Chapter 41

Katelyn sat in the kitchen on her laptop, she'd spent most of her morning answering emails, making phone calls and catching up with Richard on the firm. Briefly she'd spoken to Quinn the day before letting her know what happened. She didn't know why she reached out… Figuring it was probably out of habit, Quinn used to be her safe place, she always made her feel better. The last few days had been very much a blur. She'd taken no interest in helping or being part of the plans for tomorrow, if she could skip her dad's funeral she gladly would. She'd barely spoken to anyone except for Nicole, Donna, and Tara when she'd call which was few and far between but, she understood she was being ran off her feet with working at her mom's clothing store during the day and then the bar at night. When it came to Sami, she'd always come lay above the covers and hold her while she slept, not saying a word because she knew deep down Sami was aware there really wasn't anything she could say. All she'd heard about Zack was he was keeping himself busy, by getting drunk every night at the apartment him and Donna share. Katelyn told her to bring it to Sami, but Donna kept refusing explaining it's just his way of coping and Katelyn was too busy trying to accept her emotions to really be there for her little brother. She knew she was probably seeming selfish, but she didn't care right now, she had a lot to deal with regarding her father's firm and its future.

"I thought you might need these." Stated Sami coming into the kitchen with a coffee and a box of glazed donuts.

Katelyn bit her lip, offering a small smile. "You really didn't need to Sam but thank you." Opening the box, she grabbed a donut and putting it on a napkin she pulled a piece from it. "What're you doing here? I didn't think I'd see you back here until tonight." She said, sucking some of the glaze from her fingers.

"I just came to drop off some lunch. Figured you hadn't eaten yet." Replied Sami, grabbing a donut for herself before taking a bite. "Where's the old guy?"

"He's laying out on the porch enjoying the fresh air…my mom made him. I appreciate you thinking of me." Katelyn said softly, purposely keeping eye contact with the darks.

They seemed to have dealt well with being so close, especially being in the same bed together which is something Katelyn thought would be impossible but guessing the situation she understood. She may have always questioned Sami's ability of self-control, but after the last few days, Sami proved she was more than capable to keep her hands to herself.

Sami cleared her throat, dropping her stare. "Listen, I can't stay tonight…"

Katelyn tucked a hair behind her ear and cleared the disappointment from her throat.

"Okay…thank you for being here when I needed it most, Sam."

Sami nodded. "Of course, I'm still here if you need to talk and I would stay but Donna asked me to stay with Zack tonight, I guess he's been struggling more than I knew and I've just been busy trying to help out at the parlors and then the bar."

"I kinda guessed when you'd pass out before me." Said Katelyn with a small smile.

Sami smirked. "Yeah, sorry about that."

"I think we're coming to the bar tonight for a few drinks before tomorrow. Nicole and Donna mentioned something. I wasn't listening if I'm honest."

"Yeah, it's only gonna be a few of us. You should come, get out from these walls for a few hours." Said Sami, before stretching out and letting out a groan. "All right, I should get going, I still have a few things to get done. Do you need me to come get you later?"

Katelyn shook her head. "No, I'll just ride a cab with Nicole and Donna."

"Okay, well call if you need anything." Said Sami as she turned to leave.

Katelyn reached for Sami's forearm, stopping her in her tracks. Sami turned her brows drawn together.

"You okay?" Sami asked, moving closer.

Katelyn nodded, putting her sights on the floor below her. She knew Sami was being a friend to her especially after her dad's death and as much as she needed it and wanted it. She knew her love for Sami should've remained on the back burner in her thoughts, but it never did. She just couldn't bring it up because everything else needed her attention and her mind was all over the place after the accident. But as she sat there, still bruised and hurting, and grieving over her father all she wanted was to be in Sami's arms and not as her friend. They were finally alone…in a neutral place, she needed to see where Sami was and if she was still even close to where Katelyn was because after the last few days of being in Sami's arms all night every night, she knew that's where she belonged and a part of her was finally willing to give in to that fear, knowing full and well her father would've loved to have seen her give in to her fears and trust Sami. His sudden death had put a lot in perspective for her and wasted time was one of them.

"Sam…" She paused, swallowing hard as butterflies moved like waves in a thunderous ocean throughout her stomach, causing her to shift on her stool. Suddenly she felt Sami's finger hook her chin, forcing her browns to rest on the concerned darks. As her eyes traced the captivating darks, her accelerated breaths effortlessly winded her in that moment. Katelyn gently hooked her fingers over the hand that held her chin. "Are…God." She rolled her eyes, unable to construct a sentence without her voice trembling.

She swallowed hard as she watched Sami move in closer, and without warning her thighs opened, letting Sami move in between them slowly. Their eyes once again meeting as the silence built…she knew the darks were reading her mind like they always had, and this time she didn't fight it.

"Are you blowing hot on me, Miss Jensen?" Said Sami, a small smirk resting against a deep laugh line.

Katelyn arched a brow and bit her lip. "I think you already know…"

Katelyn's slow and soft whisper instantly forcing Sami's eyes to shut as her heart jumped into her throat. Clearing it, she opened her eyes to the seductive browns that aroused any and every sense she had in that moment.

"Your timing has always been impeccable, Kate." Stated Sami, letting the backs of her fingers softly traced Katelyn's cheek.

"Sam…I don't know where my head is at, but one thing I do know—" A knock at the door soon interrupted the pair.

Sami groaned as she moved from between Katelyn's legs. Katelyn reluctantly let go of Sami's hand to let her answer the door.

"Don't answer it, we're not here." Katelyn whispered, pushing a smirk from Sami.

Sami grabbed the handle, opening it her smirk quickly disappeared as the figure turned, their eyes locking instantly. Sami cleared her throat and moved to the side.

Katelyn leaned forward from her stool to see who it was, her stomach sinking as she watched Quinn approach her with a large duffel bag over her shoulder, her expression nothing but concern and sympathy.

"Quinn…what…"

Quinn dropped her bag, and before Katelyn could get another word out Quinn wrapped her arms around her, holding her tightly. Still in shock, Katelyn's eyes widened toward Sami leaning against the archway, her arms crossed. Eventually Quinn pulled away gently cupping Katelyn's face in her palms.

"Surprised?" She asked with a big smile.

After a few stutters, Katelyn swallowed hard. "Of course, I never expected to see you for a while."

"Well, after we talked yesterday, I booked my flight straight away, called work and told them I'm cashing in some of my vacation time…so here I am, until next Friday. I want to take care of you." She paused to hug her one more time. "You must be an absolute mess…but don't worry I'm here now."

Katelyn shifted her sights back to Sami, a deep disappointment showing that Katelyn hadn't seen from her.

"I've been getting taken care of, Quinn. You really didn't have to use your vacation time for me…" Katelyn insisted, squirming a little more on her stool.

Sami turned to the front door opening once more, her eyes falling on Gwen and Nicole. Their shocked expressions matching Katelyn's.

"Uh…what are you doing here?" Asked Nicole, before giving Sami a kiss on the cheek.

"I'm here for all of you…whatever you need." Stated Quinn, her nervous stature visible by all.

"That's terribly nice of you Quinn, thank you." Explained Gwen, before placing a kiss on Sami's cheek then Katelyn's.

"How did you even find out?" Asked Nicole, her lack of amusement, amusing Sami.

"Katelyn called me yesterday morning." She paused, to look back at Katelyn. "We spoke for most of it and I hated hearing her cry and not be there to comfort her, so I thought what better way to be here for her than to physically be here. She told me I had always been her safe place and she missed it so…here I am for a little over a week."

Sami swallowed hard as soon as she heard that Katelyn had reached out to Quinn. Quinn was her safe place? And I play fucking mind games?

"Your thirst for my sister is seriously off-putting. Jesus Christ." Spat Nicole her tone purposely distasteful.

"Nicole!" Snapped Katelyn.

Nicole shrugged. "You know where you stand with me Quinn, just don't forget that." She turned to Sami. "Where's Mick?"

Sami nodded toward the double doors. "Out on the porch."

"Well if you'd all excuse me I'm gonna go see how he's doing."

Sami cleared her throat. "All right, I'm gonna get going." Sami walked to Gwen, letting Gwen bring her in for a hug. Sami kissed the top of her head. "I won't be here tonight, I'm gonna chill with Zack. If you need me, just call."

Gwen lightly patted Sami's cheek before kissing it. "I will my Sami. Please drive safe."

"Take care Sami…thanks for taking care of these guys. You really are a great friend." Stated Quinn, her arm firmly hanging over Katelyn's shoulder.

Sami raised a suspicious brow before laughing and shaking her head, before briefly setting her sights on a nervous Katelyn.

"You're very welcome Quinn…y'all have fun." She looked at Gwen. "Will you tell Mick to give me a call later?"

Gwen nodded and with that Sami walked out leaving Katelyn there to watch her. She bit the inside of her cheek. Despising everything in that moment, it was a beautiful gesture from Quinn but not one she genuinely wanted. She hungered for Sami and now Quinn was visiting, she knew Sami was going to pull away, and they would have to endure more time separated. She was sick and tired of waiting, denying, and lying, not just to the others but herself.

"So, everything is ready for your father tomorrow…it will be open-casket in the morning. I really think you should go visit him before they close the casket my darling." Suggested Gwen, unravelling her scarf.

Katelyn shook her head. "I really don't think I can, mom…I can't see him like…that."

Quinn squeezed her, resting her chin on top of Katelyn's head. "I'll be right there with you, Katie."

She sighed. "I have the night to think on it."

"You'll regret it if you don't." Insisted Quinn.

"Quinn…please just let me think about it, okay?" She slowly got off the stool. "I'm going to go take a shower."

Chapter 42

Sitting in the back of the cab with Quinn, Katelyn looked out the window and shut her eyes, noticing the flashes of light illuminating the darkness from passing streetlights. Feeling her slow breaths move through her, she tried to push the dread for tomorrow away. It was going to be hard enough to watch her father's casket go into the ground, but to see his face… And know that would be the last time, pulled a pain from her chest that instantly numbed any other emotion except fear and sadness. She didn't feel like going to the bar to be with the others, seeing their faces, exchanging fond memories of her father. The only memory that stuck and replayed was their last time together in his SUV, his last words. A sudden squeeze on her knee took her out of her torturous revolving thoughts, and she rolled her head toward Quinn. Her soft smile forcing a slow acknowledging blink from Katelyn, she didn't feel like conversating.

Soon the cab stopped, Katelyn watched Quinn pay for it and get out to open the door for her. Taking the reached-out hand, Katelyn slowly moved out of the cab, her aches and pains still present, but not as bad as it was. Thanking the cab driver, Katelyn walked to the bar entrance, waiting while Quinn pulled the door open and Katelyn walked in. The stench of stale beer and roasted peanuts sickening her instantly. She pulled her Navy-blue shawl tighter across her shoulders before feeling Quinn's strong arm move around her.

Katelyn's eyes fell on the punctured face of her brother as his large grieving browns rested on her, an overwhelming sadness ripping her heart out. She took in a staggered breath just before Tara and Terri approached, hugging her and expressing their condolences. All she could muster were nods and forced appreciative smiles but, on the inside, she felt numb to their kind words, numb to it all except her own pain and suffering. She let Quinn usher her to Zack while he sat at the bar with Donna, Katelyn pressed a kiss against Donna's cheek before wrapping her arms around her little brother. He was taking their father's death harder than Nicole, knowing it wasn't because Nicole didn't care but she always held her emotions easier than herself and Zack. She knew behind closed doors Nicole would become shattered for only Billy to see. Although the younger twin, Nicole was always the more protective one, the strong one even when they were kids.

"Soph, can you get Katie a Gin and Tonic." Zack paused looking over at Quinn, "A beer for you?"

Quinn nodded. Zack finished their order and pulled out a stool for his sister.

"How're you feeling?" He asked, taking a sip from his whiskey.

"Ready for tomorrow to be over." Her attention taken from the piece of paper in front of Zack. "What's that?"

Zack sighed. "I'm still trying to work on dad's eulogy…struggling to be honest."

Katelyn rested a soft kiss on his cheek. "I'm sure it'll be perfectly fine.

Katelyn felt arms wrap around her from behind, and looking over her shoulder she smiled at Richard, and leaned into his warm hold.

"Hey, you." Said Katelyn, patting the hands that squeezed her.

"Hey…I'm glad you decided to come. I got a little worried there." He explained, breaking the hold and wrapping his arms over the shoulders of her and Zack.

"You can thank Quinn for that." Stated Katelyn as Sophie brought them their drinks.

Katelyn looked over her shoulder to the others sitting at a table and turned back to Sophie.

"No Erika and Sami?" She asked Sophie.

"Oh, they're in the back. You can go back there if you want to." Replied Sophie, handing Quinn her bottle of beer.

Katelyn nodded, shifting her sights to Quinn. "I'll be back."

"Want me to come with you?"

Katelyn arched a brow. "I think I'll be just fine, Quinn."

Katelyn helped Sophie lift the bar latch and disappeared down the dark hall. Her stomach flipping as the unwelcomed thought of possibly catching Sami and Quinn being a little closer than she'd like moved through her. She stopped and bit the inside of her cheek contemplating whether she could mentally deal with the image of Sami all over Erika. She slowly shut her eyes and took in a deep breath. If that's the case…that will help me be done…right?

Swallowing hard, she paused as her knuckles hovered by the door. Throwing her head back, she stared up at the ceiling to gather herself before finally knocking.

Almost instantly she heard Erika's voice telling her to come in. A relief washed over, and with that Katelyn forcefully pushed the stiff door open. She saw Erika at Micks desk and Sami at her own, mountains of paperwork scattered across each desk. Erika got up, instantly approaching to embrace her and Katelyn welcomed it. Her mood instantly lightening once she set eyes on Sami.

Erika held Katelyn's hands in her own and moved back before looking back at Sami.

