CHAPTER 14

 

The Hope Archipelago on Kalenth consisted of fifty-three islands surrounded by a shallow tropical sea. Some islands were close enough to each other that it was possible to walk between them at low tide, others were connected via bridges, and some were only accessible by sea or air.

Oscert was an island near the centre of the group. It was connected to Talpron, the largest island in the archipelago, by road via three other islands. Hila rode an ion-motored bike, a common mode of transport on the islands, across the final bridge to Oscert. The vehicle, with its wide wheels encased within the sculptured bodywork, ate up the span as if it wasn't there and disappeared into the tree-lined road on the other side. 

As Hila came to a halt outside a large metal gate, she saw guards leave a small guardhouse and approach the other side of it. Two guards hovered their hands over their weapons and two more were straining at the leashes of Ybrikkians, canine-like creatures with long legs, wide muscular chests, and large serrated teeth.

"Halt! Identify yourself!" a female guard called out as Hila dismounted and walked to the gate. "I said halt! Identify yourself or we'll open fire!"

Hila ignored the guard's commands and casually removed a glove. A green light began to flash on the locking mechanism, and the gates started to slowly swing open. The lock responded only to Falentha DNA, which had the guards confounded.

Hila slowly removed her helmet and shook out her straight black, chin-length hair. Smiling at the female guard, she removed her other glove and placed both of them in the helmet. "Be a good girl and park it for me," she said and tossed the helmet at the bemused looking guard.

This was too much for one male guard, and he drew his weapon.

A voice boomed from the house. "Stop! Stand down!"

At the command of their employer, the guards immediately withdrew. Hila looked towards the figure standing in the mansion's doorway, and her heart started beating faster. The man turned his back and disappeared into the house.

Hila strode up the drive to the house and entered the door that had been left open for her. A blue suited slave met her as she entered the foyer. "This way," it said and led her to the library.

Hila looked around nostalgically at the hundreds of books occupying shelves along one entire wall. A sealed bookcase caught her eye. It contained very rare and expensive books, several hundreds of years old judging by the condition of their paper pages. An extravagance not afforded to most people, who used hand-held devices to access books.

She moved past the rare books to a section that contained numerous, more recent books written by an author well known to Hila, novels that she'd read since she was a little girl and continued reading into adulthood. She perused the titles and even dared to touch one or two of the volumes. They were mostly fantasy fiction novels, in which the handsome hero and beautiful heroine would fight the monsters or free the land from tyrannical rule and impose their own order – a thinly veiled allegory for the Hegemony.

Just as she was returning the book to its slot on the shelf, the library door opened and in walked the master and mistress of the estate: Oalanic and Lintana ap Falentha.

Hila said nothing at first. She was shocked to find that greying hair and lines on their faces had seemed to age them well beyond what she had expected in the fifteen years since she had last seen them. "It is good to see you again," she said.

"I am afraid you have us at a disadvantage," Lintana replied.

Oalanic appeared guarded despite the technology's approval of their guest. "I take it we are related, because your DNA scan activated our gate."

Hila could not blame them for not recognising her. The face they were looking upon would not be familiar to them. Hila had altered her appearance since she had last seen them.

"Mother, Father. It's me, your daughter Gral'hilanth. I've come home."

Lintana fell back into her husband. "That is impossible. You look nothing like our daughter."

"I had my features altered when I left." Hila wanted to tell them that she couldn't bear the shame of looking at the face that had disgraced the family, but knew it would do little to mend any bridges at this time.

Oalanic helped his wife to a chair, and then turned to challenge Hila. "If you are my daughter, Gral'hilanth, then prove it. Tell me something only you and I would know."

Hila did not take long to think. "When I was eight years old, Lonnodren ap Onacon teased me about not being a true Elit, because you were Fethusal. I punched him in the face and bloodied his nose. When you got me home, I thought you were going to punish me. Instead you sat me on your knee and said, 'There will always be people who will want to tear you down because of who I am. I make no apologies for where I came from. Your mother and I fell in love, and her family accepted our union. Always be proud of who you are and where you come from.' And then you said I shouldn't just bloody his nose, break it. Then you showed me the technique using the palm of my hand."

Oalanic looked at his wife, and then looked at Hila. "Gral'hilanth? It really is you."

"I'm pleased to see you both."

"Listen to yourself," Lintana hissed. "You sound like a Quernal."

Hila blushed. "I'm—I am sorry. I couldn't— I had to adapt to survive."

"It might have been better if you had not," her mother replied. "You brought shame upon us. Your enduring existence continues to bring shame upon us."

"Mother!"

"Don't call me that! You're not my daughter!"

