CHAPTER 11

 

Mariantha watched from the control room as a small transport ship manoeuvred through the hangar bay doors and landed. After the air was released back into the hangar, the warning lights stopped flashing, and the ship's ramp was lowered. Its occupants appeared. They were easily distinguishable from each other by their hair. Tremothen Scows was burly with a shock of red hair the colour of a ripe cherry. His wife, Marleen was a good head shorter than him, with hair that to Mariantha looked like a bad wig. The third, Ilistan, was somewhere between them in height, with long, stringy black hair that fell about his face and looked as if it was in need of a wash.

Unlikely heroes, Mariantha found herself thinking.

Tehvay, who was standing to the left of Mariantha, nudged Rikana. "Let's go," she said excitedly and hurried out of the control room with Rikana in tow.

Aloyd Willenth shrugged and gestured for Mariantha to precede him.

By the time Mariantha and the aloyd had caught up with them, Tehvay was busy embracing her friends. Ilistan stood a few paces behind them looking warily at Rikana, who was shooting him harsh looks.

Tremothen offered Mariantha a slight smile and a nod by way of greeting.

"Was the mission a success?" asked Aloyd Willenth.

"Yeah, we got the chip," said Marleen. "Has Kikola returned yet?"

"No, she is still on her mission with Commander Eadmon," said Mariantha.

"Any idea when she'll be back?" queried Tremothen.

"No," replied Tehvay.

Even in that one word response, Mariantha could hear how much the former slave missed her daughter.

"Who gets this then?" Tremothen asked, as he opened up his hand and revealed the data chip.

"That will be me." The aloyd held out his hand.

The burly red-haired man placed it in the outstretched palm.

Willenth nodded his thanks. "Were you followed at any point?" he asked.

"No. Selzabega was alone," Tremothen replied. "No other ships in detectable range. Nothing followed us."

"No one follows me unless I want them to!" Ilistan piped up. He grinned and waved his arms. "Also, there's no tracking on the chip, I made sure of that." He grinned again and looked around the small group as if seeking approval.

"Yeah, what he said," Tremothen said to Aloyd Willenth.

Aloyd Willenth nodded. "Good job. Thank you."

"Just doing our bit," said Tremothen.

"You must be tired from your trip," Mariantha said solicitously.

"Not at all," Marleen replied. "Are you busy?" she asked Tehvay.

Tehvay looked to Mariantha. "I know we have that meeting about a training curriculum for the ex-slaves."

Mariantha could tell that Tehvay and the Scows were anxious to spend time together. "That is all right. We can reschedule."

Tehvay smiled. "My thanks." She looped an arm through Marleen and Tremothen's arms and started leading them away. Tehvay called to Rikana, "Are you coming?"

"Nah, I've got someone… um… stuff to do," said Rikana.

"Oh, okay. Go ahead. I'm in good hands," Tehvay replied.

"Catch up with you later," the young woman said as she waved to the departing group and hurried off in the opposite direction.

Mariantha, being a keen observer from her years as a judge, had noticed the subtle signs of an attraction between Rikana and Captain Wurth. While she didn't think it proper for Kikola's adjutant and Tehvay's bodyguard to be pursuing a physical relationship while on duty, the judge concluded that since her daughter was on a mission and Tehvay was with the Scows, there was no harm in two consenting adults enjoying each other's company.

It made Mariantha nostalgic for when she and her husband were young and in love. It has been a long time since I had enjoyed the company of a man, thought Mariantha. None, since Strambik died. She hadn't thought about sex all that much in the years following her husband's death. She had her career and her family to raise. Maybe when this is all over, I can think about enjoying a man's company once again.

"Ahem," Aloyd Willenth cleared his throat to get Mariantha's attention. "I will go and check this out," said the aloyd waving the chip. "I will see you later."

"Yes. If you hear from Kikola, please let me know."

"Will do," he replied and left.

Mariantha found herself standing alone in the hangar bay – though not really alone. Ilistan was still standing nearby looking awkward and a little lost. She had completely forgotten about him – everyone had.

Mariantha withheld judgement on the man's character, because he had been the one who transported her to the Willenth tullcooth after she had left Trengos. In some ways, she felt sorry for him. Nobody seemed to like Ilistan, and he tried his best to not show that it mattered to him, yet he also seemed to try his best to make people not like him. As much as she didn't relish interacting with the loquacious Quernal, Mariantha did not want to appear impolite. "On behalf of my daughter, I thank you," she said to him.

For a moment the immature façade Ilistan projected fell. "I do what I do. It's nice to know it's for a good cause."

Mariantha was pleased to see the man's real personality come through. "Your effort is most appreciated."

His sincerity didn't last long. "Hey! Do I get a medal?" He waved his arms and grinned.

The gesture was all the rage among Quernal teenagers of twenty years ago. Some, like Ilistan, still clung to their lost youth and its fashions.

Mariantha recognised Ilistan behaved that way, because that was what he had learned during his formative years as a way to fit in. It reminded her of Kikola's social awkwardness growing up. Her daughter was always painfully shy and was more at home with technical manuals than at family parties. That was until Tehvay came into Kikola's life. At first, it was very difficult for Mariantha to accept her daughter's relationship with Tehvay. It was easier for Mariantha to blame Tehvay as a corrupting influence on her impressionable daughter, than to accept that Kikola was flawed.

Over the past several weeks, she had observed Kikola and Tehvay interact. There was a gentleness about her daughter now, a sense of fairness when dealing with the lower castes, and a willingness to be counselled by others. None of these traits were taught at the military academy or could be attributed to her Elit upbringing. It could only be because of Tehvay.

