Disclaimers: see part 1, chapter 1

========================================

Lorimal's Chalice

Appendix

By Jane Fletcher

========================================

The Legend of Princess Tevirik

As told by the women of the Western Isles

========================================

Once upon a time, there was a daughter born to the royal house of Storenseg. Her birth name was Strikes-like-lightning but, even as a small child, she was so warlike that she would not go out unless she wore her armour and weapons, so the people called her Tevirik, after the goddess of blacksmiths. She grew to be tall and brave and was her mother's pride. All her people looked to the day when she would be Queen and lead the war-band to victory.

Now, as is told elsewhere, Storenseg was the island where Abrak first made the magic potion that gives the warriors their strength. The most precious of her relics was her chalice, but one day, when Tevirik was scarcely grown to womanhood, an evil sorcerer sent an enchanted raven to steal it. The women of Storenseg were dismayed since legend said that without the magic chalice their war-band could not prevail in battle.

Soon, the tale of the theft of the chalice spread among all the Western Isles and the Queen of Rathshorn thought to turn it to her advantage. She sent a challenge, demanding that the women of Storenseg submit to her and renounce their true Queen.

When Tevirik learnt of this insult to her family, she turned white with anger. She went to her grandmother, the Queen, and swore that she would go in search of the chalice and not return without it. At this, the hearts of the people sank, for without Tevirik to fight for them there seemed no hope for their war-band but Tevirik would not go back on her oath. The whole island turned out to see Tevirik depart. There were tears in the eyes of many, for none expected to see her again.

Tevirik sailed east for many days, until she reached land. She left her boat on the beach and went from place to place, searching for news of the chalice, but nothing could she find. Then, one night, she was awakened by sound of fighting. Nearby, she saw an old man, cruelly attacked by a band of robbers. Not hesitating, Tevirik drew her sword and set about the gang so that within seconds they were fleeing for their lives.

Once the danger was gone, the old man turned to her with words of thanks. "My gratitude is yours forever. Yet I can see you are a stranger in these lands. Why are you here?" he said.

"I am searching for the sacred chalice of my people, which was stolen by an enchanted raven. Do you know where it might be?" Tevirik replied.

"No." said the old man, "But the sorcerer Brikoda may know, for she is one of the wisest women in the world."

"Where may I find her?"

"She lives in her citadel, far to the north. To reach her, you must cross a sea of grass and that will not be easy."

"I have crossed the true sea of water in the west. Surely, a sea of grass shall prove no great obstacle." Tevirik said.

In the morning, Tevirik awoke and packed her gear and set out for the north. For many days, she walked until she reached a plain of grass that stretched to the horizon. The wind roared over the plain causing the grass to ripple like the waves breaking on the shore. It blew so fiercely that for every three steps Tevirik took forward she was blown back one, but at last she arrived at a mighty citadel. Inside this citadel, the sorcerer Brikoda sat on a silver throne.

Tevirik stood before her and said. "I am searching for the sacred chalice of my people, which has been stolen by an enchanted raven. Do you know where it might be?"

Brikoda sat for a while and thought, and then she said. "Several months ago I saw the bird fly out to the sea, and I sensed the magic of the one who sent it, but who that was, I cannot say. Perhaps, my sister, Kradira, may know, for she is wiser than I."

"Where may I find her?" Tevirik said.

"She lives in her palace, far to the south. To reach her, you must cross a sea of sand and that will not be easy."

"I have crossed the true sea of water in the west and a sea of grass in the north. Surely, a sea of sand shall prove no great obstacle."

The sorcerer made her welcome and Tevirik rested from her ordeal of crossing the grasslands and prepared for the journey ahead. After three days, she packed her gear and headed into the distant south.

She walked for many days until the land became hot and dry, and only a desert of barren sand stretched out before her. The wind whipped at the sand, building it high like waves on the open sea. The sun was like noon on the hottest summer's day, but Tevirik was not dismayed. She filled her goatskin bags with water and then set off across the desert.

The sand was so hot it burnt the soles of her feet. After four days, her water bags were empty and thirst tormented her, but she steadfastly walked ever southwards. At last, she arrived at a great palace. Inside this palace, the sorcerer Kradira sat on a golden throne.

Tevirik stood before her and said. "I am searching for the sacred chalice of my people, which has been stolen by an enchanted raven. Do you know where it might be?"

Kradira sat for a while and thought, and then she said. "Several months ago, I saw the bird return from the sea, and sensed the magic of the one who sent it, but who that was, I cannot say. Perhaps my sister, Jemera, may know, for she is the wisest of us all."

