CHAPTER 11

 

The shift on the interceptor had been routine. Kikola sat in the galley staring into a glass of water. All she could think about was Tehvay and what finally happened the previous night. She knew the mechanics of sex, but had never experienced the intensity that making love offered. She closed her eyes and relived the sensations her body felt – the spark of desire, the warmth of Tehvay's skin, the longing at her core. Self-pleasuring paled in comparison to having Tehvay touching her so deeply, so intimately for the first time. Kikola felt Tehvay's tenderness and love with every kiss, every stroke. The only thing that would have made it perfect was if she could have given Tehvay the same gift. That will come in time. We've taken the first step, she thought.

Kikola was startled by Yuniph's voice from the comm. "Officer Karthen, report to starboard airlock. We've got an unapproved ship. They've agreed to let us board."

"On my way."

Kikola took a final swig of her water and hurried to the airlock. Yuniph was already waiting there.

"How many on board, Sergeant?" asked Kikola. Both of them liked to keep it formal while on duty; one of the few areas in which they both felt comfortable.

"Six," Yuniph replied. "They claim to be here on a personal matter."

"Have you called for backup?"

"They've been compliant so far, but I've called in Interceptor Four just in case."

Kikola nodded and turned her attention to the airlock panel. The contact light came on just before she felt the slight judder. Once the seal light came on, Yuniph opened the door. Kikola took point and led the way.

The door to the other ship was open and a man and woman stood there waiting for them. The man rushed past Kikola before she realised what was about to happen.

The man grabbed Yuniph. The sergeant's defence training kicked in, and she threw him to the floor. Her IPB appeared in her hand, and she pointed it at the man's head.

"No! Sergeant Veilan, stop!" Kikola shouted.

Yuniph shot a look at her.

"It's all right." Kikola gestured at Yuniph to put the weapon away. "He just mistook you for Tehvay."

"You know him?"

"That's Boran Zerbilla."

Yuniph released him and stepped back. "I'm sorry, but you shouldn't try to grab a security officer like that."

"My mistake," said Boran. He climbed to his feet and smoothed out his trousers and casual button-down shirt. "Would someone like to explain?"

"This is Yuniph, Tehvay's sister," said Kikola. "Tehvay's twin sister."

"Twin sister?" Boran looked baffled.

"It is going to take some explaining," said Kikola. "It looks like I am not the only one with explaining to do." She turned away from Boran to the impeccably dressed woman in the airlock. "Mother, what are you doing here?"

Mariantha walked slowly towards her daughter. Kikola could see moisture in her eyes and a lot of conflicted emotion on her face. "Kikola. It is so good to see you again."

Kikola could not resist it; she closed the gap between them and enveloped her mother in an embrace. "I have missed you."

Yuniph's voice interrupted the reunion. "Officer Karthen."

Kikola took a step away from her mother and turned to face her colleague. "Yes, Sergeant?"

"I take it you can vouch for these people."

"Yes. They are not slavers. This is my mother, Mariantha ap Karthen, and Boran Zerbilla, a good friend."

"Welcome to Trengos," Yuniph said. "You may continue on your way." She turned to Kikola. "Officer Karthen, we must return to the ship."

It was ingrained in Kikola that an order from a superior officer had to be obeyed. Yet she hesitated.

"Sergeant, might I have permission to accompany them to the surface? There is so much I need to tell them."

"We are still on duty," Yuniph stated.

Kikola glanced at Boran, who was looking at Yuniph. She could tell he was trying to make sense of it all, but she had her orders.

"Yes, Sergeant."

Mariantha glared at Yuniph. "I have come halfway across the Spur to see my daughter. She will return to duty when I am finished speaking with her."

Her mother could be a force of nature that was impossible to resist. As a judge, Mariantha commanded attention in her courtroom. Outside the courtroom, she could adopt a tone of voice that demanded everyone stop and pay attention to her. The voice, coupled with a glare and a stance that made her seem twice as imposing, was enough to freeze Yuniph. Even Boran took his cue to slink back inside the airlock.

The sergeant took several heartbeats to recover. She blinked slowly. "A minute," she muttered, and retreated back to the interceptor.

Mariantha's stance softened when Yuniph left, and she turned back to Kikola.

"There's been a change in the Council," her mother told her. "Ambra ap Lentol has taken over. She has declared herself Bren."

"Ambra? Bren? Nobody has claimed the title Bren in over a thousand years."

"Well she has, and she has expelled the founding families from the Council – declared them all Fethusal. I decided to flee rather than stay and suffer the humiliation." Mariantha paused. "Your Uncle Toman is dead."

The news hit her like a gut punch, but Kikola retained her calm façade.

"How did Uncle Toman die?" Kikola asked her mother.

"He took his own life," her mother replied. "He was the primary speaker against Ambra. He also organised an attack on her ship that failed, and it shifted the Council's favour in her direction. He must have felt disgraced, and Ambra wouldn't have let him live anyway, no matter what promises she might have made to the contrary." Mariantha shook her head sadly.

"That is… regrettable." Kikola shook her head. "What about Rephon?"

"Your brother is safe. At least he was the last time I spoke to him. Ambra promised that no one would be harmed during the transition."

