CHAPTER 7

 

Having left Kalenth, the Conqueror was streaking towards a rendezvous with its striker group in the Dameb system. Since leaving Gatlor, the days on board the Conqueror for Tehvay and her owner had fallen into a comfortable pattern. Tehvay felt none of the awkwardness at being asked to sit with the aloyd and watch a vid after their evening meal, or even just having a simple conversation. Tehvay would quiz the aloyd about her childhood and Elit society. The aloyd herself, though, rarely asked about Tehvay. She would talk about her own interests, instead.    

This particular evening, the aloyd allowed Tehvay to choose what they would watch. This act should have surprised Tehvay, but she was getting used to the aloyd's atypical behaviour as an owner – getting used to it and liking it.

It was not the level of freedom to which she had become accustomed while classed as a renegade, but it reminded her of the first year of being free: being unsure of what to do or how to act. Yet, every time Tehvay thought she might have overstepped a mark, Aloyd Karthen seemed to allow it.

The vid ended. Tehvay had enjoyed the film, but she could tell that the aloyd seemed somewhat distracted.

"So, what did you think of the vid?"

"Hmm? Oh, it was fine." Aloyd Karthen sat up straight. "Tehvay, I want you with me," said Aloyd Karthen.

What does she mean she wants me with her? Tehvay thought. Are we not sitting here together watching a vid? Tehvay's mind flooded with all sorts of thoughts of what her owner could mean. She viewed such requests with suspicion.

"While I am on duty tomorrow, I mean," the aloyd hastened to add.

Tehvay felt a measure of relief. "I'd like that." Her response was said without thought, but upon further consideration, Tehvay realised it was true. She did like spending time with the aloyd. At their first meeting, she had only seen a stern-faced officer. However, over time Tehvay had come to see a woman – a woman who, when she smiled, was rather attractive.

The aloyd shifted position to face Tehvay. Tehvay turned in her seat, mirroring her owner.

"Yes, I would like you on the bridge of the Sword with me tomorrow. Mind you, this will not be a sightseeing tour. There are protocols that must be followed."

Tehvay nodded her understanding.

"An important guest will be visiting the ship, and I have arranged a small repast. You will be required to serve."

Tehvay became aware of the reality of the situation. Whatever Tehvay thought of the aloyd, whatever strange behaviour Aloyd Karthen might exhibit while around her, the woman was her owner, and Tehvay was her slave. "Of course. It is my duty to serve and obey," Tehvay said.

"I… I am a little concerned that the free expression I have allowed you in private…"

"I understand," Tehvay assured the aloyd. "Don't worry. I can play my part."

"Of course, you can," Aloyd Karthen replied. "I sometimes forget that you have been a slave a long time."

"No, I will play my part, because I want to please you, not because I am required to. In that way, I still have free will. Do you understand the difference?"

"I am trying to understand," replied Aloyd Karthen.

In that moment, Tehvay didn't see a strong military officer in charge of hundreds of soldiers; she saw a shy, and dare she say, a lonely woman. Tehvay was surprised to find herself feeling empathy for her owner. Or was it…?

Tehvay felt the need speak to avoid confronting the feelings that were starting to surface. "I know we are going to Otopa, but what for?"

"I don't know. I will find out tomorrow," the aloyd replied.

"Is the governor another relative of yours? Is that the important guest?"

"No," Aloyd Karthen chuckled. "It's not a planet controlled by the Hegemony."

Tehvay felt embarrassed. "Oh, I didn't know."

"I suppose you didn't receive a proper education," said Aloyd Karthen earnestly.

"No," Tehvay replied. "I was taught to read and write, but mostly I was taught to obey."

Now it was the aloyd who was red-faced. "I am sorry. I did not mean…" The aloyd trailed off mid-apology. "Otopa is in the Dameb system," the aloyd continued. "Dameb fell into Hegemony control about seventy-years ago. It was part of The Losper Empire, but was conquered in the last days of the war. The peace treaty left Otopa in the hands of the Empire, while the rest of the system is part of the Hegemony."

"That's complicated," observed Tehvay.

"To say the least," her owner replied. "Every so often, there is some incident that tests the ability of each side's diplomats not to call for armed conflict to resolve the situation. Perhaps this time they have failed."

"Do you mean we could be going to war?"

The aloyd looked with concern at the slave. "Don't worry. If war had started, I would have heard about it."

"But you could be going to start a war."

Aloyd Karthen replied, "If that is what is expected of me, then that is what I will do."

That means I could be going into a war! Tehvay thought, but she did not give voice to her sudden concern. She didn't want to end an otherwise pleasant evening on such a serious note. Besides, there's nothing I can do about it; I go where she goes.

Aloyd Karthen looked at the room's chronometer and announced she would turn in for the night. Tehvay got up from the couch and followed her owner to the bedroom.

This time, the aloyd seemed relaxed as Tehvay helped her remove the uniform, unlike the first time on Gatlor. Yet, like that night on Gatlor, Tehvay also sensed signs of arousal in the aloyd as she helped to remove her underwear.

Tehvay felt a knot in the pit of her stomach. It was a reflex from years of dreading the expected command. Her sexual experiences with female owners had not been any less forceful or degrading than those with male owners. Tehvay's fourth owner was a mining colony administrator who resented the backwater posting and took her frustration out on Tehvay. She was especially cruel when she drank, and she drank almost all the time.

If the command does come tonight, Tehvay thought, then I hope she is kind. This thought surprised her, and she realised it was not just the aloyd who was a little bit aroused. As she knelt down to retrieve the underwear from the floor, her face was close to the aloyd's sex. The triangle of dark hair was almost mesmerising. Tehvay wanted to reach out and stroke it, tangle her fingers in it, bury her face between her owner's thighs and coax a sultry moan from the mighty aloyd.

"That will be all, thank you," said Aloyd Karthen.

