CHAPTER 13

 

Ellovene walked through a small neighbourhood park towards a new café that had recently been opened. The Dansek winter was giving way to spring rain, and the path was dotted with puddles that she avoided with a slalom-like walk.

This was the first time since Trujilon's memorial that she had ventured out in public. Other than for work or to look in on her parents, Ellovene preferred the seclusion of home. She had taken a leave of absence from the PPG, because she couldn't face the look of sadness and pity on the faces of her fellow committee members – not yet.

The café was situated at the top of a grass slope that, in summer, offered a view overlooking the south-east part of the city. Today grey clouds obscured it. It didn't matter; she wasn't here for the view.

Ellovene stepped across the threshold, happy to be out of the rain. She took off her coat and brushed the raindrops off the sleeves and collar with her hand. There were only a handful of customers this wet mid-week morning, and Ellovene had no problem getting a table by the front window.

From across the room, her server acknowledged that she would be right with Ellovene. This café did not have automated-servers; instead, a flesh and blood person served the customers, which Ellovene found novel. She watched the young woman weave her way through the obstacle course of tables, unsteadily carrying a tray. She wore a non-descript, gender-neutral, black short-sleeved shirt and slacks uniform and white nametag. Her curly blonde hair was pulled back away from her face. Her smile was genuine.

"You made it!" Jenissa gushed as she balanced the tray in her left hand.

"I promised you I would," said Ellovene.

Jenissa took a hot cup of dyodpeth off the tray and placed it in front of her friend. "It is on the house," she whispered.

"Thanks," Ellovene replied, taking a sip and welcoming its warmth on such an inclement day.

Jenissa placed the tray on the table and took out her electronic pad. "What would you like to eat?"

Ellovene glanced over her shoulder to study the menu on the wall behind her. She still didn't have much of an appetite and none of the lunch specials sounded appealing. "I'll just have soup," she said as she turned back around.

"Which one would you like? We have a wide variety."

"What do you recommend?" Ellovene noted the look of uncertainty and mild panic in her roommate's eyes when she asked that question. It occurred to her that Jenissa might not have committed the entire menu to memory yet, having only started a few days ago. "I'll have a bowl of the soup of the day, whatever that is."

Jenissa looked relieved and selected the item on the pad. "One bowl of Winter Vegetable Soup." She looked up from the pad. "Do you want bread with that?"

"Sure," Ellovene replied.

Jenissa tapped the screen. "I will be right back with your soup, ma'am." She weaved her way back to the counter.

Ellovene noted the tone of voice Jenissa used. It was bright and cheerful, but artificial. She was probably told to say that to customers, thought Ellovene. It can't be natural for her to address non-Elit as ma'am. But she's sincere in her efforts.

Jenissa returned a few minutes later carefully carrying a tray with the soup, a small bread roll, a small pot of dyodpeth, and a cup. Jenissa sat down opposite Ellovene and poured herself a cup of dyodpeth, then topped up Ellovene's cup with what was left. "I am taking my break," she said with a determined smile.

Ellovene returned her friend's smile. She tried a taste of the hot soup. "Mmm, it's good."

"Yes, it is very popular."

Again, a stock phrase to tell a customer. "So, how are things going today?" asked Ellovene.

"Not bad. I have only dropped my tray once and had a customer complain that I got his order wrong." She took a sip of her drink. "Other than that, it has been a good day, especially now that you're here."

"I'm glad," Ellovene replied. Not just glad, she thought, relieved. Jenissa had taken the job as a server at the café at Ellovene's persistent suggestion. Ellovene thought that Jenissa might enjoy a job, because it would have her meeting new people, was just a ten-minute walk away, and didn't require particular skills.

To Ellovene's surprise, Jenissa agreed that it was time she got a job. However, she had been ready to quit after the first day. 'I know my job is to serve people, but I didn't think it would be that hard!' the former Elit had lamented.

Jenissa cradled her drink with both hands for warmth. A sudden gust of wind outside made the rain batter the window next to their table, and they both instinctively turned their heads to look.

"I hate this rain." Jenissa shuddered. "Why don't we move somewhere nicer? Warmer."

"We can't just pick up and move," said Ellovene after swallowing another spoonful of soup.

"Why not?"

It was another of Jenissa's childlike questions born out of her life of privilege. The reporter in Ellovene had an insatiable curiosity. "Could you just go wherever you wanted?"

"Mostly yes," replied Jenissa. "My parents lived at the main family estate on Alopan, which was nice enough in summer; however, the winters there were often frigid and snowy. We would sometimes go to the family's winter retreat on Alopan where the temperatures were warmer, or to another planet."  

Ellovene observed Jenissa take a cloth from her apron and wipe away a watermark on the table left by condensation from her cup. She is thinking like a server, Ellovene thought. That's progress.

"It is a privilege to live on the main estate," Jenissa continued. "If one spent too much time away without a legitimate reason, a family member who didn't live there, and wanted to, could make a case that they should be there instead."

"Who decides who gets to live at the main estate?"

"The head of the family, of course."

"And who is the head of your family?"

Jenissa glanced down at her tray. Her mood changed. "The head of my family is my uncle Darith."

Ellovene knew from speaking to Tehvay that Jenissa's grandfather had been head of the family until Kikola killed him. She was tempted to pursue that thread, but didn't want to unduly rake up bad memories on what was a good day for Jenissa. "That sounds like an awfully weird way to decide who gets to live where, if you don't mind me saying."

Jenissa shrugged. "Does it?"

"I suppose being born into that life it must have seemed normal."

Jenissa raised a smile. "Normal or weird, it doesn't matter. I am not constrained by those rules anymore – or any other Elit rules."

"What sort of rules?"

"Rules that controlled where you can live, who you can love, and what your role in society is."

"Who you can love? You mean Menari?"

Jenissa nodded. She closed her eyes for a second as if holding back tears.

In dealing with her own grief, Ellovene had not appreciated that her young friend was still going through the grieving process herself. "Sorry, I didn't mean…"

"It's all right," Jenissa said, remaining dry-eyed. "Menari being a slave was bad enough, but she was also female. I compounded one taboo with another."

"So, loving a woman is forbidden for Elit?" Ellovene had garnered as much from Tehvay and Kikola but had never asked them outright.

"If you are a woman, yes." Jenissa shook her head and changed the subject. "I was going to be a governor. Did I tell you that?"

"No, really?" Ellovene replied with surprise.

Jenissa took another sip of her dyodpeth. "Yes."

"What made you choose politics?"

