A Year In Tartarus

By

Daviderl

daviderl31@yahoo.com

 

Xena and Gabrielle suffer through their worst year together with near fatal wounds, illness, drought, blizzard, fire, flood, death, and separation.

Part 1


Part Two

 

Chapter Eight

Not knowing they themselves were being chased, the two soldiers thought they would have an easy time of it when they caught up to the fleeing women and children. Gabrielle swung her spear in a half circle, hitting the lagging warrior alongside his head, knocking him to the ground. Before he could regain his feet, she stabbed him in the upper belly, just below the sternum. And not waiting for him to die, she ran on after the leading soldier, leaving the spear in the fallen man.

Just before she caught up to him, he had decapitated an old woman who had fallen behind. Gabrielle swiftly removed her right sai from the leather loops around her ankle and threw it at him, hitting him just to the left of his lower back. As he stumbled, she pounced on him, and stabbed him in the heart through his back with her other sai.

Then taking time only to get both sais, Gabrielle followed the group until they made it to the cave. Before she let any of them enter, Gabrielle went in first, making sure no wolves or other wild animals were using it for their home. It was empty.

Gabrielle herded them to the very back of the cave, made sure they were settled, then positioned herself at the mouth, ready to defend it if necessary. Sometimes she could hear, or thought she could hear, voices, possibly from solders loo king for them. But no one came. As the day moved toward evening, an occasional gust of wind would bring the smell of smoke to them. Gabrielle worried that a forest fire was nearby, but there was none.

The next morning, everyone was ready to return to their village. They were all thirsty, and hungry, and worried about the fate of their husbands, brothers, and fathers. But Gabrielle insisted they remain a little longer, at least until midday. Just as they left the cave, preparing to return, the storm broke, pelting them with hard, cold rain. Gabrielle hustled them all back into the cave after they had drunk their fill using cupped hands as drinking cups.

All afternoon the storm raged with frequent lightning strikes and earsplitting thunder. And without warning, a deluge of ground water flooded the forest in front of the cave. The water rose to the level of the mouth of the cave. The cave sloped downward from the entrance, causing the rear of it to fill with water knee deep.

Sometime in the night, the rain stopped and the water subsided. As they left the cave the next morning, they encountered their first shock – everywhere was strewn body parts of animals, and the torsos, arms, legs and heads that once were whole persons. Mothers tried to shield their children from the sight, but they were everywhere.

The group had no choice but to return to their village. But there was nothing to return to. Except for a few boot and footprints, there was nothing to indicate there had ever been anything, or anyone, there. The anguish of the total destruction of their town returned them to the shock that had gradually lessened. Where were the shops? Where were their homes? And where were the men – fathers and husbands and brothers?

And most importantly, to Gabrielle, where was Xena? And where was her pendant?

“We have relatives in Lexatavar. We should go there.” One woman told Gabrielle.

“I don't know where that is.” Gabrielle replied.

“It is a two day's walk north of the small cabin near the stream that dries up each summer.”

“You mean the town that dams the river?”

“Yes!” The woman exclaimed excitedly. “You can take us there?”

“I suppose I can. I want to stop at the cabin anyway to see if my friend is waiting for me there.”