Kikola tried to process what she was hearing. "How did you come to be with Zerbilla?"

"Jenissa ap Taliss told me about him." Her mother glanced over her shoulder. "She is here with me. Her slave… Ambra ap Lentol had it killed."

Kikola felt a pang of sorrow for the young woman. She knew how much Jenissa loved Menari. "I must get back to work. We will talk later."

Her mother's demeanour changed from soft to hard. "How can you take orders from that woman? She's not Elit. Why aren't you in charge?"

"No, she's not Elit. Neither am I, here. Neither are you, now." Kikola squeezed her mother's arm. "I really must go. I will come find you after my shift." She glanced past her mother to Boran. He was flanked by a man and a woman Kikola recognised as Boran's trusted advisors, Tremothen and Marleen, who had helped in the plan to rescue Tehvay. Kikola gave a welcoming nod in their direction and hurried back to the interceptor.

~~~~

Tehvay was anxiously awaiting Kikola's return from work. Memories from the previous night were still foremost in her mind: the sounds Kikola made, the smoothness of her skin, the taste, the emotions. Ima was right, thought Tehvay. Physical intimacy does bond two people… and with that bonding comes freedom. Tehvay wanted to be free of her demons from the past and free to give herself to Kikola fully. So, she had their evening planned out from the moment Kikola would walk through the door to the moment they would finally drift off to sleep in each other's contented embrace.

Tehvay was in the kitchen preparing a nice meal for Kikola, made with fresh ingredients from the market, not the food dispenser. She stirred the pot, careful not to spill the sauce on her favourite green dress. She wore it especially for Kikola, because she knew Kikola liked it, and she wanted the evening to be perfect.

Tehvay was so engrossed in what she was doing that she didn't hear the front door open. Her heart leapt when Kikola came into the room.

"You're home!" Tehvay stopped what she was doing and greeted Kikola with a kiss. "Look," said Tehvay pointing to a pot on the hob. "I've made dinner to surprise you."

"I have got a surprise, too" said Kikola.

"A surprise?" Tehvay was intrigued. "It isn't flowers is it? Because I got some for you this time." She pointed to a lovely bouquet that dominated the centre of the table.

Kikola smiled. "No, not flowers. Even better. Follow me."

Tehvay turned off the hob and followed Kikola into the living room.

When she entered the room, Tehvay was surprised to find they had guests. She was a bit disappointed, because it meant the romantic evening she had planned for the two of them was over. However, her disappointment changed to celebration when she recognised the gentleman with the designer suit and broad smile standing before her.

"It can't be… Boran?" Tehvay launched herself at him and joyful tears flowed as Boran swept her up in his arms.

"Hey there," he whispered. "No need for tears now."

"I thought I'd never see you again," said Tehvay.

"It seems Orion had other plans," Boran replied.

Tehvay finally pulled back from Boran and noticed Kikola standing with a middle-aged woman in a form-fitting, knee-length green dress, with flowing black hair, polished nails, and the same determined brow as Kikola.

It took a moment for Tehvay's brain to register that the woman was Judge Mariantha ap Karthen, Kikola's mother. "I don't understand. What are you doing here?"

"I am here to see my daughter," Mariantha remarked.

She crossed to the other side of Kikola, revealing someone else from Tehvay's past that took a moment for her to recognise. The usual glorious golden curls fell lankly over her shoulders, and the simple plain black dress was light years from her usual finally detailed attire.

"Hello, Tehvay. How are you?" asked Jenissa ap Taliss.

Tehvay was struck dumb. She never expected to see her former owner ever again. "I—I'm fine, Ma'am." Tehvay cringed inside at how easily she acted like a slave again.

"Jenissa." The young woman bowed her head. "You may call me Jenissa if you wish – anything but Ma'am. You are not my slave anymore."

"Um… I…" Tehvay struggled to find her voice. "Is Menari with you?"

At the mention of Menari's name, Jenissa broke down.

Boran laid a hand on Tehvay's shoulder. "I'm afraid Menari is dead."

"Oh. I am sorry." Tehvay was conditioned never to ask what happened to a slave and discouraged not to form emotional bonds with other slaves. Still, she knew how much Jenissa loved Menari and felt genuine sadness for the young woman's loss. Tehvay observed Kikola's mother placing an arm around Jenissa's shoulders in an effort to comfort her. She thought it strange to see the judge demonstrating compassion like that. Where's her compassion for her daughter? Tehvay wondered.

Tehvay directed their guests to make themselves comfortable. Mariantha and Jenissa sat in two armchairs. Tehvay settled down on the sofa between Boran and Kikola.

"I cannot believe you gave up everything for this tiny hovel." Mariantha looked around the room with disdain.

"Mother! You are forgetting; you too have given up everything."

"Yes, but I will not lower—"

"It's so great to see you again." Boran said loudly, curtailing Mariantha's speech. "Marleen, Tremothen, and Tana send their regards."

"Are they here on Trengos?" asked Tehvay.

"Yes, though they remained on the ship. I thought it would be too much if we all turned up at once, but they can't wait to see you."

"I can't wait to see them, and I can't wait for you to meet my family!"

"I'd love to meet them, though I met your sister earlier. Yuniph is it?" Boran replied.

"You did? Yes, Yuniph. How? When?" Tehvay was still a little overwhelmed, and the questions came tumbling out.

Kikola explained. "Yuniph and I were on an intercept mission when we encountered Boran's ship."

