Chapter Eight

                                      Preparing for ‘Xena’

Xena started to say more, but she was just too tired. “Need to rest,” she whispered. “Just for a little while.”

Moments later she was asleep, and Gabrielle gestured that they should leave the hut to let her rest. When they were outside the hut, Gabrielle saw that Autolycus still had spears pointed at him.

“Velasca,” she said, indicating Autolycus. “Really?”

“Amazons, lower your spears.”

“Thank you,” Autolycus said. “Now about that stew.”

“Fetch him something to eat,” Velasca said to one of them, then turned to Gabrielle.
“So now what do we do?”

“I don’t care what Xena said, I’m calling for Ares. He’s the only one I know who can help her.”

“Do you really think he will come?”

“Only one way to find out. Ares! Ares! A R E S!”

Gabrielle stopped to take a breath and yelled out his name several more times. But there was nothing.

“Sometimes he doesn’t respond right away,” she said to Velasca, whose look of doubt was increasing.

“Ares! I know you can hear me! And I know you have to know what has happened to Xena! A-R-E-E-E-E-E-S!”

When she stopped for another breath, there was a silent, slightly blue flash of light and Ares was there, much to the surprise of everyone but Gabrielle and Autolycus. There was more than a little fear in all the Amazons.

“I heard you,” he said. “You know I can’t just drop everything every time someone yells out my name.”

“Sorry. But this is....”

“I know what this is. And I’m here to tell you that Hera has forbidden me to help Xena in any way. It was all I could do to even be here without her knowing it.”

“So, what can we do? You can give us information, can’t you?”

Ares shook his head. “Nope, not even that. But she didn’t say I couldn’t bring my sister with me.”

And next to him was another silent flash, this one slightly silver in color. Velasca and the others immediately recognized the silver-armored goddess who had appeared, and they all went to one knee, heads bowed. Even Gabrielle, who was used to Ares, and Autolycus bowed slightly.

“Goddess Artemis,” Velasca said. “You honor us with your presence, and we welcome you to our humble camp.”

“Arise, all of you,” Artemis said. They complied, still in awe at her appearance, even more so than Ares.

Looking at Velasca, she said, “So you think I have been ignoring you all these years? That I have disregarded your sacrifices and tributes? Who do you think directed you to this forest, to the protection of Alti? And who do you think guided Ephiny’s hand in training your Amazons to become the warriors they are today – able to stand against even the soldiers of Sparta? And who do you think gave you the wisdom to lead these women along that narrow bridge between caution and conflict?”

“I – I had no idea. Please forgive me.”

“There is one concern I have – while Ephiny is a valiant warrior and a valued member of this tribe, she is entirely too war-like, and I fear you are right – that one day she will question your ability to lead these women.”

Artemis then took from her hair a three-tined silver comb half the length of her hand, and she slid it into Velasca’s hair.

“As long as this comb is in your possession Ephiny will be content in her role as second in command and will not challenge your right of leadership.”

Velasca touched the comb with trembling fingers, and was barely able to express her thanks.

 Artemis nodded then said, “And so,” as she turned to Gabrielle. “While Hera has said nothing to me about Xena, and Alti’s mission, it is my consideration that Hercules’ death would not be in the interest of safety of the mortals he protects. I cannot directly go against Hera and aid you in your quest to stop Alti and to move Xena back into her body. But that does not mean that the weapons you may need will not find their way into your possession.”

“Okay,” Gabrielle answered, not sure of what Artemis was trying to tell her.

Artemis put out one fist, and from it a slightly glowing silver sword grew, the length and weight almost half again of the one that Gabrielle had used for so long while battling alongside Xena.

“This sword will not break, and it will give its user the strength of arm to battle those bigger and stronger.”

Artemis reversed it and handed it to Gabrielle hilt first. She could feel its power singing as she grasped the handle, and it felt natural in her hand: its weight and balance was perfect. And Artemis then brought out a small silver disk that grew until it became an oval shield that would cover Gabrielle from neck to navel.

“This shield cannot be penetrated by any mortal weapon, nor any Alti may wield, including the Chakram she stole.”

This she handed to Gabrielle, who felt the same power in it as the sword.

“And there is one more weapon you must have.”

Artemis brought out a silver dagger, the blade as long as from her wrist to fingertip. Gabrielle held the sword with the hand holding the shield and took the dagger.

“The sword I gave you will kill Alti, but if you want Xena back, you cannot use it to end her. There is one place you must have the dagger penetrate, one place where Alti is vulnerable. When you can, you must plunge the blade to the hilt into the precise spot that the Spear of Odin pierced Xena’s body. It is her weakest spot. And you must hold it there until Alti is gone and Xena is back into her body. Then you must immediately withdraw it or Xena will surely die!”

“But how will I know when that is?”

“You will know by her eyes. You have stared into Xena’s eyes many times. You will know.”

