' Gabrielle on the Chalcis Ferry'

By Phineas Redux

 

Contact: Phineas_Redux@yahoo.com

—OOO—

 

Description:— Gabrielle crosses the turbulent Euripus Strait separating the island of Euboea, and its city of Chalcis, from the Greek mainland. On the short voyage she becomes acquainted with the other passengers.

Disclaimer :— MCA/Universal/RenPics own all copyrights to everything related to ‘ Xena: Warrior Princess ' and I have no rights to them.

This is the 3 rd in the ‘ Xena's Exploits ' series

1. Xena and the Island Fortress.

2. Xena and the Scythian Spy.

—O—

Gabrielle stood on the wide flat sandy beach, looking across the one hundred to two hundred feet of choppy water between her present position—the island of Euboea, and its fair city, Chalcis,—and the distant Grecian mainland; though not all that distant, really, when you considered the narrow Euripis Strait. What's the problem , Gabrielle thought, with her usual snappy attitude well to the fore, More a puddle than a stretch of water. Hope the ferryman doesn't try'n overcharge me—I wouldn't like that!

She had arrived at this particular spot on the beach, just off the main road passing along the shore which gave the citizens of Chalcis a sunny wide seaside promenade, at a casual jog on her brown mare Tempest; and had immediately spotted the narrow stone-covered incline serving as a sort of pathway down to the edge of the water where the small ferry would haul up to load and unload. Casting a glance out over the narrow stretch of water she couldn't pick out the ferry from the multitude of other boats of all descriptions which appeared to be clogging up the Strait, to no visible purpose, as they headed in both directions up and down and across the waterway. Meanwhile, hanging around somewhat listlessly on this preparatory spot, were a divergent group obviously waiting there for the same purpose as Gabrielle.

As a way of passing whatever amount of time it would take the still invisible ferry to arrive, Gabrielle dismounted in one fluid movement to stand four-square on the pebbly sand, holding the reins and patting the pony's neck whilst also giving an appraising glance round at her erstwhile fellow passengers. She eyed the miscellaneous mob with keen interest, always liking to meet new people. The mob on the other hand viewed the heavily armed woman,—dangerous-looking sais tied to her boots, and a sword in a vertical back sheath,—with varying amounts of nervousness, recognising an Amazon warrior in a flash; and most, quietly but purposefully, inched away to a safer distance: Amazons often having, it was well-known, a propensity to short tempers alongside an inclination to resort to violence at the least perceived insult.

There were a mixed bag of people for the blonde fighter to exercise her gaze on. A man and his wife, both in their late twenties, accompanied by a sheepdog; a mature woman and a younger beside her, trailing a little toddler while grasping a baby in her arms; a youth with a donkey loaded with full panniers; a young woman, with long flaming red hair, dressed in Germanic leather leggings, linen shirt, and strong boots, with a small pony; who also, Gabrielle was almost certain, was an Amazon; another young man and a girl, obviously sweethearts; a young woman, hardly more than a girl, with a small herd of goats who clustered round her; and a single man in his forties who could have been anything: quite a crowd, in fact. Gabrielle began, idly, to wonder how big and capacious the ferry would be—she so hating to be crowded or pushed around in a heaving throng.

Drawn by the children she made her way across the crunching sand to the two women with the toddlers. Walking right up to them she extended a hand in greeting to the elder woman.

“Hi, I'm Gabrielle; looks like you're going over on the ferry too, eh? Pretty chill wind blowin' this morning. Hope the crossing ain't choppy.”

The woman took the offered hand, grasping it firmly; and, inclining her head from her sitting position on the sand, gave the blonde a wide smile.

“Hello, I'm Alekto—this is my daughter Dianthe, and her children. Nice to meet you. You are far from your normal climes, I think.”

“Yeah.” Gabrielle nodded affirmatively. “I'm on a trek t'Athens, t'meet a friend there. And you?”

“Oh, We've just been to visit friends, and go to the market.” The woman glanced at her daughter. “These are our purchases, in the two baskets.”

“Here, lem'me help ya with those.” Gabrielle bent down to hoist the strap of the nearest lidded wickerwork basket, and was surprised at its weight. “Say, you've surely raided the market, an' no mistake. I'm jealous. Hope it didn't cost too much. Prices these days are insufferable, don't you think?”

“Oh, just the essentials, food, wine, flour, and whatnot.” The woman turned to her daughter with a smile. “Here Dianthe, I'll take the baby—you chat with the lady. There, that's right.”

The baby was exchanged and the young woman stepped nearer the blonde warrior, with a look of shy interest.

“We don't have many chances to, er, talk with Amazons—mother and I, that is.” The young woman smiled gently as she spoke, chestnut brown eyes sparkling in the sun. “Not that a lot don't come through Chalcis, of course; but we mostly tend to see them from an, er, distance, in passing. Have you been in the city long?”

“Nah, just heading on through. I arrived yesterday, on a sea-going ferry from a small port in Chalcidice.” Gabrielle winced at the memory. “It was a pretty fair voyage, but still, y'know. I mean t'reach Athens in another day or two. Anyways, d'you come from very far—to visit the Chalcis market?”

“No, not really; we live, mother and my husband and I, in a pretty villa in the countryside on the slope of one of those low hills you see in the distance, over on the mainland.” Dianthe turned to point, with raised arm, at the line of rolling scrub-covered hills some two parasangs or so away, stretching along the horizon. “When you stand on my terrace you can see the Euripis Strait, and the boats, and, of course, Chalcis itself—when it's not too hazy.”