"And let's just say there was a case of mistaken identity that nearly had me arrested!" added Boran.

"Did you choose this backwater planet for your exile because your family was here?" Mariantha asked Tehvay.

Tehvay was taken aback by the judge's question. It felt like she was being cross-examined. "I, uh…"

"We didn't know Tehvay's family lived here," Kikola responded. "It was a happy coincidence."

"I don't believe in coincidence," said Mariantha, "and I don't believe you are happy with a low-rank security job instead of the prestige and glory that being the next Rivelor would have brought to you and to the Karthen family."

"Mother, I assure you I am at peace with my decision to choose love over prestige."

"Well, I am glad you are at peace with your decision," Mariantha replied with obvious sarcasm. "My life and that of the rest of the family are in ruins, your uncle Toman is dead, and Ambra is now Bren, all because of your carnal feelings for a fugitive slave."

"Tehvay. Her name is Tehvay," Kikola reached out and took Tehvay's hand. "I truly regret the trouble I have brought to you and the family, but I do not regret my decision. I love Tehvay with all my heart and we are content in our life together here on Trengos. I will be even happier if that life includes you."

Tehvay listened to this exchange with mixed emotions. She had never stopped to consider how their actions had affected Kikola's family. She could almost feel empathy for Kikola's mother, especially for the loss of Kikola's uncle.

Kikola's mother said nothing in response, and for a few moments no one spoke. Eventually Tehvay broke the silence. "Who's Ambra?"

"There has been a change of power in the Hegemony," said Kikola. "Ambra ap Lentol has seized control of the Council."

"Is that bad?" asked Tehvay.

"Yes," said Mariantha curtly.

"She has declared herself Bren and is purging the Council of those opposed to her," Kikola explained to Tehvay.

"Bren?" queried Tehvay.

"It's a title once given to the supreme leader of the Hegemony," said Jenissa. "I remember it from history class," she added when the others turned their attention towards her.

"About three hundred years after the founding of the Hegemony, Narish ap D'Angel was declared Bren," said Kikola. "It was meant to be a title shared among all families, handed over every ten years. However, he abused his powers and made it an hereditary title. For over two hundred years the D'Angels ruled the Hegemony. The other Elit families were marginalised. Eventually, the old order was restored and the position of Bren abolished. The D'Angels agreed that they would concentrate their efforts in more artistic roles for being allowed to remain in the Elit."

"Is that why you came here? Because this Ambra has taken control?" Tehvay asked Boran.

Boran nodded. "The political turmoil in the Hegemony was becoming bad for business," he said. "I had already begun to liquidate some of my holdings when Mariantha and Jenissa arrived on Shibato. Jenissa remembered me from when we rescued you and thought I could help them. So, to make a long story short, here we are." 

Tehvay regarded the group sitting in her living room: the judge that had returned her to slavery, her former owner, and her very dear friend. It was almost overwhelming to think of what it all would mean to their lives going forward.

Tehvay needed a moment to collect her thoughts, soshe went to the kitchen to get some refreshments. A bowl of peeled namida fruit sat on a worktop. Tehvay had planned for her and Kikola to feed it to each other. She could just imagine sucking the juice off Kikola's slender fingers. A noise behind her pulled her out of her reverie. She turned and saw Judge Karthen standing in the kitchen doorway.

Tehvay was unsure what to say to her. This was the woman who had spared her life, and unwittingly, given her a new and better one, but Tehvay was still reluctant to consider her an ally.

"I met your sister earlier on," said Mariantha. "A rather wilful creature, ordering my daughter about. I recall you were quite wilful at your trial. I hope you do not order Kikola about."

"And what if I do? Does it offend you?"

"She is Elit, you are a slave. How she could lower herself to—"

"Oh! She lowers herself quite easily when I tell her to get on her knees and lick me." Tehvay hissed, keeping her voice low. "Is that what you want to hear? Is it?"

"If you are trying to shock me, you will not succeed."

"What do you want from me then?"

"I want you to understand. Kikola was tutored and mentored and shaped into the perfect soldier, fit to be not just any aloyd, but the Rivelor. She was to ensure the Karthen family name would be remembered for eternity. When she told me that she was in love with another woman, I was disappointed. Had she had fallen for some respectable Fethusal senior officer, that sort of thing can be tolerated if knowledge of it is contained within a family, but if it became widely known it would be an embarrassment. I even hoped she would find a man to marry, even if it would only be to keep up appearances. Through all of it, though, she would still be my daughter and I would support her. Any woman would be more acceptable than a slave. I should have had you executed when I had the chance. If I had, none of this would have happened."

Tehvay felt the sting of the judge's rebuke, and she wasn't going to leave it unanswered. "My parents told me they remembered you from visits to the Lentols. They said you weren't a very nice person. I see you haven't changed."

"The Lentols? Your parents were slaves to the Lentols?"

"Yes."

"They were freed?"

"Yes. When my mother was pregnant. However, freedom was only for them and one child. I was taken into slavery."

Mariantha studied her carefully. "The Lentols should have had your mother put down instead of freeing her."

