director Bailey to the events that took place this evening. He told her he would inform the local office that she was in charge and for them to cooperate with her in anyway possible. She thanked him and hung up the phone before heading back to the car for her trip to the local headquarters. She grabbed her badge and headed into the large government building and received some very odd looks from the employees as she entered the building. The employees had never had someone enter looking so bloodied and haggard and their faces showed the shock that they felt. The guards moved to stop her thinking she might try something horrible as she flashed her badge and they backed off. "Don't even think about it." She angrily replied as she limped towards the front counter. "Where's the Director's office?" She asked with urgency.

"Aah...Director Cady's office is down that hall." The stunned secretary replied at the sight of Rayne's bloody body and pointed for Rayne's directions. "Rayne!" A familiar voice shouted from down the hall.

Rayne turned to see Danielle approaching her and was very relieved to see her. "What the hell happened?" She asked with concern as she put Rayne's arm around her neck to help her down the hall to the clinic were fortunately, the doctor was on the premises for employee physicals.

"I got too intimate with a bomb." Rayne answered sarcastically.

"Why didn't you call me before you left?" Danielle asked with agitation.

"I had to..." Rayne attempted to explain, but was interrupted by Danielle.

"You had to make sure I wasn't the insider right?" Danielle asked as she stopped at the door and looked at Rayne with disappointment.

"Look... Danielle...I'm sorry. I had to check everyone." Rayne answered with regret when she saw the hurt in Danielle's hazel eyes.

"I thought you knew me better than that Rayne but I understand. I probably would have done the same thing too." Danielle answered with a smile as she opened the door and helped Rayne into the clinic.

"I don't have time for this Danielle. I need to see the director and find Lark." Rayne answered with agitation as she tried to leave but was unable to as Danielle held her tighter and led her into the examining room. She helped her up on the table and shouted for the nurse to get the doctor.

Danielle grabbed a cotton ball with alcohol on it and began to wipe the dried blood off of Rayne's face. "You don't have to do that Danielle." Rayne replied as she looked at the attractive curly blonde but really didn't mind the attention.

"I know...but I want to." Danielle answered with a sly smile. "By the way, your insider is Hazel." She replied as she continued to work on her facial wounds.

"I had a strong suspicion that it was her. How did you know?" Rayne asked with disappointment at the formerly faithful employee of Lark's. She knew that Lark would be hurt to find out she was involved.

"Director Bailey faxed the results to Director Cady and he told me when I got here to continue the interrogation." Danielle explained and threw the cotton ball away. She looked over Rayne's wounds thoroughly enjoying Rayne's closeness. She had always been very attracted to Rayne and had hoped that something might happen between the two of them even before Lark and her broke up. 'Who am I fooling? I'm in love with Rayne.' Danielle told herself as she shifted her hazel eyes up to meet with blues.

"Do you still love her?" She asked boldly yet nervously about Rayne's answer.

"Why would you ask me that?" Rayne asked her with confusion.

"Because of this." Danielle answered as she pressed her lips against Rayne's for a sensual kiss. She just couldn't resist it any longer and had to feel Rayne's lips against her own.

Rayne was stunned that Danielle felt that way about her. The kiss was nice...very nice in fact she thought to herself as a mental image of Lark popped into her head and she broke the kiss. They both looked at each other with surprise. "Rayne...I love you." Danielle professed as she tucked her long blonde hair behind her ear.

Rayne was shocked... "aah...Danielle." She stammered nervously as her heart raced and she didn't know what to say. She was saved when the doctor walked in the room.

Danielle stepped back with slight embarrassment. "I'll just be outside." She replied as she attempted to leave. 'That went over well...not! Who am I fooling? She wants Lark...that's evident.' Danielle thought to herself.

"Danielle...wait...it's okay you don't have to leave." Rayne answered nervously as she didn't want Danielle to make such a profession and then just walk away before she had a chance to straighten it out with her that she wasn't interested in Danielle in sexual way.

Danielle was relieved she wanted her to stay and walked back to the table. "Can we talk about this some other time?" Rayne asked trying to settle the situation for the moment.

She had found Danielle to be very attractive but never really had an interest in her other than friends. "I would like that." Danielle answered with a smile and relief that she wasn't refused right away.

"Great! Can you arrange some clothes for me please?" Rayne asked with a smile and wondered how she had gotten into this mess with Danielle as the doctor attended to the wound on her foot.

"Sure...let me make a call." She answered as she headed to the phone and made a call to have some clothes delivered for Rayne.

The doctor moved his examination up to Rayne's abdomen and delicately removed the piece of glass, which posed no threat to Rayne. "This may need to be looked at by a plastic surgeon."

"Whatever doc. Just sew it up the best you can and I'll have it looked at another time." Rayne answered as she stood up when the director entered the room. "Hello...sir."

"Agent Donovan...pleased to meet you. Please sit down." He instructed her with a shake of his hand as he looked over her wounds as the doctor began to suture the wounds.

"It's okay...I have no time. I'd like to speak with the men being held...sir."

"Aah...sure...doesn't that hurt?" He asked with amazement that she hadn't winced once and the doctor was nearly finished suturing the wound.

