Not A Day Goes By

by Paully Adams

abbaspice1@aol.com


INSPIRATION DISCLAIMER: I wrote this in a few minutes after hearing Lonestar's "Not A Day Goes By" for the first time. After hearing the first line, I knew the song was made for X&G. Thanks for the inspiration of the song. Xena, Gabrielle and any other characters featured in the actual TV series are copyrighted to MCA/Universal and Renaissance Pictures; just borrowing for this story. Thanks for 
writing/creating two of the best characters I've ever had the honor to see.  The rest of the story is mine. 

Spoiler/Timeline Disclaimers: Story is set after FIN 1 and 2.

SUBTEXT: Yes, it's here, and yes it's truly subtext. I know what I believe...but no matter what you believe, I think you will enjoy the story.


It had taken moons, but I finally reached my destination.  Years ago, I made a promise to bring you here, thinking that I would be the first to go. After all, you was faster, stronger, wiser than me. But you decided otherwise. And not a day goes by that I don't regret that
decision.

I glance down at the urn once more, before sealing it in the sarcophagus. Time is suppose to heal all wounds, at least that's what I've been told. And yet, after all this time, there is a hole where my heart once resided. And not a day goes by that I don't feel the agony of life without you. 

Even in death...those words, and you, still haunt me.  Somehow, there is a part of you that remains. Buried deep inside the best part of me, you are still here. You are still with me. And not a day goes by in which I hope that this is some kind of trick or nightmare from which I will one day wake up.

When the pain becomes too much, I see you. I have a picture of you inside my heart. I still can see your blazing blue eyes.  Sometimes they are filled with mirth, sometimes sadness. At times regret and love. And each time, the image ends with you telling me that you want to spend your last seconds with me, looking into my eyes. The nights are the hardest. When the sun sets, the air turns cold. And all I want is you.  Laying by my side. Your head on my heart. And not a moment goes by that I don't think about you.

Those moments have turned into days, the day into moons, and I know the moons will eventually turn into seasons. Will I go through eternity feeling this way? No. One day I will be reunited with you. And not a day goes by in which I'm not tempted to rush the process 
myself, to give death a helping hand.

But then...

A moment goes by. I feel your strength. I feel your hope. I feel your love. It runs through me like a river, carrying me along, taking me to a safe shore. After all this time, you are still with me, giving me the courage I need to live.

Not a day goes by that I don't feel you. Not a day goes by in which I don't think about you. Not a day goes by in which we don't love each other. 

Not a day goes by...

Back to the Academy