###

“Hey girls!”  Andy took the steps upstairs two at a time to the TV room, oddly enough to find the girls reading. “I'm gonna take a quick shower, you wanna watch a movie before we head off to the airport?”

“Sure,” Cassidy closed her book immediately, “You want a comedy or what?”

“Yeah,” Andy grinned, “I seem to recall one, an old one, with Molly Ringwald... it was like... there was a wedding and all the grandparents were at the house... find that one and I'll be right back.”

Caroline's eyes narrowed at the empty doorway where Andy had stood, “Why does she want to watch Sixteen Candles?”

Cassidy shrugged, “I dunno... maybe she's just got weddings on the brain but it is a funny movie.”  She asked absently as she looked through the DVD collection, “Is it too early for popcorn?”

“Yes!”  Caroline made a sound of annoyance, “Good grief, it's not even eight o'clock in the morning yet.”

“Right.” Cassidy pulled the correct movie off the shelf, “Ah well, it's still a good movie.”

They waited the few minutes it took for Andy to 'hose off' as she called it, then they all settled on the couch to watch. 

Andy found it interesting that both girls seemed to think the blatant sexual innuendo was hilarious and was slightly shocked that they seemed to understand the not so blatant references.  It was a funny movie though and at the end of it, Andy shook her head. “Why do parties in movies always end up trashing the house?”

Both girls shrugged.  Cassidy answered, “Makes for a good movie, I suppose.”

“Mmm...”

“Haven't you ever been to a party like that?”  Caroline thought Andy might have been a little wild when she was younger.

“Uh... well...” Biting her lip, Andy admitted, “Once.”  As the girls' faces lit up she spoke quickly, “but it was in college!”  Pointing to the screen, Andy laughed, “Those kids were in high school!”

“Sometimes movies get things right though...”  Caroline sighed and stood to put the disc away.

“I guess,”  Andy admitted and watched Caroline with twinkling eyes, “Luckily our family isn't quite as dysfunctional as theirs... for instance, no matter what else was going on, Miranda and I would never forget your birthday.”  She grinned as Caroline stopped in her tracks.

Turning to face the brunette, Caroline blinked, “What?”

“Your birthday... geez Caroline, did you forget??”  Andy grinned wider, “It's only three weeks away you know?”

“Well I know!”  The girl sighed, “I thought you'd forgotten.”

“That... well, that's my fault.” She bumped shoulders with Cassidy, “After I asked you guys what kind of party you thought you might like, I discussed it with Miranda, and then what do you think Miranda did??”

“Oh man!”  Cassidy laughed, “Of course, she dropped it in Emily's lap!”

Caroline rolled her eyes, “Oh no!  I should have known...”

Andy nodded, “Yep, and once Em got hold of it, we really didn't mention it anymore.”

“So... what's the scoop?”  Caroline moved back to sit next to Andy, “What kind of food will there be?  Where's it going to be?  Will there be a DJ... dancing?”

Nodding to all that, Andy evaded the food question, “I'm sure the food will be wonderful, it's going to be at... I think she said it was a dance studio, they rent it for parties and movie shoots.”

“A dance studio?” Cassidy grinned, “Cool! Just like from Twilight.”

Andy nodded, “Em said there was a lot of room to dance, and she said the DJ was 'hot', some kind of new talent on the scene... I think Em said she'd just moved here from California... Carmen?”

“O.M.G.  West Coast Carmen is going to DJ at our party?!” Cassidy laughed, “Awesome!”  She glanced across at her sister, “Let Allison suck on that!”

“Hey! Language!”  Andy tried to be stern, but chuckled a little, “Be nice.”

“No,” Caroline admitted, “That's gonna kill Allison.”

“Mmm... maybe you shouldn't invite her then?”  Andy laughed louder at the expression on Caroline's face, “or maybe you should...”  Wrapping her arms around both girls' shoulders, she shook them gently, “I tossed each of your packets of invitations on your beds.  Ten each... invite whoever you want.”

“Cool!”  Both girls stood to go get the cards right now.  Andy called after them.

“We have to be going to the airport in just a little while, Roy will be here with the car soon.”

“Yeah.” and “Okay.” echoed down the hall as each girl went to their respective rooms to retrieve the all important invitations. “Thanks, Ma!”

Andy chuckled as duel squeals sounded down the stairway.  That is exactly the sound I wanted to make when I saw the printed wedding invitations. She wanted to call Miranda, but knew she had meetings all day so instead she lay her head back on the couch and closed her eyes, thinking about the woman she loved.  The picture of loving blue eyes framed with that stray lock of white hair made her smile. 

