~ Paradox of Love ~
J. M. Dragon & E. O'Reilly
© J.M. Dragon  &  E. O'Reilly 2007

Disclaimer
This story primarily features stories involving women. If it is illegal in the state, province, or country in which you live; or if you are under the age of 18, please find something else to read.The events portrayed in this story are fictional and any resemblance to actual events and/or people is purely coincidental.

Language - Violence - Hurt/Comfort:  There are elements of strong language, violence,  physical and/or mental, as well as emotional hurt and discomfort in this story.

The events portrayed in this story are fictional and any resemblance to actual events and/or people is purely coincidental. 

Acknowledgments - Thank you Teresa, Parker, Nancy and Mel for your invaluable help in feedback and editing this story.

Dedication: This story is dedicated to Parker who graciously let us use her name.


Prologue

Often in life, we find something or meet someone and our worlds are never the same again. Soon our universe revolves around that which once was unknown and we do whatever it takes to make the object or person ours.

There comes a time in life that you have to let go–really let go. Allowing another inside your personal space and setting aside your differences. When that happens, it can be the most fulfilling time of your life…or, it can change you forever. You throw away what once was secure for a meteoric fall into uncertainty. 


Chapter 1

 

The year was 1996 and a cloud of bluish smoke followed the red 67 Mustang convertible into town. When the driver finally saw a sign that read mechanic on duty, she nursed the vehicle up to garage. Parker Davis opened the car door and got out. “I’m glad I made it this far,” she said as she waved the smoke filled air away from her nose.

A small man with greasy hair and greasier hands walked over to her. “Looks like yer burning oil,” he said.

“No shit.” Parker wondered about the wisdom of not looking further for a mechanic. “Can you fix it?”

“There ain’t a car made I can’t fix.”

“I’m not interested in other cars only mine. How much will it cost me?”

“You’re lookin’ at an engine overhaul.” The man scratched the stubble on his face. “I’d say it’ll run you about fifteen hundred give or take some.”

She wanted to make sure the man knew she understood the problem so he wouldn’t try to hoodwink her. “Can’t you just fix the pistons?”

“Sure I can, but you won’t be happy. If you’re gonna fix it you’re gotta fix it right.”

Parker closed her eyes and mentally calculated if she could afford the repair. “Is there a place close by to stay?”

“Sure is…about a half mile down that-a-way is Sleepy Town.”

The woman shook her head and looked around at the nearby structures. They didn’t look too bad. “When can you have it done?”

“Well I got one car ahead of you and two waitin’…”

Parker held her hand up. “I’m not interested in spending my life in this town I just want my car fixed.”

Again, the man scratched his face. “I can have it done in a week give or take a few.”

“Ok, why don’t you come by that motel in about a half hour and pick my car up.”

“Sure will little lady…hmm since you’re from out of town I need some sort of deposit.”

The woman fished in her pocket and pulled out a credit card. “I’ll give you a third now and the rest when it is done.”

The man shook his head and turned slightly before pointing at a sign that read NO CREDIT.

“Shit, I don’t need this,” she muttered. “When you come to get the car I’ll have the cash for you.”

“Ok, just remember no cash no fix.” He nodded at her. “I’ll see you in half an hour give or take a few.”

+ + +

Parker was surprised that the Sleepy Town Motel was clean and cheap. She lay on the bed with her hands behind her neck listening to some ridiculous program on the television. “This car repair is going to take most of my money,” she lamented to the bald man selling cars. What she needed was a paying job.

Over the years since graduating, Parker never seemed to be able to settle down in one place. She was constantly looking for someone or someplace that would give her life meaning. Fortunately, her degree made finding a job easy and she knew just where to find one. She reached over and pulled the phonebook out of the drawer of the nightstand. “Hmm, let’s see, this should be a piece of cake.” She laughed. “This place makes those other places I've worked look like a one horse town.” She laughed again. “Because they were!” She looked at the phonebook cover and noted the name of the town–Portsmouth. “Here goes nothing,” she said to a tall blonde woman on the television. “Wish me luck.”

“Portsmouth Police Department,” a female voice said.

“Yes, hello, my name is Parker Davis and I am enquiring about applying for a position. Can you please tell me if you have any openings?”

“Just a second, let me transfer you.”

Parker drummed her fingers on the bed as she waited for what she thought was an inordinate amount of time. Finally, she heard, “I understand you are looking for employment. We don’t have any clerical openings at this time, but I can put your name on a list.”

“I’m afraid I didn’t make myself clear Ms…”

“Hughes, Mildred Hughes.”

“Thanks, nice to meet you Mildred.”

“What kind of work with the department are you looking for?”

“A patrol officer.”

“You can’t just apply for that position over the phone…it takes months of training and evaluations before we would even consider hiring you.”

“Again, I’m sorry for not making myself understood. I have a degree in criminal justice and three years experience with two police departments.”

“Still it just isn’t that easy.”

“What do I have to do to make that happen?”

“First and foremost is we don’t hire over the phone.”

Parker exaggerated her response by speaking slowly. “Ok, Mildred can you tell me if you have any openings?”

“That is not something I can discuss over the phone. As I said, it’s not something we do over the phone.”

“I understand that Mildred. Is there any way I can come in and talk with you about the possibility of working there? I’m sure making an appointment would be better than just showing up.”

To Parker, it was clear by the tone of the woman’s voice that she was irritated. The woman said, “Just one moment.” The line went silent.

She needed a job. She could always work as a waitress like she did in college. She heard a click and then Mildred’s voice.

“Can you come in and meet with Sgt. McGivney tomorrow morning?”

“I sure can. What time?”

“Ten o’clock…and, your name again is…”

“Parker, Parker Davis.”

“Tell the desk sergeant you have the appointment, he’ll give you a visitor’s pass and show you where to go.”

“Thank you Mildred I look forward to meeting you in person.”

Silence ensued. “Goodbye,” Mildred finally said.


Chapter 2

 

Marcus McGivney was a well muscled man with a bald head and eyes that were dark and ominous. The white shirt he wore clung to his arm as muscles, that seemed to cry for release, flexed when he motioned Parker to sit. “We don’t have many people call out of the blue for a job.”

“I just got to town and I figured the most direct way to find out was to call,” Parker said. She confidently pulled her shoulders back and held her head high. “I assume since I got an appointment that there are positions open.”