"Where may I find her?" Tevirik said.

"She lives in her castle, far to the east. To reach her, you must cross a sea of snow and that will not be easy."

"I have crossed the true sea of water in the west, a sea of grass in the north and a sea of sand in the south. Surely, a sea of snow shall prove no great obstacle."

The sorcerer made her welcome and Tevirik rested from her ordeal of crossing the desert and prepared for the journey ahead. After three days, she packed her gear and headed into the distant east.

For many days, she travelled, until a line of mountains appeared before her. Her road lead ever upward and an icy wind begun to blow. Soon, it became a torrent of snow and all the ground was lost in the billowing whiteness. The wind flung the snow against her, like a storm at sea when the tempest blots out the world and there is neither up nor down. Yet, Tevirik was not deterred. She fought her way forward though the blizzard, though the cold was so bitter that her hair froze to her head.

At last, she saw a castle, perched atop a rocky peak. "Surely, here I will learn how I may achieve my quest." she told herself.

It was a hard climb to the gates of the castle but Tevirik eventually reached her goal. As she was about to enter, she heard a furious roaring and saw a hideous monster charging towards her. Its claws were so sharp they dug holes in the rock and its teeth were as long as an arm. With scarcely time to think, Tevirik drew her sword and, with a single mighty stoke, cut off the monster's head.

Tevirik cleaned the blood from her sword on the monster's hide. When she stood up there was a woman standing before her. In an instant, Tevirik's eyes were blinded, so that she could not tell whether it was night or day.

"Who are you? And what have you done to me?" Tevirik cried out.

"I am the sorcerer Jemera. You have killed my basilisk so I have taken your sight in payment." the sorcerer said.

"I am sorry for the loss of your basilisk, but I only defended myself."

"Be that as it may, it was my beast and I must take payment for its death."

"If you will help me with my quest, I will gladly make what recompense I can." Tevirik said.

"Will you swear to meet whatever terms I say?" the sorcerer said.

"My people are not rich in gold or silver but, if it is within my power, I will do so." Tevirik said.

"Then let us go inside and talk further."

As the sorcerer spoke these words the blindness was lifted from Tevirik and she could see again. The two of them went into the castle and Jemera sat on a stone throne and Tevirik stood before her and said, "I am searching for the sacred chalice of my people, which has been stolen by and enchanted raven. Do you know where it might be?"

Jemera sat for a while and thought, and then she said. "Several months ago, I saw the bird fly out to sea and return from the sea. I sensed the magic of the one who sent it, and I know her name well. It was the evil sorcerer Levanno, an enemy of mine."

"Where does she live, and how do I find her?" Tevirik said.

"She lives under the mountains at the bottom of the earth. Finding her will not help you, for she will turn you to stone, as soon as she sees you."

"Nevertheless, I have sworn to recover the chalice and I will not turn aside from my quest."

"Then I will come with you. Yet there is still the question of payment for my basilisk." Jemera said.

"What are your terms?"

"You must swear that if I help retrieve your chalice and return it to your people, then you will follow me and serve me for five years."

"That I will gladly do." said Tevirik.

For three days, they rested in the castle, and then they packed their gear and set out. They walked all day and that night they made camp. As they prepared for sleep, Jemera said. "The entrance to Levanno's realm is not far from here and this area is guarded by many deadly traps. It would be wise if we took turns at keeping watch."

"I will take the first watch and wake you at midnight." replied Tevirik.

For the first half of the night, she kept a good watch, and it was as well that she did so, for an hour before midnight she heard howling and a pack of wolves appeared. Tevirik drew her sword and set about them, so that soon a dozen wolves lay dead and the rest were fleeing to save their lives. At midnight she woke the sorcerer and took her turn to sleep.

Jemera then keep a good watch, and it was as well that she did so, for an hour before dawn she heard the rattling of bones, and saw a horde of ghouls, with rotten flesh hanging from their skeletons. Jemera made a spell, so that a ball of fire flew towards the ghouls and they were burned to ash.

With daylight, Jemera awoke Tevirik, and the two women continued on their way, until they reached the entrance to a large cave. Then Jemera spoke. "Now listen to what I will say. Levanno is a mighty sorcerer, and any warrior, no matter how brave or strong, can have no hope against her. I have a plan so that this may work to our advantage. When Levanno sees us, she will know I am a sorcerer and will see me as a threat. But you she will not fear, and so her first attack will be directed at me. I will give you an enchanted magpie. Keep it hidden under your cloak and, when the two of us are locked in battle, release it. Around Levanno's neck is an iron amulet that holds the root of her power. The magpie will fly to Levanno and take the amulet. Without it Levanno will be powerless."