But the only thing at the cabin was the bloody remains of some animal that had been attacked and eaten by wolves.

~~~~~~~~~~

Two and a half days later the hungry and exhausted villagers arrived at Lexatavar. They were quickly greeted by some of the men they had been hoping would be waiting for them.

“We saw the smoke from the fires,” they were told. “Some of us thought it was a volcano erupting. And then that terrible storm! We've never experienced anything like that --- ever!”

After they were fed and comforted, Gabrielle sought out one of the men she recognized from the village.

“My friend, Xena, have you seen her?”

“I haven't. But maybe if you ask around someone might have.”

It took several tries but she finally talked to someone who seemed to be the last one who had seen her.

“I remember her fightin' off a half dozen of them bastards at one time. I never seen such fury in a woman!”

“But happened to her after the fighting?”

“Don't know. She was making sure everyone was getting' away from the fire. She even ran back into it a couple of times, draggin' out the wounded. I saw her run back in, but don't recall her ever comin' out. Sure hope she made it out okay.”

“But that's just the problem – no one knows if she did or not.”

“Then more'n likely, she didn't. I'm sorry if she didn't make it. But if she was burned up, it was ‘cause she was bein' a hero.”

Gabrielle bit her lip, trying not to cry, but her tears couldn't be stopped. The man put a sympathetic hand on her shoulder.

“I'm sorry,” was all he could think of to say, then he turned away to check on his wife and two daughters.

“No!” Gabrielle said with a conviction she didn't feel. “Xena's NOT dead! She can't be! There's no way she'd let herself be trapped in that fire. No way in Tartarus!”

But there was no one to comfort her, or to agree with her. There was just no one there for her.

Gabrielle spent two more days in Lexatavar, then told them she had to be leaving. It was time for her to go home. And because of her and Xena's heroic actions, the man who had bought her horse and saddle returned them to her. It was the only reward any of them had for her, other than providing her with food and water for her trip.

Chapter Nine

Although she wasn't counting, it took Gabrielle nine days to reach the forest where her Amazon tribe lived. Even though her mind was on Xena's disappearance (she still refused to believe she was dead), she was beginning to feel at home as she began to recognize the trees and clearings and the streams.

It wasn't long before the anticipated arrow landed in front of her, shot from the trees, and barring her path. Gabrielle immediately clasped her hands over her head, indicating she had come in peace. And just as quickly ten Amazons descended to the ground on ropes but with weapons ready.

As she looked around at them, Gabrielle realized she didn't recognize anyone. And their clothes were unfamiliar, as well. She surmised that another tribe had joined with hers and they were assigned to guard the perimeter of the camp. But she did notice that they seemed almost hostile, and not cautious.

“Hi.” Gabrielle said as the obvious leader swaggered up to her, looking her up and down, and frowning at her sais. “I'm Gabrielle. I don't think I know you.”

When there was no reaction, she added. “You know, Queen Gabrielle?”

“So you say.” The leader answered. “I don't know you. You could be anyone. You could be a spy for all we know.”

“And just who would I be spying for?”

“Don't get smart-mouthed with me!”

“Look, I understand you don't recognize me. I don't recognize any of you. So why don't you just take me to Varia and we'll get everything straightened out.”

“Varia's dead.”

“What!” Gabrielle exclaimed. “How?”

“She died from a fever a few months ago,” replied the woman standing next to the leader, and was rewarded by a backhand across the mouth.

“I'll do the talking here!”

The woman nodded her head and slightly backed away.

“Then who's the new queen?” Gabrielle asked.

“Marorca, but she's started calling herself Ephiny. Don't know where that stupid name came from.”

“From one of the greatest Amazon queens that ever lived!” Gabrielle shot back. “You should know that!”

“Tie her hands.” The leader said. “If she gives you any trouble, shoot her.”

“Several bows with arrows ready were pointed at her so Gabrielle had no choice but to let her hands be tied behind her. She expected her sais to be taken, but they weren't. As they entered the outskirts of the camp, Gabrielle still saw no familiar faces. But as they got to the center of it, one, then two, then almost half of the women went to their knees, heads bowed.

“My Queen.” They said as the procession passed.

‘At last,' Gabrielle thought to herself. ‘Familiar faces.'

The un-named leader frowned even more, if that was possible. She didn't like what was going on.They stopped at the Queen Ephiny's hut, waiting for her to come out. When she finally did, someone grabbed Gabrielle by the hair and forced her head down, making her bow.

Gabrielle kicked out with her right foot against the knee of the woman who had grabbed her, who fell to the ground holding the injured knee. Gabrielle's head snapped back up and she stared at this new queen with all the authority she could.

“So you're calling yourself Ephiny? I just hope you can live up to that name.”

“Release her.” Ephiny said. “My sincerest apologies, My Queen. As you can see, we have many new women in our tribe now. And even though your name is legend, so many of them have never seen you, including Canova, here.”

Gabrielle looked over to the one who had ordered her to be tied.

“A natural mistake … I suppose.” But her tone was cool.

Canova nodded slightly, acknowledging Gabrielle's forgiveness, but it was obvious she was not happy with Gabrielle being there.

“As to your statement about me being worthy of the name,” Ephiny continued. “I chose it so that I would always strive to be the best queen I could possibly be. And should the day come that I realize that I cannot, then I will take back my original name, which was Marorca. But enough of me. I'm sure you must be tired and hungry.”

“Actually, I am, but I would love a good bath before I ate.”

“Of course, anything you wish. Obviously, I surrender my authority to you. Even my hut is yours.”

“Perhaps we can share it.” Gabrielle said. “I'd like to hear more about what's been going on since I last visited.”

 

Chapter Ten

“Things have been in a constant turmoil since Varia died. Just before she was taken from us, we decided to adopt the remnants of a tribe that had been captured and were on a slave ship bound for Rome. Of course, being Amazons, they were able to free themselves and make their way to Greece. Unfortunately, most of the older, and wiser, of them had been killed.”

“I thought they all looked rather young.”

“Yes, they are. And being young, they are impatient and hotheaded. They follow Canova. She isn't that well liked, but she is big, strong, and strong-willed, and so they will do pretty much everything she tells them.”

“She is a powerfully built woman, that's for sure. You will have your problems with her.”

“I know. I have a feeling it won't be too long before she will be challenging me as leader and queen.”

“So, how did Varia die? I heard something about a fever?”