“I don’t know how to thank you,” Gabrielle started to say, when Ares interrupted. “Um, Sister – transportation?”

“I was getting to that,” Artemis said, and walked over to Gabrielle’s horse, the one Autolycus had stolen for her. And one that was well past its prime, good for riding, but useless in battle. Artemis place one hand on its neck and it became a well-muscled, spirited steed with a silver saddle and bridle.

“This horse will carry you, and a companion—” here she quickly glanced at Autolycus and then back to Gabrielle. “-if you feel the need for one, throughout the day without needing to stop for food, water, or rest. But it must have those things from sunset to sunrise.”

“I understand. And you have no idea how much all this means to me. But, I have no clue as to where Alti has gone, or where Hercules is.”

“When the sun sets, you must make a sacrifice to the all-seeing Sun-god Helios. The blood of a pure white ram is to be mixed with frankincense then thrown into a fire within an altar of stones constructed for this purpose. When this is done you may ask him the whereabouts of Hercules. He will tell you where you need to go. But if you wait too long after dusk, or act too soon before, he will not hear you.”

“Thank you again,” Gabrielle said, almost overwhelmed. “So, when this is over and Xena is back to being herself, what do I do with these weapons?”

“They will return to me on their own.” Artemis turned to Ares. “Brother, shall we go before we are discovered?”

Ares nodded and they both disappeared.

“Well, I guess I know what I’ll be doing come tomorrow morning,” Gabrielle said. “Autolycus, are you up for another adventure?”

“Sure, why not? It’s not like I have another life waiting for me somewhere, anywhere.”

“It will be dark soon. You don’t mind if we sleep in Alti’s hut do you?” Gabrielle asked Velasca. “I’d like to be near her until we leave.”

Velasca hesitated – it was scandalous enough that Autolycus was in their camp not as a prisoner, but to allow a man to share the same hut with a woman? But considering it was Gabrielle who indirectly brought Artemis to them, this one-time exception could be made.

“Of course. And thank you for calling Ares. The appearance of Artemis has renewed the strength, the faith, in us I felt we were losing. Food and water will be brought to you.”

“Thank you.”

Gabrielle and Autolycus entered the hut where Xena was sleeping. Gabrielle bent down and whispered to her, “I’m sorry I went against your wishes, but I had to do it. And when you are back into your body and Alti is dead, you will realize that sometimes I do know what is best.”

They both lay down on straw mattresses and by the time it was fully dark they were asleep.

 

                                         Chapter Nine

                                      Going After ‘Xena’

Although Gabrielle awoke each time she heard Xena moan or cough, she still slept better than she expected. Autolycus, on the other hand, snored through the entire night. And even though she had been irritated at his snoring during their journey to find the Amazons, for some reason she now found it almost comforting. She knew the days ahead were not going to be easy ones, and she was grateful he agreed to join her.

Maybe she was getting used to it, she mused. And his company was nice to have. At least Alti had chosen someone she had come to respect. And she realized she felt more fondness for him than anyone – any man, since, well since Thor.

When the first rays of dawn began to lighten the sky Gabrielle roused Autolycus then went outside to relieve herself. And has Velasca had promised, outside the hut was food for breakfast: rabbit stew and water.

“Do I smell food?” Autolycus asked.

The communal breakfast had been started before daybreak. Gabrielle could hear muted sounds of activity throughout the camp. It wasn’t until she remembered that eighty to ninety percent of the tribe had gone to attack the Centaurs, did she realize why there wasn’t more noise.

“Good morning,” Velasca said as she exited her hut. “Xena?”

“She’s still with us. She slept the night, but I’m worried about her.”

“It’s understandable.” Velasca obviously had something on her mind.

“Is everything all right?” Gabrielle asked.

“Last night, after you fell asleep, we had a meeting with the sisters still in camp. And there are those, myself included, who fear that once Alti has been returned to her body, she will take out her anger on us. Almost half voted to kill the body that holds Xena after you have left.”

Gabrielle suddenly felt fearful, and angry at the news.

“And you?” she said sharply. “How did you vote?”

“I am the queen, I do not vote. But I do have to listen to the concerns and the fears of my tribe. And if they feel strongly enough about something then I have to take that into consideration when rendering a final decision. But if I go against the majority of the tribe’s wishes, I will be challenged for the right to lead these women.”

“But the comb Artemis gave you....”

“She said Ephiny would not go against me, she said nothing about a challenge from another.”

Gabrielle nodded knowingly. “You have discovered the promises of the gods cannot be taken at face value.”

Gabrielle took a breath. “So now what? Are we to take Xena with us?”

“No, I will make sure nothing happens to her. I can only trust that Artemis will protect us if Alti should seek to do us harm. But you should know, somehow the Centaurs realized this forest is no longer protected by the magic of Alti and there is fighting all around us. You may have to battle your way to escape.”

