CHAPTER 8

 

Boran Zerbilla sat in the co-pilot's seat in the cockpit of the Glyndwr, staring out at the bluish-hued stars up ahead and sipping a cup of hot tea. He felt comfortable in the darkened cockpit surrounded by the lights of the controls. It gave him a sense of womb-like tranquillity. Ever since he first sat in a cockpit of a ship when he was a child, it struck a chord somewhere deep inside him. He sometimes felt that this was as close to perfect pleasure as he could get. He had been a pilot once, but found he could make more money hiring them to fly for him, and that appealed to him more.

This was no pleasure trip for Boran or his companions on the journey, Hila and Kamina. That's because somewhere out there was a young woman who was like a daughter to him, and he was determined to rescue her. That should, in the words of an old friend of mine, make me a 'big damn hero'. So, why do I feel like an idiot? Boran thought.

They had information that Aloyd Karthen, and by association, Tehvay, were on Otopa.

Boran prided himself on being aware of every detail that could affect his business, and he knew that the Hegemony had access to Otopa every five years. If a wet behind the ears aloyd was being sent, then the system wasn't about to become a war zone. He would hate to think of Tehvay being caught up in that.

His common sense was telling Boran that he was going to get himself killed. That even getting close enough to Tehvay, to affect a rescue, was a near impossible task. However, as long as there was even a one in a million chance of success, he was not going to give up. And he was prepared to spend all of his time and wealth in pursuit of even that one shred of hope.

He was disturbed from his reverie by Kamina as she slipped into the fold down jump seat behind the pilot's chair. He nodded a greeting as she sat.

"Mr. Zerbilla, w—"

"Boran. Mr. Zerbilla was my father," he interrupted her.

"Boran, would you mind telling me more about Tehvay? I feel like I'm off on a big adventure to rescue her, and I don't know anything about her."

"No, I don't mind." Boran took another sip of his tea and turned in his seat, so he could see Kamina better.

"When I first laid eyes on Tehvay, she was a meek, obedient slave. Her owner, at the time, was one Faelene Gallish. I had gone to see Gallish, because I had learnt that she was setting me up to take the fall over a shipment of parts. She had been paid for the parts, but before she paid the manufacturer to make them, she gambled the money and lost. When her customer asked where his parts were, she said she'd shipped them using my services and that he should take it up with me."

"This FaeleneGallish sounds like a real piece of work," Kamina said.

"That's not even the half of it." Boran grimaced. "Excuse me." He let out a groan as he stood up from the cramped confines of the co-pilot's seat and took the fold down seat next to Kamina.

"Getting old," he explained. "So, when I showed up, Gallish knew she was in trouble. So, she offered Tehvay to me, telling me to do whatever I wanted to her – beat her, rape her, kill her. Gallish assumed I was as evil and heartless as she was. And like an obedient slave, Tehvay stepped forward offering herself to me, because her owner had ordered it." Boran took a sip of his tea in an attempt to swallow his outrage at the memory of it.

"Then what happened?"  

"I shot Gallish dead – not for trying to set me up, but for her bloody evil, vile treatment of this young slave girl."

Boran paused at this point in the story. He was finding it hard to be detached from the emotions of the incident and the circumstances of how he and Tehvay had met.

"I never owned a slave, or even traded in illegal slaves, but I wouldn't say I was strongly anti-slavery until that point. However, seeing Tehvay being degraded in such a despicable manner by Gallish, as though she were… just…" Boran could feel anger building and shook his head to dispel it. "Well, it had me way beyond rage. So much so, that it took me several moments to realise my IPB was in my hand and had been discharged."

"What did Tehvay do while all this was happening?" Kamina said with great interest.

Boran straightened up in the jump seat and said with a sense of sadness, "Nothing. She stood there and never even flinched. Tehvay had no reaction to me standing over the dead body of her owner. When I tried to take her hand and lead her away, she looked confused; she resisted slightly and bowed her head. Then, with no trace of emotion in her voice, she asked, 'Are you going to kill me now?'"

"She did? I would have scarpered the moment you pointed that weapon!" Kamina confessed.

"But you're not a slave. When you're brainwashed to follow orders and not think for yourself, you don't run. At least Tehvay didn't. "

"Is that when you rescued her?"

Boran lifted his head. "No, that is when she rescued me."

"I don't understand?"

He offered a wry smile to the teenager. "Maybe that's a good thing." The wry smile turned to a grimace as he stood up. "This seat is killing my back," he moved back to the co-pilot's seat and gestured for Kamina to take the pilot's seat.

