CHAPTER 3

 

It was midday, and the streets of downtown Dansek City were bustling with shoppers. Tehvay was still not used to such big crowds, but she wanted to face them alone, and Kikola did not try to persuade her otherwise. Despite the crowds, she felt safe. Most people ignored her, simply because they were preoccupied with their own thoughts and tasks. Those who made eye contact offered a quick smile before moving on.

She walked past a shop selling baked goods. The aromas wafting out from it caused her mouth to water and her stomach to crave some food. She was about to enter when a voice stopped her.

"I wouldn't eat anything from there."

Tehvay turned and saw Rikana Lardis. She smiled at the young woman, pleased to see a familiar face, but surprised because of the time of day. Rikana wasn't dressed in the dark-blue uniform of a Dansek Security Force officer on duty; instead, she was resplendently clothed in a long sleeveless jacket over a tight-fitting shirt that left her mid-riff exposed and a short, ruffled skirt. The whole ensemble was a pattern of swirls: red with black swirls, but the lower down the pattern went, the black became more dominant and it eventually became black with red swirls. Tehvay's own green and gold dress seemed tame by comparison.

"Hi, Rikana. I thought you'd be at work."

She had never really spent time alone with Rikana before, other than the odd few minutes at her parents' house. Tehvay had always found the security officer to be pleasant and respectful to her and her parents, though she could seem quite mean to Yuniph until you learnt that it was her way of trying to be funny. Kikola had confided to Tehvay that Rikana was difficult to work with, but actually good at the job, if a little offhand with some people. This was high praise coming from Kikola, who was not one for hyperbole.

"Not today," replied Rikana. "Day off."

"Oh. I thought Kikola said you and she—"

"Day off." Rikana repeated. "I've got a cold. Cough. See?"

Tehvay smiled. "I won't say anything."

"Thanks. But I don't care if you do. They won't fire me."

"Oh, okay," replied Tehvay. She raised her arm and gestured towards the shop. "So, why shouldn't I eat anything from here?"

"Smells nice, but that's all fake." Rikana pointed to a vent just inside the doorway. "The food is overpriced and awful. I'll show you the best place to eat. It's cheap and delicious."

"Thank you."

"Follow me, Miss V." Rikana headed off down the street.

Tehvay hurried a few steps to catch up. "Call me Tehvay."

Rikana glanced sideways at her. "Nah." After a few steps Rikana spoke again. "It's a sign of respect."

"You don't call Yuniph 'Miss'."

Rikana cackled. "That's because I respect you."

Tehvay wondered if that meant Rikana didn't respect Yuniph, but decided she wouldn't force the issue.

Rikana led Tehvay down a side street off the main thoroughfare. They walked past a long blank wall before they came to a set of double doors that were propped open.

"I've been here before," said Tehvay. "This is the market where Kikola and I first met you."

"That's right. This is the place where you'll find the best produce. Freshest meat, veg, and all."

"And fruit. You told me the fruit I picked wasn't good," said Tehvay. "If everything is the best here, how could that fruit be bad?"

Rikana cackled. "It was good enough to eat. But not perfect. Namida fruit is lovely, but it's out of this world when you get one that's just ripe. Let me show you."

Rikana angled towards the very fruit stall where they had first met. She nodded a greeting at the owner and quickly selected three specimens of the pale blue fruit. She paid for the fruit and brought them to Tehvay.

"Right, this one." She handed it to Tehvay. "Give it a gentle squeeze with your thumb and forefinger. Put your thumb there," she said, pointing to a spot near the stalk, "and your finger on the opposite side."

Tehvay positioned her thumb and finger as directed and gave a gentle squeeze.

"Do you feel it? When you release the pressure after squeezing?"

"I'm not sure."

"Try it on this one and see if you notice the difference." Rikana handed her another fruit.

Tehvay squeezed as before. "This one is firmer. It feels like it's pushing back when I squeeze."

"Exactly. The first one is too soft. It's good to eat for another couple of days, but that softness tells you it's overripe. Smell that one." Rikana pointed to the fruit in Tehvay's hand.

Tehvay felt a little self-conscious as she sniffed the fruit. "Smells okay to me."

"There's a certain layer to the smell that's hard to describe. Here smell this one." She handed Tehvay the first fruit again.

Tehvay detected a stronger odour, but was still unsure.

"Now this one." Rikana handed over the last namida.

"Yes!" exclaimed Tehvay as she brought the fruit to her nose. "This one doesn't have the… the…'oily' smell."

"That's it! If it's firm and has that 'oily' smell, then it's only got a short time before it goes overripe. If it's firm and doesn't have that smell, then it's perfect. And once you've eaten a perfect namida, then less than perfect is no good."

"Thank you for showing me that."

Rikana shrugged. "I showed your sister how to do it. Though whether she took notice of it, I've no idea. Anyway, let me show you the best place to eat!"

Rikana headed off down one of the aisles, ducked between two stalls and headed up a stairway to the upper level.

"Here." Rikana pointed at the stall.

There were three mismatched tables set out by the stall. There were ten mismatched chairs distributed unevenly between the tables. It didn't look very clean, but it was far from grimy. The large man in greasy overalls behind the counter waved a greeting at Rikana.