“Then right after we have eaten breakfast we will leave.”

“One more thing. I have to admit when Artemis gave you her weapons I felt – slighted, and jealous that she would so adorn you after visiting our camp this one time.”

“I understand. But you have to understand this has to do with saving Hercules’ life, not showing favoritism to me. And if Xena hadn’t been involved then I’m sure she would have found someone else.”

“You are right. Eat the meal while it is hot. I will gather what traveling food we have left for you and – for him.”

Velasca left, but Gabrielle could tell she wasn’t entirely okay with it.

The sun was halfway to midday before Gabrielle and Autolycus were able to leave. They were given food for road – smoked venison and rabbit, and several water skins. They also found the requested scabbard long enough for the sword, which Gabrielle strapped to her back to keep it out of the way until needed.

Velasca tried to tell Gabrielle the locations of possible safe paths to avoid the battles raging between her Amazons and the Centaurs. But Gabrielle knew there was the chance she would have to use the sword and shield before they were safely far enough away.

The trip from the Amazon camp through the thickest part of the forest was mostly uneventful. Gabrielle knew there were Amazon archers in the trees but she never saw any of them. But as the trees thinned out, in the distance on both sides, she could hear the sounds of battles raging – screams of anger and of pain, the clanging of swords, and the smell of smoke designed to rise up into the trees to make it hard for the Amazons to breathe or see.

Then ahead of them were two Centaurs wielding swords, blocking their way. And there were men riding on them with bows and arrows. Gabrielle changed course to try to avoid them, but when she realized they would be able to cut her off, she told Autolycus to hold on even tighter around her waist. She then put the reins in her mouth so she could use the shield with her left hand and the sword with her right.

Several arrows flew at them but they were easily deflected. The Centaurs flanked her, then got close enough to try to kill her and Autolycus. From the left, she blocked the sword with the shield, and when the Centaur on her right got close enough to strike out at her, the Sword effortlessly broke the blade, and beheaded the Centaur in one stroke. The horse had no trouble outdistancing the remaining Centaur. But still the archers, one from the Centaurs’ back and one on the ground, shot as many arrows as possible.

Gabrielle felt her horse stumble, then caught its footing as they rode on for a quarter of the day until Gabrielle  spotted a small stand of trees in the distance – a place to hide and to rest. It was then that she realized an arrow had found its mark. Just behind the saddle the head of it was buried two fingers’ width into the muscle. Gabrielle carefully removed it then washed the wound.

“We’ll rest here for a while then move on,” she told Autolycus. “But we need to find a village, hopefully near some woods, before dusk.”

“And then I suppose I’ll do my job,” Autolycus said. “The obvious reason why you wanted me along – to find the frankincense and a pure white ram.”

“Yes, that is your job. Just like my job, for right now, is to protect you. But that’s not the only reason. As much as I hate to admit it, you are reasonably good company, sometimes.”

Gabrielle took a drink from a water skin then handed it to Autolycus, who unsuccessfully tried to hide a slightly irritating grin.

“So just how hard do you think it will be to find what we need?” Gabrielle said to change the subject.

“Depends on the size of the village. Considering that frankincense has to come all the way from the Arabian Peninsula, East Africa or India, let’s hope it is a fairly large village with traders and peddlers who visit from the coast. The ram, I couldn’t say. Pure white ones aren’t very common.”

“Well if we can get even one of them now, that would help. But I worry about traveling too long without knowing if we’re going in the right direction. For all we know we should be going south or north or east instead of west.”

After time while Gabrielle decided they should push on until just before sunset. The horse seemed to suffer no ill effects from the wound, and they made good time, traveling at a full gallop for the remainder of the day.

They eventually came to a village, skirted it, and found refuge in the woods that surrounded three sides of it, with a stream that fed the town. After making camp Autolycus decided the best time to enter would be late afternoon just before the shop owners and merchants would be putting away their wares for the night. That way he could get an idea of who had what they needed.

“Be careful,” Gabrielle told him, touching his arm as he left for the village.

“Always am,” he replied. “Always am.”

 

                                       Chapter Ten

                                      Locating ‘Xena’

After Autolycus left, Gabrielle led the horse farther into the woods, then cut brush and stacked it waist high to form a circle around a decent campsite, then lit a small fire so she wouldn’t have to sit in the dark while she waited. She knew the horse would warn her if anyone approached. Close to midnight she heard her horse stirring, and she silently drew the Sword from its scabbard, ready. Whoever it was didn’t know much about being stealthy – she could hear sticks being stepped on and broken, and someone bumping into trees with a resounding “OW!”

“Autolycus,” she said barely above a whisper. “Is that you?”

There was no answer.

“Autolycus!” she then said louder.

“Gabrielle?” was the reply. “Where are you?”

“Just follow my voice.”

Soon the King of Thieves found his way to the camp, and tripped over one of the logs Gabrielle had surrounded the area with.