Mariantha looked at Ilistan – observed his affectations, listened to his Quernal dialect, his unkempt manner – and wondered if she would ever be able to let go of Elit ideas of morality and behaviour to embrace the new society Kikola and Tehvay were promising to bring about. The jury was still out, but Mariantha decided she could start by showing Ilistan some charity.

"We seem to be without plans. Care to join me for a cup of dyodpeth?"

Ilistan looked surprised and slightly embarrassed. "Too kind, but no. I should go to my quarters and unpack," he said.

Mariantha was secretly relieved. "I will make sure my daughter hears of your excellent piloting skills. Enjoy your evening."

~~~~

Gral'hilanth stared at the glass of durmywid cradled in her hands. She and Commodore Eadmon had taken a non-descript transport ship under the pretence of following Selzabega, as they had told the Bren. Once out of range of Kalenth's traffic control, they broke off their pursuit of Selzabega and changed course to rendezvous with Eadmon's sister. From there, they would be taken to Karthen.

Even at light speed, it would be four hours before they reached the rendezvous point, which left Gral'hilanth plenty of time to imagine how her next encounter with Karthen might go.  She had spent the better part of a year blaming everything that had gone wrong in her life on Karthen: her years of exile, Kamina's death, Ambra's abuse. All fuelled Gral'hilanth's unquenchable lust for revenge. Even killing Tehvay hadn't sated her need to inflict as much pain on Karthen as she had endured. And yet, here I am, on my way to meet my nemesis to offer my services to bring down Ambra. Desperate times make for desperate actions, she thought.

After having used the facilities, the commodore settled into the pilot seat next to Gral'hilanth. "You look deep in thought," Garin observed. "Is everything all right?"

Gral'hilanth shrugged and downed her drink. She noticed her travelling companion seemed less anxious about the trip on which they were embarked. She's going to meet her sister, whereas I am going to… "What's your sister like?"

"Smarter than me," said Garin with a wry smile. "She's a lot younger than me and my brother. She used that to her advantage growing up."

"How so?"

"To compete with us, she had to learn quickly. She was clever and knew it, but she was never big headed about it." Garin checked a readout. "What about you? Any brothers or sisters?"

"No." Gral'hilanth stared into her empty glass and resisted the urge to go and refill it. "I had been estranged from my family a long time. We aren't very close, even now." Admitting that out loud filled her with regret for her part in it.

They lapsed into silence, both staring out the cockpit window at the blue fuzzy blob of stars ahead. It was a familiar sight to Gral'hilanth. She had spent years rushing between stars. She recalled being fascinated by it the first time she had seen it, but now it was so familiar, she wouldn't mind if she never saw it again.

"Have you ever thought about a family of your own?" asked Gral'hilanth.

"What? Uh, no." Garin creased her forehead in thought. "Maybe once or twice when I was younger." She concentrated her gaze on Gral'hilanth. "But my career came first. Though my parents managed a successful military career and raised a family, I've always felt I had to choose one or the other, not both." She smiled. "Besides, settling down with one man is not for me. I like variety."

"I used to feel that way once," said Gral'hilanth. "It changes when you fall in love."

"Who was he?"

Gral'hilanth looked across the gap between the seats at Garin. "She."

"Oh. Who was she?"

"Kamina."

"What happened?" Garin suddenly looked away. "If you want to talk about it, that is."

"I fucked it up. Like everything else in my life." Gral'hilanth could say no more.

"Well, at least you're doing the right thing now."

Gral'hilanth uttered a hollow laugh. "I could be going to my death."

"What do you mean?" Garin gave Gral'hilanth a puzzled look.

Gral'hilanth paused. She had never planned to tell Garin about her past with Karthen. Now, having blurted it out, it seems appropriate that she should. She's going to find out anyway.

Gral'hilanth moved her body in the cramped co-pilot's seat to face Garin. Earnestly, she explained. "Karthen and I have a long history. She was the reason I was expelled from the military academy."

Gral'hilanth wasn't sure she wanted to be forthcoming about the incident. "The details don't matter. Just that Karthen was responsible for my expulsion and my family's shame. I lived in exile for the next fifteen years until I encountered Karthen again."

"What happened then?" Garin asked.

"I tried to kill her." Gral'hilanth glanced down. "I couldn't even do that right," she muttered.

When she lifted her eyes again, she saw Garin's bewildered look. "It was after that, I came back to the Hegemony. I saw it as my opportunity to get my revenge on her and her family. I knew something very damaging to her reputation and meant to use it to leverage my way back into the Elit."

"Oh, I see. So that is how you became an Aloyd without having attended the academy."

"Yes." Gral'hilanth searched the commodore's face, but saw no sign of passing judgement. Dare I continue to tell her all the horrible things I've done since, in my quest for vengeance?

"I—I was so bent on getting my revenge on Karthen that I made some very poor choices."

"Do you want to tell me?" Garin shifted in her seat to give Gral'hilanth her undivided attention. "You don't have to, but if it may affect the reception we are likely to get when we finally meet Karthen, then perhaps you should."

Gral'hilanth took a deep breath, as if to expel the demons from her past, and explained. "The Bren offered to help me be reinstated in Elit society, gave me a commission as Aloyd, Third-Class, and gave me an opportunity to exact my revenge on Karthen. I killed her lover, the slave Tehvay." Gral'hilanth noticed Garin's expression became more serious.

"I thought there was something more than just owner and slave between them," said Garin. "But I thought you…"

"I am a hypocrite. I know, but I was consumed by the need for revenge. As I said, I made some very poor choices. Choices that exacted a high price."

"You mean the beatings? And… other things?"

"Yes, the other things." She searched Garin's expression for disapproval, but saw none, which was a relief. "It's ironic," Gral'hilanth continued, "I went to Lentol to help me get revenge on Karthen, and now I am going to Karthen to help me get revenge on Lentol." Gral'hilanth glanced away again. "I only hope I stay alive long enough to help her take down the Bren."

Garin offered some advice. "Maybe you should get out of the revenge business. It's not good for you."

"Nothing's good for me." Gral'hilanth sighed. "No. I need to do this. Karthen wants Lentol as much as me for killing Tehvay. I will have some peace knowing I did at least one thing right in this life."

"There's plenty of time to do more than one thing right," Garin replied. "When we finally meet Karthen, I'll see that she doesn't kill you before she gives you a chance."

Gral'hilanth was not expecting compassion. "Thanks, but why?"

"For an aloyd, you are an okay person," said Garin light heartedly.

"What about as an aloyd?"

"Needs some work." Garin smiled and got up from her seat. "I'm going to get something to eat. Care to join me?"

"I am not all that hungry," Gral'hilanth replied. "I think I will close my eyes for a while." She repositioned herself in the co-pilot's seat. There was still well over three hours before they reached their destination. Time for Gral'hilanth to reflect on all that had been discussed: love, family, revenge. She had trusted Garin with all her dark secrets and the commodore offered her friendship and a sympathetic ear in return. Not all my secrets, she thought. She doesn't know that I killed Kami. That I killed the woman I love… and she never will. 