“For the right person there is.”

Parker opened her briefcase, took out a folder and slid it across the desk. “In there you will find a copy of my degree, along with my GPA. You will see that I graduated cum laude and the letters of recommendation from my professors will verify that I am more than qualified for a patrol job. I also included a letter from the chief of police in Hamilton where I worked for two years.”

“Why did you leave?”

“Have you ever been to Hamilton Sgt. McGivney?” When he nodded, she continued. “Well if you had, you would know why. I felt like Barney Fife would appear at any minute.” Parker laughed.

The sergeant seemed to relax some as a smile crossed his face exposing his white teeth that glistened in contrast to his dark skin. “You’re not a Mayberry girl.”

“Not at all,” she said. “I thought I’d go mad if I had to go rescue one more cat…we had one woman who installed a burglar alarm and kept setting it off at least once a week.” Parker let out a genuine laugh. “Believe it or not that was a highlight.”

McGivney shook his head. “Yeah, when I started out it was in a small town too.” He picked up the letters of recommendation and his eyes quickly scanned the pages. “Is Dr. Chetek a short little guy with curly grey hair and a moustache?”

“Yes, do you know him?”

“He was one of my professors. He was old fifteen years ago so he must have been ancient when he taught you.” With a smile, he returned his eyes to the documents. “We have a class of new recruits starting next week. Would you like to join them?”

Bingo. “Yes I would.”

“I’ll need to verify your references and if everything checks out I will get back with you with the particulars.” He opened a desk drawer and took out some papers. “You’ll need to fill these out today.”

“Ok.”

“Do you have a number where I can reach you?”

Parker felt her cheeks get hot. “I don’t have a phone…I’m staying at the Sleepy Town Motel…room twelve.”

The man jotted the information on a pad of paper. “I’ll call you sometime in the next few days.”

“Great.” Parker stood up and extended her hand. “It was great meeting you and I look forward to working here.”

McGivney shook the woman’s hand. “I’ll be in touch.”

+ + +

True to his word, McGivney called her two days later. “Ms. Davis we need to set up the time for your testing. You’ll need to take various qualification tests so we can know what areas you are strong or weak in.”

“I see,” Parker said. “Exactly what does that entail?”

“Weapons, psych eval, a physical, and the obstacle course.”

Parker grinned–she could do them all with one hand tied behind her back. “Makes sense. Where and when?”

“Your psych eval is tomorrow at eight. Just tell them out front you are here for psych and someone will escort you to Dr. McKinney’s office.”


Chapter 3

 

The next morning Parker arrived a few minutes before eight and a woman, Officer Campbell, escorted her to her psych evaluation. Once there she found herself sitting opposite Dr. McKinney, a smallish woman with horn rimmed glasses that seemed to magnify her eyes.

“First I want you to look over this questionnaire and answer each question as honestly as possible. From your answers, I will ask you a series of questions that will help me to evaluate your fitness for the job. Shall we begin?” When Parker nodded, the doctor handed her three sheets of paper.”

Forty-five minutes later, Parker handed the papers back to the woman. “Here you go,” she said. She watched as the doctor read her answers trying to gauge her reaction – she saw none.

Dr. McKinney looked across her desk at Parker and adjusted her glasses before she spoke. “Did you answer these questions truthfully or how you thought the department wanted them answered?”

Parker frowned and creased her forehead. “Excuse me? Are you questioning my honesty?” She wanted to add bitch, but decided that wouldn’t be prudent.

A thin smile crossed the small woman’s face. “No.”

For a long time Parker stared at the woman debating why she asked such a question. She wasn’t top of her class because she was a dummy. She answered the questions exactly as her psych teacher instructed. The question facing her now was should she protest or say nothing more–silence ensued.

Eliza McKinney tried to gauge the woman across from her. To all appearances, she was, as she appeared, supremely confident. In all her years of evaluating officers and those that wanted to join the force, Eliza never had anyone answer all the questions in the way Parker Davis did. The woman did take an inordinate amount of time to answer the questions and left no stone unturned–nothing was open ended. Eliza shook her head slightly. It seemed to her that the young woman tried to maneuver her is such a way that she had no more questions to ask. Surprise, I do. In an effort to affect a passionate response, she asked, “You say you are not in favor of capital punishment, yet at the same time you say you would have no problem shooting someone and killing them. How can you justify those two positions?”

Parker raised her eyebrows and slightly tilted her head in concentration. Her nimble mind assessed the question and she considered a proper answer - there was none. She desperately wanted to clear her throat, but knew the doctor would see that as a sign of deception or nervousness. “If a person is threatening me, a fellow officer, or an innocent bystander with a weapon with the intent of doing bodily harm and the only solution is to kill him, I would. As for the death penalty as a result of a trial…there are other options.”

The doctor sat with her fingers bridged with two index fingers tapping her lips as she listened and watched Parker intently. She noted that the pitch and cadence of the woman’s voice did not change and that her eyes never wavered from the scrutiny. “You would feel no emotion if you had to kill someone?” she countered.

“Of course I would, but if it is the only choice I have it is what I will do.” Parker affected a slight tremor in her voice as she said the words. It wouldn’t do to have the psychologist think of her as a psychopath with no emotions.

When Dr. McKinney heard the tremulous answer, and was glad that the woman finally answered something with emotion. “I think I have everything I need for my evaluation Ms. Davis.” She stood, rounded her desk, and extended her hand to the woman. “Take care.”

Parker nodded and said, “I will…you too.” There was no need to ask how she did–she aced it.

The doctor watched Parker’s back leave the room and close the door. “Hmm, she’s most interesting indeed.” For a long moment, she contemplated Parker trying to make a judgment as to whether she made the call or not. She sifted through her papers then picked up the woman’s answer sheets and let her eyes slide across the pages. “Qualifications…does she meet them or not.” Eliza swirled her chair around and looked out the window as her mind processed all she knew about Parker Davis. With a nod, she turned back around, picked up her phone, and dialed. When she heard the familiar voice of her long time colleague she said, “I’ve found the perfect candidate.”


Chapter 4

 

When Parker exited the physiologist’s office, she saw the black female with the disarming smile who escorted her there waiting. “You ready to go and try your hand at shooting?”

