CHAPTER 3

 

Tehvay peered out of a window at the familiar skyline of Dansek as the transport shuttle carrying her, Rikana, and the thirteen newly freed slaves from the Fearless, made its approach towards the city's spaceport. She waited for the craft to make contact with the surface; instead, the shuttle hovered in a holding pattern about ten metres off the ground. The former slaves seemed unfazed by the delay, but Tehvay knew something was amiss. She glanced at Rikana, hoping for answers.

"I'll go see what the holdup is," said Rikana. She released her harness and headed into the cockpit. A few moments later, she came back into the passenger section. "The arrival of the Heggers caused some delays in departures," she explained. "We have just received permission to land over by Boran's ship." Rikana addressed the other shuttle passengers. "It won't be long. We are just waiting for a passenger ship to depart."

Tehvay watched out the window in fascination as the ship came into view from behind a terminal building. Its huge engines glowed and dust underneath the craft swirled. Then with a roar and seemingly impossible speed, it ascended and disappeared from sight. Once the passenger transport was clear, the shuttle's thrusters engaged, and they crossed the expanse of blackened tarmac to the far side of the spaceport in less than a minute. The shuttle landed near Boran's luxury cruiser and the engines were powered down.

Tehvay released her safety harnesses and stood up. She turned to the ex-slaves who were still seated, awaiting instruction. "We have arrived on Trengos. You may release your harnesses, but please remain seated and wait for further instructions. Thank you."

The eight males and five females wordlessly released their seat restraints and remained in their seats. No one even attempted a glance out a window at their new home. They all remained unflinchingly still.

As soon as the hatch opened, two familiar faces came up the ramp and into the shuttle: her parents, Asta and Pallin.

Tehvay was very happy to see her Ima and Ita, and they her. However, as much as she wanted to embrace her parents warmly, this wasn't the time for homecoming celebrations, so their reunion was subdued. Her parents gave Tehvay and Rikana a brief hug.

"Has everything been arranged?" Tehvay asked.

"Yes," said Asta. "They will be sheltered in temporary accommodations for the time being until more permanent residences can be found."

"Good," Tehvay replied.

"I hope this means you'll be staying," said Asta.

 

"No, Ima, I'm afraid not. We're leaving as soon as possible."

 

"Oh," her father replied with muted disappointment. "We were hoping, given the circumstances, you would be remaining on Trengos with us."

 

Her mother couldn't mask her concern. "Why can't you let Kikola and the others go fight their war and leave you out of it? We've already lost Yuniph. We couldn't bear losing you as well."

 

It was a conversation they'd had before. However, Tehvay couldn't criticise them for trying again. She reached out and touched her mother's arm. "Whether we like it or not, Ima, this is my fight too."

 

Pallin put an arm around his wife. "Just come back," he said to Tehvay. "Whenever that is, just come back."

"I will, Ita." Looking at her mother, Tehvay added, "I promise." And she wrapped her arms around both of them.

"That goes for you too, Rikana." Pallin gave Rikana a hug around her shoulder. "Both of you come back safely."

Rikana shrugged out of his embrace and casually put more space between her and the Veilans. Tehvay knew that the young woman was still not comfortable with expressions of affection.

Tehvay opened up the family circle and addressed the group of ex-slaves. "These are my parents, Asta and Pallin Veilan. They too were once slaves. And they too came to Trengos to start a new life. Now, I want you to go with them, and they will help you get through the customs screening. If you would be so good as to follow them."

"This way, please," said Pallin, and headed for the hatch.

The former slaves climbed to their feet and followed, except for the one who had stepped forward in the hangar on the Fearless.

"Thank you, Tehvay Veilan," he said.

"What's your name?"

"Hadal."

"You're welcome, Hadal. It will be a long hard journey from here, but freedom is worth it."

He cast his eyes downwards. "I… there was a slave I knew. He told me not to dream of freedom. He said freedom was hard. It was better to be told what to do. Was he wrong?"

Tehvay thought for a moment. It was a good question. "He was wrong and right. It is easier to be told what to do, rather than decide for yourself, but it is not better. One day you will understand the freedom you have and embrace it in a way that those who have been free all their lives can't."

He nodded as if he understood.

 

"Good luck," said Tehvay as Hadal followed the rest of the group out.

 

When Tehvay exited the shuttle with Rikana and Captain Wurth, she glanced at the thirteen refugees from the Fearless queued up in front of the customs official. Her gaze was then drawn upwards at the high, grey cloud cover. She shivered at the chill wind. At least it's not raining, she thought. As she was looking up, a smaller transport shuttle descended below the clouds and landed next to their ship. Kikola's here. It made her smile inwardly.

