CHAPTER 6

 

Kikola held her hand up and looked at it. It was blood red. A sign of things to come? she wondered. She looked around the shuttle cockpit. Everything was bathed in the same red light from the star outside.

The star was a red dwarf, orbited by four gas giants. Star charts gave the following information about the system: Designation H42331, uninhabited, and no economically viable resources. The closest planet to the star had its own system of moons, one of which was almost the size of Kalenth. The moon had something the star charts neglected to mention: the Willenth family's underground safe place, known as a tullcooth, which was shortly to become the headquarters of the newly formed Arai Soon Dukwelud.

With the Fearless maintaining an orbit in the shadow of the radiation scatter from the planet, the medium-sized Class 125 shuttle arced across the void to the moon and skimmed low over the barren and rocky surface. Captain Wurth piloted the shuttle with consummate skill into a blind canyon in a crater wall. He slowed the craft and hovered outside the mouth of a cave.

Kikola watched from the co-pilot's seat as Wurth activated a beacon. The pulse was short, less than a second, and then the beacon turned off. A few seconds later, the beacon came to life, flashed up a positive message, and turned off again.

Wurth nudged the ship into the cave. After a few hundred metres he started to descend. The shuttle went down a shaft as black as space. Only the captain's eyes fixed on the instruments had kept their course steady. After a brief flurry of hands on the controls, Kikola heard the engine pitch change and felt a soft bump of contact with a solid surface underneath.

External lights came on to reveal the underground hangar of the Willenth family's tullcooth. Every Elit family had several tullcooths to run to in case of emergency. They were maintained in secret and only members of the family knew their locations. In the sixteen hundred years since the formation of The Kalenth Hegemony, this was only the second time there had been call for any family to utilise them – the first being the Uprising of Year 453.

"Good job, Captain," said Kikola.

"Thank you, Rivelor."

Kikola unbuckled her safety restraints and headed into the passenger section. Aloyd Willenth was lending a hand to Kikola's mother as she climbed out of her seat. Tehvay was already standing up, waiting by the hatch. Rikana was still seated, looking like she wanted to be anywhere else.

Kikola walked over to the readout next to the hatch, and after ensuring the pressure and atmospheric levels outside the shuttle were equalised, she opened it. A waft of recycled air entered the shuttle. It smelled the same as the old space stations still in use. Kikola always thought of it as a combination of metal, carbon, and sweat.

Aloyd Willenth and Mariantha exited the shuttle and headed for the hangar's main doors, followed by a couple of ratings carrying Mariantha's luggage. Three more ratings started unloading the luggage for Kikola, Tehvay, and Rikana.

Rikana finally climbed from her seat and stood next to Kikola. She wrinkled her nose. "Smells like arse," she muttered.

"Then you should feel right at home," replied Kikola.

Rikana cackled. "As long as I can get some more of that hummenth, I'll be fine." She cast a glance towards the cockpit.

Kikola knew Rikana was looking for Wurth. It hadn't escaped her or Tehvay's attention that the captain and Rikana were seeing each other socially. They debated whether to say anything about it to Rikana, but decided to respect their privacy.

"Come with us," said Kikola. "Captain Wurth has to secure the shuttle. He may be a while."

Rikana blushed as though being caught stealing a sweet. "Why do I care?" She turned on her heel and headed towards the shuttle exit.

Kikola briefly rolled her eyes upward. Tehvay smiled and shrugged. Kikola took Tehvay's arm, and together they followed Rikana out of the shuttle.

Once they set foot on the hangar floor, Tehvay hesitated and her eyes seemed to dart in all directions. Kikola sensed it was because they were truly back in Hegemony territory now. It gave her pause as well. "Ready for this?" she asked.

Tehvay met Kikola's gaze. "With you beside me, I'm ready for anything."

"I hope I'm not having to bunk in with you two," groused Rikana. "I'll never get any sleep!"

"I arranged to have you in a suite across the hall from us," said Kikola

"Well, I hope this place has thick walls!" Rikana cackled.

Kikola cleared her throat. "Shall we join the others?"

They went through the doors that led from the hangar to the tullcooth's main concourse. Kikola immediately saw her mother talking to some relatives. She also noticed a small group gathered by a fountain; it was Aloyd Willenth being greeted by his family. She saw that Commander Breena Eadmon was among them. Maybe Rikana was right, thought Kikola. It is none of my business.

Kikola's attention was taken away from others' reunions when she saw two people approaching their group. She knew who they were as soon as she saw the man's flaming red hair. She contentedly watched as Tremothen and Marleen Scows greeted Tehvay with a big hug. Tremothen then turned his burly frame towards Kikola and held out a hand.

She gave it a shake and greeted the couple. "I am pleased to see you again."

"You too," said Tremothen. "This place is like a luxury hotel," he added. "Great accommodation, food, and recreational facilities." He lowered his voice. "However, the patrons are a bit… no offence. We're glad to see a friendly face."

Kikola looked around at the people milling about in the concourse. The 'patrons', as Tremothen put it, were not just Hegemony citizens or military personnel; they were Elit. She suddenly felt self-conscious. She hadn't realised how much she had adjusted to life on Trengos – living and working with people who in the Hegemony would not have been worthy of her attention. "I know how you feel," she acknowledged. "I felt that way when I arrived on Trengos, and I feel that way now."