Parker smiled and nodded. “Yep, all ready for the next challenge.” Never being one to pass up the opportunity to flirt with a beautiful woman she looked at the woman by her side and said, “By the way, my first name is Parker.”

“Jill,” the woman said.

“Glad to meet you Jill,” she said with her sweetest smile. “Have you worked for the department long?”

The officer saw the wink that followed the question, blushed, and had the distinct impression that the woman was flirting with her. “About five years. My husband and I both work here.”

Inwardly Parker shook her head that the woman had a permanent relationship. She could have used a diversion while she waited to be accepted. “What division?”

“Homicide.”

She let her eyes roam the woman’s body. “I bet you’re good at that, Jill. Poking around looking for clues as to who did it,” Parker said flirtatiously. “Yep, I can see that you are very good indeed.”

Jill, who secretly enjoying the flirtations just shook her head. “Here we are,” she said pointing to a door that had a sign that said don’t forget to protect your ears. Jill slid a card through the reader before pushing the door open. When a round man in his fifties approached them she said, “Tom Bishop, this is Parker Davis.”

“Ah, yes I’ve been waiting for her.” He looked at the tall woman next to Jill and said, “Well, come on then. I’ll get you some head gear. What kind of gun would you prefer?”

“I get a choice,” Parker said affecting surprise in her voice. “Wow, that’s great. Golly I don’t know which one to pick. What would you suggest Tom?”

Tom’s face lit up. “Well you’re askin’ the right person.” He looked Parker up and down and said, “Shake my hand.”

Parker automatically shot her hand out to greet the man’s hand.

“Strong grip, I like that.” He shook his head as he pondered which weapon to give the woman. “I’ll be right back.”

Minutes later Tom reappeared with three guns. “I have a Glock 31, it is a good choice…has fifteen rounds …about two pounds.” He held up the next one. “This FN Five-seveN has low recoil and very little muzzle movement…holds up to twenty rounds.” Tom smiled as he held up the last gun. “And this is my favorite sidearm the 357 Sig. This beauty with the right bullets will penetrate anything.”

A slow smile crossed Parker’s face when she saw the Sig. It would have been her choice too. “Let’s try the Sig.”

Pleased with Parker’s selection, Tom handed her the gun along with protective headgear. “Use station five.” He followed her into the cubicle and said. “This is how you stand…one foot in front the other in the back for balance.” He looked at Jill. “If you’re stayin’ in here you need protection too.” Jill nodded and fitted the ear protection over her head.

Parker dutifully followed the man’s instructions.

“Good,” Tom said. “You right handed or left?”

“Left.”

“Ok hold the gun with your left hand and steady it with the right.” He watched as the woman took the proper stance and held the weapon at shoulder height. “Aim at the circle on the target and then squeeze the trigger slowly. Then we’ll check how you did.”

Tom moved behind Parker and next to Jill before he pulled on his ear protection. Then he tapped Parker on the shoulder.

Parker took off the safety and held the gun in two hands just as Tom instructed. She looked at the black cut out of a person and took aim before she squeezed the trigger. Bang, bang - six shots fired out of the gun in rapid succession.

“Hey,” Tom yelled. “I said one round!”

Parker let the smile leave her face before she turned around. “I’m sorry it just happened.”

“If you’re going to work here little lady you need to have complete control of your weapon at all times and follow directions!”

“I know…I’m sorry.”

Tom, clearly annoyed, gritted his teeth and said, “Let’s see how you did.” He flipped a switch and the silhouette slowly moved toward them. Tom frowned. “I only see one hole.” He turned an angry face at Parker. “That is exactly what I mean…you can’t just fire away…you have to know where you firing!” When it came closer, he opened his mouth, gasped and looked at Parker with wide eyes. “You got all six in the same hole? That’s impossible”

Parker looked at Jill and winked. “I can’t believe it!”

Perturbed, Tom pushed a button and said, “Get your butt up here.” Once Parker was by his side he said, “Moving targets will come up randomly across the firing range…see how many you can hit.”

With a nod, Parker readjusted the headgear and held the gun at the ready. Soon a silhouette popped up on her left and she shot. It was just like duck hunting back home for Parker. The man could keep the targets coming all day.

Once the onslaught of targets stopped, Tom began checking them for accuracy–each had a hit in the kill zone. Tom shook his head. “I’ve never seen anything like this.” He looked at Parker. “What’s your secret?”

A genuine smiled crossed her face. “Duck hunting.” She failed to mention that she won awards for her sharp shooting.

“Go on, get out of here. I’ll send my report on you upstairs as soon as I fill it out.” He watched the woman go and let out a low grow. The woman was devious and he didn’t much care for her. She did however, have a good eye for accuracy.

Parker turned to Jill and said, “Where to next?”

Jill looked at her watch. “You have and appointment for a complete physical with Dr. Hill in twenty minutes. “You shouldn’t have done that to Tom.”

“Done what?” Parker asked innocently.

“Suckered him like that. He’s a good guy and one day you’ll need him and he’ll remember what you did to him.”

Parker waved her hand. “No he won’t…I bet he’s on the phone right now telling everyone about the woman who is a crack shot. Besides, he never asked if I knew how to fire a gun.”

Jill laughed. “Yeah, you’re probably right, but still, that wasn’t a nice thing to do to him. He really is a good guy.”

“Tell you what I’ll do…if I get this job I’ll make a point of telling him thanks for his recommendation even though I was…a ringer and hustled him.” She laughed and when the woman next to her did too, she breathed a sigh of relief. She didn’t want to piss the man him off for she might need him someday. Parker knew it was a dumb move on her part, but the man should have asked if she shot a gun before.


Chapter 5

 

When Parker walked into Elisabeth Hill’s office, she liked what she saw. The evidence of a well toned body gave her a fluid appearance. She was lean like a runner with blue eyes that reminded Parker of pools of glacial water. There was no doubt the woman was hot.

“Please have a seat Ms. Davis. I have a few questions before I begin the exam.”

Unable to stop herself, Parker winked at the doctor and said, “I like the sounds of that.” Then as if she realized that she said her thoughts aloud she added, “I’m sorry. I just came from a grueling hour at the practice range. I was way out of line with that comment.”

Elisabeth eyed her patient. “Well I hope this won’t be as grueling for you,” she said with a laugh.

