Chapter 39

 

"There you go." Jordan said smiling as she pulled the chair out for Katelyn to sit down.

"Thank you." Katelyn replied returning the smile.

She admitted she was nervous, she had never really been on an official date before Richard and their first date was a weekend away in Paris, this was her first "normal" date. The typical restaurant scene, a pleasant meal followed by countless hours of talking, that was her expectation. She couldn’t deny that Jordan was very attractive and the type she was used to catching her eye, from her thick, ear length hair with a naturally bleached tone and windswept appearance that flashed the kindest blue eyes, her golden skin and athletic figure didn’t hurt Katelyn’s subtle lust either.

"Hello ladies and welcome, I’m going to be your waiter tonight. Can I start you both off with some drinks?" Katelyn looked up at the young college kid. She smiled,

"Um, I think I’ll have a vodka tonic please," she replied, fixing her very formal black dress over her knees.

"I’ll have your finest red please," added Jordan with a charming smile that revealed her perfect pearly whites.

"This place is beautiful, isn’t it?" Asked Katelyn trying to start a conversation with the usually confident Jordan who seemed to be quite nervous too. It eased her to say the least.

"Yes, it is, it’s been so long since I’ve been back to town, I used to vacation here, but I still struggle to remember this place," replied Jordan, grabbing the glass of water in front of her, her subtle shaking hands catching Katelyn’s attention. She pushed a small smile against the corner of her mouth, it had been a while since witnessing someone being nervous around her.

"Yes, my brother was telling me it hasn't been around long. May I ask what brought you to East Pines?" Katelyn asked. As much as she enjoyed the timid demeanor being displayed, she didn’t want to be too cruel, so she pushed a distraction question.

"Well I just got a position at the fire department. I’m renting a place up in Chalking Grove until I get my finances right and finally buy a place out here. I take it you live here?" Jordan’s eyes raised as the waiter arrived with their drinks.

Katelyn nodded, "Yes, born and bred here, I recently just came back. After getting my law degree at Yale, I became an Associate at a very respectable firm, I decided to stay there for a few years, they gave me Junior Associate. After that my father pleaded even more so for me to come work for him, so here I am. A firefighter, huh?" Katelyn cocked an eyebrow… Yet another box ticked. She smiled into herself.

Jordan cleared her throat, “Yes, for the past five years. I love the job, the risks…”

Katelyn nodded, running her fingertip along the edge of her glass. “I couldn’t imagine putting myself at risk like that. I went to high school with a few of the guys at the fire department, the stories they’ve told…it gives me chills.”

Jordan pressed a humble smile against her cheek. “The risks are worth it. I couldn’t imagine doing anything else…but enough about me, so Law you say? That must be an interesting line of work?"

Katelyn laughed as she took a sip from her vodka tonic, "It can be, I love it, but with my father owning the firm, I guess I got it easy."

"Not at all, you had to put the hard work in to obtaining the degree, not to mention making junior associate for a completely different firm…that’s all you." Jordan smiled softly.

"That’s very true. Thank you."

Katelyn cleared her throat before the waiter made his way back to them to take their order. She was pleased to know Jordan didn't think she had everything she accomplished handed to her, unlike someone else with her 'princess' comments. Stop thinking about her.

 

***

 

Sami reached out to her clearly nervous sister as she prepared for her performance,

“Christ Don… Will you relax, you’re making me nervous now.”

Donna took in a deep breath. “Sami, I don’t know any of these people…at least back home when I sang the locals knew me so shit, even if I was bad, they would still be nice and raise a glass.”

Sami released a small laugh, “Stop doubting yourself…you’re a damn Wilson, we rock. Don’t forget that.”

Donna nudged lightly into her.

"You’ve got this; you’ll knock them dead…well you better, my reputation is kind of on the line here." Sami joked while Donna finished tuning her guitar.

"Good pep talk," She replied sarcastically. "Okay get back to work before Mick hits you on the back of the head for talking instead of serving."

Sami agreed to help Mick at the bar, he was once again short on staff. Tara was running late so Zack ran around like a blue assed fly putting seats into place for the bars first ever live performance.

"Okay, that’s about as much seats as I can fit guys," Zack stated as he wiped the sweat from his forehead.

"It looks great, thanks Zack," replied Donna, placing her guitar carefully in its case before looking at her watch,

"It’s nearly time!" She shrieked as the seats began filling.

"You are going to do awesome Don, even if you suck, I’ll still cheer," replied Zack with a wink.

Donna hit him playfully on the arm, "Don’t make me more nervous than I already am!"

Zack turned to the other side of the bar noticing Sami knocking back her third glass of whiskey. He had noticed a change in her since she’d been back. When it came to other women... There were none. Throughout all the years he had known her, the absence of a woman under her arm was something he certainly wasn't used to. Grabbing a glass from under the bar he sprayed water, placing a few ice cubes in it and he took it to her.

"Hey, why don't you try a glass of this?" He smiled softly, placing the water in Sami's other hand before taking the newly poured glass of whiskey out of the other.

She smiled before putting the water on the bar behind her.

"Want to tell me who she is?"

Sami looked up at him oblivious to his question,

"Come one Sami...you haven't been yourself in weeks. No random women, no Tara...I have yet to see you lip syncing with that pretty Laurie girl."

Sami dropped her gaze from his,

"I just haven't been in the mood. I'm embracing the idea of celibacy."

"Oh please, don't give me that. We’ve been best friends for too long, I know you. Has somebody finally broken through that steel posterior of yours also known as your heart?" He asked with a small amused smile lowering his eyes to catch Sami's. For the first time, he saw a pain in the bloodshot eyes of his best friend, he swallowed hard at the sudden revelation,

"Jesus Sam... someone got in?"

Sami said nothing and grabbed the water,

"Talk to me...do I know her?"

Sami shook her head unable to say a word as she swallowed the thought of him being not so interested if he knew it was Katelyn.

"You don't know her," she whispered her lie.

“I know everyone here…” He trailed.

Sami swallowed hard. “She used to vacation here a lot…we met back up when I left.”

"Sami this is huge. Wait, are you falling, or have you already fallen?"

She shut her eyes as the reminder of how she felt left a throbbing ache against her chest,

"I've fallen. But don't get too excited it’ll never happen, unfortunately my past rap sheet with women..." Sami sighed.

Zack nodded. "Gone and messed it all up huh?"

Sami nodded slowly as she stared down into her reflection from the water she held,

"I'm sorry Sam. Hell I can't believe someone got in. Shit, with all the gals around here you’ve slept with…why her?"

Sami looked at him clenching her jaw. "We haven't slept together. It's not even like that…she’s, can we just drop it? Donna's about to start," replied Sami before taking in a deep breath, as she tried to push the hurt from her throat.

"You haven't even slept with her? Damn you do have it bad."

"I would even go as crazy to say committing to her wouldn't have fazed me in the slightest."

Zack clutched his friends’ shoulder as he listened to her for the first time, talk about her feelings to him.

"Are you telling me she could’ve been the one?"

Sami gave him a small chuckle.

"Maybe."

Sami's small almost embarrassed smile turned Zack's gaze into a sympathetic one. He didn't know what else he could say to his hurt friend; all he could do was hold her and that's exactly what he did.

"She's a fool, if she truly knew you Sam, she would know you don't react like this just for any girl. Send her to us, I'm sure we could get her to change her mind,"

Sami broke his hold clearing her throat, "Could we maybe not talk about this with anyone? I don't want...you know what the girls are like. She's made it perfectly clear it's not going to happen, just help me get over it?"

Zack winked as a smile grew across his face. "I’ll do whatever you need me to, didn't you read the job description of a best friend? Don't worry your secret is safe with me," he paused noticing Sami's uncomfortable stature, "Listen Sami...thanks for telling me. I'm finally relieved to know my best friend isn't a robot," he finished. Playfully punching her on the arm. "I got you."

Sami's heart instantly sank into her stomach. She wanted to tell him it was his sister but for the first time Sami feared him. She feared losing the one true friend who always had her back, who never judged her, who always made sure to be there when she needed him. Katelyn's right, you're an asshole Sam.

 

Chapter 40

 

Katelyn was reluctant to enter Mick’s with Jordan, but she couldn’t say no, and after all she did promise Donna she would be there. She had nothing to hide she just knew if Donna was performing then Sami would be there, and after their fight that morning she really didn’t want to deal with the forced smiles and pretense of acting like everything was great when inside she was falling apart. Katelyn inhaled deeply, forcing a smile as Jordan held the door open for her.

