Chapter 11

"Okay, thanks Joe. I just thought it was worth a shot. I'll see you when I get back. Take care."

Katelyn hung up the phone, sighing and putting it down in front of her. Christ Quinn, where the hell are you?

If anyone was going to tell Katelyn anything it would be Quinn's partner Joe, but evidently, he'd put in for vacation just as she returned to East Pines. It had been four days since her departure, and still no text, or call. No one back in Boston had any answers for her either, all claiming they'd seen her but hadn't talked. Maybe it was time she got the hint.

Wrapping her fingers around her cup she brought the much-needed coffee to her lips, letting its steam gently caress them while she stared out of the café's large bay window to watch the busy passers by getting on with their day. While delivery trucks brought the daily deliveries to the bakery across the street, she sat in the booth silently reminding herself to buy a box of those devilishly delicious glazed donuts before she returned to her parents. She checked her watch, it was nearing nine thirty, she figured Donna was running slightly late, and just as that thought passed the ringing bell that hung over the entrance caught Katelyn's attention and in walked Donna, her disheveled dark brown hair pulling a smile from Katelyn, as she hastily unwrapped her scarf and quickly unbuttoned her coat.

"I'm so sorry I'm late, I had to stop and put air in the tires, the dumb thing wouldn't quit beeping at me." Stated Donna, throwing her red knit scarf and cream jacket into the booth while waving the waitress to her, pointing for a coffee and refill for Katelyn.

"You're fine, I figured you had something to do." Replied Katelyn taking a sip of coffee.

Both smiled as the waitress approached to fill both coffees, "Have you eaten?" Asked Donna while the waitress stood.

Katelyn shook her head, looking up at the waitress. "Can I just have an egg sandwich?"

"I'll have the same and a couple slices of bacon please." The waitress smiled with a nod before walking away.

Donna reached over grabbing some sugar packets. "So, we really didn't get to talk much the other night at the bar. I could barely get two words in between you and Erika talking each other's ears off, how'd things really go with Sami?"

Katelyn giggled. "Jealous, are we?"

Donna arched a brow. "I'm just saying, you were my friend first…don't make me fight a—"

Katelyn's laughter interrupted. "Oh, stop! She does seem very nice though."

"I love that girl. So anyway, back on to more pressing matters…Sami?"

Katelyn shifted in her seat slightly. "Really good actually."

"Oh, yeah?"

Katelyn smiled to Donna's surprised tone. "Yes…well at the beginning it was like pulling teeth but eventually we started talking. We're actually going out for dinner, don't ask me when, but she did ask, and I said yes…"

Donna chuckled. "Good, I'm glad. Where are you guys going?"

Katelyn shrugged. "Some sea food place she said she's dying to go to."

"Ah yes. She's been talking about that place for months now…Zack too, but he can wait a little longer, I'll see what you guys say about it and then maybe surprise him with it." Stated Donna with a smirk.

Katelyn chuckled. "You guys should join us."

"No, I think it's best if it's only the two of you--" Katelyn's sudden arched brow pausing her. She raised a palm, "I'm just saying, if this friendship between you both is ever going to work, it needs to be just the two of you to build it."

Katelyn kept a suspicion against her narrowed eyes. "I just don't want anybody getting the wrong idea."

Donna waved her comment away. "I'm pretty sure everyone around here knows better when it comes to you both."

Katelyn stayed silent while sipping her coffee as their waitress bestowed their breakfast, she smiled softly while her coffee was topped off. Taking off the top slice of bread from her sandwich she grabbed the pepper, shaking a generous amount on top of her eggs then lightly pressing the slice on top allowing her yolk to bust slightly over the edges. A small delighted moan escaping.

"So, any word from Quinn?"

Katelyn shook her head, lightly pressing her fingers against her lips as her first enjoyable bite was interrupted with the sudden bad taste of Quinn's reminder.

"I think that's a done deal…."

"I'm sorry, Katie…" Donna trailed.

Katelyn shook her head, then sipped more coffee. "I hate to say this but, it is what it is. Do I hate how she did it? Absolutely, but what can I do? She's clearly made her decision…"

Donna pinched a slice of bacon and popped it in her mouth. "If she's going to react like this over one harmless visit with your family…I hate to say this, but maybe you are better without her."

Katelyn sighed. "Well there is more to it…." She trailed.

Donna's raised brow forced Katelyn to swallow her nerves. "Is this what you were trying to get at, at the parking lot?"

Katelyn nodded. "Yeah…" She cleared her throat. "I want to tell you but in doing so I have to ask that you say nothing to Zack, and I hate to ask you to keep something from hi—" Donna's raised hand interrupting her.

"Regarding you Katelyn…if I have to keep it from him I will, unless your well-being is on the line, then I would have to tell him but anything else…your secret will always be safe with me."

Katelyn dropped their stare to her steaming coffee. "I'll just cut to the chase…my dad came to visit me briefly in Boston the other week, to make me an offer…" She paused to sip her coffee. The sight of Donna's arched brow pushed her nerves into the pit of her stomach.

Katelyn fidgeted for a minute, rolling her unused napkin between her fingers until Donna's gentle grip pulled her from her racing thoughts.

"What is it, Katie?"

She looked up to Donna's soft browns. "He offered me Senior partner for his firm, alongside Richard…"

She watched Donna's concerned expression turn to an elated one. "Oh my God…that's…that's…oh…that means living here permanently…Quinn being there…"

Katelyn nodded slowly clamping her eyes shut. "This time away she and I were supposed to figure out what we wanted. Would she move out here, for me? Did I even want that…?"

Donna reached across the table, grabbing Katelyn's hands. "And now you're certain you would want that, but she doesn't?"

"Right."

Donna sighed. "I'm so sorry, Katie. But regarding this opportunity…do you want it? Even if that means now clearly losing Quinn?"

"I lost her before I even made my decision…"

"Yes, but…she probably knows deep down this is where your home and heart are."

Katelyn sat back into the booth, running her despair through her hair. "Everything seems so effortless here, the biggest challenge was Sami…and well, that seems to be fixable. Tara and I have started right where we left off…my family and closest friends are here…"

"But?" Donna asked curiously.

"Now I feel empty at the thought of never seeing or talking to Quinn again. The mere thought of it, makes me sick to my stomach." Replied Katelyn.

Donna pursed the corner of her mouth. "You really love her, don't you?"

Katelyn bit the corner of her lip. "I do, Don…"

"If she called you today and said it's either me or East Pines…what would you do?"

Katelyn shook her head. "Firstly, that would never happen, and B…I honestly don't know…she knows how much my career means to me."

"Hence, why she hasn't asked."

Katelyn dropped her head. "Donna…I love this woman, I love my career…losing either one has never been an option, but now that I'm almost certain I have lost her…I couldn't care less about my career," she paused pressing her head into her hands. "This is such a fucking mess."

"You're a hot mess, honey."

Both laughed lightly. "Honestly, if it's truly done between her and I…I will happily move back here and start over. There's nothing keeping me in Boston. Don't get me wrong I love the firm I'm with, but my father's firm is where I belong, the Pines is where I belong."

Donna wrapped her fingers around Katelyn's hands as they hugged her mug. "You know we would all love for you to come home and we're all here to heal your broken heart."

Katelyn pressed an appreciative smile against her small dimple. Her friend's heartwarming words although endearing, right at that moment didn't help the ache in Katelyn's chest. She missed Quinn, missed her smell, her touch, her smile… Her best friend.

"So, listen…not that anything except Quinn could cheer you up, but Saint Patrick's Day is fast approaching and we were thinking about having it at Sami's cabin down by the lake, your Uncle Mick wants the bar closed for Saint Patrick's day this year…Sami tried to explain the revenue would be insane that entire weekend but he insisted she close it and enjoy Saint Patrick's day with everyone."

Katelyn tilted a brow. "Uncle Mick gave her his cabin?"

Donna nodded. "Yeah, he said it's too big for him now, said he prefers the loft above the bar. You're not mad, are you?"

"No, of course not. I'm relieved, I thought Sophie and Michael would've gotten it and honestly the thought of that makes me sick. If anyone deserves to have the cabin, it's Sam." Replied Katelyn, before taking another bite of her sandwich.

"Well…everybody else but Sami knows that Mick changed his will and left her everything…the cabin, the bar, all of his money, well most of it. He has left some for Michael and Sophie. He made us promise not to say anything."

"She would refuse him point blank."

Donna nodded. "Right."

"How on earth did he even convince her to move in there?"

"He told her he needed the loft for right now, because the bar is right downstairs and that he'd need someone to stay and keep the place right. Repair some of the woodwork. Keep the place in tip-top condition, just until he started getting his strength back."

Katelyn giggled. "Smart man…so what's the full plans for Saint Patrick's Day?"

"Okay, so the plan is to have the party at Sami's I think she said for everyone to start coming around six-ish. They're going to close both parlors early, but I figured we would go there earlier in the day to help set up. Everyone is going to be there. She said there's no need to bring any drinks or food, she has it covered, just to bring ourselves."

"That sounds like a great idea…you guys can count me in." Replied Katelyn. A little excited to have a party with all her old childhood friends.

Donna clapped her hands together. "Perfect. I'll let Nicole know."

Katelyn giggled into her coffee mug. "I have to go by the salon later, I can let her know. She's going to pamper me." She explained with a wink.

Donna rolled her eyes. "That would be great if you could. I have her doing our hair for the wedding. She is so damn talented and still refuses to let your father buy her an open lot to have her own place."

"I'm glad, I think seeing Zack grow his business like he has, has shown her it can be done, she just needs to apply herself. The girl has amazing talent." Said Katelyn, finally pushing her plate away, and exhaling heavily.

"Yes, she does…I can't wait for you to see her when Nadine is around…" Donna trailed.

Katelyn shook her head. "Well regardless what you all say, I'm going to give her a chance…Sami must see something in her to stay exclusive to only sleeping with her, we have to think of it like that too."

Donna sighed. "This is Sami lying to herself."

Katelyn didn't prevent her shocked expression from showing. "Why would she lie to herself, Don? That makes no sense. This is the closest thing to a relationship since Theresa. It speaks volumes that she even considered going there again."

Donna blew lightly on her coffee, avoiding any eye contact with her. "Sami was desperate for distraction, Katie."

Katelyn rolled her eyes. "A distraction from what?"

Donna tucked her hair behind an ear, shaking her head. "From her real demons."

Katelyn decided to say nothing else and just left the conversation with a shaking head, she knew what Donna was trying to get at and she wanted no part in hearing it. Regardless, she wanted to give Nadine a chance, for the sake of her old friend? New friend? Either way for the sake of someone who once meant the world to her, even if she hated that fact, it was still that, a fact. She cared deeply for Sami, wanting nothing but happiness for her and deep down she knew in that mysterious heart of Sami Wilson, she too wanted Katelyn to be happy.

Chapter 12

Sami took a seat next to Mick, her eyes shifting back and forth across the rugged grey carpet under her shoes. She ran her sweaty palms against the tops of her thighs before finally resting them on the red leather arm rests. She almost refused to look over at Mick as he took off his suede jacket to lay across his crossed legs. She closed her eyes for a moment, hoping that every clench from her jaw would ease the nerves dancing in her stomach. Eventually she opened them to look up at Nadine, her wispy choppy jet black bob covering her left eye, her ruby red lips mouthing the words she was writing on Micks test results in a green file, she guessed it had collected at least a thousand different results and diagnosis' regarding the old guy she held so highly.

"Okay…" Nadine paused and flicked through some more papers.

She looked up with a half-smile. "How're you feeling, Mick?"

Mick shrugged. "Been better. Why are we even here? I thought I wasn't supposed to see you until next month, after you put that thing in my leg?"