"I didn't choose it. I was assigned it. I had only just begun my training for governorship when…" Jenissa paused, looking down at the contents of her cup. "I left," she added sadly.

Ellovene wondered if this was an appropriate place and time to press her friend on the subject further; however, curiosity won out. "Are you saying as a child you were chosen to be a governor? You didn't stand for elections?"

Jenissa finished the last sip of dyodpeth and met Ellovene's gaze again. "No. As an Elit, our role in society was determined by birth order." She put her cup down. "Before you ask, I don't understand how it works. There must be some arcane set of rules somewhere. My father is a chemist; my mother a musician, and my younger brother is going into the military when he is old enough. I was to spend five years training with my aunt Ultessi, herself a governor, learning the finer details I would need to serve as a planetary governor."

"Fascinating," Ellovene replied. "What happens if you can't do the role assigned to you? Do you get assigned a new one?"

Jenissa shuddered. "You become Hebsifilla – an object of disgrace for the family and pity among the other Elit. You no longer contribute to the betterment of society and become only a drain on it. It is almost as bad as falling in love with a slave."

Ellovene saw Jenissa's head dip and steered the conversation back on course. "Do you like politics?"

"Not really. However, liking one's role is not essential. You still do it."

"If you could do anything you wanted as a career, what would it be?"

"I don't know. I have never had to think about it."

"What interests you most?"

"Having nice things."

"Okay," Ellovene paused trying to think what her friend might be good at. Then it came to her. "What about a career in fashion or interior design."

"It is possible to have a career in those things?" Jenissa asked sceptically.

"Yes. You like clothes. You said that the Trengosian fashions were different than the Hegemony fashions. You could design clothes that combine the two. Maybe even start your own business."

"Business? I don't know much about business, except that people sell things and people buy things." Jenissa looked around the café. "Like food. Why do people come to these places? Can't they eat and drink at home, and then I wouldn't have to serve them."

"Then you wouldn't be earning," Ellovene pointed out. "Speaking of which, your break must be over. Think about it. Maybe you could start by taking some business and design classes. We can talk when you get home."

Jenissa's brow creased in thought. "I guess so. I have to make a life here. Would you help me do it?"

Ellovene looked across the table at the younger woman. Without Trujilon to look after, Ellovene felt her life had lost its purpose. She had lost a brother, but in Jenissa she had found a sister, and a new purpose.

"Yes," said Ellovene. Not even the heavy rain could dampen her spirit. She smiled. "Yes."

~~~~

Garin stared down at the lifeless body of Aloyd Gral'hilanth ap Falentha. Her emotions were shut down. There was no time to feel or think, just react and follow protocol. Protocol? she thought. There was no protocol for the Bren being arrested and the first officer shooting her commanding aloyd.

When the medics first arrived, Garin took charge of the scene: the Rivelor may outrank her, but this was her ship. As the medics went to treat the unconscious Peamertin, Garin stood up and said, "Leave her; she's just stunned. Treat the aloyd."

One medic moved to Aloyd Falentha and checked her pulse. She removed her hand, looked up, and shook her head. "It's too late. I'm sorry."

Garin already knew that Gral'hilanth was dead. Still, it hurt to hear it pronounced with such finality.

Garin turned to Tehvay, who was watching the medics place the body into a body bag. Garin noticed the patches of blood on the blonde-haired woman's uniform. "Are you all right, Miss Veilan?"

Tehvay slowly raised her eyes to meet Garin's and nodded that she was. Nevertheless, Garin ordered the medics to check Tehvay over as well. Other than shock, the medics reported that she was uninjured. The blood, it would seem, had come from Aloyd Falentha.

When the Rivelor ordered the guards to remove the Bren to the brig, Garin added, "Take Peamertin to the brig, too."

After the Bren and Commander Peamertin had been taken away and Aloyd Falentha's body taken to sickbay, Garin stood to attention and saluted the Rivelor. "Sir, as ranking officer, the Relentless and its crew are under your command and at your disposal. I suggest we secure this suite as a crime scene and take everyone's statements. You may use the suite next door to freshen up and wait to be interviewed."

"That won't be necessary," said Karthen. "I will submit a report in due course, but there are more pressing matters."

"With respect, sir."

A voice behind Garin spoke. "Whoo! Never start a sentence aimed at a superior officer with those words."

She turned to see Rikana Lardis lounging in a chair.

The young woman stared at her and shrugged. "They tend not to believe you. Just saying," said Lardis.

Garin was thrown by the casual way subordinates talked around the Rivelor, but she put the interruption behind her and carried on. "I was just going to say Commander Peamertin should be interviewed at least."

"Yes, but Peamertin can wait. The Bren has been arrested. The Council needs to be informed of the change in leadership. Forces loyal to Lentol need to be notified. I don't wish to be callous and unfeeling, but starting the enquiry into Falentha's death is not the priority."

Gral'hilanth's death was personal, which made it a priority to Garin; however, the Rivelor was in charge. "Yes, sir."

The Rivelor looked around the room. "We will secure this suite," she said as if by way of concession to Garin. "Have the Security Chief begin gathering evidence. We will make ourselves available for statements; however, our first order of business is to notify the ranking officer in the Kalenth system that the Bren has been defeated."

"That would be Aloyd, First-Class Oalanic ap Falentha – Gral'hilanth's father. He commands the Bulwark Striker Group." Garin exchanged a knowing look with the Rivelor.

"We should have him come to the Relentless to brief him personally on the situation."

Garin nodded.

"Situation?" asked Tehvay sharply. "I wouldn't call telling him his daughter is dead a 'briefing on the situation'."

"Yes, of course." The Rivelor looked somewhat embarrassed.

As a soldier herself, Garin knew the Rivelor was talking about the arrest of the Bren.

The Rivelor fixed her gaze on Garin and said, "So we can inform him about the Bren's arrest and his daughter in person," Karthen said.

Garin was astonished by how accepting Rivelor Karthen was of Tehvay's rebuke. This was not the same 'Aloyd, First-Class Kikola ap Karthen straight out of the military academy' that she served under on the Sword. That person was strictly by the book. This was all together a different kind of person – a different kind of leader.

"I will contact him and arrange it," Garin said.

Karthen looked Garin up and down. "Then maybe you should take the time to freshen up, Commodore."

Garin looked down at her hands. Wounds caused by IPB blasts tended not to bleed much, but Gral'hilanth had been shot in the chest at fairly close range, so there was more blood than normal. Without thinking, Garin had got blood on her hands when she knelt down to examine the body. She tried removing the blood by wiping them down her trouser legs, but the blood had already dried.

"With your permission, Rivelor, I will call Aloyd Falentha from my quarters."

"Granted."

Garin took the lift just outside the suite and went directly to her private quarters one floor down. She debated whether to take a shower and change before calling Aloyd Falentha, but the Rivelor's orders were clear.

The holographic face of a man, whose balding head was ringed with greying hair was projected over Garin's desk.

"Commodore Eadmon, what can I do for you?"

"Sir, I request that you come aboard the Relentless. Priority One."

Falentha remained silent for a while before speaking. "It is not usual for a commodore to issue a Priority One command to an aloyd."

"No, sir, I realise that." Garin's mind rushed to find an excuse. "I have the Bren on board. The command for you to come here came from the top." She was pleased that neither statement was a lie.

"The Bren couldn't ask me herself?"

"She is otherwise detained. I was ordered—"

"Very well," Falentha interrupted her with a sigh. "I shall be there in… forty minutes."

"Thank you, sir. Out."

She pressed the button again to call the Rivelor and inform her of Aloyd Falentha's arrival. As she signed off for the second time, she noticed her hands had started to tremble. The rush of adrenalin was wearing off. She went into the bathroom, stripped off her uniform, and welcomed the hot water soaking her skin. She was expecting to see rivers of blood draining away when her eyes drifted downward, but the water looked clean. Is that it? she thought. Gral'hilanth dead, the Bren captured, and it's all simply washed away.

