Beyond the Farthest Planet

by Psyche-b

Chapter 5C

Go to Part 1


The second shuttle hovered above them, the guns fired at the cats giving the beleaguered group a chance to gain the safety of their base. They brought the injured directly into Kacey's shuttle. The shuttle landed and the Doctor ran down the ramp and into Kacey's.

Kate grabbed Kacey's arm and pulled her towards the front of the shuttle. She patted her down, to check for injuries as blood covered the front of her flight suit. Kacey pushed her hands away.

"Kate stop, none of this blood is mine." Kacey assured her. Kate hugged her sister. Kate pulled back and look into Kacey's eyes. The haunted look scared her.

"What is wrong?"

"Later, Kate. Please?"

Kate nodded. "Are you sure you are not hurt?"

"Positive. I need to check on my people."

Kate let her go to the rear of the shuttle, where the Doctor worked on the injured.

"Those pilots that are able to fly, get to your Stingers and get the Hell out of here. Return to Andromeda best possible speed." She ordered as she grabbed the radio off her belt. "Shuttle two, cover the pilots so they can get to their stingers."

"Yes ma'am." The shuttle lifted off and phasic fire burst from all the shuttles guns at the animals that surrounded the ships. The pilots ran to their Stingers and took off. "Beta and Gamma squads, under no circumstances are you to land.." She ordered.

"Roger, Colonel." The squad leaders responded. Kacey returned the radio to her belt.

"Doctor, how are they?" She asked.

"The injuries are serious, but not life threatening now. You were able to stop the bleeding and get the wounds bandaged. Your actions saved their lives. I have to stitch them both up before we take off."

"Understood, doc. We will wait here until you give us the go ahead."

"I had extra pilots brought down to get all the stingers back." Kate said.

"Thanks Kate." Kacey took off her hat and ran her hands through her hair. She walked to the front of the shuttle and looked out the windows as the Stingers lifted off. Kate hesitated for a heart beat before she joined her. Kacey sighed. "How can something so peaceful looking turn out to be so damn dangerous?"

"What is really going on in your mind?"

"What do we do now? Do we give up on this planet and look for a more human friendly one? Or maybe we just landed on the wild animal side? Maybe the other areas are safer? Maybe I should call back the pilots. Maybe..."

Kate grasped Kacey's arm. "Kacey, stop." She ordered.

Kacey took a ragged breath. "I froze Kate." She said softly. "I heard the gun shots and flashes filled my mind and I froze for a few seconds. I froze. I don't know what those flashes were. What have I not remembered yet, Kate?"

"Yes there is an incident that is still lost. But this is not the time or place to discuss it. We can talk about it when we get back to Andromeda."

"All right Kate."

The sisters stood side by side watching the area around the shuttle while the doctor worked on the injured. There was no need for words between them. Words would come later.

"Colonel you can take off now." The doctor told her."

"Gotcha." Kacey sat in the pilot's seat and put her headphones on. "Mike head back to Andromeda. We will be right behind you." She said as she started the shuttle.

"Affirmative, Colonel."

"Everyone strap in." Kacey ordered as she put on her harness. "Shamrock to Andromeda."

"Go ahead lass."

"The wounded have been treated. We are about to lift off. Our ETA is twenty minutes."

"Roger, Shamrock."

"Have stretchers and hover chairs in the Hanger to transfer the injured to Sick Bay."

"Already there, lass. Anything else you need?"

Kacey hesitated and looked at Kate. "Not at this time, dad. Shamrock out."

"Would you like me to pilot." Kate asked.

"No, thanks Kate. I brought us here, I will get us back." Kacey took one last look at the animals still milling about before she lifted off.

To be continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page