Marleen cut off Kikola's introspection. "I see you're wearing the uniform again."

Kikola noted the slight condescension in the petite, grey-brown haired woman's tone but took no offence. "I have been asked to lead the opposition forces against Ambra ap Lentol."

Marleen turned to Tehvay with a look of concern. "And you're okay with that?"

"Yes," Tehvay assured her friend. "Kikola is now the Rivelor, and we have come to help anyway we can." Tehvay emphasised the 'we' as she glanced at Kikola and Rikana, who was lurking a few steps behind them.

Marleen gave Tehvay another hug. "I'm glad you came." She glanced around Kikola's shoulder to acknowledge the younger woman's presence. "Hello, Rikana!"

Tremothen chimed in. "Is Yuniph here too?"

"Yuniph is…" Tehvay fell silent.

"Tehvay?" Marleen's voice was soft as if she knew what Tehvay was going to say.

"I am afraid Yuniph is dead," said Kikola. "Lentol had her executed."

Marleen and her husband reacted with shock and sadness at the news. "You can tell us later," she whispered, embracing Tehvay once more. "When we're somewhere private. If you're up to it, that is."

Tehvay nodded as she stepped back from Marleen. She looked relieved to not have to explain things in public.

"Someone needs to take Lentol out," said Tremothen as he laid a hand on Tehvay's shoulder.

"That is the plan," said Kikola. "However, we have a lot of work to do."

"I guess we'll leave you to it," said Tremothen.

"No. When I said 'we' – that included you and Marleen," Kikola replied. "I will need your help in our fight against Lentol."

"Assuming we want to help," said Marleen warily.

"Of course, I apologise. I did not mean to imply I was conscripting you. Your help will be most appreciated, if you wish to give it."

"It's okay, Marleen," said Tehvay. She gave the older woman's elbow a squeeze. "Boran is on board as well. He will be stockpiling weapons, medical supplies, and food on Trengos for us."

"Boran approved you staying on here, but said it would have to be your decision," Kikola added.

Marleen and Tremothen traded knowing glances. Marleen replied, "Very well. If Boran is in, so are we." She looked to Kikola. "Can you fill us in?"

"I can go into more detail tomorrow, but basically we are going to oust Lentol."

"And what is our role in all this?" Tremothen asked.

"I will rely on you two reaching out to your contacts to gather intelligence, coordinating with Boran for logistics, and acting as advisors, along with Tehvay and a few others."

"And afterwards?" asked Marleen.

"Afterwards?" Rikana joined the conversation by pointing to the weapon on her hip. "You mean after I blast Lentol with this?"

Kikola gave Rikana a firm look and explained. "After Lentol is defeated, we will establish an interim government, and restore order to the Hegemony."

"You mean go back to the way things were?" Marleen asked sceptically.

"No," said Tehvay. "The Hegemony will change. We will free the slaves, dismantle the caste system, and build a more inclusive society for everyone."

"That's a big ask," said Marleen.

"Very big," concurred Tremothen.

"I know." Kikola looked around. "This is not the time to discuss it. My senior staff and I will be meeting to discuss strategy as soon as we are settled in, and I would be grateful if you would attend that meeting. Can I count on your support?"

"Yes!" said Tremothen enthusiastically.

"We'll do it for Tehvay," Marleen added.

"Thank you. I can think of no better reason," said Kikola.

Marleen smiled and turned to Tehvay. "Keep this one." She nodded her head in Kikola's direction.

Tehvay smiled. "That's the plan."

From the corner of her eye, Kikola saw Aloyd Willenth approaching with his wife and Commander Eadmon. The military pair saluted. Kikola returned the gesture and Aloyd Willenth made the introductions.

The aloyd's wife, Niasin Lia Mawsim ap Willenth, was the head of the Willenth family. She was small and frail looking, but carried herself with the confidence of one who knew their position of authority and wanted others to know it.

"It is a pleasure to meet you…" Niasin began; she trailed off as if not knowing how to address Kikola. "…again. We have met before, many years ago."

"I remember," said Kikola. "I am pleased to see you have arrived safely."

"Yes. And you." Niasin glanced at Tehvay. "It is late, and I am sure you are tired after your journey." She gave a tilt of her head and said to Kikola, "I have had your quarters prepared as you requested. My husband will see you are shown the way. If you will excuse me."

Kikola thanked her and Niasin drifted away. She turned her attention to Commander Breena Eadmon. "I knew your sister, Garin. You look a lot like her," Kikola commented.

The commander gave a half smile. "I get that a lot. She's fourteen years older than me, so I don't know whether to take that as a compliment."

Everyone in the group shared a chuckle.

"The commander has been busy. We should talk about it," said Willenth. He looked around at the others. "In private."

"I think everyone here can hear what needs to be said," said Kikola.

"Of course, I meant not standing in the middle of the concourse.

"Kikola glanced down at her sleeve to view the time on the Pup's chronometer. It was 22:16. Fortunately, the military and the Willenth tullcooth both kept Kalenth Standard Time. "I know there is a lot to do, however, we have just arrived. Tehvay will want to catch up with her friends, and we need to get settled in our quarters. Let's have a meeting tomorrow morning at 08:00. Tremothen, Marleen, is that suitable for you?"