"Two screamers, Satto."

"Screamers?" queried Tehvay.

"Slabs of blended griscut meat and herbs. It screams as it's cooked."

"What kind of meat is 'griscut'? Tehvay asked.

"Don't ask," replied Rikana, and cackled.

"Anything to drink?" asked Satto.

"Dyodpeth for me. Miss V.?"

"Dyodpeth for me, too."

"Two dyodpeth, Satto. Thanks."

They sat down at a table with their cups of the steaming beverage and their food. The screamer was served between two slices of bread with fried chebol. Tehvay bit into it. It was hot and greasy, but as she chewed, her mouth filled with the rich flavour of the meat and herbs.

Rikana must have seen the enjoyment on Tehvay's face. "Told you it was delicious. Not very healthy though, but worth treating yourself now and again."

Tehvay mopped up some grease from her lips with a napkin and swallowed. "How can something this good exist?"

Rikana cackled and attacked her food.

Tehvay took the time to study her companion. The young woman was shorter than Tehvay, and curvier. Tehvay's body was lean and angular; Rikana was almost voluptuous. High cheekbones and round cheeks gave Rikana's face a child-like appearance. The most striking thing about her, Tehvay decided, was her eyes; dark-brown almost black irises stood out in stark contrast to the white orbs, and the black eye liner Rikana used accentuated the contrast even more.

"How are you settling in?" asked Rikana after a few bites.

"Good, thank you. It still feels a bit strange. Like this is some dream and I'm going to wake up."

"Welcome to life, Miss V." Rikana raised her cup and took a sip.

"You've known Yuniph a long time, haven't you?"

Rikana shot Tehvay a wary look. "About six or seven years. Why?"

"Just curious. So, before you joined the security force."

"Yeah, but it's a boring story. Let's talk about something else."

Tehvay regarded the young woman. She's not as tough as she pretends to be, Tehvay thought. She's putting up barriers to hide something. No. Not to hide something, to protect herself from getting hurt.

"I—"

"Rikana!" A man's voice interrupted.

Tehvay turned to look at him. He was a dark-skinned young man with soft features, short black hair, and dressed in trousers and a simple black jacket. Just behind him was a woman with similar features and long black hair. She wore trousers and modest light jersey.

"Tru, I didn't know you were back from university. Hi Ell," Rikana nodded a greeting at the woman.

"I graduated last week and…" the man paused as he caught sight of Tehvay. "Yuni?" He sounded unsure. "When did you get your hair cut? It looks great."

Tehvay ran a hand through her hair. It was starting to get a bit long.

"And the dress. It's stunning," said the woman.

Rikana started cackling.

"What's so funny?" asked the man.

"I'm not Yuniph," said Tehvay. "I'm Tehvay. Yuniph is my sister."

"Sister?" the woman questioned.

"Yuni doesn't have a sister," the man said with suspicion.

"You've been away too long," said Rikana. "Miss V. here turned up a few months ago." She invited them to sit down and join them. "I suppose I should introduce you," continued Rikana. "This is Trujilon and Ellovene Berneth. Ell and Yuniph went to school together."

"Ell's my big sister," said Trujilon. He shook his head. "The likeness is uncanny. You're almost identical. Apart from the hair."

"And the better fashion sense," muttered Rikana. "They're twins," she added at normal volume.

"Twins!" exclaimed Ellovene.

"Yes! Mr. and Mrs. V. had twins. Isn't that a kick? Yuniph's sister!" Rikana exclaimed.

"But…" Trujilon began. He paused when Satto brought the order for his sister and him.

"Refill?" Satto enquired of Rikana and Tehvay.

"No thanks," said Tehvay.

Rikana just shook her head as she took another bite of her food. "Screamer's great," she said with her mouth full.

"Why didn't Yuniph ever say anything?" Ellovene asked.

"Because she didn't know until a few months ago, when Tehvay showed up on Trengos."

Trujilon finished a bite of his screamer. "Showed up? Showed up from where?"

"Err… It's… complicated," said Rikana, her usual carefree attitude evaporated.

"I was a slave in the Hegemony."

"Okay, maybe not that complicated," said Rikana.

Tehvay could see shock, sympathy, and confusion on the faces of the newcomers.

"Is that true?" asked Ellovene. "You were taken from your parents."

"You were a slave since birth?" Trujilon interjected.

Tehvay didn't know which question to answer first. This wasn't a topic she really wanted to discuss with virtual strangers in a public place.

Rikana jumped in. "Yes, and yes."

"How were you able to escape?" Trujilon asked.

"Well, I…" Tehvay's discomfort was obvious. She felt relieved when Ellovene interrupted her.

"You're free now. I guess that's all that counts."

"Others aren't so lucky," said Trujilon sombrely.

Ellovene shot a look at her brother. "Sorry, Rikana."

"What do you mean?" Tehvay asked.

"Rikana's parents were killed in a raid several years ago," Ellovene offered.

"Oh, I didn't know. I'm sorry, Rikana."

Rikana shrugged. "Can't cry over dead parents."