Once they were both settled, he continued his story. "I've got a daughter, Tana. She lives with me. Likes spending my money. Even helps me earn it. We get along okay, I guess, but we're not what you'd call close.

"I didn't get to raise her, or even see her, until she was seven. Her mother had left with Tana soon after she was born, then turned up seven years later and dumped her on me. I did my best, but we never really bonded. She was too much like her mother by that point."

"That's a shame," said Kamina. "I was adopted when I was thirteen, but I got real close with my adopted parents."

Boran nodded. "Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming Tana, or excusing myself. But Tehvay was different. I was older and wiser. Tehvay was like a… tabula rasa. Are you familiar with that term?"

Kamina shook her head.

"It's an ancient term used by philosophers. It means something like 'empty page'. It's used to describe a person with no experience or perception of things. That a person in that state can be moulded to be whatever you want. That a person is not inherently good or bad, or clever or stupid. They are dependent on what they're taught and the environment they are taught in. Slaves are empty and kept empty. After my failure with Tana, I saw an opportunity to get it right. Does that make sense?"

Kamina shrugged. "I guess so."

"I wanted to help Tehvay develop a moral compass so she could make her way in the world, but how could I teach her if I was blurring the lines between right and wrong? So, I started to do more legitimate business. I started to be pickier about what sort of illicit deals I did. I could have made a fortune shipping drugs, weapons and such like, but people still needed food, tools, and medicine; that's the market I started to concentrate on. I was still making a sizeable profit, and it eased my conscience a bit to know that I could be a good influence in Tehvay's life."

Kamina leaned over and kissed him on the cheek.

"What was that for?" he asked.

"For being a nice guy."

"That's sweet, but I'm not."

"Not what?" asked Hila, entering the cockpit.

"Nothing." He waved his free hand to dismiss the conversation while he took another sip of tea.

Hila ignored him and spoke to Kamina. "The shower's free."

"Great!" Kamina jumped out of the pilot's chair. "Hope you left some hot water," she called as she headed off to the bunkroom.

Hila dropped down into the seat vacated by Kamina and watched her leave. The businessman regarded the pilot over the top of his cup. Her hair was still damp and she was glowing, but not from the shower, he guessed. "Why don't you share the shower?" he asked. "You share a bed."

A guilty look flashed across Hila's face. "That's different."

"I told you, Kamina didn't need to give up her bunkroom for me, I could've set up a cot in the lounge."

"I know, but we don't mind bunking together."

Boran gave Hila a knowing smile. "I didn't think you'd need a dumb excuse like me to make that happen."

Hila blushed a little as she quickly denied what he was implying. "We're just friends. As I said, sharing a bed is different to sharing a shower." Hila looked towards the cockpit door. "Though I bet if we did, she'd hog all the hot water, like she hogs the covers," she muttered under her breath.

"Yeah, right, 'just friends'… who like to share a bed."

"What, you've never had to share a bed with another man?"

"Had to share? Not platonically, no." There was a twinkle in his eye. "Besides I've seen the way you two check each other out when you think the other one isn't looking. It's classic. If there were any more sexual tension in here, I'd need a machete to cut through it!"

"No… really? I mean, I uh," Hila stammered and sputtered before denying there was anything more than deep platonic friendship between them.

"And I thought you were a woman of action," Boran replied.

"She's just a kid. She doesn't know what she wants."

"'There are none so blind as those who refuse to see'," Boran recited. "Kamina is old enough to know what – and who she wants. And it's obvious to me that you want her as well."

Hila didn't reply at first. "Maybe after we find Karthen and Tehvay," Hila said, "Kami and I will have that talk."

"Hey, I'm not one to stick my nose into your affairs, but you know I'm fond of you – and Kamina. I would hate for the two of you to live in unrequited misery all because you were afraid—"

"Me, afraid? Afraid of what?" Hila asked with feigned protest.

"You tell me," Boran replied. He paused to give Hila a chance to look inward for her answer. When there were none immediately forthcoming, he said, "If you won't be honest with me, then at least be honest with yourself."

Hila finally spoke. "There are things… things in my past that if Kamina found out," she paused. "Well, she wouldn't understand."

Boran regarded his friend with sympathy. "We all have a past, things we regret, and secrets we don't want revealed. But take it from me… you can't let your past ruin your chances for a future with Kamina. She loves you, and I would bet my fortune that who you are now is all that matters to Kamina."

Boran noted Hila's contemplative silence and changed the subject. He sipped his tea and shivered. "Doesn't your heating unit work?"

