CHAPTER 4

 

Gatlor was the fifth planet in its system. Though it was currently experiencing a warm period in its geological history, nearly all settlements were enclosed and climate controlled. One of the exceptions was the island where the governor lived. Even in winter, the warmer sea currents from the equator and a large continent to the south blocking the stronger winds, made it possible to experience fresh air at a latitude where all other cities were sealed.

"Temperature outside is three degrees Celsius, with a wind chill of minus one Celsius," announced Captain Wurth, who had insisted on the honour of flying the aloyd's shuttle himself. "It'll be warmer down on the coast where the governor's residence is: ten degrees Celsius, wind chill eight Celsius."

Kikola knew her uniform would be adequate protection for her, but Tehvay would be very uncomfortable in her thin blue shirt and trousers.

Kikola had not considered the cold temperatures on Gatlor when she made the decision to bring Tehvay to the surface with her. That wasn't the only thing Kikola had not thought through. She wasn't sure it was proper protocol for her to show up with her personal slave on official Council business. However, since this mission was also an opportunity to see her cousin Trin'hale, the governor's wife, Kikola felt justified in having her personal slave accompany her.

"Captain, after we are down, take off your jacket and give it to my slave. You can stay with the shuttle."

"Yes, Aloyd." Wurth knew better than to question an order, even if, as Kikola could see, he found it a strange one.

"It will be too cold for you without it," Kikola explained to Tehvay.

"Thank you, Aloyd Karthen."

Wurth landed the craft smoothly and immediately stood up to remove his jacket. He took his possessions out of the pockets before holding it out to his superior officer.

"I said, give it to my slave, Captain," as Kikola opened the hatch and stepped down.

The wind was not strong, but it was bitterly cold, and she felt its sting on her face. Kikola looked up at the blue sky dotted with white clouds. As a child, she loved being outdoors. She would spend many hours just staring up at the clouds, captivated by their ever-changing shapes and imagining all sorts of fantastic creatures that the shapes made.

Kikola was disturbed from her reverie by soft footsteps behind her. She turned and looked at Tehvay huddled in Wurth's uniform jacket. It wasn't too long on her, but there was plenty of room in it for the lithe woman.

A transport trundled over from the distant control tower, its tyres crunching on the frozen ground, and came to a stop in front of them. A door in the rear opened and a tall, burly man, with deep-set brown eyes and a thick black beard, wearing a simple black suit, stepped out to greet the aloyd.

"Kikola! It's so good to see you." The Governor of Gatlor, Peltric ap Willenth, approached and gave her a big hug.

"It's good to see you too, Peltric," the aloyd replied as though the breath was being squeezed out of her lungs.

Peltric finally released her and pulled back. "Let me look at you," he said.

Kikola obliged and allowed Peltric to look her over.

"You certainly do justice to the uniform, I must say." Peltric beamed with almost paternal pride. "Although you are still too thin."

"Not so, you." Kikola glanced down at his waistline. "Trin'hale is feeding you too many sweets." she admonished him playfully.

"Speaking of Trin'hale – we better not keep her wait…" his voice trailed off as he saw Tehvay. His tone immediately changed to something a bit less welcoming. "I didn't realise you were bringing your slave with you."

"Is that a problem?" asked Kikola.

"There is no slave compartment on this vehicle. It will have to ride up front."

"It can ride in the back with us," said Kikola.

The governor raised an eyebrow at the unconventional suggestion but recovered quickly, "Of course."

Peltric gestured for Kikola to enter the vehicle. Kikola told Tehvay to get in first, and then climbed into the spacious, heated compartment after her. The governor eased his large frame into a seat and pressed a button on the bulkhead to close the hatch.

"I cannot wait for you to meet Rufen," said Peltric.

"How old is he now?"

"Three. Growing fast."

"What is he going to be?"

"A physicist."

Kikola nodded. "A good role."

"Yes, it is," beamed Peltric. "Will you be able to stay for dinner?" he inquired.

"Yes. Do you think we could have fresh fish?"

