Beyond the Farthest Planet

by Psyche-b

Chapter 7C

Go to Part 1


Patricia leaned back in the comfort of Liam's strong arms. Anya resumed her vigil at the door as Natalia came in.

"How is Kate?" She asked.

"We do not know anything yet lass." Liam said.

"Is there anything I can do? Where is Kacey? Why isn't she here?"

"She ran out of here because I blamed her for Kate's injury." Patricia said with tears in her eyes. "How could I have done that? Liam go find her, please?"

"I will go." Natalia offered.

"No lass. I can find her faster." Liam stated and left. As soon as the door closed he stated. "Computer locate Colonel O'Malley's communicator."

"Colonel O'Malley's communicator is in Danny's bar."

"Ahhh lass, do you be doing anything foolish." He said as he hurried to the bar.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Patricia and Natalia joined Anya in her vigil at the door to Sick Bay as they waited for news. Silent tears flowed from her eyes.

"Anya do you want me to get the girls?" Natalia asked.

The door opened. A nurse came into the waiting room. "The Doctor will be out shortly to talk to you." She said.

"Can you tell us anything about Kate's condition?" Patricia asked.

"The Doctor will be out shortly to answer all your questions. She will explain everything." She went back into Sick Bay.

"Oh God." Anya said and leaned against the wall.

Patricia pressed her communicator. "Liam."

------------------------------------------------------------------

Liam entered the bar. The bartender pointed to the table where Kacey sat with her head still in her hands. Her untouched drink on the table. Liam slid into the booth across from her. She gave no sign that she noticed he was there until he touched her arm. She looked up, her face wet with tears.

"Kate's dead?" She said softly.

"No lass, Katie is still alive. The Doctors are still working on her."

"I have been sitting here replaying everything in my mind and it was my fault, dad."

"No lass it was not."

"Mom said..."

"You mother was very upset and worried and regrets what she said to you."

"But she still said it dad. She had to believe it."

" She sent me to find you. Come back with me."

"Liam?"

"Aye Patsy darling."

"The Doctor will be out shortly to talk to us."

"We will be right there, Patsy."

Liam stood up and held his hand to Kacey. She used a napkin to wipe her face, quickly downed the drink before she grasped her father's hand. They left the bar to return to Sick Bay.

"The women had not moved from the door. Liam and Kacey walked in. Natalia went to Kacey and held her. Kacey brought her arms up to return the embrace.

"Are you all right?"

"Not really"

Patricia went to Kacey and tried to embrace her youngest daughter. Kacey arms remain stiff at her sides.

"Kacey, I am so sorry I blamed you." Patricia said.

Wordlessly, Kacey stepped away from her mother and went to Anya's side. The door opened and the Doctor walked into the waiting area.

"The Captain is alive. We have her hooked up to a breathing machine. Her fever is still a problem. Antibiotics are not working. I have opened and cleaned the puncture wound. Right now we are using ice blankets to try to keep her fever from reaching the critical stage.

"Why don't you give her an anti venom or something?" Kacy asked.

"Without knowing exactly what sort of bee stung her, the wrong anti venom could kill her."

"It looked like a hornet only bigger." Kacey said. Does that help?"

"Unfortunately no, Colonel. There are so many different varieties, plus we are not on Earth."

"So what you are saying is that you need a sample of the exact hornet."

"Yes. If we had samples, we could develop an anti venom."

"You need samples, Doc, I will get you samples." Kacey stated.

"Kirsten, I forbid it." Patricia stated.

"How many do you need Doc?" Kacey asked ignoring her mother.

"As many as you can safely gather."

"Kirsten, No. You will not go back down there." Patricia stated again.

"Can we see her Doc?"

"Yes, but the Captain is hooked up to a breathing machine so do not be shocked when you see her." The Doctor held the door open for Anya, Patricia and Liam.

"Doc if we get those samples, how long will it take you to get an antidote made?"

"No more than two hours from the time we harvest the venom, inject it into volunteers, wait for their bodies to produce the antibodies and then take a blood sample. Once we purify the blood sample we can extract the antibodies to produce the anti venom."

"When I get back I will be your first volunteer."

"You can not do that Colonel. You could have the same reaction to the sting that the Captain did. You mother can not volunteer either. Before you ask, Natalia can not either because she is pregnant. Congratulations by the way."

"Thanks, Doc." The Doctor left the waiting room.

"Kacey be careful down there, Please?"

"I will, I promise. Talia I need you to not say anything about where I am for at least fifteen minutes."

"I will do what I can. Hopefully your mother will be so worried about Kate that she will not notice right away that you are missing."

Kacey kissed her before she ran out of the waiting area. She entered the lift. "Hanger." She said. With in seconds she exited the lift into the hanger. She made a mental note of everything she would need. "MAJOR ANDERSON." She called out. The Major was at her side immediately.

"Mike, get your full protective gear on we are going back down to get samples." She ordered. "Meet me back here in five minutes." He left her side. Kacey went to her office to get her protective gear on and to down load the area into her hand computer. She carried the gloves and helmet as she left her office. She searched the storage area for a collection bag and containment unit, before she went to her shuttle to do her pre flight checks. She quickly went through her pre flight. Mike walked into the shuttle, closed the ramp and sat in the co-pilots seat. He strapped in as Kacey taxied into position.

"Close air lock doors and lower atmosphere." She ordered.

"Kacey how are you going to find that exact nest?"

"I will land close to the point we realized Kate was in trouble and go on foot. I have a video lock clip from when she was stung so that we can find the nest. It's in the computer." I remember we were near trees. There were not a lot of trees so we should be able to find the one we need." Kacey told him. "Open Hanger doors." Kacey said. The massive doors slid opened. Kacey pushed the throttles forward and they shot out of the Hanger. With in minutes they were planet side. Kacey flew low over the planet. She slowed her speed as Mike checked the scenery against the pictures on the computer.

"There it is, Kacey."

Kacey hovered over the area. "You're right." Kacey flew a short ways away and landed her shuttle

"Kacey?" Natalia's voice came over her communicator.

"Talia, what's wrong? Is Kate..."

"She is hanging on. I wanted to warn you. Your mother is furious that you went back down there. She said she is going to bust your ass."

"She will just have to get over it. Kate's life depends on my getting samples."

"Be careful, please."

"I will."

To be continued...

 

Return to the Academy

Author's Page