IN A FAR CORNER OF THE RAINFOREST (Book 4)

By

Gabriela Viseur

gabyviseur@yahoo.com.ar

 


Akiko showed her guest around the house, "This is the kitchen where we cook the food... That´s the bedroom, where we sleep... And that´s the bathroom, where we wash and bathe ourselves and also... err... where we relieve ourselves."

"Oh! I see. So, you don´t go to the river to bathe and swim?"

"No, we bathe at home."

"Shame... It is nicer to do it in the free air, enjoying the breeze and the sun."

Akiko thought for a moment and admitted, "Yes. What you say is true. But it is also comfortable to have a bath at home and be clean even if the weather is rainy outside. And when people want to have sun and free air, they can go to the beach, or to the clubs and swim in the pools."

Iviruti reflected and commented, "Strange."

Then the chieftain went to the bedroom and looked at the bed. "So, you sleep on this?"

"Yes"

Iviruti sat on it, tried the mattress, and said approvingly, "Seems very comfortable!"

Akiko smiled, "Glad you like it!"

Then the warrior asked , "And what is that black thing in front of the bed?"

"We call it a television set."

"Television?"

"With this, you can see things that happen in other places, or watch stories, listen to music." She picked up the remote control and turned the television on, "See?"

She changed the channels, and then Iviruti exclaimed, "Oh, look! That is the forest!"

"Ah, yes, that´s the Nat Geo channel. It´s a documentary."

Iviruti was excited, "Oh, so I can see the forest and know what happens in the village?"

Akiko explained, "No, no, this is not the forest of the Kawapore. This is a movie... like the pictures we did with our box, remember?"

"Oh, I thought I would see my people."

Akiko scratched her head, "Well, no, not with the television."

"You mean, we could do it another way?"

"Yes, but the village does not have the necessary things... It takes time.. We cannot do it right now, you know."

The chieftain murmured, "Mmh... I see." Then, she went on, "We have to talk about this later. You have to tell me what we need, and how to do it."

"Yes, it’s better to leave that for later. Now I have to go to get food."

"May I go with you?"

"Yes, of course!"

When they arrived at the supermarket, Akiko had to tell the security people that Iviruti was not used to wearing clothes, since that was the way of her people. Fortunately, everything was resolved and the warrior had her first shopping experience.

She was curious about the vegetables and fruits, and wondered at the great variety and quantity, since she had never seen apples, oranges, peaches, coconuts, mangos or strawberries. However, there was one that she did recognize, "Oh, that´s an ananas... but much bigger than the ones in the forest."

Akiko nodded, "Yes, and a lot sweeter too. You will see."

They walked past the wine and beer section.

"And what is that?"

"Things to drink."

"You don´t want to take them?"

"No, I´d rather not, because you are not used to it. You know, beer and wine are good, but can also make you feel sick..."

"Oh! And then why do people want to drink that if they are going to feel sick?"

"Well, not always. If you drink a little nothing happens, and ... yes, it tastes good, so people like it."

"I´d like to try."

Akiko thought for a moment and finally accepted, "Well, I´ll take a beer. But promise you will drink only a little. You are not used to it, so it is better to be careful."

The warrior nodded, "I promise".

Iviruti was also intrigued by bread, when she saw Akiko buying it, and felt attracted by the colorful packages of cookies and chocolates.

The anthropologist then put a chocolate tablet in her cart and smiled, "We´ll take one of these... You will like it, you´ll see."

While they were waiting at the queue to pay, Iviruti asked, "And now? You brought nothing to give away... how will you take all these things with you?"

Akiko explained, "Actually, we do not trade with things." She showed her sweetheart the credit card, "This is a credit card, and they will be given the value of the things we take. There is no problem"

The chieftain carefully studied the card, "So, with this you can take anything?"

"No, no, there is a limit. But it is enough to have food and the necessary things."
Iviruti scratched her head. "I don´t understand how this... credit card... can be worth food."

Akiko shrugged, "Well, it's pretty complicated but that's how it is here."

Their turn arrived, and the chieftain was intrigued by the sounds of the barcode scanner and the cash register.

At last, they paid and Akiko drove back home.

* * * * *

Akiko and Iviruti arrived home from the supermarket and soon sorted out all the things.

Then the anthropologist announced, "I am going to have a shower."

Iviruti was curious, "A shower?"

"Yes, water falls over you, like rain. It is a quick way to be clean."

"I want to try, too."

"All right, you can go first, then. It is nice, you will see."

"But... I need to learn. I should see how you do it first."

"Oh well, it´s easy, just turn the tap, let the water run and wait until the temperature is as you like."

"And then?"

"You stand under the water and rub yourself with... err... what we call soap."

Iviruti repeated, "Soap?"

"Yes, soap. Come, let me show you."

The chieftain followed her to the bathroom and Akiko handed her a bar. "See? This is the soap."

Iviruti sniffed. "Mm-mm smells like flowers!"

"Yes, it does, and after the shower, you smell good, too."

"I see."

Akiko turned on the shower, "Put your hand in the water and see if you like it so."

The warrior tested the temperature and smiled, "Yes, it is warm. Nice!"

"Good, then. By the way... You have take off everything before washing yourself."

Iviruti entered the bathtub, stood under the shower picked up a bottle and smelled it too, "What is this?"

"That is for the hair. You pour it over your hair and rub it in your scalp to clean it. It´s like the herbs you use in the forest. We use this liquid instead. "

"Oh! Can I use it?"

"Yes, but be careful! Just a little, or it makes a lots of bubbles. Too much makes it hard to remove it completely.

Iviruti stretched out her arm, holding the shampoo bottle," How much? Would you pour it for me, please?

"Lower your head toward me," Akiko said, and poured a little shampoo in her own hand rubbed it on Iviruti´s long black hair. The chieftain closed her eyes, "Mmh! That feels good!"

"Sure! Now let the water wash away the bubbles. I'll get towels so you can dry yourself after the shower."

Iviruti looked at her in disappointment, "Oh, but... aren´t you coming in here with me? I thought you wanted a shower, too."

Akiko said shyly, "Well, in general, people take showers alone."

"But we are not like other people." She paused, looking intently at Akiko, "I love you. You love me."

"Oh, yes, I do, Iviruti, but..."

"What is it? Is it forbidden that two people have a shower together?"

"No, of course not!" She hesitated, "It´s just..." And then, she realized she actually did not have any reasonable objection, "Oh well... yes, I... love you and ... yes... we... swam together in the river." The memories of that passionate and tender moment made her blush.

"Then...come with me."

Iviruti gently held Akiko´s wrist, "No, no, wait, please! I... I have to ... take my clothes off."

The chieftain freed her, "All right then. Don´t take too long!"

Akiko smiled at her beloved, "I´ll be right back."

A moment later, Iviruti looked in awe at the naked body of her sweetheart, "Oh, my love... you are so ...beautiful."

Akiko entered the bathtub and stood with the warrior under the shower, "And you too, Iviruti. You are the most beautiful and wonderful woman I have ever met."

"Really?"

"Yes. Why would I lie to you?"

The warrior embraced her, "Akiko, my dear!"

The anthropologist caressed her soulmate´s broad, strong shoulders and the two melted in a passionate kiss, while the water poured down, following the curves of their bodies.

* * * * *

Later that evening, Akiko and Iviruti were in bed. Still absorbed by the sensations and experiences of the past moments, they rested in each other´s arms in silence.

Finally, Iviruti spoke, "What happens, my dearest? Why do you not say anything? I hope you are happy:"

"Oh, yes, extremely happy! I hope you feel the same."

"Yes, dear, and it makes me even happier that you enjoyed it, too."

Akiko kissed her on the cheek, "Sure I did!"

"Glad to hear that. You know, sometimes you are so silent, so shy, that I do not know how you are feeling."

"I am new to this. I was in a relationship with a man, and then I never imagined I would fall in love with a woman. It was so sudden and strange for me..."

"Among your people, women do not love other women?"

"Yes, it does happen. But many people object to that. They think that the only valid marriage is the union of a man and a woman, and they even say that the love of women for other women is unnatural. The same for men."

Iviruti murmured, "That sounds stupid!"

"I know, but that is how they think."

"Among my people we think different: we are trained to be warriors, and have the right to choose anyone, no matter if we love a man or a woman."

Akiko asked, "So you were not surprised when you found out you were in love with Tiranwari?"

"No. Why should I?"

"There are no obstacles or objections..."

"As I said, we are free to love the one we really want. And I want you!"

Akiko put her hed on the warrior´s shoulder, "And I love you too, Iviruti!"

They remained so for a few moments, and then Akiko asked, "And how did you become a chieftain?"

"My mother, Kavetahy, died when I was a very young girl"

"I´m so sorry to hear that."

"I was so young, I hardly remember her. And then, the leader, Nirekoti, adopted me and brought me up as a warrior and taught me all the duties and responsibilities of a leader."

"And then you inherited her rank."

"Yes, but first I had to prove myself worthy. I had to be out in the forest seven days and seven nights. I would be the leader if I survived."

"Oh! That must have been very hard!"

"But I was well prepared. Nirekoti taught me well. The really dangerous moment was when I was going to fish, and an alligator emerged and attacked me."

"And what did you do?"

"Fortunately, there was a tree nearby, so I got away and climbed it. I was thinking how to scare the alligator, when the Jaguar appeared and forced the reptile back into the water."

"But then you were in danger from the jaguar!," Akiko exclaimed.

"Of course not. It is our Guardian and Protector. When the alligator was gone, it just went away."

"I see.. just as it did when it killed those men who tried to murder me and my colleagues."

Iviruti just nodded in silence.

Akiko pondered this, and then, "It´s strange that we both have been saved by the Jaguar, isn´t it?"

"Maybe not so strange. Maybe this is our destiny. Perhaps a sign to prove we are meant for each other."

* * * * *

Next morning when Akiko awakened, she saw Iviruti sitting up in silence and waiting patiently.

"Good morning, Iviruti."

"And good morning to you, dearest."

The anthropologist got up and put on a negligé. Then she went to the kitchen, measured the coffee, the water and turned on the coffe machine. Next, she put the bread in the electric toaster.

Iviruti watched her with interest, "What are you doing?"

Akiko put a big bowl with fruit on the table, "Preparing our breakfast."

Then she brought cottage cheese, butter and jam from the fridge.

"And what is that?"

"That is what we eat with the toast." Akiko picked up a teaspoon and offered a spoonfull of jam to Iviruti.

"Mmm, good!"

"Glad you like it"

Akiko then squeezed two oranges and served the juice in two glasses.

Iviruti had a sip, "I like it, is fresh and sweet. Nice fruit!" Right that moment, the toast popped out of the machine, and she commented, "Mmh, and that smells very good, too!"

After the juice, they drank the coffee, ate the toast with butter and jam and the fruit.

Akiko then cleared the table and put it the dishes in the dish washer.

"So, things will be cleaning themselves?"

"Well, not exactly... The water and detergent in the machine washes the dishes."

"I had never imagined something like that could exist."

"Well, I am going to dress and then we´ll go to see Senhor De Sousa. He will be waiting for us."

"But aren´t you already dressed?"

"No, I cannot go outside like this. This is just to be worn here at home."

Iviruti pondered this, "Then, what do you think? Should I dress, too?"

"If you wish to do it, of course there is no problem."

"You told me nothing about that."

"I am sorry. I did not want to say anything, because I did not want to force you to do anything you did not want. I did not want to make you change your ways . Now I see it was a mistake, and that I should have talked with you about it. Hope you are not angry with me."

Iviruti looked at her love and sighed, "Oh, well, you know I could never be angry with you."

Akiko smiled at her and went to kiss her on the cheek, "Thank you!". She looked at the chieftain for a moment and scratched her head, "The problem is, I have nothing that will fit you. My clothes are small for you." Then she realized something, "I have a beach dress. It is ample,so it could do."

She went to the room and came back with the dress. "Put it on, please, let´s see how it looks."

Iviruti did as Akiko told her. Akiko looked at her and nodded approvingly, satisfied with the look of her sweetheart. "Yes, that´s right. Good it is strapless and fits with elastics." After a brief silence, she added, "Humm... A bit too colourful and somewhat short, but it will do for now. After the meeting we will go and look for something else."

Then she looked at the warrior´s bare feet and stroked her chin, "You will need shoes, too. Well, we can stop on the way and buy beach sandals. That will fit the dress."

"Beach sandals?", Iviruti asked.