Three figures rounded the front of the shuttle: Kikola, Mariantha, and Aloyd Willenth. Tehvay was about to greet them when she saw Kikola's mother divert towards Asta and Pallin. Unsure of what Mariantha might say, Tehvay followed her. She could see her parents regarded the judge with suspicion when she approached them.

"I wish to offer my sincere condolences for your loss," said Mariantha. "I do not know what it is like to lose a child. I can only imagine the pain you must feel."

"Thank you," said Pallin.

"I must admit I didn't know Yuniph that well," she continued, "however, during the time we spent together on the ship, Yuniph struck me as a fine, upstanding young woman, a credit to you." Mariantha must have sensed Tehvay's presence and looked to her before facing her parents once more. "As is Tehvay. I promise to keep her safe."

"Your words are welcome, and I accept them in the good faith in which you offered them," said Asta. "But words won't bring Yuniph back. Words won't keep Tehvay safe."

Mariantha nodded. "Words are the only things most of us can offer; however, I mean them sincerely. I will leave you in peace."

Tehvay's gaze followed the judge as Mariantha re-joined Aloyd Willenth. It was strange to see the usually formidable woman being so solicitous. Based on her knowledge of Elit, it must have pained Mariantha to do so. Tehvay felt Kikola's warmth behind her before she felt a hand settle on her waist. She reached down and placed her hand over Kikola's. "That was nice of your mother to say those things."

"It was the right thing to say," said Kikola, dropping her hand. "We need to talk to Boran. Are you coming, or are you going to help your parents? I can pick you up later."