Miranda's gonna marry me and I'm really going to be their Ma!

###

Richard looked over the document in his hands for the fiftieth time.  He was still seething that Dorothy had left this morning, against his explicit wishes.  Could she not see how wrong this whole situation was, how it was going to ruin their daughter's life?

“Your ten o'clock is here, Mr. Sachs.”

With a deep breath, Richard ran his hand through his graying hair and nodded as he pushed the intercom button. “Send them in, Grace.”  He was in the midst of standing when the last person he ever expected to walk through his door, walked through his door.  Stopped mid-motion, he wasn't sure what to do next.

“My hair is quite distinctive, but I'm not exactly Medusa,”  Miranda took a seat in front of his desk and it immediately felt as though this was her office, not his.  She gestured to the chair he was half out of, “Have a seat, Richard, we have some things to discuss.”

“How dare you come here?”  He kept his voice low.  Making a scene at his office was not something he would ever do.

“I am here, because I love your daughter, and your actions are hurting her.”  Miranda reached into her purse and drew out her glasses, holding them in her hand as she also retrieved a folded legal document. When he didn't respond to that, she continued, “The wedding is coming up soon, and I'm under the impression that you will not be attending, much less walking Andrea down the aisle...”  Miranda pinned him with a glare as he scoffed at that idea, then continued as if he hadn't interrupted, “... therefore, since you are going to fail to act as a father, I was hoping you could at least manage to act like a lawyer.”  She handed the document to him and waited.

“A prenuptial agreement?” Richard furrowed his forehead as he scanned the document. “This says Andy gets nothing!”

Nodding, Miranda agreed, “Yes, Andrea has been very adamant about that.  She wants none of my assets, continually saying that when the time comes the girls should inherit  the estate.”  Miranda held up her hand at the outrage beginning to form on the man's face, outrage on behalf of his daughter, his daughter that he loved. “It is a sentiment I do not share.” Miranda let a tiny smile twitch the edges of her lips and gestured to the document, “Read it again.”

Narrowing his eyes at her for a moment, Richard turned his attention back to the document, this time not just scanning it.  Paragraph after paragraph his eyes widened and by the end of the document his mouth had fallen open slightly, “I...”  He looked up at the older woman, “Do you know what this really says?”

Nodding, Miranda exhaled slowly, “Of course.  It says exactly what I told my lawyer I wanted it to say.  As you can see, I've already signed it.”  She smiled and lied, “I always get what I want, Mr. Sachs.”

His stomach turned, knowing that what this woman wanted was his daughter.  “Why are you showing me this?”

“Andrea is troubled by the rift between you.  I want only to ease that burden.”  Miranda pulled a small rectangular folder from her purse, “If you bring that to her, to sign, she will do it without looking too closely at it.  Were she to discover the actual undertones and meaning of the passages, she would not sign it.”  She paused to remember the near argument she'd caused when she'd shown a similar document to Andrea. The young woman was clever and had quickly seen through the legalese wording. Miranda stood and told him what he needed to do, what she wanted him to do, “Bring it to her, argue with her that it isn't right, tell her what it says on initial inspection, push her not to sign it... and she will, without question.” 

“You want me to manipulate her into signing...”

“I want what is best for her.” Miranda dropped her glasses back in her purse and clicked it shut. “This is the best thing for her and we both know it.  Be a father, Richard, do what is right for your daughter.” She dropped the airline ticket on his desk, “This is a limited time offer.”  Miranda turned to leave when Richard's voice stopped her.

“You flew all the way here from New York, just to give me this?”  He met the fashion icon's eyes, “Why?”

“Because I love your daughter, Mr. Sachs.  We have that in common, you and I.”  Miranda sighed, “She loves you and your continued absence is hurting her.  You won't stop us from marrying each other, but I would prefer if she at least thought she had your blessing, because it will make her happy.” Miranda licked her lips and informed him, “There are exactly three people in this entire world who's happiness I care about, more than my own, Andrea is one of them.” She paused to allow him time to process that statement, then continued, “As I said, if you cannot act like a father, at least try to be a lawyer.  As you can see, I have some fairly competent lawyers on my payroll, so you might want to think about trying that father role, if you feel up to it.”  Without another word, Miranda left the office.