"No..I blocked the pain out I guess." Rayne answered as an aide brought in clothes for Rayne to wear. Rayne felt very uneasy around Danielle now and needed to push those thoughts out of her head to concentrate on the task at hand. 'Could this whole thing get anymore complicated?' Rayne asked herself hoping it would not.

"I'll have them brought into the interrogation room while you dress." Director Cady answered on his way out the door.

"Okay...thanks." Rayne answered as she looked down and noticed the doctor finished attending to her wounds.

"Agent Donovan...I recommend you get these taken care of by a plastic surgeon very soon and here's some pain medication." The doctor advised her as he handed her the medication.

"No thanks...I can't have medication dulling my senses especially if I have to use my gun, which seems like it will be the case." Rayne answered as she slipped out of her bloody clothing and into a black T-shirt, black fatigue pants and black boots. She grabbed the remaining items and headed out the door, as she would put those on later. She approached the interrogation room in a very bad mood as her adrenaline and anger pumped. She walked with a slight limp from the boots pressing on the cut on her foot and entered the room to find Danielle questioning the very nervous suspect. Rayne holstered her gun as she watched Danielle question the man and realized she was getting nowhere. "Hey, Danielle...can I talk to you for a minute?" Rayne asked as she nodded her head towards the door indicating she wanted to talk with her privately.

Danielle looked up and smiled as she saw Rayne standing by the door waiting for her with her arms crossed over her chest with an intimidating look on her face. "Sure...what's up?" She asked as she approached Rayne knowing that Rayne wanted to stall and make the guy more nervous.

Rayne turned her back to the suspect and moved closer to Danielle to speak with her much to Danielle's delight. "Getting nowhere huh?" She asked with a sly smile.

"Yep...in a hurry." Danielle answered with a returned smile.

"Well...maybe I need to scare the little prick huh?" Rayne asked with a chuckle as she changed her look to one of anger and looked over her shoulder at the man who locked eyes with her, indicating to Rayne he was very nervous. Rayne turned back to Danielle with a mischievous grin. "I think he's going to start singing like a bird. Can you step out and let me talk to him alone?" She asked with a smile and a wink.

"Don't scare him too bad because I don't want to have to clean up a mess in that chair." Danielle teased with a laugh as she left the room.

Rayne laughed under her breath as she watched Danielle leave the room. 'Let's see if I can cause a code brown with this guy.' Rayne thought mischievously referring to scaring the shit out of him...hence, code brown. Rayne pulled out her gun and pulled the clip out pretending to check her supply of ammunition and then replaced the clip. She holstered her gun and looked at the man with piercing blue eyes. Rayne laughed inwardly knowing she had him nailed.

"Hello...I'm Agent Donovan and your worst nightmare." Rayne spoke with sarcastic anger in her voice as she approached the table and looked down at him. She placed her palms on the table and leaned forward bracing herself with her arms making eye contact with the man. She saw the man gulp hard and his body tensed as she looked at him. "Where are your buddies hiding?"

"I...I ...don't know." He stammered nervously and was unable to keep eye contact with Rayne.

"I can see you want to do this the hard way which is the way I prefer it actually." Rayne answered with a sarcastic tone and a mischievous smile as she stood up and slowly walked behind the man.

He nervously glanced over his shoulder at her when she grabbed him behind the neck tightly pushing him forward. "Now...look here assface...you are going to tell me what I want to hear. You got that?" She asked loudly as she leaned down to his ear.

"What's in it for me?" He asked nervously as he was near tears.

"Let's see...how about if I let you live? You see this is the Secret Service and we have our ways of eliminating people without a trace." Rayne lied to scare him into a confession.

"Aah, you wouldn't?" He asked nervously and winced from the pain of Rayne's hand gripped on the back of his neck.

"Try me...now are you going to tell me what I want to hear or should I eliminate you and offer your buddy a better deal?" Rayne answered with agitation as she squeezed his neck harder.

"Okay...okay... but I want immunity." He answered as Rayne eased up on her grip.

"Write the directions down to where I can find them and I'll see what I can do for you." Rayne answered as she let him loose and stood up.

"I need a guarantee." He shouted back as Rayne grabbed his neck again and pushed his face down to the paper on the table.

"I said I would see what I could do now write! If your directions are the right one's you'll get your immunity and if they aren't well...you don't want to know what will happen...it would involve my gun though." She threatened as he began to write the directions down.

Rayne released her grip on the man and stood behind him looking over his shoulder at the directions. "This is one of the planned safe houses we had set up in case something happened...it would be their first choice to hide out in." He explained as he finished the directions.

Rayne reached over and took the paper before slapping him in the back of the head. "Thanks dickhead...I thought you would see it my way!" She replied with a chuckle as she hurried to the door and was met by a guard when she opened the door. "Get that piece of shit out of here." She replied as Danielle and Director Cady approached her.

"Good job agent." The director replied with happiness.

"Thank you sir... I'll need a team of eight with one team of four entering from the front, the other team with three entering from the back and one man to stay back at the van to call in the enforcements." Rayne instructed him.

"No problem. Danielle can lead one and you the other." He answered as he motioned for his assistant. "Get six more men fully equipped in the basement now." He ordered as his assistant dialed the phone to fulfill his orders.

Danielle and Rayne headed down to the garage to meet the rest of the team. "Danielle...you and your team follow me." Rayne instructed her as she hopped in the black van.