"I will join you. Let me just go and say goodbye to them. I will only be a moment or two. I will meet you inside." Tehvay took a deep breath and went to say goodbye to her parents for the second time that day.

~~~~

Boran hurried down the steps and through the hatch. He shivered against the cold as he walked towards the small group of people standing near the two shuttles that had landed next to his cruiser. A short distance away, a customs officer was processing a group of former slaves, helped by Tehvay's parents.

He spotted Tehvay who trotted up to him and gave him a hug. "Good to see you again," he said as she embraced him.

"You too," Tehvay replied. "Thank you for helping with the freed slaves."

"No problem."

From the corner of his eye, he saw Kikola approaching with four others in tow. Kikola introduced the two uniformed men flanking her. "This is Aloyd Gremen Yavip ap Willenth, and a former colleague, Captain Uriel Wurth. Boran Zerbilla, a very good friend."

"Welcome." Boran shook hands with the newcomers. The aloyd seemed open and friendly, the captain a bit more reserved. Boran couldn't help noticing that Wurth was very good looking. If I were ten years younger… maybe fifteen. He dismissed his carnal thoughts and turned to Kikola's mother and smiled. "And welcome back to you."

"Thank you," Mariantha replied cordially.

Boran nodded a greeting at Rikana. He knew the young woman well enough to know she didn't like a fuss made. She nodded in return.

Boran had heard from Tehvay that Tremothen and Marleen were still in the Hegemony, but that was all she said. He turned to Mariantha. "How were Tremothen and Marleen when you left them?" he asked Mariantha.

"They are safe and well in a secret location. They weren't overly happy about being asked to stay behind while we undertook this trip, and not to have any communications with you, but they recognised the need for it." Mariantha shivered. "The climate hasn't improved, I see."

"It is winter in Dansek," Boran offered by way of explanation. "Let's get you out of the elements where we can talk in more comfortable surroundings." He led everyone onto his ship.

They ascended the stairs to the lounge deck. Boran noticed it was starting to look a little worn after the day-to-day use over the last few months. Instead of heading to a table, which could only seat six, he guided his guests to the seating area near an observation window.

Mariantha, Aloyd Willenth, and Captain Wurth sat on a couch with their backs to the window. Kikola and Tehvay sat on another couch facing the window. Rikana kicked off her boots, perched on the arm of the couch, and put her feet on the cushion near Kikola. Boran noted the quick look exchanged between the two, which resulted in Rikana sitting down next to Kikola.

Boran himself settled in an easy chair. As host, he offered his guests refreshments, but Kikola's mother declined for the group. Being the astute businessman, Boran knew this wasn't a social call and there was more to their visit than asking his help with resettling slaves from the Fearless. "Would someone like to fill me in on the whole story of why you are all here?"

"The situation on Kalenth, and in the Hegemony, has deteriorated," Mariantha explained. "The Elit families who did not support Lentol are being persecuted. She has confiscated or destroyed our properties. There have been executions. Most of us managed to escape her purges, and now we are joining forces to oppose her."

"Okay, but how does this involve the three of you?" Boran asked, looking at Kikola, Tehvay, and Rikana.

"I have been asked to lead the resistance against Lentol and her forces," Kikola replied.

"Are you talking about a war?"

"Yes," Aloyd Willenth replied. "We came here to offer overall command and leadership as Rivelor to Aloyd Karthen."

Aloyd Karthen, he thought. How strange to hear her being called that? Boran was surprised at how protective he felt towards Kikola. Since knowing her, he had grown to like her, and even considered her a friend, and not just for Tehvay's sake. "And you accepted?"

"Yes," Kikola replied.

"What about you, Tehvay?"

"How do you mean?"

"Would you go with Kikola or stay here?"

"I will be going with Kikola."

Boran wasn't surprised, but had hoped he could talk her out of it. "Wouldn't you be better off staying here on Trengos with me, with your parents? Let Kikola go back and fight a war – she's trained her whole life for it. You haven't."

"Kikola and I have talked about it," Tehvay replied. "Where she goes, I go. We're a team."

Boran was going to try another tack to persuade her to stay, but Kikola must have read his mind.

"I am sure you know that Tehvay can be a stubborn, single-minded woman when she wants to be," she said.

Boran laughed. "I know what you mean." The smile waned. "Should I go with you?" he asked.

"No," said Kikola. "You are needed here. There are people relying on you, and we might have to rely on you too."

"In what way?"

"You run a haulage business. Is that right?" asked Captain Wurth.

"Yes."

"We will need supplies: food, medicine, weapons," said the captain. "Can you organise that if we need it?"

"Well, yes, normally. I know pilots that can move goods from the Graelands to the Hegemony, and vice versa, and avoid the border patrols. But this is raising the stakes a whole lot higher. They will be entering a war zone."

"It is not as bad as you think," said Willenth. "Lentol is trying to maintain the appearance of normalcy to outsiders. Border patrols, shipping lane patrols – they're all functioning under normal operation. As for it being a war zone…" he paused and glanced at Kikola, who nodded her encouragement for him to continue. "The Hegemony is vast and engagements with Lentol's forces, thus far, have been little more than skirmishes. The vast majority of the population probably do not know there is any armed opposition."

Boran nodded. "Then I guess I could do that."

"Start setting up a support base on Trengos where supplies can be warehoused and transported as needed," Kikola said. "We will contact you with details as and when." She added, "Naturally, you will be compensated for your services."

Boran was a businessman, but he also had a certain amount of pride; after all, these were his friends. He looked to Tehvay, about to refuse any offer of payment.

As if reading his mind, Tehvay said, "You will accept the money, Boran. You have already spent so much to help us and asked for nothing in return. Now it is our time to repay, and we will not let you refuse."

"I know a good deal when I hear one, so I'll shut up," he replied.

Rikana got up and went over to a nearby cabinet and started opening them up, looking for something. "Where do you keep the beer?"

Boran got up and retrieved a container from behind a bar, handing it to the young woman. "Anyone else?"

Everyone else again declined his offer. Boran shrugged and got himself a beer as well. When he returned to the group, Kikola's mother had another request of him. "We also have another way that you may be able to help us," said Mariantha. "Your colleagues, Tremothen and Marleen, would be a great help to us. Perhaps they can remain and assist us with intelligence gathering, logistics, and the like."

Boran finished his beer before responding to her. "I can't speak for them, but knowing Tremothen and Marleen, they will want to help." He put his cup down and turned to Tehvay. "Let them know of my involvement in this enterprise, and that I'm fine with them staying on to help on that end."

"Will do," replied Tehvay.

"Good," said Kikola. "Do you have any other associates who could be of some help to our cause?"

"Is Ilistan still with you?" asked Boran.

Rikana snorted at the mention of the name. "That skeetop. I only met him briefly, and he made me punch him." She furrowed her brow in consternation. "I still feel the need to punch him at the mention of his name."

"He's an acquired taste," Boran said to Rikana with an apologetic smile. "He might be annoying, and act like a coward, but he's very resourceful. If he agrees to do something, he'll deliver. He might try to renegotiate his fee a couple of times, but that's something you'll have to deal with."

"What's his area of expertise?" asked Kikola.

"Expertise?"

"You said he will deliver. What will he deliver?"

"He's expert at being irritating," said Rikana.

"He worked in traffic control on Dameb," Boran said. "If you want someone who can figure out how to move your fleet without detection, he's your man. He also has a knack for acquiring non-descript ships that won't attract attention."

Kikola hummed in thought. "He might prove useful. Anyone else?"

"I know a guy who has a talent for getting information – don't ask how. His name is Jora Selzabega," said Boran.

"What sort of information?"

"What sort do you want? He lives on Kalenth. He might be able to get some classified info on Lentol, strength and position of her forces or something. He provided me the court records of Tehvay's trial." He glanced at Mariantha. "Where you purchased her and gave her to Kikola."

Mariantha's face grew dark. Whether that was from being reminded that she had purchased Tehvay and gave her away as a gift, or because someone unauthorised got hold of the trial record, Boran didn't know.

"How did he get them?" asked Mariantha.

"That's not important right now," Kikola interjected. "Can you give us his contact details?"

"Sure, but let Tremothen and Marleen contact him. He knows them and is more likely to trust them."

Kikola nodded.

"When are you leaving?" asked Boran.

"As soon as possible. I just need to inform Commander Simeal about you."

"Whoah, what?" His eyes widened in panic as his head snapped up and focussed on Kikola.

"You will be stockpiling weapons and shipping them to the Hegemony. I have to inform him you are doing it under my instructions." Kikola replied. "It is so you won't be arrested."

"Right," Boran breathed a sigh of relief. "Um, does that mean he'll be taking an interest in all my bus—you know what? I didn't say anything just now."

"It would be prudent if you curtailed any other business that is less than legitimate," said Kikola. "I cannot condone you breaking the law for personal gain. Also, I cannot protect you if I am not here and it is discovered."

"I hate to agree with Kiks," said Rikana. "But we need you unarrested."

Kikola turned to Rikana. "Last chance to change your mind and stay here. You would finally get that promotion."

"Nah, and let you have all the glory?"

Kikola stood up abruptly as if anxious to leave, which prompted the rest of the group to stand as well. "I will head over to the Dansek Security Force's headquarters to inform Commander Simeal about Boran and then head over to the house to pick up my uniform. The rest of you can head back to the Fearless."

"Give him a kiss from me," Rikana said, with obvious sarcasm as she put her boots back on.

Boran put his arm around Tehvay and squeezed her shoulder. Kikola clasped his hand and said, "Gratitude seems inadequate. We are once again in your debt, Boran. I do not know how I will ever repay you."

"You can repay me by keeping her safe," he replied. "And winning."