From anyone else, the words would have shocked Tehvay, but she took this as part of Rikana's defence mechanism.

"A lot of planets in the Graelands get raided," Trujilon replied. "Trengos has been hit more often in recent times. We're seen as a soft target, because no one in power does anything. We want to change that. Ell and I are part of an organisation called the Planetary Protection Group. We're trying to raise support from the various governments to do something about it."

Tehvay was appalled by the revelation that slavers were attacking Trengos. She thought that she had escaped to a place of safety. "You mean they don't do anything about it?"

Rikana swore. Trujilon shook his head.

"But they have to!" Tehvay cried.

"That's what we want them to realise," said Trujilon. "And once we stop the raids, we want to try and hit the Heggers somehow."

"Let's not get carried away," cautioned Ellovene. "We have to walk before we can run."

"If you need me to punch some Hegger face," said Rikana. "Give me a call."

"I'd like to help too." Tehvay offered hesitantly. "If I can."

"I know where you can get some inside info on the Heggers." Rikana looked at Tehvay. "We'll finally see what side your girlfriend is on."

~~~~

Kikola didn't talk much to Yuniph on the drive home from work together. At the best of times, Kikola found it hard to have conversations with people, but with Yuniph it was even harder. The woman looked identical to Tehvay, but Kikola found it so hard to relate to her. They had the same full lips and blue eyes. With Tehvay, the eyes sparkled like the summer sky, but with Yuniph they were like a clear winter's sky. With Tehvay, the lips were inviting, sensual, but with Yuniph the lips rarely broke into a smile.

Kikola was grateful when the journey came to an end. She got out of the vehicle and followed Tehvay's sister into the Veilan's house.

Tehvay appeared from a door to Kikola's left. She looked excited about something. "Come in here." She grabbed Kikola's arm and pulled her into the living room. "You too, Yuni."

Rikana and two people Kikola had never seen before, a young man and woman who were seated on the sofa.

"Ell!" cried Yuniph. "You're back in town!" The two women embraced and Trujilon stepped up to greet Yuniph with a peck on the cheek.

"Good to see you, Tru." Yuniph gave him a friendly hug as well. "I see you have met Tehvay."

"Yes, we met Tehvay and Rikana at Satto's," Ellovene replied.

Kikola had been standing off to the side and patiently observing the reunion without drawing attention to herself as the only one in the room who was not acquainted.

Tehvay made the introductions. "This is Kikola." She then introduced the sister and brother to Kikola. "Ellovene and Trujilon are good friends of Yuniph."

"Nice to meet you," Kikola said politely.

"Nice to meet you as well," Ellovene replied. "Tehvay has told about so much about you."

Kikola looked at Tehvay.

"I told them that I was your slave, and you rescued me, and we escaped to Trengos."

Kikola didn't know how to reply to that.

There were a few moments of awkward silence, until Yuniph directed the conversation back to Ellovene and Trujilon. "What are you two up to?" Yuniph and the siblings sat down on the sofa.

"They've got plans to stop the slave raiders," announced Tehvay.

"And stop the Hegemony," Trujilon added.

What they said took Kikola aback. "That's ambitious," she said, but her observation was drowned out.

"What?" asked Yuniph incredulously.

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves," said Ellovene.

"Oh, Sis, we've got to think big if we're going to achieve anything," countered Trujilon. He looked at Kikola. "Tehvay told us you are… Elit."

Kikola thought he struggled to get the word out, and by the look on his face it was evident what he thought of her, or at least the Elit.

"I was Elit."

"That's good to hear," he replied.

"Tell Kikola and Yuniph about the group," said Tehvay. She perched on the arm of the chair Rikana was lounging on.

Kikola sat down on the one remaining armchair as Trujilon outlined details of the Planetary Protection Group. He explained that the PPG's mission was to raise support to combat the slave raiders hitting the planet and to punish the Hegemony for their role in it.

"So, what do you think?" asked Trujilon when he had finished.

"About what?" asked Kikola.

"Our ideas."

"You have no ideas. What's your strategy for engagement with the Hegemony?"

"Strategy for engagement? We hit them where it hurts."

"Where is that? How will you do that?" Kikola pressed. "What resources do you have to achieve this goal? Ships, soldiers, logistics, finances?"

The questioning annoyed Trujilon. "We don't have all that now. As I said, we need to raise awareness. Get the governments to agree with us."

"A waste of time," said Kikola. "You have no hope of stopping the Hegemony, not even with the help of all the districts on the planet."

"Kikola!" Tehvay interjected.

"We can try," countered Trujilon. "Make sure they know we won't just roll over without a fight."

"You will not win if you are prepared to sacrifice yourself in a futile gesture. If you engage the Hegemony in a military action, they would expend less effort than you would swatting a fly. They would not notice your act of defiance.

"You need large spaceships capable of delivering significant firepower. This planet is incapable of building one ship, let alone a fleet, within the next fifteen years even if you pool your resources. Your only hope is to buy second hand from one of the other major powers. As much as they might want to hurt the Hegemony, they won't give them away for nothing, and you do not have the ability to afford it. Even if you did, you need trained crews. Also, it is unlikely that any power would sell you ships with their current systems installed. You would have to develop your own or buy obsolete ones."

"I thought you said she could help," Trujilon said to Tehvay.

"What would you like me to say?" asked Kikola. "That you will win? You will not."

"What do you suggest we do then?" Trujilon challenged. "We have to try."

"No. You have to succeed. There is no trying if you want to win. What is it you want? Is it to live? Then run. Find another planet. Go to The Losper Empire, somewhere that can protect itself. Better still, go to the Hegemony, you will be safe there, they will not attack themselves.

"Do you want to hurt the Hegemony? Then guerrilla warfare is your answer. Hit them before they know who you are and where you are.

"Do you want to stop the Hegemony? Bring it to its knees? Then you need to unite all systems in the Graelands as well as The Losper Empire and other major powers."

"Way to piss on their parade," said Rikana. "Is that it? It can't be done, so don't bother."

"I did not say that. I am merely being realistic. You cannot talk about action against the Hegemony, no matter how noble the intentions, without the military hardware and strategies to wage a military campaign." 