~~~~

Kikola heard what sounded like a slap and went into the kitchen.

"What's going on?" she asked.

The red mark on her mother's cheek told her what had happened, but she asked the question anyway.

"Nothing," said Mariantha. "Nothing that I did not deserve."

"I thought you wanted to use the toilet?"

Offering no reply, Mariantha turned and walked into the hallway and up the stairs.

Kikola looked at Tehvay. "You slapped my mother?"

"Yes," said Tehvay. "I'm sorry, but she said a few unkind things about me which I tried to ignore, but when she said the Lentols should have had my mother put down instead of freeing her, I just reacted."

Anger boiled up in Kikola. She had tolerated her mother's rude behaviour towards Tehvay for the sake of decorum, but this time her mother had gone too far. "I am going to have a word with her." As she turned to go and confront her mother, a hand on her elbow stopped her.

"Don't," said Tehvay. "You heard your mother. She said she deserved it. Confronting her won't make the situation better, only worse."

Kikola's voice was raised. "She cannot talk to you like that!"

Tehvay's voice was barely above a whisper. "I've been spoken to worse." 

"That doesn't excuse her behaviour."

"Please, let it drop," Tehvay pleaded. "For me."

Kikola felt the anger dissipate and hugged Tehvay. "If that is what you want."

"Go back in and see to our guests," said Tehvay. "I'll bring in the refreshments."

"Are you sure? Do you want me to help? You go back in, I will get—"

Tehvay placed a finger over Kikola's lips and kissed her on the cheek. "Go on." She gave a smile and nodded her head in the direction of the door. "I can manage."

I am glad one of us can, Kikola thought.

Kikola was still irked at her mother's behaviour, but she let the matter drop and returned to the main room where Boran and Jenissa were left waiting. Kikola wasn't sure if Boran and Jenissa had overheard the commotion in the kitchen, but she didn't mention it. She tried to engage Jenissa in conversation; however, the young Taliss woman only replied with a monosyllabic 'yes' or 'no'. She was almost grateful when Mariantha returned to the group, and relieved that the red mark from Tehvay's slap had faded and nothing more was said.

Tehvay came in bearing a tray of snacks and something to drink.

Kikola poured everyone a glass and offered them to their guests. Jenissa passed on anything to eat or drink. Boran was happy to try it. Then Kikola came to her mother. Mariantha took the glass and smelled the drink before she tried it.

"It is called seidfalr," explained Tehvay, "a fermented cider that my father makes from the fruit of the fala tree. He's quite a good gardener."

"Is that so?" replied Mariantha. She brought it to her lips and took a small sip. "It's not in the same class as the cider back home." She took another small sip. "Still, not bad," she conceded.

"I will tell him you liked it," said Tehvay.

Boran tasted it and said, "This really is good. Perhaps your father would consider going into business together."

"I'm not sure. He might," Tehvay said thoughtfully. "He doesn't produce a lot of it."

"Even better! If it's rare we can charge more for it!" Boran raised his glass and took another swallow of the seidfalr.

"Perhaps you can discuss with him when you meet my parents."

"I will," Boran said. He emptied the glass of every drop.

Mariantha put her glass down. "I think we would all agree that it has been a very eventful day. Perhaps we should call it a night."

"Not yet," said Kikola. "I would like to know more about the situation in the Hegemony."

"Why the concern?" Mariantha asked with thinly veiled bitterness.

"I am curious, and I care," Kikola replied.

"I'll be happy to tell you what I know," Boran said, "but I agree with Mariantha. It has been an eventful day."

"I have an idea," said Tehvay. "Kikola, you have a day off work tomorrow, don't you?"

 "Yes."

"Why doesn't Boran come back tomorrow morning? You can talk about it then."

"Sounds good," said Boran. "I'll bring Tremothen and Marleen along," Boran offered.

"That would be wonderful! I'm anxious to see them again," said Tehvay. Not wanting to seem impolite, Tehvay asked Kikola's mother and Jenissa if they would like to come back tomorrow. Answering for both herself and Jenissa, Mariantha begged off, saying it had been a long journey and they needed to catch up on their rest.

Tehvay turned her attentions back to Boran. Her excitement to have him here in the flesh was almost overflowing. "I would love for you to meet my parents then, as well!"

"That would be great," said Boran.

"Good, I'll arrange it." Tehvay touched Kikola on the arm. "I'll send a message to Tru and Ell to see if they can come. I'd like them to meet everyone as well."

Kikola nodded, and Tehvay excused herself and left the room. She returned a few moments later carrying her comm unit. "Trujilon says he can come tomorrow morning. Ell can't make it. She has to work."

Kikola's mother rose from her seat, which prompted Jenissa to stand as well. "It is getting late. It is time we returned to the ship."

"Right," said Boran, taking his cue from Kikola's mother. He turned to Tehvay and gave her a fatherly hug. "I'll see you tomorrow then."