"Yes, of course. I know how much you like it." The governor pressed a comm button on the arm of his seat.  "Have the boat sent out to catch some fresh adag for dinner."

The voice on the other end acknowledged the governor's orders and Peltric ended the transmission and turned to Kikola. "Adag are presently spawning in the bay. They're a tasty white fish."

"Thank you. I promised my slave that it could have some real fish."

"You treat your slave well."

"Do you not treat yours well?"

"I think it's important that they're treated well, but one shouldn't spoil them."

"I will bear that in mind. It's my first personal slave, and I am not entirely sure what the limits are."

Kikola suddenly became aware that she was discussing Tehvay with Peltric while Tehvay was present. Normally, talking about a slave in front of it was no different than talking about a table. However, this time was different for Kikola. She glanced at Tehvay. The slave sat with her head bowed staring into her lap, and appeared to be unaware that she was being talked about.

"You will learn," said Peltric.

Kikola nodded. "Still, I would appreciate it if you could arrange for my slave to have some fresh fish for its meal."

She risked another look at the slave. For a moment, Kikola thought she saw Tehvay's mouth curl up in a smile.

"As soon as we arrive," the governor replied. He glanced out of the window. "Ah, and here we are."

Peltric led the way to the house. Trin'hale ap Willenth, the governor's wife, met them at the front door. She was a tall, broad shouldered woman with flowing blonde hair. She wore a mid-length dress of pastel green and yellow geometric shapes and sandals, which stood in contrast to the outside temperature.

"Welcome cousin!" Trin'hale smiled broadly and gave Kikola a warm hug.

"You are looking well, Trin," said Kikola.

"Look at you, little Kiko – a full Aloyd now, First-Class no less." Trin'hale ran a hand up and down Kikola's arm. "The real uniform at last. It suits you."

"It feels good to finally wear it."

"You only had the trainee's uniform the last time I saw you. When was it? Five years ago? Maybe now you have finished training, we can see each other a bit more often."

"I would like that," said Kikola with a smile.

"Kikola will be staying for dinner," Peltric said, "I have arranged for some fresh adag."

"Oh, good!" Trin'hale exclaimed.

"Well my dear, I have a few things to attend to before the Aloyd and I meet." Peltric kissed his wife on the cheek. "Kikola, you know where my office is. Come when you are ready."

The governor excused himself and left his wife and her cousin still standing at the front doorway.

"You must be chilled. Come inside and get yourself warm." Trin'hale completely disregarded Tehvay's presence as she led them into a bright sunlit room with a wall of windows offering a panoramic view over the sea.

An easel and canvas were set up in the corner.

Kikola immediately walked over to look at it. She was very impressed with the canvas; it captured the view from the window perfectly: from the grey-green of the land on the other side of the bay to the white tips of the waves on the dark blue, almost black, water.

"Very good," commented Kikola. "You have really captured the light reflecting off the waves perfectly."

"Thank you," her cousin replied.

"How is your portrait work nowadays?"

"I haven't done portraits in a long time. I found I am so much better at landscapes."

"Trin, your portraits may not have been all-time masterpieces, but you do yourself a disservice."

"Well, I have been wanting to paint Rufen, but I am afraid I am too out of practise to do him justice. Plus, he won't sit still long enough!" Trin'hale paused and her eyes took on a faraway look.

Kikola noted her cousin's look and put it down to Trin'hale reminiscing about all the times Kikola had sat for her cousin to sketch when she was a young girl. Those were simpler times, but that was over half her lifetime ago, and Kikola was focussed on her current role.

"What about you, Kiko? I know you won't be here long enough for a full portrait, but some sketches surely?"

"My regrets, but I must go and meet with Peltric, otherwise, I would have been happy to sit for you. Perhaps my slave, Tehvay, could sit for you?"

"Well, uh…" Trin'hale showed her disappointment. "If you are sure." She looked over to Tehvay standing by the wall near the door. "Hmm, good bone structure. Interesting face. Yes, it could make a good subject."

Kikola was pleased. "Please treat it as you would one of your own slaves." She turned to her slave and said, "Tehvay, do as Trin'hale instructs."

