CHAPTER 12

 

Kikola, Boran, and Marleen raced, through the dark Alopan countryside, to the appointed meeting place. It was in a remote location, sparsely populated, away from the city, but fairly close to the vast spaceport's outer perimeter. Perfect to get in, get Tehvay, and get out before the Taliss' were aware she was even missing.

Boran drove the cruiser's land vehicle, pushing its speed to the safe maximum for the roads. The vehicle's ionic powered propulsion hardly made a sound and neither did the occupants of the vehicle. They were too pre-occupied with thoughts of seeing Tehvay again.

At last, they arrived at the designated coordinates: a neglected farmhouse abandoned some years ago. They looked at each other determinedly, stepped out of the vehicle, and quietly made their way past scattered debris to the front door.

Kikola's heart was pounding. Just a few more moments before she would be reunited with Tehvay, and could take her somewhere safe. Kikola was rehearsing the moment over and over in her mind: each time she would open the door, and each time Tehvay would smile and rush into her arms. Reality, however, played out in a way she could never have imagined.

Just as they were about to enter, a loud scream was heard from inside. Kikola immediately reached for her weapon and rushed in ahead of Boran and Marleen. She followed the echoes of the scream to the kitchen in the back of the house. She was totally unprepared for what greeted her.

Tehvay was lying on the floor. A young blonde-haired woman, no more than eighteen or nineteen, was kneeling next to Tehvay's body – a knife lay nearby.

There was blood. Too much blood.

"Tehvay!" Kikola cried. She grabbed the young woman and pushed her away.

"No!" A young female slave dived in front of the young woman trying to protect her.

Kikola positioned herself in front of Tehvay's wounded body and kept her weapon trained on them. "Marleen!"

Marleen didn't need to be called. She was already down on her knees doing a quick check for wounds.

"How bad is it?" asked Kikola.

"She has a deep slice on her arm, but she doesn't seem to be injured anywhere else."

"Good." Kikola was much relieved. She kept one eye on her prisoners and one eye on Marleen, who proceeded to rip the light blue material of Tehvay's trouser leg and use it as a bandage to stem the bleeding and dress the wound.

With Marleen tending to Tehvay, Kikola turned her attention towards the two women huddled together on the floor.  

"Now, who are you two and what happened to Tehvay?"

"I am Jenissa Corrina Durell ap Taliss and this is my slave Menari," she replied. "How do you know my slave, Tehvay?"

"Never mind that now."

Jenissa was about to say something, but stopped, and then the young Taliss said, "I know who you are. You're the one who killed my grandfather. Are you going to kill me, like you killed him?"

Before Kikola could reply, a blast rang out. Boran had discharged his IPB in the direction of the door, narrowly missing Randolin's head.

"He was trying to sneak out," Boran announced to all. He took hold of their accomplice and brought him back to the other side of the room.

"Care to explain what happened here?" Boran asked, still keeping his weapon pointed at Randolin.

"Explanations will have to wait." Marleen's voice cut through. "Tehvay needs medical help. I have field dressed the wound, but a main artery was nearly severed. We need to get her to a doctor right now!"

With Boran having his weapon at the ready, Kikola holstered her IPB and turned her full attention to Tehvay. She knelt down. "Tehvay! Can you hear me?"

Tehvay was pale, her eyelids fluttering. She was beginning to lose consciousness. There was no time to lose. Because of her muscular implants, Kikola easily lifted and cradled Tehvay in her arms. She chanced placing a gentle kiss on Tehvay's cheek. "I did not come this far to lose you now," she whispered.

Kikola's academy training kicked in. "Boran, get everyone back to the ship. Marleen, you go with Boran. He will need your help to look after Jenissa and Menari. I will question them all later. I will take the other vehicle and get Tehvay to a medical treatment facility somewhere."

Jenissa climbed to her feet. "I am not going with anyone!" she exclaimed.

Kikola stood up and faced her. "You'll do as I say. I do not have time to argue."

"Exactly, there is no time to argue," Jenissa replied. "I can get Tehvay treated by the best doctors on this planet."

"I don't like this one bit," Boran said to Kikola. "One word from her, and you would be arrested, we all would. And we didn't come all this way to leave without Tehvay – or you. It's too risky."

"I give you my word," Jenissa replied. "I will say nothing of this, if you let Menari and me go afterwards."

Kikola did not like yielding control to anyone, let alone to this woman who was little more than a girl, but there was something much more important than her pride and status at risk.