Hila detected the stress on the contraction that indicated her mother did not mean it as an endearment for a child, but contempt for someone beneath her. Her mother got up from the chair, turned on her heels, and walked from the room. Hila stepped forward to follow her, but her father blocked her way.

Oalanic was wearing his military uniform. His rank was lunguseth, a rare rank reserved for those military officers who had married into the Elit. Since he was not born Elit, he could not become an aloyd, but as his first born, that right befell Hila, or would have had she not been expelled from the Elit Military Academy.

"Why have you come back?" he asked quietly, but forcefully.

"I have news. News that the Council should hear."

"What news?"

"News that I hope will reinstate me as an aloyd."

"Oh, and what is of such importance that the Council would deign to grant you an audience, let alone reinstate you?" Her father's tone was slightly derisive.

"I have information about Kikola ap Karthen. I know that she's planning to run away. She's turning her back on the Hegemony, on the Elit, on her birth right!"

"What are you talking about? Kikola ap Karthen is the finest aloyd the Academy has produced in generations and the next Rivelor."

"The next Rivelor!" Hila was dumbfounded. "That makes everything much worse! Karthen isn't the paragon of virtue that everyone seems to think she is."

"Are you talking about what happened on Dameb?"

"Dameb?" Hila was momentarily thrown by mention of the planet. "Oh, you mean that she killed Durell ap Taliss. How can it be that she kills another Elit and only gets demoted? Anyone else would have been executed, but Karthen just gets a slap on the wrist. Yet I—"

"You do not know the whole story, if that is what you believe," her father chided. "The Council's decision not to execute Karthen was due to extenuating circumstances. Supreme-Aloyd Taliss had tried to start a war with The Losper Empire, and he did so by trying to have Aloyd Karthen assassinated. He acted without the authority of the Council, and his actions were treasonable. The Council ruled that Karthen was justified, though should not have acted without the Council's permission, and that is why she was demoted and reassigned to Chilursa."

"The way you talk, you'd think she was your daughter and not me."

"Gral'hilanth, you are my daughter and I love you. I would give anything to have you come home, but you know the rules as well as I do."

"If that is true, then you will help arrange to get me in to see the Council. I know for a fact that she's fallen in love with her slave – her female slave." Hila cringed a bit inside having to play the taboo card, especially given her feelings for Kamina. "She's betraying everything for which we stand."

"We?"

"Yes! All my life I have wanted nothing more than to serve The Kalenth Hegemony. It was my destiny to be an aloyd. I wanted that more than anything for your sake, Father. Do you think that changed after I left?"

"How can I know you're not lying?"

"Because I am your daughter, and I have never lied to you." Hila could see her father considering her words. "Help me expose Karthen's treachery; expose her perversion with her slave. Discredit her as she discredited me. Use that to regain my position, my birth right, and erase the shame she brought on us!"

"Your cousin Ill'sandreth is now our representative on The Council of Administration. If what you say is true, then there will be serious ramifications, perhaps even a shift in power on the Council. I will arrange a meeting with her. You can tell her everything you know, and she can bring it before the Council."