"Gotcha and Rayne...be careful." Danielle answered with a smile.

"You too." Rayne answered back as she closed the van door. "Hit it Tom!" She instructed her teammate whom she had worked with many times in the past before he was transferred to the west coast. She was happy he would be assisting on her team. Rayne put on her black fatigue coat and her headset with a microphone to communicate with everyone else.

"Testing...Danielle do you read?" She asked through the microphone and heard her response indicating the radios were working correctly. She readied the semi-automatic weapon a team member handed her ensuring the weapon would work properly.

She looked up and saw that they were drawing near the location on the map. "Okay Tom...stop here...we'll have to hoof it the rest of the way for a sneak attack." She instructed him.

"Got it." He answered as he stopped the van and everyone exited to find Danielle was already waiting for them.

"How'd you get here so damn fast?" Rayne asked with bewilderment and disbelief that they didn't know she wasn't following them. 'I have got to be more observant. These distractions should not interfere with the task at hand.' She chided herself for not concentrating harder on the mission.

"I saw the location on the map and remembered this place being in this area so, I figured this was the location. I grew up in this area so I know my way around her pretty good." Danielle explained.

"You're lucky you were correct and it was the right one." Rayne answered with slight agitation that she could have gotten lost. "Move out!" Rayne ordered as everyone approached the house through the cover of the trees and the darkness. Rayne motioned for Danielle's team to take the rear as her team waited until they were in place.

Rayne scanned the house with her night vision goggles indicating three gunmen in the front of the house in the living room area and two in separate front rooms upstairs.

"Falcon two in place." Danielle's voice replied in Rayne's headset.

"10-4...how many do you see?" Rayne answered back.

"Two in kitchen, two in a back room." Danielle answered.

"I have three in the living room, two in separate rooms upstairs...copy?" Rayne asked.

"Affirmative." Danielle answered.

"Okay...let's move in." Rayne ordered as they quietly approached the house. "Ready? Move in." Rayne ordered as her team slipped into the house through an unoccupied window. Once her team was in she ordered Danielle's team to move in and use radio silence to prevent them from tipping the people in the house off. Rayne used hand signals to motion her team members to their destinations. Three were to take the men in the living room and she was heading upstairs to find Lark and to take out the men up there. Danielle's team slipped in a side window unnoticed and she ordered her men to take the two in the kitchen and for one member to join her in the back bedroom to take out the assailants there. Rayne silently moved upstairs trying to keep her breathing calm to slow her racing heart down. She could hear Lark pleading with her captor to let her go. It pained her too much to have to hear her pleading for her life and she could hear the fear in her voice, which made her heart race faster. 'I'm right here baby...I'm coming for you.' Rayne said to herself wishing Lark could hear her as she deducted they were in the back bedroom and she slipped down the hall to take out the lone gunman in the other room. He was too easy or she was too good she thought to herself with a chuckle as she tied up the unconscious man. 'Probably the later.' She thought to herself arrogantly.

She heard gunfire erupt downstairs and hurried to the door. She peeked out the door to find the leader had Lark in his grasp with a gun pointed at her. He looked down the stairs and shouted as to what was happening. He didn't see Rayne slowly approach him from the side. She saw the fear and shock in Lark's emerald green eyes as if she had seen a ghost when Rayne stepped out of the bedroom. She focused greens on blues and felt less fearful now that she knew Rayne was there and she was alive. Lark was so happy with the later that she began to cry and the man turned to tell her to shut up to find Rayne aiming her gun at him.

"I guess you've got nine lives." He smirked at Rayne.

"Meow...now...let's make sure you only have one." Rayne answered arrogantly with a sly grin.

"You won't shoot me with your bitch so close to me!" He laughed as he moved to position his gun to Lark's head and Rayne fired her gun at him.

He felt the blast rip through his thigh. "Aah!" He screamed as he writhed on the ground in pain.

Rayne ran over and kicked his gun out of his hand. "I surprised you didn't I assface?" She shouted with a smirk on her face. Lark ran over and wrapped her arms around Rayne sobbing uncontrollably. "It's okay baby...I told you I would come for you." Rayne answered as she held Lark in her arms happy that she still had the chance to do so.

"I thought you were dead." Lark cried out.

"I'm too stubborn for that...you should know that better than anyone else." Rayne answered with a chuckle as she looked at Lark who lifted her head up and met blue eyes with a smile through her tears.

Rayne smiled and glanced back to see the leader had pulled out another gun before Rayne could ready hers. Rayne pushed Lark out of the way as he fired his gun at Rayne. She felt the bullet hit her as her breath escaped her and she heard another shot as she felt pain rip through her head before darkness consumed her.

Danielle saw the man fire at Rayne as she made her way up the stairs too late to stop him, but not late enough for retribution as she shot the man...killing him instantly.

"RAYNE!" Lark screamed in horror as she struggled to get up and rush to Rayne's side but was cut off by Danielle who beat her to Rayne who lay motionless on the ground with her head against the wall.

"Rayne...baby, no this wasn't suppose to happen." Danielle replied with worry and concern as she checked Rayne over. She opened her shirt to find the bullet had lodged in her bulletproof vest directly over her heart.