"Fine. Let's go."

~~~~

As they journeyed to the hospital, Jenissa filled Kikola in on what had happened to Tehvay. "Randolin took us to the farmhouse. He picked up a knife and gave it to Tehvay. I think he meant for it… her…Tehvay to use the knife on me. Instead, Tehvay cut her arm with the knife. Why, I do not know."

Kikola offered no theory to Jenissa, but she could guess. Tehvay had lost hope – lost hope in Kikola coming to her rescue. She could only conclude that Randolin had not informed Tehvay that he was part of the rescue plan. Kikola cursed herself for trusting Tehvay's rescue to anyone else.

When they arrived, the trauma doctors quickly went to work repairing the artery, closing the wound, and giving her plasma. The medics did not query the aloyd when Kikola ordered them to make the scar invisible.

When the treatment was over, Kikola, Jenissa, and Menari were permitted to wait in the ward with Tehvay until she regained consciousness. The two Elit women sat in chairs on either side of the bed. Menari stood against the wall, behind her mistress.

The attending doctor finally came in to give them an update. "Your slave will make a full recovery, but I do not know why you bothered. Another few minutes, and it would have bled out," the doctor said.

"When can it be released?" Jenissa asked.

He checked the monitor and made a notation in a data pad. "Once it has regained consciousness – within the hour, I should think." With that, the doctor left the room.

Jenissa got up and followed him out, which made Kikola a little uneasy, but she was not about to leave Tehvay's side, not even to find out what Jenissa was doing. Kikola felt a sense of relief when Jenissa came back a few minutes later – alone, no security officers.

"I have contacted my family to inform them that my departure had been delayed because of a road detour," said Jenissa. "I did not mention your presence."

"Thank you."

A few minutes passed in silence.

"Why did you kill my grandfather?" Jenissa asked suddenly.

"Your grandfather was the architect of a plot to start a war with The Losper Empire – a plot that included an attempt to have me killed, and in the attempt Tehvay was badly injured."

"I see."

Kikola allowed the Taliss girl time to digest this revelation. Amid the silence, Kikola reached out and brushed Tehvay's hand. The sleeping slave stirred lightly.

"What exactly is the nature of your relationship with Tehvay?"

"Tehvay is very important to me," Kikola began. When Jenissa said nothing, Kikola felt the need to explain further. "I am very fond of Tehvay."

"Are you trying to say that you love Tehvay?"

"Yes, I suppose I am."

"How can you? It's a slave."

"She is not…" Kikola couldn't finish her retort. Words piled up to be spoken, but she could not decide which ones should be heard.

"Relationships with slaves are not permitted for Elit," Jenissa said.

"Yes, I know," replied Kikola, taking note of Jenissa’s backward glance towards her slave, Menari.

"What do you intend to do?" Jenissa asked.

"Take Tehvay and leave this planet." Kikola added a warning, "and you will not try and stop me."

"No, I won't," Jenissa replied. "Where will you go? There is nowhere in the Hegemony you can go. Nowhere where it would be acceptable for an Elit to love a slave."

There was a tone in Jenissa's voice that took Kikola a moment to place – a sad longing and resignation. Kikola realised that Jenissa was asking for herself, as much as she was asking Kikola.

"You can come, as well," Kikola offered. "I mean you and Menari."

"With you? I cannot go with you." Jenissa's tone became defensive.

"Yes, you can. My friends are helping Tehvay and me establish new identities, start our lives somewhere outside the borders of the Hegemony, somewhere where the two of us can be together. I am certain they can help you start over somewhere else, too. Is that not what you want?"

Jenissa stood and paced the floor anxiously. "I am not as brave as you. I have led a sheltered and privileged life. I am not an aloyd with finely honed… aloyd skills. I have not even started my training to be a governor." She held up her arms. "What life would I have beyond the Hegemony – without my family?"

Kikola glanced at Tehvay before replying. "You would have an honest life – a life where you are free to love Menari, and she you."

Jenissa walked over to her slave and lifted her chin, so their eyes met. "Menari, what do you think? Do you want to go with them? It means we could be together openly, and you would be free. However, it means I could never come back to Alopan, never see my family again."

Kikola observed the two young women, as though she were watching younger versions of herself and Tehvay. Her heart went out to them both. She knew just how difficult it was to come to terms with the reality of loving someone not deemed acceptable by Elit society. Seeing Tehvay again, however, cemented her commitment to the choice she had made, whatever the price. Tehvay was her life now.

"Only you can make this decision, Jenissa," Menari replied. She took a step towards her mistress. "I only know that I love you, and I want to be with you." She dared to take her mistress' hands in hers. "If it means I have to be your slave, I'll accept that."

Kikola could see the conflict on Jenissa's face: she was strong, but not strong enough.

"Another time," Jenissa said to Menari. "I promise."

Menari sighed. "Another time."

They shared a loving embrace before each returned to their respective places and roles.

Courage comes in many forms, Kikola thought. Who am I to judge? Kikola heard a low groan, drawing her attention to the hospital bed. Tehvay was beginning to regain consciousness.

As she slowly opened her eyes, the injured woman tried to focus on her surroundings. "Where am I?"

As much as she wanted to shout for joy and hug Tehvay, Kikola demonstrated emotional restraint. "You are in hospital on Alopan," Kikola replied.

"We will give you two a few minutes alone," said Jenissa.

Kikola nodded her gratitude. Her eyes followed Jenissa and Menari as they left the ward. When the door closed behind them, Kikola's demeanour softened, and she gave Tehvay's unbandaged hand a gentle squeeze.

"Kikola? Is it really you?"

"It is." Kikola smiled.

"I didn't recognise you out of uniform."

"I will explain all that later. As soon as you are able, we can get you discharged. Do you think you feel up to standing?"

"I think so."

"Good."

Careful not to touch her injured arm, Kikola helped Tehvay out of the bed, and she didn't let go until Tehvay was confident in her ability to steady herself.

"Let's get you dressed and get out of here, shall we?" Kikola looked at the light blue slave's uniform on a nearby table. Kikola retrieved them. "I am afraid you will have to put these on," she said.

Tehvay hesitated and looked confused. "Are you returning me to the Taliss' service?"

"What? No!"

"Then am I to be your slave again?"

"No," Kikola assured her.

"Then what is to happen to me?"

Kikola realised that Tehvay didn't fully comprehend what was happening. She gazed into Tehvay's blue-green eyes and said, "Tehvay, you are not going back to the Taliss' and you are not going to be my slave."

"Then what? I don't understand."

"I have come to take you away," Kikola said.

"Where will we go?" Tehvay asked apprehensively.

"Away from here, for a start. I will explain it all to you when we get back to the ship."

"But what about…" Tehvay looked towards the door.

"Do you mean Jenissa?"

"Yes."

"She won't stop us. She is like us – Jenissa and Menari, I mean."

"I thought so. Are they coming with us?"

"No," Kikola replied sombrely.

Tehvay nodded her understanding. She looked down at the dressing on her arm. "I'm sorry. I thought—"

"Hush! It's not your fault. This is entirely my fault. I should have never let you be taken in the first place."

"You had no choice. I understood that. I should have had faith that no matter what, you would come for me. I—"

The door slid open. Kikola moved her hand away and their conversation ceased. Jenissa and Menari came back into the room to give them the news that Kikola had been waiting to hear.

"The doctor has discharged Tehvay," Jenissa said. "You two are now free to return to your friends."

"What are you going to tell your family?" Kikola asked.

"Well, I am not going to lie. I will tell them the truth: that we were detoured off the main road and the driver got lost. We took shelter at an old abandoned farmhouse."

"How are you going to explain Tehvay?"

"If anyone asks, I will say that the slave cut itself with a knife, and I brought it for medical treatment."

"What about the hospital records?" Kikola enquired. "They will show that Tehvay was discharged."

"I will merely say that an injured slave was of no use to me, so I had it put down."

Kikola found it a plausible version of the truth. "What are you going to do now?"

"Go to the spaceport and leave for Yun'thul, where my training as a governor begins."

"I will take you there." Kikola turned to Tehvay. "Let's get you dressed."

"Menari," said Jenissa.

The slave appeared by Kikola's side. "Your spare uniform," she said to Tehvay and handed her a small bag. "The other is torn and bloody."

"Thank you, Menari."

Menari hesitated for a moment, then leaned in and whispered to Tehvay. Kikola was close enough to hear.

"When you're safe, and no longer need it, burn it."