Parker looked at the woman again and sighed. “I can tell already that you are a step way up from Tom.” When she saw the doctor smile, she relaxed. “You’ll be gentle with me won’t you?” she said only to shake her head. “Sorry, I did it again.”

The doctor laughed. “The word incorrigible comes to mind.”

The bemused look on the doctor’s face told Parker all she needed to know–the doctor liked her flirting. She scratched her face and said, “Yeah, do you mind,” she said already knowing what the doctor’s response would be.

“No…no not at all.” She shuffled the papers on her desk, brought them together, and tapped the edges. “Shall we begin?”

“By all means Doc, fire away.”

After Dr. Hill gathered all the information about her patient’s medical history, she stood up. “Now I’ll need you to go into the exam room.” She pointed to a door that was partially open. “You’ll find a gown on the table. Take off all your clothes and put the gown on so it opens in the front.”

Parker couldn’t help the lascivious smile that crossed her face. “Sounds good to me,” she said with a wiggle of her eyebrows.

The look on her patient’s face made Elisabeth feel exposed and vulnerable. “When you’re ready just crack open the door.”

With a wink and a smile, Parker went into the exam room, removed her clothes, put on the gown, and opened the door slightly before hopping up on the exam table. The wait for the doctor added fuel to the fire that was already searing her libido. If everything worked out, the doctor would be in her bed by nightfall.

As Elisabeth routinely examined Parker’s eyes, nose, and mouth, she couldn’t completely squelch her body’s reaction to the woman. She was certain that the woman’s flirtatious ways were an indication of her interest in pursuing a relationship beyond the exam and she couldn’t let that happen. She had a fiancée and she loved the man but he never quite satisfied her as women did.

She lifted her stethoscope and listened to a slow steady heartbeat before she frowned. For a moment, she wondered if she misinterpreted the woman’s flirting.  “When was your last pap?”

“Hmm, that would be never.”

“Do you check your breasts every month?”

When the doctor looked in her direction, Parker winked. “I like to leave that to…um, others.”

Elisabeth swallowed hard, pulled back the gown to expose her patient’s left breast. “You really should get in the habit of doing a self exam at least once a month. While you’re showering is a good time,” she said as she pressed her fingers in a circular motion around Parker’s breast. “Just because you’re twenty-five doesn’t mean you’re not at risk.”

For her part, Parker closed her eyes and allowed her body to react to the ministrations of the doctor. She unconsciously sighed as her nipples swelled and she became wet.

Elisabeth knew that the way her body was reacting meant she needed the woman in her bed and she couldn’t let that happen. “You can sit up now,” she said.

Parker’s eyebrow lifted in question. “All done Doc?”

“Yes, you can get dressed then come back into my office.”

“You sure you want that?”

Elisabeth felt her face flush. “I’ll see you there Ms. Davis,” she said over her shoulder as she hurried out of the room.

As she watched the doctor leave, Parker chuckled. My, my I do believe I made her nervous. Once she was dressed, she re-enter office and found the doctor not there. Parker went to the window and looked down to the parking lot below. When she heard the door open, a crooked smile crossed her face. “Which one is yours?” she asked.

“Pardon me?”

“Which car is yours? No don’t tell me let me guess.” She spun around and gave the doctor a thoughtful look. “You’re definitely not the sedan or SUV type and I can’t see you in a hybrid. I think your vehicle is the BMW convertible.”

Elisabeth’s eyes widened. “Yes it is.”

“That tells me that the PD job isn’t full time and you probably have a practice of your own.”

“Are you looking for position as a detective?” the doctor asked. “You’re very good at deductions.”

Parker nodded. “Am I considered a patient of yours? I should think not since the police department pays your salary and you work for them.”

“You’re still my patient and have the right to expect confidentiality regarding anything about your health.”

“But, technically once I leave here we are no longer on a patient doctor relationship…right.”

“Technically no, but I would still hold anything about your or what you tell me in the strictest of confidence.”

“I’ve been in town five days. My car is in the shop so all I’ve seen of Portsmouth is what’s between here and the motel.” Parker moved away from the window and toward the doctor. “Will you have dinner with me tonight?”

Flustered, Elisabeth just stared at her patient while her body reacted with pleasure at the thought of going on a date with the tall woman. Yes. “No I don’t think I can.”

“Why? You’re not my doctor. Are you already in a relationship?”

“I’m engaged to a wonderful man.”

“So. It’s only dinner.” Parker smiled as her finger made an imaginary cross over her heart. “Promise I don’t bite…well…” she said with a wink. “I’d love the company it’s the pits eating alone.”

Elisabeth shook her head. “Sorry I can’t.”

Parker moved so the space between them was negligible. “You sure about that?”

No. The doctor could feel her body tremble. “I just can’t.” She moved away from her patient and let out a breath. “My medical finding is that you are physically fit for the job. Of course I will need the results of your blood work but judging by your fitness that won’t be a problem.” She pulled a business card from a holder on her desk and handed it to Parker. “If you have any further questions…”

Parker blinked her acknowledgement and went toward the door certain that the doctor would be in her bed that night.


Chapter 6

 

As she closed the door behind her, Parker saw Jill waiting for her. “What’s next?”

“We need to leave the building and go out to the department’s training facility. Once you’ve gone through the obstacle course you’ll be done for the day.”

Parker looked at her watch. “It’s after twelve, do you want to grab a bite to eat before they check out my physical prowess?” she said with a laugh.

“You want to eat before a work out…somehow I don’t think that’s wise.”

With a gentle pat on the woman’s back, Parker headed for the door. “Come on, I’ll buy after I change into my workout clothes.”

An hour and a half later, the squad car Jill Campbell drove pulled up outside a fenced facility. She swiped her card in the reader and the gates opened. Jill pointed to a small building several hundred yards away. “There’s where you will meet Alec Manheim.”

“He’s the guy in charge of the obstacle course?”

“Yes, he designed the course and is responsible for maintaining the area along with evaluating recruits.”

“Hmm, so this is his baby so to speak.”

Jill stopped the vehicle in front of the small building and looked at Parker with a smile. “You catch on fast.” When Parker reached for the handle to open the door Jill said, “Don’t try to hoodwink Alec, he’s not someone you want to be on the wrong side of if you get my drift.”

Parker let out a belly laugh. “Trust me Jill, there isn’t a man alive that I can’t charm.” She got out of the car still laughing and walked toward the building then knocked on the door.