Tevirik agreed with the plan and so the two women entered the cave. Once inside, they were surrounded by a crowd of tiny people. They were so small they barely reached to Tevirik's waist. Finding herself surrounded, she would have drawn her sword but Jemera restrained her, and said, "These are good folk who have been enslaved by Levanno. To gain their freedom, they will help us and lead us to where she is."

They followed the small folk deep into the caves and at last reached a huge cavern. Standing in the middle was Levanno. The two sorcerers glared at each other, and then Jemera said. "Levanno, many times have you tried to kill me, now will I have my revenge."

"Fool. All you will get is your death, for I am mightier than you." Levanno replied.

And so they began to fight with balls of fire and lightning bolts and magic arrows of ice. The sound was so terrible that the small folk fled from the cavern, but Tevirik knew no fear. She got as close to Levanno as she could, without being burned or frozen by the magical weapons that the two sorcerers hurled at each other. Then, she opened her cloak and the magpie flew out. The bird circled the cavern once and then dived down and plucked the amulet from Levanno's neck. The evil sorcerer screamed as she felt her power ebb. Jemera hurled one last fireball, greater than any she had yet cast, and cracked open the roof above Levanno's head. The rocks crashed down and ended Levanno's wicked life.

Tevirik and Jemera then searched the cavern and found the chalice, stored with piles of gold, silver and precious gems. "Do you want to take your share of the spoils?" Jemera asked.

"No, all I want is the chalice." Tevirik replied.

"That is wise." said Jemera. "For the gold, silver and gems are cursed and if you took as much as the smallest coin, you would not live another day."

The two women left the cave and travelled west for many days until they reached the seashore where they found Tevirik's boat and sailed back to Storenseg.

Great was the rejoicing at Tevirik's return with the chalice, but her mother's tears of joy soon turned to tears of sorrow when she learned her daughter was oath-bound to leave again and serve the sorcerer for five years.

For many days, there was feasting on Storenseg, but the time for Tevirik to leave grew close. On the last night, Tevirik's younger sister, who was called Laughs-at-danger, came to speak with her.

"You have achieved great things for the island. It is now my turn. May I not go in your place and serve this sorcerer?" Tevirik's sister said.

Tevirik sighed and replied, "Alas that may not be. It was my oath and I must discharge it. Yet, it is heavy in my heart that this sorcerer will lead me to my death. In five years I may return, otherwise wait for three more years. If I have not returned by then, you will know that I no longer walk among the living. In that case, I entrust to you the care of our mother and our people. Guard them wisely and well."

Laughs-at-danger wept as she heard these words and swore she would do as her sister asked. The next day, the island gathered on the shore and watched as the boat with Tevirik and the sorcerer Jemera sailed away.

Everyone waited for the return of Tevirik but, after three years, her mother could bear no more and died of a broken heart, wishing only for the return of her brave and noble daughter. The next winter, the old Queen also died and there was no one to rule the island, so the matriarchs of the families came to Laughs-at-danger and said.

"Your mother and grandmother are dead and Tevirik is not here, therefore will you become our Queen?"

"No." said Laughs-at-danger, "For my sister is due to return soon. I will not usurp her place. However, if you wish, I will rule as regent."

For four years, Laughs-at-danger was regent of Storenseg. Each morning, she walked onto the cliffs and looked out to sea, hoping for sight of her sister's boat, yet her vigil was in vain.

At last, the matriarchs came to her again and said, "The time for your sister's return has passed, beyond all hope that she will come home. The uncertainly of a regency harms the interests of Storenseg. Therefore, we beg you to become our Queen."

Laughs-at-danger bowed her head and wept but she could no longer hope to see her brave sister again this side of death. So, she built a pyre on the beach and held the funeral feast for Tevirik. Then, she took the Queen's throne and ruled Storenseg for many years, wisely and well, and her daughter and granddaughter after her. For Princess Tevirik never returned to the island of her birth, nor did any word come back of what fate befell her.




THE END

========================================


Once again, I would like to offer thanks to my beta readers, Pam and Cybernana, for putting up with, among other things, my random use of commas and hyphens, and for sifting a few holes out of the plot.

I would also like to thank any readers who have stuck with the story this long. All and any comments are welcome - including flames, since I have a very warped sense of humour.

Finally, I would like to thank Lizzy for, many years ago, refusing to let me talk her through this plot and insisting that she would only pay attention to the story when I had put it down on paper. Without her intransigence I would never have written anything.


Return to Main Page