Long Stay

By: Lucylee

 

Disclaimers: The characters of Xena: Warrior Princess are owned by MCA Pictures and used here without permission. No copyright infringement was intended in the writing of this story.

This story shows the loving relationship between two women. If stories about two women making love offend you, or you are not old enough to read it, please stop reading now.

Sex? Yes.

Naughty language? A bit.

Violence? It's Xena

Humor? Gods I hope so. Or else I failed miserably.

A first time story back when Xena and Gabrielle first started traveling together. Gabrielle convinces Xena to go spend some time with her family. Will Xena be able to stand staying with Gabrielle's parents? This trip will test Xena's patience and her sanity.


 

Xena sat atop Argo, enjoying the gentle sway of the mare's easy gait. Gabrielle sat in front of her. Xena noted that Gabrielle's head kept lolling to the side and she figured that Gabrielle must have fallen asleep. Xena smiled to herself. Things that would normally annoy her, she found cute when Gabrielle did them, although she would never admit it. In fact there were a lot of things about Gabrielle that she was hesitant to admit. Like the fact that she was hopelessly irrevocably head over heels in love with Gabrielle.

A sudden soft snore from Gabrielle startled Xena out of her reverie. ‘Was I just day dreaming?' Xena thought. ‘No, warriors don't day dream. Not good ones anyway.' Xena frowned as she thought about it. ‘Maybe I was day dreaming'. Xena let her eyes roam over Gabrielle's shoulders and down her arms. Gabrielle had such nice arms. Gabrielle's back was currently pressed against the front of Xena's armor. For the first time in a long time, Xena actually wished she wasn't riding with her armor on. Actually she would have preferred to be riding with nothing on.

Xena let herself slip into a fantasy where both she and Gabrielle were riding naked atop Argo, feeling their bodies rub against each other as Argo's body moved beneath them. Xena imagined Gabrielle's hair blowing slightly in the wind and her perfect pink nipples standing erect from the chill of the breeze. Xena licked her lips. She loved watching Gabrielle exit water. The coolness of the water always made Gabrielle's nipples hard and Xena wanted so badly to take them into her mouth and soothe the aching points.

Lost in fantasy, Xena didn't realize she had wrapped her arms around Gabrielle and pulled her tightly against her chest. Her breathing increased as she imagined leaning down and taking a firm nipple into her mouth, licking and sucking. She imagined Gabrielle entangling her fingers in her hair and pulling Xena's head tightly against her breast.

Gabrielle awoke to a sudden pain in her back. She had been having a nice dream about running through a field of wildflowers, when a sudden pain jerked her back into consciousness. It took her a moment, but she soon realized the cause of her pain. For some reason Xena had her arms wrapped around her and was pulling her into a crushing hug. Gabrielle was momentarily confused, but then realized that Xena must be reliving one of her dark memories and needed comfort. Xena never asked for comfort, so on those rare opportunities where Xena let her guard down, Gabrielle jumped at the chance to comfort her in any way that she could.

Obviously Xena was in need of comfort now. Why else would she have her in such a crushing hug? Gabrielle was severely uncomfortable with Xena's armor digging into the skin of her back. But Xena needed her and she was determined not to move.

Xena did not like to show her emotions and she did not like to look vulnerable. Gabrielle had to be very careful how she tried to comfort Xena. If she over did it, instead of being comforted, Xena would recoil and become distant. Sometimes Gabrielle would wake up in the middle of the night to find Xena snuggled up beside her. The few times she had rolled over to hold Xena, Xena had been mortified that she had been caught seeking comfort and would withdraw to the opposite side of the fire, with her back to Gabrielle.

Gabrielle quickly learned that the best way to comfort Xena in those times was to lay still and pretend to still be asleep. That way Xena could take comfort from her and not be embarrassed. But it wasn't as easy as it sounded. Xena was very astute, and the slightest change of breathing would alert her that Gabrielle was awake. So Gabrielle would lay there with her eyes closed, trying to keep her breathing deep and even. It was especially difficult when she could feel Xena staring at her face. She could never quite figure out why Xena did that. Gabrielle would wake up to find Xena just staring at her. She surmised that it must be that Xena was staring at her face to confirm that it was really her loving friend laying next to her, and not some demon from her past.

The pain was starting to become unbearable. Why did Xena have to be so strong? Xena's powerful arms were squeezing Gabrielle so tightly now that Gabrielle was finding it difficult to breathe. Gabrielle noticed that Xena had lowered her head onto her shoulder and was breathing heavily into her ear. Gabrielle became alarmed. It was apparent that Xena was going through some sort of trauma. The death grip Xena had on Gabrielle plus the heavy breathing led Gabrielle to believe Xena was having a horrible nightmare. She needed to wake Xena, but gently. She did not want a repeat of the one time she had been stupid enough to try and shake Xena awake from a nightmare. Her left ankle hadn't been the same since.

Xena was completely lost in her fantasy. In her mind, she had Gabrielle pushed against a tree. She was kissing every inch of skin she could reach. Her face, lips, neck, chest, breasts, shoulders, it was all so delicious. Xena was being driven wild by her passion. She was dimly aware that the bark from the tree was probably scratching Gabrielle's exposed back, but from the nice little noises the bard was making, she didn't think Gabrielle minded. Xena liked it a bit rough, but she wasn't sure if Gabrielle would, so she was trying not to just throw her down to the ground and fuck her, but she really wanted to. Just the thought of it caused a flood between her legs. Xena decided to test the waters. She grabbed two handfuls of Gabrielle's ass and pulled her roughly against her. Causing Gabrielle's thighs to open wide and Xena to feel Gabrielle's wetness pressed against her. Gabrielle threw her head back and moaned. Xena was on the brink of losing all control. That carnal moan from the woman she loved ignited a fire in her belly that was quickly becoming an inferno. Then Gabrielle moaned Xena's name.

Gabrielle was desperate now. She needed Xena to wake up, or she was surely going to die from being squeezed to death. She decided to start with softly calling Xena's name. “Xena.” Gabrielle whispered. Xena didn't respond. “Xena.” Gabrielle tried again, still nothing. Gabrielle started to panic. She wanted to shout, but she was afraid of startling Xena and Xena's arms were so tight around her that she doubted she could scream even if she needed to.

“Xena” Gabrielle moaned.

The sound of her love moaning her name caused another flood between Xena's legs. She doubted she could remain standing much longer.

“Xena” Gabrielle moaned again.

“Mmmm Gabrieelllleee” Xena moaned back

Gabrielle was filled with renewed hope. Perhaps she was not going to die. Xena had responded that time. Albeit a bit strangely, but it was a start.

“Xena” Gabrielle managed it a little louder this time.

“Gaaabrieeeellllle” Xena breathed into her ear. As she whispered into Gabrielle's ear, one of her hands trailed down Gabrielle's body and came to rest on her thigh.

The hotness of Xena's breath tickled Gabrielle's ear and she shrieked. Xena was only holding on to her with one hand now and the sudden appearance of a hand on her thigh caused Gabrielle to jerk away from it in surprise. This resulted in Gabrielle falling unceremoniously to the ground.

Xena was snapped out of her fantasy when her bard suddenly slipped sideways off the saddle and landed in a heap. It took Xena a moment to get her bearings. One minute she had Gabrielle pinned to a tree, the next she was staring at her best friend lying on the ground.

Not sure what had just happened and concerned for her friend's well being, Xena jumped down from Argo to land next to Gabrielle. Unfortunately even though her fantasy was not real, the effects on her body were. As Xena's legs hit the ground, her wobbly knees gave way and she pitched forward into the dirt.

Now Gabrielle was really concerned. First Xena has a horrible nightmare, now she just fell off of Argo. Something she was pretty sure had never happened, ever.

As Xena's legs hit the ground, she felt them go out from under her. The second Xena hit the ground, she quickly scrambled back onto her feet, trying her best to control her shaky legs. She put her hands on her hips and fixed Gabrielle with her most menacing stare. “I'll be right back” Xena growled as she headed off into the trees.

As soon as she was sure Gabrielle couldn't see her, she slumped against a tree and put her face in her hands. What had just happened? Had she really just fallen off of Argo? And worse yet, in front of Gabrielle. Xena groaned and angrily rubbed her face with her hands. ‘What is going on with me? I have got to get a grip.' Xena slapped herself a couple of times. ‘That's it. Get yourself together. I'm a warrior not some love sick school boy'. But that's exactly how Xena felt, like a love sick school boy. Lately it seemed like every time Gabrielle was near her, her heart would race and her palms would get sweaty. And she would get nervous, yes the mighty warrior princess, and destroyer of nations got nervous. ‘Oh this is not going to work at all, not at all'. Xena grumbled and began to pace. ‘How in Hades am I supposed to protect us if I can't even stay on my damn horse!' She shook her head angrily. No, she had to do something about this. She was going to get them both killed if she kept this up.

Xena reemerged from the trees to find Gabrielle sitting on the ground where she had left her, with her back to her. Xena managed to stifle her gasp. Gabrielle's back looked like she had been beaten. The swirls of Xena's armor were imprinted on Gabrielle's back and had even cut into her in a couple of places. The areas in and around the swirls were already starting to bruise. ‘Oh gods! Did I do that?' Xena thought hard. She couldn't remember doing that to Gabrielle, but she must have. It must have been when she was lost in her fantasy, she hadn't realized how tightly she had been holding her love. Xena instantly felt like the lowest creature on earth. Seeing Gabrielle like that made her make an instant decision. She had to put some distance between herself and Gabrielle. Gabrielle clearly was not safe with her now. Look what she had just done. No, Xena needed to create some distance between them before she really hurt her.

Xena cleared her throat loudly and Gabrielle turned to look at her. “Oh hi Xena” Gabrielle said tentatively. “Are you ok?”

Xena hung her head in shame. She was fine. Gabrielle was the one with all the bruises. “I'm fine” Xena said gently. “I think I must be coming down with something.” Xena didn't want to lie to Gabrielle, but Gabrielle was expecting an explanation and that was the best Xena could come up with right now.

“Oh” Gabrielle studied Xena's face. She did look flushed and disheveled. Maybe she was coming down with something. “Maybe we should stop somewhere for a few days. Get some rest and get our strength back” Gabrielle suggested helpfully.

Xena thought it over for a second. But at the hopeful look on Gabrielle's face, how could she say no? Especially after what she had just done to her. If Gabrielle wanted rest, then Gabrielle was going to get rest. “Ok, yeah, that sounds like a good plan.”

