Chapter 15

 

"So, what do you think?" Zack asked Sami, approaching her, his arms pointing in the direction of his new toy, "Isn't she the sexiest little thing you've ever seen?" He continued.

 Sami stood leaning her back against the parlor window, her coffee down by her side, her other hand hanging from her ripped jeans pocket.

"Firstly, how much did you pay for this thing? And secondly, can you handle it? You had a hard-enough time with the last one and she was pretty fast." She asked, pushing off the window to scan the new metallic red sports car, taking it in, a smirk forming as she heard Zack sucking on his teeth from her questions,

"Are you kidding me? Obviously, I can handle it...if I keep her in second gear that is,"

Sami laughed, nodding. "I'm not a sporty car kind of girl but she sure is pretty," she replied, her eyes admiring the shine from the polished chrome rims.

"Want to take it for a spin?" Asked a tempting Zack, dangling the keys in front of her. She cocked an eyebrow letting a devious grin follow but before she could answer, her ringing cell phone interrupted. She dug it out of her pocket noticing it was Mick.

"Hey old guy, what's up?"

"Hey kid, I need a favor for tonight, are you free?"

Sami had plans with Zack’s hidden attempt of a double date, but when it came to Mick needing help, she made sure to always be there, and it was a plus if it meant getting out of Zack’s date plans,

"No, no plans, what do you need?"

 "Well I have a party booked tonight for a few local girls out on the town and I'm going to need all the help I can get."

Without a second thought Sami agreed to help, then hung up.

"So... we’re going to help Mick tonight; we need to be there by six." Sami rushed her sentence.

"But...we have a--" Sami's glare interrupting him,

"You owe me man; I'm cashing in my chips. I'm going to need you."

Sami smirked as his long sigh lingered,

"All right...but for the record if it wasn't for Mick I would tell you to forget about it."

Sami laughed shaking her head, "No, you wouldn't."

 

 Katelyn sat in front of her white oak vanity that still vacated her bedroom as she applied her make up for the night’s engagement with the girls. Her room was just as she had left it all those years ago, white walls with an oak border, and her matching white corner cabinet, that her mother made, proudly displaying her track certificates and trophies.

Nicole appeared from behind the door. "Are you ready? Everybody’s downstairs."

Katelyn looked over at her sister, her eyes widening at the lack of what her sister was wearing,

"You are not going like that are you?" Instantly disapproving of her sister's low-cut top and short plaid skirt. Nicole walked behind her to admire herself in the vanity mirror.

"Don't be such a prude, sister. I look perfectly fine!" She stated.

Katelyn stood up turning to the mirror, giving her tasteful cream off the shoulder top and light denim skinny jeans a final nod of approval. Casual, possibly overdressed for the West side bar owned by her Uncle but for the first time in a long time, she was going out to have a good time and not put on a show for others.

 

Sami pulled into the parking lot next to Zack’s newly waxed car. She took in a deep breath, she loved working at the bar, and never had a problem with any of the regulars, and some of those regulars were East Pines’ laborer workers... Not the uppity socialites who occupied their very own bar, The Prestige. The name alone said it all. Of course, she would get a councilman’s daughter who would stumble in with her just as snobby entourage to mix up the social spectrum of the West and East.

"Ah! My hired help is here." Mick declared to the regular patrons enjoying the mellow music and laughter with the hue of conversations, and clattering pool balls.

Sami smirked, “We get free drinks, right?" She asked lightheartedly.

"Free water for all, kid." His humor tickling Sami's ribs.

"I'll take what I can get, pops."

Mick lightly tapped Sami on the back of the head with the cloth he always had draped across his shoulder,

"Enough of the pops," he said with a wink before resting another patron’s beer on the bar.

Sami leaned her elbows on the edge of the bar behind her, distracted by the hanging flat screen playing the football game. Zack walked over with empty glasses putting them on the bar hard enough for the clatter to take her attention from the game. She looked over her shoulder at her already tired friend.

“When are these folks supposed to be getting here? I’m already beat and it’s only six thirty.”

Grabbing the glasses from him, she smirked. “It’ll get busy soon enough, quit your whining.”

He looked over his shoulder to the door, following the sudden shrill of laughter walking in.

“Oh…my” He announced, watching what he described to Sami as a flock of angels finally taking him right to heaven. Soon those hopes were dashed once his eyes caught sight on his sisters trailing the pack.

“Wait…what are you guys doing here?” He asked, eyebrows scrunched together.

Sami glanced over her shoulder, instantly in her sights was Katelyn. Her eyes admiring the athletically curvaceous legs that even jeans couldn’t hide. Damn. She sighed and shook her head. Her attention was taken so easily and that wasn’t something she was used to, or the skip her heart would announce when her eyes caught the come to bed eyes Katelyn unknowingly possessed. Get it together, Wilson.

“We’re having Katelyn’s pre-bachelorette party before the real one…that is whenever she finally decides to set a date,” Nicole paused arching a brow toward her sister. Katelyn pursed her lips together, saying nothing. “What are you guys doing here?” Nicole finished.

He nodded over his shoulder toward Sami. “Well, my good friend here told Uncle Mick we would help him tonight because he was expecting a party in, we didn’t realize it was for you guys. No offence to this place but why on Earth would you ladies come here?”

Katelyn smiled, leaning in to give her brother a kiss on the cheek, before wiping away the trace of her honey love lipstick.

“When have you ever known us to shy away from the West side of town? Uncle Mick will take good care of us.” She said, resting a mischievous smirk.

Zack puffed his chest to post up like a boxer. “Y’all will be fine with me here to protect you, isn’t that right, Uncle?”

Mick did nothing but rest a grin against his silver beard and shook his head. Sami cleared her throat, attempting to push back her laughter and patted her friend on the back. “Settle down Ali…you have a few customers to serve.”

“So, you’ll be our waiter tonight?” Katelyn asked scrunching her nose.

He groaned, looking toward Sami and slumping his shoulders. “I can’t believe you made me do this...I had the chance to go on a date with a beautiful girl…but nope…”

“You’re welcome.” Replied Sami.

For a moment, Katelyn caught the dark but captivating glance from Sami, strangely instigating a nervousness inside her. She cleared her throat, moving her sights on her brother.

“You ladies sit down, holler when you’re ready to order.” He explained.

 

Katelyn began eyeing the drinks menu, unable to prevent her eyes from looking over occasionally at Sami. Her Uncle made sure to put them near the back giving them some privacy but still allowing them to see out at everyone. She continued to watch Sami engage with the other patrons, studying her like a law passage. Taking in every detail of her tanned face. The worn lines over her pale pink lips, the soft wrinkles that rested on the corner of her mouth as she smiled. Sami was attractive Katelyn wasn't ignorant to that fact. Her dark brown hair imaging her dark ashy eyes, leaving much mystery behind them. She couldn't quite put her finger on why she found the tattooist intriguing, but she did, and she wasn't oblivious to the side effects she felt after their innocent dance that still snuck into a thought. But Katelyn wasn't going to be like the others, there was no way she was going to fall into her hold. She was safe... Yes, she was safe. She had Richard.

"Okay everyone, are we ready to give them hell?" Tara asked, before raising her arm and yelling for Zack.

He looked over slouching his shoulders forward before glaring over at Sami, "Please help."

Sami smirked, throwing the bar towel over her shoulder, walking around the bar and toward the table of loud, some snobby, some already half-drunk women,

 "What can we get you ladies?" Sami asked, her eyes studying the faces, unable to ignore Tara's lingering fingers,

"Not going to say hello?" Tara asked.

Katelyn studied the mischievous eyes from her best friend tracing the face of Sami.

"Hey, sorry the game is on, I kind of got distracted. How’s the ink?" Sami asked, writing down the orders from the others.

Katelyn watched Tara slide her black A-line skirt over her thigh. "Your lips enjoyed examining it the other night. You tell me," Tara said in a low soft tone.

Sami smirked slightly, before swallowing hard, staring at the beautiful, tanned leg. "Not bad, it healed very nice, your skin tone worked for those colors."

 Katelyn tried to not pay any attention to the women’s interaction, but she couldn’t help herself. She wasn’t used to her childhood friend being with a woman, and not just any woman, Sami Wilson.

"We want shots, and lots of them," Katelyn demanded, avoiding all eye contact with Sami, but hoping she would notice the sternness in her voice. She wanted her to leave the table, at that point… She didn’t know why but she needed her to.

"You got it."

Katelyn watched nervously as Nicole stood up to grab Sami’s arm before insisting they needed to talk privately about her handling of Billy. She observed the two step from the table and disappear behind the bar and into a back room. Katelyn was curious as to how the two of them would be after their talk, she knew Nicole could get heated very quick, that was one of her sister’s weaker traits. Soon her attention was taken from the bellowing laughter of Billy as he played pool with a few locals, she gasped lightly as his black eye caught the light. Wow she wasn’t messing. Excusing herself from the rest of the girls she got up going to him.