“Yes. It was totally unexpected. One evening she said she wasn't feeling well and retired early. The next day she said she thought she felt better, but was running a slight fever. That afternoon it was the same – she decided to return to her hut even before dark. When she didn't appear the next morning, I entered her hut and found her. She had died sometime in the night.”

“You were next in line as leader?”

Ephiny nodded, noticeably subdued at the memory.

“You were close to her?”

Ephiny nodded, and barely above a whisper said, “We … sometimes shared … each other.”

She glanced at Gabrielle to see what her reaction was.

Although her face was unreadable, Gabrielle said softly, “If you made her happy, then I'm glad.”

Ephiny let a small smile come to her lips, then she was serious again.

“As I recall, you once had a companion, yourself -- Xena? You two have parted ways?”

Now it was Gabrielle's turn to be subdued.

“We were fighting an army of warriors in a small village west of here. They set fire to the village as I was leading the women, children and old men to safety. It was completely burned to the ground and many died. Then there was a great storm and small flood that washed everything away. After that, no one seemed to know what happened to her. No one had seen her.”

“She died in the fire?”

Gabrielle was silent for a moment, then said with a trembling voice. “I … I guess. I think she must have. She … I ….”

Gabrielle's head was bowed and the tears she was unconsciously holding back finally burst forth in a torrent. Ephiny held Gabrielle close as her body shook with agony, and tears poured from her eyes in response to her indescribable grief. Ephiny also began to weep for her own lost love.

It was at that time that Canova entered the hut unannounced, expecting to be reprimanded for her impertinence. She certainly didn't expect to see both queens crying and holding onto each other. She had been standing in front of the door of the hut on the pretext of making sure they were not disturbed. But she was there only to listen in on their conversation. What she heard she knew she could, in some way, use to her advantage.

Fortunately for her neither woman knew she was there, and Canova slowly backed out of the hut, an unpleasant and contemptible smile on her face. She saw weakness and vulnerability.

‘Now is the time!' she thought to herself. ‘I will be queen before tomorrow's sunset!'

It was well past sundown when Ephiny and Gabrielle released each other and Ephiny lit a torch. Both women were silent, not wanting any sound to break the bond of sorrow they had formed. After both drank from the water skin, relieved themselves, and washed their faces, Ephiny was preparing a pallet for herself on the floor at the foot of the bed.

“There's room for both of us.” Gabrielle said quietly as she lay down on the bed, making room beside her.

Ephiny smiled hesitantly, doused the torch, and lay down next to Gabrielle, her heart beating as it had done so many times when she was lying next to Varia.

The next morning Gabrielle was instantly awake as she felt Ephiny stretch, then sit up and put her feet on the floor. Gabrielle sat up as Ephiny found the water skin. Both women avoided each other's eyes, neither sure of the other's feelings, and they dressed in silence. Ephiny left the hut first, with Gabrielle not far behind her. When she got outside, the sun was well on its way to midmorning. Neither had realized how late they slept. But what captured Gabrielle's attention was the crowd of women circling the common area in front of Ephiny's hut. And standing in the middle by herself was Canova.

“What's going on?” Gabrielle asked Ephiny.

“A challenge.” She answered.

“YOU!” Canova said loudly, pointing at Gabrielle, “I challenge you, Queen Gabrielle, to combat for leadership of this tribe of Amazon women!”

Gabrielle, confused, was momentarily speechless. She then realized she had to accept the challenge or leave in disgrace, and forever be without her title. But being the challenged, she had to right to chose the weapon, the time, and the place of combat.

“Very well, I accept your challenge. And I choose the Amazon battle staff. The combat will take place at midday at this common area.”

Canova turned away from Gabrielle and her followers opened a path for her to leave. Over her shoulder, she said, “I will return at midday.”

“Can you take her?” Ephiny asked.

“I think so.” Gabrielle answered, not letting her uncertainty sound in her voice. “And if I can't, then it will be up to you to issue your own challenge. A woman like that can't be allowed to lead these women.”

“This came much sooner than I expected.” Ephiny said. “And I thought I'd be the one she'd challenge.”

“Maybe she thinks I'll be the easier opponent.”

Chapter Eleven

It was midday and once again the women crowded around the common area. Gabrielle had selected a pair of staffs of equal length and weight. Canova pushed her way through and immediately chose her staff. And with little fanfare, the contest began.

Canova pressed her attack relentlessly, but Gabrielle's defense was equal to the task. Knowing that Canova was stronger than she was, Gabrielle's strategy was to let Canova tire herself out, letting her expend her energy until she made her first mistake. But Canova was no fool. After she realized how expert Gabrielle was with the staff, she slowed her pacing, looking for a vulnerability or weakness. She never found one.

As Gabrielle began to go on the offensive, Canova found herself backing away more than she advanced. It was beginning to look as if Gabrielle was going to win. So Canova changed her line of attack. They momentarily parted, each catching her breath and deciding her best next move.

Canova stopped as if she was about to concede, then said, “I understand you ran like a coward and left your precious Xena to burn to death in battle.”

The accusation, and the mention of Xena's name momentarily stunned Gabrielle.

“What?” she asked, as if she hadn't heard correctly. And without hesitation, Canova slammed the end of her staff down on Gabrielle's left hand, breaking bones, and knocking the staff out of her right hand and to the ground. Before Gabrielle could recover, Canova swung her staff in a complete circle, hitting Gabrielle in the head just above her left ear. Gabrielle was unconscious before she hit the ground.

“Gabrielle!” Ephiny yelled out as she ran to her.

Kneeling down, Ephiny lifted Gabrielle's bloody head, hoping she was still alive. But Gabrielle was tough and her eyes fluttered open, trying to focus them despite the throbbing pain in her head. Canova watched the two with a smug, satisfied look on her face. Then with a purposeful stride, Canova walked over to them.

“Hey.” She said. And as Ephiny looked up, Canova used the end of her staff to hammer Ephiny in the middle of her forehead.

Ephiny fell backward to the ground, and as she did, Canova used her staff as she would an ax, and cracked Ephiny's right knee with it, coming down hard enough to permanently disable her. A queen must be able to answer all challenges to her crown. And a queen who couldn't stand, couldn't fight. Then turning back to Gabrielle, Canova decided to put a permanent end to her. She didn't crave another contest with her. She raised her staff for the killing blow when three arrows whizzed down into the ground in front of her. Looking up she saw six of the older, original members of the tribe with bows and more arrows aimed at her.

