CHAPTER 10

 

The command headquarters for Kikola's resistance force, the Arai Soon Dukwelud, was little more than a repurposed utility room near the hangar in the Willenth tullcooth. Half of the members of her inner circle were present for a strategy meeting: Aloyd Willenth, Commander Breena Eadmon, Tremothen and Marleen. The other four were elsewhere: Captain Wurth, Kikola's newly appointed adjutant, was on his way back from the Fearless; her mother, Mariantha, was helping with the adjustment of the freed slaves; Tehvay was contacting Boran to organise transport of supplies; and Rikana was training with Lieutenant Gailt and his team of marines.  

Aloyd Willenth operated a small display console in front of him and a large holographic map appeared in front of the main wall of the windowless room. Kikola was contemplating potential military targets for their next attack. She stood up to point to an area on the map when Captain Wurth entered the conference room carrying electronic papers in his hand.

The captain saluted and handed the papers to the Rivelor. "Here is the latest sit-rep from the Valiant, sir."

Hand delivering communications was slow, but Kikola felt it necessary to protect the location of their base as much as possible. The Fearless had left the system to receive the transmission from Aloyd Monatt, the mission commander. Even a transmission from the Fearless in orbit was a risk that Kikola did not want to take, so on its return, the electronic paper copies would be shuttled down. Likewise, anything going the other way would be a reverse of the process.

"Thank you, Captain." Kikola gestured for Wurth to take a seat at the table. After handing a copy to Aloyd Willenth, Kikola read the report.

"Well?" Tremothen prompted.

The report was about the latest encounter with Ambra's forces. This time, Kikola had selected a supply depot in the Pravic system. It should have been an easy target; however, there were two unscheduled patrol ships in the area. Both ships were destroyed as was the original target, but it had been a very narrow victory – too close a call for Kikola to risk another.

"It looks as though Lentol has finally changed her fleet deployment," Aloyd Willenth concluded, after he read the same report.

Kikola addressed the husband and wife team sitting together on the opposite side of the table. "The action was a success. Just." She pushed the report across the table to them.

Kikola's overall strategy was to give Lentol the impression the forces of the ASD were greater in number than they actually were. She did this by selecting targets that were not clustered, but spread across Hegemony. Also, the missions thus far had been against targets she knew they could capture or destroy with minimum risk.

The number of ASD ships she had started with had expanded from twenty-six to forty-two, with more joining every day. However, they were still greatly outnumbered, so Kikola could not afford to lose even one ship. "What we need to know now is the new fleet deployment."

Kikola waited until the Scows had finished reading the report and then said, "Boran gave me the name of someone on Kalenth who might be able to help in that regard – a man named Jora Selzabega."

Marleen returned the report back to Kikola. "We know him," said Marleen. "Boran uses him to get information when no one else can."

"Boran suggested I have you contact him."

"He's expensive," Tremothen replied.

"If he can obtain the information we need, then we will pay whatever he asks," Kikola said.

Commander Breena Eadmon spoke up from the other end of the conference table. "Is he trustworthy?"

"That depends on your point of view," replied Tremothen, turning his chair sideways slightly so he could include the commander in the conversation. "Whether you're paying him to steal information for you or someone is paying him to steal information from you."

"Boran trusts him to get the information, otherwise he wouldn't have recommended him," said Marleen. "As to the other parameters of the deal…" She left the sentence hanging.

"Then that is good enough for me," Kikola replied.

Eadmon seemed unimpressed. "There is another option, Rivelor. My sister, Garin, has expressed some disillusionment with her… situation." She leaned on the table and looked at Kikola. "I can reach out to her and see if she can get us the new fleet deployment."

"Or get us close to Lentol," said Aloyd Willenth.

Commander Eadmon glanced at the aloyd before turning her attention back to the Rivelor. "Let me talk to her. She knows I am loyal to Aloyd Willenth, and therefore to you. Let me see if she will help."

"It's too much of a risk to contact anyone that close to Lentol," said Captain Wurth. "No offence, Commander," he added. "But it's not whether you trust your sister; it's whether Lentol trusts your sister. If she were to arouse Lentol's suspicion in any way, it would be bad for us – and her."

"True," said Kikola, "However, losses are to be expected in any conflict. A chance to reach out to someone, who is close to the heart of Lentol's operation, is too great an opportunity to pass up."

"We need to make sure we protect this base," the captain pressed.

"I will take a ship and leave the system before making contact," offered Eadmon. "If my communication is traced, it won't lead them to this base."

"What if you're captured?" the captain asked.

"Then I will die before betraying the cause."