“Kicking their asses, I hope?” she asked, pressing a soft kiss against Billy’s five o’clock shadow,

“You know it baby girl.” She laughed as Billy wrapped his arms around her kissing the top of her head, “Let me buy you a drink,” he insisted, guiding her to the bar, “Y’all having fun?”

“It’s still early but I have no doubt there will be some sort of shenanigans going on before last call, especially if my sister has anything to do with it.” Katelyn replied, taking a seat on a stool next to him.

“Yes, she’s a little firecracker.” Katelyn watched his eyes studying the faces around them, “Where is she anyway?”

“Oh, she’s probably giving Sami hell to pay in the back room. She wasn’t too pleased when she heard what Sami had done…”

He nodded dropping his head. “I needed it. Hell that woman can throw a punch.” He laughed.

Katelyn smiled softly. “Yeah, I never doubted she could. I don’t agree with how she stopped you from continuing down the wrong path, but I’m happy it seems to have worked. You’re so much better than that Bill.”

“It’s the only thing that could have worked. She knocked some damn sense into this old head of mine,” he paused finishing his whiskey. “Between you and me…I don’t know much about her past, I’ve heard a few things but…whatever I did to her, woke up some kind of demons. It takes a lot to shake me, but right before she threw that first punch…her eyes man, they fucking scared me.”

Katelyn dropped her stare, her fingertip slowly circling the top of her whiskey glass, she knew a little of what he was talking about. She knew Sami had demons, after the things she’d been told, anyone in that situation would have them. Katelyn was almost sure she had an explanation as to why Sami was so hell bent on forbidding herself to love by implementing rules before letting any woman in her bed. As much as she wanted to hear what really happened that night, from Sami herself she knew she could never ask. Sami’s past was really none of her business. Logically it made sense, realistically she wanted to know more, almost ached to get closer into finding out the real Sami Wilson.

“All I know is that she has been through a lot and I think it’ll take a special kind of someone to ever find out her demons and help her with them.” Explained Katelyn, resting her hand against his cheek, sharing his sympathetic smile.

“I hope she opens up one day. She’s so damn guarded about everything. I don’t care about her past…even if some of the stuff I’m hearing is true…” his eyes turning to concern, “She gave me the chance everyone simply refused to give. I want her to see the good she does.”

Katelyn nodded. “That’s not on you or anyone, Bill. If she chooses to keep whatever demons she has locked away, that’s on her. She’ll just always be very miserable.”

“Damn, Katie. Not a Sami fan?” He laughed, “I don’t want her to be miserable.”

“I like her, she certainly seems to have a nice side. I’m just not a fan of her activities with some of the women around here.”

She arched her brow toward Billy’s laughter. “Yeah, they do keep her busy, especially your girl Tara. But hey, they’re grown and having fun, right?”

She shrugged, wrapping her fingers around her glass. There it was, that sudden bad taste and sickening knot. Quickly she downed the whiskey, shutting her eyes as she pushed the burn from her throat hoping the bad taste would dwindle with it. “I guess.”

***

The night was still young, and they had been there for over an hour. Sami hadn’t approached the table since Katelyn’s brash tone sent her away. She knew Sami was sending Zack over with refills for that reason alone, and she knew she should have been pleased at that fact, but she simply wasn’t. Ugh.

She leaned over whispering in Nicole’s ear, “Did you and Sami kiss and make up?”

“I wish.”

Katelyn rolled her eyes at her sister’s mischievous grin, “What the hell is it about her that has you all going crazy for?”

Nicole shrugged, “I’m just playing with you Katelyn, relax my dear sister, you’re so uptight tonight.” 

"Tara isn't even a lesbian, why on earth is she continuing to sleep with one and go on dates with another one?" She asked, her expression highly unamused.

Nicole leaned back to look at her with a puzzled expression, "I'm not sure really, maybe she's bi? I just know they have a good time."

"I don't understand this whole casual sex with whoever… whenever, it's undignified."

Nicole laughed lightly at her judgement, "Oh, lighten up sis, you’ve been here over a month and still this is an issue? We can't all find our prince charming like you. They enjoy each other's company. They're just having some fun, it's none of our business what our friends do. They aren't hurting anybody," explained Nicole,

"What're you talking about? Isn't Peter your prince charming?"

"Honey, Peter is no prince that I plan on marrying," replied Nicole,

"Then why are you even…with him?" She asked,

Nicole shrugged, "It's...fun. He loves me and... before I knew it, he labelled our encounters as a relationship."

"You don't love him? Why are you wasting your time staying with him?" The unsettling irritation growing inside her,

"I'm riding out the time with him, our relationship is a perfect coincidence.” She grabbed two shot glasses and knocked them back, “Don’t get me wrong, I really like him...I'm not sure about love though. I'm not like you Katelyn...if my friendship with Sami taught me anything, it’s to go with what life throws at you and see if you like it. I'm having fun right now, it's not a waste of time if you're having fun. Why consume yourself with the stress of being like everyone else?"

Katelyn had nothing to say, she was taken aback by her sister's fluent attitude when it came to her future. She always worried and stressed about such things. Settling and marrying, a thriving career, maybe possibly having children. The fact her sister didn't feel the same, hell everyone she had grown up with, neither of them did either, shook her. Katelyn knew what she wanted out of life and she wasn't willing to waste any amount of time if it had no place in her future endeavors, and she was perfectly content with that, at least she thought.

"Okay we have officially run dry, hold on let me call Zack over. Za--" Katelyn interrupted her sister,

"It’s fine I’ll go over and order, I need to stand up anyway."

Nicole agreed before moving slightly to let Katelyn shuffle past.

Slowly she made her way to the bar trying not to trip as she was admittedly over the being tipsy mark. Finally making it to the bar she nudged into a merry Terri before raising her hand yelling for Zack,

“Hey gorgeous, can I get you this one?” Terri asked with a sly smile,

Katelyn matched the sly smile with an eye roll, “I have this one, but you can join us, we haven’t caught up since I’ve been back.”

Terri’s smile turned into a grin, “I thought you’d never ask.”

In the corner of her eye Katelyn noticed an approaching Sami,

"What can I get you?" Sami asked handing a bottle of beer to Terri.

"I was signaling for Zack to serve me. I'd hate to keep you away from the potential tail in here for your hunt."

She studied Sami’s raised brows. Yes, she made her comments, but this was purposely cold, no sassy smirk. She didn’t know why but she knew she wanted a reaction from Sami… Was it to give her an even more justified reason to not like her? After-all she did seem to be the only one in East Pines who had a problem with Sami’s ways, apart from her father.

"Well, he's downstairs grabbing another keg,” Sami leaned in closer, “And for the record Kate… I appreciate the whole trying to be my wingman thing, but it's too early I like them a little more drunk, thanks for looking out though." Katelyn turned to Terri’s snigger instigating Terri to quickly drop her head, but there was still a remanence of a smile.

Sami’s purposely antagonizing wink forced Katelyn’s narrowed eyes. Sami lit a fire under her, and in that moment, she didn’t care to try and figure out why the woman’s words scorned her,

"God, you’re…” Quickly she decided to hold her tongue, “I’ll wait for Zack and you can call me Katelyn, not Kate," she replied sternly.

"You've never had a problem with it before but whatever you say, Katherine."

"Did you just...don't call me by one of your girl’s names! It's Katelyn. That should be easy to remember, but then again with the number of women's names you've had to try to remember in this town I can see where the difficulty would come into play."

Katelyn clenched her teeth onto the inside of her cheek. There it was, that instance of a bad taste, the aggravation. God, she brought it out in her so easily.

"Who said I had to remember their names?" Replied Sami, leaning her face closer to Katelyn, and purposely burning her unamused stare into the drunken glare in front of her. She dealt with Katelyn's unfiltered words often and she was fine, but she could see Katelyn wasn't messing this time around, and she was about done with it.

Katelyn spat a mirthless laugh as a sudden anger ignited inside her. "God, you really are a pig huh?”

She watched as Sami gritted her teeth. For the first time, she witnessed a small reaction in the face that had been haunting her thoughts for weeks,

"All right, I think we are done here, you have a problem with my personal life? That's your problem princess..."

Katelyn's mouth fell open. She was Katelyn Jensen. Her family was the most respected in town. Who did this clearly low-class tattooist think she was talking to her like that?

"If your personal life hurt's my best friend you'll have me to deal with and don’t you dare call me princess...I work hard for everything I have!" Katelyn replied, raising her voice and pulling her arm from Terri’s soft grasp,

“Come on Katie, go back to your table, I’ll bring your drinks,” pleaded Terri.

"Don't come at me with an attitude when I've done nothing to you. Your best friend and I have an arrangement that is none of your damn business. Are we going to do this again?" Sami raised voice matched Katelyn’s.

"When you get bored with her and throw her away like the rest then go on to your next escapade, I will be the one who has to pick up the pieces. She is worth a lot more than being a side girl to fill in a time gap for you."

"It's just a little fun between two adults, you should try it sometime."

"I have fun with my fiancé thank you very much. Theresa had a lucky escape, I can only wish, and hope Tara has the same."

