CHAPTER 39 D


"Better tread carefully, Brina." Dr. McCloud stated, as she watched the tracings of the monitors spike.

"Kacey what is going on?" Dr. Dimarco asked.

"No. No... Can not do this again. Can not be here. Not again." Kacey cried out as she thrashed on the bed.

"Kacey listen to me. You are safe. You are nowhere near that dark place. Come back to Sick Bay."

Kacey's breathing and heart rate slowed. She no longer thrashed about.

"That's it. You are safe. Listen to the sound of my voice. You are safe." Dr. DiMarco told her softly. "Kacey rest for a minute then we will continue."

"What the hell caused that?" Kate demanded.

"She must have accessed the memory of shooting Castor. It is evident she is not ready to relive that time. I expected that reaction from her. When I asked her if she had experienced any flash backs of any sort, she would just looked at me. That particular memory was among those she lost. I would rather leave that particular memory in limbo. Captain I will leave that decision up to you."

Kate looked at the two concerned faces in the next room. Both women shook their heads no. "What are the chances she will remember the shooting on her own?"

"That is hard to say. She could remember it on her own when she is ready to deal with it, or it could remain lost forever."

"Leave it lost." Kate stated.

"I agree. Her brain has blocked that memory. There is no good reason to bring that all out in the open again."

"Will she remember everything else?" Kate asked.

"Yes she will. Should we continue?" Dr. Dimarco looked to Kate for permission.

"We know she remembered the events on Eternus. Will it do any good to continue?"

"That is up to you Captain. We can always come back at a later time if you feel the need."

"Lets go a little ways into the rescue of her pilots. She did not mention that earlier."

"Kacey, we are now on Eternus. Do you remember the events there?" "I was very mad at Kate for putting the video lock on me when I went to search for the stone for Natalia's engagement ring. When we returned she wanted to talk to me, but I would not talk to her. Then the EM field brought down two of my pilots we had to rescue them. She came with me."

"Did anything happen?"

"The field rattled my brain. Gave me all sorts of numbers and symbols. Knocked me off my feet."

"That is correct. Anything else?"

"I was mad at Kate for putting the video lock on me again. I thought she did that because she did not trust me. I did not know at the time that mom asked her to do that whenever we were off ship. I treated her badly. She did not deserve that. She followed every order I gave her with out complaint. She even had some good ideas that we used. I was so afraid of failing or making a mistake in front of her. We argued a lot. She was crying. I do not know if I caused that to happen. I was so sorry but I did not know if she wanted to hear my apologies. I pretended to be asleep when she came into the tent. I know she watched me. I should have tried to talk to her then. Maybe I could have tried to make things right between us."

Kate felt the tears sting her eyes as she listened to Kacey. "Stop doctor. We do not need to hear any more."

"I fully agree. This is between the two of you." Dr. DiMarco stated. "Kacey, it is time to wake up. When you open your eyes you will remember just the memories you talked about.

Kacey opened her eyes and looked around. Her eyes met Kate's. "Kate, I ..."

"That is all right little sister. How are you feeling?"

"Okay, I think the holes are gone. I don't have the feeling that there are things missing any more."

Kate and the doctors looked at each other and kept quiet.

To be continued...

Return to the Academy

 

Author's Page