~~~~

Boran found it difficult to concentrate, as he guided the cruiser's ground vehicle back to the spaceport. All he could think about was how he reacted to seeing Tehvay lying on the floor with blood pooling around her. As he recalled the scene, he felt ashamed that for a few moments he was utterly unable to move to help Tehvay. Some hero, he thought. Thankfully Boran had snapped out of it when he caught a glimpse of Randolin heading for the door. Boran's instincts took over, and he fired a warning shot over the driver's head. It stopped Randolin in his tracks and got everyone else's attention. At least I got something right, he thought.

Boran looked at the display console and hit the control for the interior camera. He wanted to see if everything was all right in the back seat, where Marleen was guarding Randolin. Karthen had told him and Marleen to take Randolin back to the ship and hold him until she got back. I'm not waiting that long for answers.

Boran turned into their assigned hangar, waited for Hila to lower the ramp, and then drove the vehicle into the storage bay on the lower deck. Tremothen greeted him as he got out. Randolin exited the rear of the vehicle, followed by a wary looking Marleen holding an IPB.

"What's going on? Where's Tehvay?" Tremothen asked.

"She was injured," replied Marleen. "Karthen has taken her to hospital."

"Injured? How badly? And how?"

"That's what we're going to find out," said Boran. He grabbed hold of Randolin's arm and started dragging him upstairs to the passenger accommodations, with Tremothen and Marleen trailing behind them.

Hila caught up with the group. "What's going on?

"Marleen can explain."

Boran pushed Randolin into a vacant room. "Not so rough," said Randolin. "I'll tell you. She was crazy."

"Do you want help?" asked Hila.

"I'll handle it," Boran told her. "Everyone stay out here."

Boran entered and closed the door behind him. Whatever regret he had felt about not doing more to help Tehvay was now being channelled into getting the truth from Randolin.

"Sit down," he said sternly and gestured at a chair.

Randolin did as he was told and sat down.

Boran remained standing in an imposing stance; he knew how to intimidate people and get the answers he wanted. The muscular driver looked scared, which pleased Boran. He folded his arms and said, "Now tell me everything. What were the Taliss girl and her slave doing there? And, more importantly, what happened to Tehvay?"

"I didn't touch her!" Randolin held up his hands as if in defence. "She cut herself."

"Why?"

"I don't know."

"Where did she get the knife from?"