“Enough!” One of the Amazons said. Gabrielle looked up at her, recognizing her but upset that she couldn't remember her name.

“You have defeated them.” She went on. “It is not the Amazon way to deliberately murder a challenger!”

“Look around you.” Canova said confidently. “You are outnumbered.”

As they did, they saw twice as many of Canova's followers had their own weapons trained on them just as theirs were aimed at Canova.

“I just see a stand-off.” She said. “If anyone dies, you will be the first.”

There was only silence. No one knew what the next move should be.

“Have you all lost your minds!” Gabrielle was on her feet, blood running down her cheek, her broken left hand forgotten.

“What in Tartarus has gotten into you people? You're all acting like a bunch of backstabbing, treacherous, murderous MEN! Is THIS what you want? To be MEN?”

Gabrielle was full of anger and rage as she continued.

“What happened to the bond of sisterhood? Where are the loyalty and devotion and commitment to the Amazon nation? What have you DONE to yourselves?”

By now even the most loyal of Canova's band had lowered their weapons, as had the rest of them. They had been shamed and disgraced. Gabrielle ran out of words and went to see about Ephiny. Several joined with her to help her stand.

“Take her to her hut.” Gabrielle said. “Tend to her wounds.”

“You can't give orders here.” Canova said, recovering from the tirade that surprised even her. “I am queen now.”

Gabrielle gave her a dirty look the said, “Then maybe it's time you acted like one.” And entered the hut that was no longer Ephiny's.

After Ephiny's leg was bandaged and a splint put on it, and her own hand was wrapped, Gabrielle and Ephiny were left alone.

“I'm sorry.” Gabrielle confessed. “If I hadn't let her distract me I could have beaten her.”

“It's not your fault.” Ephiny said. “She found your weak spot. It's the way she is.”

“But how did she know about Xena, and the fire?”

“She must have been listening, or had someone eavesdropping on us and reported back to her.”

“Well, like it or not, she's queen now. And I have a feeling I won't be around too much longer.”

“You don't think she'll try to kill you, do you?”

“No. But I'm betting she'll have me banished. Ephiny, it's going to be up to you after I leave . . . .”

No, I'm not Ephiny anymore. I'm not the queen. I'm just plain Marorca again.”

“Well, whoever you are, you are going to have to challenge her after your leg has healed up. You or someone you know you can trust to be queen.”

“Somehow, I don't think she'll be without her challengers. Now I understand why your name is legend among our people. You are an amazing woman. You're the queen we should have had all along.”

“I'm nothing special, just someone trying to do the right thing.”

“But you are special. You proved that last night, and again today.”

There was an awkward silence, which was broken by Canova swaggering into the hut.

“This is MINE now! Both of you are trespassing. I want you out, NOW!”

Gabrielle helped Marorca to her feet and with her arm around her waist and Marorca's arm around her shoulder, they left the hut. The two of them walked to the hut that had formerly been Canova's. It would be Marorca's now. Gabrielle stayed with Marorca until the next morning.

“I should be going anyway. My sister and niece are still twelve day's ride away. Maybe things will be a little more peaceful on their farm. But I'll be come back someday. Sooner than you realize.”

“Take care, My Queen.”

Gabrielle mounted up and rode into the rising sun. There were tears in both their eyes.

Chapter Twelve

 

Xena rode slowly away from the destroyed village. She was in no hurry to tell either the Amazons or Lila about Gabrielle's death. It wouldn't make their lives any better. One day ran into the next. She would ride until dusk, make camp, eat if she felt hungry, and then sleep holding Gabrielle's pendant close to her heart. The next morning she would carefully place it into her leather pouch, making sure it was secure, and then ride on until dusk.

On the evening of the eighth day a stranger approached her campfire. Such was her inattentiveness that she only became aware of him when Argo neighed a warning. But it only took a heartbeat for her to draw her sword.

“Please,” the man said as he approached into the light. “I mean you no harm.”

“What do you want?” Xena asked suspiciously as she looked him up and down. Although he carried a short sword, his clothes told her that he was a tradesman, or perhaps a farmer or field hand.

“Your help. You're the Xena, the Warrior Princess, aren't you?”

“Maybe. Why are you looking for her?”

“Our village has been attacked time and again by a terribly brutal and cruel army of warriors. It has been all we can do to make it from one day to the next. They come at night and they kill everyone they can find – men, women, even our children.”

As he described them, Xena wondered if this army was the same one who attacked the village, and killed Gabrielle. Their method of assault was different, but maybe their strategy was designed to keep their target villages, and the defenders, off balance.

“Where is your town?” Xena asked, now becoming more curious, and angry. If this WAS the same army of cowards . . . .

“Southeast of here, six, maybe seven days' on horseback. Longer on foot.”

“You had a horse?”

The man nodded.

“Until two days ago. He came up lame and I had to continue on foot.”

“How did you find me?”

“I guess I was just lucky. I was told to find help, any help I could. I wasn't looking just for you. But when I saw you out here, alone, I knew of no other woman who would be so brave.”

“I'd like to help you, but I have something else I need to do. Maybe afterward, in a month or so . . . .”

“Please! You MUST help us. They are murdering our children – our CHILDREN!”

Xena took a tired breath. Helping them wasn't what she wanted to do, but she knew it was what she had to do. If Gabrielle were here she would tell her it was the right thing. Xena looked down at the pendant clutched in her left hand. She took another, long, tired breath.

“All right. Tomorrow morning we leave for your village, at first light.”

The man gushed his thanks and praise for her.

“Save it.” She told him. “It's getting late and morning comes early. You can sleep there, on the other side of the fire.”

Xena tossed him a thin, worn out blanket while she kept the good one for herself. She fell asleep quicker than she thought she would. And she slept later than she wanted. The sun was already up when she woke up. After sharing a hunk of hard cheese and dried venison for breakfast, Xena allowed the man, whose name she didn't bother to ask, to ride behind her on Argo, and they proceeded southeast toward his village.

The next day they found the man's saddle and meager food supplies where he had hidden them in the crotch of an oak tree. The horse was nowhere to be seen. Four more days brought them to the village, Athinius. The first things he pointed out to Xena were the graves of those killed by the attacking warriors. Many of them were less than half the length of the adult graves; they were the children's.