~~~~

Kikola was waiting in the Aloyd's ready room, along with Tehvay and Captain Wurth when Commodore Eadmon entered the room, followed by a middle-aged man wearing the dark grey uniform and the reversed 'C' with three over-bars insignia of an Aloyd, First-Class.

The aloyd stopped just inside the threshold, the shock evident on his face. Clearly, he had not been told in advance with whom he was having this meeting. He turned to the commodore. "What is the meaning of this?"

Kikola stepped forward to greet him. "Welcome Aloyd Falentha, I am—"

"I know who you are," he said curtly. "What are you doing here?"

"It is customary to salute a superior officer," Captain Wurth reminded the aloyd from his position to Kikola's right.

"Superior?"

"Kikola ap Karthen is the Rivelor," Kikola's adjutant replied.

The Aloyd, First-Class stood tight-jawed. Kikola knew what he was thinking by the subtle movement of his eyes. He feels trapped. I need to put him at ease. The thought surprised Kikola. A year ago, she wouldn't have cared if anyone felt at ease talking to her. In fact, it benefitted her if they were uneasy.

"Under the circumstances, we can forego protocol, Captain," said Kikola.

She settled into the chair behind the desk. "Please be seated. I will answer all your questions," said Kikola, pointing to one of the chairs in front of the desk.

"I would rather stand," he replied tersely.

Kikola had hoped that by being cordial, Aloyd Falentha would feel less threatened. She was wrong. A new approach to military leadership wouldn't work while there are those stuck in the old ways, she thought. "Sit, stand, it makes no difference to me." She stood in one quick fluid movement and leaned towards him, resting her hands on the desk. "I am your superior and you will show me the respect I am owed."

That got through to him, but not completely. "I do not salute enemies."

Kikola came around the desk and approached the aloyd. "I am not your enemy."

The aloyd turned to Commodore Eadmon. "Why have I been summoned with a Priority One order and where is the Bren?"

Kikola answered him. "Ambra ap Lentol has been arrested."

"By whose authority?"

"Mine, as Rivelor."

The aloyd looked to Eadmon. "Is this true?"

"Yes, sir," she replied.

Aloyd Falentha's shoulders slumped. "Am I to be arrested as well, then?"

"No," Kikola assured him. "You were just following her orders. Now you follow my orders."

He stood taller again. "I pledged an oath to The Kalenth Hegemony and the Bren, not you. You cannot order me to do anything."

"As a matter of fact, I can order you to do anything," said Kikola. "I have Ambra ap Lentol in custody. I am claiming control of the Hegemony and victory in this conflict. As ranking aloyd in the Kalenth system, I expect you to pledge your support for me and order all ships to stand down from engaging in further conflict with ASD forces."

"You mean surrender."

"No." Kikola relaxed her posture to seem less confrontational. "I want an end to the hostilities. I want to reunite the Elit and unite all Hegemony citizens. I can only do that if we start working together—now. Are you with me, Aloyd?"

He stood there in silence for several moments with a pensive look on his face, and then snapped to attention. "Yes, Rivelor. You have my support. However, I have no authority to issue such an order. That would have to come from the commanding officer of the Core sector, Supreme-Aloyd Rolin ap Morgach, and he will need authority from Military Operations."

"Very well, get Morgach on the comm," Kikola replied.

"Forgive me," Tehvay interrupted. "Before you do that, I think he should be told," she said to Kikola.

"Yes, you are right."

Kikola paused trying to think of the right words. Commodore Eadmon must have taken it as a sign she should tell him, or maybe she was frustrated by the pause.

"Aloyd Falentha, your daughter—"

"Commodore." The word was spoken clearly without inflection. "It is my responsibility." Eadmon acknowledged the Rivelor and stepped back, allowing Kikola to continue. "Aloyd Falentha, I have news about your daughter."

There was an almost imperceptible reaction. "I assume she has been arrested," he said.

"I regret to inform you that your daughter is dead."

He continued looking forward without so much as a blink. Finally, he glanced at the Rivelor and asked, "How? Was she executed?"

"She was killed helping us."

"Helping you?" The aloyd looked confused.

"It's true, sir," Commodore Eadmon replied. "She and I were helping the Rivelor take Bren Lentol into custody when Gral'hilanth was shot by my first officer, Commander Peamertin," said Eadmon.

Falentha wheeled on the commodore. "You couldn't have told me this when you asked me to come here?"

"I ordered her not to," said Kikola. "You deserved to be told in person."

With no counterargument to that, the aloyd lowered his head.

Kikola gave him a moment and then said, "I am sure you would like to take possession of her body so you can make the appropriate arrangements."

Aloyd Falentha raised his head and squared his shoulders. "No," he replied without emotion.

Tehvay stepped away from behind the desk, where she had positioned herself when the meeting began, and moved to Kikola's left side. "Aloyd Falentha. My name is Tehvay, Tehvay Veilan."

Aloyd Falentha offered no acknowledgement, but that did not deter Tehvay. "If anyone would want to see your daughter rot at the bottom of a pit, it would be me. She killed my sister. But I am here to tell you that in the end, your daughter acted honourably and not only helped us capture Ambra, and put a stop to her reign of tyranny, but she sacrificed her life saving mine."