Kikola was beginning to feel isolated in the discussion, but support came from an unexpected source.

"Kikola is right," said Yuniph. "A group of civilians, however well-intentioned, cannot fight the Hegemony. It would be suicide."

"We're not advocating that, Yuni," said Trujilon. He leaned forward to look around his sister between them. "We want the governments of the planet to do it."

"I just pointed out how improbable that is," said Kikola. "You need to adjust your goals."

"To what?" His head snapped around to look at Kikola.

"The only immediately achievable thing on your agenda is stopping the slave raiders," Kikola replied. "They are only in it for the money," Kikola explained. "If you make it difficult for them, they will not bother Trengos."

"True," said Ellovene. "So, what do you propose?"

The aloyd part of Kikola's brain kicked in. "Implement a planet-wide traffic control system. Any ship approaching and leaving requires clearance from control. If any ship deviates from their flight path, intercept it and arrest the occupants. If they resist, destroy the ship."

Kikola could see the scepticism of her proposal on the faces of Tehvay's new friends.

"We would need co-operation from the other districts for your plan to work," said Trujilon.

"Why?" asked Kikola. "This will be a benefit to them."

"They won't like us intercepting their traffic," replied Trujilon.

"When they realise their trade is not being restricted and slave raiders are being stopped, they will not complain."

"This isn't the Hegemony." The young man's voice rose as he tried to contain his anger. He looked around at the others as if looking for support. "You can't unilaterally decide to intercept traffic and tell those affected not to complain."

Kikola was a little surprised by the outburst. "That is not what I meant," she explained. "You are the ones who want to stop the slave raiders. I am only suggesting a method by which to do so."

"We have friends in other districts," said Ellovene, trying to placate the rising tension in the room. "They can take this to their governments to gain support."

Kikola observed the woman. She appeared to be less impulsive than her brother. She's a thinker, thought Kikola. That makes her more dangerous. She mentally shook her head. Why am I thinking like that? She realised she was thinking like a military officer. Everyone was either an asset or a threat, and she needed to know which one they were. Kikola turned her attention back to the problem.

"Then start here. Set it up for all ports in Dansek. Once the other districts see the success the system is having, they will want to cooperate."

"How do we set it up though?" asked Trujilon, his minor outburst of anger seemed to be over.

"You can get satellites for monitoring and communication fairly cheaply," said Kikola. "The major expense will be the intercept ships, but I am sure there are some local pilots who would like regular employment. There will be a need for a couple of security personnel on each ship of course, but it all seems achievable relatively quickly and economically."

"We should be able to do that," said Trujilon.

"You can't," said Yuniph. "It would be illegal to operate an intercept."

"Yuniph, how can you say that?" Tehvay looked at her sister with astonishment. "If it stops the slave raiders, I say the law can go hang."

"You don't understand, Tehvay. This is not how things are done in a free society," Yuniph said dismissively. "You should keep out of things until you learn."

Kikola wanted to leap to Tehvay's defence, but like everyone else in the room, she was stunned by Yuniph's rejection of Tehvay's participation in the discussion.

Rikana spoke up. "Veilan, you're being a feeta."

"Yeah, Yuni," said Trujilon. "That's not like you."

"I'm sorry," said Yuniph. She turned to her sister. "I'm really sorry, Tehvay. I didn't…"

"That's okay," said Tehvay. "But I can't learn unless I get involved."

"You're right," said Yuniph. "It's just that following the law is important. I don't want you to get into trouble." She looked around the room. "Any of you."

"We're already in trouble," said Ellovene softly. "We live on a planet that is getting raided more frequently. It may be happening in some outlying districts now, but how long before the raids come to Dansek? We've got to stand up and do something before it's too late."

Trujilon glanced at the chronometer on the wall. "Speaking of too late," he said, "We must be going." He climbed to his feet.

Ellovene stood up and joined her brother. They both thanked Kikola for her input and agreed they would give the matter some thought.

Trujilon then turned to Tehvay. "We'll see you at the meeting tomorrow."

"Meeting? What meeting?" asked Kikola.

"A meeting for the public to get to know the PPG," Tehvay replied. "I said I'd go."

Kikola didn't want to discourage Tehvay from getting involved in a cause, however misguided Kikola thought it was. "That is fine," said Kikola. No, it's not, she thought.

"And you, Rikana?" asked Trujilon.

"You bet!"

"Do you need a lift home?" he asked.

"No. I'll invite myself to dinner here. Mr and Mrs V. won't mind." Rikana looked at Yuniph. "That is if I can get a lift home afterwards."

"Sure," said Yuniph. "Anyway, I thought you were supposed to be ill."

"I got better," said Rikana.

As the young woman spoke, Kikola noticed Rikana winked at Tehvay. What's that about?

Trujilon and Ellovene said their goodbyes and left. A few moments later Rikana and Yuniph left the room, leaving Kikola alone with Tehvay.

"Why did Rikana wink at you?"

"What?" The question caught Tehvay off guard.

"Rikana winked at you."

"Oh, that! Nothing. Just a joke."

"A joke is not nothing."

"Are you jealous?" asked Tehvay.

No… maybe, thought Kikola. You are developing a life that's independent of me. You might wake up one day and find you don't need me. That scares me. She smiled at Tehvay. "I am not jealous, just curious."

"I ran into Rikana when I was out shopping. We had lunch, and that's when we met Trujilon and Ellovene."

"They seem like nice people." Kikola didn't know what else to say.

"I can meet you at work tomorrow," said Tehvay. "We can eat out and then go to the meeting."

"I don't think I should go. I would not be welcome."

"Nonsense."

"You saw how Trujilon reacted to me. It will take time for me to be accepted."

"Yes," agreed Tehvay. "And the sooner you start, the sooner you'll be accepted."

"Maybe another time. You can go."

"I don't want to go alone," said Tehvay.

"You won't be alone. Rikana will be there."

"I mean, I want you there with me."

"It would be difficult for me to sit there while someone opposed to my people makes a speech inciting hatred and violence towards them, especially to a crowd that is sympathetic to their cause."

"It won't be like that. You can say something to show that not all people in the Hegemony are bad."

Kikola shook her head. "Not this time."