~~~~~~~~~~

“The first thing you need to do is to build some kind of wall that can be protected at night.”

Xena was talking to the few village elders that were still alive.

“And traps,” she continued. “Dig pits with sharp stakes pointing up. String rope across the paths that will release heavy, spiked logs that will swing into the enemy. And even farther out, place copper and tin pots partially filled with gravel to spill out onto flat pans to act as an early warning alarm. Get this done while I examine your cache of weapons.”

“But that will take many days! What if they attack before we are ready?”

“Then we'll fight them off. Trust me, as long as I'm here, they won't be able to make a sneak attack, day or night. Now if you really want my help, then I suggest you get started.”

With little prodding by the elders, the men went to work, digging the pits, chopping down larger trees to make the logs, cutting down smaller ones for the walls, and climbing others to tie off the ropes.

“You're short on arrows. They are your best long distance weapons. Even if you can't see the attackers, if you shoot enough of them some of the arrows will find a mark.”

“You will need to make a map of the location of the pits and all the other traps so our men won't be caught in them.” Artemis, one of the elders, told her.

“Why would they need to go outside the wall?”

“So we can stage our own attack. When we think we can do so with few casualties we raid them also.”

That confession didn't set well with Xena. She'd prefer they concentrated on pure defense. But then, maybe an occasional strike might keep the enemy from thinking they were invincible.

“Get everything done first.” She replied. “Then if I'm satisfied, we'll see about some planning a few raids.”

Chapter Thirteen

Gabrielle's homecoming wasn't quite what she had expected. Lila was happy to see her, but Sarah had married and moved to another town. And the farm was showing serious signs of neglect. The most that Lila was able to do was keep a small garden for herself, a few chickens and a couple of goats. There were no horses or cows. The larger fields were overgrown with weeds. The barn door was lying on the ground next to the opening and the rats had taken over the interior.

Lila had learned not to be too nosy, so she waited until the morning after Gabrielle had arrived to ask about Xena. While explaining the circumstances of Xena's death, Gabrielle continually had to reference back to something that had happened before. So she began almost a year before, starting with her birthday and the sliver pendant with the blue crystal Xena had given her. She ended her story in tears, and despite Lila's “maybes” Gabrielle was now absolutely convinced that Xena was dead.

“. . . And the only thing I have left of her is what I've written in my scrolls.”

“And her memory.” Lila reminded her.

Gabrielle gave Lila a sad smile. “And speaking of my scrolls, I think I'd like to read them again.”

“Sure. I'll get them for you.”

Lila returned with a large leather pouch. But after she handed it to Gabrielle, she just sat there, holding the pouch to her breast as if it were Xena. After a while she slowly untied the leather straps holding the flap closed, and gently took them out one by one and laid them on the table.

“I wish I had numbered them,” Gabrielle said to herself, Lila was all but forgotten. “It would be nice to start at the very beginning.”

“You can still do that.” Lila replied, but Gabrielle never heard her.

Gabrielle sat up almost all night, unrolling then one at a time and reading them out loud, but not so loud that she kept Lila awake when she decided to go to bed. As she drifted off she could still hear Gabrielle occasionally laugh, or comment to herself after she finished each story. The next morning Lila found Gabrielle asleep with her head on the kitchen table. A quill and bottle of ink were next to her. She had taken Lila's unheard suggestion and had numbered them as best she could remember the correct order.

“Gabrielle.” Lila said as she shook her sister's shoulder. “Wake up.”

Gabrielle's head jerked up with a start. For a moment she forgot where she was. After all the stories about Xena, she had been dreaming they were lying next to a camp fire, snuggled close together under their sleeping furs to keep warm on a particularly cold night. As she washed her face to fully wake up, she began to feel guilty, and ashamed, that she had so quickly turned to another so soon after Xena's death. And she found that she had become uncomfortable at the thought of touching her scrolls now, there was so much of Xena in them.

“Lila, will you put the scrolls away for me?”

To try to keep from thinking so much, Gabrielle busied herself working outside. And despite the throbbing ache in her left hand, she cleaned out the barn, repaired the barn door hinges and rehung it, weeded the garden, and prepared the soil to double the size of it. By dusk, she was thoroughly exhausted, her left hand aching to the point she was almost in tears. Lila gave Gabrielle a goblet of wine to help with the pain. But it took a second before it seemed to ease off. And right after supper, she bathed and went right to bed.