The last two words snapped Tehvay out of her reverie. Aloyd Karthen had said 'thank you' before, but it always shocked Tehvay to hear it. She was expecting a much different ending to this evening, and truth be told, Tehvay almost felt a little disappointed that the aloyd didn't ask her to stay.

~~~~

The Conqueror had reunited with the rest of its striker group in orbit around Dameb, and set course for Otopa. Once underway, Kikola had Tehvay accompany her to the bridge of the Sword. Kikola sat in a chair next to Commodore Heln on a raised dais in the centre of the bridge. Tehvay was standing just behind and to the right of Kikola's chair. The aloyd could hear her slave's gentle breathing against the background noise of the bridge and crew going about their business.

The crew ignored the presence of their aloyd's personal slave and concentrated on their jobs. It would not occur to any of them to question why an aloyd would have their slave accompany them while on duty. The immediate focus of the bridge was an orange dot in the middle of the viewscreen.

Commodore Heln, who was seated in the captain's chair, glanced sideways at Aloyd Karthen sitting to his right and said, "By treaty, this is as close as we are allowed to approach Otopa."

"Then this is where we stay," acknowledged Kikola.

Heln instructed the crew to hold at these coordinates and inform Captain Eadmon on the strike ship Crusade.

"Shuttle approaching," announced the communications officer. "Requesting permission to dock."

"Grant it," ordered Commodore Heln. He glanced at Kikola, who nodded, and the commodore left the bridge.

A few minutes later, Heln returned with a security detail, followed by a man in his late eighties. The man wore the dark grey uniform of an aloyd, the insignia pinned to his collar was a reverse 'C' with an over star etched in red on a gold rectangle background, signifying the highest rank attainable for an Elit: Supreme-Aloyd. His greying hair was trimmed close to his scalp and sharp grey eyes darted around, seemingly looking for something to criticise.

Kikola stood to attention and saluted her illustrious guest, who barely acknowledged the respect being shown. "Supreme-Aloyd Taliss, it is an honour."

"Yes," Taliss replied in a haughty tone. "Why weren't you in the shuttle bay to greet me?"

"Regulation seven-five-four, para eleven, subsection thirty-two, when first arriving within one thousand kilometres of a border, the commanding aloyd must be on the bridge for the first thirteen hours, or until such time as the situation is deemed to be safe."

Taliss humphed. "I always thought you were a rather frail-looking child, but you managed to graduate from the Academy as Aloyd, First-Class."

"Yes, Aloyd."

"It took me six years of service to reach Aloyd, First-Class."

"However, only a further two years to be granted the rank of Supreme-Aloyd," Kikola offered. "An unparalleled achievement, and one I can only hope to emulate."

Taliss seemed placated by Kikola's regard for his service, and by the deference she had shown. He focussed his attention fully on her for the first time. "At ease. We have business to discuss."

"Of course." Kikola turned to Commodore Heln. "Commodore, Supreme-Aloyd Taliss and I will be in the ready room."

"Yes, Aloyd Karthen."

Kikola led Supreme-Aloyd Taliss, with Tehvay dutifully following, to the ready room. Once the doors closed, Taliss disclosed the reason for his visit to the Sword. "You were dispatched here, to Otopa, but you weren't given the details. I am here to brief you on your next assignment."

Kikola gestured for the older man to take the seat at the head of the table. "May I offer you some refreshment?" She pointed towards a side table filled with fresh food, not ship rations.

Taliss nodded, and Tehvay brought a selection of delicacies to the table. Taliss did nothing to acknowledge her and helped himself to the food being offered.

After cleaning his plate of every morsel, the Supreme-Aloyd got to the business at hand. He presented his subordinate with the mission brief.

"As you know, The Losper Empire is suffering from economic stagnation, and tensions with The Andantian Republic over the Aquin System are rising. If the Losperese have a choice, they'd rather fight the Andantians than us. Therefore, the Council has decided the time is ripe for us to secure Otopa for the Hegemony."

The senior aloyd took a moment to gulp down a glass of wine and then continued. "Our strategists predict an eighty-three per cent chance that The Losper Empire would not go to war with the Hegemony over Otopa. Not going to war would force the Empire to secure the natural resources they so desperately need from the Aquin System. This would lead to war between the Losperese and the Andantians. Both would be weakened after their little war, and with the whole of the Dameb system under our control, we would be well positioned to assert full sovereignty over this sector. I see no down side to this plan."

"I do," the aloyd said, much to the displeasure of Taliss.

"Would you care to enlighten me?"

"Certainly," Kikola replied. "With all due respect to the strategists, it's just as likely that The Losper Empire would never give up Otopa without a fight, on principle. Also, our relations with The Andantian Republic are hardly cordial. If we made a move against Otopa, the Andantians could negotiate an alliance with the Losperese for concessions in their dispute over the Aquin System and join them in a war against us. Then, rather than the Empire fighting on two fronts, the Hegemony would be fighting on two fronts."

"Hmm, I see. That is a possibility," Taliss admitted. "However, it would be a good chance to prove yourself in battle. The Losperese would be sure to send the Scourge of Orion."

During her training, Kikola had read many intelligence reports on the battles of the Losperese military commander: a ruthless and efficient soldier who would not stop until the enemy was utterly devastated. "I will face any enemy and prevail."

The Supreme-Aloyd chuckled at her bravado and held up his empty wine glass for Tehvay to refill. Kikola acknowledged Tehvay's presence with a glance as Tehvay poured the wine and then resumed her position against the wall. She is behaving like a true slave, thought Kikola. But then she is one, she concluded sadly.

Turning her attentions back to Supreme-Aloyd Taliss, Kikola said, "If the eighty-three per cent was more like ninety or ninety-five per cent, I would see less of a down side."

"Regardless, you have been given your orders," Taliss said. "Otopa is to be brought under full Hegemony control – now. To that end, I am placing three additional striker groups under your command. While I will be in administrative command of this operation, you are the tactical commander in charge."

"Yes, Supreme-Aloyd." Aloyd Karthen replied. "It is my duty to serve and obey."

Kikola recalled Tehvay using those exact words the day before. She once said that I was more of a slave than her. Maybe she is right.

~~~~

The Governor of Otopa was a grizzled, dishevelled man. Just by looking at his 3-D image displayed by the communications panel, Kikola guessed his age could be anywhere between fifty and seventy, but his profile showed he was only forty-five years old. Whatever his age, Gortam did not outwardly appear to suit the esteemed position of Planetary Governor. In The Kalenth Hegemony, planetary governors were Elit; they had bearing and presence. Gortam looked no better to her than a Labror.

"Governor Gortam, I am Aloyd Karthen—" Kikola got no further.

"Reveal intention!" His tone was abrupt, and while, like the vast majority of The Orion Spur, he spoke the standard language, though he used an odd sounding Losperese dialect.

Kikola smiled. "Direct and to the point, I admire that."

"Save your flattering tongue for those who care, Karten."

"It's Karthen, not Karten."

"Do I give appearance of caring? I have more pressing issues than exchanging words with you. Reveal intention or end this dialogue."

Kikola was glad she had decided to make this call from the privacy of the Sword's ready room. Only Tehvay was witness to the exchange.

"Under article twenty, paragraph three of The Treaty of 1535, we are entitled to exercise our right to visit and undertake inspections of any facility or building, public or private that we wish to do so and can complete within four days. I am hereby giving you the one-day notice of the visit, as decreed."

"That can only be exercised every five years."

"Check your calendar."

Gortam glowered and looked down to something on his desk; obviously he was double-checking the treaty's stipulations and was not at all pleased.

