Chapter Six

                                       Demigods

The two women stood there, watching each other in case there was a physical change.

“Do you feel anything?” Gabrielle asked.

“I do feel better, somehow.”

“That’s the first stage - all your aches and pains disappear. The stinging in my eyes is gone, and I don’t have to fight to not cough. You?”

“The same. And I do feel stronger.”

Xena bend down and picked up two rocks the size of her fist and tossed one to Gabrielle. She then squeezed it and it shattered into pebbles and dust. Gabrielle copied her with the same result.

“So we’re stronger,” Gabrielle said. “Now, the next stage - can we be cut with knives or swords?”

Xena took out her knife and sliced across her forearm, gently the first time, then harder.

“All it did was dull the edge,” she said. “But I wonder…”

She unclipped her Chakram and tried slicing her arm. She wasn’t cut, but it did leave a red line in her skin.

“Do you think if you really tried to, you could cut into your arm?” Gabrielle asked.

“If it was able to cut the chain, then it probably would. But I would think, hope, it would heal right up.”

Gabrielle nodded, then said, “I wonder if we can fly.”

And without an answer she jumped into the air, going five times her height. But rather than coming to earth as she expected, she floated down about half as fast.

Then Xena jumped, and went twice the height Gabrielle had managed, and she too floated down.

“I bet if you had eaten more of the apple you could fly,” Gabrielle said, a little wistfully.

“Then it’s a good thing I didn’t, otherwise I’d end up having to carry you everywhere,” Xena replied with a grin, and a gleam in her eye.

“Do you remember 78 days ago when we were at that festival in Athens, and there were acrobats tossing each other into the air and doing flips and spins?”

“Vaguely.”

“That looked like so much fun, but I was afraid to try it. But not now.”

Gabrielle jumped into the air again, then curling into a ball, she spun six times before straightening out and floating to earth.

“You should try it,” she said to Xena.

“Spinning around isn’t my idea of fun, but I wonder....”

Suddenly Xena sprang into the air, traveling twice as high as she had the first time. And again she began floating down, but half way down, her speed increased until she was traveling almost three times what a normal person would have fallen. She landed hard enough that Gabrielle could feel the vibration.

“Are you all right? What happened?” she exclaimed, worried something had gone wrong.

“Nothing. We are able to slow our descent. I just wanted to know if I could do the opposite and speed up. And I could, unfortunately…”

Xena took off one boot to show Gabrielle that the sole was split from heel to toe.

Gabrielle chuckled. “Next time you should take your boots off. But I guess that would come in handy if we had to crash down through a stone ceiling.”

“So, what other powers should we have?”

Gabrielle shrugged. “I don’t know.”

Gabrielle pointed her hand at a scrubby bush for a few moments.

“Well, I can’t throw fire from my fingertips. But I think we have powers we just haven’t discovered yet.”

“Well, your memory seems to have gotten better.”

“What do you mean?”

“You remembered exactly how many days ago we were in Athens, and you remembered the acrobats. I barely recall seeing them.”

“Well, maybe the powers are specific to each person, as with each god. I’m sure they will show up when we need them.”

“Maybe. In the meantime I think we should get off this mountain. It’s too exposed. And even with our new powers I wouldn’t want to test them against a true goddess like Hera.”

Xena started packing up the things Ares had brought when Gabrielle stopped her.

“Xena, are you hungry, or thirsty?”

“No.”

“Hot? Cold?”

“Not really.”

“So we’re gods. Why do we need these things?”

“Because if we’re going to blend in and hide from Hera in that village, then we have to act like normal people.”

“So I guess running and jumping off this mountain and floating to the bottom is out of the question.”

“Now you’re catching on,” Xena said, answering Gabrielle’s grin with one of her own.

After one last look around, the two of them started down the mountain, pushing boulders out of the way until they found a path leading to the village.

After a while Gabrielle said, “Didn’t you think it was odd that Thor just happened to have a Golden Apple with him?”

“Didn’t much think about it.”

“Well I did. And you want to know what I think?”

“Would it do me much good if I didn’t?”

“No.”

“Okay, why do you think Thor brought one of his magic apples with him?”