"Okay, I'll leave you both to talk." Said Erika before squeezing Katelyn's hands reassuringly and kissing her on the cheek.

Katelyn clasped her hands together once Erika left them alone. She studied Sami sitting back in her chair, her darks seemingly unamused.

"Hey…" Katelyn trailed.

"You made it…some were mentioning you were in two minds about coming." Stated Sami, standing up and gathering some paperwork.

"Yeah, I'm just not in the mood for socializing…" She paused noticing Sami's demeanor expelling an irritation. "Are…are you mad at me?"

Sami turned to her and moving to the front of her desk she leaned up against it, crossing her ankles. Gripping the edges trying desperately to hold her tongue and remind herself of Katelyn's hurt. She took in a deep breath, and finally let herself look at her.

"Listen, tomorrow is going to be one of the hardest days of your life, so whatever issue I have right now…can wait."

Katelyn crossed her arms with an arched brow. "Is this because Quinn showed up? Jesus, Sam. I had no idea she was going to do that."

Sami pressed her teeth against her bottom lip. "No…it has nothing to do with that, Kate. Just drop it, this isn't the time." She replied, with a shrug.

Katelyn moved closer, shaking her head. "I think we both know I'm not going to do that, so you might as well just tell me what I could've possibly done."

Sami straightened up as Katelyn drew closer, to keep her mind straight she needed a distance between them.

"I don't want to fight with you, Katelyn." Sami replied sternly.

"It won't be a fight you tell me what I did and give me the opportunity to try and explain myself…you see that's how…this works."

Sami took in a deep breath, with a small nod. "Okay…well, I'm confused as to why you would tell me everything you did, but the day before that you're telling your ex-girlfriend that she's your safe place." Sami paused with narrowed eyes. "What is that?"

Katelyn rolled her eyes. "She took that completely out of context, Sam. She had mentioned that she'd always remembered being my safe place. I merely agreed with her, because at one point she was…she was my safe place from you. She has been my go-to for two years Sam, but…she's no longer that safe place because I simply don't need it anymore."

Sami swallowed to the softness behind Katelyn's voice. She brushed her fingers against her forehead, trying desperately to control her unruly ache for the woman in front of her.

"Listen, clearly Quinn is expecting more from you…and I'm not going to blind you from that or try to—"

"There we go." Katelyn interrupted. "I knew you'd do this, the minute she walked through that door."

"Do what?"

"Pull away from me."

Sami once again gripped the edge of her desk. "This isn't me pulling away, this is me bowing out. I won't pursue this with you while she is here, trying, and hoping to start things back up with you. It'll just sicken me, and I don't think I have it in me to keep my mouth shut and not react to it all."

Katelyn let out a frustrated laugh, crossing her arms once more. "Stop bowing out from me, Sam. I'm tired of doing this, I'm giving in to every fucking fear and." She paused with an eye roll and deep breath. "If this past week has showed me anything…it's that I've wasted too much time. I have to try and push away my fears and trust you with my heart because I can't simply get over it, get over you. No matter the distance, or who's showing me attention, it's not you and I'm tired of fighting, Sam."

Katelyn's soft whisper pulled a deep breath from Sami. Her ache to the fight throbbed against her chest and  without any warning Sami let go of any self-control she had and moved toward Katelyn, her darks dueling the startled browns, the sudden intensity behind them, pulling a breath from Katelyn as her heart skipped a beat.

Sami lightly traced the backs of her fingers down Katelyn's soft cheek her eyes falling to take in Katelyn velvety lips. Slowly she pressed her lips softly against Katelyn's, pulling away slightly to tease her, before pressing her lips harder into the kiss. Their tongue's lightly tracing one another's, all the hunger, want, craving and need finally escaping through Katelyn's soft moan.

Katelyn pressed her nails against the back of Sami's head as she felt Sami's teeth lightly trace the side of her neck, the euphoria of Sami's touch sent the cravings for her into a spiral. Sami brushed her fingers lightly down Katelyn's sides spreading them slowly as they reached her thighs, Sami intensified her touch as she clutched Katelyn's thighs hard and lifting her, she instantly felt Katelyn wrap her legs around her waist. Sami turned putting her on the desk, scattering whatever paperwork on the floor. Instantly being intoxicated as her soft exploring traces pulled a louder moan from Katelyn. Katelyn couldn't prevent her rocking hips as Sami's soft slow lips caressed her neck and collar bone pushing her to throw her head back as Sami's purposely soft breaths lightly traced her skin. The ache increasing with her frenzied breaths. Biting down on her lip hard, Katelyn grabbed Sami's cheeks, forcing her to face her… She wanted to witness the overpowering want in the darks while their rushed breaths traced one another. Resting her forehead against Sami's she lightly bit Sami's bottom lip, sucking on it as she felt Sami move effortlessly into her spreading thighs, their bodies trembling. Katelyn smiled against Sami's lips instantly becoming enthralled by the fiery groan that escaped Sami as Katelyn slowly rocked against her.

As the slowly spreading fingers of Sami traced the small of her back forcing it to arch, instantly she threw her head back once again, her eyes rolling back as electrifying chills moved through her entirety. Flattening her palms behind her on the desk, she bit her lip as Sami's tongue explored her neck, lightly caressing her hot soft skin. Both instantly paused as a soft knock on the door rang through their ears. Sami looked at Katelyn and quickly backing away she let Katelyn slide off the desk while feverishly running her fingers through her hair.

Sami cleared her throat. "Just a minute…"

She slicked her disheveled hair back, watching as Katelyn moved into her and lightly brushed her thumb across Sami's lips to wipe away the traces of lipstick, enjoying the sassy smirk and arched brow. She was used to Katelyn panicking and trying to act like nothing happened but her seductive brows radiated the want that matched hers and she knew right then Katelyn was right where she was, not caring who knew that they wanted each other.

Sami quickly began picking up the papers as Katelyn calmly took a seat behind Mick's desk. Rushing to put the straightened papers back on the desk Sami moved behind it, finally straightening her collar.

"Come in…"

Donna finally pushed the door open and walked in with Nicole following. Katelyn observed their suspicious expressions, instantly pulling a small smile from her while she sat legs crossed.

Sami finally sat down in her seat, still slightly out of breath. "What's up?"

Her consistent throat clearing forcing Katelyn to clamp her lips down and look at the floor as she tried her hardest to stop a laughter escaping.

"Did we interrupt something?" Asked Nicole, a slight amusement in her voice.

Sami shook her head, with yet another throat clear. "No, we were just talking."

"Uh-huh…you have a little…" She paused pointing to Sami's white collar. "Little bit of lipstick on there."

Quickly Sami swiped at the collar. Katelyn looked up, biting her lip. A pleased with herself brow arch forcing a small screech from Donna.

"I fucking knew it!" She blasted, through a laughter.

Katelyn waved her hands. "Okay, okay. Keep it down…yes you interrupted something. There I said it."

She looked at Sami, a small smirk now resting against her cheek.

"Well…party pooper Quinn was about to come back here until I railroaded that. Totally in love with this by the way." Explained Nicole, shifting her finger back and forth between Sami and Katelyn.

"What does Quinn want?" Sami asked, before sipping on her glass of whiskey.

Nicole shrugged. "Katelyn…of course. So, how's that gonna work? Are you going to just outright tell her about you and Sami?"

Katelyn looked over at Sami. "After the funeral tomorrow, I'm going to have to talk to her. It's none of her business who I'm with, she just needs to know where I stand when it comes to her and I."

"So, are you guys legitimately giving this a go?"

Katelyn nodded at Nicole. "We'd like to…I mean…" She looked at Sami. "Are we going to give this a try?"

Sami ran the backs of her fingers under her chin. "You know where I stand regarding you, but with your ex-girlfriend rooming up with you for the next few days, kinda doesn't sit too well. So, while she's here, we'll cool it off. I don't want it to be awkward for you when it comes to her staying with you. But I'll put my foot down and let you know…if she tries anything, I won't be able to prevent my actions." Sami finished.

Katelyn bit the inside of her cheek. "Don't worry, I have no problem telling her, no hooking up, no hidden agendas…just a friendship."

"I can tell her just to fuck off home now if it makes it easier?" Nicole offered, grabbing Sami's whiskey glass and downing it's remains.

Sami laughed, shaking her head. "Let Katelyn handle it, Nic." She moved her sights to Donna gently rubbing her stomach, instantly she stood up rolling the chair from behind the desk. "Here, sit down."

Donna waved her away. "I'm fine, stop worrying."

"When will you start showing?" Sami asked.

Donna shrugged. "Not long I'm sure. I made an appointment for next week, so I'll see how far along I am."

"Are you still planning to tell Zack on Sunday?" Katelyn asked.

"I want to, it would've been a great birthday present, but he told me he doesn't want anything for his birthday or do anything for it either."

"I think you should still surprise him." Added Nicole softly.

"I don't know, he'll have buried his father literally days beforehand…he's taking it so hard I don't even think he'll take the news that great…" Donna explained.

Sami clenched her jaw, leaning against the edge of her desk. "Donna, he'll be ecstatic…"

Katelyn stood up, straightening herself before grabbing her navy shawl and wrapping it over her shoulders. "Sami's right Don…let's get back out there and get you some water."

Donna laughed. "Oh, it's been hilarious watching Nicole and Erika down my drinks all incognito like."

Nicole grimaced. "I think collectively we've both vomited twice." She joked pulling a laughter from Sami.

"I'll start pouring your drinks, they'll be none the wiser." She turned grabbing some papers. "All right go back out there I'll be out soon."

To Nicole, Donna and even Sami's surprise they watched Katelyn move to Sami and without saying a word, she let her fingers rest against Sami's cheek. Her peaceful browns smiling into the darks before slowly pressing a soft kiss against Sami's lips. Sami held the soft kiss, her hands effortlessly moving to Katelyn's hips and spreading her fingers to pull Katelyn in closer. Katelyn smiled against the kiss before gradually pulling away, deliberately letting her seductive browns lock in the now pleading for more darks.

"Y'all need to get a room." Interrupted Nicole.

Sami laughed before resting her eyes back on Katelyn. "That's all you're getting while Quinn's around, Jensen." Stated Sami, with a slight smirk.

Katelyn narrowed her eyes. "I'll take care of it. See you out there."

Chapter 43

"Before we get ready, can we talk?" Sami asked, sitting on the edge of Zack and Donna's couch, white knuckle gripping her coffee.

Zack looked over at her running his hands through his wet hair. "Of course."

"I know this probably isn't the best time to bring it up and I wanna say I'm sorry, but I don't want you to think I'm keeping anything from you…you're my best friend and I just need you to know…" She swallowed hard. "I've never been great with timing thin—"

Zack raised his hand. "Is this about Katelyn?"

Sami cleared her throat and nodded. "Last night—"

Zack's sudden laughter interrupted her. "I think everybody, but Quinn figured y'all sorted your shit out when Katelyn came out with a huge smile on her face."

"And you're okay with it?" Sami questioned, a little taken aback by his elated smile.

"Of course, I am Sam. I couldn't be happier for the both of you and it's about damn time. Honestly your timing has never been great, ever…but this? You timed this perfectly, I needed to hear that today."

Sami took in a sigh of relief. "Just know Zack, I'm not gonna hurt her."

He shook his head. "Sami, I already know that…I'm your best friend remember? Come on, let's go get ready and give my dad the farewell he deserves."

Sami nodded and for the first time did exactly what Zack asked.

Katelyn took in a deep breath urgently trying to calm her thunderous heart. Running her trembling palms down her curve hugging black dress she gave herself a final nod of approval in the mirror and made her way out into her living room. Quinn smiled softly along with Richard and Sophie as they stood up.

"Ready to go?" Richard asked, approaching her and giving a supportive hug.

Katelyn nodded, already swallowing back her tears as she let Quinn help her put on her black peacoat and grabbing her handbag she walked out of the apartment with the others. Eventually making it to Richard's Lexus, she got in the front, letting Quinn shut the door for her.

She drew blank during the car ride, all that consumed her was her father, nothing else. She'd finally decided that seeing him in his casket, was something she should do. Her mother promised to be right by her side for that final goodbye. She just wanted to make sure she was one of the last people to visit him before finally closing it, because standing around and waiting is just something she didn't want to face. She wanted in and out…she wanted to lay her father into the ground and finally be at peace and start working on moving forward with him always in her heart and head. She despised funerals and this one she always knew she'd dread the most.

Richard put the SUV in park, just as he grabbed Katelyn's hand, she looked over at him, his sympathetic blues smiling ever so slightly at her before placing a soft kiss on her hand.

"Let's go, shall we?"

Katelyn sighed and looking out the window she sent a small nod. Walking into the funeral home, she was taken aback by the crowded lobby. Many of East Pines socialites but some faces of the West Pines locals she recognized too. She kept her eyes down as Quinn and Richard moved through the crowd, Katelyn clutched tightly against Sophie's arm fearing she would lose her to what seemed like the masses. Eventually they made it through the stain glass double doors, it was quieter, a few sniffles here and there. Slowly Katelyn looked up, her eyes fell on the royal blue and white flower bouquets that huddled around her father's silver casket. Her breaths deepened as doubt crept it. Had she made the right decision in going to see his open casket? Is it something she genuinely could handle? Her racing thoughts were interrupted by a gentle tug on her arm. She looked to see her mother standing, in a black dress with a black hat and veil covering her tear-soaked face.

Excusing herself from the other's she held onto her mother's arm as they slowly made their way up to the silver casket that held the man she'd always looked up to, loved more than herself. Soon they reached the front where he was… Katelyn rested her trembling hand on the edge and as she moved closer her heart shredded into a million pieces once her eyes set on her sleeping father. His face flawless, just as it was before the accident, his beard perfectly trimmed just how he liked it. His thick white hair combed over to the side like he'd done it himself, her tears finally fell. She felt her mother's gentle back rub and straightaway turned to her, holding her as tight as she could while the two of them wept.