Every day for the next half month, Gabrielle worked the farm from sunup to sundown, stopping only to eat and to sleep. She was determined to keep busy, determined to push the memory of Ephiny, and their two nights together out of her mind. She would often play a game with herself. She would tell herself that Xena was off somewhere, taking care of some warlord and his army, and just as soon as she was finished, she'd come to Poteidaia to get Gabrielle and they'd leave; just as soon as Xena came.

`````````````````````````````````````

“Gabrielle, I think it's time for a break.”

“A break? What kind of break?”

“From all this farm work. You've been working like a Roman slave day after day after day. And you've got me almost as worn-out as you are.”

“I'm fine, really. There's just so much left to do. . . .”

“Well, it's just going to have to wait, because tomorrow you and I are going into the Poteidaia to do some shopping, some bartering, and we're going to eat something other than what I've cooked.”

“But, Lila . . . .”

“No buts. It won't hurt you to take one day off to rest and have some fun. My mind's made up.”

Gabrielle made several more feeble protests, but deep down inside, she realized she did need to get away for a while, even for a day.

After an early morning breakfast, while Lila was gathering up some things to barter with, Gabrielle decided to take her sais. It was the first time she had worn them since her arrival. By midmorning the two sisters were walking through Poteidaia's open-air market. They had traded some goat cheese and fresh greens from the garden for salt, flour, a new frying pan, and a small loaf of nut bread. Lila spent one of her very few dinars for lunch for the both of them, and they were eating the nut bread for dessert when they heard a small disturbance not far from where they were resting in the shade of a tree.

“What's going on?” Gabrielle asked one of the potters, who was selling jars and bowls.

“Some stranger trying to get volunteers to go with him to fight with his village against some other village. He's been hanging around for two or three days pestering anybody who looks like they can fight.”

“He must be pretty desperate to come to a strange town.” Gabrielle commented.

“Who knows?” the potter said, then turned to greet a browsing customer, hoping to make a sale.

“Let's go see what he has to say.” Gabrielle said to Lila, and left to without waiting for her reply.

Lila caught up to Gabrielle as she found the man. His clothes told her that he was probably a farmer, and a poor one at that.

“Hi,” she said to him. “I understand you're looking for men to go to your village to fight.”

The man looked Gabrielle up and down, curious about the sais nestled against her lower legs, but then dismissed her as just another useless woman. As she turned away from her, Gabrielle grabbed the man's shoulder and turned him back to her. He was surprised at her strength.

“I asked you a question.” She said, a little irritated. “The least you could do is give me a civil answer.”

“Yeah, I'm looking for fighters, warriors, whatever, to help our village defend itself against the murderous fiends that attack at night, killing whoever they can – men, women, children.”

“They're killing children?” Gabrielle was horrified.

“I said they were. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to keep looking. I've been away from my people much too long as it is.”

“Maybe there's something I could do to help.”

“We don't need no more cooks or house cleaners or gardeners. We need warriors.”

“Well, it just so happens you're talking to one of the fiercest warriors you'll ever meet.” Lila said.

“Her?” The man asked, trying not to laugh. “A warrior?”

“Exactly. This is Gabrielle, Queen of the Amazons, and longtime companion of Xena, the Warrior Princess.”

The man looked at Gabrielle with renewed interest.

“You're really her?”

“I am.”

“Do you know of anyone who is any better trained in combat than an Amazon, and trained by Xena on top of that?” Lila added.

“Can't say that I do. That Xena wouldn't happen to be around anywhere, would she? Two of you would really help out.”

“No.” Gabrielle replied, trying to keep her voice from breaking. “She's … not around.”

“Then, I guess my search is over. When can you leave?”

“I never said I was going to leave to help your village, I was just curious.”

The man looked at Lila, confused. “Then why the big build-up if she's not going?”

“Will you excuse us a moment?” Lila asked the man. And without waiting for a reply, took Gabrielle by her arm and led her several steps away.

“Why did you give him the impression that I was going with him?” Gabrielle asked.

“Because that's what you do. You help people who are in need, remember?”

“Lila, I came home to stay, to work the farm and to be with you.”

“Gabrielle, you came home because it was a refuge. You had no place else to go. But now you do. You're not happy working that farm. You never were never cut out for that kind of life. That's why you left when Xena came along.”

“But there's still so much to do.”

“And I can manage. As I recall, in one of your scrolls didn't Xena say something about the Greater Good? Surely saving the children of that village is more important than toiling from sunup to sundown on the farm. Isn't it?”

Gabrielle nodded, feeling guilty knowing she would be leaving Lila, again.

“Then it's all settled.”

Lila looked to the man and said, “If you'll follow us to our farm, Gabrielle can get her things and I can supply you with some food for the trip.”

Chapter Fourteen

When Gabrielle and Gomar, the man who had recruited her, arrived at his village, called Anasis, there was bedlam and rage. The previous night they had been attacked and there were six casualties, including two children. Gabrielle was appalled and angered at such a barbaric attack. She began to inspect their inadequate defenses and soon started issuing orders.

“There are only a handful of paths through these woods they can use. Tie ropes shin high across the paths. I saw brambles on the way in. Cut them down and put them just past the tripping ropes. That way when they fall, they'll land face and chest first into them.”

“How will that help?”

“No one can get a face full of briars without crying out. It will give your archers a target. Even if you can't see them you can shoot at their screams. And farther back, tie pieces of metal, maybe frying pans onto ropes so they will bang together when they pass. This will warn us when they are coming.”

As the villagers were following Gabrielle's instructions, more bad news came. One of the young men who had been sent to spy on the enemy had heard something that wasn't good.

“I couldn't get too close, but I overheard two of their soldiers talking. They have hired a warlord, I think that's what they said, to help them. I didn't catch his name, but from the way they talked, he must be one really brutal animal. He had them digging pits with spikes in them, and setting up spiked logs to swing from the trees. And he was training them in unconventional attack methods.”

“Yes, we know. We were attacked only last night.”

“So, that's the kind of war they want,” Gabrielle was angry all over again. “Then we'll give them a taste of their own medicine. Instead of stringing pots and pans, start digging pits. We'll let their screams of pain warn us they're coming.”

That evening Gabrielle conferred with the local magistrate and the elders, trying to find out all she could about the townspeople of Athinius -- their strengths, number of men available to fight, and how long it took for them to travel through the forest from Athinius to Anasis. The next morning after she was satisfied the work was going as she wanted it, she told them that she wanted to see the fortifications of Athinius for herself.

“But they have traps set everywhere, once you get close to the village you'll never know which step is safe and which one isn't.”

“Then I won't stay on the ground. I'll travel like the Amazons do, through the treetops. I should be back before dusk.”

And without another word, Gabrielle headed off in the direction of the enemy village.

~~~~~~~~~~

“Xena, we have just gotten word that those murderous pigs of Anasis have just recently brought in some kind of mercenary to aid them in their war against us.”

“Any idea who it is?”

“No. My scout was unable to get too close. He just heard some of the workers talking as they were setting traps. It was someone they never heard of.”

“Interesting. Maybe I should look into this. I'll be back before sunset.”

“Do you want some of us to go with you?”

“No. I can travel faster and quieter alone. Just keep everyone working on the fortifications and making more arrows.”