Hila shook her head. "Something broke about a year ago. It won't get above seventeen Celsius, but that's enough to keep me from freezing to death in space, so it's good enough. It's not that bad once you get used to it. Your problem is you're acclimatised to the desert heat on Shibato."

"I haven't slummed like this in decades," Boran carped teasingly.

"Hey, that's my ship you're talking about!" Hila tried to sound offended, but failed by a long way.

"Yeah, well with what I pay you, you could sell it and buy a new one," Boran said.

"You don't pay me that well," Hila replied, "and besides, the old girl has become home to me – the only home I have."

Boran looked Hila directly in the eye. "About that. There is something I have been meaning to discuss with you. I have made provisions – if I don't come back from this caper and you do, I mean."

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about who will take over the business in the event of my death." he replied. "Tana is looking after the business while I'm away."

"Is that wise?"

"For all her failings as a human being, Tana has a head for business – at least my business. It brings in the money, and she loves money more than anything. She'll make sure the business continues to make money in my absence – besides Marleen and Tremothen are there to keep an eye on things."

Hila nodded.

"Anyway, that is only until I get back," continued Boran. "If something happens to me, then I want you to know that I have made provisions in my will for you and Kami. You'll get a good share in the business."

"What did Tana say?" Hila replied.

"Tana kicked up a fuss when I told her, but I think it was mostly for show. I don't know if she has any interest in running the business long term, but she will need your help dealing with the more sinister elements of my business, you know what I mean?"

"Sure. I'll look after her."

Boran nodded. "And if by some miracle we rescue Tehvay, and I don't make it, I've made provisions for her as well. Tehvay will get an equal share of the business with Tana. In this case, I fear Tana may not take it well and do something stupid."

"Say no more. I'll look after Tehvay, and keep Tana in check."

"I sometimes wish you were my daughter, Hila," he sighed. "Then I wouldn't have to make all these provisions. I know you'll do the right thing."

"Hey! Stop it, will ya. You'll make me cry." Hila pretended to wipe tears from her cheeks.

"You can't bullshit me, Llyte. You may want people to think you're a cold-hearted businesswoman, but I know who you really are."

"You do?" Hila said nervously.

Boran winked knowingly. "Yes, you are just as soft and sentimental as the rest of us." He leaned in and patted Hila on the arm, his voice soft-spoken and sincere. "It's difficult for two old pirates like us to be open with our feelings, but you never know when it will be your last day. So, just in case, I just want you to know that I value our business relationship, I enjoy our friendship, and I care about you like you were family."

"Boran, you know how I feel about you, even if I don't say it," Hila looked uncomfortable when she spoke. "I've known you longer than anybody else. You were the first person I ever did business with. You trusted me at a time when I didn't trust anyone. You took me for who I was and taught me everything I know. You have always been fair. And for that, you have earned my respect and my trust. There are precious few people I could say that about."

Boran smiled, gave Hila's arm a gentle squeeze, and picked up his teacup again. As he finished the last drop of the lukewarm liquid, he recalled the pretty young woman who had sidled up to him in a bar on Tageloc and said that she had a business proposition for him. At the time, he was a forty-year-old man with wavy brown hair and stood just short of two metres tall. Some considered him good looking; though he didn't for one minute think she was one of them. He assumed she was a prostitute, but after taking in how she was dressed – in dark trousers and bulky jacket – he quickly dismissed that thought. She was no prostitute, at least not one who wanted to attract a male clientele.  

Another thing that struck him was her accent. He could only describe it as odd, as if she was just learning to speak the language, but there was an underlying tone that hinted at her origin. It wasn't a tone that pinpointed a planet or sector, but something else; still, he didn't care. In his line of work, curiosity about a person's personal business was a liability. She had intrigued him enough that he heard her out.

"Do you know that you pay Doletule ten thousand to carry your parcels, and it only costs him about one thousand in expenses?" she whispered.

"Yes."

"I can do it for five thousand."

"That's nice, kid. Is there a point to your story?"

"I am not greedy. Four thousand profit suits me, and you save yourself five thousand."

Boran could see she was scared… no, not scared, excited. This was something new to her, and she was enjoying it. There was something about her that he liked, and not just her pretty face, which she had obviously bought: from the perfectly shaped nose, to the perfectly sculpted cheek bones, to the perfectly profiled chin, not to mention eyes the shade of blue that could only come from a catalogue.

He reached in to his pocket and pulled out some credits and put them on the bar. "How many credits is there," he nodded at the pile.

She counted quickly. "Four hundred."