Nadine broke their eye contact to flick through more papers. "Sami mentioned you seemed more breathless, a little more tired perhaps?"

Sami placed her elbow on the arm rest, resting her cheek between her pointer and index finger, refusing to look across at the eyes she felt burning into her cheek. Preferring to keep hers on the soft face in front of her.

Mick sighed. "I've been a little busier than usual, comes with the territory, sure…"

Nadine gave him an understanding smile. "Mick, I brought you here today, so I…" She paused darting her eyes to Sami then back to Mick, "So we…could talk to you about possibly going with our next step of doing the open-heart surgery. I know we've covered it brief—"

He interrupted raising from his seat. "Let me stop you right there, y'all aren't cutting me open, I've told you and that sister of mine…it's not going to fuc—"

Now Sami interrupted. "Mick…" She looked up at him, her pained eyes scanning his gray face, "Sit down, I think we need to talk about this." She trailed.

She watched Micks head rise but his dark blue eyes remain on her, his once strong jaw, weakening with each clench. He took in a deep breath and sat back down, throwing his coat on the floor next to him. Sami cleared her throat and turned to him in her chair.

"Mick…I've let you run the show on this, I've kept my mouth shut…I've, it's never been my place to ever tell you what you should do when it comes to this open-heart surgery. Trust and believe I don't want them cutting you open either…but, you are getting worse, weaker…I can't sit and watch someone I hold so damn close to my heart, suffer like this." She paused clearing the lump from her throat as the sight of his watering eyes penetrated her chest like a hot iron. "Can we maybe let Nadine talk us through the procedure and talk on the risks…and really think about it?"

He dropped their stare, shaking his head. "Don't do this, kid."

Sami took in a deep breath, glancing to Nadine then back to a punctured Mick. "I never wanted to…but Mick?"

He looked over at her, his head still hung, his cheeks dampened.

"Your family needs you; your daughter needs you…I need you." She paused as his eyes clamped shut. Gently she placed her hand on his clenching fist. "Give us more time…this surgery can do that."

"What if it doesn't?" He whispered.

Sami took in another deep breath. "Not having the surgery will guarantee you a death sentence…having it? Okay, maybe it doesn't guarantee a damn thing, but the possibility of having you here with us longer…" She looked up at Nadine. "What are the chances that he will come through just fine?"

"Given his latest results since his last echo, his valves have become narrower. We really can't wait any longer. We will perform a coronary artery bypass graft, it will open your valves more to allow the oxygen and blood flow to improve immensely…Mick, I need you to know I have the best team for this, and I will be doing the procedure. I hope that can give you some comfort. We will take the very best care of you."

Sami swallowed hard, then looked to Mick who still had his head down. "Mick…"

He raised his hand motioning for Sami to say nothing else. She sat back to look at Nadine, appreciating her sympathetic smile.

Mick stood up clearing his throat, breaking the soft stare between Sami and Nadine. "I will take this home…think on it and give y'all my decision…in my own time. Do not rush me, do not contact me." He paused to look down at Sami, "Once I've made my decision, it is final."

Sami gave him a weakened blink and a subtle nod.

"Okay, we're done here…I'll get a cab home."

Sami stood up. "Mic—" He interrupted Sami.

"No…I need to take a cab home. I need to be by myself for a while, to make this decision with no distractions." He explained.

"Mick, let me take you home…please don't think I'm trying to go against you…"

He nodded. "I know, kid. Let me do what I got to do…" He looked to Nadine. "You'll hear from me soon."

And with that Sami watched Mick walk out and shut the door behind him quietly. She took in a deep breath and exhaled loudly, lazily resting her hands on her sides.

"You did the best thing, Sami."

Sami looked over at Nadine as she walked around her desk, wrapping her arms around her neck, while her dark browns pleaded for Sami's darks to submit to them.

"It sure doesn't feel like it, Nadine…"

"Shhh." She rested her forehead against Sami's before gently placing a kiss on Sami's pale lips.

"You just have to give him some time…" She whispered against her lips.

Sami swallowed hard. "I just need him to know you can fix him."

Nadine pulled away, enough to hold Sami's stare. "We've talked about this, yes I can fix him, but I can't guarantee anything. I want to so bad…but you know in my field I can't make any promises; I can only promise that I'll do everything in my power to keep him alive and that heart of his beating."

Sami pushed against Nadine's head, dropping her eyes, and sighing. "This is killing me…"

"I know something that might make you feel a little better." Stated Nadine pressing the tip of her tongue against her devious grin.

Sami watched the seductive stare of Nadine turn into a fiery one.

"As much as I'd love to, I have to get back to the parlor, then to the bar."

Nadine groaned, breaking their embrace and moving back behind her desk.

"Doesn't Zack, Billy, and…what's her name again?" She questioned.

"Erika…" Answered Sami with an unamused brow arch.

"Ah yes…Erika, don't they have the parlor's covered? And I know your sister and Sophie have the bar covered. You can give me thirty minutes…" Insisted Nadine, slipping her lab coat off and hanging it on the back of her chair, before slowly unbuttoning her crimson blouse, her bottom lip staying clamped between her teeth.

Sami looked at her watch. "Damn you don't make it easy saying no, but I have a client in ten minutes…they all have their own clients and Donna isn't working the bar tonight, she's off and going out with Nicole and Kate—" Sami paused briefly, realizing she forgot to mention the return of Katelyn Jensen. "Katelyn…" She finished with a somewhat confidence.

Nadine quickly clasped her buttons together. "Who?"

Sami took in a deep breath followed by a hard swallow. "Donna's going out tonig—"

Nadine's raised hand interrupted Sami. "I heard that part, but did you say she's going out with Nicole, and Katelyn?"

Sami gave a subtle nod.

"Katelyn Jensen?" She questioned.

Sami rushed her hand to the back of her neck rubbing it briefly. "Yeah, she's back in town to visit the family."

"How long has she been here?" Nadine snapped.

Sami shrugged. "I don't know, closer to a week…I think. I haven't been paying much attention."

"And you're only now telling me this!"

Sami rolled her eyes letting her head fall back. "Jesus, can we not? I didn't think it was a big deal…it isn't a big deal."

Nadine began irately buttoning her shirt back up. "Not a big deal? Are you kidding me?" She pushed out a frustrated laughter. "This is just fucking great…you can leave now. I have another patient waiting."

Sami moved toward the frantic woman, grabbing the feverish wrists that flew. Quickly she steadied the irate woman in front of her, her darks effortlessly calming the raging browns. "Nadine…can we please not do this, again?"

Nadine spat a frustrated laugh. "She isn't just anyone Sam…she is Katelyn Jensen."

Sami shook her head. "Who she is means nothing, Nadine. She is an old friend…regardless of the past shit that happened between us, we are both very aware that a friendship is the only thing that would work between the two of us. She is my friend Nadine, and that's not going to change." She paused taking in a quick breath, "And while we're on the subject of Katelyn, her and I are going to go to dinner at some point during her visit…"

"Are you purposely just trying to make me call it quits on…whatever the hell this is between us?" Nadine asked finally clasping the last button shut.

Sami groaned, lazily resting her hands on her hips. "Of course not, Nadine. Will you just trust me when I say you have nothing to worry about?"

Nadine pulled her chair back and took a seat. She rested her elbows on the desk staring daringly into Sami's eyes. "Sami…I understand we aren't in a relationship…this is a go with the flow kind of situation, and I have no issues with that…I always said I will never pressure you into any expectation of commitment from you, but I won't hesitate in calling this whole thing off if I get even one inkling that you and Katelyn are going down that dangerous road again."

Sami sighed. "Nadine…that will never happen. I'm perfectly happy with our arrangement..."

Nadine turned grabbing a file behind her and slapping it on the desk before looking back up at Sami. "Just don't make me look like a fool, Sam. I promise you; you will regret it. I won't go quietly like all of the others."

Sami smirked. "Has anyone ever told you you're sexy when you make threats?"

Nadine arched a brow, before finally resting a small grin against her cheek. "Like everything else with you…that's the first."

Chapter 13

Nicole revealed a sparkling glass of bubbly to Katelyn as she sat in the black leather salon chair. Katelyn smirked into the silver framed mirror, scrunching her nose toward her sister's reflection.

"Don't mind if I do."

Katelyn shuffled in her chair to get comfortable, taking a sip of the champagne she looked around the empty black and silver coated salon, while the subtle sound of new country played in the background.

"I can't believe you closed up shop early for this." Explained Katelyn.

Nicole shrugged, "I ran it past Betty, she had no issue once I told her it was for you."

Katelyn smiled, looking in the mirror watching intently as her sister ran her fingers through her hair and slowly began snipping, working her magic she knew.

"I'm so proud of you Nicole. Ever since the shit happened with Peter, you have finally blossomed with your life and talents." She explained.

"I didn't realize how much he held me back until all of that shit went down and I kicked that little bitch to the curb…whereas Billy…everyday he pushes me to be better."

Katelyn smiled. "I couldn't have wished any better for you and Zack. Have you heard anything about Peter? I've asked dad, but he just shrugs and says he never cares enough to ask Malcolm."

Nicole shook her head. "Last I heard he's become a member of some church in Cedar Valley."

Katelyn rushed her hand to mouth, barely able to keep herself from spitting her sip of champagne all over.

She swallowed hard, choking lightly on the remanence of champagne. "No fucking way."

Nicole giggled. "Yes way…he'll text me every once in a while, asking how I am. I never reply. He fails to remember that I know that phony through and through."

Katelyn nodded. "Let him come back here and try to talk to you while Billy is around…Hell even Sami…please!"

Suddenly there was a tap against the large window, causing Katelyn to jump lightly. Quickly the two looked over noticing Erika, Donna, and Tara waving with bottles of wine in their hands, instantly pulling a chuckle from Katelyn.

Nicole walked toward the door waving them away. "No, get outta here…we don't cater to East Pines troublemakers."

Katelyn smiled mischievously as the three entered. Clearly, they'd already started their festivities as they stumbled in, pushing another laughter from her.

"It's girls' night!" Cheered Tara.

Nicole walked back to Katelyn as the others sat in the other empty salon seats, admiring themselves in the mirrors ahead.

"It's barely hitting five, I thought we were gonna meet at the Blackbeard?" Asked Nicole, looking at her watch. "I know our motto is 'it's five o'clock somewhere' but I really don't want to ruin my sister's hair." Finished Nicole.

"I appreciate that." Laughed Katelyn.

"That was the plan…" Explained Erika, kicking off her heels.

"What changed?" Nicole asked.

"The mood isn't so great there…Mick had an appointment today." Erika explained, crossing her legs, fixing the hole from her light denim jeans over her knee.

"Zack asked Sami how it went. I guess she was going to finally tell him she thinks he should have the surgery, but all she said was he was going to think about it." Added Donna.

Nicole placed her scissors down beside her and running Katelyn's hair through her fingers she pushed it gently over her shoulders. "After I'm done, we'll go over, and I'll talk to her."

Katelyn sighed, looking up at the mirror and turning her head slightly to admire the feathered cut her sister had done for her, leaving some of her dark hair to cover an eye.

"Thank you, Nicole, it looks amazing."

Nicole grabbed her head before planting a kiss on top of it. "Anything for you, sister."

Nicole stood fixing her own hair before turning to the others, "Okay, what's say I clean up really quick and we call a cab and let the real shenanigans begin?"

Katelyn got out of the cab, wrapping her baby-blue jacket over her shoulders, she turned to Donna while she paid the driver. Donna finally caught her linking their arms while Nicole and Tara took the lead into the Blackbeard. Katelyn shivered lightly after leaving the cold brisk air to move into the warmer yet stuffier air the bar had to offer. The usual hum of voices and gentle laughter filled the small West Pines bar, something that always made Katelyn feel at home, maybe because it instantly reminded her of her Uncle.