“I think that if he couldn’t find Hercules, he was going to give it to you. Or at least ask you if you’d eat it, so you could go back and help him.”

“Me? How do you know he wouldn’t give it to you? You’re the one he’s got that ‘special fondness’ for.”

“Yeah, well maybe he does. But you’re the one who ate the remains I vomited up, and became god-like enough to swing his hammer to free him from the chains.”

“So I guess the only way to know for sure is to ask him,” they said together, then laughed.

“Maybe we can read each other’s minds now, seeing that we’re already soul mates,” Gabrielle said.

“I hope not. There are some particularly dark things in my mind I’d just as soon you not know about.”

By this time they were entering the outskirts of the town and all eyes were on them. And as Ares had predicted, they weren’t very friendly. Not long after that, they came to small huts surrounded by gardens and fields, and everywhere rocks and boulders were strewn - the results of Thor’s hammering. At one hut an old man and woman were using a long oak limb, trying to roll a large boulder out of a patch of ripening beans.

“We have to help these people,” Gabrielle whispered.

“I agree,” Xena replied. “But we can’t make it look too easy. If we’re going to blend in, we can’t draw any unnecessary attention to us.”

Gabrielle nodded, then said to the man, “Maybe we can help, if you’ll let us.”

After looking them up and down, and noticing that Xena was carrying her boots, he shook his head then said, “Fine, not that it will help.”

Both Xena and Gabrielle flanked the couple and slowly it began to roll. When it was out of the garden, the old man said that was far enough.

“Thank you both,” his wife said. “Thank you so much.”

“I’m just glad we could help,” Gabrielle said. “We’re new in town, just passing through. You wouldn’t happen to know where we could spend a night or two would you? Maybe there’s an inn?”

“No, no inn,” the man answered. “But the tavern has rooms upstairs. Maybe Ackus will rent one for all night. Most of the time it’s for just a little while. You get my drift?”

“We get it,” Xena said. “Any place I might get my boots fixed?”

She showed him the bottoms, where the second had split as well on the walk down the side of the mountain.

“Got a tannery on the other side of town. Marcus can fix you up fine.”

“Well, thanks for the information,” Gabrielle said. “Maybe we’ll see you later.”

The old couple nodded, then turned back to the garden to repair the damage to their beans. Xena and Gabrielle continued on to the center of the village.

 

                                      Chapter Seven

                                        New Powers

The closer to the tavern they got, the less bothered Xena and Gabrielle were with all the eyes on them than they were with all the rocks and small, and some not-so-small boulders that had damaged so many huts, gardens and barns and dotted the fields.

“Xena, you know we have to do something to help get rid of these rocks.”

“Yes, I know. Maybe if there’s enough moon tonight we can come back after everyone’s asleep and find some place to get rid of them.”

Gabrielle nodded, and continued to take note of where they could do the most good.

“That has to be it,” Xena observed as they approached the only two story building in town.

As they entered the tavern all eyes were on them: men, thinking they might be bought for a roll in the hay, despite Xena’s armor and the handle of her sword showing over the top of her right shoulder. And they were being eyed by the women - thinking they were competition.

When they walked to the counter, space was made for them.

“My friend and I would like a room for the night; all night. Any available?” Xena asked the bartender.

“You got money?” he asked.

Gabrielle took two coins from a pouch an laid them on the counter. The bartender picked one up, studying it in the dim light of the candles.

“Greek dinars,” he said. “Hmm. Don’t seem to be counterfeit. Can’t be too careful, you know.”

“How much for a room?” Gabrielle asked.

“Five. Plus another two if you want blankets and candles.”

“No candles in the room?” Xena asked.

“You want light after dark, you gotta have candles.”

“Two blankets?” Gabrielle said.

The bartender nodded.

“Clean? And without fleas?”

He nodded again.

“And how many candles?”

“Shouldn’t need more than one tall, or two short.”

“We’ll take them,” Xena said, never one to haggle. “Pay the man,” she said to Gabrielle, who brought out five more coins.

“The room with the biggest bed has a bull on the door. That one’s yours. It locks from the inside.”