"Ah good, we’re not too late she hasn’t started yet," Jordan boasted, lightly grabbing Katelyn’s hand and leading her through the rowdy crowd as they waited for Donna's performance. Finally making their way to the bar, Katelyn felt Jordan’s strong arm, curl around her waist. A faint smile appearing.

"Hey, isn’t that your friend behind the bar?" Jordan asked pointing toward the other end of the bar.

Katelyn crossed her arms against the bar, leaning over to look, her eyes instantly fixed on a laughing Sami as she presented beers to other patrons. She rolled her eyes before moving back against Jordan’s arm to let it rest against the small of her back.

"Yes, that’s her," replied Katelyn briefly.

Sami looked across the bar watching for more patrons, instantly noticing Jordan holding her hand up waving her way. She took in a deep breath, throwing the bar towel over her shoulder she made her way toward the couple,

"Hello ladies, what can I get you?" Asked Sami, keeping her eyes on only Jordan.

Katelyn looked across her shoulder as she watched Donna getting ready to perform, avoiding any given chance of locking a small stare with the woman who her heart feared the most,

"Hey, I’ll get a beer and a vodka tonic for Katelyn please," Jordan asked with a smile.

"Sure thing, is it okay if I grab them after my sister performs?" Asked Sami.

"Of course, take your time, from what I hear it’s a special night," replied Jordan

"It sure is." Sami smiled as she turned to watch Donna strumming.

Jordan whispered in Katelyn’s ear that she needed the restroom. Katelyn tucked her chin against her shoulder, closing her eyes and nodding slowly. She prayed the purposefully soft whisper would send electric, just like Sami’s gentle whispers… But it never came. She pressed her eyes shut and took in a deep breath. Give it time, Katelyn…

Katelyn’s eyes widened as Donna’s mouth opened, revealing the most beautiful, soul filled voice. She reached for her arm, as goosebumps raised under her fingertips, amazed at the beauty flowing through her ears.

Zack leaned his back up against the bar as he watched Donna, his heart filling with her voice. He nudged Sami with a huge smile before turning sharply back as Donna’s voice bellowed out the most powerful note from the song. Her flawless vocals instantly touching Sami’s heart, the ambiance her voice created was almost indescribable. Suddenly the bar erupted into an applause as Donna finished, she stood up before taking a bow, her eyes met Sami’s as she jumped over the bar to grab her into a tight hug. Katelyn watched Sami embrace her sister instantly feeling the pride she knew Sami was feeling right at that moment. Sami turned to the applauding patrons, and raised Donna’s hand,

"That was…amazing Don," Sami said with a huge smile as she kissed her sister on the cheek.

She jumped back over the bar catching Mick's smile, she knew he approved right then. She gave him a thumbs up as her smirk grew before turning back to Katelyn,

"Okay, I’m sorry what was it you guys ordered? A beer and vodka tonic?" Sami asked throwing the bar towel back over her shoulder.

"Yes." Katelyn paused as Donna rushed over to hug her. Katelyn laughed at Donna’s trembling body, amusing her,

“You were…fucking amazing!” stated Katelyn.

“It felt…fucking amazing.”

Sami nodded, working quickly to grab their order, "Here you go, enjoy the rest of your night,"

"How much do I owe you?" Asked Jordan.

Sami waved her hand, "They’re on me…enjoy," she replied with a wink.

Katelyn kissed Donna on the cheek and grabbed her glass without saying another word before walking to a table.

 

Hours past, the bar crowd finally began thinning. Sami leaned up against the bar next to Tara watching the local sports results as Zack began clearing up tables. All night Sami avoided the two women who sat in the corner. It was a smooth night for everyone, Mick was certainly glad to see no fights and no kick outs, the bar ran just like a smooth oiled machine.

"Hey, kid will you go down into the cellar and bring me two boxes of red?" Mick asked as the Bachelorette party was still in full swing.

"You got it old guy," Sami replied.

“That’s right hired help.” Sami looked over her shoulder at a tipsy Peter, waving his empty glass in front of her, “And when you’re done with that, I need another round of Jack for me and my boys…be quick about it too.”

Sami clenched her jaw, before looking toward Mick through her lashes. He waved her down to the cellar and moved to a drunken Peter as he sat with the bachelorette party, working his charms, Sami figured.

Zack sat down on one of the barstools next to Donna, clearly still buzzing from her night’s performance as she enjoyed a large whiskey on the rocks. She didn’t expect to get such positive feedback; her previous doubt had become a long-lost memory.

"How’re you feeling after that awesome performance?" Zack asked smiling,

"I still have goosebumps and you guys were all just great," she replied placing her hand on his arm.

Zack smiled shyly as that all too familiar school boy chuckle escaped him before blushing.

 

"Here ya go old guy."

Sami placed the two boxes on top of the bar, she caught a glance of Jordan walking toward the rest room. She stole a quick glance over at Katelyn, her face glued to her phone, "Best date ever," Sami mumbled as she threw the bar towel at Zack,

"Quit flirting with my sister and get some work done."

She made sure to hide her smirk from Zack as she teased him.

"Wh…I wasn’t flirting!" Claimed a now flustered Zack.

"Um you weren’t? What’s wrong with me?" Requested Donna playfully.

Katelyn tore her face from the phone long enough to watch her brother blush at Sami’s comment, a small smile began to appear. She broke her gaze from them to stare at her watch, she admitted she was bored. Jordan had been perfect all night… Not a step out of place, she struggled to find any reason as to why she wasn’t beaming. She shook her head. She was tired and certainly ready to be in bed… Alone.

"Kid, can you carry three bottles of red to the bachelorette ladies please? I’ve taken care of Peter and his goons." Stated Mick as he wiped the bar down.

"You got it," Sami replied grabbing the bottles and bringing them to the table of very overly drunken woman, who seemed to swoon over the mere sight of the weasel Sami struggled to stomach.

 "Here you go ladies can I get you anything else? It's nearly closing time, maybe call you a cab?" Sami asked placing the bottles carefully in front of them.

"When you finish up how about you taking me home?" Asked the drunken maid of honor,

Sami watched as the out of town women snickered at their friend’s cheeky question. Peter cleared his throat. Sami watched him leaning back on his chair, “Honey…you don’t want to get involved with the likes of her. She’s bad news.”

Sami clenched her jaw, refusing to break their glare. All she wanted to do was kick the legs of his chair from under him, but all that would do is land her in the slammer for the night, so she swallowed hard and moved her sights back onto the drunken woman.

"Sorry ma’am, I’m married," she lied. Quickly shifting from the table, firing an expression of horror toward Donna as her and Zack chuckled.

"Who’s the lucky lady?" Questioned Jordan not realizing the joke. The laughter soon filling behind the bar.

"She’s not married, she just lied so…." suddenly it dawned on Katelyn that Sami could’ve told the truth and took the woman home but... She didn’t,

"So?" Probed Jordan waiting patiently.

"So, she didn’t have to…take her home," Katelyn whispered.

Jordan began to giggle, "Ahh, funny. Anyway, do you want to order us one last drink while I go see what the juke box has to offer," Jordan asked taking money from her pocket and placing it in Katelyn’s hand.

Katelyn forced a smile and nodded Jordan’s way before getting up and making her way to the bar.

Sami looked up instantly meeting Katelyn's glance, she couldn’t ignore the woman's tiresome eyes that stared back,

"Beer and a water please," Katelyn asked quietly.

"Done drinking?" Sami asked taking the top off Jordan’s beer.

"Yes, I’m tired and I have to be up early for work," replied Katelyn avoiding any lengthy eye contact.

Sami nodded placing the drinks in front of her before their attention was taken from glasses smashing. They both looked over at the bachelorette party to see Peter standing with his hands against his friend’s throat. Quickly Zack jolted as Sami hopped over the bar. She jammed her arm between the two, prying them apart as Zack pulled Peter away. Sami grabbed the other guy, throwing him from Peters grasp, just as he swung back into Peters direction, a small bag suddenly fell out of his inside jacket pocket. Everyone froze as the clear bag slid across the dark vinyl floor. Sami’s eyes glued to the small bag. Zack let go of Peter, slowly raising his hands to cradle the sides of his head.

 Katelyn’s eyes finally rested with everyone else’s. Her heart sank into the pit of her stomach… She dragged her dismay to a frozen Sami, her eyes fixed. Not a soul moved. Suddenly the stranger darted toward Zack but just as he tried to run through him, he was met with Zacks fist, and just like that he was on the floor holding his nose, screaming in pain. Peter backed up, falling over the chairs behind him. Katelyn watched his shocked expression quickly mount to a panic stricken one.

She jumped as Jordan’s hand pressed against her shoulder, “Should I call the police?”

Katelyn nodded. She turned back to Mick who slowly walked toward a still Sami.