"Consider us notified." He cut the connection.

"Charming fellow," commented Tehvay.

"He'll not be so arrogant when I show up with four fully armed striker groups in the morning." In frustration, Kikola got up abruptly and knocked the table, spilling a warm beverage on the floor.

Tehvay set about cleaning up the mess while Kikola brooded at the other end of the table with the mission report in her hand. The aloyd knew she would need to brief her senior staff on their mission.

After several tense minutes, Tehvay broke the silence, chancing that it would be all right because they were alone. "So, you're going ahead with a military takeover then?" Tehvay asked.

Glad to have a reason to put down the report, Kikola said, "Yes, though an eighty-three per cent chance of success is far from certain victory. I am still not convinced our actions would go unchallenged by The Losper Empire, but that is a chance I will have to take."

"Supreme-Aloyd Taliss didn't seem to be concerned."

"No, but then he would not be held responsible for the mission's failure."

"Perhaps there is an alternative to military confrontation," Tehvay suggested.

"I cannot think of any."

"Have you considered a diplomatic solution?"

"I am no diplomat," Kikola replied. "I am an aloyd, a soldier, and that means going down there heavily armed, executing leaders who would resist the Hegemony's takeover, pacifying citizens, and preparing for the likelihood of military retaliation on the part of The Losper Empire."

Tehvay drew closer to the aloyd but maintained a respectful posture lest someone enter the ready room unannounced. "It occurs to me that the citizens of Otopa might respond better to being asked rather than threatened."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, what if the Otopans were asked to decide for themselves if they want to become part of the Hegemony? Then, the Empire would have no reason to go to war."

"My orders were clear."

"With respect, Aloyd. Your orders were to bring Otopa under Hegemony control… they didn't specify how."

"True. I see your point. It is certainly worth considering. Besides, if that doesn't work, there is always Plan B."

~~~~

The air on Otopa was thick with the orange sand that covered most of the planet. The orange colour was from iron oxide. Otopa was iron rich and originally settled as a mining colony. However, since the redrawing of the borders after the last war, mining production had slowed to a crawl and Otopa had trouble exporting iron ore out of Hegemony territory. That meant most of the fifty thousand Otopans were barely scraping a living. Some had tried irrigating the desert, but chemical fertilisers were on the import ban list and the produce was low quality. With little alternative, the Otopans had no choice but to eat it. Food could be imported, but like everything else that was imported, it was expensive.

"If you decide to join the Hegemony of your own free will, then you will no longer be subject to the treaty restrictions," Kikola explained to Governor Gortam and a delegation of community leaders who had met them at the shuttle port. 

Members of the delegation were all dressed in a similar fashion: one-piece coverall-type suits, all in shades of browns and dusted with the prevalent orange sand.

"So, we could settle on other planets in the Hegemony?" asked Ajak, one of the leaders. She was a woman in her thirties; her dark skin was lined by a hard life and harsh environment.

"Yes. Citizens of the Hegemony are free to travel for business or pleasure. With no import/export restrictions, you could start up full-scale iron ore production again. Iron and iron ore are needed within the Hegemony. Your standard of living will be vastly improved. We can help improve your harvest if you still wish to produce your own food. I understand some of your vegetables are a delicacy within the Hegemony. That will be another source of income. You might not wish to leave here."

"What of returning to the Empire?" asked Gortam. "Most have family in the Empire. Joining the Hegemony would separate us from kin, more so than the current situation."

"Those who wish to emigrate will be allowed. We do not hold people against their will."

"Yet, you parade a slave before us." Gortam pointed at Tehvay. "Or do you insist that she is a slave by choice?"

Kikola took a moment before replying. "Yes, there are slaves in the Hegemony, but you are free people. You will not be slaves. There is a slave caste; all slaves come from there. You will have nothing to fear."

"We've heard stories," Ajak interjected.

"I am sure they are unfounded," Kikola stated firmly.  "If your community holds a referendum and decides to join the Hegemony, then I can guarantee you will be granted full citizenship. After that, anyone who wishes to return to the Empire will be free to do so." Kikola softened her tone. "I sense a lot of you do not wish to be here. Under the current situation, you cannot leave. I am giving you the opportunity to take control of your destiny. Join the Hegemony and you can leave. You can go to the Empire, or go elsewhere in the Hegemony, or stay and try and rebuild the colony to what it should be. It has to be better than the current situation."

Gortam stepped forward. "You'll forgive us if we treat your words with caution. Too often your tongue gives words that do not support your actions." He cast a glance behind him to his compatriots. "We have no choice but to listen to your offer and give our response, after due consideration."

The aloyd nodded. "That is all I can ask. As a show of good faith I will postpone my inspections."

Kikola signalled to the guards that they should return to the shuttle. She turned and headed that way herself, with Tehvay trailing dutifully behind.

Suddenly, Kikola heard a 'pop' sound from behind her. She recognised the sound as weapon discharge. Immediately, her sidearm was in her hand and she spun around. Her guards were a fraction of a second behind her in their reactions. The next shot hit Kikola's right shoulder, but her armour did its job and protected her. She returned fire at the figure crouched on top of a nearby building. Half of her guards returned fire, while the others rushed off towards the building.

Kikola took a step to follow, but her foot caught something on the ground. She looked down and saw Tehvay lying face down in the dust; dark red blood stained her back.

"Tehvay!"

Kikola knelt down to examine the slave's injuries. The wound appeared to be a puncture wound that suggested the weapon was firing projectiles rather than plasma bolts. She turned the slave over. Tehvay coughed and blood started flowing from her mouth. Kikola could see no exit wound and quickly turned Tehvay back over. She unclipped the medpack from her belt.

"Sergeant!" she barked. "Help me!" She tore at the hole in the back of Tehvay's clothes and applied a sealant to the wound.

"Aloyd?" The sergeant had stopped firing and looked at his commanding officer.

"Help me get her—it on board the shuttle." Kikola pressed a hypo syringe to Tehvay's neck and pressed the plunger.

"But—"

"Now!"

The sergeant obeyed and came to aid the aloyd. Between them, they got Tehvay into the shuttle.

"Back to the Sword – now!" Kikola yelled at the pilot.

"Yes, Aloyd."

It seemed to take far too long before the whine of the engines rose in pitch and the shuttle started moving. Kikola pulled out the shuttle's medpack and attached a monitor to Tehvay's wrist.

Seeing Tehvay so badly injured focussed Kikola's mind like a laser beam. After attaching the monitor, she had to force herself to let go of Tehvay's hand to administer the dose of trimethophren the monitor was indicating. 'Patient stable. No further action required' flashed up on the monitor's screen. She was no medical expert, but from the vital signs displayed, Tehvay was still in grave condition.

"Aloyd," the sergeant spoke up. "We're leaving people behind."

"They can take care of themselves, and you can go back for them later. This situation is more critical."

"All due respect, it's just a slave."

"If I hear you say anything other than 'yes, Aloyd', I will have you blown out of an airlock. Do you understand, Sergeant?"

"Yes, Aloyd." The sergeant probably didn't understand, but he knew better than to challenge an aloyd's order.

"Pilot, alert the Sword we have a medical emergency and to have a med team meet us. Bypass all but the critical landing protocols."

It was the longest shuttle flight Kikola had ever experienced.