Sami clenched her jaw trying hard to bite her tongue, resisting to feed into anymore of Katelyn's drunken remarks. The heated confrontation had grabbed the attention of the other’s around them but neither of them cared as their eyes remained locked, daring and challenging one another,

“Terri, take her back to her table…please,” asked Sami,

Again, Katelyn pulled her arm away from Terri, “I’m perfectly fine, right where I am.”

She watched Sami’s clenching jaw, hoping it would release whatever the woman’s tongue was holding. Come on Sami, show me what you’re really like.

"Whoa...hey guys, what's the problem?" Zack interrupted as Sami threw her hands up,

 "She’s the one with the problem. I'm done. I'm going out for a smoke."

Zack’s expression turned to confusion as he watched Sami walk away and throw her bar towel into the stacked glasses under the hanging liquor bottles. The countless voices dimmed.

"Jesus Katelyn, what was that about?" He asked with noticeable disappointment in his voice.

Katelyn too threw her hands up in the air and walked away from him. Her body was shaking never had she reacted like that, never had someone’s words instigated her to say the things she did. She sat down next to her visibly concerned sister and best friend, grabbing Tara’s wine she drank the remains before meeting the concerned eyes that peered at her,

“I don’t want to talk about it, let’s just enjoy the rest of this night please.”

After a few minutes Sami returned feeling more relaxed and ready to get back to work immediately her glance shifting over to the ladies table as their laughter began to drown out the music in the background.

"What was that between you and Katelyn? It kinda got a little heated…" Zack asked bringing more empty glasses.

"She just...she's drunk." She said quietly, avoiding any eye contact with him. She was used to scorned women coming at her, well women she had slept with of course but Katelyn’s brash words got to her. Christ, what’s wrong with me?

“I’ve never seen her act like that before, something had to have been said for the both of you to storm off like that, Sam.”

“She said stuff I said stuff, it’ll all be fine in a couple of days. Stop worrying,” she reassured.

"Busy night?" A small voice asked. Sami looked over her shoulder to see a dark red headed woman leaning her elbows on the edge of the bar, smiling at her.

She walked over to the woman with a smirk, expressing her appreciation of the view in front of her. The confrontation with Katelyn… Soon forgotten. Just what she needed.

"What can I get you?"

"Whatever you recommend, I'm a lightweight so nothing too heavy. Then maybe after a few of those, your number?" A cheeky smile moved across the woman’s soft face.

"As you wish, ma'am." Sami replied before grabbing a pen from the cash register, and gently reaching for the woman’s hand, she lightly spread her palm open to write her name and number into the lightly trembling palm. The woman’s sudden nervousness amusing her, as usual.

Katelyn glanced over to catch Sami writing something on the red heads hand. The flirting she closely observed sparked her aggravation more so. She bit the inside of her cheek; she barely knew this woman and the sight of witnessing her escapades caused a knot in her stomach that she couldn't understand. Why did she even care? Maybe because it was her best friend Sami was involved with, maybe not. All through high school the guys Tara dated would cheat and she would give her friend a shoulder to cry on, she would never scorn them for their actions, she got on with it. Why was she beginning to almost resent her best friend? What the hell is wrong with me?

“I need some fresh air… I don’t feel so good.”

 

Zack locked the door behind the final patrons before playing the mellow mood of country from the jukebox. Nicole walked behind the bar grabbing a crate of beers from Sami’s clutch,

“Go get a seat, I got this.”

Sami smiled, “I’ll be with you guys in a minute. I just need to count tonight’s profits for Mick,” she replied stealing a cold one from the crate before taking a stool in front of the bar and opening the books.

Nicole turned to her brother. “Country? Really? This is supposed to be a party.”

“Shut it…There ain’t a darn thang wrong with some country.”

Katelyn smirked toward her brother’s sudden southern twang, “Are we allowed to do this?” she asked, taking a beer from her sister.

“Oh yeah, Uncle Mick lets us close up shop and hang out for as long as we want. Provided Sami works the bar for him,” she laughed.

“Hell, I’m not complaining,” stated Terri as she popped open Katelyn’s beer, handing it to her. Katelyn nodded her thank you before taking a small sip.

“What a night, I’m glad it’s over.” Explained Zack, swinging a seat next to Katelyn, leaning his chest against the back and popping the cap off his beer.

“I thought it was a pretty good night, but my question is…” Terri paused turning to Katelyn, “When will you ever dump that fiancé of yours and take me up on that date?” They all laughed.

Katelyn looked toward Tara, surprised to see her laughing lightly, “Um, correct me if I’m wrong but right before I left…didn’t I agree to go on a date with you, and you stood me up?”

Terri sat back in her chair throwing her arms up, “Oh come on! I broke my ankle.”

Katelyn couldn’t prevent her drunken giggle, “That was your chance to take me on a date, and you blew it,” she paused to look at Sami staring at her over her shoulder briefly, “You don’t get a second chance to date me, honey.”

“Hold on, you guys were nearly a thing?” Zack asked, his shock amusing his sisters.

Katelyn nodded, “Uh-huh, she very nearly had me.”

Terri slid her chair back pressing her palms together, “I can’t believe you’re doing this to me.”

Tara patted Terri’s back sympathetically, “You poor thing…” she stated through her giggle.

 

While they all sat there reminiscing and laughing, Katelyn glanced back and forth to Sami who kept her head in the takings book. She hadn’t said much to join in. Maybe it was her fault after their confrontation from earlier, although still slightly angry about it, she did feel bad that she was missing out. Lightly she nudged Nicole nodding toward a quiet Sami, “Try and get her over here, she’s missing all the fun,” she whispered.

Nicole agreed, “Hey Sami, come sit with us. Those can wait, you’re missing out on the embarrassing and what coulda’ been stories about Terri.”

Sami once again looked over her shoulder at them, “I really have to get this done.”

Billy waved his hand at her, “Don’t make me come over there. Come on, we’re laughing at Terri’s expense, what could be better than that?”

Sami smirked, shaking her head and reluctantly she slammed the book shut. They cheered playfully as she got off the stool, stretching and groaning along with her creaks.

“All right, what did I miss?” She asked, taking the beer being offered by Billy.

“Do you know I almost had the girl? That’s right, me…not you,” stated Terri, smirking.

Sami grinned, “Almost, doesn’t count.”

Katelyn tilted her head with a slightly embarrassed smile. “If you hadn’t gone skate boarding…you could’ve had…the girl,” Katelyn said slowly winking playfully. Her eyes soon tracing to Sami’s tired stare and held it right on her.

“Whatever, if it doesn’t work out with Mr. Perfect, I’m gonna come a knocking,” she paused, turning to Tara, “That is unless this one comes to her senses and drops Sami to be with me, officially, then I would be the one that got away, Katie,” Terri finished,

“Don’t tease,” replied Katelyn playfully.

Sami’s smirking lips pressed against her bottle, “Why are you always bringing me into things? I’m sitting here minding my business.”

“Because nine times out of ten you’re cock blocking me.”

Sami laughed, “My bad, I guess.”

“Tonight’s your lucky night, Terri. You can take me home this one time,” Katelyn interrupted.

“Wait, really?”

Katelyn laughed shaking her head, “My home, ass.”

Terri slouched taking a sip of beer. Sami clenched her jaw, although Katelyn was playing, that one small joke grinded a nerve. She had pretty much been ridiculed by this woman for her actions, but it was okay for her to playfully flirt with someone? Okay, maybe she slept with the women she flirted with, but Katelyn was engaged, right? Surely in the eyes of Mr. Jensen his daughter’s playful shenanigans would be frowned upon. She still had a bad taste in her mouth from earlier, Katelyn had gotten a reaction from her, and that was something she couldn’t quite let slide,

“And I play with people, huh?” Sami asked, interrupting the groups laughter.

Katelyn arched her brow, placing a narrowed glare on Sami’s semi smirk, “You want to go there again?”

Terri slid up on her chair, “All right ladies, round one was enough, no one wants to witness round two.”

“I’m just saying,” replied Sami,

Katelyn’s dry laughter filled the silence. “There is a huge difference between when I play with someone and when you play with someone.”

Sami sat forward but before she could say a word Tara wrapped her fingers around her arm, “Like Terri said, let’s not. I think it’s best you both just avoid any kind of conversation at this point. I think we can all agree on that.”

Katelyn looked around as everyone nodded slightly. Sami sat back in her chair. She moved a glare on Sami, who was doing the exact same. It was clear they got under each other’s skin and neither was willing to let it go. Sami was a challenge for her. She was un-readable, un-ethical, rude, and regardless what she did for her brother, at that moment she was someone Katelyn couldn’t stand being around without experiencing the worst kind of taste in her mouth.

 

 

  Nicole stared at her watch as two a.m. stared back at her, there she stood holding Katelyn’s hair back listening to her hurl into the restroom toilet.

"That’s right get it all out, it’s okay," she said reassuringly,

"I... I drank...far too much." Katelyn stated as she rolled the toilet paper in her hand, and stood to lean against Nicole,

"Richard cannot see me in this state, Nicole. What am I going to do?" She asked, wiping away the saliva from her lips.