"There's no need for that," said Aloyd Willenth. "We can't afford to lose you."

Everyone looked to Kikola for her decision. She gave it some thought. We need to be audacious if we are to succeed. "We will do both," she said. "Tremothen and Marleen, you contact Selzabega and see if he can get us the new fleet deployments and any other information that may help us. Pay his price."

"Word of warning," said Tremothen. "People like Selzabega agree to a price and then demand more before handing the information over."

"You can go as high as an extra twenty-five percent," Kikola replied. "If he doesn't accept that, tell him we know where he lives. That will hopefully ensure his cooperation."

"Sounds like you've been taking advice from Rikana," said Marleen.

"She knows how to deal with people better than I do," Kikola said with a smile. She turned to Eadmon. "I will authorise you to contact your sister via secure personal communications, so you won't need to leave the base. Talk to me before agreeing to any course of action."

"Yes, Rivelor. You could be there when I contact her if you like."

"Very well, I will." She glanced at the chronometer in her jacket sleeve. "Say, 10:30 hours. Is that all right?"

Eadmon nodded.

"In the meantime, I think our forces will be safer in numbers." Kikola turned to Aloyd Willenth, her newly appointed ASD Fleet Commander. "Have all ships in the Core sector rendezvous at star system H21772 except the Fearless, keep that here. Have the Striker Groups Archer, Dauntless, and Valiant rendezvous at system H51216 in the Theelin sector. They can be used for protection of any supply ships coming from the Graelands. Right now, Tehvay is contacting Boran to see if there is a shipment ready. Striker Groups Ranger, Sabre, and Vigilant..." Kikola consulted the star map. "Have them rendezvous at H31872. All other ships rendezvous at H61749 and await further orders."

"Yes, Rivelor."

"That is all. We will meet again tomorrow."

The officers rose to their feet as one and all snapped to attention to acknowledge their commander-in-chief's dismissal. As the others started to leave, Kikola's adjutant hung back.

"Captain, I will be returning to my quarters for a few hours rest. Call me if there is anything to report."

"Yes, Rivelor," Wurth replied.

Kikola left the hangar bay area and headed towards the residential billets. She navigated the corridors towards her suite with thoughts of returning to Tehvay's arms, if only for a few precious hours. When she arrived, Kikola spotted Tehvay curled up on the sofa, apparently asleep.

Let her rest, Kikola thought. She quietly made her way to the bedroom to change into something more comfortable. She pulled her boots off and set them in their place on the floor of the wardrobe. She had been taught from the first day at the Academy to hang up her uniform in a precise manner. It was drilled into her, and to this day, Kikola didn't stray from military standards on how her clothing was to be put away.

As she took off her jacket and hung it in the wardrobe, an odd thought struck her. There was a time when she never wanted to take her uniform off – it was like a second skin. It defined who she was. Now, as comfortable as it felt wearing the uniform again, she could not wait to come home and remove it. When she was alone with Tehvay, she was not an aloyd, or a Rivelor, or Elit, she was just Kikola.

"Kikola." Tehvay's weary voice called out.

"Stay there, rest, I won't be long. I am just getting changed."

"Kikola!"

There was a more insistent tone to Tehvay's voice. Kikola quickly selected a pullover and leggings. "Just a minute."

"I need to speak to you, now."

Kikola wasted little time donning her clothes. When she entered the living room, Tehvay had climbed off the sofa and was standing in the middle of the room; her face was pale, her eyes red.

Knowing Tehvay had just called Boran, Kikola's mind whirled with dire possibilities. Did something happen to Boran? To her parents? "Tehvay what is it, what's wrong?"

Tehvay swallowed hard. "Trujilon is… he's d—" Tehvay's voice caught in her throat and her lip quivered.

Kikola didn't need to hear the word Tehvay couldn't say. It was clear that Tehvay's friend Trujilon had died somehow. Kikola's immediate reaction was relief that it wasn't Boran or the Veilans. Kikola didn't know the young man well, and she had never really connected with Trujilon the same way Tehvay had. Still, she knew he was someone important to Tehvay, so the news of his death was a shock.

"How did it happen?" she asked.

"Slavers attacked a village on Inosa, Tru was there for…" Tehvay couldn't finish. Overcome with grief, she buried her head in Kikola's shoulder.

Kikola knew the reason why Trujilon was there. It was not lost on her that Tehvay was originally supposed to go with him to represent the PPG on his mission to Inosa. Kikola dismissed the unthinkable possibility of what might have happened had Tehvay gone with him. She was grateful she had managed to persuade Tehvay not to go, even if it meant they had their first fight over it.