~~~~

Tehvay never heard the shot. As her owner headed back towards the shuttle, Tehvay had followed behind like a dutiful slave. Everything after that seemed to happen in a disjointed manner.

She heard Aloyd Karthen call her name.

She remembered falling.

She opened her eyes and saw only orange dirt.

She felt pain as if she had been hit in the back by a heavy weight.

She heard a gurgling noise and tasted a coppery liquid oozing from her mouth.

She heard voices.

She saw light.

She saw her owner's face.

"You are awake," the aloyd said with wonder. "Doctor!"

She felt a sharp sting on her neck.

She felt numb.

"Easy. It's all right. You are safe."

Tehvay's eyes focussed on the face looking down at her. It was Aloyd Karthen. Her owner's soft brown eyes had dark circles around them. Her dark brown hair looked limp and unkempt. Her lips were thin and pale.

"Wha…" her voice dried up in her throat.

Her eyes closed, and Tehvay drifted into unconsciousness again… until she heard the shot. It startled her, and she awoke, lying face down in bed.

After a few moments someone entered and started touching her back.

"How are you feeling?" a voice asked her in a clinical tone.

She turned to look at the speaker. "Okay, I guess."

"It's best if you don't lie on your back for a few days," the doctor said. "Do you understand?"

"Yes," Tehvay croaked. She considered asking what had happened, but remembered that most people did not talk to slaves.

"Do you feel any pain?"

"No."

The doctor nodded as if she had given the correct answer. "I have contacted Aloyd Karthen. She will be here to collect you presently." He turned and walked away.

A nurse stepped forward and dropped Tehvay's clothes on the bed. He gave Tehvay a look as if she were something foul that he had stepped in, and then he followed the doctor out of the room.

Tehvay looked around at her surroundings. It didn't take a genius to work out she was in a private sickbay ward, but where it was and how she got there was a mystery. She climbed out of the bed and picked up her clothes; they were dirty and the shirt had a large, bloody tear in it.

With nothing else to put on, Tehvay removed the hospital gown, got dressed in her soiled and bloody clothing, and sat down on the edge of the bed to await her owner. According to the chronometer on the wall, she waited six minutes, but it felt like six hours. She was relieved to see Aloyd Karthen enter the medical ward.

"How are you feeling?" her owner asked.

"What happened? I think I remember falling." She looked down at herself. "That would explain the dirt. But my back?"

"I will explain all when we get back to the Conqueror and… oh, your clothes!"

"That's all right. It's only my back."

"No. It's not all right. Here, I brought you this." The aloyd offered the wrapped package to Tehvay.

Tehvay opened the package and saw the familiar light blue clothes – yet not the same slave's uniform she was used to. Intrigued, Tehvay pulled out a jacket styled like the one Aloyd Karthen was wearing. Tehvay's slave ident was printed on it, but in a smaller, more discreet rectangle positioned over the left breast where military personnel had the gold and black insignia. The jacket was heavy, not as heavy as the aloyd's, but heavier than what Tehvay was used to wearing.

"I took the liberty of getting you a uniform that will protect you better. The law dictates the colour and the slave ident, but not the style and material."

Tehvay slipped the jacket on. "Thank you. Thank you." She felt warm and sheltered – like she wanted to curl up inside it and hide like a snail in a shell. "You said 'protect me'. What happened? Was I shot?"

"Yes," said Aloyd Karthen sadly. "Though fortunately, the weapon was homemade and low powered, but enough to almost…" She coughed. "There are trousers and boots as well," she added with a strange smile.

Tehvay gave her owner an appreciative smile and donned the trousers and boots. She glanced down to admire the outfit. It was a very generous gesture on the part of her owner to have it made for her.

Tehvay didn't want to embarrass Aloyd Karthen with a lot of gushing, so she changed the subject. "I guess I'll have a scar on my back."

"I had the doctor treat the wound, so there will be no scar."

"I appreciate that, but why?"

Tehvay did not hear her owner's reply. Her vision started greying, and she felt as if she was going to faint. "Is it very warm in here?" she asked weakly.

"No. Are you feeling all right? Oh wait, it could be the thermal regulator."

"The what?"

The aloyd lifted up Tehvay's right arm. "Here." She showed Tehvay a small panel sewn into the cuff of the jacket. "The Pup. The communicator has been disabled though." She tapped the display. "Thermal regulator. Just turn it down a bit. It makes the jacket suitable for all temperatures."

"I wondered why you weren't melting when we visited your home on Kalenth."