Gabrielle had been subtly examining her companion as they spoke together. As a result, she could see the women, and the children, were dressed in plain but good quality clothes; not flashily coloured or with fancy designs, but just respectable in a restrained way. It was obvious that the women were, if not overly rich, at least well-off; though, again, they seemed not to be in the habit of giving themselves airs.

“May I sit with you, on the crossing? I'd like that.” Gabrielle beamed in her gentlest manner; knowing how easily nowadays her unrestrained, somewhat alarming, grins tended to put people off—she blamed Xena's influence, of course, for this sad deterioration of her friendship skills. “Looks like there'll be a full passenger list, eh?”

“We'd enjoy your company, thank you.” Alekto spoke up from her seated position where she held the hand of the young female child; who was engrossed in gazing, with wide open eyes, at the exotic Amazon. “There should be enough room for everyone, I think. The ferry is quite large; larger than you'd imagine, at first sight.”

“S'long as I can get Tempest, here, aboard, I won't worry.” Gabrielle grinned again, and nodded to her new friends. “Think I'll go an' mingle with the other passengers for a bit. I like t'be nosey that way. See ya soon.”

Hauling her pony's nose round she took a few strides across the shingly pebbly sand to where the other people were patiently awaiting their transport. Closest were the young couple with the shaggy haired sheepdog. To Gabrielle's experienced eyes, and she had a lot of experience nowadays, they were the essence of farming folk—stocky, sun-burnt, and clearly well-used to hard physical work. Their dog, also, had that sharp intense knowing look of an intelligent companion. As the Amazon walked across it eyed her carefully; then sat down tranquilly, paws spread out in front of it, happy with its assessment.

“Hi, looks as if the ferry'll have a good crowd aboard, when it finally arrives. How long does the crossing usually take, d'ya know?” She cast another glance, as she spoke, over the intervening stretch of blue white-capped water; but still couldn't identify the boat under discussion. “Will it really have room for my pony—as well as all these other animals an' people?”

The couple were both, as far as Gabrielle could determine, somewhere in their late twenties and clearly happy together. Their clothes were strongly made of wool dyed in brownish green tones, which gave them a sense of being as near to the earth as their occupation in fact necessitated in reality. They both stood proud and face-on to their surroundings, as if comfortable with their position in life. It was the man who replied first to the Amazon's questions, with a smile creasing his tanned face as the three stood together on the gently shelving sand.

“Yes, ma'am, don't have any worry about that. Plenty o'room aboard.” He raised a hand to take off the soft woolen Phrygian cap, with its forward pointing rounded top, which he wore. “It's a flat-bottomed sort o' a thing—but plenty o'room nonetheless. You, ah, goin' to the settlement on the mainland, yourself?”

“Nah, I'm headed for Athens. There's a lady there anxiously awaiting my arrival—or, at least, she better be.” Gabrielle grinned again, at the thought. “Three more days should see me right. And you and your wife? Goin' far?”

“No, ma'am.” The young woman spoke up, smiling at the pleasant Amazon. “We have a small farm just over on the mainland; about three parasangs to the south-west, close to the range of hills you see on the horizon. Take us maybe half a day to reach home, once more.”

“We left our wagon and horses at a small Inn over there.” The man nodded happily. “The road's quite good down along the coast; so we won't waste any time. We had a fine day at the Chalcis market; made some good money.”

His wife, with a smile, gripped the man's arm gently as he carried on talking unrestrainedly.

“Here, Dion, the lady won't want to be bothered with our poor activities.” She tugged at his arm, laughing the while. “And how many times have I told you not to talk about money to anyone when we go to market? Begging your pardon, ma'am.”

“Oh, don't mind me.” Gabrielle laughed too. “Your wife's right, Dion. You can never be too careful, when it comes to money. Well, I hope you have a pleasant ride home.”

Before the conversation could be continued further the young man with the heavily laden donkey gave a shout, raising his free arm to point over the water.

“Here comes the ferry.”

Turning to look out over the busy waterway Gabrielle eyed the variety of craft sailing, or being rowed, through the channel. After taking in a panoramic view of the mixed boats she fixed her gaze on one in particular, now coming into focus as it clearly headed for the waiting passengers on the long beach. It was being propelled by a single rather tattered sail, set right forward. As it came head-on for the sandy incline its wide beam was startlingly obvious, enough indeed to accommodate four horses standing abreast quite easily. Its deck sat no more than waist-high above the level of the choppy waves, while the bow was low and squat, formed by a short planked gate which could be raised and lowered to allow the entrance and exit of people and animals. There were two men standing near the front of the boat, crewmen awaiting the moment when the shallow-bottomed barge touched ground. Gabrielle thought she could just make out a third at the stern, holding what must be the boat's tiller. Suddenly it was close inshore; there were a few calm orders given in a deep carrying voice by one of the men at the bow; cries of anticipation from those waiting their turn on the beach, echoed by the many passengers crowding on the ferry itself; then came a soft scraping, a whoosh of folding canvas as the sail was lowered, and a clank and thud as the one-piece bow-gate was lowered forward to hit the uneven cobbles of the landing-incline.

Next came the usual crowding and fluster as two streams of people tried to take up the same space simultaneously; the arriving passengers disembarking while the new passengers attempted to clamber aboard as quickly as possible, in the face of all odds. Gabrielle wisely stood firm, immobile amongst the flowing currents of these opposing forces, letting nature take its course.

“Great Artemis. I've been in quieter battles than this. Hey , watch it!”

Finally some sort of order was restored, as the last of the arrivals jumped onto the sand with evident relief, while the new passengers settled themselves and their livestock as comfortably as possible. The three crew stood near the forward mast, holding a conference in low grunts and whispers. Eventually the man who was apparently the designated captain turned to the group of expectant voyagers; waving an arm for attention as Gabrielle, hauling on her pony's reins, clambered onto the low and now freshly crowded deck.