~~~~

Yuniph pulled her vehicle to the side of the road and stared straight ahead. After a few seconds, she turned her head to look at her passenger. Rikana stared back.

"Aren't you getting out?" asked Yuniph.

"I'm disappointed in you, Veilan," said Rikana. "I never thought I'd say that. Annoyed by you, yes. But never disappointed."

"If we tackle the slave raiders, it must be with the backing of a recognised authority. I cannot condone a… a vigilante approach."

Rikana sighed.

"I'm serious, Rikana. I—"

"You of all people should know this is important. What if the Heggers invade? Are you going to sit back and let them, because you don't have a rule book telling you that you can fight back?"

Damnit, Rikana! Yuniph bit down on the response. "That's different."

"It's the same!"

"No. We have laws that the slave raiders are breaking. We have rules and regulations already in place to deal with them."

"It pains me to say it, but Karthen had a good idea. If it makes it easier for you, take it to Commander Simeal and get it authorised."

"It's not that easy. He'd need to find a budget and probably extra officers."

"But if it were official policy, you'd go along with it?"

"Yes."

"Why are you being so 'by the book'? You've gone against policy before."

"What?" Yuniph shot an angry glance at Rikana. What is she talking about?

"Picking up strays off the street and taking them home is not in the rule book," Rikana clarified.

"That's…" What is it? she thought. Charity? Human decency? "You weren't breaking any laws. I couldn't arrest you."

"You could've left me," said Rikana. "You could've taken me to a hostel. Why do something about me then, and not do something about the slave raiders now? It's not like you to not care about something."

"There are a lot of things for me to care about at the moment. A lot of things I don't want to care about, but I can't avoid them." Yuniph paused and lowered her gaze. "How do you do it?"

"Do what?"

Yuniph looked up at Rikana. "The not caring thing."

Rikana shrugged. "Don't know. Guess it comes naturally." The young woman looked out of the window. "Is this where I should be caring that you want to not care about something?" She gave a hollow chuckle and looked back at Yuniph.

Yuniph offered a smile. "No," she replied.

"Good," said Rikana with relief. The relief faded and a more serious look replaced it. "But if you… I mean everything with… family… If you want to talk."

Yuniph could see the offer terrified Rikana. Sympathy and empathy were not usually her strong suit.

Rikana flashed her patented wicked grin. "Not saying I'll listen or anything."

Yuniph looked down at her driver's controls debating whether to open up to Rikana. What would Rikana think of me if I did? I'm not the do-gooder she complains about me being.

"Go on, out with it," Rikana urged.

Yuniph didn't make eye contact. "What can I tell you?" That I resent Tehvay usurping my position in my parents' affections? That I wish she'd never turned up, or she'd just go away so everything can go back to normal?

"Look…" Rikana said.

Yuniph raised her head and looked at Rikana.

"Family can be a pain," Rikana observed. "But… but… I'm not good at this feelings shit. You know that. Give it time, and you and Miss V. will be annoying the fuck out each other, and you'll feel better about being pissed off about her."