"Yes, Don´t worry! They will be comfortable, you'll see."

They went to the garage and left. Akiko stopped first at a shoe shop so Iviruti could buy the sandals, and then drove to the FUNAI office.

When Iviruti saw the building, she asked, "Here is where Senh. De Sousa lives?"

"No, here we do our work,"

"And what is that?"

"You know, there are many other people living in the forest like the Kawapore. What we do here is to see that everything goes well, that nobody disturbs them, so we all have peace."

The chieftain nodded, "I understand."

Akiko parked the car, they entered the building and went to the office to see Senhor DeSousa.

"Dr. Tsurugawa! Senhora Iviruti! How good to see you!." He invited them with a gesture, "Please come and have a seat."

Then he looked a the two women, "I´ve heard from the police there was trouble in the Kawapore village. This is very serious, and I would like to hear from you what happened."

Akiko and Iviruti told him about the failed attack by Efigênia and her men.

Senhor De Sousa looked worried, "This is terrible!" He turned to Iviruti, "It is very important that the project we presented to make a reserve in the area will make progress in the Congress."

Iviruti hesitated, "Er... I do not understand. A reserve? Congress?"

Akiko explained, "A reserve means that nobody can live there, except the Kawapore, and that nobody can cut trees, and nobody can fish or hunt, except the Kawapore. And the Congress... is where our leaders meet and decide what has to be done. They examine and discuss the issues before choosing the best way to proceed. Then everyone must do as they say."

The chieftain nodded, "I see. Otherwise, the po-lice comes."

Akiko nodded too, and smiled, "Yes, that is right."

Senhor DeSousa continued, "First, we must organize a public meeting with the journalists." He looked at the warrior, "I hope you can deal with that."

"Err... I don´t know. What are... journalists?"

Her lover explained, "They are people who go to a place, ask questions, take notes and pictures, and then tell and show their people what they learned about how other people live."

The chieftain was surprised, "Oh! And they will come to see me?"

Akiko nodded, "Oh, yes! People will like to hear about the Kawapore, and it is important, so our people will support the idea of the reserve."

"I see. Well, sure I think I can do that. Talk to people and answer questions."

"And then, you will both travel to Brasilia to meet the congressmen."

Iviruti agreed, "Good. I will see your leaders."

Senhor De Sousa smiled, "But meanwhile, I hope you enjoy going around our city."

"I already saw the city, with all those big huts over huts. It looks very strange. And we went to the super- market."

The FUNAI employee chuckled gently, "Oh, but you have not seen anything!" He turned to Akiko, "You should take our guest to the opera."

"Opera?", Iviruti asked.

"It´s a place, a great, beautiful place, very decorated, where people go to see how other people tell a story, by singing."

"Singing? Oh, must be nice!"

"And they have the costumes and act as the characters."

"Strange, but must be beautiful." Then she added, "I would like to hear the stories of your people"

Akiko told her enthusiastically, "Oh, yes, it is nice, you will see."

Senhor De Sousa nodded, "And I know you can take care of that."

"Actually, I wanted to ask you to have the rest of the day off. You know, I would like to go with Iviruti to buy clothes for her. And now she will need an elegant dress for the opera."

"Oh, yes, of course! You can go."

"Thank you, Senhor De Sousa." Akiko stood up and turned to the chieftain, "Come, Iviruti, let us go."

Iviruti followed her beloved.

They greeted Senhor DeSousa and he reponded, "See you later. Enjoy yourselves!"

* * * * *

Akiko and Iviruti went to the shopping-center. The chieftain was impressed by the huge space, the shops, people going by, the lights and the stairs.

"So, you get your clothes here? Strange place, but nice" She then noticed the music and the sound of all the people talking, children running and exclaiming in front of the windows of the toy shops, the ringing of cellphones, a mother calling a toddler walking away... a chaotic Babel.  "A bit noisy, too", she added.

Akiko admitted, "Yes, you are right."

Iviruti looked around, "So, where do we go? There are so many things to see!"

"Are you hungry?"

The warrior hesitated, "Now that you mention it, yes."

"Well, let us go to eat something first:"

They went to the restaurant and food section.

Iviruti commented, "Hmmm! Smells good. What can we eat here?"

"Well, you can choose what you want: meat, chicken..."

"What is ... chicken?"

"A kind of bird."

Iviruti nodded, "I see."

"There is also pizza and pasta..."

"And what is that?"

Akiko did not know much how to explain, "It´s a... a kind of a dough... like you do with cassave*, but with other things. It´s good, you will see."

"All right, let us try that."

They ate pizza, and Iviruti liked it a lot, "Hmmm! You were right! This is really good."

Akiko smiled, "Glad you like it!"

After the pizza was finished, the academician suggested, "Would you like something sweet now? We could have an ice cream."

"Ice-cream? I do not know what is that."

"Of course. You must try it!"

"And you think I will like it?"

Akiko smiled and nodded emphatically. "Oh, sure!"

"All right, I will try this... ice-cream."

They ordered the classical cup, with vanilla and chocolate scoops. At first, Iviruti shivered when she felt the cold of the dessert, but then enjoyed, "Oh, this tastes really delicious!"

Akiko smiled, "I said you would like it."

The chieftain nodded, "Ice-cream is very good!"

After they finished their meal, they went to buy underwear and Akiko suggested Iviruti should also wear a bra.

Iviruti put it on and complained, "Oof! And you always wear this? It is so uncomfortable! "

The anthropologist accepted, "Oh well, if you don´t want it, you don´t need to wear it."

Then they went to a clothes shop. They found cotton T-shirts that Iviruti found nice and comfortable, as well as a blouse. Then the attendant offered them jeans, but Iviruti said the cloth was too hard and too tight fitting. At last the warrior chose a skirt and a pair of shorts that fit loosely. "This is nice. Feels soft."

Akiko nodded, "Good, we will take them."

After that they went to another shop, to find an elegant dress for the opera. The problem appeared later, when they wanted to buy elegant shoes, but Iviruti was not used to that and said they hurt her feet. But then, she found an elegant sandal with low heels that she could wear without much trouble.

After that, they drove to Teatro Amazônia to buy the tickets for

the opera

"That is a big, beautiful house."

Akiko smiled, "Yes, and inside it is even more beautiful, you will see."

They bought the tickets and finally drove back home.

*cassave: manioc flour It´s cooked with water and formed into small flat breads.

* * * * *

Akiko and Iviruti were back home after the shopping.

Iviritu went to put her new clothes in the wardrobe, and Akiko called her family in Sao Paulo.

"Hello! It´s me, Akiko! How good to hear you, Mom!" She listened and replied, "No, I arrived yesterday." After a pause, she apologized, "Yes, I know I should have called you earlier, and I am sorry for that, but I had many things to do and to think about. You know, I brought someone with me. Her name is Iviruti." She stopped for a moment to explain, "She´s the leader of the tribe and..." After a moment, she said, "Please Mom, let me tell you and don´t interrupt me. Now I have a duty, I have work to do, and my task is to support the Kawapore and assist Iviruti."

Akiko listened and replied, "Oh, of course I would like to go to Sao Paulo and be with you, but now I can´t tell you when. You know, I will accompany Iviruti to Brasilia... to see the Congressmen, of course! We are working on a project to create a protected area for the Kawapore, so this is a very important meeting."

She listened again and answered, "Tavinho? Yes, I want to see him, too. Marriage? Oh, Mom, please, do not put pressure on me. We are adults, and we have to decide by ourselves."

She exclaimed, "Oh, Dad! How are you? Well, yes, there are many things to talk about and... Oh no, Dad, what we have to discuss cannot be settled with a phone call. I am sorry, but things changed. I cannot discuss this on the phone, it is a long story. Please, let´s end this discussion here, yes...? I promise I will come to see you all as soon as I can. Kisses... I love you! "

Iviruti heard everything, not knowing what to think, "What happened? Your parents were not happy to hear from you?"

"Oh, yes, they were! It´s only... they seem to think I have to talk with Tavinho to fix a date for our marriage."

Iviruti was shocked, "What? But... you... you are not going to do that, are you?

Akiko shook her head, "Of course not! You know that I love you."

"But why didn´t you tell them that?"

"Please, Iviruti, this is a very important decision, something we have to talk about in person. I just cannot simply tell them on the phone that I love you and that I won´t marry Tavinho.
It´s not easy, especially when you have to deal with your parents and go against their wishes."

The warrior sighed, "I suppose you are right

* * * * *

The secretary entered the office and announced, "Att. Barbosa, Commisioner Carvalho is here."

He was surprised, "Oh! A commisioner? Let him in, please!"

When the police officer entered, he greeted him, "Pleased to meet you, Commissioner Carvalho. May I ask what brings you here? "

"Unfortunately, I am here to bring you bad news, Att. Barbosa." He handed out an envelope with official marks. "Your client, Senhora Efigênia Figueira-Gomes, is dead."

The lawyer looked at him with an open mouth, "Oh!" After a moment, now somewhat recovered from the surprise, he asked, "But... How it is possible?"

"She was killed by natives."

"That cannot be!"

"Well, she went with some of her workers and attacked the tribe. They defended themselves."

"And how do you know that? She could have been murdered!"

Commissioner Carvalho replied, "No, she did attack. We have proof of that. You can see that in the notes I brought you."

Att. Barbosa remained silent for a moment and then asked, "So,
what should I do now?"

"You were her lawyer. Now you should take care of her inheritance."

"Oh, of course."

"Did she leave any heirs?"

"Not that I know of. But, as usual in these cases, I have to publish an edict calling any possible heirs."

* * * * *

That afternoon, Akiko got dressed and helped Iviruti to put on her elegant clothes and style her hair to go to the opera.

When they arrived at the opera house, the chieftain admired and deeply appreciated the beauty of the hall and the main room and was also relieved to see that her clothes fitted among the other well-dressed people.

She was curious to hear the musicians rehearsing and tuning their instruments, and Akiko told her they were getting ready to play.

Before the performance started, Akiko briefly explained the plot, and the warrior was confused, "But... how is that possible? That man... Pinkerton, he marries Cio-Cio-san? But he is going back to his land and wants to marry another woman? A Kawapore man would never dare even to think something like that!"

Akiko answered, "Well, among our people it is different. Our society, in older times, was a male-dominated society. Fortunately things have changed and now there is more equality between men and women."

The perplexed Iviruti murmured, "Strange..."

"I know that Pinkerton´s actions were disloyal, but it was possible at that time. America is a land far, very far to the north and Japan is another land very, very far to the east. So they would never know that he had a wife in Japan. By the way, Japan is the land of my ancestors."

"Oh, really?"

"Yes. And I must say that unfortunately, at that time, women had to obey their husbands and men had the right to do anything, even to beat or kill them."

Iviruti was shocked, " Oh, but that`s terrible! Why did the women tolerate that? They should have rebelled!"

"I don´t know why, but be reassured, now Japanese women are independent, they can do whatever they want, marry whoever they want… or not to marry." She chuckled, "In fact, many Japanese men go to look for wives elsewhere, because Japanese women are too picky and not willing to marry quickly."

Iviruti smiled, "Good for them!"

The lights went off and Akiko whispered, "Shh! Now, we must must watch and listen in silence!"

Iviruti enjoyed the beginning and liked the kimonos of the relatives in the wedding scene, but was puzzled by the dialogue of the couple.

When the first act ended the chieftain asked her loved one, "I cannot understand this: he is not willing to keep his word and intends to go to his country and marry another woman, not caring that this young girl really loves him. Yet, he can tell her such sweet words, and she is so gullible to believe him!"

Akiko sighed, "Unfortunately, there are people like that. And when we are in love, it often happens that we believe everything and hear what we want to hear."

Iviruti stared at her, "Did you ever love someone who betrayed you?"

The anthropologist shook her head, "Fortunately, no." She added with a smile, "And I don´t think it will ever happen."

The warrior held her hand and pressed it gently, "Of course!"

After the intermission, the lights went off again and the second act started. As usual, Akiko could not restrain her tears when the soprano sang "Un bel di vedremo..." Iviruti tried to comfort her, putting a hand on her shoulder, but her jaw was tense, and anger could be noticed in her eyes.

By the last act, anger turned into fury, and the warrior could hardly stay in her place. When the opera ended, she saw Akiko applauding and asked her reproachfully, "What? He did something terrible, and you applaud it?"

Akiko explained, "Oh, no! It´s all a story, you know... And the applause is for the tenor...he sang well, he deserves the applause, no matter how much you dislike the character of Pinkerton."