With a final nod to her cousin, Kikola left to find the governor.

~~~~

Tehvay watched Aloyd Karthen leave and suddenly felt lost. For the last nine days, the aloyd had been the only person Tehvay had seen. Being left alone with a total stranger felt like being dropped in the ocean and watching the life raft drift away.

"Sit over here in the sun. You can take that jacket off; it will be too warm with it on."

"Yes, T…La…" Tehvay stumbled over what to call her.

"Call me 'ma'am'," said Trin'hale, understanding the slave's uncertainty.

"Yes, ma'am." Tehvay took the borrowed jacket off and looked around for somewhere to put it.

"Put it on the back of that chair." Trin'hale pointed to a straight-back chair near a side table.

Tehvay did as she was told.

"Good. Now sit." Trin'hale gestured to a chair by the window.

Tehvay had never sat for a painting before. She wasn't sure what she was supposed to do, so she put her hands on her legs, looked straight ahead, and sat very, very still.

"Relax," the governor's wife said. "Turn your face a little to your left. That's it."

Tehvay felt very self-conscious sitting there while Trin'hale scratched away on a pad with a graphite marker.

"Have you been with Aloyd Karthen long?"

"Ten days, ma'am."

"Just lift your chin slightly." Trin'hale waved her marker at Tehvay. "There. Yes. Now hold still." Trin'hale continued to sketch. "How did you come to be in the service of Aloyd Karthen?"

"A gift, ma'am," Tehvay said without moving her lips.

"A gift?"

"Yes, ma'am. A graduation gift from her mother."

"I see. You must be of exceptional stock. My aunt would only want the best for her daughter."

Tehvay didn't move a muscle, but she wanted to laugh out loud. If the governor's wife only knew how Tehvay came to be the aloyd's personal slave, she might not be so impressed.

~~~~

Kikola remembered her way around the residence very well, even though she had only been here once before for the marriage ceremony between her cousin and the governor.  She walked to the opposite side of the mansion, and entered the governor's outer office. An aide stood up, offered a greeting, which the aloyd did not acknowledge, and showed her into the governor's inner office. Peltric was seated behind a massive desk and talking into the comm panel. He was apparently having trouble with the connection and gestured for Kikola to have a seat.

"Atmospheric conditions," he explained. "Two comm satellites went out of commission yesterday."

"Did these subversives do that?"

He shook his head. "Solar flare. They should be functional by tomorrow." He turned his attention back to the comm panel.

Kikola, however, was drawn to the windows behind the governor's desk. Like the room in which Kikola had left Trin'hale sketching Tehvay, this part of the house also had expansive windows, offering a view of the inland side of the island. The control tower at the shuttle pad was just visible on top of the hill, and beyond that a snow-capped mountain with dark clouds gathering behind it.

"Is that rain or snow?" she asked.

Peltric stood up and peered out of the window as well. "Probably snow, but it should stay on the south side of the island. We will be fine, unless the wind changes."

Kikola turned her attention back to the governor who was busily working the terminal on his desk. "Ah! I have her!" he announced. He hit a button and a speaker crackled into life. "Agent, report."

"Nothing, sir. All leads were dead ends," a woman's voice drifted from the speaker. While the governor's communicator was capable of making and receiving holographic communications, the field agent's portable device was limited to voice only. "The apartment has been empty for two months. The last people to rent it were… Ornell and Aelar Astean – a professional couple from Alopan. Ornell works for Plancore Engineering and was here on a six-month contract; Aelar's a freelance coder. They are now back on Alopan."

"Agent, this is Aloyd Karthen." Kikola interjected. "How far back did you check these people out?"

"All the way back to school, sir. They're clean."

"What about their friends, work colleagues?" Kikola asked.

"They received no visitors from off world. The only friends they appeared to make were their neighbours. One of them is a senior executive in a private firm who was being investigated for fraud two years ago and is under part time surveillance from the local security force. As I stated, all leads were useless."

"Thank you, Agent." Peltric cut the connection. "What are we going to do next?"