“Fuck! You broke my fucking nose!”

“I don’t give a fuck! Don’t you fucking move…” Zack yelled back.

The stranger turned to Peter. “What the fuck are you guys waiting for? Get this bitch.”

Mick bent down, grabbing and squeezing his jawline, “I advise you to shut your damn mouth,” he paused looking up at the two standing with Peter, their fists clenched, “And if any of you know what’s good for you…you won’t do shit.”

“I…I…I don’t know where he got that from…I mean…what the hell is it?” Peter shook.

“What the fuck! Are you for real going to put this shit on me?”

“Don’t bring me into this…what the fuck is in that bag?”

Katelyn cringed at the mirthless laughter coming from the stranger, “Are you seriously going to pin this bullshit on me?”

“You’re the one who had the bag of whatever the fuck that is…”

“Pete…I won’t be your fucking scape goat!”

Sami bent down slowly, interrupting the two of them as she picked up the bag. She stood back up studying the multicolored pills... Slowly she turned the bag over to reveal the emblem of a clown, she narrowed her eyes. Katelyn’s heart moved into her throat. It was just like she had described… Years Sami had searched every dealer she knew for the type of bag she finally held in her hand. Mick stood up, snatching it from her, but her fingers didn’t move, gradually her stone-cold stare moved to the man on the floor.

“Who gave you these?”

He sat up slightly, moving his bloodied hand from his face, he swallowed hard before nodding toward Peter.

“You fucking liar!”

Sami turned slowly to face Peter.

He held his hands up, “Sami…he’s a fucking liar. I’ve never seen a bag like that in my life. Who’re you going to believe? Me? Or this West Pines low life fuck, who has nothing or no one to live for?”

“If that’s the case…why are you freaking out so much about a little baggie with a clowns’ face on it? Huh?” Zack questioned.

Peter shrugged. “Come on! Everyone knows Sami terrorized every motherfucker about those God forsaken bags after shit went down with—” he stopped as Sami edged closer to him. “Sami…don’t do something you’ll regret. I swear to you, I don’t know shit about any of this.”

She tilted her head. Katelyn watched her lips turn into a sinister smile.

“You were there that night….” She said slowly.

Katelyn watched Peter swallow hard, his Adams apple bobbing like an apple in water,

“So was that bitch!”

“You motherfucker man. You’re the bitch…you’re gonna get what’s coming to you McCluskey. Daddy isn’t gonna save you this time.” Spat the injured man.

“Fuck you Carl…” Peter looked back to Sami, “Listen, he’s a fucking crack head.” He wiped the sweat from his brow, “I had no knowledge of this shit, if I did, I would’ve fucking told you!”

Sami scanned the men standing behind Peter, their heads bowed. Each refusing to meet her glare. “Any of you care to tell me who this bag and ecstasy belong to?”

Katelyn crossed her arms. Sami’s voice was surprisingly calm… She couldn’t help but wonder was it the calm before the storm? Jordan whispered that the police were on their way, but she knew they had time. They were in West Pines after all.

One of the strangers raised his visible regret to Sami, his jaw clenching. “We ain’t snitching, Sam. You know the rules…”

Sami nodded slowly, pushing her tongue into the side of her cheek. “Y’all are from East Pines, the only code you know is your parents bank pin code. Try again.”

 Mick curled his fingers over her shoulder. “Go in the back, kid. The cops will be here. We’ll get this figured out…go.”

“Sami, you have to believe me, I had no idea he was stocked with those, if I knew, I would’ve never associated myself with such a piece of shit…you know I’m no low-life dealer…no offence.”

“Nah, you’re just the supplier.”

Peter rolled his eyes. “This lying sack of shit! Sami come on you know better…do I look like a fucking dealer or supplier to you? My family is fucking made of money, why would I be a dealer?”

“Fuck this and the code…you aren’t pinning this shit on me, McCluskey. He put the shit in her drink…he did it, he wanted a piece of ass for the night…ended up killing that girl at the party…I was there…I know exactly who you are Sam…I’ve nothing to lose, and that’s the Gods honest truth.”

Katelyn and Donna screeched as Sami leapt toward Peter and within a split second, she had him on the ground, her fists pummeling his face. Both Donna and Katelyn jolted toward them, but Jordan’s arm’s curled across their stomach’s pulling them back. Katelyn watched Mick and Zack jump on Sami, pulling her off him. Peters blood covering each of her knuckles. Tears streamed down Katelyn’s face as the blood curdling scream from Sami hit her ears. Quickly the door kicked open, finally it was the police and right there was Terri. She caught Katelyn’s pleaded stare as Mick and Zack still fought to keep Sami from Peter as he laid huddled, holding his face. Officers followed Terri, each grabbing the stranger, and Peter from the floor.

Katelyn rushed her hands to her face, as Sami collapsed into Mick. Terri stood in front of her, clutching Sami’s trembling jaw, forcing her to look into her eyes. “Sami…”

“They killed her, Terri…they killed her.”

Katelyn turned to Donna, her cheeks soaking in wet. She grabbed her, holding her tight and closing her eyes to Sami’s painful whisper as tears moved down her face. Terri’s eyes filled, she looked to Mick then dropped them to the ground, “I’m sorry Sam, but I have to bring you in,”

Sami nodded, bringing her wrists together, “I know…”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 41

 

“What time is it?”

Katelyn’s eyes opened to Zacks raspy question. She lifted her head from his shoulder, checking her watch, showing her three a.m. She sat up pushing her fingers through her hair, nudging Zack to look at Donna sleeping flat across four chairs, with his jacket covering her.

“When dad gets done in there, you should take her home.”

He nodded. “If she’ll let me.”

Katelyn yawned. “I think when she knows Sam will be okay, she won’t say no.”

Zack raised up. “I’m gonna grab us some coffee.”

Katelyn nodded slightly. She watched her brother disappear behind the whining swinging doors. Lightly she rubbed the goosebumps from the tops of her arms, her eyes tracing the dark gray walls and floor. Not only did she have to endure the terribly hard plastic seats that were screwed to the ground, their air conditioning blasted temperatures no more than sixty-four degrees, she was sure. She yawned again, turning her head to the dull buzz and the unclicking of a locked door. She got up to face her father,

“They’re finishing up the paperwork. It’ll take a few minutes then I can go back and get her.” He explained, taking a seat. Katelyn sat down next to him keeping her eyes on the grey vinyl tiles beneath them.

Arthur looked toward a sleeping Donna, sighing lightly. “I can’t believe all of this.”

“I know…” She whispered. “Thank you for coming, you were the only person I could think of, who would listen any way.”

He presented a half smile, putting his arm over her and saying nothing.

She laid her head on his broad shoulder. “Does McClusky know you’re here?”

He nodded. “Yes. Right after you called me, he did. Asked me to represent Peter too.”

“What did you tell him?” She asked, raising her head to face him.

He looked down to her with half smiling eyes. “I told him absolutely not…and nobody in my firm will have their names on this.”

“What did he say to that?”

Arthur looked up toward an approaching Zack. “We’ll talk later,” he finished before raising up to let Zack take a seat.

“Did you manage to get her bail?” Zack asked as he handed Katelyn her coffee.

Arthur nodded. “Yes…we’re just waiting on the paperwork.”

Katelyn noticed Donna stirring, quickly she moved to her. “Hey sleepy…here have some of this.”

Donna gave a quick smile before shimmying Zacks jacket from her and taking the much-needed coffee. “Did your father manage to get her bail?”

Katelyn rubbed her back. “Yes, they’re just finishing up the paperwork.”

Zack nodded, sipping slowly from his coffee. Arthur smiled at his unapproved expression for the coffee, courtesy of the East Pines Police force.

“I do have to ask…how bad was it?”

“What?” Zack asked looking up through his brows.

“Sam’s beating on Peter?

“It was pretty bad….” Zack trailed.

Arthur nodded. “That’s what I thought. Maybe you should go take Donna home.”

Zack looked around his father, Donna’s puffy eyes pushed a sympathetic smile from him. “Yeah…like I told Katelyn, that’s if she’ll listen.”

Arthur cleared his throat before making his way to an exhausted Donna. Kneeling down he rested his palm against her knee, “Listen why don’t you let Zack take you home? You can call your parents and let them know she’s going to be okay. Katelyn and I will make sure she gets home to you…it shouldn’t be too much longer.”

Donna blew the steam from the cheap coffee. “Sami made me promise not to call them.”

Arthur took in a slow deep breath, moving his stare to Katelyn. “Maybe it’s for the best not to bother them tonight. But you’ll have to tell them tomorrow before my Gwen does. It was a battle trying to get her to even stay home.”