~~~~

Kikola looked out of the cockpit window. There was nothing to see except stars, which was a good sign. The location at which Kikola's ship was waiting was four light years from the nearest star, and seventy light years from the nearest space lane.

The vast majority of space traffic stuck to well-travelled lanes, because if something went wrong there was a greater chance of someone being within range to help. Adding a day or two to a journey was preferable to dying in the vast expanse between stars. There was a less than one percent chance that they would be detected, because sometimes someone took a short cut, especially the military.

From the corner of her eye, Kikola saw Commander Breena Eadmon's hands perform a quick dance over the controls. The commander's silence told Kikola there was nothing to report.

The old Kikola would have remained silent unless there was a reason to interact with the commander; however, Tehvay was always encouraging her to be more social. So, this seemed like an appropriate time to practice some small talk.

"So, Commander, I read in your personnel file that you have two siblings in the military: Garin, your sister, and a brother named Cayle. Is that right?"

"Yes, sir." Commander Eadmon seemed wary of the question. "Why do you ask?"

Now what do I say? Kikola thought. She was beginning to regret having tried to strike up a conversation in the first place. "I am interested in getting to know you better. Your sister served under me for a while. She…" Kikola paused and decided not to be totally honest in her appraisal. "… is a competent officer. Decorated in battle… uh, you know all that."

That seemed to put the commander at ease. "Yes. Well, as you know I am the youngest of the three. Cayle and Garin are much older than me – I was a bit of a surprise to our parents. I idolised them and wanted to be just like them."

"Is that why you joined the military?"

"Yes. We're a military family going back generations. I never thought about doing anything else."

Neither did I, thought Kikola. "Commander, you and Aloyd Willenth are sleeping together."

"Sir?" The statement must have startled the commander, because she jumped in her seat. After a long pause, she said, "Uh, yes, sir. If it is a problem we will—"

"No! I did not mean… I… I should not pry, I am sorry I mentioned…" That didn't go well, she thought.

"Relationships among officers are not strictly forbidden," Eadmon continued.

"I wasn't suggesting…"

Silence descended.

"It's just," Kikola continued, "Aloyd Willenth is married."

Commander Eadmon did not look up from the helm. "Yes, sir, I know."

"Of course." Kikola could not wait for the rendezvous they were expecting, but something made her keep going. "He is much older."

"Old enough to be my father, I know. You're not the first to mention it." Eadmon glanced across the cockpit in Kikola's direction. "We can't help who we love. I thought you of all people would understand that. With all due respect, sir."

"I apologise, I was not judging," Kikola replied. "I am just trying to pass the time with small talk. I am not very good at it, or so it would seem."

The commander chuckled. "No, sir. You're doing fine. It's just that I wasn't prepared for that question. I am sure you have had your share of criticism about your relationship."

"Yes," Kikola admitted. "Though most people, particularly on Trengos were accepting." Kikola paused. "What do you think of Tehvay?"

"Me, sir?"

"Yes," Kikola replied. "You may speak freely."

"She's not my type," Eadmon jested. The commander quickly turned from the controls to face her commanding officer. "I don't know Tehvay that well, but from what I've seen, she is a remarkable person. I can see why you were drawn to her. She's made me re-evaluate my attitude towards slavery."

"Do you own any?"

"Slaves? No, not personally, but my family had them when I was growing up. My parents still do."

"Where are your parents?"

"They retired to Franlence."

"Have you been in contact with them?"

"No, sir."

"Your brother?"

"Only my sister." The commander glanced across at Kikola. "Do you have any brothers or sisters?"

"Just a brother. Rephon."

"Older or younger?"

"He is older," replied Kikola.

"Do you get along with each other?"

"Yes. Why wouldn't we?"

The commander shrugged. "Sometimes brothers and sisters don't."