Xena swiftly disappeared into the dense forest, carefully threading her way past the pits and precisely placed ropes designed to release the heavy logs with their deadly spikes.

~~~~~~~~~~

Gabrielle was about halfway into the forest when she decided it was time to take to the trees. And using a rope with a hook on one end, she threw it over an overhead limb and quickly climb up into the lower canopy. As she traveled closer to Athinius, she began to notice the subtle differences in the leaf cover on the ground, indicating the location of the pits. A deer had fallen into one and she could see the signs of its struggle to get out before it died. And from her view from above she easily made out the ropes and logs.

Then she saw something moving furtively. No, not something but someone. Whoever it was knew how to move through the forest, staying just off the path, making it difficult for Gabrielle to see clearly. After watching for a while, Gabrielle decided just where to drop from the trees to maximize the surprise. If she couldn't take him prisoner, he would have to die.

Xena easily moved through the underbrush, senses alert in case spies from Anasis were in the area.Then she stopped. There was something there, somewhere. Xena let her ears and nose scrutinize the surrounding area. Slowly and quietly, she drew her sword from its scabbard.

Gabrielle watched as her intended prey stopped next to the very tree she was looking down from, still unable to make him out. She tied the rope onto a limb then silently descended to the ground on the other side of the tree.

Xena raised her sword, ready to fend off … something, whatever it was that she knew was there. Without warning, Gabrielle stepped out from behind the tree, her sais ready to strike. And unexpectedly, blue eyes were staring into green. For several heartbeats neither moved, stunned and shocked.

Together, both said, “You're dead!”

“No I'm not!” Again, spoken in unison.

Gabrielle's sais and Xena's sword fell to the ground as they came together, their arms around the other, holding on so tightly neither could breathe. They backed away, but their hands were touching and stroking the other's face and hair, not believing the other was standing there. Xena's hands pulled Gabrielle's face to hers as Gabrielle echoed the action, and their lips met in an eruption of joy and passion. Over and over, between the kisses, each whispered the other's name.

Then, without realizing it, but with practiced hands, Gabrielle released the clasps of Xena's breastplate as Xena began unlacing Gabrielle's top. Slowly, they let themselves sink to the forest floor. Each caressed and kissed and licked the other in those places they intimately knew. They were more familiar with each other's bodies than their own. Time and again each brought the other to the brink of ecstasy, only to pause, both wanted the lovemaking to last forever. And then simultaneously, each brought the other to completion, the forest swallowing up their moans of release and euphoria.

Panting and bathed with each other's sweat and scent, Xena and Gabrielle lay together, oblivious of the world around them. Even as the passion subsided, neither could keep from touching and caressing the other, still not believing they were together again.

“I thought you were dead.” Xena finally said.

“Why would think that?” Gabrielle asked.

“I found your pendant in the hand of one of the bodies. I thought it was you. I was going to take you back to Poteidaia for burial, until the storm washed everything away.”

“It was one of the soldiers. He ripped it from me as we fought. After I killed him I had to chase after two more. I had intended to go back after it, but nothing was left after the flood waters subsided.”

“And you thought I was dead?”

“You were gone. The last anyone saw of you was when you ran back into the fire. I went to the cabin to see if you were there, but you weren't.”

“I went there, but thinking you were dead, I didn't stay. I left to go to Poteidaia to give Lila the bad news. But I got side-tracked and ended up going to Athinius.”

Gabrielle sat up, troubled. “Xena, how you can be helping those bloodthirsty killers of women and children? That's not like you.”

“What are you talking about, it's the soldiers of Anasis who are killing the young of Athinius. I've seen the graves.”

“Anasis doesn't have soldiers. They're farmers and merchants, fighting off the attacks of Athinius' warriors. Just last night there was a raid that kill a handful of villagers, including two children.”

“And just before I arrive, Athinius had been attacked by Anasis. There were dead and wounded, including an infant.”

Neither spoke, but were searching each other's eyes, trying to make sense of what was going on.

“Gabrielle, are you thinking what I am?”

“A feud. A blood feud between the two villages.”

“I think it's more than that now. I think it's moved on to revenge warfare.”

“But how could something like this happen? There had to be ten, maybe fifteen graves.”

“There's no telling. Someone was accidentally killed. There was retaliation, re-retaliation, and it never ends. I suspect they attack at night so they won't have to see the faces, and bodies, of the innocents they kill.”

“So what are we going to do?” Gabrielle asked, acknowledging Xena's more knowledgeable experience.

By now, both were getting dressed. Their long separation was forgotten as they considered the problem at hand.

“Well, the way I see it, we don't have many options. We can just ride away and let them continue to slaughter each other. Or we try to broker a peace between them.”

“Neither one sounds much like a satisfactory solution. But what if we convince them that a warlord with a huge army is approaching and the only way to defeat him is for them to band together against the common enemy?”

“No, the villages are too far apart, and they'd probably hope that the other would be attacked first. But … what if we told them that the other village had brought in an outside army?”

“That would work! My village thinks you are a warlord. They would believe it if I told them you had fifteen or twenty hardened warriors with you.”

“And, the only way to protect each village would be to make sure their defenses were strong enough to repel the armies. We could have them erect walls within walls, dig trenches, whatever it will take.”

“And that way, they both would be protected from each other.”

They were together again, their thoughts flowing along the same paths as if they had never been apart.

“And afterward, we ride away, leaving them to their destiny.” Xena concluded.

“We need a time and place to meet up. What about on the road to Poteidaia? Lila thinks you're dead. She'll want to know you're all right. You remember where the big rock partially blocks the stream, next to the fallen oak?”

“I know it well. I'll meet you there, say in five days?”

“Let's make in four. I don't know if I can wait longer than that.”

“Four days it is.” Xena agreed. “Oh, before I forget.”

Xena took the pendant from her pouch and started to hand it to Gabrielle.

“This is yours.”

“Why don't you hang onto it a little longer? I might have a little trouble explaining where I got it way out here in the woods.”

They hesitated, neither wanting to leave. Then they were holding each other again, sharing joyous and loving kisses.