The couple looked at each other and nodded.

"Good." Kikola turned back to Aloyd Willenth. "Commander Eadmon can give her report to us then. After that, we can discuss how we are going to proceed."

"Yes, Rivelor. Who will be the attendees?"

"You and Commander Eadmon, of course. Captain Wurth, Tremothen, Marleen, Rikana, Tehvay, and myself. Also, anyone else you see fit."

"Don't forget your mother," said Tehvay.

"Yes, and my mother," Kikola added.

Mariantha returned to the group. "What about me?"

"I have called a meeting tomorrow at 08:00," Kikola replied.

"Tomorrow? That is not the way to spend your twenty-eighth birthday."

Kikola had forgotten that tomorrow was her birthday. There were more important things to deal with than birthday celebrations, not that she had made a fuss about her birthday since joining the military.

"I will celebrate when we win," Kikola said to her mother. "Send out the notices for the meeting," she ordered Aloyd Willenth.

"I will make sure everyone is informed. However, I think you should hear the important points of Commander Eadmon's brief first. Just to give you time to think about it."

Kikola could tell by the furrow in his brow that the aloyd was earnest. "Very well." Kikola turned to Tehvay. "Why don't you and Rikana go and get settled in our suite while I tend to this?"

"Sure," Tehvay replied. "But before I do, may I ask a question?"

"Of course. What is it?" Kikola followed Tehvay's gaze, which had fixed on a couple of slaves sweeping the floors at the other side of the concourse.

"What are we doing about the slaves here?"

"Let me see to this first," Kikola replied. "We can address the slave issue at the meeting tomorrow."

"Freeing slaves on the Fearless was one thing. I have absolute control of that," observed Aloyd Willenth. "However, telling all these people, who have lost their homes and their position in society, that they must also lose their slaves… that will cause major upheaval at a time we can least afford the distraction."

As much as she wanted to free the slaves immediately, Kikola could see his point. She needed to focus on defeating Lentol, not deal with the fallout of freeing all the slaves in the Willenth tullcooth.

Mariantha offered a judicial-like ruling on the matter. "I will simply tell them that without Kikola's help, we have no hope of defeating Ambra. Freeing their slaves is the price for that victory."

"It is better to solicit my wife's support. We can impress upon her the need to free them," said Aloyd Willenth. "As head of the Willenth family, Niasin's word will carry weight."

"Very well," Mariantha agreed.

"However, unlike the ex-slaves from the Fearless, we cannot offer them the option to leave," Aloyd Willenth pointed out. "At this point, where would they go?"

"We will ask them if they would agree to continue doing their current jobs until the conflict is over." Tehvay added, "They must be compensated and not abused."

"I will work with Tehvay to implement the new policies," said Mariantha. "We can discuss the particulars at tomorrow's meeting."

Willenth nodded, Tehvay smiled, and Kikola was relieved. "Thank you, Mother."

The group dispersed and Tehvay left with Rikana and the Scows. Kikola followed Aloyd Willenth and Commander Eadmon to a nearby empty room.

Eadmon stood to attention.

"At ease, Commander," Kikola said.

Commander Eadmon relaxed her posture. "First thing I have to say is that I know my sister is commanding Lentol's flagship, and my brother is also among her forces, but my loyalty is with Aloyd Willenth, and you."

"Good," replied Kikola. "Let me hear your report."

"Yes, Rivelor," Commander Eadmon replied. "I managed to contact someone at the Fleet HQ on Kalenth. They, like a lot of others, are not Lentol loyalists. They are just following orders. If we can defeat the Bren, or even just turn the tide, then it's most likely the rank and file military will fall into line."

"I hope we can find a strategy to keep casualties to a minimum," Aloyd Willenth said.

The commander glanced between the aloyd and the Rivelor. "I learnt that Lentol has not changed the fleet deployment," she said. "We should use that to our advantage as soon as possible."

That surprised Kikola. "Are you sure? It is the first thing she would do."

"That's the first thing a competent leader would do," Willenth observed.

"It seems her aloyds are waiting for orders and not suggesting strategies," Eadmon continued. "Lentol is trying to run the Council and Military Operations herself. It seems she's forgotten to change the deployment."

"Then that should be our first priority," said Kikola. "We will look at that now. It can't wait until tomorrow. Anything else important to tell me?"

"Only one thing more," Eadmon replied. "Lentol has collected children from the Elit families supporting her. It seems she is ensuring loyalty by holding the children hostage. They are being moved to the Maldan estate on Kalenth. That also means they could be used as a shield if we go for a direct attack on Lentol."