"Rayne." Lark replied with fear as she knelt beside her wounded lover and began to cry when she saw how motionless Rayne looked.

Danielle was unable to find Rayne's pulse and checked to see if she was breathing which she was not. "Lark! Get that vest opened!" Danielle shouted with urgency as Lark did as she instructed her to. Danielle ripped her headset off knowing she was going to have to start CPR and didn't need a hindrance. Danielle slid her body down on the floor flat and held her nose closed, tilted her head back to blow two breaths into her lungs. Danielle moved her hands down Rayne's chest and positioned them over her sternum to begin chest compressions. She counted off fifteen compressions and put her ear to Rayne's nose to assess her breathing. "Come on baby...breath." Lark replied nervously through her tears as she squeezed her hand.

Danielle checked her breathing again. "She's breathing!" Danielle answered with a smile and a sigh of relief as she checked her pulse and found it.

One of the team members ran up the stairs. "Get an ambulance!" Danielle shouted as he nodded in acknowledgement of his orders and radioed the van with the communications team member to get the ambulance.

Danielle checked Rayne's eyes and pulse before checking for a head wound which she found as she pulled her hand back which had blood on it. "She must have hit her head when she fell." Danielle surmised as she applied pressure with her hand while she sat Rayne up to decrease the swelling in her brain and cradled her in her arms as she sat behind her. " Hold on baby...helps on its way." Danielle whispered with worry.

Lark moved Rayne's hair off her face and lightly rubbed the back of her hand against her cheek. She pulled Rayne's hand up to her face and lightly kissed the limp extremity. She cried harder as she held Rayne's hand against her cheek. "Come on honey...don't leave me." Lark pleaded through her tears, as her whole life lay motionless before her. Rayne was everything to her and she didn't want to lose her this way...she didn't want to lose her in any way she thought to herself as her heart pounded with fear of losing Rayne.

Danielle kissed the top of Rayne's head. "It's okay...help is here." She whispered as she heard the paramedics enter the house while Lark bore a hole through Danielle with her piercing, angry green eyes as to her kissing Rayne. "I performed one cycle of CPR before getting began to breathe again and I was able to find her pulse." Danielle informed them as they approached.

"Excuse us!" The paramedics responded as they moved Lark out of the way to examine Rayne. Lark stood out to of the way with worry as she watched the paramedics check Rayne's vital signs, applied an oxygen mask, hooked her up to a heart monitor, and started an IV. "Okay…she's got a strong heart beat and a pulse." The paramedic replied as he checked the heart monitor. Once they felt she was stabilized they transferred her onto the stretcher. The paramedics wheeled her down the stairs and out of the house to the ambulance as Lark tried to step in for the ride to the hospital with Rayne, which they would not allow.

"I'm her lover." Lark pleaded to no avail.

"You've hurt her enough Lark." Danielle snapped as she stepped into the ambulance. "I'm her partner." She informed them as she flashed her badge and closed the doors as the ambulance drove off.

Lark rushed over to the Director who had just arrived on the scene. "Please...you have to take me to the hospital." She cried as the tall man turned to her.

"You're Lark Morgan right?" He asked as Lark nodded yes. "Okay...let's go and you can explain to me what happened on the way." He replied as they headed to his car and drove off.

Lark wasn't sure if she made any sense when she informed the Director of what she knew regarding the incident that happened in the house because all she could think about was Rayne. He pulled up to the emergency room entrance and Lark was out of the vehicle and into the hospital before the car came to a complete stop.

She rushed in to find Danielle arguing with the nurse at the desk. "I don't care if you're her partner...you're not allowed in there." The nurse snapped back.

"Excuse me...how is Rayne Donovan?" Lark asked with urgency as she approached the desk.

"Are you family?" The nurse asked with agitation, as Danielle looked on not too pleased that Lark was there.

"Yes...I am...my name is Lark Morgan." She answered out of breath and agitated with all the questions.

"Oh, yes...Miss. Morgan...we've been trying to contact you. We got your name from Miss. Donovan employers and she has you listed as her emergency contact." The nurse answered with an improved demeanor about her. "Follow me...the doctor would like to talk to you." She answered with a smile as she led Lark towards the examining rooms leaving a very agitated Danielle in the waiting room.

"Damn it!" Danielle thought to herself with anger as she watched Lark being led down the hallway to see Rayne.

"Agent Bridges...we need to debrief you." The Director replied as he walked up behind Danielle.

"Not now sir." She answered with anger and nervousness.

"No…now! Let's go." He ordered and nudged her towards the door, as Danielle was reluctant to go with him.

The doctor explained that Rayne had a concussion along with a hematoma on her chest from the impact of the bullet hitting her there and that her previously sutured wounds had reopened. He advised Lark that a plastic surgeon was nearly finished suturing her wounds and that the reason she required CPR was from the force of the bullet hitting the vest causing her heart to stop. He also advised Lark that Rayne would be held for observation and they wanted to make sure she didn't have an epidural hematoma. He ordered a CAT scan to check for the epidural hematoma as a precautionary measure, which he explained in laymen's terms as a skull fracture with the pooling of blood in the dura mater or lining of the brain as he noticed the confusion on Lark's face.

"So, she's going to be okay?" Lark asked with guarded relief.