Kikola drew Tehvay to her for a hug. "I am so sorry," Kikola whispered.

Tehvay suddenly took a step back from Kikola's embrace. "Ell must be devastated. I wish I could talk to her."

"Would you like to go back to Trengos?"

"Without you?" Tehvay asked. "No."

"It might be for the best."

"Whose best? Yours?" Tehvay took a few steps back; her brows narrowed into a frown.

"What? No!" Kikola replied. She and Tehvay still had misunderstandings, but at least they had learned their lesson after their first fight, when Kikola ended up staying at Rikana's house overnight: they no longer walked away from each other. Kikola stepped towards Tehvay and explained in a soft, reassuring tone. "I did not mean… I want you with me. It was merely a suggestion. If you did want to return to Trengos for Trujilon's remembrance and you wanted me to go back with you, I would."

"Sorry." Tehvay's posture relaxed and she returned to Kikola's embrace. "I don't want to go back, with or without you, not until we have defeated Lentol. I just want to offer my condolences to Ell – to support her as she supported me after Yuniph."

Kikola nodded. "I will arrange for you to contact Ellovene." Kikola moved to a side table where a communications unit was located and made the arrangements with Captain Wurth to have a secure channel patched through to her quarters again. When she was done, she said, "It will take about thirty minutes to get it set up."

"Thank you," Tehvay replied. "Now I'm not sure I would know what to say."

"It's never easy. I am sure Ellovene would understand if all you could say was 'sorry'."

Kikola guided Tehvay back to the sofa and they sat down together, with Tehvay leaning into Kikola for comfort. Kikola frowned as she felt something lumpy underneath her. She lifted up a leg and pulled out an old stuffed toy. "What's this?"

"Oh, that's…" Tehvay took the toy from Kikola and held it in her lap. "It was Yuniph's. I brought it to remind me of her. I just like to hold it when I'm alone. It's silly of me, I know."

"No. No, it is not." Kikola reached out to touch one of the well-worn wings.

After a moment or two, Tehvay looked up at Kikola. "Did you have a stuffed toy when you were a child?"

"When I was very young. I think it was a feline. I know it had a tail. However, I was made to grow out of such things early." Kikola stared off into the distance. "At the time I didn't mind, but now looking back…" She shook her head. "Sorry, I shouldn't go on. This is the time to remember your friend."

"I only knew Trujilon for a few short months, but it feels like I had known him forever. He became a good friend so quickly."

"You seem to have a skill for making friends. It is a skill I lack."

"You have Rikana."

Kikola offered a wry smile. "That wasn't intention—"

"Rikana!" Tehvay interrupted, bolting upright. "Trujilon was her friend too. She doesn't know." Tehvay's expression was one of wide-eyed dread. "How can I tell her?"

Kikola replied, "I will tell her, if you like."