Billy rested his hands on their back whispering that he'd take them to their seats. Katelyn turned and looking at Nicole and Zack, she sat between them grabbing their hands and resting them on her lap.

She took in a deep breath when the time came for Zack to do his eulogy. Gently she kissed him on the cheek urging him to honor their father.

She watched intently as Zack's trembling hands struggled to unfold his papers. He cleared his throat a few times, noting his refusal to look at the faces staring at him. Katelyn looked behind her, noticing Erika, Sami and her parents in the row behind her, their eyes firmly staying forward on Zack.

"I…uh…I want to thank you all for coming…today to…" He paused, clearing his throat. "Say goodbye to…my dad. I'm going to keep this pretty short because honestly you all knew him in your own way, and he gave a part of himself to each and every one of us in his own way. We all know my dad and I didn't have the greatest relationship until the last couple of years…but honestly, he got to see the man I grew into and I got to see the man he grew into. He did his best when it came to his kids and boy did we give him a hell of a way to go…but with the help from our mom, he did all right." He looked at Gwen with a small smile. "Anyone who knew him knew that everything he did, he did it for his family, always. I had the best role model and who I aspire to be for my future wife, and my future kids. I think I'll end this by something my sister Katelyn has said to us all and it'll always resonate with me…he taught us everything we know, except how to be without him. I thank you, along with the rest of my family for coming out today to celebrate his life."

Katelyn stood up, and as he walked to her so she could bring him into her embrace he finally let his silent sobs unleash against her.

***

Finally, Katelyn pulled off her heels as she sat in her childhood bedroom and slipped her feet into much more comfortable slippers and went downstairs to greet some more of their guests. She was relieved it was all over, especially after the graveside. Her mother had become so inconsolable as they lowered his casket into the ground, it took Ron and Sami to keep her from collapsing to the ground as the utter pain of losing the love of her life had finally taken over and she had no choice but to let herself feel it, just like her kids had done since it happened.

Katelyn nodded and smiled to the sympathetic words and gestures as she made her way into the kitchen to join her friends and siblings as they sat around the breakfast bar, and on the counters enjoying each other's company while her mother, Uncle Mick and their estranged sister Nancy conversated with mostly her father's friends.

Nicole handed Katelyn a whiskey. "Drink up, sister."

Along with Nicole, she did as she was ordered and knocked back the glass of whiskey, then let the burn ride itself out, coughing slightly before taking a stool next to Richard.

"Has anyone seen Quinn?" Katelyn questioned while Billy filled her glass once more.

"She's having a good time with Nadine it seems…" Zack trailed, staring out the window over the sink and onto the porch.

"Oh, Jesus…if they hit it off..." Replied Nicole, knocking back her third whiskey.

"I don't know how I'd feel about that honestly." Added Katelyn firing a small smirk toward Sami sitting on the counter.

Sami smirked. "Whatever makes them happy."

"So, a little birdy told me y'all wised up." Stated Tara, smiling behind her glass of red.

Katelyn rushed a finger to her lips. "Shhh, we're not gonna talk about that while Quinn's in town."

"Don't want her having another temper tantrum?" Questioned Billy.

Sami smirked. "Just don't want the drama of it all Bill."

"Here, here." Cheered Tara.

"Well, Sami. You cock blocked me once again, but all jokes aside, I'm happy for you." Said Terri, raising her beer bottle.

Sami laughed lightly then nodded raising her whiskey glass in the air. "This will be the last time Terri you have my word."

"I hope so." Replied Katelyn, her eye roll pushing a laughter from everyone.

"So, what are the plans for the twin's birthday? Are we having a party at the Blackbeard or Sami's cabin?" Asked Billy.

Sami cocked a brow. "Are y'all gonna clean up after yourselves?"

"I'm going to give the birthday bash a miss…throw one for Nicole but I'm just not in the mood for all of that." Stated Zack, downing his fifth glass of whiskey.

"What if we just do something small at the cabin Zack? Just who's here now, nothing huge." Suggested Donna.

He shook his head. "Jesus Donna I said no!" He snapped.

Sami jumped off the counter; her darks aiming in on Zack. "Hey…don't snap at her like that. I get it you're upset but she is the one person you don't snap at."

Katelyn stood up to stand in front of Sami, purposely blocking her view of Zack. She pressed her palm softly against her chest forcing the darks to pay attention to her. "Sam, relax." She whispered.

Sami clenched her jaw with an eye roll. "He just needs to watch his mouth, Kate." She said quietly.

Katelyn turned to Zack getting up and shoving his stool into the breakfast bar before storming out of the house. She felt Sami push against her palm, instantly forcing a stern arched brow from her. "Let him go, Sam."

Donna shook her head. "I love the hell out of your brother, and I'll give him a little more time, but if this keeps up…I will call off the wedding you guys."

"If this keeps up, I'll beat his ass." Stated Billy leaning up against the counter.

Katelyn could feel Sami's heart throbbing against her palm, she knew she wanted to beat Zack's ass, but it wouldn't have helped the situation. Tilting her head to catch the darks she smiled softly. Slowly she moved her lips to Sami's ear, intentionally letting her soft breaths trace it. "Calm yourself my love." She whispered slowly.

Sami's tortured eyeroll forced a laughter from her.

"Killing me, Jensen."

Katelyn smiled, winking. "I know."

"What time do we have to meet the fine Mr. Charles Wilshire on Monday?" Asked Nicole, leaning back at Billy massaged her shoulders.

"He wants us at the firm at nine-thirty." Replied Katelyn.

"Okay, that's fine, I don't have appointments until the afternoon."

"Who's Charles Wilshire?" Asked Billy, mocking the name.

"Our family attorney, he's going to go over our dad's will and testament." Replied Nicole, downing the rest of her whiskey.

"Oh…sorry babe."

Katelyn sat back down next to Richard just as Quinn and Nadine finally came back inside, still locked in a conversation only they found interesting.

"Y'all having fun?" Nicole asked, her narrowed eyes letting them know instantly of her dislike for them.

Quinn cleared her throat. "Yeah, we just found out that I actually work with her brother-in-law."

Katelyn turned around in her seat. "Oh yeah? Who?

"Clarke Thompson." Replied Quinn.

"Clarke's a really great guy, his wife Cynthia is you sister?"

Nadine nodded, swallowing her wine. "You know her?"

"Of course, her and I used to have so much fun together on our pub crawls. When you speak to her please tell her I said hello." Insisted Katelyn.

"I will."

Sami watched Nadine tuck some hair behind her ear, clearly uncomfortable with talking to Katelyn. She couldn't help but push a smirk as she studied her ex… Unsure exactly the title she should use but watching her lean subtly into Quinn amused her. They'd clearly hit it off enough for Nadine to show her small affections. Sami could read her like a book, like most of the women before and Nadine was no different.

"What a small world." Sami added, before finishing off her whiskey.

"When Sami and I were dating, we were actually going to go visit them at some point." Stated Nadine, an unamused brow arch aiming at Sami.

Sami smirked. "If dating is what you want to call it, sure."

Nadine crossed her arms. "What would you have called it?"

Sami shrugged. "I think we agreed it wouldn't have a title?"

Katelyn grabbed her wine bottle and poured herself a generous amount as she listened to the past lovers getting sharp with one another.

"Oh, Sami…as brave as you are, so afraid of commitment…sad really."

"Girl, I know you aren't striking up an attitude with her, here right?" Interrupted Nicole.

"It's all good, Nic." Said Sami before looking over at a seemingly scorned Nadine. "I have no fear of commitment at all…not for the right woman."

Katelyn watched her daring darks remain locked onto Nadine irate browns, her heart jumping into her throat the minute she knew Sami was talking about her. She took another large sip of wine before clearing the awkwardness from her throat, appreciating the supportive squeeze on her knee, under the breakfast bar from Richard.

"There'll never be a woman who'll be good enough Sam…always expecting the grass to be greener. That's your problem." Snapped Nadine.

Sami shook her head. "That's your opinion…wanna drop this now? It isn't the place and you've had many opportunities to bring this up with me before now."

She watched Nadine lightly grip Quinn's forearm. "You know me, I have a very hard time biting my tongue and well, actually talking to a woman with her priorities right and just a genuinely nice person puts into perspective how much of an asshole you are."

Katelyn instantly stood up, unable to listen to another word. It had taken everything out of her not to shut Nadine down and let her know exactly who Sami was talking about, but she was done listening to her berate the woman she loved in front of all of her friends especially.

"Okay, Nadine…this isn't the place to be having your little Sami tantrum. And by all means if you feel like you can't be cordial to her, then you can leave." Katelyn snapped, her voice trembling slightly as her anger grew.

"I thought you of all people would actually back me up here…still blinded by her huh?" Nadine asked, her suspicious brows pulling a laughter from Katelyn.

"Okay, you can leave now, Nadine. Thank you for coming to pay your respects to my father."

Katelyn watched Quinn gently reach behind Nadine and whisper something in her ear, which pushed a small nod from her and just like that, saying nothing she walked out. Quinn began following, stopping at Katelyn and whispering that she was going to walk her out. She couldn't help the arched brow that followed Quinn through the congregated mourners and out the front door.

"You have no clue how close I was to just out the both of y'all, so they'd both fuck off for good." Stated Nicole.

Katelyn stood up, moving to the counter next to Sami to grab another bottle of wine. "I thank God you didn't. Today's already reached my limit."

She paused reaching for the bottle to Sami gently grabbing her hand and looking up at the relaxed darks, she bit her lip as Sami raised her hand to her lips, kissing it softly. The sooner Quinn went home the better in Katelyn's opinion, she didn't know how much longer she'd be able to control her urges and not go to the cabin in the middle of the night and finally show Sami exactly how she makes her feel.

Chapter 44

"Morning, I prepped some coffee and got you a bagel." Stated Quinn, sitting on the couch reading the newspaper.

Katelyn smiled as she walked into the kitchen and tucking her button-down shirt into her flared at the bottom black dress pants, she poured her coffee.

"Thank you, I'll eat the bagel when I get home."

Leaning her back against the counter and tucking her cup to her chest she checked her phone, opening a text from Sami.

"Good morning…"

She smiled biting down on her lip. Just as she was typing back Quinn interrupted her.

"What's got you smiling like that?" She questioned, as she moved to rinse her plate.

"Oh, just Richard…" She lied.

She caught Quinn's suspicious brows and locking her phone she put it in her pocket.

"I should be home a little after noon, if you want to grab some lunch?"

Putting her plate on the rack next to the sink she shook her head.

"Yeah sure, I should be done by then."

"Done with what?" Asked Katelyn before sipping her coffee.

"Nadine asked if we could go out for some coffee this morning." Stated Quinn, clearing her throat.

"You and Nadine really seem to have hit it off…" Katelyn trailed, moving out of the way to let Quinn pour another coffee.

She smirked. "Jealous?"

Katelyn laughed. "Not at all Quinn…I'm just not a fan of the woman, but if you like her then by all means."

Quinn leaned up against the counter her doubtful grin rubbing Katelyn the wrong way instantly. "Are we sure?"

Katelyn looked at Quinn, making sure to show her seriousness. "Quinn…I promise you, I'm not jealous. I just want you to be careful with this one, okay?"

Quinn shrugged. "Katelyn I'm a big girl, I'll be fine it's just coffee."

"You forget I know you, Quinn." Countered Katelyn, checking her watch.

Quinn laughed moving back into the living room and taking a seat back on the couch. Katelyn rolled her eyes and pouring the rest of her coffee in the sink she put her black peacoat on, then gently swung her bag over her shoulder.

"Okay, be good."

***

Katelyn pulled into the underground parking lot and pulled into the spot next to her fathers, sighing at the name plate on the wall. 'Managing Partner Arthur Jensen.' Sighing heavily, she got out and clicked the fob to lock her car. She swallowed the ache in her heart remembering her father had been gone an exact week and she hadn't stepped foot near the firm since. Grabbing the elevator, she waited patiently for its doors to take her to the lobby. Walking out she was instantly met by her father's associates going about their day, many clients passing through, not a care in the world. Keeping her eyes on the polished floor she moved to the glass elevator to take her up to the fifth floor.

Clutching her bag tightly she finally moved off the elevator, instantly being greeted by her father's attorney Charles. Bringing her into a hug he led her into the conference room, she was the last to arrive as Sami, Donna, Mick, Gwen, Nicole and Zack took their seats. Walking past their seats, squeezing their shoulders she stopped at her mother and give her a soft kiss on the cheek before finally taking the seat next to her.

Charles moved to the front of the table, opening his briefcase he began pulling out an array of paperwork and some envelopes, separating them. Katelyn quickly glanced across the table to Sami, smiling softly as Sami sent a warm wink her way.

"Okay, so we have a lot to get through." He looked over his glasses at Gwen. "Most of it with you but we'll get through his requests and then you and I will discuss his plans for you."

Katelyn reached over gripping her mother's cold hand, before turning back to Charles as he began reading.

"Okay, so this request is for you Mick…it reads that he is giving "The Corporal" to you."

Mick shook his head. "He knew I loved that damn boat."

Gwen smiled, nodding for Charles to continue.

"Okay, Sami…I have an envelope here for you. He has written here… 'Sami please read this and know I mean it word for word. Thank you for everything.' Okay so…." Walking around the table he handed the envelope to Sami before moving back. "He also handed down his ownership of two side-by-side empty lots on the West Side…on uh… Cedar Pike. He says the two empty lots have already been granted planning permission for a skate park. So, I have all of that paperwork right here for you to be signed."

Katelyn clamped her eyes shut as tears instantly formed and fell down her cheeks. Now she felt her mother squeeze her hand gently, looking over her shoulder at her mother she could see her tears matched her own. The two of them looked across the table at Sami, her head down… Katelyn knew what that meant to her. It was all she ever wanted… A real place for the kids with nothing to do, go be somewhere in peace and stay out of trouble without being hassled by the locals or the local police department because the snobs had nothing better to do.