“Listen up, d'ye hear?” He had a short black beard; cheeks burned reddish-brown with exposure to the seawinds; and a gruff voice. “The ferry-manager up on the beach has already taken your payment, so all y'have t'do is enjoy the crossing. It won't take but a trifle o'time; y'see how narrow the Passage is. It's about one hundred and thirty feet wide just around here; but the ferry'll need to take a wider longer route across, because of currents; maybe just over a cable's-length,—that's about maybe one stade, or a smidgen more'n six hundred of these newfangled feet. But there's ways an' means o'doing these things, an' right now we're in sort'a a delicate position. So this is what I'm gon'na do—”

“What's the problem? Something wrong? I'll want my money back, if we ain't goin' t'cross, y'know.”

This from the single unaccompanied man, whose only baggage appeared to be the heavy deerskin-wrapped satchel carried in his left hand. The captain turned slightly to gain a good look at this possible source of mutiny; but, having decided that the man didn't in fact comprise any real danger in this area, gave a loud prolonged sniff before continuing.

“What we've got here, at the moment, ladies and gentlemen, is adverse weather conditions—and somewhat constricted space t'move about—”

“How d'ya make that out, captain?” The young man who still hugged his sweetheart firmly in his manly grip gave voice with a touch of humour. “The sky's blue all over, an' the water's pretty smooth. Why, I could swim across in half a jiffy, if I was so minded.”

“If I was so minded, sir, I'd let you do so.” The captain had gained experience of all sorts and conditions of men, women, and assorted animals in his time. There was no situation which he had not met with before. “However, bein' a fair and a kind sort'a a individual, I ain't goin' t'allow such—so sit easy, sir. No, what we have goin' on here is a concatenation o'circumstances the like o'which only comes t'pass four times a day, here—an', unhappily for us, one o'those times is now.”

“Anything dangerous in the offing, captain?” Dion spoke with a firm calm tone, his dog at his feet.

“Well, that depends on a number o'things.” The captain shrugged his wide shoulders. “Let me explain. As y'can see the Strait ain't all that wide—a cable's-length at most, in fact, as I said. But there lies the problem. We got the tide flowing through, from North t'South as we speak, and it's at its height right now. It might not be clear to any landlub—to those who ain't experienced with the sea's ways, but it can flow at an amazing speed—and in the narrow confines, as y'all can see for yourselves, of the Euripis Strait it does just that. If I was t'take the ferry out into the water right now, even with the sail up an' catching the wind right, we'd still be hauled pretty far down the Strait before we could hit the opposite shore.”

“How far down, captain?” Dion spoke for all the now quietly listening passengers. “I mean, out of sight of the settlement on the other side, over there?”

“Hades, no.” The captain allowed himself a short bark of a laugh. “Nothin' like that. The wind's in the right direction, so we can use the sail properly. I'd have to set course pretty far over to starboard though, heading towards the far entrance of the Strait, t'make up for the ebb of the current. By doin' such we'd eventually, as it were, end up back where we started—only over on the other shore. That's my plan. I wanted t'let y'all know, just in case you thought I was tryin' t'kidnap you and set sail for the open sea—which, in course, I ain't, havin' a steady job. Oh, by the way, the Strait's pretty busy as it is, t'day, as y'can also see. We may need'ta hop an' skip around the other boats, as needs must. OK there, boys, let's haul off an' get some water under this tub. It's a little fresh today, friends; so don't be afraid of some choppy seas maybe comin' aboard now an' then—perfectly normal; an' don't worry, I haven't sunk yet!”

Having had their attention directed to it the passengers, now taking more than a merely casual interest in the whitecaps sparkling over the water's surface, looked warily out over the Strait. While apparently calm inshore on both sides of the waterway out in the middle it could be seen the water was actually disturbed enough to have a constant series of surging white-capped waves flowing randomly, seemingly without regard to the prevailing wind. A certain quietness now descended on the previously relaxed crowd of passengers, even Dion's sheepdog putting its forefeet on the low bulwark and regarding the wide sheet of water with a lugubrious expression.

The sailor by the Captain's side leaned down to haul on a rope, raising the low ramp which also functioned as the bow of the boat. Tying it off with another rope wrapped round a belaying-pin on the bulwark he turned to join his master who had picked up a long oar. Wielding this expertly the two men stuck it into the soft sand and heaved together. With the man at the stern pushing the tiller over to port the the low-set boat gradually came off the beach with a scraping crunch of pebbles to float in its natural element with a slight bouncing motion. The two sailors then turned to the forward-set mast and in a couple of well-trained moves the sail rose high in the air, crackling as it billowed into a curve as the breeze filled it.

Meanwhile the passengers settled in their various positions on the wide-beamed boat. The young woman, maybe eighteen, stood with her goats near the man at the tiller—the herd seemingly well used to their situation and crowding round her legs without any unease. Alekto and Dianthe, with her children, stood to the port side somewhat further along the boat. Next to them the couple who were clearly sweethearts still held hands together, looking out over the low starboard bulwark. In the centre of the deck the youth with his heavily-laden donkey and the young woman with her pony stood more or less together. Close to the mast, where the captain and his crewman were occupied with the sail, Dion and his wife along with their sharp-eyed dog looked back at the Chalcis shore as the boat pulled away into the main stream. While ahead of the farmer Gabrielle held the reins of her pony with, close to her right shoulder, the single man with his deerskin bag. Her intent glance moved across the crowded deck then out over the blueish-green water: the voyage, short as it might be, had begun.