"The sooner, the better," said Hila.

~~~~

When they had left Shibato, Hila didn't tell Kamina where they were going. All Hila had said was 'home'. Kamina didn't realise what Hila meant by 'home'. To the two of them, 'home' had always meant the Glyndwr. Kamina had no idea where Hila was from originally, and Hila never talked about it. So, when they laid in a course for Kalenth, Kamina didn't know what was going on, and Hila was in no mood to explain.

When they finally landed on Kalenth, Hila ordered Kamina to stay on board ship until she got back, and judging by her tone, she really meant it.

Kamina did as she was told and didn't leave the Glyndwr, not even to venture out into the spaceport for something to eat. Instead, she watched vids, and slept, and paced, and worried. Finally, after several hours, Hila returned. When Hila entered the lounge, Kamina jumped up and greeted her with a big smile and a hug. She was disappointed that Hila did not greet her with the same enthusiasm.

"What's the matter?" Kamina asked.

"Huh?"

"You've been gone for hours and all I get is a half-hearted hug?" Kamina meant to tease Hila into saying something, but Hila remained tight-lipped and sombre, and this was never a good thing.

Hila walked across the room, went into a cupboard, pulled out a container, and poured herself a glass of durmywid, a strong synthetic alcohol that looked something akin to engine lubricant, according to Kamina, but it had a light aniseed taste they both enjoyed.

Kamina watched as her girlfriend threw back the contents of her glass in one gulp and then pour herself another.

"Hila, talk to me. Tell me what is going on," she said gently.

"I can't, not yet." Hila's reply was terse.

Kamina was getting impatient for answers. "What do you mean 'not yet'?" She folded her arms. "I think I have a right to know why you made us leave Shibato and come here."

"I'm trying to make things better for us," said Hila.

"What do you mean?" Kamina asked.

"I want to take care of you, and if things work out, I'll be able to do that."

"Did you get another job?" Excited at the prospect, Kamina dropped her defensive posture.

"No," Hila replied.

"Then what?"

"I am— I'm not who you think I am."

Hila had stopped and corrected her speech, which Kamina thought odd. However, nothing Hila had done or said lately was normal.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Kamina asked suspiciously.

Hila came back with drink in hand and had Kamina join her on the couch.

Kamina sat down and gave Hila her full attention, expecting an explanation; however, she was not prepared for the explanation Hila was about to give her.

"My name is not Hila Llyte, it's Gral'hilanth. Gral'hilanth ap Falentha."

Kamina looked at her in bewilderment.

"Gral'hilanth Lintana ap Falentha," Hila added.

"I don't understand. That's an Elit name."

"I am Elit, or was," Hila replied.

"You're not making any sense." Kamina sat up on edge of the couch. "If you were born Elit, why in the universe would you give that all up to become a freighter captain?"

"It's a long story."

"Does this have something to do with why we came all the way to Kalenth?"

"Well, sort of. Let me explain," Hila replied.

"Yes, perhaps you should start at the beginning," Kamina said, leaning back and folding her arms again.

"You see," Hila got up from the couch and started pacing the floor in front of Kamina. "I was the eldest child born to Oalanic and Lintana ap Falentha. Growing up, I always knew I was meant to become an aloyd. Not only was it my calling, it was my greatest aspiration, for my father's sake as well as my own."

"Why is that?" Kamina was drawn into the story Hila was telling her, and she listened with more empathy.

"My father was Fethusal – a career military man. He married into the Elit when he met and fell in love with my mother. It was important that I become an aloyd and fulfil his deepest desire to see his daughter rise to the highest military ranks."

"I see," said Kamina. "Then what happened? Did you go to the Academy?"

"Yes, I went to The Elit Military Academy, but I made a mistake. It was a stupid mistake, and I paid the price for it. My family paid the price for it. I was expelled from the Academy, and to save my family from the shame of it, I left home, changed my name, even my looks. That was fifteen years ago, and I haven't been back since – until today."

"How awful for you. I'm sorry." Kamina got up and put her arms around Hila.

At first Hila was stiff, not readily accepting her girlfriend's comfort, but soon Kamina felt Hila give in and relax. Kamina tightened her hold. She wanted so much to kiss away Hila's troubles, but she sensed there was more to the story.

She loosened her hold and prompted Hila to continue. "Why didn't you tell me all this? Why hide it from me?"

"Because, I wanted to forget my past, but seeing Karthen brought it all back up again."

"Oh, so, that's why we came to Kalenth. You're trying to get them to accept you back."

"Yes."

"But what about us? I'm not Elit. I grew up on the street. Jarrel and Mirdo were Quernal. If you become Elit again, would you even be allowed to associate with me?"

"Of course. It just means we can't be open about our relationship, but that is a price I'm willing to pay to keep you safe."

Kamina pulled away from Hila. She had a horrible feeling in the pit of her stomach. "Can't be open about us? I'm not sure I'd like that. I love you, and I want everyone to know it."

"And I love you, and that wouldn't change. We just can't let other people know."

"Why?" Kamina was struggling to make sense of what Hila was telling her.

"For Elit, it is taboo." Hila closed the gap between them, put her hands on Kamina's shoulders, and tried reassuring her. "We'll have each other, we'll have wealth and comfort and above all, security. No more dealing with petty criminals, no more wondering whether the next payment is going to be in credits or plasma bolts. What do you say? Wouldn't you like that?"

Kamina didn't give a toss about wealth and comfort and all that, but she could see how important it was to Hila, and she loved Hila enough to consider it. "I guess so."

"Good, that's settled. I'm pleased that you agree."

"Whoa! I'm not saying 'yes'. I'm saying I'd consider it, because it seems so important to you."

Hila leaned in. "Thank you," she whispered into Kamina's expectant mouth and then sealed it with a smouldering kiss.

At that point, Kamina would have agreed to just about anything, but something didn't add up. Kamina reluctantly broke the kiss. "But what makes you think they will accept you, after all these years?"

Hila poured herself another glass of durmywid, drank a mouthful, and said, "Because I have something to offer them."

"What?"

"Karthen," Hila replied.

"Kikola? What about Kikola?" Kamina asked warily.

"She betrayed me, so I am going to repay her in kind."

Kamina put some distance between the two of them. "What do you mean 'repay her in kind'?"

"I'm going to tell the Council about Karthen's plans to run away – turn her back on her career, her family – all for the love of a slave. The fact that Tehvay is female makes it worse."

Kamina was horrified. "You can't!"

"Can't what?"

"Betray our friends."

"Karthen is no friend of mine," Hila scoffed.

"You said Kikola betrayed you. How exactly?"

"She destroyed my life, and now I am going to destroy hers."

"But why? They were nice, and they made a lovely couple. You can't destroy them for your own needs."

Hila's frowned. "I'd destroy anything and anyone for this chance." Glancing at Kamina, she added "…for the both of us."  Hila's expression turned stony. "Besides, Karthen was responsible for getting me expelled. Now, she's willingly giving up what I was forced to give up because of her."

"What about Tehvay? Doesn't she deserve to be happy?"

"Why should I care about a slave? It's you and me that matter."

"Is there any other way you can become Elit again without hurting them?"

"You don't understand," Hila replied. "I had everything laid out before me. I was to be an aloyd – a rank that my father could never have achieved, but was meant for me in his honour. Karthen destroyed that. She smiled as she destroyed it. She enjoyed it. Now, it's my turn to enjoy destroying her. I'm going to reclaim not just what was meant for me, but for my father, and my family. Can you understand that?"

Kamina stared at Hila. "I never knew you could be so mean. Can't you just forget it? Forgive Kikola and just move on."

Hila tried another tack. "If you could get back at whoever was responsible for the deaths of Jarrel and Mirdo – or your real parents – you would. This is the same."

"No! It's not the same," Kamina replied. She felt angry for Hila bringing up her adopted parents. "Both my birth family and my adopted family were taken from me, and yes, I would have done anything to not have them die. But avenge them? After seeing what revenge is doing to you, how it is twisting you into a cold-hearted, bitter person, I'm not so sure. Perhaps the price for revenge is too high. I know I wouldn't destroy innocent lives in the process."

"Karthen is not innocent. Fifteen years ago, that snot-nosed brat destroyed my career and ruined my life, and now that high and mighty bitch thinks she can run away with her slave with no day of reckoning? If bringing her down gets me what I want, then I consider it a win-win."

"Do you hear yourself?"

"What?"

"You are willing to destroy Kikola and Tehvay's happiness and freedom just so you can become Elit again, without any regard to what it will do to us. You may be able to live with that, but I'm not sure I can!"

"Don't be so melodramatic," Hila replied.

"Me, melodramatic? You are such a hypocrite!"

"What's that supposed to mean?" Hila's tone was defensive.

"You condemn Kikola for wanting to be free to love Tehvay, and in the same breath you tell me we're going to have to keep our love a secret so you can be Elit again. You are some piece of work Hila, or Gral'hilanth, or whatever your real name is!"

Kamina stormed off before she said something she might really regret.  