"She'll be fine just as soon as she wakes up and provided the CAT scan comes back negative for an epidural hematoma which I believe it will. I have found nothing unusual with the EKG that monitors her heart which is very good news." He answered with a reassuring smile.

"Oh, thank you doctor...can I see her please?" Lark asked with excitement and relief as her nervousness calmed slightly.

"Sure...the nurse will show you in." He answered with a smile as he motioned for the nurse to show her to where Rayne was sleeping.

The nurse escorted Lark in to the curtained area where Rayne lay peacefully sleeping. She stood just inside the curtain and stared at the love of her life who laid extremely still...too still Lark thought to herself with worry as the tears trickled down her face. "We are going to take her down for the CAT scan and she'll be moved to her room within forty-five minutes. Talk to her and see if you can get her to wake up." The nurse informed Lark as she stepped out.

Lark stood next to Rayne and lightly brushed the back of her hand on Rayne's cheek as she lovingly looked at her still soul mate. If it weren't for the monitors attached to Rayne signaling a heartbeat she would believe that she was dead she was that motionless. The rise and fall of Rayne's chest when she would breath was barely noticeable and it scared the hell out of Lark. Lark cried harder at the thought of losing Rayne forever. She could deal with Rayne not being in her life...well, somewhat...because she would know she was alive and well but if she was dead...well... 'Stop thinking that way...she's alive.' Lark told herself as she ran her fingers through Rayne's disheveled raven hair. Lark wished she could trade places with Rayne to take away her pain... 'I owe her my life.' Lark thought to herself as she wiped away her tears. "Hey, baby...I'm here." Lark whispered through her tears as she leaned down and lightly kissed her cheek. Lark leaned her cheek against Rayne's as the tears flowed freely. "Rayne...wake up honey." She requested as she held Rayne in her arms. "Please baby...its time to wake up."

"I'm sorry ...we're here to transport her for the CAT scan." The transport tech replied as he opened the curtain.

Lark looked back startled and nodded in acknowledgement kissing Rayne's cheek before she stood up wiping away her tears. "I'll be waiting for you in your room Rayne." Lark told her as she squeezed her hand before they wheeled her off for her test.

'Lark...can't you hear me?' Rayne asked as she thought she was saying that to her out loud. 'Can't she feel me squeezing her hand? I'm so tired and I feel like I was hit by a train...sleep...I need sleep.' Rayne thought as she drifted off from her thoughts.

Lark called Rayne's brother to let him know what had happened and he told her he would be there just as soon as he contacted his parents in Greece to let them know also. She called her agent to let her know the turn of events so she wouldn't go out of her mind looking for her. Elaine, her agent, said she would handle the media if word got out of the incident and would come to the hospital tomorrow. Lark also called Director Cady to let him know of Rayne's status at this time. She waited anxiously in Rayne's room and was relieved when they wheeled her in into the room.

Lark sat next to Rayne in a chair and held her hand. "Hey, sleepyhead...it's time to wake up...are you going to sleep all night?" She teased as she ran her fingers through her hair. Lark's heart skipped a beat every time she looked at the cuts and bruises all over Rayne's body. Her chest tightened along with her throat at the pain Rayne endured for her. She went through total hell for her and she owed Rayne her life…plus more. Lark's guilt consumed her and she covered her face with her hands and sobbed at the pain she has caused Rayne. "I'm so sorry Rayne for everything. I love you so much and I don't ever want to be away from you. I want us to be together again...without your love in my heart my life is nothing." She sobbed harder as she lay her head down on Rayne's lap. "Maybe I don't deserve your love Rayne...maybe you would be better off without me." Lark cried harder at the confused thought, as she wasn't making sense through her grief.

Rayne was finally able to open her eyes but found it hard to focus. She turned her head to see a familiar blond figure lying in her lap crying...albeit...it was blurry but she knew it was Lark. She smiled happily knowing that Lark was alive and well. "I'd be better off without the crying." She teased through a whisper as she softly stroked Lark's blond hair.

Lark thought she imagined she heard Rayne's voice until it was confirmed by her touch. She turned her head around quickly and smiled as she saw Rayne's stunning blue eyes looking at her. Rayne's hand rested on Lark's cheek and she turned to place a kiss on the palm as she moved up closer to her. "Baby...I was so worried about you." Lark replied as she clutched Rayne's hand and kissed it again.

"I know...I could hear you." Rayne answered hoarsely. "I heard all the crying too...didn't you know I was trying to sleep?" Rayne teased as she tried to lighten the mood and focus with more clarity.

Lark laughed through her tears of happiness that fell as she moved closer to Rayne hoping she wouldn't reject the kiss she wanted to give her. Lark hesitated and searched her blues for acceptance, which she didn't see until Rayne ran her hand through her long blond hair. She stopped her hand behind Lark's neck and pulled Lark down to her chest hugging her closely as possible without causing herself pain from her tender chest. Lark was disappointed that she didn't get the kiss that she wanted and looked up at Rayne.

Rayne lovingly wiped away Lark's tears with a smile and Lark leaned back down burying her face in Rayne's neck as Rayne hugged her close to her. "I am so sorry for you getting injured to save me." Lark replied as she cried.