Aloyd Karthen allowed a smile. "Come, let us get you back to the Conqueror."

~~~~

Once the door to her private quarters was closed, Kikola led Tehvay to a small couch in her private ready room and made sure Tehvay was comfortable. She pulled up a nearby chair and recounted the shooting on Otopa, the fraught shuttle flight to safety, and the four long days waiting for the doctor to awaken Tehvay from the induced coma.

"Four days? It only feels like a few hours ago that I was on the planet," Tehvay said, as if trying to make sense of it. "Was I asleep all that time? I seem to remember you visiting me."

"Yes, you were sedated. The doctor said you may be aware of noises in the ward," Kikola patiently explained.

"So, you did visit me."

"Yes. I looked in on you."

"Thank you. The shooter? Did you capture the shooter?"

"He was killed by the guards. He shot at them, and they returned fire."

Tehvay was quiet for a moment as she processed the news. "What about the situation there – your mission? I hope this didn't disrupt your plans."

Kikola's features hardened. "They almost killed you. I wanted revenge, so I called for a bombardment of the planet."

Tehvay recoiled in disbelief. "Please tell me you didn't order the deaths of fifty thousand people because of me. I'm not worth that!"

"You are. You are worth ten times that to me. A hundred times that."

"No!" Tehvay jumped out of her seat and became very agitated. "Do you have any idea what you've done – to me?" Tehvay was becoming distraught. "I can't have all those deaths on my conscience!"

"Tehvay," Kikola stood up and reached out to her.

"No! Get away from me!" She tried to push Kikola away.

"Tehvay!" Kikola took a hold of her and held her tight. "It's all right. I didn't do it! I didn't do it!"

It finally registered, and Tehvay stopped resisting. "I don't understand. You just said you ordered the bombardment?"

"I know, but sit and allow me to explain."

Tehvay took a seat on the edge of the couch again, her eyes cast downward.

"Tehvay, please look at me."

The blonde-haired slave raised her eyes enough to be compliant with her owner's wishes.

"I said I called for a bombardment, but I did not give the order to proceed," Kikola replied. "I came so close to giving the order to fire. Every fibre of my being was screaming at me to exact revenge and turn the planet surface to glass. Every fibre!" Kikola joined Tehvay on the couch. "I had every reason to – except one…" The aloyd paused. "You."

"Me?" Tehvay seemed confused.

"Yes. I knew if I gave that order I would lose your respect – I would lose you. I would rather lose anything – everything – except you." Kikola felt like she was standing on top of a very tall precipice. She knew if she took the next step, there was no turning back; and if she did not, there was no going forward. The longer Tehvay remained silent, the more unsure Kikola was becoming. Maybe this is not the right time, Kikola thought. Maybe I should leave well enough alone. Maybe…

Tehvay finally spoke. "Thank you, Aloyd Karthen. I'm gratified to know that you value my service, and I—"

Kikola realised that Tehvay had got a hold of the wrong end of the stick. Kikola could have just left it at that for now and save them both potential embarrassments. Kikola, however, was trained to be decisive, meet any challenge, triumph over fear. For her, there was no second-guessing, no retreat. She had to tell Tehvay the truth, whatever the risk, whatever the cost.

"Tehvay, there is something I must say, so hear me out."

The slave straightened her back and gave Kikola her attention.

"Tehvay, ever since I met you, I have been experiencing feelings I have never felt before, feelings for which I had no words. That is until four days ago when I saw you lying on the ground in all that blood. That is when my feelings became crystal clear. I understood that I didn't want to lose you; that you mean everything to me; that my life would feel incomplete without you in it."                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Kikola saw the mystified look on Tehvay's face and realised she was not making herself clear. "I know this is a lot to take in."

"I'm not sure I completely understand what you're trying to say," Tehvay replied.

"I don't know what I am saying," Kikola confessed. "I only know how I am feeling. I am all churned up inside when I think about you, and I think about you most of my waking moments. What I am trying to tell you is that I care for you – deeply."

"If this is a joke, then it's a cruel one."

"I have never been more sincere," Kikola tried to reassure her. "I know you have no reason to trust what an owner says. Believe me, I am not saying this as your owner—"

"You are my owner," said Tehvay pointedly.

"I know," Kikola felt the sting of her reproach and looked towards the floor.

"I… I think I need to lie down," said Tehvay, who was looking rather pale.

"Of course." Kikola knew the couch would not be comfortable and her bedroom was the closest, so that is where she took the injured woman. Kikola helped Tehvay to the edge of the bed and had her lie down on her right side.

When Kikola sat down next to her, Tehvay tried to move away – out of arms reach. Kikola could see anxiety written all over Tehvay's face. This was not the reaction for which she had been hoping.

The dark-haired aloyd got off the bed and moved a respectful distance away. "Tehvay, understandably this must have come as a shock. I should have waited until you were fully healed. I apologise. You should rest for a while. I can come back."

Tehvay sat up again. "No! I think we need to talk about it now."

"Very well." Kikola pointed to two occasional chairs in the corner. "Perhaps you would be more comfortable if we sat over there."

Tehvay moved to the chair nearest the door. The aloyd settled into the other chair.

"Aloyd Karthen—"

"Kikola… please, call me Kikola – at least when we are alone."

"That will take some getting used to," Tehvay admitted. "Forgive me if I got it wrong, but I thought you said that you cared deeply for me."

"Yes, I did."

"What exactly do you mean by that? Do you mean you care for me deeply as your slave? As a person, a friend? Or are you saying you want to take me as your lover?"

"Well, I would not have put it in those terms."

"How would you put it, then?"

"I told you, I care for you deeply."

"How deeply?"

Kikola knew Tehvay was pushing her to be clear, but she did not have the experience, or the words, "I…"

"You…?" Tehvay prompted. "Please, Kikola… this is important, for both our sakes."

That seemed to give Kikola the courage she needed to be vulnerable. "I—I think I have feelings… romantic feelings… for you… I… I am… deeply attracted to you." The aloyd held her breath awaiting Tehvay's response.

"So, you want to take me as your lover, then."

"Yes… no… I don't know. I hadn't thought past telling you how I feel about you."

There was silence between them.

"Do…" Kikola could not stand another minute without knowing if her affections were shared. "…do you think you could ever have feelings for me, too?"

Before Tehvay said anything, the comm on Kikola's Pup gave three short beeps. "Now is not a good time, Captain."

Wurth's voice said, "Sorry, sir. Governor Gortam insists on speaking with you."

Kikola muted her comm and looked pleadingly at Tehvay. "I have got to take this. I won't be long." Kikola chanced touching Tehvay's arm. "Please think about what I have said. We will talk more when I return."

Tehvay nodded that she would, which gave Kikola hope. She unmuted her Pup comm. "Put the call through to my ready room. I will take it there."  

~~~~

Tehvay watched as Kikola left the bedroom to take a call from the Governor of Otopa. Part of her understood, but part of her lamented the poor timing. The aloyd had just confessed she had romantic feelings for Tehvay and wanted to know if she could ever return those feelings.

This was uncharted territory for Tehvay. The only feelings she'd ever had for an owner were indifference, contempt, or loathing. However, Tehvay had come to realise that Aloyd Karthen was no ordinary owner. She was different: cold and formidable, yet sensitive and caring. However, it was Tehvay herself who was switching wildly between extremes at this time. Anger at the thought of Otopa being bombed; relief when she found out it wasn't. Confusion over the aloyd admitting to having feelings for her, and terror over what that could mean.

It took several moments for the implications of what was said to sink in.

If Tehvay were being honest with herself, she could see herself caring for this woman. So, when Kikola returned, Tehvay took a leap of faith.

"I, too, feel something for you. Part of me didn't want to believe it," Tehvay confessed. "But yes, I think I can trust you enough to care for you, as well."

They sat in silence, staring at one another for a long time.

"What do we do now?" asked Tehvay.

"I was hoping you could tell me," Kikola replied.

"Me? I've never been in this situation before."

"Nor I. Whatever we do, this…" the aloyd pointed between the two of them, "…this must remain our secret."

Tehvay wanted to protest, but then reality came crashing back to her. "Yes, Aloyd Karthen." She bowed her head like the good slave she was brought up to be.