Kikola thought about her relationship with her brother. Are we close? We talk to each other when we meet. However, we don't call each other when we are apart. That's normal for Elit, she thought. "We might not be as close as other siblings, but we don't dislike each other."

"Could be worse, I guess," said the commander as her hands performed the dance again. A flickering light and a message on Kikola's command console told her contact had been made. "They're here," said Eadmon. "Bearing—"

"I have the co-ordinates," Kikola interrupted and nudged the navigation controls.

The ship that approached them was a civilian light cargo transport; at least that's what the target ID transponder readout identified it as. Kikola cycled through the sensors to confirm the readout.

"I'm picking up two people on board," Kikola noted.

"Good. That confirms what my sister said about coming with one other."

"She did not tell you who this other person was?"

"No, sir. She only said it was someone who could help us defeat Ambra ap Lentol."

"You'll forgive me if I am sceptical. It could be a trap."

"I trust my sister's motives, sir," the commander said. "She wouldn't betray me."

Kikola looked across at the commander. "Then I will give her a chance to earn my trust, because I trust you."

"Thank you, sir. We won't let you down."

Once the docking command was given, the two ships' computers performed the manoeuvres to bring the crafts alongside each other and create a physical link.

As they headed to the airlock to wait, Commander Eadmon did her best to contain the excitement at seeing her sister again, but even Kikola could see it.

"Remember, Commander, this could be a trap."

The commander's demeanour changed from sister to soldier. "Sorry, sir."

When the contact light above the airlock illuminated, Kikola drew her IPB and powered it up.

The whine of the weapon attracted Eadmon's attention. "Is that necessary, sir?"

"Yes." The single word reply was terse, as Kikola focussed on the door.

The monitor next to the door indicated that the airlock was safe and the doors on the other ship were open. Eadmon glanced at Kikola.

"Open the door," Kikola ordered and brought her weapon up.

Eadmon punched the control and the lone figure of Garin Eadmon stood there. The commodore appeared shocked to see Kikola, but recovered quickly, snapped to attention and saluted.

"At ease, Commodore." Kikola lowered her weapon. "Congratulations, on your promotion."

"And you, Rivelor."

The elder Eadmon sister turned to the younger and smiled. "Bree."

Kikola watched as the sisters broke military protocol and warmly embraced each other, which she overlooked given the circumstances. Now, however, was not the time for family reunions. "You have someone with you."

"Yes," replied the commodore. "I will go and get her. Don't be surprised when you meet her. I assure you this is not a joke."

"Who is it?" asked Kikola.

"It's me."  

Appearing behind Eadmon in the airlock was someone in an aloyd's uniform; someone whom Kikola knew all too well: Gral'hilanth ap Falentha.

Seeing the woman who had killed Yuniph, and traumatised Tehvay in doing so, sparked a dark emotion in Kikola, more so than the disgust of seeing Falentha wearing the uniform of an aloyd. Without a word spoken, Kikola had her IPB pointing at Falentha's head.

As Falentha slowly raised her hands above her head, the junior Eadmon looked to her elder sister for an explanation.

"Aloyd Falentha is a friend of mine," Garin Eadmon said to her younger sibling.

"You didn't tell me you were bringing her!" Breena exclaimed.

Kikola ignored the sisters and focussed only on her enemy. "Give me one reason why I shouldn't kill you right now." Her voice was low and strained as she tried to remain calm.

"It's set to stun." Falentha's words might have been humorous in another situation, but there was no levity in her voice.

Kikola adjusted the weapon's setting from stun to kill without lowering it or diverting her gaze.

Falentha's bright-blue eyes locked onto Kikola. "Hardly fair is it. I am unarmed."

Kikola holstered her weapon and closed the gap between herself and her target. Before the Eadmon sisters could blink, Kikola landed a blow on Falentha's chest that sent the woman staggering back against the bulkhead. She pressed her advantage and clamped her hand around the other woman's throat.

Falentha struggled to loosen Kikola's grip.

"Sir, please!" Commodore Eadmon's voice cut through to Kikola.

"Step away, Commodore," the Rivelor ordered.

"Respectfully, no, sir." Commodore Eadmon held her ground. "Aloyd Falentha has information that can help you."

Kikola wanted so badly to choke the life out of Gral'hilanth, but she knew that killing Falentha now would bring them no closer to Lentol. Reluctantly, yet prudently, Kikola loosened her grip.

Falentha coughed, gasped, and massaged her throat. When she could finally speak, Gral'hilanth said, "That was hardly a fair fight. I am not chipped like you."

Kikola recognised that Gral'hilanth was talking about the muscle implant aloyds receive upon graduation. Again, she felt anger building up, because her attempts at vengeance for Yuniph's death were being met by Gral'hilanth's petty jibes.

"Slitting throats of innocent people is fair?" Kikola could barely contain her indignation. "Choking slaves, whose only crime is to offend an outdated code of decency, is fair?"

Kikola counted to ten to calm herself. She had spent years training herself not to get angry, but this time it was not working. She was embarrassed that she was allowing Falentha's mere presence to affect her. I haven't lost my temper since joining the academy, not since— Concentrate! You should be calm and in control at all times, Kikola admonished herself.

Kikola stepped back, straightened her jacket, and calmly un-holstered her IPB for a second time. "Under article three-seven-four-two-eight of The Kalenth Hegemony Military Code, as Rivelor in a time of war, I find you, Aloyd, Second-Class Gral'hilanth Lintana ap Falentha guilty of treason and subject to immediate execution." She placed the muzzle against Gral'hilanth's temple. "You have the right to say any last words."