Rayne kissed her head. "I know you are…come on...please stop crying you know I can't stand to hear you cry." Rayne replied softly as she rubbed Lark's back to comfort the sobbing woman. Rayne felt Lark's sobbing calm as she continued to rub her back and held her close taking in the sweet scent so specific to her lover. 'Oh, how I love to feel her in my arms.' Rayne thought to herself as her own tears slipped down her cheeks from her blue eyes. 'Do I have it in my heart to forgive her?' She asked herself as her brother rushed into the room and she quickly wiped away her tears.

"Rayne!" He exclaimed with excitement to see her awake as Lark sat up and wiped her tears away.

Rayne looked at Lark with a smile and squeezed her hand as her brother hugged her. "You okay?" He asked with concern as his matching blues met Rayne's and he pushed her hair back off her face lovingly.

"Well...other than feeling like I was hit by a train I'm doing okay." Rayne teased with a smile.

Her brother smiled with relief once he was convinced his sister was going to be okay. He looked her over and was overwhelmed by all of the bruises and cuts on his baby sister. "Damn Rayne! What's the other guy look like?" He asked with a sly grin.

"Aah...I'm not sure." Rayne answered with a bewildered look and turned to look at Lark for an answer.

"He's dead." She answered dryly as she looked at Shayan with red eyes and a tear-streaked face.

"I should have known that would be the case if someone tangled with you." He answered with a smile and proud that she was tough from all of his self-defense techniques he taught her growing up so she could take care of herself.

"Well...I don't remember killing him." Rayne answered with confusion as she held her hands out with her palms up and shrugged her shoulders.

"That's because Danielle did it." Lark answered reluctant to bring up her name and she also saved your life by performing CPR on you." Lark informed them, as she was upset that she had to stand by and not help because she didn't know CPR.

"She did?" Rayne answered with a chuckle. "Where is she anyway? I thought she would be here. I need to thank her." Rayne asked as she looked between her brother and Lark.

Lark looked down at her hands. "I'm not sure but she was talking with the Director when I came in to see you...aah...I'm gonna go let the nursing staff know you're up and awake." Lark answered feeling uncomfortable discussing Danielle. She realized Danielle was in love with Rayne and it seemed like Rayne might be interested in her as well.

"Okay...thanks." Rayne answered as she watched Lark leave the room and looked back at Shayan.

"Is she okay?" Shayan asked with concern.

"Physically yes...but I don't know about emotionally." Rayne answered with concern for her sexy blonde lover.

Lark alerted the nursing staff that Rayne was awake and headed to the cafeteria for a cup of coffee. 'What's Rayne's deal with Danielle?' Lark asked herself. 'Is she in love with her or just dating her?' She wondered sadly and Lark hoped that she wasn't in love with Danielle felt as she sipped the hot beverage and walked back to Rayne's room.

"Okay Rayne...I want you to stay awake as much as possible tonight. I didn't see any evidence of a skull fracture on the CAT scan which is positive news but your brain has some swelling present."

"Great! Just what I want to do for the rest of the night." Rayne answered sarcastically.

"I'll keep you awake." Lark answered as she entered the room and sat next to Rayne on the bed sipping her coffee.

Rayne smiled and rested her hand on Lark's thigh sending warmth straight to Lark's core from her soft touch. "Thanks...but you don't have to...you look tired...go ahead and get some sleep." She answered with a pat on the leg appreciative of her offer to stay.

"No, I'd rather stay. I can sleep in the chair." She answered nervously thinking that Rayne didn't want her there and besides, she wanted to be there in case Danielle showed up. She didn't like the woman and for obvious reasons.

"Lark...you don't have to …really." Rayne answered with a raised eyebrow-knowing Lark was ready to fallout at any moment by the sleepy look in her eyes.

"Rayne...I want to...please don't make me leave." She pleaded with tears in her eyes.

"Okay...I'd love the company." Rayne relented with a slight smile and wondered why Lark was so adamant about staying. She knew that Lark never gave up an opportunity to sleep and Rayne found it hard to believe she was going to miss this one.

"Hey, bro...get back to your family...I'm fine...really." Rayne replied with a smile and a wink.

"Are you sure?" He asked seeking surety from Rayne.

"Positive and tell mom and dad that they don't need to come back from Greece...I'll be fine." She answered reassuringly.

"I'll call them and tell them to give you a call...they were very worried." He answered as he kissed her on the forehead. "I love you." He whispered in her ear followed by a kiss to the cheek.

Rayne smiled and hugged him. "Ditto." She answered as she released the hug.

He stood up and walked over to Lark. "Take care of our girl… Lark." He replied with a kiss to her cheek.

"You can count on it." Lark answered with a smile as he began to walk away.

"Hey, Rayne...I like the shiner you've got." He teased with a wink.

"Is it like the one I gave you when we were kids?" She teased back with a smile.

"I fell on your fist and you know it!" He answered with a laugh and a wave goodbye as he left the room.

Rayne laughed and thought about how much better she felt already. She looked her arms over to see there were small cuts on them from the glass and pulled her gown away from her chest to see the huge hematoma on her chest. "Whoa! That's huge...look." She exclaimed with amazement as she looked at where the bullet hit her vest causing the trauma to her chest and leaned forward to show Lark as she peered down her gown.