They climbed the stairs to the second floor, noticing that instead of numbers the rooms had animals on the doors - a bear, a dog, a horse, a rooster, and their bull. Both came to the conclusion that it because so many of the temporary customers couldn’t read. The room had one bed, barely large enough for two people, a very worn table and two chairs. Xena took off her armor, Chakram and sword and put them on the table while Gabrielle spread both blankets over the bed.

“Did you notice that we both understood what the tavern keeper was saying?”

“I did. So either Ares was wrong, or gods can understand any language.”

“Makes sense, I guess.”

“Well, since it will be a while before sunset, what should we do?” Xena asked.

Gabrielle immediately dropped her clothes to the floor, and lay down on the bed, arms over her head, legs spread, inviting Xena to join her.

“I suppose we could see what it’s like for two goddesses to make love,” she said with a hungry look on her face.
Xena’s clothes hit the floor and she leaped across the room to land on top of Gabrielle, slowing herself just enough to keep the bed from collapsing, which still creaked from the weight of the two of them. Their mouths found the other’s as their arms and legs entwined, as their passion soared higher and higher.

 

“Well,” Gabrielle said, eyes closed, completely satisfied, for the moment. “That certainly was - different. By the gods, Xena, I never would have expected our fever for each other could have been any hotter than it was before.”

“I know what you mean.”

“I wonder if we disturbed anyone in the next room.”

“Considering what goes on, I doubt if anyone even noticed. Listen.”

And from rooms on either side of theirs, moans, groans, panting, and beds thumping against the walls could be heard. The longer they listened, the more they could hear - sounds from more rooms. And then noises from the tavern downstairs - men and women laughing and carousing; arguments and fights; drinks being poured and gulped down.

“They look like wood,” Gabrielle said, “but the walls and floors must be made of parchment, very thin parchment.”

“Or our hearing is better, more god like.”

They lay there a while longer listening to the sounds of the tavern, sometimes smiling. But the sounds most stimulating were the ones from the rooms next to them. Without realizing it, they changed position - Gabrielle was now on top, and their passions grew until once again they were oblivious of the sounds around them.

 

“Xena, I think it’s dark outside. But not so much in here.”

Xena went to the window and saw torches flickering all around the town square as people were preparing to end their day.

“You’re right. And it looks like you were right about us having powers we’ve yet to discover. I guess seeing in the dark is another one. In a little while everyone should be inside and we can do what we can to get rid of the rocks and boulders.”

“I suppose we should jump out of the window since we can’t lock the door from the outside. And we surely don’t need any weapons.”

“Not until these powers wear off.”

Not long after that, after the streets were deserted, they leapt from the window, landing softly enough no one heard them. They had decided the best way to rid the fields and gardens of the rubble was to line both sides of the road into town with them. The bigger boulders, waist high and around, or larger, they discovered took both of them to move them, otherwise they would shatter when they tried to pick them up alone, making more noise than they wanted.

When the first rooster crowed, they realized day was about to break so they returned to the tavern, satisfied with what they had done. And reversing their exits, jumped up into the window headfirst to land with barely a thump.

“I see our clothes are filthy,” Gabrielle noticed, “but we’re as clean as if we just took a bath.”

“Well, I never did see Ares or Thor dirty, so I guess dirt doesn’t stick to us.”

“If we’re going to blend in, we really need to buy clothes that don’t advertise that we’re warriors. But I’m worried about our weapons and armor. What are we going to do with them until we need them again?”

“Good question. Maybe if we give the tavern owner a few dinars he’ll keep them for us until we can find someplace else to live. And I still want to find that tannery to get my boots resoled.”

“You know, we may need to find jobs. We only have fifteen dinars left. And the way we’re spending them they won’t last long.”

“Well, let’s get what we need, and we’ll figure something out.”

 

                                      Chapter Eight

                                       Blending In

After gathering their things, Xena and Gabrielle went down to talk to the tavern keeper.

“It appears we’ll be staying longer than we planned,” Xena explained. “And we were wondering if there was someplace we can put out weapons until we decide to leave.”

The man shrugged his shoulders.

“So what about buying some clothes?” Gabrielle asked.