Richard watched her go then shook his head, for a moment he thought he'd dreamed it all, but then he caught the lingering scent of Miranda's distinctive perfume and looked at the document in his hands.  It was amazing, on first glance it looked like Andy would get nothing out of this 'marriage', should it dissolve, but as he had read it closely he realized that Miranda intended for Andrea to be extremely well taken care of no matter what happened to the 'marriage'.  He picked up the airline ticket and noticed the dates. Limited time offer... The ticket was only good until the day of the wedding.  He felt the weight of that deadline on his shoulders.  What can I do, he thought.  How can I convince my baby that she's making a mistake?  Toying with the ticket in his hand, he ground his teeth together.  He hated feeling as though he was being rushed into a decision.  That was one of Miranda's tactics, he realized, she forced people make snap decisions in order for them to more easily make the decision in her favor.  After another moment of thought, Richard began to smile, a plan was forming; like it did when he had a case that was seemingly impossible to win.  He didn't know exactly what he was going to do yet, but now that he started thinking of the situation as a court case, he felt much better.  His track record of late in regards to his children wasn't exactly stellar, but as far as work went Richard knew that he was very good at his chosen profession.  He always won when the stakes were high.  Glancing at a framed picture on his desk, ten year old Andy smiled at him, Richard nodded to himself and thought, These are the highest stakes ever.  He smiled at the picture, at his baby.

 ###

“Ma! Gram!” “Grandma!” Andy grinned and enveloped the shorter woman in a hug before relinquishing claim to the girls.  She turned to give the taller older woman a squeeze.

“Well this is different,” Pava laughed as she watched the girls attach themselves to Dorothy, “I've always been the Grandma!”

Andy laughed, leaving her arm around her Gram's shoulder, “You always will be!”

She looked at the third visitor and smiled, “Nice to see you again, Mrs. King...” She felt Gram wince and grimaced a bit herself.  “I.. um... “ 

“It's okay dear,” the woman took a deep breath, “I was Mrs. King for almost fifty years, when people call me that now... it just feels, normal.  You are more than welcome to call me Mary though, if you prefer.”

Nodding, Andy gave the woman a friendly hug, “How was your flight?”

“Not bad,” Mary laughed, she'd been nervous about the flight for no reason, “You know it's not that far from here.”

“That's right,”  Dorothy laughed, “A couple of hours in the air and you could be home.”

Andy rolled her eyes as both girls looked up at her, “Ma, home is a twenty-five minute car ride from here.” she winked at the girls, and continued talking to her mother, “But I get what you're saying... maybe we'll try to get back to Cincinnati a little more often.”  Running her fingers through her hair, Andy asked, “Do you guys have luggage checked?”

They all chuckled and Gram responded, indicating their carry-on bags with a wry grin. “Darlin', you are talking to three women traveling for an undetermined amount of time.  It is safe to say, we have luggage.”

Laughing at that, Andy signaled for a Porter, “Right,” She gestured off to the side, “This way to baggage claim then.”

Dorothy only took a moment to consider how at ease her daughter was not only with signaling, dealing with, and tipping the Porter, but when they all climbed into the long car, Andy seemed not to notice the luxury around them.  The girl, Dorothy sighed and corrected her thought, young woman, is completely at ease in this world.  Licking her lips as the girls snuggled up against Andy, Dorothy again realized, this is where Andy belongs. She wished her husband could, would, see that too.

 ###

“My goodness!”  Mary looked up seeing the levels of stairs above them, “This house puts the B&B to shame!”

Andy laughed, “I liked the B&B.”

“Yeah,” Caroline agreed, “It was nice.”

Andy's thumb touched the ring Miranda gave her, a smile touched her lips. “Yeah, it was.”

Cassidy groaned, “Ugh, here we go with the sappy looks and the dreamy smile.”

Laughing at that, Andy jostled Cassidy's shoulders, “Nevermind.”  Grinning at the girl, Andy switched her attention to Dorothy, “I figured you could be in the same room you were before, Ma.”  She turned to her Gram and hesitated, then spoke quietly, “Ma's room is on the second floor, there are two guest rooms on the third floor that share a bathroom.  Is that okay?” Andy continued, “There is also a guest room on the fourth floor with an ensuite bathroom...”

“I think we'll do fine sharing.” Pava glanced at Mary who nodded.  “Third floor sounds good. Thank ya, Darlin'.”

Caroline grabbed one of Gram's bags, letting the older woman take the other one. “I'll show them where!”