Tehvay and Kikola watched from the doorway as Boran, Mariantha, and Jenissa drove off into the night. 

"That's not the evening I had planned for us," said Tehvay.

"Nor I," replied Kikola.

"Is what your mother said true? Did you rescuing me and giving up your career lead to your Uncle Toman's and Menari's death?"

"It might have played a part, but no, we are not responsible for their deaths. Ambra ap Lentol is responsible. She used us as an excuse to overthrow the Council and seize power."

"What happens now?"

"What do you mean?" asked Kikola.

"I mean, your mother didn't come all this way just to see where we live. She's come to try and convince you to go back and stop Ambra."

"Perhaps," said Kikola, "and perhaps she and Jenissa came to start a new life. Who knows, they may grow to love it here as much as we have."

"Well, at least one good thing has come out of it. They brought Boran with them."

"True," said Kikola with a smile. "'So, what happens now?' you ask." Kikola took Tehvay's hand. "Now, we go upstairs and let tomorrow take care of itself."

~~~~

The ship was quiet. Everyone else on board had retired to their cabins for the night. Having traded his suit for more comfortable lounging slacks and long-sleeved shirt, Boran settled into the darkened cockpit, cradling a drink. He looked out at the lights of the spaceport. The port authorities had told him it could be several months before he'd get a covered hangar, maybe longer. In the meantime, he'd secured a remote open bay away from the general passenger terminal. If he squinted, he could make the lights look like stars and pretend he was in space.

Maybe I should just have a hangar built, he thought.

"Thought I'd find you here."

Boran turned to look at his daughter, Tana, who was framed by the cockpit doorway. She was wearing a jumper and form fitting slacks as if she had just come from exercising, though Boran had never known his daughter to be a fitness buff. Shopping was more her sport.

Tana entered the cockpit and sat in the co-pilot's chair.

"How's Tehvay?" she asked.

"She's good. She's happy. I'm going to see her again in the morning. She's taking me to meet her parents. You can come along."

Tana shook her head. "We're going to need an income."

Boran's finances were not foremost in his mind. "I've—"

"We're perfectly placed to take advantage of the local haulage market."

Boran frowned. "We are?"

"I did a little research while you were out. Everyone around here is independent. 'Inter-planetary distribution network' appears to be an alien concept around here. We talk to suppliers. We talk to customers. We hire pilots. The market will be ours in no time."

"Simple as that," he said, nodding and smiling.

"If you want it. You're better at the negotiations than me."

"Don't underestimate yourself."

"I don't." She looked offended by his words. "I can do it, but I recognise that you're better at it."

Boran was silent for several seconds. "Do we ever talk about anything other than business or money?" He looked at his daughter earnestly. "What's the last book you read?"

Tana looked confused by his change of subject. "I don't know. Some crappy fantasy novel. What's that got to do with anything?"

"Maybe it's about time I got to know you better." 

His daughter stood up. "It's late. We're on a planet in the arse end of nowhere, and you want to talk books." She shook her head slowly. "I'll make some contacts and get back to you." She headed for the exit, stopped, and turned back. "I don't hate you. I know you don't hate me. Let's not complicate things, okay."

"Tana, I… Now that Tehvay is back in my life. I'm going to put her back in my will."

Tana shrugged. "I figured as much."

"It'll just be a payment, and if you keep the business running, a percentage—a small percentage—of the profits."

"Then I better go and get us some business." With that, Tana left.

Boran leaned back in the pilot's seat. After seeing Tehvay again, the thought of settling down on Trengos seemed a more acceptable idea. About forty percent of his business involved trade coming from or going to the Graelands, so Trengos would be a convenient place to set up shop and wait for the winds of change in the Hegemony to blow his way again. Pan Willam on Argos Station would still be a useful contact for trading wholly within the Graelands, Boran thought. This could work.

He stood and finished his drink. Rain started to patter against the cockpit windows. I should find somewhere drier to build a new estate.

~~~~

Tehvay opened the front door as Boran's surface vehicle pulled up outside the house. Two people hurriedly exited the vehicle and headed towards her, pausing only to close their coats to protect against the chilly morning air.

Before she could utter a word, Tehvay was lifted off her feet by Tremothen's enthusiastic embrace.

"Put her down, you big fool," said Marleen. When her husband obeyed, the small woman crushed Tehvay in her own hug. The three of them stood on the pavement, hugging and grinning at each other, while Boran stood a short distance away smiling at all of them.

Kikola came out of the house donning a light jacket, and joined Tehvay and her friends. "It's good to see you both again," she said to the couple.

"Good to see you, too," said Tremothen.

"It is chilly standing out here," Kikola said, gesturing towards the house. "Come in."

Marleen nodded at Kikola, took her husband's arm, and started to walk towards the entrance.

"Wait," said Tehvay. "I was going to take Boran around to meet my parents before they go to work this morning. Why don't you two come with us?"

"We'd love to," said Marleen. "But we wouldn't want to impose."

"It is no imposition. They'd love to meet you," said Tehvay.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes!" Tehvay assured them. "They don't live far from here. I thought we'd walk."

"Sure," replied Boran.