Donna pushed a small smile. “I will, don’t worry.”

“Okay, good.” Arthur raised back to his tall stature, holding a hand to Donna. As she took it Zack placed his jacket over her shoulders before giving them a small nod and guiding her to the doors.

Katelyn stood next to her father as they watched them exit the station. A relief seemed to wash over both.

“Did mom mention how Nicole’s doing?”

He shook his head. “I thought she would be upset, but before I left, she was ready to go and give him round two. I’m just thankful she wasn’t there when it all happened. Your mother said she hasn’t calmed down any.”

“I’m relieved to say the least, I never liked him.”

“Truth be told…neither did I.”

“Mr. Jensen…they’re ready for you to come get her.” Announced Terri, holding the heavy door open.

Katelyn watched her father nod, then turn to her. “Do you want to come?”

Her eyes darted from her father to an approaching Terri. “No, I think I’ll wait here…”

“I’ll sit with her, Mr. Jensen.” Insisted Terri. His understanding smile easing Katelyn.

“We’ll be out soon.”

Before she knew it, her father disappeared behind the loud clank. She sat back down pressing her palms together and jamming them between her legs as Terri sat next to her, placing an arm around her, she appreciated the rubbing palm of Terri against her arm.

“You doing okay?”

Katelyn nodded. “As good as could be expected under the circumstances.”

“Yeah, sorry that was a dumb question.”

She looked at the sorrowful eyes, “Thank you for your concern, Terri.”

“No thank you needed…I can’t even begin to imagine what Sami is going through right now.”

“You and me both….”

Terri sighed. “I know me and her have had our moments, but I would’ve never wished this on her…losing Christine and being blamed for it was enough…but this?”

Katelyn pressed her palm against the top of Terri’s thigh, patting it gently. “I know…I know.”

“Between you and me though…”

Katelyn looked over at her, pressing her chin against her shoulder,

“Everybody back there secretly wanted to high five her for smacking the absolute piss out of Peter.” Terri finished with a small smirk.

Katelyn smiled, biting her bottom lip. “I think a hell of a lot of people around here are secretly wanting to do the same.”

Terri nodded slowly. “Do you think they’ll get Peter on this, or walk away from it unharmed like every other damn time?”

She shrugged. “I think we’ve been here long enough to know exactly what’s going to happen…I’m just concerned that he’ll press charges against Sam.”

“If he knows what’s good for him, he’ll—” Terri’s sentence was cut short by the dull buzz once again echoing through the empty waiting area.

Katelyn’s stomach flipped as she watched her father guide Sami through the heavy door. She stood up with Terri. Sami was pale, her eyes darker than usual… Her complexion grey almost. Her heart sank. The sight of her bandaged knuckles as she cradled them and then her bloodied lip. Doubting it was Peter but only Sami’s own teeth as she bit down harder with every painful thud that connected to the face that took Christine from her. She studied Terri walking toward the fragile looking Sami, surprise hitting as Terri embraced her. Her heart breaking slightly as a pained Sami slowly patted her tendered fingers against Terri’s back.

Arthur turned to her. “Let’s get this one home.”

Katelyn nodded before giving Terri a hug and a soft kiss on the cheek. “Thank you, for everything.”

Terri smiled, “Take care of her.”

 

Arthur pulled the passenger door open for Sami, “Careful, it’s a little low.”

Sami hesitated. Arthur looked at Katelyn, his confusion forcing her to press her palm against Sami’s back. “Get in Sam…” Whispering her reassurance.

She helped Sami duck down slightly to get in the newer sports car. Then quickly she jumped in the back to help Sami click her seat belt in. She watched Sami lean and roll her head against the head rest to look out the window, not before catching her father’s stare in the mirror, her heart heavy. She was supposed to be pushing herself from the tattooist, instead all she wanted was to cater to her fragile state… Be there for her.

She expected the usual car ride with Sami to be a quiet one, but evidently her father had other plans.

“How’re you doing over there?”

Sami’s eyes remained locked on the passing trees, “Good…thanks.”

“Are you warm enough?”

“Yeah”

Katelyn rolled her eyes at her father’s sudden nervousness.

“Are you sure because—”

“I’m good, Mr. Jensen.” Sami interrupted.

Katelyn chewed the inside of her cheek. She knew her father was feeling a heavy guilt, but now wasn’t the time to even try and fix that. After all, he chased her, terrorized her after Christine’s death. Sami’s coldness toward him, she didn’t blame in the slightest.

“Listen Sam, I want you know if the McCluskey’s try to press charges…I will fight—”

“I really don’t give a, excuse my French…give a fuck what they do.”

“Sam!”

Arthur raised his hand to settle Katelyn’s sudden snap.

“It’s okay…I get it.” Replied Arthur.

Sami sighed. “My only concern right now is to get these,” she raised her knuckles “Into some damn ice water.”

Arthur gave her a half smile. “Your livelihood huh?”

“Yes, Sir.”

“I think you can call me Arthur now…” He suggested.

Sami rolled her head to look at him. “Does this mean things are getting serious between us?”

Katelyn smiled as her father bellowed out a laughter. He pulled in front of Micks.

“Okay, here you are. Zack dropped Donna off a little before I got you.”

Sami sat forward as Katelyn helped her unclip her seat belt. She gasped quietly catching the bloodied bandages in the light.

“My God,” She whispered.

She looked into the corner of the dark eyes, “It’s okay, Katelyn.” Sami whispered back.

Arthur cleared his throat, turning in his seat to face her,

“Regardless if you want it or not…if this goes further with Peter, I will be representing you…if for anything…for your parents, and my wife because I won’t hear the end of it, otherwise. I don’t know where this case will go with trying to prosecute Pete—” Sami interrupted him,

“I appreciate your help…I’m no idiot, I know who this guy’s parents are, and I’d never put you in a situation that would jeopardize your standing in this town—”

He interrupted now, “Sam, I don’t care about that, I care about giving you and especially Christine real justic—”

 “I don’t need a case for Christine…her parents don’t need it to all be brought up again…they’ve lived through this hell enough. Leave them be. I made my peace tonight…it might not have been to the standards of a good law-abiding citizen…but Christine’s memory will never be tainted, not while I’m still alive. I know how dirty it can get in cases like that…her parents don’t need to hear dirty lies about their daughter, so Peter can look like the real victim…let the people of Pines make him their prisoner.”

Katelyn closed her eyes. She couldn’t have said it better herself. Arthur dropped his stare, nodding slowly. “I…” He took in a deep breath, exhaling slowly, then bringing his eyes back to hers, “Okay, Sam. Before you go…will you do me a favor?”

“Sure…”

“Call your parents in the morning please…and this isn’t me telling you…this is Gwen.”

Sami gave him a small smirk. “I’ll think about it.”

“Sam…I will tell her you refused.”

Sami’s smirk grew. “I’ll call them. Thanks for your help tonight.” She shifted in her seat to look back at Katelyn, “Thank you, Kate.”

Katelyn nodded slightly, breaking the stare. “Go get some sleep, Sam.”

And with that, Sami got out, giving them both a small wave before shutting the door behind her. Katelyn sat back expelling her pounding heart in a long-drawn exhale.

“Take me home, dad.”

 

 

 

Chapter 42

 

"Sami you have to come, my parents are expecting you, hell even my dad!" Explained an excited Zack as he pleaded with her before placing a coffee in front of her.

Business was finally back on track; their daily schedules were once again full. It hadn’t taken long for Sami’s knuckles to heal up. But before it was business as usual, she sat them all down, told them what happened was to never be spoken about again, and they all agreed. Nicole especially. She didn’t hesitate in literally kicking her ex-boyfriend right where it hurt and leaving him crying after her.

 Sami, Zack, and Billy had practically began living at the parlor. Occasionally, Donna or Katelyn even Laurie would bring them lunch. Sami and Laurie had certainly grown closer, but Laurie was fully aware it would just be a friendship. From time to time like Zack she would attempt to make Sami divulge into the woman who struck her, but Sami was a closed book. She was just thankful to have a friend who wasn't connected in any way to Katelyn.

As usual Sami and Katelyn would keep it cordial when everyone was around, but both avoided any situation to be alone together, even if the other didn't see it. Donna always made sure to tell her about the on goings of Katelyn and Jordan's escapades. Sami knew exactly what Donna was trying to do but she pretended it didn't eat her up. She knew Katelyn returned her feelings, her eyes told Sami everything she needed to know but she doubted Katelyn would stop running from her feeling's. Letting go of the hope that she would, was harder than Sami imagined. She just prayed the pain would lessen with each passing day.