~~~~

With their meeting concluded, Mariantha asked Aloyd Willenth to wait for her in the shuttle. She wanted to have a private word with Boran on another matter. As she approached him, she noted that the businessman looked smart in his lilac suit. She just wished he had shaved. Why do I care if he shaved or not?

"How can I be of service to you?" He offered her a friendly smile.

Mariantha found him charming.

"I just want to know…" Mariantha paused when she noticed Jenissa standing in the doorway to the lounge and lowered her voice. "How she has been since I left?"

"Jenissa? It has not been an easy adjustment for her," Boran replied. 

Mariantha was not surprised that Jenissa was a having rough go of it.

"Poor kid," Boran continued, "losing everything and having to start over at such a young age. Tehvay and Kikola have tried, but Jenissa has kept them at arm's length. I do what I can for her, but the only person she seems to connect with is Ellovene." Boran gestured with a nod in the direction of the dark-haired woman standing next to Jenissa.

The two women couldn't be more different: Jenissa, the taller and fairer of the two, was dressed like she was going to a ball; gold dress adorned with silver frills, her long curls pulled up into a high tail. Ellovene, by comparison, was shorter and darker skinned, and was more sensibly dressed for the Trengosian climate: black and white hooped jumper and dark-blue, almost black leggings tucked into sturdy boots.

"I should go have a word with her." Mariantha reached out and touched Boran's forearm. "Will you give me a moment?"

Boran nodded and smiled, his brown eyes holding her gaze. Mariantha wanted to linger, but Jenissa was waiting.

As Mariantha approached, Jenissa's friend left her side and went to join Boran. Mariantha acknowledged the dark-skinned woman with a glance as she passed.

Not knowing what kind of reception she would receive from Jenissa, Mariantha decided to tread lightly. "It is good to see you again, Jenissa. How have you been?"

"I…fine," Jenissa replied. "Why have you returned?"

"I have come to see my daughter," Mariantha replied.

"I thought she had left this morning?" Without waiting for Mariantha to explain, Jenissa asked, "Does this mean Ell and I can't move into her house?"

"House?" asked Mariantha.

"Yes, Ell and I are moving into their house while Kikola and Tehvay are gone – or we were. Are they staying or leaving?"

"We will be leaving again shortly," Mariantha replied.

"Good," said Jenissa. "Sorry, that sounded rude. I meant I am glad Ellovene and I can move in, not that you are going. We were just picking up some of my belongings and then heading over there now."

"Boran informs me that you have had a difficult time adjusting."

Jenissa glanced towards Boran. "I suppose I was feeling a little down after you left, but I am doing better now, thanks to Ellovene."