Falentha sighed, and the light in her eyes went out. "Just do it."

"Sir." Commodore Eadmon's hand gently took hold of the barrel of Kikola's weapon. "She can get you to Lentol," she said. "But she needs to be alive for that. Please, put the weapon down."

Kikola shot Commodore Eadmon an angry look.

"Once you have Lentol, you can do what you want with me," said Falentha, unflinchingly. "I won't stop you, but know that I regret what I did. So much of what I have done for…" Falentha's voice trailed off. She looked Kikola in the eye. "You don't need to hear my regrets. They'll mean nothing to you, nor should they. I am guilty. If you wish to kill to me, do it. However, we both want Ambra ap Lentol to pay first." 

Kikola lowered the weapon. She turned to Commodore Eadmon. "The two of you will be confined to your quarters and the galley. Go anywhere else and I will shoot you."

"Yes, sir."

"Commander Eadmon, show our guests to their quarters and return us to base. We will take their ship. It might be of some use." Kikola marched off to her quarters.

~~~~

As they journeyed to Karthen's base, Gral'hilanth had plenty of time alone to contemplate her fate. She knew that when all of this was over, she would most likely be dead. That was somehow comforting. There was, however, one thing she wanted resolved before she died.

The Rivelor had kept her distance as much as possible aboard the small ship, but contact was inevitable. Gral'hilanth found her in the galley eating a meal. "The silent treatment won't help," she said. "We have to talk at some point."

"I know," said Karthen. "I needed time to control my anger before we talked."

"I never had a problem with my anger," replied Gral'hilanth. "If it was there, I used it."

"Maybe that is why you failed."

"Yet, here I sit, an aloyd. And you… what are you? You walked away from being an aloyd, now someone has offered you the rank of Rivelor, and so you came back. That's worse than a failure, that's being a mercenary."

Gral'hilanth could see the verbal jab had hit its mark, but Karthen was good at pushing the anger away.

"Let it out," Gral'hilanth pushed. "You want to. Use that anger to lash out. What are you scared of?"

"Many things," said the Rivelor. "However, you're not one of them."

"I make you angry, though. You want to kill me for what I did."

"Anger and fear are not the same." Karthen put down her utensil, but kept her eyes focussed on her plate. "Fear is good; it stops you from being complacent. It's a driver for action. Anger is the opposite. It confuses you. It stops you thinking and acting rationally. It's a weakness, which is why you are trying to make me angry and not scared. I will not allow you to exploit my anger." She raised her eyes and fixed them on Gral'hilanth. "You are a loser. Always have been. Always will be. I do not need to be angry at you. I pity you."

Anger at Karthen's words bubbled up inside Gral'hilanth. She almost reacted violently, but knew that Karthen was expecting that reaction. She took a deep breath and laughed. "You're good." She took the seat opposite Karthen. "Very good. Most annoying of all, you're right. I am a loser. I am pitiful. I have allowed myself to be used and humiliated for the amusement of a psychopath so that I could get revenge on you. However, I have to come to you to get revenge on the psychopath." She looked down at her hands. "If there was anything I could do to bring Tehvay back for you, I would."

"Tehvay? You still do not know."

"Know what?" Gral'hilanth looked up.

"You didn't kill Tehvay. You killed her sister Yuniph."

"Sister? How is that possible?"

"Yuniph was Tehvay's twin sister."

"Why didn't she identify herself?"

"Yuniph figured if you thought you had Tehvay, then you would leave us alone. Yuniph convinced Rikana to go along with the deception. She sacrificed herself to protect us." Karthen fixed her steely gaze on Gral'hilanth. "Yuniph was Tehvay's family. Tehvay is my family. Therefore, Yuniph was my family, too. I don't take kindly to people hurting my family."

"I—" Gral'hilanth stopped and lowered her head. What a hollow and inadequate word 'sorry' was. She couldn't bring herself to utter it.   

The Rivelor picked up her food tray, put it in the waste disposal, and headed for the door. She paused in the doorway and turned back towards Gral'hilanth. "Boran said you told him Kamina was dead. Is she?" asked Karthen.

Gral'hilanth's head snapped up upon hearing Kamina's name being mentioned by someone who knew her. The worst day of her life had never left her, but she never spoke about it to anyone else. Should I tell her what really happened? thought Gral'hilanth. It can't make things worse.

"Yes."

"How did she die?"

"An accident. A stupid, ironic accident." Gral'hilanth wanted to curl up in a ball and retreat from the world, but Karthen looked like she was expecting more of an explanation.

"Ambra wanted me on her side, but she needed to test me. She told me Kami was the girl I didn't kill on my botched final academy assignment. She said all I had to do was kill Kami, and I would be accepted back into the Elit and given the rank of Aloyd."

"Kamina wasn't the girl," said Karthen. "I killed the target as one of my assignments."

It amplified Gral'hilanth's anguish to hear Karthen confirm it. "I know; I saw the file." She managed to hold back the tears and continue with her explanation. "At the time I believed Ambra, but I couldn't do it. I was ready to fire up the engines and fly away, but I had to come clean to Kami. I felt I owed it to her." Falentha covered her eyes. "She took it badly. She attacked me. Bloodied my nose. Gave me these." She waved a hand at the fading scars over her right eye. "I… I defended myself. I pushed her away. She… She fell back and must have landed awkwardly or something, I didn't see. When I went to check on her, I could see her neck… her neck was broken. She was gone."

"I am sorry. She was…" Karthen seemed to understand that words wouldn't help and stopped talking.

"Ambra's lies killed Kami. I can't absolve myself of my part in it, but Ambra must pay for that." Gral'hilanth added under her breath, "and more."

"She will," said Karthen. She turned to leave, but was halted by Gral'hilanth.

"Did you know Tehvay was the slave?"

Karthen frowned. "What slave? What are you talking about?"

"The Eiliad's slave, the one I didn't kill. It was Tehvay."

Karthen seemed genuinely shocked. "Are you sure?"

"Yes. It was in the file I saw. Her slave ID and a death date, or what we thought was her death date."

"I suppose I should be grateful for your incompetence."

"It might have been the only good thing to come out of all of this. I am happy for you." She stood up and approached the Rivelor. "You told me on Shibato that exposing my failure was not personal and that I had everything I could want: freedom, happiness, Kami. I should have listened to you. I made it personal and lost everything. After that I didn't care who I hurt. I wanted revenge. Only, the price I had to continuously pay to Ambra became too much to bear." She held out her right hand. "I swear that I will do what I can to help you defeat Ambra. I am not asking for forgiveness. I am not asking that we become friends. All I am asking is that we put aside any differences until we have stopped Ambra."

When Gral'hilanth felt Karthen take her hand, she closed her eyes and a sense of peace filled her. She opened her eyes again when Karthen released her grip. The other woman's face was as expressionless at stone, but there was a hint in the dark eyes that suggested some sort of understanding.

"One more thing," said Gral'hilanth. "Tehvay's sister. Where did she come from? How did you meet her?"

Karthen said, "It's a long story. I will tell it to you one day when we are both old and grey."

Gral'hilanth watched the Rivelor leave and then sat back down. "I will look forward to it," she whispered to the empty room.

She had finally realised that vengeance would not bring her peace. Only putting the past behind her and moving on would make that happen. Karthen was right; fear is a good motivator. She suddenly had a future and was scared of losing it. It was time to act to protect it.