The warrior snarled, "Dislike? I HATE him! He married Kate, brings her with him, takes away Cio-cio-san´s son, and yet, he is such a coward that he escapes and does not have the courage to look the poor girl in the face. And she kills herself by his fault! If I could, I´d like to punch him and teach him a lesson!"

Akiko chuckled, "Oh, please, please, Iviruti! I told you, it´s only a story! And she did not die."

The chieftain stared at her, "Really?"

Right that moment, the soprano appeared on stage to greet the public and received a well-deserved applause.

Akiko said, "You see? She is alive. It was all make-believe, just a story."

Iviruti calmed herself, "Oh, well."

"What you see there on stage, is not real. No need to worry."

The warrior thought for a moment, "Are there other operas, other stories, that end happily?"

"Oh, yes, there are operas that end well! They are called opere buffe ."

Akiko pressed Iviruti´s hand between hers, "I´m sorry that you did not like it, but well, most operas are like that, they end sadly..."

"And people like that? Who can want to see sad stories?"

"Well, it´s difficult to explain, but sad stories can be beautiful, too."

* * * * *

Next morning, Akiko talked with Iviruti, "Now we have to go and meet the journalists. They will ask you questions about the Kawapore and your life in the forest. They will take pictures of you, too."

The chieftain nodded, "Good, there is no problem with that. If they want to know about the Kawapore, I can tell them."

Akiko smiled, "Good.

Iviruti thought for a moment, "What should I wear? The dress?"

The anthropologist shook her head, "Actually, you should dress as a Kawapore."

The warrior was surprised, "Really?"

Akiko explained, "There are other people living in the forest, and when their leaders come to the city, they wear their traditional dress, so I think you have to do the same. Besides, my people know nothing about the Kawapore yet. They should see how the chieftain of the Kawapore looks in her usual habitat."

Iviruti nodded, "I understand."

The academician smiled and winked, "Besides, you look really good with your painting and your feather headband."

"I see.", the warrior chuckled.

Later, they entered the press room and met Senhor De Sousa and the journalists.

The FUNAI manager spoke first, "Thank you to all of you for coming. We have an important annoucement to make: thanks to the efforts and research done by our worthy collaborator, Dr. Akiko Tsurugawa, we have met and learnt to know of the Kawapore, a people that had not been contacted before. We thank her for that, and for coming here with the leader of the Kawapore, Cheiftain Iviruti, who is here with us." He turned to the anthropologist, "Dr. Tsurugawa, please."

Akiko spoke, "Thank you, and good morning to you all. As Senhor De Sousa said, I had the incredible opportunity of contacting the Kawapore, a people we did not know until now. They are a very special culture, because they are matriarchal, and the women have the power, but well, I don´t want to take more of your time speaking, because I think it is better you hear and learn more from the Kawapore leader herself. I learned her language, and she learnt ours from me, so you can address your questions to her."

One journalist introduced himself, "Good morning, Ariel Salgado, from O Globo. So, the Kawapore are a society ruled by women?"

Iviruti nodded, "Yes, that´s right. We, the women, are the hunters and warriors and we train to fight against intruders if  necessary."

Akiko added, "Actually, they were attacked recently. The intruders were killed, which is unfortunate, but the fact is that they had to defend theirselves."

Mr Salgado asked, "Oh! What you say is very serious, Dr. Tsurugawa! Who attacked them?"

Iviruti was going to answer, "It was..."

Akiko quickly interrupted her, "I regret we cannot answer that. It is being investigated by the Justice department."

The journalist nodded, "I understand."

The anthropologist went on, "And that is one strong reason why our laws have to declare the land of the Kawapore as a protected area, so they can live in peace according to their traditions."

Another journalist took her turn, "Good morning, Patricia Perazzo, from Folha de Sao Paulo, Is there a such a project?"

Senhor DeSousa answered this time, "Yes, we have been working on it and we intend to have a meeting in Brazilia with representatives of the Parliament to move it forward as quickly as possible."

A new journalist had a question, " Good morning, I´m Marcelo Pereira, from O Jornal do Brasil and I would like to ask Chieftain Iviruti about the role of men in her society."

The warrior answered, "Men build and clean the huts, and they also build the boats we use to go fishing, and care for the manioc crops."

" Claudio Oliveira, from Zero Hora. And how did you become the leader of your people?"

Iviruti sighed, "My mother died and our former leader raised me as her daughter. Then, after her death, to prove myself worthy to be her successor, I had to live a week alone in the forest before I was accepted as the chieftain."

Mr Oliveira was surprised, "Oh! And what did you do? How were you able to survive alone?"

"I had learned to hunt and fish, find a shelter, light fire... That is what you need to survive in the forest."

The journalist nodded, "I see, thank you."

Another journalist asked the next question, "Hello, my name is Monica Flores, from Jornal da tarde. How is it possible we did not know about the Kawapore? And what is your relationship with other people of the forest?"

"Well, we always tried to keep away from other people and avoid contact with others, always moving to the deepest forest... until now, of course. And I hope that we will have peace among my people and you."

Monica replied, "And I hope so, too."

A jornalist raised her hand, "Good morning, Silvia Friedmann, from Rede Manchete: how did you feel coming to the city from the forest?"

Iviruti thought for a moment and said, "Well... it was strange to see so many people, all those huts one over the other... And I found the city so noisy. It was also curious for me that people do not swim or fish in the river, or go to hunt. They go to the supermarket and get their food with the credit card."

There was another journalist who had a question, "Hello, I am Pedro Cardoso from A Cidade, the newspaper from Manaos: you said the city is noisy. Could you mention something you liked?"

"The opera house is beautiful. And I also liked eating pizza and ice-cream."

"Oh! So you have been to the opera? How was your experience with the music?"

"Yes, I went to the opera and I enjoyed the music, but I did not like that Pinkerton."

Everyone in the room chuckled. Journalist Cardoso commented with a smile, "Well, you are not the only one. Most people going to the opera dislike him. Thank you for your answer."

Senhor DeSousa asked, "Do we have more questions?"

"Yes. I am Florencia Pintos, from Correio Popular. Besides the opera and the food, is there anything else you like about city life?"

"Yes. Driving in the car is nice... and I also enjoyed the shower in the bathroom very much."

Florencia repeated, "The shower?"

Iviruti answered with a broad smile, "Yes, the shower."

* * * * *

María Neves was reading the newspaper. Her attention was caught by the interview with Iviruti, "So, another tribe? And led by women? Interesting..."

She went on reading, and some pages later, noticed a legal edict, looking for the heirs of Efigênia Figueira- Gomes. She was surprised, "Oh,Auntie Effi is dead, eh? I wonder what happened to her." Her curiosity vanished and a sensation of power invaded her. She thought with a disdainful smirk, "Well, who cares? Now those riches are mine! I must go and pay a visit to... err... Attorney Barbosa."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The secretary opened the door and announced, "Sorry, Attorney Barbosa. Here is a lady who claims to be the niece of Dona Efigênia."

The lawyer was shocked, "Really? Well, let her in, please."

A young woman came in. She wore a blouse and jeans, and her light brown hair was cut short. But what impressed Att. Barbosa the most was the harsh, determined look of her clear eyes. Since that moment, he did not have any doubt that she belonged to Efigenia´s family.

He stood up, "Attorney Barbosa, pleased to meet you."

She introduced herself, "Maria Neves Costa-Figueira, pleased to
meet you."

They sat down and the lawyer asked, "I understand you are the niece of the late Efigênia Figueira-Gomes, that´s right?"

She nodded, "Yes"

"I am really surprised. I did not know she had a family. She never mentioned siblings or said she had a niece."

Maria Neves sighed, "A sad story. My mother Eliana was in love with Roberto. But her family did not accept him, because he was not rich. Not that he was a beggar, but he wasn´t wealthy either. So, seeing that her parents would never approve their marriage, they escaped, married in secret and then, some time later, I was born. Of course, I never met my grand parents or my aunt. My mother was disinherited, and my aunt received everything."

"I see..."

She smiled coldly, "Strange how destiny plays with us, isn´t it? Now everything comes back to me."

Attorney Barbosa commented, "Well, I suppose you have documents to prove that you are Dona Efigênia´s niece, do you?"

"Yes, of course! I have my mother´s documents, my father´s documents and their marriage certificate."

"By the way, may I ask where your parents are?"

"They died three years ago in a car accident."

"Oh, I´m so sorry to hear that."

"Thank you."

"So, that makes you the sole surviving heiress... of a vast fortune"

She asked eagerly, "And what does that mean?"

"You have the right to a house and an office in Rio de Janeiro, another office in Sao Paulo, a luxury house with private beach in Sao Luiz do Maranhao, and a big ranch in Amazônia, besides the   money accounts and the stocks and bonds."

Maria Neves´eyes sparkled, "And when can I move?"

"Well... you have to wait. I will bring your claim to court, and then, as soon as you are recognized as heiress, you will be free to enjoy your properties."

She seemed taken aback. But then she smiled and commented, "Oh well, I´ve been waiting all my life, I can wait a bit more."

* * * * *
 

Days later, Akiko and Iviruti met Sergio and Thiago at the FUNAI office.

The anthropologist greeted them cheerfully, "Oh, hello, friends! How good to see you! Where have you been?"

"And we are glad to see you, too! We went to the Xingu with the FUNAI supervisor... routine work."

Thiago nodded, "Yes, we were wondering when we will go back to the Kawapore village."

Akiko explained, "Oh, that will take a bit more. Iviruti and I are organizing our trip to Brazilia."

Sergio turned to the chieftain, "And how do you feel about that? Are you comfortable living here, or are you already missing your friends and your village?"

Iviruti thought for a moment, "Well... yes, I miss them. But on the other hand, there are so many things I have to see and learn here. And I am looking forward to going to that place... Brazilia. I will be glad to meet your leaders at last and speak for my people. That´s why I came here."

The men nodded, "That´s right."

Right that moment, Eliana, an attendant of the Public Relations Bureau, entered the office, "Excuse me, Dr. Tsurugawa, this letter is for you.

Akiko received the envelope, "Thank you, Eliana."

She looked at the sender´s address and exclaimed, "It´s from the University of Sao Paulo!"

The anthropologist quickly opened the letter and read it, while her friends waited with great interest. "Oh! They want me to speak at a conference about the Kawapore and their culture." She smiled at the warrior, "And of course, you are invited too, Iviruti!"

Thiago said, "Your family will be very happy with this news!"

Akiko nodded, "Yes, I want to see them, and now, with this invitation, I only have to fix the date."

Iviruti asked, confused, "But... aren´t we going to Brazilia?"

Her loved one explained, "Oh yes, that is already decided and fixed. But after that, we are going to Sao Paulo."

Iviruti smiled, "And I will meet your family, too!"

* * * * *

Days later, Akiko and Iviruti drove to the Airport of Manaos to catch their flight to Brazilia.

The chieftain said, "And how are we going to travel? I thought we would go by boat, but we are not going to the river."

"No, Brazilia is too far. We are going to fly."

Iviruti´s eye opened wide with surprise, "Fly? We are not birds!"

Akiko chuckled, "But there are planes. They´ve got motors that move them so fast, that they can stay in the air, supported by the wings. You know, before we went to your village, there was a plane that flew over it and took pictures."

The warrior remembered, "Oh, yes, there was a big, noisy bird that came and then disappeared!"

Her companion nodded, "Yes, that was the plane. We are going to travel on a bigger and more comfortable one."

When they were close to the airport, Akiko pointed, "See there? Those are the planes."

"Oh! It´s incredible. I can´t believe they can fly!"

Right that moment, a plane was taking off, and the anthropologist gestured, "But they do fly. See?"

Iviruti nodded, "Yes. Amazing!"

Moments later, they parked and entered the departure hall.

Iviruti was awed, "This is a big place, and there are so many people... Why are they standing in line, waiting?"

"We have to go there, too. The people who are going to fly must check in here, and send the luggage to the cargo compartment of the plane."

When their turn came, Akiko put the suitcase on the scale. The attendant turned to Iviruti, who was carrying her spear, the arrows and the bow, "Please, madam, you have to register your weapons."

The chieftain objected, "But I want to have them with me!"

"I am sorry, but it is not allowed."

Akiko explained, "Please, Iviruti, you have to give her the weapons. It is not allowed to carry them in the cabin."

"But... why?"