She wasn’t sure what she was expecting, but Alec Manheim was nothing like she’d ever seen before. Her brother Frank was well over six four and weighed a good two thirty, but this man was bigger…a lot bigger with sculpted muscle that would make a body builder proud. She tried to hide her surprise by smiling and holding out her hand. “Parker Davis I believe you were expecting me.”

“Forty-five minutes ago. Believe it or not lady I am not on your schedule.” He looked past Parker and smiled at Jill. “Hey, Jill how’s the old man?”

“Rick’s doin’ good Alec.”

“How’d you get this duty? Is crime so slow that they are pulling detectives for escort service?”

Jill felt her back stiffen. “No.”

“You go on back to the station Jill…I’ve got it from here.”

“McGivney told me to stay with her.”

“You just go on…I’ll square things with McGivney.”

Parker felt her stomach roll and soon she tasted the sandwich she had for lunch again. She felt her hackles rise as she assessed the macho man. She was certain she could out run him and chuckled under her breath. His intimidation tactics wouldn’t work on her.

Jill said, “I’ll radio him and see what he wants me to do.” She turned around not allowing the man to reply and walked quickly to the squad car.

Cold dark eyes focused on Jill as she walked away before turning to take in Parker. “So you’re the bitch that snookered Tom.” He looked her up and down. “Don’t you dare try any of that crap on me,” he said pointing a finger at her. “You won’t survive to brag about it if you do.”

Parker saw red as she clenched her fists and looked the man square in the eyes. “Bring it on.”

As the two eyes sparred for superiority, Jill got out of her car and approached them. Manheim was not a man anyone ever stood up to yet she saw the possible new hire doing just that. “Alec, McGivney told me to stay here until you’re done.” The cool measured tone of her voice had both combatants looking in her direction. “He said it wouldn’t hurt if I ran the course with her.” She ran a hand over her stomach and wondered again how she let Parker talk her into having a sandwich.

Manheim grunted. “You,” he said pointing his finger again at Parker. “Just remember what I said.”

Parker took several steps until she was in the man’s personal space. “Don’t you ever threaten me again or point your finger at me.”

Jill gulped and watched as Alec Manheim, whose reputation as a hard nosed, do everything my way took a step backwards. “You two meet over there at the gate. Be ready to start when I get there.” Then he walked back into the building and slammed the door behind him.

“Damn Parker, he’s not someone you want to play around with.”

Cold hard eyes met Jill’s before they softened. “I don’t like bullies and I really don’t like being threatened.” Parker winked and said, “You sure you want to do this with me. I have a feeling I’m getting the super difficult expert course.”

Jill smiled and started walking toward the entrance of the course. “I can handle it just not so sure about my full stomach.”

Parker patted Jill on the back. “Yes, I do believe you can.” As the two stood waiting for Manheim to join them Parker drummed her fingers on her thigh. “I hope he hurries up, I might have a date tonight.”

“Shh,” Jill said. “Here he comes. The last thing you want is for him to know that…he’ll keep you here all night.”

“No he won’t,” Parker said confidently. “He’s afraid of me.”

Halfway through the grueling course Jill started to limp – she’d pulled her hamstring. “Shit,” she said.

Although being timed, Parker turned back and went to the aid of the woman. “Hey, let me help you.”

“No, no go on ahead. Alec is close by with his golf cart…I’ll hitch a ride with him.”

“Until I see you on that cart I’m not leaving you out here alone.”

“But it’ll mess up your time and you know he’s just lookin’ for an excuse.”

Parker sat down in the dirt next to Jill. “Did McGivney really tell you to do the course with me?”

“Well…he said if I was worried about you I should run the course too.”

Parker smiled. “I’ll wait with you until he comes to help you.”

Ten minutes later, Manheim drove up in his cart. “You two had enough?”

“She’s pulled a hamstring.”

“You get your doctor’s degree while you were out here Davis?”

Cold eyes fixed on the man as Parker stood up then helped Jill to her feet. “Lean on me,” she said as they walked toward the cart. “She needs to ride with you,” Parker said in a low ominous voice. “You got a problem with that?”

Alec scratched his head. “Come on, git your butt in here.”

Parker nodded before she took off to finish the rest of the course. The sooner she was done the sooner she could wait by the doctor’s car. A smile crossed her face as she kicked her body into high gear.

+ + +

Despite the delay helping Jill, Parker still finished in the top ten percent in the time it took to complete the course. Alec Manheim begrudgingly said, “Good job,” before he dismissed her.

On the ride back to the station Parker asked, “Are you going to see the doc about your pulled muscle?”

Jill said, “No, it will be ok once I ice it and do some light stretches. I should never have attempted doing that without a proper warm up…or lunch.” She looked over at her passenger for a second. “You didn’t seem to break a sweat…what’s your secret?”

Parker laughed. “Good genes I guess.” After a few minutes of silence she asked, “What’s next?”

Jill eased the vehicle into a parking spot and turned off the ignition. “You wait. The Sergeant will receive reports from everyone and then he’ll let you know.”

Parker nodded her head. “I see. I guess this is it then.” She reached for the handle and opened the door. “It was great getting to know you Jill and thanks for watching my back with Manheim.” She gathered her belongs from the back seat then closed the door and began the walk back to the motel.

Jill opened her door and scrambled out of the patrol car. “Hey, Parker, wait up.”

A smile crossed Parker’s face before she turned around. “What is it?”

“If it matters, I think you did great today and they would be crazy not to hire you.”

“Thanks. If I do get a call back I plan on singing your praises.”

Jill fished in her bag and pulled out a business card. “Here is my number. Give me a call when you come back and we can have lunch or something.”

A genuine smile crossed Parker’s face as she took the card. “Thanks, I’ll do that.” She looked at her watch and said, “Gotta run.”

With a laugh, Jill said, “See ya.”

“Yeah, me too.” With a slight wave, Parker turned and walked away.


Chapter 7

 

The first thing Parker did when she returned to Sleepy Town was go to the office. Hi Mildred,” she said to the owner. “I really like staying here, but if I’m going to live in Portsmouth permanently I need to find something else. Can you help me?”

“Did you get the job?” she asked.

“It’s in the bag,” Parker said confidently.