~~~~

Tehvay awoke and sleepily reached out to the other side of the bed expecting it to be empty since Kikola was away on a mission. When her hand encountered something, she sat upright.

"Morning," said Kikola, who was lying on top of the covers on her usual side of the bed.

Tehvay rubbed the sleep from her eyes. "When did you get back?"

"A little while ago," replied Kikola with a smile.

Tehvay was happy to see Kikola smiling at her, but she noted the smile was restrained. "Is something wrong?"

Kikola hesitated. "I… There…" Kikola climbed off the bed. "Get dressed, I…"

Tehvay got out of bed. "You're making me nervous."

"There's some… thing I need to show you," Kikola replied.

Tehvay got ready as quickly as she could, and followed Kikola through the corridors until they came to a door with a guard posted in front. The guard acknowledged the Rivelor with a crisp salute, which Kikola returned.

Tehvay wondered what was behind the door that Kikola felt needed to be guarded. She was starting to get just a bit concerned. Her anxiousness wasn't diminished when Kikola turned to her and said, "I don't know how to tell you. I can only show you." She nodded to the guard who opened the door.

Tehvay followed Kikola into the room where there was someone seated in a chair with her back to them. At first Tehvay didn't recognise the blonde-haired woman, other than the dark grey uniform informed her that the person was an aloyd. When the woman stood and turned around, Tehvay saw the unnatural bright-blue eyes: Falentha.

"Is this some kind of a joke?" Tehvay asked Kikola. "Because if it is, it's a very cruel one."

"It is no joke," Kikola replied.

Tehvay wanted to walk away. She didn't like the way she was feeling just being in the presence of the woman who had killed Yuniph.

"Hello, Tehvay," said Falentha penitently.

A primal instinct took control of Tehvay. It was as if something dark rose from the depths of her soul and obliterated every rational thought. "What is she doing here?" Tehvay directed her question to Kikola without diverting her glare from the unwelcomed intruder.

"Tehvay—"

"What is she doing here?" Tehvay repeated more forcefully, cutting off Kikola's response.

Falentha spoke. "I can only say how sorry I—."

"Don't!" Tehvay spat the word out. She stepped closer to the aloyd. "You killed Yuniph. You killed my sister. Why?" The word was hurled like a rock.

Falentha avoided looking Tehvay in the eye.

That infuriated Tehvay. "Look at me! Look at me! Why?" She reached out and pushed Falentha's shoulder.

The blonde woman just stood there, offering no explanation.

She pushed Falentha again. And again.

"Tehvay, I should take you back," Kikola said softly.

Tehvay felt a hand on her arm and shrugged it off. "Stay out of this." She fixed her glare on Falentha. "Answer me."

"I was ordered… I had no choice," the aloyd replied.

"Had no choice?" The meekness of the explanation was like a slap in Tehvay's face and Tehvay answered in kind. "You coward!" She slapped Falentha. When that got no reaction from the aloyd, Tehvay lost it and started hitting Falentha.

Falentha easily defended herself from Tehvay's ineffectual blows but didn't strike back. Kikola stayed out of it completely, and Tehvay was glad she did. Tehvay wanted all her rage to be directed at the woman who killed her sister. The more she hit Falentha, the angrier she got and the harder she hit her the next time.

Stop! This won't bring Yuniph back, Tehvay admonished herself, but her temper was out of her control. Falentha just stood there, taking Tehvay's blows and saying nothing, which infuriated Tehvay even more. She started using her fists on the aloyd with all the might she could muster.