Tehvay took a step towards Gral'hilanth's father. "Before she died, I forgave your daughter. She deserves—"

The aloyd finally broke his silence. "I too forgave my daughter when she came back. Her mother did not. I don't wish to put further strain on my relationship with my wife. She will see it as just another failure on Gral'hilanth's part." He turned to Kikola. "Dispose of the body as you see fit, and leave us to mourn her in our own way."

Tehvay opened her mouth to say something, then thought better of it and returned to her position behind Kikola.

With nothing more that could be said on the subject of Gral'hilanth's death, Kikola changed the subject. "I don't wish to seem callous, but there are more pressing issues at stake right now. We need to order the Hegemony Military to stand down."

Aloyd Falentha turned back to Kikola and nodded. He contacted Supreme-Aloyd Morgach and informed him of the Bren's arrest and the Rivelor's order to the Hegemony Military to cease hostilities.

The holographic image of Aloyd Morgach seemed sceptical. "Let me speak to the Rivelor."

Kikola stepped into the comm's scanner range. "Supreme-Aloyd Morgach, this is Rivelor Kikola ap Karthen. It is true. I have defeated Ambra ap Lentol, and by doing so claim leadership of the Hegemony."

Morgach was silent for a long time. Kikola could see him weighing the outcome of his next potential action. "I do not have all day," she said. "If you don't comply with the request for an end to hostilities, more people will die for an already lost cause. I have Lentol in custody. Prolonging the fight will not change that."

"Very well, Rivelor. What are your orders?" said Morgach with resolve.

To Kikola, the supreme-aloyd looked secretly relieved. He wouldn't give up that easily if he weren't. "I want you to broadcast a statement from me to all ships, bases, and planetary garrisons to cease hostilities with Arai Soon Dukwelud forces, effective immediately and await further orders. Also, I want you to grant Aloyd Oalanic ap Falentha the authority to speak on your behalf. I plan to make a statement before The Council of Administration. It would be better to have the military representative there in person."

"I will need permission from Military Operations before I do any of that."

Still wanting to do things by the book, she thought. "That was Lentol. She is in custody," Kikola replied. "I am Military Operations now, and I am giving you permission."

Morgach, gave a nod of agreement. "The statement, Rivelor. Do you have any particular wording you wish me to convey?"

Kikola inserted a data chip into the comm's console. "I am sending it now. If you have any issues with it, we can discuss them."

Morgach perused it quickly. "It all looks in order."

"Then broadcast it."

Kikola stood next to Falentha as Morgach broadcast the statement on a military-wide priority channel. Almost immediately, confirmations started arriving that the orders were understood and being complied with.

"Congratulations," said Morgach. "Aloyd Falentha, you have my authority to speak on behalf of the military before the Council."

"Thank you, sir," Falentha acknowledged.

Kikola's next step was to contact Aloyd Willenth and have him notify the Elit families in exile, while she notified the Council.

~~~~

Despite having been in orbit of Kalenth for several hours, Kikola's first view of her home planet came when her shuttle left the Relentless. After she and Tehvay fled into exile on Trengos, Kikola had resigned herself to never returning to Kalenth. Now, not only were they returning, they were returning to form a new government in the aftermath of Ambra's overthrow.

As the shuttle entered the upper atmosphere, Kikola felt Tehvay take her hand, and in a soft voice she whispered, "Does it look the same?"

Kikola turned from the window. "It looks the same, but everything feels different. I wish the others could be here to share this moment with us." Kikola's mother Mariantha, Aloyd Willenth, and the Scowses were en route and would be joining them in two days.

The pilot's voice drifted from the comm, informing them that they were about to land. The touchdown was soft, and the shuttle hissed and hummed as it came to rest. Rikana quickly released the safety restraints and stood up. She was wearing the Hegemony military's dark-green combat uniform minus the bright ribbons and hand painting. Kikola thought it suited her, but refrained from mentioning it.

"Just let them try something," said Rikana. She patted her weapon as if it were a pet.

"Make sure that thing is set to stun," said Wurth, moving to stand next to her.

Kikola turned to Tehvay. "Ready?"

"As I'll ever be," she replied.

Kikola stood and reached out to open the hatch.

"Rivelor, perhaps I should go out first," said Wurth.

"No, Captain. If I am to do this, I cannot hide behind anyone."

Wurth nodded. "At least allow me to open the hatch."

"By all means," Kikola moved aside and Wurth opened the hatch.

Kikola stepped out and paused at the top of the shuttle's ramp. The enormity of what she was about to undertake threatened to steal the breath from her lungs. She took a deep inhalation of the Kalenth air, gave Tehvay's hand one last hopeful squeeze, and then led the procession down the ramp. As she stepped foot onto the tarmac, Aloyd Oalanic ap Falentha and Commodore Garin Eadmon, accompanied by two soldiers, headed towards her from a nearby control building. The Aloyd and Commodore came to a halt and crisply saluted in unison, the two soldiers snapped to attention.

"Welcome, Rivelor," Aloyd Falentha said.

She returned their salute, and that was the extent of the pageantry for this momentous occasion. "Thank you, Aloyd Falentha, Commodore Eadmon. Report," Kikola replied.

"I have notified the Bren's husband of her arrest," said Aloyd Falentha. "I have also dispatched a unit of guards to detain him, and the household, under house arrest for the time being. I have also contacted Lentol's parents on Edalcim; they were not surprised by the news. I have notified the garrison on Edalcim to put them under house arrest also."

"Good. We will debrief Lentol's family as soon as possible," Kikola replied. "Commodore?"

"Commander Eadmon, with a security detail from the Relentless, landed an hour ago and immediately escorted Lentol and Commander Peamertin to a detention facility here on the grounds of The Civic."

"Very well, Commodore, I would like you to coordinate with the person in charge of the detention facility. Have the prisoners transferred to the high security facility near Ralkatar. Two ASD heavy cruisers are due to arrive later today with four hundred soldiers in support. Until then, we will need to increase security here using soldiers from the Relentless."

"Yes, sir. I will issue the order."

"Good."

Just then a squad of soldiers, led by Corporal Tunbor and Private Raal, approached them escorting a group of Council members. One of the Council members, a woman Kikola did not recognise, stepped forward.

"Uncle," she addressed Aloyd Falentha. "What is going on? These soldiers said that the Bren has been usurped."

"The Rivelor has defeated the Bren and taken control of all military forces. She requires the confirmation of the Council," said the aloyd. He turned to Kikola. "Apologies, Rivelor, this is my niece, Councillor Ill'sandreth Corsina ap Falentha."

"Do you act for the Council?" Kikola asked her.

She looked around at the dozen or so Council members present who nodded their assent. "It would appear so."

"Good. I want a meeting of The Council of Administration convened immediately. Those that are not here in person can connect via vid. I also want news broadcast cameras there. I will be making an announcement that Lentol has been removed from power. I will need a representative from the Council," she looked briefly from the Council member to Aloyd Falentha, "as well as the military, to make the announcement with me."

"Is this a military coup?" asked the councillor. "Are we replacing the Bren with a military dictator?"

"No. We will go somewhere private where I can brief you on the details of what I wish you to say. If you are agreeable to say it, that is."

"What if I am not? Am I to be executed and you ask the next councillor?"

"Executed? No," Kikola assured her. "I will ask another Council member if you do not wish to do it. No one will be executed. You have my word."

"Ill'sandreth, listen to the Rivelor. Your cousin Gral'hilanth is dead. She was helping the Rivelor oust Lentol. A supporter of Lentol killed her."

Ill'sandreth reacted calmly to the news about her cousin and accepted the situation. She returned to her colleagues, asked another councillor to call a Council meeting, and re-joined Kikola and the aloyd.

Corporal Tunbor stepped forward. "We've cleared out the new Council offices," she said, indicating a tower that had not been there the last time Kikola had visited The Civic. "The Bren's office is on the top floor. That will be a good place to talk."

"Very good." Kikola turned to Aloyd Falentha and Councillor Falentha. "After you." 

Tehvay, Rikana, Captain Wurth, Corporal Tunbor, and Private Raal joined Kikola, and together the group silently walked towards the towering edifice. Rikana finally broke the silence. "It looks like a lexakuk," she said, referring to their destination.

Kikola heard a brief, stifled laugh from Tehvay. Kikola knew what the word meant from spending time with Rikana; she wanted to know how Tehvay knew the meaning. Probably from Rikana, she surmised. I will have to speak to her again about her ribald language now that we are on Kalenth.

"A what?" asked Aloyd Falentha.

"Nothing," said Kikola.

"She means an erotic stimulator," said Ill'sandreth. "She's right, it does look like one."

Kikola saw the aloyd blush and wondered how Ill'sandreth knew what Rikana had said. Corporal Tunbor said something to Rikana that caused the young woman to cackle. Kikola stopped and looked back. Tunbor came to a sudden halt and stood to attention. Rikana stood there with her shoulders slouched, and rolled her eyes. "This is not the time for levity," said Kikola. "Save it for later."

"The levity or the lexakuk?" asked Rikana.

Kikola could see Tunbor was doing her best not to laugh, but the gaze from the Rivelor was enough to silence the corporal. "Both." Kikola turned and continued towards the tower.