The woman whose hair was a soft white that set off her rosy cheeks said, “My brother has several rentals and they’re near the police station. I know that they are clean and well kept. Paul, that’s my brother, has always been a stickler for keeping his places neat and tidy.” She smiled at Parker. “Would you like me to find out if any are available?”

“Are they furnished? I don’t have any furniture and I don’t want to make that investment just yet.”

Mildred patted Parker’s hand. “Let me call and find out.”

Parker moved away from the counter to give Mildred some privacy while she talked. She sat down and kept an eye on the woman for any facial clues as to what she learned.

“You’re in luck Parker, he has two. One on the first floor and the other is on the second.” Mildred scribbled the address on a motel business card. “He wants to know if you can look at them tomorrow morning.”

Parker stood up and went back to the counter. “Sure, you don’t think he’ll rent them in the meantime do you?”

Mildred laughed. “Oh, I don’t think so he’ll be here helping me out.” She held up a finger. “Let me tell him you can come in the morning…is nine ok with you?”

Parker nodded.

A minute later Mildred came back to the counter. She found a scrap of paper and jotted something down. “Here,” she said foisting the paper toward Parker. “It’s all set up for nine. He said if you got there earlier look for him in the basement.”

“Did he say how much the rent is?” Parker quickly scanned the piece of paper that held Mildred’s brother’s address.

“No, but he did say he’d take care of you.” The older woman laughed. “He asked me if you were staying here and did you pay on time.” Mildred smiled. “I told him you were going to be a police officer and never gave me a bit of trouble.” Her face reddened slightly. “My recommendation goes a long way with Paul. He said he’d take care of you and he will.”

Parker gave the woman her best smile and held up the piece of paper. “I guess I better get going then.” With a wave, Parker left and headed straight for her room. Then her thoughts turned to how to coax the doctor into a date. She wanted the woman and she would have her.

+ + +

Dr. Elisabeth Hill walked briskly out of the police station. Her eyes scanned the area and she was surprised to see Parker Davis leaning negligently against her car. “What are you doing here?”

A slow lazy smile formed around Parker’s lips before it spread to her cheeks. “Waiting on you…thought you might reconsider having dinner with me tonight.”

I’d love to. “I thought I made myself clear Ms. Davis. I’m not interested in having dinner with you tonight or any night.”

Parker pushed off the car, moved toward the doctor blocking her entry to the vehicle. “Your eyes tell me different.”

Elisabeth’s eyes shifted to the ground. “You’re mistaken.” When she lifted her head and looked at Parker she saw desire. “I’m engaged…I can’t.”

“You can’t or you won’t?”

“Please, let me by. I have patients I must see at the hospital.”

Parker nodded and stepped aside. “We can have dinner after you’re done.”

Elisabeth tossed her bag in the backseat, her words belying her inner thoughts. “No we can’t,” she said as she got in.

Parker reached in a touched the doctor’s shoulder and felt a jolt go straight through her body. “Please.”

The doctor sighed and leaned her head on the seat. “What part of no don’t you understand?”

“Please.”

Elisabeth pushed the key in the ignition and twisted causing the motor to purr. She reached for the door handle. “I really need to get to the hospital,” she said looking Parker directly in the eye. “Please let me close the door.”

For a moment, Parker gazed at the doctor before she winked. “Take your time Doc, but don’t take too long. There are other fish out there you know. I’m in room twelve at the Sleepy Town Motel if you change your mind.” She grinned. “I promise you’ll never forget it,” she said as she gripped the handle and gently shut the door.


Chapter 8

 

Bare feet padded across the carpeted floor of room twelve. It had been five days since she had her interview with the police department and her phone hadn’t rung. Parker called Sergeant McGivney and left a message three days earlier and even that didn’t evoke a response. “I can’t believe I didn’t get the job.” She paused her pacing and let her hand hover over the phone. “No, can’t call him…that’d give him a hands up over me and I can’t let that happen.”

Added to the mix were the five phone calls she made to the doctor only to get a recording three times. Once a man answered and she said, “Pardon me I’ve got the wrong number.” She did get to speak with Elisabeth the night before and although she turned her down again she did hear something in the doctor’s voice that gave her hope.

The mechanic delivered her Mustang and true to his word, it hummed as if it were brand new. Unfortunately, the unexpected cost caused her finances to run low and she was operating on her secret stash of cash. She had signed a lease for the apartment Mildred’s brother had and paid the deposit and the first month’s rent. “If something doesn’t happen soon I’m going to have to give the apartment up and my deposit and go back home.” She smacked the wall hard with her palm. “Damn, this isn’t how it should go.”

Just then, she heard a knock on her door. She looked at the time on the radio’s display and her brow creased. “It’s six…who can that be?” She looked through the peephole and a smile crossed over her face. Things were looking up. Her hand twisted the door open and saw a smiling Elisabeth Hill.

She sat in her car outside Parker’s room for ten minutes debating whether to get out or leave. When the door opened and she saw Parker, she felt her breathing stop–the woman was a vision. She gulped and said, “I was in the neighborhood and thought I’d drop…do you mind?”

A smile crossed Parker’s face as she said, “Come on in. I was just about to go out and find something to eat.” She looked back at the doctor and winked as she let her eyes rake over the woman’s body.

The frank assessment of her body made Elisabeth smile. “Guess I’m just in time then…if the dinner invitation is still open.”

“Excellent timing,” said Parker as she moved closer to the doctor before wrapping her arms around the woman. “I’ve wanted to do this since I first saw you.”

Elisabeth struggled to get free but when Parker’s lips met hers, she melted into the delicious kiss as her arms snaked around the taller woman. When she finally pulled back, she said, “I shouldn’t be here and I certainly shouldn’t be kissing you.”

“That’s exactly why you came here isn’t it.” Parker grinned as her lips sought the doctor’s once again wanting more as her tongue demanded entrance and the doctor gave permission. Her body was humming the tune of sexual excitement and it was reaching a crescendo. She looked in the woman’s eyes and said, “I think I better put the do not disturb sign on the door.” She pulled Elisabeth in again and her kisses became more urgent. “I want you.”

“I can’t,” the doctor murmured as her lips sought out Parker’s soft malleable ones. “I can’t,” she said into Parker’s mouth. “I shouldn’t.”

Parker took a step back and let her eyes roam over the doctor’s body seductively. “Undress for me.”

“I really should go…it was a mistake coming here,” the doctor said as she began unbuttoning her shirt. “This isn’t right.”