“Are you all right?” she asked.

“Of course,” he replied, trying to keep his dignity.

“Did you get anything?”

“I found the frankincense, that was easy. I hope it will be enough. You never said how much you needed.”

“Well, neither did Artemis. What about the ram?”

“Actually, I found two of them. But it will have to be tomorrow before I can get one of them. They are being guarded by a very ugly, and very mean, and very BIG dog.”

“But you can do it?”

“I should be insulted,” he replied. “But, yes I can. It will just take a little planning.”

Gabrielle offered him some of the smoked meat Velasca had given them. While he ate,
Gabrielle inspected the clay jar of frankincense oil – smelling it, and feeling its silkiness.

After he had eaten, Autolycus noticed Gabrielle had leaned the Sword against the log she was sitting on. Even with the light of the campfire he could see it faintly glowed.

“Do you think Artemis would mind if I picked it up, played around with is some?”

Gabrielle shrugged. “I don’t know. Only one way to find out.”

Autolycus reached out to take the Sword by the hilt but when his fingers barely touched it a strong spark jumped from the handle to his hand, and he was thrown backward twice his height to land hard on his back.

“Autolycus!” Gabrielle exclaimed, running to him. “Are you all right?”

Autolycus groaned as he tried to move. He groaned once more as Gabrielle got him to sit up.

“I guess she minded after all,” he managed to say. “But I don’t understand. More than once I’ve been bumped by the shield and nothing happened.”

“Maybe it was because I was holding it. Or you weren’t trying to hold it.”

Gabrielle tried to get him to stand, but after another groan, he said, “How about if I just sleep here tonight?”

“Sure, I’ll bring you a blanket.”

The next morning Autolycus seemed to be back to his old self. He decided to go back into town right after breakfast to see about getting the ram.

“You know,” Gabrielle said before he left, “if you could somehow get enough dinars, maybe you could just buy one of them.”

“Probably not a bad idea. So what are you going to do all day?”

“I need to see how far these woods go. All of this won’t be much good to us unless we can see the horizon to know when sunset is.”

With that, Autolycus set off toward the village and Gabrielle headed away from it. Half the day later Gabrielle was back at the campsite. Autolycus had yet to return. Not long afterward she heard her horse neigh, then noises in the woods – footsteps, dried limbs being broken, muted voices. Then four men came into view – hunters, travelers, or outlaws.

“Hello, there,” one of them said, as they all looked around. “Out here all by yourself?”

“No, not by myself. My – husband is due back at any moment. And he’s not one to welcome strangers. If I had food I would share, but we only have enough for ourselves.”

“That’s a mighty fine horse you have there. And some pretty fancy weaponry. Kinda odd, a slip of a girl like you would have something like that. I think you stole them, and
I think it’s our duty to return them to their proper owners, right boys?”

The others laughed in agreement, but as one reached for the Shield, he was thrown backward from a small lightning bolt. The same happened to the one who started to grab the Sword. Gabrielle just sat on the log, watching and waiting. The one who went after the horse was knocked to his feet when the horse reared up and kicked him in the chest.

“Are you boys sure you want to do that?” Gabrielle asked, barely suppressing a smile.

The only one who was unharmed, but was very superstitious, started running back into the forest, with the others limping not far behind him.

“That was easy,” Autolycus said as he walked into the camp, leading a pure white ram by a rope around its neck.

“Didn’t want to kill them if I didn’t have to. And I see you found our ram. Did you steal it?”

“Didn’t have to. But it did cost me 90 dinars.”

“Ninety dinars! Are you joking?”

“Nope. The owner wanted a hundred for the other one.”

“Where did you get 90 dinars?”

“Oh, just made the rounds of all the taverns in town. Lifted one or two purses here and there. Actually I did them a favor. The ones I got the purses from were way too drunk. They probably would thank me in the morning for not letting them get any drunker than they already were. So, how about you? Find a suitable place for the sacrifice?”

“I did. These woods end about a quarter-day’s walk from here. I found some stones and built the altar. So I think we need to move out and be ready when sundown comes.”

As promised, the forest ended, and the altar Gabrielle had built was waiting for them. The going was slower because of the ram but they still arrived in plenty of time. Gabrielle lit the altar fire, small at first, and a fed it a steady supply of twigs and small limbs.

“How big should the fire be?” Autolycus asked.

“I have no idea. Not too small I would guess.”

“Is the altar big enough?”

“I used all the stones I could find.”

After their camp was set up, they only had to wait for sunset. Eventually it came. The frankincense was poured into a shallow bowl, and just as the sun touched the horizon Gabrielle slit the ram’s throat and allowed only enough blood to equal the amount of frankincense in the bowl. She hurriedly mixed it and, at what she hoped was the right moment, Gabrielle poured the liquid on the fire.

