Authors Note: Hey, this chapter is written in Gabrielle's POV. I'm happy about all the emails and comments I've been getting for this story and I'm glad you guys like it so far. If you want to email me, my email is jacklavigne13@hotmail .com

Thanks!

It Should Be Me

Chapter Three

I felt like I was going to explode. I was exhausted both mentally and physically after the past several weeks of preparations for my wedding. I came close so many times to just calling the whole thing off. Everyone wanted a piece of me, to know what I thought about some stupid detail. The thing is, I truly couldn't care less about any of it. All these thoughts of flowers, seating arrangements and writing my own vows was making me second guess everything. What was I doing? Did I really want to marry Miranda? To be honest, I hardly even know the woman. We fight all the time and since she proposed to me, we've only been fighting more. I know she loves me and I care for her dearly, but I don't know if I can do this.

So many different thoughts went through my head when she asked me marry her. It felt like she was on her knee in front of me for hours, when it was only a minute or so. I couldn't believe it. I remember wondering what my friends and family would think of me marrying this woman. None of them had met her or even heard about her. How would she be as a wife? How would I be as a wife? Did I even want to get married? And then last but not least, what would Xena think?

I think that's what pushed me to say yes, and now I'm regretting it. A part of me wanted to hurt Xena with this and I didn't think it through. Now, it seemed that it was hurting me most of all. I'd made another mistake because of my broken heart. And then I did something even more stupid.

I invited Xena to the wedding.

I really don't know what I was thinking when I sent her that invitation. I didn't think she would come and yet here I am, hoping she will ride through those gates to free me from this prison I've put myself in. I was told half a candlemark ago that more guests were on their way into the village. So many had actually shown up already. My family was here along with Hercules and Iolous and several other friends I had met in my travelling. I wondered if Xena would come. I know she would send Eve to my wedding, but would she be able to watch me marry someone else? Was this whole thing hurting her as much as it was hurting me? Did her heart break like mine did when she left me here? Did she regret it?

My thoughts were cut off by the sound of the gates opening to accept our new arrivals. I felt my heart leap into my chest as I caught sight of Cyrene. I had missed her so much. She was like a mother to me. Behind her, I was more than surprised to see Alexandria, looking more beautiful than ever. I spied my daughter sitting in front of her, a strong arm wrapped around her waist. They all smiled at me brightly as I walked towards them in what felt like slow motion. My eyes were on the entrance, waiting for her. I was always waiting for her.

My heart fell as the Amazon's closed the gates behind the small party. Xena wasn't coming. I should have known that she wouldn't be able to stand the thought of me marrying someone else. Why would she come to my wedding? There is no way in Hell I'd ever be able to watch her marry someone else. My heart broken, I walked to my friends to greet them.

"Momma!" I was shocked when Eve called me her mother and even more shocked when she threw herself at me. I didn't know that she thought of me like a mother and I wondered what Xena had said to her to make her start. It didn't matter. My heart swelled with love for my daughter and I held her tightly.

"Hey baby," I grinned, pulling back to look into her eyes, so much like her mother's. She'd grown even more in the moons since I'd seen her last and she looked beautiful. "It's good to see you."

With Eve resting on my hip, I turned to Cyrene who looked at me happily. She wrapped me up in a tight hug and told me how much she had missed me. Tears came to my eyes when she told me that she was happy for me, despite everything. If only she knew how I really felt.

I gave Eve to her grandmother as I turned to face the last guest. I didn't know what to expect from Alexandria and I wondered why she was here. This couldn't be easy for her either. I stood in front of her and smiled weakly and was surprised when she smiled back. Even more surprised when she pulled me into her arms.

"I didn't think you would come," I muttered honestly as I wrapped my arms around her. I had come to care greatly for this woman who had broken her own heart by trying to give Xena and I another chance.

"I wouldn't miss this for anything."

I pulled back finally and caught a glimpse of mischief in her eyes and frowned. She grinned as she leant towards me to whisper in my ear. "I thought you might like to know that Xena is camped out in the forest, not far from here. She came for you."

She pulled back and I looked up at her with wide eyes, fighting against the large smile that wanted to take over my face. She came for me. It didn't really change anything but just knowing that she was here for me made everything better.

By the Gods, she came for me.

To be continued in Chapter Four.

 

Return to the Academy