Barbarian . . . Queen ... Barbarians!

David E. Milligan

 

                                                                                - 1 -

"Are the children awake yet?" Gabrielle asked Xena; she had just gotten out of bed even though it was long after sunrise.

"Of course they are," she replied. "Just as soon as Osiris heard me get up, he was right there. That son of yours has the ears of an owl. And naturally he was followed by Jason,  wanting to be wherever his big brother is. And then little Cyrene came toddling in, wanting me to pick her up. So, yes that are all up, and have had their breakfasts."

"What would I do without you?" Gabrielle smiled lovingly at her.

"Have a few more children?" Xena asked, almost serious.

"Well, as much as my Husband would love to have more sons, I think I am perfectly satisfied with the three children I have."

"Not even another daughter?"

"Maybe, someday, when Cyrene is older and can watch over a younger sister."

"The King has already had his breakfast, and your children are in the Royal Garden, or maybe the Orchard, or more probably in the forest. And before you ask, they are being watched by at least a handful of discreetly placed guards."

"So it is just the two of us for breakfast? Or have you already had yours?"

"I could eat again."

Just then King Belos entered Gabrielle's bed chamber unannounced, something he rarely did.

"What is it? Gabrielle asked.

Ignoring her, the king said, "Xena, my scouts say there are almost a thousand barbarians on the move, led by someone  called Caspero."

"Are you sure that is his name?"

"I am quite certain. Why? Do you know of him?"

"I do! Caspero is the son of Jobyna, the murderous dog who betrayed me! I guess you have forgotten that he's the boy who almost killed you. But Caspero could only be in his early twenties. How could he have raised such an army in such a short time?"

"Well, regardless of that I need you in my War Room immediately!"

 

                                                                                - 2 -

"Show me," Xena said to King Belos as they studied the map of Belos' kingdom and the adjacent lands of other kingdoms. "I need to know as much as I can -- which other kingdoms he has destroyed and the direction they are coming from.  Which of your villages he has attacked, and how many days until he is at the city gates. The more information your scouts can give, the better I can assess the best defenses and offenses needed."

For almost the entire day they strategized as they received new information from scouts, many who had ridden two or three days. Then others were sent with out new dispatches to the captains of the various squads who were about to meet the enemy. Soldiers were sent to all the villages to conscript men who were needed to fill the ranks of soldiers who were killed or wounded in the many battles being waged.

But still it didn't seem to be good enough. Casualties were mounting and morale was becoming a problem. The soldiers who battled against the Barbarians were beginning to believe there was nothing to be done to  to stop their advances.

After the third day that only brought more bad news of villages that were looted and burned, Xena knew she was more needed on the battlefields than in the castle. After informing King Belos of her decision, he agreed with her. Perhaps she could help turn the tide of almost certain defeat.

While her horse was being readied, Xena went to see Gabrielle, who had retired to her bed chamber with her children, wanting to keep them away from the atmosphere of despair throughout the castle.

"Gabrielle, I have to go, now! King Belos' army is no match for Caspero's fanatical barbarian army."

"But what if the Barbarians make it to the city gates. You need to be here to protect us."

"If they make it this far, then the kingdom is lost for sure. But if I can stop them before they get here, then the kingdom will be spared."

To avoid any further argument, Xena hurried hugged Gabrielle, Osiris, Jason and Cyrene, then left without another word.

                                                                                - 3 -

A day later she was with one of the squads of one hundred twenty soldiers that was the least experienced, kept closest to the castle as a last resort. Xena decided they needed to be integrated with the more experienced soldiers, hoping they would learn as they go, and before being killed in battle.

A half day later they came upon one of the largest squads who had fought, were defeated, then retreated. They lost half their men, and many who were too wounded to fight, leaving only seventy five or so who were able bodied enough to continue. The dead were cremated on funeral pyres, the wounded she sent back to the castle and the rest she moved on with.

Within four more days Xena had amassed almost five hundred soldiers when they came upon a contingent of over three hundred of Barbarians just before dusk as they were settling down for the  night. Without hesitating, Xena had them attack,leading the army, and screaming at the top of her lungs, "KILL THEM ALL!" over and over. The archers fired volley after volley until they were out of arrows.