"We will ask Zack if you can stay at his place tonight," replied Nicole, fixing her sisters hair.

"I don't want to stay at his apartment, boys are gross," pleaded Katelyn.

Nicole laughed before shrugging. "I'm all out of ideas my dear. You can’t stay at mine…I left my keys at the salon and I can’t get them until morning. Peter’s on his way to pick me up.”

Katelyn sighed as she walked out of the stall, placing her black heels next to the sink before washing her hands.

“We...could ask Sami, she has a spare room,” Nicole suggested as she held her sister’s shoulders, keeping her balanced.

“Oh God no. Not after the things we said to each other...she had the audacity to call me a princess! I’ve worked hard for everything I have!” Katelyn watched her sister’s growing smirk through the mirror,

“Well, dad paid for Yale...” Nicole replied as she stared in the mirror fixing her own hair.

“That’s not the point, it was rude! She is just rude,” snapped Katelyn,

Nicole shrugged off her sister’s comments, “Well, I like her, I think we might just have to agree to disagree.”

Katelyn glared at her sister’s reflection, “Oh God, you hated her a few hours ago and now you’re right back to having a thing for her.”

Nicole chuckled, “Yes, I was mad at her, but we’re fine now. As for having a thing for her? I wouldn’t say no if that’s what you mean. But even before the stupid oath Zack swore her to take...there were times we could have...but she didn’t even try. I’m kind of thankful for it of course because Lord knows my heart would have probably been shattered, and no it wouldn’t have been her fault it would’ve been mine like I said before.”

Katelyn looked at her sister admitting being slightly surprised at the fact Sami hadn’t even attempted to work Nicole into bed.

“You’re trying to tell me she never once tried to tempt you into bed with her?”

Nicole nodded. “I told you sister, nine times out of ten…it’s not her initiating things.”

Katelyn dropped her head. “I want to go home.”

There was a sudden sadness in her voice, and right there in that old dingy bar restroom she didn’t care how Richard would feel seeing the state she was in, she just wanted out. Away from there… Away from Sami... Or maybe away from the consistent thoughts of Sami.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 16

 

Katelyn sat contently on the cast iron bench under the hedge way arch in the yard as she watched the movers place her last possessions into her new Victorian home. She loved the balcony that hung from the French doors leading from her bedroom, giving her the perfect view of the tree tops that hugged the mountain faces. The original, varnished wooden floors captured her the most along with the dark varnished spiral staircase. She knew her mother would instantly fall in love with the woodcarvings that hung across the archways leading into her dining room from the front hall. She sighed lightly. She hadn’t spoken to or seen much of Sami since their eventful night at Micks, maybe for the fact that she avoided the parlor and bakery like a plague. She pretended to not care when Sami was brought up at last night’s family dinner. Typically, it was one of Nicole’s ruthless attempts of irritating her father, due to his refusal to listen or even acknowledge Zack when he would try and talk about how well the parlor was doing. Katelyn of course felt guilty for sitting in silence, but when Zack approached her before dinner, his plea for her to apologize, danced on her heart strings. She knew he adored Sami, but she had said some hurtful things... They both did.

Katelyn sighed heavily, deep down she was realizing she almost missed the woman who didn’t follow the rules that she was so accustomed to, and not to mention, annoyed her greatly. I was looking out for my best friend...she was so rude...so was I...

 Looking over toward Richard, she studied his pacing back and forth, clearly, he was having a heated conversation over the phone, and she knew she should have cared what was getting him so annoyed, but the truth was, she didn’t... And with the wedding date finally being set to four weeks from now she hadn’t even shopped for a dress or even had the desire to, purposely avoiding her mother’s relentless phone calls to set up a day and time. Although she had spoken to a few caterers she had yet set anything in stone. The dreaded knot that was instigated by the mere thought of her growing lack of enthusiasm for her upcoming wedding quickly loosened as Richard’s brash walk approached, anger written all over his face,

“So, our decorators can’t do the job. They are asking a ridiculous amount to paint just the upstairs!” He yelled. “These cockroaches, when they know you have money to spend, they will try and bleed you dry.”

 Katelyn linked her arm inside his, rubbing his forearm lightly,

“Stop stressing, they have bills to pay too, my love. I will ask my father if he knows anybody who can do it,” Katelyn said calmly.

Richard laughed lightly as he watched his wife-to-be act like she didn’t have a care in the world,

“Stop stressing? When do you ever tell me to stop stressing? That’s usually my job to tell you.” He pulled her into his side kissing the top of her head. Katelyn tapped his chest lightly before pulling away.

“I’m going to go out for a while, do you need anything?”  She asked, nervously fiddling with her car keys.

“Will you pick up my dry cleaning, and get those scones I like from that bakery in town? I swear I’m developing a slight addiction for them.” He asked.

Katelyn stared at him… taking in his beautiful blues before sighing as the ever-growing feeling of discontent settled in. She swallowed hard, a failed attempt to push whatever she was feeling… Or not feeling, away. The corner of her lip curved to fake a small smile,

“Okay fatty. I do believe you might have to cut back a little, you’re looking a little pregnant these days.” Katelyn tapped his hardened stomach playfully before leaving in his Lexus. What am I doing?

 

 

 

 "I can't believe I wrecked her...what am I going to do? My dad is going to KILL me!" Zack stressed as he stood over Sami, watching her sketch her latest tattoo for another client.

"Honestly I don't know how you managed to hit not just any car...but a parked car." Sami replied as a laugh ended her sentence.

"It's not funny...I'll never get another one like her, she was perfect...we were perfect together, what am I going to do?" A visibly frustrated Zack asked.

Sami put her pencil down giving him a hard stare. "Maybe you should get to work and earn some money to buy a new toy and pay to repair the car you damaged...just a thought," she advised.

Zack looked over his shoulder as the parlor door opened, "You aren't helping the situation Sami," he stated before greeting his sister.

Sami looked over, sighing lightly at the jump of her heart as her eyes rested on Katelyn.

 It had been easy to avoid the only woman to ever get under her skin. All it took was a simple time change to her bakery visits. The last thing she wanted or needed was to face the woman whose judgmental words struck a nerve inside her. Their confrontation had bothered her more than she liked to admit. She kept herself busy with any invitation from a few of the women around town. Did it take her mind off her best friend’s sister? Well…

"What situation?" Katelyn asked confused.

She looked over at Sami, instantly feeling an unnerving flutter erupt inside her.

A visibly punctured Zack fell onto his chair,

"I wrecked my car," his voice quiet.

"You did what?"

"Before you say anything! It wasn't my fault...kind of."

 "Kind of?" She questioned with an arched brow.

"He hit a car..." Billy replied as he spun around in his chair to face them, presenting a pleased with himself grin, "But it gets better."

Katelyn kept her glare at Zack, the left corner of her mouth raising with her brow,

"Well?"

"It was a parked car..." He explained, dropping his stare to the floor.

 "How the hell do you hit a parked car, Zachary!"

Zack sighed holding his head in his hands,

"I was trying to search for a station and took my eyes off the road for only a split second! Dad is going to kill me... I haven’t even given him the first month’s payment yet."

Katelyn nodded in agreement. "Well we can thank God nobody was hurt. As for dad, yes, he's going to go through the roof and possibly kill you...but if it's any consolation, I'll miss you."

She matched her grin with Billy’s as Zack leaned back in his chair throwing his hands up out of frustration. Katelyn’s eyes helplessly drifted to a leaning Sami as she worked so contently on another sketch. For a soon expected client she assumed.

"Wow, thanks, that's great...no really thanks guys, you’re both helping me in ways I never thought imaginable." Zack rolled his eyes, "What are you doing here anyway? Don't you have a house to unpack? A wedding dress to buy? A new car for your little brother?" Zack asked pressing his hands together in a praying pose.

Katelyn walked over tapping him on the head,

 "Not quite...I'm actually here to...talk to Sam..." She said quietly, before nervously swinging her arms behind her, and grasping her hands tightly, unsure of the anxiety that began building inside her.

Sami looked up toward her, before moving her eyes back to her sketch.

"What can I do for you Miss, Jensen?" Sami asked.

Katelyn bit the inside of her lip looking at both Zack and Billy,

"Alone, please."

Zack got up from his chair, "Sure, I have a coffee run and some errands to do anyway, I'll be back soon…” Zack gathered his things as Billy silently agreed to go with him.

She watched the door shut behind them and grabbed a chair, sliding it next to Sami,

"What's that you're drawing?" She asked getting a little closer to examine the sketch.

Just the traces of Katelyn's soft breaths against Sami’s ear, triggered the hairs on the back of her neck to stand up,

"It's uh... a Japanese warrior. The client loves Japanese style tattoos, so this is his next piece."

Katelyn's eyes admired the drawing but soon they helplessly drifted to the edges of the lips beside her, her heart beat unexpectedly skipping up into her throat, quickly she leaned back to correct herself, and cleared her throat softly,

"Sam... I, I wanted to say I was sorry...for the other night at the bar, I said some...really horrible things."

Sami looked up. Katelyn hoped her sincerity could be seen from the dark browns that traced her own. 