"Okay, Donna…he actually added this with me the Sunday night before…the accident. I have it here in an envelope for you. I was under strict instructions not to discuss it he mentions here it's up to you when you'll want to reveal its contents." Giving the envelope to Donna he looked over at Nicole. "Okay, Nicole and for you, there is a deed here for a two-story business property here in East Pines with a check for two hundred and fifty thousand dollars."

"I'm sorry what did you just say?" Nicole asked, her jaw hitting the floor.

"I have the deed and keys here for the property."

Nicole dug her face into Zack's chest as the realization of what her father did for her finally took effect. He always begged her to let him buy her, her very own salon and she always refused, this time there was no way she could refuse him. Katelyn knew the exact property; he'd taken her to go visit it as soon as she came back. He wanted to give it to Nicole for her birthday and she would've received the keys yesterday but unfortunately he wouldn't be there for that and neither of the twins ended up celebrating their birthday which hurt Katelyn, but she understood.

Charles looked to Zack as he held his sister. "Okay Zack and for you…you now own the other half of the Blackbeard bar on the West Side, and there's a check here for another two hundred and fifty thousand dollars…and finally the title to his Aston Martin with a note attached, insisting I share it with the others…it reads 'Please don't hit any parked cars with this one, son.'

Everyone let out a giggle, even Zack himself as tears settled into his untrimmed beard.

With a smile Charles looked toward Katelyn. "Okay Katelyn and for you my dear…your father has written in here that upon the result of his death whenever that may be he requests that you hereby become the sole owner and managing partner for Jensen & Associates, and insists you keep me as your attorney." He paused laughing lightly. "There is also a check here for two hundred and fifty thousand dollars."

Katelyn rushed her hands to her face as her tears flowed more so. She always knew he wanted her to have the firm but for it to actually be happening now and that this be the circumstance and not his retirement, broke her heart more so.

"Okay and for the lovely Gwen…of course your home is yours, the lakes house is now fully yours but he also has a deed here which states that, if resulting in his death and he had yet to surprise you with it, the deed was to be handed to you with a note saying 'My love… Always.' He looked up at her. "The deed is for the small beach house where you spent your honeymoon, in Siesta Key."

Katelyn turned to her mother's sobs and held her tightly as Zack and Nicole joined her. They stood holding their mother as her pained cries echoed through their ears. Sami clenched her jaw, not being able to even fathom the turmoil the always gentle and kind woman was feeling at that time.

Charles waited a moment before interrupting. "There is some more financial things to go over Gwen and I do apologize…he just wants you to be aware of all of his fortune as it's automatically now turned over to you but we can go over that at a later date if it's too overwhelming as of right now."

Exiting the conference room to give them all a minute before Charles and Gwen discussed further on the financial aspects of his will for her, Katelyn grabbed a tissue from the center of the table and carefully dabbed under her lids making sure to not smear her eyeliner. Suddenly she felt arms wrap around her and instantly she knew it was Sami. She closed her eyes and leaned into the soft kiss against her cheek. Opening them she was met by her mother's elated smile as she watched Sami hold her.

"Please tell me you have both come to your senses?" Gwen asked, her trembling hand's pressing against her cheeks.

Katelyn bit her lip smiling before a small excited screech escaped from Gwen. Jumping up she hugged them both, kissing Sami over and over on the cheek, pushing a laughter from the others. Finally, Gwen pulled away holding Sami's cheeks between her palms.

"I can't tell you both how much this makes me happy and I know from the bottom of my heart Arthur would've wanted this more than anyone."

Sami smiled before bringing Gwen into an embrace and held her right there for a moment.

"I'll take good care of her." Sami whispered.

"Oh, I know you will, my Sami." Stated Gwen before looking to Katelyn. "Does Quinn need to stay at my house?"

Gwen's sudden serious expression pulled a laughter from both Katelyn and Sami. Katelyn shook her head. "We're kinda just waiting for her to go home and then we can be a lot more open…and just—"

"Do not finish that sentence, ya nasty." Interrupted Nicole.

"Oh my God Nicole I wasn't even talking about that!"

Chapter 45

Sami rolled her tattoo chair out from under her and got up to stretch. Her third client of the day done. The parlor was filled with the sounds of the radio, and tattoo machine's buzzing effortlessly. The aroma of coffee and disinfectant oddly soothing her. While their newly appointed apprentice cleaned up her station Sami leaned on Erika's cubicle silently watching her tattoo a portrait of her client's late grandmother on her arm. The black and grey was flawless as usual. Sami turned to Billy's cubicle as he finished up his last appointment of the day. The Japanese sleeve blowing her mind, it was his specialty, and she was okay to hand any Japanese pieces to him knowing he would kill it every time. She looked at her watch, seeing it was nearing lunchtime she shifted her sights to Zack's empty cubicle. He hadn't been near the parlor since Arthur's accident and she understood fully, she was just hoping that he'd soon begin working his way back into the routine of life. She wasn't going to push it as of yet, deciding to give him a little more time.

Billy stood to admire the finished sleeve and Sami joined him. "Fucking beautiful." She stated, while he wrapped.

"Hey, I'll be back a little later, I'm gonna take Nicole out for some lunch and she wants me to take her to look at the new place to take measurements. Is that okay?" Asked Billy.

Sami nodded. "Sure, if you're free for the rest of the afternoon, go for it."

He patted her on the back before leaving. Erika slid her chair back expelling a loud sigh of relief.

"Okay, gorgeous we are officially done." Explained Erika.

Sami watched the client get up and move to the mirror, her elation written all over her face. Sami sent a staring Erika a wink.

"Okay let's get this taken care of and get you out of here."

"Hey Sami."

Sami turned to the parlors apprentice. "What's up Joe?"

"Is it cool if I go grab some lunch?"

"Yeah, for sure. Have you got your first piece sketched up for tomorrow?" She asked sitting back down on her tattoo chair.

"Yeah, I'll show you when I get back."

"Sounds good, enjoy your lunch." Stated Sami, just as Katelyn and Quinn walked through the door.

"What are y'all doing here?" Sami asked, resting her phone on her lap.

"Well…I want some ink Miss. Wilson. Are you free?" Asked Katelyn with a small smirk.

Sami grinned. "Absolutely…what's the piece?"

"Just a small quote on the outside of my forearm, running toward my wrist…I was hoping you could come up with the font for me?"

Sami nodded. "Okay, what's the quote?"

"Never say never then three dots trailing from it." Explained Katelyn, scrunching her nose.

Sami smiled, nodding and loving the idea. "All right…take a seat and give me a few minutes to measure your arm and get it drawn up." Stated Sami patting the ink-bed for Katelyn to jump up on.

"Um, how long is this going to take?" Asked Quinn, her impatient tone evident to everyone.

Sami shrugged. "Not lo—"

"Enough time for you to take me to lunch." Erika interrupted, and grabbing her bag she linked Quinn's arm. "You better take me somewhere nice, I'm a classy lady and terribly hungry."

Katelyn laughed as Erika pulled Quinn to the front door before turning and sending a sly smile toward her and Sami. Sami laughed shaking her head as the door shut behind them. Katelyn studied Sami sketching her desired piece.

"I'm thinking old typewriter font?" Suggested Sami, tilting her head to the paper.

"I really like the sound of that…" Katelyn trailed.

A few minutes past and Sami walked to her. "What do you think?"

Katelyn studied the simple quote, her heart filling. It was simplistic and just perfect, without saying a word she nodded. She watched Sami prep her station, taking her all in and realizing she was all hers. He heart skipped a beat, they hadn't had the chance to be alone in so long, she ached for it and made sure to take in every moment of Sami right then.

Carefully placing the carbon transfer on the outside of Katelyn's forearm she urged her to check it out in the mirror before getting to work. Katelyn did so and gave it her final nod of approval before resting her arm on the little arm rest provided by Sami.

"Okay, it's gonna sting a little but I promise you'll get used to it. You ready?"

Katelyn laid her head back on the ink-bed and nodded slightly before licking her dry lips and closing her eyes. The sounds of the machine buzzing causing a sudden jump from her but Sami's soft grip calming her again. Suddenly she felt a slight annoying nip hit her skin, her heart instantly began beating faster, she was nervous of course but she knew this was something she had to have. After a few minutes and to her surprise, Sami was right she did numb to it, barely feeling it at all, and indeed thankful for Sami's delicate touches. Just as she relaxed more, the sound of the machine stopped, and she raised her head to Sami's head tilting as she studied her work.

"Wait, you're done?" She asked surprised.

Sami laughed. "Yes ma'am. Wanna take a look?"

"Jesus, it literally took you twenty minutes!"

Her surprise pushing another laughter from Sami as she got up offering her hand to help Katelyn off the ink-bed.

"I've been doing this a long time…come take a look."

Katelyn took the hand offered to her and slid off the ink-bed to let Sami lead her to the mirror. Raising her arm, she let her eyes rest on her father's favorite quote. She bit her lip as tears balanced against her lashes.

"Do you like it?" Sami asked quietly.

Katelyn turned to her, as a tear finally fell, she nodded before looking back in the mirror.

"Thank you so much, Sam…it's just perfect."

Sami decided to walk away to give her a minute while she admired her new tattoo. Taking a seat on her tattoo chair, she leaned her elbows on her knees and looking over at Katelyn, she just watched intently.

Katelyn looked over to a staring Sami smiling. She moved over to her, and slowly straddled her. The suggestive smirk on Sami's face instantly arousing her, and slowly Katelyn pressed her lips on Sami's, instantly feeling her body pulse against the body she hungered for. Letting their fingers intertwine, Katelyn pulled them behind her back to finally feel Sami's slowly spreading fingers softly trace the small of her back as their kiss deepened. Their soft mixed moans intoxicating each other equally, both giving in to the demands their impulses and desires put on them. All Katelyn wanted was to feel Sami's hot skin on hers and soon she felt Sami's slow exploring fingers undoing the buttons on her shirt and as much as she wanted to give in to all of her senses she knew she had to stop it. Grabbing Sami's hands in her fists she broke their kiss to rest her forehead against Sami's. Her rushed breaths matching Sami's as a small groan escaped Sami.

"You're fucking killing me, Kate."

Katelyn bite her lip smiling, still resting her forehead against Sami's.

"Trust I'm killing me, but I sure don't want our first time being in your tattoo parlor, and anybody can walk in right now." She replied, still breathless.

"I can lock that door real quick…." Replied the now trembling voice of Sami as Katelyn lightly rocked against her.

Katelyn slowly traced her lips to Sami's ear, gently clamping them on the bottom of her ear and sucking lightly. "No, you'll just have to practice some more self-control." She whispered.

"I think it's you who needs to practice more…" Sami trailed, swallowing hard to Katelyn's soft travelling kisses.

Just as dimmed voices drawing closer could be heard, Katelyn jumped off Sami running her fingers through her hair with a throat clear. And as the door swung open, a flushed Katelyn smiled toward Erika and Quinn. She looked over at Sami briefly, her darks stuck on her, the hunger from them almost weakening Katelyn's knees.

"Done?" Quinn asked, approaching.

Katelyn nodded, showing off her ink. Her eyes shifting to an amused looking Erika.

"Did you just get done?" She asked, handing a coffee to Sami.

"Barely got started." Sami mumbled, enough for Katelyn and Erika to catch.

Katelyn bit the inside of her cheek. "And on that note, we should probably get going…Quinn leaves tomorrow and she wants to get some things in town to take back for her parents. I'll catch you guys later."

Chapter 46

Katelyn slid into the booth of the small quaint café resting her bag and coat next to her while Quinn sat opposite, raising her hand for the waitress to bring them some menu's and coffee's. They decided to have an early lunch together before Quinn drove to the airport to catch her flight.

"I love this quaint little place." Explained Quinn, pressing her elbows on the table and resting her hands together.

Katelyn smiled, resting her cell phone on the table. "Me too, and it's been the same way my whole life."

Katelyn sat back just as the waitress brought them their coffees and menu's. Grabbing the sweetener packets next to her and slapping them gently she ripped them open to pour into her coffee.

"Thank you for visiting, Quinn."

"Of course, and thank you for having me." She replied before pouring some creamer into Katelyn's coffee.

"I'm glad that after everything we could still have a friendship."

Quinn nodded. "Yeah…I don't want to not have you in my life, but I have to ask because it's the only way for me to move forward."

"Okay…." Katelyn trailed, shifting in her seat as sudden nerves struck her.

"Regarding us…will it ever happen again? Or is it genuinely done?"

Katelyn sighed. "I'm sorry but…for me it's genuinely done."

Quinn cleared her throat. "Is it Sami?"

"Is what Sami?"

"Is she the reason you've taken us completely off the table?" Questioned Quinn.

"No Quinn…"

"Katelyn, don't lie to me."

Katelyn watched that familiar darkness suddenly appear in Quinn's eyes the exact same darkness that crept in the night Quinn put her hands on her. Katelyn cleared the sudden fear from her throat.

"I'm not lying Quinn…Sami and I are history, okay?" She knew she shouldn't have lied but right in that moment Quinn was scaring her and she just wanted her gone. A little white lie wasn't going to do anyone any harm… A couple more hours and Quinn would be on a flight back to Boston and then she'd never have to worry about the turmoil her relationship with Sami would cause.

"Anyone else I can deal with but her…I can't stand her and to put it frankly she's just not good enough, she wouldn't be good for you Katie, you know that right?"

Katelyn arched her brow slightly scorned. Okay, that's enough, Quinn. Can you drop it now please?"

"Sure, but I'll never stop reminding you of your worth…anyway I was thinking about coming back for a visit in June."