"Pocket change," he said. "Four hundred, four thousand, ten thousand. They are small numbers to me. If Doletule is making nine thousand profit on my deals with him, then he's a good businessman. I only deal with good businessmen. That five thousand you think I can save, if I use you, is not wasted. It buys me someone I can trust to do the job I ask them to do."

She opened her mouth to speak, but he cut her off. "If I trusted you as much as I trust him, then I'd be paying you ten thousand and not five thousand. And for the level of trust I have in you, someone whose name I don't even know, I wouldn't be paying you as much as five thousand."

He pushed the four hundred credits towards her. "I admire your b…" he chuckled, "I was going to say balls, but you clearly don't have them. Your bravado. If you want to earn my trust, come and see me in my office, and we'll discuss what you can do. Starting at the bottom, of course."

"Where is your office?"

"On Shibato." Boran slipped her a holographic card with the address and gestured to the credits. "Put that towards a ticket. If you can find the rest of the credits needed to buy a ticket and show up, then I'll know you're serious."

"When are you leaving here?" she asked as she pocketed the credits. "I wouldn't want to get there before you and have to wait."

"I'm leaving now," he said. "What name should I expect to hear when you arrive?"

She appeared to think for a moment as if she didn't know her name. "Hila," she said. "Hila Llyte."

"Then I'll see you soon, Miss Llyte."

He had seen her soon. She was waiting for him when he arrived on Shibato. Thus, began their long association, one that had grown into friendship.

Boran regarded Hila as she sat across the cockpit from him: she was no longer an eager teenager, but a confident, savvy woman. "You were barely eighteen when we first met, and you didn't even have a ship."

"I bought this ship with money I made working for you."

"You and I both know I paid you peanuts back then; it wouldn't have covered ten percent of the deposit."

"I had some money put by before I met you."

"You hadn't worked long enough to earn that money. Maybe you inherited from family, eh?"

"Something like that," Hila replied.

Boran waved a hand to dismiss the thread of conversation. "That's all irrelevant, anyway. What matters is the future. Orion willing, we will all get back safe and sound."

Boran didn't want to become maudlin, so he changed the subject back to the heating system. "This chase could take quite a while. We'll stop somewhere, and I'll pay to get the heating system fixed."

"We don't want to let the trail go 'cold'." Hila smiled at the pun she made.

"Ha, ha," he replied. "If I'd known the heat wasn’t working, I'd have arranged for us to use one of my ships!"

"Over my cold, dead body," Hila said.

"It might be 'my cold dead body' if you don't get it repaired soon. How long will it take us to get to Otopa?"

Hila glanced at a read-out next to her. "Another hundred and seventy-three hours and thirty minutes."

"And how quickly could the heating be fixed?"

"I don't know, a few hours, I guess. We'd have to find a spaceport with the parts, and it's unlikely they could fix it right away. There's always a wait."

"Not when they're offered the right amount of credits."

Hila leaned forward and looked at the navigation map on the console. "Hmm, actually the best place for us to get the repairs done is Dameb."

"By the time we get to the system, it is unlikely that Karthen will still be on Otopa," Boran said. "I'll speak to my contact on Dameb when we arrive, and you can get this ruddy heater fixed. My balls are getting frostbite!"

~~~~

When they arrived on Dameb, Hila made arrangements for a repair crew to fix the heating system while Boran called his contact at the spaceport controller's office. If anyone knew the whereabouts of Karthen's striker group in the Otopa system, it would be him.

While Hila and Boran were off chasing information as to the whereabouts of their quarry, Kamina stayed behind and waited for the spaceport maintenance team to come and repair the ship's heating unit. Kamina used her personal comm unit to call Hila and fill her in. "The maintenance crew is here."

"Did they say what was wrong?"

"It's not as bad as you thought. The heating core was shot, not the whole compressor, so they're replacing it now. It will take about two hours."

"Well, we're still waiting for Boran's contact to show up. Do you want to come join us?"

"If it is all the same to you, I thought I would take a walk and stretch my legs. There's a park nearby."

"Why don't you stay put? I don't like the idea of you wandering around alone in a place we know very little about. And besides, it will be dark in a few hours."

"You worry too much. Besides, I have spent most of my life in a sealed city, so any chance to get out in a natural atmosphere, and feel real sunshine on my skin, is not to be wasted."

"Promise me you will be careful."

"Promise."

~~~~

Rumours, speculation, guesses. That was all the information Boran's contact could offer on Karthen's whereabouts. Boran and Hila wanted hard facts.

"What?" Ilistan spread his arms wide as if challenging them. "I'm privileged to military information all of a sudden?"