The aloyd sprang to her feet, cupped Tehvay's chin, and forced the slave to look up and meet her eyes. "When we are in private, you may call me Kikola. We can be like this." She placed a gentle kiss on Tehvay's cheek. "Partners."

Tehvay felt her chest tighten as Kikola had moved in towards her, but was relieved that it was only to kiss her on the cheek. Tehvay wasn't sure she was ready for more.

"Sadly though, it can only be in private. In public, as much as it will pain me, you will have to be my slave and behave accordingly. As I will have to behave accordingly."

Kikola stepped back and said, "I will try to limit your time in public, so you don't have to endure the humiliation; however, there will be times when we are both tested."

A small, sad smile curled Tehvay's lips. "I understand."

"Governor Gortam wanted to apologise again for the shooting and inquired after your health. The fact that I personally saved a slave went some way to convincing him that the Hegemony is not as bad as painted by The Losper Empire. However, I suspect he may not truly believe you received the medical attention I said you did. To see you alive and well will truly convince him I was not lying about that."

"I'm not sure I like the idea of that," Tehvay replied warily. "I don't want to deceive anyone."

"This is our only hope for a peaceful resolution. Supreme-Aloyd Taliss heard about the attack and wanted to declare war. I managed to convince the Council, and they convinced him. The Losper Empire knows that the attack gives us grounds to declare war, but if we don't react then that will strengthen our position. However, I cannot stall for much longer. I need to go to Taliss with concrete evidence that I can secure Otopa by peaceful means. I need you to help me."

"What exactly do you want me to do?"

"Come back down to Otopa with me. We will meet with Gortam and a few others. They are close to agreeing to the referendum. Your presence will hopefully be the final push they need."

Tehvay nodded. "When?"

"Tomorrow morning. For now, you need to get some rest."

"I've just spent four days resting!"

"I have spent four days worrying about you. I need some rest," Kikola replied.

"Of course. I should leave you… or should I stay… or…" Tehvay was not sure what came next.

"I would like it if you would stay with me. Here." Kikola looked over at the bed.

Tehvay looked at the bed. "I…" 

"I can see your apprehension, but I am not asking for… that. I just want you next to me as I sleep. That is, if you are comfortable with it, of course. I promised you I would never force you to do anything against your wishes."

"Thank you… Kikola," Tehvay replied gratefully.

Kikola began the evening ritual of getting undressed and Tehvay helped her. However, this time was very different. There was a subtle shift in the way Tehvay undressed Kikola. It was slower, more deliberate, more sensual.

"May I help undress you?" Kikola asked gently.

"Yes," Tehvay replied in a low tone.

Tehvay was appreciative of how Kikola took her time undressing her – being careful not to touch Tehvay inappropriately.

Tehvay could see the longing in Kikola's eyes, and almost gave permission for the aloyd to do more than look. Before she could, Kikola tore her eyes away and pulled back the bedclothes. The aloyd lay down and looked up at Tehvay.

"Please? I just want to feel you near me."

Tehvay climbed into the bed and lay on her stomach next to Kikola. The aloyd pulled the bedclothes over them and settled back with a contented smile on her face. Tehvay was surprised to feel herself drifting off to sleep. The last thing Tehvay remembered doing was reaching out and placing her arm over Kikola's stomach and Kikola's hand gently clutching at her fingers.

~~~~

Kikola took double the number of guards to Otopa as she had the first time, though she wisely ordered that they remain outside the door to Governor Gortam's office. The Governor was looking more haggard than he had the first time they met. The hair on his unshaven face could almost be called a beard. He was flanked by two community leaders: Ajak and Sulyn.

Sulyn was a man in his fifties with greying hair and, in stark contrast to his two compatriots, was smooth faced. He looked like someone who had spent his whole life inside, away from the dust that permeated the air.

Gortam looked at Tehvay, but spoke to the aloyd. "Your words were true. Your slave lives."

"Yes. She received the same medical care as anyone else would on a military ship."

Tehvay noticed the use of the word 'she'. Was it a slip by Kikola or was it a calculated move to humanise the Hegemony?

"And she wears the appearance of a military uniform this time."

"I was not expecting an assassination attempt, and Tehvay was wearing the standard clothing for slaves last time. I made a decision to give her an armoured uniform, just in case."

Gortam blushed under his stubble. "I assure you that we have taken extra security precautions for this visit."

"My apologies," Kikola replied. "I meant on other planets I might have cause to visit. Though, I too have taken extra security precautions today."

Gortam approached Tehvay and spoke to her. "I wish to offer my personal apologies for the… unfortunate incident the other day. An incident perpetrated by an individual without sanction from myself or the Otopan Assembly."

Tehvay looked towards Kikola for a hint of what to do. Kikola gave her the briefest of nods to indicate she should reply.

"I accept your apologies, Governor Gortam."

"As so often in the Spur, the innocent are damaged by the politics of a situation," Gortam said. "Give me your words, Tehvay. Are you aware of the politics unfolding here at this time?"

"Yes," she replied. This time she did not seek approval to speak.

Ajak cleared her throat. "And what course of action do you suggest we pursue? Should we join the Hegemony, a society that has denied you your freedom, kept you enslaved, deprived you of your humanity?"

Tehvay thought carefully before replying. She maintained steady eye contact with Gortam to show him and the Otopans that there was no coercion from her owner.

"In the Hegemony, it is not my place to tell anyone what they should do, because I am a slave. I am only expected to obey what I am told to do. You are not slaves, so I, nor anyone else should tell you what to do."

"Ajak asked for an opinion not an order," Sulyn interjected. "She asked for your opinion. Are you not allowed to have an opinion?"

"You didn't let me finish," said Tehvay. "I won't tell you what to do, or give my opinion of what you should do. I will tell you what will happen if you don't hold the referendum, or the outcome of the referendum is to stay in The Losper Empire. The Hegemony will take this planet by force, and you will die. If you join the Hegemony, then you'll have your lives, your livelihoods, and your freedom. The decision is yours to make."

Gortam turned to stare at Kikola. "Are her words true?"

"Yes," said Kikola. "I have orders to make Otopa part of The Kalenth Hegemony. I am giving you a chance to make this a bloodless transition."

"Your words of promise about our choices if we join the Hegemony, are they false?"

"They are true," Kikola replied.

"Are they true?" Gortam asked Tehvay.

"I believe they are," she replied. "Aloyd Karthen gave her word, and she will do everything in her power to ensure her word is not broken."

"Then we stand and fight!" said Ajak.

"No!" said Sulyn. "This place is not worth our deaths. Here, we are part of The Losper Empire in name only. Look at us! Do we enjoy the same comforts and privileges as everyone else in the Empire?"

"We can't be bullied and threatened into giving up our planet."

"Ajak, you're a fool," growled Sulyn. "Only a simple-minded fool would need to be bullied to give up this planet."

"Silence!" Gortam shouted. "We are without choice. We give the Hegemony what they want."

"Your words are a joke without humour!" cried Ajak.

"I have a sixteen-year-old son," said Gortam. "I'm not condemning him to an invasion that will likely see him killed. I want him to have a life."

"You are making the right decision," said Kikola.

"It would be advisable to silence your tongue!" Gortam pointed an accusing finger at her. "Return to your ship. I will inform the Empire of our decision. I will have words later with our demands… requests, which will need satisfying before anyone from the Hegemony find this planet under foot again."

"Do not leave it too long. I cannot hold back an invasion indefinitely." Kikola spun on her heel and marched out of the office. Tehvay hurried to keep up with her.