“Nope,” he replied. “Everyone here makes their own. Once the marketplace opens you can buy some fabric to make what you need. Or you can go see Marcus and buy some leather sheets.”

“That won’t work for us,” Xena told him. “We don’t sew. And we don’t have the needles and thread even if we did.”

“Isn’t there anything here in town?” Gabrielle almost pleaded.

“Well, I suppose you could offer to buy some clothes from some town folks.”

He thought for a moment, then said, “But in the back room I do have some things people have left here. You know how it is - people get drunk and stumble out without their coats. Or things get left in the rooms - pants, shirts, even skirts sometimes. You’re welcome to look.”

“Thanks,” Xena said as they headed for the door he indicated.

Piled up in a corner were the clothes. And as they went through them, sorting and separating them, Gabrielle, said, “I’ve never seen such a sad assortment of clothes. And the smell. Doesn’t anyone ever wash anything?”

“Well I imagine they’ve been here a while. This isn’t so bad.”

Xena was holding up a long leather, wool- lined coat, the only thing that even came close to fitting her.

“I think this will work. What do you think?”

Gabrielle nodded, then went back to the pile. She had set aside a long skirt and blouse, very similar to what she had worn while growing up.

“These aren’t too dirty, or worn,” she said almost to herself. “And they fit pretty good,” she said after putting them on over her warrior clothes.

“Gabrielle, lift me up. I want to see something.”

Gabrielle put out her hand and Xena stepped into it, and Gabrielle lifted her up as high as she could.

“This is perfect,” Xena said. “This was originally only one story, and the second floor was added later. There is a ledge here where the roof was taken off. Hand me up your sword and scabbard.”
Gabrielle did as requested and Xena put them on the ledge, and added hers, and her Chakram to them, then dropped to the floor.

“Get everything you wanted?” she asked Gabrielle. Gabrielle nodded and they left the room.

“So where did you say that tannery was?” Xena asked the tavern owner.

“Out the door and back to your right. Straight through the market until you reach the other side of town. You can’t miss the smell.”

The two of them left the tavern and headed in the direction he had said. As they entered the town square, there were still suspicious eyes on them, but the main topic of conversation was the mystery of how the boulders and large rocks had been moved out of the fields and gardens and were now lining both sides of the road into town. Most speculated that one of the gods had taken pity on them.

It didn’t take long to find the tannery. And to Xena’s surprise, Marcus also made boots and shoes so she was able to buy a new pair that fit for five dinars.

“So, where now?” Gabrielle asked.

“Don’t know. Maybe we should ask around about some kind of work.”

The two of them walked back to the center of town where the market was located. They looked over the various booths trying to decided who could afford to hire them - farmers, craftsmen (carpenters, potters, the blacksmith, the tanner, the tinsmith). But it was obvious everything made was home-produced by family members. Finding work that actually paid a salary was going to be next to impossible.
Several times Gabrielle or Xena would approach someone about some work they could do, and were either completely ignored, or told abruptly there was no work to be had, and to move along.

“Maybe we could get a job at the tavern,” Gabrielle suggested, half-serious. “It seems like there are always troublemakers that need to be taken care of.”

“Maybe one of us … maybe. But I doubt if the tavern keeper would want to pay both of us to just sit there, waiting for trouble to start.”

“I didn’t really expect that anyway.”

“What if we just leave, and live on the road like we have been?”

“We may have to,” Gabrielle admitted. “And who knows? Maybe we would be less likely to be found by Hera. Except - I really would just as soon go back home to Greece.”

“Let’s go back to the tavern and get our things, and just get out of town.”

The two women turned toward the tavern when they heard the familiar muted whoosh and felt the ground shake as Thor and Hercules landed
behind them.

“So much for blending in,” Xena said as they turned back around.

Without a thought, Gabrielle rushed toward Thor, intending to give him a hug, but a the last moment he stopped her, holding her by her upper arms. He looked into her eyes, then said, “You are no longer mortal.”

He looked over at Xena and said, “Nor are you.”

“Yeah, we went back into the cave and found what was left of the apple. We dug out all the seeds, divided it up and ate it. If Hera was coming after us, it seemed like the best way to protect ourselves.”