And as the aromatic steam and smoke rose to the heavens, Gabrielle said: “Hear me, Helios, the All-seeing Sun God. I humbly offer this sacrifice in your name that you might find it worthy enough to grant me the answer to my question.”

After a few moments Gabrielle repeated herself. She was halfway through a third recitation when the steam began to brighten to the point of being almost too intense to look at. Next was a deep, almost booming voice. But whether she actually heard it, or it was in her head, Gabrielle couldn’t tell.

“Your offering is acceptable. I know of your quest, and your question. You seek to find the woman warrior you call Xena. She is four days from you, riding southwest toward the village of Arethousa, where she seeks out Hercules. And despite driving her horse unmercifully, if you allow the steed provided by Artemis to travel at his speed, you will catch her while she is still three days from the village.”

The steam still rising from the fire seemed to spread out, enveloping Gabrielle, Autolycus and the ram with a brightness that caused both Gabrielle and Autolycus to cover their eyes to keep from being blinded. Moments later it was gone, as was the ram.

“Did you hear that?” Gabrielle asked excitedly. “Did you hear it?”

“Oh, yeah, I heard,” Autolycus replied. “And I have to say, I’m not a big fan of messages from the gods. Uh, what happen to the ram?”

“I suspect Helios added it to his celestial flock. Anyway, tomorrow morning at first light we ride.”

 

                                      Chapter Eleven

                                      Battling 'Xena'

Despite knowing the next few days were going to be hard ones – trying to catch up to Xena, Gabrielle found it hard to sleep. And well before sunrise she making preparations for the journey – making sure the water skins were full, eating more of the smoked meat to sustain her during the day. Autolycus, however had no trouble sleeping the night away. But finally not being able to stand it anymore, Gabrielle woke him up.

"Is it time go?" he asked, sleepily cracking one eye. "Where's the sun?"

"It will be up soon. I want to be ready to go just as soon as it's light."

"Okay," he replied reluctantly, and stumbled his way into the woods to relieve himself.

After he returned Gabrielle gave him breakfast and then refilled the water skin after he had drunk his fill. But even in the light of the campfire, he could tell there was something on her mind.

"Okay, spill. What is it?"

"I was just thinking," Gabrielle began. "You've done so much for me, and for Xena, but the next few days are going to be tough ones – riding hard all day with only one or two stops. And once we catch up to Xena there will be danger, a lot of danger, and you could be injured, or killed."

"Are you trying to get rid of me? Is it something I've done, or not done."

"No, it's not like that. I just – I just don't want anything to happen to you. I've grown rather fond of you and I'd hate to be responsible for...."

"I understand. But if you leave me here, in the middle of nowhere, just where am I supposed to go? Maybe if I had a horse, but I don't. And to tell you the truth, I don't even know which direction I should go, except where you're going – to Arethousa. So like it or not, where you go, I go. And when we finally catch up to her, you can drop me off a safe distance away and you can do what you have to do."

"Okay. Okay then. I see the sun is close to rising, and the horse is starting to get ready, so let's mount up and when he's ready we can go."

Once the sun peered over the horizon Gabrielle used her heels to start the horse galloping, headed southwest as far as she could determine, then let the horse run or gallop as he would. They stopped for a short break at midday then continued on, stopping earlier in the late afternoon than Gabrielle wanted, but she knew there had to be grass and water for the night. The next day was a repeat of the previous one.

On the third day they began to pass donkey carts and peddlers on foot, all going to Arethousa. It was just past midday when Gabrielle saw in the distance a lone rider, riding hard and raising a cloud of dust. As if it knew, the horse increased its speed and it wasn't long before Gabrielle could tell without a doubt it was 'Xena.'

Despite her hope to catch up to 'Xena' without her knowing about it, it wasn't to be. Gabrielle saw her look back, then her hand went to her hip and her arm threw something. Of course it was the Chakram. Gabrielle lost it in the sun, but could hear its familiar singing. At the last moment she caught sight of it and barely had time to use the shield to block it, otherwise she would have been beheaded. Gabrielle not only heard but felt the Chakram as it bounced off the shield; the force of it almost knocked her from the saddle.

"Okay!" Autolycus shouted out. "This is where I get off!"

Gabrielle slowed the horse to half speed, which was good enough for him and he pushed himself backward off the horse to land hard and roll on the ground. Gabrielle immediately kicked her heels into the horses flanks and it took off, no longer burdened by the weight of Autolycus.

She was gaining again, and again 'Xena' threw the Chakram, but this time Gabrielle was ready for it, and just before it hit, Gabrielle leaned forward in the saddle, hanging onto the saddle horn with her right hand and put the shield between the front of the horse and the Chakram, thrown to try to cripple it. As the Chakram returned to 'Xena', Gabrielle urged the horse to an even faster pace.