Tehvay turned to Kikola. "We won't be long. If Trujilon comes before we get back, be nice to him."

"I will. Give my regards to your parents."

Kikola went back into the house while Tehvay, Boran, Tremothen, and Marleen set off on the short walk to her parents.

Tehvay led the way, with Boran beside her and Tremothen and Marleen walking behind.

"Are we going to meet your sister this morning?" Tremothen asked.

"No, Yuniph had already left for work when I called my parents this morning," Tehvay replied.

"What's it been like for you, being reunited with your parents and sister?" Marleen asked.

"Is it 'reunited'?" Tremothen asked his wife. "I mean she never knew them before."

"You know what I mean." Marleen hushed her husband.

Tehvay glanced over her shoulder to answer Marleen's question. "Finding my family has been wonderful, though it's been an adjustment for all of us, especially my sister."

"Oh, why is that?" Marleen asked.

"She found it a challenge suddenly having a twin sister she knew nothing about. She felt excluded by the attention I was getting. Everything is fine between us now though."

"I'm glad to hear that," Marleen replied.

Boran chimed in. "I'm happy that you have found your family."

Tehvay noted a sadness to his tone. She stopped walking and turned to him. "You are still my family, Boran." She looked at Tremothen and Marleen. "You are my family, too. Kikola is my family. We are all family now."

Boran smiled at Tehvay affectionately, and then he reached out and ruffled her hair. "I'm used to seeing you in short hair."

Tehvay ran a hand through her hair to smooth it down. "Yes, when you freed me, I got it cut because it was my choice. Now… I don't know, I've been letting it grow out a bit. Again, my choice. That's freedom," Tehvay said. "I—Your moustache! You've shaved it off!"

Boran laughed as he rubbed the stubble over his lip.

"It'll be back before long!" said Tremothen. "He gets rid of it every few years. Within six months it's back."

"Am I that predictable?" asked Boran.

"Yes," Marleen agreed. "Your hair is lovely, Tehvay," she added. "Unlike mine." She pointed to her greying hair.

"I didn't marry you for your hair." Tremothen patted his wife on the bottom.

"And you think I married you for yours?" She returned his pat with a slightly harder one as he smoothed out his bright red hair.

They continued on their way. Before too long, Tehvay led them up a garden walk of a semi-detached home that was similar to Tehvay and Kikola's house a few streets away. "Here we are."

Tehvay opened the door to her parents' house and entered. Her father appeared, already dressed in work clothes for his first landscape job. Pallin smiled at his daughter and stepped aside to allow Boran and the others to enter.

Pallin took everyone's coats and put them in a cupboard under the stairs. Tehvay observed her father's facial reaction to the vibrantly coloured clothing their guests revealed as the coats had come off. His eyebrows registered the bold shade of purple of Boran's suit jacket, Marleen's flaming red dress, and the broad green and blue striped shirt Tremothen sported. Tehvay's parents favoured more practical attire in shades that didn't make them stand out. The contrast between business people and ex-slaves was not lost on Tehvay.  

"Come on through," said Pallin. His manner was polite but aloof.

Tehvay frowned at her father's unexpected reaction. It never occurred to her that her parents wouldn't immediately warm to her friends.

In the kitchen, a large pot of tea sat on the table. Asta, who was also dressed for work in her factory uniform, picked up six cups from the counter and placed them on the table.

"Boran, these are my parents. Asta and Pallin. Ita, Ima, this is Boran."

"It's so good to meet you," said Boran. He gave their hands a quick shake. "Tehvay… well, she deserves every happiness, and finding you… wow! Amazing! You should be proud of her. When I first met her, she was… well, you don't need me to tell you… anyway, she's… blossomed into a… a… I'm babbling. I'll shut up."

Tehvay introduced Tremothen and Marleen. They kept their greetings to a minimum.

"Tea?" asked Asta.

"That will be lovely," said Boran.

"Yes, thank you," said Marleen.

"That would be great," said Tremothen.

"Sit down," said Asta as she poured.

"Boran, Tehvay has told us so much about you," said Pallin. "Everything you did for her, taking her out of slavery, searching for her when she was recaptured, helping her escape with Kikola. We can't thank you enough."

"No need for thanks. Tehvay is like a daughter to me. I'd do anything for her." He took Tehvay's hand and gave it a squeeze.

"Don't take this the wrong way," Pallin briefly glanced at Asta. "What exactly are you doing here? I mean what are your intentions?"

"Ita!" Tehvay was surprised by the odd questions.

"Intentions? I'm not sure I understand."

"We've just found Tehvay," said Asta. "Now you've turned up. We're concerned that—"

"Oh, I see," said Boran. "You're worried that I've come to take Tehvay away. I assure you that's not the case."

Tehvay suddenly felt distanced from everyone. The conversation was about her, but she was not involved. It was like being a slave and hearing your owner discussing a price for you.

Her mother must have sensed Tehvay's discomfort and reached out to take her hand. It snapped Tehvay back to the moment.

"We're sorry," Pallin said to Boran. "But we had to ask."

"I understand," said Boran. "No offence taken. In fact, you asking that question allays any fears I may have had about you accepting Tehvay. I know all too well how hard it is to accept—to know how to relate to—a child you didn't raise from birth."