Katelyn took in a deep breath. "I really can't say if I'll have time for a visit Quinn, I've just become a managing partner. I literally own an entire firm I really have no idea how much free time I'm going to have now."

Katelyn smiled to the approaching waitress to order the breakfast special along with Quinn.

"Well, you see…it's more to visit Nadine…" Replied Quinn, grabbing her coffee and taking another sip.

Katelyn drew her brows together. "Wait…what?"

"Yeah, she seems like a really nice girl. We have a lot in common…"

"You literally just asked me if we were through completely and you're now going to pursue another woman?"

Quinn shrugged. "I wanted to make sure that if I decided to give it a go with her, there would never be a what if with you."

Katelyn rolled her eyes. "Really Quinn? Sami's ex of all people?"

"Another one? Imagine that." Quinn replied, laughing.

Katelyn remained straight faced. "That's not funny Quinn."

"Oh, come on…it's the truth though. Any woman I'd meet at the Pines would be that woman's ex."

"Enough." Katelyn snapped.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Victim? Is that better?"

"Okay, I said enough."

"Getting a little defensive, huh?" Quinn questioned, her sly amusement grinding on Katelyn's last nerve.

"She's a close friend, Quinn. I'm not going to sit here and listen to you talk badly about her, and honestly if this friendship is going to have any standing, I need you to respect Sami."

"I'm sorry, I tried my hardest this visit to like her…I just can't do that." Replied Quinn, shaking her head.

"Then this won't work." Said Katelyn sharply.

Quinn threw her hands up. "Okay, forget me visiting, I'll have Nadine come to me so then you'll never have to see me again."

As Quinn's slammed hands hit the table, Katelyn looked to the staring faces of the others in the small café before dropping her stare.

"I think it's best if you just leave now." She said calmly, but under the table her hands began shaking, on the inside she truly feared Quinn again, but she did all she could to not let her see that.

"I can't believe you're actually choosing that low-life's friendship over mine. I've always been there for you, especially when it came to her." Spat Quinn, slamming her finger repeatedly against the table, shaking it slightly.

"Everything good here, Katelyn?" Asked Terri.

A relieved Katelyn nodded. "She was just leaving, thank you Terri."

Quinn spat a mirthless laughter before sliding from the booth to stand up and face Terri. She was much taller than the slim stature of Terri, but she watched Terri hold her nose to Quinn's.

"Try me, Quinn and I won't hesitate to lock your ass up." Stated Terri.

Quinn let a sly grin appear then looked down at Katelyn who remained seated.

"Have a good life Katelyn…I won't forget you."

Bending down Quinn tried to kiss the top of her head and instantly Katelyn pulled from her, now forcing her eyes to dare Quinn's greens.

"Don't come near me ever again." Katelyn said sternly.

And just like that Quinn grabbed her duffel bag, and throwing it over her shoulder she dug her hand into her pocket, still keeping her sly grin on Terri she threw money at Katelyn for the coffees before finally pushing the café door open and leaving. Katelyn watched out the window as Quinn slammed the door of her rental, before eventually spinning her wheels and speeding off.

Terri slid in the both seat opposite Katelyn, reaching for the trembling hands.

"It's okay Katie, she's gone now. Do you want me to call Sami?"

Katelyn shook her head. "No, no. She has a bunch of clients today, it's fine. I have to go to the firm but thank you."

"Okay, do you want me to follow you to the firm?"

Katelyn smiled shaking her head. "Stop worrying Terri, I'll be fine now that she's gone."

***

"If I ever see her again Katelyn, forget Sami killing her I'll fucking kill her." Explained Billy placing a coffee on the coffee table.

Nicole nodded in agreement. "I swear she's a fucking narcissist…good fucking riddance. Let her come back here. Nadine deserves her."

"I actually feel bad for Nadine, but I'm not putting myself in their business. The less I have to do with Quinn, the better. But please don't say anything to Sami you guys." She pleaded, leaning forward to grab her coffee.

"You're gonna have to tell her eventually Katelyn, or I will. She has a right to know." Explained Billy, sitting on the arm of Nicole's recliner.

Nicole slapped his thigh. "That's enough out of you and you won't say a word."

"Like hell I won't…she's Sami's girl, I'd want her to tell me if something happened to you and be beyond pissed if she didn't. Sorry, I'm just not taking that chance."

Katelyn sighed. "Okay, fine. I'll tell her, you just have to give me a few days."

"Anyway, how did the introductory meeting go at the firm earlier?" Nicole asked, leaning back in her recliner.

"I think it went okay. I could tell it's going to take a lot of hard work to get some of them to believe me when I say I'll run the firm just as good as dad." She sipped her coffee. "I don't blame their doubt I mean half of them have been lawyers the same amount of time I've been on this Earth. It'll take time but I believe I can win them over, especially with Richard's help." She said, smiling.

"I have no doubt in my mind that you will win them over, and if not. Fire 'em." Said Billy.

Katelyn laughed. "I can't just fire them Billy."

"Who said? You're the big boss man now Katie."

Katelyn shook her head. "Want to work security at the firm? Because I'm gonna need it if I take your advice."

"I'm all brawn baby." Replied Billy flexing his muscles, pushing a laughter from both Nicole and Katelyn this time.

Chapter 47

Katelyn danced in the old wood cabin styled kitchen to the radio while shuffling from the counter to the stove then back again, chopping and readying some onion's to sauté. The aroma of garlic bread baking slowly in the oven while onions began sizzling in butter in turn forcing her stomach to growl once more. Rinsing off the steaks she threw a mixture of different seasonings from Sami's rack above the microwave on them and began tenderizing just as she heard the front door shut. Throwing the kitchen towel over her shoulder she moved to the door, leaning against the frame she smiled to Sami kicking her shoes off at the front door.

"Hey you…"

Sami smiled moving toward her. "Hey yourself. I was wondering why the place was lit up and smelling amazing. What you got cooking in there?"

Katelyn wrapped her arms around Sami's neck, intertwining her fingers, locking her right there before slowly placing a soft kiss against Sami's lips.

"I'm making some steaks, fries and garlic bread." She replied, letting her fingers trace the soft lips she'd been waiting for all weekend.

They hadn't been able to spend much time together since Quinn left. Sami had been too busy catching up with her clientele at the parlor's then working the bar while Sophie stayed with Gwen most days to help take care of Mick now that Arthur wasn't around. And Katelyn spent her weekend going through the odds and ends with Charles and Richard about transitioning her name onto everything to do with her father's firm. She knew the next couple of weeks were going to be busy once again with late nights and early mornings while they caught up on their new client, the evidence and then their case, when Richard dropped another criminal case on her desk Friday night. So, she was determined that Sunday would be the night she'd cook Sami a meal and spend some much-needed time especially now that Quinn was gone and they could finally just enjoy being alone and in each other's company before their careers took over. She wasn't going to deny that the worries of them both being unable to find enough time for one another because of their busy schedules had crossed her mind, but she was determined to try and make time, even if that meant just crawling into bed with her at three a.m. and getting back up at six to go right back to work. They'd gone through too much to let life pull them apart.

"Are you gonna stay over?" Sami asked, her suggestive smirk pulling a suspicious brow arch from Katelyn.

"I'll think about it." She replied, biting her lip before breaking their embrace to put the steaks in the pan.

Sami moved to the fridge, taking out a bottle of beer she unscrewed the cap, throwing it into the sink before taking a few generous sips.

"Want me to set the table?" Sami asked, leaning against the counter watching Katelyn fry their steaks.

"I've already taken care of it. Go take a seat it's nearly ready."

Sami did as she was ordered and moved to the small dining table. Letting her eyes scan the perfectly put together table. The red tablecloth and cream napkins, she knew Katelyn had gone to a lot of trouble to try and make this night perfect for them.

"Okay, here you go, can I get you another beer?" Katelyn asked turning back to the kitchen.

"No, just come sit." Ordered Sami.

Grabbing her plate and glass of wine Katelyn walked to the table and finally took a seat. She smiled when Sami instantly began filling up her glass.

"So how was the parlor today? Did Zack show up or is he still incognito."

Sami shook her head. "I think I'm going to have a talk with him tomorrow, I know he's upset about your dad and that'll never go away but it's been a couple weeks…he has two business's now and I have to show him the ropes regarding the bar paperwork and numbers, orders etcetera."

Katelyn lifted her wine and took a small sip. "I know Donna is becoming increasingly worried, and honestly with her being pregnant she doesn't need to deal with this kind of behavior from him."

"I told her to tell him and I bet he'd completely change but she's convinced it'll make things worse." Replied Sami, shrugging.

"She's need to stop worrying about—"

"God damn this is fucking delicious." Sami interrupted. "Sorry."

Katelyn giggled. "Good, I'm glad you like it. I thought I'd do something nice for you because honestly the next few weeks with work, it's going to be a little hectic."

She watched Sami finish chewing her steak and grabbing her beer to wash it down.

"It'll be all right…I can bring dinner to you some nights. We'll work around whatever we need to."

Katelyn rested her wine glass against her cheek, admiring the woman in front of her. Some days she still struggled with the notion that her and Sami were finally where they needed to be… Together. It had been some of the toughest couple years since first meeting Sami and they'd both been through so much. A little put off at the fact that she had to bring up what happened with Quinn over dinner, she'd rather not but she knew if she didn't Billy would and that would just make it ten times worse. Her heart suddenly exploded as Sami's smiling darks caught her daze.

"You good over there, Jensen?"

Katelyn scrunched her nose before taking another sip of wine.

"Couldn't be better Wilson, but I do need to tell you something and I don't want you to fly off the handle, it's been taken care of I just want you to be aware of it."

Sami clenched her jaw before clearing her throat. "I can't promise anything but…okay."

"Sam you have to promise me…"

Sami sighed. "Okay, fine. I promise now what is it?"

Katelyn took in a deep breath. "Well…Friday with Quinn, I ended up not going to the airport with her…" She trailed, lightly circling the tip of her finger along the top of her wine glass.

"Why?" Sami questioned, instantly noticing the visible nervousness in Katelyn's once relaxed demeanor.

"We decided to grab something to eat at the café before we left…long story short, when I told her she had to respect you and that her and I were no longer on the table, and pretty much that I chose you in my life over her, she started slamming her hands on the table, somewhat yelling." She quickly witnessed Sami's face becoming reddened, her jaw clenching more than usual. "Terri walked over…defused the situation pretty quickly. Quinn ended up storming out, she did attempt to kiss me on the head before she left, I told her never to come near me again and she left it at that." She paused, taking a longer sip of her wine. "I really didn't want to bother you with it, but Billy told me if I didn't, he would, and I knew that would've just made it worse. So please Sam, don't freak out or get mad…it's done, over and we won't be seeing her again, even though she did mention about her and Nadine possibly becoming a thing…but I'm pretty sure they're keeping their meetings in Boston." She finished, reaching her hand to hold the clenching fist.

"All I'll say is she better not come back here because it's done if she does…I mean it." Stated Sami, adjusting herself in her seat. She could feel her body tremble as her anger built, wishing she could get her hands on Quinn in that very moment.

Katelyn shook her head. "That won't help matters Sam, and unlike the folks here she won't hesitate in suing you, especially if she finds out you and I are an item."

"You know I don't give a shit about any of that…I'm just saying she needs to stay away from you, or it's done. You mean the world to me Kate, I love you and if anyone tries to hurt you…I can't control my actions." Replied Sami, clearing the angered shake from her voice.

Katelyn smiled lightly tracing her fingertips across Sami's hand, loving the protective side of Sami. She wasn't sure if it was the wine, or the fact that knowing she had Sami alone without any disruptions but the urges to not jump across the table and unleash the years of pent up frustrations were suddenly overwhelming. Slowly she put her glass down, and pushing her seat back, she kept her eyes on the unsuspecting darks, purposely narrowing her seductive browns letting Sami know exactly what she wanted. Getting up Katelyn moved to Sami, smiling when Sami sat back to let Katelyn move her leg over her slowly straddling her. No words were said as their eyes read each other's wants, equally feeling the desire pulse through them. Katelyn curled the corner of her mouth letting a devious smile rest right there, instantly arching her back as Sami's traces slid down her back slowly while their eyes remained locked. Lowering her lips to Sami, she turned her cheek purposely teasing while slowly grinding against the woman her body hungered for. She wanted to let Sami suffer a little longer before finally giving in. Sami became engulfed by the sweetness of Katelyn as the tip of her tongue teasingly traced the edges of Katelyn's ear, her soft lips taking it in and sucking gently, her spread fingers gripping the slow grinding hips of Katelyn.

Katelyn sat up slowly arching her back more, lightly grasping Sami's jaw to draw their hungered gaze together. Their rushed breaths mixing as they watched each other's desire grow. The desire fueled darks forcing Katelyn to bite her lip once more unable to not give in when Sami brushed her bottom lip tenderly against hers. Katelyn wrapped her fingers around Sami's neck pulling her close, deepening their kiss to finally let Sami's taste fill her mouth, her amplified addiction compelling her to thrust her hips once more letting a blissful whispered moan escape.

Moving her lip against Sami's ear she purposely left her soft whispered moans right there, enjoying the torment in Sami's frustrated moans. As much as Katelyn loved teasing Sami, she was doing it to herself more so. Slowly she turned her lips and brushing them against her ear she paused her soft breaths.

"Take me to bed." She whispered slowly. Biting her lip as Sami's eyeroll sent her into a passion fueled spiral.

Suddenly she felt Sami's grip tighten against her waist and raising from her chair she began carrying Katelyn down the hall to the bedroom as her nails gently traced the back of Sami's neck, their soft slow kiss turning into a craze fuel passion, before Sami finally kicked the door shut behind them and threw her onto the bed, she had the desire fueled darks locked in and there wasn't a damn thing she could do but take what her heart and body craved.