~~~~

Hila had thought about going after Kamina – to try and make her understand; however, she never got the chance, because her father called to inform her that the Council would see her.

Hila sat in the anteroom of the Council Chambers having made her statements to the Council members. Her father sat in a chair next to her. He looked pensive, maybe even worried. After all, Hila surmised, Oalanic had taken a huge risk to bring his disgraced daughter to give testimony against Aloyd Karthen.

"Whatever happens, Father, I just want to express my appreciation for your support in this matter."

"I am not sure I have done you a service, daughter. This could go against you. I am not sure your mother can endure the disgrace a second time."

"And you, father?" Hila asked.

"I am not prepared to lose you again, whatever happens," Oalanic replied.

Hila almost rose to give her father a hug, but that was not the Elit way. Control and decorum were the watchwords of appropriate behaviour. Instead, she gave him a slight nod of appreciation.

It had been more than an hour since The Council of Administration had sequestered themselves behind the massive doors to decide her fate. Finally, the metal doors opened. Council members started filing out of the chamber room. One of the figures detached from the flow and headed towards Hila and her father. It was her cousin, Ill'sandreth – the Falentha representative on the Council. Both Hila and her father rose as she approached them.

Ill'sandreth ushered them into a private room off the antechamber to relay the outcome of the meeting.

Hila could not believe it. She stood there in stunned silence.

"Another close vote," said Ill'sandreth. "I am afraid the Council's decision is to do nothing. Karthen has forsaken her position in the Elit, her destiny as the next Rivelor. The shame is to be carried by her family for generations. The Council deems that punishment enough."

"What?" Hila blurted in disbelief.

Her father gave her a sharp glance. "What of Gral'hilanth?" asked Oalanic.