"I…" Randolin swallowed. "I gave it to her."

"You gave it to her? Why? Why did you give her a knife?"

"I told her… told her…" Randolin looked away.

"Told her what?" Boran was beginning to lose his patience.

"Told her to cut the Taliss girl."

"You what?"

Randolin tried to get up, but Boran didn't budge from his position, which forced Randolin to remain seated.

"I just wanted to scare the bitch. The Taliss girl, I mean."

Boran took a calming breath. He knew the only way to get the whole story was to not allow his emotions to overtake him. "You gave Tehvay a knife to scare the Taliss girl. Then what?"

"She started shouting – your slave – Tehvay. She started shouting, pointing the knife at the Taliss girl, and then…"

"Then?"

"She cut herself. Just slit her wrist."

Boran unfolded his arms and rubbed his temples. "I still don't understand. She knew you were helping us rescue her, so why would she do it? It doesn't make sense."

Randolin looked at him with wide eyes.

Realisation struck Boran. He didn't want to believe it. "You didn't tell her, did you?"

"Not in so many wo—"

"You didn't tell her!" Boran shouted at the top of his lungs.

Randolin flinched. "No."

"You fucking idiot."

"Sorry." Randolin cowered in the chair.

"Don't give me sorry!" Boran clenched his fists and counted to ten. "The Taliss girl and her slave. What were they doing there?"

"I figured I'd get more money if I ransomed her. I knew I would need more than you're paying me to get away, once I'd cleared my debts."

"You really are an idiot! The plan was simple. Ditch whoever was with Tehvay, meet us at the farmhouse, we take you and Tehvay away, and you get the six thousand credits and a new identity. You didn't need to worry about your debts."

Randolin bristled at the admonishment. "Six thousand ain't enough."

"Fine! If Tehvay comes back fit and well, I'll double your payment to twelve thousand."

Randolin's lip curled into a sneer. "It's not like you can't afford it."

Boran repressed the urge to slap the smirk right off the man's face. "Don't push your luck! If you had stuck to the plan, we'd be on our way now. Instead, we've got to wait here for Orion knows how long, and there's a member of the Taliss Family with them, who knows everything that happened and who we are." Boran headed for the door. He stopped, looked back, and said, "And I don't like that. It puts me in a vulnerable position, and I don't like being vulnerable."

~~~~

Kikola brought the surface vehicle to a stop at the Taliss' private hangar, where Jenissa's private transport ship was waiting for departure. It was still dark and cold, and the pavement was covered in slush that had frozen over, so Kikola had Tehvay stay in the vehicle, rather than chance slipping and falling on her injured arm.

Menari got out without saying a word. Jenissa followed her slave, but before she exited the vehicle, she turned back and said, "Goodbye, Tehvay. I wish you all the best."

"Goodbye, and thank you."

Kikola was standing outside the vehicle waiting to take her leave of Jenissa. She shivered in the cold, because the civilian clothes she was wearing didn't contain the thermal regulator that her uniform possessed.

"Menari, get the bags on board."

"Yes, Ma'am." The young slave girl dutifully did as her mistress instructed and took the bags to the waiting ship.

Observing the two of them just reinforced in Kikola's mind that she was making the right choice for Tehvay and her.

"I offer my thanks for what you have done for Tehvay," Kikola said. "I regret the inconvenience to which you were subjected."

Jenissa replied, "I hope we do not meet again, but I wish you both well in the life you have chosen."

"I wish the same for the two of you, as well."

Before Jenissa turned to go, she paused and said to Kikola, "Oh, and one more thing. Randolin assaulted me. He drugged me with something."

"A sedative," Kikola replied. "He was only supposed to use that as a last resort. You were not meant to be at the farmhouse."

"I said he assaulted me." Jenissa gave Kikola a pointed look.

Kikola nodded. "Of course."

"Good," said Jenissa.

Jenissa said no more and walked into the hangar.

Kikola got back into the vehicle and smiled at Tehvay, but Tehvay wore a look of concern.

"What is the matter? Are you in pain?" Kikola asked.

"What did you mean when you said 'of course' to Jenissa?"

"Randolin assaulted her."

"And?"

"She is Elit," Kikola explained. "The punishment for a Quernal who assaults an Elit is death."

"You're going to execute him for it?"

"It is my duty. Besides, he should have told you I had sent him, then you would not have hurt yourself."

"But—"

"Tehvay, we can discuss it when we are in the warm." She gave Tehvay's leg a gentle pat. "Let us get back to the ship. Your friends are anxiously awaiting your return."

~~~~

Tehvay paused before the cruiser's entry hatch. She needed a moment to collect herself. She was feeling both anxious and excited to be reunited with Boran, Marleen, and Tremothen once more. So much had happened in the months since she had last seen them; she worried if they would feel the same about her, after all that time.

Tehvay felt Kikola's reassuring hand around her waist.

"Are you ready for this?" Kikola asked.

"I'm not sure…" Tehvay looked down at the slave's uniform she was wearing. "I mean, what if—"

"Trust me, your friends will be very happy to see you – Boran especially. They are not going to care how you are dressed – just that you are here and safe."