"Tehvay said you have a daughter of your own," replied Asta.

"Tana, yes. Her mother raised her on her own for seven years, then gave her to me."

"Why?"

Boran scrunched his face up in thought. "She didn't say. Sadly, we were not very communicative by that stage."

"And you had trouble accepting your daughter?"

Boran lowered his head. "Yes. My ex-wife could be difficult to get along with at times. She created a perfect replica of herself in Tana. I had trouble looking past that. In time, and with Marleen and Tremothen's help, Tana and I found a way to make this father-daughter thing work. She's twenty-four now and she's still with me. We… we… have an understanding."

"What sort of understanding?" Asta asked.

"I'm not sure," said Boran and chuckled. "But she came here to Trengos with me, so we must be doing it right. I like to think I did a better job with Tehvay." Boran looked at Tehvay, his brown eyes sparkled. "And she did a good job with me."

"We owe you all a debt of gratitude that I'm not sure we can ever adequately repay," Pallin said. "If it weren't for the three of you, Tehvay never would have escaped slavery, never would have made her way to Trengos, and never would have been known to us." His eyes began to fill with tears.

Tehvay leaned over and gave her father a hug, and then looked around the table at the people she loved all gathered together. It was an emotional moment for everyone. Tehvay could see Boran's lip quiver slightly. Marleen was wiping away a tear. Her mother searched her pocket for a tissue.

The only one not crying was Tremothen. "I know one way you can thank us," he said.

"Oh, and how's that?" Asta said, wiping her nose.

Tremothen smiled and pointed to the counter. "You could give me a slice of that cake!"

Marleen slapped her husband's arm while everybody shared a good laugh, even Marleen.

"And I have a business proposition for you," Boran said to Pallin. "That seidfalr you make. I think we can make a fortune out of it."

"Business talk can wait," said Asta, as she brought the cake over to the table and served everyone a slice.

When it was time to go there were hugs and handshakes all around as the group left the Veilans' house. Boran promised to speak to Pallin about the seidfalr, Asta had given Tremothen the remaining cake, and the recipe for it, and Marleen had one of Pallin's prize zinlantha flowers pinned to her coat.