Ill'sandreth glanced at Hila then down to the floor before giving her relatives the news. "It is the decision of the Council that Gral'hilanth can regain her status as Elit, but she will be Hebsifilla."

It took Hila a few moments to register the word. She looked to her father, whose face was drained of colour. Those who, for whatever reason, could not fulfil their chosen role were labelled Hebsifilla. It was a name that was pitied, and only admitted with embarrassment. It meant you were Elit in name only. You did not contribute to the betterment of society; you were only a drain on it. It was to have been her fate fifteen years ago – which was why she fled – but this time, for Hila, it was a way in.

"Well, that is it then," Oalanic said with resignation.

"I will accept it – for now. At least it is a start," Hila tried to put a positive spin on the ruling.

"There is something of which you should be aware," continued Ill'sandreth. "The vote to accept you back was overwhelming; however, the vote for whether to send you back to the Academy to complete your training as an aloyd, or make you Hebsifilla was closer."

Both Hila and her father reacted with surprise.

Ill'sandreth glanced around the room and then lowered her voice. "There might be another way to achieve your goal and become an aloyd."

"Really?" asked Hila. "What do I have to do?"

"Go to this address." She handed Hila a data chip.

"When?"

"Now."

~~~~

The address took Hila into the heart of Ralkatar, Kalenth's capital city – a city of gleaming white high-rise buildings dotting the otherwise lush verdant stretches of parklands and clear blue canals that fed into a vast sea to the west. She entered the lift that took her to the penthouse. When the lift stopped, Hila was directed by an automated voice to disembark and proceed to Penthouse 1A.

A female slave met Hila at the door and showed her into the lounge. While Hila was waiting for the penthouse owner to arrive, she took in the ambiance of the room and the bold design. Reds, pinks, blues, greens, yellows, and oranges fought for dominance. Pictures of sunlit landscapes, vases of flowers and animal figurines made of precious metals were everywhere Hila looked. As she took in the opulence of the residence, her curiosity increased.

Pride of place was given to a portrait of two young, fair-haired boys.

"Those are my sons," said a slight woman with long, light-blonde hair, who smiled as brightly as the décor as she greeted Hila.

In contrast to the vibrancy of the colourful room, the woman was dressed in a long black tunic with an open collar and flowing trousers underneath. The clothes made her seem more austere than the surroundings would suggest. "Do you know who I am?"

"No," replied Hila, though she surmised that whoever this was, she was someone important.

The woman didn't seem offended. "My name is Ambra Kartrine ap Lentol. I am the Council Member for Military Operations."

Hila was excited to be in the presence of the one person who could help her become an aloyd, but she didn't want to appear too eager. "I am honoured to make your acquaintance, but I'm not sure why I am here – in Ralkatar."

"Yes, that would seem a bit confusing," Ambra admitted. "I do have a residence in The Civic, near the Academy. I keep this flat for more 'private' meetings," the councillor explained, "like this one."

"Oh," replied Hila. "Very… colourful," was all she could think of to say.

"May I offer you a drink?" Ambra directed the slave towards a cabinet positioned against a wall. "What would you like? Durmywid? That is your favourite, is it not?"

Hila nodded.

"Excellent!" Ambra said. While the drink was being prepared, Ambra gestured towards a yellow couch on the opposite side of the room. "Please have a seat. We have much to discuss."

"I'm sure we do," Hila said, taking a seat.

Ambra shook her head. "Still speaking like a Quernal."

"Apologies."

"Never mind," said Ambra as she joined Hila on the couch.

The drinks were served and the slave took its position against the wall, eyes staring blankly downward. It had been many years since Hila had been around slaves. She was still keenly aware of their presence.

The two women sipped on their drinks in silence until the councillor enquired if the durmywid was to Hila's liking. Hila assured her it was first rate. After a few more minutes, Ambra got down to the business at hand.

"Did your cousin Ill'sandreth say anything to you about the reason for this meeting?"

"No, she just said that there might be another way to become an aloyd, besides going back to the Academy, and then she gave me your address." 

"I see," the Council Member for Military Operations said thoughtfully. "Gral'hilanth… may I call you Gral'hilanth, or do you prefer 'Hila'?"

Hila's eyebrows registered her surprise at hearing an Elit use her Quernal name. "How do you know my—"

Ambra chuckled. "I know all there is to know about you, my dear." She took the last sip of her drink and put the glass on the table. "For example, I know that you have spent the better part of fifteen years in exile, living among the Quernal as a freighter captain."

Hila suddenly felt like a bug under a microscope. "Yes, that is true."

"I know that you made your living transporting cargo for anyone willing to pay, especially a man named Zerbilla."

"That's righ—I mean, that is correct."

"I know that you travel with a companion – a female companion," said Ambra as she sidled a little closer to Hila.

"Yes," Hila replied warily. Does she really know everything about me? She wondered. Hila looked into her durmywid. "What is your point?"

Ambra reached out and took the glass from Hila. She swirled the durmywid around in the glass for a few moments, and then drank it.

Hila was immediately thrown by the unusual behaviour. What have I got myself into?

"The Hegemony is broken," she said. "Or more to the point, the Elit are broken."

"I know I have been away a long time, but just how are the Elit broken?" Hila asked.

Ambra made a slight hand gesture. The slave hurried across the room and came back with two more glasses of durmywid.

"We have become too big," Ambra answered as the slave placed the drinks on the table. "There are too many voices, too many opinions. We waste our time training Elit to become artists and businesspeople. We should be civic leaders and soldiers. We should be rulers."