Gabrielle smiled. Xena hardly ever took her suggestions and she never rested. Xena always liked to be on the move, she just couldn't sit still. So the fact that Xena agreed so easily to getting some rest, confirmed to Gabrielle that Xena must be sick. “You know Xena, my parents live only about a day's ride from here. That would be free lodging and free food and it's such a sleepy town that I KNOW we wouldn't run into any trouble there. And I haven't seen my parents and my sister in such a long time, I think it would be nice to see them. I'm sure they miss me and would love to see us.”

Holding her breath while Gabrielle spoke, Xena tried not to let her annoyance show on her face. Gabrielle wanted to go home. The last place Xena wanted to go right now was anywhere near Gabrielle's father. The man already hated Xena. If he caught a glimpse of those bruises on Gabrielle's back, he'd probably lock Gabrielle in a cellar and organize a mob to hunt Xena down and kill her. She wouldn't blame him. If someone had hurt Gabrielle like she had, she'd want them dead too.

But at the same time, as Gabrielle rattled on and on about why it would be a good idea to visit her parents, Xena knew that she couldn't deny her. If that was what Gabrielle really wanted, then that was what they would do. It was the least she could do for her.

Xena held up her hands to stop the steady flow of reasons. Xena hadn't actually heard many of the reasons, but she didn't have to. It was plain that this was what Gabrielle wanted. She forced a slight smile. “Ok Gabrielle. We will go stay with your parents for a few days.”

“Really?” Gabrielle couldn't believe her ears. ‘Oh Xena must really be sick. She hates going to my parents' house. Poor Xena.' She tried not to let her look of pity show on her face. She knew Xena would never want anyone to pity her, even if she was on her death bed.

“Yes really.” Xena genuinely smiled this time at the look of shock and then happiness on Gabrielle's face. ‘By the Gods I love that smile'. Xena looked around for a moment before coming to a decision. “I found a clearing over here. Let's make camp for the night and head out in the morning.”

Gabrielle happily obliged. As they set up camp, Gabrielle was having a hard time not wincing as she moved. She could tell her back was bruised, but she wasn't sure how badly. She was hoping that there was no visible bruise.

Xena noticed Gabrielle wincing and felt her heart clench in her chest. She walked over to the saddlebags and rummaged through until she found the tin of salve she was looking for. Then she walked over and stood behind Gabrielle.

“Gabrielle” Xena said gently.

Gabrielle turned to look at her. “Yes?” She eyed the tin curiously.

“Your back is all covered in bruises. Let me rub this on you. It will help with the pain.” Xena wanted to beg for forgiveness, but she didn't. She just stood there holding her little tin waiting for Gabrielle's response.

“Oh.” Gabrielle was slightly startled. She knew her back hurt, but it was covered in bruises? She could see the hurt in Xena's eyes, so she tried to play it off. “That's ok Xena. I'm fine.” She turned away and resumed her chores.

Xena winced. She knew Gabrielle was just trying to be brave. “I'm so sorry Gabrielle.” Xena whispered

“What for?” Gabrielle tried to pretend that she didn't know.

“Gabrielle stop pretending like it doesn't hurt. I know it does. I did that to you. I hurt you. I….I'm sorry.”

“Xena it's ok. It was an accident.”

“No it's not ok. I hurt you. You can't see your back. It looks like I beat you!” Xena was getting upset and had to turn her back to Gabrielle.

Gabrielle gently touched Xena on the shoulder.”It's ok Xena. I know it was an accident. Look, why don't you rub the salve on it and make it better.”

Xena turned to find Gabrielle smiling sweetly at her. It took all that she had not to reach out and touch Gabrielle's face. “Why are you smiling? I hurt you. You should be mad at me.”

“Stop it Xena.” Gabrielle said firmly. She hated it when Xena blamed herself for everything. “It's not your fault that you were having a nightmare. I'm glad I could be there for you to hold on to. I'm glad I did it, and I'd do it again. Now stop feeling bad and put the damned salve on my back.” It was a gamble speaking to Xena so forcefully, but she needed to do something to snap Xena out of her self-loathing. Sometimes Xena responded positively when Gabrielle was being bossy, other times she would get annoyed. She was hoping that this would be one of the positive times.

Xena was taken aback for a moment. She wasn't used to people barking orders at her. She was normally the one to do the barking. Every once in a while Gabrielle would get in a bossy mood and start telling her what to do. Sometimes she thought it was nice that Gabrielle was taking charge and coming up with ideas of her own. Other times it just annoyed her. But this time she was prepared to do whatever Gabrielle wanted. Xena nodded.

Gabrielle slowly removed her top and Xena caught a glimpse of her pale breasts before she turned and lay on her stomach on her bedroll. Xena cringed. The bruising was even bad under her top. She knelt down next to Gabrielle and began to gently rub the salve into the cuts and bruises on her back.

Gabrielle sighed. She loved it when Xena touched her. Her touch was so gentle. Xena was not a very touchy feely person, so when she did touch her, Gabrielle reveled in it.

Being very careful to use only the gentlest of touches, Xena slowly massaged the salve into Gabrielle's back. Gabrielle seemed to be enjoying it, so she took this opportunity to just touch Gabrielle without being afraid of revealing her feelings.

Sliding her fingertips gently up and down Gabrielle's back, enjoying the feel of her skin beneath her fingers, Xena allowed her eyes to close while she got lost in the feel of Gabrielle.

Gabrielle was enjoying this immensely. Not only was Xena touching her, a rare treat, but it felt really good as well. The gentle strokes of Xena's fingers made her skin tingle. She knew she should probably just lay there and enjoy it, but she also saw a rare opportunity. Xena never liked to have girl talk, but since she was feeling so guilty, Gabrielle thought that perhaps she could use that to her advantage and get Xena talking. It was risky, but Gabrielle was feeling brave.

“Xena?” Gabrielle's voice floated softly up to Xena.

“Hmmmm?” Touching Gabrielle's skin had lulled Xena into almost a trance like state. She felt utterly relaxed and at peace.

“Do you ever think about getting married?.... Ouch!”

Xena's eyes snapped open and at the same time she inadvertently pressed down on one of Gabrielle's bruises. “Oh gods Gabrielle! Are you ok?” Xena leaned over to look at Gabrielle's face.

“It's…it's ok. I'm fine.” Gabrielle was becoming more and more concerned. It wasn't like Xena to be so clumsy. At this rate Gabrielle was going to have to start donning full body armor.

Xena sat down next to Gabrielle and pulled her knees to her chest. “I'm sorry I keep hurting you. I don't know what's wrong with me.”

Gabrielle looked up into pained blue eyes and her heart melted. Completely forgetting she was topless, Gabrielle sat up to comfort Xena. Kneeling next to Xena she put one hand on Xena's knee, the other on her shoulder. “Don't worry about it. We'll go get some rest, and everything will be back to normal. You'll see.”

Staring at her knees, Xena was trying desperately to ignore the firm young breasts that were so close to her face. She could see them out of the corner of her eye and was losing the inner struggle with herself. It would have been so easy to just turn her head and take one into her mouth. But no, no she couldn't do that. So instead she gripped her knees and set her jaw.

Noticing that her friend had tensed up, Gabrielle was determined to relax her so they could have their girl talk. “What's wrong Xena? You look tense. Here let me help.” With that Gabrielle positioned herself behind Xena, pushed Xena's shoulder straps down, and began to knead her shoulders.

Xena dropped her head to her knees. First Gabrielle was kneeling next to her topless. Now she was touching her.‘Oh gods, how am I ever going to survive this?' Xena groaned involuntarily.

Hearing Xena's moan, Gabrielle was encouraged and tried to press harder. She leaned into the massage and accidentally brushed her nipples against Xena's exposed upper back.

When Gabrielle's nipples touched her back, Xena, who had been gripping her knee guards for all they were worth, arched her back and accidentally ripped them off.

“What's wrong? Too hard?” Gabrielle had noticed Xena arch away from her touch. Then she noticed Xena's knee guards dangling uselessly from her legs where the straps had broken. “What happened?”

Xena took a deep breath. “Nothing. I've been meaning to get these fixed.” Xena unlaced her boots and tossed them in the direction of their saddle bags. “I'll get them fixed while we visit your parents.”

Gabrielle leaned around Xena to look at her face. “Are you sure you're alright? You are really tight.”

Xena couldn't contain the small bark of mirthless laughter that escaped her throat. She had bruised her best friend, fallen off her horse, broken her knee guards, and now Gabrielle's breasts were in her face again. Tight didn't even begin to cover it.”No no. I'm fine. No. Just fine. Fine.”

Since Xena looked like she was ready to kill something, Gabrielle decided to change the subject.

“Xena, do you ever think about getting married?” Gabrielle scooted around to sit in front of Xena.

Resigning herself to her fate Xena sighed “Girl talk huh?”

“Yes. Girl talk.” Gabrielle smiled.

“Alright.” Although the sight before Xena was beautiful, the torture was just too much, she needed to be able to concentrate on the conversation so she didn't say anything stupid. “If you want to put on your nightshirt, it's in the saddlebags.”

“Huh?” Gabrielle looked down at herself and gasped. She covered her breasts with her hands. She had completely forgotten she was naked from the waist up. She was used to being naked with Xena while swimming or bathing. But she had never just sat around topless before. A delicate pink blush spread all the way from her chest, up her neck, and into her cheeks.

Xena thought she had never seen anything more beautiful. She smiled. “It's alright Gabrielle. It's just me. Go ahead and put your shirt on so we can get this girl stuff over with.” Xena made a slightly goofy face that made Gabrielle laugh. She knew that Gabrielle was embarrassed and was trying to make her feel better.

Gabrielle turned her back to Xena, took off her skirt, and slid on her nightshirt. She was becoming more and more comfortable around Xena. When they had first started traveling together, Gabrielle never took her clothes off in front of Xena. But Xena had a way of making her feel relaxed and comfortable. It didn't take long before she felt completely comfortable bathing with Xena. Her mother had instilled a deep sense of modesty in her, but with Xena it was different. With Xena it didn't feel wrong.

Xena watched as Gabrielle donned her shirt. Watching the rippling muscles of Gabrielle's back, her firm butt, and thighs. Xena licked her lips.

Turning back around, Gabrielle walked over to her bedroll and laid down. She looked over to Xena expectantly.

Xena puffed out her cheeks and exhaled, she was had and she knew it. She got up and walked over to her own bedroll, that Gabrielle had conveniently placed right next to her own, and laid down. “Alright let's get this over with.”