"It's...okay. It's water under the bridge," Sami lightheartedly replied, before resting her eyes back to her art.

Katelyn sighed with slight relief that her apology had so easily been accepted,

"I was drunk...I felt horrible afterwards and you didn't deserve that but thank you."

Katelyn's soft almost timid voice noticeably did something to Sami as she watched Sami’s eyes suddenly clamp shut for a split moment. What was that?

Sami turned to her, slowly leaning forward, she pressed her hand on Katelyn's, her attention abruptly taken by the sudden wave of electric that pulsed through her body. Without warning Katelyn pulled her hand away from the soft, mysteriously paralyzing touch. She tried to play it off by fixing her hair, a sad attempt she knew but whatever reaction Sami caused, had to be avoided…

"Katelyn...drop it. It's done. You have a lot more to be worrying about than a few regretted words between...friends..." Sami paused, clearing her throat, "They do say people always speak the truth when they're drunk. Maybe try to hold back…I don’t know if you know this but, I’m not a fan of fighting with you."

 "I have judged you when told countless times not to, I'm used to...certain rules. I guess I should be more open minded to...how others conduct their lives, and you’re right…I certainly don’t need to voice my opinions as I have been. It really is none of my business what...I mean, who you do, " Katelyn replied with a cheeky smile.

Sami released an amused smirk, "Touché, and thank you for coming here to say sorry," as their eyes stayed locked together Katelyn could feel the rapidly increasing beating of her heart pound against her chest. She swallowed hard trying to settle the growing throb,

"I... I better get back to work,” insisted Sami.

"Wait, that’s it?" Asked a surprised Katelyn.

"Was there something else?"

Katelyn slid her chair back a little as Sami’s ignorance became quite evident,

"You aren't going to apologize to me?" She asked,

Sami sat up oblivious to Katelyn’s question, "For...what exactly?"

Katelyn found herself giggling slightly, feeling like an idiot for expecting the same respect of receiving an apology,

"You said some really horrible things to me too! You called me a princess! And--" Sami held her hand up,

"Whoa, whoa. I was defending myself...you were the one who came into the bar with nothing but straight up attitude toward me...I did nothing to you but if it helps, I'm sorry if the things I said hurt your feelings."

 "You aren't apologizing because you want to, you feel you have to because I said something!" Katelyn stood up, "I don't even know why I thought coming here to apologize to you would make anything better. It's quite evident our expectations of a friendship are complete opposites. You're selfish and rude and..." Sami stood up with a grin that did nothing but increase Katelyn's anger, "You...you are so full of yourself. You have no compassion for other people’s feelings. God knows you have to be the most annoying person he put on this earth and I think it's best that we just avoid any attempt of a friendship at this point!" Katelyn yelled, becoming even more irate as she watched Sami's grin widen.

"Are you done?" Sami said calmly before gently grabbing Katelyn's elbows. "I am genuinely sorry for hurting your feelings. I didn't think my words hit you as hard as they did." She paused releasing a small laugh, "You have some crazy assumptions of me, I don’t know where they came from, but I can assure you I am none of those things, especially toward you or your family."

Katelyn couldn't ignore how close she and Sami were at that time, instantly she pulled herself away from the gentle grip and back down on the chair, daring to look up and meet the dark but welcoming stare that with each encounter, stalked her,

"I know it's none of my business but it’s the whole sleeping with my best friend and not dating her, and then I watch you openly flirt with other women...hurt them. Yes, not on purpose but..." Katelyn paused finally looking up at that gaze, "I guess I feel it’s…not right, you know? I mean I’ve been told about your activities regarding women by my own mother for crying out loud. I don’t want my best friend getting hurt. God look at Theresa, anyone could see she was madly in love with you...and she moved to another damn state to get away from you!"

She sighed, knowing a part of her was just trying to figure out the unexplainable annoyance that Sami's activities caused her. She was beginning to battle with the niggling thoughts that it wasn't the fear of Tara's feelings being hurt, but the fear of hers slowly growing inside. Sitting there and saying it out loud, she hoped that if she reminded herself out loud of Sami's escapades it would discourage her newly awakened senses and prevent her heart from the aching swell that each instance with Sami created.

Sami sat down in front of her, leaning forward again and effortlessly drawing Katelyn's eyes to rest on the piercingly peaceful dark gaze,

"Katelyn…I don’t want to be rude but, what I do with other women is my business. Tara and I have an arrangement, it’s fun and uncomplicated neither of us want a relationship with anyone, we want some occasional fun every now and then. You're being protective of your best friend and I get that. As for Theresa...yes, she may love me but me pretending to love her back would have just been cruel. I was and have always been honest about that. She is a very close friend who happens to have fallen in love with me...I'm not going to be cold toward her, I tried so hard to explain her love was wasted on me, I prayed that I would someday return those feelings, and I never did. So, I stuck around and listened to her heart break, I tried to be there to help her get over me. Katelyn I'm not a bad person." Sami pleaded, "Give me a chance to show you I’m not the heartless self-centered sonofa- that you think I am.” She paused, taking a deep breath, “Why don’t we say...I don’t know try to be friends, try not to judge me for certain things I do, and I won't judge you for being..." She paused, "A little Miss Prissy at times and then maybe even try to get to know me as your brother and sister do, hell I might be even crazy enough to say you might think I’m not so bad," finished Sami.

Sami’s soft-spoken words felt like almost warm honey moving through her ears. Katelyn watched the sincerity grow in Sami’s expression as she spoke, she knew Sami never cared what other’s thought of her, but she seemed so concerned to assure her she wasn’t how she saw her. But why? She quickly broke the holding eyes that trapped hers. Unable to ignore the side effects of Sami's low whisper, she leaned back in her chair unable to deny the simple pleasures of her racing heart that Sami's gentle whisper created.

"…friends?" Katelyn asked, pulling herself and her senses back together, scrunching her nose.

"Friends..." Sami agreed as she held her hand out for Katelyn to shake and she did just that, “I have one question, though…”

Katelyn arched a curious brow, “Uh-huh?”

“Why do you judge me for the things I do with other women around here, but you don’t even attempt to bat an eyelid toward Terri? Hell, you flirt back with her. Why do I get the hard time?”

Katelyn chewed the inside of her cheek, “I’ve known Terri for as long as I can remember. She’s always been that way, but the difference is, Terri wears her heart on her sleeve. She gets attached quickly…that’s why the women she does get don’t stick around because she wants more and at a pace that simply scares them away. Whereas with you…the women here practically swoon over you,” she paused, “And get hurt. You tell them to not develop feelings…you give terms and conditions. You have the potential to hurt Tara…she wouldn’t get hurt by Terri…”

Sami inhaled slowly, raising her brows, “Well, when you put it like that. I need you to know I don’t ever intend to hurt anyone, ever.”

Katelyn watched the pleaded stare and nodded,

“I know, but I also know that you are aware of the affects you seem to have and yet still continue to do what you do,” Katelyn replied.

Watching Sami drop her head, she knew Sami realized she hit the nail on the head but knowing what she knew about Sami’s past…she understood why she does what she does. It didn’t make it any more acceptable, but for right now she decided to attempt to let it go, if for anything, for Zack,

“Let’s give this friends thing a go, shall we?" Katelyn asked.

"Again..." Added Zack interrupting the two.

"My two-favorite people kissed and made up!" He cheered presenting coffees to them both.

Katelyn smiled taking the freshly brewed coffee.

"So, how's the new house and wedding plans going, we're all invited, right?" Billy asked leaning his back up against the cash register.

Katelyn's eyes shifted to Sami then back to him,

"As if Nicole wouldn't find a way to sneak you guys in," She laughed taking a small sip from her steaming coffee, "If I'm honest, I haven't done much...there's been so much with the house and... I’ve just been distracted..." She paused before setting her gaze onto Sami who returned it. Her heart jumped…

"Our um…decorators,” Katelyn quickly cleared her throat, thankful the gaze couldn't read her true thoughts, “They…cancelled because Richard didn't want to pay what they were asking."

Zack suddenly jumped up,

"Well...Sami and I can do your decorating. She's been painting Tara's cousin’s apartment."

Sami looked over at Zack scrunching her forehead in disbelief to his suggestion. Katelyn shook her head noticing Sami’s sudden dismay,

"I think dad has guys lined up." Katelyn lied before sipping again. Could she endure daily visits from Sami for hours on end? She doubted it. Unknown to everyone she preferred to keep Sami at arm’s length. A small guilty pleasure was beginning to grow inside her when it came to the tattooist, the eye locks and suggestive tones Sami would present playfully, effected Katelyn more than she liked to admit. It wasn’t the time to start playing with fire and giving into those pleasures… She had a wedding to plan and a new chapter in her life to write. Stick to the plan, don’t be like the others, Katelyn.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 17

 

Richard sat at his executive like desk that screamed grandeur, an engagement and welcome to East Pines gift from Arthur and Gwen. Katelyn leaned up against the doorframe observing his bright blues as they studied the details of the first high profile case offered to him by his future father in law.