She let her eyes trace the faces around, it was the usual suspects, she smiled to some as she followed Donna to their usual spot in the back corner by the pool tables where Terri, Jordan, Billy, and even Richard where playing.

"I thought this was supposed to be a girls only night?" Nicole questioned, before placing a kiss on Billy's cheek as he set up to take a shot.

"There's other tables, y'all don't need to be hanging out around us." Stated Terri chalking her cue.

Katelyn laughed as Nicole blew the remanence of chalk from Terri's cue onto her face.

Lightly she embraced Richard, kissing him lightly on the cheek. "I never thought I'd see the day you'd be here hanging out playing some pool."

Richard shrugged, smiling. "What can I say? I guess I'm a rebel without a cause, and they serve the best draft beer here."

Katelyn scrunched her nose. "Okay, well I'm going to go get us girls some drinks, I'll be right back."

"Do you want me to get them?" He asked.

Katelyn sent a wave his way. "I'm a big girl but thank you."

She began pushing through the small crowd, eventually the sight of her brother's flustered face appeared, forcing her to sigh slightly. Leaning her elbows against the mahogany bar she leaned in to see if she could spot Sami, but she was nowhere to be seen then suddenly she popped from the back, throwing a bar towel over her shoulder. Instantly their eyes locked. She was pale, her eyes dark… Tired. Katelyn sent a sympathetic smile as Sami approached.

"Hey, you…are you getting served?"

Katelyn shook her head. "No, I just got here. Take care of them first I'm in no rush." Insisted Katelyn nudging her head toward the waiting patrons with money waving in the air.

Sami nodded with a smile. "Gimme a couple of minutes."

Katelyn nodded, taking a seat on one of the stools. She watched intently as her brother, cousin and Sami moved without skipping a beat. They all looked beat but neither one of them slowing down. She watched Zack go to the corner, unscrew a water bottle and nearly down it completely before pouring the small remains over his face, and wiping it off, then go right back to serving someone else.

She rested her chin in her palm, watching with a smile.

"What can I get you ma'am?"

Katelyn shook out of her daze to a red, sweaty faced Zack. She grabbed his towel and wiped it across his forehead. "Can I get three vodka and orange juices', and a Gin and Tonic for me, please?"

"You absolutely can." He announced with a cheesy grin.

Katelyn sat back in her stool, turning she grabbed her purse and pulled out a twenty. Rolling it she looked up to see Sami standing right in front of her, forcing her to jump slightly.

"Christ!"

Sami gave a small smirk. "You can call me Sami, what can I get you?"

Katelyn giggled, with an eye roll. "You're fine. Zack's getting them…here…" She announced, handing the twenty to Sami.

Sami shook her head. "Your money's no good here." She replied before walking away.

Katelyn tilted her head, arching a brow and rolling her eyes once again. She knew there was no point insisting she take the money. Sami was just as stubborn as she was. Soon Zack approached placing their glasses on a tray.

"Do you want me to carry these over?" He asked.

Katelyn shook her head. "No, but here take this please. Sami is refusing." She held out the twenty.

Zack put his hands up shaking his head, "She's the boss, if she says y'all drink for free tonight…then y'all drink for free. If you have any discrepancies…you should probably take it up with her."

Katelyn rolled her eyes with a smirk and throwing the twenty at him she got up, grabbed the tray and made her way back to the table.

Chapter 14

Katelyn bent down, narrowing her eyes while she studied the blackball, just right of the middle pocket. Her stomach flipped; she took a slow inhale while she tried hard not to let her nerves get the better of her at the thought of winning her first ever pool match. Billy obnoxiously cleared his throat, pushing a grin from her. Gently she pulled back on the cue… Straightening her fingers the cue sat on she pushed it through, hitting the white she watched it roll slowly toward the edge of the black, her eyes widened… Finally, the black ball fell in. She let out an almighty cheer alongside Donna and Tara, then turning to Billy she dusted off a shoulder with a smirk.

"Well…well…well. I think the next set of drinks are on you, Sir." She gloated.

Zack walked over high fiving her. "Good job…but are you ready for the pros."

She rolled her eyes. "Sure…but this champion needs a small break."

The bar had quietened down, giving Zack and Sophie enough time to go and relax with the rest of them. Everyone was merry and finally relaxing in their seats. Katelyn looked around, noticing Sami had disappeared, into the back office she assumed. She looked toward Nicole.

"Are you gonna go talk to Sami?" She asked.

Nicole shook her head. "No, I think I'll wait until morning, when I'm sober."

Katelyn nodded slowly looking toward Donna and Erika as they played on the other table.

"What about one of you?"

"There's no point Katie…she'll just shut down and not say a word. I figure she'll eventually talk to Erika about it." Announced Donna.

Erika looked up. "I'll get it out of her tomorrow, I promise."

Katelyn nodded, looking now toward Zack. "Is Uncle Mick upstairs?"

He nodded. "Yeah, but he doesn't want to see anyone right now."

She sighed. A part of her knew her asking Sami to talk to her Uncle caused the tension between them, but if she hadn't, she was certain he would've never thought about the surgery being an option. Sami was like his own flesh and blood, he needed to hear it from her.

"If I go talk to her would I be stepping over the mark?"

They all looked at her, a little shock ridden.

"If…I mean…would you be okay to do it?" Zack asked.

Katelyn shrugged. "Why not? I was the one who practically begged her to talk Uncle Mick into the surgery."

He smiled with a somewhat surprised expression. "If you think it would do any good, sure…I just don't want y'all fighting, I guess."

Katelyn shook her head. "Zack, we are past all of that."

He nodded slowly with a regretful smile.

"If there's one thing I do know…she'll always listen to what you have to say." Explained Billy. "I hate seeing her like this, I want her out here enjoying herself with us, anything is worth a shot." He finished.

"Here, here." Cheered Tara and Terri.

"Okay, I'll go see if I can get her out here. The last place she needs to be right now is locked up in that dingy office feeling sorry for herself." Explained Katelyn before walking away.

Katelyn lightly cleared her throat, a lame attempt at trying to settle the raging butterflies in her stomach. She knew all too well of Sami's temper, the last thing she wanted to do was trigger her to go into a spiral. Their friendship finally seemed like it had a real chance. She took in a deep breath then lightly knocked on the door, bringing her bottom lip between her teeth. A harsh and frustrated voice came from the other side.

"What is it?"

Katelyn shut her eyes, then pushed forcefully against the stuck door to open it. Slowly she peaked her head around it with a soft smile.

"Can I come in? I come in peace." She said softly, watching Sami's hard expression quickly soften.

Sami slid back her chair, pressing her palms against the back of her head while stretching her back.

"Yeah of course. Have a seat." Sami offered, pointing toward the empty chair behind Mick's desk.

Katelyn smiled, turning to close the door before moving to Mick's chair. She sat down to face Sami, who was already catching the sliding whiskey bottle from her top drawer. Katelyn giggled shaking her head.

"I don't think I could handle another whiskey session with you."

Sami smirked, pouring two glasses. She leaned forward holding a glass out to her. Katelyn narrowed her eyes.

"Okay, one glass and that's it." She insisted.

Sami raised her glass tipping it slightly. "Yes ma'am." She paused to down it. "So, what do I owe the pleasure?"

Katelyn sipped at her whiskey, then put it down on the desk.

"Well, the plan was to get you out there to join us."

Sami took in a deep breath, dropping their eye contact. "I would if I could, but I have a bunch of paperwork and I gotta put an order in or the bars gonna run dry, and we don't want that."

Katelyn nodded with her brow arched. "Yeah…I would ask for the truth, but I think I know you well enough to know, you won't give it to me."

Sami leaned back in her chair smirking, and running her fingers through her slicked back hair, letting some fall to the side. "I think me being back here getting this stuff done will help Zack and Billy's ego. It's only fair they feel what it's like to win at a few games of pool every once in a while."

Katelyn giggled. "I did beat Billy tonight, actually."

Sami laughed. "'Atta girl."

Grabbing the whiskey bottle in front of her she poured another glass, before offering Katelyn a refill.

She put her hand up signaling her refusal. "If I want to keep up with those heathens out there, one glass of whiskey will be just fine," she stated.

Sami smiled, then knocked back her glass. Katelyn watched her push the burn down.

"There was something else…Uncle Mick. Thank you for saying something."

Sami tilted her head, shrugging. "Don't thank me. I don't know if it will have helped any, but I knew deep down I had to at least try."

"I know, I just hope it didn't cause any trouble between you and him." She explained.

Sami sent a small smile her way with another shrug. "We'll be alright…I'll give him his space."

Katelyn nodded, recognizing Sami's strained tone, letting her know she was done talking about the subject.

"Please come join us, even if only for half an hour. We're all here, we can help clean up and get the place ready for closing."

Sami shook her head. "Honest, I can't…I've held this off for too long, I really need to get this stuff done."

Katelyn sighed. "I really can't convince you, huh?"

"I'm sorry, but how do you feel about dinner, say this Thursday?" Sami asked.

Katelyn smiled. "That's perfect. After tonight, I'm filled up with the firm and my father up until then. I'm actually excited to try that new sea food place out you were talking about. Donna said Zack is dying to go too, so I can gloat about it on Saturday at the party."

Sami laughed. "Are you coming?"

"Of course, I am. Do you honestly think I'd miss out on a night at the cabin? Especially for Saint Patrick's Day celebrations? God, I loved it there growing up, we used to have so much fun on the lake." She explained.

Sami tucked a smile, before standing up and moving to the door. "Okay, then Thursdays a date."

As Katelyn got up, she couldn't deny the slight skip of her heart, but clearing her throat she pushed the once silent demons away. Something about Sami's genuinely warm eyes caught her, but just for a moment and she adjusted. Gently she smiled and dropped their stare, as Sami's cleared throat proved she felt a sudden awkwardness between the two.

Sami kept her eyes on the floor, shoving her hands in her pockets. "Sorry…I didn't mean it, like it sounded, it was just a figure—"

Katelyn interrupted. "Oh no…no. I know better…" She replied softly.

Sami's throat stumbled through a swallow, before grabbing the door handle behind Katelyn and shimmying it open. She leaned her temple against the edge of the door, her tired smiling eyes resting on Katelyn.

"I'll see you Thursday, Kate." She said quietly.

Katelyn's bottom lip escaped between her teeth, the innocent word, given to her at birth, sent a whirlwind of small eruptions throughout her entirety, but only when it escaped Sami's lips. Before she knew it, her fingers lightly brushed the stray hairs from Sami's brow and slicked it back with the rest of her hair. She watched Sami's eyes shut. Katelyn swallowed hard, pulling her hand away, desperately trying to push it off as if it was nothing.

"See you Thursday." She whispered before rushing out, well what she thought was rushing. Her legs had suddenly turned to jelly but her heart was beating her rushed breaths out of her like nothing she had felt in sometime. The hallway darkened and she looked back over her shoulder making sure the culprit of the unknown sudden side effects wasn't standing there to witness the storm inside her, escape. It was all clear, and swiftly she rushed her hand to her throbbing chest, clasping at her top, while pressing her back against the cold concrete wall. She took in a deep breath as she battled her thoughts to memories of Quinn…Suddenly her heart hurt and dropping her head she clamped her eyes shut. Damn you Quinn…  Damn you Katelyn… Sami can't trickle back in…"

Chapter 15

Katelyn tapped her bottom lip as her eyes traced the glazed donuts through the glass. Her tongue caressing the bottom of her top teeth, contemplating whether it was appropriate to bring a box of sugar filled donuts to the firm for breakfast. All she ever wanted when coming home was a box of those damn glazed donuts. She looked up as the cashier placed her macchiato on the counter.