“It's girl talk, not torture.” Gabrielle giggled.

“There's a difference?” Xena made a pained expression.

Gabrielle playfully slapped Xena's arm. “Stop it.”

“Alright alright alright. What do you want to know?”

“I asked you if you ever thought about getting married.”

“Nope.” Xena answered simply

“Never?” Gabrielle was surprised.

“Nope.”

Gabrielle rolled her eyes. “Xena part of Girl talk is actually, you know, TALKING. You have to answer with more than yup or nope.”

“Who says?”

“I do” Gabrielle said indignantly.

“Yeah, well, how do you know that's how it's done? Maybe you're doing it wrong.”

“I am not doing it wrong!” Gabrielle sat up.

“How do you know? Did you invent girl talk? I think YOU are the one doing it wrong.” Xena was fighting back a smile.

“I'm doing it wrong? Oh of all the….” Gabrielle was about to let Xena have it, when she noticed the corners of Xena's mouth trying not to twitch into a smile. “Xena!” Gabrielle playfully shoved her.

“What?” Xena laughed

Gabrielle was trying her best not to smile. She loved it when Xena laughed. “This is serious.”

“Oh. You're right. This is serious. Very serious.” Xena sat up and put on a mock serious face.

Gabrielle couldn't contain it anymore and burst into a fit of giggles. She loved this playful side of Xena. She grabbed her sides and fell over sideways into Xena's lap.

Xena was laughing too. She sat there with Gabrielle's head in her lap until Gabrielle's giggling fit had subsided. Gabrielle rolled so she was looking up at Xena. “You make me so happy.” Gabrielle said honestly.

Taken aback by such a simple and honest statement, all Xena could do was smile. She began to stroke Gabrielle's hair. “You make me happy too.”

Closing her eyes, Gabrielle relaxed into Xena's touch. She loved moments like these. Little moments where Xena didn't have her walls up and when they weren't being interrupted by some crisis. It was in these moments that Gabrielle truly felt home. That was the best way she could think of to describe it. When she lived with her parents, she had always felt like she didn't fit in, like she didn't belong there. But in these moments with Xena, everything felt right. With that thought, Gabrielle drifted off into a peaceful slumber.

A sudden and soft snoring, alerted Xena that Gabrielle had fallen asleep. She envied Gabrielle's ability to sleep. To not have past demons waiting for you the moment you closed your eyes. Xena continued to stroke Gabrielle's hair and face. When she was certain the bard was deeply asleep, she leaned over and placed a gentle kiss on Gabrielle's forehead. “I love you” she whispered.

Scooting back against a tree, Xena leaned her head back and fell asleep stroking Gabrielle's hair.

The next morning found Xena and Gabrielle in the same position as the night before. Xena awoke first. She opened her eyes and rolled her sore neck. She hated sleeping sitting or standing up. It always left her neck and shoulders in knots. But when you are at war, you sleep when and where you can. This wasn't exactly war, but Xena just couldn't bring herself to remove Gabrielle from her lap, so she slept sitting up all night with Gabrielle's head in her lap.

Xena lifted Gabrielle's head so she could slide out from under her. She cringed. Gabrielle had drooled all over her thigh during the night. Laying Gabrielle gently on the ground, Xena got up to go wipe of her thigh.

“Hera's tits. This can't be normal.” Xena mumbled to herself as she mopped off her soaked thigh with a rag.

Gabrielle woke up when Xena started rifling through the saddle bags. She felt well rested and happy. She had the most wonderful dreams. She couldn't remember what they were, but she knew they were wonderful.

“Here.” Xena tossed Gabrielle some bread and cheese. “Let's eat breakfast on the road. We need to make good time if we want to reach your parents' house by supper time.

Gabrielle's eyes lit up at the mention of breakfast and again at the mention of supper. “Ok.” Gabrielle scrambled to her feet. Her back was still a bit sore from yesterday, but it was feeling much better.

Xena walked over to check on Gabrielle's back. The swirls were gone and the bruising didn't look as bad, but she still looked like she had been beaten. “Your back looks better today. Here, let me put more salve on it.”

Removing her nightshirt and holding it against her chest, Gabrielle tried to stand still while Xena put the salve on her back, but for some reason today it tickled.

“Gabrieeeeelle” Xena warned as she was trying to gently apply salve to a squirming bard.

“Sorry Xena” Gabrielle giggled. “It tickles”

“Hold still!”

“I can't. It tickles!”

Xena was getting frustrated. She was trying to be gentle, but with Gabrielle squirming like that, she was afraid she was going to press too hard and hurt her again.

“Hold still!”

“It tickles!” Gabrielle had tears in her eyes from giggling.

“What? Are you 9? Hold still!”

“I can't!”

“Fine!” With that Xena dropped the tin of salve and began to mercilessly tickle Gabrielle's sides with her fingers.

Gabrielle shrieked and tried to get away from her. “Xena! Stop! Stop! Xena!” Gabrielle was laughing so hard tears were running down her cheeks. She had let go of her nightshirt so she could try to trap Xena's hands with her own. But Xena was too quick.

Xena ran her fingers up and down Gabrielle's sides finding all her tickle spots. She loved tickling Gabrielle. She loved any excuse to touch her.

Gabrielle was getting tired and finally turned to face Xena and slumped into her arms. When Gabrielle turned and fell into her arms, Xena was there to catch her. Xena stopped her tickling and just held her while she regained her breathing.

Gabrielle was panting into Xena's chest. If anybody else had dared to tickle her like that, she would have decked them. Lila used to pin her down and tickle her all the time. She hated it. But for some reason when Xena did it, she didn't mind. Gabrielle realized that she still had her face in Xena's cleavage and raised her head to look at Xena.

Xena smiled down at her. “What?” She gave Gabrielle a wide eyed innocent look.

Gabrielle smiled. “You know what.” Gabrielle slapped Xena on the arm. “Why did you have to tickle me so much?”

“Oh, well, you seemed to be in the mood to be tickled. So I gave you want you asked for.” Xena gave a devilish smile.

“I did NOT ask for that.”

“Yes you did.”

“I did not!”

“Did too.”

“Did not!”

“Did too.”

“Did not! Ahh!” Gabrielle had gone nose to nose with Xena, but when her nipples touched Xena's cold armor, she shrieked in surprise. Covering herself with her hands once again, Gabrielle grabbed her sleeping shift and put it on. For some reason she just didn't seem to be able to stay clothed around Xena recently.

Xena closed her eyes. The sooner they got to Gabrielle's parents the better. Xena couldn't seem to keep her hands off of Gabrielle, and for some reason Gabrielle couldn't seem to keep her clothes on around her. It was a bad combination, one that was going to drive Xena insane if she couldn't get some space away from Gabrielle soon.

“Come on. Let's get going.” Xena quickly threw her things into Argo's saddlebag, preparing to leave as soon as possible.

Gabrielle hurried to find and put on her top and skirt, threw her nightshirt into the saddlebags, and grabbed her staff.

Xena couldn't help but smile to herself. Gabrielle really was getting much more efficient. It used to annoy her so badly when Gabrielle would take forever to do anything, and she would usually screw it up. But not now, now Gabrielle pulled her own weight.

It took Xena a moment to realize she was staring. Embarrassed, she cleared her throat and swung herself up onto Argo. Then realizing it would probably be a bad idea if they rode together again right now, she immediately jumped back off of Argo.

“What's wrong?” Asked Gabrielle.

“Nothing. I just thought it would be best if we walked today, it'll be easier on your back.” Xena avoided her eyes.

The more time went on, the more Gabrielle was becoming concerned about Xena. ‘Maybe she's being driven mad by the furies' Gabrielle hoped not.

“Alright. Let's go.” Gabrielle grabbed her bread and cheese, and headed off in the direction of Potidea.

It was difficult for Gabrielle to keep up with Xena. Xena never liked to waste time and her long strides always carried her along faster than Gabrielle. At times Gabrielle had to jog a bit to keep up with her. Occasionally she would have to touch Xena on the shoulder or hand to remind her to slow down. Xena didn't mean to leave Gabrielle behind. Her natural pace was fast and sometimes she forgot that Gabrielle couldn't keep up. But today Xena's pace had gone from fast to inhuman. Her mind focused on the task of getting to Potidea, her naturally long strides became faster and longer.

Finally Gabrielle couldn't stand it anymore. She was tired and just wanted to enjoy the scenery. She reached out and grabbed Xena's hand.

“Xena where's the fire?”

“Huh? What fire?”

Gabrielle giggled “There is no fire. But you are practically running, and I just can't keep up.”

Xena noticed that Gabrielle was slightly out of breath. Then she noted the flush to her cheeks and the slight perspiration on her forehead and upper lip.

“Gods Gabrielle, I'm sorry. Why didn't you tell me sooner?”

“It's ok. Let's just slow down a bit. Enjoy the scenery.” Gabrielle still held Xena's hand, afraid that if she let go Xena would take off running again.

Looking down at their joined hands, Xena felt a flutter in her stomach. “Ok.” Xena gulped “The scenery.”

Gabrielle smiled and began a leisurely stroll down the road, holding Xena's hand. She liked holding Xena's hand. She wondered why Xena never wanted to hold hands.

“Why don't you ever think about getting married?” Gabrielle tried to pick up their earlier thread of conversation.

Xena tried to surreptitiously look around for poison berries to eat.

“Come on Xena. It will help pass the time.” Gabrielle rubbed her thumb against the back of Xena's hand.

Xena's palm instantly became sweaty. ‘What in tartarus?!?' Xena closed her eyes and willed her body to stop behaving like a teenage boy.

“Alright fine. You ask me a question then. I promise to answer you truthfully, no matter what it is.” Gabrielle gazed lovingly at Xena.

Looking into Gabrielle's eyes, full of trust and love, Xena's knees became weak.

“Uh. Ok.” Xena couldn't think. Her mind was mush. All she was able to do was regurgitate the same question that she was just asked. “Do you ever think of getting married?” Xena cringed. Did she really just ask that?

Gabrielle smiled. “Sometimes. I think it would be nice to have a family of my own some day.”

A hard knot formed in Xena's stomach. “There are all different kinds of families Gabrielle.”

“I know that. But it would be nice to have a husband and kids. You know, a REAL family.”

The knot in Xena's stomach tightened painfully. “All families are real families Gabrielle. There is not just one way to be.”

“I know.” Gabrielle smiled on, oblivious to the effect her words were having on Xena. “I love my parents and Lila and you. I just think it'd be nice to have my own family some day.”