Mariantha sensed that Jenissa wasn't telling her the whole story, but she didn't want to interrogate Jenissa further. "I am glad you are making friends."

"How have you been keeping?" asked Jenissa. "What is it really like back ho—back there?"

"It is different," said Mariantha. "I fear it will never be the same again."

"Perhaps it shouldn't be the same again."

"Perhaps," replied Mariantha thoughtfully. "It is chaos. The founding families and our supporters have gone into hiding."

"What happened to my family? Are they all right?"

Mariantha weighed up not telling Jenissa about her aunt, considering her delicate state, but thought it best to tell her. "As far as I know your family is safe except for your Aunt Ultessi. She was executed under Lentol's orders."

Jenissa dipped her head for a moment, and then raised it. "Thank you for telling me." Her voice was devoid of emotion.

Mariantha thought it best to change the subject. "I am glad you have decided to share Kikola's house with Ellovene. It will be good for you to have company."

"Yes, Ellovene has been a good friend. She helped me through some dark times."

"I asked Kikola to help you."

"She and Tehvay did their best to help, but there was a part of me that wouldn't let them. Too much of a reminder, I suppose."

Mariantha knew Jenissa meant her slave, Menari. I'm glad she has someone who can help her move on, she thought.

Boran and Ellovene joined them. Ellovene spoke. "It's getting late. We should be going."

Mariantha took a step back to allow Jenissa a moment with Boran. Jenissa thanked him for giving her a place to stay and looking after her. Boran drew her into a fatherly embrace.

"Don't be a stranger, you two." He smiled. "Seriously, if you need anything, you let me know."

"We will," Jenissa and Ellovene both said.

Jenissa turned to Mariantha. "How much longer are you going to be here on Trengos?"

"Not long," Mariantha replied. She was cautious about revealing too much information regarding her plans to return to the Hegemony with Kikola.

"Oh." Her lower lip quivered. "I guess this is goodbye – again."

Jenissa threw her hands around Mariantha, trying to fight back tears.

Mariantha was reserved about showing affection in public, but the empathy she felt for this young woman took her by surprise. She embraced Jenissa and tried to console her. "There, there. We will see each other again, I promise."

Jenissa finally released Mariantha from her embrace and picked up her suitcases.

Mariantha moved next to Boran and watched as the two young women walked out of the lounge. Finally, alone with him, Mariantha had planned on saying something, but her mind went blank for a moment. She detected a faint smell of desert about him, not the dry, dusty, faintly herbal smell of the sandy desert she was used to, but the more earthy smell of the rocky desert on Shibato. "I… never got to thank you properly for everything you have done. Not just for me, but for Kikola, as well as Jenissa."

"I…" He seemed at a loss for words. "You're… You are welcome."

Mariantha took note of Boran's effort to avoid using Quernal contractions. In the time we have spent together, I have grown… fond. What? The word surprised her. Accustomed to him, she corrected herself.

"Well, I should be joining the others." She paused. "Is there a message I can pass on to Tremothen and Marleen for you?"

"Um," Boran scratched his chin. "Just not to worry about things here and take care of each other."

"I will let them know. They do seem to be a very contented couple," Mariantha added. "I envy them."

"Me too," said Boran.

"I…" Mariantha wanted to open up about how lonely she felt. The political turmoil and uncertainty over the future magnified the deficiencies in her life. After Strambik's death, there was work and family to keep her occupied. Now, fighting for her life and security were vastly more important, but it actually took up so little of her day. It gave her time to think and reflect… and regret. "Do you think a person can change?" she asked.

The question appeared to catch Boran off guard. He laid a hand on her arm as if he needed to steady himself. "Always. Sometimes we do bad things; sometimes we do good things. But we are all capable of changing."

"I don't know," she replied. "Do our actions define us?"

"I don't think doing one bad thing makes us bad people, no more so than doing one good thing makes us good people," Boran replied. "We are just flawed beings trying to do what's best for ourselves. Sometimes that means doing good, and sometimes it means doing bad. The most important thing is to act, whatever way, for the right reason. And even then, we'll get it wrong."

"Very wise."

"No." His eyes twinkled. "I just sound clever. There's a whole universe between wise and clever." He looked off into the distance. "If we don't change, we don't live."

Mariantha smiled. "Now that is wise."