Hearing her battle cry and seeing her Chakram beheading Barbarian after Barbarian, the soldiers fought  as they never had before, and even though they lost almost one hundred men, they managed to kill all but forty or fifty Barbarians, who were too wounded to continue to fight. 

Xena knew they had neither food nor the manpower to manage any prisoners, and that the only thing the dead and wounded Barbarians had of any use were their weapons. So while her men were tending to the wounded and building funeral pyres to cremate their dead, she went to each Barbarian, dead or alive, and plunged her sword into their hearts. She felt justified, knowing if the situation was reversed, the Barbarians would do the same to her soldiers.  Also, she told herself that many of the wounded were in great pain, and only death would ease their suffering. Their bodies were left to be eaten by wild animals and to rot in the field of battle.

Xena sent riders back to King Belos to tell of their victorious battle, to send as many carts and wagons he had to bring the wounded back to the castle, and that by dawn they would be on the march again.

Over the next few days Xena's army ran into small bands of Barbarian scouts, some were killed, but a few managed to escape back, presumably, to tell Caspero they were coming. And eventually the two armies met just past midday within a large clearing. Xena immediately had her archers begin again to fire their arrows over the shield wall she had ordered made. The Barbarians also had archers, but few of them carried shields.

When the arrows were gone the two armies engaged. The battle raged the rest of the day until it was too dark to see, and both armies retreated into the forest to regroup and rest until the morning.

                                                                                - 4 -

Just before dawn, Xena made her way, via the treetops, into the camp of Caspero's army, intending to assassinate him using her Chakram - cut off the head of the snake and the body dies. She was in luck, he was on horseback, riding back and forth, rallying his troops.

With an evil smile, Xena threw the Chakram, but just before it found its target, a sudden gust of wind swirled into its path, causing it to rise high enough to sail over Caspero's head, unnoticed. And finding no target, the ring returned to Xena's hand.

"Talk about your bad luck," Xena growled, then drew back to throw it again. But just before she let it go, she was suddenly in an open field, but was not able to stop her movement and it sailed away.

"What in Tartarus is going on?" she growled again, mystified and angry at the same time.

"Not Tartarus. Me." Ares said as he appeared in front of her.

"Ares! I should have known. You're the one whose been behind Caspero all this time."

"Well, I offered you the job, but you turned me down, and stole my Chakram."

While he was talking, Xena was slowly walking around him, until his back was to the returning Chakram, but just before it hit him, he moved just enough that it passed him, and his hand went up through its center where it spun around his wrist, slowed and dropped to his hand. Then he pointed at Xena and the Chakram began to spin, unnaturally slowly around his finger.

"What do you want?" She asked, watchng the Chakram.

"Well, I don't want you to kill Caspero. He's not you, could never be you, but in time maybe he'll be good enough."

"Good enough for what?" Xena momentarily looked at Ares, then back to the hypnotic spin of the Chakram.

"Well, to conquer the world of course."

"The why isn't his army attacking Athens, or Sparta, or even the Romans? Why go after such a small kingdom like Belos'?"

"Because they're not quite there yet. But when Caspero's army is able to destroy the army you have trained, then they will be. But I'm still having to send him reinforcements. Even now I have a cavalry of one hundred horses with bowmen in the saddle headed his way. They will arrive by daybreak tomorrow."

"So if we're here, and you've not killed me, what do you want?" Xena shook her head, breaking the spell the Chakram was weaving.

"Obviously I want you to lead my army. I don't want second best, I want you."

"That's never going to happen."

"But my offer still stands - Belos' kingdom, Amphipolis and Poteidaia will be spared."

Xena thought for a few moments. "How about this - you give the Chakram to Caspero, he withdraws his troops for elsewhere and we call it even?"

Ares smiled as he flipped the Chakram to Xena, who slowly and suspiciously put it back on its clip. "I don't need this. And if I gave it to Caspero, he would probably cut his hand off the first time he tried to use it."

"I've faced cavalry troops before. It's amazing what a few hundred fire-tipped arrows can do to that many horses in such tight quarters."