"If they want support, then they'll need to get their message to more people. One day they'll get it to the wrong person, and then we will have them."

"That could take a long time," the governor observed.

"Not if we force the issue," Kikola replied.

"How?"

"Instigate a curfew. Do random ID checks. Set up roadblocks. Make it difficult for people to get on and off world."

"That would play into their hands," Peltric pointed out. "We would become the very thing they despise and of which they are already falsely accusing us."

"Exactly. By doing so, more people will be susceptible to their propaganda," Kikola countered. "They'll become bolder and more visible. Once we expose and deal with the ringleaders, then we can relax the sanctions, make reparations, offer tax breaks or something." Kikola could see Peltric mulling over what she said. "Think about it. We have a few days before we need to make a decision, but the Council will not wait forever."

"If, and I mean if we do as you suggest, I want the decision to come from a Council vote. I want a Council member to make the announcements. These are my people, and if I am to live with them afterwards, I cannot have them see me as the instigator of these measures."

"Peltric, you are a member of an Elit family. The Quernals make no distinction between the Elit and the Council. If a Council member goes on a news broadcast and makes the announcement, it may as well have come from you as far as they are concerned."

"You have always had a very binary view of things. Black-white. Right-wrong. Us-them." The governor commented. "I hope that we can resolve this matter before it comes to taking those sorts of measures."

"Resolving the situation and preserving the Hegemony is all that matters," Kikola said.

Peltric nodded slowly. "We still have a couple of hours until dinner. What would you like to do?"

"I—" Kikola's comm unit started beeping. "Excuse me," she said to Peltric and activated her comm on her Pup. The military's comm units were fitted with holographic capability, and a small replica of Captain Wurth's head and shoulders appeared over the device built into the cuff of her uniform jacket. "Go ahead, Captain."

"Aloyd Karthen, I've just received a weather update: a snowstorm is coming in from the south. A few flakes have already started falling here, and it is expected to get worse within the hour. I would advise leaving ASAP."

"How long is the storm expected to last?"

"Unsure. The wind direction shifted suddenly about twenty minutes ago and pushed the storm this way. It could change again, but I have no information on how likely that is. Based on the current situation the storm could last three or four hours."

"All right, Captain." Kikola replied. "Be ready to leave. I will return to the shuttle—"

"Nonsense," Peltric interrupted. "You would never get back to your shuttle in time. You must stay the night. I insist. Besides, I promised Trin'hale you would be having dinner with us."

"Are you sure it would not be an imposition?"

"Trin'hale would have my – uh…" Peltric looked down at his groin. "…If I allowed you to leave in a snowstorm. Stay. Your captain can make it ahead of the storm if he leaves now. He can come back for you in the morning, after breakfast. Besides, you haven't met Rufen yet."

"Change of plan, Captain. Return to the Sword immediately. Come back for me tomorrow."

"Yes, Aloyd. I'm leaving now. I'll be back for you tomorrow at 07:00 KST, 09:00 local."

"Good. Karthen out."

