CHAPTER 38 C


The ship neared Saturn. They could see it on the view screen. Kacey sat in her office, an ever present coffee near her computer. She managed to finish the quarterly reports. Now that they were approaching the six month in their journey, she now had another set of reports to do. She thought the new reports were just a waste of time. After all they were just a recap of what happened during their flight. Things she had already submitted reports on in her quarterly reports.

"Bureaucratic bullshit reports" She said out loud to her empty office.

"Colonel O'Malley to the Bridge."

Kacey sighed. "On my way." She locked her computer and left her office.

Kate and Liam sat in their command chairs as they watched Saturn get closer in the view screen. They would land on Titan, the largest of Saturn's moons. From their position, they could just make out Titan.

"Distance?" Kate asked.

"One point three million kilometers, Captain."

"What is our E.T.A.?"

"Late tomorrow morning."

"Liam," Kate said softly, "Did you see the schedules for the guard flights?"

"Aye lass. Kacey's name is at the top of the lists. Are ye still thinking about stopping her?"

"I have to Liam. Her head is not in the game. There is something bothering her and unless I am satisfied that it will not get in the way of her duties, I have to clip her wings."

"Have ye talked to her or even Natalia about it?"

"I have. Both say nothing is wrong, but something is. She is back seeing Dr. Dimarco."

"That information is supposed to be private, Katie."

"It is. I am only informed when a member of the crew has appointments. Not what is discussed there. I was given full updates before, but this time Kacey did not give her permission. She is hiding something."

"Aye lass. I agree. You have to do what is best for her and the ship." Liam told her.

"Well it had to happen sooner or later. Our cease fire is about to come to an end." Kate touched her communicator. "Colonel O'Malley to the Bridge."

"On my way."

"Liam send her into my Ready room when she arrives."

"Aye Katie."

Kate went into her Ready room to prepare for the blow up she knew was coming. She stood by the window and tried to find comfort in the passing stars.

The door chimed. "Come in." Kate called out as she went to her desk. Kacey walked in. "Have a seat." Kate told her.

"What's up Kate?" Kacey asked as she sat down.

"We will be arriving at Titan late tomorrow morning."

"You needed to call me up here for that? You could have made that announcement over the communicator."

"Not just that. I was going over your schedule for the guard flights."

"Is there a problem with the schedule?"

"I am afraid there is, Kacey, I am pulling you off the schedule."

"FOR CHRIST'S SAKE, KATE,WHY?" Kacey demanded loudly as she jumped to her feet. " YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO GOD DAMNED RIGHT TO PULL ME OFF THOSE FLIGHTS."

"KACEY SIT DOWN." Kate ordered. She waited until Kacey sat back down before continuing. "I have every right to pull any person I think does not have their full attention on their duties. You have not had your head in the game for a few weeks. I have seen it, Liam, Anya and Rhea have all mentioned they think there is something bothering you."

Kacey was on her feet again. THAT IS TOTAL BULLSHIT KATE. WHAT AM I THE FAVORITE TOPIC OF CONVERSATION ON THE BRIDGE?" She snapped.
"SIT DOWN COLONEL." Kate ordered. "IT IS NOT BULLSHIT, KACEY. WE ALMOST HAD AN INTERPLANETARY INCIDENT TWO DAYS AGO BECAUSE YOU DECIDED TO PLAY CHICKEN WITH THOSE MASSES." She yelled.

"IF, I HAD, AS YOU PUT IT BEEN PLAYING CHICKEN, I WOULD HAVE GONE AT THEM ONE HELL OF A LOT FASTER THAN ONE QUARTER IMPULSE."

"NEVER THE LESS, IT IS INCIDENTS LIKE THAT, THAT MAKE ME BELIEVE THAT THERE IS SOMETHING GOING ON. NOT TO MENTION YOUR LITTLE TEMPER TANTRUM WITH YOUR HEAD PHONES."

"ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT WHEN THE THREW MY HEADPHONES?" At Kate's look she continued. "THAT WAS NOT ANY SORT OF TANTRUM. IT WAS JUST FRUSTRATION THAT WE LET AN OPPORTUNITY PASS US BY."

"CALL IT WHAT YOU WANT. YOU WERE ANGRY WHEN I ORDERED YOU TO ABORT THE MISSION. ADMIT IT."





To be continued...

Return to the Academy

 

Author's Page