"Still haven't decided yet, huh?" She asked, pushing off her lean and walking toward him.

He looked up leaning back in his chair,

"Not yet, your father tells me I should, but if I do, I can't help with the wedding plans, I’ll be swamped. Not to mention I’ll have to fly back and forth to Nevada." He looked at her. Sensing the desperation in his eyes. She walked behind him, grabbing his broad shoulders, and massaging them lightly.

"Take the case. We can postpone the wedding, if anyone can understand the opportunities being giving to you if you take this case, I can."

Richard shook his head,

"I can't possibly ask you to do that, sweetheart. It wouldn't be fair. Damn it, Katelyn Jensen you will be my wife."

He smiled whole heartedly at her and she wanted so badly to feel the same eagerness he showed but with each growing day, her excitement was disappearing. Maybe she just wasn't the wedding planning, dress shopping kind of woman. She knew she loved him, after all they had spent so many years together, they had grown together... It couldn’t have been all for nothing. He took care of her, he made her laugh, he was loyal, of course out of this world handsome, but still her heart would remain dormant every time he tucked her under his arm when they laid together, until her mind would wander to the tattooist wondering who she was sharing her bed with as she shared hers with her fiancé.

"Well think on it before you set anything in stone."

She kissed the top of his head before leaving his office. Her stomach churning as that all too familiar dread of discontent settled in. Desperately she fought with her heart and head, telling herself it was just nerves. Everybody goes through it... Right? The second thoughts? The sickening knot at the mere thought of marriage? Her thoughts soon interrupted by her cell phone vibrating against her marble kitchen top, her eyes shifting to the caller I.D then a small smile appearing,

"What do you want?" She answered playfully.

"So, listen I have an idea I want to run past you and--"

 "Oh God, Nicole," Interrupted Katelyn.

"Oh, hush! I’ve talked to everyone and we are all in agreement about going to Cedar falls this weekend, what do you think?"

"The lake house? God, I haven't been there since we were kids," She explained.

"I know! Which is why it would be the perfect time to go. We have a few weeks of fall then winter will be here before we know it, let's make the best of what warm weather we do have. We can have a cookout, bring some drinks in a few coolers, bring some music, and ourselves!"

Katelyn bit the inside of her lip contemplating, "I don't know; I have a case coming up. I have the wedding..."

 "Stop making excuses, it's just one weekend," explained Nicole.

 "I know but..."

 "Don’t worry, Mister, Richard Hellaboring is invited too!" Nicole snapped.

“Oh, stop Nicole. He is not boring; he loves his work and…”

“Katelyn…he’s boring.” Nicole’s dry tone interrupting her.

"Well, who else going?" Katelyn asked, she wasn’t going to get into a debate with her sister, knowing all too well it would have been pointless.

"The usual gang of troublemakers, me, you, Zack, Tara, Sami, Billy, Peter, Terri the girl Jackie I work with... that’s it, oh, and Richard." Nicole finally finished.

"That’s it?” Katelyn’s sarcasm sparking an annoyed groan from Nicole, “I don't know; I’ll have to think about it."

Katelyn traced her finger back and forth over her chin as the thoughts of being in Sami’s presence all weekend kick started her once silent heart. She knew she enjoyed the thought of her company, and they really hadn’t had the time to establish the new-found friendship they had both agreed on, "I’ll ask Richard and call you back."

"Okay" Nicole replied annoyed, "Hurry!" She demanded before hanging up.

Katelyn bit down on her bottom lip tapping her phone lightly against her chest. A small excitement filling her as she made her way to Richard’s study.

 "Honey, that was Nicole on the phone...she wanted to know if we would like to go to the lake house this weekend." She explained to him, hopeful he would want to go.

"I'm sorry sweetheart, I can't. I have that thing with your father and Judge Stone on Saturday, remember?" Katelyn sighed,

"I’m sure they can set up another dinner date, this is my father, everyone runs on his time. Please? You can work there; we have a lake house with Wi-Fi!" She added enticingly. Richard leaned back in his office chair smiling.

"I guess I could cancel with your father and tell him we are taking some time for ourselves...call her back and tell her yes."

Yes, a weekend away... A weekend with Richard he would keep her occupied. She was sure this weekend is what they needed. She needed. They hadn't spent much time alone since coming to East Pines. She was certain this would help them reignite the dying flame she had been dwindling on. This is what they needed... A couple of days just them, the lake, and some wine. Perfect.

 

Nicole hung up her phone before plopping herself lazily on Sami's black leather recliner with an expression that showed little to no enthusiasm,

"Great!"

Sami recognized Nicole’s sarcasm, "I take it she can’t make it."

 "Oh no, she's coming." Nicole paused, pulling her tiny pocket mirror from her bag.

 "So... what’s the problem?" Sami asked, now confused.

"So is the excitable and fun, Richard!" More sarcasm seeping through Nicole's words.

Sami couldn’t help but let out a small laugh as she got up, going to the fridge, "It won't be so bad, cheer up."

"He might be very nice to look at but Christ the man could bore drying paint," Nicole replied.

Sami shook her head as a hearty laugh escaped, "I’m sure he’ll lighten up after a few drinks, your sister too," she insisted before throwing Nicole a bottle of water.

 "I highly doubt it and let’s face it, you're never her favorite person when she gets her hands on some vodka,"

"What's that supposed to mean?" Sami asked as she sat on the bay by the window intrigued at Nicole’s bold statement.

"Don't tell me you've forgotten about that night at the bar...I don't know what you said or even did but she wasn't your biggest fan," Nicole winked.

Sami arched her eyebrow, "Don't worry about all of that. Like I told you before, it's sorted. This friendship might actually work."

"I hope so; my sister has always insisted her opinions be heard. Just like my darling father."

"Yeah, don't I know it."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 18

 

Sami packed the last of the coolers in the bed of her truck slamming the tail gate, and dusting her hands off,

"All right, I think that's everything," she said looking at her watch,

 "Let's go!" Cheered Zack as he hung out of the back-passenger side window of her truck.

 Nicole walked over, "We’re still waiting on...never mind here they are finally," Nicole explained as Richard and Katelyn pulled up.

Katelyn got out, making her way to them in her light denim shorts and white tank top, her long brown hair waving naturally from the light breeze. It was a beautiful day, only a handful of clouds masked the bright blue sky, she scrunched her nose as the sun rays stalked her through the cool breeze.

"Sorry we're late, Richard needed help with packing," stated Katelyn pushing her sunglasses on top of her head.

Nicole crossed her arms, "Uh-huh. Are we ready to go now?"

Katelyn could do nothing but smile at her sister’s usual impatience.

Zack got out of Sami’s truck toward Katelyn before hugging her, his smile big and she couldn’t help but match it. Sami patted him on the back as she nodded toward Katelyn with a welcoming smile,

"Hey Sam..." Katelyn said quietly as Richard walked up placing his arm over her shoulder.

"It's so nice of you both to finally join us," yelled Tara playfully as she hung out of the passenger side window of Sami's mud stained truck. Katelyn found she could barely muster even a half-enthused wave before playfully blowing Billy a kiss who returned it,

"See you guys at the lake,” stated Katelyn.

 

"Take a left down here." Katelyn directed Richard,

A small comforting sigh escaped her as her light browns set on the cedar home deep in the spruce woods. All her childhood memories of her father dunking her and her siblings in the serene lake as their mother prepared lunch out on the deck consumed her. Happy memories… Peaceful memories. A small sadness masking her happiness, realizing that they hadn’t made many memories or even had the opportunity to since. She had been away nearly a decade; she knew it was for a good reason but the lost time… She would never get back. Quickly Katelyn was stolen from her trance as Richard grabbed her elbow lightly, she looked over at him as concern looked back,

“Sweetheart are you okay?”

Katelyn nodded slowly, pressing a half smile against her cheek,

“Yes, I just haven’t been here in so long. My parents... The memories…”

She studied Richard as he took her hand and kissed it, “And we will make some more.”

 

Sami's gaze locked onto the beauty in front of her. She watched as the undisturbed lake mirrored the tree tops and the now cloudless sky like a flawless painting from Mother Nature at her finest.

"Now this...this is life goals, my friend," she explained to Zack before pulling her truck into the gravel driveway.

"I used to love coming here when I was a kid, this was the place that made our family feel like a real family."

Sami slid her sunglasses to the end of her nose as the perfect cedar lake home in front of her neared.

Pulling up, she got out of her truck, stretching, and groaning through every joint that awakened with a crack as both Billy and Zack opened the tail gate to start unloading the key ingredients for the weekend, an endless supply of whiskey, vodka, and of course not forgetting the lemons donated by Mick. She inhaled the blissful aroma of fresh pine. The scent of the lake quickly bringing back the memories of the fishing trips she would take with her father many moons ago.  She threw the memory from her mind before answering Zack’s plea to help him bring the coolers into the lake house, her eyes instantly widening as they rested on the beautiful home.