Ambra paused to take a sip of her drink, and Hila suspected it was also to see how Hila would react. Hila had been in countless business negotiations, so she knew better than to react one way or another. Though, this was unlike any business meeting she had ever been in.

The councillor casually continued the conversation. "What do you know of ancient history? Of Midoith, the planet on which our race originated?" Ambra shifted position, turning to face Hila and leaning forward almost as if she wanted to trap Hila in her seat.

Is she trying to seduce me? There's definitely a bit of flirting going on, Hila thought.

"Very little," replied Hila. "I know it lies in the Seconthan Republic, they call it Earth – barely habitable and exhausted of nearly all resources."

"That is about all most people know. However, that is now; I am talking about the distant past. When humans settled in this part of the Galaxy, the founding families of The Kalenth Hegemony had a vision – one based on an ancient civilisation on Midoith called the Romans."

Hila mentally ran through her recollections of ancient history from school. "Yes, I have heard of them. The Romans knew that only the best should be allowed to rule and that only a few can be the best," Hila said, reciting something she remembered from a lecture.

"Indeed," Ambra replied. "The Romans conquered many lands, but their ruling class remained the same at its core. That is where the Hegemony has strayed. As systems are conquered or annexed, we have increased the number of Elit families accordingly."

"The Falentha family joined the Elit during the first Expansion," Hila pointed out.

"As did the Lentol family," Ambra replied.  

"There are some on the Council that feel the Elit have become too many, that it is time to thin the numbers, before the next Expansion."

Hila stared at the minister. "Are you talking about civil war?"

"No. I am talking about culling the dead weight and making The Elit strong again." Ambra turned away from Hila and took another drink. She seemed irritated. "The debacle over Aloyd Karthen, not once, but twice, has shown that the Council has been weakened by such liberal attitudes. It should have been a simple decision. She killed an Elit. She should have been executed." She put her glass down and once more turned to face Hila.

"How do you plan to 'thin the numbers' without killing Elit?" asked Hila.

"That is not a problem if they are no longer Elit," the councillor replied. "However, I am speaking in poetic terms. Once declared non-Elit, they will have no power."

"Why do you want to do this?"

"The common people have infected us, tainted our purity for so long, we do not realise it. The Elit will be stronger once we rid ourselves of this infection."

Hila felt offended and made it known as politely as she could. "My father was Fethusal."

"I am not speaking about your family. Your father is a fine military officer and has been a great example of what an Elit should be."

"My thanks for saying so," Hila replied. "So, let me see if I understand. You are of the opinion that the Council has become ineffectual, because the ranks of Elit have grown too large and somehow become 'tainted'."

"To put it simply, yes. Aloyd Karthen is a prime example of this. She was to be the next Rivelor, but she has thrown away her career for the love a female slave? You, yourself brought us this news. It is depraved, would you not agree?"

"Well, I, uh yes." The effects of the durmywid were dulling Hila's usually quick wits.

Ambra smiled enigmatically. "We know that the Quernal indulge in certain… how shall I phrase it… unnatural practices. Things that Elit should not do, at least not openly. We must be strong. We must resist the urges. That is just one of the ways we have become infected. Over time, with a smaller, stronger Elit, these influences will become a thing of the past."

"And until such a time, what do we do about these… urges?"

"Resist them. Or find an outlet for them discreetly."

Hila wasn't quite sure, but she had the feeling Councillor Lentol wasn't speaking in generalities.

"What part am I to play in this?"

Ambra sidled closer to Hila on the couch. "I don't have the authority to grant you a commission as an Aloyd. However, if I don't tell the Council, they won't know."

Ambra got up, opened the drawer on a nearby side table, and took out a small black box. She opened the box and allowed Hila a glance at its contents. Hila immediately stood to attention.

Ambra said, "If anyone asks, you are Gral'hilanth Lintana ap Falentha, Aloyd, Third-Class." She handed Hila the box containing her rank insignia: a reverse 'C' with one over bar. "Hopefully, you won't have to maintain the deception too long."

Hila was elated, but then suspicious. Who am I going to have to kill for it? she wondered.

"Do you accept?"

"Yes!" Hila replied.

"Good. I want you to remember to whom you owe your loyalty."

"To you, of course," Hila said without hesitation.

"In three days, I want you to report to the Ralkatar spaceport. There will be a ship waiting to take you to Nediam where you'll rendezvous with, and take command of the heavy cruiser Relentless.  Do not let the crew know your true status. As far as they are aware, they will be on manoeuvres testing out the upgraded systems. Stick to the borders and away from the core worlds for the time being. Avoid contact with anyone but me. I am positioning the fleet carefully, and when the time is right, we strike. I will want you by my side when we do."

"I appreciate the faith you have in me. I will not let you down."

"No, I don't think you would ever disappoint." The blonde-haired woman cast a long glance at Hila. "We need to be strong. We can be stronger together… and if we…" Ambra raised her hand and stroked Hila's cheek, "… cannot resist, then we can help each other."

Hila knew the kind of 'help' Ambra was referring to, and she was willing to do whatever was necessary to secure her position as an aloyd – even that. "I am at your command, and at your service, ma'am," Hila said knowingly.

Ambra smiled and said, "Then you need only do one other thing."

"What is that?"

"You are to complete the mission you failed at the Academy."

"Huh? How can I do that? That girl could be anywhere."

"We are Elit, we have ways of finding people." Ambra held out a data chip. "This will tell you where, and who, she is."