As Tehvay waved goodbye to her parents, Trengos' twin suns were breaking through the cloud cover. The suns were noticeably closer to each other than when Tehvay had first arrived on the planet. She linked arms with Boran, closed her eyes and smiled as the suns' radiance kissed her face. Life is perfect.

~~~~

After Tehvay and the others had left, Kikola closed the front door and retreated into the kitchen. The food Tehvay had been cooking the previous night still sat on the hob in a covered pot. She wondered if she should dispose of it, since it had sat out all night, but decided to wait and ask Tehvay.

She made herself a cup of tea and sat down, noting the vase of flowers in the centre of the table. She was so pre-occupied last night that she hadn't taken time to stop and admire their beauty. She recognised that these were flowers Tehvay and her father had grown themselves, not some bouquet purchased at a market stall on the way home from work. A home-cooked meal and fresh-picked flowers, Kikola thought. How different their evening had turned out.

As she sipped her tea, she wondered how the life she and Tehvay had made for themselves here on Trengos would be affected with the arrival of her mother and Boran, and moreover, how the political upheaval in the Hegemony might cast a long shadow of uncertainty for all of them.

The house's sensors alerted Kikola to someone being at the front door. It was Trujilon.

"Come in," said Kikola. "Would you care for something to drink?"

"No, thank you. I've just had breakfast," replied Trujilon.

Kikola showed him to the living room. When he removed his jacket, she took note of how smart he looked in dark blue slacks with a crisp white shirt that contrasted his dark skin. He dressed to impress, she thought.

"Tehvay will be back shortly," said Kikola. "She just went around to her parents."

"So, who is it that Tehvay wants me to meet? She wasn't specific in her message."

"Friends of hers from Shibato. Boran Zerbilla and his associates Tremothen and Marleen Scows," replied Kikola.

Kikola wasn't one for small talk, but Tehvay had asked her to be nice. It wasn't that she disliked Trujilon, or his sister; she had nothing in common with them.

After a minute of awkward silence, Kikola spoke. "How are the plans for the trip to Inosa going?"

The question caught Trujilon by surprise. "Huh? Oh, okay. I'll be going on my own by the looks of it. Everyone else has commitments."

Kikola knew he meant Tehvay. "It's not that I don't want Tehvay to be involved, but…" Kikola trailed off. She didn't want to expose her insecurities.

"That's okay. Tehvay explained everything." His mouth turned up in a quick smile, that he held for slightly too long. "Um… I mean… you were concerned for her safety. Not that you'd be lonely if she… the weather looks like it might turn out nice today."

"Yes," Kikola agreed, relieved that he changed the subject. "Cold, but dry."

"Actually, it should be quite mild later," he replied.

"I grew up in a desert, so it'll be cold for me," said Kikola.

"Right." Trujilon licked his lips.

"Are you sure you wouldn't like a drink?"

"No, thanks."

Kikola tried to think of another topic of conversation. The silence drew out and she decided to let it continue. Mercifully, the others returned before the silence became painful.

Tehvay introduced Trujilon to the others, and soon they were all chatting like old friends. Kikola sank back in her chair and half listened and half wished she could slip away. That changed when Boran mentioned to Trujilon about the current situation in the Hegemony.

Being reminded that Ambra ap Lentol had declared herself Bren and assumed control of the Hegemony, Kikola's aloyd training kicked in and her mind had begun clamouring for more information to better assess the situation. Not that she planned to return to the Hegemony to take up arms against Ambra; however, she might be able to offer her brother Rephon some practical methods of defence, should it come to that.

Kikola waited for a pause in the conversation and then spoke. "Who has control of the military?" she asked.

"Lentol has most of it," said Boran. "Hila is her lap dog, or so it seems. From what information I could gather before leaving, Lentol had been moving aloyds loyal to her into strategic positions. Those likely to be opposed to her were allocated desk jobs or sent to distant outposts."

"What do you mean by most of it? Fifty-one percent? Sixty? Seventy-five? Ninety-nine?" Kikola pressed.

"I don't have the figures," Boran replied. "What does it matter anyway?"

"Significant resistance takes time to put down. The longer it takes, the weaker Ambra becomes. If her advantage is greater, then the resistance will be put down quickly, and she can turn her attention elsewhere." Kikola paused. "She might think she doesn't need a Rivelor to fulfil the plans to conquer the Graelands."

"If there's resistance within the Hegemony, the PPG would want to know," said Tehvay and looked at Trujilon for confirmation.

The young man nodded. "Anything we can use to defend ourselves against the Hegemony is a plus."

"I am not sure any resistance to Ambra will share the same ideals as the PPG," said Kikola.

"Why not?" asked Tehvay.

"Those opposed to Ambra will be the ones in favour of maintaining the status quo," Kikola explained.

"Maybe not," said Boran. "Yes, the Elit are at war with each other for control, but this could prompt open opposition among the rest of the population." He gave Kikola an embarrassed look. "There is almost universal hatred of Elits among the Quernal."

"I'm aware of certain factions that would love to see the Elit toppled," said Tremothen. He turned to Trujilon. "Perhaps your PPG can contact one of these groups, find out what's going on, and what they can do to help them rise up. How large is it?"

"How large is what?" asked Trujilon.

"The PPG."

"Oh, very big," said Tehvay. "Hundreds. Maybe a thousand."

"Tehvay," Kikola said softly. "They're not big enough."

Tehvay looked crushed.

"Maybe not," said Trujilon. "But it's a start."

"It's a start to suicide," said Kikola. "You can't hope to succeed."

Trujilon conceded with nod of his head.

"All revolutions start with one idea by one person," said Marleen. "Lentol did it, there's no reason we can't do the same."

"Ambra is Elit," said Kikola. She sounded more defensive than she meant to and the looks from the others told her they had noticed her tone. "What I meant is that she already had more power to begin with than we do. Now as Bren, she has even more power." Kikola rubbed her temples in thought. "It pains me to say it, but the best thing is for Ambra to take control without resistance."

"What?" All but Tehvay cried in disbelief.

"The Hegemony must appear strong to its rivals, otherwise they will attack. The Losper Empire, or The Andantian Republic, could seize the opportunity to regain systems they have lost, and more. That will only complicate matters. Right now, it is a conflict contained within the Elit and Fethusal castes. If a hostile power tries to take advantage and forces Ambra to fight a war on two or more fronts, the lower castes will be caught in the crossfire. Millions more people will suffer." Kikola considered what she was saying. "It is always better to face one enemy at a time."

"Surely we want Lentol to face opposition from all sides," said Tremothen.

"Yeah," agreed Trujilon. "We might be small, but our best chance of success is if she's distracted."

"Your best chance is still close to zero. You are an idealist with grand plans, but little experience of doing things on a planet-wide scale, let alone a Spur-wide scale."

The young man looked like he was about to protest, but knew Kikola's assessment, though cutting, was true. "Yeah, you're right," he muttered.

"There is one chance," said Kikola. "Ambra has made a fatal mistake in declaring herself Bren."

"What's that?" asked Boran.

"She made herself Bren," Kikola replied. "The beauty of the Elit ruling the Hegemony was that no one single person held all the power. Any insurgent had no single target to assassinate, so could not cut off the head of government."

"So, she's made herself a target," said Boran.

"Yes," agreed Kikola. "Though don't underestimate her. She is probably a well-defended target. If she thinks she has enemies, she'll remain a well-defended target. If she thinks she's won and any opposition negated, she might relax her guard. A single person could take her out."

"That sounds like a good plan to me," said Trujilon.

Tremothen and Marleen voiced their agreement.

"Um," Tehvay looked around the group. "This might seem like a silly question. But if this Ambra is killed, who'll take over?"

"That's the most sensible question I've heard today," said Kikola. She saw Tehvay blush with pride. She looked around the assembled group. "You can't go in unprepared. You can't start a conflict until you have the forces to achieve your goal. Most importantly, you can't start until you know how you want it to end."

Chapter 12

Author's Page

Back to the Academy