Boran looked at her and smiled. "Yes, it is."

~~~~

Ellovene used the electronic keypad to open the front door to Tehvay and Kikola's house – correction, her house. At least until they return – if they return, she thought. She and Jenissa set their belongings down in the hallway and walked into the living room to her left. It had been stripped of any personal affects that Kikola and Tehvay had once had on the side tables and shelves, and Kikola's artwork had been taken down from the walls. A blank canvas, as it were, for Ellovene and Jenissa to decorate.

Ellovene led the way into the kitchen. The lights came on, illuminating the space. The windows reflected back her image against the inky blackness of the moonless night. The silence was disquieting.

Jenissa came into the kitchen and picked up something from the kitchen table. Ellovene saw that it was a piece of electronic paper. Jenissa started to read it. "This is for you," she said, and held it out to Ellovene.

It seemed to be a list of instructions from Tehvay about basic garden care. "It's for both of us," said Ellovene.

"Mm-mm." Jenissa circled around the kitchen. "Is there anything to eat in here? I'm starved."

Ellovene hadn't thought about stocking the kitchen with food. She wasn't much of a cook. Her brother Trujilon was the chef in the family; though as busy as she and her brother were with work and the PPG, neither had time to cook food from scratch. Meals were usually from the food dispenser or at the local café.

Ellovene opened the pantry door, but the only things she found that didn't require culinary skills beyond hers were an unopened packet of biscuits and herbal tea. "We'll have to go shopping for food. For now, we'll have to make do with this." She went over to the food dispenser.

Jenissa came and stood next to her. "Steak, medium rare."

"It's not voice activated," said Ellovene.

Jenissa frowned. "How do I get a meal then?"

"Here, move in closer so you can see the display," Ellovene instructed, moving aside to allow Jenissa to get a better view. Ellovene stood behind Jenissa and talked her through the process.

"First, you press the console menu."

Jenissa pressed the panel, but nothing happened.

"No, the other one," Ellovene said, pointing to the opposite side of the control panel.

Jenissa pressed the panel where Ellovene indicated, and she was prompted to make a selection. She pressed the panel again, but it brought up 'sandwich'. "Why does this one have to be so complicated?"

Ellovene took a step closer and reached over Jenissa's shoulder. "Here, you missed a step."

"I see," Jenissa replied and repeated the steps Ellovene had just demonstrated again.

A few seconds later, success – a plated meal vaguely resembling a steak dinner was delivered from the slot.

"There, you did it!" Ellovene said, like a teacher proud of her pupil's achievement.

"My thanks," said Jenissa. She then took the plate and sat down at the table.

Ellovene selected her meal and took a seat opposite Jenissa. She chewed her meal in the vain hope that for once a dispenser meal would taste like the real thing. It never did.

After a few bites, Jenissa said, "I'm glad we're going shopping tomorrow. I need new clothes!"

"When I said shopping, I meant to buy a few groceries. Food I know how to cook," replied Ellovene. "I can't go clothes shopping tomorrow. I have to work."

"Take time off."

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"I have a job to do."

"Can't you write stuff tonight and just send it in?"

Ellovene laughed. "It doesn't work like that."

Jenissa frowned. "Then how does it work?"

"I go into the office and see what news stories are being pursued. If I'm lucky I get to pick one, otherwise the editor assigns me one."

"What if nothing happens?"

"Then I get to work on my own articles."

Jenissa shook her head in confusion. "That sounds silly. Just come shopping with me."

"I told you, I can't," Ellovene replied. "You'll have to go on your own."

"I don't want to go on my own. I need you to come with me."

"Jenissa, I can't. My next day off is in two days' time. We can go then."

"Humph," she pouted. "You said you'd look after me after I…" Jenissa lowered her gaze and looked at her wrists.

Tried to take your own life. Ellovene silently finished Jenissa sentence. She thought about that day. It seemed a lifetime ago, and yet it had only been about three weeks. She barely knew Jenissa then. She just happened to walk in at the right time to stop Jenissa from taking her own life – or at least doing serious damage.

Ellovene had never had to deal with someone who was suicidal before. She had great empathy for the reasons Jenissa felt such overwhelming despair: losing the person she loved and being exiled from her home and family. At first, Ellovene felt responsible for Jenissa – wanting to keep Jenissa from attempting suicide again. As the days passed and Jenissa seemed to be over the worst of it, the two women bonded from the shared experience. Protectiveness developed into friendship, and now here they were, an unlikely pair – an Elit from The Kalenth Hegemony and a journalist from the Graelands – sharing a house together.

"Tell you what," Ellovene said in a soft voice. "I'll ask my boss for the day after tomorrow off, and we'll go shopping then. How's that?"

Jenissa lifted her head and smiled. Ellovene liked to see Jenissa smile. If she's smiling then she's not thinking about—

Ellovene was suddenly alerted to the sound of the front door opening.

"Hello!" A voice called out. Kikola came through to the kitchen. "I apologise for interrupting your meal," Kikola said. "I did not realise you had already moved in."

"No, that's fine," Ellovene replied. "We are done."

"I see you were able to find your way around the kitchen," Kikola observed.

"Yes. We made use of the food dispenser," Ellovene replied.