Chalcis was a major port and merchant city, being a well-known stop on any sailor's voyage across the northern parts of the Aegean Sea. Ships from countries further north made it a destination for their cargoes of olive oil and assorted merchandise; while a substantial Greek Navy presence was based there—it being the perfect haven for the triremes and biremes. The only downside was the particularly narrow Euripis Strait separating the island of Euboea from the mainland. Opposite the city of Chalcis itself the stretch of water was, as the ferry captain had already made plain, hardly more than 400-600 feet across. This might have been seen as a positive point in its favour; but the fact that the tide reversed four times a day, and in the confined channel picked up immense speed causing strong arbitrary eddies, made crossing the narrow passage something of a guessing game at these times. This also meant there was no safe expanse of calm water where boats could swing at anchor awaiting their chance to enter the city harbour. Such vessels having to settle for anchorages in the approaches to the north or south along the coast where the deeper, less constricted, waters lay.

The Strait did not just separate the island from the mainland, but was also the passage for a large traffic in ships coming from Chalcidice heading south for Athens and points further out in the Mediterranean Sea; with many other vessels routinely sailing north through the Euripis Strait every day, not all by any means stopping on their way at the harbour of Chalcis. This, as Gabrielle was now able to view with her own sea-green eyes, created a counter-flow of vessels of all nations, types, and sizes, going about their businesses in numerous directions at once—all in a tightly confined space. The likelihood of serious trouble ensuing had been realised for so long that a plan, of sorts, had been put into operation by the navy; this consisting of a bireme, designated as the Harbour Control Vessel, sailing up and down the Strait trying to keep order amongst the passing boats—with generally little success, if the truth be told. Today, on a bright breezy morning, seemed to be a particularly busy period with literally scores of vessels sweeping across the surface of the choppy water along the whole length of the Strait; the various sails, of all conditions and shades, making a colourful sight—for anyone not actually engaged in trying to cross the unnervingly disturbed water.

Harumph! ” With this all-encompassing critique of the situation the blonde Amazon turned her attention to those other passengers alongside her on the ferry. By her side stood the single man with his tightly clutched deerskin bag. “Well, looks as if we're gon'na have an, er, interestin' passage, eh?”

The man vouchsafed no answer to this perfectly innocent remark, merely giving the woman beside him a vinegary look while holding more tightly still to his luggage. Apparently he didn't think that engaging in polite conversation with his fellow passengers was a necessary adjunct of his fare. Raising an eyebrow Gabrielle turned on her heel, in a marked manner, walked down the centre of the crowded vessel and set-to introducing herself to the young girl with the group of remarkably well-behaved goats.

“I like your herd.” Gabrielle smiled widely at the girl. “You seem to have them well-trained.”

“Oh, I look after them gently, and don't shout or scream when they're a little exasperating.” The girl returned the warrior's smile unaffectedly. “They respond to loving handling, y'know. I'm Eunike, by the way.”

“Gabrielle.” The Amazon gripped the wrist of the girl companionably. “Must be a long journey for you; taking a herd o'goats across to Chalcis an' back—what is it, twice every six days or so?”

“Oh no, maybe only once every seven days.” Eunike laughed quietly. “But still, I manage t'make a reasonable profit, thank Goodness.”

“Have you far t'go, over on the other shore?”

“No, just a parasang or a bit further, to where my little smallholding is.” The brown-haired girl grinned at the thought. “And glad I'll be t'get home, too. It's a long day, all in all.”

“Sure is. Hope you have a pleasant journey home.”

Gabrielle smiled and walked on a few paces, to where the red-haired legging-clad young woman stood by her pony. By a quirk of position they were as far from other passengers as it was possible to be. By speaking quietly, and using a dialect known and used only by Amazons, Gabrielle thought it likely they could have a fairly private conversation together.

“Hail, Lady. You go on a long journey?” Gabrielle grinned widely as she spoke, ensuring the girl recognised her friendly attitude. “Glad to meet you. You are an Amazon, I think?”

Turning to gaze into two grass-green eyes, the red-haired girl appraised the blonde woman now standing by her side. Short blonde hair; short top, ditto skirt; calf-length boots, with two sais attached; a sword carried in a back-sheath; an attitude which spoke of physical action and capability; use of the private Amazon speech; and an open, assured expression. This surely and certainly, was another member of her race.

“Bremusa, Amazon of the Laconia Tribe. You?”

“Gabrielle, Queen of all the Northern Amazons.”

This unexpected news came as a clear shock, Bremusa rocking backwards on her heels an instant before regaining her composure.

“Arh, ah, uur.”

“Don't worry, I'm incognito, as the Romans say.” Gabrielle put her hand gently on the forearm of the young girl. “I'm heading for Athens, and my partner waiting there,—with tears of anticipation in her eyes, I hope. We don't see much of the Laconia tribe, in the north.”

“No—no.” Bremusa spoke more firmly, having regained control of her feelings. “It is a surprise to me to see you! We hear of your exploits, of course; but I didn't think to set eyes on you until the Winter Solstice Meeting, on our annual journey to your mountain fastnesses. I am glad to meet you, my Queen.”

Gabrielle grinned widely, as they stood companionably together; it made her happy to find another Amazon to speak to.

“You're pretty far north as it is, Bremusa?” The Amazon Queen raised her eyebrow enquiringly at the pale-skinned girl.

“I've been on a personal trek to Artemisium, in the north of Euboea. There's a small temple to Artemis there.” She ran a hand through her flaming locks. “It was a promise to a fallen comrade. I am glad I went. It was—comforting, in a way I didn't expect.”