Xena's heart sank. She could feel hot tears stinging her eyes and was fighting desperately to keep them from spilling over. She would not let Gabrielle see her cry. She balled her fists and clenched her jaw.

Gabrielle noticed Xena stiffen and wondered what was wrong. Perhaps Xena wanted a family of her own too. “Xena what's wrong?”

Taking a few deep breaths to calm herself, Xena turned to look at Gabrielle. “I thought you wanted me to be a part of your family.” She searched Gabrielle's eyes for the answer.

“I do. You are. Xena you are a part of my family. You always will be. You're like a sister to me. I'm talking about a different kind of family. “ Gabrielle was confused. Xena seemed upset and she had no idea why.

“Gabrielle family is family.” Xena was on the verge of losing it, she could feel it.

“I know that. I just mean I want that special someone, to hold and to kiss. That's a different kind of family than my parents and sister. I'd never kiss my sister. Gross!”

That did it. Xena needed to scream, she need run, she needed to… “AHHH!” Xena yelled as she suddenly grabbed her chakram and let it fly.

Gabrielle was startled when Xena yelled and threw her chakram. She watched as the chakram bounced off of trees and rocks, circling around them, before it disappeared into the woods. The chakram had never not returned to Xena before. Gabrielle wondered where Xena had thrown it and why. “What..?” Gabrielle began to ask before Xena held up her hand for silence and stalked off into the woods. She briefly wondered if she should follow her, but something about the look Xena gave her before she disappeared made her get the feeling she should stay where she was.

Xena stomped through the forest, looking for her chakram. She noticed that Gabrielle hadn't followed her. Good, she was glad Gabrielle knew to stay on the path. She needed to be alone right now. ‘Where in Tartarus did I throw it?!?' Xena hadn't planned to throw her chakram, it just happened. She needed to do something. She had felt as if she was going to explode, so she screamed and threw her chakram. She did feel a bit better, but now she had lost her chakram. Grumbling to herself she searched the trees and bushes. It wasn't hard to follow the chakram's path. The telltale marks on the trees and rocks were easy to follow, especially with Xena's trained eye. “A real family? A real family? Ha! I'm the realest damn family she's ever gonna get. Someone to hold her and kiss her. Ha! I'd kiss her senseless. She wouldn't even know what hit her. Wouldn't kiss me? Ha! She doesn't know what she's missing.” Xena grumbled aloud to herself.

Gabrielle stood on the path tapping her foot and her staff along to the beat of a song that was playing in her head. She hoped they would arrive at her parents' house soon. Maybe all Xena needed was a few good nights' rest and some home cooked meals. Rest and food always made Gabrielle feel better, so the same was probably true for Xena. She continued to hum and tap her staff. Maybe Xena needed to be pampered a little bit. Of course, Xena would never let anyone pamper her, but damn it she was going to try.

Finally Xena came across her chakram, it was buried deep into a giant tree. ‘Lovely.' She reached up and grabbed her chakram, it didn't budge. She wrapped both hands around it and pulled with all her might. Nothing. “Son of a Bacche! Adksafskldjlkasdfkhklash!!!” Xena spun around kicking leaves and slapping trees until she was panting heavily. “Alright! Have it your way! Yiyiyiyiyiyiyi! Sheeeeeeeeeeeee yah!” Xena ran at the tree , jumped, grabbed ahold of the chakram with both hands, pushed against the tree as hard as she could with her feet, and yanked the chakram loose. As Xena landed, a shower of leaves and twigs rained down on her. She looked down at herself. Her boots were covered in sap. She clenched her fists. This was just not her day. She gazed up at the giant tree. It seemed to be mocking her. Waving it's branches in a most annoying fashion. “Your mother was a sickly sapling!” She shouted up at the tree. As she turned to leave, she tripped over one of the tree's roots that had mysteriously appeared right in front of her foot. After falling face first to the ground, Xena was pelted with more debris from the tree. “Sheeeeeeeeeeeee!” Xena let her chakram fly again.

Gabrielle was startled out of her tapping and humming by a series of loud shouts and screams. She had also heard Xena's battle cry. Concerned for Xena's safety and not wanting to miss any of the action, Gabrielle hurried off into the woods in the direction of all the noise. When Gabrielle found Xena she stopped dead in her tracks. A most peculiar sight met her eyes and she had no idea what to make of it. Xena was standing there looking completely disheveled. Her hair was a mess and it had sticks and leaves poking out everywhere. Her entire body was covered in patches of dirt and sap. She was standing completely still, amid a mass of leaves and sticks, looking up at a naked tree. She appeared to be alone. Gabrielle approached carefully. “Xena?” Gabrielle inquired gently.

Xena turned her head to look at Gabrielle. She looked completely calm, but something about her eyes gave her a slightly crazed look. She had smudges of dirt all over her face. “Yeeeees?”

“Ummm, what happened?” Gabrielle made sure to keep her distance.

“What do you mean?” Xena still hadn't moved, except to turn her head at an odd angle to look back at Gabrielle.

“Uh…were you attacked?” Gabrielle carefully took a few steps toward Xena.

“Noooo. Why?” Xena smiled a slightly deranged smile.

“Well, uh, you, um, you're all dirty.” Gabrielle shuffled uncomfortably. She wished Xena would turn around and stop looking at her like that.

Xena didn't respond right away. But then she turned her body to face Gabrielle. “Oh that.” She said, looking down at herself. “I was pruning.” Xena looked back at the giant tree that was now devoid of all leaves and patted her chakram. “Yes the tree looks much better now.” She gave a wicked smile and walked past Gabrielle.

“Oh, um, yes. It looks, uh, nice.” Gabrielle had no idea what was going on. ‘Xena had the sudden urge to prune? She didn't even do a good job!' Gabrielle was suddenly having doubts about taking Xena to her parent's house. If she was as bad at farming as she was at pruning, they were all in trouble. “Xena! Wait up!” Gabrielle turned and ran to catch up with Xena.

Once they were back on the path, they both walked in silence. Neither of them had much to say at the moment. Gabrielle was concerned about Xena and Xena was in a foul mood. Gabrielle was busy trying to think of ways to relax Xena. She had to have a plan. Maybe her mother could help her come up with ways to relax her.

Xena was trying to meditate. She needed to calm her nerves and find her center. Of course, she would have rather been finding Gabrielle's center, but that was part of the problem. Every time she tried to focus, her mind was flooded with images of Gabrielle. She was angry with Gabrielle for being so blind. ‘Naïve little twit.' Xena huffed. She knew she shouldn't be angry with Gabrielle. It wasn't her fault she was so naïve. She just needed to have experiences. With that thought, Xena got lost in a daydream of all the different experiences she would like to give her.

The day wore on and the duo still hadn't said one word to each other. Gabrielle had begun humming again, but Xena didn't seem to notice. As they were nearing Potidea, they passed by a lake.

“Xena?” Gabrielle touched Xena's arm

Xena didn't notice.

“Xena!” Gabrielle grabbed Xena's arm.

Xena turned to Gabrielle. She looked slightly startled and her cheeks were flushed.

“Are you alright?” Gabrielle touched her hand to Xena's forehead.

Xena batted her hand away. “I'm fine. What were you saying?”

“There is a lake here. Maybe we should take a swim and get cleaned up before meeting my parents.”

The idea of Gabrielle naked and wet was appealing, but Xena decided that was a bad idea right now. “That's ok. Let's just go.” Xena began to walk away.

It wasn't like Xena to not want to bathe. Xena bathed every chance she got. She loved the water. “What's wrong? Afraid of getting wet?” Gabrielle joked.

Xena stopped walking and clenched her thighs together. “Yes, actually.” She mumbled.

“What?”

“Nothing. Come on, let's just go.”

Normally Gabrielle wouldn't have pushed the issue, but Xena was filthy. Her family gave Xena a hard enough time, without her showing up like that. “Um, Xena, I really think we should take a bath. You are pretty dirty.”

Xena looked down at herself. She had completely forgotten how dirty she was. ‘Son of a bacche!' There was no way around it. She was going to have to be naked with Gabrielle, again. She hoped that maybe she would slip and hit her head on a rock. That way she could be unconscious for this. “You're right. Ok let's swim.” They walked to the edge of the lake. Xena tried to look for rocks to slip on, but the ground was unmercifully flat. ‘Figures.' She huffed.

Gabrielle began to happily shed her clothes. She loved swimming with Xena. It was so fun. Sometimes they would wrestle in the water. She loved it when Xena threw her in the air. Xena was like the older brother she never had, so strong and confident. Plus she was happy to get Xena cleaned up. She could only imagine what her parents would say if Xena had shown up that disheveled.

Xena was careful to look at the ground while she removed her leathers. She did not need another eye full of Gabrielle right now. She heard Gabrielle splash into the water and figured it was safe to look up. Gabrielle was standing in the middle of the lake. It apparently was not very deep. The water only came up to the tops of Gabrielle's breasts.

The last of her clothes removed, Xena entered the lake. The water was a bit chilly and her nipples instantly became erect. Xena growled. She didn't want to be close to Gabrielle at the moment, so she stopped walking before she got to the center of the lake and began to wash herself.

Swimming under the water Gabrielle was chasing a few fish. She could never catch them like Xena. She wiggled her fingers and everything, just like Xena. But the fish never came to her. She supposed it was because Xena had such nice long fingers. Bobbing up out of the water, she turned to complain to Xena, but the sight before her made her stop. All she could do was stare with her mouth open.

Xena was standing waist deep in the water. Her tanned body was wet and glistening. She had her hands raised above her head, washing her hair, her breasts standing out proudly. With her arms raised like that, Gabrielle had a completely unobstructed view. Her generous breasts were round and firm. They jiggled slightly as Xena moved her arms, causing tiny water droplets to fall from the erect tips.

Gabrielle looked at Xena's nipples. They were darker than her own. She licked her lips. Suddenly she noticed that her own nipples had gotten hard. That was weird. They usually didn't. She put her hands over her breasts to soothe her suddenly uncomfortably hard nipples.

When Xena looked over at Gabrielle, she thought she must be daydreaming again. Gabrielle was standing there with her mouth open, rubbing her nipples, while staring at Xena's breasts. ‘Yup. Definitely a daydream.' Xena shook her head to clear it. But the day dream remained. ‘Ugh! Damn it!' Xena shook her head harder. This was getting ridiculous. But then she realized it was no dream. Gabrielle was really staring at her.