"Well done, Commander." Kikola took a seat and gestured for the others to do so. "Let's see what damage we can do with the fleet deployment."

~~~~

It could be summer, thought Boran as he stood in front of his ship's lounge window, looking out at the glorious sunshine and clear blue skies. A comfortable indoor temperature of twenty-five degrees Celsius only added to the illusion. Outside it was a chilly minus two degrees Celsius – winter in Dansek. The tall wispy shrubs, lining the spaceport's access road to his ship, swayed back and forth in the wind, a wind that was no doubt bitingly cold. Boran sipped his tea, grateful to be indoors in his fortress of warm.

Boran's musings about the weather were interrupted by the sound of footsteps coming up behind him. His daughter, Tana, entered the lounge, and she didn't look happy.

"Why is it that every time Tehvay and her gal pal snap their fingers, you come running?"

"What are you talking about?" Boran asked.

"I am talking about this 'supply depot' you promised them," his daughter replied. "Do you realise how much money it will cost our bottom line? Do you even care?" Tana put her hands on her hips and stood defiantly. "We make money moving freight. We certainly don't make money stockpiling food, medicine, and weapons for a band of rebels!"

"Actually, they are paying us. But it is about doing what we can to help the cause." He moved away from the window and placed his tea down on a table. "Anyway, why bring it up now?"

"Because I hope you've had time to rethink agreeing to it and changed your mind," Tana said.

"I've thought about it, and I'm not changing my mind," Boran replied.

Tana folded her arms. "Don't I get a say?"

Boran didn't need another argument with her. "I suppose, so. But frankly, I don't care. I can put the money they're paying into a separate account and pay for the warehouse and the pilots out of that. That way it doesn't impact the business. Will that make you happy?"

Tana looked like she was gearing up to counter what he said, then she dropped her arms and frowned. "Er, yeah. I guess." She stepped forward. "The only thing that matters to me is Trengos Logistics, and it should be to you."

It took Boran a second to realise she was talking about their business. It had been Zerbilla Enterprises for so long he still thought of it as such, but a new location, and a new life precipitated a change of name.

Tana continued, "Getting involved in politics and war is not good for business. You have to be sure you've picked the winning side. Business just needs a thriving economy to make a profit."

"If the wrong people are in charge then the economy won't thrive," countered Boran. "We need to get involved in politics and back a side. If I were ten years younger, I would have signed up to fight along side them."

"Well, then thank Orion that you're too old for such nonsense."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means you're a better businessman than you are a soldier," his daughter replied. "Leave the fighting to those who are trained to fight a war."

"Funny. I said the same thing to Tehvay."

"Said what?"

"That she should stay here on Trengos and let Kikola go back and fight the war – that Kikola has trained for it her whole life. Tehvay has not."

"I'm glad you took your own advice," Tana replied. "However, you did it for the wrong reason."

"What do you mean?"

"Boran the businessman would remain on Trengos, where it's safer, because there are plenty of business opportunities here in the Graelands," Tana explained. "But you didn't stay based on sound business decisions, did you? No, you stayed because your precious Tehvay asked you to."

Boran objected. "That's not true."

"Oh? Tell me this – if Tehvay had asked you to go with them, what would you have done?"

Boran didn't answer. He couldn't, because he knew he'd lose the argument.

"You would have gone without a second thought," Tana replied. "Admit it. No never mind, don't. I am so sick of you putting Tehvay ahead of me."

Boran stood there watching his daughter walk off, angry and hurt. He could have let it go, let her go. They've had rows before over the same topic – Tehvay. And Tana has always come around. However, this time felt different. This time he knew he couldn't let her go like that.

"Tana, wait." He jogged to catch up to her.

She stopped but didn't turn to look at him.

He came around to face her, but she didn't make eye contact. Instead, she folded her arms petulantly and looked away.

"You're right. I do look upon Tehvay as my chosen family. I love her like a daughter, and I love you because you are my daughter. It's not a competition. If you feel like you have to compete for my love with Tehvay, then that is on me. But there is room in my heart for you both. I need you to understand that." He lifted her chin. "I promise to do a better job of making you feel loved and appreciated, because you are."

She stepped away from his touch. "You always say you're going to do that, and you always do it. For a short while." Her blue eyes hardened. "If you go back, I'm staying here. I did most of the work to get Trengos Logistics off the ground. I deserve to keep it all if you go."

Boran realised that his little girl had grown up. She was an adult. She could make her own decisions and live her own life without him. And she was right. It was her idea and drive that had got the business started on Trengos.

"If," Boran let the word hang for a moment. "If I go back to stay, the business here is yours. Just promise me that we will stay in contact."

"Shibato is not that far. You can pop around for tea when you've got time." Tana mumbled something else that might have been a goodbye and walked away.

 ~~~~

Jenissa stood in front of the mirror that leaned against her bedroom wall. It was the mirror she and Ellovene had purchased together for the house. It wasn't the mirror Jenissa wanted, but she allowed Ellovene to have her way by agreeing to buy the slightly smaller mirror. Jenissa felt justified in having the delivery people put it in her room since she gave in to Ellovene at the store. Ellovene offered no counter-argument, which suited Jenissa.

She was reminded of something her Aunt Ultessi had told her once: the sweetest victory comes without a battle being waged. Jenissa had no idea what her aunt had meant at the time, but as the delivery workers were setting the mirror into place, the meaning became clear.

"What do you think of this outfit?" asked Jenissa. She was wearing a one-piece white jumpsuit with short jacket. It wasn't her usual form of attire, but it was considered fashionable on Trengos, and that was good enough for her.

"Mmm," mumbled Ellovene, who was perched on the edge of Jenissa's bed.

Jenissa noted Ellovene's lack of enthusiasm for the first outfit, so she went into her wardrobe and pulled out another outfit to try on. This time it was a form hugging red dress. The hem was cut in the asymmetrical Trengosian style. 

"How about this one?" Jenissa turned around and held the dress up to her body to gauge Ellovene's reaction to it.