Ilistan was around forty years old, yet still blessed with the attitude and style of a teenager from the 1580s. Hila thought his clothes, baggy black and white striped shirt, jacket and trousers, belonged in a museum, and the ridiculous way he threw his arms around, and seemed to grin after every expansive gesture, made her want to punch him.

The style of the man was in stark contrast to his apartment. Sleek, modern, and well appointed. He either earned a good salary or property was cheap on Dameb.

"This happens!" He gestured wildly at nothing in particular and grinned. "That happens!" He repeated the gesture. "What am I supposed to know, huh?"

"You must know something," said Hila trying to remain calm.

"Come on, Il," Boran said.

Hila was losing patience and wanted to get away before she resorted to violence. Boran had told her how irritating Ilistan's manner could be, but he said the guy was honest.

"I told you!" Again, the arms flailed and again the grin. "The two big ships arrive! They go to Otopa! Other ships arrive! They go there! They come here! A few days later they go away, yeah!"

"What do you know that you're not telling us?" pressed Hila.

Boran's friend ignored her. "Look, Bo," Ilistan seemed to lose his energy. "I've got to look out for myself. You understand? Military ships go where the military want them. If they think I know, I end up feeding the plants, yeah!"

"You know me, Il, I'm not going to say anything."

"No! You're chasing these ships!" He became animated once more. "They go somewhere; you follow! You follow; you get caught! You get caught; they want answers! Even if you don't give them answers, they work it out! They're not stupid!"

"Karthen's ships left Dameb. Do you know where they filed their flight plan to?"

"Am I not being heard? I don't know the movement of military ships!"

"You work at the spaceport," Hila said through gritted teeth.

"Which is commercial and private traffic. Not military."

"You still control all flight paths in the system," said Hila. "If the military are flying here, they pass through your monitored space. They request a clear path, and you make sure it's clear. They might not tell you details of the ship, who's on it, and the ultimate destination. But you're a smart guy, you can work it out."

He made another one of his arm gestures directly at Hila. "Where did you get her from, Bo?"

Finally, Hila had enough of the evasion and flailing arms. She punched him in the fleshy part of his shoulder.

"Ow!" Ilistan cried out.

"Hila!" cried Boran. "Sorry, Il."

"Get her out of here, Bo!"

Boran gave her a stern look, but she could tell it was just for Ilistan's benefit.

"I'll wait outside," said Hila, "and you tell Boran what you know, otherwise I'll come back in, and he'll wait outside."

Hila left the apartment and waited in the hallway. A few minutes later Boran came out.

"Did he talk?" asked Hila.

"Yes."

"And?"

Boran glanced over his shoulder and started to direct Hila away from the door.

"He doesn't know for sure, but suspects they went to Timar," whispered Boran.

"Then why didn't he tell us straight away?"

Hila spoke in a normal tone, and Boran warned her to keep it quiet.

"Because he's heard rumours. Something happened at the military base here on Dameb."

"What happened?" whispered Hila, obeying Boran's suggestion.

"He doesn't know. All he does know is the base was locked down shortly after Karthen's ship came back from Otopa, and it's still locked down. Ships are starting to take off and land, but no ground traffic is allowed in or out of the gates. He knows people who work at the base, and they've not been seen since."

"What does he think happened?"

"He doesn't want to speculate. My guess is something happened that the military desperately wants covered up."

~~~~

Kamina put her jacket on the grass and leaned back. As she did, her hand came up to shield her eyes from the solar rays. She thought it ironic to be basking in warm sunshine while waiting for the ship's heating to be fixed.

The solar rays felt good on her skin, and soon Kamina relaxed and closed her eyes, allowing her thoughts to drift towards a certain freighter captain with piercing blue eyes and jet-black hair. Too bad Hila's off with Boran, she thought. It would have been a nice spot for a romantic picnic, just the two of us. Kamina drifted off to sleep with images of Hila's beautiful face warming her insides.

Sadly though, Kamina's mini-holiday was short-lived, because the day on Dameb was only fourteen hours long and the planet's sun was rapidly sinking towards the horizon. Kamina climbed to her feet, picked up her jacket, and started heading back to the spaceport. In the increasing gloom, she saw a slender male figure loitering near the park's main gate. Growing up and surviving on the streets required one skill above all else: recognising trouble.

She turned to find another way out of the park, but what she found was a large, scruffy man with a knife, blocking her way.

How did he get so close behind me? she thought and cursed herself for not hearing him sneak up on her. She did, however, hear the accomplice by the gate jogging up behind her.

"Let's see what you got for me?" The man with the knife grinned, reaching out to snatch her jacket.

Kamina jerked her coat away, and the man stumbled. She jinked the other way and took off running. She heard two sets of footsteps pursuing her, but didn't turn around. It was getting darker, and she needed to find someplace to hide. Suddenly, something whistled past her right ear and hit the ground a metre in front of her. It was a knife. A less intelligent person might have stopped to pick it up, thinking they could turn and fight, or at least have a weapon if their chasers caught up, but Kamina was smarter. Let her pursuers slow down to pick it up.

There was a wall to her left, beyond which she could see the lighted street. The wall was low enough for her to clear on this side, but she didn't know how big a drop there was on the other side. She decided to take the chance, but as she reached the top of the wall, a hand grabbed her foot and pulled her back down.

Before she landed, Kamina swung her arm out. Her nails raked against skin and hair. The first rule of close quarters fighting that she had learnt was blood would scare most people. The easiest thing to make bleed was someone's nose. Seeing the face bearing down on her, Kamina propelled her head forward, hoping to break a nose with her forehead. Unfortunately for her, her assailant dodged. She bumped into his shoulder and suddenly two pairs of hands had her pinned to the wall.

"Scream and you won't hear it," one of the attackers growled. He held a knife in front of her face.