Xena's heart began to beat faster. She was afraid to move. Gabrielle seemed to be staring at her with appreciation. She was afraid if she moved, the spell would be broken. But she couldn't just stand there all day with her arms raised above her head. They were already starting to get tired.

Gabrielle was mesmerized. She couldn't look away. She rubbed her own nipples to soothe them. Her eyes followed the curves of Xena's perfect breasts. As Xena shook her head, her breasts jiggled. Gabrielle's eyes widened and her mouth began to water. That was weird. She wasn't hungry.

Xena experimentally twisted her torso to the left and right slowly. She watched Gabrielle's eyes follow her swaying breasts. She smiled. Gabrielle was really looking at her like that. Xena tried to keep calm. She loved that Gabrielle was looking her. She wondered what else she could do without breaking Gabrielle out of her trance. Xena slowly lowered her arms, being careful not to block Gabrielle's view. She brought her still soapy hands to her breasts and began to slowly spread the soap around. When Gabrielle didn't blink, she became more bold and began to massage her breasts, rubbing and squeezing. She saw Gabrielle's nostrils flare. Emboldened even further Xena arched her back and began to pinch and pull her nipples while massaging them. Gabrielle's mouth dropped open further. Xena was getting wild. Having Gabrielle watch her while she touched herself was getting her wetter than she had ever been. Xena bit her lip. She was trying so hard not to moan. Squeezing her nipples hard, her hips rocked forward in the water. She wondered what else Gabrielle would enjoy watching her do. Images of laying herself out on a boulder, with her legs spread for Gabrielle flashed through her mind. She was going to have to do something. Her hips were now twitching of their own volition under the water. She spread her legs slightly. The coolness of the water touching her hot clit made her gasp. She looked to Gabrielle. Gabrielle was still staring. Xena needed to do something, but she was afraid of going too far and scaring Gabrielle. Her swollen clit throbbed and begged for attention. Xena's hips rocked. The movement of the water against her clit excited her further. Letting go of one of her breasts, Xena slowly trailed her hand down her torso. She watched as Gabrielle's eyes followed her hand. Her groin clenched and her hips rocked forward in the water again.

Xena's entire body was on fire. She needed release and she needed it now. The coolness of the water was doing nothing to calm her overheated center. She paused when her hand touched the water. She trailed her fingers along her stomach right at the water's edge. Her clit was throbbing painfully and she wanted nothing more than to plunge her hand under the water and give herself release while Gabrielle watched. The thought of Gabrielle watching her cum was almost too much to bear. She spread her legs wider, her hips rocking desperately in the water. Xena's body began to tremble. It was too much. She was too over stimulated. She was going to cum now whether she wanted to or not. Right there, with Gabrielle watching. With that thought Xena gasped and plunged her hand under the water.

The sound of a wagon coming could be heard just as it rounded the bend. Xena and Gabrielle both gasped and ducked under the water. They stayed under until it had passed by. Xena's head popped up first. Her skin was flushed and she was breathing hard.

Gabrielle's head soon followed. Her face was also a bit flushed. She hadn't realized she had been staring at Xena's breasts. She didn't mean to. It just happened. She hoped that Xena hadn't noticed. Gabrielle looked at Xena. She looked out of breath like she had been running. Gabrielle thought that was odd. Being almost caught naked by strangers had never bothered Xena before. In fact every time Gabrielle turned around it seemed like Xena was standing around naked in front of complete strangers. Gabrielle felt her temper rise. She chalked it up to her own sense of modesty. She really wished Xena would be a bit more modest. It was ok if Xena was naked in front of her because they were friends. Best friends.

Xena's breathing had begun to return to normal, but the ache between her legs remained. “Uh, Gabrielle, I think we'd better get dressed and keep moving. We really shouldn't have tried to bathe so close to the road.” Xena was trying to get Gabrielle out of the water. She was hoping she could duck behind the boulder and finish what she had started while Gabrielle got dressed.

Gabrielle smiled bashfully. “Yeah you're right. But you really did need a bath.” Gabrielle walked closer to Xena.

Backing up, Xena said “It's ok. Let's just get going. You go ahead and get dressed. I'll be there in a minute I just need to finish…washing.”

“Xena you're clean enough. Come on. I want to make it in time for supper.” Gabrielle grabbed Xena's arm and tried to pull her from the water.

“No, really. I don't think I'm done yet. I still feel…dirty.” Xena was trying to back away from Gabrielle.

“Oh please, you're beautiful. If you were any more beautiful all the men in town would be after you.” Gabrielle wrinkled her forehead. “Actually, now that I think about it, maybe we should find you something else to wear while we stay with my parents. We don't want all the wives to be jealous.” Gabrielle smiled.

Xena couldn't help but smile. Gabrielle's smiles were infectious. “I'll be just fine in my leathers, thank you very much.”

“I don't know, I think maybe we should find something that covers a little more of your cleavage.” Gabrielle's eyes drifted down to Xena's breasts again. Then realizing that she was blatantly staring, Gabrielle cleared her throat noisily. “Come on. Let's go!” With a mighty heave, Gabrielle managed to drag Xena out of the water.

Giving up, Xena reluctantly followed Gabrielle out of the water. Gabrielle was obviously not going to leave Xena alone. ‘oh well' Xena thought. Hopefully once they got to Gabrielle's house, Xena could excuse herself and go to the barn or something. She desperately needed some alone time to give herself some relief and to calm her nerves.

They both dressed, being careful not to look at each other, then began walking once again down the road. The sun was just setting as the two entered Potidea. The streets were mainly deserted, save for a few people scurrying about trying to finish some last minute errands. As they reached the door to her parent's house, the smell of delicious cooking wafted from an open window. Gabrielle made a happy squeak and ran forward to the door. Xena stood back with Argo. Gabrielle knocked.

The door to the house opened and Lila's head appeared in the doorway. “Gabrielle!” Lila squealed.

“Lila!” Gabrielle leaped into her sister's arms and hugged her tightly.

Xena watched the display with some apprehension. She felt guilty for keeping Gabrielle away from her family. She obviously missed them. She thought about her own mother. They should probably go visit her too. She didn't visit her mother nearly enough.

After dancing around each other, Lila turned her attention to Xena. “Hello Xena” She walked towards Xena and stopped, unsure whether it was ok to touch the warrior or not.

Xena smiled. “Hello Lila.” She held out her forearm for a warrior's handshake.

Lila took Xena's offered arm awkwardly. “Um, you two are just in time for supper. Come on in and get washed up.”

“Go on Gabrielle, I'll get Argo settled in the barn and I'll be right in.”

“Oh I can do that for you Xena.” Lila offered helpfully.

“Uh. No thanks.” Xena took a step back from Lila. “Argo doesn't really like strangers.”

Argo gave an affirmative snort and bob of her head.

“She's right.” Gabrielle agreed. “She doesn't even like me.”

“She does too. She just….is slow to warm up to people. Right Argo?” Xena stroked the mare's nose.

Argo stomped her foot and shook her head no.

Narrowing her eyes at Argo, Xena grabbed her reins. “I'll just put her in the barn. I'll be right there.” Xena turned and walked away with Argo in the direction of the barn. Gabrielle and Lila could hear her muttering to the horse.

Lila frowned. “Does she always talk to the horse like she is a person.”

“Yup.” Gabrielle smiled. “Come on. Let's go get ready for supper.”

Xena found a stall for Argo and began taking off her saddlebags and saddle. She was trying to hurry. She knew she wouldn't have much time before Gabrielle came looking for her. After getting all of Argo's gear off and giving her a good brushing, Xena looked for a secluded spot in the barn where she might take care of some personal business. She noticed the ladder leading up into the hayloft. ‘The hayloft. Perfect.'

As she started to climb the ladder she heard the barn door close. “Xena what are you doing?” Xena turned half way up the ladder to see Gabrielle standing just inside the barn.

“I was…going to check the hayloft.”

“Why?”

“I just… thought I'd have a look around.”

Gabrielle rolled her eyes. “Xena it's my parents' barn. You don't have to check the perimeter.” She walked over and reaching up, grabbed one of the leather strips of Xena's skirt. “Now get down here and come eat dinner. I'm starving.”

Xena huffed. “I'll give you something you can eat.” She muttered.

“What?”

“Nothing. I said let's go get you something to eat.” Xena lied.

Gabrielle narrowed her eyes suspiciously.

“Come on come on! Let's go. We can't have you wasting away to nothing.” With that Xena reached out and began tickling Gabrielle's sides.

Gabrielle squealed and tried to wiggle free. She ended up with her back to Xena, with Xena's long strong arms wrapped around her. It was almost as if Xena were giving her a hug.

She couldn't resist, Xena took the opportunity to wrap her arms around Gabrielle and pull her close. She allowed herself a moment to just hold Gabrielle, to bury her nose in Gabrielle's hair, before releasing her.

As she released her, Xena saw the bruises on Gabrielle's back and panicked. “Gabrielle! I forgot about the bruises on your back! Did anyone see them?” Xena's eyes were wide with worry.

“I don't think so.” Gabrielle put a calming hand on Xena's upper arm. “It's dark Xena. No one was looking at my back.”

“I think you should wear a tunic while we are here. That way no one can see you back.” Xena looked at the ground.

Gabrielle couldn't stand Xena continuing to blame herself for this. She wanted to do something to let Xena know she had really forgiven her. Without thought Gabrielle put her hands on Xena's upper arms and glided them up over her shoulder, up her neck, and cupping Xena's face, tilted her head up to look into Gabrielle's eyes. Then she leaned up on tip toe and placed a gentle kiss on the tip of Xena's nose.

Xena couldn't believe it. Gabrielle had kissed her. Yeah, it was only on the nose, but Gabrielle's lips had been on her body. Usually when Gabrielle tried to show affection, Xena shied away, but not this time. She couldn't. One look into Gabrielle's eyes and she was powerless to move. The kiss on her nose sent a powerful jolt all the way down to her toes. She stood there looking into Gabrielle's eyes unable to move.

Gabrielle couldn't believe it. Xena had let her kiss her on the nose! ‘Oh she must be sick'. Gabrielle thought. Xena didn't like affection. She always shied away from it, but not this time. Gabrielle had expected Xena to back away when she tried to kiss her, or be annoyed. But she didn't.

They stood there staring into each other's eyes, looking into the depths of the other's soul. They hadn't realized it, but their arms had gone around each other.

“Gabby?” Lila's voice broke through their trance and they both hastily separated and took a few steps away from each other.