The dark-haired woman sat there looking bored. Jenissa wasn't sure how to react. On Alopan, her friends Bree and Purdit loved trying on new clothes.

"Ell, do you like it?"

Ellovene nodded. "It's lovely."

"Do you want it? Go on, try it on."

Ellovene smiled and shook her head. "No thanks. It won't look good on me. It's meant for someone taller, like yourself."

Jenissa plopped herself down next to Ellovene. She's not bored; she's distracted. "Is everything all right?"

"Yes, everything is fine. It's just…" Ellovene shook her head. "Doesn't matter. You try it on."

The Elit were raised with the overriding belief that only they mattered. Self-belief and self-confidence bred self-centredness. Jenissa had been more than guilty of that in the past, but now she was recognising that other people's feelings mattered – that Ellovene mattered. "Did you used to do this with your friend, Yuniph?" Jenissa queried. "Is that why you look like you don't want to be here?"

"Yes," Ellovene confessed in a voice just above a whisper, her eyes fixed on her lap.

Jenissa was about to suggest they take a break and go downstairs for a cup of tea when Ellovene met Jenissa's gaze and offered more of an explanation. "Yuniph would come over to my house and we'd try on clothes. I say 'we', though I was the one trying on the clothes and Yuniph was sitting on the bed looking like she didn't want to be there. But that was many years ago. I'm sorry. I don't want to depress you."

Jenissa looked down at the dress in her hands and suddenly felt homesick. "I used to do this with my friends too – also with Menari. I would let her try on my dresses. She looked so beautiful wearing proper clothes." Those memories of Menari brought tears to Jenissa's eyes.

Ellovene reached out for Jenissa's hand. "I'm sorry," said Ellovene. "I've upset you."

Jenissa sniffed. "No. I will get through this. That's what you said. You will be there for me and I will be there for you."

"Yuniph was a friend. She wasn't as close to me as Menari was to you."

"It still hurt to lose her though, didn't it?"

"Yes."

Jenissa jumped up off the bed and turned to face her friend. "Then let us make ourselves feel better by trying on new clothes." She held the red dress out to Ellovene.

With a mock sigh, Ellovene took the dress and climbed to her feet. "I'm getting too old for this!"