"I wish my significant other looked at me the way you're looking at those donuts."

Katelyn giggled scrunching her nose. "Can I get a dozen? And one for yourself."

"You're my new favorite customer, just don't tell any of the locals." Replied the cashier giggling.

"Um…I heard that, so if y'all want your secret safe, I'm gonna need at least six of them donuts, at no charge…"

Katelyn turned to the humorous voice. She scrunched her nose and sent a cheeky smile in Sami's direction, her eyes slyly admiring the light ripped jeans, with her opened grey plaid shirt. As Sami drew closer with a proud of herself grin, Katelyn pressed her shoulder against her playfully nudging.

"Don't be a snitch, Wilson. And what on Earth are you doing here this early? I wasn't sure you were aware that there are two eight o'clocks in a day."

"I gotta get the bar stocked, wanna help?" She asked roguishly.

Sami for a moment let her eyes trace Katelyn in her white pinstripe shirt that hugged each curve perfectly as it dropped slightly over her light hip hugging jeans. Her heart skipped as it always did when she would set her sight on the woman's narrowed yet satisfyingly enticing come hither eyes.

"I would but, are you willing to pay me at my current rate as a criminal defense attorney?"

Sami laughed as the cashier placed Katelyn's donuts next to her Macchiato and then a small box on top of the glass with a lingering wink toward Sami. Katelyn's smirk pushed an arched brow as Sami's mischievous smile displayed itself, once the cashier walked away.

"Nothing's really changed around here, huh?" She asked grabbing her box and coffee as Sami rushed to get the door for her, then leaned her forearm against it as Katelyn brushed passed slightly.

"Hang around permanently and see for yourself." Replied Sami with a raised brow and devious smirk.

"Thinking about it…" She trailed, leaving Sami with a confused look all over her face.

Katelyn smirked, making sure to look back as she opened the door to her rental SUV to stare at Sami standing there with her hands up. She laughed, dropping her sunglasses over her nose before sending a small wave and getting in her car to drive away. Regardless of her body's unexpected reaction to Sami the other night at the bar, she was positive it was the whiskey. She was sure she could develop a healthy and completely platonic friendship with Sami, it's all she wanted, and the Sami she remembered always liked to tease, maybe it was time to give as good as she got. She finally had the control to stop herself from letting Sami trickle back into her heart, just giving herself the painful reminder as to why they never made it in the first place kept the wall she needed firmly up… Silently she pushed away the small excitement that would trail after certain interactions, or looks from Sami but she knew it meant nothing. She finally felt a happiness with the direction her friendship with Sami was finally going.

***

Before pushing against the revolving entrance door to her father's firm, she tightly tucked the box of delights under her arm, then hitched her briefcase and coffee against the other hand, clutching firmly she pushed the revolving door, eventually being met by the smiling face of Richard in the lobby as he rushed and grabbed her briefcase that barely held on to the hook of her finger. She stumbled slightly before gathering herself to send him a thankful smile.

"Looking a little disheveled there Miss. Jensen." He expressed lightheartedly.

Katelyn laughed before flicking her head back, to let her hair fix itself back over her shoulder.

"I thought it'd be a good idea to grab a huge box of donuts on top of everything else." She explained sarcastically, while tucking the donut box to balance on her forearm and wrist.

"Okay, well they're all waiting for you in the conference room." Explained Richard, pointing toward the elevator.

As they stood, Katelyn took a deep breath. She could feel Richard's eyes burning into her cheek as they rode the elevator up to the twelfth floor. She kept her eyes forward.

"Yes, Richard?"

He cleared his throat. "Oh, nothing…just nice to see you here…"

She turned to him with an arched brow. "You were always a terrible liar. What is it?"

"That wasn't a lie."

She rolled her eyes. "Then why is your brow almost sweating, my dear?"

He smiled. "Just kind of wondering if you're any closer to making your decision?"

She shook her head, moving her stare back to the floor numbers as they lit up while they ascended. "Well…I was debating on whether I wanted Chinese for dinner, or maybe just have a good old pizza. As of yet…I'm still in two minds. Any suggestions?"

He laughed, nudging her lightly. "I sure didn't miss that smartass nature of yours. On a serious note, I think we would make one hell of a team…two of this County's best defense criminal attorneys teaming up…my oh my."

Katelyn scrunched her nose, refusing to meet his stare. She was sure not to give anything away, watching him sweat amused her too much.

"We always did make the best damn team." She stated just as the number twelve lit up.

"You're really not going to tell me, huh?" He asked, quickly matching her pace off the elevator.

Katelyn stood in front of the large oak door, then looked up at his hopeful expression that pressed against his squared jaw. She winked suggestively before letting him open the door for her, then saying nothing she entered the large conference room. Admiring the ceiling to floor windows from wall to wall behind her father that showed off the entire beauty East Pines offered, nothing but treetops and a few large buildings barely peeking through. Although it was still quite chilly outside the bright blue sky and ice white clouds lit the room up perfectly. She finally set her eyes back on her father as he got up from the large dark mahogany oval desk, his arms wide open, as his ear to ear smile showed off his pearly whites.

She scanned her eyes to a few bodies that stood up with him. The only recognizable face was that of her father's good friend and the family attorney, Charles Wilshire. She noticed two young faces staring at her in awe. Quickly placing the large white box of donuts on the table she cleared her throat as her father approached to wrap his strong arms around her.

"My darling." He stated before kissing her on the head. Turning to the few bodies standing, he wrapped an arm over Katelyn, gripping her shoulder.

"Of course, Charles you already know who this is." Arthur explained.

Charles nodded with a welcoming smile that hid under his nicely groomed white handlebar moustache. He always reminded her of an old Civil war soldier. Slicked back white hair, and eccentric, but a very kind man…yet ruthless in the courtroom, which is why her father held onto him for the past thirty years, she knew.

Katelyn sent him a warm smile before turning to the young faces that continued to stare, their eyes big.

"Katie this is Melissa Tundler, and Gavin Lavery. They are our, well they're Richards paralegals, and very good ones at that. I brought them here, because they're up and comers, and helping me with my next murder case." He explained before pulling out a seat for her, while Richard rested her briefcase next to her and took the seat beside her.

Katelyn sat down nodding at them with a warm smile. "Nice to meet you both. I did bring us some donuts…I hope it's not too early, but these donuts are just to die for."

Richard sniggered as she slid the box across the table toward the young go getters.

"Thank you, ma'am." Stated Gavin before getting up to quickly snatch one.

"Oh, please don't call me ma'am, yet. I know I'm older but I'm not old." She explained, resting a small smirk against her cheek.

Richard shook his head with a grin.

"Oh, I'm sorry Miss. Jensen."

Katelyn's brow raised, the poor boy was sweating and hands trembling. She couldn't help but wonder why on Earth she made him so nervous?

"No apology needed at all Gavin. You'll get used to my humor." She replied.

"Planning on staying long enough for that?" Asked Arthur as he sat down at the head of the table, opening a file.

Katelyn tilted her head, keeping her eyes on her father who stared at her over the tops of his reading glasses. She felt all eyes on her, along with Richards incessive foot tapping.

"Well my decision has been made if that's what you're really asking." She stated, then grabbed her coffee to take a small sip.

Arthur sat back in his chair, lightly throwing his glasses on the file in front of him, he rested his elbows on the arm of his leather chair and intertwined his fingers placing his pointers against his lips. His eyes narrowed.

Katelyn smirked as she watched her father try to read her body language and eye contact. Always the attorney. She arched a brow.

"I'm in dad." She whispered, her heart jumping up into her throat.

Arthur dropped his head, pressing it against his thumbs before getting up with the biggest smile on his face.

"Are we sure? You're one hundred percent in?" He asked walking to her.

Katelyn got up smiling. "This is where I belong, who was I kidding?"

Arthur embraced her tightly. Katelyn wrapped her arms around her father, clamping her eyes shut, Quinn entered her thoughts… There was the hurt again, then the sickness in the pit of her stomach. It had been nearly two weeks… Quinn had yet to reply to a text or a call. Katelyn wasn't about to try and hassle every and anyone her and Quinn knew. Quinn had her number… Yet refused to use it. It made her decision a no brainer, she was happy in Boston because of Quinn, she despised the thought of home because of Sami, her and Sami were fine again. Finally, the friendship the two had tried so desperately to have before was coming together. This was destined to be her next chapter, she was sure.

Arthur released her. She watched his tears balance, and lightly she brushed her thumbs against them, catching them. She turned to Richard already standing with his arms open. Laughing she finally embraced him.

"Welcome home, Katie." He whispered, kissing the top of her head.

Arthur moved back to his chair, clearing his throat. "Well, now that we have your decision, we can start moving forward with our game plan." He stated.

Katelyn sat down with Richard, nodding.

"We previously talked, and in hopes that you'd say yes we decided that Gavin will solely be your paralegal, and Richard will have Melissa. Although I know you'll both work together on many of your cases and the four of you will be a team to demolish anyone out of court, I want you both to have strong wing men." He paused looking toward Melissa. "No offence, it's just a figure of speech."

Melissa giggled. "I'll be whatever this firm needs me to be, Sir."

Arthur smiled. "Okay, I have a few more things to take care of and I'm sure you have a lot of back and forth to do before you can be with us full-time Katelyn. That'll give me time to get the decorators in to re-do your office, fresh paint. You'll be right next door to Richard, I wanted it that way."

Katelyn nodded. "I'm due to call George this afternoon. I'll tell him my plans and if he requires a written resignation, so be it. I fly out next week, I can give it to him then. There is the issue of getting into another apartment, but I can deal with all of that after I take care of things back in Boston."

"Right now, I have these guys helping me with my current case, and when you're settled in, we'll bring you in." He explained, flicking through some papers.

"Want to give me a run down?" Katelyn asked, ripping some of her donut and popping it in her mouth.

Arthur grabbed his glassed from his top vest pocket, placing them on the edge of his nose while he scanned the case in front of him. He slid a folder toward Katelyn and Richard.

"Her name is Amanda Robinson…forty-eight-year-old woman. Being charged with first-degree murder on her husband, uh…" He paused searching for the name. "Michael Robinson."

"Okay, and what's our defense?" She asked, skimming through the pages.

"Self-defense."

"We have any evidence of this?"

Arthur nodded. "Countless police reports over the last six months. He was a heavy drinker. Gambling problem also. Gavin and Melissa are due to go visit some family and friends of the couple tomorrow. Whatever we can get from them, we'll take. Her daughter is willing to take the stand. The son not so much…he claims his father did nothing wrong, great father, provider etcetera."

Katelyn looked up at her father. "Is the daughter credible?"

Arthur gave her a proud smirk. "We're still working on that…there's a lot to go through. So, the sooner we get you in, the better it'll be for all of us and Mrs. Robinson.

Katelyn shut the folder. Her heart was beating with excitement. This is what she lived for.

"I couldn't agree more."

Arthur nodded slowly, his brows raising slightly. Suddenly he shifted his eyes toward everyone else. "If you could all excuse us, I'd like to talk to Katelyn alone please."

Everyone nodded, quickly they rose gathering their papers, and nodded to Katelyn as Richard clutched her shoulder forcing her to look at him. His smile was a small and appreciative one. She returned his warmth pressing her cheek against his soft hand.

Once everyone finally left, Arthur slid a chair next to her… Lightly he tapped his finger against the table.

"What dad?" She asked, his serious expression confusing her.

"What's happening with Quinn? Is she moving here? Or has this decision ended it?"