“I love you, Xena.”

“No more than I love you. Now, up into the trees with you. We've both got work to do.”

With a final kiss, they parted, happier than they had been in too long a time.

Chapter Fifteen

Xena was waiting, had been waiting for a half a day, when Gabrielle rode up. Without hesitation, they were in each other's arms, letting passion take over until their thirst for each other was temporarily quenched. They dressed, mounted up and proceeded to Lila's farm.

“What did you tell them?” Xena asked.

“That I was going to find warriors and soldiers to bring back. You?”

“The same. With the plans I laid out for them, they will be building and digging at least half a month with no time for raiding.”

“Me too.”

When they stopped to make camp for the evening, Xena, using leather twine, tied the pendant around Gabrielle's neck, kissing the nape of her neck softly, causing chills to run up and down her back. As the night passed, their love for each other was confirmed and reconfirmed over and over. It was well past dawn when they awoke. It would take most of the day before they would reach Lila's farm.

“Before I got sidetracked, I thought about visiting the Amazons to tell them about your death.” Xena said.

“Then you would have ridden into quite a mess.”

“How so?”

“Well, Varia died from a fever.”

“I'm sorry to hear that.”

“Me too. Anyway, there was another queen, called herself Ephiny, who I think was doing a pretty good job, but she was having trouble with a bunch of young, foreign Amazons they had taken into the tribe. One, in particular, named Canova, was causing most of the problems. She was hot-headed and wanted to be queen.”

As the day progressed, Gabrielle told the story as objectively as she could.

“So, that means you're not Queen Gabrielle anymore?”

“I guess not. Fair or not, she won the combat.”

“Well, after we've spent some time with Lila, I think we should pay the Amazons a visit. And I think you should challenge her again. It doesn't sound like her kind of leadership is good for the tribe.”

Gabrielle smiled. “I was hoping you'd say that.”

They arrived shortly before sunset. Lila was inside making stew for her evening meal when she heard Gabrielle shouting to her.

“Lila! I'm back! And I've brought someone for supper!”

Lila's surprise was only a little less than Gabrielle's when she saw Xena was alive and well, and she rushed to give her a welcoming hug.

“But how? I thought you said she was dead?”

“I know! I did! But let's go inside. We can tell you all about it over supper.”

“. . . And so, here we are.” Gabrielle concluded.

“Well, that's quite a story.” Lila commented. “It will take more than just a few scrolls to write that one down.”

“You know, I had never even thought about that.” Gabrielle said. “But now that you mention it, that's exactly what I should do. Tomorrow we'll go into town for some new scrolls.”

“It's getting late, and I know you two must be worn out after traveling all day. Why don't you and Xena take the big room, with the big bed, and I'll sleep in Sarah's old room. The one you and I used to share.”

“Are you sure?” Gabrielle asked. “Xena and I don't mind sleeping in a small bed.” And she gave Xena a sly grin.

Lila chuckled. “No, you two take the big bed. You may want to stretch out. I'll see you in the morning.”

Lila went into the bedroom and closed the door behind her.

“Ready for bed?” Gabrielle asked, her voice slightly suggestive.

“With you, always.”

As she lay in bed, waiting for sleep, Lila heard the muffled giggles and moans through the wall.

‘I'm glad they're together again.' She thought to herself as she drifted off to sleep. ‘It must be nice to have someone you love lying next to you. Maybe I've been spending too much time by myself. Marcos seems to be interested in me. And his tavern is doing quite well. Maybe tomorrow I'll pay him a visit.'

Xena was awake well before dawn. She decided not to awaken Gabrielle just yet. Instead, she lay still, listening to Gabrielle's breath as she peacefully inhaled and exhaled. And she let her Soulmate's delicious aroma permeate her nostrils, sorting out each smell – her hair, her skin, her breath, and her womanly scent that Xena found so intoxicating.

As light began to filter into the room, Xena carefully, and without waking her, removed the blanket covering Gabrielle, exposing, as far as she was concerned, the most perfect body ever created. There was nothing she would change; not the color of Gabrielle's eyes, nor the color of her lips. Not the size or shape of her gently rising and falling breasts; not the marvelous flatness of her belly; and certainly not the wonderfully desirable dark blond triangle that concealed that most delicious of all her charms. As she gazed at her, Xena's eyes began to moisten, such was her love for Gabrielle.

Despite herself, Xena began to gently caress Gabrielle's smooth and supple skin. Letting her fingertips softly follow every curve and depression, down one side of her body to the insides of her thighs, and then back up again to her face; criss-crossing from side to side, making sure she touched every bit of skin..

Gabrielle breathed deeply as she began to wake up. Both arms went over her head a she stretched. And when she opened her eyes, she was looking into the face of her beloved Xena.

“Wake up, Sleepyhead.” Xena whispered. “It's your birthday.”

Gabrielle frowned, not quite awake yet.

“My birthday? Really?”

Xena smiled. “I don't know, but it's close enough.”

Gabrielle was now more awake. “What? No surprise water in my face?”

“I did that last year. It's no surprise if you're expecting it.”

Gabrielle was now fully awake.

“So I guess there's no birthday present, either?”

“No, not in the strictest sense of the word. This year I want you to give me something.”

Gabrielle's hand went to her pendant.

“You want my necklace?”

“No. I want you to read your scrolls to me. I was going to read them when I got here.”

“Then why don't you? You don't need me to read them to you.”

“Because I want to hear them from you. You're the storyteller. I want to hear the passion in your voice, and watch the expressions on your face, and see the excitement in your eyes. I want to know what you felt when you were writing them.”

Now it was Gabrielle's eyes that began to moisten.

“Have I told you how much I love you?” Gabrielle asked.

“Not this morning, you haven't.”

Gabrielle pulled Xena's face down to hers as they shared the first kiss of the day.

“I love you, my Warrior Princess.”

“You know,” Xena murmured. “There is one thing I want to give you.”

And as she began nuzzling Gabrielle's neck, Gabrielle lay back, her arms over her head, eyes closed as she passively let Xena work her magic on her, knowing how proficient she was when it came to sending her into indescribable rapture. In the next room, Lila was awaked by the very sounds of lovemaking she had fallen asleep to, as the caresses and nibbles and the flicks of Xena's tongue evoked moans and whimpers of pleasure in Gabrielle.

‘Surely they haven't been doing that all night.' Lila thought as she quietly got out of bed.

Silently she dressed, went through the kitchen, grabbing a piece of cheese for breakfast, and went outside to begin her chores. She had a feeling it would be well past mid-morning before they made an appearance.

(never)

The End


**

Return to the Academy