Even though 'Xena' looked back a few times, rather than throw the Chakram again, she continued to urge the horse to run faster, but slowly and gradually Gabrielle caught up to her. And coming up on 'Xena's' right side she used the shield to try to knock her off the horse; in her haste to escape from the Amazon camp, Xena only had taken the Chakram as a weapon. Twice Gabrielle swung the flat of the shield to hit her, but both times she was able to stay in the saddle.

Then in desperation, Gabrielle brought her right foot up to the saddle, then used it to launch herself at 'Xena', wrapping both arms around her and they both fell hard to the ground, rolling away from each other, both stunned and barely moving.

Long moments later both women slowly recovered almost at the same time, but with 'Xena' coming to her feet first while Gabrielle was still on her knees. 'Xena' brought up the Chakram to strike a killing blow, but Gabrielle moved the shield to momentarily blind her with the sun's reflection, and at the same time pulled the Sword from its scabbard.

As Gabrielle came to her feet, they both circled each other, looking for an advantage. Then 'Xena' slowly went to one knee, putting her left hand to the ground, and slowly a sword began to take shape in the sand. When it was fully formed, 'Xena' came to her feet and swung it in a wide arc, forcing Gabrielle to block it with her Sword, but when she did, the sword turned back to sand and Gabrielle was pelted with what felt like hundreds of stinging needles. She barely was able to turn her head to keep the sand particles from blinding her.

But as she turned back to 'Xena', a foot slid between the Shield and Sword, catching Gabrielle in the face, knocking her onto her back. In desperation, she swung the Sword wildly several times in front of her, keeping 'Xena' at a distance. Then keeping her eyes on her, Gabrielle made it to her feet, well aware that blood was running from her nose, over her lips and was dripping off her chin.

Again, they circled each other, carefully.

"You know you can't defeat me," 'Xena' said with a confident sneer. "I don't care what kind of new toys you seemed to have picked up."

"New toys from a goddess," Gabrielle retorted. "From the goddess Artemis to be exact."

There was a slight uncertain look on 'Xena's' face, then she hurled the Chakram high in the sky and when Gabrielle's attention was momentarily distracted, she attacked, trying to overwhelm her with her size and speed. But Gabrielle back stepped several paces and swung the Sword threateningly, knowing she couldn't risk fatally wounding 'Xena', not if she wanted to return her soul to her own body.

'Xena' made more threatening gestures, but not really attacking, just waiting. From two different places, Gabrielle could hear high-pitched singing – the Chakram has split in two, each on its separate course. 'Xena' waited, an evil smile on her face, knowing in just a few moments one or both of the two halves of the Chakram would take out Gabrielle. But if they didn't, she would be so distracted trying to avoid them, 'Xena' would have a clear shot at her.

Gabrielle heard rather than saw the one on her left, and was able to block it with the shield, but the force of the impact knocked her to her right and she almost lost her balance. But as she sidestepped to keep from falling she saw the second half glint in the sun was just in time used the sword to block it, but not being fully ready for it, the half Chakram hit the sword and the sword sliced Gabrielle's forehead just above her right eye.

When she tried to wipe the blood away with her sword hand, 'Xena' was there with a solid kick to Gabrielle's chest, knocking her to the ground. She fell flat on her back, arms wide. From the force of the landing, she lost her grip on the Sword, and it landed too far from her to recover it before 'Xena' could get to it.

And with a cry of triumph, 'Xena' ran to the Sword to pick it up. But as she had witnessed twice before, Gabrielle saw the small lightning bolt crackle from the Sword to 'Xena's' hand, and she was thrown backward to land hard enough on her back to knock her senseless. Releasing the Shield, Gabrielle ran to the prostrate 'Xena', the dagger in hand. She knelt down to the semiconscious 'Xena' and using the dagger, cut open the front of the peasant blouse she had dressed 'Xena's' body in, exposing the magically-healed wound from Odin's Spear. There was still a small pucker, and it was there that Gabrielle put the tip of the dagger, watching for 'Xena' to open her eyes.

And when they did open, Gabrielle saw they were black, and she plunged the dagger to the hilt. 'Xena' screamed out in pain, and tried to buck Gabrielle off her, but Gabrielle had her left forearm across 'Xena's' chest, her right leg across 'Xena's' legs, holding her down as best she could.

For what seemed an eternity to her, Gabrielle suffered through 'Xena' pulling her hair and punching her in the face and body, trying to get her off. But slowly 'Xena's' strength left her and her arms fell to the ground. And when Gabrielle saw her eyes turn from black to blue, she immediately pulled the dagger out, not noticing that the wound healed itself; her eyes were only on Xena's.

 

                                      Chapter Twelve

                                      Real Live Xena

Xena’s head lifted up to look around, trying to figure out where she was. Then looking up at Gabrielle, she tried to say something but her voice was too low to hear, so Gabrielle put her ear closer to Xena’s mouth.

“L-life,” Xena whispered. “K-kiss of Life.”