“We're coming!” Gabrielle looked at Xena. Then grabbed a tunic out of the saddlebags and threw it on.“Come on.” Gabrielle handed the saddlebags to Xena and they joined Lila outside, where the three of them walked into the house.

In the kitchen Gabrielle's father was already seated at the table. When the three entered the kitchen, his gaze immediately went to Xena and he scowled.

Hecuba was just bringing the food to the table. “Just in time. Come on girls have a seat.”

Herodutus was seated at the head of the table. Hecuba took her place at his right. “Now that my oldest daughter is back home, she can sit next to me where she belongs.” Herdutus pulled out the chair for Gabrielle. Lila sat next to her mother and Xena sat next to Gabrielle.

As they ate, Hecuba and Lila peppered Gabrielle with questions about life on the road. Lila wanted to know about her adventures. Gabrielle sugar coated them quite a bit, so her parents wouldn't worry. Hecuba wanted to know if she was getting enough to eat and if she'd met any nice boys along the way. Herodutus alternately smiled at his daughter and glared at Xena throughout dinner. Xena said very little, just the occasional “Uh huh” when Gabrielle elbowed her.

After dinner was cleaned up, Hecuba suggested the girls go get ready for bed.

Lila, Gabrielle, and Xena walked into their bedroom. Lila and Gabrielle began to get dressed for bed, Gabrielle being very careful to keep her back facing away from Lila. Xena sat on Gabrielle's bed and studied her boots.

“Xena aren't you going to get dressed for bed?” Lila inquired.

Xena looked up to answer her, but after getting an eye full of Lila's breasts, immediately put her head back down again. What was with these two and talking to her topless? “Uh. No. I sleep in this.”

“You sleep in that?” Lila donned her nightshirt.

“Yup.” Xena and Gabrielle answered simultaneously.

Gabrielle giggled. “Xena is always ready for action.”

Xena snorted. Gabrielle had no idea how ready for action she was. “Look I'm just going to go sleep in the barn.”

Both Lila and Gabrielle looked up. “Xena you don't have to do that. There is plenty of room in here.” Gabrielle offered.

Raising her eyebrow at Gabrielle's little bed, Xena turned to leave.

“Wait. You shouldn't have to sleep in the barn. We will figure it out.” Lila added helpfully.

“No. It's ok. I'll be fine.” Xena walked out of the room.

Lila and Gabrielle followed. “Xena don't be silly. The barn is no place for people to sleep.” Lila put her hands on her hips.

Hecuba looked up from washing dishes. “Who is sleeping in the barn?”

“Xena wants to.” Lila frowned.

“I'll be fine.” Xena was getting annoyed.

“Nonsense, the barn is no place for people to sleep.” Hecuba put her hands on her hips.

“That's what I said.” Lila chimed in.

“Really. I'm FINE.” Xena was trying to inch towards the door.

Herodotus, who was still sitting at the kitchen table snorted. “I say if she wants to sleep with her horse, let her.”

Four pairs of eyes turned to glare at him. Xena knew he was making fun of her.

“What? She obviously wants some alone time with that animal. I say, give it to her.” Herodotus shrugged and went back to smoking his pipe.

“Nonsense! You are staying in the bedroom with Lila and Gabrielle and I will not hear another word about any of this sleeping in the barn silliness. Now off to bed the three of you.” Hecuba turned her back on them to continue with the dishes.

Xena sighed and looked at Gabrielle. Gabrielle was standing there with an apologetic look on her face. Lila smiled triumphantly and headed into the bedroom. Defeated, Xena trudged back into the bedroom.

“Come on Xena, it won't be that bad.” Gabrielle touched Xena on the arm and smiled at her reassuringly. Gabrielle knew that Xena didn't really like being around a lot of people. She preferred her privacy.

Lila happily skipped to her bed and jumped onto it. She was sitting in the middle of it with her legs dangling off the edge. She swung her legs carelessly and smiled at Xena.

Gabrielle and Xena just stood in the middle of the room, unsure of what to do.

“You don't have to be so grumpy.” Lila mock pouted at Xena. “This will be fun! It will be just like sleepovers when we were little. We can gossip and do all sorts of fun things!” Lila beamed.

Gabrielle glanced nervously at Xena. She could see Xena's left eye twitching ever so slightly. On a normal person this may have been excused away as a nervous twitch or a mild agitation. But Gabrielle new Xena was about to reach her breaking point.

“Lila we've had a REALLY long day. Maybe we should save the talking for tomorrow. I think now we just need to get some rest.” Gabrielle gave Lila a nervous smile and turned to pull back the covers on her own bed.

Xena grunted her approval and went to the wash basin to wash her face. Her skin still felt flushed and overheated and she was hoping the cool water would help calm her skin and her nerves. The coolness of the water felt good on her skin. She could feel the droplets running down her face and off her chin. She methodically dipped the water from the basin and onto her face over and over again. Losing herself in the sensation. She entered a type of meditative state where all she focused on was the coolness on her skin, washing away her agitation. She heard Lila and Gabrielle talking behind her, but she tuned them out. She needed to relax and this felt too good to ruin with silly girl talk from silly girls.

Sighing, Xena braced her hands against the wash basin and let her head drop to her chest. ‘Silly girls' Xena thought wryly. She was in love with a silly girl. No, Gabrielle was much more than that. When she had first started traveling with her, she had been a silly girl, with a head full of silly expectations and beliefs. But not now, now Gabrielle knew about the world. Had seen things that Xena never wanted her to see, and had experiences Xena never wanted her to have. She sighed again. No, Gabrielle was not a silly girl anymore. For better or worse, Gabrielle was an experienced woman now, albeit still very naïve at times.

Xena reached down and picked up the wineskin from their bags. She smiled ruefully at the fact that Gabrielle wasn't a silly girl anymore, yet was completely oblivious to the effect she had on Xena. Turning back to the two girls in the room, she tilted her head back and took a big swallow of wine.

Lila's eyes lit up when she saw the wineskin. “Oh we could play truth or dare! Or spin the bottle!” Lila jumped up to stand in front of Xena.

Being taken completely off guard by Lila's suggestion and it's implications, Xena was helpless to stop her body's reaction. The mouthful of wine Xena had just taken, was suddenly expelled from Xena's lips, and covered Lila in a sticky red mist.

Gabrielle froze, the sight before her completely absurd. There stood her best friend, stock still and eyes wide, with wine dripping from her chin; while her sister stood equally as still, her hair, face, and nightshirt covered in wine.

“Xena!” Lila shrieked “Why did you do that?!?”

“Uh” Xena looked guiltily down at the wineskin in her hand. She wiped the wine from her own chin and looked to Gabrielle.

Gabrielle wasn't sure whether to laugh or not. The sight was ridiculous, but Lila looked furious, so she pressed her lips together and walked over to her sister. “It's ok Lila. Xena just, uh, does that sometimes. Come on. Let's get you cleaned up. Gabrielle opened the door to their room and lead Lila out, shooting Xena a questioning look over her shoulder, before closing the door.

Xena trudged over to Gabrielle's bed and sunk down heavily. ‘Why oh why couldn't they just let me sleep in the barn?' Xena banged her head against the wall. ‘This is going to be a loooooong stay' She banged her head again.

Just then Hecuba opened the door to the room. “Need anything dear? I thought I heard you knocking.” Hecuba stood in the doorway with her eyebrows raised.

Opening her eyes, Xena tried to smile. “No, I'm ok. Thank you.”

Hecuba gave Xena a curious look and then exited the room.

Xena took off her boots and lay down under the covers against the wall. Maybe if she went to sleep, she would wake up to find all of this just an unpleasant nightmare.

When Gabrielle and Lila reentered the room they found Xena already in bed, seemingly asleep. Lila narrowed her eyes at Xena, but gave her sister a hug good night and lay down in her own bed. Gabrielle walked slowly over to her bed and as quietly as she could, eased into bed next to Xena.

She remembered her bed being so much bigger. But then again she had been slightly smaller then, and she hadn't been sharing it with a very large warrior. Gabrielle rolled over onto her side to admire Xena's back. No, not large, tall, and very muscular. She studied Xena's shoulder and arm. ‘So powerful' Gabrielle smiled. She wanted to reach out and stroke that arm, but she didn't want to wake up Xena. So instead she made due with admiring her. She looked at Xena's midnight hair. It was so beautiful. She loved running her fingers through it when Xena let her braid her hair. It was so soft and silky. Gabrielle couldn't help herself, she leaned forward and put her nose in Xena's hair, inhaling her scent. She loved the way Xena smelled, leather, hyacinth, and cinnamon. Sometimes horse, sweat, and dirt were also mixed in, but Gabrielle didn't mind, it was uniquely Xena and she liked it.

Feeling movement against the back of her head, Xena's eyes opened. She hadn't been asleep, but she had been trying. She heard Gabrielle enter the room, felt her get into bed, then felt her staring at her. Her body had tensed. She tried to ignore it and go to sleep, but the feel of Gabrielle's eyes on her made that impossible. When Gabrielle pressed herself against Xena's back and inhaled, the breath against Xena's neck made her body erupt in goosebumps.

Xena mentally cursed and shut her eyes tightly. She could feel the wetness between her legs begin again and fought to contain a groan of frustration. When she felt Gabrielle take another breath against her neck, she couldn't take it anymore. She rolled to face a startled Gabrielle. They were now nose to nose.

“Go to sleep” Xena whispered.

Gabrielle just stared at her. Shocked and embarrassed about being caught sniffing her best friend. ‘Xena must think I'm some kind of freak.' Gabrielle panicked. ‘Quick say something helpful!' She tried to think of something witty to say, but she was finding Xena's eyes, that were glowing in the moonlight, very distracting.

They stared at each other for a long moment, Gabrielle was entranced by Xena's eyes. She couldn't look away. She felt like she was being drawn into them.

Tired and frustrated, Xena tried again. “Go to sleep.”

Gabrielle blinked.”Oh, right, sorry.” She blushed with embarrassment again. What was wrong with her? Xena was going to think she had lost her mind. “Good night Xena.”

“Good night” Xena rolled back over to face the wall.

All was quiet and still as Xena was finally drifting off to sleep. She could tell by Gabrielle's breathing that she wasn't asleep, but at least she wasn't staring at her or sniffing her anymore.

Gabrielle was trying her hardest to hold still. The bed was a lot smaller than she had realized. She desperately wanted to change positions, but she didn't think she could do it without bumping Xena.