Ares sighed and smiled. "You know, when you led your army, you called yourselves 'Barbarians', but you weren't barbarians, not really. Even now, they're just soldiers; undisciplined and unruly, but not barbarians. But in the lands beyond Gaul, there are Germanic tribes who are true barbarians, with painted faces, who feel exhilaration in battle, and with no fear of death. If necessary, I could send for a thousand of them. They could be here in just a matter of days."

"There has to be something else you want, something we can bargain for." Xena  hoped her growing desperation wasn't evident in her voice.

"Well, there is one thing I would be open to, something else I mentioned in my first offer - an heir. Give me a son, and I will see to it that Caspero and his army will withdraw and turn toward Athens."

The next thing Xena knew, she was back in the tree, and Caspero was still on horseback, but he was telling his men that it was a waste of time, attacking such a small kingdom, and that at daybreak they would be marching to Athens.

                                                                                - 5 -

Starting at dawn, Caspero's army began to break camp and then headed south and east, away from Belos' kingdom. There was no cavalry to be seen. Xena speculated to her men that it was obvious Caspero knew he couldn't win, and decided to retreat. And it would be better to let them go rather than chase after them as some wanted to do. She told them she would go back to the castle to give the king the good news while they also broke camp and headed in the same direction.

Two days later, at midday, after hard riding, Xena entered the castle gates and went immediately to the War Room where Belos was waiting for her.

"Good news!" Xena exclaimed. "The Barbarian army has been defeated. They are withdrawing to the east and south. The kingdom is saved."

"Excellent!" King Belos said, grinning. "Are your troops pursuing and destroying them as they run away?"

"No. I told them to break camp and to go back to their villages and farms and for your core soldiers to return here. Of course I had several squads to keep watch as the Barbarians left."

"But why? What better time to attack than when their backs are to my army?"

"It wasn't part of the agreement. And to renege on our truce agreement isn't - honorable."

"So you struck a bargain with Caspero? And you trust him?"

"Actually, my bargain was with Ares himself."

"Ares? You spoke to Ares? The God of War Ares?" Belos was finding it hard not to laugh out loud.

"I know how it sounds, but trust me - assurances and promises were made. Now, if you will excuse me, I would like to bathe and to rest."

Still skeptical, Belos allowed Xena to withdraw. While she was removing her armor in the queen's bathing room, Gabrielle came in. "I heard what you told the king. Do you really expect us to believe you talked with Ares?"

"I know it is hard to believe, but," Xena picked up her Chakram. "he gave this to me back when the evil sorceress had everyone under her spell. He wanted me to lead his army as Caspero is doing. You know I had no weapons when I was captured and brought here. Where do you think I got it from?"

"I just thought you had it hidden, or found it."

"No, it was from Ares. I tried to give it back to him to give to Caspero, but he had other things in mind. Other things I had to promise him."

Xena turned away to remove the padded tunic she wore under her armor when Gabrielle turned her back around and grabbed her by her upper arms. "Xena, what did you promise Ares?"

Xena hesitated.

"Xena?"

"I told him I would give him a son if he would make sure Caspero's army would never attack this kingdom, Amphipolis or Poteidaia." 

"A son! It's bad enough there is a god of war, but do we really need a demigod of war as well?"

Xena shook off Gabrielle's hands, then took her by her shoulders. "You just don't understand."

"Then explain it to me. Why on earth would you make such a promise?"

"Because there is no way we could have ever defeated Caspero's army! Ares told me that a one hundred horse cavalry was on its way. And he said if that wasn't enough, he could have a thousand Germanic Barbarians join them in just a matter of days. No matter how well my army could fight, they would always be out-manned. And it would be just a matter of days before they would be at the city gates!"

Xena released Gabrielle and returned to removing her tunic. Gabrielle waited until she sat down into the now lukewarm water in the tub.

"So when is this supposed to happen - Ares impregnating you ?"

"Not really sure. He said he wanted me to stay on Mt. Olympus during the entire time before the baby is born, for the safety of his unborn son. But since only the Olympian gods are allowed up there, he had to check with Zeus and Hera."

"Do you realize just how surreal all of this sounds? It's like some kind of Greek drama."

"I know."

Gabrielle let Xena finish her bath, by herself, telling her, "When you are finished and dressed, join me in my bed chamber. I think we have more to discuss."