"No, I will do it. I owe that much to Rikana… and Trujilon… and Yuniph."

~~~~

Rikana was mildly annoyed when Tehvay showed up at her door insisting that the two of them go for a walk. Not that she really minded being Tehvay's bodyguard, but Rikana had hoped she'd have time for a shower and to relax after the training session. The blonde-haired woman was persistent, and seemingly concerned about something.

Have she and Kiks being arguing again? Rikana thought. Nah, it would be Kiks at my door, not Miss V.

Tehvay led Rikana to an area in the tullcooth that simulated a park. The grass underfoot was synthetic, the rocky streambed was synthetic, and the artificial sun was synthetic. Only the water that trickled along the artificial streambed was real, though it wasn't fresh: it came from the hydroponic units and passed through filters before flowing through the artificial streambed. From there it flowed into a cistern where it joined the wastewater produced by the tullcooth's inhabitants. It was then purified and recycled, supplying potable water throughout the tullcooth – not a drop wasted. Tehvay knelt down and allowed the water to flow through her fingers.

Rikana sensed Tehvay was stalling for time, and she was getting impatient. "You know, Miss V., as much as I like watching you get your fingers wet, I… wait, that came out wrong. I meant, you didn't ask me out to watch you… Is there a reason you wanted to see me, other than my obvious charming personality?"

Tehvay stood up and dried her fingers on her skirt. "I brought you here because it reminds me a little of Trengos. I hoped it would remind you too."

"That arse-end of nowhere?" Rikana chuckled, but noticed that Tehvay didn't crack a smile; rather, she looked a little down. Rikana had a sneaking suspicion she was going to regret asking what was wrong. "You didn't bring me here to go skinny-dipping. What is this really all about?

"I don't know how to say this, but to just come out with it. I got word from Boran that Trujilon is dead. He was killed on Inosa."

Rikana's chest heaved to catch her breath, as though she had been kicked in the gut. It took her a few moments to process what she was being told and when she did, Rikana handled it the way she always did – by burying her feelings.

"He was more Yuniph's friend than mine, but we got on okay," she explained. "We… once, maybe twice." She glanced to see if Tehvay seemed shocked, but the blonde woman's face remained inscrutable. Rikana didn't elaborate further. It somehow seemed inappropriate to go on about how she was his first, and second, and how naïve and nervous he had been. It had been her gift to him for his twenty-first birthday. She wanted to laugh at the memory of it, but didn't. Instead, she picked a synthetic pebble out of the stream. "How?"

"Slave raiders," said Tehvay sombrely.

Rikana listened as Tehvay relayed what Boran had told her about the slave raid. The mere mention of the scum-sucking lowlifes made Rikana's blood boil – that they killed a friend of hers made Rikana feel impotent and angry. She threw the small stone into the stream as if aiming for someone's head. Why Trujilon? The question repeated itself, echoing around her mind, drowning out any potential answer.

Seeing an artificial shrub a few paces away, Rikana walked over and kicked it. When it bounced back, she got angry and started stamping on it. When that didn't quell her rage, she ripped up the shrub and tore it to shreds.When she felt a hand on her arm, Rikana's defensive instincts kicked in and she turned quickly, ready to neutralise the threat. Rikana stopped when she saw the horrified look on Tehvay's face.

Her anger spent, Rikana collapsed down on the artificial grass. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

Tehvay sat down next to her. "That's okay. You're upset."

Rikana uttered a hollow laugh. "You noticed that, huh!"

"There were a few subtle clues," said Tehvay, and gave Rikana a gentle nudge with her elbow. "Kikola is arranging for me to talk to Ellovene to offer my condolences, and to talk to my parents. Would you like to talk to them as well?"

Rikana pulled at the artificial grass between her legs as she thought about it. Part of her wanted to hear a familiar voice – the Veilans were the closest thing she had to parents after her own parents were killed. However, Rikana didn't do the mushy stuff. Caring about someone just brought her pain – her parents, Yuniph, and now Trujilon. "Nah, I'd rather get drunk."

"Getting drunk won't help."

"It's a start."

"Tru will still be gone when you sober up."

"You almost sounded like Yuniph saying that." Rikana studied the woman sitting next to her. She looks like the friend I miss - apart from the hair and fashion sense - but there's so much more going on behind her eyes. So much more history than the glimpse I've had. "How do you cope? Everything you've been through. You should be a million times angrier than me. Yet, you sit there and…" Rikana didn't know where to go with her thoughts and looked away.

"I'm not always like this," Tehvay replied. "But my slave training made sure that I didn't express emotions, at least not publicly."

"You and Kiks are alike in that regard." Rikana sighed. "I used to think my childhood sucked. That made me rebellious. Then it was taken away from me. That made me angry." She looked at Tehvay. "You know my parents were killed by slave raiders?"

Tehvay nodded.

"Then I met your family," Rikana continued. "They were content. Loving. They tried to give me a home and structure, and that made me bitter. Not towards them, but because my family could have been like that if I'd have let them." Rikana wiped away a tear. "My childhood sucked, because I made it that way. I stopped living with your family because they deserved better than me. I felt I would destroy what they had if I stuck around. And then there's you." Rikana stood up and walked a few paces away. "Your childhood really sucked. You survived it and came out the other side a better person than me. And that made me appreciate what I had, and lost, even more. Just by being you, and just by being there, you made me a better person, whether you know it or not."

Rikana bent down and picked up the battered, fake shrub. "Then there's Tru. He could be a little annoying at times. Too upbeat, too earnest, too everything. But he was a good person. And now he's dead. Like Yuniph. Like my parents. That's why I'm going to be such a disagreeable feeta, I might get to live longer." She tossed the shrub into the stream. "So, if I ever annoy you, don't take it personally. It's just me coping the way I cope. Surviving the way I survive. Come on." She extended her arm to Tehvay. "I'll take you back, then I'm going to get drunk and think about trying to cope tomorrow. You can give me shit about it if you want. I deserve it. But right now, it's the only thing I want to do."

Tehvay took Rikana's outstretched hand and stood up. She hooked her arm around Rikana's, and they started walking.

"It's strange," said Rikana after they had gone a hundred metres. "I had more in common with Yuniph than you, yet you're easier to talk to."

"What do we have in common?" asked Tehvay.

Rikana gave a half-hearted cackle. "We've both seen your girlfriend naked."