Hazel eyes watched approvingly. “You make me so wet I want to come right now,” the husky voice said.

Although she had never stripped before, Elisabeth felt Parker’s gaze and it set her free. With abandon, she twirled her underwear before flinging them at the woman. Her mind screamed for her to stop but her body would hear none of it. “I’m wet too…what are you going to do about it?”

Parker undressed quickly and moved toward the doctor. She let skin rub against skin before she picked Elisabeth up and carried her to the bed. No longer would she deny her need–she took what she wanted.

Elisabeth lay in the crook of Parker’s arm and sigh. “That was incredible. I had no idea my body could react like that,” she said trying to catch her breath.

“This isn’t the first time you’ve been with a woman is it?” Parker asked.

“No.”

“Does the fiancée know?”

“Roger, no he’s a sweet guy.”

“Does he make you feel like this?” Parker asked as she ran her fingers over the doctor’s taut nipple. For Parker the coupling was a means to an end–her relief. She kissed the woman’s head just as she did with everyone she had ever taken to bed.

With a slight shift, Elisabeth moved closer to Parker. “No,” she said as she took Parker’s hand and rested it between her legs. “I’m still wet for you.”

Around midnight Parker woke up to find the doctor entangled in her arms. She slid out of the bed, went into the bathroom, and started the shower.

As she began soaping her hair, Elisabeth pulled open the curtain. “Mind if I join you?” she said. Not waiting for an answer, she stepped into the tub, wrapped her arms around Parker, and kissed her. “I want you,” she moaned as she felt long fingers enter her. “Oh my god Parker.”

So began their sexual love affair. Sex with no strings was their agreement. For Parker, having sex was never about love, but need. She loved the way her body felt when it achieved an orgasm and she was pleased that Elisabeth felt the same way.

“No way am I going to fall in love with you Parker,” the doctor said as she opened the door. “I love Roger and we are going to be married and start a family.”

“As it should be,” Parker said before kissing Elisabeth’s lips. She patted her backside. “You better get going or…”

Elisabeth laughed. “Save that thought for the next time,” she said before she left. She checked her voice mail and saw that Roger had called. After listening to the message, she smiled as a tinge of guilt overcame her. Then she remembered what it was like to be in Parker’s arms–she was aroused.


Chapter 9

 

A week after Parker had interviewed for the job all those that participated in her evaluation met Marcus McGivney. “I want to thank you all for meeting me on short notice. I have read all your reports and it seems to me that there is a wide difference in opinions about Parker Davis,” he said. “That’s why I asked you all here…I’d like to hear first hand what your impressions are of the woman.”

The first to speak was Alec Manheim. “She’s a cocky bitch that needs to be brought down a peg or two.”

Marcus looked over Manheim’s report. “Yet she scored in the top ten percent of all recruits and officers. Sounds to me like she had every right to be cocky,” he said with a shrug.

“If you don’t smack her down from the get go she’ll be nothing but trouble.” Alec added. “Mark my words Marcus…she’s nothing but trouble.”

“I agree with Alec,” Tom Bishop said. “She strung me along like she’d never shot a gun before and then she makes kill shots on all the targets.”

Jill Campbell said, “Do you mind if I make a comment Marcus?”

“No go ahead. After all you were with her all day.”

“Well, Tom never asked her if she knew about guns…he just assumed she didn’t.” Her eyes sought out the weapons instructor. “Isn’t that right Tom?”

“Well yeah, but she just let me ramble on like an idiot. She should have stopped me.”

Marcus turned his attention to the therapist. “Eliza, what was your take on Ms. Davis.”

The psychiatric consultant looked up from her notes. “Sgt. Manheim is correct that she is cocky but I wouldn’t go so far as to call her an egomaniac. She’s very confident in her abilities and I liked that about her. Her strength lies in the area of tactics and planning. She’s very analytical and thinks through a problem before she comes to an astute solution. That doesn’t mean it takes her a long time to arrive at a judgment, quite the contrary. In my opinion she is exactly what we want…officers that are strong, confident and able to think quickly in any situation. From what I saw, it was in keeping with her character not to speak up and tell Tom that she did know how to shoot. She respects authority and although she might disagree, she won’t voice her opinion unless asked. But, if a situation occurs, she will take action. I can’t see her ever saying I told you so.” She adjusted her glasses. “I think she will make an excellent officer with the potential of being a very competent leader.”

“Thank you Eliza. Ok Dr. Hill other than medically what’s your take?”

The doctor was glad that they were sitting around a table so no one would see how tightly she was crossing her legs. She kept her eyes on the paper in front of her until she felt she could look up and no one would see that she was fighting to stop the orgasm that was about to erupt. The night before was incredible every time Parker’s name was mentioned the vision of hot bodies rubbing against each other filler her mind. She cleared her throat and said, “Um, I thought she was a very pleasant woman who was in superb physical condition.” A vision of a naked Parker as she sucked on a nipple caused her to erupt slightly. She took a deep breath and tried to center her emotions. “In the nine years that I’ve been evaluating officers here, I can honestly say she’s the perfect candidate.”

“Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to meet with us on such short notice,” Marcus said

“Certainly,” she said as she stood up. “I really need to go… I do have patients waiting.”

Marcus watched the woman leave then said, “I have everything I need and I will be offering Ms. Davis a patrol job.”

The psychiatrist said, “Not for too long Marcus. I think she has the potential to be an excellent detective.”


Chapter 10

 

Parker stood in the doorway of the kitchen in her apartment and grinned. The place was awesome. In the living room, there were banks of windows on either side of an atrium door leading out to an enclosed patio. The bathroom was large with a walk-in shower that she though would fit ten people. When she walked into the kitchen, she thought of her mother and smiled. All the appliances were new and the cupboards had everything she might need to make meals…if she ever cooked–she didn’t. Her bedroom was large and airy with a huge walk-in closet.

For her, life was good. She had it all…a great job, a wonderful apartment, and a lover who was as horny as she was. Her eyes fell on the half open bedroom door. “Hey you’d better get a move on if you’re going to pickup your boyfriend.”

Elisabeth laughed as she came out of the room drying her hair with a towel and eyed a naked Parker. “You just can’t bring yourself to say fiancée can you? I have at least an hour before his flight lands. She leaned into Parker and kissed her soundly. “Besides, I can always say there was an emergency.”