“Me too!”  Cassidy also grabbed one of the suitcases Mary had brought before the woman could pick them both up.

“Well I guess that's settled.”  Pava grinned, amazed by the children's enthusiasm. “Lead on Macduff.”

“Lay on...” Mary corrected quietly.

Pava laughed, “It's just a saying!  No Shakespeare lessons from the Peanut Gallery.”

Mary chuckled and wrinkled her nose and stuck the tip of her tongue out in Pava's direction, much to Cassidy's delight.

Andy and Dorothy watched them troop up the stairs.  “They're good girls, Andy.”

“Yeah, actually, they are.”  With a deep breath, Andy picked up both her mom's suitcases, “Miranda did good.”

Dorothy shook her head and pointed to the suitcases in her daughter's hand, “You're an influence on them too, you know?” Dorothy smiled at her daughter's confused look, “Girls that age are highly susceptible to suggestion.  They're just on the verge of being young women and need role models to show them how.”  She brushed a bit of dark hair from her daughter's eyes, “You are a great role model for them, Sweetheart.”

With a deep breath, Andy nodded, “Thanks, Ma.”  She smiled, “I learned from the best.”

Laughing at that, Dorothy bumped her shoulder into Andy's bicep and winked, “You bet you did.”

 ###

“Here you go.”  Caroline indicated the doors in the hall.  “Both rooms are the same, just...flipped.  The bathroom is in the middle, just like the kids rooms on that old Brady Bunch TV show.”

“So they connect?”  Pava glanced at Mary who, almost, grinned.

“Yeah,” Cassidy widened her eyes. “Is that okay?”

“Yes,” Mary patted the girl's shoulder. “It's fine, dear.”

“Cool.”  Caroline asked Gram, “So which one do you want?”

Pava shrugged and pointed to the doors as she spoke, “Eeny Meany Miney Mo..” She left her finger on the 'Mo' door and laughed, “That's one's as good as the other.”

“Okay.”  Caroline carried the suitcase she'd picked up into the room, while Cassidy moved with Mary into the other room.

“Our rooms are just down the hall.” Cassidy pointed toward the back of the house, “We aren't usually too noisy or anything though. I promise not to practice piano if you are trying to sleep.”

“Don't you worry about that,” Mary assured her, as she sat the bag she carried down and looked around the room, “This is nice.”

“Yeah, I like this room, but just to warn you, keep the curtains closed in the morning, or else the sun will shine right in your eyes and wake you up.”  Cassidy put the suitcase on the bed and shuddered at the memory.  She saw the woman's confused look and explained, “They were painting my room once and I slept in here...”

“Ah, I see.  I'll remember,”  Mary walked to the window in question and looked out, “Nice view.”  The third floor height let her see the cityscape quite well.

“Yeah, it's okay I guess.” Grinning impudently, she informed their guest, “Of course, the view from Mom and Andy's room is the best.”

Mary's eyes glittered at comment but also at the ease with which the girl seemed to accept her mother's relationship with the younger woman, “Of course.”  Mary's eyebrows raised significantly when her stomach growled loudly.  Placing a hand on her stomach the older woman laughed, “Wow, I guess I'm a little hungry.”

“A little?!” 

Mary admitted, “I skipped breakfast this morning.  I was a little nervous.  I don't really do well flying.”

“Oh,” Cassidy smiled. She and Caroline both knew that their mom didn't really like flying all that much either, especially take-offs and landings. “Well, you're here safe and sound and I'm sure Peggy has something planned for lunch.”

“Peggy?”  Mary tilted her head in question.

“The housekeeper, cook... she's great.”  Cassidy gestured for their guest to follow her back out the door.

“I um, think I need to freshen up a little first.”  Mary pointed toward the bathroom door. “Is that okay?”

“Oh!”  Cassidy nodded, “Sure.  Just come downstairs when you're ready.”

Mary smiled. “You're a sweetheart. Thank you.”

Cassidy rolled her eyes at the endearment, but grinned as she left the room, obviously pleased with the assessment.

 ###

“This is a lovely room,” Pava dropped her case on the bed and looked around.  She smiled at Caroline as she put the suitcase she was carrying on the bed as well. “Thank you, Darlin'”

Caroline showed the older woman the door to the bathroom, “You can just lock the other door, so Mary will know you're in there...”

Nodding, Gram smiled, “I'll try to remember, but if I don't it's no big deal.  Mary and I are pretty good friends.”