Gabrielle softly put her lips to Xena’s in a gentle kiss as Xena’s hand went to back of her head to pull her closer and to hold her there. Together they shared the loving kisses they both missed, and they both needed.

When their lips finally parted, Gabrielle said softly with a smile on her face,
“Faker. Vixen.”

Xena smiled back as her, then said in a gravelly voice, “This isn’t the Amazon camp.”

“No, it isn’t,” Gabrielle said as she helped Xena sit up.

“Did I dream it, or did Velasca tell me you were going after Alti in my body?” Xena’s voice was stronger.

“It wasn’t a dream.”

“And Ares and Artemis showed up?”

“They did. And Artemis gave me her, or a, magic Sword and Shield to fight her, you; her in your body.”

Just then Autolycus came running up. “Did it work? Is she back?”

“I’m back,” Xena said, her strength coming back to her as she stood up. And as she did, her arms went around Autolycus in a grateful hug.

“Thank you for letting me use your body.”

“Not that I had a real choice in the matter,” he replied, not particularly upset.

“And thanks for coming along. Why did you come along?”

“How about if I explain everything on the way to Arethousa?” Gabrielle asked. “We’ve still got a ways to go, on foot, apparently, and it’s a long story.”

“Hey what happened to the horses?” Autolycus asked.

The horse ‘Xena’ had ridden was lying dead on the ground. And the one Gabrielle and Autolycus had been riding was back to an ordinary workhorse.

“I would imagine Alti’s horse died from overexertion. No doubt she kept it alive with her magic.”

“But the horse we were riding, shouldn’t it be dead too?”

“Well, I suspect Artemis’s magic is a bit more powerful than Alti’s,” Gabrielle said.
“And I see her Sword and Shield are gone, so I guess she has them back.”

The three of them turned toward the southwest to resume their journey to Arethousa; as they did, the horse began to follow them.

“Uh, what are we going to do with him?” Autolycus asked.

“I don’t know,” Gabrielle answered. “Just let him follow us, I guess. Unless you want to ride him back to the Amazons.”

“I don’t think I want to do that. They didn’t seem particularly happy I was there.”

“So we’ll take him with us,” Xena said. “We can always sell him.”

“So,” Xena continued, “You were going to tell me what happened after you two took off after my body.”

“That’s right,” Gabrielle said. “Well, to start at the beginning, Ares showed up, but was forbidden by Hera to help us out, but apparently she didn’t say that Artemis couldn’t....”

For a quarter of the day Gabrielle and Autolycus went over the events that had brought them here; the only interruptions were questions from Xena. The last interruption was when they came to a river they had to cross.

“I don’t know about you,” Gabrielle said, “but I think I, and my clothes, could use a good bath.”

“Right there with you,” Xena agreed.

They both removed their boots, tied the leather laces together, hung them over the saddle horn, waded in up to their waists, then went swimming under the water. When they surfaced, they both had a handful of mud, which they used to scrub the dirt and blood from each other’s hair. They went back under several times to rinse.

“How do I look?” Gabrielle asked.

“Gorgeous,” Xena replied moving close enough to press her lips to Gabrielle’s.

As she did, Gabrielle’s hands opened the blouse she had cut from neck to waist and began gently fondling Xena’s breasts. Their kisses became more passionate, but then both realized with Autolycus as an audience, this was neither the time nor the place. And with a final kiss, they dove under the water.

When they came up for air halfway across, Gabrielle yelled to Autolycus, “ Are you coming or not?”

He hesitated, looking left and right, hoping to find a narrower place to cross, but not seeing one, he took his boots off, got on the horse and rode into the river. After swimming the rest of the way, Gabrielle and Xena waited patiently for them. The river was just shallow enough that the horse only had to swim a short way before he made it to the other shore, but the slope was steeper and the horse floundered just enough that Autolycus was thrown into the water. And after a few moments, he was able to wade to dry land.

“Can’t swim?” Xena asked as he tried shaking the water off himself.

“Can, don’t like it,” was the reply.

After putting their boots back on, the three of them continued on as Gabrielle continued the story.

It was just before sunset when they, and several peddlers, entered the outskirts of Arethousa. Along the way, Autolycus bought Xena a new blouse with one of the few coins he still had.

“So, where would Hercules be?” Gabrielle wondered.

“Considering it’s about supper time, I’d start checking the taverns and inns,” Xena suggested. “He still has to eat.”

After a quick look in several disreputable looking saloons, they came to an inn with a crowd outside, as if no one dared to go inside.

“What’s going on?” Xena asked one of the men on the outer edge of the crowd.

“Not sure. Somebody’s in there.”

“And?”

“We think he might be a warlord or – or worse.”

“What could be worse than a warlord?” Gabrielle asked.

When he didn’t answer, Xena shook him by his shirt.

“I don’t know,” he said. “All I know is when he went inside he said he wanted to be alone and everybody cleared out.”