"Zack...I was born during the day...but not yesterday. Your father might not hate me as much as he used to, but I highly doubt the man would want me to be at his big birthday bash," she replied before sipping a much-needed coffee.

Zack rolled his chair in front of her before placing his coffee next to hers, leaning closer to her, his eyes burning into the top of her head as she stared at her sketches. He grabbed her hands forcing her to look up at him,

"Sami, he asked if you would come, that I swear. The other night at dinner he even asked how you were doing…" Zack laughed as he finished his surprising admission.

Sami looked up, her eyebrow cocked. They hadn’t really communicated a lot after the night with Peter, if anything it was Gwen calling her to keep her updated.

"I’ll think about it," replied Sami dryly as she got up to check the stock list for an upcoming delivery of inks and needles.

Zack shook his head,

"Please come. Jesus Katelyn is even bringing that Jordan, and we all know Jordan being Jordan will wrap an arm around Katelyn as if a dog marking their territory. You can sit with me and watch my dad grill her," Zack let out a chuckle.

Sami sighed, opening the steel drawer displaying her inks. She had every color you could think imaginable, but expiration dates were soon approaching. This was the part of the job she despised, hundreds of dollars being thrown out because of expiration.

"I'd rather give the Jordan show a miss, but I'll go because I know you won't shut up about the damn thing until I say yes, but are any of the McCluskey’s gonna be there?"

Zack shrugged, "I wish I could tell you no, but I honestly don’t know. I do know Peter won’t."

Sami took in a deep breath as her doubt flourished,

"When is it? And let me guess, dress super smart?”

Zack nodded slowly toward Sami's direction avoiding any eye contact,

"This Saturday; my mom booked Hunter's Hall. Maybe just a shirt and dress pants...possibly a tie?" Asked a nervous Zack, knowing all too well she hated dressing up especially if it was to impress his father.

"Uh huh..." Sami said quietly, shaking her head, she was too busy to give him a hard time over his small demands.

"Hey...I uh...can I maybe ask Donna if she would come?" His nervousness escaping through his soft tone, amusing her.

She smirked as she threw her inks in the trash bag, before turning to him while masking her amusement with an angered expression,

"Why do you want to ask my sister to go? You crushing on her or something?" Her pretense of anger amusing her more so because of Zack's excessive fidgeting and wiping the forming sweat from his forehead.

"No...no, she's a part of our group...I... I just don't want her feeling left out, honest." His nervous laughter pausing him, "Your sister? N...no way!" He replied his tongue practically tripping over his rushed words.

Sami soon allowed her grin to finally escape,

"Relax, I'm playing with you. Of course, you can ask her.”

 

Donna rolled her eyes toward Katelyn as they worked yet another busy night at Mick's, the roaring laughter and high demands from the bachelor's party that took over the bar didn't help. The amount of times Donna had to endure the roaming hands of the drunken men as she walked past was beginning to wear her patience thin.

"Mick if I feel one more hand on my ass that isn't my own, I'm going to end up throwing my fists all over them," explained Donna, placing a tray full of empty bottles and glasses on the bar.

Mick nodded, glancing over at the noisy group enjoying themselves,

"Get behind the bar and help Katelyn, any orders for that table I'll take them over," replied Mick his expression unamused at the antics of the party crowd.

Donna made her way behind the bar, Katelyn winked with a cheeky smile as she playfully brushed her hand against Donna's butt. Donna chuckled smacking her away with the bar towel,

"I dare you to even try and endure that!" Joked Donna throwing the empty bottles away.

Katelyn shook her head, "Not a chance in the world, I have a hard-enough time keeping Jordan's hands away," replied Katelyn as her expression looked almost repulsed.

Donna squinted her eyes toward Katelyn,

"Well you're the one keeping her around, why?"

Donna's eyebrows arched, forcing Katelyn's eye roll,

"She's a really good friend...just friends. She just...wants a little more and I'm not ready for that yet," explained Katelyn before her attention was taken by a patron.

"Yeah...Yeah,"

 

Zack opened the door to Mick's, letting Sami walk past him. Quickly she was taken aback by the unusual jam-packed bar, it was a Wednesday night, Mick’s was never this busy during the week nights. She was surprised sweat wasn't dripping from the ceiling, as the conjured heat made it hard to even take a breath, never had she witnessed so many people confined in such a small place,

"What the hell is going on here tonight?" Asked a surprised Zack as he squeezed between the countless bodies. Sami began pushing passed everyone as they made their way to the nearly invisible bar. Donna looked up, a noticeably relieved smile escaping as her glance caught Zack and Sami,

"Why is it so crazy tonight?" Yelled Sami into Donna's ear. Barely being able to hear herself, the only indication words were escaping was the vibration in her throat.

Donna rolled her eyes at her sister nodding for them to come behind the bar.

"Need some help?" Asked Zack as he hurried to take his coat off.

"Yes please, Katelyn and I are swamped," she yelled before moving away and giving her sister a kiss on the cheek. Zack nodded making his way to the waving dollar bills in the air from the impatient patrons.

Sami looked across the bar, she could see a group of twenty guys, easy. Soon her train of thought was interrupted by a breathless Katelyn knocking into her as she rushed to grab the glasses behind Sami. She looked up to apologize, her eyes locked onto an already tired looking Sami,

"Sorry..."

Sami couldn't hear the woman, but she could just about make out what was mouthed to her. Sami gave a small nod before moving away and addressing the merry patrons.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 43

 

As the night continued the bar didn't seem to thin out, as quick as they were serving a waiting group a new crowd needed orders. Not a word was uttered between the four behind the bar, they had work to do and made sure to get it done.

Donna stared at Katelyn before whispering in her ear,

"The bachelor party need these beers; can you take them please? Mick is changing the kegs down in the basement and Sami and Zack are already out there trying to grab empty glasses, we are running out, please honey, I can't endure them. I’ll owe you one."

Katelyn let out a small grin noticing the timid expression of Donna, reluctantly she agreed, and grabbing the tray, she slowly made her way to the table next to them.

Donna leaned up against the bar shaking her head as she looked over at an eye rolling Sami approaching,

"You good?" Sami asked as she came back from the relentless crowd. Donna nodded before looking in Katelyn's direction watching her approach the table of the bachelor party,

"Yeah..." She pointed, "But those guys are horrible, I had to send Katelyn. All night they've done nothing but grab on me," explained Donna. Her eyes staying on the table making sure Katelyn was okay.

Sami looked over noticing the lingering hands move across Katelyn. She slapped a hand away before placing her finger in the stranger’s face. Sami studied the situation and continued to watch the unheard words being exchanged. Suddenly Donna gripped Sami's forearm as the intoxicated man stood up clutching tightly onto Katelyn's arm and pulling her hard into him. Before Sami knew it, something inside her snapped and without thinking she jumped over the bar oblivious to knocking the endless lines of beer bottles and glasses off the bar. The glasses smashing against the hard-wooden floor abruptly interrupted the laughter of everyone inside as they turned to watch Sami pushing the few patrons in front of her out of the way. As quick as she made it to Katelyn's aide her fist struck the side of the man's face, motioning him straight to the floor forcefully. Zack and Mick quickly rushed to the table, Sami looked down at the man before clumping his collar into her tightened fists, he laid there nursing his cheek, not at all realizing what just happened to him,

"Touch her again..." Sami dared.

 The others just stood and watched as Zack grabbed Sami, pulling her from the floored man. Mick clenched his jaw as he helped get the man off the floor, and studying the group of paralytic patrons before pointing toward the door,

"Get out...all of you and if you ever decide to come back and grab one of my employee's again it won't just be Sam to come at you like that...now get the hell out of here!" Mick threatened, placing his arm around Katelyn who was still in a state of shock at what had just happened, her mind failing to fully register it all,

"Listen Mick we’re sorry, sometimes Tim doesn't know when enough is enough," said the groom-to-be as his friends made their way to the exit.

Mick's stone-cold stare not lessening as Katelyn's grip tightened,

"Get out, Mark," he requested calmly.

Donna grabbed some ice cubes and wrapped them in her bar towel as Zack and Sami approached her. She looked at her sister’s hand, each knuckle was painted red as the blood slowly seeped down her fingers. Grabbing her hand, she turned on the faucet pulling the injured hand under the cold water waiting for it to wash away the blood.

Zack looked over as Mick and Katelyn walked toward him, his face pale,

"You...you okay Katie?" He asked softly.

Katelyn nodded and forced a smile as she pressed her palm against his chest,

"I'm fine Zack I promise. I'm just in a little bit of shock...is Sami okay? I don't know if this is his or her blood, that guy had a pretty large gash under his eye though," explained Katelyn, grabbing the bottom of her cream top revealing drops of blood.