"It is dangerous. And besides, you will not need them. You cannot hunt during the flight, right?"

The warrior admitted, "That is true."

After the incident was settled, they boarded the plane. Everything was new and strange to Iviruti, and, being tall, she felt uncomfortable in the small space. Akiko showed her how to fasten and unfasten the seat belts.

At last, the plane moved and stopped at the runway, ready to take off. Iviruti gasped, somewhat tense and anxious, but then she felt Akiko´s hand gently pressing hers. They exchanged a look and the chieftain felt reassured when she saw her loved one smiling at her.

* * * * *

Once they were in Brasilia, Iviruti was really puzzled by the special architecture of the city. Akiko explained that, instead of growing slowly, as most cities, Brasilia was created to be the capital city of Brazil.

The following days, they had a busy schedule: they met Congress members and also representatives of the other native nations, who were glad to welcome Iviruti. They had meetings and talks to explain their project and ask support for the Kawapore area.

When the couple were back at the hotel, Akiko announced, "Well, now our mission here is over for the moment. Fortunately, everyone agreed and promised to approve our project."

The leader nodded, "Yes, that is good. And then we, the Kawapore, will go on living in our forest without problems, according to our traditions."    She sighed, "I´d like so much to go back home and tell that to my sisters..."

Her loved one commented, "But that will have to wait a bit more...Tomorrow we are going to Sao Paulo."

Iviruti smiled happily, "And there I´ll meet your family." Then she asked, somewhat worriedly, "Do you think they will like me?"

The anthropologist looked at her in surprise, "Oh, yes! Why
not?"

"Well, I thought that perhaps they would object to our love..." She hesitated and asked with anxiety,"... because you are going to tell them, aren´t you?"

"Oh, yes, of course! I cannot hide that from them."

"And if they don´t agree?"

Akiko answered, very determined, "It´s our life, our happiness. I won´t renounce that because they don´t accept it."

There was background music in the room, and right that moment came a song performed by María Creuza:

"Eu sei que eu vou te amar,

por toda minha vida eu vou te amar..."

(I know I will love you,

for all my life I will love you...")

Akiko went to Iviruti and hugged her tightly, "Oh yes! This song says exactly what I feel, and that will not change, no matter what my family thinks. I love you, Iviruti!"

"And I love you too, Akiko!"

They kissed, as the song went on:

"E cada verso meu

serápra ti dizer que eu se que vou ti amar

por toda minha vida."

("And each of my verses will be

To tell you that I know I will love you

for all my life")

* * * * *

Akiko and Iviruti were met by the anthropologist´s family at Sao Paulo airport.

The academician was very happy to see her parents and brother again. Tavinho was there, too.

After Akiko hugged and kissed her family and introduced Iviruti to them, the architect offered her a bunch of flowers, "This is a very small present. Really, my dearest... I cannot say how happy I am to see you again!"

She received the flowers and smelled them, "Oh, this is very nice! Thank you!"

Tavinho reproached her, "Oh, come on! Aren´t you going to kiss me after such a long time?"

"Oh, please, Tavinho..."

He thought her reluctance was because of the presence of her family and tried to persuade her, "Come on, don´t be so shy!"

He gently put his hands on Akiko´s shoulders, bent his head forward and kissed her briefly on the lips.

Iviruti harrumphed, "And who is he?"

Akiko cleared her throat, "He is Tavinho. Tavinho, this is Iviruti, the leader of the Kawapore."

The chieftain stared at him, "Oh, the man who wants to marry you?"

The handsome architect smiled, "Yes, we just have to fix the date. What do you say, Akiko?"

The anthropologist answered anxiously, with a sideways glance at Iviruti, "Please, Tavinho, we shouldn´t hurry."

He couldn´t believe it, "What? But... what happened, Akiko? I thought we were engaged..."

She explained carefully, "That´s what we both took for granted, but... you know... things are different now".

"Why? Tell me what has changed!"

She tried to calm him down, "Please, Tavinho, I can´t tell you right now! You know, this is not the moment or the place for that. We have to meet in private."

He looked at her for a moment and then sighed, "All right, then give me a call when you want us to talk. See you!"

He turned his back and walked away.

Akiko´s mother could not believe it, "What... what have you done, my daughter? You offended him! Quick, follow him and apologize!"

Akiko shook her head, "No, mother, I cannot do that. I do owe him an explanation and will give it. But I can´t apologize for the decision I've made."

Her father said, "Do you say rejecting a young, handsome man with a professional career, an excellent job and a good income is a good decision?"

"Please, father, as I said, I cannot explain it here, right now, but believe me, I have a good reason to do what I do. And I can tell you, in the end it will be the best thing for everyone."

Meanwhile, Iviruti looked at her loved one in silence.

* * * * *

Later, all except Tavinho, arrived at the home of the anthropologist´s parents.

Kenji, Akiko´s father, closed the door and turned to his daughter, asking in a harsh, inquisitorial tone, "All right, now I want you to explain all this nonsense. How can you treat your fiance like that? What´s in your mind!?"

Akiko replied, "Please, father... let´s sit down and talk about this calmly, yes?"

Kenji snarled, "OK, I want to hear your explanations, and hope it´s not just for any silly reason."

His wife Satomi tried to dissipate the tension, "Oh, but... I think Iviruti must be tired after the trip." She smiled at the chieftain and invited her, "Come with me, please, I will show you to your room..." She turned to her son, "Please, Yoshi, could you help me carry the luggage, dear?"

He smiled, "Oh, sure, Mom!"

Akiko stopped them, "Mom, Yoshi, please, stay here... And you too, Iviruti! I want you to hear what I have to say."

Satomi hesitated for a moment and sat down on the sofa. Her husband also sat down next to her, while Yoshi looked worriedly first at his parents and then at his sister.

Kenji looked at his daughter, waiting, "Well? I am listening."

Akiko thought for a moment and took a deep breath, while Iviruti looked at her evidently worried. The anthropologist finally spoke up, "There is only one reason why I can´t marry Tavinho, and it´s a very powerful one: I am in love with someone else."

The elder couple remained breathless. Yoshi murmured, "Oh!" At last, Kenji recovered himself from the shock, "What? And who is the one you love now?" He added with sarcasm, "One of your friends from the jungle?"

Akiko sighed, "Well... It´s ... Iviruti."

Kenji and Satomi looked at each other, speechless. Yoshi looked at his sister with wide open eyes.

Akiko´s father murmured at last, "I... I can´t believe this."

Satomi looked at her daughter, "But... How? Why?"

Akiko explained, "I can only say that love is like that. You never know how or when or why it happens. Please, try to understand! I know it´s difficult, and I am sorry if this disappoints you. Just let me tell you, It was difficult for myself to understand and accept it, but the truth is, I love Iviruti."

Kenji exploded, "And you have the face to bring your lover here? You dare to come and tell us in our face you are a lesbian, and that you abandon someone like Tavinho for this... this savage Indian!?

Iviruti quickly stood up, replying in an angry voice, "Sir, I will not..."

But Akiko stopped her with a gesture of her hand, and faced her father speaking emphatically, "This... savage Indian.. as you say, saved my life, cared for me, taught me how to defend myself and survive in the forest. I will not tolerate that you insult her, especially when she is now our guest in our home." Then she went on, more calmly, explaining, "Yes, I found out I am a lesbian, and it was a surprise even to myself. But how can I deny my feelings? Would you rather prefer me to hide them? We do not choose who we love, we do not have the control over our hearts."

Kenji looked at his daughter, "This is all so sudden, so unexpected..."

The anthropologist said, "As it was for me. I did not know at first but when it happened to me... then I understood."

Satomi said, "And we will have to make an effort to try to understand it as well."

"And I thank you for that. But even if you do not understand or accept it, please remember I am your daughter, and that I love you."

Her mother stood up and embraced her, "You are our daughter, and... well... we thought of a different way... another future for you. But we are your family, and we love you."

Yoshi embraced his sister, too, as Iviruti watched them happily, "That´s why we are family... to help and support each other. I love you, sister, and that will not change."

Akiko smiled and stroked his cheek, "Thank you, bro."

Kenji said, "Yes, we are family, and we love you... but what about Tavinho? What are you going to do?"

The anthropologist answered, "As I said, I will call him so we can have a talk."

Iviruti commented, "I hope he will understand."

Akiko sighed, "Well, he´ll have to."

* * * * *

Later, Akiko phoned her ex fiance. In spite of his bitterness, he finally agreed to meet her in the Parco Ibirapuera* where they had first made their acquaintance. They could find there a calm place to be alone and talk with privacy.

When the moment of their date arrived, Iviruti was surprised to see her sweetheart preparing to go out, "Where are you going, Akiko?"

"I must meet Tavinho. We need to talk and make things clear."

She asked in alarm, "You are going to see him?"

"Well, yes. He´s got the right to know why I turned him down, don´t you think so? Didn´t we talk about this and agree?"

The chieftain admitted, "Well... yes."

Akiko embraced her, "Oh, come on, Iviruti, you don´t need to worry!"

The anthropologist left home for her last talk with Tavinho, while her family invited Iviruti to visit the Instituto Butantan, with the park and the famous serpentarium.

Akiko drove to the park where Tavinho was already waiting for her with a bunch of flowers.

"Akiko, my dear!" He offered her the flowers, "This is for you."

"Oh, thank you! That´s so nice."

"Well, I needed to apologize for my reaction in the airport. But please, understand me. I was hurt and..."

"I know that, and I feel terribly sorry that I hurt you, but, on the other hand, I did not want you to have false expectations."

He was astonished, "False expectations! But... why? We had plans..."

She interrupted, "Yes, we had plans, but now plans have changed, as it sometimes happens."

Tavinho asked her, determined, "Well, tell me then at last, what has changed."

"I am in love with someone else."

He looked at Akiko in silence, and a veil of pain and sadness covered his eyes. At last, he gulped and was able to speak, "And who is the one who stole your love?"

"Oh, please, Tavinho! Nobody stole anything! You know, love can change, feelings can change..."

He sighed and admitted sadly, "Yes, right... that can be. Sometimes it happens. So, tell me, who is he? "

"Who is she."

He stared at her in disbelief.

She explained, "Yes, as you´ve heard. I could not believe it
myself, but then it grew stronger and stronger until I could not deny it to myself ."

Tavinho recovered a bit from the shock, and was finally able to speak, "Then... you love another woman? But... how? We..."

"I told you, things change. I also believed we were the right couple, and now, you see..."

"And who is she, then?" He thought for a moment and said, hesitating, "Don´t tell me it´s... the... that... native woman! Now I understand why she looked at me so sternly!"

She nodded and said, "Yes, your guess is right."

He shook his head, "Oh, please, Akiko! Use your head! Yes... I… I know... You... you fell in love with her, but... let me tell you this, not as a lover, but a friend... What is your future with her? What can you expect as a couple? You are both so different, different cultures and education... You… you could get hurt.... and hurt her too. Please, think of it!"

"I know what you mean, and I thought about that carefully. I am sure that I want to live with her, and well, I am a field anthropologist, I like being in the field. I´ve already lived in the village for quite a long time. I made friends and felt comfortable there. Sure, sometimes I missed my family and my other friends, but I can still come and see them when I want, right? I don´t think Iviruti would forbid me that."

Tavinho remained silent, looking down. At last he looked at Akiko, "Well, I see you are determined, and have thought about everything, and, since you don´t love me anymore, there is nothing more to say. I can only hope and wish you will both be happy."

She embraced him lightly, "Thank you, Tavinho! I am so sorry to cause you this pain, and hope you will soon meet another woman who loves you and can make you happy. You are a great person, and I will always appreciate you... although as a friend instead of my lover."

He sighed and his voice broke as he said, "Well, Akiko, take care, and good luck! Goodbye."

"And good luck to you, Tavinho! Goodbye!"

* One of Sao Paulo´s parks.

* * * * *

When Akiko came back home carrying the bunch of flowers, her family and Iviruti were already there. She smiled and greeted, "Hello!"

But then, she was astonished when the chieftain suddenly stood up and went to the room.

"What happened to her?" Satomi asked.

Still in a shock, Akiko replied, "I ... I don´t know. I´m going to see her."

The anthropologist entered the room and met the warrior´s harsh look, "You...traitor!"

Akiiko couldn´t believe it, "What...?! But... why do you say that?"

Iviruti insisted with her accusation, "HE gave you that bunch of flowers, right? And you let him turn round your head again, isn´t that true?"