Katelyn dropped her eyes to the floor, as she was reminded of the hurt that seemed to just convulse through her body.

"I guess she ended it…she hasn't spoken to me since I left." She paused raising her eyes to meet her fathers. "She made the decision easier."

Arthur clenched his jaw through weakened blinks. "I'm so sorry my dear."

"Don't be dad. I'm glad she did it now, rather than later. It would have been a mess." She stated.

"You really loved her, didn't you?" He asked.

"Wholeheartedly, I did."

"Come here." He requested in a whisper, wrapping his arms around her.

"I hope one day you can love someone and just be happy…you deserve it more than any of us."

Katelyn broke her father's embrace before swiping a tear from her lashes.

"Right now, I'm okay just working on me…being by myself is what I need, being home is what I need, and not being involved with anyone is certainly what I need. If love comes, so be it but I'm okay if it doesn't for a while." She replied with a small smile.

Arthur pressed a small smile against his beard. "You always were the stronger one."

Katelyn scrunched her nose, clearing her throat from the thought of never seeing or even touching Quinn again.

"On to the next chapter. I think I'll tell everyone tomorrow at dinner, let's leave mom in dark until then too."

Arthur laughed. "Your brother and sister are going to lose their minds, hell Donna too."

"Oh, God. I can just picture it now. I don't know who will scream louder with joy, my sister…or my brother." Stated Katelyn through a giggle.

He nodded. "I want to ask you something and if it would make you uncomfortable, I'd understand."

"Hmm?" Katelyn tucked her hair behind an ear.

"Would it be okay if I invited Sami to dinner tomorrow? Usually we have her come to our weekly family dinners; she really is a huge part of our family now." He explained, nervously.

Katelyn giggled once more. "If you would've told me we'd be having this exact conversation a couple weeks ago, I would have told you you've lost your damn mind!"

He laughed resting his warm hand over hers, his concerned eyes pleading for an answer.

She smiled against her cheek, tilting her head to him slightly. "Dad, it's perfectly okay for her to be there. I promise."

She laughed as her father blew a big sigh of relief.

"Thank you, my dear. Your mom made me be the one to ask, always the bad guy, huh?"

Katelyn laughed. "Sami and I have mended all bridge's; you guys really have nothing to worry about."

He patted her hand. "I knew you would. She really is one of the good ones."

"We're actually going out to dinner on Thursday." She paused to her father's suspicious brow arch, pushing a laughter from her. "Just friends dad. I could never let myself go back to the mess that was us back then."

Arthur nodded. "I've always told you…Never say never."

Katelyn pulled her hand from under his. "Dad…I love that you love her now…but, I hated it when I did. I could never and will never go back to that."

"I understand and don't feel like I'm pushing anything, I'm just letting you know…it would be okay…" He explained.

She nodded. "I'm perfectly okay with where we are now, and I want nothing more in this world than for it to stay this way. I don't feel that way for her anymore, maybe a small remanence hits me every once in a while, but that's the after affects. She was like a drug at one point…" She paused realizing she was not about to have this conversation with her father of all people. "Okay, so this conversation is over. I have a few calls to make."

She got up, her father raising with her as he buttoned his jacket.

"Okay, I'll see you tonight when I get home…thank you for making the decision you did, Katie. Having you home is all we ever wanted."

Katelyn nodded before gently kissing his cheek and leaving. 

Chapter 16

Katelyn sat in front of her laptop while finishing up her letter of resignation to George Arnold. While on the phone he made it very clear he wasn't very thrilled about her decision to leave his firm, even offering her a quick advancement to Senior Partner. It made her feel good to know all of her hard work and dedication brought so many opportunities, especially with a firm that had no affiliation with her father. Letting her know that she was worth the position her father offered, and not because she was his daughter.

"Katie!"

Katelyn took a deep breath as she proofread her letter before sitting back and stretching to shout over her shoulder.

"I'll be down in a second, I'm just finishing up. You guys start without me." She explained, her eyes scanning her screen once again.

She sighed as she reached the end and quickly slapped her laptop shut, reminding herself to print it after dinner. She got up from her desk, turning toward her bed she grabbed her cream plush cashmere shawl, wrapping it over her shoulders and made her way down the oak staircase to join the rest of her family at the dining table for dinner. She stopped in the archway smiling as she watched everyone passing bowls full of her mother's old-fashioned recipes around. Their laughter and chatter warming her deeply. Her mother caught her stare, presenting her with a warm smile and little head nod.

"Come join us my dear."

Katelyn smiled, before taking a seat next to Donna who passed her a bowl of salad with a small nudge and wink.

"Here you go gorgeous."

Katelyn took the bowl, balancing some salad between the salad forks, she put some on her plate before passing the bowl to Billy next to her. Letting her eyes scan the different array of bowls, of brown rice, white rice, vegetables, pork chops enclosed in her mother's sautéed onions, pushed her salivation to the limit. The aroma of roasted potatoes and onions filling the nostalgia of her childhood. She looked up to Nicole passing her a glass of white wine, smiling she took it before taking a small sip. She was never much of a drinker on an empty stomach.

Her eyes scanned the table, Sami was missing.

"No Sami?" She asked before popping a broccoli head in her mouth.

"She sent your brother a text, she's running a little late. She should be here soon." Stated Arthur.

As they sat there, conversations flowing and laughter filling the air Katelyn sat back, she was stuffed to the brim laughing as Donna patted her stomach. A small knock interrupted the laughter, Katelyn turned to Sami leaning against the archway, a lazy smile resting against her jaw. She looked beat, as her hands cocooned themselves inside the front pocket of her black hoodie. Katelyn sent her a sympathetic smile while Zack patted the seat next to him.

Sami pushed off the archway, before wrapping her arm over his neck to rush her hand through his hair purposely messing it up. They laughed, while Katelyn pushed back in her chair waiting patiently for her food to settle, hoping it would be ready for dessert soon.

Arthur pressed his napkin against his beard before clinking his whiskey glass, making sure to silence the table and grab everyone's attention.

"Okay, now that everyone's here, Katelyn has something she would like to share with you all." He explained, sending a slight nod toward her.

Katelyn swallowed hard. Grabbing her wine glass, to take a small sip. "Yes…"

She cleared her throat. "So, nobody knows my real reason for coming back…" She paused looking toward Zack, his brows drawing together as confusion grew. Again, she swallowed hard. "The real reason was because, dad offered me Senior Partner in the firm, and long story short, I came home to get a feel for being back home and seeing if it's something I wanted or if my new life in Boston was what I wanted." She paused clearing her throat to let her eyes scan to catch Sami's stare, she let their eyes duel for a few seconds before breaking it. "So, after these last two amazing weeks with you all, I finally made my decision…I think it would be for the best if…" Deciding to pause one last time, she looked toward her mother's pleading stare, then to Zacks hopeful expression before finally scanning to Nicole's praying hands as her head rested against them while her eyes remained on the table. Katelyn's lump in her throat pulled a quickened gasp. Even if her decision was to stay in Boston, she could have never broken their hearts again… Right then she knew she had made the right decision.

"Come on Katie, the suspense is killing us here!" Explained Zack.

Katelyn smiled, tilting her head to him. "I'm coming home, Zack…and I'm staying." She stated, finally.

She watched tears form against his lashes as he stood up, along with Nicole and their mother. She laughed as they nearly squeezed the life from her. Gwen stopped to press her palms against Katelyn's cheeks, forcing eyes to rest on the elated warm eyes. "You have no idea what this means for our family, thank you so much my Katie bear."

Katelyn embraced her mother, her cheeks catching Katelyn's tears.

Arthur cleared his throat with tears balancing, he raised his glass of whiskey. "Welcome home, Katie, finally."

Katelyn smiled warmly toward him as Donna embraced her. "This is the best news." Whispered Donna.

As everyone's laughter spread, Katelyn dropped her eyes to Sami's staring blankly into her whiskey glass. Not a smile, or expression. Her stomach sank, quickly she swallowed hard before Billy took her attention with a bear hug and raising her from the ground.

Finally, Sami raised up, Katelyn stood still, staring. Desperately she tried to read the emotionless darks. Sami's jaw clenched as she lightly took Katelyn's hand in hers, her heart suddenly jolting to the soft clutch. She watched Sami smile slowly, "It's about time…" She said with a wink, before gently bringing Katelyn in for a short hug.

 

Katelyn tightened the wrap of her cream shawl, and grabbing her wine glass from the breakfast bar, she decided to join Sami out on the deck. She'd been out there since dinner ended, kindly refusing dessert, explaining she wanted some much-needed fresh air. Katelyn tried not to think much of it and accepted it alongside everyone else when Donna quickly explained she did it after every family meal, even with their parents.

"Hey you." She said softly noticing Sami laying on the lounger, her hood over her head while her whiskey glass balanced on her stomach, her hands tucked behind her head.

Sami looked over with a smile.

"Hey yourself." She replied, grabbing her whiskey and taking a small sip.

Katelyn sat on the bottom of the other lounger, tightening her shawl. The night was chillier than she expected.

"Enjoying yourself out here?"

Sami nodded with a smile. "Yes ma'am. You should go back inside watching you shiver is making me cold."

Katelyn giggled. "You'll be fine and I'm fine."

Finally, Katelyn leaned back in the other lounger, laying on her side to look over at Sami, who laid in silence to watch the night sky.

"Tell me what you're thinking." Insisted Katelyn.

Sami smirked, looking over her shoulder at her. "About what?"

"How do you feel about me moving back?" Asked a curious Katelyn.

"It means the world to your family."

Katelyn nodded. "I know…but what about you?"

Sami looked away. "Does it matter?"

"I guess it shouldn't, but seeing as we're friends, I'm curious." She explained, keeping her eyes on the dark figure.

"I'm happy you made the decision you did. It makes Nicole and Zack happy and if they're happy, I'm happy."

Katelyn sat up, she knew Sami wasn't one to go into too much depth about anything really, but her tone was a positive one, so she decided to leave it at that. "Okay good. I'll leave you in peace but don't stay out too long, eventually you'll get pneumonia."

Sami laughed, "No, I'm coming back in, it's getting a little chilly out here now." Sitting up she held her hand out for Katelyn to help her up. Katelyn smirked before grabbing the hand and struggling slightly to eventually pull Sami up.

"Christ let up on the donuts, fatty."

Sami laughed as they stood closely. Katelyn felt helpless as her eyes locked in Sami's darks. She smiled, biting her bottom lip as she watched the darks finally smile. Suddenly she took in a deep breath as Sami slowly moved in and rested a soft kiss against her cheek. Without any kind of control, she found herself leaning into the soft kiss, her eyes clamping shut as her heart jumped into her throat, her palms turning to the soft strokes of Sami's fingers. In that moment she became lost, unable to escape the unexpected pull.

"Welcome home, Kate." Sami whispered softly before breaking their subtle hold. Sami kept her eyes down before walking back inside leaving the opened French doors behind her. Katelyn leaned her back against the rail, gripping the edge as her body erupted from the honey like whisper. Her legs turning to jelly as shivers stimulated every hair in her body. Don't start tripping up, Katelyn.

Chapter 17

Katelyn stood waiting patiently against the kitchen counter while the coffee machine brewed her morning fuel. Mindlessly she scrolled through apartments to rent around town. None really grabbing her attention, a part of her wishing the last apartment she had in the Pines was available. She really loved it there, but honestly the memories of what took place there would've tainted it, if she was honest with herself. Unexpectedly her phone vibrated n her hand, and an unknown number displayed itself on the top of her screen. Confused she quickly swiped down to open it.

"Hey Princess…I'll be there at five to pick you up. Be ready. ;)"

Katelyn rested a smirk. She knew exactly who it was.