~~~~

When Hila finally got back to the Glyndwr, she found Kamina lying on the bed asleep with a bottle of durmywid propped in the crook of her arm. Hila gently removed it and placed it on the floor.

"Hey," slurred Kamina. "Thought you forgot 'bout me. Been gone ages," The first syllable of 'ages' was drawn out to represent how long she thought Hila had been gone.

"I know, I'm sorry. But I'm back now," said Hila.

"So… what have you been up to?"

"I have had a very eventful day. I have regained my position in the Elit and been granted a commission as an Aloyd, Third-Class," Hila said.

"Is that good? That is good, right?"

"I guess so."

"What's wrong? I thought this was want you wanted." Kamina made an attempt to sit up.

Hila shook her head. "It is, but before I can don the uniform of an aloyd, I have to complete what I failed to do at the Academy."

"Then do it. Whatever it is."

"I can't."

"Why not?"

Hila sat on the edge of the bed. "They want me to kill someone."

"Kill someone?" Kamina sat up and tried to sober up. "Why?"

Hila dredged up all her reserves of courage to make her confession. "Remember when I said that I had attended the Academy, but that I was expelled because I made a mistake?"

"Vaguely," Kamina replied rubbing her head, as if that would cure her hangover.

Hila explained, "Kami, I need you to listen to what I have to say."

"Surrrre," Kamina drawled. She tried to focus her eyes on her Hila but was having trouble. The lights in the bunkroom were too bright.

"Kami!" Hila raised her voice to get Kamina's attention.

"Huh? Oh, sorry." Kamina started to sink into the pillows again, but she caught herself nodding off and opened her eyes wider. "You were saying?"

Hila sighed. "Fifteen years ago, as part of an Academy exercise, I was sent to Polen City with instructions to kill everyone at a particular address."

"Polen City?" Kamina sat up straighter. "I'm not going to like this, am I." It wasn't a question.

"I killed three people. A man, a woman, and a boy," Hila said sombrely. "The fourth one was a little girl, but I—"

"You!" Kamina bolted upright. "It was you who killed my family!"

"I swear, I didn't know it was your family," Hila plaintively tried to explain.

"Why are you telling me all this?"

"They want me to finish what I started, but I can't," Hila loudly bemoaned.

Kamina didn't hear; she launched herself at Hila. Hila easily avoided the drunken lunge. Angry at missing, Kamina turned and came at her again.

Hila cried out as sharp nails scraped across her face, narrowly missing her right eye. "Kami, please!"

Hila's plea fell on deaf ears. Hila tried to grab hold of her, but Kamina was wild with rage.

Blood trickled into Hila's eye as Kamina continued to batter her around the head.

"Kami, stop!" She reached out and grabbed at a wrist. "Ow!" Hila gave an involuntary cry as Kamina's forehead crashed into her nose. Pain flared across her face, and she tasted blood. Without thinking, Hila brought the palm of her hand up and pushed Kamina away, hitting the bridge of Kamina's nose with all her might.