“Good thinking,” Hercules said. And was rewarded with a smile and a nod of thanks.

“So why are you two back so soon?” Gabrielle asked. “I thought you’d be gone, well, longer than one day.”

“Things have become dire, bordering on disastrous.”

“What?”

“Is there a place we can talk in private?” Thor asked, noticing a crowd was gathering.

“Probably the tavern,” Xena said. “This time of day it should still be empty. We spent last night there.”

As the four of them headed in the direction Xena indicated, she took off her coat and tossed it onto a table that an old woman, and most likely her granddaughter, were selling homemade baskets. Gabrielle shed the peasant skirt and blouse and added them to the pile.

 

                                      Chapter Nine

                                       Tavern Talk

When the four of them were almost to the tavern, several older men blocked their way, and they went to one knee. One of them said to
Thor, “We are the town elders, and please forgive us. We know you are a god, but we do not recognize you.”

“That is because I am not from this land. I have traveled a long distance to this place.”

Just them Gabrielle spoke up, with a certain amount of pride in her voice, “He is Thor, the God of Thunder of the Northlands. And the hammer he carries put the God of War, Ares face down in the dirt.”

“And this is the legendary Hercules,” Xena said. “Son of Zeus. With strength no god could hope to match.”

With a trembling voice, the old man said, “We are twice honored with your presence. But tell us, how can we make you stay in our humble village more pleasant? With food and drink? No, of course not! What use would a god have of such things?”

“It is true we do not need to eat or drink,” Thor said. “However a keg of your finest ale would be appreciated.”

“It shall be done! Anything more? Just name it.”

“How about some privacy?” Xena cut in. “We were thinking the tavern.”

“Of course. No one shall disturb you.”

As the elders scurried off to make preparations, Xena said, “So that’s what it’s like to be a god, huh? Everyone bowing and scraping just to please you?”

“It is. But there are times when it becomes tiresome.”

When they arrived, the tavern was empty except for the tavern keeper. On one large table was the promised ale and four copper goblets. Thor poured ale into two of them, for himself and Xena; Hercules and Gabrielle had turned their goblets upside down. And after drinking half of his down, Thor complimented the barman, then turned to business.

“You recall the fissure I told you about, with the mist that was coming from it, causing strife and fighting among the clans.”

“I remember,” Xena said.

“From the crack in the earth there is now a pillar of fire, three times the height of a man. All are now of one mind - to imprison as many virgins to be found until the time has come to sacrifice them to the flame, which will bring forth the one its followers are calling the ‘One True God.’ “

“You couldn’t stop it?” Xena asked.

“Have you ever thrown a stone into smoke billowing to the sky? It is the same with Mjölnir and the flame. It passes through it as if through the air. And when Hercules attempted to fill the fissure with boulders, the followers crowded around the flame as thick as the fur on the hare in winter, protecting it, knowing he would not risk killing innocents.”

“They don’t sound very innocent to me,” Gabrielle said. “Capturing young women? And why is it always virgins that have to be sacrificed?”

“Purity,” Xena answered. “Nothing more pure than that.”

“They are under a spell of some kind,” Thor explained. “We believe that once this god is defeated, everyone will return to his, and her, right mind.”

“Umm, Thor,” Gabrielle said slowly, as if something just came to mind. “There’s something I don’t quite understand. When I was in Asgard, even though I was out most of the time, I heard voices, and names - Freya, Balder, Heimdall, Sif, Frigga, and Odin.”

“How can this be? You were near death. Yet you remember those who came to visit you?”

“Yeah,” Xena said. “She does that now. Ever since she ate her portion of the apple, she remembers everything.”

“But the point I’m trying to make,” Gabrielle continued, “is that if they are gods, why can’t they fight this new god? Why come all the way to Greece to find Hercules?”

“We tried. Before Hercules and I returned, they went amongst the followers, but they swarmed like wolves fighting over a deer carcass. My friends could not be harmed, but they had no desire to injure or kill those who attacked them. Even in disguise the priests knew us and sent them against us.”