"There was nothing else to eat. We had to resort to using it," Jenissa complained. "It is not even voice activated."

"It is all right," Ellovene said to Jenissa. "We will go shopping for food tomorrow." She turned her attention back to Kikola. "Are Tehvay and Rikana with you?"

"No. They have returned to the Fearless,"Kikola replied. She suddenly looked at a loss as to what to say next. "I have just come to collect my… collect something," she announced. "I will only be a few moments, then I will leave you in peace." Kikola left and went upstairs.

True to her word, Kikola came back downstairs carrying a bag, said her goodbyes, and departed.

Ellovene suggested that she and Jenissa go upstairs and decide who sleeps where. The few possessions Kikola and Tehvay had accumulated together were being stored in the smallest of the three bedrooms. Jenissa had wandered into the larger of the remaining bedrooms, which had a double bed, and declared that she was taking that room. That meant Ellovene got the other bedroom – the one with a single bed, a nightstand with a lamp, and a small wardrobe. She didn't complain, though. She was content to let Jenissa have her choice.

The next morning, Ellovene opened her eyes and glanced about her bedroom. It took a moment for her mind to register where she was.

Ellovene threw off the covers and got out of bed. The room was so small she didn't have to take a step, she just leant forward, opened the wardrobe and looked for a suitable outfit to wear to the office. Before she had turned in for the night, Ellovene had unpacked her case and put her clothes away. She liked things neat and orderly.

As Ellovene laid out the blouse on her bed, and straightened out a few wrinkles in it, she recalled the conversation she had with Jenissa about going shopping today instead of going to work. As lovely as that sounded, Ellovene had a job to do, one she was good at, one she enjoyed. Still, for a fleeting moment, Ellovene reconsidered, but only for a moment.

After she showered and got dressed, Ellovene quietly descended the stairs. She didn't turn on the lights or wear shoes, because she didn't want to make a noise and wake up Jenissa. When she got to the bottom of the stairs and turned into the kitchen, she stubbed her toe and cursed under her breath to see Jenissa's case still sitting in the hallway.

She made herself some breakfast and sat down at the kitchen table. Before she could take a sip of her dyodpeth, her comm unit buzzed. It was her brother.

"Tru! How are you? How was your trip?" she asked.

"Hi Ell," Trujilon replied. "The trip was uneventful. The gravity on Inosa is slightly higher, so I'm having to adjust to picking my feet up more deliberately. How are things there?"

"Good. Jenissa and I moved into Tehvay and Kikola's house last night."

"Great. I hope you'll have room for one more when I get back," Trujilon replied.

"You've seen the size of the house!"

Trujilon laughed.

"So, tell me about what's going on there," Ellovene said.

"Nothing much so far – a few preliminary meetings," Trujilon replied. "The head of the Inosan delegation is a man named Lysgen Prakolin Not only is he a charming host, he's got some good ideas about how to expand the role of the PPG on both planets. This evening, he invited me to dinner, and we ended up talking about establishing an interplanetary defensive net based off of our intercept patrols."

Ellovene laughed.

"Why are you laughing?" Trujilon asked.

"Because, dear brother, it's just like you to jump ahead a few steps."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, this was supposed to be a visit to discuss how to start a Planetary Protection Group on Inosa. You've only been there one day and already you've got Trengos and Inosa signing a mutual defence treaty!"

Trujilon gave his sister an abashed smile. "Well, Lysgen is a good listener. You'd like him Ell. I hope you get to meet him one day."

"I look forward to it. I'm sorry I didn't go with you to Inosa, but with Jenissa, and the house, and my job—"

"No worries, Ell. I'll keep you posted," Trujilon replied. His holographic image flickered momentarily.

"You're breaking up, Tru," said Ellovene.

"Same here. I'm not sure what's causing it." His image stabilised.

"That's better," said Ellovene.

There was the faint sound of a buzzer of some kind going off in the background. "What's that noise?"

"Oh that. Nothing. The hotel is testing their emergency response system or something. It's been doing that all day."

"Well, I should get on," Ellovene said. "I am going into work and I need to leave a few minutes earlier now that I live a few kilometres further east."

"It's time I turned in anyway," Trujilon said. "Lysgen has us in meetings with one government official or another for most of the day tomorrow, but I'll call you when I get a chance."

"Sounds good. Take care."

"And you." With that, Trujilon's holographic image disappeared.

Ellovene had started clearing away her breakfast dishes when Jenissa walked into the kitchen still rubbing the sleep from her eyes. "Good morning," said Ellovene.

Jenissa grunted something unintelligible and sat down. She then said, "I will have dyodpeth and toast."

"You will have to get your own breakfast and clean up after yourself. I need to get to work," Ellovene said. "And please move that case you left in the hallway. I nearly broke my toe on it this morning!"

"My apologies. I am used to Menari…" Jenissa paused and lowered her eyes. "I have never lived on my own before. It's going to take some adjusting."

Ellovene picked up her cup and drained the last few drops of dyodpeth. "I have to get going." She placed the cup in the sink. "I will see you this afternoon."

"I look forward to it," Jenissa said brightly with a smile that made her blue eyes sparkle.

It was nice to see Jenissa smile. Ellovene had seen precious little smiling from her young friend since they had met. Yes, it's good to see Jenissa smile.