~~~~

Kikola woke up from a half-meditation, half-nap when a chronometer alerted her to the time – 10:15. She had hoped Tehvay would be back before she had to leave, but she was alone. Commander Eadmon was expecting her at 10:30, so Kikola shook off the residual affects of the meditative state and climbed back into her uniform.

Precisely on time Kikola knocked on the door to Eadmon's suite. Eadmon let her in and sat down at a side table. Kikola watched Commander Eadmon tap her personal communicator. There was a long delay as the audio only call was routed via a secure relay before the connection was made. There was a further delay before the call was answered.

After an exchange of pleasantries with her sister, Commander Eadmon broached the reason for the call.

"Gar, I should tell you that Kikola ap Karthen is with me. She has been designated as Rivelor and is leading the campaign against Lentol."

"Yes, I have heard the reports about Karthen. Are you looking for me to betray Lentol? Assassinate her? What?"

"We want you to do whatever you can," said the commander to her sister. "Whatever you feel you can do without jeopardising your safety."

"Are you sure that's what Karthen wants, Bree? I would think she would want me to conduct a suicide mission."

Kikola held her hand out for the communicator. The commander handed it over.

"Captain Eadmon. This is—"

"It's Commodore Eadmon, actually."

"Apologies, Commodore Eadmon. This is Rivelor Karthen. We need your help to bring down Lentol. Are you willing to give it?" There was silence from the other end. "Commodore?"

"I joined the military to serve the Hegemony. I always dreamed of being a war hero, but assassinating Lentol would not be an act of war, at least not on my part. I will not do it."

As an aloyd, Kikola expected those under her command to obey orders. This situation was different. While both of them were wearing the uniform of The Kalenth Hegemony, Commodore Eadmon was effectively her enemy. She felt that she couldn't assert her authority and demand obedience.

"I respect your decision," she said. "Know that when we do come for her, we will knock down those in our way."

"You misunderstand Rivelor," Garin finished. "I said I would not assassinate her, but I will help you bring her down."

"How? What can you do for us?"

"I am not the only one who is dissatisfied with her leadership," said Eadmon. "There may be a way to get you and your forces close to Lentol. I will contact you when there is a plan."

"Thank you, Commodore," said Kikola. "I will hand you back to your sister." Kikola gave the communicator back and left the sisters to say goodbye to each other.

She headed back to her quarters to check on Tehvay. She found her sitting on the sofa with Rikana. Tehvay was doing her best to hide her emotions after the earlier news of Trujilon's death. Kikola could tell Rikana had been affected by the news as well.

"I'll leave you," said Rikana.

"You don't have to go," said Kikola.

"Nah, I'm going to get drunk. It's best I do it alone. Call me tomorrow, not before." Rikana got up and left.

"How did she take the news?" asked Kikola.

"She took the news… like Rikana," said Tehvay.

Kikola felt a need to go after Rikana. And what? She asked herself. I wouldn't know what to say, and she'll get all the bottled comfort she needs.

Kikola joined Tehvay on the sofa.

"What would you like to do for the rest of the day?"

"I—"

Tehvay was interrupted by the door chime.

"Enter," said Kikola, and stood up.

Marleen entered. She smiled a greeting at Tehvay.

"Come in, sit down," said Tehvay. She shuffled over on the sofa and patted the seat next to her. "Would you like a drink?"

"No thanks." Marleen sat down and looked at Tehvay. "Are you okay? You seem a little down."

"I'll tell you later." Tehvay glanced at Kikola.

Kikola recognised that Tehvay didn't want to tell another person of Trujilon's death at that moment. She decided to turn the conversation to the purpose of Marleen's visit. "Did you speak to Selzabega?" Kikola asked, and sat down in a nearby chair.

"Yes," said Marleen. "He has agreed to try and obtain the deployment for us. He wanted two hundred thousand credits. We agreed to his terms."

"That is fine," Kikola replied. "What's next?"

"We're to give him a call in twenty-five hours, and he'll let us know if he's got it."

Kikola nodded. "If Selzabega has got it, I'd like you and Tremothen to collect it. Take Ilistan's ship. Insist that Selzabega comes alone, and he comes himself. No intermediaries. If he doesn't agree to that, we pull out of the deal."

"He has half the money."

"I don't care. Your safety is more important. If he turns up with someone, or you detect he is followed, leave immediately. I will send two marines with you and a combat craft to shadow you. You won't be out there unprotected."

Marleen almost blushed. "Thanks. But didn't you say in the meeting that casualties are expected?"

"Military casualties perhaps, not yours."