~~~~

Boran poured over stacks of invoices and shipping manifests piled all around the lounge's table that he was using as his office. It meant business was booming, but it also meant a lot of clerical work that Boran hated. He was feeling Tremothen and Marleen's absence even more keenly, because they usually handled the accounting and filing.

He laid the electronic papers down on the table and picked up a full cup of tea. It was cold. Boran remembered going over to the food dispenser to get it. When was that? He glanced at the chronometer. An hour ago! Boran was shocked that an hour had gone by. He needed to take a break, so he put the cup down and looked out at the sweeping view of verdant, tree-covered mountains about five kilometres away. The view was nice, some might even say picturesque, but to Boran it felt wrong. He was used to looking down on barren rocks and desert, not up at trees and mountains.

"You're spending too much time on this ship."

The words jolted Boran from his reverie. He looked up at his daughter.

"It's not as warm as Shibato," Tana continued. "But the fresh air will do you good."

"I get out," he said. It should have been a more forceful protest but he lacked the energy.

Tana approached his desk. Boran observed that his daughter moved the way her mother would move – like a predator on the hunt. Thoughts of his ex-wife would surface from time to time, but he never discussed them with Tana. He tried to recall when they last had a conversation about her.

"Do you ever contact your mother?" he asked.

"Why bring her up now?"

"Just wondering. We never talk about her."

"That's because talk of her gets under your skin," Tana replied.

She did that all right, thought Boran. His ex-wife, Torrina, had started out as a good friend. Sleeping with her had been the biggest mistake of his life. It had complicated things and destroyed a beautiful friendship. The marriage had been short and tempestuous. If she wasn't sleeping with other men, he was. Finding out she was pregnant was the start of the worst few months of his life. Despite the affairs, he was the father, and he hoped it could be a new start for the two of them. Torrina had other ideas of a new start, which included ways to make his life hell. Things didn't improve after the baby was born. When Torrina finally left him, taking the newborn Tana with her, he secretly breathed a sigh of relief. When she turned up seven years later and left Tana with him, he had hoped she was leaving the best part of her. However, she had left the worst – a miniature version of herself. Her final salvo in the war between them.

Tana had been difficult for Boran to manage, but Torrina had disappeared from the Spur, and he felt duty bound to care for his daughter. Over the years they had found a way to cope with each other. Their shared love of money helped.

"So, do you contact her?" he asked again.

Tana shook her head. "She's probably dead."

"Why do you say that?"

"Despite what you think, she didn't dump me on you to spite you. She was running and wanted me somewhere safe."

"Why didn't you ever say anything before?"

"Because you didn't like talking about her, and neither did I."

Boran let out a hollow chuckle. "We're a right pair."

"Yeah," she agreed. "A right pair with a business to run." She dumped a piece of electronic paper on the table in front of him.

Boran picked it up and started scrolling through the content. "Offices?"

"Yes. I thought we could start small. There's a building not far from here with space to rent. And there's also this." She placed another piece of electronic paper on top of the first one.

"These are…" he looked up at her.

"You might want to spend all your time in this ship, but I don't." Tana tapped the paper. "This one has potential. It already has planning permission for building on the land. We can build an office there. It won't be Shibato, but it'll be home."

Shortly after arriving on Trengos, Boran had given some thought about finding somewhere to live – either an existing property or having one built. However, the conflict in the Hegemony made him put off that decision. He was reluctant to put down roots on Trengos just yet.

"So, you're saying you want to stay here permanently?" he asked.

"That is exactly what I am saying." Tana leaned on the table. "Back there we were a small fish in a big pond. Here, we can be the biggest fish. And if Karthen is successful, who knows, we could be better placed to corner the import/export market share with the Hegemony from here. We'll make a fortune that even I can't spend."

"You've got it all figured out," Boran said.

"One of us has to."