Now Akiko was angry, "What are you talking about!? He gave me the flowers, yes, but as a friendly gesture! It´s not what you think!"

"Oh, yes? Prove it!"

"Oh! So I have to prove it? I promised you to live with you in the village, I argued with Tavinho at the airport, defended our love in front of my family... Really, Iviruti, you know me well by now, and you should trust me and think before accusing me so lightly!"

"Oh! I... I am sorry. I did not want to offend you..."

"But you did!"

"Yes, I know. But please, forgive me. A jealous heart is not a good guide..."

Akiko calmed down and replied, "Yes, that´s true, so remember it well!"

Iviruti stood up and embraced her loved one, "I am so sorry! I did not mean to hurt you. Can you forgive me? I promise I will not doubt you again."

The anthropologist kissed her on the cheek, "I love you. Please, never forget it! We need to trust each other."

* * * * *

The morning after the conference, Akiko woke up and went to the kitchen to have breakfast. Her family and Iviruti were already there. They were reading the newspaper, commenting excitedly.

Iviruti smiled at her, "Look! Our photo is on this paper!"

"Really? Let me see!"

Kenji commented, "Your conference was a complete success! It raised much interest."

Akiko replied, "Well, we knew nothing about the Kawapore until now, so it´s our opportunity to learn.... It´s a natural reaction."

Satomi hugged her daughter, "We are so proud of you, my dear!" Then she turned to the chieftain, "And you were great, too. You answered and explained the details very clearly. Your people would feel proud of you!"

Iviruti nodded, "Thank you! That´s what I always want: to be worthy of my people."

Yoshi said, "And you certainly are! I would say that the Kawapore are lucky to have a leader like you."

"And now, what are you going to do? " asked Kenji.

"We´ll stay a couple of days more, then we´ll fly back to Manaos and from there, we´ll go to the Kawapore village."

Satomi felt concerned, "Oh, so you´ll go to the forest again?"

This time, Iviruti answered, "Now it´s time for me to go home. As you said, I am the leader and they need me."

"Yes, of course, I know, but..." She looked at Akiko, "Do you really need to go again?"

Akiko explained, "It´s my job, so I have to do it. Besides... Now you all know what I feel for Iviruti. I want to be with her."

The anthropologist then hugged her parents and brother, comforting them, "But you don´t need to worry! We´ll be visiting you as often as we can. How could I forget my family?"

* * * * *

That afternoon, Att. Barbosa recieved María Neves in his office.

After they exchanged greetings, he explained, "I called you to come here, because the Tribunal has finally established that you are indeed the niece of the late Dona Efigênia and therefore, her only legitimate heiress."

She smiled, "That is good news!"

The attorney nodded, "Of course. And so, as your aunt´s lawyer, now it is my duty to give you the possesion of your aunt´s properties: these are the titles and the key of her house and office in Rio de Janeiro,the numbers of the bank accounts, the titles of the fazenda and the wood processing plant... Oh, and here is the key to the safety box where she kept all her jewels."

He handed out everything to her and offered his right hand, "Congratulations, Senhora! I hope you´ll enjoy this wealth for long!"

She shook hands with him, "Thank you!"

She browsed the pages of the folders, and something caught her attention, "Oh! And what´s this?"

Att. Barbosa looked at the pages she was indicating, "Ah, that´s a form that your aunt had filled to ask permission to exploit an area in the Amazonas, near her fazenda."

"And has this been authorized?"

"No, it was rejected."

"Why?"

"There is a native tribe living there, and the government intends to create a reservation area for them."

"Oh, I read something about that in the news. So, it was that tribe of  warrior women who killed my aunt, right?"

He sighed, "I´m afraid so." He hastened to add, "But I hope you will not try to take revenge. It was proven that she and her men attacked them first."

"Oh, no, no of course!" She thought,"It´s a pity those Indians will enjoy that land.... I could make goood money out of it!"

The lawyer´s voice brought her back to reality, "By the way, I also have this box the police gave me. It has some of your aunt´s belongings... Things she was carrying with her during her unfortunate expedition to the tribe´s village."

Maria Neves distractedly looked inside, finding clothes, a torchlight, a Swiss army knife, and a small notebook.

"What´s this?", she asked, already feeling curious.

Att. Barbosa answered, "I don´t know. You know, it´s private, I do not have the right to read it."

The heiress took a quick look, "Oh, seems this was my aunt´s diary."

"Well, now it´s yours to read... and also to add many pages to the family´s history, I hope.", he commented

* * * * *

Days later, the couple arrived at Manaos. Akiko opened the apartment and commented, as they went in, "Well, now we are alone again."

Iviruti nodded, "It´s good to have privacy again."

"I am going to unpack and put things in order."

"Good. Meanwhile, I am going to have a shower."

Iviruti went to the bathroom, took off her clothes, turned on the shower and tried the water. She felt it had the right temperature, so she stepped into the tub and began rubbing her body with soap.

Much to her surprise, the bathroom door suddenly opened. Akiko stood there, completely naked. The warrior gasped, admiring the beauty of her beloved´s body. She regained some control and said, "I... I thought you were... unpacking."

Akiko´s lips curved in a smile, "But that can wait, right?"

"Oh, sure! If... you say so..."

She walked up to the chieftain, hugged her and gently kissed her lips. Then she murmured suggestively, "You know, I also felt like I needed... a shower."

Then she passionately kissed Iviruti again.

When their lips parted at last, Iviruti smiled as her brown eyes sparkled mischievously, " You see? This is why I am fond of showers..." She chuckled, "I think we should install one in our hut. What do you say?"

"Hummm... We don´t need it. We have the river..."

"Ah, yes, the river...", the warrior murmured, her mind lost in memories.

They embraced tighter and kissed again.

* * * * *

Next morning, Akiko and Iviruti went to the FUNAI office, and there they met their collaborators.

Sergio greeted them cheerfully, "Dr. Tsurugawa! Senhora Ivruti! How good to see you!"

Thiago added, "And congratulations to you both! You made a good impression on the politicians in Brazilia, and the conference in Sao Paulo was a success, too!"

The women were flattered, "Oh, thank you!"

Sergio turned to Iviruti,"And how are feeling among us?"

"Very well, although I am longing to go home."

Thiago smiled, "Don´t worry then! The Amazon Queen will be here in two days and then will stay three days to do maintenance work and load the provisions for her journey, so then we can leave."

The chieftain was happy, "Oh, that´s great news!"

At that moment, Mr De Sousa opened the door, "Sergio...? Thiago...?" He saw the two women there, "Dr Tsurugawa! And Senhora Iviruti! So glad you are here! " He thought for a moment and said, "Well, now that the team is complete again, I would like to have a meeting with you all. Come to my office, please!"

Moments later, Mr De Sousa gave Akiko a letter, saying, "I received this from the Ministry of the Environment.. Now that the Congress will study our project of a Reserve for the Kawapore, they are preparing to send a group of specialists to study the biodiversity of the area. Meanwhile, until that can be done, they are asking our cooperation to make a quick assessment."

Iviruti asked, "Bio...di...versity? What is that?"

Mr De Sousa explained, "That means, we would like to know how many species of plants and animals are in your area."

The chieftain asked, worriedly, "And why do they want to know that? The animals are for us to hunt and fish, and the plants give us fruits..."

Mr De Sousa reassured her, "Of course, what you say is right! You see, we want to know about those species, because the protection will also benefit them."

"Yes, I see...!"

Akiko was pensive, "But... what can we do to cooperate? We are not experts in that area."

The FUNAI officer nodded, "Yes, but you can record what the Kawapore hunt and fish... That will give the conservation experts an idea of the variety and quantity of the resources... and it will help them to estimate a possible expansion of the future reserve so Nature can be protected and at the same time, support the Kawapore´s way of life."

The anthropologist agreed, "Yes, sure, that is an important estimation, and of course, we can do what you say."

Mr. De Sousa added, "You can also take pictures of the mammals, birds, reptiles and fishes you get to observe, as well as photos of flowers and plants."

Thiago nodded, "We can certainly do that."

"That´s what we do, anyway." Sergio said.

"There´s one more thing ", Mr. De Sousa announced, "They ´ve sent us three camera traps. You should install them, and if you choose the right place, you may be able to get pictures of rare species."

Iviruti did not understand, "Camera trap? But it will not hurt any animal?"

Sergio shook his head, "No, no, don´t worry! It is like our ... image box. The difference is that it has a special system: when an animal walks in front of the camera, it takes the picture.
It´s great, because we do not need to be there waiting, and besides, a shy animal will not fear it as it would fear the presence of a human. "

The warrior nodded relieved, "Good!"

Akiko assured Mr De Sousa, "Of course, we will be glad to cooperate with this project."

* * * * *

Days later, the group was on the "Amazon Queen" on their journey to Iviruti´s village. One bright and sunny day, the anthropologist and the warrior were on the deck, looking at the river and the forests along the riverbanks.

Iviruti cleared her throat and said, "Akiko... there´s something I would like to ask you."

"And what is it?"

"Well,... Now you are going to live with me in my ... in our hut?", the chieftain asked hesitatingly.

Akiko looked at her in silence for a moment, not quite understanding the reason for the question. Then she realized the true meaning of Iviruti´s words and answered deeply moved, "You mean... you are proposing to me?"

The chieftain nodded, and asked anxiously, "Yes! Will you marry me?"

The anthropologist blushed, "Oh, Iviruti, that´s so nice! And well..., you already know the answer: I´ll certainly be very glad to be your spouse, and living in the same hut with you will make me the happiest woman on earth... but not until we have Agarepa´s blessing and get married according to tradition."

"Oh, of course! I am not asking for anything else!"

Akiko embraced the warrior,"Iviruti! my dearest!"

"Akiko, my own love!"

They stood for a moment in each other´s arms, looking at the landscape in silence.

* * * * *
 

The morning after they arrived in the village, Akiko put on a short skirt and a bikini bra.

Her colleagues were surprised. Sergio asked worriedly, "Dr. Tsurugawa! Why are you dressed like that? You are going to get sunburned!"

Thiago also offered his advice, "Yes, that´s right. You should wear your shirt and     jeans. You are highly exposed to the insects ´stings, too!"

She smiled, "I really appreciate your care for me, but I think this is fair. Iviruti adopted our clothes while she was in town, so I think I should adapt myself to her ways while I am in her village... especially when I am going to live with her in her hut."

Thiago asked, "Live with her? But... why? We´ve got plenty of room in the common hut!"

Akiko gulped and gave them the news, "Well... the truth is... we... we are going to marry."

Sergio exclaimed, "Marry?"

She nodded, "Yes. We love each other, so we are going to marry."

Thiago commented, "Oh,well... this is a big surprise indeed! We... we always imagined you would marry your fiance, Tavinho..."

"We never imagined this!", Sergio added. Then he went on, "But of course, we both wish a lot of happiness to you and Senhora Iviruti."

Thiago agreed with a smile, "Sure! And we will be very happy to be the witnesses at your wedding!"

Right that moment, Iviruti joined them. After the greetings, she asked Akiko, "So, are you coming with me to see Agarepa?"

"Oh, yes of course!"

The chieftain turned to the men and explained, "You know... We are going to marry, so we need her blessing."

Sergio nodded, "Yes, that´s what Dr. Tsurugawa has just told us. Congratulations to you both!"

Thiago added, "May you live a long and happy life together!"

* * * * *

Maria Neves entered the main house of the fazenda. Alcides, the new manager, greeted her, "Welcome, Dona María Neves! We are glad that you are here, and that this fazenda will stay in the family!"

She nodded, "Thank you!"

He picked up her suitcases "Let me show you to your bedroom... Then, once you´ve made yourself comfortable, I´ll be waiting for you in the lounge to show you a report about the status of the business."

"Good!"

Moments later, they entered the bedroom and Alcides explained, "This was Dona Efigênia´s room... Of course, as the current owner, you can modify it or redecorate it as you please."

He placed the suitcases in a corner and greeted, "See you later."

Now alone, Maria Neves looked at the big bed covered by a beautiful light silk drapery that protected it against mosquitoes, the simple,elegant furniture and thought, "Yes! Now this is MY bedroom, in MY house, on MY land! Now everything belongs to ME in this big fazenda... " She sighed "...that I could make even bigger if I could stop the reservation project and get an authorization to exploit that forest area... But how?" Then, an idea came to her mind, "Oh, yes, I can do that! Fortunately, my aunt was careful enough to note the GPS coordinates of her last trip in her diary... I have the last location of the beach by the river, and the village must not be far...Humm... If I..."