***

Katelyn was suddenly woken by her cell phone vibrating on the bed side table next to her. Shuffling from under Sami's arms desperately trying not to wake her she grabbed her phone, shocked to see Nicole's name pop up on her screen, wondering why on Earth she was calling at three in the morning.

"Hello?"

"Katelyn, you have to come to the hospital, it's Zack."

Instantly she shot up, her fingers clasping at her lose hair. "Why? What happened? Nicole tell me he's okay…I need you to tell me this."

"He got into a fucking accident they haven't let any of us back there to see him. No one is coming near us. I need you here, Donna is an absolute fucking mess."

"Okay, I'm getting ready right now, I'll be right there."

Katelyn hung up desperately shaking a sleeping Sami, waking her instantly.

"We have to go, Zack got into an accident, he's at the hospital."

Sami jumped up, grabbing her sweatpants and quickly threw them on, her mind an absolute haze.

"Is he okay? How serious is it?" Sami rushed, throwing on her hoodie.

Grabbing one of Sami's hoodies she put it on before rushing and throwing her hair into a messy bun.

"I don't know, Nicole said nobody has been near them, just that the doctors are with him."

"Jesus fucking Christ." Snapped Sami, throwing on her slides before rushing out to the living room, and grabbing her truck keys she opened the door letting Katelyn move past her before both jumping into her truck.

Katelyn's heart throbbed through her chest as Sami put her foot down, running a few red lights but Katelyn didn't care, she just wanted to get to the hospital and see her brother. Before she knew it, Sami slammed on her brakes, parking across three parking spots. Understanding her zero fucks given at that time. She gripped Sami's forearm as the two ran into the front entrance of the emergency room, instantly being met by Billy, Nicole, Terri and Donna. Katelyn grabbed Nicole hugging her tightly.

"Anything yet?" Katelyn asked, desperate for answers.

Nicole shook her head. "Nothing…"

Sami looked at Terri. "What the fuck happened Terri?"

The avoidance behind Terri's demeanor suddenly caught Sami's attention.

"Terri…what the fuck happened?"

She took in a deep breath. "We're not quite sure, but we do know Zack was highly intoxicated. His car slid off the road and wrapped around a tree, with the torrential rain tonight we're assuming he hydroplaned…."

Sami gripped her waist spinning in her heels, turning her back to them. "Son of a bitch!"

Katelyn collapsed on the seat behind her, tears balancing. Sami looked over her shoulder at Billy, his disappointment matching hers as they shook their heads. Slowly Sami walked to Donna, bending down slightly to hold her as Donna wrapped her arms around her legs, resting her head against her. Sami kissed the top of her sister's head despising the sounds of her sister's painful sobs.

"Are you guys here for Zack?"

Sami turned to the doctor, as Katelyn stood up to approach him.

"Yes, is he okay?" Rushed Katelyn.

"He's very lucky to have just a broken arm out of all of this. He's going to be okay, but we do want to keep him overnight just to keep him under observation."

Katelyn nodded, putting her arm around Donna. "Is it okay if we go see him now?"

The doctor nodded. But before he could say another word Sami shot straight to the room, they had Zack, Katelyn's pleaded stares forced Billy to run after her. Knowing it wasn't going to be good. Sami flung the curtain back and just as the rest of them caught up with her, without any hesitation Sami jumped at him, wrapping her hand around his jaw squeezing it tightly. Katelyn watched Billy grab her other hand as it formed into a fist.

"You selfish son of bitch!" Yelled Sami.

"Sam, let him go!" Pleaded Donna.

Sami tightened her grip on his jaw. "Are you fucking kidding me?" She said through gritted teeth. "After everything your fucking family has gone through you decide to get shit faced then go for a drive?" Sami's mirthless laugh instantly worried Katelyn.

"Billy please get her off him." Begged Katelyn.

Billy nodded, and grabbing the inside of Sami's elbows he pulled her from Zack and away from his bed, purposely standing in front of her.

"I lost my fucking dad, Sam…you wouldn't fucking understand the pain behind that kind of loss!" Yelled back Zack.

"No, you're right I wouldn't but this bullshit? We're done. You're fucking done. You have a fucking mother who is still mourning the loss of her husband." Sami paused pointing at Katelyn and Nicole. "You have these two who also lost their father, can you imagine the absolute heartache they'd have gone through if they had to bury their fucking brother? Jesus, your mom if she had to bury her son?"

Zack finally broke down. "I'm sorry…I'm just…I don't know how I'm supposed to deal with this and get back to normal…it's just so fucking hard."

"Why the fuck wouldn't you bring that to us? You think it's been easy for Nicole and Katelyn? Of course the fuck not."

"You haven't been around! You're always at the fucking bar, the parlor or with Katelyn!" Zack's irate voice trembling.

His raised voice pushing Sami to jolt toward him, forcing Billy to hold her back.

"You never once tried to fucking talk to me, no calls, no texts…you completely fucking ghosted. Did my sister ever cross that fucking mind of yours? You need to step the fuck up, for the sake of your fiancée, mother, sisters and unborn child!"

Zack's face suddenly dropped as Katelyn clamped her eyes shut.

"Wait…what?"

Sami sighed, her body trembling. "You fucking heard me…get your shit together Zack, before you lose it all."

And with that Sami turned to walk out, Katelyn's grip on her forearm stopping her. Katelyn's pleading browns begging her to stay but Sami shook her head before pulling from Katelyn and walking out of the room. Katelyn looked back to a tear ridden Zack as Donna laid down next to him, both sobbing. She walked out calling for Sami down the hall.

Sami stopped and turned to look at her. "I'm not sorry for what I did in there…your brother needs to step the fuck up, especially if he's gonna be the husband of my sister and the father to my niece or nephew."

Katelyn nodded as she approached slowly. "Sam…I know. Nothing you said in there was wrong, but you've got to learn to control this temper. You were genuinely going to beat the ass of your best friend who just broke his arm in a car accident. You don't think he's hurting enough?"

"Katelyn, his selfish choices put him where he's at. If you hurt the people I love I'm going to beat your ass, end of story." Sami snapped.

Katelyn rested her palm against Sami's chest. "I understand that Sam, but there's a time and a place…you need to try to not lash out in the instance."

Katelyn's soft browns instantly began defusing Sami as soon as she let her darks take them in. She swallowed hard and taking Katelyn's hand that rested on her chest she slowly brought it to her lips kissing it, before lightly brushing a hair from her face. As the two stood just taking each other in, Katelyn pushed on her tiptoes and softly kissed Sami.

"Go back to the cabin…I just want to check that he's okay." She explained.

Sami nodded, before kissing her on the forehead and turning to leave.

"And Sam…"

Sami turned to her.

"Last night was worth the wait." She said, lightly biting her bottom lip and scrunching her nose with a smile.

Sami smirked accompanying it with a wink. "Let's just never wait that long again."

Katelyn laughed waving her away before finally making her way back to her brother's room.

Chapter 48

Katelyn finally pulled into and up the long dirt road driveway of Sami's parents ranch, the venue for her brothers upcoming wedding. With the window down and her shades on she loved finally feeling the warmth of the June sun caress her face, especially since it felt like winter had hijacked any kind of Spring they had and not much snow to show for it. The last couple of months had flown in with non-stop appointments and lunches, with her father's old acquaintances at the District Attorney's office. Richard had been a God send since she took over the firm, taking most of the weight load on cases, making sure to divide it equally between old and new paralegals. She'd been hiring more, just like Charles had advised and so far, everything had been running smoothly. She had court coming up within the next few weeks for a murder trial Richard had dropped on her desk a couple months back. Thanks to Gavin and Melissa she was able to read up on all the details and evidence presented pretty quickly, thanks to their well labelled and organized filing, they'd adapted to her ways in no time. She was confident as with most of her cases, but she knew never to get too cocky.

As for her and Sami things had been going rather smoothly and although they had both been drowning in their workload they still tried to make time for each other, even if it was only a quick lunch, or stealing a nap together before they ran off back to work. Nicole and Billy had been knee deep in trying to get the cosmetics just perfect for her new salon and the grand-opening was looming, yet another appointment Katelyn would have to try and fit in her already filled schedule, along with helping Donna pick out flower arrangements for the wedding and help her with centerpieces for the wedding reception. Details Zack should have helped with, but he too was too busy with trying to get the hang of the books for the bar. Mick would help him in his free time, he was just relieved to be back behind his pride and joy. Granted he wasn't back to one hundred percent but two days a week behind the bar filled the void for him, and of course Sami was always there monitoring and if not, she made sure someone was.

Pulling up next to Sami's truck, she took her sunglasses off and putting them in her glove box she got out and made her way into the ranch home. Following the laughter, she made her way to the kitchen smiling toward Zack, Donna, Ron and Brenda.

"Hey guys, sorry I'm late." She explained putting her bag down on the stool next to her.

Brenda welcomed her with a hug. "No sorry needed, dinner is nearly done. Sami is out back on the phone if you want to go see her."

Katelyn smiled before embracing Ron, his hugs becoming one of her most favorite things, a part of her knowing they reminded her of her dad. Moving from him she walked through the sliding door and out onto the porch that looked out at the grazing horses in their fields, to Sami leaning against the railing with her back to her on the phone. Katelyn quietly moved closer before slowly wrapping her arms around Sami's stomach, kissing her back gently.

Sami turned, and leaning her back against the railing she smiled at Katelyn wrapping her arms around her.

"All right listen man, I gotta go I'm having dinner with the family…I'll call you later tonight." She hung up, putting her phone back in her pocket before wrapping her arms around Katelyn's waist and kissing the top of her head, gently rocking them. They hadn't seen each other in a couple of days and finally getting to hold Katelyn, Sami felt back together.

"Damn, I missed you." Sami said softly resting her cheek on Katelyn's head.

Katelyn raised her sights to the tired darks and moved in for a soft slow kiss, letting her fingertips trace the face that never left her thoughts.

"I missed you too." She whispered.

She pulled back slightly, keeping her arms wrapped around Sami's neck to hold in the darks.

"Can I stay at yours tonight?" She asked, letting her finger trace back and forth over Sami's lips.

"You know you don't have to ask." Replied Sami, moving in for another kiss.

"Who was on the phone?"

"Trevor, the club owner on the East."

"Oh yeah, how's he doing?" She asked.

"Good, he wants more ink." Answered Sami, scooping Katelyn under her arm as she led her back into her parent's house.

The aroma of homemade spaghetti and garlic bread pulling a delighted moan from Katelyn.

"God, I'm so hungry." She explained sitting on the chair Sami pulled out for her at the dinner table.

Unable to prevent the salivation as Brenda and Ron placed their full to the brim plates in front of them, her eyes taking it all in. The aromas tantalizing her taste buds.

"This all looks amazing, Brenda. Thank you both."

Brenda sat down smiling. "Eat up you guys."

Katelyn leaned into Sami as they sat and ate with her parents, enjoying the stories being told regarding the shenanigans both Sami and Donna would get up to when they were kids amusing both Zack and Katelyn to no end. She couldn't help but display elation when watching a genuinely warm laughter from Sami when her dad would counter her smart-ass comments. It had been so long since she'd experienced a family meal around the table since her father's passing. Her heart heavy as she thought about her mom. She had spoken to her on the phone earlier that morning and her voice had seemed happier than it had in a while, a little relieved her mother's friends requested to join her for the week vacation she decided to take at the beach house down in Siesta key that Arthur had surprised her with. Slowly the mom she'd been so used to was coming back, and she knew it would take time, but it still broke her heart that she was without the love of her life.

"So, Zack…when are we doing the suit fittings?" Asked Ron.

"I was thinking maybe after the July fourth celebrations."

"Okay, sounds good. It'll give me some time to lose some of this baby weight."

Katelyn giggled along with the others, the absence of a smile from him pulling even more of a laughter from them.

"July fourth is only a couple of weeks away…when's the toddler due?" Asked Sami, a proud of herself smirk appearing.

Ron matched her smirk. "Good one, junior."

Katelyn rested her head against Sami's arm laughing.

"Oh, I Almost forgot the dress shop called they got the lilac dresses in for you to go and have a look, Donna." Added Brenda.

"Oh, good. They looked so good in the magazine." Stated Donna, pushing her nearly empty plate away.

Katelyn watched Zack gently rub the pregnant stomach of his future wife. Since the altercation with Sami and finding out he was going to be a father, Zack turned it around quicker than any of them imagined. Even going as far as to completely give up drinking and to support him Sami and Billy agreed to do the same. He was becoming the man even their own father would've looked up to and Katelyn never failed to remind him of that.

"I hope you all saved some room, there's brownies and ice-cream waiting." Both Sami and Katelyn blew out a long exhale.

"Mom, I don't think I could eat another crumb of food." Explained Sami, patting her stomach.

"Oh, nonsense…I know once you see the others eating, you'll complain about being hungry again." Countered Brenda.

Katelyn playfully patted Sami's stomach. "She is right you know…" She trailed.

Sami shrugged. "Don't judge me y'all."

After some more conversations over dessert Katelyn got up to help Brenda bring the dishes into the kitchen. Resting the plates by the sink, she grabbed the dish towel.

"Oh sweetheart, you don't have to help me. Go take a seat with the others I'll be back out there soon."

"No, no. It's the least I could do after that feast you prepared for us all." Insisted Katelyn grabbing a wet plate and drying it.

"You know, now that I have you alone. I know you already know this but, this is the happiest and most settled I've ever seen Sami and I have you to thank for that. We were worried the two of you would never come to your senses."

Katelyn smiled. "You and I both…it was a long hard road with us both, but in a weird way it made us a hell of a lot stronger, so I am thankful for the past we have together."

Brenda nodded. "You were both very much the conversation starter when Ron and I would have dinner with your parents. Your father was always convinced you'd both figure it out even when the rest of us highly doubted it."