He hated to admit it, but Tana was right. She had a head for business and seeing the potential in new opportunities. "Maybe you're right. I promise I'll study your proposal and get back to you."

Tana folded her arms. "When?"

"Soon," Boran replied coyly.

Any further negotiations with Tana on the subject were interrupted by his comm. Boran was pleased to see the image of a man with bright red hair being projected.

"Tremothen! I didn't expect to hear from you on this comm channel," said Boran. "Is everything all right?"

Marleen's image appeared next to her husband. "We have news. The fighting is over. Lentol has been captured!"

Boran was elated. "That is very good news! Where are you? Can you tell me?"

"Now we can," replied Tremothen.

"We are on our way to Kalenth," Marleen explained.

"Is Tehvay with you?"

The married couple exchanged a glance. "No, not at the moment," replied Tremothen.

Boran felt a sudden sinking in his chest. "Is there something wrong with Tehvay? Was she hurt?"

"Tehvay is fine," said Marleen.

"Then what is it?"

Again, there was a look between Tremothen and Marleen. Boran knew the couple well enough to know when they had unpleasant news to tell him.

"Tell me, what has happened?"

Marleen sighed. "It's Hila."

"Gral'hilanth, actually," Tremothen corrected her.

She shot a look at her husband and continued. "I'm afraid she's dead."

Boran had no words. As much as he despised what she had become, he had a great fondness for the person he'd known as 'Hila' all those years. "How?"

"She was involved in Ambra's capture," Marleen explained. "She defected to our side to help us."

"Really?" Boran asked in disbelief. "The 'Gral'hilanth' I met had only one thing on her mind, and that was killing Karthen. What changed?"

"That is a long story," said Tremothen. "For the moment, we can tell you that she was instrumental in helping Kikola capture Ambra."

"How did she die?"

"Someone pulled a weapon during Lentol's capture. Hila… Gral'hilanth jumped in front," Marleen explained.

"Jumped in front? I don't understand."

"She took the hit," Tremothen said.

Marleen clarified. "She saved Tehvay's life."

Boran felt the weight of the news lighten knowing that in the end, Hila gave her life to save Tehvay. "Take care of whatever is needed for, you know, the arrangements."

"Will do, though nothing has been decided yet that we know of," replied Marleen.

Boran observed Tremothen's projected image glance past his wife's shoulders and heard the sound of voices in the background. "Look, we have to go," said Tremothen. "We just thought you would want to know."

Marleen sounded like she was talking to someone. "Sure, we'll tell him. Mariantha sends her regards."

Boran smiled. "Thank her and pass my regards on to her."

Marleen returned his smile. "Will do."  

Tremothen added, "As soon as we meet up with Tehvay, we'll have her call you."

"Thanks, you two," Boran replied. "For everything."

When the call finished, he found himself looking across the desk to Tana. He could see on her face what she was thinking, just as he knew she could tell what he was thinking.

"You're going back," she said.

Boran nodded. "I can re-establish my business back in the Hegemony."

"No. You're going back for Tehvay." Tana walked around the desk. "I'm staying. But you knew that."

"If I ever get the business up and running again, we can lockdown both sides of the border."

Tana smiled sadly.

"Will you reconsider…?" Boran gave up on what he was going to say.

"This is my chance to make something for myself," replied Tana. "Trengos Logistics is doing well, and is getting more business every week. The independent freighter pilots already trust us. Businesses on Trengos trust us. There's a solid future here."

"But alone," Boran pointed out.

"When was the last time we did anything together? Just you and me as a family, not related to business?"

"When did you grow up?" Boran smiled.

Tana tilted her head towards the window. "The temperature is above freezing. The suns are trying to come out." She picked up the land specs she had put in front of her father earlier. "Do you want to come with me to go look at this property?"

"I can't think of anything more important that needs to be done right now," Boran said.

"Except telling Tehvay's parents," Tana replied.