* * * * *

The couple walked joyfully hand in hand along the trail in the forest, enjoying the green world around them, the flowers and the songs of the birds.

Arriving at Agarepa´s hut, Iviruti called, "Wise Mother! It’s us, Akiko and Iviruti! We need to talk to you."

The shamaness stood at the door and greeted them kindly, "Iviruti! Akiko! So, you want me to bless your wedding?"

The chieftain was stunned, "Oh! How... How did you know?"

Agarepa laughed heartily, "Well, you revealed your heart to me, Iviruti. And now you both come to my hut, hand in hand, with such beaming smiles on your faces..." She chuckled again, "I do not need any magic to guess what it means!"

Akiko and Iviruti laughed, too, "Oh, you are right, Wise Mother!"

"Come! Let´s go into my hut... I want to hear about your journey, Iviruti. It must have been a wonderful one!"

"Oh yes indeed! I have lots of things to tell you..."

After their conversation, Akiko and Iviruti returned to the village and announced the news. The people of the village cheered the couple enthusiastically.

The next days were very busy for Akiko and Iviruti who had to prepare everything for the wedding ceremony and the party. Of course, the rest of the tribe helped, especially Boharati and Mboare as the chieftain´s closest relatives. Sergio and Thiago assisted Akiko with all her tasks.

At last, the fixed date for the wedding arrived. The couple received Agarepa´s blessings and then everybody celebrated with songs and dances illuminated by the moon and the fires. During the banquet, they had more reasons to rejoice, because Kinuwa and Motokotori announced they wanted to marry, too.

When the music and the enthusiasm faded, Akiko and Iviruti went into the hut to spend their wedding night.

Next morning, when the villagers were awake, Agarepa summoned everyone and said she had an important announcement. They were surprised when she began her speech, "My dear friends, I have been your shamaness and spiritual guide for many years. I am still strong and healthy, but I cannot know how much longer I will walk on this earth."

Iviruti interrupted her in a shock, "Oh no, Wise Mother! Do not speak like that! You will still give us your advice for a long time!"

The shamaness replied, "Please, Iviruti! What do you fear? You know as well as I do that some day, we will leave this earth and go to the Land of the Spirits, to join our Ancestors!" She paused, and then went on, "I also know the future will bring changes and new challenges, and our people will need another spiritual guide to continue my mission. So, I will choose an apprentice."

Okavura asked, "And who is she, Wise Mother? Have you already decided?"

Agarepa nodded, "Yes." She turned to a young girl, "Come,Munwapori. I will teach you the healing power of the herbs and how to use the magic and the power of the Spirits to do good."

The girl was surprised, "But... why me?"

"This is what the Spirits told me in a vision."

Mandivura, the girl´s mother asked, "But... Wise Mother... isn´t she too young?"

The shamaness answered sympathetically, "I know it is a pain for you both to be separated... but the sooner she starts, the more she will learn and gain more power."

The mother nodded and hugged her daughter, making an effort to conceal her tears, "Munwapori... the Spirits chose you, so now you must go with Agarepa. I hope you will be a good pupil for her!"

The Seer smiled, "Oh yes, I am sure she will be! And don´t worry, I will care for her very well."

* * * * *

Akiko woke up in the arms of Iviruti, who was still sleeping. She relaxed, trying not to disturb her loved one, but then the chieftain opened her eyes and smiled at her, "Good morning, my dearest."

"And good morning to you, my sweetheart."

After they exchanged a kiss, Iviruti asked, "So, what would you like to do today?"

"I don't know... I didn't plan anything."

"I thought we could go hunting, and then, in the afternoon...", she winked, "we could go to the river."

"Mmm... sounds like a great plan."

The chieftain kissed her forehead and chuckled, "I knew you would like it."

Akiko returned the wink, "Oh, yeah! Especially going to the river."

Iviruti stroked her wife´s hair, "Well then we should get up and have breakfast quickly."

Their breakfast consisted of fruit and some cold meat leftover from the banquet.

Then they heard someone calling, "Dr. Tsurugawa? Senhora Iviruti? May we come in?"

Iviruti greeted, "Sergio, Thiago! Yes, come in, please!"

The men entered the hut. "We hope we are not disturbing you..."

Sergio smiled, "Yes, we did not want to interrupt you."

Akiko replied, "Oh, not at all! We were just having breakfast. Come, sit down and share it with us."

"Thank you very much but we already had breakfast," Sergio said

Thiago added, "You know, we must still set the photo-traps."

Akiko slapped her forehead, "Oh yes, that´s right!"

"Please, don´t worry! You were too busy with the plans for the wedding... It´s understandable you did not have time for this or did not remember," Sergio assured her.

Thiago reminded, "We still have a lot of time to stay here and take pictures of the animals."

The anthropologist nodded, "Yes. You know, there is a place by the river where I saw many traces of animals. Seems they go there to drink."

"That would be a good place to start." Sergio agreed.

Iviruti told them they could also set another by the mud pool.

Thiago said enthusiastically, "Oh, yes! There we could see monkeys and parrots..."

"Yeah", Iviruti interjected, "I've often wondered why they all gather to eat mud. It´s crazy, isn´t it?"

Akiko explained, "It´s because many of the leaves and fruits they eat are potentially poisonous. But the mud neutralizes that... it acts as an antidote."

The warrior is constantly intrigued by her lover's knowledge, "Oh, I see..."

Sergio turned to Thiago, "Now that we have chosen the places, let's go."

Akiko nodded, "Of course. If you wait until we finish breakfast, I´ll go with you."

Iviruti was surprised, "But I thought we would go hunting..."

"Yes, I know, Iviruti, but this is part of my job, my responsibility. That´s why I´m going with Sergio and Thiago," the anthropologist explained.

The warrior then said "All right, I´ll accompany you."

Now Akiko smiled,"Good, I'm glad you'll join us."

* * * * *

Days later, in her fazenda, Maria Neves was resting on her bed, thinking with satisfaction, "Everything`s going on well...Those guys that Alcides hired on my behalf don't know me, and they don´t know his identity, either." Her lips opened in an evil grin as she went on musing, "They will do the dirty job for me... and then, the men of my fazenda will find the destroyed village. I`ll notify the police, so I`ll be the heroine and nobody will suspect me. As for those thugs... they will surely escape, because the police will never find them in the jungle. And if they are stupid enough to let themselves be caught, they cannot blame me, because they don´t know who paid them."

Her eyes flashed with pride, "Yeah, it's a perfect plan! I risk nothing..." She made a scornful smirk, "Unfortunately for her, my aunt was not as smart as I am."

* * * * *

In Agarepa's hut, the shamaness was chanting prayers and burning aromatic herbs while the apprentice, Munwapori, sat in front of her, her eyes closed. Then, the young girl shivered and opened her eyes in alarm. She looked around and slowly returned to reality.

Agarepa interrupted her chanting and hurried to reassure her pupil, "Don´t worry! Everything is all right. There is nothing to fear."

Munwapori sighed, relieved, and said, "Yes, Wise Mother, but... I... I saw... strangers... Akiko and her friends are in danger..."

The shamaness nodded slowly, "Yes, that is what I saw in my visions, too." She added, "I am glad to see you are learning so quickly and that you have such powerful spiritual eyes."

"Yes, but... What are we going to do now? We should go and warn them..."

"No, we´ll do something else."

"And what is it, Wise Mother?"

The Seer explained, "There is a magic... a very powerful one... that can be used in such moments of danger. I didn´t intend to teach it to you so soon, but given the circumstances, I have to do it."

* * * * *

Days later, Iviruti and Akiko were having breakfast, when the voices of other warriors called them from outside the hut. The couple went to the door, "What happens, sisters? Why do you call us?"

Boharati spoke up for the rest, "Good morning, Iviruti, Akiko! We are going fishing in the river, and we wanted to invite you both."

"Seems like a good idea," Iviruti said, and turned to her wife, "What do you say?"

"You know, I have to go with Sergio and Thiago to check the camera traps." She thought for a moment and continued, "But since we are going in the same direction, we can accompany you to the river and then go to pick up the cameras."

"And then, join us for the fishing," Iviruti seemed determined that Akiko join them. "After all, the mud pool is quite close from the place where we´ll be."

Akiko sighed, "No, we have to come back to the village to see the images in the camera."

"So? Will you come with us?" Boharati and the rest wanted to know.

"Yes, we´ll go with you." Iviruti looked at Akiko, "Then, you´ll go to see the cameras and we´ll meet again here in the village, right?"

The anthropologist agreed, "Oh yes, we can do that."

* * * * *

Later, Akiko and her coworkers were going from the river to the mud pool. They walked relaxedly enjoying the green and the calm of the forest when a group of five armed men appeared and surrounded them.

One of the men asked, "Oh, they are not Indians! Should we kill them too, Boss?"

"They´re not Indians, but I think I saw the woman´s photo in the newspapers. She´s here studying them." He looked at Akiko, "Am I right?"

"Yes, I am a FUNAI agent here."

"Good. Then you can guide us right to the village... We´ve been looking for it."

"To kill all the people? And you think we will help you?"

The boss bared a machete and made a gesture to his men indicating Thiago, "Hold that guy!"

Two of them obeyed while the others controlled Akiko and Sergio aiming at them with their guns. Then the leader looked fiercely at Akiko. The anthropologist felt a chill along her spine as he threatened in a harsh tone, "Well, now it´s your last chance! You can choose: lead us to the village or else I´ll cut him in chunks little by little."

Right that moment, the Jaguar jumped off a branch roaring loudly and attacked the boss. Before the man could defend himself, the feline´s jaws broke his neck, killing him instantly.

The predator, growling threateningly and showing its fangs, then fixed its golden eyes on the men holding Thiago. They turned pale, and let their captive go.

Meanwhile, the other men, somewhat recovered from the shock, aimed their guns at the Jaguar. But before they could shoot, a young adult cub attacked them and bit one of the men´s ankles.

His companion then turned around and shot his gun at the cub, but in his hurry he did not aim well and missed it. The young creature quickly dissapeared into the forest.

In the meantime, the other men crouched to recover the guns they had put on the ground. With an effortless leap, the Jaguar reached one of them and bit his neck while the big claws tore his back. The man next to the victim aimed his gun and shot, but at that moment the Jaguar moved, so the bullet hit its shoulder instead of the neck. The wounded beast gave out a frightening roar. The man tried to aim again, but before he could fix his target, the Jaguar, moving as fast as it could, managed to hide among the vegetation. As for Akiko, Sergio and Thiago, they had taken advantage of the confusion and escaped.
The surviving men, now out of danger, just stood looking at each other, completely bewildered.

"That... that beast... It killed the Boss and Toninho."

"Yes... And what are we going to do now?"

"Well... we have a job to do... And we´ll be well paid for it."

"But Gilmar... Think a bit! Luiz is wounded!"

"That´s true... I don´t think I can walk far," said the wounded man.

Gilmar thought for a moment, "Ok, you can stay here with the equipment and provisions, while Ayrton and I go to the village."

"OK, we´ll do that. Just leave me enough ammunition, just in case."

Ayrton pointed out, "Now we´ve got a problem: those people escaped while the jaguars attacked."

"Let´s look around carefully. They must have left footprints that we can follow," Gilmar suggested.

* * * * *

The warriors were fishing by the river when they heard a roar far away.

They all were perplexed. "The Jaguar? But what...?"

The next moment, they heard gunshots, and a painful roar.

Nyamatiri could not believe it, "Thunder? But the sky is clear!"

Boharati replied worriedly, "No, that sounds like weapons firing." She turned to Iviruti, "What do you think? I think you know something about that."

But the chieftain was not paying attention. She murmured anxiously, "Akiko!", and started running in the direction of the noise.

"Hey! Wait for us!", Boharati called, and ran after her sister-in-law. She was joined right away by the other warriors.

The group quickly caught up with the leader and they all moved slowly and carefully towards the mud pool where the sound of the shots came from; they were sure armed strangers were around and that they could be dangerous.

They walked silently, with the greatest stealth, until they reached a clearing in the forest. They stayed hidden among the vegetation, looking at the wounded man sitting on a log, with the gun at his side and the dead men on the ground.

He seemed to sense the presence of the warriors, because he reached for the weapon. He froze instantly, however, as an arrow whistled just above his head and stuck in the tree behind him. He was greatly surprised when a woman´s voice warned him in Portuguese: "Move away from that gun or the next arrow will go right to your heart!"