"That's settled, then," said the governor. "I will see to the arrangements."

~~~~

Kikola returned to the room where Trin'hale was sketching Tehvay. The sky outside was already beginning to darken, partly from the coming storm and partly from the setting sun.

A young boy sat on the floor at Trin'hale's feet playing with a toy spaceship. Trin'hale scooped him up and carried him towards Kikola.

"Rufen Asto Lanaro ap Willenth – meet your cousin, Kikola Mariantha Jacand ap Karthen."

The boy smiled shyly.

Kikola took his hand and shook it. "Pleased to meet you, Rufen."

The three-year-old tugged his hand away and buried his head in his mother's shoulder. "He is shy around people he does not know."

Kikola patted the boy's shoulder, which got him to turn his head and look at her. "I know how you feel, Rufen," she confided. She bent down and picked up the toy spaceship.

"I wish I had one of these when I was your age. How does it work?"

Rufen was happy to get down from his mother's arms and demonstrate.

After a few minutes Trin'hale interrupted the demonstration. "Well, young master Rufen, it is time for your bath and bed."

"Nooo," the boy protested.

"Marsak!" Trin'hale called, and a young male slave came and took the child off his mother. "I will come and see you before you go to sleep," she said as the boy waved goodbye.

Kikola noticed Tehvay still sitting in a chair trying to hold her head up in an uncomfortable position.

"Has my slave behaved itself?" She wandered over to look at the sketch Trin'hale had made.

Kikola became lost in thought as she examined the pencil sketch. Trin'hale had captured Tehvay's features perfectly: the gentleness of her eyes, the delicate strands of her hair, the fullness of her lips. She reached out and traced a line on the cheek. She suddenly realised what she was doing and dropped her hand to her side.

"Yes," answered Trin'hale. "It's been no trouble." She looked out of the window. "The light is going, so I think I will stop."

"That will be all, Tehvay," said Kikola.

"Yes, Aloyd Karthen." Tehvay relaxed her posture before standing up.

"Your portrait work has improved, Trin. You should really try and do some more." Kikola's eyes fell back to studying the sketch. "I wish I could draw like that."

A puzzled frown crossed Trin'hale's face. "What a strange thing to say!"

"What is?"

"You wishing you could draw." Trin'hale went over to her worktable and started putting her drawing instruments away. "You are a soldier."

"I can wish, can I not?"

"What is the point of wishing?" asked Trin'hale. "It only leads to discontent over what one cannot have, and discontentment leads to anarchy. Our society thrives by having balance. We need artists and soldiers; we need musicians and scientists. What would happen if everyone did what they wished? It would be chaos! If everyone decided they wished to be an artist, then who would be our business leaders, our politicians, our judges, our scientists, our soldiers? The Hegemony would crumble without each of us having our defined role."

Trin'hale's words deeply resonated with Kikola. She believed those words. She had been taught those concepts from the time she was suckling at her mother's breast. They made up the very fibre of the Elit, the very fibre of the Hegemony, the very fibre of her being. Yet, there was a very tiny something, hidden somewhere inside Kikola, that screamed she was wrong.

"I didn't mean to suggest that I wanted to turn my back on my role," she said. "I merely expressed a desire that in my free time I could learn to draw or paint."

"I know you have a deep appreciation of art, Kiko - there is nothing wrong in that - but let us hear no more of these ridiculous desires."

Trin'hale held out her hand and Kikola relinquished the sketch of Tehvay.

"I… you are right. It's a strange thing to say. Forget I even mentioned it."

Trin'hale smiled. "Already forgotten."

"Peltric has invited me to stay overnight," said Kikola, changing the subject. "There is a powerful storm coming up from the south."

As if on cue, a flurry of snow started falling outside the window, and the room's lights came on automatically as the light level fell.

Trin'hale could hardly contain her delight in hearing that she would have more time with her cousin. "You may have the guestroom on the second floor – first door on your right. Lovely view. There is no adjoining cell for your slave, I am afraid." Trin'hale turned to Tehvay. "The slave quarters are in the basement. You'll see the door on the left of the staircase."

"Thank you, Ma'am." Tehvay looked towards her owner for confirmation.

"That won't be necessary," Kikola countered. "My slave, I mean. It can stay in my room."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. It can sleep on the floor."

"As you wish."

Trin'hale looked a little surprised, but not as surprised as Kikola felt. She had no idea why she said such a thing.

~~~~

Tehvay was suspicious. Her owner had been more than generous so far, even getting a softer mattress and pillow for her bunk on board the Conqueror, but after a lifetime of sexual abuse at the hands of her previous owners, Tehvay did not for one moment believe she would be sleeping on the floor.

Tehvay stayed in the guest suite while the aloyd dined downstairs with her relatives. As promised, a meal of fresh fish was delivered to the room. Despite her apprehensions about staying with her owner, Tehvay thoroughly enjoyed the fresh caught fish she had for her evening meal. It far surpassed anything she had eaten aboard the Conqueror. In fact, even in her years of freedom, Tehvay could not remember having had a finer meal.