“So now what?” Xena asked.

“Hercules and I returned to seek your help. Knowing your abilities, we wished you to come to the Northland and use your warrior skills to neutralize the priests.”

Suddenly both of Gabrielle’s hands slapped hard down on the table as she stood up, the goblets and the keg of ale hitting the floor.

“You want Xena to be your ASSASSIN?” she said loudly, and angrily.

“No, you misunderstand,” Thor hastily replied. “We need her to capture and secret away those priests. Eventually there will be no one to lead. But we suspect this god has given them the ability to recognize those who are not mortal.”

Thor then turned to look over his shoulder. “Innkeeper, more cups and another keg of ale.”

He then looked back at Xena. “However, now that you’ve eaten the apple, this is a problem. We cannot wait until your powers fade.”

“So there is no way to make them go away now?” Gabrielle asked.

“Certainly, one or two of the seeds of the Golden Apples will take them. It was only because you ate all of them that you were poisoned almost to your death.”

“Then I guess we’re in luck,” Xena said as she brought out the seeds she had saved. “How many did you say I have to eat?”

“Xena! You’re not going to do this are you?” Gabrielle was stunned. “Get rid of your powers just like that?”

“Why not? We’re going to lose them anyway.”

“But … what he’s asking you to do, don’t you realize how dangerous it is? You could be killed. Or sacrificed to this - this god!”

“Fight it now or fight it later, when it decides Greece is next.”

“Well, you do realize you aren’t going without me, don’t you?”

“I had no intention of leaving you behind.” Xena then looked at Thor, still talking to Gabrielle. “Just so long as I know you’ll be safe.”

“She shall be with us in Asgard, as safe as if you were by her side.”

“This all sounds well and good,” Gabrielle went on. “But how are you going to get Hercules, Xena and me there. You can’t carry all of us.”

“Maybe I can help,” a familiar voice said.

Hercules, Xena and Gabrielle turned around to see Ares there.

“Ares!” Xena spat out. “What do you want?”

“I’m here to help. You need a way to travel north. I can take two with me.”

“And just why would you want to do that?” she asked, hostility still in her voice.

“How did you know we were here?” Gabrielle asked.

“I always know where Xena is,” he replied. “And Hercules.”

“How?” Xena asked.

“After all the time we spent together? Why wouldn’t I want to know where you are? And who knows, maybe one day you just might want to....”

“Forget it, Ares,” Xena said, cutting him off. “Those days are long past, and long gone.”

Thor got to his feet, wanting to defuse the growing hostility.

“Friend Ares, we welcome your assistance.”

And he walked over to Ares, hand extended in friendship. He and Ares clasped forearms.

“I don’t believe this,” Xena said. “Just a few months ago you two were fighting to the death.”

“Things change,” Ares said. “You should know Zeus is aware of, well, everything. He wasn’t too happy with Hercules leaving like he did, for the reason he did. But now that he’s back, I’m here to do what I can to help out in any way.”

“So my father thinks I need protecting?” Now Hercules was sounding angry.

“Not at all, now that you’re almost a true god. But he is worried about this pillar-of-fire god, and he would just as soon have it defeated in the Northlands than to have to battle it here.”

“Fine,” Gabrielle said. “Help out all you want. But I still have one question.”

“You’re just full of questions, aren’t you?” Ares shot back.

“You’re damned right I am,” Gabrielle retorted. “And now I want someone to tell just how is Xena supposed to resist being controlled by this fire-pillar god once her powers are taken away.”

“Not an insignificant question, well worth an equally not insignificant answer,” Thor responded.

“I’d like to know that as well,” Xena chimed in.

“If you eat but two of the seeds, your powers will leave you, with substantial pain. But I believe that consuming one seed and half of another, you will lose your powers yet still have the ability to resist falling under this god’s influence.”

“But it will still be painful.”

“It will, but lessened somewhat.”

“Then let’s do this,” Xena said, producing a small knife from between her breasts.

“But first, my friends,” Thor said as he came to his feet, “We must toast to our success. Everyone must drink.”

He then began pouring ale into the cups.