“Yes, these things can be so. It often helps heal raw wounds to do these things. So, you are heading home, now?”

“Uh-huh.” Bremusa had shed the last of her shyness and spoke more clearly and confidently. “I'll go through Athens, just because it's on my way. I could take a sea voyage, or by-pass the city—but it's just too much trouble.”

“That's great, Bremusa.” Gabrielle was overjoyed at this plan. “This couldn't fit in better, for me. If you agree, I should be honoured by your companionship alongside me on my own journey there.”

“It is my honour, my Queen.” The girl broke into a wide grin. “Two Amazons together, on the open road heading to Athens—will that not scare people, do you think?”

“Ha! I doubt it.” Gabrielle laughed quietly. “Xena and I do it all the time. Think the locals are resigned to such as us, by this time. Anyway, Xena and I can always take care of ourselves. Can you take care of yourself?—Bremusa of the Laconian tribe?”

“You bet, my Queen.” The girl laughed in her turn, lowering her voice and making a quiet gesture towards her pony. “If an opponent does not quail before my rage, they may well shrink before the power of my sagaris.”

“You carry a sagaris?” Gabrielle was impressed. “Those long-handled axes are dangerous weapons, in the right hands. Ah, I see. That somewhat lengthy thing wrapped in deerskin.”

“Yes.” Bremusa nodded confidently. “I do not boast when I say I can handle it with some skill, as many have found to their cost. We need fear no bandits on our journey, my Queen. You and I together can defeat all.”

“Let's hope it won't be necessary.” Gabrielle laughed as she watched the girl tighten the strap holding the narrow bundle across the top of her left-side saddle-bag. “I don't want to return to Xena covered in somebody's blood. She'll only think I'm showing off.”

The two women stood together amicably for a moment longer; then Gabrielle made known her intention to cross over to speak to the youth with his donkey. It took only a matter of three paces or so and she was alongside the young man, who looked to be somewhere around eighteen to twenty years of age. He had long curling flaxen hair; a strong-jawed face with regular features; was about five feet eight inches in height; and had the beginnings of a powerfully muscular frame forming. His donkey had two panniers of a deep but narrow rectangular shape made from closely woven wicker. Standing by them she saw they each contained, in double rows, about thirty small terracotta wine-amphorae, probably with slightly rounded curved bottoms—these all being closely packed with straw to keep them safe.

“A wine merchant, eh?” Gabrielle started out on the conversation with a light-hearted tone. “Is it a rare vintage?”

“Ha, yes, pretty rare. Not so easy to come by in this region, anyway.” The youth seemed quite happy to talk with his fellow passenger, looking at her from clear light brown eyes. “ It is brought overland from distant Macedonia; then to Euboea by boat; after which I generally find I can make something of a good bargain, for a few amphorae. The wine sells well in Thebes, where I live.”

“That's not really so far. It is a fine city.” Gabrielle nodded, having a clear knowledge of the region. “Just a few parasangs away, over into Boeotia. My partner and I passed through on our way to Delphi and the Games, one year. Fond memories. I wish you well on your journey, and may you find many dry-throated wine-bibers eagerly awaiting your return.”

“Thank you, and the same good wishes for your own journey, lady.” He glanced down with a smile at her boots, with their sais strapped tightly on the outer sides. “Though I don't think you need much Luck; you seem well enough provided for as it is.”

“Ha, let's hope so.” Gabrielle grinned as she turned back towards the centre of the boat. “First, we have to survive this crossing. Look, I think the disturbed water is approaching fast. Better see your donkey is firmly tied to that wooden frame.”

Gabrielle stepped back to stand beside Bremusa once more, who had already perceived the coming difficulty.

“This is not a high-sided boat, my Queen, I think we're goin' to get wet soon enough. I have your pony safe here beside mine.” Her red hair blew in the wind, which itself appeared to be increasing in strength and turbulent nature; the boat too beginning to rise and fall sharply over the increasing waves. “Are the other passengers alright?”

“You stay here, I'm going back to those two ladies, with their child and baby.” Gabrielle nodded at her companion; gave Tempest a comforting pat, receiving a whinny in return; and set off towards the rear of the boat. “Keep a strong grip on something; an' don't fall overboard, I'd only have to jump in too, to save you.”

With the Amazon girl's laugh ringing in her ears Gabrielle walked aft to the place where the women were crouching with the child firmly held in Alekto's arms, while the baby was all but invisible underneath the folds of a woolen blanket in Dianthe's tight grasp.

“Are you both alright?” Gabrielle crouched by Dianthe's side. “Your baby comfortable? Looks like it'll be a little bumpy for a short while now. Watch out if any waves splash aboard.”

“Thank you, I think we're fine, at the moment.” Dianthe smiled at the blonde Amazon. “It is kind of you to take the trouble.”

“It's nothing.” Gabrielle grinned confidently. “I'll just stay here, an' keep you both company as we negotiate the disturbed water. It can be frightening; but I'm sure the captain has it all under control.”

As if on cue the man himself, standing upright by the mast, gave a call which drew everyone's attention.

“Ladies an' gentlemen, this is about it.” He swung round, giving all the passengers both to the bow and stern the benefit of his assured self-confidence. “There's goin' t'be a short strip o' water that's, ahem, rather wild. The boat'll buck around somewhat—up an' down, as well as from side t'side. Rocking around, I suppose you'd call it. But there's absolutely nothin' t'disturb your minds about. We ain't goin' t'sink; much as it may appear that way for a short spell. Just hang onto somethin' solid or already tied down, an' you'll be out on the other side in calm water before any o' ya have time t'remember some short invocation t'Zeus—never mind actually recite it. OK, here it comes, hang on—and don't mind any water that comes aboard, it's only passing through.”