~~~~

This was the first time Jenissa had stepped foot outside of the insular world she had been living in since her self-imposed exile to Trengos. She paused to take in the sights and sounds of a bustling and vibrant commercial district in the centre of Dansek City, noting that was not dissimilar to Jenissa's family's home planet of Alopan's capital city, Taltre. She craned her neck to look up at all the sleek, modern high-rise buildings that surrounded her at every turn.

Jenissa hadn't realised there could be such a centre of culture in a backwater planet on the edge of the Graelands. She had only experienced Dansek through the narrow lens of Boran's ship and the modest neighbourhood where she and Ellovene now lived.

"My thanks for agreeing to come shopping with me," she said to Ellovene.

"My pleasure," Ellovene replied. "I finished my assignment early, and you looked like you needed to get out of the house for a bit."

Both women were laden with packages. "Are you ready to go home?" Ellovene asked.

"Not yet. I wanted to find something we could purchase for the house. Something to add a touch of colour and style." Jenissa turned her gaze to a shop across the avenue. "Let's go in there."

Jenissa went in and ooh'd and ah'd at all the home décor and furnishings displayed from floor to ceiling. A massive full-length mirror, with hand-carved filigree, caught her eye.

"This is what we need," she said with glee to Ellovene. "Kikola and Tehvay only have that small mirror in the bathroom. I don't know how they got dressed in the morning." Jenissa looked around for a sales clerk. "I want this delivered to my home right away."

"Wait a moment!" Ellovene exclaimed. "Boran is paying for this and we've already got all this stuff." She held up her hands full of packages. "Don't you think we should discuss it with him first before buying something that costs…" Ellovene leaned in to read the price. "Two thousand credits!"

"He said I could buy whatever I want," Jenissa replied. "I want this mirror."

"This is just the floor model," said the clerk. "We can order it and have it delivered in a week."

Ellovene spoke to the clerk. "I'm sorry, we don't want that one."

Jenissa pouted. "Why can't I have this mirror?"

"To begin with, it's too big," said Ellovene. "Where would we put it?"

These were problems that Jenissa never had to deal with before. If she wanted something, she could have it. Size, space, and money were never an issue. "I don't know. Does it matter? It's nice. I deserve nice things. We deserve nice things." Jenissa noticed Ellovene looking a bit stressed. She wanted to cheer her friend up. "You deserve nice things."

"I'm not saying we can't have a mirror," Ellovene replied. "I'm just suggesting we buy one that will fit through the door."

Jenissa was a bit shocked that her attempt to lighten Ellovene's mood failed. She didn't want her friend to be upset.

The clerk cleared her throat and pointed out another full-length mirror that was more modest in size and price. "We do have this mirror in stock."

"It's nice… I suppose," said Jenissa. She could not keep the obvious disappointment out of her voice. "However, I prefer that one."

"This one is nice," said Ellovene, held up a much smaller mirror. "It could go on the wall above the table in the upstairs hallway."

"I won't be able to see myself full length in that. How can I tell if my dress is perfect?"

"I see your point," Ellovene replied. "So, why don't we compromise, and get this one?" Ellovene gestured towards the second mirror – the one to which the clerk was pointing.

Jenissa was about to object, but she saw the earnest look on Ellovene's face, and it suddenly struck Jenissa that she no longer lived a life of privilege, and she had to think about someone else for once in her life. I wish I had learned that lesson earlier, she thought. If I had, maybe Menari and I would be shopping for mirrors, instead of Ellovene and I. Jenissa admonished herself for dwelling in the past and what can never be. She needed to embrace this life.

"If you like it, Ell, we will take it," Jenissa said.

Ellovene smiled and turned to the clerk. "We'll take that one then."

I like to see Ellovene smile.

Chapter 4

Author's Page

Back to the Academy