“Innkeeper,” he said, “Join us. Bring your cup. You will be witness to history, a tale to tell your children and grandchildren.”

Timidly the tavern owner joined them, trembling slightly, and holding out a cup to be filled. Everyone stood up.

When all cups and goblets were raised, Thor said, “To success, and to those who may die a warrior’s death in this endeavor!”

They all took at least a token swallow, then slammed the cups to the table, smashing all but one of them to pieces.

Xena carefully cut one seed in two, popped it and a whole one into her mouth and washed them down with the ale in the tavern owner’s intact cup.

 

                                      Chapter Ten

                                    To The Northland

As they stood there, waiting for the seeds to work, Gabrielle said, “ You know it was yesterday when we ate the apple, wouldn’t it have been digested by now?”

Thor smiled at her, he couldn’t help it. “One would think, and I asked my father the same question, and he told me this: As soon as the apple is swallowed, its magic begins to fill the body, and we no longer need to eat or drink, and digestion stops. So the apple remains in the stomach, disbursing its magic until it gone. But the entire apple, excluding the seeds, of course, must be eaten for true godhood to occur. Drinking only the juice, or only eating bits of it will cause the magic to be absorbed in a short time.”

Just then, Xena yelled out and grabbed her stomach with one hand, the other on the table, trying not to fall. Her face had gone a pale white, with sweat covering her brow and running down her face. Gabrielle went to her, holding her to keep her from falling. Her grimaced expression revealed how great the pain was that she was trying to endure.

“Let’s put her on the table,” Gabrielle said, but Xena resisted.

“No,” she struggled to say. “It’s not so bad now.”

But it was all she could do to keep from doubling over and falling to the floor. Both Thor and Hercules helped Gabrielle to keep Xena on her feet. She began to pant and her eyes rolled back into her head. And despite her previous protest, they made her lie on the table. Slowly her breathing returned to almost normal, but the color had yet to return to her face.

“Well, I guess I know what I have to look forward to,” Gabrielle said.

“What do you mean?” Thor asked.

“When I eat the seeds.”

“Why would you do that?” he asked.

“Well, since Xena is no longer a demi-god, I just thought I would, I don’t know, stop being one as well.”

“No, you must remain one. You will be the one to protect her if need be. The powers you have may just save her life if she is found to be a spy among this god’s followers.”

“But won’t they know I’m not a mortal?”

“They will, but Heimdall will know if she is discovered, and it will be up to you to rescue her.”

“So, just who is this Heimdall?”

“Heimdall has the power to see all. He is the one who keeps watch over the Nine Realms. And he will know if Xena is in danger.”

“And just what will everyone else be doing?”

“I suspect you think I have recruited you three to fight this enemy while I and my brothers and sisters stand idly by,” Thor replied.

“That’s what it sounds like,” Gabrielle answered back.

“And now that I think about it,” Xena chimed in through her pain, “that’s exactly what it sounds like.”

“And you also, friend Hercules, and you, Ares, are these your thoughts as well?”

“Well, I think we would like some kind of explanation,” Hercules said.

“Very well. You must know that we have enemies that you cannot conceive of. Enemies that now know we are under siege. And they think we are weak and easily defeated, not knowing this god we battle against may one day conquer them as well. Many Asgardians have been sent to protect our borders against invasion, while others, such as Freya and Baldar, and even Odin, act as emissaries, hoping to prevent war with others. So you see, you are not the only gods, and demigods, who have been beseeched to campaign against this alleged undefeatable foe.”

“Okay,” Xena said. “Now that we know what the situation is, how do we work this - all of us going to Asgard?”

She had regained her feet even though it was obvious she still had pain.

“Since Ares says he can sense you, then I should take you, and after we have arrived, then he can follow with Hercules and Gabrielle.”
Thor looked to Ares.  “A sensible plan?”

“Works for me.”

Xena walked over to Thor and put her arms around his neck, holding herself tight up against him; his left arm firmly encircling her waist, and spinning Mjölnir, they were almost immediately airborne, then gone.

“We’ll have to wait a while, to give them a chance to get there,” Ares said.

“Did either one of you believe what he was saying, about those other enemies?” Gabrielle asked.