"Yeah, there’s some on your jeans too. I think she's okay Donna's running her hand under some cold water now. You sure you're okay? I didn't realize what was going on until I saw Sami leap over the bar like a damn gymnast clearing those damn horse looking things. God damn the thud from that fist almost knocked me out," replied Zack laughing a little.

Katelyn chuckled, Mick smiled patting the back of Zack,

"I'm going to see how our ass kicker's hand is doing…this time. If she keeps this up, she’ll be forced into retirement before the age of thirty-five," stated Mick.

"Fu...!" Grimaced Sami as the water hit her tendered knuckles.

"Man up...I gotta' do this."

Sami looked at her sister with an escaping grin. Donna catching it,

"What's so funny, ass?" Donna asked.

"Tickles...is all," replied Sami. An uncomfortable groan escaping as Donna slapped the ice on top,

"You should go to the hospital, you don't need stitches, but that pinky looks like it might be broken," stated Donna as Mick approached.

"You okay, kid?" He asked.

Sami nodded trying to hold in the pain, but he could see it all over her face.

"I think she needs to go to the hospital to see if anything is broken," replied Donna.

Mick nodded lifting the bar towel wrapped around ice off Sami's hand, noticing it was already bruised and swelling.

"I think she's right kid. That fist has taken a hammering recently…it was only inevitable that something would crack."

Sami shook her head leaning her back off the bar,

"I’m fine give me some pain pills and I'll get back to work. It's just tender."

"What's wrong?" A concerned Katelyn asked as she made her way to them. Donna looked over at her shaking her head,

"She needs to go to the hospital to see if anything is broken, her hand is bruised and cut to hell and it's already starting to swell...but of course, refusing."

Katelyn lifted the bar towel, her eyes widening as the severity of her injury became evident. She gently placed the ice back on Sami's hand,

"Sam she's right...that doesn't look so good."

Sami shook her head in disagreement with the group,

"I'll give it a couple of days, if it's no better by Saturday I’ll go get it looked at."

"Promise?" Asked Donna.

Sami nodded, "Promise."

 

For the remainder of the night Mick forced Sami to sit on the stool behind the bar and have control of the television. As much as she tried to sneak in taking an order, the eagle eyes of Mick caught her pretty swiftly, before ordering her right back onto the stool.

 

 Zack finally locked the front door as the last patrons of the night left, he leaned his back up against the door before looking over at an exhausted Donna. He smiled and slid down the door not caring what spilled drink he could feel under him, he was just glad the night was finally over.

Katelyn approached a bored looking Sami,

"How's the hand feeling?" She asked, cracking the cap off a beer, and taking a sip of it.

Sami nodded, "It's all good, those pain pills really hit the spot. You guys need any help to clean up?" Asked a lying Sami.

Katelyn narrowed her eyes detecting the lie, "No, we have it under control."

Sami sighed before moving her eyes back to the television. Katelyn bit her bottom lip softly before slowly leaning closely into Sami, not ignoring the pounding heart under her palm as she laid it gently across Sami's chest. Purposefully she rested her lips millimeters from Sami’s ear,

"I never got to say it but...thank you Sam," she said softly.

Never had she witnessed someone do that, not that being grabbed by a strange man was something that occurred often but what Sami did showed Katelyn more than the woman would ever know.

Sami's heart began pounding into her ears almost deafening her from Katelyn's soft whispers. The thought of Katelyn's touch on her and the woman’s' lips right there sent that all too familiar rush of electricity. Slowly she brushed her cheek against Katelyn's. Forcefully she clamped her eyes shut before opening them to Katelyn's weakened stare, their hot breaths brushing against their faces. Their eyes studying the growing hunger,

"Don't get so close," Sami whispered.

Katelyn's eyes dropped to the floor as she fought the arousal rushing through her veins,

"Sorry…"

Katelyn's breaths became heavier as her struggled whisper drew a mischievous smirk from Sami. Once in that locked trance with Sami her control was gone, her fears were forgotten, her wants were overwhelming. God, how does she do it?

Sami swallowed hard, clearing her throat before grabbing Katelyn's hand and slowly moving it from her chest, she couldn't control the hooking of her fingers as they clamped Katelyn's trembling fingers,

"Christ Sam..."

Sami nodded as Katelyn's battle matched hers,

"I think you should go help your brother, before I do something...I shouldn't."

Sami's forbidden stare intoxicated Katelyn, with what little control she did have she moved away, she didn't doubt that Sami would kiss her... She wanted her to. She wanted in her arms, her touch, her moans. She walked away saying nothing, she couldn't.

 

 

As Donna got done cleaning up and throwing out all the empties into the trash she walked toward her sister with a bottle of beer and a sympathetic smile, knowing all too well Sami was probably bored to death,

"Hey...how you feeling?" Donna asked, handing Sami the bottle before grabbing a stool to sit next to her.

"Bored to near tears...you?" Sami said dryly as the pain in her hand grew her irritation.

Donna smiled clicking her beer against Sami's. Soon Zack and Katelyn joined them, each with a bottle of beer in hand. Zack took three huge gulps of his beer letting out a huge sigh of relief before belching loudly, both Donna and Katelyn grimaced when all Sami and Zack could do was grin.

"So gross," said Katelyn.

"So... Donna are you doing anything this Saturday?" Asked Zack, clearing his throat, ignoring his sister.

Sami released a smirk as she kept her eyes fixated on the television, she couldn't look at him, the mere sight of his fidgeting and profuse sweating would instigate her laughter. For once she didn't want to embarrass him, finally understanding his nervousness.

Donna placed her hand on her chest before letting out a southern twang in her accent,

"Why Mr. Jensen Sir, are you going to ask little old me out on a date?" Joked Donna.

Sami choked on her sip of beer as she heard her sister's playful teasing. Zack sat back waving her question away. Katelyn instantly dropped her head as a laughter escaped, his reddened cheeks confirming his embarrassment,

"Forget it," his reply low toned.

Donna slapped his hand playfully,

"Oh, come on, lighten up Zackie, I was just playing. I have no plans...do you?" Asked Donna, leaning her elbow across the bar resting her chin on her fist.

He shrugged, "Well, we are having a birthday thing for my dad...I was wondering if you would like to come along...is all."

Sami turned away from the television with a confused expression all over her face,

"Hold up...I thought I was your date?"

Zack lightly punched his friend on the arm swearing to her it wasn't a date as Donna and Katelyn chuckled,

"I would love to come," replied Donna followed with a wink that crippled Zack's cool exterior.

"Are you going to my dad’s birthday thing, Sam?" Asked Katelyn before sipping her beer,

"Yeah, I hear he asked for me personally…I think he wants to take us a step further."

Katelyn laughed lightly meeting her eyes with Sami's,

"It's hard to believe but it's true. I think he likes you just a little tiny bit," she replied scrunching her nose before resting a small mischievous smile across her lips.

Sami smirked raising her bottle and clinking it against Katelyn's. Katelyn's heart quickly jolted, her stomach flipping into her throat... That dark enticing stare without fail... Igniting a burning rush of desire,

"I can drink to that," replied Sami holding their gaze.

Donna let out a sly smile as her small chuckle caught Katelyn's attention, instigating her familiar eye roll. She knew Donna couldn't contain the delight of watching the two of them talking without screaming at one another.

 

 

 

Chapter 44

 

“Honey, do you want some more mash potato?”

“I’m good mom, if I eat anymore y’all are gonna have to roll me out of here.”

Donna chuckled alongside their mother, Brenda. It was Thursday, and Donna made sure Sami held her promise to have dinner with their parents.

“Do you want some more ice for that hand?” Brenda asked, taking Sami’s plate to the sink.

“It’s fine…” Sami turned to her father sitting at the end of the table taking the last bite of his apple pie. “Are you ready to get started on this fencing, Ron Wilson?”

Ron shook his head. “Nope.”

Sami cocked a brow, “What…the fence by the barn isn’t even a fence anymore.”

Ron smirked, “What…Sam that hand on your right wrist isn’t even a hand anymore.”

Both Donna and Brenda let out a laughter while Sami smirked sucking on her teeth.

“You’re a funny guy.”

“Thank you. So, need me to look at that thing you call a hand yet or continue to wait until Saturday, when it’s even worse?”

Sami rolled her eyes. “I told you…it’s fine.”

Ron grabbed his paper next to him, flipped it open purposely blocking his view from her.

“Real mature pops. Okay…I won’t help you with the fence…I have to get back to the parlor any way.”

Brenda sighed. “I wish you would come visit us more.”

Sami looked up at her mother, noticing a sadness mask her aged face. Her heart sank, regretting that she ever took time away from them, but deep down she still believed it had been for the best.