"What am I going to do without you?"

~~~~

Kikola stood at the dais in front of the hastily called Council assembly. There were dozens of empty seats in front of her, partly due to Ambra having culled the membership of the Council and partly due to there being no meeting scheduled for that day. The councillors not in attendance were linked via vid, as were her mother and Aloyd Willenth from the Fearless. A news broadcast camera was set up in front of the dais to televise her address Hegemony-wide. She closed her eyes in the space of a breath. When she opened them again, she looked into the camera and spoke."I am Kikola Mariantha Jacand ap Karthen, the Rivelor. I come before you today to inform you that Bren Ambra ap Lentol has been defeated." She turned to her left to look at Aloyd Falentha. She stepped back as he stepped forward.

"I am Aloyd, First-Class Oalanic Andor ap Falentha, commanding officer of the Bren's forces in the Kalenth system. Speaking under the authority of Supreme-Aloyd Rolin ap Morgach and the Office of Military Operations, I confirm that the Bren has been defeated and arrested. A command has been sent to all forces loyal to the Bren that they are to stand down from conflict with the forces of the Arai Soon Dukwelud, effective immediately. I am repeating that command here. Ground forces are to return to their local garrisons. Fleet ships are to head to the nearest military base, declare themselves, and await further instruction."

Falentha stepped back, and Kikola stepped forward and spoke again. "You have my word that no forces loyal to the Bren will be harmed if they co-operate with these instructions. This civil war is at an end. All military personnel will have the choice to pledge allegiance to the new regime or resign. There will be no recriminations against anyone. It is time to move forward with a new Hegemony."

Next, the Council representative stepped up to the dais and spoke. "I am Councillor Ill'sandreth Corsina ap Falentha. I acknowledge that Ambra ap Lentol has been taken into custody and any conflict with opposing forces is at an end. The Council of Administration recognises the authority of Rivelor Kikola Mariantha Jacand ap Karthen as leader of The Kalenth Hegemony."

Kikola stepped forward one more time.

"An interim government will be appointed with myself as Cyfredol." The title Cyfredol hadn't been used in centuries for a leader; it was generally used for political spokesperson.

Kikola hoped it would have better success than the last resurrected title, Bren. "After the transition period, elections will be held and I will step down. The exact detail of these elections, format of the new government, and length of the transition are yet to be determined, but new laws will immediately be put in place limiting the power of any individual or group.

"I assure you this will not be a continuation of Ambra ap Lentol's misrule. Any decision of the interim government, and any future government will have to be ratified by the Council. However, certain emergency measures and important changes will need to be enacted as soon as possible, for which Council ratification will be sought in retrospect.

"The first measure is the phasing out of slavery. The Slave Registration Board will be tasked to return all slaves to a slave hostel or suitable location, whereupon they will be retrained to become full members of society. Owners will be compensated at the current market value. In the meantime, all slaves are to remain where they are and given shelter and food by their owners. Any missing or mistreated slave will incur a penalty for the owner.

"Secondly, the Elit children taken by the Bren will be returned to their families as soon as is practical."

"Details of the further measures will be announced in the coming days. I urge all citizens to remain calm and proceed with things as normal. For any Elit in hiding, it is safe for you to return home.

"The new Hegemony will become what the original founders intended," Kikola continued. "They believed in five guiding principles: Dothi, Cyfaw, Cydra, Fynia, Cymda. Wisdom, Justice, Equality, Prosperity, Society. Through Wisdom comes Justice; through Justice comes Equality; through Equality comes Prosperity; through Prosperity comes Society.

"We have gained wisdom and brought the war to an end. We will strive for justice for those who commit crimes against the Hegemony, and not for revenge. We ask for equality of treatment for all members of society. If we can attain these, then we will have prosperity. We will flourish and grow into a better society for all.

"It will be a hard road. We not only have a lot to learn, but we have a lot to unlearn. However, if we do it together, we will get there, and we will be better for it."

Kikola paused. The faces of the Council members before her were blank, unreadable. She could only wonder how the people watching were reacting.

"Sixteen hundred years ago my forebears started something that ultimately failed. I am putting right the wrongs so that in sixteen hundred years' time, or even sixteen thousand years' time, our descendants can say that we got it right this time. Thank you."

Captain Wurth instructed a technician to turn the camera off as Kikola stepped off the dais. She disregarded the muted reaction from those councillors assembled and joined her entourage, Tehvay, Rikana, and her adjutant. They were standing near a desk with its comm vid display projecting the image of Mariantha ap Karthen and Aloyd Willenth.

"How do you think it went?" Kikola asked the group.

Tehvay glanced out at the councillors at their desks. "Under the circumstances, I think it went well."

"Well, they didn't throw things at you, that's a good sign," Rikana observed with a note of sarcasm.

Kikola's mother chimed in. "It was well-received by those Elit families that have communicated with us."

Having broken away from one of the groups of councillors, Aloyd Falentha approached with his niece Ill'sandreth.

"How do you think the speech was received?" Kikola asked them.

"I can only speak for the Military," the aloyd said, "and they are prepared to follow the orders of the Rivelor, whatever they are."

Kikola was glad to hear that. "What about the Council?" she asked Ill'sandreth.

The Council member for the Falentha family replied, "I have just spoken to several of my colleagues in attendance and a few on conference vid, and they were just relieved to hear that their children would be returned. Otherwise, I think they are all in shock, because no one made a comment about the abolishment of slavery."

"Will they support me as Cyfredol?"

"Yes," Ill'sandreth confirmed.

Kikola thought she detected a tiny hesitation from the councillor.

"Forgive me," said Tehvay. "I do not think you are telling the whole truth."

Kikola turned to Tehvay. Of course, Tehvay would have picked up on it, Kikola thought. She felt proud that Tehvay had the strength to speak up about it.

Ill'sandreth bristled at the admonishment. "When the dust settles, some may have disagreement. I think at the moment they are judging the wisdom of raising their voices in opposition."

"I can assure you I expect opposition and will listen to objections," Kikola replied. "However, there will be some hard decisions I will insist go through for the good of all, even if it means the Elit may be disadvantaged."

"Like ending Slavery?"

"Yes," confirmed Kikola.

"They will support you as Cyfredol, but they are not going to just go along with your policies like they did with the Bren, is all I can say."

"That is all I can ask. What should we do first?" Kikola asked.

"I suggest you recall all councillors to The Civic to vote to make it official," replied Ill'sandreth.

"You will need to review all of Ambra's edicts and have them annulled, including the status of the Elits that did not side with her," Mariantha's image reminded her daughter. "I can help facilitate this in the courts when I arrive."

"We should meet with the Director of the Slave Registration Board to discuss an implementation plan," Tehvay offered.

Kikola glanced at Tehvay and could see fatigue etched on her face. "I think it has been a very long day for us all. We will start fresh in the morning."

"Then, with your permission, we will take our leave," Aloyd Falentha said.

Kikola replied, "Yes, of course, and thank you both for your support."

The aloyd and councillor departed, leaving only Kikola, Tehvay, Rikana, Commodore Eadmon, Captain Wurth, and Commander Eadmon, who had re-joined the group.

"So, do we move in down here or stay on the Relentless?" asked Rikana. "You know, for safety."

That was something to which Kikola had not given much thought. "We will stay on the Relentless for tonight." She turned to the vid screen with Mariantha's image. "Mother, was the family's Ralkatar estate destroyed by Ambra?"

"As far as I know, it is still there."

"Good." Kikola turned to Tehvay and said, "We will go there tomorrow, and if it's still habitable, we will move in there – at least temporarily."

"Will there be room for Tremothen and Marleen to stay with us once they arrive?" asked Tehvay.

"What about me?" Rikana asked.

"There are two small cottages in the grounds," Kikola replied. "The Scowses can have one and you can have one."

"A small estate with small cottages on the grounds?" Rikana queried. "I'm getting a feeling of… what's the word? Ah, yes! Small! My flat on Trengos was small. I've spent the last couple of months in cramped quarters on a ship or at the base. Now that we've won, I was hoping for something, you know, un-small."

Kikola smiled. "By Elit standards it is small. I am sure you will find it acceptable."

Rikana cackled. "We'll see."

As the attending Council members filed out of the chamber, Kikola bade goodbye to her mother and ended the comm connection. A warm arm encircled Kikola's waist, and she leaned into Tehvay's body. Their immediate future was going to be hectic. Their long-term future was probably going to be the same. She was not looking forward to it, but as long as the future included Tehvay, Kikola would be happy.

~~~~

Boran watched the Trengosian suns set from the restaurant in the foothills overlooking Dansek City. During the short winter day, the city seemed dull and grey; at night it sparkled like a sea of jewels. The blue-white lights of the major roads formed a skeleton off which hung the yellow-orange sinews of the side roads that supported a multitude of many coloured dots - the houses and buildings that gave the city life. He watched the red dot of a transport rise from the spaceport and disappear into the clouds.

That will be me soon, he thought.

Reflections in the window caught his attention and he turned to greet his guests. The hostess who showed them to the table relieved them of their coats.

Pallin stepped forward to shake his hand. "Thank you for inviting us," he said.

"Thank you for coming," replied Boran.