The Strait being a mere cable's-length across at its widest point, and the turbulent water coursing through the centre of the channel, there wasn't that much of a distance for the ferry to cover; but this was increased as a result of the boat having to sail across at an angle, because of the wind. Negotiating the central band of choppy waves was, therefore, going to be that much extended by the direction they were forced to take. And the waves were now really disturbed and wild, as if a minor and very concentrated storm was raging along that narrow strip of the Strait; while on both sides all was relatively calm and normal. It was certainly the strangest sight Gabrielle had ever seen.

As they had run across the open stretch of water they had been accompanied by a mass of other ships and boats to either hand; now it could plainly be seen these had been keeping to two relatively clear paths on either side of the central strip of disturbed water. To the ferry's starboard side a largish cargo boat, with high bulwarks and a tall mast, was also negotiating the danger area; only with no apparent eye for those around it attempting the same. It was now, Gabrielle suddenly realised, perilously close—and skimming ever nearer with each passing moment. However, the captain had this hazard under control; with a sharp command to the man at the tiller, and further quiet orders to the sailor by his side, the ferry's head came round a point or two, the sail was turned to port a trifle, and the distance between the two ships quickly increased till the threat was past. Gabrielle was not the only one aboard to heave a sigh of relief.

Suddenly the full force of the racing cross-currents and vortices caught the boat in their powerful grip. The bow reared into the air a moment, before crashing back onto the surface in a welter of foam and broken water; much of which flew backwards to soak those near the bow. Then a curious sideways motion seemed to affect the boat as it slewed obliquely across the fragmented waves. For what seemed an eternity the ferry seemed to be surrounded by a wall of splashing foam breaking almost to a woman's or man's height all round. Salt water appeared to be everywhere, crashing over the low bulwark; splashing around the passengers' ankles; soaking into the pieces of cargo and belongings lying around. Objects not firmly placed or tied down now took on a life of their own, rolling under people's feet; hitting their knees; or in some cases breaking open, spilling their contents all over the increasingly cluttered deck.

At the same time, as the captain had rightly predicted, the boat began trying to break all the known laws of Aristotle's Physics by trying to head in six different directions at once—up, down, to port, to starboard, backwards, and forwards; all with a curious twisting lurching motion which, for Gabrielle at least, suddenly brought the realisation that her breakfast was now going to become public knowledge in a very messy way. Her first design, to let go of Dianthe's arm, whom she had been clasping in a tight hug, and reach the side to throw up, being over-ruled by circumstances and lack of time; instead she leaned forward and was violently sick on the deck planks where she crouched.

While all this was going on the ferry's unruly movements were accompanied by a variety of sounds; the creaking and groaning of the boat's structure, under great pressure and tension; the sails and ropes squealing in opposition to the strains put upon them by the rapidly changing stresses of each moment; the crash and rush of sea-water breaking against the ferry sides, coming over onto the deck, splashing everywhere indiscriminately, and getting into everyone's eyes and soaking their clothes. All attended by the at first angry, then outraged, then weakly frightened, cries and shouts from the passengers as various aspects of the bucking race over the shattered surface of the Strait took their effect on different personalities.

Gabrielle quickly recovered her senses, though still feeling much like a wet peplos being slapped against a river rock on washing-day, to turn back to Dianthe again. She put a hand round the bent shoulder of the young woman protecting her baby, then glanced at the rest of the boat's passengers.

Near her the wine-buyer's donkey had planted its legs foursquare and stood immobile, disregarding the surrounding mayhem with a regal disdain; further forward the young girl Eunike's goats clustered in a tight group, while she crouched beside them with compressed lips; to one side Dion and his wife stood together holding each other; their sheepdog standing firm by his owners' legs, looking on the dramatic scene with a stout determined sharp eye. Gabrielle couldn't see Bremusa for the two ponies being in the way, but to the port side the man with the deerskin satchel half sat on the deck hugging his worldly goods to his chest as if they were his only child. Other passengers were visible only as dark shapes or fleeting shadows as the bucking boat made individuals stagger from side to side, or lose their footing for a moment on the soaking deck. Cries of fear, words of comfort, and yells of pain as someone knocked their knees against a hard surface, rang out. All this, supplemented by the groaning of the boat's fabric; the squealing rigging; and the splash and rush of the incoming water, reflected a scene of drama, anxiety, and in some cases near panic.

Not too far from Gabrielle's present position the two young sweethearts, as she figured them to be, sat close by the side of a hatchway, its coaming lending them some protection. The man, in his mid-twenties, fair-haired and square-jawed, had his arm round his younger slimmer brown-haired partner, who was showing clear signs of distress at the ongoing situation. Gabrielle, with a soft word to Dianthe, rose to clamber over the pieces of cargo, personal belongings, and boat's equipment rolling around the deck as it continued to buck and jump underfoot like a drunken bull.

“Hey, everything's fine. Keep tight where y'are, an' you'll both be OK.” She crouched by the young girl's side, taking her wrist in a strong grip. “Nothin' t'worry about; just a little rough for a while. We'll soon be over on the mainland. Not long t'go. Hey, mister, keep a tight grip on your partner, you'll both be right enough. Look at me, am I down-hearted? Nah! I've been in communal bath-tubs that've had a stormier surface than this. This's just kid's play, believe me.”

Gabrielle's tone was so self-assured; and her wide grin, allied with sparkling green eyes greener than the sea-water splashing everywhere; was so persuasive the girl managed a smile in her turn, hugging her partner closer as he leaned protectively over her small frame.