"Do those military casualties include you?" asked Tehvay with a look of concern.

Kikola knew she could not lie – death was always a possibility in the military – but she could offer Tehvay a hopeful answer. "Not if I can help it," she replied. "That would be failure, and I don't intend to fail at this."

~~~~

The décor hadn't changed. It was still too ostentatious for decent taste, Gral'hilanth observed, more befitting a brothel than an office. The welcome she received was different than the last time; it was a little more respectful. The man and woman Selzabega employed as lackeys avoided eye contact with her as they ushered her in. Selzabega himself still had his smarmy demeanour and sickly smile, but overall, it was a big change from the last time she had graced this room as Hila Llyte.

Jora Selzabega was seated behind an ornate antique writing desk. To Gral'hilanth's eyes, it looked like genuine wood. I wonder whose cock he had to suck to pay for it? His thin frame was almost dwarfed in the large gilded leather chair. The pale grey colour of his suit matched his pale grey complexion. He stood out in stark contrast to the rich, dark colours in the rest of the room.

He turned his insincere smile up a notch and invited her to sit, which she did.

"Drink?" He gestured towards a decanted beverage and two glasses on a tray.

The aloyd shook her head and adjusted her uniform jacket to avoid rumpling it. "You said it was urgent, so what did you want to see me about?" She had received his invitation two hours ago and went to considerable trouble to re-arrange her schedule so her absence would not be noticed.

"I had a conversation with some people you know." Selzabega poured himself a drink and took a sip. "Friends of Boran Zerbilla. Tremothen and Marleen Scows."

Gral'hilanth almost asked how they were, but knew it wouldn't have been a social call. "What did they want?"

"Information, of course." He slowly pulled a data chip from his pocket and placed it on the table between them. "It's blank," he said. "When you return it, I want it to contain the latest fleet deployment." His smile seemed to do the impossible and got bigger. "Well, more to the point, your friends want the latest fleet deployment."

"Why?"

"I don't ask why." He pushed the data chip closer to Gral'hilanth with one finger and then placed a money chip on the table. "I only ask how much they are going to pay. Here's your cut."

Gral'hilanth stared at the table. "Why don't you get the information yourself?"

He gave her a curious look. "I am. I'm getting it from you."

"Why should I do it? I don't need the money."

"No, but you need some things kept secret."

Gral'hilanth felt a rush of anxiety at the thought of all the things she wanted kept secret. Rather than confront him and tip her hand, she fought the panic and appeared calm. "So do you," she replied knowingly.

"Then we both benefit," he countered. "What's the problem?"

"If I get caught taking the information, it's my neck on the line."

"And mine." He gave a little chuckle. "You think I trust you not to give my name if you are caught?" He waved a hand around the room. "You even know where I live." He leaned forward in his seat. "I have access to information I shouldn't have access to, but there is some information I don't – the updated fleet deployment being one of them. However, I do have access to you, and you have access to the deployment. If you don't get it for me, then I can't give it to your friends. Will they come after me if I can't give them what they want?"

Gral'hilanth shook her head. "No, they won't."

"What about the people who asked them to ask me?"

"Boran? No."

"No. Not Boran. He didn't ask them. Someone else did."

"Who?" asked Gral'hilanth.

Selzabega sighed. "Who would benefit from having the deployment? Who at this moment is in conflict with our dear Bren?"

Gral'hilanth sat straight up. "Karthen!"

"Yes. Now if she should win and I didn't help her, then that could be bad for me," Selzabega replied. "If she should win and I did help her, that's good."

"And if she doesn't win?"

He shrugged. "I still get paid."

"And if I refuse?"

"As I said, there are secrets."

Gral'hilanth leaned back in the chair again. "The Bren already knows a lot about me."

"Yes, she does." Selzabega flashed a knowing smile. "But I didn't tell her everything. Like what happened on Dailan, for example."

"You wouldn't…"

"Me, no. However, someone else who had that information… well. Our dear Bren is corrupt, but even she has lines she won't cross."

She unhurriedly freed her IPB from its holster. "I could just kill you."

"You could," Selzabega replied.

