After they all finished eating, the adults gathered in the living room and the kids all went upstairs to the guest bedroom, where the video game system was set up. Only the babies remained downstairs, once again claimed by Josie and Andy.

Miranda found herself surrounded by her siblings again.

How long can you stay, Miriam?” Daniel had missed his sister terribly. She hadn't been in the country for any length of time for the last thirty years, but even for ten years before that she'd been off on her own. He knew in his heart this was his little sister, but she was also almost a stranger. He wanted to get to know this person, get to know his sister again.

Andrea and I will be leaving Wednesday morning.” She smiled and patted his hand. “I must return to work, and so must Andrea.”

I thought you were the big boss there.” Samuel spoke with the impression of disbelief. “You can't take a few days to visit your family?”

She is.”

All eyes turned toward Andy, who spoke to the baby in her arms, in baby talk, but loudly enough for them all to hear. “Yes, Miranda is the big boss at Runway, yes she is... and she's taking a few days off just to visit her family... isn't that great? Yes...”

Don't speak to me as if I were a child!” How dare this...girl... His angry thoughts were stopped cold at Tante's voice.

Then stop acting like one.” The older woman sighed at her nephew's attitude. “Miriam can't just take off work whenever she wants, no one can do that!”

Andy saw a bit of pink dusting Miranda's cheeks, and Andy knew why. Yes she can. Andy now realized that none of Miranda's family really understood how wealthy or powerful Miranda actually was. Miranda had gone to great lengths to shelter her family from the celebrity life she led. No one knew anything about Miranda's family, no one ever mentioned them in articles or published pictures of them. Miranda always kept her private life, private.

Turning her attention back to the child in her arms, Andy smiled at the baby and laughed when the little girl made a goofy face. A distinctive scent reached her nose. “Whoops...” Searching the room, Andy found Dinah and held up the child. “I think she needs... attention...of the diaper variety.”

Josie chuckled and whispered, “Coward.”

Shaking her head, Andy passed the child to her mother and winked, whispering to Josie. “The best thing about other people's kids is that you can play with them then give them back for the icky parts.” She patted the woman's thigh as she rose from her seat and stretched. “Plus I'm beginning to get sleepy, which is weird because it's like, two in the afternoon at home.” and I just had a nap.

Travel can play havoc with your internal clock, darling.” Miranda suggested. “Should we return to the hotel?”

Oh... so soon?” Asher mirrored his brother's stricken look.

It's been quite a long day.”

Will we see you tomorrow?” Natalie too had been missing her sister. She at least had talked to Miranda occasionally on the phone but seeing her in person was actually quite nice.

I assumed you would all be at work.” Miranda also stood. “I had planned to take Andrea around London, sightseeing.”

Maybe,” Andy spoke up as she moved to stand beside Miranda, “maybe we could meet for lunch somewhere?”

Mmmm...” Miranda knew most people didn't have very long for lunch where they worked. “Perhaps dinner?”

Tante Louise stood and motioned for Miranda to sit. “You all discuss it.” She linked her arm with Andy's. “We'll go make a nice cup of tea before you go.”

Andy looked back over her shoulder and was surprised as Miranda sat back down, shrugging in resignation. Tante's will was apparently law in this family. Allowing herself to be led into the kitchen, Andy stood as Tante began to prepare the drink by filling a kettle with water and putting it on the stove. Andy felt it was too quiet and broke the silence. “Miranda very rarely has tea with me, she prefers coffee.”

The older woman scoffed. “Nonsense, she loves tea.” Turning to face the young woman, Louise gestured for her to sit at the table. “I'm sure she just can't get a properly made cuppa anywhere.”

Properly made?” Andy smiled. It's just tea...

Nodding, the woman snorted. “You probably think running lukewarm water over a teabag is how you do it.” She shook her head at the expression on Andrea's face and sighed. “Watch me... to learn the proper way.”

Andy watched as the woman swirled a bit of boiling water from the kettle around the teapot, then dumped that water. She watched as scoops of loose tea were measured into the warmed teapot. The water in the kettle, that had been reboiled, was poured in. The teapot and several cups were placed on a tray that she was instructed to carry into the living room. She was very careful with it because she knew the water in the teapot was boiling or very near it.

When they got to the living room, Andy set the tray down on the coffee table and Tante poured a cup of tea immediately for Miranda. “Here you are Miriam, a properly prepared cuppa.”

Miranda took the cup and saucer. “Thank you, Tante,” she sipped the liquid, immediately her eyes closed in a rapturous look that Andy had seen quite often, but very few others that she was aware of had been privy to. My god, that's nearly boiling, how can she stand it? Suddenly the editor's preference for center-of-the-sun-hot coffee wasn't so outrageous.

Try it, Andrea,” Miranda smiled. “See what a real cup of tea tastes like.”

Do you take sugar, luv?” Natalie asked and at Andy's nod scooped sugar into two cups, pouring for each of them.

Thank you,” Andy accepted the cup Natalie handed her and looked at the light brown liquid dubiously, imagining she could actually see the bubbles still present. “I don't think I can drink it this hot.”