The solid pine pillars strategically placed as to not block any view of the open plan design. The stone and pine fireplace with carvings of oak leaves and acorns took center stage. The hard-wooden floor complimenting the beige coated sectional in the middle of a room with twenty-foot vaulted ceilings. The floor to ceiling windows presenting an open view of the tree line and bright blue sky surrounding them.

With Zack’s help they made their way further into the open plan Cedar home. Sami’s already disbelief stare was met by the enticing kitchen, instantly she admired the pine counter tops and beech wood cupboards, along with the stainless-steel stove and double door fridge-freezer. Looking ahead she noticed the French double doors leading to a porch, she could only imagine the beauty that would be presented from the Cliffside the home was perched on. Gently she placed her hands on the golden handles, opening the double doors slowly. Stepping out, she made her way toward the edge. She leaned against the guard rail overlooking the waterfall below, only a short distance away. Sami closed her eyes and listened attentively to the rapid water in the distance as it smashed itself against the rocks beneath it, not a sound many would be accustomed to, but it eased her, inhaling deeply she stood there silently with a cushioned smile and took it all in,

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Nicole asked, lightly resting her head against Sami's shoulder,

"I've never seen a place so stunning in my life," Sami explained,

"Ahhh, that pine smell never gets old. It always reminds me of Christmas when I'm here." Nicole replied.

Sami laughed a little as Nicole took the words right out of her mouth,

"That's exactly what it reminds me of."

 

Katelyn walked into the kitchen with the remaining things from the back of Sami's truck, lightly placing them onto the pine wood top breakfast bar she looked back at Richard carrying their bags through,

"Sweetheart, you never told me how beautiful this place was."

She held her hand out to him. “Come, I want to show you something.”

She bit her lip with excitement as she walked him through the already opened French doors and onto the porch. Unexpectedly she was met by Nicole and Sami as they leaned against the guard rail, huddled closely... She rested her hand on Nicole's back with Richard in tail,

"Look..."

She watched Richard’s stare move over the waterfall, his smile noticeably forced.

"It is beautiful, sweetheart but that noise would drive me crazy. How could you ever get any work done with that noise?"

Sami said nothing even though she disagreed, but she wasn't surprised when Nicole opened her mouth,

"Are you kidding me? That sound is angelic," snapped Nicole before Katelyn poked her in the side,

"Hush you, everybody is entitled to their own opinion," Katelyn stated as Nicole rolled her eyes,

"It's not my fault his opinion is wrong."

Katelyn couldn’t ignore Sami’s smirk, but silently appreciated her saying nothing and grabbing Nicole’s arm,

"All right feisty… Let's go inside and help with the rest of the stuff."

Katelyn looked over her shoulder as Sami pulled Nicole toward the house, "I brought everything else in,"

"Thanks. I have to get the grill started anyway…"

 Katelyn couldn’t help but match the warm smile being offered by Sami before turning her glance back to the waterfall, once again taking in the aromas and sounds of her childhood.

 

  Zack walked toward Sami with the seasoned burgers and placing them on the table next to the grill, before bestowing a much-needed beer. Clinking their bottles, they both took equally long sips of the ice-cold ale. Nothing had been packed away, everybody was too interested in getting out into the lake. Unpacking could be done tomorrow they all agreed.

Sami watched Nicole, Tara and Jackie laying on their towels, soaking up as much sun as they could before it got dark.

"So, I think I'm going to try my charms on Jackie tonight," stated a confident Zack.

Sami laughed, "Your charms huh?" She asked sarcastically,

"Hey, I got the charms bro. You'll see."

Sami nodded with an increased smirk, "Looking forward to it," she replied placing the burgers onto the readied grill,

"Katie, come here."

"What's wrong?"

"Oh, nothing I was telling Sami here, I'm gonna use my charms on Jackie tonight and Sa--" Katelyn's laughter stalled him.

Lightly she pressed her fingers over her mouth, "Sorry...I don't know what came over me."

Zack looked over, his expression anything but amused, "You guys will see, watch and learn ladies."

The two did as they were told and watched as Zack made his way to the girls bathing in the sun.

"This should be fun,” said Sami, eager to be entertained.

"I have to admit; I did miss my brothers flirting fails. If anything, you really should've taught him how to flirt properly."

Sami smirked, "I didn’t realize my flirting was all that great, but thanks for the heads up."

Katelyn shook her head as a smile crept against her cheek, "Your flirting would never work on me, honey."

"Is that a challenge?"

Katelyn's infectious laughter pulled a grin from Sami, "Sorry isn't there an oath about such things?"

Sami nodded, "Thanks for reminding me, I almost forgot."

Sami winked, her attention moving to the burgers.

Katelyn nudged her lightly, she wasn’t afraid of showing her enjoyment of the playfulness between them. She knew it was perhaps… Dangerous to let it happen but when she was alone with the tattooist… She couldn’t quite help herself. Harmless fun… That’s all.

 "Where's Richard? I haven’t seen much of him since the porch fiasco with Nicole. I hope she didn’t scare him away."

"He's in our room...he has a case that if he chooses to take, it could be a really big deal, so he has to...you know how it is."

"I get it. He’s got to do what he's got to do," replied Sami,

Katelyn smiled softly. "Thank you."

Sami moved the lid from the now sizzling burgers,

"For?" Sami asked, flipping each burger carefully.

Katelyn shrugged, before sending another light nudge, but purposely making sure her eyes stayed on the bathing bodies ahead,

"You could've commented about him working on a vacation weekend, you also could've commented about him thinking the sounds of the waterfall are distasteful, but you didn't."

Katelyn fought as hard as she could but finally submitted to meet Sami’s dark but sincere gaze.

“How do you know I don’t agree with him?” Sami asked

Katelyn smirked. “I might not know a whole lot about Sami Wilson, but I think I know you appreciated it…like most of us do.”

Sami shrugged leaving an impressed grin. "He is who he is...it's none of my business. After all you're the one marrying him, not me."

They both held the uninterrupted gaze as laughter poured from the group at the lake. Katelyn shut her eyes, purposely breaking from Sami’s darks,

"You okay over there?" Sami asked,

"Fine, why?"

"Just asking."

 Katelyn widened her eyes, as she forced a smile. Sami was right, she was marrying him... Richard. Where had her excitement gone? Where had her eagerness to drown herself in dresses and flowers gone? She prayed this weekend would help her get back to the eager to get married woman she was before coming back to East Pines.

"You sure?"

Katelyn nodded, "Fine, honest."

Sami raised a doubtful eyebrow, “Okay, I won’t push the subject.”

"So... how’s Tara?" Katelyn asked attempting to change the more consistent, yet uninvited thoughts,

"She's okay I guess, she's excited for this weekend."

Sami glanced over toward the group as the shrills of laughter increased,

“And how are you guys doing? I mean, the arrangement..."

Sami nodded slowly, purposely keeping her eyes on the browning burgers,

"Doing good, still happening."

Katelyn sensed Sami was intentionally keeping her answers short, probably to avoid an agonizing argument, she thought.

“Not judging by the way… see, we can talk about…Sami escapades.”

“I think I’m okay with you being a friend that I don’t talk to about my escapades,” suggested Sami as her smirk grew.

"Thank God. Well, I'm going to go sit with the girls, talk later?" Katelyn asked realizing she was perfectly okay not talking to Sami about Tara, not that she wasn’t interested in her new friend’s personal life, but truth be told she found herself unable to stomach the conversation.

"Enjoy."

 Katelyn walked away, Sami’s eyes soon followed to admire Katelyn in her tank top and ripped denim shorts. Damn. Swiftly her attention was taken by the excessive sizzling burgers.

 

 Sami grabbed the bottles of sauces placing them under her arm as she balanced a tray of burgers cushioned in their buns on her forearm. Tara jogged lightly to Sami the smell of the burgers lingering through the fresh air,

"Here let me take some of those."

Sami handed her a tray as they made their way to the hungry group chilling by the fire pit right by the lakeside.

"All right guys chow down before they get cold."

Sami took a seat on the camp chair that was reserved for her by Zack.

 He shoved what could have easily been half of the burger in his mouth before letting out a satisfied moan,

"Damn, these are good," stated Zack between chews.

Richard wiped the remainder of his burger from the corner of his mouth before placing his paper plate on the log next to him.

"I have to say Sami, that was probably one of the best burgers I've ever had, and I've paid a lot of money for some good burgers," he laughed.

Sami smiled noticing the slight force behind it, "It's all about the meat, not the cook," she replied.

"Ah, and a humble cook at that."

He raised his bottle to her before taking a long sip.

"She's pretty great at everything she does," announced Tara deliberately keeping her gaze down on her half-eaten burger.

Katelyn’s attention from the crackling fire and delicious burger was soon interrupted by Tara's comment. She looked up in Sami's direction and watched as Tara’s fingertips brushed the inked forearm of Sami as they shared a short intimate stare. The knot in her stomach grew. God, what is that? Right at that moment Katelyn made the executive decision to numb the sudden unexplainable nausea that pursued and asked Nicole to bring the hard stuff out.

"It's about darn time sister! Sami where did you hide the liquor, my dear?" Asked Nicole.