With blood oozing from her nostrils, Hila stumbled to the washbasin, soaked a towel, and held it to her bloodied nose. After a few moments, the bleeding had stopped. Hila realised that she had not heard any sounds coming from Kamina. She knew she had hit Kamina fairly hard, so she expected screams of pain or cursing from the other side of the room. There was nothing. Silence.

Hila spun around. Kamina was lying on the floor, her head propped up against the bulkhead. There was something terribly wrong. Kamina's eyes were open, but they looked dull. As she noticed the angle of Kami's neck, Hila's stomach clenched in horror.

She rushed forward and fell to her knees by the younger woman. "Kami," she reached out and gently shook her. "Kami!" The reality finally set in. "Kami! Kami!" Hila sat back and sobbed. "Kamina," she whispered.

~~~~~

 

Hila didn't know how long she had been sitting in the bar. She knew she had turned down four propositions and staggered to the bathroom ten times. The number of drinks she had consumed eluded her. It was obviously not enough for her to run out of credit, so it was not time to leave.

She decided to have a nap before her next drink and laid her head down on the table. Disturbing images flashed through her inebriated brain. It was difficult to tell what was real. She dreamt that she was in a bar ordering a drink, only she kept getting served with the wrong drink. She cried out in frustration and jerked awake.

"I didn't order this," she slurred and pushed the glass in front of her away.

The glass was pushed back.

"Drink it."

"No! I didn't order it! I ordered durmywid. Just durmywid, no ice, no fruit. Why can't you get it right?"

She focussed on the glass and its pale white contents. Then, the hand pushing the glass towards her came into focus, and she allowed her gaze to follow the arm up towards the face. "Father?"

"Drink it! It will help sober you up, so I don't have to drag you out of here and cause a scene." Her father sat down next to her, took her hand and wrapped it around the glass. "Now drink."

A child-like smile formed on her face as she brought the glass to her lips, all the time keeping her eyes on her father. The bitter taste of penclur, a hangover cure, caused her to grimace, and her head started to clear. It was not enough to make her completely sober, but it was a start.

"What are you doing here?" he asked. "We have been looking for you for two days."

"She… Kami is dead."

"Yes, I know."

"She's dead! I kill—" her voice could not finish the sentence. She wanted to break down and cry, but some part of her could not do so in front of her father.

"You did what was asked of you. As you should have done fifteen years ago."

"I'm… I am sorry. I did not mean to disappoint you. I—I—she was my—" At that moment Hila wanted to grab her father by the collar and tell him what Kamina really meant to her. She could not lose him again. "She was my friend. I was so lonely after I was made to leave, and she was my friend. I don't… didn't have many. She was like family. I missed you so much."

He turned his head to the side to avoid looking at her. "A friend? Family? How can you say that about a… Labror? She was not fit company for you. You are better off without her, and she is better off dead."

Hila wanted to lash out and punch her father for insulting the memory of her girlfriend. In her mind, she did. "You are right," Hila heard herself say. "I have longed to return home to my family. It's best that there's nothing of that other life left. I will not disappoint you again. Please, say I can come back."

Oalanic turned to face his daughter. "It took many years to remove the stain of your failure. Even now, there are some that hold it against us. Your mother fought hard to get her family to accept me for her husband. Yes, it is permitted, but it is still looked down on by some to marry a military officer. People told your mother it was my non-Elit genes that caused your failure. She stood by me. That is what hurt the most, not your botched assignment."

"I really am so sorry," said Hila.

"Ambra ap Lentol is prepared to give you the rank of Aloyd, Third-Class. Do not disappoint your mother again."

It was as if a switch was flipped in her head: a lifeline thrown to a drowning woman; a chance; a chance for redemption; a chance for revenge.

"I promise," said Gral'hilanth.

~~~~~

Kikola had made herself scarce during the family reunion; she felt her presence was an intrusion in the private matter. Hours passed, and Kikola stood in the Veilan's garden just enjoying the feel of the suns on her face. One of the suns had already set, and the other was slowly nearing the horizon, when she heard a noise behind her. Kikola turned around and saw Tehvay emerging from her parents' house, red-eyed but with a contented smile on her face.

"I think I'm home," she said.

Kikola could only smile.

"You, my parents, Yuniph, here, now. I have a family and…" tears rolled gently down Tehvay's cheeks. "I didn't think I could cry anymore today." She chuckled as she wiped them away. "I have a family, and so do you. Come and join us."

They linked arms and walked into the house, closing the door behind them.

 

 

Author's Page

Back to the Academy