"Oh, my god it's huge...and the hematoma too." Lark teased with a laugh referring to her perky breast that she would love to wrap her mouth around.

Rayne looked up at her and laughed along with Lark. Rayne pulled her gown back to check the wound in her side and found it had been bandaged. Lark couldn't keep her eyes off of Rayne's bare, muscular abdomen not to mention the dark curls that peeked out from underneath the gown. Rayne glanced over and saw the look of lust in her eyes. "Do you see something you like?" She asked mischievously as Lark looked at her with embarrassment and a flushed face, which was turning a crimson color by the minute.

"Well...aah...yeah." Lark admitted with a sheepish grin as she lowered her head with embarrassment and tucked her long blonde hair behind her ear...something that Rayne found to be very sexy.

Rayne laughed at her shyness and embarrassment. "I can understand your dilemma Lark...I'm sexy…what can I say?" Rayne teased with mock arrogance and a laugh shared by Lark. She slid her foot up towards her to look at the wound on her foot and leaned forward becoming very dizzy.

Lark saw her loss in balance and grabbed her to steady her. "Rayne...are you okay?" She asked as she leaned her back against the upright bed.

"Oh, man...I got wicked dizzy. Lark hand me the bedpan…quick! I'm gonna get sick." Rayne replied with urgency as she gagged and covered her mouth to fight the hyperemesis.

Lark grabbed the bedpan and handed it to her as Rayne barely got it to her mouth before becoming very sick. Lark looked on with concern and went into the bathroom to wet a washcloth and returned as Rayne finished. Rayne lay against the pillow breathing deeply to calm her nausea.

"Feeling better?" Lark asked with concern as she lovingly wiped her face off with the washcloth.

Rayne stared into Lark's green eyes and thought about how much she loved the care Lark was giving her. She wanted that compassion from Lark six months ago when she was upset about the tragic deaths of her grandmother and partner. Rayne put her hand on Lark's who stopped wiping her face and shifted her green eyes to meet blues. "Lark...why couldn't you have been this caring months ago when I needed you?" Rayne asked softly as she searched her eyes for an answer.

Lark looked down at the hand that lovingly held her own and was regretful as the tears filled her eyes. "Because I was being selfish Rayne. You were withdrawn and I didn't think you loved me or wanted to be with me anymore." She answered as her green eyes met confused blues.

Rayne shifted her head to look more directly at her. "Rayne how could you think that? I loved you more than life itself." She answered with disbelief at her confession.

Lark's tears rolled down her cheeks uncontrollably. "I felt like you were pushing me out of your life and when you didn't come home for our anniversary it confirmed my suspicions Rayne. I had a surprise party all set up with our friends and when you called me saying you couldn't make it I was devastated. I just felt like you didn't care enough to come home for our anniversary. So, I got wasted to drown out my pain." She explained as she cried harder and was glad that at least Rayne could talk with her about it without yelling or being harsh.

Rayne reached up and wiped away her tears as Lark leaned her face against her hand. "Lark...I told you I wouldn't be home because I wanted to surprise you but it backfired on me when my plane was delayed. I knew about the party and I intended to surprise you by coming there late. I wanted to ask you to be my partner for life. I ended up at the party about fifteen minutes after you left." Rayne explained with sadness at the misunderstandings of that evening.

Lark cried harder as Rayne pulled her down and hugged her. "Rayne...I'm so sorry." She sobbed against Rayne's neck.

"Me too." Rayne whispered as she kissed the blonde on her head.

"Can you ever forgive me Rayne?" She asked through her sobs.

"I don't know Lark...I just can't get past what happened and I don't know if I can ever look at you without feeling those painful emotions of betrayal and deceit." Rayne answered as she tried to sort out her feelings for Lark.

Lark looked up at her. "Do you still love me?" She asked through her tears.

"I always have and I always will Lark you know that."

"Do you still want me? Or do you want Danielle? I know that she's in love with you." Lark asked with sadness and fear at the thought that Rayne would choose Danielle over her.

Rayne hesitated with her answer and felt overwhelmed like she was being pressured into an answer she may regret giving. "Lark I do still want you but I don't know if I can forgive you and if I can't do that then we will just continue to hurt each other more. I want to look at you with nothing but love instead of what I see now...betrayal. I don't want that. There is no feelings on my part for Danielle other than her friendship." Rayne explained and didn't feel like Lark was truly sorry about her indiscretions.

"As much as it hurts Rayne...I understand and I can only hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me so you can love me without hesitation or doubt again." Lark answered as the tightness in her chest increased. It wasn't what she really wanted but she had to give Rayne the time she needed and by what she read from Rayne's blue eyes she knew they would be together again…someday. She was glad that Rayne's feelings for Danielle were on a friendship only basis. "I guess I should leave now and let you rest." Lark answered as she moved to leave.

"No." Rayne answered as she grabbed her hand. "I would rather you stay with me." Rayne replied as she looked at Lark who was confused.

"I thought you wanted to be alone?"

"I do but I don't feel comfortable with you leaving by yourself. I still don't have a very good feeling about everything that's happened and I'd rather not be alone tonight and besides, you said you would stay to keep me awake. I'll think about everything tomorrow." Rayne answered with a smile not wanting Lark to leave until she knew everything was cleared up or she could have someone escort Lark home.