Tehvay's father was dressed in a simple black suit. It's the one he wore to Trujilon's funeral. It's probably his only suit, thought Boran as he considered his own choice of a dark-purple suit with blood-red lining.

Asta Veilan was wearing a light beige dress with gold trim. Regal, but understated, Boran concluded. The couple were not ones to draw attention to themselves, unlike the two young women who accompanied them.

Ellovene wore a cobalt blue dress with a silver thread criss-cross pattern that shimmered in the low lighting of the restaurant. It was cut in the popular Trengosian fashion among the young from right hip to left ankle, and accentuated her dark skin.

The biggest surprise was Jenissa. Boran was used to seeing her in ruffles and frills. Her dress was plain white, as pale as her skin. It was sleek and featureless, covering her from breast to mid-thigh. Perhaps the biggest shock was her hair: the golden curls had gone. In their place was hair as straight and pale as the dress.

"Jenissa, you look… your hair."

Jenissa turned her smile up a notch. "A new me for my new life."

"It suits you." He turned to Ellovene. "And you look magnificent."

"You old charmer," Ellovene teased.

"Ah, but the cream on top," he said, turning to Asta, "If your husband wasn't here I would… be equally as enamoured."

Asta blushed at the compliment.

"Sit!" Boran gestured to the table with a wide sweep of his arm. "We'll have some drinks first." He signalled a server who handed out the drinks menus and took a pace back.

"Is your daughter not joining us?" asked Asta.

"No, she… well, first of all she's not leaving. She's staying behind to run the business - her business. And secondly she's not one for social gatherings."

"I am going to start a business," announced Jenissa.

"Really?"

"Yes. Not right away. I have enrolled in some business courses starting in a couple of months' time."

"That's wonderful," said Boran.

"Ell has been a great help. She aided me with the enrolment, and when I get my business started, she can come and work for me."

"Well, let's take things one step at a time," said Ellovene.

"You said you would like to work with me?"

"I did. And I do. It's just you need to get through the courses, set up a business, get customers, and be earning enough to pay me."

"Oh, Ellovene." Asta gave the young woman a nudge. "You are always so cautious." She turned to Boran. "Ever since I met her, Ellovene wanted things planned out in detail before going ahead. I remember we took her with us on a day trip once. She wanted to know what time we were leaving. And what time we would be back. What transport we were catching. What the times of later transports were in case we missed it. Were we taking food or buying food out? How much money she should take?"

"I wasn't that bad!" Ellovene retorted with a laugh.

"It always pays to be somewhat cautious and have a back-up plan," said Boran.

"Thank you!" Ellovene leaned across the table and patted his arm.

During the first course, the conversation centred on the progress of the former slaves from the Fearless.

"How are the ex-slaves from the Fearless doing?" asked Boran. "Are they adjusting to their new life?"

"We prefer to call them refugees," replied Pallin. "All thirteen are in retraining programmes."

"A few of them are having some trouble adjusting. They are getting counselling," Asta added.

"Well, I have set up a trust account in your name so you can continue to help the refugees with whatever they might need." Boran went into his suit jacket pocket, pulled out a data chip, and passed it to the Veilans. "The account codes and balances are on this chip.

Pallin picked up the chip. "Thank you."

"Yes, thank you Boran," said Asta, "for all you have done to help them."

"I know they are in very capable hands," replied Boran. "I also have something for you personally. Shares in Trengos Logistics. It's Tana's business, but I have a forty percent share. I'm giving you each a five percent share. It'll pay a dividend twice a year. Something that you can use to treat yourselves." He pushed a second chip towards the Veilans.

Pallin looked down at the table. "That is very generous of you, but our incomes provide for the necessities and Yuniph's death benefit leaves us something for retirement." He pushed the chip back.

Boran put his fork down and pushed the data chip back towards the Veilans. "You are like family, and I take care of family. So please make an old, I mean a reasonably middle-aged man happy and accept it. Use it however you see fit. Maybe use it to come visit Tehvay one day."

That made both the Veilans smile, and they thanked him again for his generosity.

Boran reached into his pocket and took out another data chip and slid it towards Jenissa and Ellovene. "And here is one for the two of you – five percent each. You can use the money to help pay for school and to get your business up and running."

"Thank you!" they both said enthusiastically.

As the plates were cleared away and the second course brought out, Boran asked Jenissa more about the business she wanted to start.

"Fashion Design and Trends forecasting," the young woman replied.

"If you need any business advice, speak to Tana. I'll tell her not to charge you for it."

"My thanks," said Jenissa. "For everything," she added. "You've… You have been like an uncle to me. I—I will miss you." She reached out across the table.

Boran smiled and patted her outstretched hand. "I'll take that as a compliment."

Jenissa pulled her hand back and took a sip of the wine served with her meal. "It is true. In fact, all of you at this table have been very kind to me. I know I don't often say how I feel, I appreciate you all treating me like family."

"You must miss your family very much. I know I miss Tehvay," said Asta.

"Yes, I miss my parents and my cousins."

"It's not too late to come back with me," Boran replied.

"No thank you," Jenissa said. "I am not sure I would be welcomed back after my family's public disgrace, because of my relationship with Menari being exposed by that bitch Lentol."

Asta and Pallin had been listening to the conversation and enjoying their meal, but Asta dropped her fork and glanced at her husband at the mention of the name 'Lentol'.

"What is the name of the person?" Asta asked.

"Ambra ap Lentol," said Jenissa.

"Ambra did you say? Are you sure?" asked Pallin.

"I am positive. Ambra is the bitch that ruined my life. She ordered Menari's execution."

Boran noted that even in the dim ambient lighting in the restaurant, Asta and Pallin had gone quite pale.

Eventually Asta turned to face him. "Ambra ap Lentol – was she the one that caused all the problems for Kikola's family? She's the Bren?"

"Yes, I forgot you were owned by the Lentol family." Boran realised that Asta and Pallin had avoided most talk of the happenings in the Hegemony. That was their past – a past they wanted to forget. After Yuniph was killed, they shut themselves out of any conversations about it.

"Then she killed Yuniph?"

"Yes," Boran acknowledged. "You don't need to worry about it. She's been captured. She'll most likely be executed for her crimes."

Pallin bolted out of his chair. "We have to go there," he said.

"Right away," said Asta as she stood.

"Where?" Boran was confused.

"We have to go to Kalenth. We have to stop them!" Asta was clearly agitated.

Boran tried to make them see reason. "By the time you got there, the sentence would have already been carried out."

Pallin was uncharacteristically stern. "Then we have to speak to Tehvay."

"Now!" cried Asta.

 

Chapter 14

Author's Page

Back to the Academy