“I know…and now that…things have settled down, I’ll make a point of coming over more. But y’all need to try to come see the parlor too.”

Ron lowered his paper, “I will once you draw me something up…”

Sami grinned. “Yeah, my name.”

He laughed. “Yeah, with kiss my ass before it.”

Once again Donna and Brenda giggled at the two. They were more alike than both liked to admit. Sami imaged him in every way. Their bond was unspoken, and somehow, they knew exactly what the other was thinking and from time to time they would just share a grin that both understood.

“We’ll see you at Arthur’s party on Saturday…I want to hear what the doctor says because I know…that thing isn’t going to be healed by then.” Stated Ron.

“Wait…y’all are going?” Sami asked, shooting a look of dismay toward her mother.

“Yes…why?” Ron asked.

Sami shrugged, “Just asking…”

“I don’t want you cramping my style, kiddo. So, keep your distance.”

Sami grinned at her mother swiping her father with a dish cloth.

“Sami’s just nervous that y’all will start telling embarrassing stories about her to Kat—”

“That’s enough out of you, Wilson.” Sami shot.

Ron set his paper down with a smirk. Sami caught it… Forcing her to groan further.

“To who?”

“Now, now Ron. Leave it be…” pleaded Brenda.

“Katelyn…” Donna trailed.

“Jensen?”

Donna nodded. “Yes, Sir.”

Sami shot up out of her chair, “Okay and that’s our que to leave. Love y’all, see you guys on Saturday.” She pressed a kiss against her mother’s cheek, before turning to her father. “It’s been real Ron.”

“But you both haven’t even had pie yet.” Explained their mother throwing her dish cloth on the counter.

Sami winked, “Keep me a slice in the fridge and I’ll come get it tomorrow.” She smiled warmly as her mother’s face lit up.

Ron laughed, getting up to embrace his daughters. “Stay safe girls.”

 

 

 

 

Chapter 45

 

"So, what'd the doc say?" Asked a noticeably concerned Zack as Sami walked into the parlor.

"I'm all good, the swelling is down, the x-ray showed I guess a boxer fracture or something, so I have to wear this splint." Sami shrugged walking over to the book holding the day’s schedules.

"I don't know why you're checking that thing, no one is booked in for you, just me and Billy. There's not much you can do with an immobilized hand. Play by the doc's orders and you can get back in the chair but until then, I'm the boss," replied Zack as he went back to tattooing his client.

Sami slammed the book shut gritting her teeth, she hadn't tattooed in days and the itch was becoming too much, Zack even stopped her from sketching until he was satisfied. Deep down she understood if she messed up a tattoo because of her hand it would be bad for business, but Christ, what she wouldn’t give just to vibrate some ink onto skin for even a few minutes.

"And you better call your sister and tell her what he said, she's been blowing my phone up all day," explained Zack.

Sami shrugged, falling into her chair and spinning it around for even just a little amusement,

"Nah, I'll see her soon anyway. What time is your dad's thing?"

"We have to be there by five."

Sami looked at her watch it was already three thirty,

“Are you coming Bill?” She asked a concentrating Billy as he worked the third session of a back piece he designed.

“I’m gonna give it a miss, once I get this done, I have a date,” he replied winking in Sami’s direction,

Sami grinned, “Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do…”

“I learned from the best, right? I got this,” he replied laughing lightly,

“Anyone we know?” Sami asked, still spinning herself in the chair,

Billy shook his head, “I don’t think so, she’s here on vacation with a few friends. They’re mighty fine to look at too. They’re gonna meet us after dinner, so if your Majesty starts his dick-ish antics, just call me and you can meet us somewhere.”

Sami nodded before bringing her attention back to Zack,

"Okay is that your last client? Time is ticking, and you take hours to get ready. You're getting ready at mine, right?"

Zack nodded at Sami as he sat back admiring his latest piece of art before spraying it down and wiping away the small traces of blood and excess ink.

"Yes boss, come...tell me what you think."

Sami rolled her chair to Zack, tilting her head letting her eyes admire the new school piece.

"That looks pretty damn good."

Zack smiled as he prepped the tattoo for his client to leave. Sami got up from her chair,

"I'll meet you over there. Nice ink Dave take care of it," insisted Sami.

Sami gave Zack a thumb up before making her way to her apartment, she knew Donna was going to get ready with Nicole and Katelyn. She stared at her phone noticing the relentless amounts of missed calls from her sister, and right now she didn't feel like answering a million questions, so quickly she made an executive decision to send a text instead,

"Hey...doc said it's a boxer fracture and I have a splint...should be good in a couple of days, he says a few weeks, but I know my limits so don't worry. See you at the party." Sami hit send before throwing her phone onto the recliner as she prepared to get ready.

 

Donna threw her phone into her bag before returning to applying eyeliner in the bathroom with Katelyn and Nicole,

"My sister is brain dead if she thinks I’m an idiot," stated Donna.

"What did she do now?" Asked Nicole, “What color would go better with my peach dress?”

"She has a boxer fracture and expects me to think it will heal in a few days. Go with the subtle cherry."

Katelyn smiled softly at Donna through the mirror,

"She is going to go crazy if she can't tattoo for a few weeks, because it's going to take that amount of time to heal," replied Katelyn.

"Oh, she's going to hear me when we get to the party, I'm done. She’ll end her career if she tries to push the healing process," stated an already irritated Donna.

Katelyn ran her fingers through her perfectly straightened hair letting it fall naturally over her shoulders. She was a little anxious to be wearing the strapless black dress Nicole insisted, practically forced her to buy. It hugged her figure enhancing her curves and raised just above her knees, she knew it would shock her father to see her in such a dress but for once she wanted to dress for her approval, not her fathers.

She checked her watch, "Okay ladies it's four fifteen, Jordan will be here soon."

 

***

 

"Come on man! We have ten minutes," explained Sami grabbing her keys.

Zack walked out in a salmon shirt and silver tie, spreading his arms out waiting for Sami's opinion,

"Well? How's the shirt...it's salmon, right? Not pink?" He asked her.

Sami grinned before rolling her eyes,

"Well...it kind of looks..." She waited for Zack's fed up posture to present itself,

"Salmon." She finished with a smile.

Zack's almost frown quickly turned into a smile as he noticed Sami's black shirt with a thin white pencil tie, her tucked shirt surprising him.

"You look good Sami, thanks for making the effort."

She brushed his comment away,

"Yeah, the tie wasn't so much fun, but I got it. Let's get going, I’ve to put the pedal to the metal if we have any chance of getting there on time," she explained.

Zack noticed her right sleeve cuff being unbuttoned, "Hold on..." He insisted.

Quickly he buttoned her sleeve cuff before dusting off her shirt, noticing the untidy knot followed with the unbuttoned top button deciding it was better to just not say anything, she was going and that was enough,

"Okay, let's go."

Sami shook her head as he led the way to her newly cleaned truck, stopping in his tracks, a shocked expression masked his face,

"Wow...you actually cleaned the truck. I had no idea it was black."

"Shut it. The dirt was...weighing it down, burning more gas and such," Sami’s smirk covering her lie.

Zack nodded with a sly smile,

"Uh huh sure, looks like Sami's trying to impress someone...is she back in town? Wanna tell me who she is yet?".

"Just get in the truck," she replied, her amused smirk not disappearing.

"You gotta’ tell me sometime...didn’t you know East Pines is gossip central?"

Sami rolled her eyes saying nothing.

 

Katelyn walked into the highly decorated hall, filled with gold and blue balloons shaped into arches for the entering party goers. Her mother had certainly out done herself. She noticed a lot of the people there where from firms he did business with. It wasn't unlike her father to surround himself with people of affluence, and she certainly wasn't surprised at the sight of over the top ice sculptors and waiter's serving the guests with champagne. She was taken from her thoughts to Jordan's light grip against her elbow,

"Wow...your mother went through a lot of trouble for this, it turned out beautiful," Jordan whispered admiring the color coordinated tables with gold table cloths and blue napkins.

Katelyn nodded giving Jordan a faint smile,

"Yes, my father has worked hard all his life, he's a good man, and my mother worships the ground he walks on," Katelyn finished just as she approached her parents with Donna and Nicole behind.

"Ahh, here's my beautiful daughter's and their friends," announced Arthur to Sheriff Smith and Judge Romano as he embraced both Katelyn and Nicole with strong arms. Releasing them he excused himself from his guests, resting his arms over his daughters, holding them closely to him.

Katelyn couldn’t have stopped her beaming smile even if she wanted to. After the blow up they had, and then the talk of her feelings for Sami, her father had been how he was when they were children. He was softer… Smiled more and just back to be the man she looked up to,

“Donna?” Gwen asked before embracing her tightly.