Gabrielle rose once more to stagger back to where Dianthe and Alekto sat by their children. As she moved she looked out over the surface of the Strait and was amazed by the scene before her. The broken water was making the ferry buck and roll to such an extent that the surface of the sea seemed to swing high in the air, only to plummet instantly down again; the near horizon rising and falling as if the vessel were in a fierce storm at sea. She felt the massive jolting as the boats' keel crashed into the body of the water with each roll and threshing bounce, as if it were travelling over hard granite paving-stones instead of water. One swift glance at the reeling masthead was enough to tell the Amazon Queen this particular act was not a good idea. Then, thankfully, she sank to her knees once more beside Dianthe.

“Don't worry, nearly there.” She was not, actually, so sure of her facts as she made out. “The,—the,— Gods , here hang on t'me, it's only a heavy roll,—Gods' damn this bloody water, where'd's it all come from? OK, OK, like I was sayin', we're nearly through it—just another few handspans an' we'll be there.”

As if to echo her words the boat gave one final immense heave, stuck its stubby bow into the air, sank its stern low until water broke clear into the boat from both sides, then rose on the billowing waves to shoot out of the disturbed area into much calmer waters. The difference being so immediate; so strongly contrasting with what had gone before, that the passengers could only sit or crouch in silence for an appreciable time, before finally realising they were indeed now safe.

“Well, that was somethin' t'remember, eh?” The captain strode back to his position at the mast-foot, then gazed around his domain and out over the water while he wiped a hand over his streaming face. “Pretty rough, but nothin' really out'ta the ordinary. Soon be across now.”

He took a practiced account of the wind direction; the flow of the current, now they were on the far side of the Strait from Chalcis and Euboea; the general state of surrounding traffic; then gave his crew a few well chosen orders. The ferry swung slightly to starboard, dug its bow firmly into the water; and the passengers, those who were still capable of rational thought, saw the bank of the mainland approaching at a fair pace.

Gabrielle smiled at Dianthe and Alekto, made sure the toddler and baby were fine, then took her leave of the family group with a smile which was returned in kind. In only a few steps she stood once more by Bremusa's side.

“How're things? So, you didn't desert the sinking ship, then?”

“Ha! Not but once or twice it felt as if I was gon'na be catapulted out, like a stone from one of those Roman siege-machines.” The red-haired Amazon gave a deep sigh of relief, as she held the reins of Gabrielle's Tempest and her own mount. “The ponies have done well, yours never put a foot wrong; she glanced back once, saw you standing in the waist, and then took it all in her stride.”

“Yeah, she has a strong nature.” Gabrielle stroked the mane of her brown pony lovingly. “Well, only a short distance an' we can dance on solid ground agai—”

Hephaestus' Teeth! Swing her t'port quick, Alcinous.” The captain's gruff shout swept across the deck, over the heads of the passengers, aimed at the steersman manning the tiller. “Sharp to it, man. That bloody bireme's nearly on us. Hold fast, everyone.”

Although it was that time of day when the fast treacherous counter-current disturbed the even flow of the Strait's surface this well-recognised occurence had little effect on the number of ships and boats which nonetheless passed through. At the moment various ships, with sails set or banks of oars slicing through the waves, were moving in both directions, north-west and south-east, while an amazing percentage of the whole were crossing, like the ferry, from Chalcis to the mainland or back. With all these sails and wooden hulls flitting across the surface of the Strait it was ordinarily difficult to see anything big approaching from any distance. Now, under cover of the many other vessels, the Navy bireme acting as Harbour Control Vessel had sneaked up on the hapless ferry from a point or two south of north-west. It had its huge square sail hauled out on its high mast; a vast expanse of canvas bowed into a tight curve with the wind behind it. On each side of the tall hull two rows of long oars stretched out forty feet or so to stab into and out of the water like birds scything into the sea after fish. Lines of exactly spaced white splashes ran away to stern of the huge ship, its high curved bow towering over every other boat in the vicinity; while the massive prow ram could just be seen humping the water surface immediately under the bows—and it was aiming straight for the ferry; the distance between the boats being now less than a quarter of a cable's-length. A dozen or so deep breaths and the ships would meet; the ferry slightly at an angle to the approaching bireme ram. The result, as everyone aboard the ferry realised at once, would be minor for the bireme—which would probably sail straight on some considerable distance—but catastrophic for the ferry, which would inevitably be reduced to matchwood in an instant. All now depended solely on the ferry captain and his prompt decisiveness.

Gabrielle, knowing she wouldn't be able to do anything positive in the next few moments, could only stand and watch the unfolding drama along with the rest. The captain rasped a few short sharp orders to the man by his side at the mast; then, for all his bulk, leapt along the deck like a gazelle to give his own physical support to the tiller steersman. Seeing this Gabrielle turned and chased after him, coming up to grasp the long smooth wooden arm of the tiller just behind the captain's hands.

“OK, I'll help, too. Wha'd'we do now?”

“Push it to starboard, as dam' hard as ya can. Put all your weight to it.” He glanced at the short blonde woman; recognised an Amazon, and knew he had as fine an assistant as could be wished for in such circumstances. “Push together; push hard; an' don't leave off for anythin'. Now.”

The three leant forward, pressing their hands against the wood with every scrap of strength they could muster. Gabrielle groaned with effort, sweat standing on her brow as all the surrounding noises; of scared passengers; equipment crashing along the deck; and general sounds of water and wind, seemed to seep away from her consciousness—leaving only the necessity to push this strong beam of wood away from her with as much power as she had ever thought she possessed, and more.