~~~~

The executive conference room on the Sword was painted the customary, cheerless dark grey – just like the uniform of an aloyd. Aloyd Karthen sat at the head of the table, with Captain Wurth, Captain Eadmon, and Commodore Heln sitting on either side of her. They had assembled to await word from the Governor of Otopa. When the signal came, Kikola nodded at Captain Wurth. He leaned forward and pressed a button embedded in the table in front of him. View screens sprang into life around the room, showing the grizzled features of Governor Gortam. In addition, a three-dimensional hologram of the governor's head and shoulders floated above the table.

"I've contacted the Empire and explained our position," he said. "They've agreed to it."

"That is good to hear," said Kikola.

"A fleet of transport ships will be sent to remove those of us who wish to return to The Losper Empire. Seventy percent voice such desire." He gave a wry laugh. "Already we hear voices of complaint from Empire citizens about the influx of refugees."

"I hope things work out for you."

"Spare me the platitudes. The ships will be here within three days. Our request is that these ships are not stopped and searched on their in-bound and out-bound journeys."

"Preposterous!" Captain Eadmon cried. Any further outburst was cut short by a simple raised hand from Aloyd Karthen.

"Carry on, Governor."

"I will depart on the last ship. I will have words upon departure formally handing control to The Kalenth Hegemony. Until then, the treaty we have still stands. You are to leave the stipulated one hundred million kilometres exclusion zone."

"Those terms are acceptable."

"I'm holding you responsible for the well-being of those who stay behind."

"If they adhere to the laws of the Hegemony, then you will have no concern," Aloyd Karthen replied. "I await your next call."

Kikola terminated the connection.

Commodore Heln had a grin from ear to ear. "In all my years, I have never seen such a magnificent display of diplomacy. Your calling in the military is perhaps misplaced."

"Not everyone shares your appreciation." Kikola replied. "I still have to convince Supreme-Aloyd Taliss to agree to this."

"If the Supreme-Aloyd has any sense, he'll order us to attack those ships when they're leaving," Eadmon muttered.

"Your opinion is noted, though you would be wise to keep opinions like that to yourself, if you value your position," Aloyd Karthen replied sternly.

Kikola turned to the commander of the Conqueror. "Would you care to share your opinion, Captain Wurth?"

"No, Aloyd."

"Captain Eadmon, return to your ship and set a course for Dameb."

"Yes, Aloyd." She stood and saluted.

When the door closed behind Eadmon, Commodore Heln stood and saluted. "I will have us break orbit once Captain Eadmon's shuttle is clear."

"No. Wait until the Crusade and the other striker groups are outside the exclusion zone before breaking orbit."

"As you wish." The curiosity was evident in his voice, if not his words.

Kikola didn't want to reveal her distrust of Eadmon.

"Inform Otopa traffic control that you are experiencing a problem and will leave when it is fixed. I don't want the Otopans getting too suspicious, so power down the weapons. Captain Wurth, prep the Conqueror. We will follow the Crusade."

"Very good, Aloyd."

~~~~

Tehvay was polishing the dining table when she felt the floor rumble and the queasy roll in her stomach, as the cruiser left the gravity field of the larger ship. After previously expressing her curiosity as to the ship's movements, Kikola had granted Tehvay access to some of the ship's systems. The slave stopped polishing and moved towards an access terminal on the wall.

The terminal flashed into life and showed a vid-feed from sensors on the outer hull. The star field in view slewed to the right and then steadied. A text feed, from the navigation computer at the bottom of the screen, indicated their destination was Dameb.

Dameb was the second planet in the system. Otopa was the third planet. The closest distance between the planets was two hundred million kilometres, hence the one hundred million kilometre exclusion zone for Otopa. The display indicated that the current distance to Dameb was two hundred and seventy-four million kilometres. Tehvay watched as the distance ticked down.

When Kikola returned, Tehvay greeted her as her slave, forgetting for a moment their new arrangement. Kikola smiled and reminded Tehvay that they were alone.

Just as Kikola was navigating through unfamiliar territory as a diplomat, the two of them were navigating through the newness of their relationship.

"Would you mind putting the polishing cloth down and allow me to greet you properly?"

"Yes, Aloyd–I mean, Kikola." Tehvay left the cloth on the table and allowed herself to be drawn into Kikola's waiting arms.

This was a new sensation for Tehvay – to have the warmth of a loving embrace. It felt strange. It felt right. They had agreed to take things slowly, but Tehvay was beginning to relax into the idea of taking it another step further. "May I kiss you?" she asked.

"You never have to ask," Kikola replied.

Tehvay slowly leaned in, closed her eyes, and gently allowed their lips to touch – nothing steamy or forceful – just a sweet and tender kiss that made them both smile.

"Would you like some refreshments?" Tehvay asked.

"That would be very welcome, thank you," Kikola replied.

Tehvay went to the galley and returned with a snack plate and two beverages. This time she didn't wait to be invited to sit down by the aloyd. She sat next to Kikola, and they shared the plate of food.

"I consulted the access terminal and saw that we have set a course to Dameb. What's on Dameb?" asked Tehvay.

"Supreme-Aloyd Taliss. Most of the Otopans have chosen to leave and are handing the planet over to us. I have to go to Dameb and persuade Supreme-Aloyd Taliss to hold off attacking them."

"Surely now that you've secured the planet, he won't need to attack?"

"It's not secured until we land in force and establish a base. I just have to convince Taliss to give me more time."

"He'll see that they are leaving."

"No. He will see The Losper Empire sending large transport ships through Hegemony territory. Ships I have promised Gortam will not be stopped and searched. It presents the Empire with a perfect opportunity to bring in troops and weapons."

"Is that what you believe?"

"It is a possibility. I believe Gortam is sincere in his desire to leave. However, I am not convinced the Empire shares his wishes. If we are to avoid the blood of innocent people being shed, then I had to agree to Gortam's terms and I will have to convince Supreme-Aloyd Taliss to do the same."