“Doesn’t he wonder why you have so many emergencies lately?” Parker asked as she pulled the woman close.

“Funny thing is, he asked that very same question just before he left this time.” Elisabeth chuckled. “I told him that it must be because my patients are getting older.”

Parker undid the tie holding Elisabeth’s robe together and let her hands slide over the naked body. “I think the one you’re treating tonight is ancient,” Parker said as she kissed a breast. “The woman is so old that it might take all night for you to find a cure.” She pushed the robe off Elisabeth’s shoulders and let it fall to the floor. “I think you should leave him a message that you won’t be picking him up. Your patient needs special attention.”

Elisabeth closed her eyes as her body to react to Parker’s touch. Yeah, I think that’s a good idea. “I can’t do that,” she said breathing heavily.

“Sure you can,” Parker said as she caressed Elisabeth’s cheek. “You just pick up your cell, call and leave a message.” Her fingers were sliding down the doctor’s belly.

 “Can’t do that…my god what you do to me.”

Parker deftly picked her lover up and took her to the bedroom. Their two bodies entwined and created one as they moved in unison. Just as they were about to reach a mutual orgasm Elisabeth’s pager went off.

“Leave it,” Parker ground out as her body hummed in pleasure.

“I can’t.”

Parker increased the tempo of her ministrations and Elisabeth’s body, wound tight, demanded satisfaction. As her pager beeped and beeped, she felt a shattering crescendo that matched Parker’s release. The insistent noise of the pager went unnoticed as the two women held each other close as the last remnants of passion subsided.

Elisabeth reached across Parker and grabbed her pager. “Damn, one of my patients was admitted to the hospital. I need to go.”

Parker, lying on her back and watching her lover dress, blew out a deep breath. “You comin’ back?”

“Not tonight,” she said without looking at Parker.

With a shrug, Parker sat up. “He’ll never compare to me you know that don’t you?”

“You jealous?” she cooed.

Parker let out a snort. “No, I just want more.”

Elisabeth leaned in and kissed Parker’s cheek. “And you shall have more just not tonight.”

“Hmm, but not before Roger,” she said as she gently smacked Elisabeth’s backside. “Just remember I’m the one that rocks your world.”

“That you do.” The doctor moved toward the door. “Later,” she said as she left the bedroom then the apartment.

After she heard the door close, Parker got up, pulled back a curtain and watched as Elisabeth got into her car then she laughed. “Later indeed.”


Chapter 11

 

Because Parker was the last hire, she drew Willard Donleavy as her partner. By birth, Willard was the Police Chief’s nephew and was, without a doubt, the worst officer in the department. The chief‘s retirement banquet was the next week and Parker hoped that along with his departure Willard would go too. She had been on the job for three months and every day with the man proved to be more and more of an irritant. First thing that morning they had a call for a break in and when they found a dead body Willard returned to the squad car and threw up. “I hope they know I’m doing the work of two,” Parker said to the criminalists processing the scene.”

“They know,” Tom Price said. “I think everyone has had him for a partner.” The man laughed. “Although it seems he’s stuck with you longer that most.”

 “Lucky me,” Parker said. She was full of pent up energy and her partner was irritating her more than usual. Once the detective released her from the scene, she returned to the squad car.

“Partner’s are supposed to have each other’s backs Willard. That can’t happen if you’re sitting in the car barfing like a baby.”

The sniveling man said, “I’m gonna tell my uncle what you said.”

Parker snorted. “Go ahead.” She picked up the mic. “This is Adam six we are Code 7 at fifth and main.” She pulled the cruise into the parking lot of Frank’s Pizza and got out leaving the man behind. When she heard the clunk of a car door shutting she grimaced - Willard was following her.

“Hey wait for me,” the man called out.

“Willard,” Parker growled. “Don’t sit with me. You reek of vomit.”

With a snicker Willard said, “I’m gonna tell my uncle that you aren’t a good partner and won’t let me eat with you.”

In a flash, Parker turned around and got in the man’s face. “Go ahead little man. Do you know you sound like a two year old and not a police officer? Tell your uncle and maybe I’ll get lucky and get a decent partner.”

To Willard, Parker loomed threateningly over him and he took a step backward. “You’ll be sorry,” he said.

Parker shook her head and walked away. After she got her order, she took it outside and sat at one of the tables. It wasn’t long before Willard slinked toward her and before he could sit down, she glared at him. “Don’t,” was all she said before she heard ten-fifty, code 1 at twenty-third and main heading east. “They’re heading our way. Get in the car now Willard,” she said as she ran to the car and grabbed the mic. “This is Adam six ten-one.”

That afternoon after she returned to the police station Parker approached Howard Bennett the watch commander. “Do you have a minute?” she asked.

“Sure, what’s on your mind Davis,” he said as his mouth curled into a smile. “Bet you think you don’t need a partner any more.”

Parker closed her eyes then looked straight into the man’s face. “He’s been with me for four months now and as hard as I’ve tried it just isn’t working out.”

“Damn,” the watch commander said. “McNulty wins the pool.”

Hazel eyes flared at the man. “There is a pool on how long before I came to you for a partner change?”

“Yeah, if it’s any consolation, you stuck with him longer than anyone else.”

Parker shook her head and laughed. “I hope McNulty won enough to by me a beer.” Her eyes turned serious. “I’d like to start tomorrow without Willard as my partner.”

“You done good Davis. I’ll reassign Donleavy to desk duty.” The man’s face softened. “I’m impressed with the job you’re doing and glad to have you on my team.”

“Thank you sir,” Parker said not sure how to respond. She didn’t need him to tell her she was doing a good job, she already knew that.

“Will I see you at the Chief’s retirement Friday night?”

“Yes, I’ll be there.”


To be continued next week in part 2 of 5

If you like this story please let us know.  It is through feedback that we improve. Thank you, Julie and Erin


Find JM Dragon and Erin O'Reilly's books at SCP
JM Dragon author of Define Destiny
Co-author with Erin O'Reilly of New Beginnings

Erin O'Reilly author of Revelations and Deception

This is copyrighted material, all rights reserved.It may be reproduced, duplicated or printed for personal use only.
It may be reproduced, duplicated or printed for personal use only. For all other uses, please contact
J.M. Dragon or E. O'Reilly