~~~~

The park was not quite on the route from Ilistan's apartment to the spaceport, but Hila insisted they walk that way. Kamina had told Hila she was going to the park, and Hila thought they might see her and walk back to the ship together.

Twilight was upon them as they saw the far end of the park, and a sight that tied Hila's stomach in knots.

"Is that—" Boran started to say.

Hila didn't hear the rest. She set off at a run with Boran following after her.

"Let her go!" she called out.

The muggers turned around and saw Hila and Boran. They looked surprised, but not put off.

"Hila," Kamina called out.

There was a hint of a warning in the way Kamina called her name, and Hila sensed other members of the gang approaching.

"I know there's more," said Hila calmly. She took a step forward. "Boran, get Kami out of here."

Boran knew better than to argue, because he knew Hila was more than capable in a fight. For a middle-aged man, he was rather nimble and rushed over to Kamina, pushing the slender man to the ground. At the same time, Hila lashed out at the larger thug with a crisp roundhouse kick, which sent him sprawling. She didn't wait for him to get up. Instead, she started running in the opposite direction, drawing the attackers further away from Boran and Kamina. The tactic worked.

In Hila's attempt to make herself the target of the thugs' attention, she had dealt a couple of blows to the nearest ones that had either drawn blood or cracked bones. A hand grabbed her shoulder from behind. Hila spun around, her knee connecting satisfyingly with a pair of testicles, and when her attacker doubled over, she landed a quick jab with her fist that made him spit blood.

From the corner of her eye, Hila saw Boran and Kamina reaching the safety of the well-lit street. She stopped and allowed the assailants to close on her. She smiled inwardly as they cautiously surrounded her.

"You are so fucking dead," growled one of them.

"Really?" Hila asked calmly. "From where I'm standing, you're the ones looking bloody and beaten."

The five thugs converged on her from all sides, but they were careful to keep their distance. Only one, the larger of Kamina's two original attackers, dared to get closer. She assumed him to be the ringleader. He was a few years older than the rest of his gang. Hila could tell, because he was the only one who had facial hair and an angular jaw of a man closer to thirty. He stopped a metre in front of her. He loomed menacingly over her.

"Me and the lads are going to have a good time raping you," he said, "before we kill you." One hand started to undo his belt as the other hand was waving a knife in her direction.

Hila relaxed. She knew she had won. The fact that they had stopped to threaten her told her they were beaten.

"I would like you to get out of my way. I want to leave," she said in a neutral tone of voice.

The ringleader gave a guttural laugh. "Well we ain't—"

Hila took a deliberate step forward. The ringleader was taken off guard and moved backwards, a brief flash of fear crossed his face. He regained his composure and made the mistake of stepping across the imagined line Hila had drawn. Hila answered him by pulling her IPB from under her jacket and pointing it at him point blank. The gang leader jumped backwards with a nervous look twisting his features. Hearing the sound of the weapon powering up, the others needed no prompting to back away.

"I'll bid you gentlemen goodnight," said Hila. "And if you get any smart ideas, I'll start playing for keeps." She stared at the ringleader down the barrel of the weapon. "Bang!" she shouted.

The thug nearly jumped out of his shoes, while his followers scurried for cover.