Slowly and carefully she rolled over onto her back. That was no good. One side of her hip was touching Xena, the other side was sticking off the bed. She tried again. This time she slowly rolled onto her side facing away from Xena. That didn't work either. Now she was butt to butt with Xena and her knees were sticking off the bed. Xena liked to sleep in the fetal position, so even though her knees were against the wall, her butt was on Gabrielle's side of the bed.

Gabrielle grunted in frustration. She had always admired Xena's butt before. Bronzed, muscular, and perfectly shaped, but now Xena's big butt was on her side of the bed and keeping her from finding a comfortable position. She grunted again and tried to change positions, but her legs had become slightly tangled in the covers. ‘This is ridiculous' She thought. She wiggled a bit to try and free her leg. Nothing happened. Giving in to her frustration, Gabrielle kicked her leg to free it and rolled onto her side at the same time, effectively kneeing Xena in the butt.

“Ah! Hey!” Xena was startled when something hard slammed into her tailbone. She was still awake due to all of Gabrielle's shimmying around, but she hadn't expected pain. She rolled over to once again face Gabrielle.

Gabrielle now found herself nose to nose with a very irate warrior. Her glowing blue eyes had taken on a look of malice.

“What was that for?” Xena demanded

“Sorry. Accident.”

Xena glared.

“What? Do you honestly think I would knee you in the butt on purpose?”

“You've kicked me in the butt before on purpose.” Xena narrowed her eyes.

“Yes, but that's only when you are being obnoxious and deserve it.” Gabrielle smiled.

Xena opened her mouth to argue, but Gabrielle leaned forward and kissed Xena on the nose, then rolled over. “Good night Xena.”

Effectively silenced, all Xena could do was stare at the back of Gabrielle's head. Her nose tingled where Gabrielle's lips had been. She briefly wondered how long she could get away with not washing her nose. Xena wiggled a bit and discovered that she was pinned between Gabrielle's back and the wall. She closed her eyes and sighed as she realized she had no choice, but to spend the night spooning with Gabrielle. She looked up to the ceiling. “I don't know which one of you is doing this, but it's not funny!” She whispered to the ceiling. Surely one of the Gods was torturing her.

“What?” Gabrielle murmured sleepily

“Nothing. Go to sleep.”

“Ok.” Gabrielle sighed and wiggled her butt more snuggly against Xena.

Xena gritted her teeth and suppressed a shudder. ‘This is going to be a looooong night' She thought. There was no way in Tartarus that she was going to do this again tomorrow night. No way in Tartarus.

The next morning found Xena and Gabrielle in much the same position as the night before, only in sleep Xena had relaxed into the position. Gabrielle was snuggled closely against Xena. The length of her body pressed up against Xena. A faint smile played upon her lips. Xena was completely spooned around Gabrielle. Her face was nuzzled into Gabrielle's hair. She had her arm wrapped around Gabrielle's waist, where her hand rested comfortably against Gabrielle's tummy. Even Xena's leg had somehow managed to find it's way between Gabrielle's.

Xena awoke to the sound of movement outside. Before opening her eyes, she listened to the sounds, searching her surroundings for danger. When she sensed none, she slowly opened her eyes. How long had she been asleep? She noticed that the sun was up. Normally Xena was up before the sun, it was very unusual for her to sleep in. She shifted her body a bit and realized the position she was in. Her eyes widened as she realized she had spent the night in a very intimate embrace with Gabrielle. She started to try and extricate herself, but then stopped herself. She realized how good this felt, to just hold her. Gabrielle was still asleep, she reasoned. So there was no reason that she couldn't lay back down and enjoy this for a few more moments.

Xena lay her head back down on the pillow and rested her face against Gabrielle's hair. She loved the way Gabrielle smelled. She inhaled Gabrielle's scent and enjoyed the feel of her body pressed against her own. She let her fingers idly play with Gabrielle's stomach. When they had first started traveling together, Gabrielle still had a bit of baby fat. There had been the tiniest pooch to her stomach, but not now. Now it was as flat and hard as a washboard. Xena smiled as her fingers played with the ab muscles.

Gabrielle woke feeling warm and happy. She didn't know why. She must have been having a good dream. Or maybe it was just seeing her sister again. She really had missed Lila. But then she became aware of a funny feeling on her stomach. Sleepily, she almost brushed it away. Thinking it must be some kind of bug, but she stopped herself. She realized there was a hand caressing her stomach. Momentarily startled, Gabrielle tensed.

Xena felt Gabrielle tense and immediately stopped all movement. ‘Shit!' she cursed herself. She hadn't meant to caress Gabrielle that long, and she certainly hadn't meant to wake her up. ‘Shit shit shit!' Xena lay perfectly still. Hoping Gabrielle would go back to sleep and not remember this.

Gabrielle immediately took stock of her surroundings. She was in her old room, there was Lila still asleep on the other side. ‘Wait, so that means…' Gabrielle realized that the hand belonged to Xena. She relaxed. For a moment there she was afraid she had stumbled into some stranger's bed. She smiled at the absurdity of that thought. Gabrielle had little more than chastely kissed a few boys. She did snuggle with that one boy that one time in the temple. But that had been far from risqué. Gabrielle almost laughed. She would never sleep with a stranger and even if she did get inebriated enough to make a bad decision, Xena would be there to stop her. Xena…. Gabrielle had almost forgotten. She realized that she was snuggled up against Xena. It felt nice. Xena's body was soft and warm against hers. Then she remembered what had awoken her. Xena had been playing with her tummy. Gabrielle smiled. ‘Poor Xena. She's been pinned between me and the wall all night. I'll bet she has to pee. It was nice of her to try and wake me up gently.'

Xena held her breath as Gabrielle rolled over. She was sure Gabrielle was going to be horrified at what she had been doing and kick her out of bed immediately. But she was surprised to find a smile on Gabrielle's face.

“Good morning Xena” Gabrielle smiled

“Morning” Xena said nervously.

“Did you sleep well?” Gabrielle scratched her belly

“Uh. Yeah. Sure.” Xena lied

Gabrielle continued to smile “I'm sorry I kneed you in the butt, and I'm sorry I had you pinned to the wall all night.”

Xena's loins tightened at the thought of Gabrielle having her pinned to the wall. Then she felt herself getting wet again. ‘Oh no! Not again. This has got to stop!' Xena closed her eyes as if in pain.

“I'm glad we finally found a comfortable position to sleep in. It was very comfortable. We will have to remember that for the next time we are sleeping in close quarters, like if we have to share a hammock on a ship or something.”

Xena whimpered slightly. In her mind's eye she could see herself and Gabrielle, naked, spooning in a hammock. The gentle rocking of the ship, moving the hammock slightly, causing a delicious friction of their bodies.

“Oh Xena! I'm sorry. I'll bet you have to pee.”

“What? Oh yes! Pee! I have to pee!” Xena said a little louder than she'd meant to.

With that, Xena threw the covers off of herself and nearly leaped out of bed. She wanted to put as much distance between her and Gabrielle as possible. Hurrying from the room, Xena closed the door behind her.

Staring at the closed door Gabrielle shook her head and smiled. Xena could be so funny sometimes.

Xena felt much better after having relieved herself. She had bolted from Gabrielle's bedroom and startled Hecuba in her hurried march through the kitchen to get outside. She hadn't noticed with everything else going on with her body that she indeed did need to pee quite badly.

Walking over to the side of the house, Xena sat down among some bushes. She was in the mood to be alone right now, but knew the second she stepped foot back in that house that she would probably be accosted by three very enthusiastic and overly helpful women. She groaned. So yes, now Xena mighty Warrior Princess was hiding in the bushes. No one knew she was there and it seemed as safe a spot as any. She didn't want to risk getting up and going for a walk, knowing full well that Gabrielle would probably spot her and want to come to.

So she squatted there in the bushes with her head bowed and eyes closed, listening to the sounds around her and concentrating on her breathing, trying to relax and calm her frazzled nerves. The sound of someone noisily clearing their throat brought Xena's head up. Standing at the front door with his hand about to turn the handle to go inside was Herodutus. He stared at Xena with a baleful look. Only Xena's head was visible to him. “Listen warrior, I know you are used to living in the woods like an animal, but here in civilization we use the outhouse”. He wrinkled his nose. “Make sure you clean that up when you are done”. Muttering to himself about heathens and animals Herodutus made his way inside the house and closed the door behind him.

Gabrielle had gotten up and gotten dressed. She was helping her mother in the Kitchen when her father came stomping into the house. It was clear he was in one of his foul moods so she decided to give him a wide berth.

“What does that warrior do with you?” Herodutus demanded of his eldest daughter.

“Excuse me?” Gabrielle was surprised by the question.

“What does that warrior do with you?” Herodutus repeated. “Where do you take shelter? Do you always stay outside? Does she have you living like some kind of damn animal?!?” He was working himself up into a frenzy, shouting at the end.

Gabrielle was having trouble figuring out where all this was coming from. “Father I don't understand. Why are you so angry?”

“Because I just saw that warrior shitting in our bushes!” Herodutus yelled, face red with anger.

All Hecuba and Gabrielle could do was stand there and stare at Herodutus. After all, what do you say to an announcement like that?

Lila chose that moment to exit the bedroom. Sleep tousled hair all over her head and face still puffy with sleep. “What's all the yelling about? Gabrielle what did you do now?” Lila yawned as she sleepily shuffled to the table and sat down.

On the defensive, Gabrielle put her hands on her hips. “I didn't do anything”.

“Oh yeah?” Then why is father so mad? No one can make him mad like you Gabby.” Lila chucked to herself remembering just how frustrated Herodutus would get with her.

“Well it wasn't me this time.” Gabrielle stomped her foot. Something about being back in her childhood home was bringing back her childish mannerisms.

“Oh yeah right. If it wasn't you then who…” Lila was cut off by a yell from outside.

All four members of the kitchen turned to look out of the window in time to see Xena kicking Argo into a run and galloping full speed down the road.

“Ooooh what did I miss?” Lila leaned forward in her seat. Wide awake now and ready for some good gossip.

“Nothing Lila, just drop it”. Gabrielle sighed. “Father I don't know what you saw, but Xena is not an animal. I'm going to go find her and figure out what's going on”. With that, Gabrielle walked outside to go try to track down Xena. She had a feeling she knew where she had gone.

Hecuba walked over and gingerly placed her hand on her huband's arm. “Now dear don't be so hard on Xena”. At her husband's warning look she continued carefully. “I don't think she means to behave like an animal. Maybe she just wasn't raised right.”