She was just clearing away her tray, when the door opened and her owner returned. Tehvay immediately stopped what she was doing, turned around, and stared at the floor. Though it had been more than nine days since she had been returned to servitude, Tehvay could not help feeling a deep sense of resentment and shame at such submissive behaviour: behaviour that at one time would have been her only response.

The aloyd came into the room and saw the empty food tray in Tehvay's hands. "Did you enjoy your meal?" she enquired.

"Yes. It was delicious. Thank you, Aloyd Karthen."

"Good. I promised you would have some real fish. I don't like to break my promises," the aloyd said cordially.

"No, Aloyd Karthen…I mean… I appreciate the effort you made. The fish really was delicious."

"Captain Wurth will be back to pick us up in the morning, so it's time for bed," her owner announced abruptly.

"Yes, Aloyd Karthen," Tehvay replied. "Shall I help you undress this evening?"

"Yes."

Wait, did she just say 'yes'? Normally she doesn't want my help. "Yes, Aloyd Karthen?"

"Yes, you may undress me."

Tehvay's slave conditioning kicked in, and she jumped to the task of removing the aloyd's tight-fitting uniform: first the jacket, next the boots, then the trousers. I guess it was only a matter of time, she thought with some disappointment.

As Tehvay was removing the aloyd's undergarments, she was aware of a subtle change in her owner's breathing and muscle tautness. A feeling of dread clutched at Tehvay's chest. She was all too familiar with these almost imperceptible yet unmistakeable signs of arousal. She fought to control the shaking in her hands and the tears that wanted to fall.

Nothing was said as the two moved away from each other: Aloyd Karthen towards the bed and Tehvay towards the door of the bedroom.

"I know I told my cousin that you would sleep on the floor," said the aloyd as she slipped under the covers. "However, it's cold and this bed is more than big enough…"

Here it comes, thought Tehvay. She felt a weight of apprehension. She had hoped this owner would be different.

"So, you may have that side."

"This side?" Tehvay pointed to the currently unoccupied side nearest the window.

"Well, yes. I am on this side." With that, the aloyd dimmed the lights and turned over on her right side towards the centre of the bedroom.

"Yes, Aloyd Karthen."

Tehvay resigned herself to her fate and got undressed. She glanced to see if there was any movement by her owner, but there was none. She slowly folded her blue uniform and put it on a nearby stool. Still the aloyd did not stir. Tehvay carefully pulled back the covers, and still her owner did not move. It surprised Tehvay. The aloyd had not even attempted a casual look at her the whole time Tehvay was undressing.

Tehvay warily settled down at the very edge of the very large bed, and turned her back to her owner. She lay there not moving a muscle, hoping that her owner would forget about her and fall asleep, waiting for the touch or the command. But it never came. Just as she started to fall asleep, Tehvay sensed a rhythmic movement on the other side of the bed and could hear her owner's breathing quicken. She could tolerate the waiting no longer and decided to pre-empt the command.

"Do you wish me to service you, Aloyd Karthen?"

"What?" The response was sharp.

"Service you, Aloyd Karthen." Tehvay felt the shame burn her cheeks. She checked her emotions before continuing. "Isn't that why you have me sharing the bed?"

"What do you mean, 'service'?"

Tehvay slowly turned to face her owner. In the dim light she could see that there appeared to be genuine confusion on the aloyd's face. "Sex. Do you want oral or—"

"What are you talking about? I… do not… Did I not tell you I would never do that to you?"

Tehvay recalled that the aloyd had said she would never abuse her, but that's what her previous owners had said at some point, before the inevitable happened. Though back then, Tehvay did not realise it was abuse; it was only after gaining her freedom that she learnt what they had done, or made her do, was wrong – even criminal. Now Tehvay was the one who looked confused. She was sure she had interpreted the signs correctly. "My apologies, Aloyd Karthen."

"We will say no more of this," said the aloyd.

"As you command."

They both settled down with their backs to each other. It was a long time before either fell asleep.

 

Chapter 5

Author's Page

Back to the Academy