“Do you think it’s him?” Gabrielle asked Xena.

“One way to find out,” she replied as she forced her way through, with Gabrielle and Autolycus following after.

He was seated at the last table on a bench with his back to the rest of the tavern, as if daring anyone to attack him.

“You’re in my seat,” Xena said, using one of her ‘tough’ voices.

“Find another one,” the man said gruffly.

“Move, or I’ll move you,” she said.

At first he didn’t move, then slowly turned to face them. And when he saw Xena standing there, apparently alive, Hercules stood up, jaw dropped.

“What’s going on? You can’t be Xena. I saw her die.”

“You should know,” Xena said in a normal tone of voice, “that reports of my death have been somewhat exaggerated.”

“Hey, there,” Gabrielle said, pushing her way past Xena. “Remember me?”

Hercules’ face lit up as Gabrielle went to him and they hugged.

“So, how’ve you been?” she asked.

But his attention once more centered on Xena.

“Is she really alive? How can that be?”

“Believe it or not, but you can thank your stepmother for that.”

“What? Hera brought you back?” He was now talking to Xena.

“In a roundabout way.”

“Hi, there Big Fella,” Autolycus broke in, his right hand out, and not wanting to be left out. “Autolycus is the name.”

“I once knew a man named Autolycus,” Hercules said, ignoring the proffered hand, and looking Autolycus up and down with a disagreeable look on his face. “Pig farmer, and a liar, and a thief. Was always covered in filth.”

“Can’t recall ever farming any pigs,” Autolycus answered back good naturedly as he dropped his hand.

Hercules shook his head slightly, then turned back to Xena and Gabrielle. “Care to join me for supper?”

“Thought you’d never ask,” Xena said, then yelled for the barmaid to bring them whatever it was Hercules was eating as they all sat down at the table. And to bring plenty of ale.

“Now,” Hercules said. “Tell me how my stepmother was responsible for bringing you back to life.”

“How about you tell it?” Xena said to Gabrielle. “You’re better at telling stories than I am.”

So, during the meal, and well past it, Gabrielle once again related the events of the past days, with small clarifications from Autolycus, and an occasional question from Hercules. Before she had finished the entire tavern was filled with everyone able to get in, all of them hanging on every word.

“So, what about the Amazons and their war with the Centaurs?” Hercules asked when Gabrielle had finished.

“That is something I’d like to find out about. But Artemis told Velasca that Ephiny had trained them to be able to stand toe to toe with the Spartans, so I have a feeling they came out the victors.”

“And this Alti?”

“That is something I want to find out about,” Xena said. “And if she is still alive in that worn out, decrepit body of hers, then I will gladly end her; put her out of everyone’s misery.”

“When are you planning on leaving?”

“First light tomorrow morning. And considering the long, and hard day Gabrielle and I had today, I think we’re both ready to hit the sack. Gabrielle?”

“Oh yeah, more than ready.” There was a bit of a gleam in her eye.

“What about you?” Xena asked Autolycus. “Care to head back to Amazon land?”

“Well, you know, I think I might stick around here for a while. I kind of like the looks of this town.”

“Suit yourself. Hercules? Up for a little journey?”

“I think so. I’ve been holed up here long enough. And I certainly wouldn’t mind the company.”

“Good enough, we’ll see you in the morning.” Turning to the inn keeper she asked, “Any rooms available? Cheap?”

“Oh yes,” he replied brightly. “Top of the stairs to your right, the best in the house. And no charge.”

“Are you sure? We do have a few coins.”

“Quite sure. I could give you the room for free for the next year and still make money – you three have done wonders for this place.”

“Okay. Then thanks.”

Xena and Gabrielle both gave Autolycus farewell hugs and words of appreciation then headed toward the stairs. As they did, the keen-eyed King of Thieves couldn’t help but notice Hercules’ eyes never left the retreating Xena. As soon as they had climbed the stairs, Hercules turned back to Autolycus.

“So Xena was inside you. What was that like?”

“Very strange, my friend, very strange. It was like I had two sets of memories – mine and hers.”

“That must have been confusing.”

“It was, sometimes. But mostly her and my memories were so different it wasn’t that bad. And before you ask, she did have some very interesting thoughts about you.”

“Oh?”

“Oh yes. You made quite an impression on her. And from the look on your face it appears  she did the same to you.”

When Hercules didn’t answer, Autolycus went on. “She’s a heck of a woman – gorgeous, powerful, smart. Did I mention how beautiful she is? Quite a catch for the right man. You know what I mean?”

“I know. To be honest, I never expected to see her again, at least not in this lifetime.”

“Quite a surprise, I’m sure. I have a feeling you’ve been mourning for her, am I right?”

“You are. And I had to admit, given the choice, rather than honor her memory, I’d much rather have the real live Xena.”

                                      The End

 

 Bard's Page

Back to the Academy