Mmmm...” Natalie took a sip of hers and nodded. “Good stuff.”

Let it cool for a bit, mate.” Asher poured himself a cup. “The hot thing isn't for everyone.”

Josie poured herself a cup and nodded as she set it aside to cool. “I've never gotten used to it.”

So what did you decide about tomorrow?” Tante Louise raised her own cup to her lips, waiting for the response.

We decided on dinner, but not where.” Daniel scratched his chin, thinking.

Um...” Andy spoke quietly. “I know I haven't seen much of the city yet, but, today when we were at Harrod's there was an Italian place across the street that smelled delicious.”

Signor Sassi,” Asher brightened. “They have great food!”

Perfect,” Miranda smiled at Andrea, “and it's not far from the hotel.” She watched the brunette take out her iPhone and begin to search for something online.

Where are you staying?” Natalie had wondered that earlier.

Miranda answered coolly, “The Milestone.”

In Kensington?!” Asher grinned wider. “Brilliant.” They all had good jobs and made decent wages, but of them all, although Samuel would argue against it, Asher thought Miriam had amassed the greater fortune. He'd always said she would, but now, after meeting Andrea, he was sure his sister had done the best out of all of them, in the game of life.

Miranda rolled her eyes. Sometimes she thought her brothers didn't act their ages, at least, Asher didn't. “It's a very nice hotel.”

It is beautiful.” Andy continued her online business but glanced up and chuckled at Asher's expression. “And it's right across the street from Hyde Park, so I get to run in the morning.”

He blinked. “You run?” His mouth fell open at the thought of this young woman, chest heaving, sweat beading...

Mmmm... Andrea sticks to a healthy workout routine.” Miranda lifted her hand and four fingers under Asher's chin closed the man's mouth gently. “Control yourself, Asher...” Patting his cheek, Miranda chuckled and leaned in to whisper in the man's ear. “Mine.”

Andy's thumb hovered over a button on her phone and met Miranda's eyes. “Okay, dinner reservations for ten at Signor Sassi, tomorrow night at seven?” Everyone seemed okay with that and when Miranda nodded, Andy pushed the confirm button. “Done.”

Excellent.” Miranda took a deep breath, loving Andrea's efficiency, loving Andrea. “We should probably be going.” As she stood, her brothers stood as well. Daniel was the first to hug her.

I'll see you tomorrow night.” He smiled and didn't hide the tear in his eye.

Me too.” Asher enveloped her in a hug as well. “It's so good to see you again.”

Daniel had moved to Andrea and quickly hugged her goodbye as well, so Asher also wrapped the young woman in a friendly hug.

Miranda said her goodbyes to Natalie and cleared her throat as Asher continued his hold on Andrea far longer than necessary. Her voice was low, warning. “Asher...”

He tensed and released Andy slowly, grinning as he did. “Sorry.”

Andy laughed and reached up, touching his cheek with her fingertips, then leaned in and kissed his other cheek lightly. “Just don't let it happen again.” She whispered. “She'll kick your a...uh... tukhus.”

His eyes widened and he looked over at Miranda. Swallowing hard at the expression on his sister's face, Asher nodded. “Right.”

Tante Louise stood back until everyone was finished. She approached Andrea first. “It was very nice to meet you, young woman.”

Thank you.” Andy bent at the waist and wrapped her arms around the older woman's shoulders. “I'm so happy to meet you as well.”

Nodding, Tante turned to face her wayward niece. “Miriam, I'm glad you were here.”

Me too, Tante.” Miranda hugged the woman tightly. “I've missed you.”

Until tomorrow then.” Louise released her hold and stepped back. “Good night.”

The door closed behind them as they walked, arm in arm to the waiting car. “They're nice people, Miranda,” Andy leaned into the older woman, “I like them.”

They like you too,” Miranda growled, “Especially Asher.”

Andy laughed, “He's a sweetheart.”

He's impossible!” Miranda helped Andrea into the car and slid in next to her. “He can't possibly think...” Suddenly Miranda's words were stopped by Andrea's warm lips pressing against her own.

I've wanted to do that all evening.” Andy sighed and moved back in, recapturing Miranda's incredible mouth.

Mmm...” Pulling away from the kiss, Miranda rested her forehead against Andrea's, “Ich hob deer leib.”

Andy whispered back. “I love you too.”

You understood that?” Miranda's eyes accused Andrea of keeping secrets from her, until the young woman shook her head.

No, but I always know when you're telling me you love me.” Andy smiled softly. “I can hear it in your voice, see it in your eyes.” She tucked the older woman's head against her shoulder. “You were scared.” Andy smiled as brief tension passed through Miranda. “Why didn't you just tell me?”

I don't know.” Miranda sighed. “It took me by surprise. Natalie didn't tell me that Tante was back in the country. She hasn't been here for years.”

Andy nodded and repeated. “You were scared.” Draping her arm over the older woman's shoulder, Andy squeezed slightly.

Miranda snuggled into the embrace, resting her head on Andrea's shoulder. “Imagine if Pava had not approved of us.”

But...” She did, I knew she would.