"What?"

"I can read you like a book, Veilan. You do the right thing even if you don't like it. You gave me a home and regretted it every minute I was there. It was only the fact that you knew I wanted to get out as soon as possible that you allowed me to stay."

"You're—"

"It's not that you hate Miss V., it's that you don't know her. She doesn't conform to your nice set of rules of how things should be, and if you let that be known, you fear you'll be hated."

Did I say that stuff out loud, or is she psychic?

"Did that make you feel better?" Rikana asked.

"Err… no."

"Good. Now you know why I don't care. Caring is difficult and it hurts."

"I don't feel better, but it helped, thank you."

"You're not going to give me hug or anything?" Rikana's face screwed up in disgust.

"Don't worry, you're safe. You're also a lot smarter and better with the 'feelings shit' than you give yourself credit for."

"Seriously though, it's okay if you don't like your sister. I mean, there'll be some people queuing up to punch you, and I'd be in that queue just because I'd get to hit you, but it's not against the law to not like someone."

"I don't hate her. I can't hate her. It's as you said. She's upset the status quo. I'll just have to get used to it."

"But don't feel you have to. Get used to it, I mean," Rikana replied. "If she's annoys you or upsets you, tell her. Lay down some boundaries or something. It doesn't have to stop you being friends. Look at us."

"True." Yuniph nodded. "Wait! We're friends now?"

Rikana blushed for the first time that Yuniph could recall. "You've only just figured that out? You're so dense, Veilan." Rikana cackled. "But if you tell anyone, I'll have to kill you."

Yuniph reached out and grabbed Rikana. "Give us a hug, you dumbom."

Rikana let out a cry. "Hey! We're not at the hugging stage yet!" She scrambled out of the vehicle then ducked her head back in the open door, a wide grin on her face. "And don't even think that we're ever getting to the sharing of clothes stage. I wouldn't be caught dead in your stuff. Your sister on the other hand has much—"

"—better fashion sense," Yuniph finished. Another reason not to like her.

~~~~

The last few months had been troubling for Mariantha ap Karthen. Shockwaves had rippled through the Elit, caused by her own daughter's actions. She thought the worst of it was over, but like a tsunami, the first wave was not necessarily the biggest.

Even though he was dressed for work in his immaculately tailored black trousers and dark-grey blazer, her brother-in-law, Toman, looked haggard. He slumped into the chair in her office and shook his head.

"I am worried," he said.

"What about?" asked Mariantha from behind the sleek, blackwood desk that dominated her judge's chambers.

"Ambra ap Lentol. At the first Council meeting regarding Kikola shooting Supreme-Aloyd Taliss, she was adamant that it was a military matter, and the Council should allow her to deal with it."

His eyes looked left and right as he spoke. Mariantha didn't know if he was deliberately avoiding her gaze as he recalled her daughter's indiscretion, or whether he thought he could find the answers to his troubles in the corner of her office.

"I remember you saying at the time," Mariantha replied.

He nodded. "You know Ambra voted for Kikola to be executed."

Mariantha did not know that and was initially shocked, but she thought of the young girl she remembered Ambra to be. There was always something I didn't like about her, she thought. Any of the Lentols to be honest. They were always Strambik's friends.

After her husband's death, Mariantha saw them less and less, but the Lentols wouldn't let an association with a founding family go easily.

"At the second vote," continued Toman, "she wanted some sanction against us and the Taliss. The Council, however, deemed it a family matter since no laws were broken."

Mariantha moved to a side table and poured a drink. She handed it to her brother-in-law.

"Thanks," he said, and took long sip. "Ambra's like an Ybrikkian hanging onto an intruder. She got support from a fair few families for the views she expressed at the meetings, and she doesn't want to let go of that attention."

"What is she doing now?"

"She's being vocal about Kikola's… 'affliction' is how she puts it. She's hinting that it might spread a bit further in the family."

"The little bitch!"

"Quite. In other matters, the Kendai representative raised a question about a warship without an aloyd assigned to it on unregistered manoeuvres. Ambra claimed that it was on flight trials, testing newly installed systems."

"Is it?" asked Mariantha.

"As far as anyone can tell. However, Lothila ap Taliss approached me. She has learnt that several warships are patrolling areas not mentioned in the Military Ops briefs to the Council."

"A Taliss told you this? Can you trust her?"

Toman finally fixed his gaze on Mariantha. "Yes. Kikola may have killed Supreme-Aloyd Taliss and threatened Jenissa ap Taliss before absconding with that slave, but the Talisses, like the Karthens, have the good of the Hegemony and the Elit at heart."

"I have been thinking about Jenissa," said Mariantha as she moved behind her desk and sat down next to her brother-in-law. "About her statement that Kikola threatened her."

"What about it?"

"First she said the slave had been put down. Why lie about that?"

"Kikola threatened her to keep quiet," replied Toman.

"That's just it, though. Jenissa knew Kikola was gone, had left Alopan. There was nothing stopping her from coming clean straight away. She would have been protected against any retribution that Kikola might take. There was nothing to fear."

"What are you suggesting?"

"That if Jenissa lied once, she lied twice. The first time about the slave being put down, and the second time about Kikola threatening her."

"For what reason?" asked Toman.

Mariantha thought for a moment. "I do not know, but I intend to find out."

"How—" a comm beep cut Toman off. "I have to go. My shuttle is ready to take me to The Civic." he said. "I will see you tonight."

Mariantha nodded. "Safe flight."

After Toman had left, Mariantha had a slave come and clean up. As she watched the slave pick up the empty glass, the judge's thoughts turned to the slave that was at the centre of all the trouble, and what part the Taliss girl, Jenissa, might have played in Kikola's escape.

The only way to get an answer is to ask a question, she thought.

It took nearly forty seconds before the image of Jenissa ap Taliss appeared. The young woman looked radiant, golden curls tumbling over her shoulders, the flush of youth on her cheeks.

"Jenissa, I am Mari—"

"I know who you are," Jenissa stated coldly. "I have nothing to say to you. Do not contact me again."

The connection was terminated.

Mariantha bristled at being dismissed by little more than a girl. That is not someone who can be threatened to lie about a slave. There's only one thing to do.

A few moments later, another face appeared. "Prepare a ship," Mariantha said. "I wish to travel to Yun'thul immediately."