“Yeah, I guessed.”  Caroline shrugged, “Didn't think you'd bring a stranger with you...”

“Exactly,” Pava tilted her head, concerned with the girl's demeanor. “You okay?”

Nodding, Caroline shrugged again, “yeah.”

“Uh huh...”  Pava sat on the edge of the bed and patted the space beside her, “What's up?”

“How do you know, when a friend is really a friend?”

“Hmmm...” Wrapping her arm around the girl's shoulder, Pava answered slowly, “Well, sometimes you don't.”

Caroline blinked. “I... wasn't expecting you to say that.”

“Sometimes, people you think are friends turn out to be the opposite, and the people who you think hate you turn out to be the best friend you've ever had.”  Pava sighed, knowing she wasn't helping the child at all.  “You have someone you think is a friend but you aren't sure?”

Nodding, Caroline told the older woman, “Allison, I've known her for a long time, since second grade, we always got along and liked the same things...”

Pava took a deep breath, “Ahhh... and now she doesn't seem so, compatible?”

“No,” Caroline played with the edge of her shirt, “Cassidy says she's jealous of us, but... it's really her mom that's the problem.  I think Alli would be okay if her mom wasn't twisting her mind about... things.”

Pava's eyes narrowed, just as Andy's did sometimes. “What...things?”  Caroline remained silent and Pava pressed her lips together for a moment before filling in what Caroline wouldn't say.  “Things like, your mom and Andy being together?” 

“yeah.”

“But you know that's okay, right?” Pava had thought the girls seemed completely accepting of the relationship.

“Oh, yeah... definitely.”  Caroline rolled her eyes, “We tease them about being all mushy, but Cass and I are really happy that Mom found Andy.  We've never seen Mom happier than she is now.”

Nodding, Pava agreed on the other side of the pair, “I've known Andy all her life and I've never seen her happier either.”

“They were made for each other.” Caroline sighed, “ I wonder if I will ever find someone to make me that happy.”

Pava chuckled and jostled the girl's shoulder, “You're young yet... You'll find 'em.”

“How will I know when I do?” That question had plagued Caroline for quite a while now.  A new voice from the bathroom door answered.

“You'll know.”

Looking up, Pava's dark eyes twinkled at Mary as they both smiled, “Yup, You'll definitely know.”

Everyone says that, 'you'll know'. Resisting the urge to roll her eyes, Caroline stood. “Thanks for talking with me... Gram.”

“Any time, Darlin'” Pava winked at the girl and watched her leave before she crossed the room to stand in front of Mary. She bent her knees to catch the slightly shorter woman's eyes. “You okay?”

“I, I thought it would be odd, being here, but they are all so... kind... and,” Mary hesitated. 

Pava understood and thought, times change.  She wrapped her long arms around the woman's shoulders and pulled her close, filling in the last word, “accepting.”

“Yes,” Mary rested her head on Pava's shoulder and sighed, “But it wouldn't have been, back then... for us.”

Pulling back slightly, Pava brushed her fingertips across Mary's creased cheek and smiled sadly, “No, it wouldn't.”

“We did the right thing... all those years ago, we made the right choice.”  Mary's eyes didn't hold the same conviction her voice did.  Pava reassured her.

“We made the only choice we could.”  Again pulling the woman close, Pava rested her cheek against Mary's temple. “We had good lives with men who loved us.”

“We did.”  Sighing, Mary closed her eyes, hating the tiny empty space in her heart. “I miss George.” 

“I know you do, Sweetheart.  I missed John for a long time after he passed...still do... sometimes”  Pava soothed the woman, “but it will get better, I promise.”

Melting into the embrace, Mary sighed. “Thank you.”

“For what?” Pava smiled as the woman in her arms gave a short low bark of laughter.

“For what?” Mary was amazed at her life-long friend and her voice reflected that, “You've always been there for me.”

“Not always...” Pava knew there were times that she should have gone to the woman, to help her, comfort her, but, “... I trusted George to take care of you.”

“He did,” for the most part, “but...” Mary admitted, “He wasn't you.”

Pava sighed, nodded and kissed the woman's temple. Time for a change of subject. “C'mon, you didn't have any breakfast and it's nearly lunchtime.  You must be hungry.  Let's go see if we can find some munchies.”

Mary resisted the move for a moment then gave in, she could feel her stomach on the verge of growling again.  There was more to say, but we've waited this long, she thought, why not a little longer? 

TBC in Part 27

Bard's Page

Back to the Academy