Just imagine if you didn't know your Gram would approve, if you thought that when she found out she would look at you and be... repulsed, or worse, disappointed.” Miranda took a deep breath. “I didn't know how Tante would react... I, wasn't... sure.”

She means a lot to you.” Andy kissed Miranda's temple. “I'm glad she liked me.”

I was closer to her than I was to Mother.” Miranda admitted, “and I'm extremely relieved that she was so accepting.”

Closer than her mother? Good grief, and all I saw was a bit of tension. I'd have been a basket case and been babbling my head off from nervous energy. Miranda was completely the opposite of that though, when she got nervous or scared, she barely spoke at all. She can't do that for long though, it builds up and breaks out at the wrong times. Andy knew that tendency had a lot to do with her fiancee's 'Dragon Lady' persona... in the beginning, when she was new to Runway, new to New York, new to America, Miranda was probably scared quite a bit, about a lot of things. The thought of Runway made her gasp.

What is it, Darling?” Miranda pulled away from their embrace slightly to look up into Andrea's face. She blinked at the horrified expression she found. “What?”

In a very quiet, almost disbelieving voice, Andy whispered. “Nigel never called you back.”

Mmmm...” Miranda put her head back down. “I am aware.”

But...”

I'm sure if anything critical was happening he would either call and inform me, or be busy dealing with it. Either way, I'll call again when we reach the hotel.”

Okay, that's weird. Andy could barely believe Miranda was being so calm about it. No one ignored her, especially no one at Runway, not even Nigel. “Are you okay?”

Of course, I'm fine.” Miranda lifted one of Andrea's hands, pressing it against her own forehead. “See, no fever.”

Miranda,” Andy exhaled slowly, “you know what I mean.”

Yes, I know.” Miranda shifted and sat up. She found her phone and dialed quickly. She knew Andrea thought she was calling Nigel, which is why she winked at the young woman when the connection was made and she greeted the person on the other end of the call. “Hello, Bobbsey! How was lunch with you grandmother?”

Andy laughed at Miranda's duplicity, but her message was clear. This trip was for family, Runway was second.

Andy looked at the woman on the phone and literally felt her heart swelling with love. It was incredible and the reality of their relationship reached out and grabbed her. It happened every once in a while, the whole situation took on a surreal quality for a moment and she had a hard time believing it, believing that Miranda Priestly, the Miranda Priestly loved her, and allowed Andy to love her back. She loved it when it happened though, because it was like the first time she realized it was real all over again.

She's gonna marry me.

###

Andy had spoken to the girls quickly, telling them how great things were here and how much she loved them and missed them then returned the phone to Miranda.

Miranda was still on the phone with the twins when the car stopped in front of the hotel. Andy sighed as she spotted a small gaggle of people with cameras around their necks. “It begins”, she murmured and gestured out the window.

Following the motion, Miranda sighed, “Ah well, it took them longer than I thought it would.” She spoke into the phone. “I have to go, Bobbsey, we're at the hotel.” She smiled into the phone. “I love you too, my darlings...” She disconnected the call and took a deep breath. “Ready?”

Andy nodded. The car door opened and the horde descended on them. They made it through the flashes, no questions though. These were not reporters, they were true paparazzi. All these people cared about was getting the picture, it was up to whoever bought them to put the story to them.

Much to their amazement the photographers didn't follow them inside the building. When they reached the privacy of their room, Andy sighed. “Well that was fun.” Andy twisted her arm to reach the zipper on her dress. “I hope they got my good side.”

Andrea, ” Miranda pushed a wayward lock of hair out of her eyes and relaxed back into the chair. “I've told you before, you don't have a bad side.”

Andy chuckled. Setting on the arm of the chair, Andy traced Miranda's upturned face. “Neither do you.”

You're biased, my love.”

Of course I am.” Andy grinned and leaned down to kiss the woman lightly. “But that doesn't make it not true.”

Miranda laughed. “You are so ridiculous sometimes.”

Yeah, okay,” Andy grinned, “I do believe there is a sweet jacuzzi tub in the other room...” she pulled the older woman up and wrapped her arms around Miranda's waist, laughing, “...what do you say we go try it out and I can see all your sides. I promise to be completely objective in my evaluation.”

You truly are brilliant sometimes.”

Andy laughed. “Yeah, well... you are pretty much genius all the time... I'm just trying to keep up, Boss.”

Miranda pulled Andy closer. “Do you really mean that?”

Deep ridges formed between Andy's eyes. “Uh... yeah, you're insanely brilliant Miranda. I have no idea how you retain all the information, organize it in your head and make anything useful out of it. I'm in awe of you every day.”

Miranda didn't speak, but she pulled Andrea closer, bringing their lips together in a crushing kiss.

Miranda?”

Come with me.” Leading the young woman to the bathroom and the waiting tub, Miranda sighed. “I've been meaning to tell you something... I suppose now is as good a time as any.”

It was what this trip was for after all, for Andrea to get to know her better. It wasn't something she had ever wanted to admit to the young woman, but Miranda knew, it would be best to clear the air now, before the wedding, while Andrea could still change her mind.


To be continued