Hila confidently walked away without as much as a glance backwards, knowing she had made her point. She could hear the leader telling his mates 'let's get out of here' and the rapidly departing footsteps behind her.

She returned the IPB to her jacket pocket and casually walked towards the park exit, where Boran and Kamina were anxiously waiting for her outside the gates under a streetlight.

"Are you all right?" Kamina asked with great concern.

"Yes," Hila said tersely. Her muscles were still filled with adrenalin and her senses heightened from the confrontation.

"No trouble, then?" Boran asked.

"No," Hila confirmed. "Let's get out of here and back to the ship."

~~~~

While the Hegemony could hardly be called a lawless society in general, there were places that were more dangerous than others. Inside the spaceports were mostly safe, but Hila knew the areas immediately around them could be very unsafe, especially after dark. As they made their way back to the ship, Hila kept her hand on the weapon inside her jacket and one eye on the lookout, in case there was any more trouble.

Once they reached the safety of the Glyndwr, the three of them made their way to the lounge area just outside the cockpit. Hila, who normally had ice running through her veins, couldn't keep all the pent-up tension and worry from spilling out. She took her IPB out of her pocket and slammed it on the lounge table. "Of all the irresponsible, dangerous things to do!" she said angrily. "What were you doing at that park at sundown? Do you realise you could have been injured – or worse! I knew I should have never allowed you to leave the ship!"

Kamina's face showed shock at Hila's admonishment, and she defended her actions just like a fighter answering the blows of an opponent. "I didn't ask for your help! I had everything under control."

"And just what were you going to do against five of them, eh?" Hila scoffed.

"Well, I certainly wouldn't have yelled 'Bang' like a horse's arse!" Kamina returned.

Boran stepped in to calm the two women down before things were said that neither of them meant. "Hila, aren't you grateful that Kamina wasn't hurt?"

Hila immediately felt the anger leave her body. "Of course."

Boran turned to Kamina. "And aren't you relieved and thankful that Hila followed her instincts and insisted we come find you?"

Kamina released the tension bound up in her shoulders and neck. "Yes, I am – very thankful."

Boran smiled and stepped back, allowing Hila to gather Kamina into her arms.

"Are you sure you are all right?" Hila asked as she held the younger woman close.

"Yes." Kamina sighed with relief against the dark-haired woman's chest.

They stayed locked in an embrace for a few moments, until the fear was spent, and peace filled the room.

Kamina turned to Boran. "And thank you for coming to my aid."

"It's always good to have a bit of back up, isn't it?" said the older man, which garnered a smile from the young woman. He changed the subject. "I don't know about you two, but I'm hungry,"

Kamina agreed. "Yes, so am I. Let's go out and get something to eat."

"I think we've had enough adventure for one day," Hila said. "We'll eat in."

"But—"

"No buts," Hila said firmly.

"I'll call and get something delivered," said Boran and headed to his bunk, leaving the two women alone in the lounge.

"Kami—"

"It's Kamina, and I know what you're going to say—"

"No, you don't."

"Yes, I do – that I should have known better, that I should have been more careful."

"You could have easily been killed."

"But I wasn't, thanks to you and Boran. So, you can stop worrying about me."

"That's just it, I can't. If anything had happened to you—"

"It didn't."

"If anything were to happen to you… I don't know what I would do."

"Find yourself another annoying kid to tag along, I suppose," Kamina replied, not recognising that Hila was being sincere.

Hila winced a little. I deserved that. "I don't want anyone else. I want you."

"I bet you say that to all the girls," Kamina said half-jokingly.

"No, I haven't said it to anyone else… before now."

"Said what?"

Hila didn't answer. Her brain was overloaded with variations on how this scenario would play out.

Kamina waited patiently.

Finally, Hila answered her. "I kind of live for the now. Only, the now is fleeting, and I want something for tomorrow. I… I... want… you."

"I'm not sure what you're saying."

Hila dared to close the gap between them and took Kamina's hands in hers.

"I'm saying I… love you. I am in love you."

Kamina couldn't contain her joy. "Oh, Hila. I love you too. I am in love with you! I have been for ages."

"You were? You are?" Hila said with surprise. "Why didn't you say something? All this time I just assumed you didn't see me like that."

"Are you kidding? All those nights you went off alone, all those other lovers… I was so jealous. I wanted it to be me. I wanted to be the one you went home with, the one you took into your arms… the one whose body you craved."

"And all this time I thought, how could someone as young and as pretty as you go for an old dodgy spacer like me?"