"I think once my dad figured out the real Sami and not the one he built in his head…he knew she was right for me in every way possible. She opened my eyes to a lot of things, and I am so thankful for that." Replied Katelyn, finishing up the last of the plates.

Brenda gently rubbed Katelyn's arm, placing a warm kiss against her cheek.

"Thank you for giving her the chance to show you, Katelyn."

"I don't need a thank you at all, Brenda…I didn't make it easy for her." She replied, laughing.

Chapter 49

    

Katelyn rolled her head with a relaxed smile to look over at Sami driving them to Nicole's grand-opening, a part of her thankful for Richard insisting to take care of her meetings for that Saturday afternoon. Her next trial was looming, and the following week was booked-up with the pretrial conference. She wanted everything in order so she could enjoy the fourth of July celebrations with everyone and not have to worry about the trial until the day of. She moved her sights forward as Sami pulled into a reserved spot at the back of the salon and threw the truck in park.

"Are you ready for this?" Sami asked, unclicking her seatbelt and laying her head on the head rest.

Katelyn saw the tired behind the darks, forcing a small pout from her.

"Come on, let's go."

Grabbing Sami's hand, she tucked her other hand inside Sami's forearm letting her lead her around the corner to the front of the salon joining the growing crowd. A small smile appearing against Katelyn's cheek when she caught an excited Nicole standing with their mom and Billy behind the large red ribbon. Sending a small wave to her sister, she couldn't have felt prouder in that moment. Eventually finding Zack and Donna with the others near the front she hugged them before tucking herself under Sami's arm.

"Okay, we should probably get this started huh?" Stated Nicole to the crowd of onlookers.

Katelyn laughed at the small cheers, before resting her head against Sami's shoulder.

"I want to thank you all for coming out for me today…this is a huge deal and of course wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for the man who unfortunately can't be here with us today." She paused looking back at Gwen with tear shielded but still smiling eyes. "My father Arthur…but this salon will always be in memory of him." Turning to Billy she took the large scissors from him.

Katelyn felt Sami kiss her head softly as she watched her sister take in a deep breath before smiling at them and finally cutting the large ribbon in half, instigating a large cheer from everyone.

"Okay everyone, come on in, there's free snacks and champagne!" Cheered Nicole, moving to the side as everyone made their way inside.

Katelyn once again let Sami lead her into her sister's brand-new salon. Her eyes falling on the marble counters complimenting the bold, red chairs that effortlessly contrasted against the pristine white walls. The larger than life mirrors showing off the high ceiling that held the large contemporary chandeliers.

Taking a glass of champagne from Sami, she sipped from it slowly as her eyes fell on a picture behind the cash register of the three of them standing in between their mother and father in front of the lake at their lake house by the falls. Her heart bursting with pride as Nicole approached.

"You did so good, Nicole." Gratified Katelyn bringing Nicole in for a hug.

Nicole gritted her teeth as visible relief and excitement hit at once.

"I knew you would…now I just want to get this over with and get to work." She explained before bringing Sami in for a hug.

Katelyn let her eyes once again admire her sister's hard work. "Enjoy this Nicole, you worked so hard to get it looking this good…before it was just moldy wallpaper and damp ceilings. It's unbelievably stunning now."

"Thanks sister…oh are you guys still going to the fourth of July fireworks at Cedar Meadows park?" She asked as Billy approached with another glass of champagne for her.

Katelyn looked up at Sami. "We are right? You're not working, are you?"

Sami nodded. "Yeah we're going, Erika wanted to work it but I purposely closed the parlors on the fourth, booked her a flight to go spend some time with her sister and Greyson, poor girls been missing him like crazy…anyway your Uncle Mick insisted he'll cover the bar that day, we can kind of go in and check on him from time to time, just to make sure he's good."

Katelyn smiled. "Then yeah, we'll be there." She announced, her smile soon fading as Nicole's cheerful browns narrowed with a sudden hatred behind them.

Following her sister's now insufferable browns she looked over her shoulder, her stomach sinking instantly as her sights set on Nadine and Quinn entering hand in hand.

"Who the fuck invited them?" Asked Nicole as Zack, and Donna approached.

"Are y'all seeing who just came in?" He asked, keeping his back to them and purposely positioning himself in front of Sami.

Katelyn gripped Sami's hand harder as the unwelcomed guests approached them. She knew her palm instantly began to sweat as nerves stormed her entire body. She could suddenly feel Sami's handshake, her anger expelling through her stone-cold expression noticeable by all. Her heart instantly pounding as soon as Quinn's greens rested on her, that cocky grin immediately nauseating her.

"Beautiful salon Nicole." Stated an approaching Quinn as she led Nadine to them.

"I know…what're you doing here Quinn? You know your ass isn't welcomed here." Declared Nicole, her arms now crossed.

Katelyn watched Quinn's dubious emerald's turn from Nicole and straight to her and Sami, steadily studying her hand holding Sami's. The sudden spiteful laughter that escaped Quinn at that moment, shook Katelyn's nerves some more.

"I knew it wouldn't take long before you'd fall for the good old Sami charm…"

Sami looked at Nadine then back to Quinn and smirked, this wasn't her first time dealing with a piece of shit like Quinn and she was sure it wouldn't be her last.

"I think it'll be best for all of us if you turned right around and left." Said Sami, calmly.

Quinn grabbed the champagne from a passing tray before looking back at Sami, firmly tucking Nadine under her arm. A failed attempt at trying to get to Sami Katelyn knew.

"We just wanted to check the new place out is all…maybe make a truce? I mean if we're going to start seeing each other around town more, it'd probably be for the best." Insisted Quinn.

"Seeing each other in town more?" Questioned Katelyn.

Quinn nodded with a sly smile. "I mean, I'm going to be visiting Nadine…attending the same bars, restaurants etcetera we might as well just all get along, no?"

"Not in a million years…so you best just do as Sami said and leave, or would you prefer my brother and boyfriend to do it?" Inquired Nicole.

Quinn raised her hands. "Okay, okay. We can show ourselves out." Quinn looked at Katelyn and downed the entire contents of her champagne not before giving her a slow wink. "I'm sure I'll be seeing you guys around."

And with that they watched as Nadine and Quinn exited the salon, each of them looking back at one another unable to fathom the audacity. It was like having to deal with Peter McCluskey all over again.

"You held it together pretty damn well, Sami." Stated Zack, before taking a sip of his water.

"This isn't the time or place to smack the yellow off that woman's teeth."

Katelyn lightly slapped Sami's chest. "There is no place or time for that Sam, I mean it. If you end up getting into any kind of altercation with her, I won't deal with it because she just isn't worth it."

"She's right Sami…anyway I own the damn bar she's talking about I can ban her ass…wait I think I just did." Asserted Zack, laughing.

His comment instantly drawing a laughter from the group. Katelyn shook her head letting a faint smile rest against her cheek, but still she was unable to get Quinn's mean streak out of her head. The way she reacted at the café at the mere thought of Sami and her being together was that of a deep hatred. Quinn expelled none of that when witnessing for herself that they were together; she didn't know whether to feel relieved at that fact or worried.

Katelyn's worries were interrupted by Erika, Terri and Tara finally joining them. Bringing them in for a hug she broke away.

"Nicole, I'm so sorry I couldn't make it for the ribbon being cut, my last client was an absolute pain in the ass." Stated Erika as she gave Sami and Katelyn a hug.

"Oh, you're fine girl. I'm just glad you're here now." Nicole looked at Tara and Terri. "What's y'alls excuse though?"

Katelyn studied their uneasy demeanors, instantly reading her best friend's sly smirk.

"Really you two?" She asked.

Tara's sudden giggles finally let the others click on to what Katelyn meant.

"Jesus can y'all just be an item and stop this back and forth…you're like Sami and Katie, minus the every other day screaming matches." Stated Nicole, shaking her head.

Sami laughed, shrugging. "She's not lying there…but wait what happened with Jordan's buddy at the fire department? Jamie was it?"

"She dropped the bomb that she's transferring to Houston, so I shut that shit down real quick…I don't do long distance." Replied Tara, tucking her hair behind her ear.

"Please just bite the bullet and stay hooked up…for years you guys have always ended up sleeping together again." Stated Katelyn, taking another glass of champagne from the server.

Tara traced the tip of her tongue slowly across the bottom of her top teeth, sending Terri a wink and a small shrug.

"We'll see." Her reply pushing a laughter from Sami with a shaking head.

Chapter 50

Katelyn ran her fingers across Sami's back before reaching around and grabbing her empty plate then placing a soft kiss against her cheek while she sat at the breakfast bar going over the numbers, double checking that Zack did them right like he'd asked her to do.

"Thank you for breakfast, it was delicious." Stated Sami, looking up, studying Katelyn while she stood in nothing but a flannel doing the dishes, a small smirk resting.

Katelyn looked over her shoulder. "You're welcome, I wanted to make sure you ate something before we went to the fireworks because Lord knows you won't eat when we get to the park."

"Well, seeing as I'm not drinking this year, I might just eat everything in sight." Sighed Sami.

Katelyn mocked a pout before moving behind her and wrapping her spreading fingers over Sami's shoulders, tucking her face into the side of her neck, taking in her cologne. Lightly she massaged her shoulders while letting her bottom lip slowly trace the side of Sami's neck.

"Should we go shower?" She whispered softly.

Sami slid off her glasses. "Again? Absolutely." She replied before jumping off the stool and swooping Katelyn up to let her legs wrap tightly around Sami's waist, pushing a laughter from her as she walked them into the master bathroom. Gently Katelyn cupped the strong jaw, slowly she rested her lips against Sami's, smiling against them just as Sami placed her on the counter. Keeping her thighs firmly locked around Sami, she kept their hungered stare on her, Katelyn's heart bursting as she watched the love in the darks that always took her breath away. Their soft slow kiss turning into a desire driven passion one.

"I love you, Sami Wilson." Katelyn whispered, biting her lip to the soft gentle kisses that eventually began travelling down and tracing her neck.

***

Closing the truck door, Katelyn adjusted the patriotic bandana that hung around her neck just as Sami walked around the truck to her and instantly tucked her under her arm, kissing her softly. Lowering her sunglasses to scan the crowd of faces. She hadn't been to Cedar Meadows for fourth of July fireworks since before she left for law school. It hadn't changed except the crowd was definitely larger this year. Her eyes scanned the food trucks side-by-side, the beer pong tables, the DJ playing on the stage by the bronze statue of the Pines founder Buck Jones Thompson. Soon her eyes fell on the tall Jordan pointing toward her, Sami nodded and led them to their group.

Nicole threw her hands up taking her sister in for a hug.

"Jeez, glad you guys finally made it. What took so long?" She questioned before embracing Sami.

"No comment." Replied Sami, pushing an embarrassed laughter from Katelyn.

"Why did I even ask?"

Sami shrugged with a smirk before hugging Donna. "How're you feeling?" Sami asked, leaving a small kiss on her sister's cheek before rubbing her stomach lightly.

Donna nodded, holding the small of her back. "I'm okay my back is just starting to give me a hard time, so that's super fun." Her sarcasm pulling a smirk from Sami.

"Let me go grab you a camping chair, I have a bunch in the bed of the truck." Insisted Sami.

"No, no, I'll be fine."

Sami waved her away before kissing Katelyn lightly on the cheek, letting her know she'd be right back.

"I swear she doesn't listen." Snapped a visibly annoyed Donna.

Katelyn gave her a sympathetic smile, it didn't help that it was a hot day, thankfully not too humid but she couldn't imagine being pregnant, in a crowd of people and it just being hot and uncomfortable.

"You know how she is, Don. Especially when it comes to her sister."

Donna rolled her eyes. "I'm too hormonal to appreciate it right now."

Katelyn laughed. "Where is Tara and Terri?" She asked noticing they were nowhere to be seen.

Donna shrugged. "Terri's working, but she said she'd be patrolling the park today. Tara went to get some food."

Katelyn turned to a returning Sami with three camp chairs under each arm.

"Look at you, so strong." Katelyn mocked, pushing a smirk from Sami while unfolding one of the chairs for Donna to finally take a seat.

Unfolding the rest, Katelyn, Zack, Billy and Nicole all took a seat. A small sigh escaping them all while Nicole fanned herself with one of her flip flops.

"Oh, for fuck sake…" Cried Nicole through gritted teeth.

Katelyn looked at her with an arched brow. "What?"

Nicole nodded ahead of her. "Look who decided to show up."

Katelyn moved her sights in front of them and there standing with their backs to them was Quinn and Nadine with a group of friends she didn't recognize, their arms wrapped around each other, bobbing their heads to the music. The sight without fail sickening her, she felt Sami's hand move over her own followed by a gentle squeeze.

"Don't worry about them, we're here to have a good time and that's exactly what will happen." Stated Sami, leaning her head back in the chair visibly enjoying the beaming sun on her face.

Katelyn sat forward, grabbing the jaw between her hands and slowly kissed the lips she always hungered for before smiling against them. "Come dance…"

Sami slid her sunglasses down her nose slightly. "Oh yeah?"

Katelyn bit her lip with a smile and small nod. Grabbing the arms of her camping chair Sami pushed herself up before reaching her hand out for Katelyn to take, and she did just that. Keeping with their group Katelyn slowly slid her hands behind Sami's neck as she felt Sami's fingers spread across the small of her back, their bodies slowly rocking and swaying together, their eyes locked as their bodies submitted to the beat. Softly Katelyn traced her thumb against the back of Sami's neck, just as Sami rested their foreheads together.

"I think next weekend we lockdown in the cabin, just us…maybe fish, have a fire…whiskey…" Katelyn said softly.

"That sounds perfect to me, it's about time you took me on a date."

Katelyn laughed, scrunching her nose. "I don't know, I don't want this to get serious between us…"

Sami smirked, nodding. "Right, the next thing will be you'll want me to remember your name…"

Playfully Katelyn slapped Sami's chest as the two laughed together, letting their bodies rock back and forth while their eyes took each other and the love they shared in. Their blissful dance was suddenly interrupted by a tap on Sami's shoulder. Turning, she was faced with Nadine and Quinn. Sami sighed, letting go of Katelyn.