Her anger finally spent, Tehvay sank to her knees. Strong arms caught her and lowered her to the floor. They held on to her as she sobbed.

"I am so sorry." Falentha's whisper repeated in Tehvay's ear as the aloyd rocked her gently. "I am so sorry."

~~~~

Kikola felt impotent as she watched Tehvay crumple to the floor, emotionally and physically spent. She wanted to rush to her and hold her, but Falentha was there. Kikola's first instinct was to tackle Falentha and push her away to protect Tehvay. However, Kikola soon realised that Falentha was trying to comfort Tehvay, so she let them be, because she knew that they needed this moment of healing.

Suddenly the door opened, and Rikana burst into the room with Captain Wurth hurrying after her. "Get away from her!"

Rikana started going for her weapon.

Kikola moved fast.

Before the young woman's IPB was clear of its holster, Kikola was on Rikana and twisted the weapon from her grip. Rikana pushed Kikola backwards and headed towards Falentha. Wurth stepped forward and pulled the dark-haired woman back.

"She's trying to kill Tehvay!" Rikana tried to shrug loose, but her arms were pinned to her side by Wurth. She turned an angry glare at Kikola. "Why aren't you doing something?" Rikana struggled against Wurth's tightening grip. "Get the fuck off me!"

Kikola stepped in front of the aloyd to block Rikana. "Rikana, stop," Kikola said. "She's not hurting Tehvay."

Kikola directed Rikana's gaze over to Falentha who had climbed to her feet and helped Tehvay to a chair.

Rikana stopped trying to free herself. "Tell me we're killing her! Tell me!"

"Not now."

"What does that mean? We're not killing her now? Or you can't tell me now?"

Kikola was not in the mood to deal with this, but had no choice. "Aloyd Falentha came here voluntarily with Commodore Eadmon to help us capture Lentol."

"She helps us and then we kill her."

"No one's killing anyone." Kikola looked from Rikana to Falentha and back again. "Understand?"

Rikana didn't respond verbally, but her body language told Kikola she reluctantly accepted it. Kikola nodded to Wurth and he let Rikana go.

"Kikola," Tehvay called out, "I'd like to go back to our suite now."

Kikola handed Rikana's weapon to Wurth. "Captain, take Tehvay back to our quarters and remain until I return."

"Yes, Rivelor."

Kikola helped Tehvay to stand and got her moving towards Wurth and Rikana. "I will be with you shortly."

"Rikana, you and Captain Wurth stay with Tehvay until I get there, okay?"

"Don't be long." Rikana gave one final glare at Falentha and guided Tehvay out of the room, with Wurth trailing them.

"If it were me, I wouldn't have stopped her," said Falentha.

"You are not me."

"No." Falentha sat down.

Kikola noticed a cut just above Falentha's left eye. "I'll have a medic come take a look at that eye."

Falentha touched the cut, pulled her hand away, and noticed the blood. "It's just a scratch."

"Tehvay is not normally like that. Rikana is, but not Tehvay. She is still grieving her sister's death."

"Don't worry about it. Trust me, I have taken much worse abuse."

Kikola noted the melancholy in Falentha's admission, but didn't want to press her to explain further.

"So, what now?" asked the aloyd.

Kikola shrugged. "You have to prove yourself useful. For the time being, you will be kept here under guard – for your own safety. We will talk again soon, but right now, I have to go and be with Tehvay."

~~~~

Tehvay was utterly drained from her confrontation with Gral'hilanth ap Falentha. She desperately wanted to go to back to bed, but she knew she couldn't sleep. Instead, she stared into her half-empty cup of dyodpeth, ignoring Rikana's justified ranting. Captain Wurth was doing his best to placate Rikana, but to no avail.

The door opened and Kikola entered. Wurth stood to attention and saluted. Rikana made a disgusted noise.

"Dismissed, Captain," Kikola said. "You too, Rikana."

"Fuck no! I'm not leaving until I get some answers."

"We will talk later. Right now, I need to speak to Tehvay. Alone."

"Please, Rikana," Tehvay implored. "Kikola and I need to talk."

Rikana cursed under her breath. "I want a piece of her when you're done with her." She stormed out with Wurth in her wake.

Tehvay mustered the energy to stand as Kikola approached.

"Before you say anything, let me say…" Kikola stopped in mid-sentence – a bemused look crossed her face. "Your hair. You have cut it."

Tehvay reached up and briefly touched the nape of her neck. After all the tumult of the morning, she had quite forgotten about it. "Yes, Marleen did it for me last night," she replied. "I was thinking about Tru. I remembered when I first met him; he thought I was Yuniph with shorter hair. Then when she got her hair cut short, I let mine grow long – I guess to stand out from Yuniph. That doesn't seem to matter now." Tehvay was talking aloud to herself more than to Kikola. When she realised it, she gave Kikola a more direct answer. "I thought it was time to get it cut."

"I like it." Kikola smiled. "Not that I didn't like it long," she quickly added. "It reminds me of when we first met." Kikola moved in closer and gently ran her fingers through Tehvay's hair. "You took my breath away."

Kikola's hand lingered and then fell away as she took a step back. "I think my hair might need a trim."

For a minute, Tehvay set aside her pique, reached for Kikola's hair, and released it from its ponytail. It fell in a perfect cascade to brush her shoulders. "No. Everything about you is flawless." Tehvay separated a few strands of the dark hair and rubbed them between her fingers.

Kikola tilted her head towards Tehvay's hand, and Tehvay cupped her cheek. They gazed lovingly at each other, but now was not the moment for intimacy. They needed to talk about what had happened. At least Tehvay needed to talk about it.

