Our Reunion
jenah@tampabay.rr.com

Chapter 45

Tina cut the turkey sandwiches and put them on a large plate. She smiled when she heard the water running in the bathroom. Samantha's awake... good thing I made enough for two. After grabbing a couple of drinks from the refrigerator, she took the snack into the living room and set it on the coffee table.

"Hi." Sam came out of the bedroom, wearing one of Tina's Florida State tee shirts. As she walked in front of the large patio windows, the fading afternoon light behind her made the white cloth translucent. It was obvious she wore nothing else.

"Hi." Tina looked at the woman approvingly. "Nice outfit."

"You like it?"

"Yes." Tina put her arms around the blonde. "Very much so."

"This is elegant." Sam ran her hands over the smooth, navy-colored material of the silk robe Tina had on. Light blue piping around the edges of the long-sleeved, knee length clothing matched her eyes.

"Vivian gave it to me one Christmas. I... um... haven't worn it before." Never had a reason to.

"It's beautiful." Sam untied the belt and slid her hands inside the robe, happy to discover only bare skin underneath. "But nowhere near as beautiful as the woman wearing it."

Tina reacted to the soft touch with a sharp intake of breath.

Sam smiled and looked up at her partner. "Have I told you lately that I love you?"

"Umm... yeah... I think so."

"I... I hope I didn't get too carried away for you. It's just that I waited FOREVER to say it... and once I did... I couldn't seem to say it enough."

"It's okay." Tina bent her head to give Sam a kiss. "I couldn't seem to hear it enough, either."

"Really?"

"Yes. I..." Tina paused when her stomach rumbled loudly.

Both women laughed.

"Umm... I made some sandwiches."

"Great... I'm starving!"

They sat on the couch, devouring the sandwiches and grinning at each other whenever they made eye contact. Sam noticed that it was beginning to get dark outside and glanced at the clock on the VCR. "I guess I slept for quite a while."

"Yes, you did." A playful twinkle appeared in Tina's eyes. "Though, I must say, your timing wasn't the best."

"What?"

"Well... as I recall, I had just taken off the remainder of your clothes and was about to..."

"Oh!" Sam felt a blush rise to her face as she realized what had happened. "I'm sorry..."

"It's all right." Tina took the soda the blonde was holding, put it on the table, and pulled her into a hug. "I think maybe you... overexerted yourself," she chuckled. "You have to take it easy. You're still recuperating from your injury."

"I don't want to take it easy." Sam kissed the hollow of Tina's throat. "Now that I've had my nap and sandwich.... I'm feeling... umm..."

"Revitalized?"

"That's one word you could use." Small hands made their way beneath the silky material again. "This has certainly been a memorable Thanksgiving, hasn't it?"

"And it's not even over yet."

"Mmmm... excellent point. What do you say we go back to bed?"

"Good idea." Tina pulled Sam up with her as she stood. "Let's go."

They quickly retired to the bedroom. Sam slid the robe off Tina's shoulders and trailed her fingers along warm skin. "I love touching you."

The tall woman responded with a passionate kiss before lifting the tee shirt over Sam's head. They lay on the bed with Tina propped up on one elbow so she could look at her partner.

Several moments passed and Sam smiled at Tina's expression. It was a combination of love, vulnerability, and a dash of childlike wonder. I'm the only one she allows to see this side of her. I'm the one she's let into her heart. I'm the one she loves... even though she still doesn't seem ready to say it. "T?"

"Hmm?"

"What are you thinking about?"

"Umm... how beautiful you are... how you stir up so many feelings inside me... how I wish I could put it all into words for you." Tina's voice dropped to a whisper. "How I know you need to hear it."

"That's a pretty good start."

"It is?"

"Yeah." Sam moved her arms up over her head. "It'll do for now."

"Y... you don't have to do that."

"It's my choice. I want you to know that body... heart... soul... everything... I'm yours."

"I... I..."

"Shhh... I know." Sam looked into blue eyes full of love. "Show me."

And she did.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Mrs. Whitwell surveyed the group of relatives seated at the large dining room table. So far, everything was going according to plan. She had fielded all the questions concerning Sam's absence and everyone seemed satisfied with her explanation that her daughter was not quite up to the hustle and bustle of a holiday party so soon after a car accident.

Mike kissed his wife's cheek. "You okay?"

"Yeah... I'm just missing Sam."

"Me, too."

Lisa watched as her mother buzzed about the room. She loves this kind of thing. Playing the hostess, a house full of people... except for my sister...

"Mom?" Aaron interrupted the woman's train of thought.

"Yes?"

"May I have another glass of milk?"

"Sure."

"I'll get it." Mrs. Whitwell put a hand on Lisa's shoulder before she could move. "I'm already up." She hurried into the kitchen.

"Where's Sam today? She never misses these family gatherings."

Uh oh... Lisa glanced down the table at her cousin Frankie. He had arrived just as dinner was being served and evidently didn't hear the story her mother had told the other guests.

"She was in a car accident, but thank goodness, she's all right," Aunt Mary remarked.

"She's in the hospital?"

"She's at Tina's." Joshua smiled, happy to mention his special friend.

All eyes shifted to the young boy, who had volunteered this new piece of information.

"Joshua!" Lisa hissed across the table, trying to stop her son from saying anything further.

"Who's Tina?" Frankie asked.

Mrs. Whitwell stopped in the doorway, glass of milk in her hand. Did someone say Tina?

Joshua, thrilled to suddenly be the center of attention, continued, "She's Auntie Sam's girlfriend."

There was a split second of silence before the glass slipped from Mrs. Whitwell's hand and shattered on the ceramic tile floor. Mike leaped from his chair to catch the pale woman as she fainted.

Then everyone seemed to start talking at once.

It was a memorable Thanksgiving, indeed.
 

To be continued...

Visit the Our Reunion art page!  http://dtlart.8m.com/Jenah.html
 


Return to Main Page