Gral'hilanth sensed Selzabega's lackeys become alert. From the corner of her eye, she saw the male move to her left and heard the female cross behind her to her right. Her IPB wouldn't power up fast enough. She could take one out, but not both. Her threat was an empty one. He knew it and she knew it. I used to be better at playing the game, she thought, now I'm everyone's whore.

Gral'hilanth snatched up the chips from the table. They felt like a heavy weight in her hand, almost as heavy as her IPB. She put the money chip in her pocket and stared at the data chip. It looked the same as the last data chip she had taken from Selzabega so many months ago, one that contained information about Tehvay, and brought up the name that she had hoped to forget – Kikola ap Karthen. The irony was not lost on her that she was now being asked to provide top-secret information that would benefit Karthen. Karthen – always Karthen. Will I never be free of her?

Gral'hilanth left Selzabega and returned to the Relentless, where she sought out her only ally, Commodore Eadmon. It was in the Commodore's quarters that Gral'hilanth opened up about her meeting with Selzabega.

"Karthen wants the new fleet deployment."

"Karthen contacted you?" Commodore Garin Eadmon asked, barely masking the surprise in her voice and on her face.

"Not directly," Gral'hilanth replied. "People working on Karthen's behalf have contacted a man named Jora Selzabega. He asked me."

"Right, it's um, just that I did speak to Karthen directly," Garin admitted.

"Okay, that's… unexpected."

"She was with my sister."

"What did they say?"

Eadmon lowered her voice to a whisper. "That they want my help in defeating Lentol."

"What did you say?" asked Gral'hilanth with more than a passing interest.

"I told them I would get back to them when there was a plan, and I think you may just have provided us with one."

Gral'hilanth wasn't following. "How?"

"Giving Karthen the fleet deployments could end this conflict sooner," Garin explained.

"Not soon enough." Gral'hilanth stood up and started pacing. She pulled the blank data chip from her pocket and waved it about as she spoke. "I can easily put the deployment on here and hand it over. However, if Karthen uses the intel on this chip, Ambra will suspect the new deployment has been leaked. She will change it again and the war goes on, only now she'll know someone on her staff has betrayed her." Gral'hilanth heard Ambra's voice in her mind say Bad people must be punished. It made her shudder to think. "There would be severe repercussions."

"We both agree that Ambra has to be stopped, right?" Garin asked.

"Well, yes…"

"Then this is our chance!"

Gral'hilanth weighed her options: continue to be Ambra's slave or help her adversary, Kikola ap Karthen, defeat Ambra. When it came down to it, there was only one choice. "Okay, I'm in."

"Great, so what's the plan?" asked Eadmon.

"I don't know." Gral'hilanth stopped pacing and turned to face the commodore. "I was hoping you might have some ideas."

Commodore Eadmon looked towards the floor. She was silent for a long time, and then an idea came to her. "We go to the Bren and tell her. We say that Karthen wants the information. We tell her that this is an excellent opportunity to pass misinformation to Karthen. We give the false information to this Selzabega character."

Gral'hilanth's mind raced with all the possibilities of success and failure; her emotions bounced between hope and despair. The stakes could not be higher. "Ambra wouldn't go for that. She would want to know why he came to me."

"Why did he come to you?" asked Eadmon.

"I had previous dealings with him."

"Then tell Lentol that," Eadmon said enthusiastically. "Tell her Karthen approached Selzabega. He came to you because he wants to do the right thing by Lentol. That allays any suspicion."

"She won't let it lie like that." Gral'hilanth sat back down. "She will have Selzabega arrested and that will be an end to it."

Commodore Eadmon thought for a moment. "We suggest that Selzabega be followed to Karthen's contacts instead, and that we do the following." She jumped up as she developed her plan further. "Stress that the two of us in an unmarked ship will be better than following him in the Relentless." She fixed her eyes on Gral'hilanth. "We take the real deployment and then we defect."

"Defect? To Karthen's side?"

"Where else?"

"Anywhere else would be better. We have got a whole galaxy to choose from."

"I promised my sister I would find a way to leave and join her. This is it," said Eadmon. "Come with me. We can try and right some of the wrongs we have done."

Gral'hilanth pondered the option. Karthen had ruined her life; she had almost given up hope of revenge until it landed in her lap. She had botched that first opportunity. Now there is a chance to get close to Karthen again.