Feeling very much-relieved, Tehvay stepped through the door. When she encountered the group all eagerly waiting to welcome her, Tehvay froze. Everything became blurred. It was almost too overwhelming, but then her eyes were drawn to the man standing at the head of the group. He was wearing a well-worn casual shirt with a strange floral pattern, and she knew it was Boran. She fell into his arms and almost knocked him down. "You came for me!" she cried.

"Oof." He could say no more.

Tehvay then caught sight of Marleen and Tremothen, standing just behind Boran, and they moved in to welcome her home, as well. Marleen crushed Tehvay in a tight hug. The older woman was almost in tears. "Oh Tehvay, thank goodness you're all right. You had lost so much blood. I was so worried."

Tremothen waited until his wife let Tehvay go, and then he offered her a gentle hug. "It's good to see you, kid."

"You too, Tremothen."

Tehvay felt Boran's arm around her shoulder.

"Let's get you up to the lounge. It's more comfortable there."

He guided her to the stairway. All apprehension she had felt outside had gone. Tears rolled down her cheeks, but she didn't care. She was safe. She was with friends. She was with Kikola.

Kikola! Tehvay felt a moment of panic until she turned and saw Kikola's smiling face a couple of steps behind, and then she breathed easier.

They arrived at the lounge, and two women Tehvay didn't recognise were seated in the corner.

One of them, young, with long dark hair approached Tehvay and held out her hand. "Hi, Tehvay. I'm Kamina."

Tehvay gave the young woman's hand a shake. "Hi, um Kamina."

Kamina pointed to the other woman, who was now leaning against the wall, trying to ignore everyone else. "And that's Hila."

Tehvay gazed over at the woman with short, jet-black hair. She looked vaguely familiar to Tehvay; she assumed she had seen her around Boran's estate.

"We've been looking for you for ages!" Kamina exclaimed, and gave Tehvay a spontaneous hug.

"Thank you," said Tehvay. She waited for the young woman to release her as Boran offered her an explanation.

"Kamina and Hila are…" Boran appeared overwhelmed and lost the thread of his thoughts. "Uh… I hired them to help me look for you." Boran took Tehvay's good arm and led her to a chair. "That's not important right now. Come sit down. Do you want a drink or something to eat?"

"No, I'm okay," said Tehvay as she sat down at the table.

Boran and the others took seats around her, apart from Hila and Kamina, who headed to the cockpit to do their pre-flight checks. Kikola stood behind Tehvay, allowing the others their time with Tehvay.

"How long have you been looking for me?"

"Ever since your trial," said Boran.

"I should've been with you," said Marleen.

"I knew the risks," Tehvay replied.

"We've been following you and Kikola all around the Hegemony ever since," Boran said, "but we were always one step behind."

"How did you finally track me down, then?"

Boran glanced at Kikola. "Kikola came to me looking for help in rescuing you."

"I needed to tell her about you," said Tehvay.

"I'm glad you told her, otherwise… I don't want to go there. You're back, that's all that matters."

"No thanks to Randolin," Kikola said. "Where is he?"

"He's in a cabin," Boran replied.

"Did he tell you anything?"

"He told me everything that happened."

"Did he tell you that he gave Tehvay the knife? Did he tell you that he did not tell Tehvay we had sent him, that she was safe?"

Boran nodded.

"Where is he? I am going to kill him." Kikola started to leave.

"Kikola, no!" Tehvay called out.

"Kikola, wait!" Boran got to his feet and stood in her way.

Kikola stopped.

"He's already dead," said Boran.

"Dead?" Kikola and Tehvay queried together.

Boran looked down at his feet. "Yes."

"I said I would take care of him when I got back," Kikola said sharply.

Boran's head snapped up, and he met Kikola's harsh gaze. "Do you think I would do nothing when he told me what he had done?" Boran replied. "Besides, he was too much of a risk."

A sombre mood fell over the festivities, and Tehvay confessed she was not feeling that well. It might have been the shock of hearing about Randolin's demise, or that the pain suppressant was wearing off and her arm was hurting. Either way, the party was over.

"I think I had better get Tehvay to her cabin," Kikola announced. "She's had a very long day, and she needs to get some rest," Kikola looked at Boran, "and as far away from Alopan as possible."