"Call me Princess again, and I'll cancel our plans. ;)"

She rolled her eyes, turning and placing her phone on the counter, she happily poured her needed coffee, her phone vibrated again.

"Okay, I'm sorry Katherine…wait…I mean Shelly, or is this Tina?"

Katelyn couldn't help but laugh out loud, her heart skipping gently.

"Very funny, asshole. I'll see you at five. Don't be late."

Eventually Katelyn made it back upstairs, her laptop open and paperwork covering her entire bed. Even though she technically wasn't starting at her father's firm for another month, Richard had been nice enough to send her information on his latest case, after begging her to do some research while Gavin and Melissa worked on the rest at the office. She was leaving for Boston in a few days to pack everything up and get back to the Pines as soon as possible, she wasn't willing to take the month vacation her father insisted she take to get everything in order. She squinted her eyes, desperately trying to concentrate. The coffee unfortunately wasn't working, and her eyes just got heavier as the minutes passed. Finally, she gave in and let her eyes drift.

She was woken by her mother's gentle shaking.

"My dear, it's five o'clock. Sami is downstairs waiting for you."

Katelyn quickly raised her head, running her hands through her hair, flustered.

"My God, I literally passed out. I've slept the entire day." She explained.

"It's okay my dear, you must've needed the sleep. I can tell Sami that you're not feeling so well and to leave it for another time." Replied Gwen.

Katelyn shook her head. "No, no. Can you tell her to give me a few minutes while I quickly throw something on and get freshened up?" She asked.

Gwen nodded with a small smile. "Okay dear, I'll see you downstairs."

Sami looked over her shoulder to see Gwen entering the kitchen alone. Slowly she got up from the stool.

Gwen waved her to sit back down. "Sit down my dear, she's getting ready."

Sami did as she was told. "We can do dinner another time, that sea food place isn't going anywhere anytime soon."

"I already told her, but she insisted you wait while she gets ready." Explained Gwen, sliding a cup of coffee toward Sami.

Sami wrapped her fingers around the cup, blowing gently to split the thick dancing steam cloud.

Gwen leaned her elbows against the breakfast bar forcing Sami's lowered eyes to move up to meet hers. Sami's noticed a mischievous smile showing itself.

"Yes, Mrs. Jensen?" Asked Sami with a small brow arch.

"How is my Sami?" She asked, taking a small sip of coffee.

"I can't complain. Wishing your brother would get in contact and stop ignoring my calls."

Gwen nodded, raising from her elbows she lightly patted Sami's forearm.

"I spoke with him yesterday…he is doing okay, just struggling to process it all." She explained, her eyes moving to an entering Katelyn.

Sami caught Gwen's smile and turned to look over her shoulder. Sami's hard swallow caught her thundering heart as Katelyn walked in, wearing tight hip hugging jeans and a long loose pink plaid shirt, only a few buttons closing it. Sami took in a deep breath just as her eyes took in the olive-skinned beauty in front of her, her long brown hair shifted to one side, letting it fall over one shoulder. Those damn eyes catching her off guard every damn time. She couldn't pull away her fixated stare, she wasn't even sure she wanted to, taking Katelyn in is all she ached to do.

"What're you guys talking about?" Katelyn asked, taking a stool next to Sami while Gwen poured another cup of coffee.

Sami said nothing while she studied Katelyn tucking her chin against her collar bone to look at her, her soft hair falling over an eye. Katelyn pushed her fingers through her hair, uncovering the unknown seductions for Sami's full view.

Gwen giggled, moving her sights from Sami and back to her daughter.

"We were discussing your uncle taking his good old time about the surgery."

Katelyn reached for her cup, nodding. "I leave to go back to Boston on Tuesday I'm going to need him to hurry it up."

Sami cleared her throat. "Did he mention why he's been ignoring my calls?"

Gwen shook her head. "No dear. I'm sorry. He did mention Nadine has been non-stop calling, trying hopelessly to help him make the right decision."

Sami dropped her eyes to her cup. Katelyn glanced through her lashes toward her mother with an arched brow.

"How're you and Nadine doing?" Asked Gwen quietly.

"We're doing good…" Sami trailed.

"She's a good woman, Sami. I don't know where my brother would be if it wasn't for her."

Sami nodded, "I just hope her griping on Mick will work, he's gotta listen to someone with some sense about such a subject."

Katelyn raised up from her stool patting Sami on the back.

"Okay, shall we get out of here? I'm famished."

Sami got up nodding and looked toward Gwen. "Thank you for the go-go juice Mrs. J."

Katelyn giggled as she watched Sami run around the truck to get the door for her. She swung her legs out gently holding the hand being offered to help her out.

"Thank you." She said softly.

Sami nodded, pulling the rustic oak door open for her. Katelyn tucked a small smile into her cheek before walking in and letting her eyes admire the décor. They lit up to the filled seats, loving the blue contemporary wooden tables and chairs, complimenting the rustic black vinyl flooring. The soft lighting bouncing off the original red brick walls. She followed Sami and the greeter to their table, her eyes captivated by the large fish net ropes hanging from the dark rafters, loving that they opened up the old building's skeleton, putting it on display in such a simplistic but original way. She was thankful she decided to wear her long sleeve plaid shirt, while the large wooden ceiling fans pulled any kind of heat from her body. Finally, they were seated toward the back which Katelyn preferred.

"I can't tell you how badly I've wanted to come here." Stated Sami, scanning the menu.

Katelyn nodded, her mouth slightly salivating as she read the countless dishes being offered.

"I think I'm going to get the Tequila lime shrimp zoodles." Said Sami, putting her menu down.

Katelyn chewed the inside of her cheek. "That does sound delicious, but I think I'm going to try the seafood arrabbiata."

"That does sound good…" Sami trailed, debating if she should change.

Katelyn giggled she could see the wheels turning in Sami's mind.

"Order the Tequila zoodles and we can just try each other's."

Sami nodded, smiling as their waitress approached, while discussing their order Katelyn rested her chin against her fists while watching intently to Sami's interactions. Finally, she let herself take the tattooist in. Sami hadn't changed one bit, maybe her behaviors with the ladies of the Pines, which was always Katelyn's issue. It felt so good that the two could finally sit in the same room and not want to be at each other's throats, did she feel some side effects regarding Sami and her past feelings? Sure, but not enough to completely blur her judgment, it felt more like harmless fun like anyone else Katelyn liked to playfully tease. There didn't seem to be that heaviness, or ache to want Sami's touch, even hunger for it. She took in a soft breath as the darks finally met her wondering browns.

"You good over there, Jensen?"

Katelyn smiled. "Yes, Wilson…are you?"

"I'm starving, so that's never a good thing."

Katelyn rolled her eyes. "So, can we talk about Nadine?"

Sami kept her eyes on her ice water, stirring it slowly with the straw, listening intently to the soft clinks of ice against the glass.

"Can we not?"

"We're genuinely friends now, and I'm that friend that likes to know things…you already know this." Stated Katelyn sipping her own ice water.

Sami smirked. "She's not as bad as what some might tell you."

Katelyn nodded, offering a sympathetic smile. "I made it very clear that I'd develop my own opinions…"

Sami looked up at her. "Thank you."

"I'm looking forward to meeting her…it takes a special kind of woman to reel Sami Wilson in and keep their…activities exclusive." Replied Katelyn with an amused smirk.

"Just a patient one, Kate." Stated Sami, shifting in her seat.

It was Katelyn's turn to shift in her seat. "If you say so." She paused clearing her throat. "And please, enough of the Kate, Sam…I'm serious." She said sharply before sitting back while the waitress brought them their drinks.

"All right, what's the issue with being called Kate?" Asked a curious Sami.

Katelyn shook her head, her eyes scanning the enticing dishes of her fellow diners. "I can't explain it…" She trailed.

"Why don't you try?" Sami replied.

Katelyn scrunched her nose. "Let's not…"

"You realize it's your actual name, right? I'm actually getting your name correct…"

Katelyn couldn't stop her giggle. "Yes, I'm very aware, asshole. I would just prefer to be called Katelyn…please, Sam."

Sami nodded in defeat. "Okay…Princess."

Katelyn shook her head just as the waitress promptly arrived with their food.

"Damn this looks and smells delicious as all hell." Explained Sami.

Katelyn's eyes widened, as she took in a deep breath. Letting their dishes aromas entice every taste bud.

"So, is there a special someone back in Boston?" Sami asked before popping a buttered shrimp in her mouth.

Katelyn laughed while watching Sami's eyes practically roll into the back of her head.

"Well, there was."

"What happened?"

Katelyn went on to explain how the two had met and what exactly happened. Her heart aching through each word as her painful reminder escaped her lips. How could Quinn do this to her? After everything. She sighed.

Sami's jaw clenched, she sat in silence listening to the woman who wholeheartedly had her heart and didn't even know it, talk about a woman she loved.

"So, to say the least Quinn made my decision a lot easier." Finished Katelyn.

"Or she knew in her heart the Pines is where you belonged and didn't want to come between you and home?" Replied Sami, picking slowly at her food. Her appetite disappearing in an instance.

"I don't think so, she made it clear she hated the fact of me even coming back to visit."

Sami pushed her brows together. "Why?"

"You…" She replied softly.

Sami dropped her stare. "She knows about me?" Sami asked quietly.

"Yes, she helped me through so much after, she was convinced you would try to lure me back in and take me from her…" She paused, letting the silence grow between them. "I don't know what I would've done without her, Sam. She was there through every sleepless night, wiping every tear…"

Sami swallowed her ache. "I'm glad she was there for you through…that." Sami raised her pained gaze, the throbbing ache pounding against her chest. Regardless what had happened between them both she always had a hope that someday, somehow Katelyn's love would come back to her and she could finally love her the right way, but as the words from Katelyn about her new love hit Sami's ears… The realization that she had finally lost Katelyn suddenly dawned on her, and it cut her to her core.

"I never meant to hurt you like the others. If there was any way I could reassure her that I'd never try to come between you both, trust and believe I'd do everything in my power, Katelyn. I don't know why people think I'm that kind of person. Sure, I have history…but I've never been one to chase someone's woman."

Katelyn narrowed her eyes, realizing she was studying a deep hurt in the bloodshot darks. "I told her you weren't like that. Oh, Sam…I didn't mean to bring this to you to punish you." Katelyn reached over, letting her fingers rest on Sami's hand.

Sami pulled away, clenching her jaw. "I know…I'm just sorry. My actions hurt you enough in the past, I can't stand that they somewhat…still are."

Katelyn brushed a hair behind her ear. "It's really not your fault, Sam. It's on her to work through her issues. Right now, I'm concentrating on getting over her."

"Is there anything I can do?"

Katelyn smiled. "No, I'll be fine. When it came to getting over…you it was so much different than it is now…now seems a little easier. I guess it made me stronger."

Sami said nothing, while clenching her jaw she pushed her half-eaten dish to the side. Grabbing her water, she took a few huge gulps, choking for it to be whiskey instead.

Katelyn sighed. Sami's complexion had turned pale, she reached for Sami's hand trying desperately to catch the darks with her forgiving browns.

"Sam…"

Sami shook her head, pulling her hand from Katelyn's grasp once again. "Don't Kate…lyn."

"Don't what, Sam? Please don't be hurt by this, we were just talking. I didn't bring this up to hurt either of us, it's all in the past. I promise I forgive you." Katelyn finished in a whisper.

Sami looked up, swallowing hard. Katelyn was in a good place and that's where she needed to be, but doing it was going to prove difficult considering the woman she still ached for was moving back. She knew she'd have to face her damn near every day just like last time. She shut her eyes and took in a deep breath, maybe it'd be easier to finally move on knowing Katelyn had moved on this time. She opened her eyes, raising her glass.