Herodutus snorted in response.

“No I really think she just needs to be taught the proper ways to behave. And since our Gabrielle has her mind set on traveling with this woman, I think we ought to try and help her.” Hecuba spread her hands in supplication.

“If that animal ever hurts Gabrielle I will hunt her down.” Herodutus stated firmly before exiting the house and slamming the door behind him.

Xena paced around the edge of the lake. She had to do something or she was going to explode. She couldn't believe what Herodutus had accused her of. Then to go inside and tell the whole family, she was outraged. She was getting sick of that little man and his little jabs toward her. Something was going to have to give and she was seriously considering it being his neck.

After pacing away a path in the grass, Xena began to calm down. She finally stopped pacing and sat on a rock at the edge of the water. She had always found water to be very calming. Xena knew that Gabrielle would probably be joining her soon. Gabrielle seemed to always know where to find her.

Deciding it would probably be a good thing if Gabrielle showed up and Xena didn't look like some kind of angry lunatic, she stared out over the water letting the stillness calm her. She had to get her emotions under control. She hadn't been this out of control in a long time and that scared her. Bad things happened and people she cared for got hurt when she'd lost control in the past. She loved Gabrielle deeply and she'd be damned if she was going to let Gabrielle get hurt. With renewed confidence in herself Xena sat up a little straighter and waited for Gabrielle.

On cue Gabrielle made her appearance at the edge of the lake. She could see Xena sitting on a rock on the opposite side. Her eyes were closed and she looked as if she was meditating. Gabrielle took the opportunity to study Xena. To look for any telltale signs of stress or signs that she was losing her mind. She couldn't find any. Xena looked completely stoic. Eyes closed, head held high and proud, completely unmoving. Gabrielle always marveled at how she could do that.

She studied Xena's face. The proud jaw and chiseled features, she truly was beautiful. Gabrielle was glad that Xena's eyes were closed so that she could continue her perusal, but she also wished that they were open. She loved looking into Xena's eyes, especially when they were unguarded. There was such power and emotion in those dazzlingly blue eyes. Sometimes Gabrielle found herself getting lost in them. She tried not to. She didn't want Xena to think she was weird. But they were just so beautiful. Sometimes she just couldn't help staring. But then again pretty much everything on Xena was beautiful.

Gabrielle's eyes traveled down Xena's smooth neck to her chest and across broad shoulders. Xena was so strong. Gabrielle was constantly marveling over Xena's muscles. Then her eyes drifted to the bit of cleavage that was peeking out of the top of Xena's leathers. Gabrielle subconsciously licked her lips. She had seen Xena naked loads of times. Remembering the last time she had seen her naked, Gabrielle's breathing began to increase. She remembered Xena's breasts standing out proudly as she had her arms raised above her head. Then she remembered Xena washing her body, rubbing her hands over her breasts to wash them. Gabrielle knew she shouldn't have been watching such a private moment, but she just couldn't tear her gaze away. It was like she was in a trance, knowing she should look away and yet unable to. It wasn't until she had heard the sound of that wagon coming around the bend and had to quickly duck under the water that the spell was broken. She had been embarrassed about staring at her friend like that, and had no idea why she had done it. But Xena didn't seem mad and didn't say anything so Gabrielle figured she hadn't been caught staring. She was immensely grateful for that. She didn't want Xena to think she was some kind of weirdo pervert or something.

Xena felt herself being watched and slowly opened her eyes. There she found Gabrielle standing on the opposite side of the lake staring at her. It was a very small lake, so it was not hard to tell where Gabrielle's eyes were aimed. Xena swallowed, remembering the last time she had caught Gabrielle staring at her breasts and what she had done about it. Briefly she considered trying to seduce Gabrielle again, but quickly thought better of it. It had ended so awkwardly last time that she just wasn't up for trying that again. Not yet anyway. Unfolding her legs and standing up, Xena began to do some stretches.

Pulled from her frank inspection of Xena's cleavage by her sudden movement, Gabrielle blushed. She hoped once again that she hadn't been caught staring. What was wrong with her lately? Whatever it was she had better cut it out. Xena was sharp and very rarely missed anything. It was only a matter of time before Xena caught her and yelled at her for being some kind of freak.

Realizing that she was now awkwardly standing there watching Xena stretch, Gabrielle walked around the lake to stand next to her.

Xena stopped her stretching when she felt Gabrielle standing next to her. She straightened up and looked expectantly at Gabrielle. She wasn't sure what to say. She also wasn't sure what Gabrielle was going to say. Ever since they arrived here it had been one unfortunate incident after another. Knowing that the bard was always the one for words she decided to just wait and see what Gabrielle had to say.

Trying to read Xena's thoughts was always interesting. Gabrielle had gotten a little better at it than when they had first met, but only marginally. She prided herself on being a good judge of character and being able to read people was a big part of that. It also helped quite a bit while haggling. But Xena was the hardest to read person she'd ever met. It was that damn warrior's mask of hers. Face completely neutral and stoic, while her eyes remained guarded, revealing no emotion of any kind. She almost looked bored. It took Gabrielle a while to not be offended by this look when they had first started traveling together, but then she had realized quickly that was just another way Xena protected herself.

Since her face was in full guarded mode, Gabrielle knew that she was upset. Trying to lighten the mood, she suggested one of Xena's favorite activities. “Come on Xena, let's go for a swim!” Gabrielle smiled brightly.

Xena's eyes darted over the water then back to Gabrielle. She wasn't sure being naked with Gabrielle right now was a good idea.

Gabrielle reached out and took Xena's hand, tugging toward the water. “Come on Xena. It'll be fun. We need some time to relax.” Gabrielle smiled and crinkled her nose slightly. Xena hated it when she did that. It made it nearly impossible to tell her no.

Taking a deep breath and sighing deeply Xena agreed. “Alright.”

“Woo hoo!” Gabrielle began to enthusiastically remove her clothes.

Removing her's at a much slower pace, Xena kept her eyes on the ground. Hearing Gabrielle splash into the water, she figured it was safe to look up. It was. Gabrielle's body was covered up to her shoulders in the slightly murky water. Finishing up with her own clothing, Xena slowly made her way into the water.

Desperate to put a smile on Xena's face, Gabrielle splashed her. Xena shot her a warning look. Sticking her tongue out, Gabrielle splashed her again. Xena tried to look menacing. Heart beating wildly in her chest as she knew what was about to come, Gabrielle splashed her again.

With a roar and a lunge Xena grabbed Gabrielle in a bear hug and then flung her across the water. Laughing as Gabrielle flopped into the water like a fish and then bobbed up sputtering.

“I'll get you for that Warrior Princess!” Gabrielle tried to sound tough, while she coughed on the water she had swallowed.

“Oh yeah” Xena raised the legendary eyebrow. “What cha gonna do about it huh?” her smile was feral.

Gabrielle swallowed. That look always caused something in the pit of her stomach to lurch and pull almost painfully. “Well….I'm not going to tell you.” She finished lamely.

Throwing her head back with laughter, Xena momentarily took her eyes off of Gabrielle.

Taking the only opening she knew she was going to get, Gabrielle threw herself and Xena and tried to pull her off balance to dunk her.

Xena caught an airborne Gabrielle just as she came crashing to her. Now they were lost in a tangle of legs and arms. Gabrielle was trying desperately to dunk Xena and Xena was trying desperately to not accidentally hurt Gabrielle, while not losing at the same time.

It was now a full out wrestling match. Each of them getting the upper hand for a moment, just to lose it again. They were both so involved in their competitiveness that it took Xena a few minutes to register what was going on. The realization slapped her in the face when she felt Gabrielle's clit rub against her stomach. Immediately taking stock of the placement of all their parts, Xena's stomach lurched. She was standing in the water with two handfuls of Gabrielle's firm ass. Gabrielle had her arms around Xena's neck and her legs wrapped around Xena's middle. With her legs spread wide enough that her clit was rubbing against Xena's stomach, their breasts rubbing together.

Gabrielle noticed Xena stop moving. “What's wrong?” She asked, not bothering to change her position.

Xena, for her part, hadn't moved either. She was afraid to. One part of her never wanted to move. She just wanted to stay pressed intimately like this to Gabrielle forever. The other part was mortified that they had ended up in this situation and was afraid that Gabrielle would realize it and run screaming from her. Xena slowly released her backside and Gabrielle slowly slid down her body until she too was standing in the water. Gabrielle's hands were still around Xena's neck. Xena now had her hands resting on Gabrielle's back.

Whimpering slightly with disappointment, Gabrielle stood still pressed against the tall body in front of her. She loved wrestling with Xena, but the warrior was always the first one to call it off. Gabrielle never wanted it to stop. It was so much fun, and though she'd never admit it, it felt good too. Xena's skin was so soft, yet firm. She loved the feel of it against her body. She knew it was wrong and that she shouldn't be having thoughts like that, but she couldn't help it. It wasn't her fault that it felt good.

Knowing this was going to get awkward quickly if they just stood there, Xena dropped her hands and stepped back. She cleared her throat, “Well that was fun, but I think we'd better be heading back.” With that Xena walked past Gabrielle and began to put her clothes on.

Gabrielle was taken aback a bit by the icy tone in Xena's voice. It almost sounded as if she were angry. Xena's mood swings were becoming more and more frequent and confusing. One minute they would be laughing and having a great time, the next Xena would be completely closed off, almost seeming angry. Every time she tried to broach the subject, Xena would either ignore the question completely or seem to become even more withdrawn. Something was going to have to give, but Gabrielle wasn't sure what. Realizing she was still standing there completely naked, Gabrielle turned around to start gathering her own clothes.

Xena finished lacing her boots and looked up just in time to see Gabrielle turn around. The bruises on her back looked much better. Most of them had faded to a very pale shade of yellowish green and some had disappeared altogether. Xena thanked the gods for her knowledge of herbs and medicines. It had saved countless lives countless times. Not to mention made the everyday bumps and bruises of the job more tolerable. If it wasn't for the salve and Gabrielle's massages, she'd probably be one big knotted up bruise.

Letting her eyes roam up and down Gabrielle's back she considered that after her bruises healed all the way, some much needed sparing practice would be in order. After a long strenuous workout no doubt they would both be in need of a rub down. A wicked little smile curved the corner of Xena's mouth as she imagined them trading massages. Running her large hands up and down Gabrielle's muscular back, Hearing her groan in pleasure and beg for more.

 

To Be Continued in Part 2

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page