Boran agreed. "Yes, let's get you somewhere safe." He called up to the cockpit and spoke to Hila. "Plot the fastest course to Shibato." There was a faint rumble as the ship lifted off. Boran leaned towards Kikola and whispered, "We'll dump Randolin's body out of an airlock along the way."

~~~~

Kikola and Tehvay left the others in the lounge. Kikola ushered Tehvay through the ship to Tehvay's cabin. It was a large suite of rooms, made to offer Boran's guests comfort and luxury.

"I like this suite," said Tehvay. "I thought I'd never see it again."

"You've been on this ship before?"

"Yes, Boran took me on a few trips."

I forget sometimes that the freedom Tehvay had before I met her was true freedom. Not the limited freedom that I have allowed her, Kikola thought.

"Well, I will leave you to get some rest," said Kikola. "I will see you in the morning."

"Are you not staying with me?" asked Tehvay anxiously.

"I did not want to presume."

"Oh."

When she saw the disappointment on Tehvay's face, Kikola hastened to try and explain. "I thought… I mean I was not certain… That is…" Kikola gazed down at a spot on the bed covers, struggling to explain that there was a nagging kernel of doubt as to whether Tehvay's feelings for her had survived their separation.

"Kikola, what are you trying so hard not to tell me?"

Kikola realised she was making matters worse for Tehvay. "We have a few things to talk over," Kikola replied, "but not tonight. You have been through a very trying ordeal. You need to get some rest."

"I won't be able to rest easy until we do talk."

"All right, but first we must get you out of those clothes," Kikola said.

Kikola helped Tehvay undress and get settled into bed, and then she sat down on the edge, careful not to bump Tehvay's injured right arm.

"Tehvay, let me start off by saying again how truly sorry I am for allowing them to take you from me and give you to the Taliss Family."

"There is no need to apologise again, Kikola," Tehvay said. "I know you had no choice, but none of that matters now that we're together. We are together, right?"

"Yes! I mean, if that is what you want," Kikola replied.

"Is it what you want?"

"More than anything."

"Good. It's what I want too." Tehvay paused. "Just so I am clear and there is no mistaking, what exactly will I be to you?"

"I know what I hope you will be to me," Kikola replied, "but that is entirely up to you."

Tehvay didn't immediately answer.

"Tehvay?"

"I'm sorry, I was trying to sort out what you were asking me. I don't want to misinterpret your meaning."

Kikola knew that this was not the time to fumble her words. "Tehvay, I love you and I want us to be together, to be everything to each other."

Tehvay tried to raise her arm to hug Kikola, but winced a little in the attempt.

"Okay, that does it. I need to leave so you can get some sleep." Kikola got up off the bed. "We can continue this conversation in the morning."

"No, don't leave!" Tehvay exclaimed. "I will never get any sleep if you leave now."

"All right, I will stay," replied Kikola.

Tehvay repositioned herself so she was sitting up against the headboard. She gazed intently at Kikola and said, "So, what happens now? Are we going to be like Jenissa and Menari: continue to be slave and—"

"No!" Kikola exclaimed – a little too forcefully, because Tehvay flinched slightly. She immediately apologised, and explained in a gentler tone. "I told you at the hospital that you would not be my slave," said Kikola gently. "We will leave the Hegemony."

"What about your career?"

"I have been absent without leave from duty for too long now. The Council will be looking for me. We must leave the Hegemony as soon as possible. Boran is going to arrange new identities for us."

Tehvay's head dropped.

"We will be leaving here and going somewhere where we… you… me, where I can be your equal. Somewhere we do not have to hide our feelings for each other."

"That's wonderful," said Tehvay. She forced a smile.

"You don't want to leave."

"I want to be with you. If you have to leave the Hegemony, then I'll go with you. It's just that, I've just been reunited with Boran and the others, and now we have to leave. I will miss them."

"I understand; they are your family. I will miss mine." It felt as though an icy hand had formed a fist and punched Kikola in the stomach. The thought of not seeing her family again was unbearable. Family for the Elit was everything. Every family had an estate that was a permanent home to an extended family, and that all who shared the name could call home. Kikola had been apart from her family at the Academy, but could get home within a few hours at the weekend and term breaks, which she had done often. However, this parting would be final.

"Oh Kikola, I hadn't realised until now just what you are giving up for me. I can't ask you to do that – to give up your family, your career – the life of an Elit."

"No! You can ask anything. If I can do what you ask, I will do it. My career is over anyway, and though I will miss my mother, that doesn't matter, because you are my family now. As for no longer being Elit… I am better than Elit now. I am yours."

~~~~

Tehvay was awake early, too early to disturb Kikola who was curled up on her side contentedly sleeping. She considered just staying in bed and watching the woman she loved sleep, but she was feeling quite hungry. She slipped out of bed, got dressed – Marleen had the foresight to bring her some of her old clothes, so she didn't have to wear the slave uniform – and went in search of something to eat.

She made her way to the dining room, where she helped herself to some juice and then wandered over to the food dispenser to check the menu.

"Where's Kikola?"

The voice made her jump slightly. Tehvay turned to find Boran, who was seated at the table on the other side of the room. "Sleeping. Do you want breakfast?" She turned back to the machine and punched a button.

"Not yet. I was hoping I'd get a chance to speak to you. Alone. Do you have time now?"

"Sure." Tehvay grabbed her tray and headed for the table. She sat down across from Boran, who had sombre look on his face. "What's wrong?"

"I wanted to talk to you about Kikola."

"Okay, sure. You don't mind if I eat while we talk, do you? I'm starving."

"No, go right ahead."

"So, what about Kikola?"

"She says the two of you are in love," Boran replied. "Is that true?"

That was one of things Tehvay liked so much about Boran; he was direct. "Yes," she replied. "It was the last thing I ever expected, but then Kikola was not like anyone I had ever met. She didn't treat me like a slave. At least, not like my other owners treated me."

"Maybe you're just confusing love with gratitude," said Boran.