The man obeyed and the warriors surrounded him with their arrows and spears ready.

Iviruti asked him in a harsh tone, her tight jaws and the shine in her eyes revealing her anger and anxiety, "You have a lot to explain, but right now, there is something I need to know: Did you see a woman and two men? What happened to them? Where did they go?"

He said nothing, being agitated by the fearsome warriors around him.

Iviruti commanded threateningly, "Come on! Answer!"

"I... I don´t know. A jaguar and her cub attacked us and they ... escaped. My friends went after them."

The chieftain reached a hand to his shoulder and shook him energetically, "Which direction?"

He hesitated for a second and then pointed ,"That way."

The leader still had a question,"So... And how many are your... friends?"

"Two... and armed."

Boharati commented with a smirk, "Yes, we have guessed so... Who are you? What are you doing here?"

Iviruti interrupted her, "We´ll question him later. Now we haven´t got time for this."

Kuniwa, who was exploring the clearing, confirmed Luiz´s words, "I see many footprints here... and these smaller ones must be Akiko´s."

Iviruti nodded, "All right, let´s go!"

"And what shall we do with this man?", Tukuma asked .

The leader thought for a moment, "Tie his hands. We´ll bring him with us. As I said, he´s got a lot to explain."

Boharati said she would take care of that.

* * * * *

Hidden among the forest trees, Akiko and her companions discussed what to do next.

"We could go to the river." Thiago whispered. "We´re near, and Iviruti is there with the other warriors."

"But          these men are armed," Akiko reminded him. "That could be dangerous for our friends."

Sergio expressed his idea, "Let´s go to the village, then."

"Oh, no, that´s exactly what we don´t want," the anthropologist objected, alarmed. "if they follow us there..."

"But if we arrive there first and warn everyone, they would be ready, and the warriors would easily put an end to those criminals."

Akiko was ready to reply, but they all froze, because they heard footsteps approaching.

They saw the two men stop right in front of their hiding place. Sergio and Thiago exchanged a look and jumped them, attacking just with their fists, but the murderers, used to street fights, easily dodged them and counterattacked. They quickly knocked Sergio and Thiago down and threatened them with their guns.

Ayrton said, "Well, now we need to find the woman..."

Gilmar put the gun to Sergio´s head and spoke loudly, "All right, sweetie! Show yourself or we kill your friends!"

Sergio shouted, "Dr Tsurugawa! Don´t do it ! Go away!"

The criminal hit him on the jaw with the butt of the gun, "Shut up, you idiot!"

Akiko appeared, "I´m here... Don´t hurt them!"

Gilmar grinned, "Good! Now stand next to that tree..." He looked at the men, "You too."

Threatened by the firearms, Sergio and Thiago obeyed. Then Gilmar asked his partner in crime for the rope.

"Here it is."

"All right. Tie them to the tree, while I keep them under control."

As they were being tied, Sergio reproached Akiko, "You should have run away!"

"How could I let you down, my friends?"

He insisted, "These men are going to kill us all the same, so now or later, it doesn´t make a difference."

Gilmar commented coldly, "Oh yes, the difference between a quick death or a long, painful one!"

Sergio gulped and stayed silent.

At last, Ayrton secured the knot and said, "I thought your plan was to use them as guides to the village."

"That´s right, but first we can eat and drink something... Aren´t you hungry?

"Well... now that you mention it, yes."

* * * * *

Gilmar and Ayrton had just finished a small meal and were packing their things, when a group of warrior women appeared. One of them, holding a knife, dragged Luiz and commanded fiercely, "Free these people, or I kill your friend."

Akiko murmured, surprised, "Boharati?." Her eyes scanned the warrior´s group intently, looking for Iviruti.

The criminals picked up their guns and aimed at their captives. Gilmar replied with a cruel smile, "Kill him, if you want... But then your friends die, too!"

Boharati gulped, not knowing what to do. Luiz turned pale, his eyes wide with fear. He whispered, "Gilmar... Please!"

But his pleading got no sympathy from his partner who answered coldly, "Oh, you´re not of much use to me now, and if you die, that means a bigger share of the money for us."

He gave out a loud, evil laugh, when suddenly, his face contorted with pain and he gasped for air before falling heavily, his face to the ground, so everyone could see the arrow sticking in his back.

The stunned Ayrton looked for a moment at his dead comrade and then at the tall new warrior who had appeared so mysteriously, now standing in front of him, her bow ready to shoot another arrow.

The criminal aimed his gun at her and yelled in rage, "You... You killed him, bitch!". But before he could shoot, the arrow flew and hit his shoulder.

The other warriors quickly surrounded and disarmed him, while Iviruti cut the ropes and freed her wife and her friends.

Akiko hugged the chieftain, "Oh, Iviruti! It´s so good to see you again and be in your arms!"

"And I am so glad to have you here with me, safe again!"

Sergio and Thiago approached the couple, "We want to thank you for saving us, Senhora Iviruti."

"It is my duty."

Then they turned to the rest of the group, "And of course, we must also thank you all."

Boharati said, "You have been accepted among us; we must defend and protect you. You did the same for us when that woman attacked our village."

Moments later, the prisoners were tied and carefully watched by the warriors, and the group began their trip back to the village.

* * * * *

The group arrived at the village, and brought the criminals to the Council hut. Akiko and her companions brought water, antiseptic lotions, bandages and antibiotics to heal the men´s wounds.

Okavura came to greet the group, "So good you are all here at last! We were worried, because it was getting late and you were not back."

Pumiwi ran to embrace his mother,"Mom!I am so glad you are back!" Other villagers came to greet their family and friends, too.

The Elder saw the two prisoners and asked Iviruti, "What happened? Who are these men?"

The chieftain gave the thugs a harsh look and answered, "That´s what we are going to find out now."

"I am Luiz."

"And my name is Ayrton."

Iviruti nodded, "Good. And why are you here? How did you find our territory?"

Okavura, Boharati and the other warriors listened attentively as Ayrton started to explain, "We were a group of five, and a guy came and gave us money... good money."

Luiz added,"He promised us to pay more for coming here and killing everyone."

The chieftain´s face became somber, "Why did he want you to do that? And how did he know the location of our village?"

"We don´t know why... we never ask as long as there is money", Luiz answered.

"We don´t even know his name. He just gave us a map and showed us how to get to the beach by the river, and said we had to explore and find the village nearby." Ayrton added

Boharati exclaimed angrily, "Oh, I can´t believe that! You MUST know!

Akiko, who had been silent up to that moment tending to the men´s wounds, commented, "No, I think he speaks the truth. It´s convenient for that man not to be known."

Okavura was pensive, "But who could want to do something like that? Kill us? Why?"

The anthropologist explained, "The land... that´s what they want."

Something worried Boharati, "But who knows the way to our village?" She turned to Akiko, "Only you, Sergio and Thiago know it..."

"Are you suggesting Akiko or her friends would betray us?", was Iviruti´s inmediate and harsh reaction.

"Oh, no, not at all! But I wish to know how that man knew the way to come here."

Sergio reflected, "Well, the location of the village is known by FUNAI officers..."

Akiko added, "And also, by the Congress staff working on the protected area plan."

Thiago shook his head in disbelief, "It´s hard to believe one of them would betray us!"

Okavura pondered, "This seems like the plan of someone evil and ambitious."

Iviruti commented, "Someone like Efigênia... but she´s dead."

Boharati interrupted their reflections, "Well, what we have to do now is to decide what to do with these men. According to our laws, they should be executed."

Iviruti looked at her alarmed, "What?"

"It´s the tradition. You know it, Iviruti," Boharati insisted.

Akiko said, "But we should take these men to the police, to be judged! If they are executed, it would be impossible to prove or defend our cause."

"I know what I owe you, but you are a stranger, like them. Why should we trust your justice?"

The anthropologist got angry, "Me, a stranger?! I have earned my place as a hunter, and I married Iviruti. That makes me part of this tribe, and I have the right to speak among you, sisters."

Okavura nodded, "Yes, that is right. And I agree, perhaps we should take these men to the po-lice. Maybe they can find out who sent them".

Iviruti nodded, "I hope so."

Boharati was inflexible, "But we´ve got the right to do justice!"

Akiko replied, "And justice will be done!" She looked around at the other warriors, "It´s just that it won´t be by your hands, sisters." She looked at Boharati, "Maybe you could come with us and see that the men will be taken to prison, and these events investigated."

The warrior thought for a moment, "Humm.... Well, yes, that could be. Sounds good to me."

* * * * *

In their hut, Agarepa's apprentice, Munwapori, was applying herbs and bandaging the wound in the shamaness' shoulder.

"So, Wise Mother, is it all right?"

Agarepa nodded, "Yes, you did a very good job."

"Do you want me to go and ask for help? You know, I saw Akiko use her medicines and they are strong, powerful ones."

"I know, but now they have other things to worry about, and these herbs and medicines we have will do for me."

"Blessed be the Kurupira, the great Mother of the Forest, that this is a shoulder wound. It could have been a more dangerous wound."

"Yes, I know. I'll have to be more careful next time."

The apprentice sighed, "Oh, I hope you'll recover very soon, Wise Mother! I sense the trouble is not over yet."

"You`re right. But now you know what you can do. You won´t need my help for that."

* * * * *

Days later, when the prisoners had recovered, Iviruti decided it was time to take them to the police. She would make the journey with Akiko, Sergio and Thiago, together with the warriors Nyamatiri, Mbenbetari and Awatere. As planned, Boharati was part of the group, too, and since they expected it to be a safe journey, the warrior´s family would go with her.

When the group arrived at the beach by the river, they saw a motor boat approaching. Moments later, the boat stopped and anchored in front of them. A woman, who apparently was the leader, jumped off the boat and walked to the beach.

Akiko was impressed by her cruel, green eyes, although she gave them a smile that was deceptively intended to be friendly and reassuring.

"We come in peace", the stranger said. "I am Maria Neves, the new owner of the fazenda."

The warrors stirred uncomfortably and exchanged looks. The heiress noticed it, and explained, "Yes, I know what my aunt tried to do, but things don´t need to be so."

Iviruti asked wryly, "So, what are you doing here? What do you want?"

"As I said, I come in peace. We can be friends, you know."

"But how did you know this place? How did you get here?" the chieftain asked, while the rest waited in silence for the answer.

"Well... my aunt left a diary, and there I found these coordinates."

The chieftain and her companions were stunned by this information.

Meanwhile, the men on the boat came to the beach, and then Luiz recognized Alcides, "Hey, that´s him! The guy who hired us to kill these people!"

Iviruti and he warriors immediately got their bows ready, aiming at the newcomers.

Alcides protested, "Do you believe them? They are lying!"

Ayrton replied, "No, we remember his face well!"

Maria Neves asked, "Are you sure?"

Luiz exclaimed, "Of course!"

"All right, we´ll take care of that," the landowner said, aiming at Alcides with a pistol. "Come on, you´ll have to tell the judge about your plans with these criminals, and you will go to prison if you are guilty!"

The manager of the fazenda couldn´t believe it, "What? You... you will send me to prison for doing what you commanded me?"

"What I commanded you? What an effrontery!", she replied.

Iviruti exclaimed, "Wait! And how did he get the information to come here to pass on to these murderers?"

Maria Neves shrugged her shoulders, "Who cares?"

"But the data were in your aunt´s diary," Akiko insisted. All the warriors moved closer to each other, keeping their bows ready.

Alcides, already out of his mind, aimed a pistol at Maria Neves, shouting, "I will not go to prison to save your face!"

She commanded him, "Don´t be silly and put that pistol down!"

"Never!"

The heiress warned him, "Do as I tell you, or else..."

Alcides replied defiantly, "Or else what? Are you going to kill me?"

Maria Neves pulled the trigger as did the ranch manager at the same moment. There was a loud explosion, and they both fell to the ground.

"Oh meu Deus!" (Oh, my God!) Akiko exclaimed, horrified.

She ran to the bodies and checked their pulse, "They... they killed each other!"

The men of the fazenda were perplexed. Then one of them advanced a step towards the bodies, attentively watched by the warriors who kept their weapons ready.

The man lifted both hands, "Please, please! I... I don´t want to hurt you! We... we have to take the bodies and bury them."

Iviruti and the warriors did not move. The man continued, "We want no fight! We came in peace... She said this would be a visit. We did not know about her plans!"