The mention of age reminded Jenissa that there was quite an age difference between them – a twelve-year gap. Yet their friendship seemed natural. It wasn't just built on sympathy and gratitude. The two women were so different, but that difference made the friendship interesting. Bree and Purdit were too much like me, thought Jenissa. They were fun, but they wouldn't have allowed me to grow. With Ellovene I can actually grow, and grow up. I need to if I am to survive here.

~~~~

Tehvay looked around the living quarters to which she and Kikola had been assigned. The suite was large, with two en suite bedrooms, a kitchen and dining area, an office, and a living room. It was well furnished, and by most standards would be considered luxurious, but she knew by Elit standards it was barely considered adequate.

The ceiling was a deep blue in the centre that slowly faded to white, reminiscent of the sky on a clear day. The walls were a neutral cream, and the soft carpets a rich green like grass. The air conditioning was scented with a subtle blend of flowers. She could detect zinlantha among them, but the others she couldn't pin down. It reminded her of her garden back on Trengos. There was only one thing missing: Kikola herself, who had stayed behind to speak with Aloyd Willenth and Commander Eadmon. In the meantime, she contented herself with Rikana for company.

"At least the décor is some other colour besides grey," Tehvay said out loud.

The young woman yawned.

"I'm sorry," said Tehvay. "I know it's been a long day. Why don't you go? I'll be fine."

Rikana shook her head. "You said you didn't want to wait alone. I'm staying."

Tehvay glanced at a chronometer: 24:10. She was tired but didn't want to go to bed without Kikola. She sat, sipping on a glass of water, while Rikana paced the suite. It made Tehvay even more tired just to watch her. "Sit down, please," she said.

Rikana stopped her pacing but remained standing. "If I sit, I'll fall asleep."

Tehvay was too tired to argue. "Kikola's meeting is taking a long time."

The dark-haired woman looked at Tehvay. "Give her a call."

"It seemed important, and I don't want to disturb her." Tehvay let out a tired sigh to mask a yawn.

Rikana folded her arms and humphed. "She couldn't wait to go off and play soldiers. She should be here with you."

Tehvay drained the glass and found herself staring at its empty bottom, thinking about Kikola and how they ended up here, on this barren moon, in these quarters. "Kikola started this return journey to support me in seeking justice for the wrongs done to my family. Circumstances have shifted, and I have to support her seeking justice for the wrongs done to her family."

"Kiks knew her family was screwed over long before we left," Rikana replied. "That hasn't changed. Only now they need The Rivelor to help them. The result will be the same. Doesn't matter who or what or why." Rikana shuffled nervously. "What matters for you is who the woman wearing the uniform is when the dust settles. The Hegger soldier or the one you love."

"They are one in the same," Tehvay said, "and right now I just want her next to me in bed."

"You're welcome to her," Rikana replied. "She shared my bed for one night. That was one night too many."

Tehvay looked quizzically at the young woman. "Was that the night Kikola and I had the argument?"

Rikana nodded.

"Neither of you said what happened."

"Nothing happened. She did nothing squidgy to my body and I did nothing squidgy to her body. Our bodies remained totally unsquidged."

Tehvay laughed. "I know nothing like that happened."

Rikana perched on the arm of a nearby chair. "Kiks turned up looking all forlorn. I took her to a bar. She told me about your argument as we drank. After a couple of drinks, she said she wasn't feeling very well. I took her back to my place. She threw up. I put her to bed. Until she fell asleep all she talked about was you. How she loved you. How she felt she didn't deserve you. Worried if you'd take her back. In the morning, I gave her breakfast and a piece of my mind." Rikana scratched her head. "I can still feel the hole."

The mental image made Tehvay smile. "Well, whatever you said it worked. Thank you."

"For what?"

"For looking after her, and for sending her home."

"Ah, I just didn't want her cluttering up my flat another night," Rikana cackled.

Just then, the door opened and Kikola came in. "What is so funny?"

"Oh, nothing," Tehvay replied.

Rikana stood up and headed for the door. "I'll see you two in the morning."

"08:00," said Kikola.

"I'll think about it." Rikana closed the door behind her.

Tehvay wrapped her arms around Kikola. "I missed you."

"I was busy, sorry."

"I understand. I can't believe I forgot it was your birthday tomorrow." Tehvay placed a kiss on Kikola's lips. The response told her it was Kikola not The Rivelor who she embraced. "Would you like your present now or in the morning?"

Kikola frowned. "Where did you get a present from?"

Tehvay laughed. "Now or in the morning?"

"What did you get me?" asked Kikola.

Tehvay stepped back, took Kikola's hands and placed them on the belt holding her dress secure. "Unwrap it and find out." 

Tehvay's dress fell to the floor, and she stepped out of it. She knelt down and undid Kikola's trousers. As Kikola stepped out of them, Tehvay pushed them away. She tugged at Kikola's underwear. In her eagerness to get at the treasure within, a fingernail scratched Kikola's thigh.

"Sorry," Tehvay rubbed the red line that had formed on the tan skin. She breathed a sigh of relief that there was no blood. She placed a tender kiss on the mark as she pushed the underwear down.

The heat in front of her face, radiating from Kikola's sex, was evident. Tehvay reached out and ran a finger over the patch of curly hair. Kikola could barely stay standing and fell into a chair. Her legs parted further and Tehvay's finger encountered wetness. She's always so ready, thought Tehvay. Unlike me.

Tehvay dismissed the thought, moved her head forward, and extended her tongue. She wrapped her arms around Kikola's legs to support herself and hungrily lapped up the nectar before her. So sweet. When she sensed that Kikola was close, Tehvay buried her tongue deep inside, and an orgasm rippled through Kikola's body. Tehvay kept her mouth on Kikola's clit, licking and sucking until Kikola's muscles finally stopped quivering.

She looked up into Kikola's contented face. It made her happy. When she was a slave, Tehvay never dared look at the person after she was finished servicing them. The act had made her feel small, dirty, invisible, but making love to Kikola made Tehvay feel powerful, pure, invincible.

Kikola leaned forward in the chair and cradled Tehvay's face in her hands. Tehvay welcomed Kikola's soft kiss on her lips. Kikola pulled back and gazed lovingly into Tehvay's eyes. Tehvay flashed Kikola a hopeful smile as she manoeuvred onto her back. Kikola eagerly joined her on the floor. Tehvay pulled Kikola on top of her and invited another kiss. It was tender, not rushed. Kikola never asked for too much too soon. It just made Tehvay love Kikola more.

Gentle fingers slipped Tehvay's underpants off, removing them as reverently as possible. Tehvay felt an awakening of desire as Kikola's tongue slowly traced a path between her breasts. Her nipples stiffened with feather-light flicks across the tips.

When Kikola's hand cupped her mons, Tehvay felt something between panic and arousal, but she willed herself to relax and allow Kikola's hands and mouth to explore more intimately. Tehvay even allowed a moan to escape her lips when Kikola's fingers made slow circular motions over her hooded pearl.

Tehvay began to move her hips against Kikola's hand, which intensified the ache at her core. Maybe this time, she thought. "Please Kikola, I want to feel you inside me."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes!" The urgency in her voice echoed the building tension at the apex of her thighs.

She closed her eyes and waited to feel Kikola enter her. Her mouth went dry as Kikola's finger slipped in between her moist folds.

Kikola paused. "Okay?"

"Yes, fine," Tehvay replied.

Kikola slowly withdrew and then entered again. Tehvay's breathing became shallow as she concentrated on each stroke, willing her body towards the precipice, but after a minute or two, it was clear that her body was not going to climax. No, not again.

Kikola must have sensed the change and stopped. She pulled Tehvay close and held her.

"I'm sorry," Tehvay said.

"Don't be. You came closer than you ever have." Kikola's voice whispered in her ear. "I love you."

~~~~

Ellovene clutched the front of her winter coat to protect herself against a biting cold cross-breeze. She paused and looked up. Tiny spots of fine, misty rain were illuminated in the street lighting. She shivered and carried on. She turned onto the garden path and knocked on the front door, like she had done countless times before over the years – familiar, yet strangely foreign now that her friend Yuniph no longer lived there.

After a few moments, Asta Veilan, who was dressed in a simple white shirt, and beige slacks, came to the door. "Ellovene, how nice of you to stop by." Asta ushered her in quickly to keep out the cold.