"Maybe one day Quinn will come to her senses and realize what a huge mistake she made."

Katelyn smiled, raising her glass she clinked it against Sami's.

"Maybe, and if not…you can be my wingman around these parts." She said laughing.

Sami masked her hurt with a smirk. "I don't know about all of that now, but you know we'll be keeping an eye on you and whoever comes along."

Katelyn giggled. "I'll be fine…especially with your sister, Nicole, Tara, and Erika. Oh, and speaking on Miss Erika…she's pretty." Stated Katelyn, trying to hide her mischievous stare behind her long lashes.

Sami grinned. "I didn't think she was your type."

Katelyn laughed, covering her mouth, a failed attempt at dimming her unexpected outburst. Slapping Sami's hand, before leaning forward.

"You know what I meant, asshole."

"She's a great gal, that's for sure." Sami trailed, still grinning.

Katelyn shrugged. "She comes across as more your type, no?"

She took a sip of water keeping her suggestive stare on Sami.

Sami smirked. "I wouldn't completely deny that, but the timing has never been right when it comes to me and her."

"That is a shame…" Katelyn trailed.

Sami shrugged. "Not really, she's a hell of a friend to have around."

Katelyn smiled warmly, allowing Sami a soft nod. "Good, I'm glad."

Chapter 18

Sami stopped at the light letting her thumbs drum to the radio, the corner of her eye-catching Katelyn roll her head to look at her. Sami smirked looking over, Katelyn's usually unintentional seductive browns expressing a tiredness.

"Go to sleep, I'll wake you when we get to your parents."

Katelyn shook her head, while she reached for the radio to surf the different stations.

"Thank you for dinner…are you going to come in for some coffee?" She asked, leaning back while country filled the silence.

"Don't mention it. I would but you know me, I gotta be up early."

Katelyn tucked her hands between her thighs, her eyes firmly on the road. "Oh, come in for even half a cup, you already know my mom is sitting patiently in the kitchen waiting to hear all about dinner." She replied, letting her eyes roll over the blurred trees.

Sami smirked. "I can't disappoint momma Jensen, huh?"

"You already know the answer to that." She stated.

Sami turned the ignition off and leaning forward she looked through the windshield to take in the beauty the cedar mansion had to offer. It was the sight of something out of a damn magazine, she thought to herself.

She got out of the truck, moving to Katelyn's side to open the door for her, offering her arm playfully. Katelyn bit her bottom lip with a smile, bowing her head slightly while she hooked her arm under Sami's, letting her take the lead to her parent's door. The two laughed lightly. Katelyn couldn't deny the lightness of her heart, the presence of its smile, something she can honestly say she hadn't felt in quite some time. Again, she put her enlightened happiness down to her and Sami finally finding their friendship. It was turning out to be better than she could have ever imagined. As they stopped at the door Sami grabbed the handle and staring at Katelyn she sent a slow wink with her smirk. Katelyn instantly dropped her head and cleared her throat, closing her eyes as her heart melted, instantly warming her. Side effects that's all, perfectly normal. I'm seeing Sami in a new light, a new version…my reactions to Sami are perfectly normal.

Finally, Sami opened the door letting Katelyn brush past her. Katelyn scrunched her nose before turning to look down the hallway and through the archway into the large kitchen.

She stopped in her tracks just as her heart did, her smile instantly disappearing. Sami turned after shutting the door behind them, nearly bumping into a frozen Katelyn. She looked up to see Gwen, Arthur and a stranger staring back.

"Quinn…" Katelyn said in a breathless whisper. Sami's heart sank.

Quinn got up from the stool, her eyes fixated on the two of them.

"That's all I get?" Asked the slightly slurred voice.

Katelyn scrunched her brows together, while walking toward the tall figure she thought she missed. "I'm sorry, are you drunk right now?"

Quinn shrugged. "I've only been here waiting all damn night; your father was good enough to offer me a few stiff ones. Figured I'd need them after telling me my girlfriend was out having dinner with an ex…or not an ex…kind of an ex?"

Sami stood, clenching her jaw. She could hear the bitterness in the strangers' voice. She took in a deep breath before finally walking into the kitchen, purposefully keeping her eyes on the tall woman.

"Your girlfriend? You haven't even tried contacting or replying to any of my texts or calls. Please don't come here and act like I've been mistreating your feelings, Quinn. And I'm sure as hell not going to even attempt talking to you when you're in a drunken stupor."

Quinn laughed. "So, it only took barely two weeks to not hear a damn thing from me before you went running back to that low life." Finished Quinn nodding in Sami's direction.

"There won't be any of that." Stated Arthur, raising from his stool.

Sami sent a smirk toward Quinn. "It's all right Arthur, let her say what she's got to."

Katelyn turned to look over her shoulder to Sami, her pleading browns forcing an already fired up Sami to drop her glaring darks.

Quinn put her hands up, laughing slightly. "You don't want to hear what I really want to say."

Sami stepped forward pulling her hands from her pockets. Gwen quickly raised from her stool, pausing an oncoming Sami.

Katelyn put her hand up to Sami behind her, making sure she stayed right where she was while keeping her eyes on Quinn.

"How dare you come here and act like this. You won't speak to or about her like that. Run back to her? I did no such thing, Quinn."

Quinn spat a laughter. "Please…I had my reasons for leaving you the hell alone. I knew you'd decide to stay home. In my heart I knew it…tell me I'm wrong…"

Katelyn dropped her head, resting her hands on her hips, then raised her eyes back to a slightly unbalanced Quinn. "You're right…"

Quinn slammed her fist on the breakfast bar, then pointed her finger toward Katelyn. "I was trying to live my life without you…but my dumbass couldn't. So, I came here, not expecting this crock of shit, I might add. You really believe she wants to just be friends?"

"You're damn right I do." Stated Sami, her jaw clenching.

Quinn shook her head. "Don't tell me your ass doesn't still want her. I know your kind, always want what you can't have, and then ruin the lives of the ones who can."

Sami threw her hands up. "Looks like detectives got it all figured out, huh?"

"You had your fucking chance with her, and you fucked it up! Move on from her already. It's pathetic as fuck."

Sami nodded. "You've used up all of your passes, Quinn. Talk to me like that one more time and it'll be the last time." Sami paused stepping forward. "I'll tell you this one time, and one time only, I'd never try to come between you and her. We're strictly friends."

"Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit!" Yelled Quinn.

Sami threw her hands in the air, looking at Arthur. "I'm done here, or we're going to really get into it." She stated turning toward the hallway.

"Sam, please…" Katelyn pleaded, turning to move toward Sami, before she knew it Quinn grabbed her forearm pulling her into her forcefully, then pinning her hard against the breakfast bar, towering her, forcibly pressing her finger repeatedly into Katelyn's chest. Suddenly Arthur jumped to the tall woman, as Gwen screamed. Sami turned to see Quinn hovering over Katelyn gripping her arm in the air, with her finger in her face, yelling. Instantly causing Sami to snap and jump at Quinn. She grabbed Quinn's throat and threw her onto the breakfast bar, sending the whiskey bottle and glasses to the floor smashing, along with the fruit bowl and all of its contents. Fists began flying from both women. Quinn's fist caught just under Sami's eye, while Sami's flying fist pummeled Quinn's cheek, jaw and nose. Finally, Arthur was able to rip Sami from Quinn, wrapping his arm around her stomach to slam her against the wall.

Sami fought desperately to get away from him, her fist dripping blood. Finally, looking over his shoulder she looked at Quinn leaning against the edge of the breakfast bar nursing her nose. "Touch her again and I promise I'll fucking kill you." She spat, just as Zack and Donna walked through the door.

"What the fuck…" Zack asked, rushing to his father to help keep Sami pinned, as Donna wrapped her arms around a clearly shaken Katelyn and Gwen.

Arthur moved off Sami letting Zack hold the pin on Sami and move to his wife and daughter. "Are you both okay?"

Katelyn stood shaking as she watched Sami continue to be pinned by her brother. She moved her stare to Quinn slouched against the counter, her nose bleeding through her fingers.

"What the fuck just happened and who in the fuck is that!" Yelled Zack over his shoulder as Sami finally began settling down.

Arthur turned to Katelyn who remained silent, her eyes glued on Quinn.

"Katelyn?"

Eventually her eyes moved from a bloody Quinn to her father.

"Are you okay?" He asked again.

Without warning Katelyn rushed her hand to her mouth as tears finally began flowing. She felt her father catch her and hold her tightly into him. His hand softly stroking the top of her head.

"Katie, I'm so sorry. I don't know what came over me…" Whispered Quinn.

"Will someone please tell me what in the fuck just happened?" Demanded Zack.

"Later son. Can you go take Sami to one of the bathrooms to clean up?" Asked Gwen trying desperately to gather herself.

Sami shook her head. "No, I'll get out of here." She paused nodding to Zack to let her go then turned to Arthur and Gwen. "I'm sorry this happened." She said quietly before finally leaving their home.

Donna rushed out of the house, running toward Sami's truck calling after her. Eventually she caught up to Sami leaning against her truck door nursing her hand. Gently she took her hand, lightly pressing to feel if anything seemed broken.

"Jesus Sami, what did you do now?"

Sami winced slightly before pulling her hand away. "We got into it. Quinn started running her mouth, then when she put her hands on Katelyn, I just lost it, Don." She explained.

"That's Quinn? And she put her hands on Katelyn?" She asked opening the door for Sami.

Sami nodded, jumping into her truck. "Yeah, she's convinced I was trying to take her from her. The usual bullshit, then the next minute she yanked Katelyn up, finger in her face, then pressing it against her, yelling…well, you know me…"

Donna shook her head. "For the love of God. Okay I should probably head back inside and make sure she's okay. Call me when you get home, and get that hand cleaned up Sam."

Sami nodded and drove off.

Chapter 19

Sami winced as Nicole put an ice pack on Sami's injured hand from the night before. After Nadine looked at it when Sami made it home, she confirmed there hadn't been a break or a fracture to Sami's relief. She couldn't afford to be out of commission at the parlor or the bar especially not now.

"I swear to God, when I get my fucking hands on her Sami." Explained Nicole as she sat behind her Uncle's desk.

"Nicole, I've told you…calm down. I think she got the message after a few swings." Replied Sami, letting her hand rest on her thigh.

Sami looked up as a small knock on the door caught her attention. Her eyes met the soft smiling eyes of Sophie. "I have Katelyn here…"

Sami nodded for Sophie to let her in. She watched an almost timid Katelyn move past the door then look over her shoulder and give a slight nod gesturing to be followed. Sami's sudden confusion came to a conclusion as she watched Quinn peer from behind the door.

"Oh this bit—"

Quickly Sami got up and jumping across the room she hooked her forearm around Nicole's stomach only just preventing her sudden lunge from actually taking off.

Katelyn raised her palms to her sister. "Nicole please—"

"Don't please me. Especially after what she did to you." Nicole snapped.

"Nicole, you have no idea how sorry I am." Insisted Quinn.

"I honestly couldn't give a single solitary fuck how sorry you are, Quinn. The minute you thought it was okay to grab my sister like that…you lost the entirety of my respect. I can tell you that much."

Sami pushed Nicole back down onto the chair behind her. Eventually moving her sighs onto Quinn. "I don't think right now is the time…"

"Sami hear me out…" Pleaded Quinn.

Sami still stood, clenching her jaw. Soon she moved her eyes toward Katelyn who stood with her hands clamped together. A small pleading expression masking her olive face. Sami took in a deep breath, pushing it out forcibly she looked back at Quinn and nodded.

Katelyn looked at an enraged Nicole, with her arms crossed and her crossed over leg swinging profusely. "Nicole, can you excuse us for just a minute?"