“He was telling the truth,” Ares said. “I would know.”

“Thor had no reason to lie. And I have seen the followers of this fire god; they are fanatics, ready to die for him.”
Gabrielle went silent, but was staring at Ares.

“What?”

“That’s what I want to know,” she replied. “What’s going on with you? I’ve known you quite a few years, Ares, and something smells like ten-day-old fish. You are not acting like - you. Where is the Ares who only cares about himself? What sneaky, devious little plan are you working on? Who are you planning on stabbing in the back?”

Instead of answering, Ares head perked up, then said, “Time to go.”

And without a warning, grabbed Gabrielle’s upper arm and put his other hand on Hercules’ shoulder, and in an instant they were in Asgard. Waiting for them were Thor, Xena, and two women; one was regal and dignified   and stunningly beautiful. The other was almost as beautiful, wearing silver armor, and bearing a particularly fearsome looking sword.

“You have arrived!” Thor exclaimed, as if he weren’t expecting them so soon. “All of you, I introduce Frigga, wife of Odin, and my mother. And the Lady Sif. My regrets, but my father Odin is occupied elsewhere overseeing delicate negotiations.”

Before he could introduce those from Greece, Frigga said, “I welcome you to Asgard again, Hercules. And I welcome you also, Ares.”

She then went to Gabrielle and took both of her hands in her own, not giving her a chance to bow or curtsy.

“And I welcome you again, dear Gabrielle. I see you have fully recovered. And you have partaken of the Golden Apple.”

“Just half of it,” Gabrielle stammered, “Xena ate the other half.”

Frigga smiled. “Yes, I know. Thor has told me. I am loathe to disparage the queen of your gods, but if you and Xena felt you had to protect yourselves from Hera, then I cannot but wonder what would cause her to be so ---”

“I just think she’s unhappy, for whatever reason,” Gabrielle said.

“Never one to speak harshly of others. I can see it is in your nature.”

The entire time they were talking, Gabrielle was very aware that Sif’s eyes, steely and cold, never wavered from her. She then strode purposefully to Gabrielle and put out her hand. Gabrielle expected the forearm to forearm greeting, but was surprised when instead, Sif grabbed her hand, and began to squeeze. After a moment or two, Gabrielle began to squeeze back, but she could tell Sif was stronger, and it seemed as if she was trying to put Gabrielle to her knees in submission.

At first Gabrielle only felt the pressure, but slowly she began to feel something she had almost forgotten about - pain. Not much, not yet, but she knew the longer they continued, the greater the pain would be.

Xena saw right away what was happening, and despite the fact she now had no godly powers, she unclipped her Chakram, knowing she could do damage with it, even to a god. But Thor, also seeing the enmity in Sif, went to them, and took each by the wrist and pulled their hands apart as easily as if pulling apart a loaf of fresh bread.

“We have much to do,” he said somberly. “There is no time for frivolity and tests of strength. Sif, seek out Heimdall, see what news he might have.”

Sif turned on her heel and stormed away, swinging her sword as if fending off an enemy.

“And now, let us go into the Great Hall and formulate our plans.”

“Well, that is my cue to leave,” Ares said.

“Thank you for your assistance,” Frigga said. “Give my regards to Zeus.” She hesitated a moment, then added, “And to Hera as well.”

Ares nodded, then disappeared. As they all headed to the Hall, Gabrielle caught up to Frigga.

“Excuse me, Queen Frigga, but what was all that about? I’ve never even met Sif, but she acts as if we are - enemies.”

“When Thor brought you here to save your life, something very unprecedented, he hardly left your side. And after your recovery and he returned you to your home, he spoke of you often with a great fondness in his voice. You see, Sif is in love with Thor, and hopes one day they will marry. But she sees you as a rival for his affections.”

“But - but Xena and I are … well, we…”

“I know your heart, Gabrielle, and I see love for both Thor and for Xena. There may come the day when you will have to choose.”

Frigga walked on ahead as Xena caught up to Gabrielle.

“So what was that all about? You and Sif?”

“She thinks I’m after Thor.”

“Really?”

 

Continued

 

Back to the Academy