"I was just in the neighbourhood," said Ellovene as she stepped across the threshold. "I wanted to see how you were doing."

"That was thoughtful," Asta replied. "Here, let me take your coat. Do you have time for a cup of tea?"

"Yes, that would be lovely." Ellovene took off her coat and handed it to Asta.

Asta hung it up on a wall hook and led Ellovene into the kitchen. Pallin was seated at the table, with a small plate of biscuits and a cup of tea in front of him. He was dressed in his dark green overalls. Must be on his way to do some work, she surmised.

"Oh, I didn't mean to disturb you."

"You aren't," Pallin said. "Just having a quick cup before I have to go." He gestured for her to join him at the table while his wife made another pot of tea. Asta set another place for Ellovene, brought the fresh pot of tea to the table, and sat down across from her husband.

"Are you getting settled over at Tehvay and Kikola's house, or should I say your house?" asked Pallin. He pushed the plate of biscuits towards Ellovene.

"I'd like to say things are going well, but I'd be lying," she replied, helping herself to a biscuit.

"Oh, why's that?" Pallin enquired with a fair amount of concern in his tone. 

Ellovene swallowed what was in her mouth and said, "Because Tehvay left us detailed instructions on how to care for her garden, but I'm afraid neither one of us has a green thumb!"

Asta and Pallin chuckled.

"I can come over and give you a hand," he said. "Tehvay planned for a winter garden, so there's a bit more work than the usual maintenance."

"That would be wonderful," Ellovene said with enthusiasm. "I don't want Tehvay to come back to a dead garden." She immediately regretted her choice of words, 'Tehvay' and 'dead', when the Veilans' expressions turned sombre. "I…how are you doing?"

Pallin didn't say anything.

Asta started pouring a cup of tea for each person. She set the teapot back on its coaster and replied, "Oh, you know. We take it one day at a time."

"Keeping busy," Pallin offered.

"Yes, that is key," Asta added. "Pallin has his landscaping business."

"That's the thing about gardens," he said. "Rain or shine, they still need tending."

"And I am busy helping the freed slaves from the Fearless – helping them adjust to a new life, find somewhere permanent to live, and employment."

"How is that going?" Ellovene asked, taking a sip of her tea.

"It's not easy, but they are making progress," said Asta. She glanced at her husband and gave his hand a pat. "I remember what it was like for us when we first arrived. We knew next to nothing about living an independent life, and we had a baby to take care of and support."

"Yuniph," Pallin said soulfully.

"Yes, Yuniph." Asta took a sip from her cup. Ellovene could see her lip tremble just a little.

How heart breaking for them, Ellovene thought, to lose a daughter. Tears began to well up in her eyes, remembering the lifelong friend she had lost. Ellovene buried her face in her teacup, trying to mask her grief, but she couldn't hold it back. She put the cup down. "I miss her so much," she said as she wept.

Asta got up from the table and put her arm around Ellovene's heaving shoulders.

"I'm sorry," Ellovene said, trying to gain control of her emotions. "I should be comforting you, not the other way around."

"You are, my dear," Asta replied. "It gives us great comfort to know that you loved and miss our Yuniph as well."

"And you are just around the corner, looking after our daughter's – our other daughter's house," Pallin added.

"You might not think that when you see the state of the garden!"

That lightened the mood, and the three of them chuckled.

"If you'll excuse me," said Pallin glancing at the chronometer. "I have somewhere to be. Someone has some planking they don't need and I can use."

"Be careful; it's starting to rain and close to freezing out there," Ellovene warned.

Pallin nodded, gave his thanks and left.

Asta excused herself and followed her husband out. When she returned, Asta poured them both another cup of tea and sat down. "So, tell me, how are things with Jenissa?"

"We went shopping yesterday," Ellovene replied. "Well, Jenissa shopped. I was there to rein in her spending and carry the purchases."

"I hope she's not taking advantage of you."

"No. She's really trying to make a go and adjust. She's just young, that's all." Ellovene chuckled as she recalled the day's events. "We spent this afternoon trying on the clothes that she bought. I haven't done that in ten or more years." Ellovene pulled at the sleeve of the mustard coloured sweater she was wearing. "Jenissa gave me this. It's beautiful, it's expensive, but it's not practical winter wear."

Asta smiled wistfully. "I'll let you into a little secret. Yuniph always complained to me about you trying on clothes that you'd bought. She never understood why you enjoyed it so much."

Ellovene nodded. "I guess I knew, but she was too nice to say anything to me."

"That was her problem. She always did things for other people. She was never good at putting herself first."

"I think it's the opposite problem for Jenissa. She has always put herself first – not from innate selfishness, but from her upbringing."

Asta nodded. "Elit are taught to think of themselves and their family first."

"Kikola never seemed that way," Ellovene observed. "Her devotion to Tehvay is plain to see. The sacrifices she made to come here."

"And now she's going back and taking Tehvay – putting her in danger." Asta's reply was abrupt. She got up and cleared away Pallin's dishes. When she came back to the table, she was contrite. "Sorry, I didn't mean to snap." Asta sipped her tea. "Every day since Tehvay was taken from me I thought about her. Worried for her. Hoped for her. Then one day she walked through that door." Asta waved a hand at the door behind Ellovene. "And everything was perfect. Finally, our family was complete." A strange frown flickered on Asta's face. "For a few short months," she added, and covered her face with her hands as tears started to flow.