"Jesus, what?" Sami snapped.

"Just wanted to wish you guys a happy fourth of July…" Said Quinn, tilting her head to look at Katelyn wrapping her arms around Sami's side, making sure Quinn was very aware of the unity between them.

"Okay, thanks." Replied Sami, turning her back to Quinn she moved her hands back around Katelyn's waist.

She felt Quinn suddenly pull her shoulder back. Sami stood for a second staring up into the sky before turning back around.

"You got a problem?" Sami questioned.

"Sam, leave it. Come on." Insisted Katelyn, pulling Sami's forearm slightly.

Quinn smiled, "No, not a problem I just think that when someone wishes you a happy fourth, the decent thing to do is wish it back."

Sami watched Nadine now pull on Quinn's forearm. "Quinn you promised you weren't going to embarrass me…let's go."

"Do as your girl says, Quinn." Stated Sami.

Quinn snapped her arm from Nadine's clutch. Instantly Katelyn saw the wickedness take over Quinn's greens, Quinn was already visibly drunk and she knew right at that moment she was looking for a fight and if anyone was going to give it to her it of course would be Sami, if Sami's temper had anything to do with it.

"I'm not going anywhere until you apologize for being rude."

Sami smirked shaking her head, just as Billy and Zack stood next to her, while Zack gently coaxed Katelyn to Donna. "Listen, Quinn…I don't like you, you don't like me. Leave it at that and go have a good time with your girl and friends and leave us alone, sound good?"

Quinn shook her head. "Not good enough…say you're sorry."

"She's not though." Countered Billy, stepping forward slightly in turn forcing Sami to put her arm in front of him to bring him back.

"Leave it, Bill. She'll get the hint, come on let's go sit."

Instantly Sami felt Quinn's grip around her forearm, pulling her to turn and look at her.

"You're right I don't like you, not to mention you stole my girl from me."

Sami tilted her head looking toward Nadine and pointing at Quinn. "Really Nadine? This one? You know she's head over heels for Katelyn, right?"

Nadine arched a brow, shaking her head before pulling Quinn's arm back forcing her to face her.

"You're legitimately still into her, aren't you?"

Quinn shrugged from Nadine. "Shut up, we'll talk about this later."

Nadine's eyes narrowed right before sending a forceful slap across Quinn's face and saying nothing else she walked away.

Sami shook her head. "Quinn…I think you need to just go lick your wounds back in Boston and stay the fuck out of the Pines."

Quinn's mirthless laugh jolted Katelyn forward, she'd heard that before, right when Quinn would jump at someone on a night out for something as simple as flirting with Katelyn.

"Sam." Katelyn snapped, just as Nicole finally stood up and put herself between Sami and Quinn.

Nicole looked at Quinn, a little taken aback by the darkness seeping from the greens.

"Quinn…seriously just leave or we'll have you escorted out of the park." She stated, her forearm pushing against Sami's stomach trying her best to keep a safe distance between the two.

"I'm not going anywhere…not until Sami apologizes to me or fights me…it's up to her." Insisted Quinn.

"Jesus Christ Quinn…we're grown ass adults. She's not going to fight you over something so stupid. Leave now, please." Insisted Katelyn.

"I think she's already beat your ass once before, Quinn. Don't embarrass yourself a second time." Replied Zack.

Katelyn grabbed Sami's hand, but Sami's glare didn't move from Quinn. She pleaded as best she could, to try and get Sami to listen. Pushing past Zack and Nicole she moved directly in front of Sami, pressing her finger against Sami's jaw, pushing the darks to finally settle on her pleading browns.

"Sam, she isn't worth this, please…"

Sami clenched her jaw as Quinn moved closer, and in that instance, Katelyn felt Sami move her out of harms away, shoving her into Zack.

"I'm not worth it?" Quinn's sickening laugh immediately giving Katelyn the chills. "Okay, you know what…you win Sam…you can have her but there'll always be one thing I'll have over you that I hope you never forget."

"What's that?" Sami asked, tilting her head with narrowed eyes.

Katelyn looked at Quinn, her confusion moving through her brows as Quinn's ominous greens narrowed. She watched Quinn shift her sights to her, and with a slow wink she moved her stare back to Sami's.

"Never forget…I got to fuck her first." Quinn spat.

Katelyn's eyes widened, instantly gasping as Sami bulldozed through Nicole, shoving her to the side to leap at Quinn, flooring them both. Her screams echoing through everyone's ears as Sami stayed on top of Quinn while fist after fist pummeled the face below her. Briefly Katelyn watched as her brother and Billy desperately tried pulling Sami from Quinn, while Donna and Tara held her back, preventing her from going anywhere. Her screams became louder, begging and pleading for Sami to just stop. Then suddenly… All went eerily quiet, as if in slow motion, just as Billy tried to hook his forearm around Sami an almighty loud pop rang through everybody's ears. Rushing her palms to her ears Katelyn grimaced, then finally her brain clicked… That wasn't a firework. Opening her eyes, squinting as her ringing ears persisted, eventually fading out and tuning into people's screams and loud gasps. Katelyn watched Quinn crawl from under a gasping and squirming Sami, her heart immediately stopping when her eyes caught Quinn's gun drop from the tips of her blood covered fingers. Quinn's blood-soaked shirt illuminating as she backed away. Through the throbbing of her ringing ears, she looked down at Sami on her stomach her legs squirming before finally becoming still. Jolting out of her shocked state realizing what had just happened she fell next to Sami as Billy and Zack turned her over. Katelyn's body trembled when her sights fell on Sami's stomach gushing blood, her darks fading in and out. Suddenly every breath winded Katelyn, as Zack desperately applied pressure to Sami's stomach, screaming for someone to call nine one, one. Katelyn grabbed Sami's hand, rubbing it profusely begging and pleading for her to keep her eyes open. Her tears dropping on the still grey cheek, when suddenly she felt Sami's fingers lightly squeeze her hand.

"Sami, I'm right here baby, don't you go to sleep, I'm right here…hang on baby, hang on…help is on the way. Stay right here with me baby, right here." She whispered, her trembling blood covered fingers caressing the cold clammy cheek.

Suddenly she felt hands gripping her shoulders and when she looked up it was Nadine.

"Katelyn, I need you to move back so I can assess her real quick and do CPR, okay?" Nadine said as calm as she possibly could in that moment, before turning to Zack. "Zack, while I'm doing CPR, I need you to keep pressure on her wound, can you do that for me?" He nodded toward her.

Katelyn shook before finally letting go of Sami's cold hand, watching it drop effortlessly on the grass below. Her mind a blur as she watched Nadine check for a pulse and instantly begin CPR, the image of her brother on his knees desperately applying as much as pressure as he could, his soft cries begging her to stay with them while Billy laid with his head against Sami's holding her hand as his trembling fingers stroked her hair back.

Katelyn turned to the blood curdling screams of Donna as she fell to her knees, quickly alongside Nicole and Tara they rushed to her. Katelyn knelt in front of her, purposely blocking the view of her sister getting CPR. She pulled Donna's head into the side of her neck, the painful sobs vibrating against her throat. Katelyn looked up to a shocked, pale and speechless Nicole as she gently ran her shaking fingers through Donna's curls. The horror in Nicole's eyes as they shifted to Nadine working on Sami. Katelyn looked over her shoulder as raised voices could be heard, her eyes falling on Terri with her knee in Quinn's back as she cuffed her. Her heart pounding through her chest once more as faint sounds of the ambulance sirens approached. Her eyes watching a sheet white Quinn being pulled up to her feet, her bloodshot eyes glued on a motionless Sami.

"I didn't mean it…it was an accident, it was an accident, it was an accident."

Slowly Katelyn blinked as Terri and another officer forcibly pulled a pleading Quinn from the crowd, her eyes soon catching the racing paramedics throwing the stretcher and their bags down next to Nadine, pulling her from Sami as one continued to do compressions and the other listened to Nadine's report on Sami's vitals, while Billy and Zack stayed right with Sami talking to her. She felt Donna suddenly pull from her grip.

"Did she kill my sister!" Donna screamed, fighting the flying arms of Tara and Nicole as they tried to hold her back from the paramedics.

Katelyn stood up, grabbing Donna's flying wrists, jerking them into her chest.

"Donna! Enough! Let them do what they have to do!" Said Katelyn sternly. She knew she seemed calm on the inside but really her heart was beating out of her chest, her legs were like jelly. Suddenly she felt Donna fall into her, and saying nothing she held her tightly, just as Nicole and Tara cocooned their arms around the two broken hearted women, shielding them from the bloodied and lifeless body of Sami.

Katelyn turned to watch the paramedics put Sami on the stretcher before one of them expertly straddled Sami and continued CPR as Nadine stayed by her side now being the one applying pressure against the compression dressing that covered the wound. Zack and Billy helped lift the stretcher into the ambulance. Donna's pleaded screams echoed through her ears as Zack shut the ambulance doors before its loud sirens wailed, splitting the large crowd as it sped off.

Katelyn's heart sank when the pale emotionless faces of her brother and Billy turned to them, Sami's blood masking every inch of Zack's clothing. She bit her lip just as her knees buckled, dropping her and Donna to the ground as they held each other through their painful cries.

 

2 Years later.

Zack threw on his suit jacket, then stood patiently as Donna fixed the knot on his tie before resting a soft kiss on his cheek.

"There you go, just as handsome as the day I married you." She said smiling.

Zack matched her smile before kissing the tip of her nose before checking his watch.

"Shit, we're gonna be late…Katelyn will kill me if we're late for the memorial."

Donna moved away checking she had everything in her bag. "It's okay, she texted me not long ago, she's running a few minutes late too. Okay do you want to go get little Arthur?"

Zack nodded. "Yeah, did you pack everything we need?"

"Mhm, it's all out in the car already." Stated Donna, grabbing her coffee and sipping the remains.

Zack moved down the hall and into the Toy Story themed bedroom, reaching his hands out to his son Arthur sitting up contently on his rug playing with his toys.

"Hey little buddy, let's get this show on the road, shall we?"

Picking him up, Zack straightened Arthur's ties before walking out to Donna's content smile.

"My God does he look adorable in his little suit." She explained kissing her son's cheeks. "Oh! Did you grab the shoes I bought Sami?"

"Yeah, I put them in the baby bag. Explain to me again why we're buying one hundred-dollar shoes for a five-month-old?"

Donna slapped Zack playfully on the arm. "Because they're adorable and Nicole will absolutely love them on him."

Zack shook his head. "Y'all are gonna have these kids spoiled."

"Listen, don't hate because your nephew's wardrobe is way more stylish than your own." Insisted Donna with a smirk, "Okay, let's go or we're really gonna be late."

***

Katelyn tucked a hair behind her ear, pacing as she read from her que cards, her stomach flipping and turning upside down. This was the second year running she'd done this, but it still felt like the first and her nerves were getting harder to settle with each passing minute. She looked up as the white chairs began filling with the locals of East and West Pines. Closing her eyes while she chewed the inside of her cheek, she turned to a gentle palm resting against her shoulder.

"My darling, will you relax? You're going to do just fine." Stated her mother Gwen, lightly dusting a hair from Katelyn's strap to her black dress.

"I know mom, my emotions are just everywhere right now." She replied, swallowing hard, letting her palm spread across her stomach, rubbing it gently.

"Oh look, your brother and Donna are here…I think everybody's here my dear. It's time to get started."

Katelyn looked over her shoulder watching on as her brother holding little Arthur and Donna took their front row seats next to Nicole and Billy with Sami happily drooling on his lap. She couldn't help the small smile as Nadine nodded toward her with a reassuring smile. Katelyn took in a deep breath, swallowing hard as she approached the podium. She closed her eyes once more, to settle her rushed breaths before opening them to the smiling onlookers.

She cleared her throat. "Thank you all for being here today…and for taking the time out of your day to be with us." She paused rubbing her stomach with a smile. "I'm sorry it's a little later than we had expected, unfortunately junior here." Patting her stomach lightly, she smiled once more. "Likes to give mom morning sickness." She paused to a small laughter from the crowd. Clearing her discomfort from her throat once more, she continued. "As I was saying thank you for taking the time out of your day to be with us as we celebrate the memory of—" Just as her eyes settled on the seated crowd, the standing figure in the back interrupted her. An elated smile taking over as a small tear balanced against her large lashes. She tilted her head and bit her lip. "You made it." She said through soft whispers.

The crowd looked behind them, all smiling as the figure smiled back, walking toward the podium, hands tucked into black suit pants, the loose from its knot black pencil tie swinging with every travelling step. Katelyn's heart filled up in her chest.

"I'm sorry everyone but as you can see my darling wife wasn't sure she'd make it today because for the past couple of weeks she's been travelling, helping our aspired artists get placement at well renowned tattoo parlors to further their careers across the country…." She paused as Sami finally approached. Wrapping her arms around Sami's neck she took in the smiling darks before kissing her softly as the clapping crowd pulled a laughter from them both. The tears in her eyes no longer able to balance as Sami gently rubbed her stomach and resting her hand on Sami's she rested their foreheads together.

"Welcome home my love." She whispered.

"There's no place I'd rather be than right here with you and our little bean at your dad's memorial." Sami whispered against her lips. Sami turned to the crowd and clearing her throat she pressed her lips to Katelyn's cheek, kissing it softly. "Okay get back to what you were doing."

Katelyn nodded. "Sorry about that everyone…I just never thought she would make it here today…okay, where were we?"

Sami turned, catching Katelyn's intoxicating browns and letting a smirk rest against her cheek, before sending a wink.

"Never say never."

The End. (Book Two of Two.)

 

Author's Page

Back to the Academy