~~~~

It was dark outside when Kikola stepped out of the shuttle on Dameb. She had decided to leave Tehvay on board the Conqueror. While Tehvay played the submissive slave in public very well, Kikola thought she would be too distracted by Tehvay's presence to think clearly when she spoke with Supreme-Aloyd Taliss.

The command building on the military base was large, but nowhere near as large or impressive as anything on Kalenth. Kikola strode down the long, high corridor, while one of Taliss' aides hurried along behind her.

"Supreme-Aloyd Taliss is," the aide paused to catch her breath, "having dinner. He doesn't like to be dist—" another deep breath, "disturbed while he's eating."

Kikola stopped abruptly, and the aide bumped into her.

"Oh! I'm sorry. Forgive me, Aloyd. I'm deeply sorry."

"Supreme-Aloyd Taliss was informed that I would be arriving. He is expecting me."

"Yes, of course, but if you could just wait un—"

"No!" Kikola pushed open the doors in front of her.

"I'm sorry, sir," gushed the aide, rushing ahead into the room. "Aloyd Karthen was most insistent."

Taliss waved a hand to silence the aide. "Just go," he told her.

"Yes, Supreme-Aloyd." The aide saluted and hurried out, closing the door behind her.

"Come," Taliss beckoned Kikola. "Sit." He gestured at a chair opposite him.

Kikola approached the table and sat. Taliss was flanked by two slaves, one held a jug of wine; the other held a jug of water.

"Would you like something to eat?" He waved his hand over the array of meat, fish, fruit, vegetables and delicacies arranged on the naked female slave lying before him.

Kikola had no interest in eating off a naked female, but she did not want to appear rude. "Thank you, Supreme-Aloyd," said Kikola. She picked up a pair of chopsticks and helped herself to a piece of meat near an ankle.

"I notice that the Otopans are still there," he said conversationally, concentrating on picking up a sliver of raw fish from between the woman's breasts.

"Yes, Supreme-Aloyd. They are preparing for departure."

"Yes, so I have been informed. Please, help yourself to more."

"Captain Eadmon," stated Kikola.

"Indeed. I did rebuke her for contacting me. It is your duty to inform me, after all. Perhaps you should reprimand her, as well."

"I will," Kikola assured him. "The Otopans request a few days to complete their departure."

"Very well."

"Supreme-Aloyd?"

"Give them the time they need." He finally looked at Kikola. "Were you expecting me to say something else?"

"I had thought you might be a little more impatient."

He chuckled. "I want Otopa under our rule. It looks like you're going to deliver it without us getting involved in a war with the Empire." He lifted a thin slice of meat from the woman's upper thigh. "Try this," he held the meat out to Kikola. "The meat dissolves in your mouth and has a wonderful aftertaste that is… sort of fruity, nutty, sweet, and savoury all at the same time. Go on, try it."

Kikola took the proffered meat and put it in her mouth. It was everything Taliss said it was.

"Of course," continued Taliss, "I would have preferred a direct conflict. My time in service is growing short, and one final glory would be the perfect end to my career. However, the Council believes your approach is worthy."

"Do you think it's worthy?" asked Kikola, helping herself to a piece of fruit.

"No, but it might benefit us, and you, in the long term."

"What do you mean?"

"You need a drink – wine or water?"

"Water, thank you."

Taliss signalled the water bearer. The slave produced a goblet from under the table and walked around to Kikola.

As Kikola took a drink, Taliss continued.

"You have a great destiny ahead of you, Aloyd Karthen – one of which I am envious. Otopa is but the first step. Not even that. Call it an aperitif before the main meal. The Council has set their sights on the independent Graelands, specifically, the systems from Trengos to Cailoris."

Kikola mentally plotted the systems on the galactic map. "That would extend our border with The Losper Empire for about another thousand light years, right up to The Seconthan Republic."

"Precisely. The Council are thinking long term. You have been chosen to lead the conquest of the Graelands, and then The Andantian Republic. Then maybe twenty or thirty years from now, you'll lead an invasion of the Empire. The attack can come at them from nearly all sides." He smiled wistfully. "They will not be able to stop us." The smile faded. "Stop you."

"The Council have told you all this?"

"Who do you think helped them formulate such a grand strategy?" he said with pride. "You'll lead the greatest triumph the Hegemony has ever seen – even greater than the previous Rivelor, your great-grandfather, Petril ap Karthen."

"Previous?" Kikola queried the use of that word.

"Yes. You have been chosen as the next Rivelor. Perhaps the last ever the Hegemony will need."

The title 'Rivelor' was not used often, but every Elit knew the meaning of it. It was the title conferred on the aloyd that leads the great expansions: the ones that oversee the conquering of thousands of systems and the permanent eradication of enemies. It was a great honour for the family of the chosen Rivelor. Normally, Kikola herself would be unmoved by the honour, but Tehvay's presence had awakened her emotions that she had spent a lifetime supressing. A surge of pride welled up, replaced by one of fear; fear that leading the campaign as Rivelor would destroy what she had with Tehvay. Outwardly, though, Kikola accepted the news without sentiment.

"I serve the Hegemony and the Council."

"Yes, as well you should," Taliss replied. "With the Empire defeated, the rest of the Spur will crumble. Your place in history is secured. If you pull it off."

"What do you mean 'if I pull it off'?'," Kikola asked. "Do you doubt my abilities?"

He shook his head. "However, plans go awry, even for the best of us." Taliss regarded Kikola with a knowing look, which did not go unnoticed. "As I said, I had hoped for conflict with the Empire. The attempt on your life on Otopa should have been enough. However, the Council wanted to see what you would do. It seems saving a worthless slave was a masterstroke on your part. I would never have thought of that. It seems my failure has secured your destiny."

Kikola's mind replayed his words over and over again to try and make sense of them. She could not comprehend what he had said. "Are you saying that you hired someone to attempt to kill me on Otopa? The attempt on my life was your doing?"

"Yes." Taliss admitted it, as if it was of no concern, and selected a piece of fruit from the slave's navel to pop into his mouth.

"Why? Why would you try to destroy the Hegemony's future plans?"

"It wouldn't destroy them. Just delay them a bit. If you fail, a Taliss will be selected to enact the plans."

"Are you telling me that you deliberately tried to have me killed to further the Taliss Family's reputation? You put your own family's prestige ahead of the Hegemony?"

"Two Rivelors, two Karthens. Are you telling me someone in your family didn't do something to make that happen?" Taliss gave her a smug look. "Tell me you wouldn't do the same."

Kikola stood up.

"I would not." She pulled out her sidearm and shot him between the eyes.

Chapter 8

Author's Page

Back to the Academy