“Hi Mrs. And Mr. Jensen.” Donna replied, smiling sweetly.

“I’m glad you could make it…” Arthur turned pointing to the table by the wine fountain, “Your parents are right over there.”

Katelyn looked around her parents, unable to stop herself from eyeing the parents of Sami. Curious to who she imaged most. She swallowed slightly, knowing she really shouldn’t care but trying not to care was half the battle.

Donna nodded, “Thank you for the invitation tonight, if you’d excuse me, I better go say hello.”

“Of course, and please help yourself to as much champagne and food as you like.” Explained Arthur before turning back to his girls and stuffing his hands back in his pockets.

Katelyn watched her father’s blues studying the tall woman next to her,

"And who’s this?" He asked,

"Well, this is Jordan she is one of our new firefighters." Katelyn cleared her throat as sudden nerves hit her stomach.

Arthur smiled, "You work for the fire department, huh? That’s certainly a very brave line of work."

Katelyn noticed her father not showing Jordan as much warmth as he did Donna. She took in a deep breath pressing her teeth against her bottom lip.

"That's right, I hear you have a very successful law firm...and from what I can see I didn't hear wrong, Mr. Jensen, is that Judge Johnson and Judge Romano? My parents vacation regularly with the Romano’s," replied Jordan purposely letting Arthur know she was familiar with the high-class socialites. Anyone to have Judge Romano at a gathering was a huge indication of your social standing, anywhere not just East Pines. Soon Arthur's unamused expression matched Jordan's smile, he quickly reached his hand out to the one being held for him,

"Is that right? And who are your parents?" He asked,

“Clarence and James Mayer, from Johnston.”

“Ah, yes. I have attended many meetings alongside your father. He was a great police chief. It’s a shame he had to retire. How is his heart holding up after the surgery? I was meaning to call him, but life is life…it can get hectic at times.”

Katelyn watched on as the two talked like they had known each other for quite some time and not just five minutes ago. A small smile crept as she caught her mother’s eye roll.

“I understand. He’s doing good, still exercising and finally eating right. He has no choice really, when it comes to my mother being in control.”

“Good I’m glad. Make sure to tell him I was asking after him.”

“I will, thank you Arthur.”

Nicole instantly rolled her eyes before mumbling "kiss ass" under her breath. Katelyn caught the rude but undeniably amusing mumble, forcing her to giggle into her shoulder.

Arthur released his firm grip from Jordan,

"Where is your brother?" He asked, tracing his eyes around the many faces who came to celebrate his birthday.

Katelyn studied her father as he watched for the arrival of his son, her heart filling that the man she loved so dearly had finally come to his senses and realized the successes of his own son.

"He should be on his way, I know he was running behind he's trying to fit in as many clients to keep the business going," replied Nicole.

Quickly Arthur turned his concerned expression to his daughter,

"Did Sam leave...again?" His voice slightly risen before clenching his teeth.

Katelyn waved his concern away,

"No, no, it's nothing like that...she has a boxer fracture, so she can't tattoo for a while."

"How on earth did she do that? It’s not from…." He trailed…Katelyn catching it, obligating her to explain the details of what happened at Mick's but soon pausing when she noticed her father’s face begin to redden. She knew getting to the point was a must before witnessing her father explode at the thought of his daughter being man handled,

"So... yes Sami saw it, leapt over the bar and hit him so hard, he fell to the floor in an instant, it got a little crazy. But...it was because of me she got the fracture," Katelyn finished quietly as she broke the stare she shared with her father.

Arthur looked over at his wife's warm smile as she too learned of Sami helping their daughter. He nodded slowly, pulling his daughter into him, holding her closely to kiss the top of her head,

"Then I thank God she was there."

Katelyn looked over at an oblivious and unamused Jordan, remembering she had forgotten to tell her about the small incident. She broke her father's embrace as Nicole yelled,

"Zack...Sami! Over here!”

Zack approached, hugging and kissing his parents,

"I'm sorry we’re late, we were running late at the parlor, but we’re here now," said Zack with a huge smile and a little out of breath,

Sami walked toward Gwen holding a bottle of East Pines’ finest whiskey before embracing her softly, "I got you both this as a little thank you having me, Mrs. J...and or a birthday gift, whatever you wish," she whispered.

"Oh stop, it wouldn't be a family gathering if you weren't here," replied Gwen as she tapped Sami lightly on the arm.

"Just the person I wanted to see..." Sami turned, surprised to see Arthur staring at her.

"Happy birthday, Mr. Jensen."

"I told you, call me Arthur, and thank you, but can you take a walk with me?" He asked.

"Sure..." Sami replied, clearing her throat.

Jordan whispered to Katelyn offering to get them drinks. She noticed Jordan's sudden coldness toward her, but she honestly didn't care. At that moment, she linked arms with her mother as they watched Arthur lead Sami away from the crowd. She admittedly became drawn to the sight of Sami in her tailored shirt and tie, she looked good… Very good in fact. If you didn’t know her, you would have thought she was one of them. Katelyn cleared the familiar crave from her throat,

"What could he possibly be talking to her about mom?" A curious Katelyn asked.

Her mother shook her head, "He just needs to get some stuff off his chest. With everything that’s happened in the recent weeks…it’s long overdue. So, my dear, Jordan? Just a friend?" Her mother asked with a sly grin,

Katelyn's eyes widened, slightly taken by surprise at her mother’s undercover accusations, but she knew she knew her like no one else in the world could or would,

"Yes mom...just a friend. I promise,"

"Uh huh, you know your father and I have always known about your fluent sexuality and we have never cared as long as you were happy, but you know a mother's intuition is never wrong my dear and, forgive me for putting this so bluntly but…she somewhat reminds me of Richard."

Katelyn rolled her eyes, turning to her mother,

"She is nothing like...oh my," she paused as it dawned on her "She is like Richard!"

Katelyn placed her head into her palms, she couldn't help but realize that, that was possibly the culprit to her having such a hard time connecting with Jordan romantically. She could never understand why she wasn’t sexually attracted to the obviously attractive Jordan; Christ Tara would drool every time Jordan was present.

Her mother chuckled lightly rubbing her daughter's arm,

"It's okay my dear, just know I approve of anybody who holds my daughter's heart...but...Jordan doesn't, don't start lying to yourself again."

Gwen placed her hand softly on her daughter's shoulder tracing her fingers across her cheek, her warm eyes eased and confirmed everything Katelyn tried to fight against.

 

“How have you been holding up since the whole…Peter thing?”

Sami nodded, “Good…finally moving on.”

He nodded. "What happened to your hand this time? If you don't mind me asking," Arthur asked Sami while they walked away from everyone.

"Oh uh...I dropped a keg on it...stupid I know," Sami lied, she didn't feel like divulging to him that it was more of a one-sided bar brawl that did it. She admitted she felt uncomfortable being with the man who would never have even attempted to give her the time of day, but after the instance with Peter… She gave him a chance. She liked that he was warming to her, but she knew it was likely down to him feeling bad for her, and that just didn’t sit right.

"Very modest Sam, Katelyn told me what happened," replied Arthur.

"She did huh?" Sami said, rubbing the back of her neck realizing she had just been caught out in her lie,

He turned to her, "I want to say thank you...thank you for protecting my daughter when I couldn't and thank you for helping my son when I wouldn't," he paused. "I am supposed to be the one to teach my son how to be a man...but I never did, you did, and I can never repay you enough for that."

Arthur stared into her eyes, but not his usual cold stare, Sami could see his sincerity, Katelyn's eyes expressed it the exact same way.

"I need no repayment, or a thank you. He did it all by himself."

"He did it with your guidance. I never should have judged you, and my wife all these years kept telling me you were a good person...I should have listened. I was a terribly close-minded person…I can never express my sincere regret for that, Sam. I chose to judge you because you weren't like us...or as many might call us, uppity socialites, am I saying that right?" A smirk escaped from him.

Sami tried to hide her grin, but she couldn't when Arthur began chuckling. He placed his hand on her shoulder,

"I'll let you go and enjoy the party...if you need anything Sam, you know where I am, and make sure to go say hello to your parents." Finished Arthur. She looked as he held his hand out to her for the first time, in return she shook it.

As she watched him walk away, she couldn't help but take in a sigh of relief. She lazily rested a hand on her hip as Zack and Donna approached,

"What happened?" A clearly suspicious Zack asked, shoving a glass of whiskey into her hand.

"I think we’re officially going steady. He shook my hand...said many thank yous and a sorry," Sami's surprised expression cushioned a smile.

 

Part 8

Author's Page

Back to the Academy