~~~~

Boran hated rain. That was one of the reasons he set up his home on this part of Shibato. Out of three hundred and seventy-five days in the Shibatoan year, rain could be expected, on average, on only six of them. This was one such day.

He stared out of the rain-streaked windows at the dark clouds that were not dispersing, and in fact, only seemed to be getting worse. These were not the only dark clouds gathering. Even out on the fringes of the Hegemony rumours had reached him: unusual military manoeuvres; increased military presence on some core planets; and Council meetings being subject to blackout.

Not that the Council released details of their meetings to the general public, but councillors had Fethusal who worked as secretaries and took minutes. These minutes would get filed and somewhere credits would be transferred, and these files would be transferred in the opposite direction. Boran knew people, who knew people, who knew people that got these files.

As he was watching the clouds, there was a huge crash of thunder, and the clouds seemed to explode downwards. Out of the clouds, a shuttlecraft appeared and headed straight for his estate.

He quickly grabbed a weapon out of a drawer and ran outside. Tremothen appeared next to him, and they watched the shuttle circle briefly before setting down.

"That's a military shuttle," said Tremothen.

"I know, but what do they want?"

He recognised the dark-grey of an aloyd's uniform as soon as the hatch opened, but it took him longer to recognise the aloyd herself.

He signalled his guards, who were now rushing to the scene, to stay back and lower their weapons.

"Let us get out of the rain," the aloyd said and walked past him.

"Hila?" Boran turned to Tremothen. "Stay here." He hurried after his uninvited guest. "Hila? What is this?" Hila pushed open the door of Boran's study. He followed her and closed the door after him. "Hila—"

She stood with her back to him. Without turning around, she spoke. "Gral'hilanth. My name is Gral'hilanth Lintana ap Falentha. Hila Llyte is dead. She never existed."

"What's going on?" Boran moved to stand in front of her. "I always suspected you had ties to the Elit. Those moments when you were relaxed, you'd let your accent slip – just the odd word here and there. But an aloyd? I never suspected that. Is that why you hated Karthen so much? Is that why you attacked her?"

"She said she would not say anything," Gral'hilanth muttered. "I should have known better than to trust her word."

"She didn't say anything, but it didn't take a genius to work it out. You didn't like her. She is mysteriously attacked. You disappear."

Hila didn't reply.

"Where's Kami?" asked Boran. "What does she think of your new job?"

"Kami… is de—" She cleared her throat. "Dead."

"I'm so sorry," said Boran. He moved towards his old friend. "How did she die?"

"That is not important."

"Not important?" He reached out to place a hand on her shoulder. "Hila, she—"

"I don't want to talk about it!" she cut him off forcefully, but then her demeanour softened. "It's too painful still."

"Okay." He put his hand down. "Whenever you're ready."

He was trying to process it all, but none of it made sense. The face was still Hila, though she had acquired some scars since he'd last seen her, but everything else was a stranger: the blonde hair, the uniform, and the stance.

"So, why are you here?" he asked.

"I am here for Karthen. Where is she?"

"I don't know," he replied.

"Do not lie."

"I'm not lying."

Boran could tell that this version of Hila was losing her patience. Something flashed in the bright blue eyes of the woman before him, something that Boran had never seen there before – pure anger.

"Where are they? You were helping them escape. You must know where they are." She took a step closer to him.

"I told you, I don't know."

"I have a warship under my command," she said. "One word from me, and I could have this entire estate obliterated off the map."

"Karthen tried that threat," he countered.

"Unlike her, I am telling the truth."

Boran believed her. "You'd be dead before you could push the comm button." He powered up his IPB and positioned his index finger in the trigger.

The aloyd eased her posture and shook her head. "Just tell me, Boran."

Even my name on her lips is different.

"I told you, I don't know where they are. All I did was provide Karthen and Tehvay with new identities and enough money to buy a ship. Where they got a ship, what sort of ship, and where they went… you know how I operate."