She moved away to the other side of the room and kept her back to Kikola. "I need to know why."

"Why?" Kikola asked, seeming not to understand the question.

Tehvay turned around. "Yes, why you felt the need to ambush me like that."

"Ambush you?" Kikola looked confused.

"Well, what would you call it?" Tehvay felt her ire rising. "You come home. You tell me to get dressed. You take me to a room – all without telling me why. And when I get there, I am confronted with the presence of the woman who killed my sister. No warning, no explanation. I call that an ambush."

"I didn't know how you would react if I told you, so I decided it was better just to bring you two together," Kikola replied. "Clearly, I misjudged your reaction."

"You think?" There was obvious sarcasm in Tehvay's tone. She raised her hand and gestured towards the door. "You seemed to have had no trouble telling Rikana beforehand." She lowered her arm and pointed towards herself. "You could've done me the same courtesy."

"I didn't tell Rikana," Kikola protested. "I don't know how she found out Falentha was here. It doesn't matter." Kikola turned and moved away. "I can see now that I should have handled it differently."

Tehvay was feeling too fatigued to continue this discussion standing up. "I need to sit down."

Kikola helped Tehvay over to the sofa.

"Could you get me a glass of water? My throat is a little dry."

"Certainly." Kikola went into the kitchen and came out with a glass of water for Tehvay and for herself.

Tehvay expressed her thanks and drank the water. The cool liquid soothed her parched throat. She put the glass on a nearby table and invited Kikola to come sit with her. Her thirst might have been quenched, but her questions were not.

"I still have many questions."

"I will endeavour to answer them," Kikola replied. She finished her water, placed the empty glass next to Tehvay's, and joined her on the sofa.

Tehvay continued her inquiry. "Why didn't you tell me you were going to get her?"

"I didn't know Falentha would be with Garin Eadmon until we met their shuttle."

"Oh." Knowing Kikola didn't lie, Tehvay accepted her explanation; however, it didn't answer all her questions. "But why is she here?"

"Eadmon persuaded me that Falentha could help us defeat Lentol."

"How exactly?" asked Tehvay warily.

The question seemed to catch Kikola by surprise. "We have no plan as yet."

"Did it ever occur to you that Lentol could've sent the two of them? And now you brought them here."

"I considered that, but I thought it was worth the risk to bring her here if it means we have a chance to capture Lentol. It was the right thing to do."

"The right thing?" Tehvay asked incredulously. "Clearly it was the not the right thing to do for Rikana and me."

"I had to make a decision," Kikola replied. "I stand by it."

Maybe it was because she was tired, but that touched a nerve for Tehvay. "Oh, so you decided and that makes it okay?" Her voice was becoming strident.

"Yes," Kikola said calmly.

Tehvay got up off the sofa and put some distance between her and Kikola. "Doesn't my opinion count?"

Kikola stood and joined Tehvay in the middle of the room. "Yes of course, but we are at war and I wear this." Kikola pointed to the insignia on her collar. "This means I am in charge. I make the decisions, and I bear the consequences."

That was exactly the wrong thing to say to Tehvay. She took a step closer, challenging Kikola. "No, I bear the consequences! That woman killed my sister thinking she was killing me! Am I supposed to just forgive her because you now find her useful to your cause?"

"You forgiving her or not didn't enter into the equation," Kikola replied. "I was presented with an opportunity to defeat Lentol sooner rather than later, saving countless lives." Kikola vented her frustration. "In times of war, I cannot debate every decision I need to make, and once decided, I expect my orders to be followed without further argument."

"Spoken like a true Elit!" Tehvay stormed off into the bedroom and sat on the edge of the bed.

Kikola followed and knelt in front of Tehvay. "Can we talk about this?"

"I thought you had changed," Tehvay lamented.

"I have changed, thanks to you." Kikola paused.

"Yet, you put on that uniform and suddenly I feel invisible." Tehvay looked away.

"Tehvay," Kikola said.

Tehvay didn't make eye contact.

"Tehvay, look at me."

Tehvay found herself being helped to her feet. Reluctantly she met Kikola's gaze.

"You are the most important thing in my life," Kikola continued, "but right now, the Rivelor is who I need to be. I need you to understand that."

"I do understand. But let's be clear about one thing. You should have told me about Falentha. You should have asked me if I wanted to set eyes on her."

"You are right. I am sorry." Kikola's shoulders slumped, and her eyes looked at the floor.

Tehvay didn't like seeing Kikola defeated. She took a step closer and lifted Kikola's chin. "We left the Hegemony together. We came back together. We fight this together. If you have a good reason to keep Falentha here, I want to hear it so we can decide together. I don't want someone else deciding for me, not even you."

"That's not how the military works," Kikola replied. "That's not how being The Rivelor works."

"Maybe not, but it's how we work."

Kikola looked Tehvay directly in the eye, and took hold of Tehvay's hand that was still cupping her chin. "I promise I will consult you and the others whenever possible and take what you say into consideration." She released Tehvay's hand and took a step back. "However, in the end, the decision is mine. As for Falentha, we will decide what to do with her later, but she's here now. We have to set our personal feelings aside and accept her help, if it means capturing Lentol and ending this war."

"Are you asking me or telling me?"

"I am asking you."

"Then yes, I can do that. But don't expect me to forgive her."

"Forgive me?" Kikola asked in a small voice.

"Always."

 

Chapter 12

Author's Page

Back to the Academy