Iviruti nodded and put down her bow,"I believe you. You may take the bodies, if you promise you will go to the police and declare what happened here."

"Oh, yes, we promise you that!"

Then the warriors imitated their leader, and the fazenda workers carried the bodies to the boat.

A young adult Jaguar, perched on a big branch and hidden by the foliage, observed the whole scene. After the boat from the fazenda left, carrying the bodies on board, it slowly stretched out its muscles, then nimbly jumped off the tree and disappeared in the thick forest.

* * * * *

Days later, the group returned to the village after their mission, and everyone gathered to welcome then.

Kinuwa said, ""Good you are back! Motokori and I can marry now. We´ll be ready to celebrate in two days."

Iviruti smiled, "And we´ll be happy to share your party. But now, I have good and important news, so we need to gather in the Council hut."

After everyone reunited, the Chieftain said, "You know, we took those killers to the Po- lice, which Boharati and the rest can confirm."

The warrior assented, "Yes, the criminals are in prison. They got what they deserved."

"But there is another thing: Akiko heard from her friends in Manaos, and they told her the project of the protected area will be voted on and is expected to be approved. It is very important that Akiko and I are present when it happens."

They all were surprised. "So, you will be leaving again?" asked Nyamatiri.

Iviruti nodded, "Yes. And, like last time, I will trust Okavura to take care of everything."

Tukuma said, "I hope this project is approved, so there will be no more strangers attacking us."

Akiko nodded, "I hope so, too."

* * * * *

Iviruti, Akiko , Serio and Thiago went to Manaos first. Once in the town, they visited the FUNAI office to make the arrangements for their trip to Brasilia.

This time, Iviruti felt more relaxed and comfortable when boarding the plane, since she had already experienced flying.

In Brasilia, they attended many meetings including the one with the parliament where the project was debated. They embraced each other happily when the voting was over and the Kawapore reservation was finally approved by law by a great majority.

They were invited to the Palacio da Alvorada, the President´s Residence, to witness the signing of the law by the President. And then they were received in the Press room by President Dilma Rousseff, her Secretary, the Minister of Internal Affairs and other important officials, as well as representatives of the other native nations.

The President shook hands with Iviruti and Akiko and addressed them with a brief speech, "I am glad to receive you here, Senhora Iviruti, as leader of the Kawapore, and I thank you very much for coming. I also want to thank you, Dr. Tsurugawa, because your studies and your effort allowed us to meet the Kawapore and know their life and culture, and you worked to make this law possible. So, it makes me really happy that you are present now when I am to sign this act that will ensure the Kawapore will live in peace in their land, according to their own traditions."

All the attendants at the ceremony applauded when Mrs. Rousseff ended her speech and signed the law.

* * * * *

After their trip to Brasilia, Akiko and Iviruti spent some days in Sao Paulo, visiting the anthropologist´s family, and then they returned to Manaos before going back to the Kawapore village.

Before leaving the city, Akiko invited Sergio, Thiago and Senhor De Sousa to a dinner in her appartment, as she wanted to celebrate with them the passing and signing of the law protecting the Kawapore´s land.

That evening, the guests arrived and were cheerfully received by Akiko and Iviruti. Then, after the dinner, Senhor De Sousa handed an envelope to the anthropologist, "By the way, I almost forgot! Dr. Tsurugawa, this is a letter for you."

She looked at the sender´s address, "Oh! What´s this? From the "escola do samba"Portela?"

A puzzled Iviruti asked, while Akiko opened the letter, "Escola do samba? What´s that?"

"A group of people who wear costumes, sing and dance", Thiago explained.

Akiko nodded, "Yes, and here they invite us to join them in the Carnaval parade! Their subject this year has to do with the importance of women in society, and so they thought of Iviruti and me."

Thiago asked, "Well, what are you going to do, then?"

"We´ll go, of course!" Then she looked at Iviruti, "I mean, if you agree..."

"But, what do they want us to do? I don´t quite understand..."

"Carnaval is a big celebration. People dance and sing... that´s what we´ll have to do", the anthropologist cleared out her spouse´s doubts.

"Dance and sing? Well, if it is a celebration and they invite us, I think we can go."

Akiko beamed, "Well, it´s settled, then. We´ll go to Rio de Janeiro next february ."

Thiago started beating a rhythm on the rim of the coffee cup with the spoon, and Sergio´s finger and palms drummed on the table.

They looked at Akiko, "Well, Dr. Tsurugawa, what are you waiting for? You should teach Senhora Iviruti how to sambar." (Sambar: dance the "samba")

Then they started singing as the anthropologist showed her loved one the samba steps. Iviruti learnt quickly, moving gracefully to the lively rythm.

SERGIO :Tamborim avisou, cuidado,   
(The drum warned," Beware!")

THIAGO: Violão respondeu, me espera,
(The guitar answered, "Wait for me!")

S: Cavaquinho* atacou, dobrado,

(The "cavaquinho" attacked a double beat);

T: Quando o apito chegou, já era.
(when the whistle arrived, all was ready.)

S: Veio o surdo e bateu, tão forte,
(The big drum beat so loudly)

T: Que a cuíca** gemeu, de medo,
(that the "cuica" moaned in fear)

T :E o pandeiro dançou, que sorte,

(and the tambourin danced in such way,)

S: Fazer samba não é brinquedo.
(that making a samba is not a game.)

Akiko joined them to sing the refrain:

Todo mês de fevereiro, morena
(Every month of February,brunette),

Carnaval te espera
(Carnaval awaits you).

Querem te botar feitiço, morena
(They want to spell a cast on you, brunette,)

Mas também pudera.
(and if that could be!)

And then the men shut up, letting her sing solo:

Se ele pega no teu corpo
(If it gets into your body,)

Vai ter gente enlouquecida
(people will get crazy)

Querendo entender a tua dança
(trying to understand your dance,)

Querendo saber da tua vida.
(wanting to know about your life)

(Lyrics of the song "Alô, Fevereiro"

Thiago smiled, "Well, that was good, Dr. Tsurugawa!"

Sergio turned to Iviruti and commented admiringly, "As for you, with a bit of practice you could be the Rainha da Batería.*** "

*Cavaquinho: a kind of small guitar, with five strings.

**Cuica: it is a small drum, but the sound is not obtained by beating, but by rubbing the membrane from inside with a bamboo stick and a wet cloth.

***Rainha da Bateria: Queen of the Percussion Band. Each scola has with its musicians and a percussion group. The Queen parades dancing in front of them, and, of course, she must not only be young, gorgeous and sexy, but also a good dancer!)

* * * * *

Days later, Iviruti, Akiko, Sergio and Thiago were back in the Kawapore village.

Okavura and the other warriors welcomed them, "Oh, how good you are here, Iviruti! There is good news."

"What is it?"

Mbenbetari smiled, "I am pregnant."

Iviruti gently hugged her, "Oh, that makes me so happy!"

Akiko added cheerfully, "Congratulations to you and Anangura!"

The chieftain announced, "And I also bring good news, now we won´t have trouble anymore. Akiko´s people declared our land will be a sanctuary. No stranger is allowed to hunt or fish here, and they cannot cut down trees, either. All these resources are for us."

The warriors nodded approvingly, "Good!"

"There is another thing I have to tell you, sisters: Akiko and I will have to leave in a while. We were invited to participate in a celebration called Carnaval."

Boharati, always the curious one, asked, "Carnaval? But what do they celebrate?"

"Err... It´s a festival to celebrate prosperity and fertility, and to propitiate the spirits for a good year." Akiko explained.

Motokotori asked Iviruti, "And only you and Akiko were invited?

"Well... yes. Why do you ask?"

This time Kinuwa answered before her wife could speak, "If Akiko´s people are celebrating, we would like to participate too."

Nyamatiri added, "Yes, it would have been nice if they had invited us!"

Iviruti´s face became sad, "Oh, yes, you´re right!"

Akiko said happily, "But that is no problem! Everyone is welcome; there is no need to be invited!"

Kinuwa was doubtful, "Really?"

Sergio assured her, "Oh yes, anyone can join the escola de samba and come dance and sing.*"

The young warriors cheered, "Good!"

Iviruti turned to Boharati, "And you? Will you come with us? "

"Oh, I would like to, but if we all go, the village will remain empty!"

"Hummm... That´s right. We need to find a solution."

*That is right. Anyone, even a tourist, can enlist in an escola de samba and participate.

* * * * *

That February night, a huge crowd of cariocas* and tourists filled the Sambodromo in Rio de Janeiro, anxious to enjoy the Carnaval parade.

Okavura sat on a first row seat in the guests' stage watching the cheerful spectacle while Akiko, Iviruti and a group of young warriors participated in the parade riding on a fancy cart, accompanied by other revelers of the "escola de samba" wearing bright and colourful costumes and headdresses. They all sang and danced to the beat of the music:

Mulher à Brasileira (Women Brazilian way)

Composer: Luiz Ayrão

Luiz Ayrão

Coisa linda, maravilhosamente bela

É o tema que a Portela esse ano escolheu

Mulher: avó, a mãe, a irmã, a companheira

Branca, negra, índia, guerreira

o carnaval é seu

Linda morena, loirinha, dos olhos claros de cristal

mulata que o cabelo que não nega

são as rainhas do meu carnaval

Lá, laiá...

No campo ou nas cidades,

no morro ou no asfalto

nas mais diversas atividades

a mulher vai falando mais alto

com raça, talento e um jeitinho à brasileira

faz muito mais que fez oculta a história inteira

por ontem, por hoje, por amanhã

coisa linda o Brasil é seu fã

Vai, vai, Portela

mais charmosa e mais faceira

exaltar na passarela

a mulher brasileira

(Translation)

Pretty thing of awesome beauty,

She´s the subject that Portela* chose this year.

Woman: grandmother, the mother, the sister, the companion,

White, Black, Indian, warrior:

carnaval is hers.

Pretty brunette; little blonde with crystal-clear eyes ;

mulatto girl with a hair that doesn´t deny her origins:

they are the queens of my carnaval.

Lá, laiá...

In the country or in the city,

in the hill or on the asphalt,

in the most different activities,

women are speaking louder.

with race, talent and her special way the Brazilian woman

does so much more that is hidden by history,

for yesterday, for today, for tomorrow:

pretty thing, Brazil is in debt with her.

Go, go, Portela

the most charming and splendorous,

and exalt on the runway

the Brazilian women.

*Cariocas: people from Rio de Janeiro.

*Portela is the name of the "scola de samba". This song was actually performed during the carnaval celebrations, though I don´t know exactly when. Every year, the groups of the "Scolas do Samba" have to choose a subject for their presentation, and they enlist the best writers and musicians they can find.

Carnaval parades are not just for fun, but a contest. Judges choose the best "Scola", but there are also prizes for the best concept, the best dresses, the best music and lyric and the best percussion band.

* * * * *

EPILOGUE

Agarepa and Munwapori were in their hut, burning aromatic herbs and chanting prayers.

When the ceremony came to an end they exchanged a smile.

"Well, now we can be in peace. There is no threat to our people, and our life will go on as always," the shamaness said.

"Yes, the future now looks bright and happy: Mbenbetari will soon have her baby, a group of our sisters are celebrating carnaval with Iviruti and Akiko... Unfortunately, the ones who had to stay behind were not so happy."

Agarepa nodded, "I know. But it was agreed that they will go next year. Everyone will have their turn, as it is fair."

The apprentice added, "And we can hope that Iviruti and Akiko will be happy and live together for many, many years."

THE END

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page

o Samba" have to choose a subject for their presentation, and they enlist the best writers and musicians they can find.

Carnaval parades are not just for fun, but a contest. Judges choose the best "Scola", but there are also prizes for the best concept, the best dresses, the best music and lyric and the best percussion band.

* * * * *

EPILOGUE

Agarepa and Munwapori were in their hut, burning aromatic herbs and chanting prayers.

When the ceremony came to an end they exchanged a smile.

"Well, now we can be in peace. There is no threat to our people, and our life will go on as always," the shamaness said.

"Yes, the future now looks bright and happy: Mbenbetari will soon have her baby, a group of our sisters are celebrating carnaval with Iviruti and Akiko... Unfortunately, the ones who had to stay behind were not so happy."

Agarepa nodded, "I know. But it was agreed that they will go next year. Everyone will have their turn, as it is fair."

The apprentice added, "And we can hope that Iviruti and Akiko will be happy and live together for many, many years."

THE END

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page