~~~~

Ambra said goodbye to the holographic projection of her sons by planting kisses on the images. When their images faded, she moved to a long settee facing the expansive windows that offered her a stunning view of Kalenth's capital city below. Ambra's attention was drawn towards the blue-clad slave standing against the wall. She had to think for a moment to remember its name.

"Lyra, drink."

The slave stepped forward. "Mistress?"

Ambra sighed. It was times like these that she regretted putting down Sarray, her previous slave.

"It's 18:00. If I call for a drink between 18:00 and 21:00, I want…" Ambra let her sentence hang.

"Wine, Mistress. I'm very sorry, Mistress." Lyra hurried away to fetch the drink.

When the slave returned, it placed a glass of red wine in front of Ambra, who lifted the glass and swirled the contents to release the wine's flavour. "I will punish you later."

"Thank you, Mistress," Lyra replied and returned to standing against the wall.

Ambra took a sip of her wine. She closed her eyes and savoured the slight burn on the back of her throat. As her mind entertained thoughts of punishing the slave, her hand wandered down between her legs to find her most sensitive spot. She glanced over to Lyra and gestured with one nod of her head.

Lyra hurriedly moved and took over the work Ambra's fingers had been doing, allowing her to lean back and relax. No time was wasted on gentle coaxing or foreplay. Ambra put the wine glass down and spread her legs wider – a signal to remove her underpants. The slave's fingers found their way between Ambra's moist folds and entered her. It was a little rough, but Ambra enjoyed the discomfort.

"Harder. Faster," she said as she raised her hips to allow deeper penetration.

Ambra could feel herself getting close to release and reached out to grab the slave when the door chime sounded. In frustration, Ambra kicked the slave away. She had forgotten Aloyd Falentha and Commodore Eadmon had requested a meeting.

"Wash your hand and answer the door," she commanded as she pulled up her underpants and straightened her garments.

"Yes, Mistress."

Ambra sat upright and took another sip of wine. The fire in her throat matched the fire between her legs, and she cursed the interruption under her breath.

The aloyd and commodore followed Lyra into the living room and saluted the Bren. Ambra waved her hand dismissively at two easy chairs opposite the settee.

Ambra waited for her two flagship commanders to be seated. "What was the urgent matter you wanted to discuss?" she asked.

"We think we have an opportunity to strike against Karthen," said Aloyd Falentha.

"Then do it. You don't need to come to me to ask permission."

"I think we do in this situation." Falentha took a breath. "We have the opportunity to pass false intelligence to Karthen, and possibly find her."

The revelation piqued Ambra's curiosity and her suspicion. "Explain."

"Karthen has approached someone who approached me. Someone I had dealings with in my… other life. He felt he should inform me of the contact."

"Who is this person?"

"Jora Selzabega."

Ambra knew the name. It was not a name one admitted to knowing, but he was useful in obtaining information that she could leverage to her advantage. She had also used him in the past to find discreet women for sex. That was before Falentha.

She leaned forward to put the empty wine glass down on the occasional table between them. "And what exactly did he say?"

"He said that agents working for Karthen had approached him to get the latest fleet deployment. He immediately reported it to me."

"And you immediately reported it to me."

"No, Bren. Commodore Eadmon and I worked on a plan before coming here."

No? thought Ambra. That will earn you punishment. "What is this plan?"

Commodore Eadmon cleared her throat. "We give this Selzabega a false deployment. One that, if Karthen acts on it, will lure her into a trap."

"Why not just follow Selzabega and see where he goes?" asked Ambra.

"That is the second part of the plan. He won't be meeting Karthen and certainly won't be going to wherever she is based," Eadmon replied. "A small transport ship following Selzabega will be hard to detect. I suggest Aloyd Falentha and myself could do that."

"Why you two?"

"To minimise the risk of our plan getting back to the rebels," the commodore replied. "We would see who Selzabega hands the information to and follow them. Hopefully we can find out where Karthen is. It is a long shot, we know. They could transmit the information to Karthen and go elsewhere. But I think it's worth doing."

"We have to take every chance to end Karthen's threat," said the aloyd. "By approaching Selzabega, Karthen has shown she's desperate. This might be my—I mean, our opportunity to capture her."

"I see – your chance for revenge?" Ambra raised a querying eyebrow. "If you do capture Karthen, I want her alive," said Ambra. "I have…" Ambra glanced at Commodore Eadmon and realised she should careful what she says. "Plans."

"Do we have your permission, Bren?" asked Falentha.

"Yes. When can you be ready?"

"We have done preliminary investigations into what's needed for the false deployment, but haven't produced it yet. It'll take a few hours."

"Commodore Eadmon, can you handle that?"

"Yes, Bren."

"Good. You carry on with that. Aloyd Falentha and I have a few things to discuss before she leaves." Ambra rose to her feet, which prompted the other two to stand as well.

Commodore Eadmon saluted.

"Dismissed."

When the commodore was gone, Ambra turned to Falentha. "Do you realise you said no to me? What do you suggest I do about that?"

Falentha's face lost its colour and she lowered her eyes. "I deserve punishment."

"When you arrived, Lyra was busy fingering me. Why don't you finish what she started? Then I will administer an appropriate punishment."

Ambra smiled as the resigned look came over Falentha's face.

"Yes, Bren. I only obey."

 

Chapter 11

Author's Page

Back to the Academy