 "I'll go grab them, I have to go back to the house anyway," Sami replied, raising herself from her chair before stretching, her shirt lifting to reveal a small trace of her bronzed stomach. For a moment Katelyn couldn’t break away her fixated eyes and unknowingly, she bit the inside of her lip,

"Contemplating something Sister?" Nicole asked as Sami walked away.

"No... I, I'm ready to feel a buzz, after all it is supposed to be a party, right?"

Nicole smiled wide, "There's the sister I deeply missed!"

"I wish I could be a part of the shenanigans that are about to take place but unfortunately I have work that needs to be done," announced Richard before finishing his beer.

 

 

  Sami babied the three bottles of whiskey and the two bottles of vodka, between her arms as she walked back to her friends by the fire.

"Thanks for the burger Sami, but I must leave you all and get some work done."

She gave Richard a small smile,

"You're welcome. When you’re ready to take a break, I’ll have a bottle of Jack on ice with your name on it,” Sami insisted.

Richard laughed lightly before squeezing a huddling Katelyn closer to him, “I’ll keep that in mind,” he paused looking down at a smiling Katelyn, “Okay, enjoy yourself sweetheart. I promise tomorrow we will go for a small hike.”

Katelyn’s smile grew as Richard pressed his lips against hers softly before leaving her with the rest of them. She took in a content inhale, watching him, her fiancé, walk back to the lake house. He was everything she had ever wanted in a partner. Strong, successful, caring, smart… Katelyn shoved her bottom lip back in her mouth. He’s perfect… What is wrong with me!

Nicole jumped up to grab a bottle from Sami's grasp,

"Let the games begin!" Yelled Nicole, unscrewing the bottle of ice-cold vodka, and taking two hardy swallows.

Sami placed the remaining bottles down in the cooler by the fire pit before sitting down and leaning back to grab a fresh bottle of beer in the cooler beside her. Billy raised his bottle to her with a smile before taking a seat next to her,

 "Too early for the hard stuff huh?"

 Sami smiled sending a nod Billy’s way agreeing silently. Katelyn leaned in taking one of the bottles of vodka, unscrewing it and drinking it like it was almost water. Sami’s brows raised as she watched on admittedly impressed to see Katelyn wasn't holding back from enjoying herself regardless if Richard was around.

She wiped her mouth with her forearm, pausing as the vodka warmed her throat and chest. Her glance catching a staring Sami as she placed the bottle into the reaching hand of Billy.

"Cheers." Katelyn announced keeping her stare with Sami locked.

And there it was, the small guilty pleasure that the woman's dark stare would bring. Breaking away she prayed the vodka would numb her sudden frustrations at the woman who hadn’t done a thing wrong. Well there was the small issue of the growing side effects she had unknowingly created inside of Katelyn which wasn't something she was used to or at all comfortable with. Don't be like the others.

Billy thumped his chest as the vodka burned through him, Sami shook her head grinning slightly at her friend’s pain,

“Better?” she asked,

He nodded, “Much. But listen on a serious note before I get completely wasted, I never got to thank you for giving me a chance to work for you and Zack, and for kicking my ass into gear…literally. You didn’t judge me about my past with drugs either. There aren’t very many people like you around here, and I’ll forever be in debt to you. You might not know it, but you saved my life.”

Katelyn smiled warmly as Billy spoke. As warm as his words were, she couldn't help but notice Sami avoid any kind of eye contact with him as she picked at the corner of the paper on her beer bottle. Katelyn narrowed her eyes as Sami’s stand-offish stature seemed to be quite peculiar.

“You owe me nothing. I give everyone one chance to fuck up, you fucked up…now it’s time to move on and learn from it. We all have a past. That’s where it needs to stay,” replied Sami before taking a long drink from her beer. Both Billy and Katelyn stared at each other.

“I agree…” he said quietly before taking another swig of vodka and passing it back to a quiet Katelyn.

She watched Sami get up and hand her beer to Billy,

“Here, that’ll help with the burn. I’m gonna go collect some more wood for the fire, make sure none of them drown while I’m gone. I’ll be back soon.”

Billy grinned, sipping lightly at the offered beer. Katelyn shifted further down the camper chair before closing her eyes. She had no intention on joining the rest of them by the lake. The fire pit, vodka and the serenity of the cicadas that filled the oncoming night’s sky was all she wanted. A sudden purposeful cleared throat forced her eyes to open to Sami towering her with a reached out open palm,

“You coming?”

Katelyn sat up, “To go get wood?”

She couldn’t help the unimpressed tone. She was comfortable and certainly didn’t feel like digging through leaves and dirt for wood,

“No, to help me search for the body of that woman that went missing in these parts a few years back.”

Katelyn rolled her eyes, as Billy let out a chuckle.

“What? Are you too afraid of getting some dirt under those manicured nails of yours?” Sami asked with a cushioned smirk that did nothing but annoy a once comfortable Katelyn.

She grabbed the arms of the camper chair to prop herself up, before purposefully pushing passed the palm that offered to help her up,

“I’ll show you manicured,” she mumbled.

Sami smirked and winked toward Billy before catching up to a fast-paced Katelyn as she walked toward the edge line of the woods,

“In a rush?”

Katelyn turned to a slightly out of breath Sami, “Who wouldn’t be in a rush to get dirt under their manicured nails?”

Sami laughed lightly, “I was kidding around; you need to learn to lighten up some.”

“It seriously irks me that you think I’m a princess,” Katelyn snapped, “Just because I come from a good living family and went to Yale doesn’t mean I don’t like to get my hands dirty,” Katelyn finished before bending down to grab some small broken branches.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to hit a nerve,” replied Sami quietly.

Katelyn turned back to Sami as she too collected some wood,

“Yes, you did. It’s what you do…it’s all you ever do.”

Sami looked up at her, “Do you have something you want to get off your chest?” Sami asked, rubbing the dirt from her hands onto her basketball shorts.

“I’ve said all that I needed.”

“Okay. Well, I don’t intentionally say things to you to get you pissed. It was a joke, like you joke with me. I don’t think you’re a princess…a Miss Prissy, yes…a princess not so much,”

Katelyn rolled her eyes to Sami’s daring grin before going back to picking up more small branches.

The two of them spent a few minutes in silence, picking through the roughage before grabbing enough wood to keep the fire going for at least half way through the night. Katelyn turned to Sami showing off her nails,

“Is that enough dirt, boss?”

Sami laughed at the sass, “I guess it’ll do…you ready to head back?” Sami asked, looking as the sun slowly began tucking itself behind the mountains in front of them.

Katelyn nodded, before sitting on a downed log from a storm she was sure. She placed the gathered wood by her feet,

“Yeah, give me a minute, I think I have a splinter.”

Sami walked over, dropping her wood on top of Katelyn’s before taking a seat next to her to grab the hand Katelyn was nursing,

“Let me have a look.”

Katelyn dared to pull away as Sami’s nail pushed closer on the tightly tucked splinter,

“Yeah, she’s in there good. No pain, no gain, right?” Sami asked, her soft smile causing Katelyn’s small smile to creep out.

“All right, I’m gonna just squeeze this bad boy out. Under one condition….”

Katelyn arched her brow to Sami’s suspicious tone,

“I swear to God, if you come out with some kind of inappropriate innuendo, I’ll slap you.”

Sami suddenly burst out into a laughter, “Well damn I was gonna say the condition was, regardless how painful it was you can’t slap me….”

Katelyn rushed her hand to her mouth, “I’m an idiot,” she stated placing her face behind her hand to cover her sheer embarrassment,

Sami took her hand, still laughing. Katelyn slowly opened her eyes, still shuddering from her embarrassment,

“I’m sorry…” Katelyn whispered.

Sami looked at her with a grin, “All right, you ready?”

“As ready as I’ll ever be….”

Katelyn tensed up as the sharp pain suddenly increased. She bit down on her lip praying Sami would hurry up and make it go away, and just as her prayer ended Sami had answered it. She opened her eyes as a relief washed over.

Sami reached out her palm to show the splinter. “There you go…done.”

Katelyn’s eyes fixated on the tiny splinter. She was sure it should’ve been longer than that. She couldn’t help but question her lack of a pain threshold right then,

“Thank you,” she said softly.

“It was nothing. I’ll pour some vodka on it when we get back. When you go back to your room tonight get Richard to sterilize it better.”

Katelyn nodded, “He’s a brilliant lawyer, but I’m not so sure about his first aid skills. I’ll have one of the girls do it,” stated Katelyn as she rubbed the dirt from her palm onto her jean shorts.

“I doubt they’ll even recognize what a band aid is when they’re done tonight. If they can’t help you, knock on my door, it’ll take five minutes.”

“I’ll be fine, if worse comes to worst, I’ll do it. The last thing I want to do tonight is interrupt anything between you and Tara… that would be terribly embarrassing,” replied Katelyn quietly,

Sami shook her head with a small smirk, “Don’t worry about all of that. If you need any help, you know where I am.”

Katelyn turned her head to look at Sami, “I’m pretty sure I can take care of it from here, doc.”

Part 4

Author's Page

Back to the Academy