She walked around Boran and over to the window behind his desk. She allowed her left hand to trail across its red onyx surface as she went past. "What are their new identities? You must know that."

He moved to the glass wall on the left, sat down in a chair, and casually held his weapon in his lap – just in case. "I do, but I'm not going to tell you."

She turned from the window and took a step towards him. "You do not owe Karthen anything, so you do not have to protect her."

"No, but I want to protect Tehvay. It's a package deal."

"Boran, please. For old times' sake. I don't want to harm Tehvay. I just want Karthen."

"Orion's Balls! You say 'Old times' sake'. The Hila I knew, the friend I knew, she's gone. So, don't talk about 'Old times' sake'!"

There was a brief flicker on her face that might have been his friend, but it was gone as soon as it appeared. "Well this is the real me. Get used to it."

"There's nothing for you here. Just go."

"Despite everything, I still like you, Boran. So, for old times' sake, I will go. I will leave you with a word of warning though. Others may come looking for Karthen, and they will not be as nice as me. I suggest you leave. Go into hiding. Get yourself a new identity."

He digested her words. He believed them, but something stopped him from admitting it to her. Instead, he averted his gaze.

"Think about your safety," she continued. "If I cannot deliver Karthen to the Council, they will ask me what I know, and I will be obliged to give them your name."

~~~~

Ambra watched the lights of Ralkatar spread out far below her window. She loved this view from the top floor of the tallest building in Kalenth's capital city. It felt right that she should be looking down on everyone.

"Sarray, drink."

"Yes, Mistress."

She saw the faint reflection of the dark-haired slave appear behind her own reflection in the window. She liked this slave. It was well trained. It knew what drink she required without being told.

The councillor held out a hand, and the slave placed the glass into it. She watched the slave's reflection melt away as it resumed its position against the wall. The black liquid slipped down her throat like treacle. Its smoky flavour lingered on her tongue like a lover's kiss.

A beep from her desk attracted her attention. It was late, but reports were coming in all the time. The beep signalled one that she wanted to see; the others could wait.

She sat down at the console and selected the message. All ships sent an automated report detailing its movements on a daily basis. This one was from the Relentless. Ambra had hopes for Aloyd Falentha, but suspected the aloyd would need firm guidance at first to know her position. The message confirmed it.

She keyed for an encrypted channel and waited for an answer. The 3D image of the aloyd's face was a far cry from the vibrant, black-haired woman Ambra had first met. Now the aloyd was blonde, her hair tightly pulled back. The face looked pale and the eyes dark rimmed. Scars marked the forehead and cheek around the right eye.

"Councillor Lentol. I was not expecting another call from you today."

"I was not expecting to make one."

"Is there a problem?" asked the aloyd.

"Yes. You disobeyed an order."

Ambra could see Falentha's mind racing whether to either deny or justify the transgression.

"I have been patrolling the borders, as ordered."

Bad girl, thought Ambra. Someone will suffer for that.

"Those orders also stipulated that you refrain from contact with anyone but me."

Falentha's eyes dipped.

"You left the ship and went to the surface of Shibato," Ambra continued. "To whom did you speak?"

"I went to see someone about some unfinished business."

"Zerbilla lives on Shibato. Was it him?"

"Yes, Councillor."

"Did he provide you with information about Karthen?"

"No."

"Let me get this straight. You disobeyed an order. You contacted an old associate from your previous life, putting my plans in jeopardy, and it was for nothing." A punishment is due.

"I am sorry, Councillor."

"Bring the Relentless to Kalenth."

"Councillor, I—"

"I am ordering you back to Kalenth. Can you follow that order?"

The image of Falentha straightened up and looked forward. "Yes, Councillor."

"Good. I need to go somewhere. See if you can regain my trust by being my ride." Ambra allowed herself to smile.

"Yes, Councillor. I will set course immediately."

"I will look forward to seeing you." Ambra terminated the call.

Her supressed anger started to bubble to the surface. She pushed it down. Bad people need to be punished.

"Sarray, bed."

"Yes, Mistress."

Ambra pushed her chair back and headed to the bedroom. She heard the soft padded footsteps of Sarray hurrying to catch up. She stopped by her bed and allowed the slave to remove her jacket. Ambra knelt on the floor and bent over the bed.

"Number four."

"Yes, Mistress."

She heard Sarray slowly getting undressed. Then Ambra felt her skirt being pushed up and her panties removed. She felt shame and disgust at being exposed and knowing what was coming next – knowing that she would enjoy it and hate herself for enjoying it.

The naked slave came into view on the other side of the bed, opened a drawer, and removed a strap-on sex toy. Ambra watched the slave attach it and walk around behind her.

The cold hard tip brushed past her labia and sank deep. Sarray's hands settled on Ambra's hips, and the slave started thrusting in and out. Sarray was well trained; it knew not to stop until ordered to do so. The thrusts were coming harder and faster, over and over. Ambra grimaced in disgust as she felt her body respond to the stimulation. I am glad it has stamina thought Ambra. Bad people need punishment.

Chapter 4

Author's Page

Back to the Academy