                                                                                - 6 -

As soon as Xena entered Gabrielle's chamber, Gabrielle said, "You know, even if you weren't allowed at the home of the gods, it might not be so bad if you were here during your pregnancy. I have plenty of advice I could  give you. And it might quell the gossipy speculation that you prefer women, since you spend so many nights here, and that no one has ever seen you in the company of any man, romantically."

Xena laughed. "So the gossips think I am follower of Sappho?"

"Yes, they do."

Before Xena could say anything else, Ares appeared.

"So what did they say?" Xena asked him.

"Just what I just said." Gabrielle answered.

"As I expected." Ares replied. "They said no. In fact, even if you were pregnant, Hera said she would strike you dead the moment even one of your feet touched the marble floors."

"So does that mean the deal is off?"

"What deal?" Gabrielle asked. "What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking to Ares, he is here."

"Oh, really? Ares is right here? Right now? In my bed chamber?"

"She can't see me or hear me," Ares explained.

"He said Hera won't allow me on Mt. Olympus. And even if Ares takes me up there pregnant, she will kill me on the spot."

"So if that is what he said, since you say he is here, then you just remain here, with me, pregnant or not," Gabrielle suggested.

"No, the deal is still on, I just have to find a place to keep you safe until my son is born."

"What's wrong with right here?" Xena asked.

"What's he saying?" Gabrielle asked. "He is still here, right? Right in front of us?"

Tired of being interrupted, Ares appeared to Gabrielle, who was so surprised, and fearful, she got behind Xena, looking around her shoulder at the God of War, very much intimidated and scared.

"So why can't I stay here?" Xena asked him.

"Because I know you. You'll promise to stay in the castle where it is safe, but the first time there is an attack somewhere, and your many skills are needed - off you'll go right into the heart of the battle."

"He has a point," Gabrielle whispered.

"Thank you," Ares said to Gabrielle, who then hid entirely behind Xena.

Suddenly intrigued, Ares tried walking around Xena to get a better look at Gabrielle, but Xena turned with him, keeping her out of sight. So with two fingers and a gesture, Xena found herself on the other side of the room.

"So, let's get a good look at the woman who has won Xena's heart," he said, looking her over as Gabrielle was frozen with fear.

Ares smiled, "You needn't fear me. If I wanted you dead, you would have never seen it coming."

Gabrielle relaxed a little, but was still to scared to move or speak. Ares walked to within an arm's length from her. "I have to admit," he said to Xena over his shoulder, "she's pretty. Not really beautiful, you know, not Aphrodite beautiful. And for having had three children - a decent body. You certainly could have done worse."

Gabrielle smile slightly at the compliment, but still couldn't find her voice, not that she had anything clever to say. While Ares was speaking, Xena had walked over to them, and moved Gabrielle away to put herself again between the two of them. Ares just chuckled.

"So where do you think I will be safe?" Xena asked.

"I really don't know. You'd think I would, but this is a very tumultuous land. It will be hard to find exactly where I want you to stay."

Ares was silent for a while, then said, "I think I'll put our deal on hold - for now. But don't worry, when I find that perfect place, I'll be back for you."

And without another word, he simply disappeared. Nothing was said for several moments.

"So what did you think of the God of War? Just like you imagined?"

"Not at all," Gabrielle answered, her voice still a bit shaky. "To tell you the truth, I would expect a god to be  much, so much taller, and older, with long white hair and beard. If I had seen Ares anywhere else but appearing out of the air in my bed chamber, I certainly wouldn't have guessed he was a god. But even if he was just an ordinary man, he is still scary."

"Well, a god of war should be intimidating."

"So what do we do now? Just wait for him to come back and take you away?"

"That's exactly what we're going to do. We will live our lives as we have been, and hopefully, he will be so busy trying to whip Caspero's army into shape to conquer the world, he will forget about me."

"Yes. We can only hope." Gabrielle hesitated for a bit, then added in almost a whisper, "So, what do you think it would be like - having sex with a god?"

"It had better be mind blowing, unforgettable, and worth spending the next nine months of my life with swollen feet, back aches, and having to pee all the time!"

 

                                                                                THE  END

 Bard's Page

Back to the Academy