Ellovene made her living by choosing the right words in the right order. Yet, when it came to finding the right words to ease the pain of the woman before her, she couldn't. All she could do was move around the table and hold the grieving mother.

~~~~

Trujilon stepped off the lift into the hotel's reception area and immediately spotted the man whom he was meeting, Lysgen Prakolin. Lysgen was a little over average height, yet seemed taller. His short, dark hair was peppered with grey, as was his closely cropped beard.

Trujilon waved to the man who was dressed in a tan suit and white shirt, noting it was similar to the suit he had selected from the summer clothes he had brought with him. As the young man got close, the older man put his hand out. Trujilon took the proffered hand and shook it.

Lysgen was a mid-level civil servant who had been chosen by the Inosan government to supervise Trujilon's visit and oversee the implementation of the PPG's ideas on Inosa. At first Trujilon thought he was being fobbed off with someone whose heart wouldn't be invested in the project. However, Lysgen had proved a surprise. He was thoughtful and analytical, making sure everything was within government regulations, but was open to radical ideas and even proposed a few of his own.

They left the hotel and stepped out into a pleasantly warm tropical morning. "I'm glad I'm missing the Dansek winter," said Trujilon. "They can be quite dull and miserably cold."

"We don't need to worry about winters here in the tropics. I've never even seen a frost as long as I've been on Inosa."

"Where were you before?" asked Trujilon.

Lysgen frowned. "Somewhere else."

"Okay." Trujilon was a little surprised by the abrupt way his simple question was dismissed. It seemed a little out of character. He didn't press his host further on the matter.

They headed across the street to a small café that overlooked a marina and settled on a balcony table where they could enjoy the weather and a leisurely breakfast while they discussed plans.

"We've a lot to do," Trujilon said.

"Unfortunately, I won't be able to come with you on the trip later. I have to return to work. My day-to-day work, I mean. Some things can't be delegated," said Lysgen. "It seems the government is really getting behind our ideas. It's not just Inosa and Trengos that have seen an upturn in attacks. This could go Graelands wide!"

"Perhaps we can unite all the planets and become a serious force in the Spur, not just the planets no one wants to claim."

"That's it," said Lysgen with a smile. "Dream big."

"My sister Ellovene would say I dream too big."

"If you can't dream big, don't dream at all."

Trujilon grinned. "My thoughts exactly."

They continued chatting and batting ideas back and forth until the hour-long breakfast meeting came to an end. As Lysgen paid for the meal, they were approached by a young woman wearing a smart white uniform. "It seems your ride is here," said Lysgen. "Enjoy your second breakfast." He bade Trujilon goodbye and nodded at the young woman as he left.

"If you'll be so kind as to follow me, Mr Berneth."

"Trujilon. My friends call me Tru."

"This is business, I'm afraid," said the woman. "Mr Rassin expects certain formalities to be maintained."

Trujilon smiled. "Consider my formalities maintained. Lead on."

The woman had a vehicle waiting to take them to a nearby shuttle port. There she directed Trujilon to the awaiting shuttle. Once she was assured he was comfortable, she settled into the pilot's seat and took off.

Trujilon was headed to the home of Arthon Rassin, a wealthy businessman who had attended the first briefing Trujilon had given on the first night of his arrival. Rassin was prepared to partly finance the scheme in return for favourable tax cuts. His contribution was sizeable and most welcome, so Trujilon could not be too hard on Rassin's motivations. Rassin had invited Trujilon to give an update at a breakfast meeting at his home.

The shuttle headed southwest, outrunning the rotation of Inosa. Slowly the Inosan sun started to sink behind Trujilon and the sky darkened. The rough water below the shuttle disappeared in the gloom. A short while later he saw the lights along the coast of the island on which Rassin lived come rushing towards him.

The shuttle slowed as they passed over the coast. Several towns and villages were scattered over the island and in the centre was Rassin's house. It was large, but surprisingly modest to what Trujilon had expected. It stood apart from a nearby village of Emanon but only by half a kilometre or so.

The shuttle landed on the far side of the house away from the village. The pilot opened the hatch and gestured for Trujilon to exit.

"Thank you," he said, and walked down the ramp.

A loud noise drew his attention. Trujilon looked up into the pre-dawn sky. A ship was descending rapidly, landing near the village. Shouts rang out. Security guards started running around the outside of the house towards the village. Trujilon followed. The sounds of weapon fire stopped him in his tracks. A security guard was heading towards him along the road from the village.

The guard was shouting and gesticulating at Trujilon. "Get back! Get back to the house!"

Trujilon did not understanding what was happening. The guard kept coming towards him and shouting. Finally, it registered to Trujilon when he heard the man yell "Raiders!"

Before Trujilon could react, the guard was right on him and stumbled into Trujilon. They both fell to the ground. Trujilon rolled clear and looked into the dead eyes of the guard. He saw a slave raider heading towards him. Slowly, too slowly, he reached out for the guard's IPB. The raider levelled his weapon at Trujilon head.

This is going to hurt, he thought.

There was no pain.

Chapter 7

Author's Page

Back to the Academy