Nicole threw her hands up and saying nothing she got up. Walking toward Quinn, she made sure to knock her shoulder into her. Stopping in her tracks, she looked up at Quinn who made sure to keep her eyes on Sami. "Know you'll never be welcomed here." She spat.

"Nicole!" Katelyn snapped.

Nicole waved Katelyn away before slamming the office door behind her.

Quinn clenched her jaw, keeping her eyes firmly on Sami.

"Listen…last night…there is absolutely no excuse for the way I reacted and spoke to you. I…I…" She paused looking toward Katelyn, then back to Sami. "I guess I'm here to tell you how sorry I am, I've never reacted like that before."

Sami nodded. "It's not me you should be apologizing to… but nonetheless I appreciate it. Now if that's all I have work to do."

Katelyn gave a long blink then nodded toward Quinn. "Leave me and Sami alone for a minute, I'll be out there soon."

Quinn nodded, dropping her head and did as she was told. As the door shut behind her Katelyn looked over at Sami taking a seat.

"Well, thank you for at least hearing her out." She stated.

Sami looked up through her brows. "Sure…but I'm letting you know right now…I'm not sorry for what I did. You need to be careful Katelyn, because if she lays one more finger on you. She's done."

Katelyn couldn't help but release an amused grin. She did miss the protective Sami. Walking over and grabbing her Uncle's chair she rolled it in front of Sami's desk, letting her study her purposely pleased with herself smile.

"You don't need to worry about me…" She insisted, keeping her eyes firmly on the daring darks.

"Like hell I don't." Sami snapped.

Katelyn smiled softly. "No honest Sam, we've decided to just be friends. She agreed she couldn't up and leave everything, and handle long distance and honestly, after seeing that version of Quinn last night…whatever love I felt, was never strong enough to accept that kind of behavior. There's jealousy and then there's her…as much as I love her…yeah, I can't have that in my life."

Sami took a sigh of relief. "Thank fuck for that. I'm sorry…but it's definitely for the best, because I don't need a first-degree murder on my record."

Katelyn rolled her eyes with a giggle. "Settle down, bodyguard." She stood up. "Okay, I have to take her to the airport. I'll be back later…hopefully I'll see you out there?" She asked over her shoulder as she pulled at the office door.

"Yes ma'am. Have Nicole go with you…" Sami insisted.

Katelyn looked over her shoulder. "I'll be fine, I'm a big girl Sami Wilson."

With that Katelyn shut the door with a giggle. She knew she should've probably been and felt a lot more hurt than she really was but, Quinn's behavior had turned her off quicker than she thought possible. It turned out Quinn wasn't exactly the person she'd masked herself to be for the last two years. Yes, she was genuinely attentive to Katelyn's wants and needs. Yes, she wholeheartedly loved Katelyn, but there had always been red flags when it came to Quinn's jealous streak that every now and again would rear its ugly head, but not like the night before. Never had she reacted so fiercely. They both sat down and had a good talk after everything had settled down. She could see Quinn was beyond apologetic for how she reacted but, her actions forced Katelyn to look at her differently now. Although the last thing Quinn wanted was to lose Katelyn completely, she knew if she didn't agree to a friendship, she was going to lose her altogether. Katelyn knew she would begin to eventually miss Quinn after all was said and done, but there would be no amount of missing to ever get over Quinn's behavior.

Chapter 20

Katelyn hopped into her SUV, exhaling with ease. She looked over to a sorrowful and punctured Quinn.

She sent a soft sympathetic smile. "Okay, let's get going, shall we?"

Quinn gave a small nod, swallowing deeply. "I hope one day your family can forgive me for my behavior last night."

"Quinn, like my parents said this morning over breakfast, they hold no grudges against you. We just hope that you start dealing with your inner demons. You can't keep doing this, especially after admitting to me last night for the first time in two years…every relationship has ended because of your jealous streak. The only person you're harming at the end of the day is yourself."

Quinn clenched her jaw. "I promise you Katelyn, I will. I'm done going down this road…especially now…especially losing…you."

Katelyn sighed, looking briefly over at Quinn with bloodshot eyes. "I'll always only be a phone call away, Quinn. I will try to help you through whatever you need me to…you did it for me."

"It'll take me some time to accept only a friendship with you, Katelyn…"

"I know that. My love for you hasn't switched off, Quinn. I'm going to need time too…but I need you to know regardless, I'll always be here." Explained Katelyn.

While her eyes rested on the road to the airport, the ache in her chest remained dull. She knew she should've felt more hurt than she actually did. Maybe the night before really hadn't sunken in fully, she wasn't sure. All she knew was she could never un-see the pure darkened rage in the once beautiful emerald eyes. The Quinn she witnessed wasn't the Quinn her heart had held so tightly. She had dared let anyone see her reddened wrist from Quinn's unyielding grip, and countless bruises on her chest. She closed her eyes briefly, taking in a deep breath, a sudden hurt rippled through her, then a sadness that she never deamed possible be from the woman she loved. There had been red flags, but she just shrugged it off. Quinn's previous jealous mishaps she felt were more endearing, but not this time… This time Quinn had taken it to a whole new level.

Finally, Katelyn pulled up onto the drop-off zone and put her SUV in park before taking a deep breath. She looked over at Quinn, tears falling over her clenched jaw.

"Please know, I'll always love you Katelyn."

Katelyn swallowed hard. As much as she wanted to cry, and she knew she should've, her heart just wouldn't allow it. She had been truly hurt and for the first time she'd hardened to Quinn enough to muster only a soft smile and gentle nod.

"Please text when you make it home safe, Quinn."

Quinn cleared her throat. "I'll be out of the apartment by before Tuesday…do you want me to start packing your stuff or just leave it for when you to do?"

Katelyn shook her head. "It's fine…I can do it. There is some stuff I want to get rid of, thank you though."

Quinn nodded gently. "Goodbye Katie."

Katelyn took in a quickened breath as Quinn quietly got out and gently shut the door behind her. She watched her throw her duffle bag over a shoulder and finally walk through the sliding door, not a glance back was offered. She took in a deep breath and shutting her eyes she clenched her steering wheel as a small release of relief washed over her. She was almost sure Quinn would have pleaded one last time, then gotten angry at Katelyn denying her but Quinn did no such thing. She knew she had been defeated.

Eventually she gathered herself before pulling away, her vibrating cell phone soon caught her attention. Looking at the name across the screen in her car she smiled softly before hitting answer, letting the call connect through the car speakers.

"Sorry the person you're calling right now can't take your call. Can I take a message?"

"Very funny. Are you okay?"

"Yes, Nicole. I'm okay. I'm leaving the airport now. Are you a little calmer now?"

"Yeah…now that Sami explained Quinn is the fuck out of here."

Katelyn rolled her eyes. "I know…you don't have to worry about her any longer."

"Yeah, well I made sure Donna and I are booked on the same flight as you on Wednesday. We're gonna help you pack."

"Oh my God, Nicole I will be fine, I don't need bodyguards for crying out loud." She explained, shaking her head.

"It's not all about you Katie. We've always wanted to visit Boston anyway. It's strictly to help pack…that's all."

"Uh-huh…I was born during the day, but not yesterday."

"Listen quit your yapping, Sami's already paid for the tickets, so whether you like it or not…we're going."

"I'm sorry, Sami did what?" Katelyn's heart jumped into her throat.

"She…bought the tickets…" Nicole trailed.

"Where is she?"

"She's at the bar…why?"

"I have to go." Katelyn snapped.

"Jesus, you're not mad, are you?"

"I don't need babysitters, Nicole." Stated Katelyn before hanging up abruptly.

***

Katelyn quickly slammed her car door shut after pulling into the parking lot of the Blackbeard, before marching in. It was nearing two in the afternoon, so she wasn't surprised that only a handful of the usual suspects were there. She let her eyes scan some of the faces, then looked behind the bar to a somewhat startled Donna, and Sophie.

She arched her brow. "Where is she?"

Donna scrunched her brows together, "Who?"

"Your sister." Stated Katelyn, with a hand holding a hip.

"Oh God, what did she do?" Asked Donna, her startled expression turning to a deflated one.

Katelyn approached, lifting the bar counter flap to get behind the bar.

"Is she in the office?"

Donna nodded, a disappointment behind it. "Yeah, just walk in…whatever she did Katie…I'm sorry."

Katelyn swallowed, taking a deep breath before pressing her palm against her friends' shoulder.

"It's not terrible, Don. I just need her to know some things."

Without a skip of a beat Katelyn made her way down the dim lit pewter hall. As she made it to the door, she debated whether to just storm in or at least knock. Rolling her eyes at herself, she shook her head and decided to knock.

"Come in."

Katelyn cleared her throat then pushed the stiff door open. Sami looked up, her confusion evident when her brows drew together. Katelyn shut the door behind her then turned back to Sami.

"Are…you okay?" Sami asked, getting up from her chair.

"I'm fine…but seriously?"

Sami slowly shrugged. "Seriously…what?"

"I'm a big girl Sam, I can handle myself. I don't need an entourage to help me pack my stuff in Boston…or to make sure I'm safe."

Sami dropped her stare, taking in a deep breath she clenched her jaw before taking a seat on the front of her desk.

She crossed her arms, and ankles. "I didn't do it because I thought you couldn't do it yourself. I did it to give your brother, sister and parents a peace of mind while you're out there…that's all. I'm well aware you can handle yourself. I've felt a slap or two from you, I have no worries about that."

Katelyn instantly softened, sighing lightly to leave a small smirk against the corner of her lips. There's that annoying thoughtful side…

"You really didn't have to do it, Sam. How much do I owe you for the tickets?"

"Um…let's say five thousand?"

Katelyn laughed. "No, I'm serious, Sam."

Sami leaned off her desk, turning her back to Katelyn while saying nothing and sat back down behind her desk, flicking through more paperwork.

"I nearly forgot how annoying you can be…"

Sami looked up with a smirk. "You can buy me dinner."

Suddenly a gentle knock on the door interrupted Katelyn's unamused brow arch.

"Come in…" Insisted Sami.

Katelyn turned to look over her shoulder to see a woman appear. Her eyes met the dark browns, and Katelyn sent a soft smile. She couldn't help but notice the woman's disdain as she quickly studied her before slamming the door behind her.

"Not interrupting anything, am I?" The stranger asked, a slight disgruntlement in her voice.

Katelyn watched Sami raise up with a smile. "No, not at all." She cleared an interruption in her throat. "Katelyn, I'd like you to meet Nadine, Nadine this is Katelyn…"

Katelyn's heart quickly leapt into her throat, why had she suddenly become nervous?

Steadying herself, Katelyn shook it off quickly and offered her hand to the smartly dressed woman, her tight-fitting pinstripe suit accentuating her soft feminine curves. It became clear as to why she had such a hold on Sami.

"Hey, Nadine. I've heard so much about you."

Nadine reached for the offered hand, giving it an uninterested shake. "Hi…yes, you've came up a few times."

Katelyn couldn't help but smirk against her cheek at the displeasure in Nadine's tone. Instantly she knew Nadine couldn't stand her, but regardless she was brought up to give everyone a chance. She could understand the woman's discontent with her, she just needed to realize Sami was all hers.

"Okay, well I'll leave you both to it, it was nice to meet you Nadine, hopefully we'll find more time to get to know each other." She paused looking toward an unusually nervous Sami, amusing her. "I'll see you tomorrow Sam." She finished with a subtle wink.

Sami rested a smirk with a nod. "See you tomorrow, Kate…."

Katelyn cleared a laughter from her throat. Asshole.

 

Part 3

Author's Page

Back to the Academy