"If that's what you want…then, I'll stay." Lark answered as she wiped her tears away and moved towards the chair.

"You can stay right here." Rayne replied with a smile as she patted the bed next to her for Lark to lie there.

Lark's heart skipped a beat at the thought of Rayne holding her in her arms and was confused as to what was going on but she didn't want to be away from her. She figured if Rayne wanted her to be there it confirmed that what she saw in Rayne's eyes was true that she did still want her or did she misread her? Lark crawled up in the bed with Rayne and tucked her head in the crook of Rayne's arm as she snuggled close to her and wrapped her arm around Rayne's waist. Rayne gently stroked her long hair gently enjoying the feeling of having Lark back in her arms again. Before long she felt Lark's soft breath against her chest and heard her shallow breathing and knew she was fast asleep. 'So much for helping to keep me awake.' She laughed to herself and shifted to look at Lark as she clutched her arm in desperation for closeness through her sleep. Rayne was taken back by what Lark had done and thought as if Lark was saying 'please don't leave.' Rayne lay back in place and kissed Lark's head and felt Lark's grasp on her arm release in relief that Rayne wasn't going anywhere. Rayne watched TV and listened to Lark's light snoring throughout the rest of the night as she thought about what she intended to do with this whole situation. She wanted to be with Lark…that much was true…but she had to figure out just how she was going to do that without looking at Lark with feelings of betrayal and without wondering each time she is around another person if she is having an affair with them. She wanted to make sure she could love and trust her whole-heartedly once again. If she couldn't then they would be better off without each other in their lives because they would just make each other miserable.

Rayne talking on the phone to her brother Jayce who Rayne tried to convince that she was fine awakened lark. Rayne looked at the sleepy blonde next to her and smiled. "Can you talk some sense into him?" She asked as she handed the phone to Lark.

"Jayce, she's fine, don't worry so much." She replied with a laugh at his nervousness.

"Are you in bed with her?" He asked with shock and disbelief.

"Aah…yes, I am." She stammered with slight embarrassment.

"You guys…aah…didn't." He stammered nervously not wanting to just blurt out his question.

"No…we didn't do it in the hospital bed if that's what you're asking." Lark teased him as she heard a sigh of relief from him.

"Good! I was going to be jealous that my sister would be one up on me for unusual places to have sex." He laughed.

"Oh, really?" Lark teased. "So, have you done it in first class on an airplane?" She asked with a laugh.

"Lark, give me the phone." Rayne replied with shock and embarrassment as she grabbed the phone while Lark and Jayce laughed. " You two need to knock it off." She answered feeling uncomfortable with the conversation.

"Well…what's his answer?" Lark asked with a laugh as she strained to get her ear near the phone to hear his answer. Rayne shook her head no with a mischievous smile. "She's one up on you Jayce!" Lark shouted into the phone with a laugh.

"Yes…little brother…I told you…I'm fine! So, I can't talk you out of coming? Okay…be careful then. I love you, bye." She replied as she clicked the phone off. "Well…Jayce is on his way out." Rayne answered slightly defeated that she didn't convince him she was fine but she was happy that he was coming. She hadn't seen him since he began his last year of law school at Harvard and missed hanging out with him.

"It will be great to see him again." Lark answered with a mischievous smile.

"What's up with the two of you?" Rayne asked skeptically with a sly grin and a raised eyebrow as she looked down at Lark who went back to resting in the crook of Rayne's arm.

Lark laughed. "Nothing." She answered as she looked up and saw that Rayne didn't believe her. "Really…you know his biggest fantasy is to be with two women and I just love to tease him by giving him something to think about."

"He's a dog isn't he?" Rayne asked with a laugh.

"Like someone else I know." Lark teased with a smile as she looked at Rayne and tried to get up but was grabbed by a couple of strong arms and pulled back down. Lark flipped her hair off her face and giggled from Rayne's playfulness. Lark turned to face Rayne and their eyes locked telling each other what they both felt for one another. Rayne's smile turned serious as she looked at Lark. "You are so beautiful." Rayne whispered once she caught her breath and traced Lark's lips softly with her finger before sitting her back up in the bed as the painful memories came rushing back from that fateful night.

Lark and Rayne looked at one another with an uncomfortable silence as the doctor entered the room. "Miss. Donovan…I see you're feeling better." He replied with a smile as he approached the bed while Lark stood up beside it.

Lark couldn't take the mixed messages…they were driving her nuts. 'As much as I don't want to…I have to stay away until she makes her decision. I can't take getting my hopes any more to only have them squashed if she decides she can't forgive me.' Lark thought sadly as she watched the doctor examine Rayne.

"I have never met someone who has healed from a severe concussion as quickly as you have." The doctor exclaimed with surprise.

"You've never met me before doc …that's why." Rayne answered with cockiness and a laugh.

"Even still…I want another CAT scan done just to be on the safe side and if everything looks good that and your latest EKC I'll release you later today." He instructed Rayne much to her delight.

"Well…let's get going doc…I've got things to do." Rayne teased as she was anxious to get the test completed and get out of the dreadful hospital.

"Someone will be in shortly to take you down." He answered with a chuckle as he walked away shaking his head.

Continued in Part 5.


Back To Main Page