The rudder, feeling this unexpected surge of energy, took its cue and began to turn to starboard; edging the bow slowly round at an ever-shortening angle, but heading away to one side of the approaching menace. Time itself seemed to have lost all its youthful speed, and taken on the aspect and movement of an old woman or man, stumbling along. Standing at the tiller's side along with the two sailors Gabrielle was necessarily facing the bireme, still bearing down with detached indifference to the coming tragedy. Just as she was wishing she could wipe the salty beads of sweat from her eyes she saw the high bow curving into the air; the two plumes of white water thrown back from its powerful advance; and the general massive bulkiness of the ship, now so close she could actually make out individuals at its bow-rail gesturing energetically at the obstacle in their path.

The bireme continued its advance, seemingly with no intention of slowing; the ferry carried on its slow course; the tiller-arm seemed to have developed an immense opposition to the three puny people pushing against it; and the bow of the ferry continued turning away from the face of the danger with what, to all aboard, seemed a spiteful slowness. For Gabrielle everything in the world had stopped; all sound, she living only in a silent present; all awareness of anything or anybody near her; and all logical effort of thought on her part. She no longer felt any specific ongoing fear; just the dire, unending necessity to keep pushing against the tiller-arm for all she was worth—nothing else mattered.

“That's it! That's it!” The captain's bellow broke through Gabrielle's intense concentration, as he shouted orders to the single sailor still holding his place by the ferry's mast. “Diagoras, haul the port sheet round sharply now. Bring it two points to port. That's it. Slacken off on the tiller now. Let her go easy. She's round, at last. Thank Poseidon!”

The ferry's head had slewed round, away from its intended destination, to take it away from the shore and more towards the northern end of the Strait. The bireme, shaving the smaller boat so closely its bow-wave set the packed ferry rocking wildly again as if it were once more out in the disturbed centre-channel, ran past to starboard like a racing chariot on a Circus track. The lines of its still dancing oars stabbing the waves neatly a bare twenty feet from the ferry side. A few harsh angry shouts from someone on the bireme's high stern deck; a rush of wind and choppy water; and the danger had passed, as the bireme carried on its stately way, no slightest diminution in its speed or course showing it had any pity for the boat it had so nearly sent to Poseidon's Locker.

“Well done, girl.” The captain stood tall again by the tiller; wiping his brow once more, before putting out a horny hand to grasp Gabrielle's forearm. “Don't think we'd a'done it, without you. Thanks.”

“No bother, glad I was here.” The Amazon herself blew a deep breath from her lungs in a gesture of relief. “Hades, for a moment there I thought we were in for it.”

“Ha, the sort'a thing t'get the blood coursin' through your veins, eh?” The man laughed deep in his chest. “Yep, it's only a shallow-draughted ferry on a short crossing, but we have our moments. Well, I'd better get back t'work; we're nearly on the shore now; or will be when we've hauled round t'port again. Thanks, once more.”

Gabrielle, relieved beyond belief, staggered back along the deck. As she passed the passengers most waved an arm or shouted their grateful thanks; all realising full-well the importance her recent actions had clearly borne to their own safety. Alekto and Dianthe, on their part, also exchange d a few deeply-felt words of appreciation; Gabrielle stopping to put a hand on their shoulders and give them an encouraging grin. The only person who showed no interest in thanking her was the single man crouching against a bulwark and still, unbelievably, clutching his deerskin covered satchel to his chest for dear life. He merely vouchsafed his saviour a sour glance, then lowered his face to stare at his feet again—there was just no pleasing some people, Gabrielle thought as she strode by.

They were actually nearer the mainland coast and ferry beaching-point than anyone had expected. Within a few breaths the stony beach slid up to the ferry's stubby bow; there came a crunching of pebbles as it ran aground; then the flat bow-gate was lowered and the passengers could finally see about getting themselves ashore: this being accomplished with rather more speed and fervour than was normally the case.

In an astonishingly short space of time, the ferry was emptied, both of passengers and cargo. The captain and his crew, with what appeared amazing sang-froid, set to tackling the business of putting their battered vessel to rights, ignoring all else around them; and the variety of smells, sounds, and feelings which the mingled passengers had at one point lost sight of during the voyage, now returned to everyone with what seemed twice their ordinary force and potency.

Gabrielle and Bremusa stood by their ponies at the top of the stony sandy beach, just where yellowish tufted grass became the general ground covering. Over to their right they could see the few stone-built houses of the small mainland community which sat opposite the much greater city on the Euboean shore. To their left hand, a mere few yards away, the only visible trail or road led away in the direction of the range of low grassy hills in the distance. It would be towards these the two Amazons would soon be gratefully heading.

“Well, they all seem to be sorting themselves out.” Gabrielle glanced back over her shoulder at the surface of the Strait, light sparkling on the short undulating waves. “Gods, look at that! The whole Strait's still full of ships. Where in Hades are they all goin'? Well, I'm dam' glad t'be across it, an' no mistake. I tell you, Bremusa, if for any reason Xena decides she needs t'go t'Chalcis anytime in the near future, she's gon'na be doin' it by herself, an' that's a fact.”

“I take it you're a wood-nymph; not a water-sprite, my Queen?” The red-haired Amazon laughed gently as the two jumped into their saddles and set their ponies heads to the hills and the south.

“Dam' straight there.” Gabrielle growled, in a lugubrious tone which was only half contrived. “The only significant amount o'water I wan'na see again in the next few days are the few drops Xena'll be puttin' in my welcomin' beaker of wine when we reach Athens. Come on, let's gallop.”

 

 

The End.

 

—O—

 

To be continued in the next instalment of the ‘ Xena's Exploits' series.

 

—OOO—

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page