"No!" Tehvay replied. "My feelings for Kikola are real. I… I feel them." She patted the area over her heart. "Kikola feels them, too." Tehvay's eyes glanced away. "Whether it's truly love, I don't know," she confessed. "This is the first time I've felt it." She looked Boran straight in the eye. "This is not like the love and gratitude I have for you. All I do know is that I'd rather die if Kikola is not part of my life."

"Okay! I believe you. I just wanted to be sure. I just want you to be safe and happy."

"I'm happy with Kikola, and she can protect me."

"Can she? She let you be taken by the Taliss."

"Kikola didn't 'let' me be taken; she had no choice. If she had refused the order of the Council, then she would have been put into prison or worse, and I would've still been turned over to the Taliss Family."

Boran seemed still unconvinced. "I remember how long it took you to adjust to freedom, how long it took for you to be able to think and make decisions for yourself. Going back to slavery must have felt like normality again. Perhaps, your judgement is clouded."

"No. I only started feeling like a slave again when I was on Alopan. When I was with Kikola, I felt ashamed and humiliated whenever I acted like a slave."

"Did she—"

"No! I said when I acted like a slave, Kikola didn't treat me like one."

"I know this is personal, but I have to ask. Have you two been, you know, intimate?"

"No, not yet. Kikola has always been good in that way. She has never pressured me or forced me to do anything – even when I have offered."

"Offered!" Boran's eyes widened. "Oh, you mean like… when…"

"Yes," said Tehvay, helping Boran, and herself, avoid any further embarrassment.

Boran took a sip of his tea. "So, how do you feel about it?"

"How do you mean?" Tehvay asked.

"I mean, after all you have been through, you deserve to have love in your life, but I don't want you to be hurt. I know how long it took you to trust. I would hate to see all the progress you have made, in overcoming the psychological scars of past abuse, be undone by someone who is only playing games."

Tehvay put down her utensil and patted Boran's hand. She was grateful for his fatherly concern, but she was quick to allay his fears. "That is not going to happen. Kikola could have just taken what she wanted at any time, but she didn't. She hasn't. She won't." Tehvay moved her hand away and looked at him earnestly. "Kikola truly loves me. She is giving up everything to be with me – her career, her family, her position in society – everything."

Boran still looked sceptical. "I know that's what she says now, but how do you know she won't just dump you as soon as she tires of the hardship?"

"Because I know Kikola. She said she won't, and she doesn't li—"

"Yeah, I know 'Elit don't lie'," he said with a chuckle.

Tehvay tilted her head. "Huh?"

"An inside joke, never mind."

"I trust Kikola," Tehvay assured him, "just as I trust you."