"To begin with, you are not 'old' and you are most certainly not a 'dodgy spacer'. In fact, you are the sexiest, most incredibly beautiful woman in the whole universe!" Kamina squealed with delight. "I can't believe this is happening!" Kamina leaned back warily. "This is happening, right? I am not dreaming it – you really are in love with me?"

Hila chuckled a little and said, "Yes, Kami – I am in love with you."

Aware that her palms were beginning to sweat, Hila let go of Kamina's hands. As if she could sense Hila's nervous energy, Kamina met Hila's gaze, smiled reassuringly, and allowed her eyes to close.

Hila leaned down and softly pressed her lips to Kamina's. There was an immediate spark. Hila drew Kamina to her and chanced kissing the young woman more fully on the lips. Kamina was more than responsive. She put her arms around Hila's neck and sought to deepen the kiss even more. Hila relaxed her mind and allowed her heart to take over. Their bodies pressed together as their tongues playfully fuelled their mutual desire.  

Boran came back into the lounge area. "The food is here. I hope you are hungry—" He stopped in his tracks. "Ahem." Boran cleared his throat politely.

By reflex, Hila pulled away from Kamina. The younger woman wiped her mouth and grinned.

"'Just friends' my foot," he said out loud.

Hila gave him a sheepish smile and said, "Okay, more than 'just friends'."

"Much more," Kamina added.

"The food is in the galley if you want any."

Hila looked at Kamina wondering what to do next, but the teenager had her own idea. She took Hila's hand and started heading in the direction of Hila's bunkroom.

"That's okay," Kamina said to Boran. "We'll have it for breakfast."

When they entered the room, Hila turned on the lights and swallowed hard. She could read all the emotions on the dark-haired girl's face: excitement, eagerness, lust, nervousness – love.

She offered Kamina a smile shaded with uncertainty. "I realise all this is sudden… erm… I…" Hila silently cursed herself for the inelegant way she tried to relieve the awkwardness she was suddenly feeling.

Kamina didn't appear to be listening and was intent on dragging Hila to bed. Hila dug her heels in, and her resistance finally brought Kamina to a halt.

"You don't want this?" asked Kamina. Her voice was small and close to breaking.

Hila knew this situation was a minefield that needed to be carefully navigated lest it blew up in her face. "Of course, I do. I just want to slow things down a bit."

 

"Oh," Kamina said disappointedly. She dropped her head and allowed her hair to fall in front of the scar on her left cheek.

 

Hila reached out with her right hand and gently moved the hair away from Kamina's face, exposing the scar. Kamina lowered her eyes and moved her head away, allowing the hair to fall back and cover the scar. Hila moved the hair off her face again.

 

When Kamina tried to move it again, Hila stopped her. "Kami, you never have to hide your beautiful, perfect face from me." She leaned forward and kissed Kamina's scar.

Hila took a step back. She wanted to clearly see the truth when she asked the next, most important question. "Kami please, look into my eyes and tell me again. Are you sure this is what you want—that I am what you want?"

Kamina met Hila's gaze without hesitation and beamed. "Yes. Oh, yes Hila." She threw her arms around Hila's neck. 

Hila wasn't prepared for such enthusiasm and fell onto the bed with Kamina on top of her. It wasn't the most romantic way to start, but it broke the ice.

"Are you going to talk all night, or are you going to kiss me?" Kamina asked playfully.

Hila hesitated. "Kami, I… I don't want to spoil the mood, but have you… you ever…"

"Had sex before? Yes." Kamina leaned over and placed a kiss on the tip of Hila's nose. "But not with a woman."

"Then—"

"Hila. I know what to do. Well, in theory." Kamina slid down Hila's body and kissed Hila on the neck. "And if…" She slid some more and kissed Hila on the chest between her cleavage. "I get…" Another slide. She pushed up Hila's shirt and kissed her belly. "Anything wrong…" She tugged at Hila's trousers. "I'm sure you'll correct me." Her mouth found Hila's breasts and she eagerly devoured them.

Hila closed her eyes and arched her back when Kamina's teeth raked across her nipples. The pleasurable sensation shot to her groin. She let out a groan.

Kamina glanced up. "Am I doing it right?"

"Yes, you are doing it so right."

"Show me what to do next." The young woman pulled her bright green dress off over her head and flung it behind her without a care where it landed.

This was not how Hila imagined it would be. She thought that Kamina would be shy, and that she would have to gently guide the young woman, but Kamina was bold and eager. Throwing uncertainty to the wind, Hila hooked her arm around Kamina's waist and flipped her on her back in one fluid motion. Hila kissed her young lover and smiled as she slowly descended.

Chapter 9

Author's Page

Back to the Academy