"Then, I guess that's good enough for me," said Boran.

~~~~

Shibato was the same as when they had left, hot and dry. Kikola and Tehvay were spending nearly every waking and non-waking hour together. Boran was organising new identities and a ship for them to leave. For Hila and Kamina, a few days alone at the guest cottage helped them to unwind, but now they were getting restless. Boran had put their fee for rescuing Tehvay into an account, plus a generous bonus. There was nothing stopping them from leaving Shibato; yet, Hila insisted they linger, despite having no work to keep them there. After a week, Kamina was getting bored and pestering Hila to leave. For Hila, however, there was unfinished business of a very personal nature.

Hila scouted around Boran's estate for a suitable location – a place where security cameras would not record her activity. This was difficult, because Boran's estate employed the best security systems on the market, but not impossible. She discovered a shaded cloister with tall shrubs blocking the view from the rest of the courtyard. Hila waited, lurking in the shadows until her quarry showed itself.  

She thought that it was her lucky day, but Hila's mistake was to be subtle. Walking around Boran's estate with an IPB would be suspicious, so she chose a knife, one she could easily conceal. Her hand settled around the handle; it was damp with sweat and her heart pounded.

As Karthen passed by, Hila struck.

The aloyd cursed, and she jumped away from Hila.

Hila lunged again, only this time Karthen was prepared. The aloyd dodged, her hand clamped down on Hila's wrist, and the freighter captain cried out in pain. She immediately released the knife, and it clattered to the ground. Her cry was cut off as the full weight of the aloyd landed on top of her, forcing the air out of her body.

Hila looked up into hard brown eyes glaring down at her.

"Why did you do that?" asked Karthen through gritted teeth.

Hila tried to struggle, but it was pointless. She slumped and closed her eyes. "Just kill me," she sighed.

"Not until you tell me why?"

"Just do it. You killed me fifteen years ago, once more won't make any difference."

"I don't understand. How could I have killed you fifteen years ago?"

"My name is not 'Hila Llyte'. I am Gral'hilanth Lintana ap Falentha," said Hila.

"Oh!" Karthen's face softened in recognition.

It wasn't the face that Hila remembered from their first meeting.  

Gral'hilanth stood in line with the five other Academy trainees. They were arranged in age order with Gral'hilanth, the youngest at seventeen, at the far right. Standing against the walls were five of the Academy instructors and sitting behind the only desk in the room was Toman ap Karthen, the Council member overseeing The Elit Military Academy. Standing just behind and to the right of Toman, was a small dark-haired girl who Gral'hilanth did not recognise.

The end of year review was a mere formality, but they had to go through it all the same. Each student was called forward, and Toman announced their successful transition into the new academic year. "Gral'hilanth Lintana ap Falentha," Toman called.

She stepped forward and stood up straight.

"Your final exercise of the year…" he tailed off.

The pause caused an uneasy feeling in Gral'hilanth's stomach. She saw the girl lean forward and whisper in Toman's ear.

"This is my niece, Kikola Mariantha Jacand ap Karthen. It is thanks to her that certain facts have come to light."

The girl stepped out from behind her uncle and approached Gral'hilanth. She looked about ten, Gral'hilanth guessed; if she was older, then she was a little small for her age. The girl stood in front of Gral'hilanth and looked up into her face.

"Your final exercise," said Kikola, "was a failure."

Murmurs started flying around the room.

"What are you talking about?" asked Gral'hilanth.

Toman cleared his throat. "You were sent to an address in Polen City on the moon of Yerhulin. The object of the exercise was to execute all members of the household."

"Which I did."

"Did not!" shouted Kikola. "You claimed to kill three members of the family and three bodies were reported found. However, news reports state that a fourth member, the youngest daughter, is missing."

"Shut up, you little brat!"

"Also, the household slave was still alive in its cell."

"I said, shut up!" Gral'hilanth struck out and caught the girl across the cheek.

All rumblings in the room ceased.

Gral'hilanth expected Kikola to burst into tears and run back to her uncle, but even though a single tear ran down the reddening cheek, there was only steely resolve on the young girl's face. Kikola pushed out with both hands catching Gral'hilanth in the chest and forcing her to take a step back. Gral'hilanth stumbled and fell on her backside. This caused a few giggles from her fellow students.

Gral'hilanth climbed to her feet, ready to pummel Kikola's arrogant little face into the floor, when a couple of instructors intervened.

"Stop it!" commanded Toman. "Gral'hilanth, you will return to your dormitory and pack your belongings. You are being expelled and will be sent home, effective immediately. This Academy has one purpose and one purpose only. That is to produce the best military leaders: leaders who have to give orders and expect them to be obeyed, and leaders who have to take orders and obey them. If you cannot perform a simple task, like the one to which you were assigned, and then have the audacity to lie about it in your report, then you have no business being in this place. This is unprecedented. You have brought shame on yourself, shame on the Academy, and most importantly, shame on your family."

"What? I cannot be the first to have failed an assignment! You are throwing me out because of it?"

"No, you're not the first to fail an assignment. Others, however, have not tried to hide their failure. They admitted it and learnt from it."

Gral'hilanth started to panic. She was not going to be humiliated like this in front of the Academy, and certainly not by a snot-nosed little girl.

"All right. I admit it. I did not kill everyone."

"Too late. The falsehood has been committed. It's in your report, and you verbally confirmed it here in this room. There is no more chance to rectify the situation."

"What am I… I am meant to serve The Kalenth Hegemony as an aloyd. What will happen to me?"

"I don't know. A Council meeting will be convened to discuss your fate. Your father is coming to collect you." Toman turned to address one of the instructors. "Escort her to her dormitory."

The world ended for Gral'hilanth. She looked around the room at the array of expressions on the faces of those present. Amusement, anger, disappointment, astonishment, but the one expression that burned itself into her brain was the look of smug accomplishment and satisfaction on the face of Kikola ap Karthen. Gral'hilanth's whole life so far had been in preparation for her to take her place as a military leader, and now it was ripped from her grasp. She could not bear the shame and humiliation, but she vowed, however long it took, to regain her position and get revenge on Kikola Mariantha Jacand ap Karthen.

"I didn't recognise you," Karthen said softly.

"I changed my appearance. I couldn't stand looking at the face that brought such shame to my family."

Karthen stood up slowly. "I am sorry. I did what I did for the good of the Hegemony. It wasn't personal."

"Oh, then that makes everything okay," said Hila sarcastically.

"No, it doesn't, but you cannot punish me for your failing."

"I'm not punishing you for my failing, I'm punishing you for ruining my life!"

"Ruining your life? You have freedom. You can do whatever you want, whenever you want. Kamina loves you. What more do you want? What more could anyone want? I didn't ruin your life; I saved it. I gave you a life you never would have had."

"But it's not the life I wanted," growled Hila.

"You are not unique in that respect. Whatever life you want is not my concern; if you don't like it, do something about it. You have my gratitude for helping rescue Tehvay, but come after me again, and I will kill you."

Hila glared in contempt and vengeance, but said nothing.

Karthen grimaced and clutched at the wound in her side. "I need to get this treated. I give you my word that I will not say how it happened."

"Don't do me any favours," Hila called after Karthen as she walked away.

Hila knew that taking on Karthen, one-on-one, right now was pointless. She needed help, and she had an idea where to get it.

Hila found Kamina lounging by the pool.

"Kami, we're going!"

"Going? When?"

"Now!"

"Where are we going?"

"Home."

 

Chapter 13

Author's Page

Back to the Academy